PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Fan In Peace!

Krishen
29-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Hi all,

Liverpool fan in peace (as the title suggests!).
I write for a Liverpool site called The Tomkins Times and as a preseason warm up, I am trying to gauge the opinions of fans of others clubs.

If you could take a few minutes to answer some questions for an article, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Krish

1) How did you think the 14/15 season went for you compared to your expectations at the start of the campaign? Where did it go right and/or wrong?

2) What are you hopes/expectations for 15/16 and where do you think you will finish in the league?

3) Do you have full trust in your manager? To play devil's advocate, what would have to go wrong for him to be sacked?

4) It's been an oddly quiet transfer window this summer, but of the business you have done so far, are you happy with the ins and outs?

5) Obviously there is still some time to go, so which player/s would you like to sign, sell and/or which positions strengthened?

6) Speaking of transfers, what was your take on the Raheem Sterling transfer and the way he & his agent forced through the move?

7) What do you make of Liverpool's signings? (Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke).

8) Where do you think LFC will finish in the league?

9) Do you want Balotelli?

Thanks again for your help.

LDG
29-07-2015, 07:04 PM
:tiphat:

1) 14/15 seemed rather samey as the previous season. Was dissapointed with the start, as I thought we could push on from the 2014 FA Cup win. Instead we serves up some tripe and found ourselves too far off the pace to make a challenge.

We made a couple of strides forward by beating City and Utd (cup), but had all too familiar dissapointments against the other top sides, and an awful performance in the ECL.

It went wrong as we were unprepared. We lost all momentum we had in the previous year due to poor tactics in defence, and sluggish starts from our key players. That said, can't argue with our record post Xmas in the league.

2) It's a similar ask from last year. Carry the momentum of last year into this year. Start well, don't lose to the big boys (draws will do), be professional, efficient and consistent (-ly good) first and foremost.

We should challenge for the title with the calibre of players we have. But we'll come short again, as we (or the manager) won't go the distance to ensure an outright fight with the other big boys. He won't spend when we need to, or change tactics during a game when the chips are down.

2nd.

3) Wenger will always be a legend. But he needs to take us the distance now. We have the money and the basis of the team to win the league. Our manager stops us short every time.

He will only get the sack if we finish below 4th (and even then the board still love him for safegaurding their cash).

If we were really serious about big trophies, we would have brought new blood into the hotseat to continue what I think Wenger has done amazingly well to build foundations for.

Perhaps I'm too demanding....but when uou see the same mistakes made all the time, it becomes a tad annoying.

4) Very happy with Cech. Need another CB, cover for DM and a world class striker to make us complete.

5) As above. Key position is a worldy at DM for me. So I'd love us to go after a beast who can drive the team and dominate the midfield. Who that is....not my job to know!

6) It's the same as we've had beforw with Nasri, Cole etc. The agent's softly spoken words of filthy riches beyond imagination, and now normal playing of the media, mean the player will always get what he wants.

I would love to see more honesty and loyalty, but this is a new age of filth and scum. It's the way it is.

7) Dunno. It's not just about players. It's whether the manager has a design for the team. He bought loads last year and didn't seem to know how to play them.

8) 5th

9) No ta.

Syn
29-07-2015, 07:05 PM
1) How did you think the 14/15 season went for you compared to your expectations at the start of the campaign? Where did it go right and/or wrong?

2) What are you hopes/expectations for 15/16 and where do you think you will finish in the league?

3) Do you have full trust in your manager? To play devil's advocate, what would have to go wrong for him to be sacked?

4) It's been an oddly quiet transfer window this summer, but of the business you have done so far, are you happy with the ins and outs?

5) Obviously there is still some time to go, so which player/s would you like to sign, sell and/or which positions strengthened?

6) Speaking of transfers, what was your take on the Raheem Sterling transfer and the way he & his agent forced through the move?

7) What do you make of Liverpool's signings? (Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke).

1) #decent went wrong in the first half of the season when everyone was injured and went right in the second half of the season when everyone wasn't injured.

2) hopes are to win the league. Expectations are to challenge. I think arsenal will finish 1st or 2nd.

3) Yes, he's obviously a top manager. Outside top 4 to get sacked.

4) Yes

5) defensive mid and striker

6) he's probably a bit of a tit but Liverpool should be ashamed of the smear campaign. He didn't want to sign a contract and that was it. I think he should've stayed at Liverpool but there was no need to criticise his character like Liverpool have done.

7) nothing

8) 5th or 6th

9) nah

10) no worries.

Letters
30-07-2015, 09:00 AM
1) I was expecting a more serious title challenge, the car crash of the start to the season was very disappointing but can't argue with the 2nd half of the season, we went on a great run, won some big games - the two results in Manchester stand out - and, of course, won the FA Cup. It went wrong because of the sluggish start but we got it together in time to salvage it and while the lack of a genuine title challenge was disappointing it was a pretty decent season overall.

2) We really need to push on this year and properly challenge for the title. It's going to be tough to win it because last season's top 4 are all very strong and the order of those teams is hard to predict. I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd but reasonably close to the Champions (who, depressingly, will probably be Chelsea). I'm expecting a decent Cup run and in the CL I'm hoping we'll at least get to the quarter finals this year.

