PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Pub Team Olympiakos (Home).

Munchies
29-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Alexis :wave:

cheesy bites
29-09-2015, 08:50 PM
I honestly believe that anyone who still wants Wenger as manager at this point wants to purposely see Arsenal fail.

I wonder where Pep will play Ozil next season. Gotze's still there and Muller and Costa have the flanks.

Kano
29-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Which one was the pub team in thread title?

McNamara That Ghost...
29-09-2015, 08:52 PM
You know, it may not have been a good idea failing in signing an outfield player.

LDG
29-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Perhaps consistency means consistently shit?

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 08:54 PM
I think it's too early to judge this.

Ernesto
29-09-2015, 08:55 PM
This is very depressing. It's like 1999 all over again.

Hapless.

Penguin
29-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Remember the days when we used to complain about getting knocked out in the quarter finals by the first good team we played against?

Ah the good old days. We didn't realise what a genius Wenger used to be.

Maestro
29-09-2015, 08:56 PM
what a shaggy dog story

Gooner23
29-09-2015, 08:56 PM
There were no players better than Arteta, Flamini, Campbell, Giroud. Simply not possible to improve on them.

On the plus side, Chelsea are just as shit.

Kano
29-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Hapless.

At least we won't have to suffer the indignity of gagging over a Utd treble.

Master Splinter
I quite enjoyed the lunacy, so it's hard to be annoyed.

The team was all over the place, with Ozil and Oxlade particularly drunk on the night, but when your keeper throws the ball into his own net, there's no hope.

Koscielny out for the season too.

Cazorla, Bellerin and Gabriel to faint with a liitle ankle in the first five minutes on Sunday.

alexander
Just when you think this team can let you down again, they do.
Looking at the team, we have good players, as good as most top teams in PL and CL barring a few. It must be the manager not lining them up right, or instilling some passion.
Just really fed up of supporting this team now. No joy from it, I literally never know what team will tip up for a game!

selassie
We really have been pretty awful this season. Tonight was like a panto and further reinforces not only the limitations of this team but also of Wenger. Wenger is absolutely finished at the top level, he's a relic. The mistakes he is making are there for all to see and he has absolutely nothing or no one to hide behind. This is his mess and I don't think he can get us out of it.

Master Splinter
29-09-2015, 08:58 PM

Great album tbf and not at all depressing.

Power n Glory
29-09-2015, 08:59 PM
The bright side of not spending....money in the pot for the next manager....that's if those cowards decide to sack him. Probably not. How will Stan pick up his annual £3m a consultancy fee?

But money isn't the issue here. This is tactical. He benches our only signing, a world class keeper in a must win game just to appease some peasant midget keeper that fucks up on the night!

Our record signing is having a mare and creating zilch for us but instead of hauling him or Cazorla off, he takes off Coquelin so he can throw on another attacker. Ramsey had an impact. More than what Ozil and Cazorla but it unbalanced us and that's how we conceded that third killer goal.

It was a poor day at the office for midfield and defence. Very poor.

Power n Glory
29-09-2015, 09:01 PM
I quite enjoyed the lunacy, so it's hard to be annoyed.

The team was all over the place, with Ozil and Oxlade particularly drunk on the night, but when your keeper throws the ball into his own net, there's no hope.

Koscielny out for the season too.

Cazorla, Bellerin and Gabriel to faint with a liitle ankle in the first five minutes on Sunday.

I didn't enjoy that. Came close to breaking my lap top when that third goal went in. Usually chuckle away at such games but this one really pissed me off.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Shocking defeat. It's going to take a miracle to get out of this group now, this is a massive embarrassment.

It's about time the manger is called out for his record in this competition. People are always quick to point out how consistent we are in qualifying for it but our actual performance in it always seems to be secondary. I'm sorry to say but Wenger is pound for pound a terrible manager at least as far as the Champions League is concerned. No one else has had 18 consecutive years to learn and improve, yet somehow we're as far away as we've ever been from being competitive.

Honestly, I would rather have a crack at the Europa League. We might not even get that at this rate though.

Unbelievable.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:02 PM
The bright side of not spending....money in the pot for the next manager....that's if those cowards decide to sack him. Probably not. How will Stan pick up his annual £3m a consultancy fee?

But money isn't the issue here. This is tactical. He benches our only signing, a world class keeper in a must win game just to appease some peasant midget keeper that fucks up on the night!

Our record signing is having a mare and creating zilch for us but instead of hauling him or Cazorla off, he takes off Coquelin so he can throw on another attacker. Ramsey had an impact. More than what Ozil and Cazorla but it unbalanced us and that's how we conceded that third killer goal.

It was a poor day at the office for midfield and defence. Very poor.

How many subs have you made in your career? 10,000? 1,000? 10?

1?

Thought so. You should get behind the team.

Globalgunner
29-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Myopic Dunderheads who still think Wenger knows what he's doing.
Couldn't win this competition if you gave him a squad of the two best players from every league in European football.
A team made worse than the sum of its parts by a faulty calculator of a manager.
A shyster sponging off a football club, pretending to be looking out for its best interests.
Rassamfassam Arsene Dastardly.

Xhaka Can’t
29-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Our record signing is having a mare and creating zilch for us but instead of hauling him or Cazorla off, he takes off Coquelin so he can throw on another attacker. Ramsey had an impact.

Yeah.

If you were sat midway up the upper tier.

selassie
29-09-2015, 09:04 PM
H
Shocking defeat. It's going to take a miracle to get out of this group now, this is a massive embarrassment.

It's about time the manger is called out for his record in this competition. People are always quick to point out how consistent we are in qualifying for it but our actual performance in it always seems to be secondary. I'm sorry to say but Wenger is pound for pound a terrible manager at least as far as the Champions League is concerned. No one else has had 18 consecutive years to learn and improve, yet somehow we're as far away as we've ever been from being competitive.

Honestly, I would rather have a crack at the Europa League. We might not even get that at this rate though.

Unbelievable.

I honestly don't think we would win the Europa, we'd somehow make a mess of that too. Let's be honest we're getting beaten by Europa league level clubs in CL on a fairly regular basis now.

Power n Glory
29-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Unbelievable.

Do you remember when we lost the UEFA Cup final or whatever the competition was called back then to Galatasaray?

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Great album tbf and not at all depressing.

:lol:

Penguin
29-09-2015, 09:08 PM
When has Wenger ever rested his first choice keeper in the CL? Did he wake up one morning and think of a new way to fuck over our club?

WTF is our board doing keeping this guy in charge. It's like a wife begging her husband to stay with her after he fucks her sister and her best friend. They just keep throwing more money into his bank account.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:13 PM
When has Wenger ever rested his first choice keeper in the CL? Did he wake up one morning and think of a new way to fuck over our club?

WTF is our board doing keeping this guy in charge. It's like a wife begging her husband to stay with her after he fucks her sister and her best friend. They just keep throwing more money into his bank account.

The papers report Ospina has a contractual agreement he'll play in certain games. If true, the manager should be sacked, simple as. If not true then the journos should be sacked, although they should be sacked anyway for loads of other shit. As should our manager, now I think about it.

Heisenberg
Shameful performance.

Kano
Wenger holding his hands up after by blaming bad luck and good Olympiakos defending.

Master Splinter
29-09-2015, 09:14 PM
So how will they outdo this and, more pertinently, other recent defeats to United on Sunday? Last season's dominate and shambolically concede two on the break would be the obvious answer, especially after today's treat, but they'll surely have something quite innovative in store too.

Alexis hat-trick to go 3-0 up and Ox with a quartet of own goals in the second half?

Ospina comes on and throws one in on the 98th minute for a laugh to hand us a 0-1 defeat?

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Anyone had the guts to looks at the news sites yet? Will probably give that a miss until well after the Utd loss.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:15 PM
Wenger holding his hands up after by blaming bad luck and good Olympiakos defending.

I noticed that tbf. Those bastards defended for the whole 90 mins and the ref did fuck all about it.

Dein-machine
29-09-2015, 09:19 PM
The stadium plan was supposed to put us in with the European elite. The difference between us & where we should be is simply summed up tonight. When we went 1-0 down, Bayern were 3-0 up. Lewandowski would have finished the 2 early chances that Ox & Theo had and the game would have been won. They have to come out & attacking leaving the space needed to smack 5 passed them. Exactly like Bayern did.
Bayern haven't had an oligarch buy them out. They have bought quality players without spending £80 mill+ like a Barca or Madrid but are still at a level to compete. We are miles behind & we will see that in the next 2 games.

Gooner23
29-09-2015, 09:22 PM
And according to Ivan we would be competing with Bayern once all the extra wonga started piling in. Yet we're further away than ever it seems. Fuck the lot of them.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2015, 09:22 PM
H

I honestly don't think we would win the Europa, we'd somehow make a mess of that too. Let's be honest we're getting beaten by Europa league level clubs in CL on a fairly regular basis now.

Yep, there are plenty of capable and hungry teams in it that could turn us over on any given day. I'd like to see us have a crack at something new though because I've actually grown to resent this competition now.

Very happy I didn't bother with BT Sport this season so I don't need to witness this shite anymore.

Master Splinter
29-09-2015, 09:23 PM
I blame Letters because he's keeping Wenger in a job through determined internet pedantry and overly aggressive reasonableness.

Niall_Quinn
I blame Letters because he's keeping Wenger in a job through determined internet pedantry and overly aggressive reasonableness.

:gp:

Kano
Here's to fourth place again this season and more of the same next season. Something to look forward to at least.

Master Splinter
29-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Here's to fourth place again this season and more of the same next season. Something to look forward to at least.

As a great short man who's really short would point out, we finished third last season.

Niall_Quinn
And according to Ivan we would be competing with Bayern once all the extra wonga started piling in. Yet we're further away than ever it seems. Fuck the lot of them.

We ARE competing with them. Share price up, profits up, if our revenues continue to rise at present rates we'll overtake Bayern within the next few years. But still people moan.

Penguin
Wenger: "The turning point at 2-2 is we give them a goal again straight away. If it stays 2-2 for five minutes we win the game."

No Arsene, the turning point was when you picked the team. Or when you didn't buy players in the summer. Or when you didn't teach them how to defend set pieces. Or when you didn't teach your team to stop making the same mistakes all of the other teams you have built in the last 10 years have made.

"A goalkeeper can make a mistake that doesn't explain that we lose the game. It happened to Petr Cech already this season [against West Ham]."

.... :lol:

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:26 PM
As a great short man who's really short would point out, we finished third last season.

The same guy would point out there's no difference between 3rd and 4th.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:27 PM
No Arsene, the turning point was when you picked the team. Or when you didn't buy players in the summer. Or when you didn't teach them how to defend set pieces. Or when you didn't teach your team to stop making the same mistakes all of the other teams you have built in the last 10 years have made.

I hope you aren't suggesting he just threw Cech under a bus to distract from his own arse hanging out?

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:28 PM

Progress :bow:

Marc Overmars
29-09-2015, 09:28 PM

He needs to be put out to pasture.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:30 PM

He'll probably milk it and sign another contract.

adzzzbatch
29-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Unbelievable.

I could not agree more. top post. Wenger has had such an easy ride when it come to the CL it's about time he was called in to question.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:33 PM
I could not agree more. top post. Wenger has had such an easy ride when it come to the CL it's about time he was called in to question.

Thank you for your interest in his affairs.

Master Splinter
29-09-2015, 09:34 PM

We must observe the harvest period.

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:34 PM
18 shots at goal

70% possession

Great performance but still people moan about the result.

adzzzbatch
29-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Thank you for your interest in his affairs.

:good:

Marc Overmars
29-09-2015, 09:38 PM

Maybe he's just given up and treating the CL as a European equivalent to the League Cup this year.

If we beat United (:haha:) I'll forget about tonight because I'd rather see a title challenge than anything further in this competition.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:39 PM
18 shots at goal

70% possession

Great performance but still people moan about the result.

