PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction. WBA2-1 Arsenal 21/11/15

Globalgunner
21-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Arteta MOTM

Marc Overmars
21-11-2015, 04:59 PM
A careless defeat to herald in the winter of discontent.

Arsenal. :doh:

fakeyank
21-11-2015, 05:00 PM
We will not win the league this season, or the next. Not because we lost... its because of the manner of the loss. Not one player bar Sanchez showed any sense of urgency. All of them happy dilly dallying for 85 fucking minutes. What a fucking shame. We can buy Messi and he would look like shit in this team today.

Hate how invested I am to this fucking team. Cannot wait till the farce of a manager leaves.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Arteta grabs the winner in a not at all tightly contested match that we should have win easily. Super, super fuck up in the finest tradition of fuck ups.

A Gunner
21-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Arteta grabs the winner in a not at all tightly contested match that we should have win easily. Super, super fuck up in the finest tradition of fuck ups.

It is the traditional fuck up month of November.

topgun
21-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Same s--t, different season.Squad not good enough,but we know why that is don't we.

dostoy
21-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Coquelin goes off in the 14th minute and Arteta comes on.

That says it all really.

Arteta and Flamini should not be at the club, only one person cannot see that.

Xhaka Can’t
21-11-2015, 05:04 PM
I really need to start gambling again.

Chippy
21-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Arteta MOTM

Am I allowed to say Wenger out?
What a fucking depressing team to support.

Master Splinter
21-11-2015, 05:08 PM
That was just a crazy, disastrous game in which we self-harmed and then self-harmed further by finding every way to miss.

It's not same old. It's not typical. That's just lazy cliche. How many 'same old' Arsenals are there? We seem to have a new one each week.

This was a game in which two sloppy goals were handed to West Brom and we then conspired to miss so many chances. It was ridiculous that we didn't score. Some players like Ozil, Alexis and Monreal had really good games and no-one was terrible apart from Campbell when he came on. The whole thing was just fucking odd. But Arteta and Cazorla at each end fucking up on a huge scale are crimes that can be punished in this League against any outfit. On another day, this would have been a 2-5 like the Leicester game.

Added bonus of Coquelin being out for a decade too.

Arteta :doh:.

Cazorla :doh:.

Campbell :doh:.

Arsenal :doh:.

Globalgunner
21-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Coquelin goes off in the 14th minute and Arteta comes on.

That says it all really.

Arteta and Flamini should not be at the club, only one person cannot see that.

Arguably Flamini is good enough for a cameo role every now and then, but Arteta fits no purpose whatsoever.. He is holding down a place meant for a player as good as Coquelin or better, and Campbell is an example of just taking the piss. Wont let him go because he has 6 years invested in him and too enbarrased to admit its been worth zilch.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Even Chelsea managed to beat West Brom. :doh:

topgun
21-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Am I allowed to say Wenger out?

Don't see why not,he's the reason this club will not win the really big prize's

Kano
21-11-2015, 05:22 PM
A result completely down to our players screwing up when there was no need to. One nil up, not a single shot on our goal and 15 minutes later we are losing 2-1.

What Wenger does have responsibility for is the terrible back-ups we have for Coquelin, two bit part players who are probably very effective off the field but give us very little on it. Relying on Le Coq to play through the season unharmed is simply ridiculous.

topgun
21-11-2015, 05:27 PM
A result completely down to our players screwing up when there was no need to. One nil up, not a single shot on our goal and 15 minutes later we are losing 2-1.

What Wenger does have responsibility for is the terrible back-ups we have for Coquelin, two bit part players who are probably very effective off the field but give us very little on it. Relying on Le Coq to play through the season unharmed is simply ridiculous.

Sorry,but its way past the point of blaming the players,we get different personnel but the same problems persist,its not rocket science.

Munchies
21-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Haven't watched any of the game apart from being in the match thread at work during the game, but it's fair to say, this'll be another usual season.

Wenger Out.

hobson's choice
21-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Lets start that summer transfer thread, we've pretty much locked down 3rd/4th place.

On to next season

Kano
21-11-2015, 05:32 PM
Sorry,but its way past the point of blaming the players,we get different personnel but the same problems persist,its not rocket science.
I've said all I'm going to say about Wenger, for now. I'm done with repeating the same shit. I'lll leave that to everyone else. This game came down players and of course our horrific injury plague.

selassie
21-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Lets start that summer transfer thread, we've pretty much locked down 3rd/4th place.

On to next season

I'm not even confident of that this season, I wouldn't put it past us to finish below Chelsea! I'm done investing time in this team, I'm tired of the same old shit every season, the injury situation is a disgrace, heads should roll for that alone because it's the same every season, it's actually boring.

selassie
21-11-2015, 05:34 PM

On to next season

I'm not even confident of that this season, I wouldn't put it past us to finish below Chelsea! I'm done investing time in this team, I'm tired of the same old shit every season, the injury situation is a disgrace, heads should roll for that alone because it's the same every season, it's actually boring.

Munchies
21-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Seeing how shit the league is always pisses me off

it's there for the fucking taking

A few solid signings and we'd have walked it (then again, wenger)

Master Splinter
21-11-2015, 05:38 PM
West Brom scored two goals from one shot on target.

Pulis is a genius.

Arsenal are silly.

And that match defied most laws of the universe.

selassie
21-11-2015, 05:41 PM

He does it every single season, he's like a compulsive gambler! The other season he did it with Central Defence, he's done it upfront, time & time again he gambles the season away by refusing to address areas of the squad. It was only a matter of time & it's now catching up on us. By the time we have a fully fit squad we'll be 3rd or 4th in March or April time. It's so fucking boring tbh.

