PDA

View Full Version : Transfer News, Rumours and Bollocks Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

AKBapologist
04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Defensively, clichys the 3rd best left back in the league.

In other news:
ARSENAL: The Gunners are completely resigned to losing both Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri this summer, and instead of trying to keep the duo will concentrate on finding replacements. (The Guardian)

isv
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Defensively, clichys the 3rd best left back in the league.

But can you name any real decent right wingers, right midfielders that should give him any trouble.. with better end result theo is probably up there, but as his team mate never played against him, i think theo will make him look silly, if he plays against him...

Kaiser
04-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Nah, Clichy is decent against pure pace if its in front of him. But make him defend a high ball in behind, he doesn't have a clue, given his poor positioning and the lack of cover provided to him by Wilshere and Arshavin/Nasri. Also, any player with trickery, like Nani, has embarrassed him at times, because he stands off so much and lets the winger get the cross in. At Citeh, he should improve given they play with 35673 defensive midfielders and generally hold a deeper line compared to us.

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
There's no doubt you will see a more defensively astute Clichy at Man City.

Clichy. :wave:

Thanks for the many years of service and good luck.

LDG
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
So where exactly are we at the moment. I'm lost. And tbh, didn't really pay much attention over the weekend.

Who is defo gone;

Clichy

Who may go;

Cesc
Nasri
Bender
Denilson
Arshavin

Ins:

Jenko

Possible Ins:

Gervinho
Cahill
Oxface

:dance:

Oh.

:ilt:

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Linked with Kevin Doyle for £12m :lol:A striker that rarely scores, exactly what we need

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Reckon we are going to be hearing bout Bedtners possible move all summer

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Also linked with Shay Given. Considering how shit we are at set pieces, last thing we want is a Hollywood keepr who would rather dive for a shot and tip it over the bar when you can just as easily catch it.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Given wont come and play second fiddle to another young un for half the salary

Sgdnesvy is Wengers first choice

Master Splinter
04-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Linked with Kevin Doyle for £12m :lol:A striker that rarely scores, exactly what we need

The White Heskey tbh.

A Must Not Get.

Master Splinter
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
There's no doubt you will see a more defensively astute Clichy at Man City.

Clichy. :wave:

Thanks for the many years of service and good luck.

Nah. He's scum now.

Anyone who goes to Citeh or Chelsea is.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
The White Heskey tbh.

A Must Not Get.

we get linked with some shit, I tell you!

I mean why even write such a rumour?
Transfer rumours are meant to wet the appetite of a fan, not make them shit bricks

LDG
04-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I hate Vinger :(

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I hate Vinger :(

He is a building a team for the future.

fari
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
damn...this is some realll shit. say what u want about clichy but that guy plays with blood in his shoes every game. i am really concerned about this. we had better effing bring in a good lb as a replacement

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by LDG
I hate Vinger

He is a building a team for the future.

yeah but don't forget we're in a waiting period.......everyone is standing still and hold their cards

jeez Wenger, the next poet laureate

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
damn...this is some realll shit. say what u want about clichy but that guy plays with blood in his shoes every game. i am really concerned about this. we had better effing bring in a good lb as a replacement

It will be Gibbs

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
It will be Gibbs

yay

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 11:49 AM
yup.....just as Gael was Cashley's

it will not suprise me at all......unless Wenger has plans for Tomas to move over and buy in 2 news CBs........cn see raid on Ligue 1 on the horizon

selassie
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
It will be Gibbs

Yep. I'd be very surprised if Arsene is in the market for a first choice left back, I think he may go looking for an obscure young left back to be Gibbs's understudy. I don't think he fully trusts Traore or Pedro Botelho.

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
yup.....just as Gael was Cashley's

it will not suprise me at all......unless Wenger has plans for Tomas to move over and buy in 2 news CBs........cn see raid on Ligue 1 on the horizon

It was said a couple of weeks ago that we'd get Cahill and Samba in and move Vermaelen to left back but we all know Wenger wont do that.

Firstly, buy 2 decent CBs? :lol:

And then deny Gibbs his left back spot no matter how shit he is? :lol:

Niall_Quinn
04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Aren't City cheating on the waiting period? What's teh point in having a waiting period if nobody is waiting? It's not fair! UEFA need to do something about this. We need to have regulations that enforce the waiting period because plainly some teams can't be trusted to do what Wenger tells them.

IBK
04-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Aren't City cheating on the waiting period? What's teh point in having a waiting period if nobody is waiting? It's not fair! UEFA need to do something about this. We need to have regulations that enforce the waiting period because plainly some teams can't be trusted to do what Wenger tells them.

:lol:

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
The waiting period. :bow:

Classic Wenger idiom.

KESSLER
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM

ahahahahahahah

Wenger has lost the plot, needs to gtfo

Özim
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
It will be Gibbs
I'd rather we played with 10 men, he can't defend and at least if we did play with 10 someone else might consider coming across.

Özim
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
How about extra points for goals and no penalty for conceding a hatful?

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Wenger :bow:

It is impressive how far one man can fall.

His managing is crap, his coaching is crap, his talking is crap.

Boss
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Bolton boss Owen Coyle says the club have not received a concrete offer from Arsenal for defender Gary Cahill, despite Arsene Wenger's rumoured interest in the England centre-back.

Wenger is known to be in the market for a defender, having been highly critical of his side's backline during the Gunners' implosion at the end of last season - and Cahill, who reportedly has a £17 million release fee in his contract, is at the top of his shopping list.

The Gunners boss said at the weekend he was "very active on the phone", leading to speculation he had fired off a series of bids - but there was no offer for Cahill, according to Coyle.

"Gary has been the subject of speculation every day, probably to the point he is frustrated by it," he said. "I have been very open. Some of the elite clubs in this country have noted their interest. But there has been nothing concrete. Until that changes, Gary is a Bolton player."

Arsenal will be in dire need of defensive reinforcements if, as expected, Gael Clichy completes a move to Manchester City this week. The France international is in Manchester for a medical ahead of a £7 million move to Eastlands.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/932048/bolton-have-not-received-a-concrete-offer-for-gary-cahill?cc=4716

Olivier's xmas twist
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Are we any near to even Sigining Gervino then we were in may. taking a bit long that deal. Shame we may not get Alverez though.

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Are we any near to even Sigining Gervino then we were in may. taking a bit long that deal. Shame we may not get Alverez though.

We're a few days away :coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
We're a few days away

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Owen Coyle saying there have been no offers for Cahill from Arsenal yet.

Obviously not, we're still in the waiting period

LDG
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Owen Coyle saying there have been no offers for Cahill from Arsenal yet.

Obviously not, we're still in the waiting period

Can't wait for the waiting period to end.

Joker
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
So now that City are going to complete the Clichy signing, has the starting gun been fired and can we all look forward to movement in the transfer window from us? Fat chance tbh, Wenger's probably going to just come up with another shit excuse for our lack of activity in the transfer market.

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Can't wait for the waiting period to end.

The waiting period ends Sept 1st. :coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 03:33 PM
The waiting period ends Sept 1st. :coffee:

so now we are in the waiting period waiting for Wengers waiting period to end

but I'm with Joker, surely by Citeh signing Clichy someone has laid the first card, our turn to follow, right?

lost an LB so time to get another in...........and no not Gervinho

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I think we might sign Kevin Doyle you know.

:unsure:

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I think we might sign Kevin Doyle you know.

first the photo of Gael and now this.........you on wind up mode Marc?

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Dunno man. I remember in the past Vinger has spoken about him in a good light, so I think there could be something in the rumours. We certainly aren't going to sign the likes of Benzema or Falcao for 25m IMO, so Doyle is probably around the level we are looking at. :(

LDG
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Dunno man. I remember in the past Vinger has spoken about him in a good light, so I think there could be something in the rumours. We certainly aren't going to sign the likes of Benzema or Falcao for 25m IMO, so Doyle is probably around the level we are looking at. :(

If it happened, I'd be fucked right off.

He should be going all out for someone like Benzema. The boost his signing would give the club would be worth the extra cash IMO.

Who wants a Doyle shirt when you can have a Benzema one.

Japan Shaking All Over
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM

LDG you can have the gun now if you want

TBH think its rehased paper talk

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 04:08 PM
In other news, SSN "understands" that we are interested in Scott Dann but face competition from Chelsea.

Mr.Singh
04-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Dark days ahead for Arsenal if we are going in for players like Scott Dann

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Dark days ahead for Arsenal if we are going in for players like Scott Dann

We already are in dark days. Arsene and his merry bunch of followers have destroyed any hope Arsenal fans had.

Mr.Singh
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Gael Clichy in 2009: 'I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City'

Eat your words Gael

Joker
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Kevin Doyle is not the type of player who's going to help us win trophies. He's decent enough, but we need more than simply "decent" if we want to improve and break this cycle of stagnation that we're in at the moment.

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Gael Clichy in 2009: 'I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City'

Eat your words Gael

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/5906478/Arsenals-Gael-Clichy-advises-top-four-players-against-temptation-of-Manchester-Citys-riches.html

Elreactor
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Maybe a certain club that only thinks about money, sent him to manchester City.

