PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Arsenal 2-0 Everton

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Wenger in!

Master Splinter
01-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Good, unfussy win after a poor start.

Giroud should have had a really easy hat-trick, but his overall game was pleasing.

Bellerin 'triffic all afternoon. Should have had a couple of assists.

Coquelin played well again too.

Lovely cameo from Rosicky, who will be punished for scoring, shooting and driving forwards by being sentenced to another stretch on the bench.

Defence had their dodgy moments, but Gabriel improved and Ospina made three telling contributions to keep them out.

Time to hand RPQ their survival revival on Wednesday now.

Marc Overmars
01-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Yay

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Lovely cameo from Rosicky, who will be punished for scoring, shooting and driving forwards by being sentenced to another stretch on the bench.

Wenger caught him putting in tackles too. He's doomed.

Globalgunner
01-03-2015, 04:14 PM
I called this one. "Character, Spiwit, Qualitee, Determination, Togetherness"

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Bellerin impressive. Looks like he's introduced defending to his game.

Shaky start for Gabriel as he was introduced to PL hoofaball. Once he'd recovered from the shock and horror he settled down into a steady performance.

Bit of a worry about Coq - can't afford to lose him.

Downsides were Ox's and Alexis' passing. They put in a ton of effort but wasted so much.

We deserved the win though. Bif could have had (should have had) 3.

Power n Glory
01-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Ospina and Gabriel had some important key moments. Important tackles and saves to snuff out the limited chance Everton created.

We weren't the best on attack. Biff scored but missed some good chances but at least he scored. Sanchez still a bit rusty. Ozil was Ozil. Flashes of quality from Cazorla. Nothing really impressive from Ox. We can do better on attack. Good to see Rosicky coming on and just having a go to score.

Everton out done us with the possession play and got what they deserved. Good possession stats. This is what happens when you coach possession without attacking purpose.

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Their possession stats weren't even all that by the end, 55 to 45 I think.

Özim
01-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Yay

Gooner23
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Martinez reckons Everton deserved to win. I wasn't that impressed with them at all.

Comfortable win and decent enough performance. It's maddening how careless we are on the ball at times. Bif was decent though. The midfield worked hard. Back 4 and keeper were excellent.

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Martinez reckons Everton deserved to win.

There's always one.

crashley
01-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Enjoyed that match for the most part, nice work from the lads & no horrific decisions from the 'tard in black.
I'm very optimistic we can get 2nd now, nice run in - well it has been worse.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Martinez reckons Everton deserved to win. I wasn't that impressed with them at all.

Comfortable win and decent enough performance. It's maddening how careless we are on the ball at times. Bif was decent though. The midfield worked hard. Back 4 and keeper were excellent.

they did ok, they benefitted largely from winning the posession high up the pitch with ponderous passes from us, and they managed to cross the ball in a lot but they didn't actually create much especially in the second half.

Gabriel looked all over the place at first, but settled into the game and made some nice, committed challenges

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-03-2015, 06:06 PM

He is the eternal optimist......with a sprinkling of myopia.

Barkley was poor and Lukaku was well dealt with and I'm glad Giroud didn't drag his incredible performance from the CL into the sphere of the league.

Letters
01-03-2015, 08:57 PM
4 points off the 2nd place trophy :o

I found it a bit of a frustrating performance, we didn't keep the ball well and moved the ball forward far too slowly. There were flashes of quality though, I thought we mostly defended well. Ospina did well to improvise with the flap and tackle after the bad backpass although did make a mess of one later on when he conceded a corner from a shot he should have held. Gabriel made an outstanding tackle in the first half. Overall, a very important 3 points with other results.

LDG
01-03-2015, 09:15 PM
4 points off the 2nd place trophy :o

I found it a bit of a frustrating performance, we didn't keep the ball well and moved the ball forward far too slowly. There were flashes of quality though, I thought we mostly defended well. Ospina did well to improvise with the flap and tackle after the bad backpass although did make a mess of one later on when he conceded a corner from a shot he should have held. Gabriel made an outstanding tackle in the first half. Overall, a very important 3 points with other results.

You said flap and tackle :haha:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Sanchez was pretty poor by his standards.

