PDA

View Full Version : Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Power n Glory
11-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I don't think we've had many ex players go all in on a player or even Wenger for that matter. They know better.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Is Sterling that good? From his performances this season I wouldn't rate him as top quality. Still very raw, highly likely to make the wrong decision when he's on the ball. He had a good season in the company of Suarez and Sturridge, but he hasn't taken the lead with those two gone. Maybe that's why he's so keen to move? Does he know himself that the hype far outstrips his talent?

Do we know Liverpool didn't try and lock him down? Maybe they did. He has that horrendous agent in tow. He's evidently infected the player with all sorts of ideas to the extent Sterling seems much more focused on where he plays and the cash he'll get rather than putting in performances on the pitch. He's been shit for England too. Is that it for him, one season and then everything blown? Can he come back from this and get down to playing football?

I'd say he's a huge risk for anyone that signs him unless they are the chavs or the gypos where it's common to have super expensive players sitting it out on the bench.

I think he's very good and were it not for the fact we're stocked in that area already and it wouldn't be worth the limited resources we have I would be very tempted myself. He's got the potential to be in the Alexis/Bale/Reus catergory of wide forwards and he's shown glimpses of that the past two years.

Bear in mind NQ, as Davies put it on the podcast he's been shoehorned into a striker position and the wingback position at times because Rodgers failed to adequately replace Suarez (lol Balotelli and lol Lambert) and strengthen the squad. It's also a bit harsh to expect a 20 year old kid to single handily bear the burden of Liverpool's attacking threat in the absence of Suarez and Sturridge. We should be well aware ourselves from RVP and Cesc, to how quality players eventually get frustrated with being surrounded in a sea of mediocrity.

And despite all that he was Liverpool's best player for the first half of the season (before Coutinho took over)

I'm also assuming that Liverpool made no attempt to lock him down from Sterling's own comments in that now infamous BBC interview where he said that they didn't and he would have signed then had they did.

Sterling this year and probably Coutinho next year. Unless FSG show more ambition than a couple of freebie mid table English players, Liverpool are going to continue to lose their top talent, whatever little they have left these days.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-06-2015, 01:35 PM
"talks" between Diaby and the club? WTF can they talk about? he is finished as a top level footballer and has had about 250 diferent injuries as well as play very little football. Just get rid, end of.

The Mail (I know) are saying the talks are more about allowing Diaby to use our facilities and work with our staff to regain his fitness in order to get a move eventually elsewhere. That's something I don't have a problem with.

I think with the current squad restrictions and homegrown rules, Wenger wouldn't be silly enough to essentially waste one squad place on a guy who'd never play.

Özil's Panoramic View
11-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Dear fucking god! This shit is beyond tedious now. Can you fuckers cool off the cluttering of the thread with all the pontification about Sterling and the red dippers?

Go start a different thread or something of the sort, at the very least.

Niall_Quinn
11-06-2015, 01:41 PM
I think De Gea is a cunt for engineering a move to Madrid.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Dear fucking god! This shit is beyond tedious now. Can you fuckers cool off the cluttering of the thread with all the pontification about Sterling and the red dippers?

Go start a different thread or something of the sort, at the very least.

:lol:

Why? It's not like it's getting in the way of discussion surrounding the imminent transfer of Lionel Messi to Arsenal. There's jack all happening at the moment unless you want to include some random Cech rumours or Diaby potentially signing again.

This place these days gets barely any activity as it is, especially in the off season. Some posts discussing Sterling's plight, something we've got a small link to isn't a massive deal considering the circumstances.

Power n Glory
11-06-2015, 01:53 PM
The Mail (I know) are saying the talks are more about allowing Diaby to use our facilities and work with our staff to regain his fitness in order to get a move eventually elsewhere. That's something I don't have a problem with.

I think with the current squad restrictions and homegrown rules, Wenger wouldn't be silly enough to essentially waste one squad place on a guy who'd never play.

Wenger's an optimist. I think he'd offer a deal if Diaby wanted it. He respects his spirit and the way he keeps trying. Diaby was close to giving in last time. This might it for him and he's decided to call it a day or at least wait before signing a new deal and prove his fitness over the summer.

Power n Glory
11-06-2015, 02:00 PM

Why? It's not like it's getting in the way of discussion surrounding the imminent transfer of Lionel Messi to Arsenal. There's jack all happening at the moment unless you want to include some random Cech rumours or Diaby potentially signing again.

This place these days gets barely any activity as it is, especially in the off season. Some posts discussing Sterling's plight, something we've got a small link to isn't a massive deal considering the circumstances.

:lol: It's a slow death for GW. An infrequent poster trying to kill the conversation.

dostoy
11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
The rumours about Jackson Martinez to Arsenal seem to be getting stronger.

Wenger would not have signed a 28 year old striker before 2 years ago and I would still be a bit surprised.

I would prefer Higuain because he is younger but also he would be more expensive.

I would like Aubameyang above them both though.

We shall see.

Power n Glory
11-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Higuain being linked with us again. Might be able to get him cheaper this time.

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Sterling is just a kid and probably a bit thick. He's obviously been badly advised. Liverpool haven't handled the situation at all well, though.
The thing you have to remember is this is Liverpool. Always the victim. I doubt it's any kind of co-ordinated smear campaign, more just a general siege mentality.

More or less :gp:... well the first bit anyway.

I'd have a little more sympathy if it weren't exactly the same tactic as with Berahino, for me that tips it more towards "agent is a prick" than "evil club tries to destroy young man's career". Ultimately if Sterling was unhappy about how this has panned out he'd have got rid of his agent and everything would be hunky dory, so I think it's fair to say the agent is doing what Sterling wants, if not necessarily in this manner.

As it is he's turned down £70k and £100k and (the totally, definitely untrue quotes) that he won't accept anything mean he's as good as gone this window. In the summer of 2014 he still had 3 years left on his contract so it's not as if we were playing it close to the wire. The Times are reporting we've already rejected a bid from City, so expect that one to run all summer. Yay!

Also, it's bin dippers or redshite. Red dippers just sounds :sick:.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Hmm not sure i totally agree, I think Agent's put ideas in players' heads.....you can imagine it "Raheem they are taking the piss out of you, you are one of the rising stars in Europe and offering you 100k a week....you need to go to a bigger club you're a big fish in a small pond...guy of your talent should be playing in Champions League finals"
Of course there is the option for Sterling to dismiss this and say "I am where i am because of Liverpool, I owe it to them to repay their faith in me" etc etc and all that, but instead lots of ego, not a lot of brains....buys into his own hype and thinks "I'm a superstar and should be playing for Top European club"....

I'm not saying Sterling is not to blame, but i'd be surprised if the seed wasn't planted by the Agent in the first place.

Munchies
11-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Raheem Sterling: Liverpool reject £25m Manchester City bid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33104367

--

He'll end up going for near 40 I think.

No team other than City will stump that much for him

Shaqiri Is Boss
11-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Hmm not sure i totally agree, I think Agent's put ideas in players' heads.....you can imagine it "Raheem they are taking the piss out of you, you are one of the rising stars in Europe and offering you 100k a week....you need to go to a bigger club you're a big fish in a small pond...guy of your talent should be playing in Champions League finals"
Of course there is the option for Sterling to dismiss this and say "I am where i am because of Liverpool, I owe it to them to repay their faith in me" etc etc and all that, but instead lots of ego, not a lot of brains....buys into his own hype and thinks "I'm a superstar and should be playing for Top European club"....

I'm not saying Sterling is not to blame, but i'd be surprised if the seed wasn't planted by the Agent in the first place.

Oh definitely. He's been his agent for years so Sterling obviously trusts him and takes his advice, but whether it's the agent's doing or not I think it's probably what the player wants.

I think we'll want even more than £40m though. QPR have their sell on and everyone knows City are hardly poor and could do with some young English blood. Long story short, 100 BILLION DOLLARS!

Niall_Quinn
11-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Supposedly Jackson Martinez is off to one of the Milan clubs.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-06-2015, 11:16 PM
As Herbert Sherbet says I think the agent has planted the seed.....and why wouldn't he...it's in his fiscal interests too. Rodgers Brent then comes along and wheels out his line about being the best young talent in Europe to strengthen Sterling's position.

Sterling I should say, is, a long guy but he is not on some YTS contract. He is earning a man's living, moreover a pro ballers wages. If he thinks his agent isn't toeing the line then he should either sack his agent or gag him. Unless of course your agent is family, in which case the best interests of the player should come to the fore. If agent continues to come out with all sorts of peculiar comments, then we are increasingly led to assume that his agent is simply peddling the company line......the company that is Sterling Ltd.

I don't think Liverpool have handled it that badly AFTER failing to offer him the contract last season. It seems he made up his mind he didn't want to stay long ago, so whatever Liverpool do now probably makes little difference. In a cynical and underhanded way they may as well make it look like the player is being totally unreasonable.

As far as the player is concerned, if the average football fan thinks Liverpool will neither challenge for the title, top 4, nor CL in the next 5 years (and I am not saying that IS the affirmed view) then it's not unreasonable to think Sterling and his agent believe this too.

Sterling hasn't acted beyond reproach and I feel sorry for Liverpool to a degree but if the player thinks he can do better and ultimately honours his contract....what are you going to do?

Globalgunner
12-06-2015, 03:11 AM
Supposedly Jackson Martinez is off to one of the Milan clubs.

He wouldn't have improved us by any great degree. We need to go better, or not at all. It would be better if we could get Wright or Bergkamp or Henry to come and work with our current bunch and get some value from them. We just cant keep adding averageness. Then of course there is Sanogo? What do you do with a problem like Sanogo?

Niall_Quinn
12-06-2015, 08:55 AM
He wouldn't have improved us by any great degree. We need to go better, or not at all. It would be better if we could get Wright or Bergkamp or Henry to come and work with our current bunch and get some value from them. We just cant keep adding averageness. Then of course there is Sanogo? What do you do with a problem like Sanogo?

Just relaying the latest about one of our supposed top targets. I don't think he'd improve us either, I think there are very few strikers out there right now who could move us on and from what I can see none of them are available. What might improve us is the manager becoming more adventurous with what we already have. Giroud, Walcott and Alexis used properly based on the opponent, sometimes one up top, sometimes two, on occasion and when warranted even three. With the arrival of Alexis we've at least moved on from the anyone will do position we found ourselves in when Sanogo was actually getting games. Unfortunate for him, a raw kid being thrown in at the deep end. But that's our manager - overlooks Coquelin so he can concentrate on a novice who can barely play the game.

The Emirates Gallactico
12-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Jackson Martinez turns 29 in two months. Not worth it tbh and Wenger's never going to splash the cash on a 29 year old unless they were a Messi or Ronaldo. Surprised that he's going to a Milan club though - they don't have the cash.

Much rather go all in for Lacazette when the time comes.

GP
12-06-2015, 10:06 AM
I do like the look of tape cassette. Lots of potential there.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-06-2015, 11:59 AM
The correct translation is A Casette or is it The casette?

Been linked with El Sharaawy, wouldn't be that surprised injury plagued and fallen off the radar been linked with him
Previously, fits into Wengers plan of playing interchangeable front three rather than two wingers behind out and out striker.

Marc Overmars
12-06-2015, 12:09 PM
United interested in Harry Kane. :lol:

Xhaka Can’t
12-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Their scouts sure keep on unearthing hidden gems.

Marc Overmars
12-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Cabaye has said he wants to leave PSG.

Cheeky bid? Would probably cost less than Schneiderlin and is arguably a better player.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Daily Heil says they understand Wenger is confident of closing in on Cech.

Is that even a rumour?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3122008/Arsenal-closing-Chelsea-goalkeeper-Petr-Cech-Arsene-Wenger-confident-sealing-11million-deal-week.html

Niall_Quinn
13-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Daily Heil says they understand Wenger is confident of closing in on Cech.

Is that even a rumour?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3122008/Arsenal-closing-Chelsea-goalkeeper-Petr-Cech-Arsene-Wenger-confident-sealing-11million-deal-week.html

It's an opinion rumour. Next week they'll do an opinion rumour editorial.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-06-2015, 10:22 AM
The Cech story seems to be gathering momentum. Hopefully it's a no smoke without fire situation.

Also hearing rumours that the club may be finally getting rid of Gerry Peyton (current GK coach). I've been banging on about this for ages now but I don't think it's a coincidence that mad Jens aside (who was experienced enough to not really need that much coaching) all our goalkeepers have been questionable ever since Bob Wilson was replaced by Peyton.

I mean Szeceny for all his talent has barely improved in the years he's been number one and if anything has regressed which is scandalous considering his age. Allegedly Fabianski didn't like him either and made a show of thanking the reserve team goalkeeper coach (Tony Roberts) over him when he left

dostoy
13-06-2015, 10:53 AM
I will be very disappointed if we sign Cech.

He is a Chelsea reject and nowhere near as good as he was.

It will be quite a big transfer fee and huge wages.

He will always be Chelsea in my eyes.

He is not worth it.

We should be trying to find the new Courtois or De Gea.

