15-12-2015, 07:04 PM
Southampton are selling him mid-season.

We'll get someone but God knows who.

Niall_Quinn
16-12-2015, 02:33 AM
We'll get Wenger until 2020.

Bumble
16-12-2015, 12:15 PM
we are 2nd in the league, in the CL first knockout phase and still in the FA Cup... why would we need to sign anyone. November is over, so we are allowed to win again. Plus with Rosicky, Wilshere, Sanchez, Coquelin, Welbeck, Arteta and Cazorla all coming back in the new year... they are like new signings in themselves. Plus they will be nicely refreshed from lack of match time.

dostoy
16-12-2015, 12:57 PM
We need a defensive midfielder but not Wanyama.

Carvalho, Bender or Kramer, that would do very nicely.

Wenger will say they were all more than two million, therefore too expensive.

Letters
16-12-2015, 03:13 PM
We won't sign anyone.
</thread>

Niall_Quinn
17-12-2015, 09:43 AM
Arsenal are continuing to check on Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Granit Xhaka. Club staff watched him against Manchester City.

Sigh

GRANIT XHAKA has played down speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League, insisting he is happy at Borussia Monchengladbach.

Sigh

Globalgunner
17-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Yes to Kramer, Carvalho or either Bender, or Rabiot
No to Wanyama, an inelegant brute. Soon as he comes to us, refs will start dishing him yellows like Skittles sweets.
No to Granit Xhaka, its a crap name
Yes to Bas Dost, what a brilliant name.

selassie
17-12-2015, 11:12 AM
We need a defensive midfielder but not Wanyama.

Carvalho, Bender or Kramer, that would do very nicely.

Wenger will say they were all more than two million, therefore too expensive.

Yep agree with this.

I also think Wenger will lowball and walk away complaining about the market.

Power n Glory
17-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Yep agree with this.

I also think Wenger will lowball and walk away complaining about the market.

It's happened before.

I think we'll flirt in the market for a DM but also try Chambers in that position. He may even have Wilshere in mind for that role since we have no space for in his natural position.

The Emirates Gallactico
17-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Xhaka is quality. Much better than Carvalho, Wanyama or Kramer and more of the finished article than Rabiot. Would love him here. Bayern were sniffing around earlier so I don't think it'd be easy. We'd have to go in quick and wrap up the deal before anyone decides to get involved.

Btw Lars Bender has been incredibly injury prone. Has missed like a season worth of games the past two years due to various injuries ............. so that probably means he'l be the guy we opt for. :coffee:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lars-bender/verletzungen/spieler/30059

Call it foolish hope but I really do get the feeling that Wenger wants the league and like how he kind of gave up on his principles to sign Arshavin to ensure we got fourth a few years ago, he'll do the same thing again this year.

Bumble
17-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Xhaka is quality. Much better than Carvalho, Wanyama or Kramer and more of the finished article than Rabiot. Would love him here. Bayern were sniffing around earlier so I don't think it'd be easy. We'd have to go in quick and wrap up the deal before anyone decides to get involved.

Btw Lars Bender has been incredibly injury prone. Has missed like a season worth of games the past two years due to various injuries ............. so that probably means he'l be the guy we opt for. :coffee:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lars-bender/verletzungen/spieler/30059

Call it foolish hope but I really do get the feeling that Wenger wants the league and like how he kind of gave up on his principles to sign Arshavin to ensure we got fourth a few years ago, he'll do the same thing again this year.
Doesn't Wenger really want to the league every year though and if he doesn't then should be sacked. This Lars Bender sounds perfect though, injury prone enough as to not impede Coquelins development plus also a signing to appease people. Now if he was worth £2m or less then that would seal the deal.

Özim
17-12-2015, 04:13 PM

It's foolish, he doesn't have it in him, he'll do the same as he always does and sign noone of note then we'll collapse like we always do and still he won't learn.

Not falling into the trap of believing he's going to pull something out of the bag, he really never does, he only leaves you disappointed, if you like to see your club sign players when you need them, then Arsenal are not the club for you thanks to Wenger.

Letters
17-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Yeah. We haven't won a trophy for months :(

But hey, you were right about how bad our start was so I'm sure you're right this time too.

Penguin
19-12-2015, 06:31 PM
The problem with Wenger is that he relies too much on injured players coming back and being 'like new signings'. Right now he's probably thinking that we'll have Alexis, Wilshere, Coq, Santi and maybe even Welbeck back in the squad by the end of January, and that he'll have too many players to choose from even if we don't sign anyone new.

The reality is that most of them will have setbacks and loads of other players will join them on the injured list. It happens every year.

GP
19-12-2015, 06:50 PM
People throw around the 'like new signings' quote like he says it every week.

He said it once, when Rosicky had been out for 2 years.

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Which makes it one of his unstated policies. He's track record of relying on long term crocks in unparalleled and unblemished.

fakeyank
19-12-2015, 11:05 PM
What do you guys think about throwing in a cheeky bid for Cesc? The Chavs hate him and with our midfield options very limited, he could be a long term solution to Santi.

Niall_Quinn
19-12-2015, 11:20 PM
What do you guys think about throwing in a cheeky bid for Cesc? The Chavs hate him and with our midfield options very limited, he could be a long term solution to Santi.

He made the choice to become a chav, there's no coming back from that. I never liked Gallas either.

Kano
19-12-2015, 11:38 PM

You mean the player that failed miserably back at his DNA home and after a few assists has done fuck all since January this year and has managed to become one of the most hated players at a club full of the worst type of cunts imaginable? Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Santi is ten times the player that little prick will ever be.

GP
19-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Cesc can go fuck himself.

He's burned out. Wenger knows that as well.

Static
19-12-2015, 11:41 PM
He made the choice to become a chav, there's no coming back from that. I never liked Gallas either.

What do you think of Cech?

Niall_Quinn
20-12-2015, 12:38 AM
What do you think of Cech?

Great keeper.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 08:31 AM
People throw around the 'like new signings' quote like he says it every week.

He said it once, when Rosicky had been out for 2 years.

He said it about Diaby as well, so the quote stuck.

He even said it last year about Ramsey coming back into the team but it sounded like the journalist baited him into that one and asked if his return would be 'like a new signing.'

Özim
20-12-2015, 09:13 AM
This like all our transfer threads are a waste of time, we won't sign anyone of note, you know it, I know it, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy know it, Wenger will be happy when he gets his crocks back, they'll be "like new signings".

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Danny Welshit is out until February. We might as well rule him out for the season. Wilshere is out for another 6 weeks. Wenger may buy this year. It's just about the quality he'll bring in.

Özim
20-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Both those players are a waste of space anyway we need to get rid, our transfer business is if there is any won't be of interest and won't make an ounce of difference (10 years of transfers can tell you that), in reality players will come back in January or be within 2 weeks of coming back so he won't want to sign anyone, then come February they'll get injured when someone blows on them and we'll be back to square one.

Xhaka Can’t
20-12-2015, 09:37 AM
You mean the player that failed miserably back at his DNA home and after a few assists has done fuck all since January this year and has managed to become one of the most hated players at a club full of the worst type of cunts imaginable? Yeah, sounds like a great idea. Santi is ten times the player that little prick will ever be.
You forgot to state if you were for or against the idea.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

GP
20-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Remember when people suggested we sell Ozil to bring Cesc back?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Niall_Quinn
20-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Welbeck, another player pushing up the wage bill so he can keep the staff in the treatment room busy. Rosicky. Wilshere, Theo with his routine visits, Diaby as the benchmark they all have to measure themselves against. Most clubs have one of these types, but has any club had so many?

The Emirates Gallactico
20-12-2015, 01:37 PM

:doh:

Quite possibly your worst suggestion ever since advocating for replacing Wenger with Owen Coyle.

He's past it. His hamstrings and his enthusiasm for the game have gone. Wenger woz right.

Welbeck, another player pushing up the wage bill so he can keep the staff in the treatment room busy. Rosicky. Wilshere, Theo with his routine visits, Diaby as the benchmark they all have to measure themselves against. Most clubs have one of these types, but has any club had so many?

The whole Welbeck situation is very weird.

He was only meant to be out for a few weeks initially before it spiralled into the ridicolous situation it is now where he probably won't play football for the best part of 16 months if he's lucky, with very vague medical reasons given for his abscense.

Don't want to start some "Rosicky a drug addict" type conspiracy here but it wouldn't suprise me if there's more to it than a simple physical injury.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 01:53 PM
It's just our medical staff. Welshit doesn't strike me as the unprofessional type that would allow off field antics derail his football career.

As for Cesc Fabregas.....I'd have him back. If the little runt is responsible for that mutiny at Chelsea and getting José the sack, he needs a heroes welcome! :lol:

Master Splinter
20-12-2015, 01:58 PM
Fabregas is an absolute scumbag.

More importantly, he's almost as busted as Rooney.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Fabregas is an absolute scumbag.

More importantly, he's almost as busted as Rooney.

Why do you think he's a scumbag?

Master Splinter
20-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Why do you think he's a scumbag?

Because there is overwhelming evidence that proves it.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Because there is overwhelming evidence that proves it.

What evidence?

Master Splinter
20-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Well I think everyone's been over his behaviour on and off the pitch and character, or lack of it, enough times for it not to be worth going over again.

