PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction: Watford 0 Arsenal 3

Kano
17-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Began brightly, then we were bullied around for the rest of the first half and subsequently lost control of the game.

Watford blocked us out well but it's no surprise our first came on the break when we had some space.

2nd place, bring on Bayern.

Marc Overmars
17-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Made hard work of it initially but once we gained a measure of control it was straight forward.

Munchies
17-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Took alot of work the first hour or so, but once they tired, our quality showed.

Letters
17-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Another one of those games which is a bit of a banana skin - especially with other results going the way they did and us having to play after those games.
Good result. On we go.

Niall_Quinn
17-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Our whole game is passing so when we aren't doing that well nothing else works. Once Alexis, Ozil and Cazorla found their passing game we picked apart a very ordinary but... erm, "rugged" Watford.

Appalling ref who awarded 12 fouls against us and 11 against our non-stop fouling opponents. One particularly nasty and deliberate elbow on Kos didn't even get a yellow, let alone the red it deserved.

Good games from Bellerin and Nacho. Kos looked a bit short of fitness and Merts is slow - really, really slow. You can see Cech doesn't trust him at all. Good news though that Kos' little bit 2 weeks injury really only did last for 2 weeks, instead of 3 months.

We can't afford to take the first half off, like we did today, against Bayern midweek.

fakeyank
17-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Rest the entire starting XI against Bayern.

Letters
17-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Rest the entire starting XI against Bayern.

:lol: I agree. Champions League, Shmampions League. Let's go out asap now and have a proper assault on the title.

LDG
17-10-2015, 07:46 PM
We found a way. In the end, it was good stuff.

Ramsey was a twat again though. What's wrong with that boy? Fuckin weirdo!!

The largest threat we have, is bellarine(sp). Whenever he gets into or ariund the box, we're mentally good.

AFC Leveller
17-10-2015, 08:19 PM
We have so many gifted players, esp in the middle of the park but for me, watching Cazorla play is such a joy. He is so effortless and so good on the ball, his pass to Ozil for the first goal was a thing of beauty and his crossfield balls to the FBs are insanely good.

mastermind84
17-10-2015, 09:40 PM

The largest threat we have, is bellarine(sp). Whenever he gets into or ariund the box, we're mentally good.
Disagree about Ramsey. He was really good today

Maestro
17-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Pished LDG :sulk:

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Pished LDG :sulk:

Is there any other kind?

Maestro
17-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Is there any other kind?

Ishpeshially after a win

LDG
18-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Is there any other kind?

Hungover LDG :(

Power n Glory
18-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Took alot of work the first hour or so, but once they tired, our quality showed.

Yeah, I said that to my bro as we were watching the game. My worry was that we'd concede a goal before that could happen and that's something we need to watch for. They had a lot of chances to score.

Power n Glory
18-10-2015, 07:02 AM
3 points and up into 2nd place.

Not the best of performances from our guys. Really shaky from Merts, Ramsey was off but at least finally got a goal, Ozil got two assists but didn't play anywhere close to what he played against Utd...Theo started bright and you'd have thought he was close to breaking their offside but it never happened....we just lost control of the middle of the park and they had run where they just kept on hitting us after the opening 20. 2nd half we got it together and made it comfortable but this is one of those games where it could have gone really wrong so it's hard to judge. The effort and sharpness we saw against Utd just wasn't there and the 2nd defensive display where we looked solid was off as well. Happy about the result but disappointed with the performance if I'm totally honest.

Maestro
18-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Hungover LDG :(

He's no good, he can shpell

Heisenberg
18-10-2015, 09:35 AM
From the highlights, it looked as though it was a relative off day but that we weathered the storm and then showed our quality when it mattered. Good three points.

Marc Overmars
18-10-2015, 10:31 AM
3 points and up into 2nd place.

Not the best of performances from our guys. Really shaky from Merts, Ramsey was off but at least finally got a goal, Ozil got two assists but didn't play anywhere close to what he played against Utd...Theo started bright and you'd have thought he was close to breaking their offside but it never happened....we just lost control of the middle of the park and they had run where they just kept on hitting us after the opening 20. 2nd half we got it together and made it comfortable but this is one of those games where it could have gone really wrong so it's hard to judge. The effort and sharpness we saw against Utd just wasn't there and the 2nd defensive display where we looked solid was off as well. Happy about the result but disappointed with the performance if I'm totally honest.

I thought Ozil was decent actually. Well, he started slow like the rest of them but grew into it. He's so much better when he decides to arrive into advanced positions because 9 times out of 10 he picks the right pass.