Shaqiri Is Boss
13-06-2015, 12:18 PM
The Standard saying you would only be interested in Sterling in a player + cash deal :lol:

1 x Alexis, please.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-06-2015, 12:29 PM
You can have Sanogo instead. :coffee:

Arsenal fans on twitter disucssing Jackson Martinez:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHTTDZlUkAAmjQS.jpg

:lol::lol:

God we've got some idiots in our fanbase.

Niall_Quinn
13-06-2015, 12:35 PM
He's going to AC Milan, Martinez I mean, not BlackburnGeorge.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-06-2015, 12:43 PM
The Standard saying you would only be interested in Sterling in a player + cash deal :lol:

1 x Alexis, please.

When are papers going to stop this cash plus player nonsense? :haha:

GP
13-06-2015, 02:28 PM

1 x Alexis, please.

You lot already rejected him once.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
13-06-2015, 04:00 PM
The Cech story seems to be gathering momentum. Hopefully it's a no smoke without fire situation.

Also hearing rumours that the club may be finally getting rid of Gerry Peyton (current GK coach). I've been banging on about this for ages now but I don't think it's a coincidence that mad Jens aside (who was experienced enough to not really need that much coaching) all our goalkeepers have been questionable ever since Bob Wilson was replaced by Peyton.

I mean Szeceny for all his talent has barely improved in the years he's been number one and if anything has regressed which is scandalous considering his age. Allegedly Fabianski didn't like him either and made a show of thanking the reserve team goalkeeper coach (Tony Roberts) over him when he left

You might be 100% right for all I know, but what have you been reading or what are you privy to to think Gerry Peyton is no good?

milla
13-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Should snatch Gerard Deulofeu from Barca, or get that Julian Draxler from Schalke. Both players are better potential Sterling, they are not the flavor of the season so their price tag would be a lot cheaper. In fact get both of them. :coffee:

Bumble
14-06-2015, 10:39 AM
You lot already rejected him once.

I thought Alexis actually rejected Liverpool and chose us.

GP
14-06-2015, 10:55 AM
I thought Alexis actually rejected Liverpool and chose us.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

The Emirates Gallactico
14-06-2015, 11:23 AM
You might be 100% right for all I know, but what have you been reading or what are you privy to to think Gerry Peyton is no good?

Just my personal observations combined with various blog articles and Arsenal twitter. Obviously I'm no ITK or have any direct communication with either of our recent GK's, so I clearly could be completely wrong here and Peyton could be the best GK coach in the world working with just god awful keepers to begin with, however like I said before, I don't think our shit run of keepers coinciding with Peyton becoming GK coach (03 or 04 time I believe) is any coincidence.

On top of the previous two points I made (lack of development in Szechney and possible bad blood between Fabs and Peyton), you can also observe how fantastic Fabianksi has been for Swansea this season. Swansea fans consider him one of their players of the season in an impressive campaign for them and apart from one howler/mistake he's been generally very solid for them this year.

In fact, if it wasn't for our past history with him, he'd be a keeper I'd seriously consider buying to replace Szcehney with.

AFC Leveller
14-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Sterling is simply not worth more than 25m, at best. If Liverpool want 50m for him then thats their problem but the fact that City will evetually pay whatever it takes to make a statment is jus sad.

British hype.com

Marc Overmars
15-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Sky Sports reporting Cech wants to leave for us but Chelsea want a homegrown player in return. :shrug:

http://www1.skysports.com/share/9885218

GP
15-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Sky Sports reporting Cech wants to leave for us but Chelsea want a homegrown player in return. :shrug:

Jenko :wave:

dostoy
15-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Fuck off Chelsea and Fuck off Cech.

Don't want him.

We should find someone better, younger, hungrier, cheaper and not a Chelsea player.

Penguin
15-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Cech hasn't been world class for years. He's a very good shot stopper, but he has plenty of mistakes in him, is a coward when it comes to physical contact and isn't commanding enough in set pieces, even though he's 6'5.

He's also used to playing behind a strong defence who sit quite deep, can we really trust him behind our high line? Chesney excelled when we sat deeper as a team in 2013/14, but it's almost like a completely different role when we move back to a high line. There is a much bigger area to protect, you need to be very quick off your line and you need to make very important snap judgements, cause it's a goal if you get it wrong. I'd rather get a keeper that deals with that week in, week out and have proven that they're good at it (like De Gea and Lloris do) rather than Cech who hasn't.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-06-2015, 09:56 AM

They can get Ashley Maitland Niles or Austin Lipman. :coffee:

But seriously fuck them. Guessing Mourinho realises the importance of homegrown players given the new quota about to come in and with Terry about to be finished, they've not got many good ones.

As much as I like Cech he's not the only good keeper out there.

Just hope the club and Wenger don't faff about with this all summer and they demand that this gets resolved within the next week otherwise they'll move on to other targets.

Syn
15-06-2015, 10:20 AM
mourinho's bitter and wants to unsettle one of ours. He said something about 'well if they want someone in my squad, I could want someone of theirs'. But we won't give them anyone and we won't get Cech because Wenger's an idiot. Should be doing a straight swap for the talentless cunt Jack Wilshere amirite lads?

Not ready to give up on Welbz completely but if it came down to getting the deal done I'd part with him. Or Gibbs. Rest I'd like to keep on the off chance they are able to run around for a full season without breaking.

Syn
15-06-2015, 10:31 AM

Don't want him.

We should find someone better, younger, hungrier, cheaper and not a Chelsea player.

We're not particularly looking for a goalkeeper. This is one of those Ozil type moves where Wenger doesn't care what positions they play - if he really rates them, he'll get it done and sort the rest out later. As far as Gk signings go, I'm pretty sure it'll be Cech or no-one.

Power n Glory
15-06-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm worried we'll do something stupid and give them Walcott.

Syn
15-06-2015, 10:34 AM
think that's the player Mourinho'a after.

Power n Glory
15-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Makes sense. Perfect player for their counter attacks.

Niall_Quinn
15-06-2015, 11:11 AM

Don't want him.

Precisely.

Static
15-06-2015, 11:25 AM
They can have Walcott for Cech and 40 million. Just throw like 15 million at Barcelona for Pedro and move Alexis to the right.

Syn
15-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Is pedro really that good or is he a bit jesus navasy? The thing that makes players like Cesc, Alexis and Costa work here is that they're naturally scrappy, powerful players. Can't wait for fairweather players to adapt, we need to win in the next couple of years or Ozil and Ramsey are off. A fully fit Walcott is ready to make an impact on a title challenge. Just a question of fitness and injuries, same with a few others.

Niall_Quinn
15-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Is pedro really that good or is he a bit jesus navasy? The thing that makes players like Cesc, Alexis and Costa work here is that they're naturally scrappy, powerful players. Can't wait for fairweather players to adapt, we need to win in the next couple of years or Ozil and Ramsey are off. A fully fit Walcott is ready to make an impact on a title challenge. Just a question of fitness and injuries, same with a few others.

Even a fart like Woy gets momentum, last night he said the intensity needs to remain even when the beat San Marino and qualify. We already have the players to challenge for the title. It would be nice to add some more top quality, but I don't think it's necessary to at least mount a serious challenge. Our manager is the impediment. He doesn't understand or value momentum, he prioritises games when in reality only the next game (whatever it is) is important, he doesn't know how to rotate a squad to take best advantage of the players available to him (which could also be a key factor in the injuries we suffer). We won't sustain a challenge with Wenger at the helm no matter who goes or stays. Maybe if we chucked £100mill to get multiple top tier additions the players themselves could drag out a title charge despite the manager. But we won't and shouldn't do that. We have to persist near the top and keep hold of our players until 2017 when Wenger leaves. That's the challenge ahead.

Syn
15-06-2015, 12:35 PM
I don't think it's Wenger's management that causes injuries. But it's well publicised that we have made changes and things have started to pick up recently, players like Ozil and Jack have come back looking a lot stronger. There was a Jeremy Wilson article about it recently.

Wenger's fine. He's 65 and doesn't have that long himself - everything about the last couple of years have signalled he's ready to give it a proper go right now. No more building for the future, all the best players - Alexis, Koscielny, Ramsey, Ozil are about to reach their peak years as footballers, even the fillers like Monreal are at their peak. He's no longer compromising on quality for loyalty. Jenkinson was quite ruthlessly shown the door, and clearly if this Cech interest is real, he doesn't have worries about pissing off Szczesny. We look more competitive in big games now too. Think there's a lot of proper reason for optimism and it's not the same as before. Think we'll snare the league next year.

Power n Glory
15-06-2015, 01:08 PM
I don't think it's Wenger's management that causes injuries. But it's well publicised that we have made changes and things have started to pick up recently, players like Ozil and Jack have come back looking a lot stronger. There was a Jeremy Wilson article about it recently.

Wenger's fine. He's 65 and doesn't have that long himself - everything about the last couple of years have signalled he's ready to give it a proper go right now. No more building for the future, all the best players - Alexis, Koscielny, Ramsey, Ozil are about to reach their peak years as footballers, even the fillers like Monreal are at their peak. He's no longer compromising on quality for loyalty. Jenkinson was quite ruthlessly shown the door, and clearly if this Cech interest is real, he doesn't have worries about pissing off Szczesny. We look more competitive in big games now too. Think there's a lot of proper reason for optimism and it's not the same as before. Think we'll snare the league next year.

Add Gervinho, Santos and Podolski to that list. He's not wasting much time and showing players the door. Just hoping he's looking closely at his legacy and takes the opportunity to rub Mourinho's comments in his face. However long left he has at Arsenal he needs push for the league and Champs League. He doesn't want to look back on his career and find himself defending certain decisions and the lack of trophies when people ask him questions. It will sting and no matter how much he'll try to define his legacy on his own terms, it won't happen and people will keep referring to that barren run.

AFC Leveller
15-06-2015, 02:41 PM
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/1520725_1151033604954301_4293348867194099112_n.png ?oh=9d7cb48b1e9c92061a70476a75b3544a&oe=55F1AF8E

Niall_Quinn
15-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Dzeko looks set to leave the gypos. We're not dumb enough to sign him surely?

Syn
15-06-2015, 04:20 PM
He's very, very good. He's start over
Giroud. Better than Higuain and other strikers we'll be linked with. But part of me hopes his career goes down the pan. He chose money, now deal with being irrelevant you greedy little cunt.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-06-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't think it's Wenger's management that causes injuries. But it's well publicised that we have made changes and things have started to pick up recently, players like Ozil and Jack have come back looking a lot stronger. .

You don't??? I think directly or indirectly he's clearly responsible. We have a long history of buying injury prone players and as Wenger is the man solely responsible for choosing transfer targets than he has to be deemed accountable for that. Also he knew as far back as February last year (before the World Cup) that Koscielny had a tendon problem in his foot and kept on playing him because he didn't want to play Vermaelen because he knew he was going in the summer.

I think it's the fact that Shad Forsythe has been able to actually do his job as a fitness coach is the reason attributable for Ozil and Wilshere.

Power n Glory
15-06-2015, 05:30 PM
You don't??? I think directly or indirectly he's clearly responsible. We have a long history of buying injury prone players and as Wenger is the man solely responsible for choosing transfer targets than he has to be deemed accountable for that. Also he knew as far back as February last year (before the World Cup) that Koscielny had a tendon problem in his foot and kept on playing him because he didn't want to play Vermaelen because he knew he was going in the summer.

I think it's the fact that Shad Forsythe has been able to actually do his job as a fitness coach is the reason attributable for Ozil and Wilshere.

The injury with Koscielny made no sense. Went into the season with a crocked player and his partner tired from an exhausting world cup. Still makes no sense why he'd go into the season with only Chambers and Monreal as our backup defenders. It shouldn't have taken him by surprise considering he knew about the injury and world cup.

He has done the same with Jack and Ramsey before. Overplayed both players and rushed them back from injury for them only to suffer longer layoffs. I can only hope he's finally learned his lesson this season. 3rd year in a row he's gambled on a players fitness.

Niall_Quinn
15-06-2015, 08:34 PM
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/1520725_1151033604954301_4293348867194099112_n.png ?oh=9d7cb48b1e9c92061a70476a75b3544a&oe=55F1AF8E

I thought that was a Photoshop job but apparently it's real. He looks like an old dear. That's really embarrassing, some sort of a dare, a lost bet, a not so covert signal to Dick Law to press the button on the Kalou deal?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-06-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm worried we'll do something stupid and give them Walcott.

As an economist he is likely to see such a deal as precisely that........Stupid. I don't see him countenancing that. Least not in a straight swap.

Mourinho will make it difficult and Cech won't come.

If anybody can name a proven keeper of the level or better than Cech remotely realistic, then they should do so? If they can't, then it highlights the exact problem we face...

If I was to answer my own tedious question though, I'd say Handanovic who I've rated for some time. Inter have fallen into obscurity in Italy and have no chance of winning the CL but it would still take a significant fee.

Marc Overmars
15-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Petr Cech wants Arsenal transfer this summer - according to Chelsea's goalkeeping coach

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/petr-cech-wants-arsenal-transfer-5888499

selassie
16-06-2015, 01:28 PM
As an economist he is likely to see such a deal as precisely that........Stupid. I don't see him countenancing that. Least not in a straight swap.

Mourinho will make it difficult and Cech won't come.

If anybody can name a proven keeper of the level or better than Cech remotely realistic, then they should do so? If they can't, then it highlights the exact problem we face...