The most important thing is that he's been on a rapid decline for a while now after looking like he would become one of the midfield greats early in his career. And Wenger was certainly right for not even entertaining the thought of bringing him back.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Well I think everyone's been over his behaviour on and off the pitch and character, or lack of it, enough times for it not to be worth going over again.

The most important thing is that he's been on a rapid decline for a while now after looking like he would become one of the midfield greats early in his career. And Wenger was certainly right for not even entertaining the thought of bringing him back.

But I'm asking why you think he's a scumbag. Not anyone else. :lol: I think he's a scumbag too, by the way. :lol: But heck, had a debate on here once about not always having nice characters in the team.

Cesc certainly has stalled his career. He's made some poor choices. But seeing how Ramsey and Wilshere have really stalled, Cazorla being injured, I wouldn't be opposed to a move. Without Ozil we have no creativity and I think Cazorla is on a steady decline.

Heisenberg
20-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Cesc isn't a long term solution because he never gives you a full season. He might be fit for the whole campaign but he goes off the boil about half to two thirds through.

Kano
20-12-2015, 03:05 PM
The guy turned up for a few months when he came back to Chelsea and has got 3 assists since January, in approximately 30 games. Why would we want that sort of shit in our team? Ramsey/Coq is going to be our middle two once he's back.

No point having a cunt in the team who contributes nothing other than being a prick. On that basis we may as well bid for Costa as well then.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 03:20 PM
The guy turned up for a few months when he came back to Chelsea and has got 3 assists since January, in approximately 30 games. Why would we want that sort of shit in our team? Ramsey/Coq is going to be our middle two once he's back.

No point having a cunt in the team who contributes nothing other than being a prick. On that basis we may as well bid for Costa as well then.

I thought a player like Costa would be right up your street considering the conversation we previously had about dirty players. Putting aside his behaviour, I've never thought Costa was a good option for us.

Considering the venomous remarks I've heard from you and few others on Mourinho and his playing style, is it any wonder why he went off the boil? That whole Chelsea team stopped playing for José. I think that's disgraceful for any player but would have thought some of Maureen's biggest critics would understand how this happened. :lol:

3 assists since January is bad. But in one season with Chelsea he had more assists than Wilshere's entire career.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Cesc can get to fuck.

Kano
20-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Hated by Arsenal fans, Barcelona fans and now Chelsea's lot. That's real consistency for you.

Power n Glory
20-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Hated by Arsenal fans, Barcelona fans and now Chelsea's lot. That's real consistency for you.

Yep. More so than your arguments. :lol: Very inconsistent.

Marc Overmars
20-12-2015, 04:07 PM
WUMger for burning Cisc out as a teenager and making sure his peak years were a bust. :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
20-12-2015, 04:27 PM
WUMger for burning Cisc out as a teenager and making sure his peak years were a bust. :bow:

http://soccer.cellc.mobi/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2013/07/Wenger-laughing.jpg

GP
20-12-2015, 04:33 PM
http://soccer.cellc.mobi/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2013/07/Wenger-laughing.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae331/mattlamb1982/WUMger.jpg

fakeyank
20-12-2015, 05:08 PM

Quite possibly your worst suggestion ever since advocating for replacing Wenger with Owen Coyle.

He's past it. His hamstrings and his enthusiasm for the game have gone. Wenger woz right.

The whole Welbeck situation is very weird.

He was only meant to be out for a few weeks initially before it spiralled into the ridicolous situation it is now where he probably won't play football for the best part of 16 months if he's lucky, with very vague medical reasons given for his abscense.

Don't want to start some "Rosicky a drug addict" type conspiracy here but it wouldn't suprise me if there's more to it than a simple physical injury.

I dont think anyone over here seriously wanted Coyle! As for Fabregas, I still think he has 3-4 years of top level football in him. He just needs the right team to do it in... I do find it hard to look past his scumery in wanting to leave us for Barca but I think IF he comes cheap, its not a bad option.

IBK
20-12-2015, 05:28 PM
I dont think anyone over here seriously wanted Coyle! As for Fabregas, I still think he has 3-4 years of top level football in him. He just needs the right team to do it in... I do find it hard to look past his scumery in wanting to leave us for Barca but I think IF he comes cheap, its not a bad option.

Difficult not to see him as a player who is loyal only to himself and his own ego - given the goings on at Chelsea.

milla
20-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Alex Kokorin would be a nice addition to the squad, typical Wumger fake no 9. Kokorin would be cheap with only six months left on his contract, having said that Wumger might want him for free (instead of paying peanuts) :doh:

dostoy
20-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Cesc has no pace and never did have.

I would not want him back.

I agree Welbeck will be out for the rest of the season.

Kokorin is a possibility, but if the cost is 2 million, Wenger would want him for 1 million and so on.

Penguin
20-12-2015, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't take Cesc either. He's a shadow of the player he used to be and I think going to Barca and failing took a lot out of him. Also it's not very good succession planning to buy someone two years younger than Santi as a replacement - if we want to replace him we need to be looking at someone closer to their mid twenties.

milla
20-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Cesc has no pace and never did have.

I would not want him back.

I agree Welbeck will be out for the rest of the season.

Kokorin is a possibility, but if the cost is 2 million, Wenger would want him for 1 million and so on.

Exactly what Wumger did last summer. Considering Kokorin was entering the final year of his contract and made it clear he would not sign the new contract, Moscow offered Kokorin to Aresenal for reportedly 5-6 mil Euro (which was cheap). Wumger then came up with a counter offer, basically Arsenal to take Kokorin on one year loan and get to sign him for free in 2016. Cheap f**k :haha: :doh:

Kano
20-12-2015, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't take Cesc either. He's a shadow of the player he used to be and I think going to Barca and failing took a lot out of him. Also it's not very good succession planning to buy someone two years younger than Santi as a replacement - if we want to replace him we need to be looking at someone closer to their mid twenties.

As Hesienberg said a couple of pages back, he only turns up for half a season, he did it with us, Barca and with Chelsea. That said he is trying to change that pattern this season by going missing for the whole campaign this time. I wonder where he can go to be hated after he runs away from this lot.

Özil's Panoramic View
20-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Little bit cliché, but Cesc has made his bed and should lie in it.

In other words, fuck him!

Xhaka Can’t
20-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Little bit cliché, but Cesc has made his bed and should lie in it.

In other words, fuck him!

This. :good:

fakeyank
21-12-2015, 11:17 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/21/arsenal-to-place-15m-bid-for-southamptons-victor-wanyama-report-5579196/

:pray:

Xhaka Can’t
21-12-2015, 11:26 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/21/arsenal-to-place-15m-bid-for-southamptons-victor-wanyama-report-5579196/

Metro is less reliable than sources that are not reliable at all.

GP
21-12-2015, 11:26 PM
And Wanyama isn't very good.

Kano
21-12-2015, 11:32 PM
We may even want to sign him but Southampton - like they did with Mane at the start of the season and Schneiderlin last season - won't let him go in January as they struggle to regain stability in their team.

Gooner23
22-12-2015, 08:07 AM
With the long term injuries we are in desperate need of re-enforcements. I really hope that Wenger doesn't gamble on the likes of Wilshere and Welbeck coming back to fitness.

A holding mid and forward are essential in January.

Also, is Rosicky alive?

Japan Shaking All Over
22-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Wenger would do the squad a favour by using January to reinforce.....although loans would be his preferred route!

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 08:10 PM
We should have the January signings all lined up to go the minute that transfer window opens. No hanging around until the last day hoping for some cheapskate loan deal. Are we genuinely after the title this season? I hope so. You can count Rosicky, Welbeck and Wishere out and Walcott has at least another injury in him so this window is vital for adding the pieces we'll need to push on with some depth to the squad. The gypos could spark into life at any time, they have a huge squad of internationals, most of the season still to go so let's be prepared this time.

IBK
22-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Personally, I will be surprised if we sign anyone of note. Wenger is too likely to look at the weaknesses of our traditional rivals and see this as justification for doing what he tends to do and regarding what we have as sufficient. Granted - we have brought quality players to the team in recent years, but January is pretty notorious for having a dearth of real talent. If we sign a workmanlike MF or striker - and then factor in the time its likely to take for them to get up to speed with this team - its far easier to see Wenger thinking that Wilshere; Rosicky or Arteta will be just as good a bet.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 10:02 PM
...its far easier to see Wenger thinking that Wilshere; Rosicky or Arteta will be just as good a bet.

That will be a title losing calculation in line with all the failings of the past. High time we drew a consensus that we have the strongest squad best equipped for the duration and to do that we need to correct the mistakes of the summer.

January signings from the past.

Suarez to Liverpool
Vidic to Utd

It can be done. In fact it should already be done or in progress.

selassie
22-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Personally, I will be surprised if we sign anyone of note. Wenger is too likely to look at the weaknesses of our traditional rivals and see this as justification for doing what he tends to do and regarding what we have as sufficient. Granted - we have brought quality players to the team in recent years, but January is pretty notorious for having a dearth of real talent. If we sign a workmanlike MF or striker - and then factor in the time its likely to take for them to get up to speed with this team - its far easier to see Wenger thinking that Wilshere; Rosicky or Arteta will be just as good a bet.

