PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Spuds (away, COC).

McNamara That Ghost...
23-09-2015, 08:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO351rCr0wA

Flamini. :bow:

Master Splinter
23-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Flamini :bow: :bow:.

Internal solutions :bow:.

Power shifts :bow:.

Globalgunner
23-09-2015, 08:42 PM
We should shoot more. Apart from Ramsey we are not so bad at it. Pls Giroud. Arteta retire.

alexander
23-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Winning.

Scoring 3 goals.

Beats those scumbags.

On to the next game.

Marc Overmars
23-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Good win.

Spurs. :haha:

KSE Comedy Club
23-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Only we could beat a shit Spurs team and make it look like a fluke, lol.

Fair play to Flamini though, played for the shirt tonight. I've missed that heart in the team.

IBK
23-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Just what was needed. Beating the Sp*ds at their place. Niice. Flamini adding some guts to our side.

Also - I am often critical of Wenger, but I want to say that when I heard his starting line up for this match I could not have been more in agreement with it. Shame Debuchy; Arteta and even Chambers did themselves no favours with their performances, though.

Injury Time
23-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Spuffs :pal:
We don't need a striker :haha:
Flamini to be fined for pass to shot rate

Power n Glory
23-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Flamini! What a guy!

Overall, awful performance. Giroud was terrible. Ramsey was terrible. Ox had moments but no end product. Campbell started brightly but faded quickly. Full backs were awful. Chambers was doing good until that own goal. Not many great performances to talk about.

Kano
23-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Mattwo the little genius.

Stick him in on Saturday. Drop Arteta, stick Rambo in there, drop Giroud, sack Wenger, title is ours.

Niall_Quinn
23-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Dreadful performance but it was enough to beat a spuds team that proves the gap is wider than ever and the shadow longer.

Master Splinter
23-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Chambers and Gibbs were fine.

Debuchy, Giroud, Ramsey and Ox were shit though. Ox is just annoyingly braindead.

AFC Leveller
23-09-2015, 08:54 PM
good win at a tough place.

flamini scored two good goals, loved the run for the first one. the second one was top drawer.

carlisle at home next please, providing they hang on against liverpool.

alexander
23-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Ox is just annoyingly braindead.

A common theme with the Southampton youth academy

Niall_Quinn
23-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Tbf, Flamini's finishes make you winder what Bif and Theo are up to on the training ground. Maybe we should play Flamini up top?

Munchies
23-09-2015, 08:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnbXOgUEAAc44A.png

:bow:

Penguin
23-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Flamini :bow:

Debuchy and Chambers were absolutely awful. I hope they both get a bollocking for that performance.

Kano
23-09-2015, 09:02 PM
chambers had a solid game. Shouldn't be slaughtered for one mistake. Looks far better at CB. Debuchy on the other hand...

Munchies
23-09-2015, 09:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnbZQpUwAASS8B.jpg

:lol:

https://twitter.com/Podolski10/status/646788365853954049

Podolski on social media :bow:

AFC Leveller
23-09-2015, 09:09 PM
shef wednesday away.

Penguin
23-09-2015, 09:13 PM
chambers had a solid game. Shouldn't be slaughtered for one mistake. Looks far better at CB. Debuchy on the other hand...

It wasn't even the own goal, which I thought was a bit unlucky. It was his positioning in general, it was awful. A decent team would have punished us.

He is better at CB but it looks like there's a lot of work to be done before he can start playing.

Munchies
23-09-2015, 09:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnYTcKU8AA7WJ2.png

Great pic :bow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnZ8KZUsAAXUpq.png

Injury Time
23-09-2015, 09:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnYTcKU8AA7WJ2.png

Great pic :bow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnZ8KZUsAAXUpq.png
No doubt evidence of Flamini punching a spurs player :redcard:

Kano
23-09-2015, 09:21 PM
It wasn't even the own goal, which I thought was a bit unlucky. It was his positioning in general, it was awful. A decent team would have punished us.

He is better at CB but it looks like there's a lot of work to be done before he can start playing.

He wasn't helped by Debuchy who constantly left the right hand side wide open, meaning the whole line was spread apart. That leg break was a blessing in disguise after all.

Heisenberg
23-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Only the league cup so not that big of a deal but always nice to beat Spurs :scarf:

Syn
23-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Ended up being far easier than expected. Haven't had an easier game there for over 10 years. They're in serious trouble.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-09-2015, 10:31 PM
No doubt evidence of Flamini punching a spurs player :redcard:

Ever the optimist....

