PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Last 16 Draw (14/12/15 11am GMT).

McNamara That Ghost...
13-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Confirmed group winners: Real Madrid (Group A, ESP), Wolfsburg (B, GER), Atlético Madrid (C, ESP), Manchester City (D, ENG), Barcelona (E, ESP, holders), Bayern München (F, GER), Chelsea (G, ENG), Zenit (H, RUS)

Confirmed group runners-up: Paris Saint-Germain (Group A, FRA), PSV Eindhoven (B, NED), Benfica (C, POR), Juventus (D, ITA), Roma (E, ITA), Arsenal (F, ENG), Dynamo Kyiv (G, UKR), Gent (H, BEL)

The teams we can face:

Real Madrid (Spa), Wolfsburg (Ger), Atletico Madrid (Spa), Barcelona (Spa), Zenit St Petersburg (Rus).

:popcorn:

Xhaka Can’t
13-12-2015, 08:23 PM
I'd quite like Marketing.

Power n Glory
13-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Madrid would be fantastic.

Kano
13-12-2015, 08:41 PM
I'd like a pop at Atleti. Think we've only ever played them once and that was in a friendly.

Barcelona it is then.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-12-2015, 08:41 PM
In order of preference:

1) Zenit (It'd be their off-season and they won't be fit)
2) Wolfsburg (Beat them in the Emirates cup and despite being a good side, we're better on paper)
3) Real (Tough, but it'd be an open game at least which should suit us.)
4) Athletico (Horrible team to play against. Think of Pulis' Stoke City except with better players.)
5) Barca (Neymar, Suarez and Messi running towards Flamini.................... someone think of the children)

Static
13-12-2015, 11:56 PM
In order of preference:

1) Zenit (It'd be their off-season and they won't be fit)
2) Wolfsburg (Beat them in the Emirates cup and despite being a good side, we're better on paper)
3) Real (Tough, but it'd be an open game at least which should suit us.)
4) Athletico (Horrible team to play against. Think of Pulis' Stoke City except with better players.)
5) Barca (Neymar, Suarez and Messi running towards Flamini.................... someone think of the children)

When is le Coq back?

Niall_Quinn
14-12-2015, 01:40 AM
When is le Coq back?

2 weeks :getcoat:

fakeyank
14-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Think we can beat all of those teams except Barca.

Özim
14-12-2015, 09:40 AM
I reckon our only hope is against teams like Wolfsburg and Zenit, I would however give Wolfsburg a good chance of beating us as well and with Zenit being a long trip I could imagine that going wrong too.

Realitically though we'll probably get Real, Athletico or Barca in which case we have no chance of going through (even though Real are managed by an amateur like Benitez).

Letters
14-12-2015, 09:44 AM
I reckon our only hope is against teams like Wolfsburg and Zenit, I would however give Wolfsburg a good chance of beating us as well and with Zenit being a long trip I could imagine that going wrong too.

Realitically though we'll probably get Real, Athletico or Barca in which case we have no chance of going through (even though Real are managed by an amateur like Benitez).

You really are having to scrape the barrel right now to still have a moan, aren't you? :lol:
Cheer up, we might lose against City. :good:

Özim
14-12-2015, 09:58 AM
You really are having to scrape the barrel right now to still have a moan, aren't you? :lol:
Cheer up, we might lose against City. :good:

Not really, we hardly setting the world alight, we're no better than last season, circumstances mean however that we are better placed.

I don't fancy our chances in the CL, we're proven failures in this competition, so its hard to be confident against any team, just look at our record if you don't believe me.

Wenger's done his bit now, he can't put his feet up and pat himself on the back, half of our goals is achieved, when we secure 4th place it'll be another one of those glorious seasons we should feel proud about.

Letters
14-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Not really, we hardly setting the world alight, we're no better than last season, circumstances mean however that we are better placed.
We're 7 points better off than at this stage last season. We'd have been in 3rd last season with this number of points, 6 points off the top.
Conversely, on last year's form we'd be 5th right now, level on points with Spurs.
We're not going to win the CL, we've got a decent chance at the league though. That's where I see the success (or not) of our season lying.

Wenger's done his bit now, he can't put his feet up and pat himself on the back, half of our goals is achieved
Agreed

when we secure 4th place it'll be another one of those glorious seasons we should feel proud about.
No, it won't.

AFC Leveller
14-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Id love to get Marketing and i really fancy us against them more so than against Barca who would destroy us.

Apart from Barcelona, all the other teams are more than beatable.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 10:19 AM
When is le Coq back?

February I think which would put him touch and go for the CL, but I doubt Wenger would throw him right into the deep end straight from his injury unless we were really desperate.

This is why it's absolutely imperative we buy a DM in the window! As likeable as Flamini is, we won't be able to sustain a PL or CL run with him starting weekly.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Anyone know what channel this is on?

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 10:58 AM
BT Europe but I'll be watching it on Eurosport.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Champions League music. :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:01 AM
BT Europe but I'll be watching it on Eurosport.

Thanks. Had an SSN stream on and was puzzled why they weren't showing it, let alone discussing it. :lol:

Then I remembered that they lost the rights so they would pretend that it doesn't exist.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Roma qualifying with six points. :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Zanetti. :bow:

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Zanetti :bow::bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Wonder if it'll be a bog of a pitch at the San Siro.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Zenit and Dynamo Kiev can't be drawn against each other. :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:12 AM
It's time!

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Gent up.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Gent v Wolfsburg.

Oh dear.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:13 AM
FFS Wolfsberg gone!!!!!

Got to pray for Zenit now!

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:14 AM
It's going to be Barca isn't it :cry:

McNamara That Ghost...
Roma v Real Madrid!

McNamara That Ghost...
PSG up!

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:15 AM
PSG v Chelsea!

:haha:

The Emirates Gallactico
lol Chelsea :haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
It's us.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Arsenal v Barcelona.

Mother dick.

The Emirates Gallactico
fucking hell fuck off Cuntscunts cunts!!!

Barca!!

LDG

Again, again, again, again, again.....

AFC Leveller
14-12-2015, 11:17 AM
shit.

The Emirates Gallactico
:rose:

CL hopes.

Doing all that against Olympiakos only to draw Barca in the next round. :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
Juventus v Bayern Munich.

:popcorn:

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:18 AM
PSV v Atletico Madrid.

The Emirates Gallactico
With us and Chelsea likely to struggle, the English coefficient is going to really take a hit.

McNamara That Ghost...
Benfica v Zenit.

Power n Glory
How boring!

Munchies
FUCKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

McNamara That Ghost...
Dynamo Kiev v Man City.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:19 AM
And Benfica get Zenit. Sigh ......