I don't think the performance was that bad really, underwhelming after the United blitz sure, but I never felt as though we didn't have a grasp of things. Plenty of bluster from Watford but aside from when Ighalo was clean through and shanked it wide, we weren't riding our luck. We defended really well.

I am invisible
18-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Not our best 90 minutes, but it's still nice to know that we have that killer instinct in us now, whenever teams give us an opening. Against ManUre that was right from the kick off, and the game was over after 20 minutes; yesterday we had to wait until the second half, but when they finally showed us that chink we were looking for it was the same thing - game killed off in a 12 minute blur. I like this ruthless streak.

Kudos to the defence too - another clean sheet, and joint fewest conceded in the league...

I am invisible
18-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I thought Ozil was decent actually. Well, he started slow like the rest of them but grew into it. He's so much better when he decides to arrive into advanced positions because 9 times out of 10 he picks the right pass.

I don't think the performance was that bad really, underwhelming after the United blitz sure, but I never felt as though we didn't have a grasp of things. Plenty of bluster from Watford but aside from when Ighalo was clean through and shanked it wide, we weren't riding our luck. We defended really well.
You've got to make some allowance for international disruption - losing all your players for a couple of weeks is always going to knock you out of your stride a little bit. Still managed to smash in 3 and keep a clean sheet, away from home, without being at our best...

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Wenger's decision not to screw with the team is encouraging. Shows he didn't make the mistake of taking the opponent lightly and appreciated how important it was to consolidate the Utd performance. Hopefully he puts the same team out midweek against Robben.

Power n Glory
18-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Ozil was decent and contributed but had a very quiet first half and it's the slow starts that can be costly. Watford had chances. Not sure why we were playing such a high line but I remember Kos scrambling back to clear Deeney's cross. If he'd have missed clearing that it would have been a tap in goal. You mention the one they shanked wide and then we had the ball over the top Merts struggled to deal with and Cech almost blundered.

2nd half we were better but patches where we're not sharp up front and then have that lapse in concentration after 20 mins or so have cost us games before. Not saying it was a really bad game, just saying we've had similar performances and not been so fortunate.

GP
18-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Last night I had a dream that we had loaned Ozil out. I can't remember who it was but I think it was an Italian team who play in blue and white stripes.

Kano
18-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Crucial stretch of games coming up in the Prem, that are going to really give us a clear idea of what this team is about. Everton, Spurs and Swansea. The sort of teams we've struggled against for the past couple of seasons and if we can pick up a couple of wins at least, then this team really might be on the road towards something meaningful.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Crucial stretch of games coming up in the Prem, that are going to really give us a clear idea of what this team is about. Everton, Spurs and Swansea. The sort of teams we've struggled against for the past couple of seasons and if we can pick up a couple of wins at least, then this team really might be on the road towards something meaningful.

We could win our next 10 and it still wouldn't really give us any indication. Examining the history, we are never far from a catastrophic collapse. Better to just hold your breath until it is mathematically impossible for us to fuck up spectacularly. With Arsenal the cliché is valid, you take each game as it comes. If we can avoid that collapse we have a chance of winning this title, provided everyone else remains as inconsistent as they have been so far. We have the best TEAM in the league. The gypos have the best SQUAD. That's what will make the difference in the end I suppose. But if Aguero can remain unfit for as long as possible and if Ozil, Alexis and Coquelin stay fit - we have a chance.

Power n Glory
18-10-2015, 12:45 PM
We could win our next 10 and it still wouldn't really give us any indication. Examining the history, we are never far from a catastrophic collapse. Better to just hold your breath until it is mathematically impossible for us to fuck up spectacularly. With Arsenal the cliché is valid, you take each game as it comes. If we can avoid that collapse we have a chance of winning this title, provided everyone else remains as inconsistent as they have been so far. We have the best TEAM in the league. The gypos have the best SQUAD. That's what will make the difference in the end I suppose. But if Aguero can remain unfit for as long as possible and if Ozil, Alexis and Coquelin stay fit - we have a chance.

That's my attitude. I think we have seen it all with Arsenal. Can only judge game by game and hope we see improvements with each result or a response with every set back.

Kano
18-10-2015, 12:48 PM
I've been banging on about our record against the top 8 over the past couple of seasons and how poor it is. Top four mini-league is one thing but beating those just below is just as important. We can beat the other pub teams regularly, without issue. Man Utd was one marker, making inroads against these teams will be another. Of course you're right, we can balls it up just as we have done before and I won't be completely sold on our chances until we hit April and we're still in with a good shout. Squad management is the key and the biggest doubt given Wenger's recent history. Even if we don't win the league, as long as we have pushed continually until May, then that's enough for me. A competent Arsenal team that can sustain a title push throughout the entire season is the least we can ask for. That would be a massive change from the past decade.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Last night I had a dream that we had loaned Ozil out. I can't remember who it was but I think it was an Italian team who play in blue and white stripes.

