PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Swansea (away).

McNamara That Ghost...
31-10-2015, 04:57 PM
In truth, we're a bit good.

Albeit it came after a quite woeful first half.

Heisenberg
31-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Özil racking up the assists

Kano
31-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Looking like serious contenders at this stage. Next two months are usually not very good for us and our squad is stretched to the limit at the moment.

Great result, hard fought and would be more than happy to eat my words if this lot can keep it up for the next few months.

Beaten a top four side, a couple of top 8 contenders, looking good.

Marc Overmars
31-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Fantastic result.

Good to see Campbell off the mark as well.

Arsenal. :bow:

fakeyank
31-10-2015, 05:03 PM
Campbell was awesome :bow:

Another injury crisis leading to us finding a gem :lol:

Niall_Quinn
31-10-2015, 05:04 PM
For a change it's not us falling off the pace.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Really wasn't looking forward to this after being doubled by them last season, in regards to our second goal would not have been happy if we had conceded a goal like that, yes players should play to the whistle but flappy was fouled.

But we deserve rub of the green as it could be biased but could be Wenger brainwashing but think we usually have apalling luck

Giroud going through his goal scoring spell which belies the fact that he's a very average player. The top strikers don't go on goal scoring runs and then dry up for months (unless your name is Wayne Rooney and the whole English media is trying to cover for you)

A Gunner
31-10-2015, 05:05 PM
I think Arsene might win manager of the month

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2015, 05:06 PM

Took his goal well but was a lazy little turd most of the game

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-10-2015, 05:07 PM

I hope Ranieri wins it

adzzzbatch
31-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Özil racking up the assists

2nd only to Messi.

Niall_Quinn
31-10-2015, 05:08 PM

:unsure:

Thought he put a proper shift in.

Letters
31-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Very, very good result. Not an easy place to go, another one of those games you need to win to keep you in the hunt and we did. #WengerIn

Maestro
31-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Very, very good result. Not an easy place to go, another one of those games you need to win to keep you in the hunt and we did. #Wenger On Trial

Agreed, very happy with the result especially as we were certainly off form today. Great result and it's these matches we usually struggle in so very handy to get a result, to keep momentum going. Another clean sheet to boot, all breeds confidence.

Master Splinter
31-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Sloppy first half.

Slick and professional second half.

Ozil brilliant. Campbell was a bit over-eager at times, but showed the right attitude all game and was rewarded. Koscielny sublime. Cech superb again.

A few players like Bellerin, Monreal and Alexis had slight off days but everyone solidified and earned the win in the second half.

Fabianski :bow:.

Chambers the right-winger :bow:.

Internal solutions :bow:.

fakeyank
31-10-2015, 05:32 PM

What game were you watching? :unsure:

He was tracking back and working the hardest. In fact, I thought he did Sanchez's job today. Campbell was my MOTM.

Letters
31-10-2015, 05:42 PM

I'd give it to Mourinho, I've enjoyed his contribution this month :d

Power n Glory
31-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Setanta gave Campbell MOTM and said he worked his socks off.

mastermind84
31-10-2015, 10:10 PM

This is nonsense. Last thing he was today is lazy.

Ozil is the best player in the premiership.

JSAO
31-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Yet to watch game MOTD will be first glimpse......Charlie Nicolas was praying Campbell would prove him wrong but thought based on Sheffield Wed performance that Campbell should have bee gone this Summet and that Wenger let's wrong people go.....even on loan if we are looking to blood people in.

May be that Campbell proved Charlie wrong......I reckon that Chuba, Gnarby and Zelalem are in Wumgers plans hence the max exposure to more first team football

Özim
01-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Good win today, had the rub of the green as Mertersacker definitely handlballed in the area for the free kick and in the first half things could have certainly gone differently, but it swings in roundabouts and over a season these things even themselves out (even though people complain about these all the time).

Campbell was brilliant, worked his socks off, showed some really good skills, took shots at goal when he got chances (good to see someone who does) and scored a good goal, think this guy has a lot of potential, Wenger was ready to get rid despite not giving him a chance but just like Coquelin he might end up stumbling upon a real talent (this guy was great for Olympiakos and Costa Rica).

AFC Leveller
01-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Good win today, had the rub of the green as Mertersacker definitely handlballed in the area for the free kick and in the first half things could have certainly gone differently, but it swings in roundabouts and over a season these things even themselves out (even though people complain about these all the time).

