PDA

View Full Version : 4th place cup run in

Dein-machine
13-03-2015, 10:24 AM
10 games to go.
6 at Home - expecting 4 wins v West Ham, Swansea, Sunderland & West Brom. Liverpool & Chelsea, god only knows.
4 away - expecting 3 wins v Newcastle, Burnley, Hull. Man Utd, its there if we want it again.

The above expected wins would put us on 75 points, normally more than enough for 4th.
If we can pick up 5 points against Chelsea, Liverpool & Utd then we beat last years total.

A big ask to win 8 of the last 10 with 2 draws but do-able.
Would expect the 80 total to give us 2nd place as City will drop points.

2nd place & retain the cup - I'd hate to admit it but Letter's could be right - its progress!!!

cheesy bites
15-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Who cares about 4th place. We're going to win the league.

Ollie the Optimist
15-03-2015, 12:44 PM
if we can finish third or even second and win the cup. Its a successful season and there will have been progress.

but we won't finish second or third.

we wil finish first and win the treble. Its on

A Gunner
15-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Chelsea only drew today, so they're 7 points ahead with a game in hand. I'll say if we do finally beat a Mourinho's Chelsea at home, we're in with a chance, as long as we keep winning before and after. Just to state the obvious.

Marc Overmars
15-03-2015, 03:31 PM
We will need to win about 10 in a row like Liverpool did last season to even have a remote chance.

2nd place is most certainly on though.

Letters
15-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Letters :bow:

*sigh*

It's so difficult to know what to make of this season. Points-wise we're still behind where we were last year but are building a head of steam so could yet finish close, points wise, where we were last year. We made a balls up of the Monaco tie (could yet retrieve it, but I think it unlikely) but we are in the FA Cup semis again and really should get to the final.

In brief: :wacko:

Letters
15-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Oh, and I do think the two wins in Manchester are significant - especially last Monday.
It's exactly the sort of game we traditionally cock up, it's the first time for years we've won a big game like that when it really mattered.
Maybe it's a sign that we're getting over our mental blocks in games like that. If so and we continue to sign players like Ozil and Sanchez we could start to seriously challenge.

Alpha
15-03-2015, 09:37 PM
What is important is if it is still mathematically possible to catch up with Chelsea . If that is doable , we still stand a chance whatever small there is .
With the momentum and the confidence found lately , the second or third places are ours to lose .

Niall_Quinn
15-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Oh, and I do think the two wins in Manchester are significant - especially last Monday.
It's exactly the sort of game we traditionally cock up, it's the first time for years we've won a big game like that when it really mattered.
Maybe it's a sign that we're getting over our mental blocks in games like that. If so and we continue to sign players like Ozil and Sanchez we could start to seriously challenge.

His name is Alexis.

Injury Time
15-03-2015, 11:02 PM
His name is Alexis.

Weird, I thought Özil surname was Hatrick :shrug:

Injury Time
15-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Who cares about 4th place. We're going to win the league.

The Fair Play League :trophy:

selassie
16-03-2015, 09:24 AM
I think if we can pick up 7 points out of 9 in the games against Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United and take care of the rest of our business then I am confident of a 2nd place finish, we are more than capable of it given our current form.

I personally think we will finish 3rd behind Man City.

3rd place and a Cup win would constitute a fairly decent season, one I would have taken at the start of the season...I would say it does depend on how we finish the season in PL and how we fare tomorrow in CL.

Edited to add: Whilst I am positive, we are by no means guaranteed of a top 4 finish, that's how crazy this season is.

Dein-machine
16-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Our wage bill has jumped by £26 mill since 2012. A higher jump than either City or Chelsea ( who have actually reduced it ) - so in one way its good that Wenger finally sees that "quality costs" but on the other hand if we were to finish 4th again it would not amount to "good investment". A 2nd place finish could potentially give us more of a base & belief that we can go on a challenge for the title - more so than an FA cup win. We can see with recent perforamces from City & Chelsea that we're only a few quality players away from giving them a proper challenge. The problem is they will both buy quality in the summer to strengthen, we need to do the same. The advantage for us is that 2 or 3 quality players will make a significant improvement to our starting 11, not so for the other 2.

Özim
16-03-2015, 01:52 PM
It's been a shocking season all in all, we've got some good results but have largely been awful, not really too convinced about progress but if we come 2nd and win the cup you can't complain too much, though our football has been very average.

as for overhauling Chelsea, not in a month of Sundays.

Ollie the Optimist
16-03-2015, 02:18 PM
It's been a shocking season all in all, we've got some good results but have largely been awful, not really too convinced about progress but if we come 2nd and win the cup you can't complain too much, though our football has been very average.

as for overhauling Chelsea, not in a month of Sundays.

you like a challenge though Zim ;)

Letters
16-03-2015, 02:27 PM
you like a challenge though Zim ;)

:haha:

GP
16-03-2015, 02:35 PM
ROTFLMAO!!! :haha: :haha:

Globalgunner
16-03-2015, 02:39 PM
The question for me is not where we are but where we want to be. we have seen so many seasons like this before and keep dismissing it at a one off or the watershed before we kick on next season. Big spending clubs are the sop we use to excuse our own glaring fallibilities.
Beginning of each season everyone connected with the club starts mouthing about how we are in it to win everything. By Xmas we are back to the old 4th place trophy mud wrestle competition. I would say on paper we have as good a squad as any team in the league. Somehow we have managed to get a collection of players as good as Chelsea and probably better than City, Sanchez has been as good as Aguero and Cazorla as good as Silva. The only player we dont have is someone as good as Toure, who has been hit and miss this season too. Compared to Chelsea the only deficiency to them is the keeper. They have 2 keepers head and shoulders above any of ours. Then we come to the manager. Mourinho is quite obviously a fraud who would take over a ballet company and have them wearing iron toed workboots and hiding knuckledusters under their Tutus.

We cant keep treading the periphery of greatness with Wenger. If he can make 3rd place this season, he will see it as a licence to do exactly the same crap as he has done the this season, the following season. He is like the man who weighs you down with cinder blocks, throws you overboard and then heroically dives in to save you. WTF? you say while being jolly glad you're alive. Whatever we achieve between now and 2017. This should be his last contract, its the lack of hope that kills it for me.

Marc Overmars
16-03-2015, 02:45 PM
He is like the man who weighs you down with cinder blocks, throws you overboard and then heroically dives in to save you. WTF? you say while being jolly glad you're alive.

:lol: