PDA

View Full Version : Giroud

Seymour Butts
23-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Anyone who is still saying Giroud is not a top player is frankly a buffoon. Yes he does have bad days.....ALL strikers have bad days. He is on top of his game at the moment and only 5 goals behind Costa and Aguero despite missing a large chunk of the season. It really is about we appreciated him a bit more and realised what a good player he actually is

Giroud's season so far

21 Appearances

17 Goals

3 Assists

If this was a player at another club we would all be crying out for his signature.

Injury Time
23-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Should be nearer 40 and tbf he's no 'Arry "one of us*" Kane is he? :coffee:

*i.e. fugly, and sound "fick" when he speaks

selassie
23-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Anyone who is still saying Giroud is not a top player is frankly a buffoon. Yes he does have bad days.....ALL strikers have bad days. He is on top of his game at the moment and only 5 goals behind Costa and Aguero despite missing a large chunk of the season. It really is about we appreciated him a bit more and realised what a good player he actually is

Giroud's season so far

21 Appearances

17 Goals

3 Assists

If this was a player at another club we would all be crying out for his signature.

I agree, his stats this season are world class. He's been playing really well, easily his best season to date. I actually think he has improved due to threat of losing his place to Welbeck.

IMO We still need another striker, I think we need an alternative to both him and Welbeck, that Argentinian guy we are heavily linked with from Palermo may well be that guy.

Seymour Butts
23-03-2015, 12:32 PM

I just don't think he gest anywhere near enough credit. Hugely underrated player IMO

GP
23-03-2015, 12:39 PM
17 in 21 is a great return.

I'm big fan of his ability and a big fan of his face.

AFC Leveller
23-03-2015, 12:48 PM
17 in 27 i think.

But yeah, a much improved player this season and his goals win us (crucial) games now

Marc Overmars
23-03-2015, 12:51 PM
He's not much of a dribbler and isn't blessed with pace, so he probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he's quite an unspectacular striker in that sense, most of the goals he scores are often bread and butter finishes in and around the 6 yard box. He's intelligent though and I'm sure if the goals keep coming he'll win enough people around.

Power n Glory
23-03-2015, 01:08 PM
He's not much of a dribbler and isn't blessed with pace, so he probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves because he's quite an unspectacular striker in that sense, most of the goals he scores are often bread and butter finishes in and around the 6 yard box. He's intelligent though and I'm sure if the goals keep coming he'll win enough people around.

I wouldn't say it's the lack of pace and dribbling. For his size, that shouldn't be expected. It's the missed chances people forget and the lack of goals in the CL or against top opposition. That's been the main problem but if he corrects that, becomes more clinical in front of goal....scores more of those belters, he'll get the deserved credit.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I tend to agree....though you are noticed more if you have particular abilities in abundance. He has started to score against better opposition more consistently and obviously score more often so he's on the right track. The CL is the obvious blot but he can be forgiven that as Wenger really didn't prepare the team properly for that first game.

I've been delighted by his step up and didn't really expect it to the extent it has come. If he does what he's done this season next, then folk will most definitely talk about him being world class..... and not so many people will think Welbeck is dead cert to start.

fakeyank
23-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I start Welbeck ahead of him in Fifa for his lack of pace.. :coffee:

Letters
23-03-2015, 01:46 PM

You bumbling idiot :sulk:

alexander
23-03-2015, 09:31 PM

Fifa? poor mans Sensible Soccer tbf :coffee:

Letters
23-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Fifa? poor mans Sensible Soccer tbf :coffee:

KICK OFF 2, ftw.

I WILL FIGHT YOU :fury:

GP
23-03-2015, 09:52 PM
KICK OFF 2, ftw.

I WILL FIGHT YOU :fury:

Yeah!

On Amiga.

Letters
23-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Why I oughta... :angry:

AFC Leveller
24-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Giroud has scored more goals in 2015 than the current WPOTY.

HatersGonnaHate

Xhaka Can’t
24-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Don't give a shit. I still hate Ronaldo.

Injury Time
24-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Giroud has scored more goals in 2015 than the current WPOTY.

HatersGonnaHate
Yes, yes but he's still not Arry "one of us, and now the messiah of En-ger-landish Football" Kane #GowdblessSherwoodvisionofSirArryKaneforSpufs

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-03-2015, 12:59 PM
If we found a Kane knocking about our Academy, I'd wet myself too to be fair. Even if he did once support spuds. The kid has 30+ goals or thereabouts doesn't he?

