Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Le Bumbling Idiot out!

adzzzbatch
17-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Shit stuff from all concerned.

RomfordPele
17-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Snatched a draw from a game literally any other manager in the league would win given our players.

Xhaka Can’t
17-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Sounded great

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Competition:

First Prize is an all expenses paid trip to the looney bin. Must be 18 or over and a certified batshit loon.

Please complete the following sentence. Most creatively la-la, whoop-whoop, ptang-ptang, wheeeeeeeeee answer wins it.

Wenger should stay for 2 more years because...

Penguin
17-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I wish I could erase the first half from my memory. Typical Wenger performance. Second half a bit better but too little too late. Ramsey was awesome, and Theo was positive.

Alexis off for Flamini :haha: :haha: :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
17-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Unbeaten in the North West this season. :bow:

Globalgunner
17-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Wenger, definitely yesterdays man. No hope for progress with a man with no aspirations to reach higher highs.
1-1 Its progress where we are concerned at OT.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Didn't embarrass ourselves :bow:

Well we did, but not as badly.

Progress!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Completely unbeaten in the North full stop

Fives wins and three draws from eight games

Marked improvement on three wins and four defeats from seven last season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Wenger, definitely yesterdays man. No hope for progress with a man with no aspirations to reach higher highs.
1-1 Its progress where we are concerned at OT.

Not disagreeing with you per se, but technically after five straight defeats at the theatre of aspirational dismemberment it kind of is improvement.

Maestro
17-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Didn't watch the Wenget fest today, how was it fellas?

Master Splinter
A bit crap.

Koscielny is awlsome though. In fact, the defence played well. The rest of the team just about woke up in the last 30 minutes and created enough chances to win the game.

Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsey (although not in his best position again) were generally shit. Hope they take the flip-flops off before the Cup final.

Wilshere has looked sharp in his sub appearances. He should get a few games now, along with Walcott and Gabriel to freshen up the team.

Mike Dean a cheat.

Fellaini a filthy non-footballer.

Niall_Quinn
Not disagreeing with you per se, but technically after five straight defeats at the theatre of aspirational dismemberment it kind of is improvement.

I can't see how anyone is going to beat that answer (except possibly you know who, he who shall not be named). Very strong effort. I think you are going to win it.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Didn't watch the Wenget fest today, how was it fellas?

Did you watch Swansea? It was worse than that.

Power n Glory
17-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Lucky to get the draw. Very lucky.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Mike Dean a cheat.

Good and accurate posting.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 05:07 PM
If we'd beaten Swansea last week i'd actually be pleased with today's result....as shit as they are, Old Trafford is not the easiest place to come to get a result of any kind.

Maestro
17-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Competition:

First Prize is an all expenses paid trip to the looney bin. Must be 18 or over and a certified batshit loon.

Please complete the following sentence. Most creatively la-la, whoop-whoop, ptang-ptang, wheeeeeeeeee answer wins it.

Wenger should stay for 2 more years because...Letters will miss him dearly

?

The Emirates Gallactico
17-05-2015, 05:08 PM
No questions that Ramsey should start in the middle for the remaining games.

Santi was poor and competition dictates you play the man in form.

New striker, GK and another DM needed this summer.

Maestro
17-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Did you watch Swansea? It was worse than that.

how is that even possible

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 05:09 PM
I can't see how anyone is going to beat that answer (except possibly you know who, he who shall not be named). Very strong effort. I think you are going to win it.

Like winning the competition for worst dressed man or smelliest fuck

Just want to put it in writing though that, that wasn't a sales pitch for l'ouisseau.....it was just a mindless act of pedantry

RomfordPele
17-05-2015, 05:10 PM
No questions that Ramsey should start in the middle for the remaining games.

Santi was poor and competition dictates you play the man in form.

New striker, GK and another DM needed this summer.

Odds on we will sign a full back then.

Globalgunner
17-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Competition:

Wenger should stay for 2 more years because...otherwise Letters would probably take a watery dump in one of the cars in the London Eye and embarrass all of us .