Munchies
23-09-2015, 11:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnZM7XU8AA6TFh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPnZO0XVAAA7gWK.jpg

:haha:

Niall_Quinn
23-09-2015, 11:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BK3dSCqCYAAR7Ff.png

Syn
23-09-2015, 11:22 PM
https://twitter.com/skybet/status/646785627099234304

selassie
24-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Sweet victory, at least we have put those bandits back in their rightful place for the time being. Considering the line up I thought we did OK, Flams took both his goals really well, never realised he had it in him!

Xhaka Can’t
24-09-2015, 08:55 AM
I haven't seen the match so others than the goals, I know little about Flamini's performance.

Has he made a case for starting the next match?

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I haven't seen the match so others than the goals, I know little about Flamini's performance.

Has he made a case for starting the next match?

The team performance was very poor and we were up against an even poorer opponent. Not much can be taken from the game. As an individual Flamini played like a throwback to the (still recent) days when players had bollocks and put their back into the game. He got the basics right, tackling, hustle, trap a ball, watch the ball, get your position right, strike the ball, hit the target. What we could benefit from is the rest of the team taking note and following his lead. But I don't think there's a place for Flamini in the tippy tappy circus.

Marc Overmars
24-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Flamini is not very good. We're in trouble if we require him to play for a sustained period of time.

Incredible moment for him last night though, so fair play.

Power n Glory
24-09-2015, 10:05 AM
A great moment for Flamini. Let's hope he has something to prove to the manager this season because he was the only one that came out of that game looking like he could land a first team place.

Ox looked like he tried but needs to find his end product.

Everyone else has a lot of work to do. Giroud shouldn't be anywhere near the first team with that performance. Didn't win the ball in the air, never held it up or brought anyone into play, can't create chances for himself and fluffs his line when given a chance on goal.

Ramsey hasn't made a case for himself starting in the centre. Poor performance. No influence in the middle and must do a lot better if he wants to take his place back.

Gibbs and Debuchy won't win their spots back. Debuchy looks finished. Campbell had a bright start and just faded badly. These guys can thank a Flamini for getting them through to the next round. Might have been a long time before any of these guys get a start if we had gone out.

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Giroud was winning the ball in the air tbf (at least until he stopped jumping), but he wasn't retaining possession. He'd get up just ahead of the defender but direction was always random. He never won anything convincingly, he did nothing to hold the ball and allow others to get up the field. Embarrassingly for him, when Alexis came on (all 3 foot 2 of him) he got up and won at least one header, directing the ball to a teammate. There's no real excuse for Giroud, either his confidence has collapsed and he can't handle it or he can't be bothered. I'd say it's the latter because a lack of confidence doesn't stop you running at least. He's been given another year and he won't have a problem finding a club if we decide to move him on, I doubt he's that worried by a horribly inconsistent Theo either. No incentive. This is why we had to bring the competition in during the summer. But that was impossible because there's nobody available out there who is better than Giroud. Right.

Bit harsh on Debuchy. He can't be finished if he's only just started. Don't forget, he's coming back from what must have been an utterly depressing start to his Arsenal career, he's playing in a shambolic Wenger system, he needs time to find his game again. He probably won't get that time though. Bit of a shame because I think he's a decent enough player.

Gibbs though. He saved us on the line, he showed a few moments going forward, but his general defensive display doesn't look like it has progressed in years. If anything he's going backwards. Of course the same shambolic Wenger system won't help him but would have expected more from him by this stage. Of course the same can be said for so many youngsters at the club.

Injury Time
24-09-2015, 10:44 AM
10 fans arrested but Arsenal/ Spuffs won't be punished

Gooner23
24-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Always happy to get a win over the spuds, but as said a poor performance against a very average team.

Giroud was pathetic last night, like a sulky teenager moping about the pitch.

Arteta and Flamini did ok, but against better players they will be found out.

I was really confident in the summer that our current squad was good, even without the signings I think everyone wanted. How quickly things change!

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2015, 12:13 PM
10 fans arrested but Arsenal/ Spuffs won't be punished

Hopefully the club itself will take steps. My lad has been to a couple of games recently and I'd rather not have to worry about advertising hoardings falling on his head. I'd never have taken him on the terraces at the old grounds, not until he was older anyway. But if we're going to have a squeaky environment that offers fun and thrills for all the family, etc, etc, then the club needs to act to ensure that's what we are getting.