Campbell was brilliant, worked his socks off, showed some really good skills, took shots at goal when he got chances (good to see someone who does) and scored a good goal, think this guy has a lot of potential, Wenger was ready to get rid despite not giving him a chance but just like Coquelin he might end up stumbling upon a real talent (this guy was great for Olympiakos and Costa Rica).

Agree re Joel. He looks like he can create and make things happen and his workrate was very good.

Marc Overmars
01-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Big week coming up, CL fate in the balance and then Spuds. :popcorn:

The Emirates Gallactico
01-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Fantastic result against a tricky away opponent - it's results like these that win you the league.

We definitely were lucky to go in at half time without conceding. Even though it was a magnificent recovery from Bellerin, in reality Gomis should have scored. Those sort of 1 on 1 chances should be bread and butter for any half decent PL striker ....... I'd be livid if Giroud or Theo missed from there. However, this is where having a goalkeeper of the presence and immense reputation of a Cech comes in as I honestly think that factor put a little more doubt in Gomis' mind causing him to dilly dally which allowed Hector to recover.

Mertesacker definitely handled it and another eagle-eyed ref may have seen it but tbf, I don't even think any the Swansea players appealed at the time.

Ozil ....... what can you say. The best number 10 in England at the moment and our player of the season so far. 42 million ...... worth every penny.

Campbell took his chance well, tracked back and generally did ok. I'm still not convinced he has a future here, especially with the likes of Welbeck and Ox ahead of him, but I hope he proves me wrong like Coquelin has done. Chances to start among the first team for a club Arsenal are incredibly rare so it's up to him to seize the chance.

We are down to the bare bones at the moment as our sub bench yesterday attested to so I've got half a mind to throw the Bayern game and to focus our efforts against the scum next week. Regardless of whatever the result on Wednesday is, in all likelihood, it's going to come down to beating Olympiakos by two goals in the final games, so I'd rather not have our team expend too much energy chasing what may be a pointless result.

Just need to start getting some players back from injury quickly to really make a go of this league but knowing our luck at the moment we'll probably end up losing Giroud, Alexis and Ozil on Wednesday. :doh:

Oh yeah a final thanks to Flappyhanksi. :bow::bow:

What a guy.

Power n Glory
01-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Campbell should be ahead of Ox and Welbeck if he can play like that each week. Created chances, had shots and scored. I don't know why that performance doesn't convince you especially if we're putting Ox and Welbeck into the equation as his competition.

Niall_Quinn
01-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Bellerin has little bit no handbrake
http://gfycat.com/HonestMisguidedFirefly

Letters
01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
Bellerin has little bit no handbrake
http://gfycat.com/HonestMisguidedFirefly

Aye. Brilliant. The desire to make up the ground is awlsome.

Permission to suck Wenger's cock.

mastermind84
01-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Campbell should be ahead of Ox and Welbeck if he can play like that each week. Created chances, had shots and scored. I don't know why that performance doesn't convince you especially if we're putting Ox and Welbeck into the equation as his competition.

Pretty much

He worked his ass off too in defending.

Alpha
01-11-2015, 06:27 PM

100% agree with you . Campbell had a good game and showed some quality . It is too early but he is a young talent . There is still room for improvement but I think when he will have his confidence high he will be an incredible player .
He can dribble , he can pass , he can shoot and can also track back . If Wenger is willing to give him a chance as he did to many less talented players , Campbell can write his story at Arsenal .

fakeyank
01-11-2015, 07:13 PM

:gp:

Campbell was really good. I rate Ox a lot, so I would put Campbell ahead just based on 1 game and definitely miles ahead of Blade. I see Blade in the striker role rather than the wings anyway.

Power n Glory
02-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Welbeck on the wing doesn't work for me. He'll work hard to defend but he's like a blunt knife on attack. Ox is a lot better on attack and dangerous when he gets going but not that good on defence and it has costs us.

With Campbell, we have a player that's sharp on attack and willing to work for the team. Best of both worlds. He still has a lot to work on but I wouldn't reserve that right wing for Ox or Welbeck when they still have a lot to prove themselves. Some about these South/Central Americans. They work their socks off.

selassie
02-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Great result and one that sends out a statement that we are ready to challenge for the title. Love the celebrations from Giroud & Kos, pure passion!

As others have said we got the rub of the green in the first half, but second half we opened them up and played at quite a high level.

Happy for Joel Campbell, I hadn't written him off but I had severe doubts about him, seems he played well in the second half and he took his goal really well.