If I was to answer my own tedious question though, I'd say Handanovic who I've rated for some time. Inter have fallen into obscurity in Italy and have no chance of winning the CL but it would still take a significant fee.

Yeah I agree with all of this, it's Cech or bust for me. I think we'll get the deal done but like you say Mourinho will make it as difficult as possible for us and pretty much do as much as he can to sabotage the deal. I think this one will drag on for a while yet.

Marc Overmars
16-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Falcao to join Chelsea on loan. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
16-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Falcao to join Chelsea on loan. :lol:

Guess they are setting up a £50mill laundry deal for next summer. Then they will sell him to their feeder club Ruski Krakpipe in 2017. For £60mill.

The Emirates Gallactico
16-06-2015, 11:53 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3127110/Jose-Mourinho-stalling-11m-Petr-Cech-deal-Chelsea-manager-reluctant-help-rivals-Arsenal.html

As expected Mourinho's stalling over the Cech deal.

He allegedly asked for The Ox or Theo in exchange which thankfully Wenger rejected categorically. :lol::lol:

Just hope that this doesn't go along all summer and we move on to someone else if doesn't get concluded sharpish.

Power n Glory
17-06-2015, 06:37 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3127110/Jose-Mourinho-stalling-11m-Petr-Cech-deal-Chelsea-manager-reluctant-help-rivals-Arsenal.html

He allegedly asked for The Ox or Theo in exchange which thankfully Wenger rejected categorically. :lol::lol:

Just hope that this doesn't go along all summer and we move on to someone else if doesn't get concluded sharpish.

We should walk away from the deal. The son bitch will probably stall the deal and dangle enough to keep us from searching and negotiating other deals.

Zerlathon
17-06-2015, 07:13 AM
We should walk away from the deal. The son bitch will probably stall the deal and dangle enough to keep us from searching and negotiating other deals.

Whilst I agree that Mourinho will no doubt make it as awkward as possible for us to get Cech, just walking away after that would be premature. However at the same time that does not stop us from looking elsewhere at the same time.

Begovic if we are going for a good keeper at ~£10m, but if Wenger is prepared to spend in this area then I would try getting our hands on Neuer (I would suggest Lloris as well, but you know Spurs are only going to throw a ridiculous price on him because it's us :/ )

McNamara That Ghost...
17-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Chelsea on the verge of signing Old Man Falcao, as hinted at above.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33155911

Japan Shaking All Over
17-06-2015, 08:30 AM

Jose has got to be the biggest WUM after our very own......there is no way in hell that we give up anyone apart from Letters as part if any deal for Cech

Marc Overmars
17-06-2015, 08:51 AM
City bid 40m for Sterling. :lol:

The Emirates Gallactico
17-06-2015, 10:50 AM

If it doesn't get concluded by the end of June I hope we do move on. We've played this out already with Ba.

The good thing is that by all accounts Cech seems really eager to move so I'm hoping with some messages passed through unofficial channels, he forces through the move quickly.

As for others, I really like the looks of Leno at Monglabech or Oblak at Athletico.

lol at the Neuer suggestion. Bayern wouldn't sell him for all the tea in China.

It's like they enjoy wasting money. :lol:

They could probably get him for 30 million or less if they strong armed Liverpool - their position is really weak - yet City are just prepared to throw money quickly despite no one else being interested. :doh:

FFP :rose:

Niall_Quinn
17-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Supposedly they're after Delph too. It's like a trip to the sweet shop with an inappropriate uncle.

fakeyank
17-06-2015, 05:22 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9888108/aston-villa-complete-free-transfer-of-micah-richards

Why didnt we get him on a free? Surely a very good back up!!

Globalgunner
17-06-2015, 05:46 PM
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9888108/aston-villa-complete-free-transfer-of-micah-richards

Why didnt we get him on a free? Surely a very good back up!!

Only as a back up for another fragile RB in Debuchy

Marc Overmars
17-06-2015, 06:01 PM
It's been about 4 years since Micah Richards had a good game.

fakeyank
17-06-2015, 06:22 PM
It's been about 4 years since Micah Richards had a good game.

Harsh. He hardly ever got a game! :lol:

I think as a CB/RB backup, he wouldve been a good investment (free transfer).

GP
17-06-2015, 06:27 PM
The fact he's at Villa now speaks volumes for where he is now.

Shaqiri Is Boss
17-06-2015, 06:31 PM
The fact he's at Villa now speaks volumes for where he is now.

You know why, David? Because of the kids. They called me Mr Glass.

Maestro
17-06-2015, 07:23 PM

The Ox must be worth £60m, Bellerin £50m, Rambo £50m & Jack £65m (extra GHEL factor) at that rate of exchange.

alexander
17-06-2015, 07:58 PM
He looks a decent player, but 40mil for him at this age and really unproven is mental. if he is 40mil, what value would that put on Messi/ronaldo etc? Dont want him here anyway, looks like he will be trouble, arrogant little prick.

Penguin
17-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Sterling is worth nowhere near £40m, but City would rather spend £10-15m extra to get him now. Anything less and Liverpool would laugh them off. Rodgers had a hard enough time attracting top quality players when Liverpool were IN the champions league, what chance do they have now? If they lose Sterling they will struggle to replace him.

For most clubs it would be a massive risk to take on Sterling for that kind of money but it's peanuts to City whether or not he turns good for them. <_<

McNamara That Ghost...
17-06-2015, 09:09 PM
£35.5 say BBC, anyway it's only a bid, which will probably get rejected.

Likely to end up being £45 million or something daft.

The most expensive English player ever should not be somebody that has difficulty shooting properly.

Zerlathon
18-06-2015, 06:52 AM
lol at the Neuer suggestion. Bayern wouldn't sell him for all the tea in China.

Yeah, I thought it was a stupid suggestion AFTER I click post, and couldn't be bothered to edit it. :ilt:

Power n Glory
18-06-2015, 08:01 AM
The Ox must be worth £60m, Bellerin £50m, Rambo £50m & Jack £65m (extra GHEL factor) at that rate of exchange.

:lol: That's crazy talk. Nobody is willing to pay those prices for our players and that's the differnce. This whole value comparison system needs a rethink. City make ridiculous offers for players because they don't want to haggle.

It gets silly when clubs like Napoli are slapping £75m price tag on Higuain. Nobody will pay that for him because he's not highly sought after.

Marc Overmars
18-06-2015, 01:10 PM
City interested in Wheelchair. :lol:

Go away you rats. How about sorting out your own homegrown players?

GP
18-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Ospina is linked to Fenerbache

The Emirates Gallactico
18-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Wow, completely ruthless by Arsene if true.

Would have thought Szcheny would be the one to go but it seems that Wenger still has some faith in him. Kind of feel a bit sorry for Ospina but it's the nature of the business at a top club.

Marc Overmars
18-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Cech would probably be Wenget's most ruthless signing ever.

Niall_Quinn
18-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Apart from Sanogo. That one showed a cold hearted disregard for the fans, and football in general.

AFC Leveller
18-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Agree. He usually puts his players first no matter what (Denilson) but if he does get Cech then you can only assume he has found his marbles and really wants to go for it.

AFC Leveller
18-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Apart from Sanogo. That one showed a cold hearted disregard for the fans, and football in general.

Amaury Bischoff.

Gooner23
18-06-2015, 03:47 PM
I'd be glad to keep Chesney over Ospina as he's younger and has more potential in my opinion, plus more affinity to the club. But it all seems very un Wenger like to ditch a player after one season for a 33 year old. I'm little bit sceptical.

Marc Overmars
18-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Well regardless of how you feel about Cech, he's definitely better than Ospina. We've got the money and a very good upgrade is available on the market, no pussyfooting around now and I like it.

Power n Glory
18-06-2015, 04:29 PM
That Art of War reading, Machiavellian, prick Mourinho won't sell us Cech. He'll stall the deal for as long as possible and if by miracle it goes through, we better run a thorough medical examination on Cech. I wouldn't put it past Mourinho to sell us a dead horse.

fakeyank
18-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Seems like Cech is a done deal (twitterverse)

Marc Overmars
18-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Chelsea want Rob Green to replace Cech apparently. :lol:

GP
18-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I sincerely hope they get him.

Remember when they signed Schwarzer? :lol: Weird

The Emirates Gallactico
18-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Bookies have stopped taking bets on it allgedely. Seems to be a done thing.

I sincerely hope they get him.

Remember when they signed Schwarzer? :lol: Weird

Guessing this is Green's reward for his "mistake" last season when Chelsea were desperate for points in the final run in.

Hope Courtois suffers a long term injury the day after the window shuts so they have to rely on this clown whilst we'll have Cech.

McNamara That Ghost...
18-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Selling Ospina? :(

Goodbye Colombian flag.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-06-2015, 09:29 PM

Goodbye Colombian flag.

Goodbye Incompetent midget

GP
18-06-2015, 09:33 PM

#ObviousLettersJoke

Globalgunner
19-06-2015, 05:33 AM

Goodbye Colombian flag.

Goodbye extremely hot sister

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Wow, completely ruthless by Arsene if true.

Would have thought Szcheny would be the one to go but it seems that Wenger still has some faith in him. Kind of feel a bit sorry for Ospina but it's the nature of the business at a top club.

If Wenger had changed into Mr Ruthless we wouldn't have offered pointless contracts to Rosicky or Arteta. I am a Rosicky fan but he won't play ahead of the likes of Santi, Rambo, Ozil or Jack & bearing in mind Wenger seems to think OX is a central midfielder, he will struggle to get a game next year with that lot in front of him. We also have to think of Zelalem & the young Polish lad. If they are ever going to given a chance they need to replace the likes of Arteta & Rosicky as back up midfielders.

Power n Glory
19-06-2015, 09:23 AM
If Wenger had changed into Mr Ruthless we wouldn't have offered pointless contracts to Rosicky or Arteta. I am a Rosicky fan but he won't play ahead of the likes of Santi, Rambo, Ozil or Jack & bearing in mind Wenger seems to think OX is a central midfielder, he will struggle to get a game next year with that lot in front of him. We also have to think of Zelalem & the young Polish lad. If they are ever going to given a chance they need to replace the likes of Arteta & Rosicky as back up midfielders.

No way. We need cover and both are good enough for cover. When things are going wrong, these two can at least steady the boat, especially Rosicky. If Santi were to get injured and Ramsey or Wilshere aren't working in as CM, Rosicky will guarantee a solid performance and getting our passing game and fluidity back. A one year contract does us no harm. We need a blend of youth and experience along with a big squad. Culling experience too soon again just repeats the pattern of the past. Besides influence on the field, we need strong experienced heads in the squad to guide the youth.

Niall_Quinn
19-06-2015, 09:28 AM
I think the squad is starting to look powerful, with some good depth to it. About time too, it has only taken 10 years. The advantage of squad depth is having a manager who knows how to best utilise it :doh:

Niall_Quinn
19-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Time to move for Vidal. He's at a low point right now having gone into full arsehole mode. A call from Wenger, some inside work from Alexis, get the bid in and get the job done. His energy and work rate alongside Alexis would make Matic and Hazard look like the fairy duet. Make it happen Wenger and stop pissing around playing Maureen's Cech games.

The Emirates Gallactico
19-06-2015, 09:51 AM
No way. We need cover and both are good enough for cover. When things are going wrong, these two can at least steady the boat, especially Rosicky. If Santi were to get injured and Ramsey or Wilshere aren't working in as CM, Rosicky will guarantee a solid performance and getting our passing game and fluidity back. A one year contract does us no harm. We need a blend of youth and experience along with a big squad. Culling experience too soon again just repeats the pattern of the past. Besides influence on the field, we need strong experienced heads in the squad to guide the youth.

This.

Everyone bitched and moaned that the invincibles were culled too early and the squad lacked experience after that and now we want to repeat the same mistakes. :lol:

It's a long season with numerous games, especially if you want to go far in all four competitions.

Rosicky is still boss and should hopefully get some decent game time and as for Arteta, he's a magnificent club captain apparently and is primarily the main driver behind the fantastic team atmosphere at the club now by helping integrate all the cliques together. He's also top coach potential; no harm in him sticking around if he wants to either.

Flamini can fuck off though, even if he's Ozil's new BFF.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Totally disagree & your thoughts echo why we've become a second rate team when it comes to competing top level over the past decade. Are you seriously suggesting that Arteta is good cover if Coq is out - would Arteta get into a Chelsea or Man City team as a substitute DM. Did you not see the pressure our defense is under with Arteta in that role. Rosicky has been at the club a long time & has more than enough chances to become a 1st team regular. He is too inconstant & like Arteta wouldn't make any other top team. Players like Bielek & Zelalem could potentially be world class & shouldn't have to sit behind a couple of old farts who Wenger thinks are good professionals. Good professionals they may be, but not good enough.
We are now being linked with Lars Bender ( which I think is a good move for us ), as I do a move for Scheiderlin. Also a move for Draxler is being banded about again. If any off these turn into reality, Arteta & Rosicky would be too far down the pecking order & surplus to requirements. Unlike the younger lads mentioned above they have nothing to offer this club that could help us compete at the top table in the coming years.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 12:30 PM
This.