It's only on GW tbf.

selassie
29-09-2015, 09:39 PM
The stadium plan was supposed to put us in with the European elite. The difference between us & where we should be is simply summed up tonight. When we went 1-0 down, Bayern were 3-0 up. Lewandowski would have finished the 2 early chances that Ox & Theo had and the game would have been won. They have to come out & attacking leaving the space needed to smack 5 passed them. Exactly like Bayern did.
Bayern haven't had an oligarch buy them out. They have bought quality players without spending £80 mill+ like a Barca or Madrid but are still at a level to compete. We are miles behind & we will see that in the next 2 games.

Back in the days when Wenger was trying to build a team out of "test tube babies" in the days of project youth he rightly got given a pass and looking back actually did pretty well in CL and to a lesser extent in PL given that he use to sell off half the team every other season. These days he has nowhere to hide and quite frankly I think he is doing a terrible job, we have somehow managed to have gotten worse this season despite all the posturing from the players in the summer about title challenges and going for the big trophies.

Everything is in place for us to be an elite club and right now IMO one man is holding us back. I accept it's not just about splurging and buying new players every summer but we have a man who is not even getting the basic rights with the personnel he currently has. He is not using his resources correctly, he is quite simply making HUGE mistakes now that are holding this football club back.

Wenger absolutely has to go, right now I wouldn't be bothered if he tendered his resignation tonight.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Back in the days when Wenger was trying to build a team out of "test tube babies" in the days of project youth he rightly got given a pass and looking back actually did pretty well in CL and to a lesser extent in PL given that he use to sell off half the team every other season. These days he has nowhere to hide and quite frankly I think he is doing a terrible job, we have somehow managed to have gotten worse this season despite all the posturing from the players in the summer about title challenges and going for the big trophies.

Everything is in place for us to be an elite club and right now IMO one man is holding us back. I accept it's not just about splurging and buying new players every summer but we have a man who is not even getting the basic rights with the personnel he currently has. He is not using his resources correctly, he is quite simply making HUGE mistakes now that are holding this football club back.

Wenger absolutely has to go, right now I wouldn't be bothered if he tendered his resignation tonight.

Are you forgetting we won the FA Cup?

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:42 PM
I'd rather see a title challenge...

Sorry, just assuming you're joking.

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:43 PM

Twice. And beat City and Utd away. The signs are there.

adzzzbatch
29-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Maybe he's just given up and treating the CL as a European equivalent to the League Cup this year.

If we beat United (:haha:) I'll forget about tonight because I'd rather see a title challenge than anything further in this competition.

Well he as ALWAYS said that the league is his priority as it is the biggest measure of a team over a season. So maybe we should judge him after Sunday :lol:

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Twice. And beat City and Utd away. The signs are there.

Wigan won the FA Cup and got relegated. We didn't. So what's your point?

selassie
29-09-2015, 09:46 PM

:p

Yeah I know it's progress. We shall judge him at the end of the season.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Well he as ALWAYS said that the league is his priority as it is the biggest measure of a team over a season. So maybe we should judge him after Sunday :lol:

You mean wait until the case is cast iron, bang to rights? Seems fair.

selassie
29-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Would anybody apart from Wenger :rolleyes: be that surprised if United beat us on Sunday the exact same way they have beaten for the last 10 seasons?

P.S. Even Fergie dedicated a chapter in his book about it, Van Gaal already has his team talk laid out, read an extract out of Fergie's book.

Kano
29-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Wigan won the FA Cup and got relegated. We didn't. So what's your point?

If we don't put in a title challenge then Wenger deserves to be sacked.

At the end of his next contract.

Bumble
29-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Utter shambles.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 09:58 PM
If we don't put in a title challenge then Wenger deserves to be sacked.

At the end of his next contract.

Sacked :haha:

Behave!

Two FA Cups. Qualified for the Champions League (that's "CHAMPIONS" League) for 46 years in a row. Beat Leicester 5-2. Only 2 games gone in the group stages of this year's CL, 4 remaining and a probable 12 points.

Sacked :haha:

Look, I understand we've just lost to a bunch of absolute pubbers at home, but what I can't stand about this place is the knee jerking.

Marc Overmars
29-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Just seen the Ospina own goal, fuck me!

Stupid decision to leave Cech out.

Power n Glory
29-09-2015, 09:59 PM

Twice. And we signed Ozil, Sanchez and Cech. That's progress!

This is all hyperbole. You're all on the WUM. This is a classic case of knee jerk reactions. We didn't play that badly. Chelsea and City have been just as bad in this competition.

Niall_Quinn
29-09-2015, 10:02 PM

He had little bit knee.

Also PM me for Paypal details if you want to buy this.

http://img.posterlounge.de/images/wbig/english-school-blick-auf-die-alte-london-bridge-146868.jpg

IBK
29-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Groundhog Day. Wenger does not have to answer to anyone and his teams could not reflect this more. No plan; no organisation; no learning from mistakes. No progress. Look at our CL group. Bottom. No points. Below Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiacos - both of whom have rolled us easily.

We are a rudderless shambles of a team.

Injury Time
29-09-2015, 10:21 PM
I feel sorry for Sanchez, the rest :banghead: :ilt:.

Nice momentum built for Sunday little bit :clap: :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
29-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Don't count your chickens.

At the rate we're regressing in Europe, we might just manage to go out against Locomotiv Plovdiv in the qualifier.

Injury Time
29-09-2015, 10:24 PM

At the rate we're regressing in Europe, we might just manage to go out against Locomotiv Plovdiv in the qualifier.

Apparently WUMger would've signed Plodiv but did not think they would sell him.

Xhaka Can’t
29-09-2015, 10:30 PM

Nobody could have foreseen that.

Kano
29-09-2015, 10:32 PM

We'll get Putin to send over support. That way we can keep our dictator in place too.

Letters
29-09-2015, 10:42 PM
:doh:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Lovely news to get home to.....Least my dinner tastes good. Suppose I'll watch it sometime this week to see what on earth happened.

fakeyank
30-09-2015, 02:39 AM
Glad I didnt watch this shower of shite last night.

Wenger :bow:

Maestro
30-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Fuck, so it was all a dream! Woke up and realised wenget is still our manager �� silly me and my naively creative dreams

Maestro
30-09-2015, 05:40 AM
Anyway do have yourselves a good day, we can get only laugh this off. Really not worth getting wound up by wumget and his batshit methods

Gooner23
30-09-2015, 06:05 AM
I did not zee it

Ernesto
30-09-2015, 06:43 AM
A benefit of this debacle is not actually having subscribed to BT Sport. It saves the ignominy of having to endure replays of this shambles to death.

Pretty much agree with what everyone is saying about Wenger (facetiously or not). Going into a European game, it really feels like we've got an old-fashioned English manager at the helm. Some Howard Wilkinson substitute who is incredibly clueless on a European night.

"Keep on, lads. Let's do what we were doing at t'weekend. Out-run em. Let em know we're there. I wouldn't worry that t'refs are trigger happy with their cards in Europe..."

Static
30-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Lol. What more can be said?

Letters
30-09-2015, 07:17 AM

Well, I do think the Utd game is important in terms of our title prospects.
But ultimately you judge any manager at any club in any season at the end.
Every season has ups and downs, it's only at the end you can properly assess how things have gone.
It's very 'GW' how such an obviously true statement is lampooned and used as a basis for so much WUMming :lol:

This CL campaign has been a fiasco so far. Although Wenger's generally got a poor record in the CL we've pretty much always qualified from the group. Didn't see last night's game so can't comment sensibly on it but...yeah, you probably should be beating Olympiarcos at home fairly comfortably :doh:

Letters
30-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Judge me at the end of the season :angry:

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2015, 07:23 AM
It isn't lampooning Letters. You've become a parody of yourself through your posts over the past couple of months.

Nobody needs to wait another Nanosecond to judge Wenger. If this was The equivalent of David Moyes in his first season, I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. But it isn't, we have a mountain of evidence built up over a large period of time that provides conclusive data demonstrating that a judgement can reasonably be made right here and right now.

Wenger is not up to the job and is showing no sign at all of proving otherwise.

Letters
30-09-2015, 07:28 AM
I think if we lose to Utd I will finally snap.
Then GW will be a dark, dark place.

You'll miss my cheery reasonableness, you know...

Penguin
30-09-2015, 07:33 AM
I kind of want us to lose now just to see that happen :lol:

Letters
30-09-2015, 07:38 AM
:lol: This place would just implode I think.

AFC Leveller
30-09-2015, 07:49 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/12063527_1597409933632550_5141591891539000448_n.pn g?oh=094a24237951f43bcbe0279a47130ac1&oe=56A98F86

AFC Leveller
30-09-2015, 07:51 AM
What are the odds on us finishing 4th with 0 points?

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 07:52 AM
It isn't lampooning Letters. You've become a parody of yourself through your posts over the past couple of months.

Nobody needs to wait another Nanosecond to judge Wenger. If this was The equivalent of David Moyes in his first season, I'd agree wholeheartedly with you. But it isn't, we have a mountain of evidence built up over a large period of time that provides conclusive data demonstrating that a judgement can reasonably be made right here and right now.

Wenger is not up to the job and is showing no sign at all of proving otherwise.

You said it best here.

Don't be so impatient. I'll wait to see what he does by the end of the Summer transfer window. By which time the season will have started, so it'll be impossible to judge him then.

Marc Overmars
30-09-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm willing to write off the CL if we it means mounting a title challenge. We just have to beat United to restore some credibility.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Well, I do think the Utd game is important in terms of our title prospects.
But ultimately you judge any manager at any club in any season at the end.
Every season has ups and downs, it's only at the end you can properly assess how things have gone.
It's very 'GW' how such an obviously true statement is lampooned and used as a basis for so much WUMming :lol:

This CL campaign has been a fiasco so far. Although Wenger's generally got a poor record in the CL we've pretty much always qualified from the group. Didn't see last night's game so can't comment sensibly on it but...yeah, you probably should be beating Olympiarcos at home fairly comfortably :doh:

We're out of the CL, two beatings from teams with a solid tradition of being on the rough end of beatings themselves. We haven't turned up for the competition. We're as far away from competing for this thing as we have ever been. Despite the new money, despite world class signings. We're nowhere. Why do we have to wait until the end to assess what's happened?

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 08:11 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/arsene-wenger-david-ospina-arsenal-defeat-farce-olympiakos

Wenger blamed the lack of “quality in our defensive concentration” for the defeat while he lamented bad luck, too. Olympiakos, he noted, had mustered only four shots on target but departed with three goals. “This happens once in 100 games in the Champions League,” Wenger said.

:haha:

Someone needs to take him to school on this. What's the relevance? Zagreb only managed 4 shots on goal last week and scored 2! Anderlecht came to the Emirates had 5 shots on goal and scored 3. Dortmund in 2013 at home only managed 3 shots on goal but scored 2. Schalke beat us in 2012 at home 0-2 with only 2 shots on target!

Injury Time
30-09-2015, 08:15 AM

Every cloud and all that...

Marc Overmars
30-09-2015, 08:17 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/arsene-wenger-david-ospina-arsenal-defeat-farce-olympiakos

Someone needs to take him to school on this. What's the relevance? Zagreb only managed 4 shots on goal last week and scored 2! Anderlecht came to the Emirates had 5 shots on goal and scored 3. Dortmund in 2013 at home only managed 3 shots on goal but scored 2. Schalke beat us in 2012 at home 0-2 with only 2 shots on target!

Lame ass excuses.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Wenger, the victim of cruel and outlandish statistics and bad fortune. Otherwise he'd have won this competition every year. Why does it always happen to us? How unlucky can you get?

Is that what he wants the fans to say?

Letters
30-09-2015, 08:30 AM
I'm willing to write off the CL if we it means mounting a title challenge. We just have to beat United to restore some credibility.