Save our Wenger, otherwise he would die of boredom

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Basically the whole side could have been wearing cardigans and slippers and that wouldn't have wouldn't have told the story about how casual we were.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:11 PM
The goal at the tail end of this season was 2nd. It was in our hands. Looks like we'll scrape 3rd. That counts as a collapse as far as I'm conferenced. You get no credit for blowing it when it is in your hands. Obviously I want them to win the cup, but that will be used to cover up the huge issues we have at this club. Fans from lower down the league will say we are lucky, moaning bastards. Okay, that would be true if the aim of a club like Arsenal is to finish as also-rans to the top tier. Is that the aim? If we want more than that then this season must be viewed in a real light. A huge failure. The manager has to go. Look at what he put out today and how he set them up. He's got talent at his disposal but possesses none himself. Not in the key aspects that affect what happens on the pitch.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:12 PM

You needed to watch, although I admit it was hard to believe your eyes.

Penguin

Never underestimate the powers of this man

http://le-grove.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/88jlXKYG.jpg

Niall_Quinn
?

That's a disqualification tbf

McNamara That Ghost...
17-05-2015, 05:15 PM
The farmer shovelling shit again.

Still at least we have the Sunderland game to forget about this nonsense. :pray:

Maestro
17-05-2015, 05:15 PM
A bit crap.

Koscielny is awlsome though. In fact, the defence played well. The rest of the team just about woke up in the last 30 minutes and created enough chances to win the game.

Sanchez, Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsey (although not in his best position again) were generally shit. Hope they take the flip-flops off before the Cup final.

Wilshere has looked sharp in his sub appearances. He should get a few games now, along with Walcott and Gabriel to freshen up the team.

Mike Dean a cheat.

Fellaini a filthy non-footballer.

Sounds like heavy legs and top management are kicking in

Kano
17-05-2015, 05:16 PM
And that is why both these teams will be battling it out again for 3/4 next season too.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:17 PM
Wenger:

"Very important not to let Man Utd in front of us..."

"Second half we took over and dominated the game..."

"We lost too many balls, not compact enough in the middle, needed to be more incisive with passing, more on the front foot..."

"Man Utd dropped in the seconf half..."

"Fellani is a very different animal, always with a little push you don't notice from the outside..."

"When Theo and Jack came on they had a positive impact..."

"It is important to keep the focus until the end of the season..."

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:18 PM
The farmer shovelling shit again.

Still at least we have the Sunderland game to forget about this nonsense. :pray:

Some good old fashioned flat track bullying :bow:

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 05:20 PM
And that is why both these teams will be battling it out again for 3/4 next season too.

Without a doubt. But we have the squad to win the league. Just need a manager now.

Letters
17-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Without a doubt. But we have the squad to win the league. Just need a manager now.

Mourinho in?

Dein-machine
17-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Mourinho in?

Someone with half of the tactical nous of Mourinho would do

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Mourinho in?

Because there are only two managers in world football, Maureen and Wenger.

If you want 4th forever then keep Wenger forever.

If you want to move beyond that then Wenger out. It's that simple.

And before you say, hey we got 3rd and try to make out that means shit, in time Utd will get a good squad together again so 3rd is by the grace of while they go through a transition that will actually have an end.

fakeyank
17-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Because there are only two managers in world football, Maureen and Wenger.

If you want 4th forever then keep Wenger forever.

And before you say, hey we got 3rd and try to make out that means shit, in time Utd will get a good squad together again so 3rd is by the grace of while they go through a transition that will actually have an end.

If you aint first, you are last- Ricky Bobby

Letters
17-05-2015, 07:09 PM
It isn't that simple because you also need to say who in, given that the 'who' has to do better or there's no point in changing.
I said Mourinho because I believe with this squad he'd win the league. If that's all you care about then why wouldn't you want him in? It's not all I care about and I don't think it is for you either.

Xhaka Can’t
17-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Please Zim, for the love of God, come back and do this right.

GP
17-05-2015, 07:22 PM
This thread smells of wee.

fakeyank
17-05-2015, 07:26 PM
It isn't that simple because you also need to say who in, given that the 'who' has to do better or there's no point in changing.
I said Mourinho because I believe with this squad he'd win the league. If that's all you care about then why wouldn't you want him in? It's not all I care about and I don't think it is for you either.

The 'who' has been mentioned countless times here. Whether you like those name or not is your personal choice but there are many fishes in the sea. Wenger is just an ordinary fish we give too much importance to. And yes, there is no 100% guarantee someone else will do better.. there is always risk-reward in every decision and at this point, replacing wenger is well worth the risk. In fact, it shouldve happened many years ago... still better late than never!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 07:27 PM
This thread smells of wee.

sorry nervous bladder

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 07:29 PM
In fact, it shouldve happened many years ago... still better late than never!

You know he's going nowhere for at least two years right?

