PDA

View Full Version : Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:07 PM
De Gea to remain at Utd after deal collapses :haha:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Daily Bowel Evacuation reckons we're trying to get Aleksandr Kokorin on loan.

Syn
01-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Another kid. Typical. Classic Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Aleksandr Kokorin has bagged 47 goals in 196 games for Dynamo Moscow since making his debut back in 2008. He also has netted eight times during 32 appearances for Russia.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 12:13 PM
When you've had a couple more PM me, I have a little job for you.

Why don't you commit your own damn assassinations of corrupt government officials !

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Reading the daily mail tends to make me constipated, I think it's nonsense makes my muscles contract

selassie
01-09-2015, 12:14 PM

It's about the most believable rumour this summer. Why are we so cheap? Wenger has had all summer to sign a striker and he's scraping around the bargain basement for russian cast offs, honestly it's totally baffling.

Özim
01-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Aleksandr Kokorin has bagged 47 goals in 196 games for Dynamo Moscow since making his debut back in 2008. He also has netted eight times during 32 appearances for Russia.

Clearly as has been pointed out, Wenger knows exactly what he's doing, that's the reason he's been winning left right and center for the last 10 years, how dare we to question such a messiah, he's a God and we are mere dog sh*t on the bottom of his shoe.

This guy will come in score 50 goal in his 1st season, be the darling of the press and be knighted and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Kano
01-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Giroud's looking pretty pleased with himself

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNzytf2WwAATJgE.jpg

Özim
01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
It's about the most believable rumour this summer. Why are we so cheap? Wenger has had all summer to sign a striker and he's scraping around the bargain basement for russian cast offs, honestly it's totally baffling.

Apparently because being cheap means you get top, top quality players better than what we have, why would we waste millions on proven finishers when you can pick up someone who has a questionable record for a fraction of the price, it makes no sense.

Letters
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
WUMmersWeb :bow:

Munchies
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNzpfPvWsAANvP-.jpg

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Why don't you commit your own damn assassinations of corrupt government officials !

Come on, using stooges is the done thing.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Giroud's looking pretty pleased with himself

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNzytf2WwAATJgE.jpg

Hope he uses that in the next game, we could do with mobility up top.

Özim
01-09-2015, 12:27 PM
http://www.thesportbible.com/articles/arsenal-fans-erupt-following-the-news-that-the-club-will-not-sign-anyone

I like the "Do stuff" pic :lol:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:28 PM
WUMmersWeb :bow:

The failure to sign a quality striker.
The risk we're taking on Coquelin.
Playing players out of position.
Running his favourite players into the ground.
Failing to respect the opposition.
Buying shite like Sanogo.
Playing shitty, tippy tappy football against defensive bricks walls.
Failing to even compete for the title.
Failing to do anything significant in the CL.
Making lunatic substitutions.

Which of those are wind-ups, or is it the whole list?

Or did you mean to say WUMgersweb?

Kano
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Surely W h i n g e rsweb would be more appropriate. If we were allowed to say it that is.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I can see it now: "I was available 24 hours a day to make signings, but no clubs came to offer me their playa"

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Letters is doing nothing to throw off his Wenger apologist perception

Irrespective of how crap United, Chelsea and Liverpool have done, we are five points off the pace four games in.

We won all these fixtures last season, and the important takeaway from these games is a need for a better striker.

The idea that somehow our reaction is unreasonable is ridiculous....and it can only be countered by "oh well United haven't improved, Chelsea have been crap etc" who cares if we aren't taking advantage of their foul ups.

Özim
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
There's no excuses if we fail to sign anyone decent now, it's incompetence of the highest order if that's the case, yes some people will try and sugar coat it with some BS but the facts are there in black and white, everyone else has strengthened (all of our rivals) and as we know in football you should never stand still, especially when you're behind, we've done it in the past with far far better teams and paid the price.

We've had all summer to find players, if you can't find anyone in that time then frankly you shouldn't be a manager because there's no hope for you.

Apparently we've been working night and day, not sure doing what because it clearly wasn't transfers.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Sky are using FIFA 2015 style rankings for players. Just ranked Martial against Hernandez and decided the former has more technique, but 1 point.

This is science people.

Kano
01-09-2015, 12:46 PM
This is true because it's on Twatter

In Europe's top 5 leagues, only one club haven't signed an outfield player this summer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN0UkYuWcAApa90.jpg

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Just over 4 hours left for Wenger to scrape shit out of the deepest barrel.

There's certainly an element of deadline day, where's our playa? It's all a bit silly.

But we have needed a top quality striker for years now. Still no joy. Can't be done. It's impossible.

Letters
01-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Letters is doing nothing to throw off his Wenger apologist perception

Unfortunately people on here are unable to see any shades of grey.
I don't think Wenger's a bumbling incompetent ergo I think he's a genius who can do no wrong, apparently. Meh.

Irrespective of how crap United, Chelsea and Liverpool have done, we are five points off the pace four games in.
Which doesn't really matter, what matters is where we are 38 games in. Anyone who has ever seen a season of football before, let alone as many as most of us have, know that seasons ebb and flow - teams go through good runs and poor ones, a team can be 5 points clear after 4 games and have slipped down after 10.

Wenger lives and dies on results. They've not been great so far but they've not been a disaster either. If we don't sign a striker and the consequence of that is we fail to challenge then yes, he should be sacked.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't think Wenger's a bumbling incompetent ergo I think he's a genius who can do no wrong, apparently. Meh.

Which doesn't really matter, what matters is where we are 38 games in. Anyone who has ever seen a season of football before, let alone as many as most of us have, know that seasons ebb and flow - teams go through good runs and poor ones, a team can be 5 points clear after 4 games and have slipped down after 10.

Wenger lives and dies on results. They've not been great so far but they've not been a disaster either. If we don't sign a striker and the consequence of that is we fail to challenge then yes, he should be sacked.

"Wenger lives & dies on results" - does he?. For the past 10 years of failed results ( competing for major honours as per the promises made ) he only seems to have continued to live in my book. Quite a nice living as well.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 01:31 PM

He didn't sign the striker we needed last season, and we didn't compete. So why have we waited until this season to sack him? Or is the idea that we can do the loop all over again next year? And the next?

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Southampton sign Van Dijk - they've done the impossible, credit to them. Wanyama staying put. Ungettable tbf. Would have been impossible.

Özim
01-09-2015, 01:33 PM
We all know Wenger won't lose his job whether we challenge or not, 4th place is what's required and even if he missed out his job would still be safe.

We're use to this complacency with him though, time and time again he fails in the transfer market and never learns a thing, there's literally no hoppe for him, he can't and won't learn and prefers to keep the money in the bank where he can. The lines he regurgitates about top top quality and not finding better players than we have is absolute nonsense, there's plenty of better players if we looked around and better still actually made offers for them.

Letters
01-09-2015, 01:34 PM
"Wenger lives & dies on results" - does he?
Yes. Although the board's definition of what is acceptable may differ from yours.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Yes. Although the board's definition of what is acceptable may differ from yours.

What's your definition of acceptable?

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 01:38 PM
So Letters, if we fail to sign what we need in the next 3.5 hours, and Wenger isn't a bumbling, incompetent old dog, would you then be willing to concede that he is just a c***?

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 01:40 PM

When has he ever died?

Letters
01-09-2015, 01:41 PM
He didn't sign the striker we needed last season, and we didn't compete. So why have we waited until this season to sack him?
Because we've retained the FA Cup which IMO buys him a bit more time.
We have the resources to compete for the biggest prizes now, we all know we needed a top striker, if we don't compete (not necessarily win, but we need to be there or thereabouts come May) this season because of his failure to do so then yeah, #WengerOut.

Letters
01-09-2015, 01:41 PM
So Letters, if we fail to sign what we need in the next 3.5 hours, and Wenger isn't a bumbling, incompetent old dog, would you then be willing to concede that he is just a c***?

I'll concede he's French. That's my limit :sulk:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Because we've retained the FA Cup which IMO buys him a bit more time.
We have the resources to compete for the biggest prizes now, we all know we needed a top striker, if we don't compete (not necessarily win, but we need to be there or thereabouts come May) this season because of his failure to do so then yeah, #WengerOut.

So if we win the cup again that buys even more time?

Özim
01-09-2015, 01:51 PM
To be absolutely honest, Wenger has no place managing a big club these days, his ways are fine for a small club with limited funds trying to make the most of what little they have, but for a club of our size with our resources his methods are totally outdated.

All he seems interestd in is the youth policy and spending as little as possible whilst gaining the best possible position, winning trophies doesn't seem to play a big part for him and that's not a big club mentality.

Letters
01-09-2015, 01:53 PM
So if we win the cup again that buys even more time?

Not sure. Winning it 3 years in a row would be pretty impressive. Has anyone ever done that?
I think it would depend on how we do in the other competitions. Another last 16 CL exit and limping into the top 4 and probably not though.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Why is the boards definition different to mine. Do they not continue with the stance at every AGM that the intention is for the club to compete in the winning of the P.L. & C.L. - If not, they really should tell us so that those not wanting to pay the highest season ticket prices in Europe can hand their tickets in to sell to those amongst us content with 4th place. If we really are simply a 3rd/4th place team now, think it only fair the season tickets are 3rd/4th priced.
If they do agree that we moved to the Emirates to be a dominant European team then they really do need to ask their French Lovechild what the f--k he is doing. THE ONLY TEAM IN TOP 5 EUROPEAN LEAGUES NOT TO HAVE SIGNED AN OUTFIELD PLAYER - that with glaring weaknesses in the team. Gross negligence from any boss, no excuses.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

Letters you know as well as I do that calling Wenger a bumbling incompetent is hyperbole borne out of frustration from him failing to do what's necessary season in season out. I think the anger and incredulity comes from the fact that he isn't stupid but is so stubborn as to believe what worked between 1998 and 2004 will work now.
If the consensus is that a player like Arteta isn't good enough, Wenger will be the one who disagrees with that
If everyone believes we need to sign a holding midfielder and a striker, Wenger will be the dissenting opinion.
Just look at the excuses he throws out left, right and centre now that the board have confirmed what we already know to be true.....money is no longer an issue.
If he doesn't have the confidence in his own ability to improve meaningfully in all areas and make a sustained title challenge he should step down.
Chelsea and Uniteds results have clouded the issue that again we have failed to deal with the pressure of expectation.
How much time does he need to address our obvious deficiencies, surely actually making an effort to do so would help

Özim
Not sure. Winning it 3 years in a row would be pretty impressive. Has anyone ever done that?
I think it would depend on how we do in the other competitions. Another last 16 CL exit and limping into the top 4 and probably not though.