Injury Time
01-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Thank fuck for that.

selassie
01-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Massive win today, really important. Top 4 is going to be a real battle, I don't like the fact we still have to play United Away & Liverpool at Home but if we have to do it the hard way so be it.

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 10:20 PM
You said flap and tackle :haha:

He said tackle twice which I think is revealing.

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 10:21 PM
He is the eternal optimist......with a sprinkling of myopia.

Barkley was poor and Lukaku was well dealt with and I'm glad Giroud didn't drag his incredible performance from the CL into the sphere of the league.

Giroud did have a touch of the Monacos about him today. Two good opportunities, one of them a sitter. Both missed. But at least he stuck it in the net once.

Xhaka Can’t
01-03-2015, 10:31 PM
He said tackle twice which I think is revealing.

Theres no need to get in a flap over it.

Niall_Quinn
01-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Theres no need to get in a flap over it.

I think I'll withdraw before this gets messy.

Marc Overmars
01-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Sanchez was pretty poor by his standards.

Been off the boil for a while now. Work rate is still there but it's entering headless chicken territory at the moment.

AFC Leveller
02-03-2015, 07:37 AM
Difference between Gabriel and Merts is already telling. the latter is slow, extremly uncomfortable on the ball and ducks headers (and shots, see MOnaco's first goal where he turned his back instead of facing it) where as the former looks athletic, quick, aggressive and a proper defender.

rodders
02-03-2015, 08:01 AM
My view is that the better team lost. A very poor performance from Arsenal.

Letters
02-03-2015, 08:20 AM
It wasn't a great performance but for all Everton's huffing and puffing they hardly made any decent chances. Overall we deserved the 3 points, IMO.

AFC Leveller
02-03-2015, 08:23 AM
It wasn't a great performance but for all Everton's huffing and puffing they hardly made any decent chances. Overall we deserved the 3 points, IMO.

Agreed. We had more shots, corners and obviously goals so their posession was no use in the end.

Marc Overmars
02-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I remember when we used to consider having more possession as an indicator of our dominance in games, regardless of the result.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2015, 09:33 AM
I remember when we used to consider having more possession as an indicator of our dominance in games, regardless of the result.

That's a long time ago, when we were regularly playing decent football and really did give the opposition a runaround. The result usually hinged on us being clinical in front of goal. Sometimes we were, other times not so much. Now we play football on par with the rest of the dross in this league. The good stuff happens maybe 2-3 times a game. We used to have good performances now we have good moments.

WMUG
02-03-2015, 10:34 AM
https://vine.co/v/O2lPMdFD6UI

http://gfycat.com/FearfulLikableArmyant

http://gfycat.com/OddSoupyEarwig

Everton don't like it up 'em.

Letters
02-03-2015, 10:56 AM
That Gabriel challenge :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
After Wednesday's suicide mission it was good to get back to winning ways.

- Really happy with Ospina. That save was match winning. 1 - 1 ......... it's the sort of save that DDG and Courtois have been regularly pulling for their respective teams to win them points. Not saying he's on that level, but it's certainly something that Ches hasn't done all season.

- Also pleased with Gabriel despite the early fuck up. Looks like he has all the raw ingredients and motivation to be a top class defender at this level ...... that tackle was GOAT. I recall a certain Nemanja Vidic also had a complete mare on his PL debut.

- Sanchez once again poor. We really should consider dropping him against QPR ....... he probably could do with an extended breather as well.

- Our attack was lethargic once again. Don't think Ozil + Santi can work in the centre tbh ..... you need someone who's more of a hybrid like Rosicky or Ramsey alongside them tbh.

- Good goal but Giroud's profligacy once again an issue. Really should have scored at the end from Bellerin's cross ....... lucky it didn't cost like it did on Wednesday.

- Fuck of Martinez you fraud.

Niall_Quinn
02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Sanchez once again poor. We really should consider dropping him against QPR ....... he probably could do with an extended breather as well.

There's a difference between below standard and poor. I wouldn't say he was poor because he worked hard and Everton had two men assigned to covering him most of the time which allowed opportunities elsewhere. His passing was off but his work rate was still there.

AFC Leveller
02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Nice to see Gabriel has that bit of cleverness that south americans have. he was being held by Barkley but gave as good as he got without conceding.

rodders
02-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Suspect Sanchez has realised what others before him have, that with our present Manager and owner we will always fall short of the mark.