Not that he would´ve had contributed a lot to get a trophy anyway.

Mr.Singh
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Wenger is a shit stabber

Grebbo
04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Have we signed any shite or shite with potential yet?

Bergkampwonderland10
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
:trophy:
Have we signed any shite or shite with potential yet?

Cripps_orig
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3676861/Brit-lad-Kai-Fifield-7-nabs-a-trial-for-Barcelona.html

We'll be signing him in 10 years then and then he'll be pining for a move and acting a cunt like Cesc

Ralpheroo72
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
There wont be any signings (of note). He said it will be late July, and when its late July, it will then be late August. He is a stubborn fuck, im over it now.

AKBapologist
04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
http://mformethod.com/bin/338080260.jpg

Sirjackofwilshere
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Fuck Cesc and fuck Farca. He can sit in the reserves if all they're offering is 31.

Darth Vela
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
We sell a guy who's not exactly been putting in stellar performances whilst City look to be losing their best player and it's a bad day for us?

Niall_Quinn
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Brings the Nasri deal one step closer I suppose.

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Song going to jail? :lol:

budesonide
04-07-2011, 10:55 PM
We sell a guy who's not exactly been putting in stellar performances whilst City look to be losing their best player and it's a bad day for us?

because City will will spend or top-up and spend whatever money they get from the sale in adequate re-inforcement?

budesonide
04-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Song going to jail? :lol:

wenger is a wan*ker!

:wink:

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Tevez confirms he is doing one, for family reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14024006.stm

City. :pal:

Darth Vela
04-07-2011, 11:17 PM
because City will will spend or top-up and spend whatever money they get from the sale in adequate re-inforcement?

We can and will get an adequate replacement, we're losing a decent player who has got a bit stale, they're losing their best player and it ain't gonna be easy to find someone with the bullish power, technical prowess and work rate to replace him.

I would rather lose a Clichy than a Tevez any day.

Marc Overmars
04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/337998520.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1309823045&Signature=nM48he5JvyL63qxNWQkEjzsyDhw%3D

Scholes rightly criticising us in tomorrows rags.

Ralpheroo72
04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
We can and will get an adequate replacement, we're losing a decent player who has got a bit stale, they're losing their best player and it ain't gonna be easy to find someone with the bullish power, technical prowess and work rate to replace him.

I would rather lose a Clichy than a Tevez any day.

If his is to be believed, we wont be replacing Clichy

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/reluctant-wenger-puts-16325m-price-tag-on-nasri-2307031.html?

If this is true, Wenger has lost the plot for sure. Get him out for fuck sake, this club is being run by clueless fucking idiots!!!!!:banghead:

Elreactor
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/reluctant-wenger-puts-16325m-price-tag-on-nasri-2307031.html?

If this is true, Wenger has lost the plot for sure. Get him out for fuck sake, this club is being run by clueless fucking idiots!!!!!:banghead:

:haha:

Nah the press are surely taking the piss. No way that can be true, how many players will mutd be able to get?? Young and Nasri together?? mutd getting Nasri, from Arsenal, for 25M? Invariably a joke :lol:

Cripps_orig
05-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is to make Lyon's Aly Cissokho his prime target to fill the vacant left-back position after the departure of Gael Clichy to Manchester City.Full story: footybunkerWenger also wants to sell Samir Nasri to an overseas club, rather than to Manchester United or Manchester City, if he cannot be persuaded to sign a new contract with the Gunners. Italian giants Inter Milan are one of the clubs said to be interested. Full story: Daily MirrorBut Wenger will aim to show Arsenal fans that the club still have ambition by making big money offers for Lille playmaker Eden Hazard and Valencia attacker Juan Mata. Full story: caughtoffsideCan someone please tell our twat of a manager there are better left back options in our league?

Elreactor
05-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Can someone please tell our twat of a manager there are better left back options in our league?

He´s already at Lyon? They´ll rip us off. Why didn´t Wenger detect him when he was cheaper?

Anyway, although it´s old and he may have solved it by now...

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/2176/serie-a/2009/06/17/1330743/exclusive-medical-expert-gives-views-on-aly-cissokhos-teeth

Wenger surely knows

Japan Shaking All Over
05-07-2011, 06:06 AM
whether its true or not, I have stopped caring but this

- caughtoffside - Arsene Wenger is determined to bring in quality additions this summer to help prove to his Arsenal’s top performers, and the club’s supporters, that both he and Arsenal Football Club do have the ambition and funds to fight for major honours. The embattled French Gunners boss will make big money offers for Lille playmaker Eden Hazard and Valencia attacker Juan Mata.

is what I call an interesting treansfer gossip

dazthegooner
05-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Well if players want to leave quite honestly they can fuck off they say they want to win things... Hang on they are the reason we haven't won anything self deluding fuckers, but yes Wenger needs to buy and buy big and show that we at long last mean business.

selassie
05-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Can someone please tell our twat of a manager there are better left back options in our league?

Lyon bought Cissoko for 15million from Porto a couple of seasons back, he won't be coming here for anything less than 20million IMHO. We won't be signing him.

He's a great player though, one of the best in the business IMHO.

P.S. I honestly think Clichy's replacement is going to be Gibbs. Wenger may go in the market for a cheap understudy to Gibbs, probably someone from France that we've never heard of before.

Özim
05-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Lyon bought Cissoko for 15million from Porto a couple of seasons back, he won't be coming here for anything less than 20million IMHO. We won't be signing him.

He's a great player though, one of the best in the business IMHO.

P.S. I honestly think Clichy's replacement is going to be Gibbs. Wenger may go in the market for a cheap understudy to Gibbs, probably someone from France that we've never heard of before.
We won't be signing Hazard or Mata either....pretty much a non story.

selassie
05-07-2011, 08:40 AM
We won't be signing Hazard or Mata either....pretty much a non story.

Oh I agree Zimm.

I'm so fed up with Arsene...I really have no idea why he can't make his moves in the market now what the hell are we waiting for? :o

Özim
05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh I agree Zimm.

I'm so fed up with Arsene...I really have no idea why he can't make his moves in the market now what the hell are we waiting for? :o
He's on his periodwaiting period.

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 09:20 AM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/spanish-shocker-el-mundo-deportivo-admit-that-cesc-fabregas-may-stay-at-arsenal/97974/

Boss
05-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Arsenal have failed with a last ditch attempt to hijack Roma's deal for Ajax goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg, sources in Holland have confirmed.

The 28-year-old had been holding talks with the Italian outfit over a £7million switch, but Arsenal stepped in and made their move on Monday, only for the Dutch international to rebuff their advances.

The Gunners are said to be looking for competition for Polish 'keepers Wojciech Szczęsny and Łukasz Fabiański, with Jens Lehmann being released and youngster Vito Mannone interesting a number of Championship clubs.

However, despite contacting Stekelenburg's representatives, Arsenal failed to convince the player to break off his verbal agreement to join Roma.
He is expected to complete the move to the Stadio Olimpico early next week.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8805/2/arsenal-fail-last-ditch-bid-stekelenburg?

Interesting that we're still looking for a GK.

Have to say 7M is a decent price for a player of his quality, don't know why we don't move earlier on these things.

milla
05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8805/2/arsenal-fail-last-ditch-bid-stekelenburg?

Interesting that we're still looking for a GK.

Have to say 7M is a decent price for a player of his quality, don't know why we don't move earlier on these things.

With Almunia as 3rd choice GK, this position is no longer a priority IMO. :coffee:

Darth Vela
05-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Tbf, Vermalen does like to rampage forwards and it wouldn't be the worst idea but I'm still pretty sure we'll buy in a replacement.

LDG
05-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Tbf, Vermalen does like to rampage forwards and it wouldn't be the worst idea but I'm still pretty sure we'll buy in a replacement.

It all depends on how we set up.

If we're reverting back to a more solid 4-4-2 with wingers, we don't need vermaelen as much as we needed clichy's pace. the defence would certainly sure up.

If we switch verms there, I would say that it's more likely we're buying a winger and a striker, plus 2 CB's.

Darth Vela
05-07-2011, 10:38 AM
That would also imply Cesc would be on his way out, I guess.

Hopefully we just buy Baines as he can tell RvP to piss off when there's a free-kick to be taken as well, and we buy a striker, winger and a few CBs too.

Boss
05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Inter have completed the signing of midfielder Ricky Alvarez from Argentine champions Velez Sarsfield for a fee of €12 million (£10.8m), according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

A report last week suggested that both clubs had reached an agreement over a transfer fee, and the world champions have now agreed terms with the player over a five-year deal worth €1.8m (£1.6m) per year.

Inter will reportedly pay Velez Sarsfield an initial fee of €5.7m (£5.1m), while another €3.5m (£3.1m) will be paid after Alvarez has made 15 appearances for the club - €1m (£900,000) after five games, €1m (£900,000) after 10 games and €1.5m (£1.3m) after 15 games - amounting to €9.2m (£8.2m) in total. The remaining €2.8m (£2.5m) relates to taxes that the Italian giants have agreed to pay.