You're describing pretty much the best case scenario with Wenger as has been shown in the last 10 years, but I bet come the end of the season if he achieves that and we have another one of the short unbeaten runs he'll be forgiven and given another chance.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 02:01 PM
To be absolutely honest, Wenger has no place managing a big club these days, his ways are fine for a small club with limited funds trying to make the most of what little they have, but for a club of our size with our resources his methods are totally outdated.

All he seems interestd in is the youth policy and spending as little as possible whilst gaining the best possible position, winning trophies doesn't seem to play a big part for him and that's not a big club mentality.

Does he seem interested in our youth set up, our academy is chaotically run and produces no one and most of our youth players end up being journeymen with lower league clubs.

Özim
01-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Does he seem interested in our youth set up, our academy is chaotically run and produces no one and most of our youth players end up being journeymen with lower league clubs.

He has for years, I'm not saying it's successful, just that he puts a lot of emphasis on it with the amount of young players he signs.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Letters you know as well as I do that calling Wenger a bumbling incompetent is hyperbole borne out of frustration from him failing to do what's necessary season in season out. I think the anger and incredulity comes from the fact that he isn't stupid but is so stubborn as to believe what worked between 1998 and 2004 will work now.
If the consensus is that a player like Arteta isn't good enough, Wenger will be the one who disagrees with that
If everyone believes we need to sign a holding midfielder and a striker, Wenger will be the dissenting opinion.
Just look at the excuses he throws out left, right and centre now that the board have confirmed what we already know to be true.....money is no longer an issue.
If he doesn't have the confidence in his own ability to improve meaningfully in all areas and make a sustained title challenge he should step down.
Chelsea and Uniteds results have clouded the issue that again we have failed to deal with the pressure of expectation.
How much time does he need to address our obvious deficiencies, surely actually making an effort to do so would help

I think the "anger & incredulity" comes when answering Letter's posts. Its good though - its like having Arsene himself on GW, reading Letter's posts give you an insight into the Wenger's World & how he may view things.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM

So if we could establish ourselves as a cup club then that might just be good enough for a club of this stature? Impressive even?

And judging on how we have done over the past 10 years, how do you think we'll do this season given we'll be using the same squad and by the look of it the same tactics? On the balance of probability?

All in all, would you say the justification for retaining Wenger is wafer thin, if it exists at all? Or would you say he makes a good case for himself, looking back at the record and his current preparation for this season?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 02:20 PM
I think Letters is the white Ty

Letters sometimes there is no shades of grey, I was prepared to accept Wenger not signing players on the basis of pre season but the four league games show we are chronically lacking in the two areas we have wanted him to strengthen. Wenger is obsessed with getting a bargain and its part of his rationale to leaving it to deadline day but that argument only holds if the selling club needs the money more than the player.
Are Walcott or Giroud going to suddenly become more clinical in front of goal, is Coquelin going to last the season without injury and suspension.....because if Wenger thinks these are lesser risks than spending money on strengthening than this suggests only that he fears not being able to have a ready excuse if he fails to capture big silverware.
Lack of ruthlessness and ambition, and a stubborn determination that yesterday's successes can be emulated without adhering to today's rules.

Marc Overmars
01-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Shame no super quality like Park Chu Young is available.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Shame no super quality like Park Chu Young is available.

Is he definitely not available? Have we even checked?

Globalgunner
01-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Letters sometimes there is no shades of grey, I was prepared to accept Wenger not signing players on the basis of pre season but the four league games show we are chronically lacking in the two areas we have wanted him to strengthen. Wenger is obsessed with getting a bargain and its part of his rationale to leaving it to deadline day but that argument only holds if the selling club needs the money more than the player.
Are Walcott or Giroud going to suddenly become more clinical in front of goal, is Coquelin going to last the season without injury and suspension.....because if Wenger thinks these are lesser risks than spending money on strengthening than this suggests only that he fears not being able to have a ready excuse if he fails to capture big silverware.
Lack of ruthlessness and ambition, and a stubborn determination that yesterday's successes can be emulated without adhering to today's rules.

Ty is the black Letters

Japan Shaking All Over
01-09-2015, 02:36 PM

When I first saw this I thought it was another NQesque attempt at poetry...but then I realised no of it rhymes??

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Said ages ago that you can't do a job better when you're a pensioner as opposed to when you were in your 40's. There's no shame in it, you simply begin to lose it ( isn't that right Herbie!) - just hope he doesn't wander round Colney tomorrow scratching his head thinking - What was I supposed to do this week - oh yes, buy a striker.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 02:41 PM
When I first saw this I thought it was another NQesque attempt at poetry...but then I realised no of it rhymes??

The lyrics run quite well to the rap bit in Every Breath You Take

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Said ages ago that you can't do a job better when you're a pensioner as opposed to when you were in your 40's. There's no shame in it, you simply begin to lose it ( isn't that right Herbie!) - just hope he doesn't wander round Colney tomorrow scratching his head thinking - What was I supposed to do this week - oh yes, buy a striker.

How dare you, how dare you infer that my advanced age means I've lost capacity

That said....I've just pissed myself....and someone's told me my wife has been dead for twenty years, thought she'd asked me to go to the shop to buy some milk just now.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 02:43 PM
Ty is the black Letters

Black & White Ty but no shades of grey

Syn
01-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Hes really not. Honestly - no wumming or nuffin - anyone with at least half a brain knows he talks the most sense here (not hard, mind). It might be tedious but that's because common sense is mostly tedious when battling irrational, emotional garbage. What I don't understand is why his patience for dealing with childish mindsets is so large. And to get to the bottom of that issue, I'd be happy to be his psychiatrist for the small fee of £8m a year.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 02:49 PM
How dare you, how dare you infer that my advanced age means I've lost capacity

That said....I've just pissed myself....and someone's told me my wife has been dead for twenty years, thought she'd asked me to go to the shop to buy some milk just now.

When you slipped it in her arse in 2002 & she didn't complain - didn't you check her pulse?

Globalgunner
01-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Hes really not. Honestly - no wumming or nuffin - anyone with at least half a brain knows he talks the most sense here (not hard, mind). It might be tedious but that's because common sense is mostly tedious when battling irrational, emotional garbage. What I don't understand is why his patience for dealing with childish mindsets is so large. And to get to the bottom of that issue, I'd be happy to be his psychiatrist for the small fee of £8m a year.

I think that Tennis elbow has travelled to your brain. You both need help.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I'll concede he's French. That's my limit :sulk:

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 02:58 PM

Lot's of WUMing tbf, but an interesting misconception nonetheless. A blind reliance on reason and logic without any emotional input (which is not irrational by default) has dumped this planet in a whole bunch of shit. Because it's inhuman and the primary weapon of apologists, legitimised crooks and their lawyers - the ones who get to dictate what is reasonable. Bureaucracies thrive on reason which is why they are so out of touch with humanity. Balance gets the best results outside of a clinic. Anyway, there's no such thing as an entirely reasonable fan because you can't be a fan at all under such restrictions.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 03:00 PM
It's another classic transfer window, everyone pissed (one way or another), Letters doing his PR routine, the usual talk of necrophilia but not a sign of a transfer. Less than 2 hours to go.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Explain to me exactly how we are being irrational

Please by all means refute how we are wrong to be frustrated with being charged the highest ticket prices in Europe and seeing season in season out the manager being passive in the transfer market.

What you are seeing is people tired of being patient to no good purpose when the board are reeneging on promises made to the fan base about the direction this club is headed.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:04 PM
When you slipped it in her arse in 2002 & she didn't complain - didn't you check her pulse?

Do you go about anal sex with your partner of choice by means of subterfuge then?.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Do you go about anal sex with your partner of choice by means of subterfuge then?.

Absolutely - its the only way

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Spuds get knocked back after third bid for Berahino - Pulis has gone home apparently.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Absolutely - its the only way

I think I should tell you now, that I won't be a character witness for you in court

Then again these things can be a vicious cycle, how many times were you Ted Heath's "guest" on the Morning Cloud?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Spuds get knocked back after third bid for Berahino - Pulis has gone home apparently.

And Berahino has gone to his car to do Nitrous Oxide out of party balloons

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Villa signed Lescott -:haha: - good old Tim, wasting more money Villa don't have.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 03:23 PM
And Berahino has gone to his car to do Nitrous Oxide out of party balloons

Berahino's knocking them back. He plays for West Brom, doesn't want to drop down a level & sign for Spurs. Doesn't want to partner Rodney Trotter upfront.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Ok guys - 90 minutes to go. I reckon Wenger may make a move in the 68th minute!

Marc Overmars
01-09-2015, 03:25 PM
This summer is unprecedented really, I can't think of another transfer window where we didn't have at least some hope of landing a player or 2. Apart from Benzema, there really hasn't been a name that we've consistently been linked with. I guess the signs were there weeks ago that this would be a damp squib.

After a couple of seasons of solid activity, WUMger is back with a vengeance.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:28 PM
This summer is unprecedented really, I can't think of another transfer window where we didn't have at least some hope of landing a player or 2. Apart from Benzema, there really hasn't been a name that we've consistently been linked with. I guess the signs were there weeks ago that this would be a damp squib.

After a couple of seasons of solid activity, WUMger is back with a vengeance.

Twelve years ago Lehmann was really our only signing, and Clichy was signed for 500k I think

The difference is, we didn't have a pot to piss in then.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Ok guys - 90 minutes to go. I reckon Wenger may make a move in the 68th minute!

That was 2 years ago FFS! Then he made sweeping changes and now it's 72 mins.

He's fucked this up big time. His last chance and he's blown it. Until his next last chance, and the last chance after.

Syn
01-09-2015, 03:33 PM
People that were expecting more are morons. Called it from the moment we signed Cech. Only chance of signing another forward was if Walcott left. We have enough number wise. Some had to go - he probably couldn't find buyers for some, and was scared to sell others like Jack. Fine, I can understand that. And fair play to him for getting rid of Szczesny when a superior keeper was available. He might've done the same with Walcott if a top striker option was available. The problem was last summer. No point signing players like Welbz and Debuchy. 2 valuable squad places filled up for no reason. Too scared of losing Sagna and surprisingly not enough faith put in Bellerin who looked class from day 1.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 03:43 PM
4th bid for Berahino. Pulis has gone on holiday.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 03:44 PM
People that were expecting more are morons. Called it from the moment we signed Cech. Only chance of signing another forward was if Walcott left. We have enough number wise. Some had to go - he probably couldn't find buyers for some, and was scared to sell others like Jack. Fine, I can understand that. And fair play to him for getting rid of Szczesny when a superior keeper was available. He might've done the same with Walcott if a top striker option was available. The problem was last summer. No point signing players like Welbz and Debuchy. 2 valuable squad places filled up for no reason. Too scared of losing Sagna and surprisingly not enough faith put in Bellerin who looked class from day 1.