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Alexis to knock them out. :cloud9:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

The thing is no one actually thinks we will win this competition and if we did we'd have to beat Bayern, Real or Barca to do so.

Apart from fixture congestion which we don't need what difference is losing to teams like Barca in the last sixteen or the semi final.

We got the easy draw last season and couldn't be bothered to take the first leg seriously so there you go.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie

The thing is no one actually thinks we will win this competition and if we did we'd have to beat Bayern, Real or Barca to do so.

Apart from fixture congestion which we don't need what difference is losing to teams like Barca in the last sixteen or the semi final.

We got the easy draw last season and couldn't be bothered to take the first leg seriously so there you go.

selassie
14-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Predictable draw, there's always next year!

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:30 AM

I don't know why you (and everyone else) are so pessimistic about our chances in the CL. It's not necessarily the best team in Europe that win the thing.

A poor Chelsea side won it a few years ago, Liverpool won it, Juve got to the final last year, we got to the final .......... at the very least we should be doing better than getting constantly knocked out in the last 16. With some luck avoiding the big teams (and not choking like last year when that happens) we have the quality to make the semi's at least and from there anything can happen.

Kano
14-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Fuck those pricks.

Who we got in the Quarters?

selassie
14-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Yeah this, assuming we got an easier draw and progressed we'd have to face one of the big boys anyway. To be honest...I didn't really fancy our chances against any of the potential draws with the exception of Wolfsburg and Zenit and we were not certain of beating those two anyway. Barca is the hardest draw we could of got though, it won't be pretty watching us go to the Nou Camp and get torn a new one.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Anyway, I'll start the preparations for putting a curse on Neymar, Suarez and Messi. :pray::pray:

selassie
14-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't know why you (and everyone else) are so pessimistic about our chances in the CL. It's not necessarily the best team in Europe that win the thing.

A poor Chelsea side won it a few years ago, Liverpool won it, Juve got to the final last year, we got to the final .......... at the very least we should be doing better than getting constantly knocked out in the last 16. With some luck avoiding the big teams (and not choking like last year when that happens) we have the quality to make the semi's at least and from there anything can happen.

Hmmm...I think CL isn't as balanced as it use to be, Bayern & Barca are streets ahead of everyone else IMO, offensively they are both just too good, in fact both teams have amazing balance all over their squads.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I see this draw playing out very similar to how we fared against Bayern in the group, I think we can beat Barca at home...but I think we'll get a real beating over in the Nou Camp.

P.S. FWIW, As it stands I think Bayern are the only team in CL that could live with Barca...so it's not like I am downplaying us.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-12-2015, 11:39 AM
It won't quite be the suffocation against Guardiola sides but it's going to be close.

Messi. :(

Power n Glory
14-12-2015, 11:43 AM
:rose:

CL hopes.

Doing all that against Olympiakos only to draw Barca in the next round. :doh:

Bound to happen. Stepping up for that game wasn't the challenge. This is the one. Just annoyed that it's another Barca tie. Would have preferred Madrid. But saying that, we have nothing to fear.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Hmmm...I think CL isn't as balanced as it use to be, Bayern & Barca are streets ahead of everyone else IMO, offensively they are both just too good, in fact both teams have amazing balance all over their squads.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I see this draw playing out very similar to how we fared against Bayern in the group, I think we can beat Barca at home...but I think we'll get a real beating over in the Nou Camp.

P.S. FWIW, As it stands I think Bayern are the only team in CL that could live with Barca...so it's not like I am downplaying us.

Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you here; Barca and Bayern are streets ahead of everyone and we'll do well not to get massacred.

However that's exactly why getting drawn to Barca right now is so depressing. Avoiding them and hoping that they faced each other in the Quarters or Semi's meant that you could have potentially only had to face them in a one off game where anything could have happened (see Chelsea in 2011).

adzzzbatch
14-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Shall try and get a ticket hoping for another Arrrrrrrrrsssshavin! moment :cloud9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv2mxzmVvdg

Power n Glory
14-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you here; Barca and Bayern are streets ahead of everyone and we'll do well not to get massacred.

However that's exactly why getting drawn to Barca right now is so depressing. Avoiding them and hoping that they faced each other in the Quarters or Semi's meant that you could have potentially only had to face them in a one off game where anything could have happened (see Chelsea in 2011).

I'd rather we get the big games early so we set the standard early for ourselves. But saying that....this is Arsenal. The springboard effect just doesn't work for us. We could beat Barca but go out in the next round to Zenit. :lol: But I hope we put on a show this year. We raised our game against Bayern and we can do it against Barca as long as we have the right team selection.

AFC Leveller
14-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I'd rather we get the big games early so we set the standard early for ourselves. But saying that....this is Arsenal. The springboard effect just doesn't work for us. We could beat Barca but go out in the next round to Zenit. :lol: But I hope we put on a show this year. We raised our game against Bayern and we can do it against Barca as long as we have the right team selection.

When we have faced Barcelona in the past, i always looked forward to their games and gave us a chance, esp at home. This season however, we are facing a simply outstanding team, their attackm and midfield are so good and create so much that it will be tough for us to keep them quiet. I know we kept Bayern at bay at home this season but for me Barcelona are a better side, esp upfront.

Bumble
14-12-2015, 12:47 PM
its the taking part that matters. it could have been worse, we could have been in the Europa league with a chance of winning it and think of all those extra games that players can get injured in. at least now we know we only have 2 more matches left.

Think Cech might need to play pretty well for us to come out of this with anything.

Niall_Quinn
14-12-2015, 12:51 PM
But the point is we have Cech. He's got experience of actually winning the thing and he's several steps up on what we've been going into these bigger CL games with in the recent past. I assume we'll actually play him.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-12-2015, 01:09 PM
But the point is we have Cech. He's got experience of actually winning the thing and he's several steps up on what we've been going into these bigger CL games with in the recent past. I assume we'll actually play him.

You clearly haven't thought of the negative impact that will have on poor diminutive David Ospina have you?

For Shame

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-12-2015, 01:13 PM

And what happened when Dortmund, Atletico and Juve got to the final?

We can say what we like about Chelsea being a "minnow" when they won it, a team that had splashed out on Torres and Mata...just because they pubbed their way to victory.
The point i am making is that if we want to win the competition we are going to have to play a team like Barcelona anyway, i don't think we have a good enough squad (in terms of depth) to be able to go for both that and the premier league....and i've got to the point where i think winning the premier league is a must....man city are inconsistent, chelsea are no where.....there is no hiding place, no excuse for us this time....

Özim
14-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Bye bye Champions league, it's been nice knowing you. We're going to get thumped by this lot.

Neymar, Messi and Suarez against our lot will have a field day.