The 2010 Champions League winners have been eager to add some creativity to their midfield ahead of the 2011-12 campaign, and new head coach Gian Piero Gasperini appears to have landed the reinforcement he was searching for in the form of Alvarez.

The 23-year-old, who has also been linked with a move to Arsenal, made his Velez debut in 2008, helping the side to the 2011 Clausura title with a number of impressive performances. Both clubs have yet to confirm the transfer, but an official statement is expected to be released shortly.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276/serie-a/2011/07/05/2561420/inter-sign-arsenal-target-ricky-alvarez-from-velez-sarsfield?

Coney
05-07-2011, 11:09 AM
The thing is that until we know who we are going to be buying this transfer window, then selling off Clichy, Nasri and Cesc will have an unknown effect. There is some exaggeration going on. We have got results in a lot of matches when Nasri, Clichy and Cesc have been out. The other factor of selling to clubs like citeh is less of an issue. OK, so Nasri can play well. But if citeh were to be stopped from buying him because we sold him abroad, citeh would then use their buying power to buy a top player elsewhere. I don't think not selling him to citeh will make that much difference to what we will be up against next year. Given that it is his last year and wants out, if we can get upwards of 20million for him, we have to take it as long as that money will be added to our spending on players we need in the club. In the long run - even just next season, selling Nasri and Cesc for what we can get and buying in some backbone and a couple of other decent players would put us in a much better position for competing next season.

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Greg Cross (@GregCross82) I make that Jones, Stekelenberg, Varane and Alvarez missed out on because of a) haggling over a small difference, or b) acting far too late.

LDG
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I think you just have to look at it logically.

Where are we weakest, and what has let us down?

Defence:

We need leadship, organisation and the ability to be strong under pressure rather than buckling at every set peice. Answer: Less cavalier approach, buy in established CB(s) for organisation and stability at set plays, and erradicate the source of most of our problems defensively in open play, namely LB.

Midfield:

Our hub of creativity. Suffered imeasurably in the last half of the season when every team sits back and hits on the counter. We were stifled in the final third and goals were hard to come by. Answer: Change style, become more direct, add width and dynamism.

Attack:

One up top clearly doesn't work if we don't play to the strengths of that player. With RVP dropping deep, we inevitably end up with nobody in the box, EVER. Answer: Get someone to play with RVP, getting the best our of the forward line, and be supplied by width and dynamism from midfield.

To me, we have needed to change back to a more simple, direct system for the last two years. If replacing clichy with solidarity at LB is the first part of it, and selling off some of the slow creative build-up in midfield is the next part, then I'm all for it.

But we need to buy another winger. We need two CB's. And we need a striker.

Now. Due to the rules regarding homegrown talent. We need to fulfill our quota, and ridding ourselves of clichy and cesc, possibly bender, denilson, means we need to promote at least two/three players to the first team squad. I'm not completely sure of all the rules here....perhaps someone can enlighten us.

In any case, the squad rules mean that buying in shitloads of readymade players is not an option. We're not allowed...so to a degree, we need to be savvy about stuff....

Joker
05-07-2011, 11:28 AM
According to the Guardian, there's a meeting today between Cesc and Arsenal representatives, where he'll tell them that he wants out of the club.

Kano
05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
good thing, i'm sure they weren't aware of that by now

Marc Overmars
05-07-2011, 11:37 AM
How's the waiting period coming along?

LDG
05-07-2011, 11:39 AM
How's the waiting period coming along?

We're waiting 2% less than yesterday.

KSE Comedy Club
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
So, who havent we signed yet?

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Now. Due to the rules regarding homegrown talent. We need to fulfill our quota, and ridding ourselves of clichy and cesc, possibly bender, denilson, means we need to promote at least two/three players to the first team squad. I'm not completely sure of all the rules here....perhaps someone can enlighten us.
If only someone made a thread on GW explaining how the team shaped up in relation to the EPL home grown rules... (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=408)

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Yay?
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01072011/58/ligue-1-gervinho-confirms-arsenal-move.html

Still hasn't been confirmed by the club yet.

Boss
05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
An influential Arsenal supporters group has backed the club's transfer policy - but has warned there will be demonstrations against the board if top-class signings do not arrive this summer.

Fans are up in arms after Gael Clichy joined Manchester City for £7million, with Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri also rumoured to be on their way.

That has led to fears that Arsene Wenger's side will lose their place at the top table of English football. Fans are already furious after six years without a trophy, combined with a 6.5 per cent rise in ticket prices last season.

Fans group 'Where has our Arsenal gone' organised a protest march about the price rise before the final home game of last season, and they admit they are hugely worried about the current situation.

But they say that the club should sell players who hold the club to ransom - although they have warned more protest marches could be held if the club does not show ambition in the transfer market.

"As supporters of Arsenal we don't want to see our best players leave," explained the group in a statement. "However, if they try and hold the club to ransom with extortionate wage demands or if they don't want to play for the club, we should let them leave - as long as the club is suitably remunerated.

"No player is bigger than the club and as much as they may have kissed the badge in the past, they will never have as much affinity for The Arsenal as we do. So thanks for your service but if you don't want to be here, good luck elsewhere.

"As fans we are having to put up with constant press stories about key players leaving, we're back in pre-season training and no established quality has been brought in to bolster the squad, and there's still complete silence from the club's new majority shareholder with no comment regarding his intentions for the club.

"All these factors are making fans feel very concerned for our prospects in the coming season, and given the large price hikes, morale is [in our opinion] the lowest it's been for around twenty years.

"We are not being roped into the corny 'keep the faith' line because for too many loyal, long-term fans, that faith has been consistently thrown back in our faces. We're just saying watch this space..."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8812/1/arsenal-supporters-group-urges-wenger-sell-wantaway-stars?

Letters :bow: :bow:

LDG
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
If only someone made a thread on GW explaining how the team shaped up in relation to the EPL home grown rules... (http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=408)

Yeah...errmmm....saw that right after I posted :d

Still....my point stands nonetheless.

Master Splinter
05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
up in arms

fears

furious

hugely worried

warned

rumour

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8812/1/arsenal-supporters-group-urges-wenger-sell-wantaway-stars?

Summer transfer season: serious business :bow:

Grebbo
05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Gervinho can go fuck himself.

Boss
05-07-2011, 12:51 PM
1307: News from our man Andy Brassell on Twitter: "Jeremie Aliadiere signs 1-yr deal with Lorient, w/option of 3 more." Remember him?

Straight swap for Chamakh IMO

Master Splinter
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Lorient have replaced Gameiro with Aliadiere :lol:.

Arsenal fans think they have it bad.

IBK
05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
The thing is that until we know who we are going to be buying this transfer window, then selling off Clichy, Nasri and Cesc will have an unknown effect. There is some exaggeration going on. We have got results in a lot of matches when Nasri, Clichy and Cesc have been out. The other factor of selling to clubs like citeh is less of an issue. OK, so Nasri can play well. But if citeh were to be stopped from buying him because we sold him abroad, citeh would then use their buying power to buy a top player elsewhere. I don't think not selling him to citeh will make that much difference to what we will be up against next year. Given that it is his last year and wants out, if we can get upwards of 20million for him, we have to take it as long as that money will be added to our spending on players we need in the club. In the long run - even just next season, selling Nasri and Cesc for what we can get and buying in some backbone and a couple of other decent players would put us in a much better position for competing next season.

Good take, Coney. Hadn't thought of it that way. At least if we sell him to Citeh we get some spending money. As opposed to keeping an uncommitted player while they purchase equivalent talent anyway.

Boss
05-07-2011, 01:52 PM
DONE DEAL: Fabio Coentrao has completed his move from Benfica to Real Madrid. Here's the statement from the Portuguese club:

Sport Lisboa e Benfica, in agreement with the terms of article 248 of the stock market values code, informs that it has reached an agreement in principle with Real Madrid CF for the complete transfer, total sporting and economic rights of the athlete Fabio Coentrao for the value of €30m.

The aforementioned agreement will be formalised as soon as the player concludes the medical examinations he will be undertaking with the consent of Sport Lisboa e Benfica, and a working contract between the player and Real Madrid FC agreed.

Don't think he's worth that.

Master Splinter
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't think he's worth that.

As one of the best left-backs in the world and in this day and age of inflated tranfer fees, it's not that much money really.

Coney
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
This made me laugh...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14029622.stm

Apart from wanting at least 40+M for him (on some reports they had put a 50M price tag on him) it also needs someone to match his wage demands of 200,000 a week. Now if we could have done a sneaky bid with a sensible wage, I'd have thought of taking him as although he is hideously ugly, he is very dangerous near the goal and the kind of thing we have needed for years. But 200k on top of the huge price - who is going to pay that kind of money?

Master Splinter
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
This made me laugh...

But 200k on top of the huge price - who is going to pay that kind of money?

Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG and Citeh.

As in the handful of clubs who will have a monopoly in the sporting arena of football if FIFA don't act. Which they won't.

Who was it that wanted a European Super League? Well there it is. Billionaire businessmen/governments/gangsters deciding who rules the roost rather than the talent of football players and managers.

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
All the teams the finished ahead of us in the league, PSG, Munich and the top two teams from Spain.