You honestly think we have too many players? Even when half of them won't stay fit over the course of a season

It's ridiculous to suggest that if he felt he needed to improve his squad that he had to wait for his squad to thin out first, we aren't in a position where we are likely to be crippled by our wage bill so we should have strengthened and then afterwards encouraged those surplus to requirements to find other clubs.

It's just another excuse for Wenger failing to be proactive.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Austin staying at RPQ

Syn
01-09-2015, 03:51 PM
You honestly think we have too many players? Even when half of them won't stay fit over the course of a season

It's ridiculous to suggest that if he felt he needed to improve his squad that he had to wait for his squad to thin out first, we aren't in a position where we are likely to be crippled by our wage bill so we should have strengthened and then afterwards encouraged those surplus to requirements to find other clubs.

It's just another excuse for Wenger failing to be proactive.

In every position we have enough players numbers wise. That injuries are a problem are something the club are silly not to deal with or take into account. We have 3 DMs even though 2 of them aren't at the level we need them to be. And 4 strikers even though 3 of them aren't at the level we need them to be. Read my post - I'm clearly not making an excuse - if you think I am, you're being as retarded as the time you thought Aaron Ramsey wasn't going to be a good footballer. Easy to keep flipping out and moaning your tits off - and since you were looking for it - you can regard that as a rough proof of the irrational and emotional, childish reactions I was talking about.

Globalgunner
We could do a last minute deal and get Diaby back for 2m. Technically it would be classified as a new signing

Edinburgh Gooner
Betfred have slashed odds of zlatan signing to 5/1 hahahaha

The Wengerbabies
01-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Forgot it was deadline day. Just had a quick look and not surprisingly we have done fuck all.

Doesn't look like we'll top Welbeck.

Fuck off Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
In every position we have enough players numbers wise. That injuries are a problem are something the club are silly not to deal with or take into account. We have 3 DMs even though 2 of them aren't at the level we need them to be. And 4 strikers even though 3 of them aren't at the level we need them to be. Read my post - I'm clearly not making an excuse - if you think I am, you're being as retarded as the time you thought Aaron Ramsey wasn't going to be a good footballer. Easy to keep flipping out and moaning your tits off - and since you were looking for it - you can regard that as a rough proof of the irrational and emotional, childish reactions I was talking about.

I've never seen so many excuses in my life :doh:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Betfred have slashed odds of zlatan signing to 5/1 hahahaha

For which club? Obviously not us.

Edinburgh Gooner
01-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Us lol.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 04:10 PM

We don't have two players in every position we have an unbalanced squad

Because when we mention players like Walcott or Welbeck we are saying they are cover for wide position as well as up front

When it comes to an out and out striker we have one and that's Giroud.

And again your argument is predicated on the idea that we can't sign players without getting rid of those we have who aren't good enough first, which as I've said is just a Wenger esque excuse. You believe that the situation we find ourselves in is acceptable in if you want, but I think you will have trouble gaining any traction.

I'm not with the anyone is better than Wenger brigade, nor do I think we are alone in premier league clubs with a frustrated fan base.
But I think to believe he couldn't have tried harder to be more proactive in the market place and that we couldn't have significantly strengthened is ridiculous.

For me Ramsey is still a flawed player, although he's brought goals to his game....I think him playing in Ozils position showed more how we missed the German more than showcased Ramseys abilities

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Martial has signed for Utd - £36mill.

Kano
01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
We don't have two players in every position we have an unbalanced squad

Because when we mention players like Walcott or Welbeck we are saying they are cover for wide position as well as up front

When it comes to an out and out striker we have one and that's Giroud.

And again your argument is predicated on the idea that we can't sign players without getting rid of those we have who aren't good enough first, which as I've said is just a Wenger esque excuse. You believe that the situation we find ourselves in is acceptable in if you want, but I think you will have trouble gaining any traction.

I'm not with the anyone is better than Wenger brigade, nor do I think we are alone in premier league clubs with a frustrated fan base.
But I think to believe he couldn't have tried harder to be more proactive in the market place and that we couldn't have significantly strengthened is ridiculous.

For me Ramsey is still a flawed player, although he's brought goals to his game....I think him playing in Ozils position showed more how we missed the German more than showcased Ramseys abilities
No what I think Syn is saying - not from his high horse this time - is right. From Wenger's perspective, we have the right numbers in the squad. There is sufficient competition for every place from Wenger's perspective.

Which in reality is deluded nonsense of course because one have one good striker, no wide men at all and a YTS DM.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Us lol.

LOL

Joker

We aren't signing anyone. It's impossible to sign players and nobody out there is better than Giroud. We definitely don't need cover for Coquelin because there's no chance of him getting injured or suspended and he can easily play 60 games in a system where he is desperately exposed.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:19 PM
No what I think Syn is saying - not from his high horse this time - is right. From Wenger's perspective, we have the right numbers in the squad. There is sufficient competition for every place from Wenger's perspective.

Which in reality is deluded nonsense of course because one have one good striker, no wide men at all and a YTS DM.

Yes, but it's becoming increasingly clear that there's something wrong with Wenger's brain.

Kano
01-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Berahino weeping on Twatter, saying he'll never play again for the club.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Is he really saying that though? I'd rather him answer for himself

Don't get me wrong if the aim is top four the squad is fine, I still think we will probably finish third and if Chelsea consider to flounder possibly second.

I don't think the squad is terrible, if we use Welbeck on the wing I think we have enough pace and width without further additions.

But cover for Coquelin and a better striker weren't just a bonus, they were a MUST

Marc Overmars
01-09-2015, 04:25 PM

He's a bit of a cunt really.

alexander
01-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Lots of footballers are loathsome pieces of shite.

Kano
01-09-2015, 04:33 PM
He's a bit of a cunt really.

Second rate Brazilian name, first rate cunthole

alexander
01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
I hate this last day of the transfer window. A massive marketing ploy by Sky TV, building it up more than it ever needed to be. Like everything in life these days, its all over-hyped to hell.

Letters
01-09-2015, 04:37 PM
So if we could establish ourselves as a cup club then that might just be good enough for a club of this stature? Impressive even?
No, I said it depends on how we do in the other competitions.

And judging on how we have done over the past 10 years, how do you think we'll do this season given we'll be using the same squad and by the look of it the same tactics? On the balance of probability?
The last 10 years are increasingly irrelevant the further back you go, the last 2 years when the financial constraints came off and we started spending money (not this summer, it seem though) are more relevant. How I think we'll do - Cups, well you can never tell in those so I'll concentrate on the league. We'll definitely finish top 4, I'm hoping for a proper title challenge. I think we're good enough although we should have signed a striker this summer and if we don't and we don't challenge then on Wenger's head be it.

All in all, would you say the justification for retaining Wenger is wafer thin, if it exists at all? Or would you say he makes a good case for himself, looking back at the record and his current preparation for this season?

I think the last couple of years have bought him some time, this summer's business - or lack thereof - is disappointing and if we don't challenge because of it then he should be sacked.

Bumble
01-09-2015, 04:41 PM
On the plus side, in 4 months time we can start a winter transfer speculation thread.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I think the last couple of years have bought him some time, this summer's business - or lack thereof - is disappointing and if we don't challenge because of it then he should be sacked.

Let it be known that on the 1st September 2015, this statement was made by Letters and he shall be reminded of such next May.
May you live or die by your words Letters

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 04:44 PM
On the plus side, in 4 months time we can start a winter transfer speculation thread.

4 months??? I think you'll find one up and running in twenty minutes

Syn
01-09-2015, 04:45 PM

The last 10 years are increasingly irrelevant the further back you go, the last 2 years when the financial constraints came off and we started spending money (not this summer, it seem though) are more relevant. How I think we'll do - Cups, well you can never tell in those so I'll concentrate on the league. We'll definitely finish top 4, I'm hoping for a proper title challenge. I think we're good enough although we should have signed a striker this summer and if we don't and we don't challenge then on Wenger's head be it.

Too reasonable. Can you throw a hissy fit? It might make the others feel better.

Kano
01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Let it be known that on the 1st September 2015, this statement was made by Letters and he shall be reminded of such next May.

Yes die Letters!

alexander
01-09-2015, 04:48 PM

I admire you Letters (no homo). Your continual battle defending Wenger against NQ is admirable. As frustrated as I get with the old guy, he always seems to win me over, and this evening i will be pissed off that we have not signed a striker, I will soon forget it and get ready to secure 3-4th place. TBH its our place, City and Chavs are too rich, ManU too, so I just console myself that we are best of the rest.

Kano
Too reasonable. Can you throw a hissy fit? It might make the others feel better.

Aaand he's back on the horse again.

Niall_Quinn

18 minutes to go before the window closes and with his failure to act, yet again, surely the last 10 years are more relevant then ever? We've been here with Wenger, just a little short of having a seriously competitive team. But he's incapable of taking that final step.

The fact he's not going to be sacked today tells us all we need to know about the board and the ambitions they have for this club (by which I mean themselves).

Complacency and negligence - these are Wenger's two prime attributes in the tail end of his career. Sad but also very frustrating we're stuck with him.

Syn
01-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Aaand he's back on the horse again.

Aaaaand I don't give a fuck.

alexander
01-09-2015, 04:50 PM
They are just feeding the paper into the fax machine to PSG.
Zlatan is coming....<_<

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:53 PM
They are just feeding the paper into the fax machine to PSG.
Zlatan is coming....<_<

Yes, but they have taken the plug off too. So not a done deal yet.

Marc Overmars
01-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Well we can only hope these players raise their game for a manger who has once again shown an incredible amount of faith in them. Certainly more than any other manager has and ever will give them.

Power n Glory
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Joel Campbell hasn't gone anywhere, right? :unsure:

Can he play up front? Like a new signing?

Letters
01-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Yes die Letters!

That's German, right?

Letters
01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Also, who uses fax machines in this day and age?! Why is this all done by fax?

Kano
01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Aaaaand I don't give a fuck.

That's too edgy for me. You win.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Joel Campbell hasn't gone anywhere, right? :unsure:

Can he play up front? Like a new signing?

Did Flamini manage to hang on too?

Maestro
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
:clap: absolutely brilliant bit of business by our club and manager

Özim
01-09-2015, 04:58 PM
We all know where we'll be at the end of the season, same place we always are battling for a CL spot, that's all we're good for and all that is just for money anyway, it's not like we have a hope in hell of ever progressing into the later stages of that competition, we're as predictable as they come, probably what they board like, they know what they're getting every season.