Kano
17-05-2015, 07:51 PM

Yesterday you stated you didn't have to suggest an alternative, so why does anyone else? Mourinho is a worthless suggestion. It'll never happen. Pick one from the many managers you do know. If you say no-one can do better then that is such a limited point of view and a damning indictment of out club. This discussion is not about who would guarantee us the league - no-one can do that. It is about who could offer more with not only the players currently at the club but the vast resources available.

Letters
17-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Yesterday you stated you didn't have to suggest an alternative, so why does anyone else?
They don't have to. I'm just saying it's not as simple as 'Wenger out'. That's only half of it, and it's the easy bit. The 'who in' is the difficult part.
I'm not saying no-one could do better than Wenger. I am saying that I reckon a lot of managers would do worse.

It's perfectly valid to want Wenger out and not know who we should replace him with but it makes no sense at all to replace him with someone who would do worse. Obviously we don't really know who anyone else would do. Personally I'd have taken 3rd and winning the Cup at the start of the season, if that's what happens then I'll be content enough. Obviously I want us to be pushing on for the title, I actually think we're close to a squad which can. Questions remain about whether we have a manager who can. Let's face it, he's going to be here next season whatever you or I think but with the squad he's got now there's no excuse for not challenging next season.

Xhaka Can’t
17-05-2015, 08:29 PM
sorry nervous bladder

You're missing a comma.

I think.

Letters
17-05-2015, 08:32 PM
:lol: Grammar jokes :bow:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 08:34 PM
If Wenger was gone at the end of the season (not going to happen) then my first choice would be Carlo Ancelotti who i think is going to get the push from Real Madrid.
Hard to know who will be availiable in two years time...Thomas Tuchel who has just taken over at Dortmund from Klopp will be worth watching, as will Klopp himself who i can see replacing Ancelotti at Real Madrid. Simeone is another Mourinho type manager, as well as Atletico Madrid did last season they were thoroughly boring to watch most of the time.
Guardiola may be an option for us but he is just as likely to be an option for one of the two Manchester clubs as well (Van Gaal won't be there more than another two seasons). But to be honest the Board should be looking in the next six months to get a new man in, where as you imagine they will try and convince Wenger to sign on for another three years.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2015, 08:36 PM
You're missing a comma.

I think.

another comma would indicate sorry in a descriptive sense rather than it's original apologetic use.

a sorry, nervous bladder.

Xhaka Can’t
17-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Whether we can name a manager we think can do better is immaterial. We have a Board and a CEO whose job it is to do so. They are well rewarded to develop strategies and are equipped with far greater insight as to what is possible or not in terms of getting in someone in. Someone who can do something different that would at least provide an alternative to an approach that is proven not to deliver.

It is they, , more so than Wenger who are sat in the comfort zone.

alexander
17-05-2015, 08:37 PM
I cant believe everyone on here keeps banging on about wenger in/out. He isnt going anywhere until the end of his contract at the very least. Its a pointless argument.
I for one think this season has been an improvement. I no longer feel we are going to the other `top` clubs and going to get our arses handed to ourselves on a plate. OK, we dont always perform, but we are still a work in progress with players like Bel/Coq coming in and showing great signs. I think we have an excellent basis to work from here, and it will be with Wenger in charge, like it or not. Maybe by the time he goes, Klopp/Pep/Simeone will have done more to prove they can perform at more than one club for longer than a season or two combined with exceptional players.
As for today result, we should have one going by ManU recent form, but we know in the past we can go to a team that is playing poorly and get beaten. Again, a top team have failed to beat us. I for one will take that and I think we have enough to get third.

KSE Comedy Club
17-05-2015, 09:08 PM
We have been a work in progress for the last decade though :coffee:

Fact is, we should have beaten Swansea last week and we should have beaten Man U today.

We have the players and they have shown they are more than capable of doing so.

But it is literally looking like we have switched off when we have secured our place in the top four.

Letters
17-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Whether we can name a manager we think can do better is immaterial. We have a Board and a CEO whose job it is to do so. They are well rewarded to develop strategies and are equipped with far greater insight as to what is possible or not in terms of getting in someone in. Someone who can do something different that would at least provide an alternative to an approach that is proven not to deliver.

It is they, , more so than Wenger who are sat in the comfort zone.
If there's anyone I trust less than Internet Twats to pick our new manager then it's our board.