Özim
14-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Simple answer, we're dogshite in Europe, we'll never beat one of the top teams in this competition with Wenger in charge because quite frankly we have a manager unable to upset the odds when it matters, everything is so predictable with us, there's just no "if" it's always when. Can't think of many other sides where you can predict the outcome and be so right so often, yes some weaker teams have won the CL, but they'll all had an air of unpredictability about them, we just don't and haven't for years.

Last 16 is our limit and it'll remain that way until Wenger finally moves on....in a decade.

Power n Glory
14-12-2015, 02:06 PM
When we have faced Barcelona in the past, i always looked forward to their games and gave us a chance, esp at home. This season however, we are facing a simply outstanding team, their attackm and midfield are so good and create so much that it will be tough for us to keep them quiet. I know we kept Bayern at bay at home this season but for me Barcelona are a better side, esp upfront.

With everyone expecting us to get mopped, I think the players will play out of their skins for this tie as they usually do when counted out in such a way.

Marc Overmars
14-12-2015, 02:07 PM
No chance of going through of course but it should be a fun tie.

Özim
14-12-2015, 02:07 PM
We're 7 points better off than at this stage last season. We'd have been in 3rd last season with this number of points, 6 points off the top.
Conversely, on last year's form we'd be 5th right now, level on points with Spurs.
We're not going to win the CL, we've got a decent chance at the league though. That's where I see the success (or not) of our season lying.

No offcence but the standard of the league this season has been shocking it really has, one of the poorest PL seasons ever in terms of quality. Man City should be coasting but Pellegrini is really making a mess of it and Mourinho is having a mare this year. It's the best chance we'll ever have but in terms of competition there's not a lot which explains our position right now.....I still expect us to mess it up mind, I'm just explaining our false position if you like.

Looking at our performances this season we're nowhere near the quality that should be required to win a league, neither is anyone else fortunately, I don't think I've ever seen such a poor level of competition, Man U won it a few years back with a dogshite team too, but they had Ferguson who managed to raise the level of the players by 200% and performed miracles.

Wenger isn't even in the same universe as Fergie, but I still think that the team that wins the title should perform like champions and by all intents and purposes we're performing more like chumps.

I still see Man City winning this thing though as they have Aguero and we have Giroud, a world class forward vs a one dimensional average joe and that's a big advantage they have.

Özim
14-12-2015, 02:09 PM
No chance of going through of course but it should be a fun tie.

Should be good to watch Neymar is a brilliant player and Suarez despite being a bag o shite is top player, they're better to watch then before as they have better attackers.

Özim
14-12-2015, 02:13 PM
With everyone expecting us to get mopped, I think the players will play out of their skins for this tie as they usually do when counted out in such a way.

We'll do ok at home I reckon, Barca will dominate but we'll get a goal or two against the run of play and then people will suddenly believe we're the best thing since sliced bread, we'll then get thumped away however and come back to earth with a bump.

Then we'll falter in the league if we're still in with a chance.

Globalgunner
14-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted. All that matters now is that we have a real go. I'm guessing the first leg is at the Emirates. Would be great if we got a win or draw before going to the Camp Nou. If we lose the first leg might as well send the kids to have a fun day in Spain for the return.

COYG`s

Marc Overmars
14-12-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm going to look at this as karma for ballsing up the plum draw last year. You can't get that lucky twice.

Özim
14-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted. All that matters now is that we have a real go. I'm guessing the first leg is at the Emirates. Would be great if we got a win or draw before going to the Camp Nou. If we lose the first leg might as well send the kids to have a fun day in Spain for the return.

COYG`s

Wasn't that much fun to be fair, we made a right pig's ear of the group stage and managed to turn it around but it should have been much more comfortable that it was.

Yeah best thing we can do is give it a go, but we all know that we're out of this, we can just watch this for entertainment value and a possible hard luck story at the end if we're lucky.

Power n Glory
14-12-2015, 02:32 PM
We'll do ok at home I reckon, Barca will dominate but we'll get a goal or two against the run of play and then people will suddenly believe we're the best thing since sliced bread, we'll then get thumped away however and come back to earth with a bump.

Then we'll falter in the league if we're still in with a chance.

The heroic exit.

Letters
14-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Arsenal v Barcelona.

Mother dick.

:lol: Textbook. Ah well, it'll be fun watching it...possibly.

Letters
14-12-2015, 03:05 PM

I'd rather face someone like Barca tbh. We'll almost certainly get knocked out but there's no disgrace there. We could do without the extra games and it will be 2 interesting games.
At our best we can give them a game.

Özim
14-12-2015, 03:07 PM
I'd rather face someone like Barca tbh. We'll almost certainly get knocked out but there's no disgrace there. We could do without the extra games and it will be 2 interesting games.
At our best we can give them a game.

No disgrace no, but the fact we can predict that we're out whenever this happens IS a disgrace, teams like Liverpool, Chelsea etc have upset the odds in the past and yet we never seem to be able to.

No team is unbeatable, it kinda depends how much you want something as teams have shown in the past and we use to as well (under George Graham as an example), we never want it enough or play like a team that really believes they can upset the odds, so naturally we can knocked out.

Özim
14-12-2015, 03:08 PM
The heroic exit.

As is the norm, even against teams like Monaco.

Letters
14-12-2015, 03:11 PM

:lol: That would be Wenger's best WUM yet if he played Ospina.

Letters
14-12-2015, 03:18 PM
No disgrace no, but the fact we can predict that we're out whenever this happens IS a disgrace, teams like Liverpool, Chelsea etc have upset the odds in the past and yet we never seem to be able to.

No team is unbeatable, it kinda depends how much you want something as teams have shown in the past and we use to as well (under George Graham as an example), we never want it enough or play like a team that really believes they can upset the odds, so naturally we can knocked out.

I don't think any English side is anywhere near the level of teams like Barca, Bayern or Real right now.
Players like Cech, Ozil and Sanchez maybe give us a chance - and they also give a chance of the league too. Giroud is no Aguero but he's decent enough and supported by some of the real world class players we do have it gives us a chance.

hobson's choice
14-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Oh well im done with tourney for this season. English teams are lucky that the Serie A is shit, and France only have one good team. Or the PL could be in serious danger off losing a CL

fakeyank
14-12-2015, 05:40 PM
This game worries me... I am worried players like Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey will play like wild beasts and get themselves injured for our actual goal- the PL. There is NO way we will win this tie, unless we can pull Lasagnagate Pt 2 and Pt 3 during the home and away legs.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Offensively I think we can cause them problems and put on a show. Mathieu, Pique and Agent Vermaelen aren't the best CB's in the world ...... can definitely see us scoring.