That's technically referred to as a nightmare, not a dream.

Niall_Quinn
18-10-2015, 01:15 PM
I've been banging on about our record against the top 8 over the past couple of seasons and how poor it is. Top four mini-league is one thing but beating those just below is just as important. We can beat the other pub teams regularly, without issue. Man Utd was one marker, making inroads against these teams will be another. Of course you're right, we can balls it up just as we have done before and I won't be completely sold on our chances until we hit April and we're still in with a good shout. Squad management is the key and the biggest doubt given Wenger's recent history. Even if we don't win the league, as long as we have pushed continually until May, then that's enough for me. A competent Arsenal team that can sustain a title push throughout the entire season is the least we can ask for. That would be a massive change from the past decade.

And played entertaining football along the way. That will be good enough for me too, and always has been. I'd also like to see us get a fair crack of the whip in the games against the top 4. No more if these stupid interventions by the refs, just let the two teams play it out. It was all well and good the FA reversing Dean's incompetence, but the fact the chavs walked away with 3 points when they were on a downward spiral and we dropped the 3 points that would have seen us sitting top this morning is a huge influence exerted by one tinpot dictator. People will say that's just part of the game, but in fact it isn't. The rules are clear enough. Hopefully the refs will read up on them before taking charge of our bigger matches.

Slacker
18-10-2015, 03:14 PM
That's my attitude. I think we have seen it all with Arsenal. Can only judge game by game and hope we see improvements with each result or a response with every set back.

We struggle against Swansea, fuck knows why. We always sit back against them and let them have a practice session which they invariably win. We never go for the jugular against them, ever. We have trouble against Southampton pretty much the same way.

We are crap at Stoke which is fucking embarrassing against a shocking pub team. 3-0 down after 40 minutes last time out was a total headfuck.

We seem to have lost our way against Spuds as well lately. They murdered us at home last season and we scraped a draw. They beat us at WHL when we played for 45 minutes and then sat back and let them at us for the next half. Unsurprisingly they nicked it before we started playing again and nearly got the draw.

I get where you guys are coming from in that we don't have a clue what we will get. West Ham and fucking Olympiakos proved that. Trust you'll enjoy the ride as much as I will...

Power n Glory
19-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Yep. You just never know what you'll get with Arsenal these days. Just have to buckle up.

Letters
19-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Isn't that so with most clubs?

GP
19-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Isn't that so with most clubs?

No! Teams like Chelsea with proper managers pick up wins consistently.

Letters
19-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Yeah, and you wouldn't see a team like City losing at home to West Ham.

GP
19-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Stop WUMing :rolleyes:

Letters
19-10-2015, 08:47 AM
I am WUMming a bit tbf :lol:

The point is though, all clubs are unpredictable at times. Sport is unpredictable. If it was predictable and the better side always won then it would be boring.

LDG
19-10-2015, 08:51 AM
I am WUMming a bit tbf :lol:

The point is though, all clubs are unpredictable at times. Sport is unpredictable. If it was predictable and the better side always won then it would be boring.

We have been anything by unpredictable the last five or six years. In fact, we've done the same thing year on year in the league, and in the champions league. Which is why people don't really expect anything different this year.

I hope we push on and challenge. Can't see it, but I hope so.

Letters
19-10-2015, 09:03 AM
I can see it and I've explained repeatedly why. Players like Ozil and Sanchez have made a big difference. Cech seems to have too - apparently we've now got the best defensive record.
We're winning games like that Utd one - we wouldn't have in other years.
IMO we've finally got a squad that can compete.

The one concern, raised on MoTD and they for once made a valid point, is we often do this sort of thing but don't sustain it - can we this year? I think we can because I think our squad is better now.
Whether we will...well, that remains to be seen but I do understand people's "believe it when I see it" attitude. IMO we're good enough to compete.

LDG
19-10-2015, 09:19 AM
I can see it and I've explained repeatedly why. Players like Ozil and Sanchez have made a big difference. Cech seems to have too - apparently we've now got the best defensive record.
We're winning games like that Utd one - we wouldn't have in other years.
IMO we've finally got a squad that can compete.

The one concern, raised on MoTD and they for once made a valid point, is we often do this sort of thing but don't sustain it - can we this year? I think we can because I think our squad is better now.
Whether we will...well, that remains to be seen but I do understand people's "believe it when I see it" attitude. IMO we're good enough to compete.