Master Splinter
21-11-2015, 05:42 PM
A few solid signings and we'd have walked it (then again, wenger)

And when they get injured, do we buy two more solid signings? Or do you give Wenger leeway because he bought two players?

We need at least a squad of 50 internationals to make this situation tenable. The injury curse plight is farcical.

Globalgunner
21-11-2015, 05:42 PM
West Brom scored two goals from one shot on target.

Pulis is a genius.

Arsenal are silly.

And that match defied most laws of the universe.

Wenger is the one tyrying to defy the laws of the universe. Wants to make gold out of Copper Pyrites.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2015, 05:48 PM
No sympathy for WUMger in regards to the injury situation. He knew full well certain players were likely to be spending weeks and months on the sidelines. I'm not going to advocate buying just for the sake of it because injuries do happen, for every team, but he gambled against the odds again and it looks like he's lost out, again.

fakeyank
21-11-2015, 05:48 PM
What excuses will we hear from our resident optimists? Highest points in 2015, Ozil and Sanchez purchase, 2 FA Cups, beating Bayern, beating City and Utd.. anything else? :rolleyes:

Globalgunner
21-11-2015, 06:10 PM
No sympathy for WUMger in regards to the injury situation. He knew full well certain players were likely to be spending weeks and months on the sidelines. I'm not going to advocate buying just for the sake of it because injuries do happen, for every team, but he gambled against the odds again and it looks like he's lost out, again.

Buying for buyings sake? FFS! We are the only professional team possibly in the known universe who didnt but a senior outfield player this season.
This is simply another case of Wenger trying to be too smart than his reflection in the mirror. End of the season he was hoping he would turn to the press and say. I told you so?

topgun
21-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Its beyond time he F----d off,I really believe at this point he is actually holding the club back,year after year the same problems persist and nothing is done about it.But then again today's result won't affect the share price and that seems to be top priorty at this club.

rodders
21-11-2015, 06:23 PM
To say Wenger is yesterdays man would be wrong in fact the day before yesterday would be more appropriate.

IBK
21-11-2015, 06:30 PM
The really depressing thing is that no-one can say that they are surprised by this result; performance or the manner of the defeat. Since Wednesday beat us in a shambolic performance and Bayren handed our arses to us on a plate we have looked thoroughly unconvincing. Remember - we sucked against Spurs too. Same old shit. Undoubtedly same old season. Same old reasons. Same old excuses. I agree its boring investing in this team. League winners? Don't make me laugh.

Kano
21-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Becoming damn near impossible to pick a league winner, despite our flaws we'll probably still stay in with a shot given what's going on up the road at the moment.

topgun
21-11-2015, 06:39 PM
The really depressing thing is that no-one can say that they are surprised by this result; performance or the manner of the defeat. Since Wednesday beat us in a shambolic performance and Bayren handed our arses to us on a plate we have looked thoroughly unconvincing. Remember - we sucked against Spurs too. Same old shit. Undoubtedly same old season. Same old reasons. Same old excuses. I agree its boring investing in this team. League winners? Don't make me laugh.

Have to agree,rapidly losing interest here too.:fury:

McNamara That Ghost...
21-11-2015, 07:14 PM
A bit shit really.

AFC Leveller
21-11-2015, 07:39 PM
its a very similar defeat but all in all im not surprised at the result. City losing makes this a bit less depressing.

anybody can win it this seqson, anyone out of the top 8.

Bumble
21-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Despite the result, city lost. But the league is very open at the moment as no team is capable of dominating. So you just never know. We can still win the league. City don't have the mentalilty to grind out results so are liable to drop points. United don't score enough. The chavs still along way back. Liverpool still finding feet with new manager. Spuds will spud it soon enough. Leicester will run out of steam at some point. We will lose games, but it's not a league where you need to win 5 games on the spin to stay in touch.

AFC Leveller
21-11-2015, 07:44 PM
we did mliss loads of chances and hit the post so you cant say we were terrible, west brom rode their luck and we didnt finish them off.

LDG
21-11-2015, 07:52 PM
This doesn't follow the usual pattern at all! :o

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2015, 07:53 PM
We'll finish below the chavs this season.

1. gypos
2. manure
3. chavs
4. 4th place champions

AFC Leveller
21-11-2015, 08:01 PM
We'll finish below the chavs this season.

1. gypos
2. manure
3. chavs
4. 4th place champions

Is tht because of today or have you been saying that all season? IMO we will finsih above chelsea and i think 2nd is more realistic for us.

Letters
21-11-2015, 08:24 PM
What excuses will we hear from our resident optimists? Highest points in 2015, Ozil and Sanchez purchase, 2 FA Cups, beating Bayern, beating City and Utd.. anything else? :rolleyes:

We're 2 points off the top you silly sod :lol:
And, let's face it, Leiceter ain't finishing above us.
It's hardly worth a suicide pact.

Bad result today though, we can't afford too many of those. It's the first big slip up in the league for a while though, it's a bit early to be throwing in the towel just yet.

Chippy
21-11-2015, 08:45 PM
To say Wenger is yesterdays man would be wrong in fact the day before yesterday would be more appropriate.

Klopp did ok today! Maybe we should have got him before he went to the bin dippers!