Me too, though if Wenger gambles incorrectly this window and it comes back to bite us then his position will become undefendable from a supporters point of view. In his post match interview yesterday Wenger pretty much admitted that this is our best chance of winning PL in years, he knows how strong a position we are currently in and for me he absolutely has to do everything in his power to make us as strong as possible to challenge for the title, he will not get a better chance than now.

If buying means paying over the odds and making first XI/squad picks more difficult then that's a problem he is going to have to deal with if it means we win the big prizes. IMO Wenger cannot rely on the likes of Wilshere, Rosicky & Arteta, he doesn't even really have a leg to stand on because the latter two have barely played any football over the past 2 seasons.

Dein-machine
23-12-2015, 11:37 AM
with Wenger in charge Ill take whatever we can get in Jan as long as he is able to kick a ball. Just think taking on guys with broken backs who previous few months of football were spent playing beach football is Dubai is not a great idea - especially as he was a midfielder when we needed a striker - only Wenger could do this & not be answerable to the absolute joke that it was.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-12-2015, 05:41 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12069910/Arsenal-transfer-news-Gunners-close-to-agreeing-deal-with-Basle-for-Mohamed-Elneny.html

Who?

Maestro
26-12-2015, 05:50 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/12069910/Arsenal-transfer-news-Gunners-close-to-agreeing-deal-with-Basle-for-Mohamed-Elneny.html

Who?

It's doing the rounds in a few rags that one, no idea who he is .....rest assured he'll be cheap

Maestro
26-12-2015, 05:50 PM
.....hopefully good though

hobson's choice
26-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I just want a Central Midfielder, a real one, someone who actually has the skill and knows how to play the position properly.

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 01:14 AM
Seems we're signing a complete nobody who "has potential". Whether he has a broken back or not, I don't know.

hobson's choice
27-12-2015, 01:31 AM
With the long term injuries we are in desperate need of re-enforcements. I really hope that Wenger doesn't gamble on the likes of Wilshere and Welbeck coming back to fitness.

A holding mid and forward are essential in January.

Also, is Rosicky alive?

No a real central midfield is essential, we need to stop pretending that Ramsey is anything more than just average CM with a good engine.

fakeyank
27-12-2015, 01:42 AM
Can we get a new manager this transfer window?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Absolutely disgusted by that performance, no passion, no appetite the players just didn't seem to care....Southampton weren't even that good we just didn't turn up.

Wenger should have apologised to the fans for that lethargic display but he made a load of half hearted criticisms of the referee (who actually gave us the benefit of the doubt more than we deserved at times). And more importantly he didn't seem to care that we had blown the chance to go top, it was like "what are you going to do".

Power n Glory
27-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Absolutely disgusted by that performance, no passion, no appetite the players just didn't seem to care....Southampton weren't even that good we just didn't turn up.

Wenger should have apologised to the fans for that lethargic display but he made a load of half hearted criticisms of the referee (who actually gave us the benefit of the doubt more than we deserved at times). And more importantly he didn't seem to care that we had blown the chance to go top, it was like "what are you going to do".

It's a conundrum. I can't explain that sort of performance and we see it so often. Do you think we'd have won if we had a 3 o'clock kick off and didn't know Leicester City had lost and Man City won? I don't think it's a case of the players not caring even though the performance says otherwise. We've heard it all from the players and coach saying they are ready, contenders, they want silverware....:blah:

I wouldn't say they are unaware of the stakes. I think this is a serious case of performance anxiety. This is limp dick territory! Stage fright! What makes this even more nuts is the fact that every Wenger team seems to have this problem. Even our very best teams under Wenger would suffer from stage fright in Europe. I really don't understand how this can always happen despite so many changes in personnel on the pitch. I always thought it was a youth thing in the early Emirate days but that's just not the case anymore. We have experienced internationals, world cup winners...? They really need to do a study on Wenger's leadership style. Is it possible for a coaches anxiety to always transfer to the players?

Marc Overmars
27-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Wanyama looked good. :coffee:

milla
27-12-2015, 09:57 AM
I am hoping Wumger would sign another wide forward or wide no 10. Without Alexis and Cazorla, we don't have a ball carrier high up the pitch. Feo, Oxlade and Joel are pretty useless at this. Bring back those days of Cisc, Hleb and Rozza where we created 20 chances per game. Hazzah, Greizmann or Deulofeu would be nice. :coffee:

Munchies
27-12-2015, 11:23 AM
Lol Wenger signing some poverty Egyptian CDM :haha:

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Apparently he's like a young Flamini, raw but lots of potential and he'll be happy on the bench when we bring in our big summer signings Welbeck and Wilshere.

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Wanyama looked good. :coffee:

Wenger would rather complain about him roughing up our midfield rather than admit that's the league we play in. No chance, not a Wenger player these days. If Southampton had a five foot nought lightweight version who gets injured all the time, then maybe.

selassie
27-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Its how Wenger rolls, he either spends big on discarded stars or buys cheap under the radar signings like el neny & gabriel. Wenger never spends big on hot prospects, its why players like John Stones, Mahrez & Ruben Neves will be going elsewhere in the summer.

Globalgunner
28-12-2015, 06:12 AM
He signs these nobodys because he doesnt want to be seen as doing the obvious buying the playere that everyone everywhere suggests he does. He would rather stoke the Wenger reputation for having a keen eye by buying some nobody. If it turns out great he talks him up as proof he is still a genius, when it turns to crap, he pretends it never happened. Where is Sanogo nowadays, Bielik?. This may be the sum total of this winters spending. Wenger wouldnt buy Messi even if he paraded around the Emirates wearing a sandwich board saying "come and get me".

selassie
28-12-2015, 02:13 PM
He signs these nobodys because he doesnt want to be seen as doing the obvious buying the playere that everyone everywhere suggests he does. He would rather stoke the Wenger reputation for having a keen eye by buying some nobody. If it turns out great he talks him up as proof he is still a genius, when it turns to crap, he pretends it never happened. Where is Sanogo nowadays, Bielik?. This may be the sum total of this winters spending. Wenger wouldnt buy Messi even if he paraded around the Emirates wearing a sandwich board saying "come and get me".

Yep, totally agree.

fakeyank
29-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Watching Kante at Leicester and he seems very good. He looks like a great athlete and I wouldnt think he'd be very expensive either. Definitely think he is better than Elneny or whoever we are looking to sign.

GP
29-12-2015, 08:58 PM
We're signing the Mummy Returns and that's it unless something opportunist comes up.

selassie
30-12-2015, 12:15 PM
Sounds like Wenger is still in the market for players, he sounds bullish! I hope we are!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20151230/wenger-on-the-january-transfer-window

Kano
30-12-2015, 12:35 PM
Debuchy likely to be shipped on, which wouldn't be ideal for us leaving no real back-up for right back. Using Chambers there short term makes no sense as the guy needs to be given a defined role to develop into.

Cheeky £50m bid for Lukaku? If not now, then we need to in the summer. Forget Benzema, Cavani and Lacazette, this boy is the future. He's already said he wants to play under Wenger, he's at a great age and outgrowing Everton sooner rather than later, so time to bring out the Dick Law.

The Emirates Gallactico
30-12-2015, 12:48 PM
It's the most transparent and open he's been about transfers ever.

The Welbeck and Jack setbacks seems to have really exasperated him and forced his hand here. In addition to Elneny, if we can get some stopgap/loan signing up front (Kokorin?) I think he'll do it before probably the splashing the entire warchest this summer on a forward.

I'd fucking love Lukaku here as he's perfect for us but that's a summer mega transfer type move if I ever saw one. Given how strong Everton were in holding on to Stones, there's no way we could realistically prise him away in January. Wouldn't be suprised either if Utd tried to get in on the action considering that Wazza is past it and if it turns into a straight bidding war with them, we usually don't play ball. Though if they don't get CL football and continue to be a shambles mangerialy, he may just prefer to come here.

Lukaku being fed by Ozil for the next 5 years. :cloud9:

Özim
30-12-2015, 01:05 PM
We won't be making any big signings in the summer, we'll make 1 maybe 2 average priced signings and that will be it, we've made our big signings now, Wenger proved that last summer, so we should stop dreaming about signing quality strikers.

Kano
30-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Well we thought that before Ozil and Alexis, two signings we'd never thought we'd see under Wenger.

So before we tie the chord around our neck and kick away the chair, let's see what happens.

GP
30-12-2015, 01:27 PM
We've signed a world class player in each of the last 3 summers. No reason to think it'll stop now.

Xhaka Can’t
30-12-2015, 01:29 PM
We've signed a world class player in each of the last 3 summers. No reason to think it'll stop now.

Yeah but apparently it is now time to stop dreaming.

Heisenberg
30-12-2015, 01:38 PM
You can prove anything with facts

selassie
30-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Debuchy likely to be shipped on, which wouldn't be ideal for us leaving no real back-up for right back. Using Chambers there short term makes no sense as the guy needs to be given a defined role to develop into.

Cheeky £50m bid for Lukaku? If not now, then we need to in the summer. Forget Benzema, Cavani and Lacazette, this boy is the future. He's already said he wants to play under Wenger, he's at a great age and outgrowing Everton sooner rather than later, so time to bring out the Dick Law.