Only problem is that there isn't a hope in hell's chance we can stop any of Messi, Neymar or Suarez scoring in either leg. Especially if it's going to be Flamini and Ramsey in the middle. :doh:

Got to pray for an injury or form issues to at least a couple of those three to even stand a chance. :pray:

And what happened when Dortmund, Atletico and Juve got to the final?

We can say what we like about Chelsea being a "minnow" when they won it, a team that had splashed out on Torres and Mata...just because they pubbed their way to victory.
The point i am making is that if we want to win the competition we are going to have to play a team like Barcelona anyway, i don't think we have a good enough squad (in terms of depth) to be able to go for both that and the premier league....and i've got to the point where i think winning the premier league is a must....man city are inconsistent, chelsea are no where.....there is no hiding place, no excuse for us this time....

Athletico were literally seconds away from winning the CL when Ramos powered in that header in the last moment of the game.

Dortmund needed an 89th minute wonder goal from Robben to see them off.

Usually these games are tight edgy affairs, no matter the difference on paper and whilst of course not being favourites, we would stand a reasonable chance in a one off game against either one, whereas in a two legged tie the other team always has a chance to rec.

And for the last point, we equally are just as susceptible to let a negative result in the CL affect our confidence in our PL games. I don't think it's easy for the team to compartmentalise each tournament when you get to the latter stages.

Master Splinter
14-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Boring.

I'll predict next year's draws:

Group stage:

Dortmund
Arsenal
Olympiakos
Galatasaray

Last 16:

Arsenal v Bayern.

Chelsea v PSG.

Kano
14-12-2015, 11:27 PM
This game worries me... I am worried players like Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey will play like wild beasts and get themselves injured for our actual goal- the PL. There is NO way we will win this tie, unless we can pull Lasagnagate Pt 2 and Pt 3 during the home and away legs.

What do you mean our goal? We have no chance you said. It's Liverpool's title to lose after all.

IBK
15-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Not unhappy with this. I don't think we'll go through, but to win the CL we would have had to play Barca or Bayern at some stage, so if we do achieve the impossible that's one of them dealt with. more likely we'll go out and be able to concentrate on the EPL.Perhaps not a bad thing.

Niall_Quinn
15-12-2015, 12:56 AM
I reckon we've more chance against this lot than Zenit or Wolfsburg. We'll be up for this whereas we'd be complacent against a smaller club. Seen it all before. We could beat them at home but we all know what we're up against away, and it's not just football. A 2-0 home win and we have a prayer, anything less and we have zero hope. Barca may have some great players but what a cunt of a club. If we could somehow knock them out that would be enough for me this season. If course we have to have a team to put on the pitch, if the injuries keep piling up we'll be in for a hiding.

fakeyank
15-12-2015, 02:04 AM
What do you mean our goal? We have no chance you said. It's Liverpool's title to lose after all.

Well liverpool are doing all they can to lose it, so we stand a chance... a small one of course.

tpyo
15-12-2015, 03:49 AM
I don't see why some people think this is an auto-loss. I'd say we stand a decent chance of winning the tie. Granted they're a very good team but so are we. Sure we're not the best of the best of the best but any ascendancy requires a climb at first, otherwise Preston North End would still be top of the English league. I mean even if our chances of winning are only 10% they're still ten percent. I swear I caught someone here saying we have _no_ chance. That seems silly.
If we want to take that pessimistic attitude we can still, even then hope for injuries to Barca's squad, some sort of morale disaster occurring or even a referee fluking it in favour of us. Also we have the January transfer window to bolster our options which means we might get that striker we've all been hoping for.

The tie is late Feb/early March so there is plenty of time for things to change between then and now and give us a better picture of how we might do. Personally I'm relishing the tie, this is what being the fan of a major club is all about. This is the stage we get to play on.
To put it another way I'm pretty sure more of our squad are hungrier for this cup than many of Barca's squad and maybe that could make a difference on the nights.

fakeyank
15-12-2015, 04:01 AM
I don't see why some people think this is an auto-loss. I'd say we stand a decent chance of winning the tie. Granted they're a very good team but so are we. Sure we're not the best of the best of the best but any ascendancy requires a climb at first, otherwise Preston North End would still be top of the English league. I mean even if our chances of winning are only 10% they're still ten percent. I swear I caught someone here saying we have _no_ chance. That seems silly.
If we want to take that pessimistic attitude we can still, even then hope for injuries to Barca's squad, some sort of morale disaster occurring or even a referee fluking it in favour of us. Also we have the January transfer window to bolster our options which means we might get that striker we've all been hoping for.

The tie is late Feb/early March so there is plenty of time for things to change between then and now and give us a better picture of how we might do. Personally I'm relishing the tie, this is what being the fan of a major club is all about. This is the stage we get to play on.
To put it another way I'm pretty sure more of our squad are hungrier for this cup than many of Barca's squad and maybe that could make a difference on the nights.

Pass that dutch bruh..

tpyo
15-12-2015, 04:29 AM
How can you be a football fan without hope? Strikes me that if you think Arsenal not winning as accepted fact you should maybe take a break from supporting them. I'm sorry if that sounds rude but it just doesn't sound like a productive or healthy mindset.

I remember some game in the 90's it was the old Europa Cup I think, it was possibly the semi-finals or something and we were away against Inter Milan there was like less than ten minutes on the clock and we were two goals down. We were watching the game round my grandma's house and my Dad said: "ah, that's it, no good, lets go" and I spent the entire walk back home (albeit only 10 minutes) remonstrating with him over the possibility of an Arsenal win with him continually dismissing the possibility. I worked as a paper boy so the next morning woke up to the back pages that showed that Arsenal won on penalties and I think Seaman's face was in all the photos (I think he probably saved the final penalty or smth).
So its not the dutch speaking, its a memorable experience as a child I had in supporting Arsenal. So because of that I never give up, I never surrender hope and I never stop dreaming. I thought that was the the point, isn't it?

fakeyank
15-12-2015, 07:35 AM
You have an exam on 12 chapters of your class.. you studied only 3 chapters. Do you expect to pass the exam? Yes, there is a small chance that the question paper will have 90% of the questions coming from the 3 chapters and you will end up passing, but what are the chances of something like that happening?

That is the problem with us as well. We do not hold a candlelight to the Barcelona team- not with our players, our manager, our mentality and most importantly our tactics. Tactics is most important because that can win you ties like this. With our manager, you know what he is going to do... we may sneak a win at home but to think we will win this tie is borderline delusional.

It's like a Bournemouth fan saying at the beginning of the season that they'll win the title.. Sure, I have hope that by some miracle we may win the tie but I know that is a pipeline dream. Realistically, we have very little going for us. If you think being realistic is not the definition of being a fan, then I have not read that dictionary. Frankly, I think fans with rose tinted glasses are one of our biggest problem. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Özim
15-12-2015, 08:24 AM
How can you be a football fan without hope? Strikes me that if you think Arsenal not winning as accepted fact you should maybe take a break from supporting them. I'm sorry if that sounds rude but it just doesn't sound like a productive or healthy mindset.