Chippy
21-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Bad result today though, we can't afford too many of those. It's the first big slip up in the league for a while though, it's a bit early to be throwing in the towel just yet.
That's the point, we should be top! We bottled it again.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Is tht because of today or have you been saying that all season? IMO we will finsih above chelsea and i think 2nd is more realistic for us.

Not just because of today. The signals have been there since August. This team still doesn't have a winning mentality and that's because the manager doesn't have one. His decisions will cost us again. Refusing to do what was required in the transfer window, chucking games because he doesn't have the confidence to compete across the board. He's bred a second rate environment and made failure excusable.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2015, 08:56 PM

Wenger doesn't get the momentum and continuity thing either. "In the league", "In the calendar year". But the reality is we're on a run of extremely poor form. Look at our recent set of results, without leaving matches out. Nothing special at all and in fact shameful in places.

IBK
21-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Not just because of today. The signals have been there since August. This team still doesn't have a winning mentality and that's because the manager doesn't have one. His decisions will cost us again. Refusing to do what was required in the transfer window, chucking games because he doesn't have the confidence to compete across the board. He's bred a second rate environment and made failure excusable.

I think this is what I feel disillusioned about. I was feeling that Wenger had made progress in his approach, and that this could see us find consistent match winning form after our disappointing start. But it seems as though it's one step forward, two steps back yet again. The CL has been a complete balls up so far - despite the familiar one off performance against a top team. The league cup was depressing in that it exposed a worrying lack of depth in the squad. So we looked to the league - and saw real green shoots. But again hope has been tempered by injury; lack of proper options in key positions and the old Arsenal tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot. We can look at other club's deficiencies all we like, but given the past month's performances and what we have seen season after season it would be irrational to suppose that we are more likely to see out the league than to endure our familiar and disappointing journey to 3rd or 4th. For whatever reason, we have no proper solidity or consistency in our performances, and it's missing the point, IMO to look at other teams' results and ignore Arsenal's very typical shortcomings.

Kano
21-11-2015, 09:12 PM
And this is exactly why if we go into the Europa, we have to go for it.

This 'league challenge only' nonsense is far too narrow.

IBK
21-11-2015, 09:14 PM

You could have made this, or a similar statement to that highlighted at some stage in most of the past half dozen seasons. In each and every one of these seasons, however, the issues that have come to the fore in the past month have seen us finish well behind the eventual league winners. As I say, what depresses me is that there is no real sign of this team's familiar frailties being addressed this season.

Marc Overmars
21-11-2015, 09:19 PM
Coq to have a scan tomorrow, some talk that he could miss a month or 2 but we'll see.

What a stupid but sadly avoidable situation we've allowed ourselves to fall into again. Our next few fixtures are very winnable at least, but then again, so was today's.

Niall_Quinn
21-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Coq to have a scan tomorrow, some talk that he could miss a month or 2 but we'll see.

What a stupid but sadly avoidable situation we've allowed ourselves to fall into again. Our next few fixtures are very winnable at least, but then again, so was today's.

There were no quality players anywhere in the world that could have been brought in, at least none that were better than Arteta or Flamini. Just a sad fact. No decent strikers either. All we were asking Coquelin to do is play every game in every competition and not get injured or suspended all season, and he couldn't even do that. He's let the manager down.

Munchies
21-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Saw extended highlights. Same old shit

Nothing will change until he's gone.

Had enough of this shit

selassie
21-11-2015, 10:54 PM

We're not gonna win the league, save yourself the frustration. Honestly we need a near fully fit squad to win this league and we are literally down to the bare bones right now, it's not a new situation, it happens every single season and quite frankly it's ridiculous. I'm probably boring people by repeating this by there should be a full and proper thorough investigation into why we keep getting these amount of recurring muscular injuries because quite frankly it's unacceptable. I suspect it's to do with our training methods, no amount of medical experts brought in will fix this sorry situation if we're crippling our players through flawed training methods. I dunno, I'm just tired of a number of things at Arsenal, feel we've been here before!

Also, the amount of long term injuries we pick up in training is just plain weird or is it that players are playing through injury? Wilshere, Rosicky & Welbeck have been out for an age & they all picked up injuries in training! Even Arteta was out for ages through an injury picked up in training, what an earth are they doing?!

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:07 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:11 AM

What do you call an alligator in a vest?

An investigator.

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:15 AM

I'm bottling Jack Daniels.

That makes no sense but Jack don't care.

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:23 AM
We're not gonna win the league, save yourself the frustration. Honestly we need a near fully fit squad to win this league and we are literally down to the bare bones right now, it's not a new situation, it happens every single season and quite frankly it's ridiculous. I'm probably boring people by repeating this by there should be a full and proper thorough investigation into why we keep getting these amount of recurring muscular injuries because quite frankly it's unacceptable. I suspect it's to do with our training methods, no amount of medical experts brought in will fix this sorry situation if we're crippling our players through flawed training methods. I dunno, I'm just tired of a number of things at Arsenal, feel we've been here before!

Also, the amount of long term injuries we pick up in training is just plain weird or is it that players are playing through injury? Wilshere, Rosicky & Welbeck have been out for an age & they all picked up injuries in training! Even Arteta was out for ages through an injury picked up in training, what an earth are they doing?!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/arsenal-reluctantly-drops-jousting-from-training-schedule-20151112103810

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:24 AM

We may as well be 2% off the top.