In other news, nick "I'm 100% leaving" bentdner reports for duty this pre season.
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg612/scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=h1kbp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Master Splinter
05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
In other news, nick "I'm 100% leaving" bentdner reports for duty this pre season.
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg612/scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=h1kbp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Would be more useful for Dennis Bendtner to do that on the pitch rather than trying to control the ball and ruin our every attack.

LDG
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
No Cesc, RVP, Nasri or Arshavin in first training pics released on arse.com.

Bender and Denilson were though.

Also Ryo Miyaichi.

Ryo :bow:

Japan Shaking All Over
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Happy to see Ryo.....wonder whats going to happen to him this year

AWOL posse a bit sad......but being senior members and all that......proabably were spared the early stretches, right?

(shit LDG, thought no one was about? was waiting around for NQ's opinion on Fox's Viennese sandwich biscuits!!? (see general chat) - I for one love the raspberry jam part - best be off myself actually)

Niall_Quinn
05-07-2011, 06:42 PM
was waiting around for NQ's opinion on Fox's Viennese sandwich biscuits!!

I shit 'em - that's what!

Some of the players who had International commitments aren't due back in training 'till Thursday I believe.

alexander
05-07-2011, 06:58 PM
No Cesc, RVP, Nasri or Arshavin in first training pics released on arse.com.

Bender and Denilson were though.

Also Ryo Miyaichi.

Ryo :bow:

Just had a peek at those pics. What in the name of all things sane is Eboue wearing!

Seeing him like that thinks we should just hold on to him for a laugh.

Marc Overmars
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
The big guns are due back on Thursday because they played internationals last month. Wonder if Cesc and Nasri turn up?

Surprised Denilson had the cheek to show his face after his heartfelt exit story. Cunt.

alexander
05-07-2011, 07:22 PM
The big guns are due back on Thursday because they played internationals last month. Wonder if Cesc and Nasri turn up?

Surprised Denilson had the cheek to show his face after his heartfelt exit story. Cunt.

`Arsenal insider` on twitter said Cesc was there, to welcome all the players back.

Boss
05-07-2011, 07:39 PM
According to The Daily Mirror's John Cross, the journalist considered to be closest to Arsenal, Diaby is 'available for transfer' but is unlikely to be sold this summer because 'he is injured and is likely to miss the start of the season and Arsenal will struggle to shift the £60,000-a-week midfielder in that condition'.

Presuming that figure is roughly correct and that Arsenal would expect to receive £10m for the French international, his latest setback thus adds up to a £15m setback. Food for thought, surely, for those Arsenal supporters contemplating a 6.5% increase in the price of their season tickets.

It remains unclear, meanwhile, just when and how Diaby's latest injury was inflicted given that the Gunners only returned to training on Monday and, after a month on the sidelines, he briefly returned to fitness for their final match of last season.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7021179/?

rofl.

Sirjackofwilshere
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Have we signed anyone yet?

:partytime::jumpnana::popcorn:

Marc Overmars
05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I'd be surprised if that oaf wasn't injured.

He is damaged goods like most of our squaddies, looks like we might have to pay someone to take them off our hands.

alexander
05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7021179/?

rofl.

what a fucking joke. Every bit of this story. 10mil. 60k a week. injured in close season.

christ almighty.

Özim
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM

He is damaged goods like most of our squaddies, looks like we might have to pay someone to take them off our hands.
Wenger hand picked these guys claiming they were the "best ever group he's ever had", he decided to make sure they were paid large amounts (for odd reasons nobody understands) and now we can't get rid of any of these f*ckers.

We've got a squad of players we'd like to get rid of but nobody wants, the only players people are interested in are our top players (the ones we'd ideally prefer to keep).

I'd say the Wenger magic has well and truly worn off, once upon a time even our shite players would be snapped up by big clubs.

milla
05-07-2011, 08:13 PM

I blame Wenger and his medical team. If we sold Diaby to another club, he will probably be fully fit for the rest of his career LOL. :coffee:

Keith
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
`Arsenal insider` on twitter said Cesc was there, to welcome all the players back.

As Cesc missed the internationals he was due to return today with the rest of those who didn't play.

Question is, did he return injured?

Grebbo
05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Still waiting :scarf:

GP
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM

What for?

Xhaka Can’t
05-07-2011, 10:25 PM

I knew you were waiting!

Ironing
05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2laajxk.jpg

Grebbo
05-07-2011, 10:45 PM
What for?

Dunno

GP
05-07-2011, 10:47 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2laajxk.jpg

Ryo: Huh? I don't speak Korean!

Niall_Quinn
05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Ryo: Huh? I don't speak Korean!

Laugh at my bra again and you get another smack mo'fo.

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 10:58 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011633/Samir-Nasri-set-19m-Manchester-City-switch.html

Oh well

WengerISaLizard
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm hoping ryo stays with the squad, he could be used as a super sub and the carling cup, good player, theo with a brain

Ralpheroo72
05-07-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011633/Samir-Nasri-set-19m-Manchester-City-switch.html?

Nasri gone now. Would the last player to leave the stadium please turn the lights out.

Arsenal, once great, now a shambles.

Ollie the Optimist
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011633/Samir-Nasri-set-19m-Manchester-City-switch.html?

Nasri gone now. Would the last player to leave the stadium please turn the lights out.

Arsenal, once great, now a shambles.

good ridance to the money grabbing whore. him and ade can sit on the bench and talk about how great it is to be cunts to the club they owe everything too

Marc Overmars
05-07-2011, 11:14 PM
At least we won't have to hear that crap song about him anymore.

Adding an 'e' to his name because there isn't enough syllables.

Pathetic.

WengerISaLizard
05-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Gervinho, 2 youths IN

Nasri and Clichy OUT

and losing out on a potential nobody (alvarez)

yep, we are getting so much stronger, can't wait for the new season

http://i55.tinypic.com/32znp1s.jpg

Ralpheroo72
05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
good ridance to the money grabbing whore. him and ade can sit on the bench and talk about how great it is to be cunts to the club they owe everything too

Yeah, and our manager ill replace them with 2 16 year olds from Norway! Definitely going in the right direction. I remember when we used to keep our best players. Pity our manager is a useless twat.

AKBapologist
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/257064/Arsene-Wenger-ups-ante-in-Samir-Nasri-dispute?

and

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/tim-payton-two-billionaires-no-buys-arsenal-must-smarten-up-2307444.html?

Cripps_orig
05-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Arsenal will tell Samir Nasri he is not for sale. Even a bid of £25million for the midfielder - who is a target for Manchester United, Manchester City and Inter Milan - is unlikely to be enough to change their mind.Full story: Daily MirrorArsenal's Armand Traore is being looked at by German clubs Hamburg and Werder Bremen. Both sides are considering making an official approach for the Frenchman.Full story: Footie-OnlineInter Milan admit they need to sell before they buy this summer, opening the door for Manchester United to bid for £35m rated Wesley Sneijder. Full story: Daily MirrorArsene Wenger is considering a bid for Everton and England left back Leighton Baines in an effort to boost the team after the loss of Gael Clichy.Full story: footybunker.comNeil Warnock thinks Adel Taarabt will quit QPR to join his 'friends' at Arsenal.Full story: MetroSo Wenger grew some balls and Nasris staying? Yeah rightTraore :lol: I forgot he was another failed youth project memberStraight swap Cesc and Sneijder. We get the better player. They get a cunt who will pine for Barca and play shit all season.Baines would be great. Won't happen. We have Gibbs.Don't need the Spud reject here. He's a bit shit

Niall_Quinn
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
The Daily Mail is an embarrassingly poor newspaper, whether it's politics, economics, crime, sport, it just makes up whatever shit it thinks will sell its rag to the most gullible punters. Staffed by cunts, run by whores.

Just like any other newspaper then and hopefully wrong in this instance because I can't conceive us selling Nasri to our major rivals. It would mean the end of our club as a serious footballing outfit, not because Nasri is bigger than Arsenal but because the twats currently in charge will have declared quite openly they have no interest in football matters.

The "Two Billionaires" story in the Independent makes you stop and think. It's true, isn't it, two billionaires and neither of the cunts has lifted a finger. Useless wankers. Trust us to have miserly "sugar daddies". These are daddies that want to touch us in inappropriate places but don't want to buy us the fucking lollipop first. Cunts.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Morning Niall:tiphat:

to be honest your first post of the day usually has more truth in it then the all of the morning papers do put together - read through it a bit quick like, as I am off to a meeting (5pm over here) but am sure to give it another look over in a mo!

Nasri as with Cesc just want to see a conclusion - happy to see is stick to our guns but would hate to have to listen to the bitches go on and on for another year
we may slip back by seeing them off but I want to see us fight and I want to see the kind of players that would die in their boots for the good of the team not for their next big pay day.....

God to hell with them.....but ship them off to Europe - Clichy to Citeh I can handle and Ade cos I never thought he would be good for them but....Nasri still undecided about this one - really I wnated him to stay and take over Cesc's position but if he wants out.....so be it but get what we can

(mixed message I know - writing in a massive rush)

Özim
06-07-2011, 08:05 AM
He wanted to win stuff, not his fault Wenger is a muppet who is happy with 4th!