I remember some game in the 90's it was the old Europa Cup I think, it was possibly the semi-finals or something and we were away against Inter Milan there was like less than ten minutes on the clock and we were two goals down. We were watching the game round my grandma's house and my Dad said: "ah, that's it, no good, lets go" and I spent the entire walk back home (albeit only 10 minutes) remonstrating with him over the possibility of an Arsenal win with him continually dismissing the possibility. I worked as a paper boy so the next morning woke up to the back pages that showed that Arsenal won on penalties and I think Seaman's face was in all the photos (I think he probably saved the final penalty or smth).
So its not the dutch speaking, its a memorable experience as a child I had in supporting Arsenal. So because of that I never give up, I never surrender hope and I never stop dreaming. I thought that was the the point, isn't it?

How? Let me explain, it's called Arsene Wenger.

He leaves us fans with no hope because we know what will happen having seen it so many times, it's the same pattern and that's his biggest failing, stealing the hope from the ordinary fan, no longer are games unpredictable and that takes all of the enjoyment away.

Yes in the 90's we upset the odds, but we had a different manager and different mindset and players who had belief and a massive desire to win. That's all gone and all we're left with is tippy tappy nonsense and hollow words about how we're ready to dominate the football world.

Frankly I don't really understand how fans having seen years of same stuff still believe, I can only put it down to some people being in total denial about what's been happening in the last 10 years.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Not exactly. It's like Bournemouth looking at the calendar, seeing back to back games against Chelsea and Utd and thinking anything is possible. :lol:

Fans with rose tinted glasses are annoying but it's the same on the other end of the spectrum.

Kano
15-12-2015, 08:55 AM
How? Let me explain, it's called Arsene Wenger.

He leaves us fans with no hope because we know what will happen having seen it so many times, it's the same pattern and that's his biggest failing, stealing the hope from the ordinary fan, no longer are games unpredictable and that takes all of the enjoyment away.

Yes in the 90's we upset the odds, but we had a different manager and different mindset and players who had belief and a massive desire to win. That's all gone and all we're left with is tippy tappy nonsense and hollow words about how we're ready to dominate the football world.

Frankly I don't really understand how fans having seen years of same stuff still believe, I can only put it down to some people being in total denial about what's been happening in the last 10 years.

No Zim, he’s not left you with no hope - you as a person make your own decision to 'support' that way, no one else. Wenger has big faults, a lot I agree with you on, but it’s a miserable existence if you can’t look forward to watching the team you support on the weekend. Time to give up once you reach that point. A football manager doesn’t make you give up hope, only you do. Which is fair enough but at least be big enough to admit that. You’re as downbeat as you allow yourself to be.

Özim
15-12-2015, 09:07 AM
No Zim, he’s not left you with no hope - you as a person make your own decision to 'support' that way, no one else. Wenger has big faults, a lot I agree with you on, but it’s a miserable existence if you can’t look forward to watching the team you support on the weekend. Time to give up once you reach that point. A football manager doesn’t make you give up hope, only you do. Which is fair enough but at least be big enough to admit that. You’re as downbeat as you allow yourself to be.

Well no because I just don't believe in his teams and the reason for this is the last decade of his management which really has taken any fun out of football, seeing the same disappointments over and over and over again, the same football, the same faults, the same problems...it's neverending.

Unpredictabiity is a big factor in football and when everything is predictable almost to the point it appears scripted it gets boring fast and that's what I feel we're like, hence the reason we know there's zero chance of an upset against Barcelona.

Letters
15-12-2015, 09:19 AM
I wish we had a proper manager like Mourinho. :(

Özim
15-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I wish we had a proper manager like Mourinho. :(

Sums up the unpredictability of football I guess, same happened to Klopp, doesn't make them bad managers.

Letters
15-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Sums up the unpredictability of football I guess, same happened to Klopp, doesn't make them bad managers.

Strangely, if it happened to us I think you might be taking a different view...

Özim
15-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Strangely, if it happened to us I think you might be taking a different view...

If we'd be winning for the last 10 years then no, because at the end of they day you can expect the odd season where it goes wrong if you're largely succesful (they'll recover anyway just like Dortmund did).

I'd prefer 1 bad season in 1 if it meant we were genuine contenders for the major honours the rest of the time.

Letters
15-12-2015, 11:14 AM
I think that's a pretty fair point :lol:

It's just lovely to see Mourinho getting his come-uppance though. He's never been at any club for very long, he's such a narcissistic prick that it seems no-one can stand working for him for long, hence the disaster that is this season so far. Long may it continue. :d

Bumble
15-12-2015, 11:19 AM
I think that's a pretty fair point :lol:

It's just lovely to see Mourinho getting his come-uppance though. He's never been at any club for very long, he's such a narcissistic prick that it seems no-one can stand working for him for long, hence the disaster that is this season so far. Long may it continue. :d
one point above the bottom 3, he doesn't seem to be able to turn round crises. also I do wonder if the reason the chavs did well was because of EBJT. they had a leader on the pitch and despite being a rascist disgusting human - was a pretty good defender. now he is shite, Chelsea are shite... also think hazard has been tapped up and will probably move in the summer. Chelsea have been pretty bad for nearly a year now as they weren't convincing end of last season either, they got off to a tremendous start when costa looked like a top striker.

it is so frustrating that we still lost to them though. we are certainly in the minority!!!

Marc Overmars
15-12-2015, 12:47 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/15/barcelona-stars-cheered-after-drawing-arsenal-in-the-last-16-of-the-champions-league-report-5566738/

Cunts!

Bumble
15-12-2015, 12:50 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/15/barcelona-stars-cheered-after-drawing-arsenal-in-the-last-16-of-the-champions-league-report-5566738/

Cunts!

why? it is one of the draws they probably did want. Easy, good location, not too far to travel. pitch will be excellent to play on and they know they wont get kicked around for 90 minutes. plus they have a good record against us. It would be like us drawing Villa.

GP
15-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Lets just make sure we beat them then.

Özim
15-12-2015, 01:03 PM
To other big teams we're probably a draw they want, looking at our record and how good we are in the CL why wouldn't they. We should be a a team other big clubs don't want to play, but it says a lot about our status in the eyes of others that we're not.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 01:04 PM
I really hope we beat the shit out of them. Arrogant fuckers.

Özim
15-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Cunts!

That poll at the bottom says 51% of people think we will win it, says a lot about our fanbase that they still believe and shows why nothing will ever change and why there's no chance of Wenger leaving for some time.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-12-2015, 01:33 PM

Cunts!