Everyone bitched and moaned that the invincibles were culled too early and the squad lacked experience after that and now we want to repeat the same mistakes. :lol:

It's a long season with numerous games, especially if you want to go far in all four competitions.

Rosicky is still boss and should hopefully get some decent game time and as for Arteta, he's a magnificent club captain apparently and is primarily the main driver behind the fantastic team atmosphere at the club now by helping integrate all the cliques together. He's also top coach potential; no harm in him sticking around if he wants to either.

Flamini can fuck off though, even if he's Ozil's new BFF.

We have more than enough experience without Arteta or Rosicky. Experienced pros can only have an affect on how we play if they are on the pitch, doesn't matter how much they are part of a "fantastic team atmosphere". They are taking up places in a squad where we have good youngsters coming through & the need to add more quality. If we have a fairly injuring-free start to next year, Rosicky & Arteta will probably only get a start in the League cup. When we already know what they can offer & they are coming to the end of their careers - is that really a good move instead of giving the youngsters a chance to stake a claim.

Power n Glory
19-06-2015, 01:27 PM
We have more than enough experience without Arteta or Rosicky. Experienced pros can only have an affect on how we play if they are on the pitch, doesn't matter how much they are part of a "fantastic team atmosphere". They are taking up places in a squad where we have good youngsters coming through & the need to add more quality. If we have a fairly injuring-free start to next year, Rosicky & Arteta will probably only get a start in the League cup. When we already know what they can offer & they are coming to the end of their careers - is that really a good move instead of giving the youngsters a chance to stake a claim.

Keep thinking along those lines and you'll understand why Wenger kept Denilson in the starting line up for so long and why Sanogo was getting games. I'm against reserving spots for players that haven't proven themselves whilst shifting out players that have. Ramsey, Wilshere and Ox are inconsistent young players. We can't bank on them. We don't even have a lot of good DM's so it makes even less sense to ship Arteta out. I have no problem with keeping a big squad. It's only a problem if it gets in the way of us signing players and Arteta and Rosicky aren't the players getting in the way. 1 year contracts are fine. Wilshere and Ramsey are the players stopping Wenger from signing better players because he's banking on them to prove their potential. While that happens, we need stop gap players that can perform on days they fumble. Wenger kept the in form players playing last season and didn't shunt Bellerin or Coquelin to the bench once Debucy and Arteta were fit. It's nothing to worry about.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Keep thinking along those lines and you'll understand why Wenger kept Denilson in the starting line up for so long and why Sanogo was getting games. I'm against reserving spots for players that haven't proven themselves whilst shifting out players that have. Ramsey, Wilshere and Ox are inconsistent young players. We can't bank on them. We don't even have a lot of good DM's so it makes even less sense to ship Arteta out. I have no problem with keeping a big squad. It's only a problem if it gets in the way of us signing players and Arteta and Rosicky aren't the players getting in the way. 1 year contracts are fine. Wilshere and Ramsey are the players stopping Wenger from signing better players because he's banking on them to prove their potential. While that happens, we need stop gap players that can perform on days they fumble. Wenger kept the in form players playing last season and didn't shunt Bellerin or Coquelin to the bench once Debucy and Arteta were fit. It's nothing to worry about.

So if we all think along your lines we would not have replaced Arteta with Coq ( who hadn't proved himself ), if Arteta hadn't got injured. I'm sure you'd agree - BIG, BIG mistake. If you have an outstanding player, doing the right things most of the time then ofcourse its going to be difficult for a younger guy to make an impact but we have areas in our team where a younger version with hunger to add to quality can improve us.
Also can't understand how you would compare Arteta & Rosicky to Jack & Rambo. Whilst both can suffer from inconsistency Jack & Rambo have done in a relatively short 1st team career far more then I can ever remember from Arteta & Rosicky. Jack finished this year looking top class for club & country. It was only the season before last where before injury Rambo was being talked about as one of Europe's top players. When in their Arsenal careers can you ever say that about Rosicky & Arteta.
They have been nothing more than average for a very long time, along with other deadwood that Wenger has assembled along the way (Denilson being one of them) - which believe it or not could be the reason why we have been nothing more than average for the last decade.

Penguin
19-06-2015, 02:17 PM

The 6ft midget :lol:

Penguin
19-06-2015, 02:26 PM
This isn't football manager, part of managing the squad includes keeping experienced lads like Rosicky and Arteta who can still have a big influence on and off the pitch. It's illogical to have too many mid 20 internationals who all want and expect to play all the time. Why do you think Mourinho bought a 37 year old Drogba last year, or (if the rumours are true) a Falcao with his confidence in the gutters this year?

They aren't blocking anyone. Rosicky hardly gets a game these days, but he is still capable of coming off the bench and showing the rest of them how it should be done.

Power n Glory
19-06-2015, 02:44 PM
So if we all think along your lines we would not have replaced Arteta with Coq ( who hadn't proved himself ), if Arteta hadn't got injured. I'm sure you'd agree - BIG, BIG mistake. If you have an outstanding player, doing the right things most of the time then ofcourse its going to be difficult for a younger guy to make an impact but we have areas in our team where a younger version with hunger to add to quality can improve us.
Also can't understand how you would compare Arteta & Rosicky to Jack & Rambo. Whilst both can suffer from inconsistency Jack & Rambo have done in a relatively short 1st team career far more then I can ever remember from Arteta & Rosicky. Jack finished this year looking top class for club & country. It was only the season before last where before injury Rambo was being talked about as one of Europe's top players. When in their Arsenal careers can you ever say that about Rosicky & Arteta.
They have been nothing more than average for a very long time, along with other deadwood that Wenger has assembled along the way (Denilson being one of them) - which believe it or not could be the reason why we have been nothing more than average for the last decade.

I think Jack scoring those blinding goals have clouded your judgement. He's been inconsistent along with Ramsey. Cazorla playing as CM really anchored our midfield and got the fluidity back into our play. Throw in Ozil and we didn't need Jack or Ramsey to start. The only other player in the squad I know can anchor the midfield like that after looking disjointed is Rosicky. A player's player and lack of appearances and injuries have held him back from really shining. ButJack and Aaron could still learn a lot from him. Intelligent distribution, deft touch and he works hard in the middle. They could learn a great deal and I wouldn't be so quick dismiss him. In hard times he can change the flow of things for us. It's a shambles that it's not recognised more Arsenal fans.

Jack and Aaron have no partnership in the midfield at all. No communication between the two or intelligent movement around the pitch so we're not leaving gaps. You can't have both playing and when we tried playing both, we were playing poor and out of the title race early.

As for Coquelin, in my books, he had proven himself before the season kicked off. I was calling for him to get some game time before he was loaned out to Charlton because I remember his performances before being loaned out in Germany. I'm not against giving youth a shot but I'm against reserving a first team place for unproven youth whilst pushing out experienced players that we know can perform to a standard at least. Not the biggest Arteta fan but I wouldn't push him out the team now when we are short in DM.

Niall_Quinn
19-06-2015, 02:59 PM
The shit Arteta gets is incredible. He's been a model pro and a great captain for us. He's played out of position for ages (blame Wenger for that, not Arteta), he's been ultra reliable in key pressure situations, why wouldn't we want to have a senior player of this calibre and professionalism around the club? Diaby is gone and the chances of us making more than one or two signings in the summer is slim, so what's the rush to push Arteta and Rosicky out? We need a manager who understands how to use 20+ players over a long season rather than grinding a few favourites into the dirt, Arteta and Rosicky can be excellent players for us if used judiciously. Not saying Wenger will manage things properly, but the opportunity is there for him if he wants to do it.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Arteta slows us down to much - was good at supplying the killer diagonal ball to Cahill at Everton - but isn't quick enough on his feet to do the Fabregas type tippy tappy role he was bought for. Wenger finally realised this ( coz it does take him a bit of time to spot the obvious) but then in his infinite wisdom decided he would make a good DM & therefore ruined him as a player of any use. He may be a lovely guy & a model pro but then give him a coaching role - don't have him stinking up the bench when his presence on a football pitch actually has a negative affect on us.

Globalgunner
19-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Rosicky to my mind is still a good player, still plays for his national team because his manager recognises that the injuries have not dulled the player that he once was. I would gladly give him15-20 games next season. Arteta on the other hand can do one. Useless player, not his fault but he has dropped off a cliff in capability since joining us. He can take his immaculate hair and behaviour to Swindon town or West Ham. I can think of no situation we could find ourselves where Arteta`s stationary pillar football would be required. No need for sentiments. He has had a good career, we are nobody's retirement home. Wenger is already on an expensive pension here.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-06-2015, 04:01 PM
The 6ft midget :lol:

Compared to Cech, Courtouis, De Gea who are all 6ft 4 +

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-06-2015, 04:02 PM
The shit Arteta gets is incredible. He's been a model pro and a great captain for us. He's played out of position for ages (blame Wenger for that, not Arteta), he's been ultra reliable in key pressure situations, why wouldn't we want to have a senior player of this calibre and professionalism around the club? Diaby is gone and the chances of us making more than one or two signings in the summer is slim, so what's the rush to push Arteta and Rosicky out? We need a manager who understands how to use 20+ players over a long season rather than grinding a few favourites into the dirt, Arteta and Rosicky can be excellent players for us if used judiciously. Not saying Wenger will manage things properly, but the opportunity is there for him if he wants to do it.

I have no personal issue with Arteta I just don't want him anywhere near the first team, too slow and too much of a sideways passer

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-06-2015, 04:35 PM
Bielek & Zelalem are nowhere near the first team and Arteta is our only back up DCM (I'm not counting Chambers sorry). I read on Arseblog Zelalem saying he wouldn't be surprised if he was playing week in week out next year. Nice Cojones kid but I almost spat my coffee out reading it. It just isn't going to happen.

Rosicky has been unfortunate a little similar to the way Theo was. If the manager won't play you even when he can afford to bring you on, you won't get any better and in the mean time people will slag said player off finding every reason why them not playing is totally justified.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 04:44 PM
But how will we know when Bielek & Zelalem are ready for the 1st team? - Rooney was playing for Everton at 16, Messi for Barca at 17, Ronaldo in Portugal the same. They were given their chances because they didn't have 2 or 3 old farts ahead of them who had already had plenty of time to claim a 1st team spot. Why do we always seem to think players are too young under 20 when the two very best players in the world were given their chance in their teens.

Penguin
19-06-2015, 04:54 PM
You can afford to give attackers a chance at a younger age, as there's much less risk of something going wrong. In defence and DM it's rarely done because it can lose you matches.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Dont agree - not scoring goals loses you matches. If there good enough, their old enough.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 05:00 PM
I have no personal issue with Arteta I just don't want him anywhere near the first team, too slow and too much of a sideways passer

There you go Herbie - I knew we'd agree on something one day!

Niall_Quinn
19-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Dont agree - not scoring goals loses you matches. If there good enough, their old enough.

You said, "If there good enough, their old enough."

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
19-06-2015, 05:29 PM
But how will we know when Bielek & Zelalem are ready for the 1st team? - Rooney was playing for Everton at 16, Messi for Barca at 17, Ronaldo in Portugal the same. They were given their chances because they didn't have 2 or 3 old farts ahead of them who had already had plenty of time to claim a 1st team spot. Why do we always seem to think players are too young under 20 when the two very best players in the world were given their chance in their teens.

If you were the youth academy coach at Barca / Everton watching Rooney / Messi play....do you think you would have enough about you to spot the fact they were patently too good for the level of football they were playing and were ready for the step up?

They got their chance early because it was obvious that they were good enough. If either of Bielekor Zelalem were ready they would be getting on the bench ahead of Ramsey and Wilshere who have had their share of time on the bench this season.....never mind ahead of older pro's like Arteta and Rosicky.

Why do you think the point of realisation regarding a young players talent is his official first team debut? To the rest of the world it will be then, to the players club it will be before that.

I can tell you to add more weight to this idea that I am as much excited about Dan Crowley's ascension as I am Bielek & Zelalem's and if Crowley ends up being a top player it won't have been his senior first team appearance in which I realised he was a special player.

Dein-machine
19-06-2015, 06:11 PM
If you were the youth academy coach at Barca / Everton watching Rooney / Messi play....do you think you would have enough about you to spot the fact they were patently too good for the level of football they were playing and were ready for the step up?

They got their chance early because it was obvious that they were good enough. If either of Bielekor Zelalem were ready they would be getting on the bench ahead of Ramsey and Wilshere who have had their share of time on the bench this season.....never mind ahead of older pro's like Arteta and Rosicky.

Why do you think the point of realisation regarding a young players talent is his official first team debut? To the rest of the world it will be then, to the players club it will be before that.

I can tell you to add more weight to this idea that I am as much excited about Dan Crowley's ascension as I am Bielek & Zelalem's and if Crowley ends up being a top player it won't have been his senior first team appearance in which I realised he was a special player.