Pretty much. We're not going to win the CL, we should be getting out of that group but if we did win the league (:lol:) I could live with an early exit from the CL.
If we balls it up against Utd then :ilt:

Letters
30-09-2015, 08:31 AM
We're out of the CL, two beatings from teams with a solid tradition of being on the rough end of beatings themselves. We haven't turned up for the competition. We're as far away from competing for this thing as we have ever been. Despite the new money, despite world class signings. We're nowhere. Why do we have to wait until the end to assess what's happened?

Because that's not the only competition we're competing in.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 08:35 AM

I might as well spread the joy. :lol: There isn’t anything to restore. Even if we beat the breaks off Man Utd it won’t redefine our season or awaken some sort of new strength in our team because we have Wenger at the helm. Last night’s result is us all over. We suddenly look like we can find the back of the net, the press are talking up Theo, the press and pundits are now starting to believe and forgetting about our lack of signings in the summer and then we go on to do this. Bench our one signing and play like shit in defence. We’ll solve one problem but create another for ourselves. It’s an endless rut and Wenger creates the problems for himself.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Because that's not the only competition we're competing in.

Competing? You slipped that one in.

So around the end of May we'll be able to confirm Wenger REMAINS a laughing stock in terms of his record in European football? Okay.

Until then what do we do? Do we just not talk about it or do we pretend we won or something?

selassie
30-09-2015, 08:46 AM

As defeatist as this might sound so early on in the season I think the United game is more about pride than anything else. This team aint winning any major prizes with Wenger in charge, both PL & CL are write offs for me, the domestic cups are as good as we are going to get.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 08:57 AM
As defeatist as this might sound so early on in the season I think the United game is more about pride than anything else. This team aint winning any major prizes with Wenger in charge, both PL & CL are write offs for me, the domestic cups are as good as we are going to get.

We have players that need to turn up for that game. Has Ozil ever turned up for one of 'big statement' games?

Marc Overmars
30-09-2015, 09:03 AM
We have players that need to turn up for that game. Has Ozil ever turned up for one of 'big statement' games?

We know what we'll be getting from that bloke on Sunday - nothing. Too much of a fairweather.

Only hope we have of winning comes from Alexis and maybe Theo.

Letters
30-09-2015, 09:12 AM
If we balls things up on Sunday I'll agree, if we do win though then there would be a glimmer of hope - we'd be no worse than 2 points off the top if we win and while this lot clearly have the capacity to balls things up at a moments notice no-one else is looking that solid either.

*sigh*

I really don't know what to make of this lot any more...

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 09:12 AM
We know what we'll be getting from that bloke on Sunday - nothing. Too much of a fairweather.

Only hope we have of winning comes from Alexis and maybe Theo.

It seems that way. I hope we're not offering him a new contract. Not yet anyway. A huge disappointment of a player and he doesn't turn up for these must win games. Even against shit opposition.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 09:14 AM
If we balls things up on Sunday I'll agree, if we do win though then there would be a glimmer of hope - we'd be no worse than 2 points off the top if we win and while this lot clearly have the capacity to balls things up at a moments notice no-one else is looking that solid either.

*sigh*

I really don't know what to make of this lot any more...

You have to go game by game. We really don't know what will happen in that game but that doesn't bother me. It's the West Ham games or games like yesterday that will kill off our season.

selassie
30-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Aye, Nah Ozil is a massive disappointment for me, he is so weak and has yet to put in a big game performance. He has form for this too because prior to his time here one of the complaints he got from Madrid fans was that he bottled the big games.

Kano
30-09-2015, 09:19 AM

As much as we'd all love to see that happen, I can't think of a team in recent memory that have been this poor in Europe and then gone on to win the league. At least City can point to Juventus, Chelsea to Porto and Utd to PSV. Respectable teams that can turn up on the night but our two losses? Wenger has always insisted that doing well in the PL ties in with competing in the CL and vice versa, so we can't separate the two. This team cannot sustain form to go for a title challenge, we've already seen this season after ten games how erratic we are.

Letters
30-09-2015, 09:33 AM
You have to go game by game. We really don't know what will happen in that game but that doesn't bother me. It's the West Ham games or games like yesterday that will kill off our season.

It could, but the thing is all teams have those - and I'm not sure we're having them any more than anyone else, we haven't so far. Even City who once looked invincible are now looking...vincible.
Who knows any more :(

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Aye, Nah Ozil is a massive disappointment for me, he is so weak and has yet to put in a big game performance. He has form for this too because prior to his time here one of the complaints he got from Madrid fans was that he bottled the big games.

We need to do something about it. Cazorla had an off night as well. It was the same against Chelsea. They just didn't have a hold of the game.

Ramsey has been off this season but he really added something to our game when he came on last night. He needs a place back in the middle. Created two chances with his cameo appearance. The same amount Ozil created all game. Cazorla created zero chances. I don't know why these guys switch off so often but I heard they both had slow starts against Leicester as well.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 09:35 AM
What will happen to this club if Wenger opts to stay after 2017? We'll be like a branch of Boots, a place where boring, functional stuff happens so the owners can make a lot of money. If we knew Wenger was leaving when his current contract expires at least there would be something to look forward to. As it is, we could be sitting here in 2020 watching the same old shit.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 09:38 AM
It could, but the thing is all teams have those - and I'm not sure we're having them any more than anyone else, we haven't so far. Even City who once looked invincible are now looking...vincible.
Who knows any more :(

But let's focus on our team. Forget what the former Champions are doing. This is why I say there is no defining game for us. No indication of progress because we could win next week in a massive game and then lose two on the trot to teams we were odds on to beat.

selassie
30-09-2015, 09:46 AM
We need to do something about it. Cazorla had an off night as well. It was the same against Chelsea. They just didn't have a hold of the game.

Ramsey has been off this season but he really added something to our game when he came on last night. He needs a place back in the middle. Created two chances with his cameo appearance. The same amount Ozil created all game. Cazorla created zero chances. I don't know why these guys switch off so often but I heard they both had slow starts against Leicester as well.

I would personally drop Ozil for the big games, shift Ramsey to CM and Santi to AM. The fundamental issue here as we all know is the balance of the team, Wenger trying to fit all these AM's into the starting XI just messes things up.

When they are all on song it is a joy to watch but when things aren't working we get these erratic error strewn performances like last night. I agree with what you say about this team, we literally don't know what we are going to get from one game to the next.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 10:01 AM
I would personally drop Ozil for the big games, shift Ramsey to CM and Santi to AM. The fundamental issue here as we all know is the balance of the team, Wenger trying to fit all these AM's into the starting XI just messes things up.

When they are all on song it is a joy to watch but when things aren't working we get these erratic error strewn performances like last night. I agree with what you say about this team, we literally don't know what we are going to get from one game to the next.

I'd agree on that but it won't happen. He'll drop Ox and play all three. It won't help Ox. He had a poor game last night but it won't do his confidence any good. I don't know how he'll relax and not be so hard on himself, as Wenger puts it, if he's now had the spotlight put on him and then dropped. I'd play him in the next game just so we have a balanced squad. There is no point in going into the Utd game with Ramsey playing wide.

Kano
30-09-2015, 10:06 AM

And yet we know what the line-up will be on the weekend. No significant changes in personnel or positioning. Ozil starting, Ramsey out wide, Santi CM. Same old shit. Just told to go out there and 'do their thing'. I tell you, if this league was half-decent anymore, we'd be a top 8 team now. No doubt at some stage the team will go on a winning streak, when we are miles off the top of the premier, producing more fantastic calendar year stats that can be spouted by those deluded enough next season who will believe things will improve.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Depressing stuff. Just as Sanchez finds his mojo, Theo looking like a real option up front and Giroud benched, we create another problem for ourselves. Besides the midfield issue, our defence have gone back to switching off. It's never ending.

Munchies
30-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Santi has been shit for quite a few games now

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQGtgcfXAAANF3t.png

Marc Overmars
30-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Santi has been shit for quite a few games now

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQGtgcfXAAANF3t.png

He's full on morphed into Arteta.

I remember when he could take on his man and was also ruthless enough to take pot shots.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-09-2015, 10:45 AM
What will happen to this club if Wenger opts to stay after 2017? We'll be like a branch of Boots, a place where boring, functional stuff happens so the owners can make a lot of money. If we knew Wenger was leaving when his current contract expires at least there would be something to look forward to. As it is, we could be sitting here in 2020 watching the same old shit.

Why should we force Wenger to retire when it's so clear he hates his tall, plain wife?

Talk about selfish

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-09-2015, 10:48 AM

I remember when he could take on his man and was also ruthless enough to take pot shots.

Wengeritis

Debilitating and degenerative wasting disease which affects players who are constantly played out of position.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 11:26 AM

What a surprise. Arteta was forced into a role that doesn't suit him, now the same is happening to Cazorla.

Xhaka Can’t
30-09-2015, 11:29 AM
There really is nowhere to go now. The same misguided decisions are being repeated over and over again. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Cazorla is just a hit and miss player. He’s had some great games as CM and some really poor ones. And it makes no sense. He’ll run the show one week and the next it looks like he’s never played there before.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Wenger is not a Champion. He’s an arrogant fraud who hides behind glories he secured over a decade ago. He keeps his job because he keeps the cash pot brimming for an owner who doesn’t care about the club. It’s a poisonous loop we’re stuck in. One that doesn’t break until the manager leaves the club. But will he ever leave? No. Because he doesn’t need to and the management of the club don’t have the power to do what they want to.

Because get one thing straight, everyone knows the way Wenger operates is a joke. No one will be sitting in that boardroom watching that celebrating what’s going on.

So, next up, two games against Bayern Munich. A club that’s run the right way. With the right mentality. They’d have shipped Wenger off about 6 years ago, because that’s what owners with foresight do.

http://le-grove.co.uk/2015/09/30/what-would-bayern-munich-do-with-uncompetitive-arsene-wenger/

Munchies
30-09-2015, 11:58 AM

AFC Leveller
30-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Like it or not, what Mourinho said the other day was true (it doesnt matter who said it, we all know) because this man keeps losing the easiest games and not one word about his job being on the line today in the papers or among the "experts". He is a dictator who wont go unless we get relegated. He will dress this up as a slip up and say judge me in May.

selassie
30-09-2015, 12:31 PM
http://le-grove.co.uk/2015/09/30/what-would-bayern-munich-do-with-uncompetitive-arsene-wenger/

That's a really good article, totally sums it up for me and I guess a large majority of our fan base.

Kano
30-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Like it or not, what Mourinho said the other day was true (it doesnt matter who said it, we all know) because this man keeps losing the easiest games and not one word about his job being on the line today in the papers or among the "experts". He is a dictator who wont go unless we get relegated. He will dress this up as a slip up and say judge me in May.

It does matter very much who said it. I can accept that criticism from any other cunt but not that one. Nothing that comes out of that pricks mouth is ever valid.

rodders
30-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Speaking before attending a meeting of "Its a Square World Society" Arsene Wenger was confident that despite recent results which he described as a blip and mainly due to ill luck and poor officials,Arsenal will win the Premier League ,Champions League and FA Cup.

Dein-machine
30-09-2015, 02:03 PM

That's a really good article, totally sums it up for me and I guess a large majority of our fan base.

That's because its true. What's totally unacceptable is not Wenger's stance on this because none of us should be the slightest bit interested in what the arrogant fraud has to say - but the fact that the board members (most of whom are blessed with reasonable intelligence ) will also know that this statement is true & yet they do nothing about it. Forget his past success's & the part he played in bringing in the stadium, Arsenal FC have made him a very wealthy man. I have guys who have been great for my business & I'd struggle to replace them but continued failure when I've given them the resources required would suggest they are past their best & I would be acting against the company if I didn't act.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 02:10 PM

It’s true and it shouldn’t have to come to this. I just don’t get why Wenger isn’t embarrassed by his record. His record in Europe is piss poor. He’s the only manager to reside at the helm of a top team for over a decade and not win the thing. It’s a shambles. Saying that, I hope Mourinho, being the nasty piece of shit that he is, continues to jab away at Wenger until he responds on the pitch. In the right way.