The original source is El Mundo and there aren't any quotes, so as much I do think that Barca are a pack of reprehensible cunts, it's probably all bollocks designed to get clicks.

Though if it's true, they're idiots; us and PSG were the hardest teams in that group (Juve have been a shadow this season).

And lol Zim. You're absoutely mad or just too much of anti Arsenal/Wenger hack if you seriously believe that the big teams preferred us when there were teams like Gent, Kiev, PSV and Benfica around.

Letters
15-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Yeah, nothing has changed, we haven't won a trophy* for 10 years :blah:

* - may require some goalpost shifting.

Özim
15-12-2015, 01:44 PM
The original source is El Mundo and there aren't any quotes, so as much I do think that Barca are a pack of reprehensible cunts, it's probably all bollocks designed to get clicks.

Though if it's true, they're idiots; us and PSG were the hardest teams in that group (Juve have been a shadow this season).

And lol Zim. You're absoutely mad or just too much of anti Arsenal/Wenger hack if you seriously believe that the big teams preferred us when there were teams like Gent, Kiev, PSV and Benfica around.

Juve got to the CL final last season so I'd say they'd be less desirable to play than us.

I'm not mad, we're a soft touch and you can almost guarantee qualification if you play us, after years of the same you would have to be somewhat delusional to think otherwise. We're easy to play against and in reality lack a competitive edge and things get tough we never come up with the answers in the CL.

Juve and PSG were the toughest some of the other teams are somewhat less predictable (Benfica, Wolfsburg and Zenit) and that's the point.

I don't doubt we have more talent than some of those teams, what we lack is a winner's mentality and competitive edge. Sure they would be happy with those other teams too, but if I was a manager Juve, PSG and Benfica would be the 3 teams I'd look to avoid as they are the most dangerous opposition IMO.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 01:48 PM
That poll at the bottom says 51% of people think we will win it, says a lot about our fanbase that they still believe and shows why nothing will ever change and why there's no chance of Wenger leaving for some time.

That doesn't make sense. I believe we have a shot at winning but also want Wenger gone.

Özim
15-12-2015, 01:51 PM
That doesn't make sense. I believe we have a shot at winning but also want Wenger gone.

A shot at beating Barcelona?

I'm surprised to be honest, considering our record in this competition and how we go about our business I don't see how we have any hope of beating what is arguably the best team and a team that has 3 top top forwards.

We neither have the firepower to beat them nor the ability to keep their forwards out, they'll win this tie without too many problems IMO at best we'll sneak a luckyish narrow win in the 1st leg IMO.

Letters
15-12-2015, 01:54 PM

Really?

That is a pretty strange combination.

I think Wenger should go if we don't seriously challenge for the title this year but having just won the FA Cup and so far this season being 2nd and having qualified for the last 16 of the CL, it would be a strange time to sack the manager.

Niall_Quinn
15-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Lets just make sure we beat them then.

Yes we absolutely MUST beat them, and if we can win the football match too that would be a lovely bonus. Hate these wankers.

Kano
15-12-2015, 02:05 PM

I'm surprised to be honest, considering our record in this competition and how we go about our business I don't see how we have any hope of beating what is arguably the best team and a team that has 3 top top forwards.

We neither have the firepower to beat them nor the ability to keep their forwards out, they'll win this tie without too many problems IMO at best we'll sneak a luckyish narrow win in the 1st leg IMO.

Fuck me you're miserable. I know, I know, it's someone else's fault.

Özim
15-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Fuck me you're miserable. I know, I know, it's someone else's fault.

It's called being realistic, I'm not miserable at all tbh, if we lose we lose, it's no less than I expect, we've got zero chance of winning the CL ever under Wenger so IMO it's a waste of time anyway.

Letters
15-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm not miserable at all tbh.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 02:42 PM

The last time we played Barcelona everyone saying the same thing. We had no chance. But we beat them at home and if we played better on their ground, we could have gone through on goal difference. It wasn’t a complete hammering as everyone expected. We’re a shambles of a team sometimes but we’ve raised our game in this competition where we’ve surprised people. That AC Milan tie is another example where we were close to beating them on goal difference at the San Siro. We had Bayern shaking as well on their journey to winning the cup beating them on their own soil.

We have serious problems as a club and having to win over to legs is difficult but not impossible because we’ve come close before with a weaker squad. I don’t think we’ll win the cup but I think the players will want to show for at least one game.

Letters
15-12-2015, 02:46 PM
We've just retained the FA Cup. We're currently 2nd in the table and in the last 16 of the CL.
Do we have serious problems?

Problems, maybe, but all clubs have those. I don't think ours are that serious, relatively speaking.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Really?

I think Wenger should go if we don't seriously challenge for the title this year but having just won the FA Cup and so far this season being 2nd and having qualified for the last 16 of the CL, it would be a strange time to sack the manager.

Not really. I think the players will g themselves up and prepare themselves mentally for this game because they won’t want to be embarrassed. It’s happened before. Believing we can win against some of the best is different to believing he can win us the league and CL. Also, I’m not the only one that would rather see him leave on a high. If we happen to win the league this year, I can’t see him defending the title successfully or keeping the team together.

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 02:53 PM
We've just retained the FA Cup. We're currently 2nd in the table and in the last 16 of the CL.

Problems, maybe, but all clubs have those. I don't think ours are that serious, relatively speaking.

Shut up, Letters.

Letters
15-12-2015, 02:56 PM
Shut up, Letters.

Well debated :good:

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Well debated :good:

I'm not repeating the same tired debate with you. Just read an old post if you want answer to that. There are numerous.

fakeyank
15-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Really?

I am with PnG on this one. To me it boils down to a simple question "Will Wenger make us an European power or a dominant English team?" The answer to that is no, and I think a club with Arsenal's resources should be answering that yes.

Letters
15-12-2015, 04:06 PM
With all the money sloshing around it's quite hard to see how anyone will be a dominant English team. I expect us to be in the title mix most seasons, I think Wenger can deliver that.
As for a European power, City and Chelsea haven't managed that with all their squillions, I'm not sure how realistic an expectation that is. But I do agree Wenger's record in the CL smells a bit. It's impressive to qualify from the group stage a million years in a row, but disappointing how seldom we've got further than that.

Özim
15-12-2015, 05:31 PM
The last time we played Barcelona everyone saying the same thing. We had no chance. But we beat them at home and if we played better on their ground, we could have gone through on goal difference. It wasn’t a complete hammering as everyone expected. We’re a shambles of a team sometimes but we’ve raised our game in this competition where we’ve surprised people. That AC Milan tie is another example where we were close to beating them on goal difference at the San Siro. We had Bayern shaking as well on their journey to winning the cup beating them on their own soil.