Really pleased with our current form, we have been doing very well.

The Emirates Gallactico
02-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Well I don't base my doubts on Campbell on this one game, where he was decent but more on his record so far, where he's been third choice in that position and only thrown on with the kids or when we're chasing a game and we've got no one else to turn to. I just don't think Wenger rates him.

Mind you, Wenger didn't rate Coquelin at the start of last year though he usually is a better judge of attacking players.

Honestly, I think the only reason he didn't get sold in the summer was because the club knew that Welbeck's injury was a lot worse than initially reported.

I am invisible
02-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Didn't really see much of the game, but it sounds like Campbell is playing it smart, and concentrating on working hard for the team, rather than showing off (too much) and trying to make an instant name for himself? That's the right move for me - individual brilliance is all well and good, but first and foremost Wenger is going to be looking for someone who 'fits', and the easiest way to immediately show that is on the defensive side of things. Ultimately, he'll need to show that he's on the same wavelength on the offensive side too, but getting that instinctive understanding with the other attackers can take a little longer, and he could easily end up looking the odd man out if that's what he focusses on...

Power n Glory
02-11-2015, 12:45 PM
I just think Wenger expects fringe players to be patient, wait for an opportunity and play well when called upon. Campbell signed a new deal so he could have let him go last year. I think a lot depends on the players willingness to wait for their opportunity and not ask to leave when frustrated. Coquelin is one example but you also have Bellerin. Opportunity came about through injury. I don't think it's a case of him not rating them.

Özim
02-11-2015, 01:12 PM
From what i've seen from his spells in Greece and playing for Costa Rica, Campbell is very direct and has got good skills and a decent shot, he offers something different and in my eyese would definitely be above Wellbeck who I don't think is much kop.

Hope Campbell gets a shot as I think he could become a valuable asset for us if he gets one. If we're not going to sign anyone, we need players like him to come through and give us an edge.

selassie
02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
From what i've seen from his spells in Greece and playing for Costa Rica, Campbell is very direct and has got good skills and a decent shot, he offers something different and in my eyese would definitely be above Wellbeck who I don't think is much kop.

Hope Campbell gets a shot as I think he could become a valuable asset for us if he gets one. If we're not going to sign anyone, we need players like him to come through and give us an edge.

:gp:

I also think Campbell showed more in this game than OX has done all season. This isn't an attack on OX because I like him as a player but he should be putting in performances like Campbell did on Saturday if he wants a real crack at securing a spot in the First team.

Niall_Quinn
02-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Campbell has put in several dire performances too. He played well on Saturday but he needs to keep doing that so he makes a proper claim for a starting spot when the injuries ease up. This isn't like the Coquelin situation because Campbell is going to have a whole bunch of competition and unless he grabs the spot in the next couple of games he's unlikely to get a run in the team thereafter.

Letters
02-11-2015, 02:14 PM
It's worth noting that Wenger sees him in training every single day. He did play well but let's not go overboard about him.

Ollie the Optimist
02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
It's worth noting that Wenger sees him in training every single day. He did play well but let's not go overboard about him.

he played well but this season in the two COC games he was diabolical. Now i except it is much easier to play in a team with ozil, sanchez and cazorla then a team with 4 under 18s making a debut, but still he didn't show anything against championship opposition and spurs. Same last year in the cup games.

Theres been a reason why he hasn't played much and thats because so far he has only had one good performance for us and that was saturday, if he takes his chance then great, wed all be delighted but I'm not convinced by him.

fakeyank
03-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Coquelin is also someone the manager and his staff has seen enough of but didnt think he was good enough till injuries forced him to. Personally when I played competitive football or when I play tournaments here, my motivation level is not the same when I have good players on my team v/s when I had players who wouldnt know how to pass the ball straight or take their chances.

I know that is not how you 'should' approach your game and should always give 100% but trust me, its hard to keep your motivation up when the level of players around you are shit. Gnabry was another player who went to shit after he played with the senior team for a bit and went back to under-21's. Campbell seems like another one to me... Again, I know its one game but what impressed me the most was how hard he worked for the team and took shots from outside the box.

Özim
03-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Coquelin is also someone the manager and his staff has seen enough of but didnt think he was good enough till injuries forced him to. Personally when I played competitive football or when I play tournaments here, my motivation level is not the same when I have good players on my team v/s when I had players who wouldnt know how to pass the ball straight or take their chances.