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2015, 12:18 PM
...and the man whose mouth is always open was denied by a brilliant clearance off the line from Kieran Gibbs – who ought to be knighted for services to the world so we don’t have to endure endless replays of Kane’s scissor kick goal making him the best player ever again. As it is, Mathieu Flamini has scored more goals at White Hart Lane than him so far this season.

http://arseblog.com/2015/09/sprs-1-2-arsenal-someone-call-a-flambulance/

Özim
24-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Happy with a win against Spurs, you never want to lose to them and to be honest I'd want us to compete for all 4 trophies like we use to. even though I know we won't.

Didn't see the game but it seems we played poorly, it's a win though I guess.

selassie
24-09-2015, 02:15 PM
A great moment for Flamini. Let's hope he has something to prove to the manager this season because he was the only one that came out of that game looking like he could land a first team place.

Ox looked like he tried but needs to find his end product.

Everyone else has a lot of work to do. Giroud shouldn't be anywhere near the first team with that performance. Didn't win the ball in the air, never held it up or brought anyone into play, can't create chances for himself and fluffs his line when given a chance on goal.

Ramsey hasn't made a case for himself starting in the centre. Poor performance. No influence in the middle and must do a lot better if he wants to take his place back.

Gibbs and Debuchy won't win their spots back. Debuchy looks finished. Campbell had a bright start and just faded badly. These guys can thank a Flamini for getting them through to the next round. Might have been a long time before any of these guys get a start if we had gone out.

Agree with all of this. Ox's form is really starting to worry me, I don't know whether it's confidence but his decision making is pretty shambolic. He did a few decent things in the game yesterday, he played a big part in the opening goal but he just doesn't seem like he's going to kick on and he really lacks an end product, it's become a bit of an issue now IMO. Ramsey is a worry too..if he was trying to make a case to play for us in the Centre then he did himself no favours last night, he constantly gave the ball away and was running into blind alleys. Again he did do a few good things yesterday, he made a couple of killer passes, but overall he was disappointing.

The less said about Giroud the better. I agree regarding the fullbacks, Debuchy had a mare yesterday, though Joel Campbell didn't really do him any favours, saying that Debuchy has been really poor in his appearances for us this season. Gibbs is just Gibbs, he's a level below Monreal.

Back onto Joel Campbell, I've not been impressed with him so far, he comes across a bit like a headless chicken, aimless running with no end product, though I am not sure why he was playing on the right last night. There is a lot of work to be done on the first team regulars let alone their backups..it's worrying.

Niall_Quinn
24-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Campbell is a team player, and a solid one. He'll run all day for his team mates and he's positive, always looking to push on. He's a good player but Arsenal is the wrong club for him. He will never do well in one of Wenger's headless chicken, leaderless, freestyle set-ups. But stick him in an organised team that is working as a unit and I think he'll do well. He should look for a move in the summer, surprised he didn't go this summer. Wenger probably kept him around in case the unthinkable happened and Giroud and Theo failed to set the scoring charts in fire.

Injury Time
24-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Campbell is a team player, and a solid one. He'll run all day for his team mates and he's positive, always looking to push on. He's a good player but Arsenal is the wrong club for him. He will never do well in one of Wenger's headless chicken, leaderless, freestyle set-ups. But stick him in an organised team that is working as a unit and I think he'll do well. He should look for a move in the summer, surprised he didn't go this summer. Wenger probably kept him around in case the unthinkable happened and Giroud and Theo failed to set the scoring charts in fire.
Only reason Campbell is still here is due to the death of Wellsick :rose:.

AFC Leveller
24-09-2015, 10:33 PM

Agree. He offers something different. I thought he looked decent yesterday considering he hasnt played much and wenger hates him.

mastermind84
25-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Didn't win the ball in the air,

not defending Giroud's overall performance, but this is completely untrue. He won 10 aerial duels

mastermind84
25-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Agree with all of this. Ox's form is really starting to worry me, I don't know whether it's confidence but his decision making is pretty shambolic. He did a few decent things in the game yesterday, he played a big part in the opening goal but he just doesn't seem like he's going to kick on and he really lacks an end product, it's become a bit of an issue now IMO.

Ox is just not that good.

He wasnt helped being played on the left, but he is just not a good player.

Power n Glory
25-09-2015, 06:24 AM
not defending Giroud's overall performance, but this is completely untrue. He won 10 aerial duels

Source? I need a site/app that covers the Carling Cup so I could be wrong.

10 is a high number and has to be a record for Giroud. 10 out of what? We must have been totally pubbing it up to win 10 aerial battles.