No - my point is they should be getting on the bench instead of Arteta & Rosicky. Ramsey & Wilshire have shown their potential & they are young enough to improve & be part of future success - Rosicky & Arteta cannot.
Its much easier to ease the likes of Zelalem into games where we've got a decent lead & he's got experience around him. Who's to say he couldn't make an immediate impact - lets say in place of an out of form Ramsey & then within weeks we are talking about him being the new saviour of Arsenal. These things happen, Coq was fortunate to get his chance - I very much doubt any of the Arsenal coaches thought he would make the impact he did otherwise why he hell was he behind Arteta & Flamini in the 1st place. We struck lucky & a lad we were happy to be loaning out last year because we didn't think was good enough for our 1st team is now one of the first names on the sheet. What about if he hadn't been able to get on the bench because we had bought a DM last summer & had kept Arteta & Flamini on the bench ahead of him. He may well have become a Brentford player by now. When we know we've had the best out of certain players & they cannot improve due to age - get rid.
I agree with you on Crowley but we are assessing him against the opposition he plays against. As per the situation with Coquelin this

Power n Glory
19-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Rosicky scored more goals than Jack this season and with less starts in the team. Jack scored 2, Rosicky scored 3 and I've already mentioned bow he adds to our passing game when involved. Jack has time on his side but you can't say Rosicky contributed nothing at all.

Coquelin should have been starting games early last season. Always thought he was ready but the fact that the manager didn't see what he could offer earlier is the real problem. Shipping out Arteta and trying bump players up the pecking order by shifting out the old won't guarantee a starting position. Ship Arteta out and we'd still have Flamini. Lose Flamini and Wenger is still prepared to give Chambers a chance in the midfield. Making the squad smaller isn't the solution it just creates another problem when we should be addressing the core problem.

Asthmatic Kitty
20-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Howedes rejected us, apparently. Good to see we're going after another CB though.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9890722/8203schalke-defender-benedikt-howedes-rejects-arsenal-transfer

Niall_Quinn
20-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Rosicky is at least as good (and possibly 38 times better) than your typical Milner type so commonly found in the PL. So is Arteta. Think of them all, the Hendersons and Delphs. All would probably be listed at £30mill+ Ludicrous but that's the going rate for your average PL mediaball player. Why would we get rid of two decent players when we don't need to? Makes no sense at all. Getting rid of their experience would be twice as crazy.

Strong squad - it's all good.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-06-2015, 05:10 PM
No - my point is they should be getting on the bench instead of Arteta & Rosicky. Ramsey & Wilshire have shown their potential & they are young enough to improve & be part of future success - Rosicky & Arteta cannot.
Its much easier to ease the likes of Zelalem into games where we've got a decent lead & he's got experience around him. Who's to say he couldn't make an immediate impact - lets say in place of an out of form Ramsey & then within weeks we are talking about him being the new saviour of Arsenal. These things happen, Coq was fortunate to get his chance - I very much doubt any of the Arsenal coaches thought he would make the impact he did otherwise why he hell was he behind Arteta & Flamini in the 1st place. We struck lucky & a lad we were happy to be loaning out last year because we didn't think was good enough for our 1st team is now one of the first names on the sheet. What about if he hadn't been able to get on the bench because we had bought a DM last summer & had kept Arteta & Flamini on the bench ahead of him. He may well have become a Brentford player by now. When we know we've had the best out of certain players & they cannot improve due to age - get rid.
I agree with you on Crowley but we are assessing him against the opposition he plays against. As per the situation with Coquelin this

Why should they be getting on the bench if they aren't good enough yet? We don't even have space for Gnabry who has actually hasn't done a lot wrong to be omitted from the squads. Zelalem is good, not amazing and nobody knows how good Bielek is... Players have to exceed the expectations of the current level they're at or else they don't get to step. Were that not the case Arsenal football club wouldn't be signing Kristian Bielek in the first place.

Just because a player won't improve, doesn't meant he can't be part of any future success. If that's the case then we should leave Petr Cech where he is or revert back to our antiquated policy of never signing or offering contracts to 30+ year old's.

Marc Overmars
20-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Chelsea and City are reportedly interested in Alex Song because he qualifies as homegrown. :lol:

This rule is a bit silly really.

Niall_Quinn
21-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Chelsea and City are reportedly interested in Alex Song because he qualifies as homegrown. :lol:

This rule is a bit silly really.

It'll be silly for the first few years while clubs adjust. Then English football will be forced to train youngsters to do more than kick Diaby.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Sky Sports reporting that personal terms have been agreed with Cech but negotiations with Chelsea are ongoing.

Power n Glory
22-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Sky Sports reporting that personal terms have been agreed with Cech but negotiations with Chelsea are ongoing.

How is that possible? Isn't that tapping up?

AFC Leveller
22-06-2015, 09:12 AM
I have to say im still really surprised AW has actually done this! Its unlike him to sign a GK a year after signing his new number 1. Could this be the new Arsenal, ruthless and always looking for the best available?

GP
22-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Cech makes us stronger, there's no doubt about that.
Good signing.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 10:20 AM

The terms have reportedly been agreed in principle, so I'm sure Chelsea have allowed him to explore his options given his desire to leave.

Özim
22-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Cech makes us stronger, there's no doubt about that.
Good signing.

People who were telling us he was average not so long ago suddenly think Cech is the best thing since sliced bread. He's a good keeper, but nowhere near as good as he use to be, I personally would prefer an younger keeper who's got years ahead of him. Chelsea found Courtois, let him prove himself at the top level and then moved him back to replace Cech so clearly they think his best days are behind him too.

I find it hard to swallow that we're effectively taking on another club's reject.

Dein-machine
22-06-2015, 11:01 AM
People who were telling us he was average not so long ago suddenly think Cech is the best thing since sliced bread. He's a good keeper, but nowhere near as good as he use to be, I personally would prefer an younger keeper who's got years ahead of him. Chelsea found Courtois, let him prove himself at the top level and then moved him back to replace Cech so clearly they think his best days are behind him too.

I find it hard to swallow that we're effectively taking on another club's reject.

Agreed - trouble is many on here have become Wengerised into accepting 2nd best - or mostly 4th best

Bumble
22-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Surely buying a player who improves the 1st XI is actually a good move? I think people who think the money should be spent elsewhere are probably more Wengerised as buying a keeper should not have an dramatic impact on spending elsewhere. And who cares how much we spend, ticket prices aren't going to go down if we don't spend the money so just do it and move on.

Static
22-06-2015, 11:24 AM

IIRC, Courtois is partly playing because he basically said play me or I leave.

Chelsea knew they couldn't let him leave. That's part of why he is playing.

The idea should be to groom sneezy until he is ready to take over. Meanwhile he can learn from Cech.

Static
22-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Double post.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Technically yes but everyone does it I believe.

It'll only be an issue if Chelsea have a problem with it and report us with actual evidence (not newspaper/media rumours) which is difficult to do as transfers are done through several intermediaries these days. You won't ever see Dick Law/Gazidis/Wenger in the same room as Cech until the transfer is officially ratified.

Trust you to find a negative in this.

After De Gea pisses of to Real, he'd comfortably be the second best keeper in the league and he's easily the best goalkeeper available to purchase this window. If that's accepting second best to people ........ then I have no words literally.

In fact I'm not comprehemsively sold on Courtois yet. Talented yes, but he's the got the odd mistake in him and could easily go the way of a Chesney given his age. It's a no brainer from Chelsea to make him number one as he's the future but I could easily see a situation where Cech is the better keeper next season.

Özim
22-06-2015, 12:22 PM

Trust you to find a negative in this.

After De Gea pisses of to Real, he'd comfortably be the second best keeper in the league and he's easily the best goalkeeper available to purchase this window. If that's accepting second best to people ........ then I have no words literally.

In fact I'm not comprehemsively sold on Courtois yet. Talented yes, but he's the got the odd mistake in him and could easily go the way of a Chesney given his age. It's a no brainer from Chelsea to make him number one as he's the future but I could easily see a situation where Cech is the better keeper next season.

It's not being negative it's fact, 95% of people on her have been saying how he's past it and prone to errors for a few years now, but suddenly now that we're linked heavily with him he's a great addition and is exactly what we need.

He was amazing before his head injury, but he's simply not been the same since, yes he's still a good keeper but he's nowhere near as good as he was.

As for Courtois, he's top class as he proved time and time again for Athletico, it took De Gea time to settle but once he did be proved how good he was, the same will happen with Courtois. As for Chelsea and Courtois, well they could have let him leave if they didn't think he was better than Cech, but they didn't because they thought he was, which clearly shows he was 2nd choice at Chelsea and that they're happy to let him go.

Chesney, I don't really rate that highly, we need a replacement for him rather than someone for him to learn from, he's screwed up countless times especially when under pressure (his performance for Poland in the Euros was a shambles).

Because of his age, Cech isn't a huge step forward, in a few years we'll need to replace him and will have the same problem again.

Letters
22-06-2015, 12:25 PM
95% of people on her have been saying how he's past it and prone to errors for a few years now
Made up stats :bow:

Özim
22-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Made up stats :bow:

I gave up on real stats when I realised they only apply when you're the one using them in a debate.

Globalgunner
22-06-2015, 12:37 PM
However bad you may think Cech is, he is still an improvement on the pair we have. Ospina is okay, but wont save us 10 points a season like a De gea or Cortious will. can you imagine where United would have ended last season w/o the Spaniard in goal. Funny that we seem to have forgotten about Martinez. From what I recall, he did quite well in the few games he played for us last season. If Sczezny doesnt get off his high horse and knuckle down. Martinez may be the one to take over from Cech. I hope he gets a run in the CC cup this season.

Globalgunner
22-06-2015, 12:47 PM
In other news Kondogbia is another one we can strike off the wishlist. Done deal to Inter. I recall both he and Sanogo were in the same France under 20 team in 2013 before we chose to sign San-no-goal

Power n Glory
22-06-2015, 12:53 PM
I do remember a discussion on Cech where some were saying he's not the same player but you'd have to name names if anyone has flip flopped and has suddenly changed their tune.

IMO it's a good signing if it goes through. I still don't think it will happen. But if it happens, you can't slam Wenger for going for him. Signing a keeper is difficult because most of the best are first choice at their club and you don't know when a top class one will become available so you have to pounce at the opportunity. If anyone thinks Cech isn't good enough, you'll be hard pressed to name someone better that's available. Unless you make a ridiculous offer for the keeper, no club will sell.

Letters
22-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I gave up on real stats when I realised they only apply when they back up what I've already decided to be true and can be ignored or dismissed when they show I'm talking balls.

Corrected your minor typo there :tiphat:

Dein-machine
22-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I do remember a discussion on Cech where some were saying he's not the same player but you'd have to name names if anyone has flip flopped and has suddenly changed their tune.

IMO it's a good signing if it goes through. I still don't think it will happen. But if it happens, you can't slam Wenger for going for him. Signing a keeper is difficult because most of the best are first choice at their club and you don't know when a top class one will become available so you have to pounce at the opportunity. If anyone thinks Cech isn't good enough, you'll be hard pressed to name someone better that's available. Unless you make a ridiculous offer for the keeper, no club will sell.

Why shouldn't we slam Wenger. We are having to buy a second choice keeper who is past his best from our rivals due to whom? - Whilst teams around us inc the f-----g spuds are buying the likes of Lloris & De Gea, our recent keepers have been Ches, Flapianski & Ospina. Why, because they were £10 mill cheaper than buying proper quality in the 1st place. Now, we are paying that £10 mill for a keeper past his best & one that will be worth f--k all in a few years time.
If we are that useless at finding quality young keepers, the Spuds are lining up Gerrin from Genoa ( if they lose Lloris ) who is very highly rated - most of our scouts have defected to Spurs over the past few years ( because of pay & Wengers running of the academy ) & we don't seem to have replaced them, so lets nick their ideas for a change & buy for the future.

GP
22-06-2015, 01:34 PM
agreed, we'd definitely be more successful if we followed Spurs lead.

Power n Glory
22-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Why shouldn't we slam Wenger. We are having to buy a second choice keeper who is past his best from our rivals due to whom? - Whilst teams around us inc the f-----g spuds are buying the likes of Lloris & De Gea, our recent keepers have been Ches, Flapianski & Ospina. Why, because they were £10 mill cheaper than buying proper quality in the 1st place. Now, we are paying that £10 mill for a keeper past his best & one that will be worth f--k all in a few years time.
If we are that useless at finding quality young keepers, the Spuds are lining up Gerrin from Genoa ( if they lose Lloris ) who is very highly rated - most of our scouts have defected to Spurs over the past few years ( because of pay & Wengers running of the academy ) & we don't seem to have replaced them, so lets nick their ideas for a change & buy for the future.

Spurs signed Llloris in 2012. De Gea signed for Utd in 2011. Why even bring that up? It's 2015 and Utd spent almost £20m on De Gea whose only showing his true class in the last couple seasons. He wasn't ready when he first signed for them and we haven't got time to spend big money on a future keeper. We want the league title for next season, not 4/5 years down the line. Would you prefer us to spend £20m on a keeper that might or might turn out to be top quality in a few years?

I don't get the criticism on this one. I really don't.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 02:24 PM

Neither do I.

Courtois has 10 years less on Cech and is equally as good, that's why Cech was replaced. Not because his ability was in question.

It took United years to find a quality keeper after Schmichael. VDS signed for them at 34 and he's easily one of Fergies greatest signings.

AFC Leveller
22-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Neither do I.