Embarrassment and ridicule from a man he despises may be the only thing left that will sort his head out. We won’t get anything from the Board. Stan is happy as Larry with his ‘fees’. Wenger won’t listen to his players. Anyone that questions his methods is shipped out. He has no respect for the fans opinions and often mocks and ridicules us with patronising comments. It’s very disrespectful. And he won’t answer the press or pundits. What’s left?

Mourinho is a petty, childish prick of a man and the right sort of person to wind Wenger up. I’ve had enough of the well thought out arguments and articles from ex players, pundits or whoever else that have publically spoken out against Wenger. It gets us nowhere. Wenger needs a rival. If Mourinho’s public goading doesn’t kick him into life, nothing will. How can you not want to prove that guy wrong and show him up?

Dein-machine
30-09-2015, 02:17 PM
It does matter very much who said it. I can accept that criticism from any other cunt but not that one. Nothing that comes out of that pricks mouth is ever valid.

Not to me it doesn't - Mourinho is one of many in the football world who know what a fraud Wenger is, inc some of his old players - many of whom have been slagged off on here for their past accusations of Wenger but I think most on here now fully realise those accusations are true. You heard Stewart Robson discuss Wengers tactical coaching failures which has also been alluded to by other ex players. When you put a team out, like last night, that on paper is head & shoulders above the opposition it becomes fairly difficult to actually lose the game. If you do lose it - its normally down to poor tactics or simply very bad luck. There was nothing unlucky last night - when you concede 3 goals in the manner we did to a team like that - there is nothing to do with luck.

fakeyank
30-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Dont blame the players.. the only constant in our seasons of mediocrity is the manager. Fire that dumbass yesterday!

AFC Leveller
30-09-2015, 02:27 PM
I have always said that if you give this team to a tactically astute manager like Simeone, Klopp or even Martinez, they'd walk this league. How can you have all of these superstars and not win the league or even threaten to? Olympiacos should never come to our place and win, simple.

The manager's record in the CL in 19 years is astonishingly bad, one semi final and one final is just piss poor.

Kano
30-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Not to me it doesn't - Mourinho is one of many in the football world who know what a fraud Wenger is, inc some of his old players - many of whom have been slagged off on here for their past accusations of Wenger but I think most on here now fully realise those accusations are true. You heard Stewart Robson discuss Wengers tactical coaching failures which has also been alluded to by other ex players. When you put a team out, like last night, that on paper is head & shoulders above the opposition it becomes fairly difficult to actually lose the game. If you do lose it - its normally down to poor tactics or simply very bad luck. There was nothing unlucky last night - when you concede 3 goals in the manner we did to a team like that - there is nothing to do with luck.
I don't disagree with a word of that. Except when it comes from the mouth of such a despicable cunt like Mourinho. Then it means nothing at all. Anything that leaves his ugly curled mouth deserves to be treated with absolute contempt. We can all see the truth, we don't need to be referring to a degenerate like that as a reference point.

Marc Overmars
30-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Not sure how true this is given the timing but apparently WUMger promised Ospina CL games as a way to get him to stay in the summer. If he wasn't happy about signing Cech and being number 2 he should have been told to clear off. I can't imagine someone like Cech is best pleased to be sitting on the bench for CL games either.

Interested to see now who he selects for Bayern.

PGFC
30-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Is it now ok to hope we finish last in the group? the thought of Thursday night football is possibly worse than a letter from the pox clinic.

Maestro
30-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Not sure how true this is given the timing but apparently WUMger promised Ospina CL games as a way to get him to stay in the summer. If he wasn't happy about signing Cech and being number 2 he should have been told to clear off. I can't imagine someone like Cech is best pleased to be sitting on the bench for CL games either.

This was also reported beginning of the season in some of the rags. If there is even a grain of truth in it then Wenger should be sacked immediately. Given that your best keeper is fit and able to play, then you proceed to select your back up keeper for two consecutive important CL matches .....go figure that one out.

What pisses me off the most is the sheer contempt he has for us fans, as soon as he's pressed on any decision and bang .
there it appears. He clearly and knowingly insults our intelligence to deny and try to hide his weaknesses and regular inexplicable, lunatic decisions he is now making.

At least just come out and say I've fucked up, admit your mistakes and try to improve, but no we all don't know what the fuck we're on about, it was bad luck, the referee, a little bit sharpness .......we could not find better players than we had out there, to buy is not always the answer, we are only looking for top top quality (but it's okay to go in the market and collect the sanogos, chamacks, flaminis etc)

Fuck Right Off Wenget and your little cheerleaders, if you can't at the very least have the decency to respect the fans anymore!

Dein-machine
30-09-2015, 04:46 PM

you know who he'll select - the grief he has had over Ospina will mean his unbelievable arrogance & the fact he puts this arrogance ahead of whats actually best for AFC = Ospina will start, absolutely no doubt. The more the press & fans make a meal of it the more certain it is that Ospina will start & be allowed to throw 3 balls into his own net next time & still not be replaced. This is the manager we have.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 04:48 PM
This was also reported beginning of the season in some of the rags. If there is even a grain of truth in it then Wenger should be sacked immediately. Given that your best keeper is fit and able to play, then you proceed to select your back up keeper for two consecutive important CL matches .....go figure that one out.

What pisses me off the most is the sheer contempt he has for us fans, as soon as he's pressed on any decision and bang .
there it appears. He clearly and knowingly insults our intelligence to deny and try to hide his weaknesses and regular inexplicable, lunatic decisions he is now making.

At least just come out and say I've fucked up, admit your mistakes and try to improve, but no we all don't know what the fuck we're on about, it was bad luck, the referee, a little bit sharpness .......we could not find better players than we had out there, to buy is not always the answer, we are only looking for top top quality (but it's okay to go in the market and collect the sanogos, chamacks, flaminis etc)

Fuck Right Off Wenget and your little cheerleaders, if you can't at the very least have the decency to respect the fans anymore!

It really is insulting and he really needs to cut it out.

Dein-machine
30-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I don't disagree with a word of that. Except when it comes from the mouth of such a despicable cunt like Mourinho. Then it means nothing at all. Anything that leaves his ugly curled mouth deserves to be treated with absolute contempt. We can all see the truth, we don't need to be referring to a degenerate like that as a reference point.

If you have a fat wife its normally your most cuntish mate that gets pissed & calls her fat. Never mind that's he's a cunt for doing it - its true & if she goes on to lose weight & be healthier from it, your cunt of a mate has had more of a positive effect than your quiet mates who've called her fat behind her back. I agree with every word you say about Mourinho but if he's constant jibes start to make Wenger angry & more competitive/ambitious it may do us some good.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 04:57 PM

Only at Arsenal would you see the #2 keeper being given preference, for whatever reason. Wenger is off the deep end now, away on some trip that makes sense to him but nobody else. He's held absolute power at the club for too long. Wouldn't be surprised if he's caught fiddling on the pitch with the stadium in flames around him, it's already metaphorically like that. Arsenal desperately needs a proper arrangement now with somebody in the boardroom taking care of shit that's related to the boardroom and a manager taking care of shit that's related to the pitch. This latest failure to even compete in the CL, when we've been through a decade of rebuilding to (guess what) compete in the CL, is the ultimate failure. Why is there even a question about Wenger's position any longer? He's been given huge resources and more backing than any manager has ever seen, despite it all he's failed and failed in totality. What a bloody farce, we're further away than ever and we have the likes of Ozil and Alexis on the pitch? Give him Messi and Ronaldo and he'd still find a way to fail. The board needs to act now. Klopp is ready to jump, let's get him and if it works out great, if not then he can be sacked too. What's the worst case scenario? We end up with a manager who can't beat Olympiacos at home? We're beyond the pale already, nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Is it now ok to hope we finish last in the group? the thought of Thursday night football is possibly worse than a letter from the pox clinic.

Yeah, better to call it a day on Europe this season. At least we gain an edge over the others by not having to travel and play midweek. Those Thursday trips to Timbuktu wiuld kill off our PL hopes (not that we have any) too.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 05:22 PM
LOL - here we go. Merts first. Lessons need to be learned, apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3254820/Arsenal-learn-lessons-Olympiacos-defeat-insists-Mertesacker.html

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Supposedly Cech declared himself fit to start.

Problem was, Wenger isn't fit to manage, so Cech sat it out.

Munchies
30-09-2015, 05:35 PM
LOL - here we go. Merts first. Lessons need to be learned, apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3254820/Arsenal-learn-lessons-Olympiacos-defeat-insists-Mertesacker.html

If it isn't him saying it, it's Ramsey or Arteta

Gooner23
30-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Arteta will be tomorrow, 'we need to respond'.

BOBN
30-09-2015, 05:46 PM
I honestly believe that anyone who still wants Wenger as manager at this point wants to purposely see Arsenal fail.

I wonder where Pep will play Ozil next season. Gotze's still there and Muller and Costa have the flanks.

Please. Ozil would not get into Bayern's matchday squad.

BOBN
30-09-2015, 05:52 PM
I have always said that if you give this team to a tactically astute manager like Simeone, Klopp or even Martinez, they'd walk this league. How can you have all of these superstars and not win the league or even threaten to? Olympiacos should never come to our place and win, simple.

The manager's record in the CL in 19 years is astonishingly bad, one semi final and one final is just piss poor.
Superstars :haha:

Aguero > Giroud, Walcott put together
Yaya Toure > Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla put together
Silva >>>>>> Ozil
Sanchez = De Bruyne

So superstars how? Lets get better players before worrying about walking things.

Munchies
30-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Ramsey has been dog shit since the 13/14 season ended

Letters
30-09-2015, 06:09 PM
City only finished 4 points above us last year, they're not that much better than us, if at all.

Özim
30-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Looks like Venga's luck in the CL has run out and he's being shown up for the tactically naive clown he is, we were never going to win this thing, at least we're being spared the last 16 token game where we're guaranteed to be knocked out.

No real surprise to see us doing so poorly this season, we were never good enough with the lack of signings and a manager who is clueless.

fakeyank
30-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Superstars :haha:

Aguero > Giroud, Walcott put together
Yaya Toure > Ramsey, Wilshere, Cazorla put together
Silva >>>>>> Ozil
Sanchez = De Bruyne

So superstars how? Lets get better players before worrying about walking things.

Sanchez = De Bruyne :haha: :ilt:

Ox/Walcott > Navas

Kos > Mangala & Kompany together

Bellerin > Kolarov/Sagna

You can selectively chose players to show how we are better than them as well. The fact is that they probably outshine us slightly BUT we are nowhere near miles away from them. With a better manager, we'd be seriously challenging. All the tools are there.. unfortunately, a tool is managing the tools! :banghead:

Munchies
30-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Ancelotti would win us the PL next season

Globalgunner
30-09-2015, 06:16 PM
City only finished 4 points above us last year, they're not that much better than us, if at all.

Doeas anybody else see the glaring irony in this coming from the man who constantly says you cant beat the billionaires

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 06:21 PM
No point in doing a player comparison. It's clear as day that Wenger can't get the best out of this bunch and I wouldn't trust him with £200 million. For what? If he had splashed £36m on Martial, that kid would be playing on the right wing instead of up front. He already said he didn't see him as a striker. He can't get the best out of Ozil, benches one of the best keepers in the league to appease some no mark keeper....can't get the best out of the players he's developed from teen years like Wishere, Walcott, Ox, Gibson, Rambo...he has taken this as far as he can.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Doeas anybody else see the glaring irony in this coming from the man who constantly says you cant beat the billionaires

Yep. A massive contradiction.

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Yep. A massive contradiction.

It's too early to judge if it is a massive contradiction.