Oh and what does he owe us exactly, he's got f*ck all medals and was pretty well known at his last club, we've hardly improved his career that much.

Özim
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
if we do lose Nasri it's not a good thing, Wenger isn't going to replace these guys....and the trouble is if we lost 3 and signed two he'd ignore the players we sold and say we have signed two new players.

We'll never sign 5-6 players in a transfer window.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 08:08 AM
It's good if we are getting tough with Nasri but unless that involves him signing a new contract then we don't have much to bargain with.

Özim
06-07-2011, 08:09 AM
It's good if we are getting tough with Nasri but unless that involves him signing a new contract then we don't have much to bargain with.
Very true, we'll lose him for nothing next season....it's lose lose really.

The best thing would have been for Wenger to convince him to stay by signing some quality, too much to ask obviously.

Kano
06-07-2011, 08:17 AM
fuck me, one article says he is gone for £19m another says we wont let him go at all and still like sheep people gobble it all up.

someone needs to cut the football 24/7 drip before there are some serious OD's

Boss
06-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Aston Villa have turned down a second bid from Liverpool for England midfielder Stewart Downing, according to reports.

Downing, 26, has two years left on his contract, but has told the club that he is not willing to extend his deal after watching the likes of Ashley Young leave for pastures new this summer.

Liverpool's initial bid for the winger was £12 million, but they have returned with an offer closer to £15 million which has reportedly been rejected again by the Villa board, as they are looking for closer to £20 million in order to rebuild their squad ahead of the new season.

Villa's Player of the Year last season, Downing's form in the Premier League has been impressive and the Reds are keen to bring him to Anfield, possibly offering David Ngog, who rejected a part-exchange role in Liverpool's acquisition of Jordan Henderson from Sunderland, as a makeweight in any deal.

Negotiations for the transfer of Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam are also believed to be ongoing, although the Seasiders are reportedly holding out for at least £9 million.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/932382/aston-villa-reject-second-liverpool-stewart-downing-bid---report?cc=4716

Hope they sign him ASAP.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
What a joke that Downing can command as much as Nasri.

AKBapologist
06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Downing isn't on the last year of his contract

Also
http://bit.ly/pYH35b

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
It's probably Chelsea but we can hope I guess.

Özim
06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
It's probably Chelsea but we can hope I guess.
:lol: Yeah no chance, he isn't coming our way for sure.

I remember when a report came out Mascherano and Tevez had signed for a London club and we all thought it was us, then it turned out to be West Ham! We kinda know that smaller clubs are more likely to sign well known players than us.

Boss
06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Linked to Thiago Motta by the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011716/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-targets-Thiago-Motta.html?

meh

LDG
06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
I remember when a report came out Mascherano and Tevez had signed for a London club and we all thought it was us, then it turned out to be West Ham! We kinda know that smaller clubs are more likely to sign well known players than us.

I thought you were more intellegent than that.

Özim
06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Linked to Thiago Motta by the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011716/Arsenal-boss-Arsene-Wenger-targets-Thiago-Motta.html?

meh
He's sh*t, no thanks.

Özim
06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I thought you were more intellegent than that.
We all make mistakes.

LDG
06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
We all make mistakes.

;)

LDG
06-07-2011, 09:28 AM
This is well depressing.

Letters
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
This is well depressing.

I suggest we spend all summer moaning our moany tits off about it all.

Grebbo
06-07-2011, 09:43 AM
This is well depressing.

Even if we sell all of our star players and don't replace them it won't be more depressing than last summer:

Refusing to pay £4m for a new GK and instead have El Poodle remain our no. 1
Signing the glorious three of Squid, Kos and Spak

That has got to be the worst summer in the history of the club.

Letters
06-07-2011, 09:45 AM

:doh:

Grebbo
06-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Great input as always

Letters
06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Great input as always

You don't think your post was ridiculous hyperbole?

Grebbo
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
You don't think your post was ridiculous hyperbole?

Nope. It was certainly the worst summer of Wenger's 13 yrs. If he'd have done his job properly we would have won the league this season.

And now all of our star players want to leave because of his fuck up.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4360113793_7a39fc8cae.jpg

cough cough!

Flavs
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/pre-season-training-picture-special

Hmm no Nasri and no Cesc but Ryo, Armand and all the old dross are there, i know we cant take much from this and loans and transfers in will happen but still seems sad that the likes of Rosicky, Eboue, bendtner etc are still here.

Kano
06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
it's a problem facing everyone in football at the moment, trying to offload players deemed as surplus to requirements but struggling to find buyers due to the wages they are on

Letters
06-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Nope. It was certainly the worst summer of Wenger's 13 yrs. If he'd have done his job properly we would have won the league this season.

And now all of our star players want to leave because of his fuck up.

Saying it's the worst in Wenger's time is a bit different to the worst in our entire history.
And all our star players want to leave? Really? Is that not another exaggeration?

There are reasons for concern right now certainly but some of the comments are massive overstatements. IMO.

Flavs
06-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Worst summer ever on july 6th? Jesus wept

Flavs
06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Oh and i dont know if anyone has posted it but one of our other "targets" Emir Spahic has gone to Sevilla

Niall_Quinn
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh and i dont know if anyone has posted it but one of our other "targets" Emir Spahic has gone to Sevilla

That's a relief, because his name sounds a bit like spastic. If we can't sign anyone decent we should at least sign players with good names and good haircuts, this is why I'm worried about Gervinho.

I_Killed_Kenny
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Newbie Here! Another target missed out on cos we are squabbling over 50p and a packet of crisps!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_7022583,00.html

1st alvarez, probably same will happen with gervinho. its all good, we have hector bellend and john toral-harper dont forget!

Ironing
06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
We're signing Gervinho today

LDG
06-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Newbie Here! Another target missed out on cos we are squabbling over 50p and a packet of crisps!

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_7022583,00.html

1st alvarez, probably same will happen with gervinho. its all good, we have hector bellend and john toral-harper dont forget!

I've never seen Alverez, and I'm not so sure it's worth pumping loads of money into Gervinho.

Whilst I agree Arsene is tighter than a virgins pussy, I don't think advocating the spending of OTT amounts on unproven players is right either.

They're obviously targets of ours, but I expect there is a proce we're willing to pay.

Where we should be making an effort, and perhaps spending a little more, is on players such as Cahill, Hazzard, Mata etc. Proven quality which, although steep, is worth it in the long run.

Welcome btw :tiphat:

LDG
06-07-2011, 10:49 AM
We're signing Gervinho today

Sauce!

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I've never seen Alverez, and I'm not so sure it's worth pumping loads of money into Gervinho.

Whilst I agree Arsene is tighter than a virgins pussy, I don't think advocating the spending of OTT amounts on unproven players is right either.

They're obviously targets of ours, but I expect there is a proce we're willing to pay.

Where we should be making an effort, and perhaps spending a little more, is on players such as Cahill, Hazzard, Mata etc. Proven quality which, although steep, is worth it in the long run.

Welcome btw :tiphat:

Cahill, Hazzard, Mata

I would be happy say that these are a must get (but with no TM) - especially if we are to lose the players mentioned

Ironing
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Sauce!

https://twitter.com/#!/ladyarse/status/88538845091598337

https://twitter.com/#!/ladyarse/status/88552233532260352

followed by

https://twitter.com/#!/skysports_bryan/status/88557819992866816

LDG
06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
:popcorn:

isv
06-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Sauce!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/14041423.stm

11:40am

Boss
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Press conference at 7 to announce the signing.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 11:21 AM
SSN breaking news: Gervinho having his medical today.

Welcome. :wave:

GP
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
He needs a nickname.

And a haircut.

And a new face.

Boss
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Manchester City’s suspended central defender Kolo Toure has declared that his compatriot Gervinho of French Ligue 1 champions Lille will be the next Samuel Eto’o, considering the Ivorian’s dribbling skills and pace.

Kolo, who is currently on vacation in Cote D’Ivoire, expressed his vision about Gervinho to Sport-Ivoire on Tuesday, days after the 24-year-old former Le Mans winger was named Ivorian footballer of the year.

“Gervinho is very skilful, he’s young, swift and technical,” Kolo said. “I call him the next Samuel Eto’o. He merits being Cote D’Ivoire’s player of the year and I hope he will roll out another brilliant season. I pray he joins a club where he could express his talent the more to the world.”

Kolo earlier purchased Gervinho’s Lille jersey for $4,000 during the award ceremony, when it was put up for a bid meant to re-equip a public hospital pillaged during the country’s post election crisis.

Both players are products of the famous Abidjan-based football academy, Mimosifcom, where the likes of Yaya Toure and Salomon Kalou were groomed.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2011/07/05/2562145/gervinho-is-the-next-samuel-etoo-manchester-citys-kolo-toure

Reasonably happy with this one.

Now if only we can keep the other two...

Ralpheroo72
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Press conference at 7 to announce the signing.

Yay! Another press conference!

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
He needs a nickname.

And a haircut.

And a new face.

He does need all those things tbf.