GP
25-03-2015, 01:00 PM
If we found a Kane knocking about our Academy, I'd wet myself too to be fair. Even if he did once support spuds. The kid has 30+ goals or thereabouts doesn't he?

Kane WAS knocking about our academy, just saying...

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Don't remind me!

Marc Overmars
25-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Spurs will probably sell him to United soon enough.

GP
25-03-2015, 01:53 PM
He's a flash in the pan anyway.

Xhaka Can’t
25-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Flash in the cistern morelike.

Master Splinter
25-03-2015, 10:39 PM
As well you know, we almost signed Kane when he was nine years old.

But we had also many players there of top, top quality. It would have killed Henry, Bergkamp and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie.

Was his speech impediment a stumbling block for us?

Look, I must say that is quite harsh on the boy. We do not like to speculate on internal matters.

But, yes there was little bit stumbling due to excess spittle on the floor.

Niall_Quinn
26-03-2015, 11:35 AM
If Kane scores a few next year then there's reason to start talking. The Whore scored a few too, look at him now. Clive Allen still holds some sort of record for goals scored in a season doesn't he? Hardly rated as one of the greats though, not after one notable season. I guess the yoofs here don't remember we actually signed him. And then swapped him before he got his peg in the changing room. I remember thinking MEH when Allen was signed. But it was FUCK YEAH when we swapped him out for Sansom. Right now I'm in MEH mode regarding Kane. I guess he'll get his chance to do nothing at International level like so many before him. This is a country that thinks Ricky Lambert is class.

Injury Time
28-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Yes, yes but he's still not Arry "one of us, and now the messiah of En-ger-landish Football" Kane #GowdblessSherwoodvisionofSirArryKaneforSpufs

Did Giroud score within 18 seconds of his full International debut?
#Kanetowinworldcupwithahatrick#nohype

Penguin
14-04-2015, 01:50 PM
He's had a great season, but there have been tons of players that have had that one special season and then faded away into obscurity. If he produces consistently over three or more seasons, fair play to him, give the man a cookie. In the meantime I'll leave it to the myopic Spurs and England fans to take their cocks out, hype him up to the heavens, and then moan and bitch among themselves when he doesn't reach their own laughably unrealistic expectations.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-04-2015, 11:42 PM
Lots of players have had impressive debut seasons or exceptional one off seasons (O'shea, Micah Richards, Benteke, it's an endless list).... but very few have scored 30+ goals in their debut season. Considering his age and relatively low profile it is virtually unprecedented.

I'm happy for Spurs to have a few decent players (that makes the winning run over them even more satisfying as long as we can still blow them out the water.

Bumble
16-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Lots of players have had impressive debut seasons or exceptional one off seasons (O'shea, Micah Richards, Benteke, it's an endless list).... but very few have scored 30+ goals in their debut season. Considering his age and relatively low profile it is virtually unprecedented.

I'm happy for Spurs to have a few decent players (that makes the winning run over them even more satisfying as long as we can still blow them out the water.
also you need a decent spurs to take points of our rivals at the top. Kane is a good player and I am sure like the last top drawer Spurs grown player, he will run down his contract and leave to a big club that wins things.

cheesy bites
18-04-2015, 08:43 AM
yeah yeah blah blah goals this appearances that

all we care about is that he's a beautiful beautiful man

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
18-04-2015, 10:54 AM
also you need a decent spurs to take points of our rivals at the top. Kane is a good player and I am sure like the last top drawer Spurs grown player, he will run down his contract and leave to a big club that wins things.

They haven't done us too many favours against United over the years but neither have we in recent times until very recently of course. Still surprised they beat Chelsea.

Master Splinter
18-04-2015, 01:27 PM
yeah yeah blah blah goals this appearances that

all we care about is that he's a beautiful beautiful man

Pretty much.

LDG
18-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Va va groom

Penguin
08-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Giroud was boo'ed off the pitch by France fans on Monday. It's not the first time it has happened, and it's quite rare for one player to get singled out like that. Apparently he missed 3 or 4 clear chances.

Can't believe this guy is our first choice striker.

Injury Time
08-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Giroud was boo'ed off the pitch by France fans on Monday. It's not the first time it has happened, and it's quite rare for one player to get singled out like that. Apparently he missed 3 or 4 clear chances.