Courtois has 10 years less on Cech and is equally as good, that's why Cech was replaced. Not because his ability was in question.

It took United years to find a quality keeper after Schmichael. VDS signed for them at 34 and he's easily one of Fergies greatest signings.

Im with you on this MO. Cech is by far the best GK we can sign, he is solid, experienced, still young for a GK and a proven winner, ticks all the boxes IMO and anyone who can criticise this move is being silly. Good GKs in Europe tend to struggle with the pace, crossses and long balls of this league and we have needed a solid PL ready GK for some time now. Cech is ready, he can hit the ground running and give us that key stability we have lacked.

no complaints from me anyway.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 02:53 PM
1) @ Zim - You keep saying "Chelsea Reject" without appreciating the context of the situation. That being the difficulty in rotating between two top goalkeepers to keep them happy or the fact that Mourinho patently doesn't want to sell him to us. This isn't a Silvestre situation we're dealing with here where we actually bought a rival's reject.

2) @ Zim - Courtois has been impressive but so has Chesney at times in his career. Frankly his season wasn't anything more special than what Chesney produced for us last year. He's a step below the De Gea/Neuer level of Goalkeeping presence right now.

3) @ Zim - GK's can play up till they're almost 40. We've got plenty of years left with Cech and hopefully by the time he does fade, one of Chesney or Martinez would have developed enough to surpass him.

4) @Dein Machine - The last thing we need is to bring in a talented but raw and unproven keeper like Gerrin just when the squad is ready and at the right age to challenge for the league. Besides, I thought everyone was sick and tired of project Youth anyway and wanted the final product.

5) @Dein Machine - You act like De Gea was amazing to begin with when Ferguson brought him in. He was dodgy as hell for two years and probably even cost them a league title the year when City won it on GD before exploding into the GK he is today.

6) @ Dein Machine - Cech is better than Lloris btw.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 02:59 PM
The only concern is whether he's actually an agent sent by Mourinho. :ninja:

AFC Leveller
22-06-2015, 03:15 PM
The only concern is whether he's actually an agent sent by Mourinho. :ninja:

Wel there is talk of Abramovich giving him a bonus for his services to Chelski......

Dein-machine
22-06-2015, 03:30 PM
1) @ Zim - You keep saying "Chelsea Reject" without appreciating the context of the situation. That being the difficulty in rotating between two top goalkeepers to keep them happy or the fact that Mourinho patently doesn't want to sell him to us. This isn't a Silvestre situation we're dealing with here where we actually bought a rival's reject.

2) @ Zim - Courtois has been impressive but so has Chesney at times in his career. Frankly his season wasn't anything more special than what Chesney produced for us last year. He's a step below the De Gea/Neuer level of Goalkeeping presence right now.

3) @ Zim - GK's can play up till they're almost 40. We've got plenty of years left with Cech and hopefully by the time he does fade, one of Chesney or Martinez would have developed enough to surpass him.

4) @Dein Machine - The last thing we need is to bring in a talented but raw and unproven keeper like Gerrin just when the squad is ready and at the right age to challenge for the league. Besides, I thought everyone was sick and tired of project Youth anyway and wanted the final product.

5) @Dein Machine - You act like De Gea was amazing to begin with when Ferguson brought him in. He was dodgy as hell for two years and probably even cost them a league title the year when City won it on GD before exploding into the GK he is today.

6) @ Dein Machine - Cech is better than Lloris btw.

4) Why is it that a mid 30's keeper, who was very good as few years ago, is thought to be a better bet than a 22 year old now good enough to play for Italy. If we had this year over again knowing what we know - who would you start with as DM, Arteta or Coquelin?

5) Yes De Gea had a dodgy start but it doesn't mean anything. Di Maria has had a dodgy start for Utd but Sanchez has been superb for us. Lloris started well for the Spuds, you can't NOT buy quality youngsters incase they don't start very well - you would only ever buy older experienced pro's in that case.

6) That is your opinion - not mine. Can't possibly have the reflexes he had a decade ago & his head injury has affected his decision making.

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 03:36 PM
His head injury was 9 years ago. If his decision making since then was that bad Chelsea would have replaced him ages ago.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Daily Mail says it's done!!!!!!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3134744/Petr-Cech-signs-Arsenal-Chelsea-goalkeeper-leaves-Stamford-Bridge.html

11 million.

@Dein Machine - Will reply to them later

Marc Overmars
22-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Daily Mail. :lol:

I'll wait for Arsenal.com thanks.

A Gunner
22-06-2015, 03:44 PM
If the Cech deal goes through, I bet Curtois suddenly get injured for a long time.

Power n Glory
22-06-2015, 03:46 PM
4) Why is it that a mid 30's keeper, who was very good as few years ago, is thought to be a better bet than a 22 year old now good enough to play for Italy. If we had this year over again knowing what we know - who would you start with as DM, Arteta or Coquelin?

5) Yes De Gea had a dodgy start but it doesn't mean anything. Di Maria has had a dodgy start for Utd but Sanchez has been superb for us. Lloris started well for the Spuds, you can't NOT buy quality youngsters incase they don't start very well - you would only ever buy older experienced pro's in that case.

6) That is your opinion - not mine. Can't possibly have the reflexes he had a decade ago & his head injury has affected his decision making.

Forget all that. You'd be happy with Wenger signing a 22 year old keeper for £18m and having to wait a couple of seasons for that player to develop?

GP
22-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Just ordered my replica hat.

Munchies
22-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Great signing

Read that he's younger than Lehman when he joined us.

Number 1 sorted :coffee:

Bumble
22-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Keepers can keep playing much older than outfield players. if we signed buffon who I think is 37, I would still think that is a good signing.

not ever player has to be an investment to the future. a player for the next few years is fine for me.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 05:35 PM
True Moe :lol:

Though I think there's smoke here, plus I don't think even the Daily Mail, who despite being an xenophobic rag who employ muppets like Adrian Durham, wouldn't be so categorical in their article unless they've seen or been informed of something by someone in the know.

1) Perrin only has one cap for Italy! :lol:

Sure he's talented and I've heard a lot of good things about him but he's way far from established yet.

Besides, we've already got two talented young keepers at the club who have a lot of potential. We don't need another one.

2) It's means a lot as it reinforces the generally held belief that it takes time for younger players to develop and fulfill their potential, something we can't really afford to do in a critical position like keeper if we want to mount a serious offensive for the league next year.

And no it doesn't imply the last bit. You can buy talented youngsters, but you usually play them alongside experienced pro's - you don't throw them in the deep end by playing them weekly unless you really have no choice or unless they impress consistently (see Bellerin).

3) I'd speculate it's opinion of a majority on here and of general football fans who don't support Spurs.

Shaqiri Is Boss
22-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Cech did go quite dodgy for a while a few years back, but seems to have got over that somewhat.

In any case, even if he wasn't as good as he still is, he'd still be your best keeper for like the last decade.

GP
22-06-2015, 05:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIHikjQWcAA1H1f.jpg

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2015, 05:56 PM
He is not world class anymore but as mentioned he is the best keeper we could realistically hope to sign and that will probably be the case for a while in truth. Chelsea fans don't seem to be treating it as him being a 'reject' incidentally.

GP
22-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Ornstein has spoken!

No deal yet.

Shaqiri Is Boss
22-06-2015, 05:59 PM
He is not world class anymore but as mentioned he is the best keeper we could realistically hope to sign and that will probably be the case for a while in truth. Chelsea fans don't seem to be treating it as him being a 'reject' incidentally.

Well, now we've signed Bogdan anyway :cool:

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Daily Mail :lol:

People who believed the Daily Mail :getcoat:

Penguin
22-06-2015, 06:44 PM
I actually prefer someone like Lloris too. On one hand, Cech's more of a calming influence, a better organiser and a better shot stopper (although I rate Lloris as a stopper too). And he'll be fired up for beating Chelsea and proving Mourinho wrong for dropping him for Courtois. But he's nowhere near as good as he used to be and I think Lloris suits us more.

He makes more mistakes but that's partly because he plays more aggressively, and has to because his defence plays 10 yards further forward than some other keepers are used to. He's great at one on ones and anticipates when someone is going to get put through on goal very early. We need a keeper like that with our high line system. He also regularly gets exposed by the terrible defence in front of him, unlike Cech.

There's no chance of Spurs selling him to us, but a keeper of a similar type and calibre would be perfect. I won't be complaining if we sign Cech though :lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
22-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Nicely done if it comes off....

And Kondogbia to Inter!?? :wacko:

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, now we've signed Bogdan anyway :cool:

He's the best ginger in footballing history.

selassie
22-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Spurs signed Llloris in 2012. De Gea signed for Utd in 2011. Why even bring that up? It's 2015 and Utd spent almost £20m on De Gea whose only showing his true class in the last couple seasons. He wasn't ready when he first signed for them and we haven't got time to spend big money on a future keeper. We want the league title for next season, not 4/5 years down the line. Would you prefer us to spend £20m on a keeper that might or might turn out to be top quality in a few years?

Totally agree, the criticism is bizarre IMO. Cech is the best keeper available on the market PERIOD. We are not going to spend 20+ mill on a development job like Leno and quite frankly I don't trust us to develop any highly rated keeper to a high level. Our goalkeeping coaches are the laughing stock of PL, Cech is bringing his own one because he doesn't trust the chumps we currently have training our keepers! Assuming this deal eventually goes through its a massive signing IMO, he will be as important to the team as the likes of Sanchez & Ozil.

GP
22-06-2015, 07:32 PM
David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 1m1 minute ago
Arsenal now close to agreement with Chelsea for Cech. Nothing finalised/signed but talks progressing towards deal being completed #AFC #CFC

McNamara That Ghost...
22-06-2015, 07:48 PM
He's on his way!

AFC Leveller
22-06-2015, 08:04 PM
He's on his way!

We have obviously ceched him out properly so I don't think he is past it as some suggest, far from it.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
22-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I don't think he will be worth anything like an extra 15 points like some suggest but he is still a top keeper and a safe pair of hands imo.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 08:24 PM
We have obviously ceched him out properly so I don't think he is past it as some suggest, far from it.

The Cech is in the mail but it hasn't been signed yet. :coffee:

I don't think he will be worth anything like an extra 15 points like some suggest but he is still a top keeper and a safe pair of hands imo.

15 points seems a bit much but I can easily see us gaining around 7 - 10 points more from converting a few losses into draws and draws into wins.

alexander
22-06-2015, 08:24 PM
If it happens, Im pleased with this. He is good, and can only help to improve our team, both by pushing the two we have already, and passing on knowledge.

Good signing imo.

Penguin
22-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Fair play to Wenger if he does sign him. Two or three years ago he would have never have risked upsetting players like Ospina and Chesney.

The Emirates Gallactico
22-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Heck I'm not sure he would have done this a year ago.

I think he really wants the league title next year regardless of what cost. Bodes well for us.

Wenger and Gazidis :bow:

fakeyank
22-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Gazidis :bow:

:gp:
America!! :bow:

Munchies
22-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Kondogbia joining Inter, would've been a great signing

Still need a CM/CDM and a striker

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-06-2015, 07:01 AM
The deal is not exactly costing the earth.....and he could be here 5 years, so it's a good deal.

Does anyone think there's any truth to Carvalho?

Marc Overmars
23-06-2015, 08:02 AM
http://forums.cfcnet.co.uk/topic/531-petr-cech/page-174

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 09:03 AM
I actually prefer someone like Lloris too. On one hand, Cech's more of a calming influence, a better organiser and a better shot stopper (although I rate Lloris as a stopper too). And he'll be fired up for beating Chelsea and proving Mourinho wrong for dropping him for Courtois. But he's nowhere near as good as he used to be and I think Lloris suits us more.

He makes more mistakes but that's partly because he plays more aggressively, and has to because his defence plays 10 yards further forward than some other keepers are used to. He's great at one on ones and anticipates when someone is going to get put through on goal very early. We need a keeper like that with our high line system. He also regularly gets exposed by the terrible defence in front of him, unlike Cech.

There's no chance of Spurs selling him to us, but a keeper of a similar type and calibre would be perfect. I won't be complaining if we sign Cech though :lol:

Agreed - the issue with the likes of Lloris making more mistakes than Cech is because he normally has far more to do in a game than a Chelsea keeper. Other keepers in the league deal with 5 times the crosses a Chelsea keeper deals with & 5 times the shots on goal due to the way they defend as a team. If you stuck Chesney in goal at Chelsea he wouldn't make as many mistakes as he does for us because he wouldn't have as much to do.

AFC Leveller
23-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Been linked with Obameyang this morning according to Bild.

GP
23-06-2015, 09:24 AM
https://vine.co/v/e5KlWKnUbIq

milla
23-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Been linked with Obameyang this morning according to Bild.

Aubameyang would be nice addition to our CF option, take Reus as well. :gp:

Özim
23-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Heard something about 11 million, seems a lot for a 33 year old to me, especially one with just a year left and wanting to go, we should get him for next to nothing. If this amount is true, are negotiation team are amateurs.

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Heard something about 11 million, seems a lot for a 33 year old to me, especially one with just a year left and wanting to go, we should get him for next to nothing. If this amount is true, are negotiation team are amateurs.

33 is young for a goalkeeper. Also, we managed to sell RVP for £25m with a year left on his contract. Hate the way we do business sometimes but this isn't an example of bad business. Surpised Chelsea are even talking to us.

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2015, 10:53 AM

Signing a chav wouldn't have been my first choice. However, Cech is one of the best keepers in the PL, he has vast experience and he's potentially got 5-7 years left at the top. It's an inter-PL transfer among two top clubs. I'm surprised it's as low as £11mill. I suppose it's this low because the chavs are uncharacteristically showing a bit of class towards Cach in return for his outstanding service to the club. An apparently we've been chasing Cech for nearly 3 years, the team has finally got their man. On this occasion they have been persistent and it could be said they have pulled off a bit of a coup. £11mill between British clubs for a top pro? A snip.

Marc Overmars
23-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Seems like Abramovich was the one to grant Cech a move as a gesture of goodwill.

Always rated him tbf.

Letters
23-06-2015, 11:00 AM

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Our negotiation team = Wenger. How dare you call him an amateur in transfer negotiations. He's currently sunning himself on the French Riviera & will pop back into Colney around mid July to see who hasn't already been bought yet from his wishlist. Then he'll try to buy whats left for £10 mill less than their worth or be very clever by adding £1 to their release clause (as it can't possibly offend the selling club), miss the chance to get the new players into pre-season training to gel with the squad, take a lot of stick from journo's & Arsenal fans until he pays over the odds for a crowd pleaser on the last day of the transfer window. There is absolutely nothing amateurish about the way Wenger handles transfers.

GP
23-06-2015, 12:04 PM
This is the laziest WUMing since Cripps died.

The Emirates Gallactico
23-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Clickbait extordinaire, Adrian Durham taking credit for making Wenger change his ways in signing Cech. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3135591/Arsene-Wenger-finally-listening-let-s-Arsenal-belong.html

In an era of the petroclubs inflating transfer fees and the likes of Raheem Sterling having a 50 million pound fee slapped to his forehead, you're having a go at our negotiating team for getting a top five goalkeeper in the world for only 11 million from a rival club whose manager absolutely detests us and our manager (because of his inferiority complex). Not to mention we've potentially signed him ahead of giant clubs like Man Utd and PSG were according to reports were interested as well. Laughable Zim. :lol:

It's a fantastic bit of business really.

Letters
23-06-2015, 12:15 PM
This is the laziest WUMing since Cripps died.

Innit.

Even the WUMs are rubbish on here.

GW :pal:

:(

Özim
23-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Signing a chav wouldn't have been my first choice. However, Cech is one of the best keepers in the PL, he has vast experience and he's potentially got 5-7 years left at the top. It's an inter-PL transfer among two top clubs. I'm surprised it's as low as £11mill. I suppose it's this low because the chavs are uncharacteristically showing a bit of class towards Cach in return for his outstanding service to the club. An apparently we've been chasing Cech for nearly 3 years, the team has finally got their man. On this occasion they have been persistent and it could be said they have pulled off a bit of a coup. £11mill between British clubs for a top pro? A snip.

I think by the time keepers get to the age of 37 their reflexes are slower and they are more prone to errors, I think we have him for 4 years at best and then he'll start to go downhill.

Özim
23-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Clickbait extordinaire, Adrian Durham taking credit for making Wenger change his ways in signing Cech. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3135591/Arsene-Wenger-finally-listening-let-s-Arsenal-belong.html

In an era of the petroclubs inflating transfer fees and the likes of Raheem Sterling having a 50 million pound fee slapped to his forehead, you're having a go at our negotiating team for getting a top five goalkeeper in the world for only 11 million from a rival club whose manager absolutely detests us and our manager (because of his inferiority complex). Not to mention we've potentially signed him ahead of giant clubs like Man Utd and PSG were according to reports were interested as well. Laughable Zim. :lol:

It's a fantastic bit of business really.

11 million for a 33 year old isn't fantastic business in my book as for being a top 5 keeper, highly debateable, he's very good but not World Class anymore, before his head injury he was unbelievable but in recent times he's looked positively human. It's true he's a lot better than what we've had or have, but that's not hard as we've had to put up with dogshite keepers for years since David Seaman retired.

He's a good keeper, but hardly the future and thats my point, sure keepers can play on into their late 30's but they are nowhere near as good when they get there, Buffon for example looks a shadow of the keeper he was and is prone to some real clangers.

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2015, 12:35 PM

I saw that but couldn't bear to post it up. That's shit even by his rock bottom standards. If you asked Wenger who Adrian Durham is he'd probably say, "LOOK! I don't know who this little bit cunt is!"

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2015, 12:41 PM
I think by the time keepers get to the age of 37 their reflexes are slower and they are more prone to errors, I think we have him for 4 years at best and then he'll start to go downhill.

4 years with a stable presence at the back, Kos ahead of him and hopefully a more settled defence in general isn't a bad prospect. 4 years for Ches to get a clue in the care of a steadying influence can't hurt either. The whole "Arsenal spine" thing is vastly overplayed but in terms of adding quality to a critical position this is a good signing. Kos is more than good enough. I think Coquelin is actually underrated because he doesn't have the big media name.

Striker please! If we add some top quality up front then coupled with the undoubted quality we've just added to the back you have to call that a good transfer window. All comes down to this striker. If we are serious then our activities over the next few weeks will be the demonstration.

Globalgunner
23-06-2015, 12:47 PM
4 years with a stable presence at the back, Kos ahead of him and hopefully a more settled defence in general isn't a bad prospect. 4 years for Ches to get a clue in the care of a steadying influence can't hurt either. The whole "Arsenal spine" thing is vastly overplayed but in terms of adding quality to a critical position this is a good signing. Kos is more than good enough. I think Sanogo is actually underrated because he doesn't have the big media name.

Striker please! If we add some top quality up front then coupled with the undoubted quality we've just added to the back you have to call that a good transfer window. All comes down to this striker. If we are serious then our activities over the next few weeks will be the demonstration.

You sound positively Wengerish nowadays NQ

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 01:07 PM
11 million for a 33 year old isn't fantastic business in my book as for being a top 5 keeper, highly debateable, he's very good but not World Class anymore, before his head injury he was unbelievable but in recent times he's looked positively human. It's true he's a lot better than what we've had or have, but that's not hard as we've had to put up with dogshite keepers for years since David Seaman retired.

He's a good keeper, but hardly the future and thats my point, sure keepers can play on into their late 30's but they are nowhere near as good when they get there, Buffon for example looks a shadow of the keeper he was and is prone to some real clangers.

But why are you looking at the future? Why look so far ahead when we needed results yesterday? The biggest gripe we've had with Wenger is the over investment in youth. I don't see how this is a bad investment when it's an immediate improvement to the first team, a reputable, experienced...Prem experienced keeper with titles under his belt. How is this a bad move for us?

Top quality young keepers are rare to find. For years Casillas was the only top quality keeper holding down a first team spot in his early 20s. What we're seeing now with De Gea and Courtois is rare. You never usually find keepers that good so young or for sale. We've tried the young keeper route and it hasn't worked out for us. We can't develop them. We've tried with Chesney, Fabianski...heck we tried signing Richard Wright for big money at the time and it hasn't worked.

What's the sensible solution here? Who should we buy instead and how much money should we put up for them?

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Innit.

Even the WUMs are rubbish on here.

GW :pal:

:(

Lehman = £1.5 mill, Alminua £Undisclosed, Sir Ches £minimal bought as youth team player, Fabianski £2.1 mill, Ospina = £3 mill.

Now finally Wenger realises he may have to spend £10 mill to find a 33 year old who can catch properly.

City & Chelsea bought Hart & Courtois as youth players & would now make a fortune if sold. Utd £19 mill for Ge Dea, Spuds £8 mill for Lloris & Liverpool £9 mill for Mignolet - all finally showing their quality & if sold would fetch far more.

Who's wumming?

Xhaka Can’t
23-06-2015, 01:10 PM
In which case, if the rumoured fee is true, we got a very good deal.

Also, I don't get this 'signing a number 2' criticism at all. It's a bit like saying that Roger Federer is now shit because he's the second ranked tennis player in Switzerland.

In which case, if the rumoured fee is true, we got a very good deal.

Also, I don't get this 'signing a number 2' criticism at all. It's a bit like saying that

Niall_Quinn
23-06-2015, 01:11 PM

I don't think you need to be 100% pro or 100% anti, there are 99 other percentage points to play with depending on the circumstances.

Signing a top keeper can't be a bad thing no matter who is managing the club. Signing a top striker would be another benefit regardless of the manager. Neither can hurt. Ozil, Alexis, Cech plus a £50mill striker? Beats the hell out of selling all our players to the gypos. This is what the fans have been asking for so when the club delivers why should they be criticised?

As to how Wenger will deploy these assets over another season, well that's another topic.

When they fuck up then criticism is valid. When they get something right then praise is valid.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 01:12 PM

I agree - Letters must have had words

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Lehman = £1.5 mill, Alminua £Undisclosed, Sir Ches £minimal bought as youth team player, Fabianski £2.1 mill, Ospina = £3 mill.

Now finally Wenger realises he may have to spend £10 mill to find a 33 year old who can catch properly.

City & Chelsea bought Hart & Courtois as youth players & would now make a fortune if sold. Utd £19 mill for Ge Dea, Spuds £8 mill for Lloris & Liverpool £9 mill for Mignolet - all finally showing their quality & if sold would fetch far more.

Who's wumming?

So you want us to sign a young player to eventually sell him? Isn't that another problem we have with Wenger? What point are you trying to make?

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't think you need to be 100% pro or 100% anti, there are 99 other percentage points to play with depending on the circumstances.

Signing a top keeper can't be a bad thing no matter who is managing the club. Signing a top striker would be another benefit regardless of the manager. Neither can hurt. Ozil, Alexis, Cech plus a £50mill striker? Beats the hell out of selling all our players to the gypos. This is what the fans have been asking for so when the club delivers why should they be criticised?

As to how Wenger will deploy these assets over another season, well that's another topic.

When they fuck up then criticism is valid. When they get something right then praise is valid.

Exactly.

Letters
23-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Who's wumming?
You and Zim, as usual.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 01:29 PM
So you want us to sign a young player to eventually sell him? Isn't that another problem we have with Wenger? What point are you trying to make?

My point is our transfer policy. All our main competitors have either invested in youth & you can do that when you already have a quality No 1 or gone & spent the money required on quality keepers that can improve - can you not see the chaos caused with Wengers penny pinching.
We are going back to 2003 with the Lehman signing. 12 years of cheap, shit keepers.
Cech is better than what we have, no argument but isn't that a little worrying to be saying that about a team supposedly trying to become Europe's best when he's no longer 1st choice at one of our rivals & is 33 years of age - 12 years on from signing Lehman.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 01:31 PM
You and Zim, as usual.

Oh bollocks, never thought I'd make the Zim squad

Japan Shaking All Over
23-06-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm on board with this signing......I am not a Sir Ches hater but Cech is going to offer a more stable, calming air about the defence. Sure he is not going to be around for decades to come but the likes of Courtois do not grow on trees and I think our defence will benefit from having a goalie that instills confidence to those in front if him as well as be half decent between the sticks. We now need to get a quality DM to sit in front of the back four to cement the wall. Coq has been great and should not be going anywhere but we could do with that extra bit of quality to either be the starter or add to the competition

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 01:39 PM
My point is our transfer policy. All our main competitors have either invested in youth & you can do that when you already have a quality No 1 or gone & spent the money required on quality keepers that can improve - can you not see the chaos caused with Wengers penny pinching.
We are going back to 2003 with the Lehman signing. 12 years of cheap, shit keepers.
Cech is better than what we have, no argument but isn't that a little worrying to be saying that about a team supposedly trying to become Europe's best when he's no longer 1st choice at one of our rivals & is 33 years of age - 12 years on from signing Lehman.

So we continue on with Chesney or try and sign a young inexperienced keeper for £20m?

Why do we need to invest in youth when we did that 5 odd years ago? We've got Ox, Wilshere, Ramsey, Gibbs, Theo...we've been the promotional poster for investing in youth since the Emirates move. That's been the main problem with our transfer policy. No balance and having to wait years for players to come of age.

It's our first signing of the season. Relax a little. You could argue Sanchez was a Barca reject but look how he turned out. The argument here is thin. Wenger has some serious problems with his management style but I'm not going to pick holes in everything he does just for the sake of it. Contradicts everything I've said about our transfer policy a few years ago and the problem with over investing in youth. We're on a different page with this one.

fakeyank
23-06-2015, 01:49 PM
What is the grief over us signing Cech? I am not sure I understand really! He is one of the most solid keepers in the last 7-8 years in the league. We are getting him at 33 and that gives us a good 4-5 years with him. I dont rate Wumger much, but there is no criticism here! Great bit of business early on in the season! :good:

Globalgunner
23-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Its all good with Cech, We cannot keep rehashing the mistakes of years gone by but only deal with the here and now as it is. Cech is as good as it gets out there right now. We should put this one to bed and move on to the next target, A DM and a quality forward, and shipping out the surplus to requirements that still litter the squad.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 02:25 PM
What is the grief over us signing Cech? I am not sure I understand really! He is one of the most solid keepers in the last 7-8 years in the league. We are getting him at 33 and that gives us a good 4-5 years with him. I dont rate Wumger much, but there is no criticism here! Great bit of business early on in the season! :good:

Its not done yet - knowing us this could ramble on till August. We're probably stalling on paying his £4000 moving costs.