But from what I saw of that game he wasn't helping us hold possession or pin Spurs in their half. It was a really bad performance.

Power n Glory
25-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Agree with all of this. Ox's form is really starting to worry me, I don't know whether it's confidence but his decision making is pretty shambolic. He did a few decent things in the game yesterday, he played a big part in the opening goal but he just doesn't seem like he's going to kick on and he really lacks an end product, it's become a bit of an issue now IMO. Ramsey is a worry too..if he was trying to make a case to play for us in the Centre then he did himself no favours last night, he constantly gave the ball away and was running into blind alleys. Again he did do a few good things yesterday, he made a couple of killer passes, but overall he was disappointing.

The less said about Giroud the better. I agree regarding the fullbacks, Debuchy had a mare yesterday, though Joel Campbell didn't really do him any favours, saying that Debuchy has been really poor in his appearances for us this season. Gibbs is just Gibbs, he's a level below Monreal.

Back onto Joel Campbell, I've not been impressed with him so far, he comes across a bit like a headless chicken, aimless running with no end product, though I am not sure why he was playing on the right last night. There is a lot of work to be done on the first team regulars let alone their backups..it's worrying.

I'm not really worried by Ox that much. I think he just needs a consistent run in the team to get the little details right like not switching off on defence or playing a better final ball. He may just be forcing it and needs to relax. It's good to hear Wenger say he's hard on himself but I hope he's giving him more to go on then this quasi-Bruce Lee 'art of expression' philosophy.

"He is growing. You feel the evolution has a sense of responsibility. I think Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain must believe more in himself. He must believe more in his talent and that will help him develop as a player. I think sometimes he is too critical of himself. I would like him to play with the freedom and express the desire of his talent.”

I hope he's giving him technical and tactical tips because every time I hear Wenger give advice on a player or what went wrong with our game, it's mostly all mental. But he can help Ox relax a bit more and play with freedom if he isn't dropped every other game and he doesn't see a CM playing in the role he should be starting this season. That can't be helping. I think if he had a run in the team we'd see more from him. He should be getting more games and probably the one player that should be starting out of that bunch. I see no reason why we're playing Ramsey there. It just hampers the development of two promising players.

I think Campbell is another player with potential but he really can't afford a slow game like that. He won't get a chance unless we're down on injuries or he plays a complete blinder. He needs to really show his worth in these sort of games. Just seems a bit rough and hasn't adapted to the league just yet but again, it's going to be hard to go from zero to hero just like that. I hope he does.

Kano
25-09-2015, 07:47 AM

That definitely needs more qualifying. Winning an aerial dual doesn't mean they are useful to the team. What would make this a worthwhile stat would be knowing what happened to the ball as a direct result of those. If 6/7 of those ended up with the ball going out of play, ending up with the opposition etc it becomes pretty meaningless.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Ox is just not that good.

He wasnt helped being played on the left, but he is just not a good player.

If you mean he's not the rounded and finished article, that's true. But he has huge talent. Just needs somebody to work with him and teach him how to apply that talent. Legend goes Wenger is the ideal man for that job, but watching Ox's decision making on Wednesday makes you wonder what's happening on the training pitch.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2015, 08:05 AM

He got his head on the ball ahead of the defender, but not in a controlled manner that allowed him to ever direct it and retain possession. In the second half he gave up jumping for it. It's another case of Wenger placing his faith in a player who was always unlikely to deliver at the required level.

mastermind84
25-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Source? I need a site/app that covers the Carling Cup so I could be wrong.

10 is a high number and has to be a record for Giroud. 10 out of what? We must have been totally pubbing it up to win 10 aerial battles.

But from what I saw of that game he wasn't helping us hold possession or pin Spurs in their half. It was a really bad performance.
I got it off WhoScored.com

That definitely needs more qualifying. Winning an aerial dual doesn't mean they are useful to the team. What would make this a worthwhile stat would be knowing what happened to the ball as a direct result of those. If 6/7 of those ended up with the ball going out of play, ending up with the opposition etc it becomes pretty meaningless.

He got his head on the ball ahead of the defender, but not in a controlled manner that allowed him to ever direct it and retain possession. In the second half he gave up jumping for it. It's another case of Wenger placing his faith in a player who was always unlikely to deliver at the required level.
No where in my post did I say Giroud played well. I didn't even say his headers lead to anything substantial, just that he won 10 aerial duels which was more than any other player on the pitch.

mastermind84
25-09-2015, 09:58 AM
If you mean he's not the rounded and finished article, that's true. But he has huge talent. Just needs somebody to work with him and teach him how to apply that talent. Legend goes Wenger is the ideal man for that job, but watching Ox's decision making on Wednesday makes you wonder what's happening on the training pitch.
Oxlade-Chamberlain is not a huge talent. Our fans get suckered into thinking these players are better talents that they are because Wenger plays them at age 12 due to a lack of options.