Can't believe this guy is our first choice striker.
You forget we have Owen Goal on a free :crying:

Goonerno1
10-09-2015, 10:56 PM
He is a good striker, but not a star he needs help up front.

here are some of his goals for Arsenal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNndFv0byo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNndFv0byo

Letters
11-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Welcome to GW :tiphat:

One thing you will learn is that Arsenal players are either 'brilliant' or 'terrible'. Usually the latter, but never anywhere in between.

Giroud is a good striker, he's just not at the level we need if we're going to seriously challenge. That is somewhat mitigated by our midfield which should be full of goals although there's little evidence of that so far. Last season scoring goals wasn't a big issue, Chelsea only got 2 more than us.

Özim
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Welcome to GW :tiphat:

One thing you will learn is that Arsenal players are either 'brilliant' or 'terrible'. Usually the latter, but never anywhere in between.

Giroud is a good striker, he's just not at the level we need if we're going to seriously challenge. That is somewhat mitigated by our midfield which should be full of goals although there's little evidence of that so far. Last season scoring goals wasn't a big issue, Chelsea only got 2 more than us.

Pot luck? Don't really see loads of goals from our midfield, not one of them is a natural finisher or gets himself in those positions players who score goals get themselves into (maybe Ramsey but he doesn't seem to be able to hit the back of the net for love nor money at the moment and he's really only had one spell in a season where he's scored any decent amount).

It's all very good relying on yor midfield when you have proven scorers in there (thought I still don't think you should, as Hodgson said about England, his forwards are there to score goals), but when you don't it's nonsensical.

Letters
11-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Chelsea scored 2 more league goals than us in the league last year.
In general scoring goals wasn't a big issue.
:shrug:

Power n Glory
11-09-2015, 12:59 PM

Cut it out. Why would you say a striker was so important for us to sign if we're only looking at a two goal difference?

Letters
11-09-2015, 01:04 PM
I do think a striker was important to push us on, but scoring goals wasn't a huge issue for us in general last year.
The issue is in tight games where you don't get many chances, that's where a really top striker would help.
But in general the lack of goals so far this season is not representative of the goals we as a team are good enough to score.

Power n Glory
11-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I do think a striker was important to push us on, but scoring goals wasn't a huge issue for us in general last year.
The issue is in tight games where you don't get many chances, that's where a really top striker would help.
But in general the lack of goals so far this season is not representative of the goals we as a team are good enough to score.

So scoring was an issue and that comparison to Chelsea’s record just blurs the problem.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-09-2015, 01:43 PM
It's about being able to score when it's most important, the goals scored can be an outlier when you get five against the Aston villa but haven't managed a league goal against Chelsea in the last four games and fail to score in five out of your last six league games at home and your top scorer is a guy called Og (who the fuck calls their child that).

L'Adulterer has an ok goal record, because he scores a lot in patchy spells and then goes on massive droughts...and then constantly misses the chances that the frog crowd boo him for.

Xhaka Can’t
11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Scoring, particularly at home, became an issue at the tail end of the season. That also seems to have carried in to this season. Scoring in only 1 of our last 5 (it might be 6) home games would indicate we have a major problem here.

Kano
11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
We definitely have goal scoring problems when we really have only one central striker of note. Last years tally by Cheslea was completely misleading because the usual amount of goals scored by a title winning team is in the mid-80's. City scored more goals than Chelsea last year but their defence wasn't up to scratch. Anyone that believes a good striker, like Groud, whose maximum return in the league is 16 so far is enough, needs their head checking. Sanchez scored 16 last season but out on the wing he won't get much more than that and many of those goals came in the absence of Giroud.

fakeyank
12-09-2015, 05:32 AM

And we only conceded 4 more than them, so that makes our defense just a tad worse than theirs? Despite having a difference of GD of 6 between us, we finished 12 points behind them. How did that happen?

Its always easy to cherry pick stats to argue on the internet (I do that too). The only stat that should matter is "Have we challenged consistently over a decade for the PL?" The answer to that is no, and we need to rectify that problem. There is only one constant at Arsenal FC failing footballistically and you know his name..

PS: Would you PLEASE stop comparing our failings to the failings of other teams to show that somehow we are not as shit? When you are a winner, you look at yourself and try to better yourself, not look at others in the shit and think "we arent that bad". Like the famous Ricky Bobby said "If you aint first, you are last"

Letters
12-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Why shouldn't I compare what we're doing to the teams we're supposed to be competing with, some of who have bigger resources than us? If we're to win the league we don't need to be the best team in history, we just need to be better than everyone else. We have failings but so do all teams, to compare them is perfectly valid.