I_Killed_Kenny
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
hmm guess AW upped the packet of crisps to some kettle chips and signed him then!

fink we gna need extra space in the changing room to fit in his giant forehead mind!

GP
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
And here he is arriving for his medical..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2295/2299173509_0e51b9ae6d_o.gif

WengerISaLizard
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM

http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/hahaha.gif

Ralpheroo72
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
:trophy:

post of the day!

LDG
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Boss
06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Gervinho has won the French title with Lille and played in the World Cup finals for Cote d’Ivoire, and yet Arsenal fans are still divided about the prospect of the winger signing for them this summer. A French football scout based in Lille offers us the low-down on Arsenal’s first potential big-money signing of the Stan Kroenke era.

How good is Gervinho?
He is a good player. My view would be that he is good enough for Arsenal, even though he gets a bit of stick in France. Whether he is worth the fee that’s been mentioned, between €12 and €15m, is difficult to answer, but he has only one year left on his contract, so it does sound a lot. I’ve seen most of Lille’s games this season and he’s exceptionally quick, tall, lean and strong, much stronger than he looks. He can shoulder people off the ball as though they’re not there. One thing he does give you that his team-mate Eden Hazard doesn’t is goals. Gervinho is a better finisher, and gets in more scoring positions, he’s far more likely to snap up a chance. Lille have played a 4-3-3 formation all season and of the two wingers, it’s Gervinho who operates as the auxiliary striker, as his stats prove: last season he got 12 goals, this season he got 15, and ten assists. That’s a tremendous return.

So why does get stick in France?
Well, he can be frustrating. His decision-making occasionally lets him down, and he does have that ability to wind fans up with his performances. Against Sochaux in Week 36, for example, he missed an easy chance in the first chance, and everyone groaned. But then in the second half, he scored the winner. He’s that type of player. There was another match, Lille were 1-0 up and he led a counter-attack but made a poor pass which should have created a goal. But then he’s never anonymous: against Brest, in Week 27, Lille were trailing but he equalised and turned the game around. In the French Cup semi-final, he rounded the Nice goalkeeper to score as though he wasn’t there, and in the final, he was Lille’s best outfield player. He even won a penalty after Lille had taken the lead (which was missed).

It sounds like his game will suit the Premier League.
Most definitely. Having played for Le Mans and now Lille, moving to England is the natural progression. He has pace and strength as well as technique. He may not be as dextrous as Hazard, but he is skilful and it looks a good fit, if he can settle. That’s always the big ‘if’.

What’s his best position?
He played on the right side of Lille’s 4-3-3 system for most of the season, and would cut in from that position. Occasionally he switched with Hazard and played on the left, but he never played as a centre-forward. Even when the regular centre-forward [and Ligue 1’s top scorer] Moussa Sow was out, Gervinho stayed wide and Tulio de Melo or Pierre-Alain Frau would step in. So it remains to be seen how he would adapt to playing in a different system, like a 4-4-2, as he’s unlikely to find a team that sticks as rigidly to 4-3-3 as Lille did. If he did have to change formation, it would be an interesting test to see how he would adapt to it.

He’s been linked to Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester City: which team would he suit best?
He doesn’t say much considering he is a French champion but one thing he has always said is that he wants to play Champions League football. So while it shows great ambition that Newcastle are looking at him, I think it’s a long-shot. The same is true, though to a lesser degree, at Liverpool. In April, I thought he might end up at a team like Liverpool or Tottenham but since then, two Champions League teams have been linked with him. Of those two, I think he would find it easier to settle at Arsenal, for the obvious reason that so many French-speaking players are there, and it’s a proven choice for top Ligue 1 players. Manchester City is more of an unknown quantity for Ligue 1 players.

Who does he play like?
That’s a difficult one. Not Theo Walcott, that’s for sure. He’s much more of a finisher than Walcott. In a way, he’s not that dissimilar to Mamadou Niang when he was at Marseille: he would play on the left and cut in to score his goals, but he never liked to play through the middle. Andre-Pierre Gignac was the same, he said he’d rather be on the bench than play centre-forward at Marseille, and so they benched him. In terms of current Premier League players, it’s tough: maybe Dirk Kuyt, in terms of finishing, but he has more pace. Like Kuyt, you can always see with Gervinho why the coach has picked him. He makes things happen.

Why hasn’t he come sooner?
This is the right time for him. He’s now had two years at Lille, and he was never going to leave last summer as the club was clearly going places. The fact he’s not done it in Europe yet is not his fault, Lille were knocked out of the Europa League. But he’s now 24, still has plenty to prove, so it’s a good time for him to go. Think of someone like Robert Pires, he didn’t join Arsenal until he was 27, so he’s a good age.

What do you think he can bring to Arsenal that they don’t already have?
What Arsenal would get is a player who will get into double figures for goals and assists, while not playing as their main striker. That is the type of player who can elevate with you with his figures, he could make the difference between coming fourth and second. He moves instinctively in the box and though he can miss chances, he’s a good finisher.

If Arsenal sign Gervinho this summer, will it help them at all in the race for Eden Hazard?
I think Arsenal would have to improve dramatically to get Hazard. He’s a very confident guy and for me, Arsenal would have to show him that they are better than fourth in the Premier League if they want to sign him. Hazard has said he prefers Spain anyway. It’s been reported that he supports Real Madrid, and is on Barcelona’s reserve list of targets, so those two would have first choice on him. Lille would never consider selling both players this summer anyway, and at the moment, I would say Gervinho is more suited to Arsenal’s level than Hazard.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/arsenal-gervinho-to-have-the-same-impact-as-pires-says-french-scout/?

More about Gervinho.

Master Splinter
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Gervo and Theo! Theo! Theo! flanking Are Vee Pee will be deadly.

We're winning this tbf.

On, this is.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
On, this is.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00796/yoda460_796746c.jpg

Master Splinter
06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Actually, he does quite look like Yoda too.

A mixture of Eto'o and Pires? Best player ever tbh.

Gervo :bow:

Just realised his real name is Gervais :lol:

Hope he doesn't turn out be an unfunny fat fuck.

LDG
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Actually, he does quite look like Yoda too.

A mixture of Eto'o and Pires? Best player ever tbh.

Gervo :bow:

Just realised his real name is Gervais :lol:

Hope he doesn't turn out be an unfunny fat fuck.

Harsh on Letters tbf.

Master Splinter
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Harsh on Letters tbf.

Which bit?

LDG
06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Which bit?

Just realised his real name is Gervais

:good:

I_Killed_Kenny
06-07-2011, 11:52 AM
fingers crossed we can do the deals for cahill/samba quickly and show a lil bit of intention that may help keep nasri.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
fingers crossed we can do the deals for cahill/samba quickly and show a lil bit of intention that may help keep nasri.

The only thing that will keep Nasri here is a fat contract which we won't offer.

I_Killed_Kenny
06-07-2011, 11:56 AM
one can only hope! still, we need more than replacements, we need strengthening, adding to the numbers we already have. but all we will do is sell 4 and sign 3 and get caught short again when the usual injury prone players have their midseason holiday

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I suggest we spend all summer moaning our moany tits off about it all.

So you don't want people posting here until they are able to assess how it has all worked out at the end of the transfer window?

Or maybe you'd prefer people to feign optimism?

Some people are OTT, but if it is how they feel, it is how they feel. Your repetitive comments of 'people moaning their tits off' is sanctimonious and boring now.

Boss
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
So you don't wan people posting here until they are able to assess how it has all worked out at the end of the transfer window?

Some people are OTT, but if it is how they feel, it is how they feel. Your repetitive comments of 'people moaning their tits off' is sanctimonious and boring now.

:gp:

:popcorn:

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
See, that's why he's my idol. :coffee:

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
The only thing that will keep Nasri here is a fat contract which we won't offer.

I don't think we should offer him the fat contract. It isn't earned, and I think the reputed offer of £90k is more than generous. It probably does not seem that way to him though given what he would be offered elsewhere and when he compares his earnings to the dross like Bendtner and Denilson, etc.

I really think the Club needs to reexamine what is offered to players of the caliber of the above so that there is some wiggle room within the transfer budget to offer the likes of Nasri better contracts if the Club wishes to keep them.

selassie
06-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Brilliant!

Edited to add: Sorry can't stop laughing, :haha: :haha:

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Grimandi's Perm View Post

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2295/...51b9ae6d_o.gif

had me going for a start.......:clap:

budesonide
06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
So you don't want people posting here until they are able to assess how it has all worked out at the end of the transfer window?

good post!

Letters with all due respect please do one.

You know what most gooners are crying foul over. Some may seem over-the-top but frankly you couldn't begrudge any gooner if they are so disillusioned.

People feared it may come to this -- those who didn't are now coming around to it -- which inevitably leaves people fearing the worst with the competition so stiff now.

It didn't have to come to this -- it could have been avoided! That is the most fundamental source of all this outrage. If Man U were where we are now, you could bet your bottom dollar their fans would be outraged.

We could potentially lose clichy,cesc and nasri in one summer! Do you honestly believe that is not a possibilty? If it is, aren't you a little bit alarmed what effect this is likely to have on the rest of the team?