Was it Letters who said football is unpredictable? Not at Arsenal.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Well we can only hope these players raise their game for a manger who has once again shown an incredible amount of faith in them. Certainly more than any other manager has and ever will give them.

At least raise their game until 4th is secure. Then they can relax.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Twenty seconds to go.

alexander

Because a fax is actually a legal document, unlike an email.
True story.

Niall_Quinn
Windows slams shut!

Nice one Wenger.

Marc Overmars

Probably the quickest way actually in terms of sending a contract and getting it back with a signature.

Kano
01-09-2015, 05:01 PM

If you weren't such a credible poster, I'd laugh at your demented optimism.

Although I still might.

Gooner23
And it slaaamms shut.

Power n Glory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdKBS8VNnk

Like a new signing.

Kano
Because a fax is actually a legal document, unlike an email.
True story.

You're dead right (homo)

alexander
01-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Clearly there was no `top top quality` out there. None at all. Not one. Not one player in the whole of the world that was better than Giroud or Feo....

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 05:05 PM
On the bright side - all that lovely cash, the most we've ever had. Sitting safe and secure in the deepest, darkest vault.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
It seems that it's not over yet.

Brian Swanson has just explained that the premier league will slow a further two hours for clubs to do their business if they can provide proof & relevant paperwork that a deal for a player has been agreed and they have until 8pm.

Which means......

It's still on.....!!!!!!!

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
It seems that it's not over yet.

Brian Swanson has just explained that the premier league will slow a further two hours for clubs to do their business if they can provide proof & relevant paperwork that a deal for a player has been agreed.

Which means......

It's still on till 8pm!!!!!!!

Only for clubs that have a deal in progress. Unless we have kept things completely secret then that doesn't mean us.

It's over. We're going with Owen Gol up front :doh:

GP
01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Every player we signed this window is genuine world class.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 05:16 PM
We can only hope Welbeck's injury absence has included his legs being replaced so that they can be controlled by his brain. Thus when telling his legs to shoot at the corner of the net, they will now do so. If so, I suggest we stick with either him or Theo up top, Sanchez & Ox either side. Giroud to only make an appearance if all else is lost. Would we not have been better loaning Giroud out to Hull & keeping Akpon. Don't suppose Brucey wanted him though.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Every player we signed this window is genuine world class.

Its the one good thing - we can't argue with who Wengers bought.

Master Splinter
01-09-2015, 05:23 PM
Windows slams shut!

Nice one Wenger.

Should have upgraded.

#windows10

tgb
01-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Stuck with the old stuff

#windows 8.1

Özim
01-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Wenger is still on Windows 3.1, he'll upgrade when there's something better out there, but right now he's happy with what he's got and spending isn't always the answer.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 05:35 PM
On to the international break then.

Followed by 34 more games of tippy tappy.

Master Splinter
01-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Rafa had a full-back fetish.

Spurs had a defensive midfielder fetish.

Now Sherwood has a centre-back fetish.

And Wenger earns £8 million and Arsenal have £200m in the bank.

Özim
01-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Wenger sucks all the excitement out of transfer windows and the season, expect the usual snoozefest this season, great football my arse, our mythical football is dull and predictable. Can't stand the guy.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 05:50 PM
So it seems that the deals have fallen through because we wouldn't meet the fees being asked.

Wenger can fuck off tbh.

Özim
01-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Wenger can fuck off tbh.

:goodpost:

selassie
01-09-2015, 05:54 PM
You're describing pretty much the best case scenario with Wenger as has been shown in the last 10 years, but I bet come the end of the season if he achieves that and we have another one of the short unbeaten runs he'll be forgiven and given another chance.

So it seems that the deals have fallen through because we wouldn't meet the fees being asked.

Wenger can fuck off tbh.

Pretty much every window, if the price doesn't meet Wengers valuation that's it, he pulls the plug.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 05:57 PM
tbf I don't think I'd have paid £50mill for Cavani either.

Especially seeing as I don't have £50mill.

Ollie the Optimist
01-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Of all the big names that have moved, I'm not sure any of them would have been starters for us. Vidal possibly, but then he would replace Ramsey and thats a waste. Pedro, De Bryne, sterling, all are good players but i don't think they are starters for us, and certainly not for the prices they went for. In my mind, Schnerdlein is no better then Coquelin.

I would have loved us to have signed a Cavani or Benezema, but by all accounts we tried and actually offered serious money (well at least we did for Benezema), yet madrid didn't want to sell. Not much you can do about that but there is no doubting Wenger tried. Some strikers who moved this window, are not better then giroud, so there is no point wasting money just to have a signing.

Wenger has decided to place his faith again in his squad, but this time, it is a squad that has won 4 trophies in two seasons, that has produced some big performances unlike previous ones and actually looked like challenging. Its much easier to believe in a squad that has a world class player in every area (Cech, Koscienly, Ozil, Sanchez) with some fantastic players to compliment them (Ramsey,, Ox, Theo, Cazorla). I think this squad can challenge, possibly even win, we had an exceptional second half of the season last year, one which was helped massively by managing to keep players fit, which we couldn't in the first half. If that stays the same, and midfielders score more (which was a problem last year) then I think we really will challenge. This is a good squad, one which would have been helped by a world class striker, but that sadly couldn't happen, but not because of lack of trying.

However, this really is last chance saloon. Wenger has assembled a very good squad in my opinion, but they and he have to deliver this year.

Özim
01-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Wenger wouldn't pay 50 million is he had 500 billion

Özim
01-09-2015, 06:07 PM
Of all the big names that have moved, I'm not sure any of them would have been starters for us. Vidal possibly, but then he would replace Ramsey and thats a waste. Pedro, De Bryne, sterling, all are good players but i don't think they are starters for us, and certainly not for the prices they went for. In my mind, Schnerdlein is no better then Coquelin.

I would have loved us to have signed a Cavani or Benezema, but by all accounts we tried and actually offered serious money (well at least we did for Benezema), yet madrid didn't want to sell. Not much you can do about that but there is no doubting Wenger tried. Some strikers who moved this window, are not better then giroud, so there is no point wasting money just to have a signing.

Wenger has decided to place his faith again in his squad, but this time, it is a squad that has won 4 trophies in two seasons, that has produced some big performances unlike previous ones and actually looked like challenging. Its much easier to believe in a squad that has a world class player in every area (Cech, Koscienly, Ozil, Sanchez) with some fantastic players to compliment them (Ramsey,, Ox, Theo, Cazorla). I think this squad can challenge, possibly even win, we had an exceptional second half of the season last year, one which was helped massively by managing to keep players fit, which we couldn't in the first half. If that stays the same, and midfielders score more (which was a problem last year) then I think we really will challenge. This is a good squad, one which would have been helped by a world class striker, but that sadly couldn't happen, but not because of lack of trying.

However, this really is last chance saloon. Wenger has assembled a very good squad in my opinion, but they and he have to deliver this year.

Where do you start with a post like this? There's a host of better players we could have signed had we bothered to try.

As for Benzema, Cavani, if and it's a big if, we tried to sign them we should have maybe been more realistic, Real had barely a striker up front so why would they sell? Again PSG are loaded so why approach them in the last day or two when they can't replace him, they don't need to sell, it's a joke that we think we can go after players like this and allegedly chase them for months thinking that it's going to happen.

He's put his faith in the squad alright, they won't deliver though, the FA Cup is about their limit, leave the major trophies to the big boys who know what they're doing, just like last season, we'll just make up the numbers in the CL and do our usual collapse if we come within a sniff of 1st place, that's what we're good at, our limit is a CL spot we know this.

This squad is vastly overrated, yes we won an FA Cup or two, however in the past when clubs have won it, it's been laughed at as not that important so I don't see how it's suddenly a major trophy now we've won it, nice to win without a doubt but it's a secondary trophy behind the big prizes we never challenge for.

Sorry there's no excuses for the guy now, nowhere to hide, he's had all summer to find someone decent, every other club has managed to get players, if he can't do it he's not up to the job, you can't make excuses for him, not when he should have had his targets in mind (a list of them) and should have gone for them early on to get them signed or not signed allowing him to move on.

Sick of his BS, lies and nonsense, he needs to move on to a small club where his lack of ambition and unwillingness to spend fits in with the budget, not manage a club suppose to be one of the biggest in the world.

milla
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Can't find quality goal scoring CF? Then get a goal scoring wide forward, there are quite a few good ones in the market ex Grizmann, Reus etc. Feo and Ox are not consistent enough, to play week in and week out. :coffee:

fakeyank
01-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Glad that Wenger didnt spend much this window. He wouldnt have achieved much anyway. His tactics are as bad as it gets and he cant motivate the team unless 4th place is in jeopardy. Thanks for leaving the cash for a real football manager in 2017.

Now please fuck off Arsene.. ktnxbye! :wave:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 06:23 PM

More importantly what would you do with him if you did have 50 million?.

Get him to mow the lawn on a Sunday, get him to pick the kids from school or engage in sexual congress with the wife if the previous nights drunken escapades have taken a detrimental effect on the libido?.

Ollie the Optimist
01-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Where do you start with a post like this? There's a host of better players we could have signed had we bothered to try.

As for Benzema, Cavani, if and it's a big if, we tried to sign them we should have maybe been more realistic, Real had barely a striker up front so why would they sell? Again PSG are loaded so why approach them in the last day or two when they can't replace him, they don't need to sell, it's a joke that we think we can go after players like this and allegedly chase them for months thinking that it's going to happen.

He's put his faith in the squad alright, they won't deliver though, the FA Cup is about their limit, leave the major trophies to the big boys who know what they're doing, just like last season, we'll just make up the numbers in the CL and do our usual collapse if we come within a sniff of 1st place, that's what we're good at, our limit is a CL spot we know this.

This squad is vastly overrated, yes we won an FA Cup or two, however in the past when clubs have won it, it's been laughed at as not that important so I don't see how it's suddenly a major trophy now we've won it, nice to win without a doubt but it's a secondary trophy behind the big prizes we never challenge for.

Sorry there's no excuses for the guy now, nowhere to hide, he's had all summer to find someone decent, every other club has managed to get players, if he can't do it he's not up to the job, you can't make excuses for him, not when he should have had his targets in mind (a list of them) and should have gone for them early on to get them signed or not signed allowing him to move on.

Sick of his BS, lies and nonsense, he needs to move on to a small club where his lack of ambition and unwillingness to spend fits in with the budget, not manage a club suppose to be one of the biggest in the world.

I like the fact you constantly belittle the manager for having no ambition, only settling for second best etc etc, and then call it a joke when he tries to sign world class strikers. I mean there is shifting the goalposts, and then theres that.

milla
01-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Get him to mow the lawn on a Sunday, get him to pick the kids from school or engage in sexual congress with the wife if the previous nights drunken escapades have taken a detrimental effect on the libido?.