Maestro
12-09-2015, 09:04 AM
:sulk:

Niall_Quinn
12-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Why shouldn't I compare what we're doing to the teams we're supposed to be competing with, some of who have bigger resources than us? If we're to win the league we don't need to be the best team in history, we just need to be better than everyone else. We have failings but so do all teams, to compare them is perfectly valid.

That's the attitude Wenger seems to have when we're top of our group in the CL, have already qualified but need to finish things off with a couple of wins to finish top. Why bother? We've already qualified.

That's the attitude Wenger seems to have when we are on an unbeaten run, have qualified for the CL and just need to finish things off by winning our remaining games and finishing above one of the teams we supposedly can't compete with financially. Why bother? We've already qualified.

That's the attitude of the second rate, the also-ran. It's an attitude that has been stinking up the club for too long now.

Letters
12-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Nah.

Power n Glory
12-09-2015, 10:10 AM

I think we need to stop talking about teams with bigger resources. If we were making the most of what we have then it's worth bringing up but we don't.

Niall_Quinn
12-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Nah.

That's the attitude Wenger has when criticised or when the obvious flaws in his thinking or plans are placed in front of his eyes. It's the attitude of a stubborn and delusional fool, which when coupled with the attitudes of an also-ran results in one outcome - losing.

All these silly apologies and excuses and here we are ten years later with the hard evidence to examine. A record that is, in financial terms, excellent and in football terms appalling beyond comprehension. The sort of record no other manager could have possibly survived. Yes, two FA cups wins of late, laths half as many as the chavs have won in the last decade btw, but twice as many as Portsmouth or Wigan. The record is there, in plain sight, which is why the excuses have to be focused anywhere but on Arsenal. The chavs did this, the gypos did that, if it weren't for those pesky kids we could'a, should'a, would'a.

But, you know, next season is going to be different.

Niall_Quinn
12-09-2015, 10:43 AM
I think we need to stop talking about teams with bigger resources. If we were making the most of what we have then it's worth bringing up but we don't.

We could have beaten both the chavs and the gypos to the title last season if we'd had a decent manager. Both were very, very ordinary. Even with the manager we've got we should have finished ahead of the gypos - the richest club in the world. The money excuse is lame now. There's so much cash sloshing around the game not even the chavs and gypos can spend it fast enough.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
Only if that manager had bought a defender, holding midfielder and better striker than MC Hammer in summer 2014 NQ

fakeyank
13-09-2015, 05:01 PM
Hear Adebayor is available now.. :whistle:

AFC Leveller
14-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Giroud is on 12 league goals, 3 behind Lukaku at 15. I think his highest tally for a season was 14 so he is on course to beat it. I think he can get 20 league goal this season if he can stay fit.

Bumble
14-01-2016, 08:31 AM
I don't like Giroud really but when he is on form, he is proper on form and it does last a good while. Although when he is bad and moaning no point him being on the pitch.

Marc Overmars
14-01-2016, 09:06 AM
He's frustrating as hell, as shown with that silly miss last night, but his numbers are very good. "You can't win the league with him" is a stick used to beat him down a lot, but for us and our style of play, which he's integral to, I don't think we can win it WITHOUT him. We need him fit and firing every week.

Özim
14-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Don't rate the guy, far too hit and miss, he's an average striker IMO, in our team a decent striker would get 25+ goals. Yes he scores some goals (he hasn't got close to 20 since he got here, 16 was his best I think) but he also makes a fair few horrendous misses which end up costing us points, scored a very good goal yesterday but that miss may have cost us the game.

We really need a proper striker now, there's no room for pretenders.

selassie
14-01-2016, 09:40 AM
His second goal last night was world class and his general all round play 2nd half was very very good, he bullied them.

I agree with the above comments, he's a very frustrating player, though when he's on his game he's unplayable.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Hi second goal is what I want to see more off. Excellent touch to buy himself and shoot. Beautiful.

GP
14-01-2016, 11:14 AM
He's frustrating as hell, as shown with that silly miss last night, but his numbers are very good. "You can't win the league with him" is a stick used to beat him down a lot, but for us and our style of play, which he's integral to, I don't think we can win it WITHOUT him. We need him fit and firing every week.

