PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Thread 2011/12

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]

Dennis Bendtner
21-05-2012, 07:09 PM
It's easy to draw tidy conclusions in hindsight but I think the main difference is not having a midfield that had so much energy and ridiculous workrate levels. Need some more runners - although, in theory, Ramsey, Walcott and Gerv could run all day. Maybe need to better the good/shit ratio as well.

Probably fair comment. Reyes and Ljungberg were very good and we had a genuine counterattack outlet in Aliaksandr Pleb. But that season looks a bit of an anomaly in recent times. I do think there was more to it than workrate. The defence was genuinely organised in spite of the injuries. The team were far less gung-ho than what we're used to. Why that did not persist in later seasons is hard to explain e.g. getting creamed by Man Utd at home. Well obviously the entire team fucked off, but it should have been repeatable.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Probably fair comment. Reyes and Ljungberg were very good and we had a genuine counterattack outlet in Aliaksandr Pleb. But that season looks a bit of an anomaly in recent times. I do think there was more to it than workrate. The defence was genuinely organised in spite of the injuries. The team were far less gung-ho than what we're used to. Why that did not persist in later seasons is hard to explain e.g. getting creamed by Man Utd at home. Well obviously the entire team fucked off, but it should have been repeatable.

TBF the mancs had winning experience not alot of our team did and mentally we were poor not to mention Gibbs who messed up that day.

Just think it was another case of us bottling it on a big occasion. I used to think it was the English teams that were our problem im Europe but now its more then that.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 07:18 PM
That's true, Garcia :cloud9:. I did remember thinking we'd blown it when Carson screwed up. But then we also firmly parked the bus in Turin. The Leverkusen games were pretty standard.

Even we got bored of our Chelsea saga after a while though. Riise you idiot :fury:

Horrific is probably too strong a word.

Benitez did seem to have the CL sussed, phenomenal tactician... welcome back Rafa!!

We really should've beat Juve in Turin the following season, not that we needed to, of course.

I didn't get to see the semi-final games against Chelsea in 2005, probably lucky me but then, I saw all the others. The two 0-0's in 05/06 were awful but I guess a point was good enough for both teams then.

Syn
21-05-2012, 07:22 PM

I think it has been said quite often that Wenger's not the best tactician and the best chance of getting success is filling a team with strong individuals and letting them do whatever they want (in contrast to Man Utd who have a bunch of Carricks). With Lehmann, Gilberto, Pires, Ljungberg, Henry, Bergkamp all around, they all knew the score and it was easier to let them get on to it even if they weren't at their best. Maybe they were less gung ho because they knew the score and had a good football mind. If the manager can't teach them the basics, you can't replace that football knowledge. Was Wenger the one who taught them that in the first place? Probably. But the basics have changed.

In this clamour for athlete ball (which I am still a part of), we can't underestimate what a difference 'clever' players make. Not clever in foreign cheating twat way, but clever in the out-smart your opponents way. When Koscielny made a few howlers last season, many of us were saying he was an intelligent defender who read the game well. Well it just so proved that he has turned into a fantastic defender. How much of it had to do with Wenger? I don't think a lot - we saw those clever interceptions from day 1.

Shaqiri Is Boss
21-05-2012, 07:26 PM
We really should've beat Juve in Turin the following season, not that we needed to, of course.

I didn't get to see the semi-final games against Chelsea in 2005, probably lucky me but then, I saw all the others. The two 0-0's in 05/06 were awful but I guess a point was good enough for both teams then.
As I say the first leg I can't remember anything about it. The second leg was just horrible, tense stuff. Just sickening, Gudjohnsen's chance still makes me a bit faint. Probably one of those games that's a bit boring unless you're involved.

I think the other ones, even the ones we ended up winning (overall) have just been repressed.

Dennis Bendtner
21-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Charlie - was talking more about approach, really. There have been other extenuating circumstances, but I don't think we've ever set our stall in a similar way since the season we reached the final, which isn't particularly clever.

Maybe it was more down to the players that year, and team pragmatism. The years of CL failure before that are a bit different as we were the best team in the country for a lot of them, so the style made sense. But I think someone like Rafa has/had a much better measure of the requirements to progress in the CL.

Marc Overmars
21-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Looks as though Dids is indeed leaving.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4330796/Didier-Drogba-tells-Chelsea-he-is-leaving.html

McNamara That Ghost...
21-05-2012, 07:44 PM
If they get Falcao to replace him I think I will cry.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 07:51 PM
If they get Falcao to replace him I think I will cry.