Aye, I think an under the radar type signing to fill in for Bellerin would be cool, I'm still not sold on Jenks though I suspect Wenger may well ride it out with Chambers filling in for Bellerin and bring Jenks back in the summer as number 2 to Bellerin.

Would love Lukaku but we aint going to be spending that kind of money on him, he's a class act though.

selassie
30-12-2015, 01:45 PM
It's the most transparent and open he's been about transfers ever.

The Welbeck and Jack setbacks seems to have really exasperated him and forced his hand here. In addition to Elneny, if we can get some stopgap/loan signing up front (Kokorin?) I think he'll do it before probably the splashing the entire warchest this summer on a forward.

I'd fucking love Lukaku here as he's perfect for us but that's a summer mega transfer type move if I ever saw one. Given how strong Everton were in holding on to Stones, there's no way we could realistically prise him away in January. Wouldn't be suprised either if Utd tried to get in on the action considering that Wazza is past it and if it turns into a straight bidding war with them, we usually don't play ball. Though if they don't get CL football and continue to be a shambles mangerialy, he may just prefer to come here.

Lukaku being fed by Ozil for the next 5 years. :cloud9:

I personally think Lukaku is wishlist material now, our time to get him was from Chelsea. If he does move it will be for serious money and I suspect City and United will get involved, Wenger won't entertain any auction, he never does. Wenger has bought some world class players over the past few years so that isn't in question, however they have been players that have been pretty much publically made available as oppose to us going for them off the back of an ambitious bid.

Marc Overmars
30-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Lukaku is great. Can't think of many players who had over 50 PL goals at 22. It would probably eclipse the 50m Chelsea paid for Torres but it would be worth it considering how much of his career is left infront of him.

GP
30-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Chelsea wouldn't have sold him to us. They wouldn't even give us Ba on loan.

Static
30-12-2015, 02:20 PM
We should really go all out for Lukaku. Like really really.

selassie
30-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Chelsea wouldn't have sold him to us. They wouldn't even give us Ba on loan.

Maybe...Maybe not...

They seemed quite keen to get him off their books albeit at a high price. I get the impression he fell out with Maureen so you never know...but I do take your point that Maureen was very reluctant to do business with us.

selassie
30-12-2015, 02:29 PM
We should really go all out for Lukaku. Like really really.

I think that Ighalo at Watford is another one to watch, he looks some player too, fast, strong and a decent finisher. He's a "work in progress" and looks a tad clumsy at times but he has all the raw ingredients to be a top class striker.

The Emirates Gallactico
30-12-2015, 02:29 PM
I personally think Lukaku is wishlist material now, our time to get him was from Chelsea. If he does move it will be for serious money and I suspect City and United will get involved, Wenger won't entertain any auction, he never does. Wenger has bought some world class players over the past few years so that isn't in question, however they have been players that have been pretty much publically made available as oppose to us going for them off the back of an ambitious bid.

As Doug says there's no way that Mourinho would have let us have Lukaku. We only got Cech because the decision was taken away from him - if he had his way, we'd probably still be starting Ospina in goal right now.

I kind of agree, if we becomes an auction we'll most likely sit it out - that's never been our style. But if for some miracle we matched whatever bid the others made and they were accepted, I'd like to think that working with Wenger and our stablity may just tempt him here (winning the title wouldn't hurt either!). May just be the glasses but he does seem like a pretty grounded and sensible kid.

On a seperate note, Roman must be fuming. That's both De Bruyne and Lukaku now, who due to the hopelessness of Mourinho to work with youth, they've let go for relative peanuts in today's market. What's even more hilarious is that it's also two players that they could really do with now given how poor Cesc and Costa have been. :lol:

selassie
30-12-2015, 02:34 PM
As Doug says there's no way that Mourinho would have let us have Lukaku. We only got Cech because the decision was taken away from him - if he had his way, we'd probably still be starting Ospina in goal right now.

I kind of agree, if we becomes an auction we'll most likely sit it out - that's never been our style. But if for some miracle we matched whatever bid the others made and they were accepted, I'd like to think that working with Wenger and our stablity may just tempt him here (winning the title wouldn't hurt either!). May just be the glasses but he does seem like a pretty grounded and sensible kid.

On a seperate note, Roman must be fuming. That's both De Bruyne and Lukaku now, who due to the hopelessness of Mourinho to work with youth, they've let go for relative peanuts in today's market. What's even more hilarious is that it's also two players that they could really do with now given how poor Cesc and Costa have been. :lol:

Aye, totally agree TEG. I find it quite amusing that Roman set out an objective for Maureen to bring through their young players and Maureen sold most of them or ignored them!!! Lukaku & De Bruyne are both top class players, they were both pretty decent even when Maureen wasn't given them a chance. Bertrand is another one who has been sold and is a pretty tidy player. Loftus-Cheek looks pretty good too but Maureen won't play him, they also have some CB out on loan in Germany called Christensen who is suppose to be the real deal yet Maureen spent the summer chasing Jon Stones!!! It's laughable.

Edited to add: They have the best youth team in the Country by some distance, they have had for what 4 years yet Maureen refused to give any of their talents a run out.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Watching Kante at Leicester and he seems very good. He looks like a great athlete and I wouldnt think he'd be very expensive either. Definitely think he is better than Elneny or whoever we are looking to sign.

You've yet to see Elneny play though?

Lukaku is as intelligent and grounded a young player as you'll find...but yes, that boat has long since sailed. With the sums of money mooted for just staying in the prem this season, no prem clubs are letting prized assets go easily.

Letters
30-12-2015, 05:45 PM
You can prove anything with facts

Not if you're talking to Zim :lol:

fakeyank
30-12-2015, 08:06 PM
You've yet to see Elneny play though?

I have seen clips of Elneny play and he looks decent. Kante still trumps it for me just because Kante is proven in the premiership. Elneny could take the league by storm but with Kante, you do not need the '6 month' acclimatization period.

Master Splinter
30-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Kante is the new big, black DM that Arsenal have been crying out for.

Who's actually a midget.

Charlie Nicholas thinks we should go for 34 year-old Carrick to fulfil our 30-32 quota:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12090/10112110/nicholas-carrick-for-arsenal

Shaqiri Is Boss
30-12-2015, 10:03 PM
6 months ago Kante was an unknown mid-table nobody. In 6 months he might be a nobody again; very risky to judge anyone from Leicester atm. At least this Elnenny (or whatever it is) has actually played at a good level for a decent team for a couple of years+. Tbf to Wenger, he usually pulls it out of the bag with unexpected under the radar signings. It's when he fires up Football Manager 2006 that the problem starts.

Kano
31-12-2015, 02:18 AM
6 months ago Kante was an unknown mid-table nobody. In 6 months he might be a nobody again; very risky to judge anyone from Leicester atm. At least this Elnenny (or whatever it is) has actually played at a good level for a decent team for a couple of years+. Tbf to Wenger, he usually pulls it out of the bag with unexpected under the radar signings. It's when he fires up Football Manager 2006 that the problem starts.
That's a good point although I'm not sure which, if any, of the 'big names' in the Leicester side will go onto bigger and better things. Both Vardy and Mahrez could easily slip back into obscurity after his season, along with Drinkwater and Fuchs, for example. Mahrez stands a better chance because of his technical ability but how many Arfa-style footballers have we seen over the years who build a rep they can never live up to long term? For the time being their story is reinvigorating for the game here, a side full to the brim with confidence and hopefully the jackals of the game - our clubs included - don't strip Leicester dry before they get a chance to build on this season. Which is wishful thinking.

As it stands Kante stands as good a chance as Elneny when it comes to stepping up to a consistently higher level of football. One has 6 months of Premiership football, the other playing European competition at a similar level to the Prem. By the sounds of it we're getting the latter rather than the former, so it won't be too long before we find out if we've signed a gem or a dud.

I am invisible
31-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Stephan El Shaarawy - yesterday's news or still worth a gamble?

Was meant to be the next big thing in Italy at one point, but hasn't really done much since that breakthrough season, and now seems to be stuck in some bizarre loan deal at Monaco? Apparently they'll have to buy him for €14m if he plays 1 more game for them, but they've told Milan that they don't want to buy, and have stopped playing him?! All very odd, if true.

Anyway... could he be salvaged, or is he a waste of space now?

fakeyank
01-01-2016, 04:48 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10115506/free-transfer-xi-ronaldinho-kevin-nolan-emmanuel-adebayor-available-in-january

Boateng is a good punt for free tbh.

Adebayor too.. :run:

McNamara That Ghost...
01-01-2016, 07:09 PM
None of them thanks.

I am invisible
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Still being linked with a lot of midfielders, in spite of the Elneny deal - Rabiot, Samper and (Arsenal old boy) Ozyakup seem to be the most credible, recurring links?

Also quite a lot of talk that we're close to a deal for Leicester City loanee Ben Chilwell (19 years old LB)?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Ozyakup!? Blimey!

Also I know he's linked to City....but is Isco who is a major talent worth keeping an eye on......

And as a slightly left field option/alternative......is Lassana Diarra worth a punt? I hear he has been quite impressive the last year...

GP
02-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Diarra can go fuck himself with a rusty ladle.