You know what, I don't really give a toss anymore -- I am jaded by it all.

My only beef is against those who like to pretend all of this is some kind of unfortunate luck and we have been powerless to make the necessary and decisive adjustments required.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't think we should offer him the fat contract. It isn't earned, and I think the reputed offer of £90k is more than generous. It probably does not seem that way to him though given what he would be offered elsewhere and when he compares his earnings to the dross like Bendtner and Denilson, etc.

I really think the Club needs to reexamine what is offered to players of the caliber of the above so that there is some wiggle room within the transfer budget to offer the likes of Nasri better contracts if the Club wishes to keep them.

Oh I agree, this chump was as guilty as anyone of taking his foot off the gas and it sickens me that he has held the club by the balls. City can double anything we offer with ease, so it's going to take smashing our wage structure to pieces to keep him now. Fully agree with the last sentence too, I know we don't have any concrete figures but the reported wages at the club seem very disproportionate.

Master Splinter
06-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Gervinho done.

Oxo-Chumpface next?

Letters
06-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Are those the only two options? Really? No middle ground at all between "Oh noes, this is the worst summer EVER!" and "Don't worry, everything is rosy."?

Some people are OTT, but if it is how they feel, it is how they feel.

And how I feel is how I feel and if you defend their repetitive OTT moaning then by the same token I can pick them up on it. Especially when the comments are as OTT and nonsensical as some on here have been.

KSE Comedy Club
06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
So, what about Owen Hargreaves then?

He's looking fighting fit in those youtube vids ;)

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Gervinho done.

Oxo-Chumpface next?

Don't think anything will happen for the time being until Nasri and Cesc fuck off. Then we will need to do some serious spending.

selassie
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Gervinho done.

Oxo-Chumpface next?

MS, is this confirmed officially?

Letters
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
You know what most gooners are crying foul over. Some may seem over-the-top but frankly you couldn't begrudge any gooner if they are so disillusioned.

I don't. And I am too. But some of the stuff on here is massively over the top IMO.
"Worst summer ever"? Really? The transfer window has only just opened. What nonsense to call it that already.
"All our star players want to leave"? Really? All of them? Do me a favour.

The rest of your post is reasonable and contains a lot of the concerns which most of us have. I have no problem with that, I have more of a problem with the utter hyperbole which some are coming out with and I'm well within my rights to say so.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh I agree, this chump was as guilty as anyone of taking his foot off the gas and it sickens me that he has held the club by the balls. City can double anything we offer with ease, so it's going to take smashing our wage structure to pieces to keep him now. Fully agree with the last sentence too, I know we don't know many concrete figures but the reported wages at the club seem very disproportionate.

as guilty as anyone of taking his foot off the gas

I agree with this Marc.......I must have been watching the beginning of the rot with tinted glasses because I didn't see the warning signs......kept thinking next week will be different but then it hit me like a sledgehammer that the team had stopped trying and the ones that were carrying us to giddy heights were the worst culprits.......to be honest we can wiggle room or smash the wage structure......but for what? the next greedy moroon to put a gun to our head

I want to see a team of triers, a group of players that want to play for the club because they love doing so......does this mean that we will slip out of the reckoning? I don't think, we will never be a Wolves or a yoyo like Everton, but if it does mean we have to forgo some luxuries then I can live with that if make sure that we do our up most to get back to what we should consider our rightful place as one of the top teams in the land.

It is obvious that Nasri does want to leave, as he says nothing about having a desire to stay or what it means to him to be an Arsenal player........the harsh reality is that it makes more sense to put time and effort into looking for the right replacement than to waste time trying to convince him to stay.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I

We don't have many star players so Nasri and Cesc probably going is a bit of a blow.

Joker
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
The article on the previous page indicates that Gervinho has mainly played out wide in a 4-3-3, and has seldom played in a central attacking position. Therefore we still need another couple of centre forwards to strengthen our attacking options, with Bendtner leaving and Chamakh being a shit footballer. However, it's likely that Wenger is going to try and convert Gervinho into a central striker, rather than go out and spend money on established strikers who can do the job immediately. The problem with this is the risk; there's every chance Gervinho won't be able to adapt to the new position, and even if he does, it could take time, and given our tough start to the season (including a vital UCL qualification round), time is something we don't have. We need to hit the ground running, and we can't afford Wenger to set up his silly little experiments again to try and show how smart he supposedly is. Sure, converting Henry worked, but with other players, it's proved unworkable. Wenger needs to accept he can't turn base metal into gold, and his obsession with re-sculpting players to fit into his "Wengerball" philosophy has hurt the club's chance of success in the last 6 years, and it's about time he ditched the philosophy for good.

Letters
06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
We don't have many star players so Nasri and Cesc probably going is a bit of a blow.

I agree. Irrelevant to what I said though. Is that really all our star players?
I'm picking people up on hyperbole and OTT nonsense, not on genuine concerns which we all share.
I see nothing wrong with that.

Flavs
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Gervinho is in the middle of having a medical right now, presumably they are measuring his forehead to ensure the aero-dynamics arent that bad

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
I agree. Irrelevant to what I said though. Is that really all our star players?
I'm picking people up on hyperbole and OTT nonsense, not on genuine concerns which we all share.
I see nothing wrong with that.

You know what he was referring to.

Bit pedantic tbh.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
apparently his forehead was used in the design of Mark Cavendish's newest sprint bike

Power n Glory
06-07-2011, 12:38 PM
The article on the previous page indicates that Gervinho has mainly played out wide in a 4-3-3, and has seldom played in a central attacking position. Therefore we still need another couple of centre forwards to strengthen our attacking options, with Bendtner leaving and Chamakh being a shit footballer. However, it's likely that Wenger is going to try and convert Gervinho into a central striker, rather than go out and spend money on established strikers who can do the job immediately. The problem with this is the risk; there's every chance Gervinho won't be able to adapt to the new position, and even if he does, it could take time, and given our tough start to the season (including a vital UCL qualification round), time is something we don't have. We need to hit the ground running, and we can't afford Wenger to set up his silly little experiments again to try and show how smart he supposedly is. Sure, converting Henry worked, but with other players, it's proved unworkable. Wenger needs to accept he can't turn base metal into gold, and his obsession with re-sculpting players to fit into his "Wengerball" philosophy has hurt the club's chance of success in the last 6 years, and it's about time he ditched the philosophy for good.

He won't be converted into a striker. Wenger will play him out wide and I get the feeling Arshavin is on his way out. Theo should also be a little worried and if I were him, I'd delay signing a new deal.

Letters
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
You know what he was referring to.

Bit pedantic tbh.

I don't, cos when I picked him up on it he didn't respond. It was just more OTT bollox.
When I picked him up on 'worst summer ever' he modified it to worst summer under Wenger which is still a little premature but a more reasonable assessment.

Flavs
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
He won't be converted into a striker. Wenger will play him out wide and I get the feeling Arshavin is on his way out. Theo should also be a little worried and if I were him, I'd delay signing a new deal.

Gervinho plays 85% of the time as left or right winger by the way, or certainly did in france and internationally

Unai Tea
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
T'would be nice if we could replace Nasri and Fabregas with Wesley Schneider - the 2 for 1 allows some space for Ramsey to move into. In theory, offer Nasri + a wee bag of money besides. Cesc can go to wherever and he can fund the Scheider deal and help us get Mata to play on left wing. Add a CB and LB or 2 CB's and a striker, play Theo more up front and we're looking better than last year.

Joker
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
If the guy is most comfortable playing out wide, I hope Wenger plays him there. His obsession with trying to fit square pegs into round holes has cost us over the last few years, leading to players feeling annoyed at constantly being played out of position and fragmented performances due to the players feeling uncomfortable in an alien position where they've never played before.
I think Walcott, despite his faults, is a very effective player for us, so I wouldn't want him to consider his position. However, if Gervinho does take Arshavin's position, I doubt he could do any worse tbh, especially given how shockingly inept most of Arshavin's performances last season were. However, I would still have preferred Wenger to have a signed a more experienced player instead of Gervinho, because I still don't think Wenger's learnt his lesson in terms of signing top quality players, who have cost a bit in the short run, but will more than make up for that with consistently excellent performances over a long period.

Flavs
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
With the arrival of Stefan Savic i wonder if citeh will try and swap Lescott + Cash for Nasri, they know we want a LB/CB and he is surplus there now

Fist of Lehmann
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Annoying. I was kind of hoping for a return to 4-4-2. Or a modified version at least.

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
With the arrival of Stefan Savic i wonder if citeh will try and swap Lescott + Cash for Nasri, they know we want a LB/CB and he is surplus there now
He is shite, no thanks.

Fats
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Certainly not the worst summer ever no where near it.

In 2001 we signed Francis Jeffers and Richard Wright FFS!!!

Wenger has caused this himself TBF. The last few years he has done nothing to suggest that he will strengthen the squad significantly. Even Nasri was a bit of a gamble, and in my opinion not one that has worked. Nasri is massively inconsistant, which come to think of it so is Cesc. The last 2 seasons Cesc has not plyed that much and the season before he went missing quite a lot in all honesty. Not doubting a good player but certainly not great and will only warm the bench at Barca right now.