Japan Shaking All Over
22-11-2015, 12:26 AM
OK that's one easy game out the way.....let's see if we can fuck up the next three before thrashing Citeh

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:28 AM
:lol:

fakeyank
22-11-2015, 06:50 AM

We have thrown away opportunities to push home our advantage yet again. How many times have we seen this? If you cannot see a train wreck from a mile away, then you must be blind.

Power n Glory
22-11-2015, 07:29 AM
You think Arteta, Coquelin and Ramsey use the same hair care products? Maybe that explains the injuries? Wenger can't blame internationals for this one but he'll find something.

Power n Glory
22-11-2015, 07:33 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10745838/Arsene-Wenger-voices-concern-over-Arsenal-players-taking-medication-for-non-footballing-reasons.html

We'll see if he drags this one out the bag! :doh:

Maestro
22-11-2015, 08:07 AM
I have no reaction to this one

Ralpheroo72
22-11-2015, 08:12 AM
His players were the only dopes out there today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10745838/Arsene-Wenger-voices-concern-over-Arsenal-players-taking-medication-for-non-footballing-reasons.html

We'll see if he drags this one out the bag! :doh:

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:26 AM

As did City :shrug:

selassie
22-11-2015, 08:33 AM
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/arsenal-reluctantly-drops-jousting-from-training-schedule-20151112103810

:lol: Classic!

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:35 AM
You could have made this, or a similar statement to that highlighted at some stage in most of the past half dozen seasons. In each and every one of these seasons, however, the issues that have come to the fore in the past month have seen us finish well behind the eventual league winners. As I say, what depresses me is that there is no real sign of this team's familiar frailties being addressed this season.

That is true, but IMO we've only had the quality to compete properly in the last couple of years. Last year we got off to an awful start and by the time we got going we were already out of it. This year we're keeping pace. We should be top but while we're there or thereabouts I'll believe we have a chance. Have to win the next few ahead of the City game. That one will tell us something about our credentials.

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:44 AM
We have thrown away opportunities to push home our advantage yet again. How many times have we seen this? If you cannot see a train wreck from a mile away, then you must be blind.

This season? About as many times, probably not as many actually, as when we have taken those opportunities.
Most people on here ignore those though, wait for the next balls up (which happen to every club).
We should be top right now but so should City. Who would have thought Leicester would be top at this stage? :blink:
But if you look at their results they've had easier games than us so far - their only really tough game was against us and we thrashed them. This part of the season is about staying in touch. So far, we have. Yesterday was a balls up but those will happen in any season. If we do fall apart because of injuries or whatever then I'll join you in the Wenger Out brigade. I've said that all along. But I'll at least wait till it happens.

Özim
22-11-2015, 10:25 AM
It's been a pretty poor run in the last month or so has to be said, I don't see us winning the title anyhow regardless of where we are now, quality of the league has been really poor thus far so we're pretty lucky we're still in it tbh.

We're always poor in November so it's no real surprise, likewise the injuries, same culprits spending half the season on the injury table and yet we keep hold of these guys and still somehow put our faith in players who have proved time after time they can't stay fit.

Wish we'd got rid of Wenger and got Klopp, my only hope is that we get rid of him before Simeone goes to another club. Quite frankly the guy isn't up to the job, he's proved that time and time again in the last 10 years, he does some things right but too many things wrong......and his transfer policy is quite frankly ridiculous.

Niall_Quinn
22-11-2015, 11:02 AM
As did City :shrug:

What does that have to do with anything?

Globalgunner
22-11-2015, 11:51 AM

In this chaps world, adding emoticons is a display of deep profound thinking. Its only recently that we weaned him off prowling for grammatical errors as English/spelling slip-ups mean you obviously dont know what you're talking about.

Our strategy for almost winning is based on everyone else slipping up and allowing Leicester to win the league. We can then console ourselves that they were just lucky.

Dein-machine
22-11-2015, 11:54 AM
We lost yesterday because we haven't got a strong enough squad. Simple as that - everyone bar Wenger in the whole of the footballing world knows it. Arteta is a joke DM as is Flamini, did we expect Coq to not get injuries this year & we have to bring on Campbell to try & win a game - for a club our size with our resources it is simply pathetic that Wenger gets away with it

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 12:18 PM
This season? About as many times, probably not as many actually, as when we have taken those opportunities.
Most people on here ignore those though, wait for the next balls up (which happen to every club).
We should be top right now but so should City. Who would have thought Leicester would be top at this stage? :blink:
But if you look at their results they've had easier games than us so far - their only really tough game was against us and we thrashed them. This part of the season is about staying in touch. So far, we have. Yesterday was a balls up but those will happen in any season. If we do fall apart because of injuries or whatever then I'll join you in the Wenger Out brigade. I've said that all along. But I'll at least wait till it happens.
Why is this time different from all the others?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

topgun
22-11-2015, 01:36 PM
We lost yesterday because we haven't got a strong enough squad. Simple as that - everyone bar Wenger in the whole of the footballing world knows it. Arteta is a joke DM as is Flamini, did we expect Coq to not get injuries this year & we have to bring on Campbell to try & win a game - for a club our size with our resources it is simply pathetic that Wenger gets away with it

Exactly it is as simple as that,everyone can see we have not got the required strength in depth.This then leads to the domino effect,players get over played because of this and then they pick up injuries,Cog being a prime example.i think everyone fears that Alexis will be next,and who's fault is it.If the club were not in a position to avoid this people might understand,but this situation is totally avoidable,its gross incompetence to allow this to happen year after year after year and yet it happens.The same train crash every season and nothing done to correct the situation I mean what the f--k is going on here.Its very clear at this point that this will continue to be the case as long as Wenger stays in charge,I have got to the point where I can't stand the sight or sound of the guy anymore.If this club wants to move to the next level where it should be then its time for change.:oldboy:

mastermind84
22-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Nonsense

No team can survive 3 injuries to one position. Not even Bayern.