Their saying Torres and Strurridge and Drogba's son. Don't think they will buy a new striker just yet.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Looks as though Dids is indeed leaving.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4330796/Didier-Drogba-tells-Chelsea-he-is-leaving.html

Good Choice i mean He leaves a Hero and a Legend so right choice.

Dennis Bendtner
21-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Surely a waste if he goes to China this early. Falcao is a strange one given Atletico signed him for £30m+ in the first place, and he's only enhanced his reputation since. Doesn't seem that attainable.

if they sign him, cheeky bid for Torres?

GP
21-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Good Choice i mean He leaves a cunt so right choice.

that's true

KSE Comedy Club
21-05-2012, 10:24 PM
He's a free agent isn't he?

I say put an offer on the table.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I can't see him leaving them to stay in the prem.

KSE Comedy Club
21-05-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm not so sure, he just wants to play rather than be a sub.

Obviously the smart money is on him going abroad but I reckon if a prem team made him a reasonable offer of playing time, he would consider it.

Cripps_orig
21-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Better than all our strikers

Must Get

Marc Overmars
21-05-2012, 10:38 PM
He'll be off to China or the Middle East for 1 last big contract.

Injury Time
21-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Spurs will sign him as he's a traffic lad, I'm sure he'd get a warm reception at his home debut...

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not so sure, he just wants to play rather than be a sub.

Obviously the smart money is on him going abroad but I reckon if a prem team made him a reasonable offer of playing time, he would consider it.

He's too loyal to Chavs to stay in this league imo. like MO said he'd go to China where he'd get a big pay off tbh.

Olivier's xmas twist
21-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Didier Drogba's representatives have denied reports that the Chelsea striker is set to leave the club.

The 34-year-old was quoted in France as saying he had decided to leave the UEFA Champions League winners.

But representatives of the player, who scored a late equaliser as well as the decisive penalty in the shoot-out win over Bayern Munich on Saturday, have said the quotes attributed to him 'are not genuine'.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay also insists there has been no decision on the player's future.

Drogba has been linked with a lucrative move to Chinese side Shanghai Shenhuan, where former Chelsea team-mate Nicolas Anelka is now player-coach.

The striker joined the Blues from Marseille in 2004 and has scored more than 150 goals for the club in eight seasons.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/20876/7770263/Drog-exit-denied

Coney
22-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Shame really - we could rest RvP and play him when we need to play the thug teams and have someone who bulldozes their defence.

Syn
22-05-2012, 11:25 AM
I don't think he can do that any more. Might've pulled out his A game for a couple of crucial matches but next season he won't even manage that. He's 34 years old and belongs at Stoke.

Should've got in Pogrebnyak for a bench role. Although if RVP is leaving, we'll need a proper one not just a useful body that'll put in a shift.

Olivier's xmas twist
22-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Its offical Chavs Confirm Drogba will Leave in the summer. SSN on th yellow.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2012, 02:11 PM
:lol:

No more Dids shitting on us (hopefully).

:dance:

Olivier's xmas twist
22-05-2012, 04:15 PM

No more Dids shitting on us (hopefully).

:dance:

Better than Henry says you know who lol.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2012, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes:

Better than any other Premier League player there has been apparently. Or he'll qualify it by stating he is saying "he has had more influence at Chelsea than Henry did at Arsenal", whatever that means.

Olivier's xmas twist
22-05-2012, 04:27 PM
:rolleyes:

Better than any other Premier League player there has been apparently. Or he'll qualify it by stating he is saying "he has had more influence at Chelsea than Henry did at Arsenal", whatever that means.

Meh needs to have a pop at us somehow everyday :lol:

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2012, 04:29 PM
It will be impressive if he can find Arsenal related material for every day over the summer. Although I suppose RVP is giving enough ammunition.

Olivier's xmas twist
22-05-2012, 04:46 PM
It will be impressive if he can find Arsenal related material for every day over the summer. Although I suppose RVP is giving enough ammunition.

He'll blame us When England flopp cause of Wilshere. Yep the RVP thing will be another 1.

McNamara That Ghost...
22-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Or if Oxo doesn't play. :lol:

Olivier's xmas twist
22-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Or if Oxo doesn't play. :lol:

Of Theo if he don't have a good game.

nevr known guy who contradict's himself everyday.