Kano
30-09-2015, 06:51 PM
If you have a fat wife its normally your most cuntish mate that gets pissed & calls her fat. Never mind that's he's a cunt for doing it - its true & if she goes on to lose weight & be healthier from it, your cunt of a mate has had more of a positive effect than your quiet mates who've called her fat behind her back. I agree with every word you say about Mourinho but if he's constant jibes start to make Wenger angry & more competitive/ambitious it may do us some good.
That's a terrible analogy. Firstly, I wouldn't be friends with a sub-human like Mourinho. Secondly, is no comparison between being a cunt a few times and being out and out scum like that prick. We can all see the problems for ourselves. The media can see it easily enough too. What has Moruinho done to enlighten us or keep Wenger on his toes? Fuck all. He just loves to dig when he's been made out to look like the prick he is. Nothing he says is worth a moment of our time.Wenger will remain Wenger and Maureen will remain the pond life that he is.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 07:34 PM
It's too early to judge if it is a massive contradiction.

I'll judge at the end of the season. Besides, I'm sure I've seen worse contradictions on here so I might just overlook this one.

Injury Time
30-09-2015, 07:39 PM
No point in doing a player comparison. It's clear as day that Wenger can't get the best out of this bunch and I wouldn't trust him with £200 million. For what? If he had splashed £36m on Martial, that kid would be playing on the right wing instead of up front. He already said he didn't see him as a striker. He can't get the best out of Ozil, benches one of the best keepers in the league to appease some no mark keeper....can't get the best out of the players he's developed from teen years like Wishere, Walcott, Ox, Gibson, Rambo...he has taken this as far as he can.
I thought he didn't buy Martial because he didn't think Monaco would sell...is Arsene now our only scout? Wtf is that guy you know that Gazageeza done recently?

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 08:03 PM
I thought he didn't buy Martial because he didn't think Monaco would sell...is Arsene now our only scout? Wtf is that guy you know that Gazageeza done recently?

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/467255/Arsenal-News-Wenger-explains-why-he-didn-t-sign-Martial

He's full of it really. He bulked at the price tag at first and made out as if Man Utd made a panicked decision, pointing to the kids 11 goal record and tried to incorporate their buy with the lack of strikers story he's been touting. Now that it's not looking so much like a panic buy he's saying we've known about this 'exceptional' talent for a number of years but he's a winger-type and we have Ox and Campbell...he also said he didn't think they'd sell, but we weren't planning on buying him anyway so I don't know why he mentions that at all. If we did he'd have fucked it up anyway and have the guy on the right wing perfecting his runs and crossing to an empty box.

BOBN
30-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Sanchez = De Bruyne :haha: :ilt:

Ox/Walcott > Navas

Kos > Mangala & Kompany together

Bellerin > Kolarov/Sagna

You can selectively chose players to show how we are better than them as well. The fact is that they probably outshine us slightly BUT we are nowhere near miles away from them. With a better manager, we'd be seriously challenging. All the tools are there.. unfortunately, a tool is managing the tools! :banghead:
Stop. Only Sanchez would definitely get in their team.

BOBN
30-09-2015, 08:42 PM
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/467255/Arsenal-News-Wenger-explains-why-he-didn-t-sign-Martial

He's full of it really. He bulked at the price tag at first and made out as if Man Utd made a panicked decision, pointing to the kids 11 goal record and tried to incorporate their buy with the lack of strikers story he's been touting. Now that it's not looking so much like a panic buy he's saying we've known about this 'exceptional' talent for a number of years but he's a winger-type and we have Ox and Campbell...he also said he didn't think they'd sell, but we weren't planning on buying him anyway so I don't know why he mentions that at all. If we did he'd have fucked it up anyway and have the guy on the right wing perfecting his runs and crossing to an empty box.
Wait, you guys are just gonna act like you didnt mock the Martial signing?

I recall only Niall Quinn and Mastermind giving that signing the time of day on here.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Wait, you guys are just gonna act like you didnt mock the Martial signing?

I recall only Niall Quinn and Mastermind giving that signing the time of day on here.

What do you expect. Is anyone a scout on here? Are we supposed to know better?

And I'm not advocating we spend £36m on an inexperienced player anyway. Wenger would fuck it up. The guys calling for a Martial signing are the same guys writing off Walcott and Ox now but if you'd go back to before we signed them they'd be singing their praises as raw exceptional players like they're doing now with Martial. You can add Vela and Campbell to that list as well.

You can't be filled with much confidence in Wenger developing this kid after watching what he's done over the past 10 years.

IBK
30-09-2015, 09:31 PM

And I'm not advocating we spend £36m on an inexperienced player anyway. Wenger would fuck it up. The guys calling for a Martial signing are the same guys writing off Walcott and Ox now but if you'd go back to before we signed them they'd be singing their praises as raw exceptional players like they're doing now with Martial. You can add Vela and Campbell to that list as well.

You can't be filled with much confidence in Wenger developing this kid after watching what he's done over the past 10 years.

I'm not sure that the issue is whether or not the likes of Martial are expensive punts. The fact is that Van Gaal recognised that, perhaps in the absence of any available 'world class' forwards, what Manure needed was the psychological lift of a potentially exciting signing. Expensive or not, Martial and Depay - together with Manure's other signings over the summer were necessary to create the feeling of a confident, exciting club that does not balk at investing, taking risks. I think it is easy to underestimate the lift that this approach can give other players, and the club as a whole. We had it with Alexis last year (albeit that he was established rather than a rookie); and with Ozil the year before. Wenger's dithering and caution in the transfer market this time round has contributed to the sense of stagnation; lack of ideas and purpose around our club.

Power n Glory
30-09-2015, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure that the issue is whether or not the likes of Martial are expensive punts. The fact is that Van Gaal recognised that, perhaps in the absence of any available 'world class' forwards, what Manure needed was the psychological lift of a potentially exciting signing. Expensive or not, Martial and Depay - together with Manure's other signings over the summer were necessary to create the feeling of a confident, exciting club that does not balk at investing, taking risks. I think it is easy to underestimate the lift that this approach can give other players, and the club as a whole. We had it with Alexis last year (albeit that he was established rather than a rookie); and with Ozil the year before. Wenger's dithering and caution in the transfer market this time round has contributed to the sense of stagnation; lack of ideas and purpose around our club.

You're right on all that and we needed a big signing for the psychological boost as well as the talent. But that's not really my issue. My issue is with Wenger and what he's come out and said about the Martial signing. He turned his nose up at it at first. Most of the footballing world did if we're being honest. Fan included. But he then tries to pull the know it all act as soon as Martial starts performing and his stance switches from mockery and players being overpriced to him having knowledge of this 'exceptional' talent and not knowing he was available for sale. It's bollocks. In that same interview he was saying he thought he was winger type and we had players like Ox and Campbell in his position anyway. That just goes to show he has judged the talent of this kid all wrong in the first place if he didn't recognise he's a striker.

Like many of the young players we've signed at that age, I can't imagine Wenger playing him straight away like Van Gaal has and he'd have probably featured in the odd League Cup game following in the same footsteps as Theo, Ox and Campbell. He'd have no impact on our season. I remember us waiting ages to see Ox and Theo get a game and when they finally did, they got sporadic appearances even after good debuts. Let's not forget Ox being hauled off against Utd and RVP looking at the subs bench in disbelief when he's subbed him. Overall, I just don't trust Wenger to develop young talent anymore. He didn't think the kid was worth the money, had no idea what he capable of and even if he had a clue, he'd have developed him into a mess of a player. Wenger can't develop kids.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-09-2015, 10:30 PM
I was pretty indifferent to Martial but I've said many times.....if you find a young player you think is the real deal.....go out and get him....even if you have to put you nuts on the line.

Martial could go either way, but Wenger was a little foolhardy in the ordering and timing of his comments though the content of what he was saying cannot be argued with too ardently.

Munchies
30-09-2015, 11:37 PM
https://twitter.com/JackWilshere/status/649360631204855816

She's keeping me going ❤️❤ ️Hopefully be back soon Gooners to help the team! I miss you all

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQL-DbZWcAAP9IQ.jpg

The Messiah :bow:

Niall_Quinn
30-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Are there people out there who care when Jack tweets stuff? What's the point of it? Is it gloating? Some ill conceived attempt to make out he's just a regular guy? Is there some sort of commercial angle to it? Vanity? I don't get it. Why do they tweet shit all the time? Does anyone know?

Dicks and chicks
30-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Yo I think Campbell deserves a starting spot to see how good he is. The lad has been here for 5 years and never got a shoe in. Just play the guy and let's see if he can kick a ball.

Letters
01-10-2015, 06:11 AM

I've literally never said that :lol:
I you can't be arsed to understand the point then don't bothers replying to it :tiphat:

BOBN
01-10-2015, 06:30 AM

I expect smart people to say "hmmm, Manchester United's highly paid technical staff coaches, managers and scouts deem this player worthy of spending massive money. I dont know anything about the player so what i'll do is reserve judgement. In fact i'm a little worried as an ABU, this boy could well be the real deal and I admire United for attempting to identify the next in line when all the established stars are unavailable"

But nope, you wrote him off.

It was an intelligence test. Simple as that.

Letters
01-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Looks like Venga's luck in the CL has run out and he's being shown up for the tactically naive clown he is, we were never going to win this thing, at least we're being spared the last 16 token game where we're guaranteed to be knocked out.

No real surprise to see us doing so poorly this season, we were never good enough with the lack of signings and a manager who is clueless.
Are we doing 'so poorly'? We are in the CL, obviously, but before Tuesday we'd just beaten Spurs away (not a result I can get too excited about, given it's the league cup, but always nice to beat Spurs, particularly at WHL) and got a good result away at Leicester who I guess we should be beating but they were unbeaten so it was a pretty decent result. The maddening thing is the lack of consistency.

let's see how we do vs Utd. If we beat them (starting to look like quite a big if, but you never know with us at the moment) then the league campaign at least will be pretty good so far.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 07:17 AM
I expect smart people to say "hmmm, Manchester United's highly paid technical staff coaches, managers and scouts deem this player worthy of spending massive money. I dont know anything about the player so what i'll do is reserve judgement. In fact i'm a little worried as an ABU, this boy could well be the real deal and I admire United for attempting to identify the next in line when all the established stars are unavailable"

But nope, you wrote him off.

It was an intelligence test. Simple as that.

Pat yourself on the back for being one of the 'smart' people. But I don't recall people writing him off. You'll have to find one from me where I wrote him off as a player. I don't judge players like that. Especially young players I haven't seen. But I'm also not one clamouring for Wenger to spend big on this young player because I don't trust his development skills. That's my argument. Not for that money. If he can't get enough out of his record signing in Ozil and if he can't get more out of our young players, I trust him with less, not more. An intelligent person should be able to comprehend what I'm saying here.

Do you trust Wenger to develop him? That's the question. And the fact that Wenger didn't recognise his talent in the first place should be the point to question. Not the fans. Man Utd signed Bebe, Nani and Anderson for silly money too so that's no argument.

Maestro
01-10-2015, 07:46 AM
I you can't be arsed to understand the point then don't bothers replying to it :tiphat:

hungover Letters :bow:

BOBN
01-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Pat yourself on the back for being one of the 'smart' people. But I don't recall people writing him off. You'll have to find one from me where I wrote him off as a player. I don't judge players like that. Especially young players I haven't seen. But I'm also not one clamouring for Wenger to spend big on this young player because I don't trust his development skills. That's my argument. Not for that money. If he can't get enough out of his record signing in Ozil and if he can't get more out of our young players, I trust him with less, not more. An intelligent person should be able to comprehend what I'm saying here.

Do you trust Wenger to develop him? That's the question. And the fact that Wenger didn't recognise his talent in the first place should be the point to question. Not the fans. Man Utd signed Bebe, Nani and Anderson for silly money too so that's no argument.
Managers are overrated. Top talents with the right attitude will develop regardless.

He seemed to 'develop' Henry ok.