I am invisible
02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Isco? Definitely!

Diarra? Nah. Too old now. I'd like another CM signing, but we need to be looking at a rebuild for the next 5+ years, not another guy in his 30s...

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Yeah figures....I was thinking along the lines of a Flaminiesque backup.

Essentially though, we should be looking to bring in the proper long term solution, be it an identified target of last summer or of this summer coming. Not sure where Elneny fits in in that respect.

Power n Glory
03-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Reports linking us to a £42m bid for Aubameyang and also some saying Javier Hernandez is available for £25m.

Worth a punt?

Marc Overmars
03-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Been a huge fan of Aubameyang for a while, explosive pace and very versatile. He's been ridiculous this season so even for 42m I don't see Dortmund selling this month. Maybe one for the summer.

Not sure about Hernandez, great finisher but maybe a little one dimensional for our set up.

Power n Glory
03-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Been a huge fan of Aubameyang for a while, explosive pace and very versatile. He's been ridiculous this season so even for 42m I don't see Dortmund selling this month. Maybe one for the summer.

Not sure about Hernandez, great finisher but maybe a little one dimensional for our set up.

Yes, I can't see Dortmund selling right now. They're in the title race. Hernandez does seem like an old school number 9 striker. One dimensional? A defined purpose perhaps? We don't have great finishers in the squad and the way Ozil is playing he could do with someone that anticipates the ball and often finds themselves in a goal scoring position.

Globalgunner
03-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Id go with Hernandez, simply because Aubameyang is so similar to Welbeck but a little better. Same pace, better finishing and of course far more healthy. Wenger wont give up on Danny yet and Hernandez is a goal poacher par excellence. We desperately need an accomplished DM who is ready to play right away. No chance of winning anything without that.

selassie
04-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Reports linking us to a £42m bid for Aubameyang and also some saying Javier Hernandez is available for £25m.

Worth a punt?

Aubameyang is a beast IMO, he's been playing at a really high level for 2 seasons now, especially this season.

I think he's the most realistic and best striker in the market for us to sign but I think we're going to need to be very aggressive in our pursuit of him before the big boys get involved.

I'd pay 42m for him now without question, seems we are high on him but Dortmund don't want to sell.

Hernandez in my opinion is not worth the punt, I don't think he's any better than what we currently have.

selassie
04-01-2016, 11:04 AM

:gp:

Dein-machine
04-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Aubameyang is a beast IMO, he's been playing at a really high level for 2 seasons now, especially this season.

I think he's the most realistic and best striker in the market for us to sign but I think we're going to need to be very aggressive in our pursuit of him before the big boys get involved.

I'd pay 42m for him now without question, seems we are high on him but Dortmund don't want to sell.

Hernandez in my opinion is not worth the punt, I don't think he's any better than what we currently have.

Agree with this but the problem lies with us being very aggressive in our pursuit. We know Wenger is the opposite. Thinks everyone should be banging on his door under the impression that every world class footballer would want to come to Arsenal & for a fee that Wenger decides, not what the market dictates. Aubameyang's goals could win us the league - Wenger needs to weigh up what that's worth to us as a club, before he makes his usual derisory offer.

The Emirates Gallactico
04-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Aubameyang is a beast but I'd much rather go all in for Lukaku tbh. Premier league proven and with Everton unlikely to have CL football next year, probably easier to persuade.

Bumble
04-01-2016, 01:11 PM
what I like about Hernandez is that I think he is the type of player that could come off the bench and get a goal. Like Solskjaer used to. Don't we really have that type of player.

Power n Glory
04-01-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't see us signing a striker. I'd like to imagine we'd sign Hernandez, Lukaku, Aubameyang, Cavani....whoever else we're linked with but I can't see Wenger upsetting Giroud at this point. He hasn't had a long streak without a goal and even if he goes on a drought, he'll replace him with Theo. Giroud only replaced Theo because of injury. So that's two players Wenger needs to rapidly lose faith in for us to buy. It's not going to happen. He'll be scared off by the inflated fees and the lack of bargains on the table.

selassie
04-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Aubameyang is a beast but I'd much rather go all in for Lukaku tbh. Premier league proven and with Everton unlikely to have CL football next year, probably easier to persuade.

Aye, I'd happily take either, I think they'd both cost as much, 40-50mill +

Both will be relatively difficult signings to make, well they will for us if we insist on paying the "right" price or whatever it is Wenger says.

selassie
04-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Agree with this but the problem lies with us being very aggressive in our pursuit. We know Wenger is the opposite. Thinks everyone should be banging on his door under the impression that every world class footballer would want to come to Arsenal & for a fee that Wenger decides, not what the market dictates. Aubameyang's goals could win us the league - Wenger needs to weigh up what that's worth to us as a club, before he makes his usual derisory offer.

Yep, agreed.

The Emirates Gallactico
04-01-2016, 03:36 PM
I don't see us signing a striker. I'd like to imagine we'd sign Hernandez, Lukaku, Aubameyang, Cavani....whoever else we're linked with but I can't see Wenger upsetting Giroud at this point. He hasn't had a long streak without a goal and even if he goes on a drought, he'll replace him with Theo. Giroud only replaced Theo because of injury. So that's two players Wenger needs to rapidly lose faith in for us to buy. It's not going to happen. He'll be scared off by the inflated fees and the lack of bargains on the table.

Won't be this window yes, but I think Wenger has made it pretty clear for a while now with his actions that he wants to upgrade on Giroud.

Firstly when he signed Alexis, he made a point of stressing how Alexis could play upfront, something he tried a few times last season but due to how bad things were then, something he couldn't really experiement much with.

He's also prefered Theo up front this season and it's only been our ridicolous injury crisis that has allowed him a way back into the team. The Welbeck signing as well, whilst being a panic buy imo, was also partly influenced by bringing in someone to compensate for Giroud's defiencies.

I think he clearly wants someone with more dynamic movement and pace up front than Giroud but because of factors beyond his control such as lack of availablity he's kind of had no choice but to persist with him. And to his credit, Giroud has always risen up to the challenge and done well for us.

And I wouldn't poo-poo the idead of us getting in a mega star like Lukaku in the summer - the Ozil and Alexis transfers have demonstrated that he's more than happy to spend on ..... ahem ... "super top top quality". And if Man Utd continue their ridicolous summer pursuits of attempting to sign Muller, Neymar and Bale, leaving us a free shot at Lukaku, it's something I can see happening. Won't be a penny under £50 million mind you.

Edit - To add to the earlier point, Wenger also publicly tried to sign Suarez a few seasons back.

Power n Glory
04-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Won't be this window yes, but I think Wenger has made it pretty clear for a while now with his actions that he wants to upgrade on Giroud.

Firstly when he signed Alexis, he made a point of stressing how Alexis could play upfront, something he tried a few times last season but due to how bad things were then, something he couldn't really experiement much with.

He's also prefered Theo up front this season and it's only been our ridicolous injury crisis that has allowed him a way back into the team. The Welbeck signing as well, whilst being a panic buy imo, was also partly influenced by bringing in someone to compensate for Giroud's defiencies.

I think he clearly wants someone with more dynamic movement and pace up front than Giroud but because of factors beyond his control such as lack of availablity he's kind of had no choice but to persist with him. And to his credit, Giroud has always risen up to the challenge and done well for us.

And I wouldn't poo-poo the idead of us getting in a mega star like Lukaku in the summer - the Ozil and Alexis transfers have demonstrated that he's more than happy to spend on ..... ahem ... "super top top quality". And if Man Utd continue their ridicolous summer pursuits of attempting to sign Muller, Neymar and Bale, leaving us a free shot at Lukaku, it's something I can see happening. Won't be a penny under £50 million mind you.

Edit - To add to the earlier point, Wenger also publicly tried to sign Suarez a few seasons back.

I'm not sure on that. Wenger has been saying Giroud is one of the best strikers in Europe and it's not the first time he's said something like this. He believes he has potential and can improve.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/11/arsene-wenger-oliver-giroud-among-best-strikers-in-europe-arsenal

Maybe those are just words but if Wenger's actions were clear we'd have already found an upgrade on Giroud. It's really not clear. I think Wenger is indecisive when it comes to Giroud. We signed Welbeck because Giroud was injured remember? That's why it was a panic buy. Plus Welbeck has spent his career on the wings so he can fill in for Ox and Walcott. Also, he said Sanchez can play up front but if he really had him nailed on as our striker, he'd have stuck to playing him up front and signed a winger instead of Welbeck. Or maybe just played Welbeck on the left with Sanchez up front. I wouldn't use Sanchez as an example because Wenger hasn't played him up front since.

Suarez was an opportunity we went for but failed to land him. You can compare it to the Ozil signing. We had Cazorla and Jack for the number 10 role but Ozil was that good you couldn't afford to miss out on such a deal. I believe the same was the case for Suarez because we still didn't sign a striker in that window and we've yet to sign a first team striker to replace Giroud despite the many opportunities. Plenty players have moved that, in my opinion, would be an upgrade on Giroud but I don't know if Wenger feels that way. Does he feel they are that much better than Giroud or has the price tags scared him off? Regardless of price tags, if he felt that strongly about Giroud not being good enough up front, it's kind of crazy to persist with him for this long.