Probably the same thing Wumger did, nothing. :coffee:

Özim
01-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I like the fact you constantly belittle the manager for having no ambition, only settling for second best etc etc, and then call it a joke when he tries to sign world class strikers. I mean there is shifting the goalposts, and then theres that.

He's a joke end of.

Allegedly tried to sign, there's no proof, just press nonsense, even if he did, he went for players who really weren't realistic because he's as cheap as they come and those players were never going to be sold by these rich clubs for peanuts, even if they were available (Benzema clearly wasn't)

PGFC
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Walk away Ollie, walk away.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 06:35 PM

I'd stick him on the porch bench and get Ramsey to mow the lawn.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 06:36 PM

The fact that we only went for Benzema and Cavani suggests Wenger was happy with what he had rather than acknowledging the need for a better striker than Giroud, and should have been sent his scouting network to scour the continent and possibly others to make sure that we had it covered.
No one is advocating what United have done with Martial, I don't necessarily think it's a panic buy but who knows if they have done their homework to ascertain whether he will prove to be worth the gamble or will be the next Freddy Adu.

There is an issue of valuation, if a club values a player higher than Wenger values him than we won't do a deal, that is ridiculous....

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
I'd stick him on the porch bench and get Ramsey to mow the lawn.

Good idea, Ramsey needs to re familiarise himself with hard work. Set him a time limit for mowing front and back so he won't trundle around your garden the way he trundles back when we've lost possession.

fakeyank
01-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Did we even try? There is no solid evidence that we even tried. And IF we did, why did we start so late?

Not that it matters.. lets just wait for the manager to piss off in 2017 and become an actual football club.

Ollie the Optimist
01-09-2015, 06:42 PM
He's a joke end of.

Allegedly tried to sign, there's no proof, just press nonsense, even if he did, he went for players who really weren't realistic because he's as cheap as they come and those players were never going to be sold by these rich clubs for peanuts, even if they were available (Benzema clearly wasn't)

I like how you ignore evidence that contradicts your point. Mesut Ozil was unavailable to sign, and we managed to sign and paid a record fee. The next season, we again went to a big club and signed another world class player for a lot of money. But hey, wenger is cheap.

The players that were realistic, were bentekke, lambert, dzecko etc, none of those are an upgrade on Giroud so would have been a waste. The players that we needed are the world class strikers, sadly there aren't many of those around, so we had to try to get one from a big club. My, that actually sounds quite ambitious from someone who is not ambitious.

You can't slate a manager for being unambitious, and then slate him for trying to sign ambitious players. That just makes you look like an idiot

Ollie the Optimist
01-09-2015, 06:43 PM
The fact that we only went for Benzema and Cavani suggests Wenger was happy with what he had rather than acknowledging the need for a better striker than Giroud, and should have been sent his scouting network to scour the continent and possibly others to make sure that we had it covered.
No one is advocating what United have done with Martial, I don't necessarily think it's a panic buy but who knows if they have done their homework to ascertain whether he will prove to be worth the gamble or will be the next Freddy Adu.

There is an issue of valuation, if a club values a player higher than Wenger values him than we won't do a deal, that is ridiculous....

That doesn't even make sense.

And united purchase of Martial is the definition of a panic buy.

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Wengcunt has no business getting involved in the transfer fees.
He should be able to get involved with the negotiations to convince the player he wants him, but that is where his involvement has to end.

Give the board your list and let them work out the figures.

The guy is a fucking liability. I don't care if he wins everything this year, I cannot wait for him to fuck off.

Master Splinter
01-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Arsene Wengcunt :bow:.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 06:58 PM

It does make sense it means that if we clearly identified a need for a striker (which we should have) we should have been exploring all options

It depends really, if they intend to use him right away it is....if he's an investment for the future and they are signing him before any club gets their hands on him than not really. It's a massive gamble for a 19 year old either way

Özim
01-09-2015, 07:10 PM
I like how you ignore evidence that contradicts your point. Mesut Ozil was unavailable to sign, and we managed to sign and paid a record fee. The next season, we again went to a big club and signed another world class player for a lot of money. But hey, wenger is cheap.

The players that were realistic, were bentekke, lambert, dzecko etc, none of those are an upgrade on Giroud so would have been a waste. The players that we needed are the world class strikers, sadly there aren't many of those around, so we had to try to get one from a big club. My, that actually sounds quite ambitious from someone who is not ambitious.

You can't slate a manager for being unambitious, and then slate him for trying to sign ambitious players. That just makes you look like an idiot

Ozil wasn't unavailable at all, Real had just signed a plethora of midfielders, they were overloaded and they were looking to sell a player or two,

Sanchez was available after Barca decided he wasn't part of their plans after not really making it there, both players were available, both very good but neither were exactly what we needed (though I'm glad we got them).

Yes Wenger is cheap, Ozil was a pressure signing after he'd failed to sign anyone decent and everyone was getting on his back, he's spent next to nothing in 10 years and has haggled over the odd million here and there and missed out on top quality, sorry but in the transfer market he's the definition of a joker.

There's loads of players better than Giroud and co including Benteke, but you can find better players if you bothered looking (El Shaarawy, Martinez, Lacazette to name but three), it seems that we with our collection of scouts can't identify any players than the chumps we have who couldn't hit a barndoor with a banjo and that's seemingly been the case for years now.

Kano
01-09-2015, 07:24 PM

KSE Comedy Club
01-09-2015, 07:25 PM

I know, I'm quite proud of it tbh :)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 07:32 PM
I prefer l'ouiseau as my favourite term for Wenger because of his thin crane like legs and his avian features

Power n Glory
01-09-2015, 07:36 PM

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2015/07/15/13586692/wenger-arsenal-already-have-enough-quality-to-challenge-for

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9924856/wenger-arsenal-do-not-need-new-striker

Wenger said it plenty of times, but he wants goals from the midfield and hinted at the fact that he felt we had enough goals from our forwards.

Kano
01-09-2015, 07:36 PM

I don't think he means...what I think be means is....actually, don't worry.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 07:49 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2015/07/15/13586692/wenger-arsenal-already-have-enough-quality-to-challenge-for

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9924856/wenger-arsenal-do-not-need-new-striker

Wenger said it plenty of times, but he wants goals from the midfield and hinted at the fact that he felt we had enough goals from our forwards.

Why do I get the feeling that you're disagreeing with me even though essentially we are saying the same thing.

Power n Glory
01-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Why do I get the feeling that you're disagreeing with me even though essentially we are saying the same thing.

I'm agreeing with you for once.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Us. :haha:

What a waste of time.

Özim
01-09-2015, 07:57 PM
A manager who expects the bulk of goals to come from midfield rather than his forwards :rolleyes:

Here's an idea, why not sign a player who can get you 25-30 goals up front, then any goals from midfield are a bonus, he needs his head checked with some of his theories, he's been obsessed with goals from midfield, goalscoring midfielders are few and far between and we don't really seem to have any, even when we did we had a top striker who would get loads of goals up front.

I can still remember when he first came out with this 1 striker formation where he expected the 5 midfielders to score the bulk of the goals, it never worked then and won't work now, it always made us look toothless and watching the midfielders miss chance after chance was painful, but then he's always been totally obsessed with midfielders (well ever since his winning teams, which it could be perceived achieved the trophy haul due to leadership on the field with minimal input from the sideless), he's been overloading us with midfielders for years now, hence the reason we stick central players out wide and barely have any natural wingers.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm agreeing with you for once.

I half agree with Wenger as well, in that we should be getting more goals from our midfield. Don't get me wrong another striker was vital but Ox, Ozil and Cazorla need to be chopping in with goals more this season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 08:09 PM
A manager who expects the bulk of goals to come from midfield rather than his forwards :rolleyes

I think what he was saying is that we were over relying on Giroud and Sanchez to win us games and that our midfield should provide more supplementary goal power. And whilst I think we did obviously need a better striker, I do agree that we need more goals coring contribution from midfield.

Özim
01-09-2015, 08:14 PM
I think what he was saying is that we were over relying on Giroud and Sanchez to win us games and that our midfield should provide more supplementary goal power. And whilst I think we did obviously need a better striker, I do agree that we need more goals coring contribution from midfield.

Goals from midfield are largely a bonus, we don't have a goalscoring midfielder (and they are pretty rare to be honest) so realistically we'll only get a handful from each midfielder over a season, they don't really have an eye for goal like Pires or Ljundberg have so expecting loads of goals from them isn't realistic. First and foremost your forward line should provide most of your goals and by having top strikers it free's up space for midfielders as teams want to keep the ball away from goalscorers. Sadly we have a sack of shite up front (other than Sanchez who isn't an out and out forward anyway) who couldn't hit a barn door so the opposition don't have to worry too much about them.

It's ironic, Wenger has changed everything about the way the team plays since 2005 and yet he's desperate to get back to the days when our midfielders bagged 20 goals a season, trouble is those were natural finishers, you can't teach that.

Dein-machine
01-09-2015, 08:20 PM

Quality Jeebs - even better if you can get it on a banner & put it next to the pricks with the " In Arsene we trust" banner at the Emirates

McNamara That Ghost...
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
I've got to say, Wenger has to be a masochist. One bad result at the Emirates and it's back to the horrific poisonous atmosphere - why put so much pressure on yourself?

Weirdo.

Power n Glory
01-09-2015, 08:30 PM
I half agree with Wenger as well, in that we should be getting more goals from our midfield. Don't get me wrong another striker was vital but Ox, Ozil and Cazorla need to be chopping in with goals more this season.

We need more goals from midfield but can Wenger get that from his players? In fact, can he get them scoring goals whilst being sound defensively and not neglecting their duties? I don't know if he has it in him to produce what we need internally. We'll soon find out.

Shaqiri Is Boss
01-09-2015, 08:44 PM
It's surely bollocks, but the Telegraph are reporting that Adebayor turned down Villa not just because he wanted a shed load of cash but because he needed a sign from God :unsure:

Globalgunner
01-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Goals from midfield are largely a bonus, we don't have a goalscoring midfielder (and they are pretty rare to be honest) so realistically we'll only get a handful from each midfielder over a season, they don't really have an eye for goal like Pires or Ljundberg have so expecting loads of goals from them isn't realistic. First and foremost your forward line should provide most of your goals and by having top strikers it free's up space for midfielders as teams want to keep the ball away from goalscorers. Sadly we have a sack of shite up front (other than Sanchez who isn't an out and out forward anyway) who couldn't hit a barn door so the opposition don't have to worry too much about them.