We have serious problems as a club and having to win over to legs is difficult but not impossible because we’ve come close before with a weaker squad. I don’t think we’ll win the cup but I think the players will want to show for at least one game.

This Barcelona side is possibly superior especially offensively IMO, it's less one dimensional with the forwards they have and less reliant on Messi, let's not forget the time before last when they did hammer us, the fact they didn't last time was more due to luck than skill, Barcelona played us off the park in large parts and just didn't convert, but with the forwards they have now I can't see it happening.

People are deluded if they think we have a chance, this Barcelona team are far more potent in attack due to Suarez and Neymar now being part of the setup.

fakeyank
15-12-2015, 05:40 PM
With all the money sloshing around it's quite hard to see how anyone will be a dominant English team. I expect us to be in the title mix most seasons, I think Wenger can deliver that.
As for a European power, City and Chelsea haven't managed that with all their squillions, I'm not sure how realistic an expectation that is. But I do agree Wenger's record in the CL smells a bit. It's impressive to qualify from the group stage a million years in a row, but disappointing how seldom we've got further than that.

Unfortunately, I do not see us being in the title mix every season with Wenger in charge.

Bumble
15-12-2015, 05:42 PM

I do agree in part, I don't see why with our resources it should make us a power house of European football, even English football is getting harder. The billionaire clubs don't need the owners money anymore to spend big. The English league is a lot more competitive and I think that is why we are performing worse in Europe as you cant coast (perhaps Villa aside) through games anymore. Its hard to rotate players when you have to play to your best to get the points. Bayern, Barca, Real can coast through games. It isn't as physical and there resources far outstrip anyone else in those respective leagues.

Personally I don't care if we dominate or not, unless we are full of superstar players like Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc then I actually prefer competitive football.... as long as we still win. although there were times when we had those players that we had to have a player sent off to make the game a bit more even.

Kano
15-12-2015, 06:12 PM
This Barcelona side is possibly superior especially offensively IMO, it's less one dimensional with the forwards they have and less reliant on Messi, let's not forget the time before last when they did hammer us, the fact they didn't last time was more due to luck than skill, Barcelona played us off the park in large parts and just didn't convert, but with the forwards they have now I can't see it happening.

People are deluded if they think we have a chance, this Barcelona team are far more potent in attack due to Suarez and Neymar now being part of the setup.

So play behind closed doors and don't bother watching on TV is what you're saying?

Power n Glory
15-12-2015, 06:23 PM
So what happened to not being able to compete with the oil baron clubs? Goal posts are being shifted in a major way. What money have Leicester spent to be top of the table? Yes, the Prem is flushed with money but you guys can't look at the table midway through the season and assume you're seeing a regular pattern or an emerging pattern.

City, Chelsea and Man City have some serious spoilt primma donna's on their team that won't do the very basics. The league is competitive and I'm impressed with the way lower teams are playing but our rivals are playing below par. Let's not get carried away. If they were playing out of their skin and still losing then there would be a much stronger argument. But what we're seeing from the top teams is disgraceful and I'd say we're seeing more of a pattern of players sulking on the pitch to get their way. City and Chelsea have gone through so many managers they've created a rotten foundation for themselves because they have mercenaries throughout their ranks. This is what happens when you don't invest in youth and have players that came through the ranks. When you pay over the odds for toe rags too early and know when the going gets tough they can check out with a hefty cheque anytime they want. Look at Di Maria and David Luis. Football is going down the shitter.

Özim
15-12-2015, 06:29 PM
So play behind closed doors and don't bother watching on TV is what you're saying?

No, just watch it to see great players that you don't usually see playing against us, all with the knowledge that we'll lose, take it for what it is entertainment.

Kano
15-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Find entertainment in us losing? That's just a weird thing to do as a fan.

IBK
15-12-2015, 07:37 PM

They're not that serious because all our EPL challengers are in the same boat. Not because we have obviously progressed.

IBK
15-12-2015, 07:39 PM
So what happened to not being able to compete with the oil baron clubs? Goal posts are being shifted in a major way. What money have Leicester spent to be top of the table? Yes, the Prem is flushed with money but you guys can't look at the table midway through the season and assume you're seeing a regular pattern or an emerging pattern.

City, Chelsea and Man City have some serious spoilt primma donna's on their team that won't do the very basics. The league is competitive and I'm impressed with the way lower teams are playing but our rivals are playing below par. Let's not get carried away. If they were playing out of their skin and still losing then there would be a much stronger argument. But what we're seeing from the top teams is disgraceful and I'd say we're seeing more of a pattern of players sulking on the pitch to get their way. City and Chelsea have gone through so many managers they've created a rotten foundation for themselves because they have mercenaries throughout their ranks. This is what happens when you don't invest in youth and have players that came through the ranks. When you pay over the odds for toe rags too early and know when the going gets tough they can check out with a hefty cheque anytime they want. Look at Di Maria and David Luis. Football is going down the shitter.

Replace 'disgraceful' with 'bizzare' and I'm with you...

Özim
15-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Find entertainment in us losing? That's just a weird thing to do as a fan.

I'm just realistic and realise we're going to lose, stops me being disappointed when we invariably do, so I can then just watch the game and enjoy the quality of the players on show.

Heisenberg
15-12-2015, 11:12 PM
Maybe I'm just thin-skinned but I don't find getting rolled by a quality side especially enjoyable. Against giants or minnows, defeat for your side is a bitter pill to swallow. I can be less disappointed with a defeat if I anticipate it, but I could never enjoy it.

Xhaka Can’t
15-12-2015, 11:32 PM
I don't think we'll beat Barca, but what the hell, we've bought the lottery ticket so there is always hope.

tpyo
16-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Well whatever, look Leicester are top of the prem right now and if I'd have called that at the beginning of the season people would have called me mad. So in that same vein I feel like we have a half-decent chance of a win against Barca. Its not anywhere near "odds-on" but if we work hard we can get a result.
I don't care what people think of Wenger, he's our manager and I treat management like playing staff and back them.

Kano
16-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Well whatever, look Leicester are top of the prem right now and if I'd have called that at the beginning of the season people would have called me mad. So in that same vein I feel like we have a half-decent chance of a win against Barca. Its not anywhere near "odds-on" but if we work hard we can get a result.
I don't care what people think of Wenger, he's our manager and I treat management like playing staff and back them.
Course we do. This whole 'realistic' point of view isn't the preserve of a football fan. If that was the case there would be fans of around 70/80 clubs in England and hundreds more around the world who may as well just hang up their scarves. To dismiss any sign of hope completely misses the point of what sport, or any other type of escape serves in our lives. So what if we're let down, you just get back up for the next one, especially against a bunch of rotten cunts like Barcelona, the type of club that embody the worst in the game. Unfortunately if we want to compete that is where Arsenal will have to eventually sink down to but let's fuck them over if we can for now. Delusion at least reminds us we're alive for 90 minutes.