So what I said.

I hope we do though.

Letters
19-10-2015, 09:22 AM
No, not what you said because I've explained why I think (hope, I guess) things are different now.
That Utd game is exactly the sort of game we 'always' lose. But we didn't, we smashed 'em.
Giroud won't win you the league but Sanchez might - we didn't have a player anywhere near that good for most of the time people are talking about - RvP maybe but his supporting cast was pretty mediocre, we have a much better squad now.

LDG
19-10-2015, 09:24 AM
No, not what you said because I've explained why I think (hope, I guess) things are different now.
That Utd game is exactly the sort of game we 'always' lose. But we didn't, we smashed 'em.
Giroud won't win you the league but Sanchez might - we didn't have a player anywhere near that good for most of the time people are talking about - RvP maybe but his supporting cast was pretty mediocre, we have a much better squad now.

I get where you're coming from, but you just said they made a valid point, which is the same point I was making :shrug:

Letters
19-10-2015, 09:35 AM
It IS a valid point, but I also see some signs that things might be different. I guess we'll see in May :pray:

Power n Glory
19-10-2015, 09:47 AM
It IS a valid point, but I also see some signs that things might be different. I guess we'll see in May :pray:

It’s impossible to see signs of consistency until the team are actually being consistent with performances and results. This is a silly debate. We’ve got nothing to draw a pattern from.

Letters
19-10-2015, 09:50 AM
I thought from the start of the calendar year we had got more points than anyone? And this season we're 2nd. Yes, we've dropped silly points here and there but so does every team.

Power n Glory
19-10-2015, 10:07 AM
I thought from the start of the calendar year we had got more points than anyone? And this season we're 2nd. Yes, we've dropped silly points here and there but so does every team.

Yeah, we also had a season where we were top of the table up until January. It goes back to what LDG was saying and what was said on MOTD. We have to show we can perform over the course of the season. Not a patch when we're trying to claim a CL spot.

Niall_Quinn
19-10-2015, 10:08 AM
When the crunch games arrive where we get the chance to put pressure on a rival rather than heap the pressure on ourselves by not turning up, that's when we'll know if something has changed. So far we're okay. ONE game gone, ONE good result. The other big game against the chavs was ruined by that twat Dean so nothing can be learned from that. We fucked up against Liverpool, not really one of the big games but we still could have done with the result there. Six big games to go. If we can win more than we lose then that's a change.

Letters
19-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah, we also had a season where we were top of the table up until January. It goes back to what LDG was saying and what was said on MOTD. We have to show we can perform over the course of the season. Not a patch when we're trying to claim a CL spot.

Doubts will remain till we sustain it all season but there are some causes for optimism.
The Utd game was a good one, I think even Saturday was a good sign - it's a side we should be beating but all the other teams win so it adds a bit of pressure.
It's not just about the big games, you have to be winning most of the more run of the mill ones too. We are so far, let's hope it continues.

selassie
19-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I pretty much agree with the general consensus that we have to wait an see. The cynic in me says we don't have enough to really compete for the title and we'll find a way to f*ck it up somehow.

For every Man United there is an Olympiakos so it's still quite difficult to draw a picture and see where we really are.

Talent wise I think this team is one of the best we have had for years, it's whether they have the mentality and drive to really push on.

Things are looking healthy though league wise, it was a good result on Saturday.

Marc Overmars
19-10-2015, 10:48 AM
We've got a very good and capable squad but unfortunately lingering doubts will always remains for us, more so than any of the other challengers. Well maybe you can put a post-Fergie United in our boat now as well. We've often ridiculed the media for not really giving us the credit we deserve and making patronising comments but we've not really done a whole lot to remove the narrative about us being bogus challengers (see CL this year). In fact, things like being the best calendar year team only further adds to the eyerolling.

We'll see what happens, it looks like we've got a decent shot this year and with a player like Alexis leading the charge you never know. Suarez almost dragged Liverpool there and we've got a better squad than they had.

Kano
19-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Doubts will remain till we sustain it all season but there are some causes for optimism.
The Utd game was a good one, I think even Saturday was a good sign - it's a side we should be beating but all the other teams win so it adds a bit of pressure.
It's not just about the big games, you have to be winning most of the more run of the mill ones too. We are so far, let's hope it continues.
9-20th we'll have no problems turning over most weeks with this squad. The others, the better organised teams with better players is where we need to see a change. Consistency against Southampton, Spurs, Swansea, Everton and Liverpool. Added with a few wins against the top four and then we're talking. Our next stretch of games is important in that regard.