I do think he I one of those guys that needs clear instruction because he is brainless but we have seen huge talents at Arsenal. We see them at similar ages in the premier league, Oxlade-Chamberlain ain't it. He can't dribble with his head up. He also makes the wrong runs, which is seriously annoying.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2015, 10:06 AM

No where in my post did I say Giroud played well. I didn't even say his headers lead to anything substantial, just that he won 10 aerial duels which was more than any other player on the pitch.

Nowhere did I say you claimed Giroud played well. I'm saying the even when his stats appear decent he's not productive.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Oxlade-Chamberlain is not a huge talent. Our fans get suckered into thinking these players are better talents that they are because Wenger plays them at age 12 due to a lack of options.

I do think he I one of those guys that needs clear instruction because he is brainless but we have seen huge talents at Arsenal. We see them at similar ages in the premier league, Oxlade-Chamberlain ain't it. He can't dribble with his head up. He also makes the wrong runs, which is seriously annoying.

He influences games, sometimes in our favour and sometimes not. He's confident in his own abilities, even though the end result is not always there. He's positive and would rather press forward than play it sideways or square. He has enough pace to be dangerous. He's prepared to shoot at goal rather than bottle it and pass the responsibility. He has plenty going for him and glimpses of his natural talent can regularly be seen. He needs a decent coach now to bring his game together. He's not going to get that coaching at Arsenal, unless things change dramatically. Big shame but we've seen the same thing with many players now. Makes you wonder if it is the player who has to help Wenger along rather than the other way around.

Power n Glory
25-09-2015, 10:31 AM

It's a lot for a centre forward. We were really pubbing it up. But as Kano and NQ say, it wasn't productive and that's what I mean Giroud.
He's not knocking them down to our midfield and he's not a beast in the box that attacks the ball if ever whipped into the box. But cheers for the stat site.

mastermind84
25-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Nowhere did I say you claimed Giroud played well. I'm saying the even when his stats appear decent he's not productive.

It's a lot for a centre forward. We were really pubbing it up. But as Kano and NQ say, it wasn't productive and that's what I mean Giroud.
He's not knocking them down to our midfield and he's not a beast in the box that attacks the ball if ever whipped into the box. But cheers for the stat site.
no prob

and Giroud is pretty much void of confidence right now. He is awful. Just want to keep it factual with his awfulness.

He influences games, sometimes in our favour and sometimes not. He's confident in his own abilities, even though the end result is not always there. He's positive and would rather press forward than play it sideways or square. He has enough pace to be dangerous. He's prepared to shoot at goal rather than bottle it and pass the responsibility. He has plenty going for him and glimpses of his natural talent can regularly be seen. He needs a decent coach now to bring his game together. He's not going to get that coaching at Arsenal, unless things change dramatically. Big shame but we've seen the same thing with many players now. Makes you wonder if it is the player who has to help Wenger along rather than the other way around.
I just dont see a big talent in him. And he has been at Arsenal for 4 seasons and is still raw. If he did not have the price tag, he would have been shipped out.

Penguin
25-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Give the boy a chance, in his first three seasons he only started 2 games, 5 games and 3 games in all competitions. The first time he got a real, uninterrupted run in the team was last season and he not only impressed, but was one of our most dangerous attackers.

He has plenty of talent. The challenge now for him is staying fit and adding an end product to his game. Wenger and Ox have both said as much in preseason, so let's see if he steps up to the challenge.

A Gunner
25-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Gabriel suspended for one match.

Niall_Quinn
25-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Gabriel suspended for one match.

Small price to pay for Mike Dean being relegated to the lower leagues.

Oh no wait - that didn't happen. Dean has walked away from this untouched, hasn't he?

adzzzbatch
25-09-2015, 06:49 PM
So wait a sec. Gabriel is banned for one match due to his refusal to leave the pitch over a red card that was shown to him which the FA then overturned due to it being unjust? WTF?

alexander
25-09-2015, 08:45 PM
So wait a sec. Gabriel is banned for one match due to his refusal to leave the pitch over a red card that was shown to him which the FA then overturned due to it being unjust? WTF?

Only in the land of the FA can this make any sense! Utter jokers, shambles.