We lost yesterday because of bad luck. We should have scored two goals as there were 6 chances created in the 2nd half by the fellas.

It's not the end of the world at all. This side is still really strong and getting healthy soon.

Also I hope those who rag on Ramsey see his value now. Plus Theo is coming back. Like
Power_n_glory says, we need a fast striker in the side as our attack is more prolific.

Xhaka Can’t
22-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Are you that Club Shop guy from Arsenal TV?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Niall_Quinn
22-11-2015, 06:04 PM
At least we don't have to argue about team selection now. The team picks itself, while we still have 11 at least. Bouldy might get a game this year.

fakeyank
22-11-2015, 06:37 PM

That sentence is exactly why I dont agree with you much. You find the bad run of other clubs to justify why we are doing poorly.. I look at us missing opportunity after opportunity to drive home the advantage and show the rest that we are going for the title. Why dont you look at us and think "Why cant my team be like Chelsea last season where they grabbed the league by the scruff of the neck right from the start?".. we had an opportunity to do exactly that. Instead we are here saying "Hey, everyone is fucking up, so we are not that bad!"

I'll let you decide which attitude makes you a winner, and which attitude makes you the average joe.

Letters
22-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Do I really have to explain how what a potential rival for the title does is relevant?
We cocked it up yesterday, so did City. If the argument is we can't win the title because we cocked up then that logic should also apply to City. They had a harder game but at home they shouldn't be getting dicked on like that.
If they're potential champions right now then so are we.
The fact is all teams are messing up here and there, no-one has pulled away. Right now we just have to stay in the mix.

Letters
22-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Why is this time different from all the others?

I don't see that what happened 4 or 5 years ago is that relevant so I don't buy 'all the others' are relevant.
The most recent seasons are the most relevant, 2 years ago the new financial deals brought in a level of players like Ozil and Sanchez and it has made a clear difference. We've won 2 trophies in 2 years. Last year we should have challenged but our car crash of a start gave us no chance. This year I believe we have a chance and so far we're keeping in touch. For now that's enough. The next few games are important. We messed up yesterday but all teams do that here and there. The next few games and particularly the City one will tell us more about our title credentials.

Letters
22-11-2015, 07:13 PM
That sentence is exactly why I dont agree with you much. You find the bad run of other clubs to justify why we are doing poorly.. I look at us missing opportunity after opportunity to drive home the advantage and show the rest that we are going for the title. Why dont you look at us and think "Why cant my team be like Chelsea last season where they grabbed the league by the scruff of the neck right from the start?".. we had an opportunity to do exactly that. Instead we are here saying "Hey, everyone is fucking up, so we are not that bad!"

I'll let you decide which attitude makes you a winner, and which attitude makes you the average joe.
We haven't missed opportunity after opportunity, you're ignoring the opportunities we have taken. Off the top of my head Utd at home which saw us leapfrog them, Leicester away when City had dropped points - still Leicester's only league defeat.

Of course we should have won yesterday but the fact remains we're only a point off the other credible contenders. We cocked up but other teams do too, we'll mess up other games but so will others. We don't have to win every game and never mess up to be champions, while we're still in touch I'll believe we have a chance.

If we had taken the league by the scruff of the neck and were well clear at the top right now I bet you plenty on here would be predicting we'd just collapse anyway. Stop pretending your belief we have no chance of the title is anything to do with our results so far. Results so far show we're in the mix. I understand people's skepticism about our chances and recent form is a worry. As I said, let's see where we are after the City game. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I don't really think anyone with a winner's attitude would do that when only one point behind...

Letters
22-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Its only recently that we weaned him off prowling for grammatical errors as English/spelling slip-ups mean you obviously dont know what you're talking about.
"It's", and "don't"

:sulk:

fakeyank
22-11-2015, 07:42 PM
We haven't missed opportunity after opportunity, you're ignoring the opportunities we have taken. Off the top of my head Utd at home which saw us leapfrog them, Leicester away when City had dropped points - still Leicester's only league defeat.

Of course we should have won yesterday but the fact remains we're only a point off the other credible contenders. We cocked up but other teams do too, we'll mess up other games but so will others. We don't have to win every game and never mess up to be champions, while we're still in touch I'll believe we have a chance.

If we had taken the league by the scruff of the neck and were well clear at the top right now I bet you plenty on here would be predicting we'd just collapse anyway. Stop pretending your belief we have no chance of the title is anything to do with our results so far. Results so far show we're in the mix. I understand people's skepticism about our chances and recent form is a worry. As I said, let's see where we are after the City game. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. I don't really think anyone with a winner's attitude would do that when only one point behind...

You dont become winners when you take 2 opportunities and then miss 2 opportunities. I am not forgetting that we have had good performances but we have had some horrible performances too. As for being one point behind a credible contender, I have a sneaky feeling Liverpool will be up there very very soon.

And I am not throwing in the towel yet and neither should you, but like I said, you can see the train wreck coming.. we are just praying and hoping that the driver of the train (Wenger) can see that he needs to change tracks. But knowing him, you know he will take the same track to destruction.