Power n Glory
04-01-2016, 07:02 PM
“You can never give up the style of player he is. If you go on the counterattack, of course, he isn’t the kind of player you want. That’s why when we played against Bayern [in October] I chose Walcott because you know you will be more in your half and have to go out quickly. When you dominate games and need a presence in the box, there is no better player than Olivier.”

This quote brings me back to a debate I had earlier about our striker situation. Wenger's idea of needing a presence in the box when dominating games and pinning our opponents back is why we've gone for a striker like Giroud. Why we bought Ade and Chamakh. It's a shift in his attacking philosophy and why I don't buy this argument that the strikers he wants aren't available. You could see it happening when we first started playing 4-5-1 and Henry struggling to play with his back to goal and doing the 'dirty work' as he called it.

Globalgunner
05-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Not to Worry. BBC has linked us to Troy Deeney of Watford. Good strategy it will improve us and also do serious damage to a rival.

KSE Comedy Club
05-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Not to Worry. BBC has linked us to Troy Deeney of Watford. Good strategy it will improve us and also do serious damage to a rival.

Yeh I saw that too.

Hilarious.

In other news: rumours abound that jack is selling is house - which immediately means he is on his way to citeh

if it is real, I can't say I'm that bothered as long as we take their fucking credit card for all its worth

selassie
05-01-2016, 08:04 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there is genuine interest from us, it's worrying. :thumbsdown:

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Wouldnt surprise me - he's much cheaper than Igalho & doesnt score as many goals - definite Wenger buy, an older Welbeck - just what we need.

The Emirates Gallactico
05-01-2016, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure on that. Wenger has been saying Giroud is one of the best strikers in Europe and it's not the first time he's said something like this. He believes he has potential and can improve.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/11/arsene-wenger-oliver-giroud-among-best-strikers-in-europe-arsenal

Maybe those are just words but if Wenger's actions were clear we'd have already found an upgrade on Giroud. It's really not clear. I think Wenger is indecisive when it comes to Giroud. We signed Welbeck because Giroud was injured remember? That's why it was a panic buy. Plus Welbeck has spent his career on the wings so he can fill in for Ox and Walcott. Also, he said Sanchez can play up front but if he really had him nailed on as our striker, he'd have stuck to playing him up front and signed a winger instead of Welbeck. Or maybe just played Welbeck on the left with Sanchez up front. I wouldn't use Sanchez as an example because Wenger hasn't played him up front since.

Suarez was an opportunity we went for but failed to land him. You can compare it to the Ozil signing. We had Cazorla and Jack for the number 10 role but Ozil was that good you couldn't afford to miss out on such a deal. I believe the same was the case for Suarez because we still didn't sign a striker in that window and we've yet to sign a first team striker to replace Giroud despite the many opportunities. Plenty players have moved that, in my opinion, would be an upgrade on Giroud but I don't know if Wenger feels that way. Does he feel they are that much better than Giroud or has the price tags scared him off? Regardless of price tags, if he felt that strongly about Giroud not being good enough up front, it's kind of crazy to persist with him for this long.

I think he knows that Giroud's ultimately not good enough for sustained domination in the league or Europe but capable of eeking out a title or two (hopefully that being this year), which is why he's always been on the look out for an improvement but hasn't made it an absoulte pirority. By all accounts we made tentative inquiries into Benzema this summer and there was also chatter that we asked about Martial but were rebuffed by Monaco who said that he wasn't for sale (it took an absurd bid from Man Utd to get him). I'd be interested to know of these strikers who have moved recently who you consider an upgrade. Benteke? Balotelli? Martinez? Mandzukic? The only ones who'd I consider catergorically better are the likes of Lewandoski, Neymar, Suarez etc ..... who are simply just unattainable for us right now.

True that Suarez was partly opportunisitc but do remember that we had quite publicly been looking for a striker that entire summer. It was well documented that we were on the verge of signing Higuain but our faffing around with Suarez mid way through that deal allowed Napoli to hijack it. Not to mention the numerous other strikers we were constantly linked with that summer (Jackson Martinez).

Yep, Welbeck was only signed because we were literally having to resort to start Sanogo up front (:doh: what a time to be alive) but the point I was alluding is that given how different Welbeck was in style to Giroud, I don't think he was signed to be a temporory replacement till Giroud returned but more I think Wenger hoped that he would eventually displace Giroud, because he had the qualities in a striker that he really wanted, something that never really materialised because Welbeck ........ well he turned out to be a bit crap tbh. The Giroud signing was always an odd one from Wenger. Through most of his history he's never persisted with a slow and cumbersome targetman up front, but instead he's usually gone for fast, dynamic and skilful players, see Thierry, RVP, Wright etc.

And like you allude to, don't take Wenger's praise of Giroud too literally - he does to all his players especially confidence players like Giroud, who has a history of being mentally fragile (see how his form dipped dramatically after Henry's criticism and the newspaper affair story).

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Wenger stating that Giroud is one of the best strikers in Europe is the kind of nonsense we expect from him. Now, if those kind of statements turned Giroud into something special with a new bout of confidence then you could accept it but he's said it before about players getting stick in the past & nothing changes. Remember Eboue!!.
Giroud isnt even in the 10 top strikers in the Premier League - let alone Europe. Sturridge, Benteke, Ighalo, Kane, Vardy, Aguero, Costa, Lukaku, Bony, & Martial would all offer us a better option & we could have bought at least 5 of these in the summer if we had wanted to.

The Emirates Gallactico
05-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Giroud isnt even in the 10 top strikers in the Premier League - let alone Europe. Sturridge, Benteke, Ighalo, Kane, Vardy, Aguero, Costa, Lukaku, Bony, & Martial would all offer us a better option & we could have bought at least 5 of these in the summer if we had wanted to.

Aguero, Kane, Lukaku and Marital are the only better ones. And out of those only Lukaku is attaianable.

- Sturridge? Don't we have enough injury crocks as it is?
- Benteke? :lol:
- Igalho? Decent but too early to say if it's just a purple patch.
- Vardy? See above
- Bony? :lol:
- Costa? If we were looking for fat WWE fighter perhaps.

Özim
05-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Some people might say, it's good to see Wenger recognising a problem area and finding someone for it.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Aguero, Kane, Lukaku and Marital are the only better ones. And out of those only Lukaku is attaianable.

- Sturridge? Don't we have enough injury crocks as it is?
- Benteke? :lol:
- Igalho? Decent but too early to say if it's just a purple patch.
- Vardy? See above
- Bony? :lol:
- Costa? If we were looking for fat WWE fighter perhaps.

All of the above would score more goals for us due to the chances we create & all would offer more movement which is what is required when you have the likes of Ozil, Santi & Rambo in midfield. Giroud's lack of movement is why we have to go side to side 25 yards from goal which often result in the opposition counter attacking because we have lost the ball in an area where our midfielders are out of position. His only hope is if he could finish when he does get a chance but he's not very good at that either.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Some people might say, it's good to see Wenger recognising a problem area and finding someone for it.

I would agree - it only took him a decade to realize how important a proper keeper is, hopefully it may dawn on him that if he uses this theory when it comes to a centre forward we may end up winning even more games- you can only hope!

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 02:41 PM
I think he knows that Giroud's ultimately not good enough for sustained domination in the league or Europe but capable of eeking out a title or two (hopefully that being this year), which is why he's always been on the look out for an improvement but hasn't made it an absoulte pirority. By all accounts we made tentative inquiries into Benzema this summer and there was also chatter that we asked about Martial but were rebuffed by Monaco who said that he wasn't for sale (it took an absurd bid from Man Utd to get him). I'd be interested to know of these strikers who have moved recently who you consider an upgrade. Benteke? Balotelli? Martinez? Mandzukic? The only ones who'd I consider catergorically better are the likes of Lewandoski, Neymar, Suarez etc ..... who are simply just unattainable for us right now.

True that Suarez was partly opportunisitc but do remember that we had quite publicly been looking for a striker that entire summer. It was well documented that we were on the verge of signing Higuain but our faffing around with Suarez mid way through that deal allowed Napoli to hijack it. Not to mention the numerous other strikers we were constantly linked with that summer (Jackson Martinez).

Yep, Welbeck was only signed because we were literally having to resort to start Sanogo up front (:doh: what a time to be alive) but the point I was alluding is that given how different Welbeck was in style to Giroud, I don't think he was signed to be a temporory replacement till Giroud returned but more I think Wenger hoped that he would eventually displace Giroud, because he had the qualities in a striker that he really wanted, something that never really materialised because Welbeck ........ well he turned out to be a bit crap tbh. The Giroud signing was always an odd one from Wenger. Through most of his history he's never persisted with a slow and cumbersome targetman up front, but instead he's usually gone for fast, dynamic and skilful players, see Thierry, RVP, Wright etc.

And like you allude to, don't take Wenger's praise of Giroud too literally - he does to all his players especially confidence players like Giroud, who has a history of being mentally fragile (see how his form dipped dramatically after Henry's criticism and the newspaper affair story).