Kano
17-05-2015, 09:25 PM
They don't have to. I'm just saying it's not as simple as 'Wenger out'. That's only half of it, and it's the easy bit. The 'who in' is the difficult part.
I'm not saying no-one could do better than Wenger. I am saying that I reckon a lot of managers would do worse.

It's perfectly valid to want Wenger out and not know who we should replace him with but it makes no sense at all to replace him with someone who would do worse. Obviously we don't really know who anyone else would do. Personally I'd have taken 3rd and winning the Cup at the start of the season, if that's what happens then I'll be content enough. Obviously I want us to be pushing on for the title, I actually think we're close to a squad which can. Questions remain about whether we have a manager who can. Let's face it, he's going to be here next season whatever you or I think but with the squad he's got now there's no excuse for not challenging next season.

Without a shadow of doubt he'll be here for two years but a lot of your argument is based on what <i>might</i> happen. The cup still had to be won and although we're favourites it is far from a banker against a rejuvenated team now safe in the Prem. Let's not forgot the final and two semi's we've squeezed through. What is your assessment if we finish third without a cup?

Letters
17-05-2015, 10:00 PM
What is your assessment if we finish third without a cup?

Given out Final opponents, that would be disappointing.

Kano
17-05-2015, 11:21 PM
:sarcy:

fakeyank
18-05-2015, 12:17 AM
You know he's going nowhere for at least two years right?

If the status quo of the board and fans persist, then yes, you are absolutely correct. However IF the fans decide to grow a pair and actually realize that they are paying for caviar and getting a cheese burger, then there is a remote chance this man may be given the boot. I live in that eternal hope...

Letters
18-05-2015, 06:08 AM
I'm amused at the idea of 'Wenger out' banners in the ground when we've just finished 3rd and have a Cup Final to look forward to.

GP
18-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Man Utd :haha:

Can't even beat a team managed by a bumbling idiot.

Niall_Quinn
18-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm amused at the idea of 'Wenger out' banners in the ground when we've just finished 3rd and have a Cup Final to look forward to.

I think the "Billions in TV Revenue, £60 for a Ticket" state the point well without having to target an individual.

Letters
18-05-2015, 08:57 AM
The only two clubs who will finish above us are the billionaire cheats. I can live with that, although we should be closer.

Niall_Quinn
18-05-2015, 09:17 AM
The only two clubs who will finish above us are the billionaire cheats. I can live with that, although we should be closer.

Wenger can live with it too. That's the problem.

Letters
18-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Interesting. The board certainly can. It certainly doesn't keep them up at night.
I think Wenger is more bothered about it than some on here think.
Whether he has the ability to do anything about it is a different matter.

AFC Leveller
18-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I agree with letters when he says finding a better manager is the real issue. Wenger, imo, has lost that magic that got him titles and world class teams and he definitely is yesterday's man but right now, who out there is genuinely better and available? Not many. When real Madrid can't find someone them you know the choices are few. Klopp is the standout choice but word is that is wants to take a break, plus citeh and real are on his case as well so we stand no chance

Marc Overmars
18-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Shite game but an important point none the less. Barring 2 embarrassing results that should be automatic CL qualification sorted.

Roll on the cup final.

Dein-machine
18-05-2015, 11:04 AM
I agree with letters when he says finding a better manager is the real issue. Wenger, imo, has lost that magic that got him titles and world class teams and he definitely is yesterday's man but right now, who out there is genuinely better and available? Not many. When real Madrid can't find someone them you know the choices are few. Klopp is the standout choice but word is that is wants to take a break, plus citeh and real are on his case as well so we stand no chance

Any new manager coming in would know that 4th place in not an improvement for us. To put their own stamp on things they would HAVE to deliver better. Wenger doesn't see this, he can't possibly want to win a title going into a season relying on players like Merts, Arteta, Sir Ches & Giroud. Spine of the team simply not good enough.
I would have no problems with Clement coming in from Madrid with Henry joining him as right hand man. Clement has better experience of modern European football than Wenger ever had when he joined us. Why do we keep on about big name replacements, most of which are not far off Wenger age & old mentality. Football has changed & we need a modern approach to whoever manages next.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Whether he has the ability to do anything about it is a different matter.