Letters
16-12-2015, 09:36 AM
So what happened to not being able to compete with the oil baron clubs? Goal posts are being shifted in a major way.
Well yes, but the goalposts have shifted. 10 years ago we had the double whammy of the stadium move restricting our spending and Chelsea and City spunking money like it was going out of fashion.
In that era it was hard for us to compete with them. Now our circumstances have changed. We've paid off a lot of the stadium debt, we have new sponsorship deals in place and maybe FFP will have some effect. And the new TV deals mean there's more money across the board, the billionaires money will be less effective and buying up every trophy now the new financial deals have somewhat levelled the playing field.

I don't think anyone could have predicted what Leicester are doing. But they are a rare exception to the general trend that money and success in football are highly correlated.

Football is going down the shitter.

Has been for years :(

selassie
16-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Sadly I agree, I think we have a 1% chance of progressing and I'm not being negative or defeatist.

I've seen enough of Barca this season to form the above opinion, they have gone up a level from last season and I thought they were superb last season.

Offensively they are soo strong it's not even funny, I watched them in the El Clasico systematically take apart Real (without Messi) and Real are a tier above us. I know Football doesn't always work that way but one thing I'll say about this Barca team is they consistently deliver in the big games, they have done for a couple of seasons now.

Of course we have the ability to surprise them, but over 2 legs?....don't think so.

Bumble
16-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Well yes, but the goalposts have shifted. 10 years ago we had the double whammy of the stadium move restricting our spending and Chelsea and City spunking money like it was going out of fashion.
In that era it was hard for us to compete with them. Now our circumstances have changed. We've paid off a lot of the stadium debt, we have new sponsorship deals in place and maybe FFP will have some effect. And the new TV deals mean there's more money across the board, the billionaires money will be less effective and buying up every trophy now the new financial deals have somewhat levelled the playing field.

I don't think anyone could have predicted what Leicester are doing. But they are a rare exception to the general trend that money and success in football are highly correlated.

I thought City have only really been spending the money in the last 5 years so 10 years ago it was only Chelsea. Also 10 years ago we were the top team, everyone was playing catch up with us. FFP wont have any affect with the new TV deals meaning City and Chelsea will make a profit, in fact that is probably what is going to make the league even more competitive as the TV money far outweighs the size of stadium etc benefits.

Without a large influx of cash there is no way Chelsea or City would have won the league. But despite there spending United still won the league without having to match that spend.

I do think the fact the league is more competitive actually helps us as all teams (except Villa) can take points of all other teams. We are capable of dropping points against anyone regardless but not with other teams doing it... means no one team can run away with the league.

I do think we have a great chance this season and it would be disappointing if it doesn't go down to the wire this season with or even without any new signings.

Globalgunner
16-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I thought City have only really been spending the money in the last 5 years so 10 years ago it was only Chelsea. Also 10 years ago we were the top team, everyone was playing catch up with us. FFP wont have any affect with the new TV deals meaning City and Chelsea will make a profit, in fact that is probably what is going to make the league even more competitive as the TV money far outweighs the size of stadium etc benefits.

Without a large influx of cash there is no way Chelsea or City would have won the league. But despite there spending United still won the league without having to match that spend.

I do think the fact the league is more competitive actually helps us as all teams (except Villa) can take points of all other teams. We are capable of dropping points against anyone regardless but not with other teams doing it... means no one team can run away with the league.

I do think we have a great chance this season and it would be disappointing if it doesn't go down to the wire this season with or even without any new signings.

Without new signings, especially in midfield, we have no chance. The experiment with Walcott as CF has not panned out either, so a new striker too is needed. Another half assed winter window is not what is needed, if we are serious about winning the league or giving Barca a real game.

Bumble
16-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Without new signings, especially in midfield, we have no chance. The experiment with Walcott as CF has not panned out either, so a new striker too is needed. Another half assed winter window is not what is needed, if we are serious about winning the league or giving Barca a real game.

Yes new signings would be great but I would be surprised if we make 2, and those 2 being 1st choice players to make a big impact. Even if we don't sign any players I still think we have a good chance in the league. City aren't dominating and they are struggling with injuries too (Aguero, Kompany, Nasri etc). I don't really care if we give barca a game or not - the CL just isn't that important. Its still a cup competition, the league we can do it though.

Letters
16-12-2015, 02:45 PM
IWithout a large influx of cash there is no way Chelsea or City would have won the league. But despite there spending United still won the league without having to match that spend.
Utd were hardly frugal though, they still had significantly more to spend than us.
And they had Fergie of course, who IMO was the GOAT.

Power n Glory
16-12-2015, 03:31 PM

How have the goal posts shifted? Aren't we looking at the same set of contenders for the league each year? The TV money is a factor but do you think anyone besides the usual suspects has a chance of winning the league? A team that's never won it at all and that pattern likely to follow for years to come since the money is rolling in?

We've been looking at a 3/4 horse race for the league title for years now. Before our sponsorship deals and I think the the fact that Chelsea and Utd are doing so badly with City looking beatable have slightly spewed your perspective.

Letters
16-12-2015, 04:54 PM
I'd say the money from the new TV deals has somewhat levelled the playing field. Not completely, and it will take some years for the effects to be seen more but the PL is looking more competitive. Leicester are a bit of an anomaly, I still expect one of the usual suspects to win it but I don't think the gaps between the haves and have nots is as big as it was.

Power n Glory
16-12-2015, 09:53 PM
The teams outside of the top 4 are really stepping up but I also think that is down to the younger, smarter managers in the league and newly promoted teams coming up with an attacking mentality. The hoof and hope stuff is going out the window. I don't think we're seeing the effects of the new TV money just yet. How long ago did the FA start that grass root campaign to try and improve the standard of English football?

But let's say the gap is shrinking in terms of finances. That still doesn't explain our barren years with Wenger. The smaller teams are now giving the bigger clubs a run for their money and getting results. But there is no way those teams have a budget that can compare to what we had before our new sponsorship deals. Not even close. You've always said the the billionaire clubs with the infinite money cheat made it near impossible for us to beat them but now you're saying the league is more competitive even though the majority of teams still have less than what we had before our new sponsors. Does that make sense?

I get the concept that teams taking points off each other makes the league more competitive but I've always said we'd lose a lot of points to teams outside of the top 4. That's always been our downfall. It's not as if losing games to our top 4 rivals always prevented us from winning the league. We'd drop points across the board.