3) I do trust him although he is very frustrating at times. He's a far better manager than many on here suppose (I don't know quite why this site has become a haven for the Wenger out brigade as it doesn't reflect the views of the wider Arsenal support). If we don't start seriously challenging for the title now then he should be sacked but I don't think he will be unless we fall out of the top 4, which I don't think he will.

4) I'm happy with what we've done, not happy with what we haven't done.

5) We really need a top striker, IMO that's the biggest thing which is stop us seriously challenging for the title.

6) Sterling is a dick, but so are most young players these days - they get far too spoilt far too early and they have made it before they've really achieved anything in the game. And don't get me started about agents. But it's good business for you, he's not worth anything like what they've paid for him.

7) Benteke you paid way over the odds for IMO, he's good but not that good. None of your signings have me quaking in my boots, I don't think it's enough for you to get back into the top 4.

8) 5th.

9) :lol: Dear God no!

Globalgunner
30-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Hi all,

Liverpool fan in peace (as the title suggests!).
I write for a Liverpool site called The Tomkins Times and as a preseason warm up, I am trying to gauge the opinions of fans of others clubs.

If you could take a few minutes to answer some questions for an article, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Krish

1. Do not have expectations for us to win the league with Wenger in charge. He will keep making the same mistakes ad infinitum, so we did better than I expected at 3rd. w/o Sanchez we would have been 4th. w/o Coquelin we may have been 5th, we cant keep getting lucky.

2. Expect us to battle again with Utd for 3/4 positions. If City are struggling by Xmas expect Pellegrini to be sacked and replaced by Ancelotti, they will then improve and go head to head with Chelsea for the title

3. The manager is IMO holding us back. He will however keep us in the top 4, even if we drop out he will get at least another season.

4. Additions so far: Cech good, need more in DM and CF positions, but we could still challenge as is but will fall short w/o quality additions.
Would like a DM. Cristoph Kramer of Leverkusen would be my preference with William Carvalho injured. CF is hard as no outstanding quality is really available. Would be happy to stick with what we have rather than buy average

6. Raheem Sterling is symptomatic of the malaise in English football. Only City are stupid enough to pay what they did for him. Panic buying when you are the obvious sole bidder....Madness. If he was French or Italian, he would have cost half what he did.

7. Doubt if Liverpools new players will improve them on the pitch. Would personally not have been interested in any of them for Arsenal.

8. Expect Liverpool to push Spurs back into 6th

9. Surprisingly Yes. I think we can rehabilitate him. Wenger would be the perfect manager for him. but only for 8m after one season on loan.

Letters
30-07-2015, 02:46 PM
w/o Sanchez we would have been 4th. w/o Coquelin we may have been 5th, we cant keep getting lucky.
Maybe, after a bazillion years a row in the top 4, it's not luck?
Just a thought...

Globalgunner
30-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Just a thought...

You just cant leave anything alone can you. The OP asked for my opinion, not your commentary on it

fakeyank
30-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Just a thought...

Maybe, after a bazillion years not challenging for the title, its the manager?

Just a thought...

Syn
30-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Idiots.

fakeyank
30-07-2015, 03:43 PM
1) The FA cup win was sweet and made the season a little better than what it actually was. Expectation was 3rd/4th and we got 3rd, so that was bang on. What went right last season was Sanchez- what a fucking player!!! Where did it go wrong? Shit start.

2) We will finish 3rd/4th this season as well. Expecting to either have a strong start or a strong finish (not both) for Wengers fan boys to point at arbitrary statistics of 15 wins out of 18 as a cause for optimism about the 'next season'

3) No. He is too stubborn and does not have the tactical awareness to win the PL. The only way I can see the board sacking him is if we finish outside the top 10 or get relegated.

4) Very happy with the outs so far. We could do with selling Flamini as well. Very happy with the arrival of Cech but I think we are missing the boat in not signing a DM backup to Le Coq. If he gets injured, we have a bunch of morans to fill that position.

5) I would love for us to sign Wanayama from Southampton. Soto might play hardball but show them the money and I think we can nick him for less than 20 million quid. I am not too concerned about our strike force and think we should look to give Welbeck and Walcott some time up front to see what they are made of.

6) Sterling was way over-priced. He and his agent acted like despicable pricks... and I think Liverpool didnt cover themselves in glory either in the way they made some of the conversations public.

7) I think you guys did great business in getting Milner and Benteke in. Rate both of them and I can see them playing a major role in the coming season. If you can get Benteke and Sturridge to play alongside each other, you have a deadly strike force. People seem to forget how good Sturridge is.. when fit, he was matching Suarez in terms of goals, and that is no mean feat!!

8) 5th

9) Yes, if you pay us 30 million quid plus sturridge.

Shaqiri Is Boss
30-07-2015, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Sturridge did go within a couple of years. The murmurings from the club/press aren't exactly full of confidence that he's not a perma-crock.

FY is right though, he has been fantastic in his own right for us.