Niall_Quinn
01-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Arsenal have been described as the team who “don’t want to defend” by Alfred Finnbogason, the Olympiakos striker, who scored his club’s winning goal in the Champions League match at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.

The Arsenal inquest has focused on Finnbogason’s 66th-minute goal, which came less than 60 seconds after Alexis Sánchez had equalised to make the score 2-2 and was the result of a collective loss of discipline that left the home side exposed.

Per Mertesacker, the Arsenal defender who came on after Laurent Koscielny had injured his hamstring, has said his team will not qualify for the competition’s knockout phase if they continue to show such failings.

After losing their opening game at Dinamo Zagreb, Arsenal may need to get something from their home and away ties against Bayern Munich. Koscielny is not expected to be fit for Sunday’s Premier League game at home to Manchester United.

Finnbogason, the Iceland international who was a half-time substitute, talked of how Olympiakos had executed a perfect gameplan after scrutinising Arsenal’s weaknesses, which include how they defend corners. Olympiakos’s first goal came from a corner which was drifted back to the edge of the area for Felipe Pardo to score with a deflected volley.

“The first corner is something we practise on the training pitch because we know they have no man on the edge of the box,” Finnbogason said. “When you play against this team you know they’re going to have a lot of the ball. You have to defend well, have the lines tight and use your time when you have spaces. And you know you’re going to have spaces because they don’t want to defend. So our plan worked.”

Arsène Wenger had substituted the defensive midfielder Francis Coquelin for the more attack-minded Aaron Ramsey on the hour and Mertesacker suggested there had been a rush of blood and a lack of balance after Sánchez’s equaliser.

“We rushed a bit and not everyone came back to a defensive position, like we should have done,” Mertesacker said. “I felt we were a bit exposed. There was no one on the edge of the box. We should have done much better, especially having come back and had a lot of possession in the second half.

“After we scored it looked like we were not ready to win this game. There was a lack of concentration, a lack of discipline. We need to do much better defensively on these occasions because these occasions decide more and more games in modern football. When we play like that, with that lack of concentration and discipline, we have got no chance [of qualifying].”

Gabriel Paulista, the other Arsenal centre-half, said it was essential the team regrouped before United’s visit. “It was a complicated night,” he said. “We only have ourselves to blame for conceding the three goals and now we have to rest, work harder and, on Sunday, we have a great game.

“Every game is very important and Sunday is the same. We are at home and we have an obligation to win at home. Things are not turning out well in the Champions League. In the Premier League we are fine but in the Champions League – I don’t know what to say.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/arsenal-defend-olympiakos-alfred-finnbogason-champions-league

More thinly coded messages for Wenger coming hot in the heels of the Zagreb manager taking the piss out of him and the Monaco manager taunting him last season. Will he listen to his own defenders or the opponents who are carefully explaining how they got the better of him?

He won't.

selassie
01-10-2015, 08:22 AM

Exactly.

My issue with Wenger is he is too preoccupied with preaching about the state of the market and sitting on his hands when it comes to improving our squad.

He's basically full of shit, coming out with lunatic statements such as there were no players on the market better than what we currently have.

Both of the above statements regarding the state of the market and no players being available are basically linked and it's Wenger trying to be clever and covering up that he is flat out not prepared to pay the market rate for new players.

He isn't doing anybody any favours here and is basically on a lone crusade with this stance, the market is the market and it will not change for one man.

The irony of it all is that whilst it looks like Wenger isn't taking risks albeit from a financial nature, he is indirectly taking a bigger risk by hoping for internal improvement and gambling on the same set of players who failed last year to somehow come good this season.

It's all a load of bollocks really.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Managers are overrated. Top talents with the right attitude will develop regardless.

He seemed to 'develop' Henry ok.

Is that how far back we have to go? Henry!?

You're not concerned by the fact that Wenger said he sees this kid as a winger type and not a striker? You've seen the effects of players being played out of position. Are we blaming the student and not the teacher for the rubbish and flawed players we've churned out over the past 10 years? Do you think this is simply a money and quality problem and it doesn't matter about the manager?

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 08:29 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/arsenal-defend-olympiakos-alfred-finnbogason-champions-league

More thinly coded messages for Wenger coming hot in the heels of the Zagreb manager taking the piss out of him and the Monaco manager taunting him last season. Will he listen to his own defenders or the opponents who are carefully explaining how they got the better of him?

He won't.

He’s being exposed badly. He is tactically clueless. Every time we need a goal he’ll take off Coquelin and sacrifice a defensive player for attack. Or he’ll take off a wing back. Totally unbalances the squad and that third goal wouldn’t have happened if we had Coquelin still on the pitch.

Niall_Quinn
01-10-2015, 08:35 AM

You're not concerned by the fact that Wenger said he sees this kid as a winger type and not a striker? You've seen the effects of players being played out of position. Are we blaming the student and not the teacher for the rubbish and flawed players we've churned out over the past 10 years? Do you think this is simply a money and quality problem and it doesn't matter about the manager?

Sadly there's a truth emerging about Wenger. Henry is the player on which so much of the Wenger myth (it really is starting to look like a myth) is based. Out of sorts winger that Wenger masterfully transforms into the great striker. But keep winding forward and where is the next great triumph? I see Kolo Toure rattling around until he settles down at CB. Then I'm struggling to find another of the master's transformations.

1-0 to the Arsenal, Wenger was able to build so much on the characters of Adams, Bould, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn and Seaman, none of them his players and already a tightly knit unit that happily he didn't tinker with.

Bergkamp? No input required there, Bergkamp already knew his stuff inside out and back to front.

Vieira. Well credit for spotting him but Paddy was a winner all by himself and didn't need any external help to get on with the business of bossing the midfield.

Henry. I believe I could have coached Henry to greatness. What I would have done is sit back and listen carefully to the player and then let him get on with it. Henry credits Wenger for so much but I wonder if he is confusing Wenger's input with the overall results? Wenger had to play him, of course. Wenger had to say yes to him moving to the centre. But you watch Henry play and this stuff is kind of obvious.

i don't take all the credit away from Wenger. He did a lot in terms of fitness, scouting, taking some risk in the transfer market when money was harder to come by. But when you see his repeated failure to grasp even the basics of competing at the highest level you have to wonder is the training being handed down by a Jedi knight, as the legend goes, or is it primarily a DIY job?

Niall_Quinn
01-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Vieira said something revealing about Wenger’s management style in the documentary he made with Roy Keane a while ago. The manager’s biggest strength? “Trust,” said Vieira. “He will trust his players. He will try to make you make the right decision by yourself. Not him telling you what he expects or what he wants you to do … that can be a weakness as well.”

Wax-on, wax-off. Wax-on, wax-off.

Big day arrives. You get your arse kicked. Not once, but on the majority of occasions. Unless you have a house built by George Graham and three musketeers in the shape of Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira who came later to Arsenal having done their basic training elsewhere.

Wenger should do himself a huge favour and call it a day in 2017. It may still be too late by then if he can't land a significant trophy with all the new money at his disposal, the myth might be fully exposed.

There are still those hints and rumours about last season's surprisingly organised victory over the gypos. Was it Wenger or did the players take matters into their own hands? Even Wenger hints at the latter.

Will Wenger's final legacy be his undoubted talent in generating a half billion quid pay day for the old Etonians and a steady investment bump for the new Americans? A bright and shiny stadium but without the team to grace it now Graham's boys have retired to punditry and the likes of Bergkamp have been locked out because, I wonder, they don't completely agree with the master's methods. Henry is there now working with the kids. That might be something.

BOBN
01-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Im saying Wenger is finished but the players arent all that great. Wenger isnt holding back this bunch.

Look what Cazorla did on the third goal, left the guy on edge of the box free in favour of completing a back 6. He's a bad CM and is finished as a winger.

Ozil is dog, ive tried but hes dog. People said he needed runners and pace around and hes got it but still nothing. If the club were smart they would have offloaded him to PSG for a 20% loss. Beats making a 70% loss in 2-3 years.

Coquelin has been our best player this season, a guy with no pedigree. Its not a great squad.

topgun
01-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Im saying Wenger is finished but the players arent all that great. Wenger isnt holding back this bunch.

Look what Cazorla did on the third goal, left the guy on edge of the box free in favour of completing a back 6. He's a bad CM and is finished as a winger.

Ozil is dog, ive tried but hes dog. People said he needed runners and pace around and hes got it but still nothing. If the club were smart they would have offloaded him to PSG for a 20% loss. Beats making a 70% loss in 2-3 years.

Coquelin has been our best player this season, a guy with no pedigree. Its not a great squad.

I have to agree about the squad and Ozil in particular,I don't think this lot are anywhere close to competing for the really big prize's.:oldboy:

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Sadly there's a truth emerging about Wenger. Henry is the player on which so much of the Wenger myth (it really is starting to look like a myth) is based. Out of sorts winger that Wenger masterfully transforms into the great striker. But keep winding forward and where is the next great triumph? I see Kolo Toure rattling around until he settles down at CB. Then I'm struggling to find another of the master's transformations.

1-0 to the Arsenal, Wenger was able to build so much on the characters of Adams, Bould, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn and Seaman, none of them his players and already a tightly knit unit that happily he didn't tinker with.

Bergkamp? No input required there, Bergkamp already knew his stuff inside out and back to front.

Vieira. Well credit for spotting him but Paddy was a winner all by himself and didn't need any external help to get on with the business of bossing the midfield.

Henry. I believe I could have coached Henry to greatness. What I would have done is sit back and listen carefully to the player and then let him get on with it. Henry credits Wenger for so much but I wonder if he is confusing Wenger's input with the overall results? Wenger had to play him, of course. Wenger had to say yes to him moving to the centre. But you watch Henry play and this stuff is kind of obvious.

i don't take all the credit away from Wenger. He did a lot in terms of fitness, scouting, taking some risk in the transfer market when money was harder to come by. But when you see his repeated failure to grasp even the basics of competing at the highest level you have to wonder is the training being handed down by a Jedi knight, as the legend goes, or is it primarily a DIY job?

It certainly is looking like a myth. All these ‘I could have signed’ stories don’t look good but he keeps telling them as if it somehow portrays him in a good light. As if he’s trying to portray that he’s still in the know. That wise old man that never misses anything. :lol: It’s the opposite. He has anecdotes about nearly signing Ronaldinho and spotting the great South and Central American stars as kids. Work permit and passport issues are the reason we couldn’t sign them is what he’ll have us believe. Fair enough. But when he comes back from those regions, he’s back with Denilson, Vela, Joel Campbell and Wellington Silva! Were these the next Messi’s and Ronaldo’s gone horribly wrong under his tutelage or is he just full of it and couldn’t spot the next big thing if they were right in front of him? Speaking of which, we had Yaya Toure and Ibrahimovic on trial here at Arsenal and he didn’t sign either of them.

Is this guy a fraud or what? We could have signed Bale! Great. You signed Walcott. Maybe Walcott looked the more promising player at the time but how is it that Bale has surpassed him and technically superior under Wenger’s watchful eye when that’s what he cherishes the most? Does he actually teach and coach technique or does he just give the players a chance to play and try to build their confidence with his Zen like quotes?

When Theo is missing his chances, is he patting him on the back and telling him “there, there, next time you’ll score. I believe in you” or is he telling him “you rushed your shot, you chose to take another touch instead of putting your foot through it and learn how to hit it with the outside of your boot”. This is what I want to know. Is he teaching these kids the basics. The technical stuff. How deep is he going. Is he teaching them positional awareness. There simply is no evidence of it. I just find it hard to believe that over the last 10 years working with young players he’s been this unlucky. As you say, the great players we had in the early days wouldn’t have been what they were without the old guard. It’s really looking that way.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Vieira said something revealing about Wenger’s management style in the documentary he made with Roy Keane a while ago. The manager’s biggest strength? “Trust,” said Vieira. “He will trust his players. He will try to make you make the right decision by yourself. Not him telling you what he expects or what he wants you to do … that can be a weakness as well.”