It's ironic, Wenger has changed everything about the way the team plays since 2005 and yet he's desperate to get back to the days when our midfielders bagged 20 goals a season, trouble is those were natural finishers, you can't teach that.

How the heck are we going to get goals from midfielders who never actually take a shot on goal. The goal against Newcastle came literally from our only shot on target by Ox. All we do is pass the ball backwards and forwards across the opposing box. No one has the eye or goal or the talent from outside the box. Rosicky is the only player apart from Ox who likes a strike on goal and he has been tossed into the twilight zone. We are literally captive at the hands of a looney. Obsessed with being different, looking for some unique legacy. He knows he cant be the best so he would rather just be different.

Injury Time
01-09-2015, 09:23 PM
I got an email today from Arsenal for the screening of the Leicester away match. On the day we should be welcoming a new top top quality signing, they send this shit. Fuck off, fuck off some more and keep fucking right off <_<

Bumble
01-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Perhaps the rationale is that we are going to finish 3rd regardless of the business we do. United don't have the squad. Liverpool don't have a player who can win a game from nothing or depth of squad either. We have a good squad but not compared to city or Chelsea and Chelsea have a better manager. We could have spent 100m And still finish 3rd.

3rd and a cup is still a pretty good season and you aren't going to get rid of a manager who does that.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 09:27 PM
It's surely bollocks, but the Telegraph are reporting that Adebayor turned down Villa not just because he wanted a shed load of cash but because he needed a sign from God :unsure:

It's bollocks. He wanted £5mill to leave. In some ways he's a greedy, useless, lazy cunt.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 09:28 PM
How the heck are we going to get goals from midfielders who never actually take a shot on goal. The goal against Newcastle came literally from our only shot on target by Ox. All we do is pass the ball backwards and forwards across the opposing box. No one has the eye or goal or the talent from outside the box. Rosicky is the only player apart from Ox who likes a strike on goal and he has been tossed into the twilight zone. We are literally captive at the hands of a looney. Obsessed with being different, looking for some unique legacy. He knows he cant be the best so he would rather just be different.

Rosicky will be like a new signing when he comes back and is not used.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 09:30 PM
I got an email today from Arsenal for the screening of the Leicester away match. On the day we should be welcoming a new top top quality signing, they send this shit. Fuck off, fuck off some more and keep fucking right off <_<

I got an email from Arsenal today asking if I had any cheap playa to sell them. I said yes but didn't hear anything back. When I phoned it said the number had been changed.

Letters
01-09-2015, 09:31 PM
yes we won an FA Cup or two, however in the past when clubs have won it, it's been laughed at.
No it hasn't! :lol:

Stop making stuff up. :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Perhaps the rationale is that we are going to finish 3rd regardless of the business we do. United don't have the squad. Liverpool don't have a player who can win a game from nothing or depth of squad either. We have a good squad but not compared to city or Chelsea and Chelsea have a better manager. We could have spent 100m And still finish 3rd.

3rd and a cup is still a pretty good season and you aren't going to get rid of a manager who does that.

Of all the possible reasons we can only hope that one isn't true. To set out with the intention of losing, surely even the suits at Arsenal have a little more ambition than that?

Letters
01-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Yes Wenger is cheap, Ozil was a pressure signing after he'd failed to sign anyone decent and everyone was getting on his back.
:lol: And there go the goalposts again...
Wenger is arrogant, doesn't listen to anyone, he's cheap...but a few boos in the ground and he breaks our transfer record. Behave...
(By all accounts the only reason that deal was delayed was because it was contingent on the Bale transfer)

McNamara That Ghost...
01-09-2015, 09:42 PM
We signed Mesut off the back of beating the Spuds I believe.

Letters
01-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Obviously by challenge I mean "finish top 4"

:run:

GP
01-09-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/arsenal-fans-plan-protest-emirates-6364698

:haha:

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 09:56 PM
http://t.co/YFyMVzt90Z

Injury Time
01-09-2015, 09:56 PM
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af256/sevvy9/599c09fda92ffdc30791dac3dd1a1152_zpsffjyzig6.jpg

Kano
01-09-2015, 09:59 PM
It's interesting when you start to peel back some of the results from last season and examine the idea that we improved and clicked together in the second half, a momentum we thought we could potentially build on.

In many ways we will more than keep that consistency, which is beating the mid to lower ranked teams. We had the perfect split of playing each team once before the New Year and once after, so easy to spot a pattern or real difference.

In the first half of the season we picked up 6 points from the top 8 teams (from 21 points) and 8 points in the second half of the season. So consistently underperforming there. What made the back end of our season look better is we improved at beating the mid to lower ranked teams. That was 27 in the first half and 34 in the second half.

It just confirms the idea that our current squad can do enough to meander into 3/4 spot as usual. The difference between taking ourselves higher is beating the better organised teams immediately below us at the very least and improving the squad in this window was vital if we wanted to do that.

BOBN
01-09-2015, 10:11 PM

You people are gonna look real daft if he develops into one of the best in the world shortly. Just like the muppets who mocked a £13m 18 year old Ronaldo.

United are a big club so they took decisive action to solve a squad problem, didnt twiddle their thumbs waiting for 'top top qualitee'. Wanna call it panic? Ok. Panicing at the thought that they may not be competitive. They FEAR not being competitive.

Meanwhile at Arsenal....

Xhaka Can’t
01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
It never even occurred to me to check if we signed anyone until now. Our business plan is to invest the absolute minimum it will take to make the top 4.

We'll achieve that.

Yay.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-09-2015, 10:40 PM
What occurs to me is that what we will see in the next year or so is an answer to the question who calls the shots at Arsenal, if it's Ivan Gazidis unless things improve under Wenger (The laws of physics tell us that if we do the same thing we cannot expect to yield different results) than he will be gone when his current contract expires. If it is Kroenke than Wenger will be here until Kroenke decides he's made the cash cow fat enough to sell up.

Marc Overmars
01-09-2015, 10:41 PM
You people are gonna look real daft if he develops into one of the best in the world shortly. Just like the muppets who mocked a £13m 18 year old Ronaldo.

United are a big club so they took decisive action to solve a squad problem, didnt twiddle their thumbs waiting for 'top top qualitee'. Wanna call it panic? Ok. Panicing at the thought that they may not be competitive. They FEAR not being competitive.

Meanwhile at Arsenal....

Have to agree with this. Of course it's an expensive punt, but if you can afford it and the kid has potential, then why not?

It's better than doing absolutely sod all knowing full well you're lacking in certain areas. I mean, what the hell do our scouts report back to Wenger? Is no one good enough? Really?

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 11:54 PM
You have to hope this Martial turns into the new Sanogo, but that's highly unlikely if you watch him play. He's raw but (warning: based on YouTube clips) he has great acceleration over the first couple of yards, is supremely graceful when striking the ball, isn't afraid to try for the goal, looks to have intelligence when finding space and he can pick a pass. Admittedly only the best bits will be on YouTube, he might be shite the rest of the time. But the potential is there. The sort of player you'd have thought Wenger would like, considering he can play all across the front line.

At least we haven't recalled Sanogo - that's got to count for something.

Niall_Quinn
01-09-2015, 11:55 PM
It never even occurred to me to check if we signed anyone until now. Our business plan is to invest the absolute minimum it will take to make the top 4.

We'll achieve that.

Yay.

Shame that wasn't the first post of the thread. We could have left it at that.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 12:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyjlo5MW_eE

Ralpheroo72
02-09-2015, 12:18 AM

We'll achieve that.

Yay.

18 Players out, and 1 in. It's the stuff of dreams. Supporting Arsenal, is like getting with the local bike, only to find out she is on her period.

Kano
02-09-2015, 12:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyjlo5MW_eE

Yet still better than any combo of pundits they stick on a live game.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Get a grip Martial. I think it is crazy money, potential or not and at the least it means most likely Rooney will be starting as their striker for some time yet.

Letters
02-09-2015, 06:20 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/arsenal-fans-plan-protest-emirates-6364698

:haha: keyboard warriors :bow:

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 06:58 AM
With prices constantly going through the roof and Wenger reluctant to spend, he has to look into developing our own striker. I can't see much changing in January or next summer so he needs to get to work on Theo, Campbell, Welbeck and pray for miracle on Sanogo. Or at least try to convert Sanchez into a striker and have Ox and Theo as wingers.

BOBN
02-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Have to agree with this. Of course it's an expensive punt, but if you can afford it and the kid has potential, then why not?

It's better than doing absolutely sod all knowing full well you're lacking in certain areas. I mean, what the hell do our scouts report back to Wenger? Is no one good enough? Really?
Good point, maybe our scouts have been found out now the smaller clubs have the resources and pull to act on their scouts advice. The real bright guys are at Swansea, Southampton and WBA it seems.

Nevermind the quick starters like Ayew and Gomis, that Rondon at WBA looks twice the player Giroud is. Decent pedigree too. City will bid £50m in 18 months and the club will say we cant compete with Man City for players.

If they can get Berahinos head right we should envy their strikeforce. West Broms strikeforce guys.

PGFC
02-09-2015, 07:10 AM
In Welbeck we trust.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Good point, maybe our scouts have been found out now the smaller clubs have the resources and pull to act on their scouts advice. The real bright guys are at Swansea, Southampton and WBA it seems.

Nevermind the quick starters like Ayew and Gomis, that Rondon at WBA looks twice the player Giroud is. Decent pedigree too. City will bid £50m in 18 months and the club will say we cant compete with Man City for players.

If they can get Berahinos head right we should envy their strikeforce. West Broms strikeforce guys.

Berahino doesn't want to play for them again, though even his head was right I wouldn't be envying them.

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Seriously. Can you IMAGINE the whining on here if we'd spunked that kind of money on a kid with 'potential'? :lol:

Is it better than doing nothing? I don't think so. We needed a player who could genuinely push us on and they don't grow on trees, that kid certainly isn't one.

BOBN
02-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Berahino doesn't want to play for them again, though even his head was right I wouldn't be envying them.
Hes a baby. Toys will be back in the pram by Oct 1st and this will all be forgotten.

But anybody who loses their shyt over Spurs is not mentally ready for a big club so I give Wenger a pass on that one.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Seriously. Can you IMAGINE the whining on here if we'd spunked that kind of money on a kid with 'potential'? :lol:

Is it better than doing nothing? I don't think so. We needed a player who could genuinely push us on and they don't grow on trees, that kid certainly isn't one.

It' 's crazy money but if Wenger's had spent serious money on a kid from France 10 years ago whilst his rep was high, we'd all be here saying we found the new Henry. That's how much faith we had in Wenger's eye for talent. That's not the case anymore, although when we did sign Welbeck, some of us were hopeful and optimistic thinking Wenger's can get more from him.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Always avoiding the issue, always throwing up smokescreens.