Letters
23-06-2015, 02:26 PM

And therein lies the difference between a Wengerophobe and a WUM.
Some people have such advanced Zim's disease they just refuse to see the good in anything we do any more. It's so tiresome.
Sign him and it'll be the first time we've had a really top class 'keeper since Seamen (my jury was always out on Lehmann, he could be brilliant but wasn't consistent)
Yes, he's getting on but 'keepers can perform well into their 30s, we could get 4 or 5 good years out of him.
Whatever you think about Wenger, what's not to like about this?

GP
23-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Some people have such advanced Zim's disease they just refuse to see the good in anything we do any more. It's so tiresome.
Sign him and it'll be the first time we've had a really top class 'keeper since Seamen (my jury was always out on Lehmann, he could be brilliant but wasn't consistent)
Yes, he's getting on but 'keepers can perform well into their 30s, we could get 4 or 5 good years out of him.

I think it's the faulty notion that he's a Chelsea 'reject', despite them begging him to stay,

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 02:32 PM

"Sign him & it'll be the first time we've had a really top class keeper since Seaman" - why? - us suffering from ZIm's disease are not happy to be paying £8 mil a year to a guy who's job it is to make sure this doesn't happen.

Letters
23-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I think it's reasonable to grumble about how long it's been since we've had a top 'keeper.
It's a bit weird to focus on that rather than actual signing of one if and when it happens though, smacks of desperation to still find things to have a go at Wenger for.

Özim
23-06-2015, 02:51 PM
You and Zim, as usual.

Funny you say that, because I've observed you've been called up quite a few times for wumming yourself, pot calling the kettle black methinks.

I'm not wumming just giving my opinion, that's the thing, he's a lot better than what we have and that's a good thing, just think that he's not really the keeper he once was.

Letters
23-06-2015, 03:11 PM
Funny you say that, because I've observed you've been called up quite a few times for wumming yourself.
I have. Always by WUMs though so not really to be taken seriously.

he's a lot better than what we have and that's a good thing, just think that he's not really the keeper he once was.
Well, expressed that way it's a fairly reasonable opinion, but, as always, you've mostly focussed on the negative

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I think it's reasonable to grumble about how long it's been since we've had a top 'keeper.
It's a bit weird to focus on that rather than actual signing of one if and when it happens though, smacks of desperation to still find things to have a go at Wenger for.

Come on Letters - its not just the keeper situation. How long is it since we had a decent DM, maybe Gilberto was the last one. We lost Van Persie & have gone on to buy Chamakh, Giroud, Sonogo & Welbeck.
The obvious issues in our squad are not addressed in the transfer market, its the same every year & then we wonder why we can't compete for league titles & C.L's.
If we go on to sign a Schneiderlein or a Carvalho & then a proper striker, then I would suggest he is finally woken up but how long does he want to sort out obvious stuff that even you as a Wenger fan must have known needed sorting out years ago.

selassie
23-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Signing Cech is worth it reading this thread alone! http://www.theshedend.com/topic/28103-petr-cech-to-arsenal/page-33

Those Chelski boys aren't happy...:haha:

Syn
23-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Gazidis interview with the (usually hugely embarrassing) Arsenal Fan TV was quite revealing. Absolutely amazes me how many clueless fuckwits think they know better than Arsene fucking Wenger. Stick to your fucking beancounting VAT receipts. As if Wenger hasn't realised every 'insightful' comment you think you've made...

"But syn he's paid £8m a year...", you find a fucking idiot willing to pay you £8m a year and get back to me. Until then, shut the fuck up.

Munchies
23-06-2015, 03:48 PM

:gp:

Cech is joining us at a younger age than Lehmann and Van Der Sar to United.

Syn
23-06-2015, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=selassie;464238]Signing Cech is worth it reading this thread alone! http://www.theshedend.com/topic/28103-petr-cech-to-arsenal/page-33

Those Chelski boys aren't happy...:haha:[/QUOTE

Good. It's like pissing off ISIS as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who identifies with that filth is absolute scum of the earth. I won't even accept Cech until he wins us a title. He's a Chelsea cunt. You can pretend to be outraged at Tottenham but realistically Chelsea is the only real evil, and anyone with a brain knows it.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=selassie;464238]Signing Cech is worth it reading this thread alone! http://www.theshedend.com/topic/28103-petr-cech-to-arsenal/page-33

Those Chelski boys aren't happy...:haha:[/QUOTE

Good. It's like pissing off ISIS as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who identifies with that filth is absolute scum of the earth. I won't even accept Cech until he wins us a title. He's a Chelsea cunt. You can pretend to be outraged at Tottenham but realistically Chelsea is the only real evil, and anyone with a brain knows it.

Wengers paid £8 mill a year to deliver Champions League football - no pressure to do anything else. With this is mind, you will never have to accept Cech.

Syn
23-06-2015, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=Syn;464241]

Wengers paid £8 mill a year to deliver Champions League football - no pressure to do anything else. With this is mind, you will never have to accept Cech.

no pressure but he's won two trophies in the last two seasons anyway. With the way Man Utd and Liverpool were scrambling for 'the prize', it's not just an arsenal-set constraint. Either you understand that, or you're an idiot.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Dein-machine;464242]

no pressure but he's won two trophies in the last two seasons anyway. With the way Man Utd and Liverpool were scrambling for 'the prize', it's not just an arsenal-set constraint. Either you understand that, or you're an idiot.

Liverpool & Man Utd have won more trophies than us in the past decade including the big ones. This is the problem with us winning the FA cup whilst not competing for the trophies that Wenger should be trying to win on his salary - its gives fuckwits the chance to say "but he's won two trophies"

Master Splinter
23-06-2015, 04:22 PM
How much does Wenger earn?

The scrawny paedo child catcher blind frog munching did not zee it rapper fucking cunt deserves no more than 50 pounds for delivering fourth place trophy imo.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Whilst I agree that Cech is better than what we have - I have to question why that is with a manager who's been in charge for so long. Would also like to hear views on the fact that according to a few Chelsea boys I know, the only issues for them in their starting line up is 2 out of the 3 places in attacking midfield behind Costa. They are not too sure on Oscar in the centre with Willian on the right, they haven't seen enough of Cuadado yet - they see these as areas to improve 1st 11.
Personally, for us, & without Cech yet - the only defender that I think is proven quality is Kos, jury still out on Coq because I do wonder if he looks good to us as a DM because of the shit we had before, happy with Santi, Ozil & Sanchez. If Rambo can get back to his 2013 form then he's in but that would only make 5 out of our starting 11 that I would think would be difficult for us to buy to improve on.

Kano
23-06-2015, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=Syn;464243]

Liverpool & Man Utd have won more trophies than us in the past decade including the big ones. This is the problem with us winning the FA cup whilst not competing for the trophies that Wenger should be trying to win on his salary - its gives fuckwits the chance to say "but he's won two trophies"

What has his salary got to do with anything? Money in the game went disproportionality out the window years ago, so is £1m for managing a football team more acceptable? Half a mill? For managing a football team remember. I'm amazed to know what you think is the right amount. There are only a handful of jobs where there is a tangible idea of what that role is worth. And this isn't about who loves Wenger and who doesn't, it's about trying to make sense or your argument.

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Dein's argument is all over the place at the moment. Not sure how someone can argue for more investment in youth considering what we have seen during the Emirate/Cesc era. We've invested time and money developing Chesney and Flappy so I'm not sure why there is a problem with us going the other way considering the past failings of project youth. I'd be pissed with Wenger if he decided to spend £20m on another vanity youth project youth player that's far from ready for the first team.

We need to build a squad that is ready now. Santi, Kos, Merts and a few others are getting on a bit. We need to really go for the title now before we have to go through another period of transition.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Dein-machine;464244]

What has his salary got to do with anything? Money in the game went disproportionality out the window years ago, so is £1m for managing a football team more acceptable? Half a mill? For managing a football team remember. I'm amazed to know what you think is the right amount. There are only a handful of jobs where there is a tangible idea of what that role is worth. And this isn't about who loves Wenger and who doesn't, it's about trying to make sense or your argument.

There are only a handful of jobs where you can double your salary whilst delivery worse results. Depends on whether you think Wenger should be paid for his contribtution to Arsenal PLC or his success on the pitch. If its the former he's worth every penny but when you have fans paying the most money for season tickets in Europe, in a stadium built with the promise of ruling Europe & then can't even compete to win your own league - I think his salary then becomes important to certain people. On the football pitch he is being rewarded for failure to deliver his promise - its not the amount, couldn't give a shit whether Wenger gets it or Silent Stan but through woefull transfer dealings & consistent tactical blunders he seems free to earn money that should be awarded to people achieving their goal. The people paying for season tickets want to see what we were promised, the shareholders are happy to pay him because he is achieving their goal.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Dein's argument is all over the place at the moment. Not sure how someone can argue for more investment in youth considering what we have seen during the Emirate/Cesc era. We've invested time and money developing Chesney and Flappy so I'm not sure why there is a problem with us going the other way considering the past failings of project youth. I'd be pissed with Wenger if he decided to spend £20m on another vanity youth project youth player that's far from ready for the first team.

We need to build a squad that is ready now. Santi, Kos, Merts and a few others are getting on a bit. We need to really go for the title now before we have to go through another period of transition.

My argument is quite consistent - Lloris & De Gea were bought for decent money because they had to be No 1's straight away. We have bought £2 mill goalkeepers for 15 years now - Ospina to be our No 1. And then we wonder why they not actually that good. For 15 years we have had a shit keeper & our only answer is to buy a the reserve keeper in his mid 30's. Doesn't matter if you still think Cech is good. I have agreed that he is better than what we have but that in itself is testament to another Wenger fuck up. My issue is, if we are to compete with Chelsea & the Chelsea staff think Courtois is now better than Cech, don't we need a Courtois. I mentioned Perrin at Genoa, just because his 22 & none of us have really seen him, does that mean Cech is better than him - how do we know this. If you take the Cech situation to every position on the pitch & we have good experinced players but not quite as good as those at Chelsea - will we catch them?

Globalgunner
23-06-2015, 05:57 PM
What he earns is relevant because in all of world football I guess only Mourinho earns more as a manager. His salary has gone up while our fortunes on the pitch have flatlined.

However, we should not digress. This topic is about transfers and I believe Cech is the best we could have got, better than what we have and who cares if he was 2nd fiddle at Chelsea. They dont want him to go and he wants to come to us. I just wish we could close this deal and move on to the next target. Wenger will not be earning his pay if he tries to make Cech out to be this seasons Sanchez.

Power n Glory
23-06-2015, 06:01 PM
You'd trust Wenger to spend £20m on a goalkeeper that's still developing?

Kano
23-06-2015, 06:40 PM
P
[QUOTE=Kano;464247]

There are only a handful of jobs where you can double your salary whilst delivery worse results. Depends on whether you think Wenger should be paid for his contribtution to Arsenal PLC or his success on the pitch. If its the former he's worth every penny but when you have fans paying the most money for season tickets in Europe, in a stadium built with the promise of ruling Europe & then can't even compete to win your own league - I think his salary then becomes important to certain people. On the football pitch he is being rewarded for failure to deliver his promise - its not the amount, couldn't give a shit whether Wenger gets it or Silent Stan but through woefull transfer dealings & consistent tactical blunders he seems free to earn money that should be awarded to people achieving their goal. The people paying for season tickets want to see what we were promised, the shareholders are happy to pay him because he is achieving their goal.
His salary is arbitrary, it matters not one little bit. It doesn't affect anything to do with his job, or whether or not you or I visit the stadium to pay into the rip-off scheme. The money being taken off the fans paying for other resources are where the real concern should be. But sadly the rules are already set in stone by the . We want nice stadiums and pitches with 'star' players? Then we get this, a souped up, overrated league packed with overpaid pretenders. And that applies to every single football employee in the league. There isn't a single squad member, manager or director that can justify their wage. What matters is the pressure - or lack of it - onto him by the club. That would be the same if he earned double or less than he currently does. If we're going to equate his salary to performance then where do we start with the current status of wages in the game? Do that and we're into a whole other argument. His salary changes nothing in the current scheme of things. It's nothing more than just a factual statement. Fair assessment of salary no longer exists in these neoliberal times.

Dein-machine
23-06-2015, 07:05 PM
You'd trust Wenger to spend £20m on a goalkeeper that's still developing?

Personally don't trust Wenger with anything to do with transfers. Utd paid £19 mill for De Gea who was young & improving. Chelsea would have spent £20+ to get Courtois (if they didn't already own him) again young & improving. If Perrin is valued at £20 mill then it would suggest he's already much better than a Fabianski or an Ospina. Why does every buy have to turn into a bad one. Spuds £8 mill on Lloris looks like great business for a keeper who hit the ground running. £8 for Lloris with his whole career ahead of him or if sold a healthy profit to buy quality again. We are paying more than that for a 33 year old who can only go downhill, hasn't played much in a year & with no re-sale value.