There aren't many better than him right now.

Özim
14-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Hi second goal is what I want to see more off. Excellent touch to buy himself and shoot. Beautiful.

It's all very good scoring goals like that, but the amount of times he misses bread and butter chances just isn't good enough, if he put those away he'd easily get 25+ goals a season, problem is he doesn't. He's just not top class and it shows, he's going through a hot streak at the moment but he blows hot and cold too much and will no doubt go on another long barren spell like he usually does.

Been with us long enough now and he's at peak age for a footballer, we need better than him, good backup for sure but not good enough for a number 1 striker at a top club.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Frustrating. Scores a beauty of a striker's goal but also misses a sitter.

Good thing about him is that he often scores in bursts, so hopefully that bodes well for Stoke and Chelsea.

IBK
14-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Sorry - but it's harsh to knock Giroud given his goalscoring record. He suffers from not being 'world class' but how many such strikers are there in the EPL? Its rightly been pointed out that there aren't many strikers of Aguero's quality available, and IMO Giroud is not the weak link in this Arsenal team.

Master Splinter
14-01-2016, 06:46 PM
I love Bif.

As has been pointed out before, if his name was Trevor Davies and he was an ugly cunt, he would be lauded as the greatest thing since Andy Carroll and his dramatics would be laughed off. He's a fighter who gets the shit kicked out of him every game, yet gets up and generally prevails over the trolls who wrestle with him all game. He's the premier old-fashioned English striker in the league. It's too bad for him that he doesn't look like an orc.

Much like Drogba, he seems to improve with age. And being a late starter in the game means he has a good few years left. No-one is saying that he's world class or the best striker for our needs, but he's one of our most reliable and robust players and for maximising his talent deserves credit. It's not his fault that Wenger didn't buy an elite forward or that Aguero is more talented.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 07:11 PM
It's all very good scoring goals like that, but the amount of times he misses bread and butter chances just isn't good enough, if he put those away he'd easily get 25+ goals a season, problem is he doesn't. He's just not top class and it shows, he's going through a hot streak at the moment but he blows hot and cold too much and will no doubt go on another long barren spell like he usually does.

Been with us long enough now and he's at peak age for a footballer, we need better than him, good backup for sure but not good enough for a number 1 striker at a top club.

I think he's OK at putting away bread and butter chances to be honest. He has the odd nightmare game and can miss silly chances but I wouldn't say that's my main gripe. He'd usually put away the sitter he missed last night. Poacher goals. It's the brilliant individual goals I'd like to see more of. Last night's was an example. Being sharp in the box and creating that extra space for himself with a touch of beauty and then letting a shot rip. I've seen too many occasions where he's attempt to control that ball and lay it off to someone else. It was good to see him take it on for himself and just lace it.

Letters
14-01-2016, 07:12 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12099524/Arsenal-already-have-a-40million-striker-its-Olivier-Giroud.html

:bow:

Özim
14-01-2016, 07:34 PM
I think he's OK at putting away bread and butter chances to be honest. He has the odd nightmare game and can miss silly chances but I wouldn't say that's my main gripe. He'd usually put away the sitter he missed last night. Poacher goals. It's the brilliant individual goals I'd like to see more of. Last night's was an example. Being sharp in the box and creating that extra space for himself with a touch of beauty and then letting a shot rip. I've seen too many occasions where he's attempt to control that ball and lay it off to someone else. It was good to see him take it on for himself and just lace it.

Not convinced and his goal record kinda supports that, he's not top class and never will be, he's not the type of striker that strikes fear in the opposition or who can singlehandedly win you a match, good back up for me, but just not good enough to be number 1 striker at a big club like us, we should have an aguero type player like we have had in the past with the likes of Wright, Henry, RVP etc we're crying out for someone who can put chances away when they come along and have been for a while.

He gets a lot of criticism because he's at a big club and doesn't convince anyone with his performances, far too hit and miss.

fakeyank
14-01-2016, 07:35 PM
The only thing he needs to do is sometimes not playing with his back to goal.. he should once in a while look to make a run behind the defender, rather than be a wall to play a 1-2. He is extraordinary in holding the ball up and bringing his teammates into play but he absolutely needs to make more runs forward.

I do have to point out though... his miss yesterday was baffling. I dont know how he missed that!!

GP
15-01-2016, 08:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYx4MHUWQAAI1LE.jpg