Nobody expected the club to spend £200mill in the window, nobody expected to spend £80mill on one player, nobody demanded a £40mill youth. Look at what Utd did! Look at those crazy prices City paid!

But don't look at Arsenal.

Manager said he wanted top quality. Vidal £26mill.

Therefore - manager lied.

Some more expected truths. Club charge highest prices in the world. Fans get fleeced, crusty old men get rich.

Meanwhile... back in the PL... where are Arsenal? Winning another 4th place trophy under Arsene the Ambitious.

How can you explain it all?

Well like this. We didn't spend £36mill on a 19 year old, therefore doing nothing is GOOD!

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:20 AM
We needed to spend proper money on a proper striker. I don't know whether we failed to because we didn't try enough, because the players weren't available, or didn't want to come to us or whether Wenger is simply putting his trust in the players he has. Either way on his head be it if we fail to challenge again, but signing another player with potential, or signing another 'Welbeck' for the sake of having another player wasn't the answer.

I am invisible
02-09-2015, 08:22 AM
In Welbeck we trust.

Seriously, why not! No one else is scoring at the moment, so we quite literally have nothing to lose.

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Meanwhile... back in the PL... where are Arsenal?

Well, we don't know yet as it's not next May. How about we find out before having a man-child tantrum. But if we don't challenge because of Wenger's inaction this summer then on his head be it.

Well like this. We didn't spend £36mill on a 19 year old, therefore doing nothing is GOOD!

Yeah, see my other post, and above. But keep on building those straw-men if you like, they're so easy to destroy aren't they? :coffee:

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:25 AM
We needed to spend proper money on a proper striker. I don't know whether we failed to because we didn't try enough, because the players weren't available, or didn't want to come to us or whether Wenger is simply putting his trust in the players he has. Either way on his head be it if we fail to challenge again, but signing another player with potential, or signing another 'Welbeck' for the sake of having another player wasn't the answer.

On his head be it?

Don't think so. How many times has he failed to secure the players we need in a transfer window and ended the season short? How many times has his head been on the block as a result?

So nothing will be on his head except the magic hat the final few deluded hold-outs think he still wears.

In reality - On the fans' wallets be it!

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Well, my expectations have changed now the money is available. I have been somewhat placated by the two FA Cup wins but agree we need to challenge for the biggest prizes now.
If we don't because of his inaction this summer then yeah, he should be sacked.
I don't have the power to enact that, obviously.

BOBN
02-09-2015, 08:32 AM

They dont grow on trees....but we are sitting around waiting for one to grow on a tree (unless they are too grown and a Chelsea or City want them)

Were gonna have to do some of the legwork, the last bit, and I know its ugly for a grand club like ours, but coaching/nurturing :o....like we used to, from top potential to world class.

We are finished if you think potential is beneath us.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, we don't know yet as it's not next May. How about we find out before having a man-child tantrum. But if we don't challenge because of Wenger's inaction this summer then on his head be it.

Yeah, see my other post, and above. But keep on building those straw-men if you like, they're so easy to destroy aren't they? :coffee:

So what's the purpose of your post then?

IMAGINE... oh those keyboard warriors... :haha: Can't compete :haha: Only club in Europe not to strengthen the outfield :haha: £200 mill in the bank :haha: Build a stadium to compete with the very best :haha: Here's a pound extra :haha:

This is about SPOILT FANS!

It is not about rich old men.

I know. Let's be reasonable and judge Wenger at the end of another season. That way there's another 34 matches to come up with the latest excuses for this man.

Injury Time
02-09-2015, 08:34 AM
We didn't pay £50m on Cavani as he had no sell on value, says it all <_<

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:38 AM
Well, my expectations have changed now the money is available. I have been somewhat placated by the two FA Cup wins but agree we need to challenge for the biggest prizes now.
If we don't because of his inaction this summer then yeah, he should be sacked.
I don't have the power to enact that, obviously.

Nobody has asked you to act. Where do you get that idea from?

In a study that asked 1 Arsenal fan how he felt about his club hanging on to £200mill rather than strengthening in consistently ignored areas, the following answers were obtained:

1. I am elated with two cup wins - 0 responses
2. I am somewhat happy with two cup wins - 1 response

Margin of misdirection was +100%

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:41 AM
So what's the purpose of your post then?
What is the purpose of any of yours? :shrug:

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:43 AM
I know. Let's be reasonable and judge Wenger at the end of another season.
Well...yes. Obviously.

There is literally no other way to judge any manager of any club in any season. :lol:

BOBN
02-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Well one of these teenage mutherfookers is gonna the best thing in the world in 5 years and will be worth £100m.

Who is he? Why cant we get him? What the fook do the scouts do?

United played their hand. No world class strikers available so whos next?

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
We didn't pay £50m on Cavani as he had no sell on value, says it all <_<

I have no confidence that Cavani would have solved our problems. He seems like the ultimate hot and cold player and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't have the balls for this league. Not really bothered we didn't chase him. But there seems to be a theory going around that the fans were responsible for identifying targets that could have solved our problems and were obtainable. For me that is the job of the experienced manager and his gang of experienced assistants and scouts. It's like - well YOU, Joe Bloggs on the Internet, couldn't name a SINGLE PLAYER! And the conclusion - so how could you expect those experts who live and breathe football to do it?

As we know from the £800mill spent this window - it was impossible to get anyone.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
What is the purpose of any of yours? :shrug:

To call you out as the biggest WUM on here.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 08:48 AM

It's a strange one because I don't think he trusts the strike force he has regardless of what he says. If he felt Giroud was good enough he'd have never tabled a bid for Higuain and Saurez two years ago. He has no faith in Theo either because he was dropped for the opening three games and has never given him a sustained run up front despite saying he's a striker. Welbeck is injured and he's not being trusted up front either....it doesn't look like he trusts his strike force at all. But he doesn't want to pay for another striker he's unsure of so he's putting the weight on our midfield for goals.

As you say, it's on his head a day we'll see where the pieces fall at the end of the season. But this is no surprise to me. The signs were there and I remember seeing this sort of thing before our new sponsorship money.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Well...yes. Obviously.

There is literally no other way to judge any manager of any club in any season. :lol:

Oh yes, I remember now, you already said the last 10 seasons on which he could and should have been judged are now LESS RELEVANT.

That's handy.

http://www.caringpets.org/wp-content/uploads/goldfish-bowl-small.jpg

BOBN
02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
I have no confidence that Cavani would have solved our problems. He seems like the ultimate hot and cold player and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't have the balls for this league. Not really bothered we didn't chase him. But there seems to be a theory going around that the fans were responsible for identifying targets that could have solved our problems and were obtainable. For me that is the job of the experienced manager and his gang of experienced assistants and scouts. It's like - well YOU, Joe Bloggs on the Internet, couldn't name a SINGLE PLAYER! And the conclusion - so how could you expect those experts who live and breathe football to do it?

As we know from the £800mill spent this window - it was impossible to get anyone.
Yep, lazy target.

All we do these days is hang around the back alleys of Barca, Real, PSG, Chelsea waiting for whoever they bundle out, thinking thats the badge to show we've made it.

Arsenal = 35 year old nightclub groupies sucking off entertainers

Letters
02-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Oh yes, I remember now, you already said the last 10 seasons on which he could and should have been judged are now LESS RELEVANT.
Nah. You know what I said.

selassie
02-09-2015, 08:55 AM
It' 's crazy money but if Wenger's had spent serious money on a kid from France 10 years ago whilst his rep was high, we'd all be here saying we found the new Henry. That's how much faith we had in Wenger's eye for talent. That's not the case anymore, although when we did sign Welbeck, some of us were hopeful and optimistic thinking Wenger's can get more from him.

I still think there is upside in Welbeck, I am not suggesting he will turn into a world class player but I think he has the potential to improve his numbers and surpass Giroud.

Welbeck isn't the solution, he's a good player with the potential to be very good but he won't win us the major prizes IMO.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Bakary Sako has got to be the buy of the transfer window on a free.

Merse. :bow:

Letters
02-09-2015, 09:00 AM
It's a strange one because I don't think he trusts the strike force he has regardless of what he says. If he felt Giroud was good enough he'd have never tabled a bid for Higuain and Saurez two years ago. He has no faith in Theo either because he was dropped for the opening three games and has never given him a sustained run up front despite saying he's a striker. Welbeck is injured and he's not being trusted up front either....it doesn't look like he trusts his strike force at all. But he doesn't want to pay for another striker he's unsure of so he's putting the weight on our midfield for goals.

As you say, it's on his head a day we'll see where the pieces fall at the end of the season. But this is no surprise to me. The signs were there and I remember seeing this sort of thing before our new sponsorship money.

Oh good, a grown up to talk to. Hello :tiphat:

I'm a bit surprised because the last 2 years, since the new deals have been in place, we have been spending proper money. This summer Cech was a good signing, we all knew we could do with more up front but we've done nothing. Now, I realise it's not like going down Sainsbury's and buying bananas, which do grow on trees, but that's why Wenger gets the big bucks (I forget exactly how much he gets paid as no-one ever mentions it on here).

But yeah, I seriously doubt, deep down, he thinks Giroud and Welbeck are good enough to win you the title. Maybe he thinks we have enough goals in midfield and maybe he's right, in theory Ramsey and Sanchez should be able to get us goals, Walcott too. There's been little evidence of that so far but it is early days and we all know we're capable of better. Whether it's good enough...well, we'll see.

Marc Overmars
02-09-2015, 09:16 AM
They dont grow on trees....but we are sitting around waiting for one to grow on a tree (unless they are too grown and a Chelsea or City want them)

Were gonna have to do some of the legwork, the last bit, and I know its ugly for a grand club like ours, but coaching/nurturing :o....like we used to, from top potential to world class.

We are finished if you think potential is beneath us.

Again, I completely agree. I can accept the likes of Benzema and Cavani being difficult to attain but as mentioned there wasn't a wide selection of ready made worldies available. So why not look elsewhere for players who might be in the tier below but possibly take their game on to the next level with us? There's nothing wrong with it and I certainly wouldn't have been crying had we signed someone like Martial, although granted his price and pedigree don't correlate, but that's the transfer market for you, I'm sure United have seen enough of him to take an educated punt though.

The problem 6-7 years ago was we invested too much time and money in players with potential and that's where we went wrong. Now we are in a position where we should be able to cherry pick the talent we want, which is the perfect platform to build from.

I just can't accept Wenger doing nothing and settling for what he has because he knows it can deliver the bare minimum. Fear of failure and laziness as far as I'm concerned. What happened to the bloke who could turn coal into a diamond?

dostoy
02-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Overall I am not surprised.