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:06 PM
You dont become winners when you take 2 opportunities and then miss 2 opportunities. I am not forgetting that we have had good performances but we have had some horrible performances too. As for being one point behind a credible contender, I have a sneaky feeling Liverpool will be up there very very soon.

Not sure about Liverpool. Maybe. As I was saying at the start of the season though, you don't win the title in the first 10 games, but you can lose it as we did last year. This year we're in touch and for now that's enough. It would be nice to be 5 points clear, or whatever, but would that make anyone on here feel confident we'd last the distance? We've had some very good results and a few really poor ones. But, for now, we're in the mix. And, for now, that's enough.

And I am not throwing in the towel yet and neither should you, but like I said, you can see the train wreck coming.. we are just praying and hoping that the driver of the train (Wenger) can see that he needs to change tracks. But knowing him, you know he will take the same track to destruction.

Unfortunately I think our train is stuck on the tracks - I don't see how he can change them now unless he makes an impressive signing in January and I think that's unlikely. We're stuck with the squad we have and if we fail to challenge because of injuries and a lack of squad depth then Wenger should be sacked. The next few games will tell us a bit more about our credentials. We messed up the first 'easy' game but we have a few more before the City game.

Özim
22-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Do I really have to explain how what a potential rival for the title does is relevant?
We cocked it up yesterday, so did City. If the argument is we can't win the title because we cocked up then that logic should also apply to City.

Well no because they've won the title recently and have shown they can, we haven't for over a decade and have collapsed like a house of cards more often than we care to count.

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't care what has happened in the past. For the last couple of years we've been signing the sorts of players who can win you a title.
Last year we started getting the sorts of results in big games which win you trophies, we've already won 2.
This year we need to push on for the bigger prizes, so far we're in touch and right now that's good enough.
We wouldn't have won either Utd game - away in the Cup last year, home in the league this year - a few years ago.
If you don't believe we have any chance then fine, stop watching - what's the point? While we're in the mix I'll believe we have a chance, as I've said the next few games will tell us more about our title credentials.

selassie
22-11-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't care what has happened in the past. For the last couple of years we've been signing the sorts of players who can win you a title.
Last year we started getting the sorts of results in big games which win you trophies, we've already won 2.
This year we need to push on for the bigger prizes, so far we're in touch and right now that's good enough.
We wouldn't have won either Utd game - away in the Cup last year, home in the league this year - a few years ago.
If you don't believe we have any chance then fine, stop watching - what's the point? While we're in the mix I'll believe we have a chance, as I've said the next few games will tell us more about our title credentials.

My stance on things is that if we can keep 90% of the squad fit then we can and will challenge strongly for the title, the issue we have now and have had over the past 4 or 5 seasons is the squad is decimated with injuries. If the injuries don't ease up and we don't have a relatively fit squad by January then we can wave goodbye to the title, I'd go as far as to say we will be in a real scrap for top 4 if injuries don't ease up because I think Spurs & to a lesser extent Liverpool are starting to show real signs of improvement.

Despite all that, I think when we had a relatively injury free squad earlier on in the season we at times did look like the real deal.

Letters
22-11-2015, 08:47 PM
My stance on things is that if we can keep 90% of the squad fit then we can and will challenge strongly for the title, the issue we have now and have had over the past 4 or 5 seasons is the squad is decimated with injuries. If the injuries don't ease up and we don't have a relatively fit squad by January then we can wave goodbye to the title, I'd go as far as to say we will be in a real scrap for top 4 if injuries don't ease up because I think Spurs & to a lesser extent Liverpool are starting to show real signs of improvement.

Despite all that, I think when we had a relatively injury free squad earlier on in the season we at times did look like the real deal.

If I was being picky I'd tell you that decimate means "to remove one in 10", so that would be 90% of our squad fit ;) :coney:
But basically, I agree. IMO we're good enough but the injury problems are building up again and that is looking like it may cost us.
If so then #WengerOut, 'cos this has been a problem for years and he hasn't found a solution.
But while we're in touch I'm going to keep believing we have a chance. We have a good run in, if we're there or thereabouts with 10 games left I think we've got a shot.

fakeyank
23-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately I think our train is stuck on the tracks - I don't see how he can change them now unless he makes an impressive signing in January and I think that's unlikely. We're stuck with the squad we have and if we fail to challenge because of injuries and a lack of squad depth then Wenger should be sacked. The next few games will tell us a bit more about our credentials. We messed up the first 'easy' game but we have a few more before the City game.

I dont think signings are the issues. My first post on this thread was about the lack of urgency in our game. I do not know if you watched this game or not, but the players didnt even look bothered till the 85th minute. There was no hustle, no busting a gut, just piss poor non-penetrative football. This was no Bayern Munich against who we couldnt touch the ball.. this was West Brom FFS!

I have mentioned this before as well.. My main grievance with Wenger is not primarily his signings. It has always been about his tactics and man management. While he could have and should have done better in the transfer window, he is very poor in tactics and motivating a team. The same mental frailties are a trademark of his teams. Yesterday's game was just plain horrible.. no motivation, no energy, no plan B. Gutless!

Letters
23-11-2015, 07:03 AM
I don't disagree about Wenger's weaknesses, but he's always had those. It didn't stop us winning titles back in the day. And the next guy, he'll just have different weaknesses. It sounded like a bad day at the office all round on Saturday. Those happen to every team. We can't afford too many though, it's the first really bad league result for ages so let's see how we react. If we have a nightmare few weeks which sees us fall out of the title race then I'll probably catch ZD too. Hopefully not the Stage 3 Brain Death kind though.

selassie
23-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Wenger is definitely a problem, he's not responsible for absolutely everything that goes wrong but he's definitely part of it, some things are directly his fault.