That sums it up, NQ. If this is his approach with all players it explains why our young players aren't developing as well as they could be. It's why I'm not 100% sold on this Martial kid because when the player hits a rock and needs to regain some confidence, Wenger won't be able to help. It's what happens with all of our young players. Off to a flyer and playing with confidence in their first year and then they just totally dip.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 09:59 AM

I didn’t even mention in my last post how Wenger was close to selling Coquelin. A DM 10 times better than what we currently had and he couldn’t recognise it. Took injuries for him to be recalled from loan and played.

The players aren’t that great but is that down to the manager? Are they that bad that they should be losing in the way we lost on Tuesday? I don’t think we should be losing at home like that and so easily. Cazorla is only playing as CM because the manager won’t drop Ozil. And speaking of players dropped, we had a world class keeper sitting on the bench because Wenger has been strong armed by some nobody keeper to play CL football. How is that possible? Our best player in Coquelin was hauled off on the night as well to make room for Ramsey because he was too weak again to bench Cazorla or Ozil. Under such weak management a young player like Martial wouldn’t get a look in. You’d grow frustrated by the team selection sheet each week when he’s not included and when he finally is you’ll be pissed about where he’s been played and who he has playing around him. Trust me on that one. Seen it countless times. It’s a cycle.

Kano
01-10-2015, 10:10 AM

The squad needs tearing up, right down the middle of the first eleven and out wide too. A real striker, CM and CB, with a real, specialised wide player in there. Roy Keane was spot on at the start of the season. Added to that, there are too many quiet, good boys in this squad who take their beatings as good boys tend to do. Anyone with an edge has been shipped out of the club, forming a little choir school with no personality.

Wenger's biggest mistake and one that lies at the root of the issues we've seen over the past decade, comes down to the departure of The Invincibles. As Adams and co had instilled their mentality into the early 00's team, that had to be integrated on to the next stage. Except one of the most successful teams in the history of our club was dismantled in two seasons, preventing any sense of continuity. So we started from scratch, putting together teams based on Wenger's powder puff mentality which has led us to this point. Alongside the obvious Vieira, Dennis and Henry, we had Lauren, Lehmann, Campbell, Cole, Edu and Gilberto all gone in that space of time. Continuity was something that allowed Utd to stay where they were for so long and of course the spine of the Chelsea team.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
You should have seen Keane on the CL highlight show last night. The way he said we were 'weak'. :lol:

Kano
01-10-2015, 10:36 AM
You should have seen Keane on the CL highlight show last night. The way he said we were 'weak'. :lol:

And he's right. No leaders, no winners. It all sounds so MOTD in terms of analysis but the basics of the game are very simple. When a player like that points out mental flaws in a team, I have no problem listening. When it comes to analysing a game they will mostly just churn out cliched drivel. But you have to respect and pay attention to ex-players who understand what it takes to win a major trophy when it comes down to listing the personality traits required and our team is severely lacking. Once you have a winners mentality, you tap into the required cynicism. But don't worry, I won't delve back into that shit again, you know where I stand on that.

Niall_Quinn
01-10-2015, 10:39 AM
The squad needs tearing up, right down the middle of the first eleven and out wide too. A real striker, CM and CB, with a real, specialised wide player in there. Roy Keane was spot on at the start of the season. Added to that, there are too many quiet, good boys in this squad who take their beatings as good boys tend to do. Anyone with an edge has been shipped out of the club, forming a little choir school with no personality.

Wenger's biggest mistake and one that lies at the root of the issues we've seen over the past decade, comes down to the departure of The Invincibles. As Adams and co had instilled their mentality into the early 00's team, that had to be integrated on to the next stage. Except one of the most successful teams in the history of our club was dismantled in two seasons, preventing any sense of continuity. So we started from scratch, putting together teams based on Wenger's powder puff mentality which has led us to this point. Alongside the obvious Vieira, Dennis and Henry, we had Lauren, Lehmann, Campbell, Cole, Edu and Gilberto all gone in that space of time. Continuity was something that allowed Utd to stay where they were for so long and of course the spine of the Chelsea team.

His stupid over 30's policy and his refusal to offer the spine of our experience more than a 1 year contract when they still had loads of football left in them, never mind the priceless experience. The way Gilberto was treated was a scandal and a farce, I'll always remember it and that's when my estimation of Wenger started dropping. He even had Bergkamp eking out those 1 year extensions. You can call it pragmatic management or you can call it short sightedness and another example of finances over ambition. But the old school tie brigade got their half a billion and I suppose that had to take priority over trivial shit like the blood of the team.

Wenger has gone on too long now, he's like Bilbo with the fucking ring. All the shit we were prepared to overlook is starting to rot in open view as the time lapse between success and this grey nothingness lengthens.

The best way to handle this now is not by shouting and screaming and disrespecting the guy during matches, it's for the fans to get together and respectfully thank him for his services but ask him to leave so somebody else can take us forward. But then you have 50% of the fans sitting there with their next season, next season bullshit. 10 seasons on and it's next season, next season.

Wenger always said he'd go if he wasn't wanted and felt he couldn't do more for the club. Well plainly he can't do more for the club so all that remains is to tell him he;s no longer wanted. See if he sticks to his word. Two more seasons of this and his legacy will be destroyed. We'd be doing him a favour by asking him to go while the going is still partially good.

Niall_Quinn
01-10-2015, 10:49 AM
And he's right. No leaders, no winners. It all sounds so MOTD in terms of analysis but the basics of the game are very simple. When a player like that points out mental flaws in a team, I have no problem listening. When it comes to analysing a game they will mostly they just churn out cliched drivel. But you have to respect and pay attention to ex-players who understand what it takes to win a major trophy when it comes down to listing the personality traits required and our team is severely lacking. Once you have a winners mentality, you tap into the required cynicism. But don't worry, I won't delve back into that shit again, you know where I stand on that.

Coquelin is a leader and a winner. But he has no authority. He's not an Adams that grew up with the club or a Vieira that was the heart of the team. He's the guy who has accidentally found himself in the crucial role, where's his authority to grab Ozil or Cazorla and drag them around the pitch? Shame. As for our actual captains - can't fault Arteta off the pitch but he's almost as big a wet blanket as Merts when on it. Wenger has been fucking the whole captaincy thing for ages now. He doesn't value that sort of thing.

Dein-machine
01-10-2015, 10:58 AM
The issue we have will be highlighted at the weekend. If we beat Utd by a few goals & results go our way, we could be top of the league. This simply acts as a burden. Wenger uses it to justify his arrogance & stupidity, by saying "I told you so". Exactly the same as the 2 FA cup wins - Wenger back to being a winner & sticking 2 fingers up at all those who questioned him. The core of the problem lies in us playing a style of football that requires far better players than what we have. Far better players cost money which Wenger has issues with. This style of play is also dated, Barca have now adopted a style which whilst still built on a passing game is also reliant on getting the ball forward quicker. When you have Messi, Suarez & Neymer, it would seem sensible to make sure they are on the ball as much as possible. We are trying to play an out-dated Barca style but with nowhere near the quality of player that Barca had - can't & won't work.
We have become accustomed to watching decent football at Arsenal & I'm sure most of us would like that to continue as much as possible but the ONLY way forward for us now is a new manager who has the ambition to use the financial resources that we now have to make us a feared name again. After this weeks result & years of failings in the C.L. we are no longer looked upon as a top European team by fans in others countries. If a fan at Locomotive Plovdiv is sayign "what's happened to Arsenal? - 10 years ago they were an awesome team to watch & were getting into C.L semi's & finals, now they even struggle to get out of their group stage" - How can this be regarded as anything other than Wenger taking us backwards.

Kano
01-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Coquelin is a leader and a winner. But he has no authority. He's not an Adams that grew up with the club or a Vieira that was the heart of the team. He's the guy who has accidentally found himself in the crucial role, where's his authority to grab Ozil or Cazorla and drag them around the pitch? Shame. As for our actual captains - can't fault Arteta off the pitch but he's almost as big a wet blanket as Merts when on it. Wenger has been fucking the whole captaincy thing for ages now. He doesn't value that sort of thing.
Exactly. And he hasn't even played a full season of PL football yet, so he's still on a learning curve himself, let alone being awarded the stripes to call out others in the team. And when Merts and Arteta were both injured, we got Santi as the captain. He must've picked the right number that week to get the armband. I think Wenger said years ago that he expects everyone to be a captain, or something to that effect. You have to wonder what it is he see's every training session and match day to not realise how void of personality the team is. Then again, that's probably just the way he wants it.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 11:12 AM
And he's right. No leaders, no winners. It all sounds so MOTD in terms of analysis but the basics of the game are very simple. When a player like that points out mental flaws in a team, I have no problem listening. When it comes to analysing a game they will mostly just churn out cliched drivel. But you have to respect and pay attention to ex-players who understand what it takes to win a major trophy when it comes down to listing the personality traits required and our team is severely lacking. Once you have a winners mentality, you tap into the required cynicism. But don't worry, I won't delve back into that shit again, you know where I stand on that.

Yeah, I hear you. We’ve had the cynicism debate and it’s an aspect of having that desire to get the win. We just don’t have that desire and it runs throughout the club. Top to bottom. I can understand why someone like Stan won’t have it. It’s a shame but he’s corporate. It is what it is. But I can’t understand why our manager doesn’t have it. I just can’t. He’s just so weak and we’ve seen it in his squad selection this week. It’s embarrassing.

Kano
01-10-2015, 11:13 AM
His stupid over 30's policy and his refusal to offer the spine of our experience more than a 1 year contract when they still had loads of football left in them, never mind the priceless experience. The way Gilberto was treated was a scandal and a farce, I'll always remember it and that's when my estimation of Wenger started dropping. He even had Bergkamp eking out those 1 year extensions. You can call it pragmatic management or you can call it short sightedness and another example of finances over ambition. But the old school tie brigade got their half a billion and I suppose that had to take priority over trivial shit like the blood of the team.

Wenger has gone on too long now, he's like Bilbo with the fucking ring. All the shit we were prepared to overlook is starting to rot in open view as the time lapse between success and this grey nothingness lengthens.

The best way to handle this now is not by shouting and screaming and disrespecting the guy during matches, it's for the fans to get together and respectfully thank him for his services but ask him to leave so somebody else can take us forward. But then you have 50% of the fans sitting there with their next season, next season bullshit. 10 seasons on and it's next season, next season.

Wenger always said he'd go if he wasn't wanted and felt he couldn't do more for the club. Well plainly he can't do more for the club so all that remains is to tell him he;s no longer wanted. See if he sticks to his word. Two more seasons of this and his legacy will be destroyed. We'd be doing him a favour by asking him to go while the going is still partially good.

Bilbo :lol: that did make me laugh out loud.

The problem is, the board have cornered the fans into this perfect sweet spot, one where the minimum does just enough to stop a real level of frustration being displayed on match days. Just the right level of players to keep us ticking over but never pushing on beyond that. Just coming close enough in the competitions that matter but never close enough. A shiny new stadium. A lush looking pitch. A couple of marquee singings. CL football every season. Hanging round the arseholes of the big clubs, taking a good whiff before they shit on our shoes and ask us to clean it up again.

Complain - and I mean really complain with concerted effort - and we are made to look like spoilt dummies. All of the 'positives' above are listed, reminding us how lucky we are to have them. Sit quietly and refuse to moan, then we watch Bill Murray turning off his alarm clock at six every morning. If you're raising a bank loan every year for your season ticket, or shelling out at least a fifth of your monthly wage to take your kids to a game, the last thing you want to do is have to bitch and moan at the end of it. Which is probably why Arsenal fans have picked up this rep of having one of the loudest voices on the net because if you're forced to do it at the stadium, you may as well of just stayed at home burning your wallet while destroying your TV set-up. As you know yourself, the problems start with Wenger but end far higher up.