Just focusing on the points in bold. Giroud certainly isn't a typical Wenger striker but we moved away from that model a long time ago. I've stressed this point yesterday. Since moving to a solo striker formation, Wenger has been looking for strikers that can hold up the ball in the box. Henry had a hard time adjusting to that role because he was so used to drifting into wide positions to find space but we needed a presence in the box. So in came Ade. When Henry left we bought Eduardo, a natural goal scorer but not a psychical player so Wenger was reluctant to play him up front on his own or would play him on the left.

He'd also tinker with Bendtner up front, we brought Chamakh in and Wenger would always praise his team work and how he brings others into play. Heck, he'd even give Sanogo a run up front before trying a smaller quicker player like Theo. Reason being he wants a player up front with a physical presence. RVP is the only player to have that presence but also have flair and deadly in the box. He's the exception and it took years to make him. From a winger, to number 10 to the perfect solo striker. It's been an age since we've had a Henry, Anelka type. Maybe we've been priced out of the market but then again, we've always developed our strikers. They've never been a finished product. So why have we moved away from players with pace up front but instead looked for more bulky players that work hard for the team. Ade, Chamakh and Giroud have that in common and all three aren't natural goal scorers. Far predators in the box.

In fact, if you look at their goal scoring records before Arsenal, it's unimpressive and Wenger had to be looking at something else when scouting them. It was clear they weren't natural goal scorers before we signed them. Also, Giroud is a far better player now than what he ever was. Scoff at players like Bony or Benteke, but looking at their goal scoring records, the type of goals they score, you don't think Wenger could improve them like Giroud? They are younger too. Prem experience and have scored more than Giroud over a season for poorer teams. I'm sure Wenger could bring them up to an even better level. But they're also on the more bulky side as well.

I'm more baffled at why he hasn't tried to develop the physical side of a player with natural flair or goal scoring ability like he did with RVP. Why take so long to try Theo in that role? Why not try Sanchez? Why not develop Vela physically when we had him here because that kid had a natural eye for the goal. There are plenty of other examples. It just doesn't make sense to do the reverse. Chamakh, Bendy and Sanogo are the extreme examples. A great presence up top but poor poor finishers. Why not teach these smaller players how to hold up the ball and negotiate their way around the box? How to be team players as well as goal scorers?

You also mention Martial but Wenger has said he thought he was a winger. Which suggests to me that he's not looking for the next Henry anymore. Or he can't see who has the potential to develop into that sort of player.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/manchester-united/story/2629963/anthony-martial-passed-on-by-arsenal-says-arsene-wenger

Letters
05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
I would agree - it only took him a decade to realize how important a proper keeper is
:rolleyes:

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 04:13 PM

Why roll eyes - is that statement correct or not. If you are one of the crowd suggesting Cech will save us 15 points a season then that must suggest that we all new our previous goal-keeprs wouldn't, including Wenger.
If you use the same logic with a proper goal-scoring centre forward, he may also gain us 15 points a season as opposed to a poor finisher like Giroud. If we all agree on that, why aren't doing it. What we do is buy cheaper alternatives that are no better than Giroud & we don't improve. Exactly as per the goal-keeping situation. Since the Lehman days we have bought cheaply in the hope they turn into another Seaman until the penny finally dropped for Le Prof. I would just like him to use his new found footballing nous to other areas of the pitch because it really does work you know.

selassie
05-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Just focusing on the points in bold. Giroud certainly isn't a typical Wenger striker but we moved away from that model a long time ago. I've stressed this point yesterday. Since moving to a solo striker formation, Wenger has been looking for strikers that can hold up the ball in the box. Henry had a hard time adjusting to that role because he was so used to drifting into wide positions to find space but we needed a presence in the box. So in came Ade. When Henry left we bought Eduardo, a natural goal scorer but not a psychical player so Wenger was reluctant to play him up front on his own or would play him on the left.

He'd also tinker with Bendtner up front, we brought Chamakh in and Wenger would always praise his team work and how he brings others into play. Heck, he'd even give Sanogo a run up front before trying a smaller quicker player like Theo. Reason being he wants a player up front with a physical presence. RVP is the only player to have that presence but also have flair and deadly in the box. He's the exception and it took years to make him. From a winger, to number 10 to the perfect solo striker. It's been an age since we've had a Henry, Anelka type. Maybe we've been priced out of the market but then again, we've always developed our strikers. They've never been a finished product. So why have we moved away from players with pace up front but instead looked for more bulky players that work hard for the team. Ade, Chamakh and Giroud have that in common and all three aren't natural goal scorers. Far predators in the box.

In fact, if you look at their goal scoring records before Arsenal, it's unimpressive and Wenger had to be looking at something else when scouting them. It was clear they weren't natural goal scorers before we signed them. Also, Giroud is a far better player now than what he ever was. Scoff at players like Bony or Benteke, but looking at their goal scoring records, the type of goals they score, you don't think Wenger could improve them like Giroud? They are younger too. Prem experience and have scored more than Giroud over a season for poorer teams. I'm sure Wenger could bring them up to an even better level. But they're also on the more bulky side as well.

I'm more baffled at why he hasn't tried to develop the physical side of a player with natural flair or goal scoring ability like he did with RVP. Why take so long to try Theo in that role? Why not try Sanchez? Why not develop Vela physically when we had him here because that kid had a natural eye for the goal. There are plenty of other examples. It just doesn't make sense to do the reverse. Chamakh, Bendy and Sanogo are the extreme examples. A great presence up top but poor poor finishers. Why not teach these smaller players how to hold up the ball and negotiate their way around the box? How to be team players as well as goal scorers?

You also mention Martial but Wenger has said he thought he was a winger. Which suggests to me that he's not looking for the next Henry anymore. Or he can't see who has the potential to develop into that sort of player.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/manchester-united/story/2629963/anthony-martial-passed-on-by-arsenal-says-arsene-wenger

selassie
05-01-2016, 04:28 PM

It's true, what made it worse is that plenty of decent keepers have been available and moving between clubs for fairly reasonable prices over the past decade yet Wenger still refused to spend. Cech was a good signing and a much needed one but Wenger could and should have addressed the goalkeeping position years ago, it was laughable how long he get away with frauds like Almunia and Fabianski in goal.

This is my issue with Wenger and his approach to improving the team/squad, IMO he mismanages areas of the team for far too long and for no apparent reason.

Letters
05-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Why roll eyes - is that statement correct or not.
Not. Obviously not.

Letters
05-01-2016, 04:42 PM
It's true.
It's true that he just didn't realise we could do with a better 'keeper? Behave...
Obviously he should have signed a better 'keeper years ago but the reality is a bit more complicated than a game of football manager.
The idea that he just didn't realise we could do with better is ridiculous. I have no idea why so many internet twats think they have the first clue about how to run a top level club and think our manager doesn't realise where things can be improved. If you're average joe in the street can see it you can be sure a top level manager can.

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 04:48 PM
It's true that he just didn't realise we could do with a better 'keeper? Behave...
Obviously he should have signed a better 'keeper years ago but the reality is a bit more complicated than a game of football manager.
The idea that he just didn't realise we could do with better is ridiculous. I have no idea why so many internet twats think they have the first clue about how to run a top level club and think our manager doesn't realise where things can be improved. If you're average joe in the street can see it you can be sure a top level manager can.

Why has it taken so long to address is the question. I'm sure it's complicated but we went for years without a top keeper. We had a problem with our keeper since 2007.

Letters
05-01-2016, 04:51 PM
I agree, and the answer is "I don't know". But it's not because Wenger thought Fabianski was the next David Seaman.
Almunia was, at times, close to good enough I reckon - I think he was our 'keeper in 2007/8 when we were close to being Champions before the trademark collapse, and I don't think he was particularly at fault for the collapse. But then he went terrible.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Not. Obviously not.

Obvious to you I think. Are you seriously saying that Wengers policy of buying keepers like Fabianski, Sir Ches & Ospina whilst others were spending 4 times as much on the likes of Hart, De Gea & Lloris hasn't cost us. you only have to look at Ospina in the C.L. this year to answer that. Even your mate recognised it & didn't play him for the next C.L. game because of the stick he got & we all now how difficult it must have been for Wenger to NOT listen to the obvious.
Cech has already saved us on a number of occasions this year - you only have to look at our last game. Everyone on here would agree that a world class keeper is saving us from dropping points. Why has it taken us so long to have a world class keeper when the benefits are obvious. You yourself have said that the benefits of Ozil & Sanchez are obvious, why then does that not equate to the obvious benefits of a world class finisher.

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 04:55 PM
I agree, and the answer is "I don't know". But it's not because Wenger thought Fabianski was the next David Seaman.
Almunia was, at times, close to good enough I reckon - I think he was our 'keeper in 2007/8 when we were close to being Champions before the trademark collapse, and I don't think he was particularly at fault for the collapse. But then he went terrible.

We really don't know what Wenger thought about his players but the fact that he gave these keepers so much game time shows he believed in them to an extent. Vieria did say this is his strength and weakness as a manager.

selassie
05-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Why didn't he sign one then?!

The reality is that he mismanaged the position. This really has nothing to do with people thinking they can do a better job than him as a manager, it's about calling him out for mismanaging areas of the squad, he has form for it.