Poor planning costs us everytime, I don't even know how he can talk his way out of it TBH, we all see it coming, he didn't, it's not even like we're unlucky.

I know this is off the back of seeing them dismantle City but who thinks Klopp would do a better job than Wenger here at Arsenal? I sure as hell do.

selassie
23-11-2015, 09:59 AM
If I was being picky I'd tell you that decimate means "to remove one in 10", so that would be 90% of our squad fit ;) :coney:
But basically, I agree. IMO we're good enough but the injury problems are building up again and that is looking like it may cost us.
If so then #WengerOut, 'cos this has been a problem for years and he hasn't found a solution.
But while we're in touch I'm going to keep believing we have a chance. We have a good run in, if we're there or thereabouts with 10 games left I think we've got a shot.

Yeah you are being picky...you know what I mean ;)

Power n Glory
23-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I dont think signings are the issues. My first post on this thread was about the lack of urgency in our game. I do not know if you watched this game or not, but the players didnt even look bothered till the 85th minute. There was no hustle, no busting a gut, just piss poor non-penetrative football. This was no Bayern Munich against who we couldnt touch the ball.. this was West Brom FFS!

I have mentioned this before as well.. My main grievance with Wenger is not primarily his signings. It has always been about his tactics and man management. While he could have and should have done better in the transfer window, he is very poor in tactics and motivating a team. The same mental frailties are a trademark of his teams. Yesterday's game was just plain horrible.. no motivation, no energy, no plan B. Gutless!

Most of us are on the same page with this one. Same hallmarks as past teams with the lifeless performances. As said with the Utd game, it’s not a good sign when the manager leaves it up to the players to pep themselves up for a game. The initiative should come from the manager first and trickle down to the rest of the team. We’re lucky that City lost yesterday so still close to the top but we’re not learning from past seasons. The manager, the players, even us fans rattling on about our shortcomings or what’s different to past seasons. Déjà vu. Even if we win the league somehow, I want Wenger gone after regardless. Winning the league again would be miraculous. Like surviving a rally race with Stevie Wonder at the wheel. The joy at cross the finish line would be a feeling like no other. But you’ve be mad to jump back in the car again and think you’ll be as lucky. This is it for Wenger.

Dein-machine
23-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I don't disagree about Wenger's weaknesses, but he's always had those. It didn't stop us winning titles back in the day. And the next guy, he'll just have different weaknesses. It sounded like a bad day at the office all round on Saturday. Those happen to every team. We can't afford too many though, it's the first really bad league result for ages so let's see how we react. If we have a nightmare few weeks which sees us fall out of the title race then I'll probably catch ZD too. Hopefully not the Stage 3 Brain Death kind though.

All managers may have weaknesses but if you are managing a team with title aspirations you cannot have the weakness of not spending the right money on quality players in areas of need. The next manager may not for example be great on the training ground but you get good coaches in for that, as long as he identifies a style of play that wins games & makes sure we have the best players possible including cover to play that style. Previous years have shown the weaknesses of players like Giroud & Mertesacker, so you have to deal with it in the transfer market - Wenger constantly fails to do so. A non-league manager walking into Arsenal last year would have known we needed cover for Coq, another quality CB & a proven goalscorer. Without these, points will be dropped along the way due to injuries, suspensions & strikers not taking their fair share of chances.
Saturday proved that Arteta shouldn't be anywhere near an Arsenal shirt - its not a biased reaction from Saturday, you will find posts from me & many others saying exactly the same over the past few years. You will note how many times posters on here say about how unlucky we were with missed chances etc. Missed chances aren't unlucky when you have as many as we do - its poor finishing from strikers simply not good enough.
At the same time Campbell was missing a sitter from 5 yards on Sat, West Brom were bringing Berahinho on, Vardy was banging in his 10th successive goal - there were players out there who can score goals - we decided we didnt need them. Players like Schneiderlein were available to give us options to Coq but we decided Arteta & Flamini are good enough. These are very basic errors that are unbelievable errors from a man of Wengers suppposed football knowledge.
We lost Saturday due to Arteta being a shit alternative to Coq & our strikers not taking chances, This is not bad luck - its bad management & there will be plenty more games like it this year. These games ultimately cost us the chance to compete & its the same every year.

Niall_Quinn
23-11-2015, 11:56 AM
All managers may have weaknesses but if you are managing a team with title aspirations you cannot have the weakness of not spending the right money on quality players in areas of need. The next manager may not for example be great on the training ground but you get good coaches in for that, as long as he identifies a style of play that wins games & makes sure we have the best players possible including cover to play that style. Previous years have shown the weaknesses of players like Giroud & Mertesacker, so you have to deal with it in the transfer market - Wenger constantly fails to do so. A non-league manager walking into Arsenal last year would have known we needed cover for Coq, another quality CB & a proven goalscorer. Without these, points will be dropped along the way due to injuries, suspensions & strikers not taking their fair share of chances.
Saturday proved that Arteta shouldn't be anywhere near an Arsenal shirt - its not a biased reaction from Saturday, you will find posts from me & many others saying exactly the same over the past few years. You will note how many times posters on here say about how unlucky we were with missed chances etc. Missed chances aren't unlucky when you have as many as we do - its poor finishing from strikers simply not good enough.
At the same time Campbell was missing a sitter from 5 yards on Sat, West Brom were bringing Berahinho on, Vardy was banging in his 10th successive goal - there were players out there who can score goals - we decided we didnt need them. Players like Schneiderlein were available to give us options to Coq but we decided Arteta & Flamini are good enough. These are very basic errors that are unbelievable errors from a man of Wengers suppposed football knowledge.
We lost Saturday due to Arteta being a shit alternative to Coq & our strikers not taking chances, This is not bad luck - its bad management & there will be plenty more games like it this year. These games ultimately cost us the chance to compete & its the same every year.