Frankly this was always going to happen and players were always going to use this situation to engineer a move for more money.

We are a selling club that players now use as a stepping stone no matter what anyone thinks, its a fact. The days of a final destination club for plaers has gone, and guess whose ault that is.

I said 18 months ago we are turning into Ajax and we now have.

RIP Wengers legacy

Marc Overmars
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Yeah, that cunt from Spurs, he was shit!

:whistle:

Power n Glory
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't, cos when I picked him up on it he didn't respond. It was just more OTT bollox.
When I picked him up on 'worst summer ever' he modified it to worst summer under Wenger which is still a little premature but a more reasonable assessment.

It feels like the worst summer. That's probably what he means. No new signings to get excited about and a lot of key players linked with moves away from the club. Usually, we're confident that they'll flop wherever they go and we'll bring in someone that can do their job. That's not the case this season. Also, there is no real outrage and anger directed towards the players this year. With Hleb, Flamini and Ade, they're were all sorts of stories and quotes flying about and most fans were up in harms and happy to see the back of them. This year it's not like that at all.

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Are those the only two options? Really? No middle ground at all between "Oh noes, this is the worst summer EVER!" and "Don't worry, everything is rosy."?

And how I feel is how I feel and if you defend their repetitive OTT moaning then by the same token I can pick them up on it. Especially when the comments are as OTT and nonsensical as some on here have been.

No, there is only one option - for people to post how they feel.

By and large people are doing that. maybe instead of posting your blanket pronouncements on people moaning their tits off, you'd be better off actually countering the substance of what is being made within individual posts.

Flavs
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
He is shite, no thanks.

Like Triple H i got two words for you...

Sebastian Squillachi

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM

I don't. And I am too. But some of the stuff on here is massively over the top IMO.
"Worst summer ever"? Really? The transfer window has only just opened. What nonsense to call it that already.

It is too early to declare this the 'worst summer ever', but I'll tell you this, this is by far the worst I have ever felt at this stage of the summer and I am struggling to see the light at the end of the tunnel. my posts reflect that, and I suppose that is the same with many others here. So excuse me for getting a little pissed with your blanket pronouncements on tit moaning.

Joker
06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Certainly not the worst summer ever no where near it.

Wenger has caused this himself TBF. The last few years he has done nothing to suggest that he will strengthen the squad significantly. Even Nasri was a bit of a gamble, and in my opinion not one that has worked. Nasri is massively inconsistant, which come to think of it so is Cesc. The last 2 seasons Cesc has not plyed that much and the season before he went missing quite a lot in all honesty. Not doubting a good player but certainly not great and will only warm the bench at Barca right now.

Frankly this was always going to happen and players were always going to use this situation to engineer a move for more money.

We are a selling club that players now use as a stepping stone no matter what anyone thinks, its a fact. The days of a final destination club for plaers has gone, and guess whose ault that is.

I said 18 months ago we are turning into Ajax and we now have.

RIP Wengers legacy

When Wenger says it matters more to him to qualify for the Champions League than to win trophies, you're sending a signal to players about what sort of football club you are. I'm not saying that qualifying for the Champions League is unimportant given the financial reality, but when a manager seems to place so much emphasis on Champions League qualification (rather than talking about winning it) it's clear that perhaps this is not the sort of club you should remain at if you want the glory of silverware. Sure, you'll get a well run, fiscally prudent club run by a conservative accountant like Wenger, but for footballers (and especially fans) football is not just a private enterprise operating within a budget constraint. Qualifying for the Champions League should be seen as a means to an end (the end being ultimately lifting the trophy or using the revenues to take us to the next level) rather than simply being a useful cash cow to pay down debt. Like I said before, the major cause of the alienation between fans and manager/board is that the latter know the price of everything and the value of nothing. That's why Wenger makes sly remarks about "intelligence" and PHW slams fans in articles for the Daily Star. Us serfs should be happy with our lot, and we should leave the esoteric financial decision making to the technocrats running our club, is the subtext underneath the comments by Wenger and PHW. This is what happens when you commodify something (especially like a football club) Everything of value that cannot be quantified, marketised and financialised is consigned to the scrapheap, leaving behind an empty, lifeless shell that no football fan is properly able to identify with.

Boss
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM

The rest of your post is reasonable and contains a lot of the concerns which most of us have. I have no problem with that, I have more of a problem with the utter hyperbole which some are coming out with and I'm well within my rights to say so.

If we're really being this pedantic...

He was talking about last summer, not this.

Even if we sell all of our star players and don't replace them it won't be more depressing than last summer:

Refusing to pay £4m for a new GK and instead have El Poodle remain our no. 1
Signing the glorious three of Squid, Kos and Spak

The last line is perhaps slightly OTT but I'd be interested to see if someone could name a worse one, given how shocking all three players were.

As for all of our star players leaving, given that we only really have 3 of them (Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas) and two of them want to go, it's not too far off the mark.

Fist of Lehmann
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Which is exactly what this Letters (DLGLG ALSKF#GRE) fellow is doing.

Sirjackofwilshere
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM
According to twitter we're in for Mata. Can't see it happening tbh, but if it does I'll be over the moon.

Letters
06-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Which is what I'm doing.

you'd be better off actually countering the substance of what is being made within individual posts

I have, at times. I picked someone up earlier when they said it was the worst summer in the history of the club (they tempered the statement when I did so) and that "all our star players want to leave" (which they didn't respond to when I questioned it).

That's if there is substance to the posts. If it's baseless moaning then I'm within my rights to express frustration at that.

Are you saying that repeated moaning is OK but repeated frustration about that moaning isn't? Why?

The moaners are saying how they feel, I'm saying how I feel which is while I share concerns the hyperbole from some on here is ridiculous.

Joker
06-07-2011, 01:01 PM
According to twitter we're in for Mata. Can't see it happening tbh, but if it does I'll be over the moon.

That would be exactly the type of signing we need, but our penny pinching will probably see us lose out again (if we're geniunely interested that is, given that I think the manager is happy enough with Gervinho's signing)

Flavs
06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Which is exactly what this Letters (DLGLG ALSKF#GRE) fellow is doing.

That would be, Does Letters Girlfriend Love Gash?

LDG
06-07-2011, 01:05 PM
So, if Gervinho has signed. I make that; One out, two in.

So far so good.

Letters

So far so good.

Stop moaning :angry:

Flavs

So far so good.

Jenko :bow:

LDG
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
That would be, Does Letters Girlfriend Love Gash?

Also, Letters' sister kills for hash.

Fist of Lehmann
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
That would be exactly the type of signing we need, but our penny pinching will probably see us lose out again (if we're geniunely interested that is, given that I think the manager is happy enough with Gervinho's signing)

I think it's more dependent on what happens with Fabregas and Nasbo.

If they both go then I think there's leeway both financially and footballistically for a marquee-ish playmaker signing.

Sorry if that's not enough moany-titsworthy for this thread.

selassie
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM

As if we're going to sign a player for over 20million.

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Which is what I'm doing.

I have, at times. I picked someone up earlier when they said it was the worst summer in the history of the club (they tempered the statement when I did so) and that "all our star players want to leave" (which they didn't respond to when I questioned it).

That's if there is substance to the posts. If it's baseless moaning then I'm within my rights to express frustration at that.

Are you saying that repeated moaning is OK but repeated frustration about that moaning isn't? Why?

The moaners are saying how they feel, I'm saying how I feel which is while I share concerns the hyperbole from some on here is ridiculous.

If there was an equivalent blanket posting of people must be on drugs to feel so relaxed post, I'd pick up on that too. In fact I often pick up on posts where people make blanket statements about any particular view on the Board. You may recall some months ago how I posted representative view from other Arsenal Boards to indicate that the views expressed here were varied and reflective of those stated elsewhere.

Letters
06-07-2011, 01:12 PM
FWIW I have no problem with negativity although it can be exasperating at times.
Niall_Quinn, for example. Don't agree with much of what he says but it's well written and thought provoking and can be engaged with.
It's the repeated hyperbole and moaning about stuff which hasn't even happened yet which is grating more.

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM

FWIW I have no problem with negativity although it can be exasperating at times.
Niall_Quinn, for example. Don't agree with much of what he says but it's well written and thought provoking and can be engaged with.
It's the repeated hyperbole and moaning about stuff which hasn't even happened yet which is grating more.

There is an 'ignore' function so that you don't need to moan your tits off about people moaning their tits off.

Letters
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
There is an 'ignore' function so that you don't need to moan your tits off about people moaning their tits off.

That would involve ignoring loads of people. And as someone who is supposed to be moderating the site not really an option. :(
If only there was a log off and do some work option.

Xhaka Can’t
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
That would involve ignoring loads of people. And as someone who is supposed to be moderating the site not really an option. :(

That's the nightmare dream.

Master Splinter
06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I think it's more dependent on what happens with Fabregas and Nasbo.

Nasbo :haha:

Also, Letters :bow:

Second best mod tbh.

Fist of Lehmann
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Just ignore people in the more traditional way.

That's what I do.