I'm sure Wenger is bothered by it, but you can't change human nature and if the board put no pressure on him to acheive he will feel more comfortable reverting to type and resting on his laurels rather than challenging himself to adapt to see if he does have the ability.
It's easy for many of us to say but a lot of the flaws in the side seem very elementary and don't require revolutionary thinking to overcome, with financial fair play it could be that the only club that can outspend us now is Manchester United....and like I say I don't believe Wenger is any worse than Van Gaal or Pellegrini....but we know he's not under the same pressure to perform from a complacent, greedy board who care nothing about the supporters.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Old men are stubborn and less adaptable to new ideas, Wenger was a revolutionary once but he's now a dinosaur. You can't really expect innovative ideas from a man of Wengers age. Ferguson was as much of a curmudgeon but he had the good sense to know when to delegate.

Power n Glory
18-05-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't know what bothers Wenger but his record against Chelsea, Man Utd and going so long without a trophy should really keep him focused and hungry for success. His Champions League record should embarrass him. I don't know why these things haven't troubled his ego and why he needs further incentive from the Board to push on for silverware. Where's his pride? Isn't the stench of continued failure enough? It's not as if he hasn't been mocked by his rivals, the press or hear the discontent around the stadium or from his own players. Maybe the challenge is just beyond his capabilities but it's the stubborn streaks and excuses that really take the biscuit. Blind to what's really going on around him.

Letters
18-05-2015, 01:41 PM
IMO it's lack of ability than lack of interest, you can see how much it hurts him when things aren't going well for us.
That said I still think he has more ability than most.

Globalgunner
18-05-2015, 01:41 PM
The only thing that bothers Wenger is having a job to go to. It is only at the non-aspirational, middlingly stagnant, coffers centric, Arsenal FC that such mediocrity is garlanded as success. Any of the other major clubs in Europe would have turfed his ass out long ago. He knows it too, that's why he will still be looking at a contract extension even after 2017.

Letters
18-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Yeah. That's bollox.

Globalgunner
18-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Yeah. That's bollox.

Nope, I am right as usual. There is soon to be a vacancy at Real Madrid. Wenger should jump at it before Big Sam does

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't know what bothers Wenger but his record against Chelsea, Man Utd and going so long without a trophy should really keep him focused and hungry for success. His Champions League record should embarrass him. I don't know why these things haven't troubled his ego and why he needs further incentive from the Board to push on for silverware. Where's his pride? Isn't the stench of continued failure enough? It's not as if he hasn't been mocked by his rivals, the press or hear the discontent around the stadium or from his own players. Maybe the challenge is just beyond his capabilities but it's the stubborn streaks and excuses that really take the biscuit. Blind to what's really going on around him.

I think it's a combination of lack of resources and Wengers inability/unwillingness to adapt to the changing game. The main difference to the game that has shown Wenger up is the change in the scouting down by other clubs, the players that Wenger brought in to win titles were largely cheap to buy and because prodigious young talent comes to notice that much quicker in a world of you tube etc, Wenger is being out priced in his usual scouting areas...and players that could win him titles based on their individual brilliance rather than his managerial brilliance aren't easy to come by. And he's had to go for players that whilst technically gifted don't have the physicality or mental strength to win the big prizes.
To put it simply his winning formula was an ability to spot and nurture talent, he's never been a brilliant tactician, he's allowed his players to shape their own destiny on the pitch and that approach doesn't work anymore.

Bumble
18-05-2015, 03:23 PM
I think it's a combination of lack of resources and Wengers inability/unwillingness to adapt to the changing game. The main difference to the game that has shown Wenger up is the change in the scouting down by other clubs, the players that Wenger brought in to win titles were largely cheap to buy and because prodigious young talent comes to notice that much quicker in a world of you tube etc, Wenger is being out priced in his usual scouting areas...and players that could win him titles based on their individual brilliance rather than his managerial brilliance aren't easy to come by. And he's had to go for players that whilst technically gifted don't have the physicality or mental strength to win the big prizes.
To put it simply his winning formula was an ability to spot and nurture talent, he's never been a brilliant tactician, he's allowed his players to shape their own destiny on the pitch and that approach doesn't work anymore.
I don't think its lack of resources, we have always been one of the biggest payers in the league. What Wenger had when he joined was a wonderful knowledge of the French league and at the time the French had the best side in the world too. Something he could exploit. However, other clubs have improved there scouting so that this competitive advantage has disappeared. Wenger isn't a tactician as you say. He trusts and lets the players do the thinking on the pitch.

