PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeepers

Heisenberg
10-03-2015, 11:16 AM
A lot of people have lost patience with Szczesny, it would seem. Ospina has supplanted him for the moment. I've seen people talk about buying a new goalkeeper too. Cech in particular has been mentioned. While he ought to be available (having been displaced by Courtois himself), still has years left in him and is currently better than all our keepers, he does play for Chelsea, and so it is hard to envisage Mourinho agreeing to sell him to us.

Who should our goalie be?

Marc Overmars
10-03-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm happy with Ospina for the time being. I don't think Chesney is a bad keeper either but I'm sick and tired of the arrogance he displays on the pitch.

It's difficult with goalkeepers because everything they do is scrutinised to the max, as any error they make will often lead to a goal or at least a chance. No one is flawless and they're aren't many genuinely outstanding keepers around at the moment. Unfortunately the ones who are great are unattainable for us.

We won't buy another keeper unless Chesney leaves, but even then it will only be a cheap understudy.

GP
10-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Ospina is fine, been quite impressed with him considering he's be in and out of the team, in a new league.

Forget about Cech, he's not coming here, and isn't a shadow of the goalkeeper he was pre-spazhat.

Bumble
10-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Ospina is good, by the end of next season I would be surprised to see both Ospina and Szczensy still at Arsenal. Still rate Cech, cheeky bid for De Gea after all they sold us Welbeck :)

Letters
10-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Ospina is fine
I'd go with fine, but we should be look for better than fine I reckon. Last night De Gea kept them in it, our 'keepers (either of them) rarely do that.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-03-2015, 01:57 PM
I said it before but if we want to win the league we need a world class keeper. They singlehandley can win you about a dozen or so points on their own or in Chesney's case cost you points ...... points which will be absolutely vital in a battle for the title.

I've lost patience with Chesney now. His kicking is still abject, he's too arrogant and takes too many unnecessary risks to show off (and that has cost us in the past) and his decision making is still suspect at best. He looked the bees knees when he first emerged but suffice to say he hasn't developed as well as we'd all hope. At best he'll only be a mediocre mid table keeper and not good enough for a title challenge.

As decent as I think Ospina has been I don't think he has the stature to fulfill that role either.

I know people laughed and ridiculed me in the match thread but I seriously think we should make inquiries for Lloris and De Gea this summer. The former is French, would jump at the chance to move to a bigger club and one with almost guaranteed CL football every year. Obviously I know Spurs won't willingly sell to us but player power is king these days; a few backhand and indirect words to his reps that we're seriously interested and he if he really wants it, he can push through the move.

The latter is more of a difficult proposition considering RM's supposed interest but if you don't try you don't get. He like Lloris would much rather be playing for a team with CL football; two years with no CL football for a player of his quality is a disgrace tbh and he's certain to look for a move if Utd don't get top four this year.

selassie
12-03-2015, 08:14 AM
I'd go with fine, but we should be look for better than fine I reckon. Last night De Gea kept them in it, our 'keepers (either of them) rarely do that.

Yeah I agree with this. If we aim to be the best then we need to upgrade on Ospina or Ches. Either of them would be very good backup keepers.

I would personally take a punt on Cech, still think he's world class and I reckon we could get 3 or 4 very good seasons out of him.

GP
12-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Is Cech out of contract? Because that's the only way we'll get him.