I said on here weeks ago that numerically we are not short anywhere. I just could not see Wenger signing a striker when we have a few here and Sanogo and Akpom on loan.

He was not going to sign a defensive midfielder when we have Coquelin, he gave Arteta a years contract, and with Flamini still here.

If Cech and Ospina get injured then we are in the shit.

The football world has moved on a long way since we last won the PL, Wenger cannot or will not accept that.

I have said before on here many times and even started a thread about it, we will never win the PL title with Wenger in charge and it could be 2020 before he leaves.

One thing is certain though, we will be buying players in January 2016 because we will be struggling to get into the top four by then.

It has been proven that Wenger is more interested in the balance sheet bottom line than winning titles on the pitch and that will NEVER change.

He still has the safest job in european football though and it will be 2020 at least before we get a new manager.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I still think there is upside in Welbeck, I am not suggesting he will turn into a world class player but I think he has the potential to improve his numbers and surpass Giroud.

Welbeck isn't the solution, he's a good player with the potential to be very good but he won't win us the major prizes IMO.

I don't know where Welbeck will fit in. He needs a good run up front and has potential but he's swimming against the tide. I wasn't impressed with his outing for us last season whilst Giroud was out injured. He should have scored more goals. Played something like 10+ games in the league and Champs League and only scored twice in the league and a brace in the CL. A total of 4 goals. Maybe he needed to adapt but I'm sure if Walcott or Sanchez had a 10+ game run up front they'd do a lot better. Theo scored same amount of goals in two games. But you'll never see Theo get that same amount of time up front. Sanchez is another one that only had a game or two up front and for me, I feel he'd be a superstar striker.

Correction - Welbeck scored a hatrick in the Co. So 5 goals whilst Ground was injured but a very long run of no goals. He really needed this preseason to show his worth.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
What happened to Draxler? He went to Schalke this season and we were linked with him for a while.

Dein-machine
02-09-2015, 09:57 AM
We signed Mesut off the back of beating the Spuds I believe.

But made the offer after losing at home to Villa.

Kano
02-09-2015, 10:00 AM

I really don’t think there is a ‘wait and see’ about this group, as depressing as that sounds. For two consecutive seasons our failings have occurred in one area - the top 8 teams in the league. 17 points in 13/14, 14 last season. We can beat the lesser teams consistently, no problem. When it comes to facing up to the better organised teams, better prepared with higher quality players, we do not have enough. It’s the same thing we see in the CL each season when we have to step up in quality. We can beat the shitkickers all day long, the bigger boys, not so much.

That is why it was essential not just to buy a striker but to re-balance the issues in our squad, none of which have been addressed. So there is no reason to think that this group of players, who have consistently failed to fix this problem will suddenly find an upturn. Even last seasons supposed ‘turn around’ was built on beating the lesser teams in the league, while we continued to struggle against the top 8. That is not going to change until we have a new manager and fix the balance and mental problems with this team which have dragged on for seasons.

McNamara That Ghost...
02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Logic would say he'd call the signing off after making people happy by beating the Spuds. I don't think it matters why or how he was signed really, we signed him and that in itself I am happy with.

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I don't know where Welbeck will fit in. He needs a good run up front and has potential but he's swimming against the tide. I wasn't impressed with his outing for us last season whilst Giroud was out injured. He should have scored more goals. Played something like 10+ games in the league and Champs League and only scored twice in the league and a brace in the CL. A total of 4 goals. Maybe he needed to adapt but I'm sure if Walcott or Sanchez had a 10+ game run up front they'd do a lot better. Theo scored same amount of goals in two games. But you'll never see Theo get that same amount of time up front. Sanchez is another one that only had a game or two up front and for me, I feel he'd be a superstar striker.

Correction - Welbeck scored a hatrick in the Co. So 5 goals whilst Ground was injured but a very long run of no goals. He really needed this preseason to show his worth.

It's going to need more than just sticking Alexis or Walcott up front and giving them 10+ games. That's a start but Wenger will then have to learn that the opposition has sussed his possession, patience, possession, patience 1980 tactics and he'll have to come up with a whole range of play books to counter and exploit the various types of opposition we will be up against as the season winds on. And then he'll have to do the same again for the CL. On top of that he'll have to tear up the last 10 years and start playing players in their most effective positions, rotating the squad, giving the players solid instructions and duties. Can you see him doing it?

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 10:07 AM
What happened to Draxler? He went to Schalke this season and we were linked with him for a while.

It was probably Welbeck that happened. We were looking at Draxler when RvC was on the way out. Then he got injured.

Dein-machine
02-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh good, a grown up to talk to. Hello :tiphat:

I'm a bit surprised because the last 2 years, since the new deals have been in place, we have been spending proper money. This summer Cech was a good signing, we all knew we could do with more up front but we've done nothing. Now, I realise it's not like going down Sainsbury's and buying bananas, which do grow on trees, but that's why Wenger gets the big bucks (I forget exactly how much he gets paid as no-one ever mentions it on here).

But yeah, I seriously doubt, deep down, he thinks Giroud and Welbeck are good enough to win you the title. Maybe he thinks we have enough goals in midfield and maybe he's right, in theory Ramsey and Sanchez should be able to get us goals, Walcott too. There's been little evidence of that so far but it is early days and we all know we're capable of better. Whether it's good enough...well, we'll see.

In any competitive sport or business environent, for a boss to go into a new season or a new tender promising the fans or shareholders that they will do everything in their power to compete to win it, whilst knowing that his players or machinery are not good enough, to then have the opportunity before that season or tender due to a large sum of money being available to rectify that - but then do nothing!. You say you seriously doubt that he thinks Giroud or Welbeck are good enough, we know that he doesn't have a clue who to put uptop because of what he did at the end of last year & already this, but a striker is a critical part of the starting 11 - it is unbelievable to think you go into a new season without having a proven goalscorer whilst trying to compete in the P.L.
In the business world you would lose your job immediately over such gross negligence - Wenger has been doing this for 10 years, we don't have to wait & see as you suggest - the deja vue syndrome strikes again. Pre-season posters inc me where saying that unless Wenger really has changed we would see another poor transfer window, a league campaign where we struggle to keep pace, the constant tippy tappy approach that even Barca realised was no longer winning games & another disappointing early exit from the Champions League. 2 months later - all of the above is already looking true, we await the inevitable in the C.L.. What do you expect to see when you say "we'll see"?

Niall_Quinn
02-09-2015, 10:40 AM
It's taking Letters longer than most to realise the obvious. Took me a long time too. Others saw it sooner. It will be different for everyone. But one thing is sure, this manager is not up to the job and hasn't been for a long time. At least not up to the football side of the job. As a bank manager and accountant he's peerless. That's why the board loves his arse and unfortunately that's why he'll get another contract in 2017. Things may change when everyone eventually catches up and spots the obvious.

selassie
02-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Draxler went to Wolfsburg. They sold De Bruyne and replaced him immediately with Draxler. This is where I have a major problem with Wenger he is just not proactive enough in the market.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/31/julian-draxler-wolfsburg-schalke

selassie
02-09-2015, 10:46 AM

Welbeck was pretty rubbish last season I agree, it didn't help that Wenger was still messing with his formation at the time trying to fit Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil and the other attacking midfielders into the team but Welbeck still struggled and wasn't up to scratch.

Wenger seems to like Welbeck though and I really wouldn't be that suprised if he gives him an extended run in the team once he is back.

Welbeck definitely needs to improve, he needs to be producing the numbers now, he's no kid and as such shouldn't be viewed as some kind of "development" project.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I really don’t think there is a ‘wait and see’ about this group, as depressing as that sounds. For two consecutive seasons our failings have occurred in one area - the top 8 teams in the league. 17 points in 13/14, 14 last season. We can beat the lesser teams consistently, no problem. When it comes to facing up to the better organised teams, better prepared with higher quality players, we do not have enough. It’s the same thing we see in the CL each season when we have to step up in quality. We can beat the shitkickers all day long, the bigger boys, not so much.

That is why it was essential not just to buy a striker but to re-balance the issues in our squad, none of which have been addressed. So there is no reason to think that this group of players, who have consistently failed to fix this problem will suddenly find an upturn. Even last seasons supposed ‘turn around’ was built on beating the lesser teams in the league, while we continued to struggle against the top 8. That is not going to change until we have a new manager and fix the balance and mental problems with this team which have dragged on for seasons.

I don't think we have much choice. It's too little too late and I still say our best opportunity to win the league was when we bought Ozil and lead all the way up until January. We should have bought a striker that season because we already knew Ground wasn't good enough and Wenger knew it too.

After failing to win it that season he should have tried a different system or different type of striker up front. Sanchez should have had a proper run up front, we should have kept Joel Campbell and also given Theo a go up front because he spent way too much time on the bench whilst Welbeck was playing but not scoring goals. He should have made a lot of these decisions early last year so we're not in this position. He should know whose capable of what and he's not which leaves us in limbo again.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Draxler went to Wolfsburg. They sold De Bruyne and replaced him immediately with Draxler. This is where I have a major problem with Wenger he is just not proactive enough in the market.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/31/julian-draxler-wolfsburg-schalke

£25m! We can afford him no problem.

selassie
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
£25m! We can afford him no problem.

Yep, I think he would have improved the squad, he's not the finished article but is a great young talent and well worth that fee IMO.

Power n Glory
02-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Welbeck was pretty rubbish last season I agree, it didn't help that Wenger was still messing with his formation at the time trying to fit Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil and the other attacking midfielders into the team but Welbeck still struggled and wasn't up to scratch.

Wenger seems to like Welbeck though and I really wouldn't be that suprised if he gives him an extended run in the team once he is back.

Welbeck definitely needs to improve, he needs to be producing the numbers now, he's no kid and as such shouldn't be viewed as some kind of "development" project.

He has potential but he'll have to wait his turn this time. Honestly, we should be giving Sanchez , Theo or Campbell a run up front. Giroud should be a bench option.

Marc Overmars
02-09-2015, 11:05 AM

I think Welbeck will always be a useful option because of his athleticism, he just needs to explode like Sturridge did really in terms of goal scoring. I was also pretty disappointed with his return last year, the worrying thing was that you couldn't even accuse him of missing sitters because he was never in those positions to begin with, I guess that comes from learning the role and knowing when to make the runs. Some of the goals he's scored for us and also England have the hallmarks of a decent striker though, so I think he could potentially surprise us.

Marc Overmars
02-09-2015, 11:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CN5Ko3FW8AIeZKO.jpg

Letters
02-09-2015, 11:15 AM

See? That's how WUMming should be done.