Power n Glory
01-10-2015, 11:19 AM

That’s how I see it all end. I’ve always believed that. It’s an ugly end for him. He’ll fall on his own sword. It’s ugly for the club on a whole and it will split the fan base. I’d rather it didn’t come to that and he just bowed out gracefully without the embarrassment. The papers will be on our backs if he’s hounded out of the club. Really sticking it to the fans. And I’m really tired of seeing shit like Arsenal TV. It’s good to vent but what I saw after the Chelsea game was bloody embarrassing. Fans having a complete meltdown in front of Chelsea supporters as they smirk and smile away in the background. We need to cut that out. Emotions boil over in these games but we need to get a grip on it and not lose our dignity in the process. Easier said than done of course. Wenger just has to go and do us all a favour. Personally, I’d prefer if people just stopped turning up for games. A year or so of low attendance would send the right message across without feeding the trolls.

BOBN
01-10-2015, 11:59 AM
I have to agree about the squad and Ozil in particular,I don't think this lot are anywhere close to competing for the really big prize's.:oldboy:
The man just dumped his WIFE but he cant drop Ozil? Promised Ospina games so he doesnt break his heart? Keeps Giroud?

It's Arsenal FC not Brokeback Mountain. Wenger done.

selassie
01-10-2015, 03:07 PM

Dein-machine
01-10-2015, 04:09 PM
The man just dumped his WIFE but he cant drop Ozil? Promised Ospina games so he doesnt break his heart? Keeps Giroud?

It's Arsenal FC not Brokeback Mountain. Wenger done.

Shouldn't be losing your wife at 65 years of age. By that age you have learnt to live with all the shit bits about your other half & you can't change anyone. He is blaming it on the pressure of the Aresenal job & not having quality time with his family. Surely he would have done both us & his family a favour by simply stepping down.

Power n Glory
02-10-2015, 08:40 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2574347-roy-keane-calls-arsenal-soft-and-weak-after-champions-league-defeat

All the players need to watch Roy Keane's comments. The delivery....:lol:

They better turn up for the next game.

Kano
02-10-2015, 09:01 AM
To be honest, talking about Wenger's wife and marital problems is way below the belt, out of fucking order really. Fine, if it was your average celebrity dickhead exposing his life when everything is going well then bollocks to them, deal with the abuse when it all goes tits up. Until a recent article I don't think I've ever seen a picture of his wife. He clearly has no interest in mixing business with his personal life. His own problems are exactly that. Like ourselves. What has he done so catastrophically wrong to get cheap abuse about one of the most intimate relationships in his long life? Lost some games and upset some Gooners? Seriously get a grip of yourselves. Just because the tabloids need some cheap dirt to dish around for clicks and rotten gossip, doesn't mean you have to stoop so low. Are we going to sit here and look down our nose at scum like Chelsea, all the while parading such classless double standards? Talking about his wife is sprinting full on into Mourinho territory, it isn't funny, it's just nasty and makes you look like a completely despicable cunt.

Power n Glory
02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11906085/Arsenal-press-conference-with-Arsene-Wenger-live.html

Wenger having a break down in the press conference. When it's his fault, he doesn't handle criticism well. He's taken it badly.

Arsene Wenger threatened to walk out of his press conference when he was asked whether Jose Mourinho was right in claiming he was the only Premier League manager not under pressure.

The Arsenal manager appeared to show signs of strain, however, by saying it was “depressing” and “boring” that his decision to play David Ospina over Petr Cech in the Champions League defeat at home to Olympiakos had been criticised.

“Stop that story or we stop the press conference,” Wenger said when asked about Mourinho’s claim before adding when asked whether Cech would play in Sunday’s Premier League match against Manchester United: “Do not come always back with that same story. I think you lack a bit of creativity in the press at the moment and you follow a bandwagon. It’s very boring.

“I don’t go along with that (criticism). If you have an interesting question I will answer but apart from that let’s not always come back to the same story. Come to the game on Sunday and you will see who’s in the goal.

“I think you have not watched well the game on Tuesday night. To come always with the same story.

“You can put the goalkeeper you want in the goal. He can make a mistake and you have to accept that.

“If you watched really the game and you come to the conclusion we lost because of Ospina I question your knowledge in football.”

Arsenal have come in for fierce criticism following their defeat against the Greek champions but Wenger was defiant about the opinions voiced by various television pundits, including former Arsenal players.

“Because they lack a bit of creativity in their questions.” Wenger said. “They don’t analyse well. Honestly, not one came out and analysed well the game. One pundit says something on TV and all behind that repeat the same thing. It is quite boring.

“Nobody came out with numbers where the game was won or lost. It’s quite depressing to read that and hear that. But all just come to the same conclusion and haven’t watched what’s gone on on the pitch.

“We lost the game because we didn’t defend well. Yes the keeper made a mistake but we could still have won the game because of that.”

Kano
02-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I think he is right about that really. We didn't lose because of our choice of keeper. Ospina has been reliable by all accounts and if the outfield players had done their jobs, we wouldn't have been 1-0 down or shipped another goal straight after scoring one. Ospina was comically responsible for the second and of course you would expect our first choice keeper to play in a 'must win game' but our second choice done well enough last season, he isn't exactly an early-days Fabianski, disaster waiting to happen. Look at Cech against West Ham, no-one expected that sort of fuck up from a world class keeper. The bigger story and problem of our CL is poor defensive, stale midfield and limp attack. Which of course are Wenger's responsibility and he should be hammered for that, instead of concentrating on a keeper responsible for one of the three goals.

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Shouldn't be losing your wife at 65 years of age. By that age you have learnt to live with all the shit bits about your other half & you can't change anyone. He is blaming it on the pressure of the Aresenal job & not having quality time with his family. Surely he would have done both us & his family a favour by simply stepping down.

Totally different world for cash millionaires. For us plebs, fair enough, but for guys who can flash the cash you can take your pick no matter what age.

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2015, 10:39 AM
I think he is right about that really. We didn't lose because of our choice of keeper. Ospina has been reliable by all accounts and if the outfield players had done their jobs, we wouldn't have been 1-0 down or shipped another goal straight after scoring one. Ospina was comically responsible for the second and of course you would expect our first choice keeper to play in a 'must win game' but our second choice done well enough last season, he isn't exactly an early-days Fabianski, disaster waiting to happen. Look at Cech against West Ham, no-one expected that sort of fuck up from a world class keeper. The bigger story and problem of our CL is poor defensive, stale midfield and limp attack. Which of course are Wenger's responsibility and he should be hammered for that, instead of concentrating on a keeper responsible for one of the three goals.

I think he's 100% wrong, just as he was 100% wrong with his team selection. It's not about whether Cech would have saved it or not, it's about having strong and experienced characters on the pitch in the big games. That was a huge game, one we had to win. Wenger doesn't have a leg to stand on, he fucked up in the most basic way. I doubt any other team playing in Europe selected their second string keeper unless they had injury issues. Wenger just does stupid things these days and he gets the hump when asked to justify his decisions. He's the manager of a huge club that's constantly in the public eye. He should be asked about these decisions, it's entirely legitimate.

On the other hand, this "meltdown" he's having, don't they call the same thing "spectacular" when Maureen does it? For me, moaning about the job security of another manager is a much bigger meltdown.

Kano
02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I think he's 100% wrong, just as he was 100% wrong with his team selection. It's not about whether Cech would have saved it or not, it's about having strong and experienced characters on the pitch in the big games. That was a huge game, one we had to win. Wenger doesn't have a leg to stand on, he fucked up in the most basic way. I doubt any other team playing in Europe selected their second string keeper unless they had injury issues. Wenger just does stupid things these days and he gets the hump when asked to justify his decisions. He's the manager of a huge club that's constantly in the public eye. He should be asked about these decisions, it's entirely legitimate.

On the other hand, this "meltdown" he's having, don't they call the same thing "spectacular" when Maureen does it? For me, moaning about the job security of another manager is a much bigger meltdown.
The problem for me is it narrows the criticism down to a single decision, which is of course how the simpletons in the media work as they treat their audience as even bigger dickheads but it excludes the other ongoing issues in the team. We should be hearing questions about the defence, midfield, general team selection etc. Wishful thinking I know but I don't think the reason we lost was solely because of our keeper. Widening the questions put to Wenger would truly put him under the spotlight and hopefully make life more uncomfortable as there is nowhere to hide. The media find one niche and hammer it to death because it's far easier to build a narrative around one point and then flog it to a mass audience. But if Arsenal fans want to see him held accountable for his mismanagement, then the heat needs come from several angles. I know I'm in dreamland here regarding the media, but a fella can hope.

Power n Glory
02-10-2015, 11:05 AM

The press have been on Mourinho for his meltdowns. It started with the doctor fiasco and they’ve been on him for the Wenger jibes. I don’t see a double standard in that. But I think Wenger has played this one wrong. The press have played it wrong as well. It’s not all Ospina’s fault. That at least is true. The press then should have focussed on Wenger because he’s the true culprit. I though the Coquelin decision was just as barmy. Wrong time to start sniping at the press over his failures. Just hold your hands up, protect your player but keep cool. He’s an arrogant guy though. These are the sort of examples I point to when people suggest he’s challenged by the Board or his players. I don’t see how anyone can sway him. He just needs to be sacked.

Power n Glory
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
The problem for me is it narrows the criticism down to a single decision, which is of course how the simpletons in the media work as they treat their audience as even bigger dickheads but it excludes the other ongoing issues in the team. We should be hearing questions about the defence, midfield, general team selection etc. Wishful thinking I know but I don't think the reason we lost was solely because of our keeper. Widening the questions put to Wenger would truly put him under the spotlight and hopefully make life more uncomfortable as there is nowhere to hide. The media find one niche and hammer it to death because it's far easier to build a narrative around one point and then flog it to a mass audience. But if Arsenal fans want to see him held accountable for his mismanagement, then the heat needs come from several angles. I know I'm in dreamland here regarding the media, but a fella can hope.

:gp: We agree on that. I think you've both raised good points there.

Niall_Quinn
02-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Can't we just criticise the media anyway? Seems like the decent thing to do?

Power n Glory
02-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Wenger is right about them being boring. That's for sure.

IBK
04-10-2015, 02:33 PM

Its simple, really. Wenger's permissive approach to players expressing themselves rather than being drilled tactically worked when he inherited/recruited players with character. But as time has passed and the manager has become increasingly messianistic, he has recruited accolytes rather than the type of player who will self-develop under him. In short, he has cut off his nose to spite his face. The worrying thing is that he doesn't seem to understand this.

IBK
04-10-2015, 02:34 PM
To be honest, talking about Wenger's wife and marital problems is way below the belt, out of fucking order really. Fine, if it was your average celebrity dickhead exposing his life when everything is going well then bollocks to them, deal with the abuse when it all goes tits up. Until a recent article I don't think I've ever seen a picture of his wife. He clearly has no interest in mixing business with his personal life. His own problems are exactly that. Like ourselves. What has he done so catastrophically wrong to get cheap abuse about one of the most intimate relationships in his long life? Lost some games and upset some Gooners? Seriously get a grip of yourselves. Just because the tabloids need some cheap dirt to dish around for clicks and rotten gossip, doesn't mean you have to stoop so low. Are we going to sit here and look down our nose at scum like Chelsea, all the while parading such classless double standards? Talking about his wife is sprinting full on into Mourinho territory, it isn't funny, it's just nasty and makes you look like a completely despicable cunt.

This. Well said.

IBK
04-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Yep. The Ospina thing is a distraction. But I think that partly the reason why its been latched on to is that it exposes a lack of ruthlessness in the manager. Bottom line is that Cech is our best keper, but for reasons of his 'philosophy' he was not started in a crucial game.

Letters
10-12-2015, 10:22 AM
I think it's too early to judge this.

:coffee:

Letters
10-12-2015, 10:46 AM
We're out of the CL,
I think it's too early to judge that...