I know that is not how you 'should' approach your game and should always give 100% but trust me, its hard to keep your motivation up when the level of players around you are shit. Coquelin was another player who went to shit after he played with the senior team for a bit and went back to under-21's. Campbell seems like another one to me... Again, I know its one game but what impressed me the most was how hard he worked for the team and took shots from outside the box.

Precisely, let's not forget Wenger saw plenty of the likes of Denilson, Bendtner, Sanogo, Hoyte etc and still gave them plenty of game time, so he's been wrong plenty of times.

Campbell showed before he even played for us his talent for other clubs and his country so his ability is beyond doubt, if het gets a good chance I think he'll do well, he's got all the attributes to be a success.

selassie
04-11-2015, 12:16 PM

I don't think anybody could argue that Ramsey when fit should be first choice on the right. It's not his best position but he's an experienced player for us and brings a lot to the team. I think outside of him, the competition for places is hotting up in regards to who should be backup on the right. Whilst OX is most likely ahead of Campbell...I think Campbell deserves just as much chance to stake a claim given OX's poor form this season.

Power n Glory
04-11-2015, 01:58 PM
I’m sure Wenger sees his players in training everyday but I wouldn’t assume he’s looking at that and thinking certain players aren’t ready. I just think Wenger has a pecking order and has promised certain players a chance . People assume Campbell isn’t being played because he’s not up to the level. The same assumptions were made about Coquelin. But what about Bellerin? A clear talent and he must have shown that in training but we had Debuchy. It might just be a question of timing for certain player and a first team spot becoming available. Wenger didn’t have the heart to bench Ramsey so shifts him to the right, this has a knock on effect on the rest of the players like Ox and Campbell which pushes them further down the pecking order and adds more pressure on them to perform in odd games.

mastermind84
04-11-2015, 02:41 PM
I’m sure Wenger sees his players in training everyday but I wouldn’t assume he’s looking at that and thinking certain players aren’t ready. I just think Wenger has a pecking order and has promised certain players a chance . People assume Campbell isn’t being played because he’s not up to the level. The same assumptions were made about Coquelin. But what about Bellerin? A clear talent and he must have shown that in training but we had Debuchy. It might just be a question of timing for certain player and a first team spot becoming available. Wenger didn’t have the heart to bench Ramsey so shifts him to the right, this has a knock on effect on the rest of the players like Ox and Campbell which pushes them further down the pecking order and adds more pressure on them to perform in odd games.
I agree with most but I disagree with the thinking that Wenger didn't have heart to bench Ramsey. He moved Ramsey out right because Chamberlain underperformed.

Letters
04-11-2015, 03:09 PM
That pecking order must surely based in some part on what he sees in training though.

Power n Glory
04-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I agree with most but I disagree with the thinking that Wenger didn't have heart to bench Ramsey. He moved Ramsey out right because Chamberlain underperformed.

Not entirely true. Rasmey had lost his position at central midfield to Cazorla. Ox had a decent preseason but was dropped after the opening game. I don't think Wenger's that ruthless. He just has hard decisions to make about starters. We've seen him do it before by playing Wilshere wide or Ozil. And saying that, if Ox underperformed, why wasn't Campbell given a shot?

mastermind84
04-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Not entirely true. Rasmey had lost his position at central midfield to Cazorla. Ox had a decent preseason but was dropped after the opening game. I don't think Wenger's that ruthless. He just has hard decisions to make about starters. We've seen him do it before by playing Wilshere wide or Ozil. And saying that, if Ox underperformed, why wasn't Campbell given a shot?
Meh, you could make the same argument for why Santi wasn't dropped after the first game and Wenger is playing favorites with him.

I do agree about we maybe should have seen Campbell sooner.

Also, Arsene is that ruthless. I firmly believe he intended on starting Podolski at CF his first season and then ended that 70 minutes of that first match.

Power n Glory
04-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Meh, you could make the same argument for why Santi wasn't dropped after the first game and Wenger is playing favorites with him.

I do agree about we maybe should have seen Campbell sooner.

Also, Arsene is that ruthless. I firmly believe he intended on starting Podolski at CF his first season and then ended that 70 minutes of that first match.

It’s possible. Adds to the argument about him not being ruthless. The difference with Santi is that he hasn’t got the legs to play out wide, he never played well for us there and always had his best games for us through the middle. Wenger has shown ruthless moments with certain players but overall that’s not his nature and he’ll try to accommodate if possible.