Wenger may want to win trophies, but that's not his priority above all else. His number one priority is to keep the club running in a way that matches his philosophy. Big happy families. Players getting chance after chance after chance to deliver and even when they come up short and there's no sign whatsoever they'll improve, getting another chance. Happy players, great spirit, and fun was had by all. But it's not a shop for winners. Everyone and everything is too comfortable. Except in his focus area of attacking midfielders, no real competition around the squad because the players who are supposedly challenging the first eleven just aren't good enough - not at the top level anyway. No boots being thrown at player's faces. Silly promises behind the scenes that result in mega-farce such as Cech being benched for CL matches. Arsenal must be the easiest touch in football for a mid-tier player like Gibbs or Flamini or you could say Giroud. And this has gone from one extreme to another. Previously we'd get rid of 30 year olds when they still had plenty to offer. Now we hang on to them when they are well past their sell-by date.

We need a football bastard in here to shake up the whole mentality. It should be about winners getting the big bucks and bonuses and losers getting kicked in the face or kicked out the door. I think Pellegrini suffers from the same shit. He should be walking this league with the resources at his disposal but the players are shitting on him. Ferguson would have kicked that cunt Toure 50 yards into the air and then onto the street by now, and then brought in a better replacement regardless of how much it cost.

We went into the season without a killer striker, without a like for like replacement for our only genuine DM and knowing Merts would get plenty of game time because we're short of quality there too. Cech was a great signing of course. We'd have dropped more points had he not been in the net. Like we did in the CL for instance, when Wenger went with the guy who throws the ball in his own net.

So two weeds trying to kill off a mediocre Utd and who can't take the advantage gift wrapped by collapsing chavs. Pellegrini will probably be sacked even if he wins the title this year. The owners know what they want at that club, the publicity afforded to winners. Not runners-up, or CL qualifiers or an almost did something bunch of millionaires. The ruthlessness required to win. We, on the other hand, will probably give our guy a contract extension. And so the same story will go on and on with everyone bar the few hold-outs knowing how it's going to pan out season after season. As fans we aren't in this any more. We're expected to hand over cash but our expectation of getting something in return is not recognised any more. Instead there's a happy little family, great spirit, great money, great lifestyle, it must be fucking lovely to be an Arsenal manager or player. Best job in the world surely? All the perks, none of the targets. Bliss. No wonder spirits are so high.

selassie
23-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Wenger may want to win trophies, but that's not his priority above all else. His number one priority is to keep the club running in a way that matches his philosophy. Big happy families. Players getting chance after chance after chance to deliver and even when they come up short and there's no sign whatsoever they'll improve, getting another chance. Happy players, great spirit, and fun was had by all. But it's not a shop for winners. Everyone and everything is too comfortable. Except in his focus area of attacking midfielders, no real competition around the squad because the players who are supposedly challenging the first eleven just aren't good enough - not at the top level anyway. No boots being thrown at player's faces. Silly promises behind the scenes that result in mega-farce such as Cech being benched for CL matches. Arsenal must be the easiest touch in football for a mid-tier player like Gibbs or Flamini or you could say Giroud. And this has gone from one extreme to another. Previously we'd get rid of 30 year olds when they still had plenty to offer. Now we hang on to them when they are well past their sell-by date.

We need a football bastard in here to shake up the whole mentality. It should be about winners getting the big bucks and bonuses and losers getting kicked in the face or kicked out the door. I think Pellegrini suffers from the same shit. He should be walking this league with the resources at his disposal but the players are shitting on him. Ferguson would have kicked that cunt Toure 50 yards into the air and then onto the street by now, and then brought in a better replacement regardless of how much it cost.

We went into the season without a killer striker, without a like for like replacement for our only genuine DM and knowing Merts would get plenty of game time because we're short of quality there too. Cech was a great signing of course. We'd have dropped more points had he not been in the net. Like we did in the CL for instance, when Wenger went with the guy who throws the ball in his own net.

So two weeds trying to kill off a mediocre Utd and who can't take the advantage gift wrapped by collapsing chavs. Pellegrini will probably be sacked even if he wins the title this year. The owners know what they want at that club, the publicity afforded to winners. Not runners-up, or CL qualifiers or an almost did something bunch of millionaires. The ruthlessness required to win. We, on the other hand, will probably give our guy a contract extension. And so the same story will go on and on with everyone bar the few hold-outs knowing how it's going to pan out season after season. As fans we aren't in this any more. We're expected to hand over cash but our expectation of getting something in return is not recognised any more. Instead there's a happy little family, great spirit, great money, great lifestyle, it must be fucking lovely to be an Arsenal manager or player. Best job in the world surely? All the perks, none of the targets. Bliss. No wonder spirits are so high.

:gp:

AFC Leveller
24-11-2015, 10:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeaLynH8JB0

fakeyank
24-11-2015, 04:04 PM
That was a brilliant analysis of the offside rule.

The Coq analysis was something which everyone could see light years away, except Wumger