I don't think we are far away but until we can beat Chelsea in a game we wont win the league. We need to do that and I really think we missed our chance the last time we played them.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Oh I think there has been a clear issue with our spending ability up until recently, I don't think signing a player for over twenty million was a possibility three-four years ago let alone signing players of 35 million +
Where as before because Wenger could sign players of high quality at a young age ten + years ago it wasnt so much of an issue, but the other clubs have got wise to this and now even a teenager with lots of potential is worth millions.
And Wenger hasn't adapted by scouting different foreign markets or setting up with a different approach this is why he has not pushed us on. Now the money is available it's a question of how wisely he spends it, but in the current market even with vastly improved spending resources it will be hard for him to replicate any of his past achievements without tactical nous, which he seems to lack.

Globalgunner
18-05-2015, 03:48 PM
The other thing ive observed is that Wenger does not like players with strong personalities. The demise of the team as leaders in competition has strangely coincided with the loss of leaders in the dressing room. He got rid of Ian Wright after his first season. Wrighty still had so much to offer and players like Anelka could have learnt a lot from him (or not in Nicks case). Adams also left (possibly a good descision as he was way past his best), but he also kept Winterburn, Seaman and Dixon far too long, so why was Adams shown the door?. The biggest miss of course was Vieira, I dont know if he was as gregarious behind the scenes as he was on it but he was missed certainly as a leader. We have not had a dominant personality in the squad since. As difficult as it is to manage these characters, every team needs one, otherwise the team as a whole starts to take on the personality of the manager instead, good if your manager is SAF, not so good if he isnt.

Letters
18-05-2015, 04:11 PM
And Wenger hasn't adapted by scouting different foreign markets or setting up with a different approach this is why he has not pushed us on. Now the money is available it's a question of how wisely he spends it, but in the current market even with vastly improved spending resources it will be hard for him to replicate any of his past achievements without tactical nous, which he seems to lack.
The way I see it is more that when Wenger came in he had a knowledge of the worldwide game which other managers in England didn't have, he could take his pick of the best young talent. Now everyone has worldwide scouting networks. I don't know where else Wenger can look.
All the things which Wenger brought in as innovations are now standard. He's lost that edge. Despite that he has been a safe pair of hands and now the financial deals are in place he's started signing the level of player who could really push us on. I think this is the best squad we've had for a long time. Whether he's the right man to lead us on is highly debatable of course but the level of criticism Wenger has had on here is unwarranted, IMO.

Power n Glory
18-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Yeah, he was never a great tactician. You could see that from the early days when he arrived and it's become even more clear now that the standard in the Prem has gotten better. We also used to have a team that could outrun the opposition over 90 minutes. We'd have them dizzy and gasping for air with out short passing and quick breaks until they totally broke down and just couldn't defend. That's just not the case anymore. The games caught up.

But even if we take all this into consideration, I don't know why hasn't tried to adjust, changed his backroom staff or just demanded more money to get the best players we can afford. Instead, it seems like it's outside pressure that's getting him to spend or Gazidis having a word with him to let him know that we need to spend. It's the stubbornness that's really damaged his reputation. He was untouchable once upon a time.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
18-05-2015, 06:36 PM
K
The other thing ive observed is that Wenger does not like players with strong personalities. The demise of the team as leaders in competition has strangely coincided with the loss of leaders in the dressing room. He got rid of Ian Wright after his first season. Wrighty still had so much to offer and players like Anelka could have learnt a lot from him (or not in Nicks case). Adams also left (possibly a good descision as he was way past his best), but he also kept Winterburn, Seaman and Dixon far too long, so why was Adams shown the door?. The biggest miss of course was Vieira, I dont know if he was as gregarious behind the scenes as he was on it but he was missed certainly as a leader. We have not had a dominant personality in the squad since. As difficult as it is to manage these characters, every team needs one, otherwise the team as a whole starts to take on the personality of the manager instead, good if your manager is SAF, not so good if he isnt.

I'm not sure that's true, I think what Wenger doesn't like is people that are too colourful in their private life off the pitch, Ian Wright was 35 when we got rid of him, Wenger did him a favour by playing him enough times in 1997/1998 so that he'd pick up a winners medal.
Adams wasnt show the door either, he was there until 2002 when he retired at 35
Vieira wasn't a big personality and the decision to make him Captain was to stop him
Sulking when we wouldn't sell him to Man United in 2001. He wasnt a natural leader in the conventional sense but he knew which of the players in the side were big personalities so he used to delegate as a kind of team leadership to them, for instance he asked Sol Campbell to bawl him out if he had neglected his defensive duties.
There was a big mutual respect between these players and Wenger as they saw him as an older brother who would treat them like adults and work things out for themselves, where as today's pampered overgrown man child isn't the same.