Letters
05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
You yourself have said that the benefits of Ozil & Sanchez are obvious, why then does that not equate to the obvious benefits of a world class finisher.
They don't exactly grow on trees. And he did bid for Suarez and was after Benzema in the summer. So it's not like he doesn't recognise the need.
Maybe he has shown too much confidence in his players at times but he gets it right more often than he gets it wrong IMO.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Letters - he is the manager of Arsenal FC - not Norwich. He told us we were going to be a dominant force in Europe after the stadium move & yet you think its been difficult for him to find better players. You know thats bull - he got lauded for early success in turning the likes of Henry & Viera into top players & simply wanted to continue doing things his way. His way ( which I love by the way ) was ruined by the Chavs, City & Utd seemingly being able to sepnd whatever they want & he didnt want to react because of his arrogance. To be Arsenal manager for as long as he has, with all the resources we have & to be in a situation where we have only just addressed the obvious keeper situation, where we are relying on the slowest CB in the premier league, a young lad in hss first real season as a DM & CF's that cant finish for toffee is beyond a joke. This is the spine of our team & its why we have results like the Southampton one.

Letters
05-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Letters - he is the manager of Arsenal FC - not Norwich. He told us we were going to be a dominant force in Europe after the stadium move & yet you think its been difficult for him to find better players.
I think that for quite a long time the financial situation made it difficult to, we were somewhat hampered by the stadium repayments and long term financial deals and we had the double whammy of the billionaires running around skewing the market. It was difficult to buy big in that era.
When the new financial deals came into place we signed Ozil, then Sanchez, then Cech. The difference has been obvious.
The Southampton result was unacceptable, clearly, but City drew away at Villa and failed to score there. We've been good enough to get to this stage of the season top of the league, whether we're good enough to stay there remains to be seen but the players I mentioned give me hope.

If you're going to compare every season to The Invincibles then look forward to a lifetime of disappointment. Given the way you post you were probably still moaning about things then.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 05:13 PM
They don't exactly grow on trees. And he did bid for Suarez and was after Benzema in the summer. So it's not like he doesn't recognise the need.
Maybe he has shown too much confidence in his players at times but he gets it right more often than he gets it wrong IMO.

I know they don't grow on trees but we havent had a proper striker since RVP & we really should have had another one to help him out when he was with us. What I'm saying is that the situation regarding 2 of the most important areas on the pitch GK & striker has been severly mis-managed by Wenger. Fabianski, Sir Ches, Ospina, are similar to buying Chamakh, Sanogo, Giroud - it equates to a lack of quality which affects the whole team. You say he gets it right most of the time but I totally disgree, especially in the last 10 years. Look at the CB's we bought Squillaci, Cygan, Mertascker - only Kos has turned into a world class player. We had Gibbs 10 years ago & soon worked out he wasnt good enough to fill Cole's boots, we ONLY just found someone better than Gibbs & there are still a few doubters about Monreal. Its not hard when he's buying dross like the fat Brazilian.

Dein-machine
05-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Given the way you post you were probably still moaning about things then.

yes - it was ridiculous the amount of games we drew in the Invincible year.

Letters
05-01-2016, 05:24 PM
yes - it was ridiculous the amount of games we drew in the Invincible year.

:lol:

Letters
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
You say he gets it right most of the time but I totally disgree, especially in the last 10 years. Look at the CB's we bought Squillaci, Cygan, Mertascker - only Kos has turned into a world class player. We had Gibbs 10 years ago & soon worked out he wasnt good enough to fill Cole's boots, we ONLY just found someone better than Gibbs & there are still a few doubters about Monreal. Its not hard when he's buying dross like the fat Brazilian.
And yet we've finished top 4 every single year, we've just won the FA Cup twice in a row and we're currently top of the league.
He must be doing some things right. :shrug:

Bumble
05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
And yet we've finished top 4 every single year, we've just won the FA Cup twice in a row and we're currently top of the league.
He must be doing some things right. :shrug:

we should be finishing top 4 each year based on wage bill and income. winning the cup twice is good and being top of the league is good. he just needs to push home the advantage of the issues surrounding all our challengers.

Letters
05-01-2016, 05:47 PM
I guess top 4 is about par - although clubs spent a LOT of money trying to displace us.
But I don't think we have any right to think we should have swept all before us in the last 10 years with Chelsea and City running amok. Only Fergie managed to wrest titles out of their grubby mitts.
But yes, we now have the finances and the players to properly compete and we should do so this year. No more excuses.

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 05:49 PM
FFS how many times is this going to be repeated?

Kano
05-01-2016, 05:53 PM
I guess top 4 is about par - although clubs spent a LOT of money trying to displace us.
But I don't think we have any right to think we should have swept all before us in the last 10 years with Chelsea and City running amok. Only Fergie managed to wrest titles out of their grubby mitts.
But yes, we now have the finances and the players to properly compete and we should do so this year. No more excuses.
But aren't you grouping yourself into that group of Internet twats by saying there should be no more excuses?

Munchies
05-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Getting linked to Aubameyang each day

SSN said he missed their training session today

Would cost at least £35m

Kano
05-01-2016, 06:32 PM
More than that and given all the links to Dortmund players over the years, how many have they sold to the UK? One.

He wants to play in Spain anyway, going by what he's said in the past. And Dortmund would never sell mid season given this is their recovery after last year.

fakeyank
05-01-2016, 07:43 PM
There will be a massive romance explosion in my pants if Aubameyang joins!

Letters
05-01-2016, 08:03 PM
But aren't you grouping yourself into that group of Internet twats by saying there should be no more excuses?

No, I don't spend every waking hour going on about how useless Wenger is and how I'd be doing a much better job than him. (Somewhat exaggerating)

But we do now have the financial clout to compete. The players Wenger has bought in the last 3 years have made a difference, we should now be competing. But I'm not going to shout 'Wenger Out' at every bump in the road.

Letters
05-01-2016, 08:03 PM
There will be a massive romance explosion in my pants if Aubameyang joins!

:sick:

Kano
05-01-2016, 08:14 PM
No, I don't spend every waking hour going on about how useless Wenger is and how I'd be doing a much better job than him. (Somewhat exaggerating)

But we do now have the financial clout to compete. The players Wenger has bought in the last 3 years have made a difference, we should now be competing. But I'm not going to shout 'Wenger Out' at every bump in the road.

Doesn't matter, it is still a massive contradiction. Everyone throws out their criticism - poorly judged or not - but you are doing exactly the same by 'simply' saying he should be sacked if he doesn't win the league and there are no more excuses. It makes no difference how regularly or not you make that statement, making it once is enough to undermine yourself. If your point was that football management is far from as straight forward as we ALL suggest, then boiling your own stance down to 'win or be sacked' is nonsensical.

Letters
05-01-2016, 08:17 PM
I didn't say he should be sacked if we don't win the league but I do expect us to properly challenge.
There's no contradiction. Our finances has changed, my expectations have changed.

Kano
05-01-2016, 09:11 PM
http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3431&page=18

Letters
05-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I said properly challenge there too :lol:

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 10:20 PM
I didn't say he should be sacked if we don't win the league but I do expect us to properly challenge.
There's no contradiction. Our finances has changed, my expectations have changed.

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Doesn't matter, it is still a massive contradiction. Everyone throws out their criticism - poorly judged or not - but you are doing exactly the same by 'simply' saying he should be sacked if he doesn't win the league and there are no more excuses. It makes no difference how regularly or not you make that statement, making it once is enough to undermine yourself. If your point was that football management is far from as straight forward as we ALL suggest, then boiling your own stance down to 'win or be sacked' is nonsensical.

Well put.

Letters
05-01-2016, 10:26 PM

Excellent debating :good:

Letters
05-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Well put.

It would have been had I said he should be sacked if he doesn't win the league :lol:
Kano's own link - I assume that was supposed to show this massive contradiction - shows me saying the exact same thing, "properly challenge".

Power n Glory
05-01-2016, 11:23 PM
It would have been had I said he should be sacked if he doesn't win the league :lol:
Kano's own link - I assume that was supposed to show this massive contradiction - shows me saying the exact same thing, "properly challenge".

You said he thought he should have been sacked last season but we won the FA Cup. You also say if we tail off this season because we don't sign a striker or have injury problems he should be sacked.

Kano is right. You've undermined your own argument.

Letters
06-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Meh. Whatever.

Power n Glory
06-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Great debating.:good:

Letters
06-01-2016, 09:42 AM
I've already explained my position very clearly. I can't be arsed going round and round in circles continuing to do so with someone clearly hell-bent on finding fault in everything I say. :good:

Power n Glory
06-01-2016, 10:10 AM

Again, :gp:

Letters - read it.

Letters
06-01-2016, 10:15 AM
I've already explained my position very clearly. I can't be arsed going round and round in circles continuing to do so with someone clearly hell-bent on finding fault in everything I say. :good:

EDIT: Go on then, one last try.

but you are doing exactly the same by 'simply' saying he should be sacked if he doesn't win the league

I did NOT say that :good:

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Would anyone like a lollipop?

The Emirates Gallactico
06-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Good points and I do really agree with the pneultimate paragragh of Wenger doing things the wrong way in regards to developing a striker though I'm still not convinced that he's fully abandoned his idea of his old school type of strikers. He wouldn't have dropped Giroud for Theo at the start if that was the case.

Chamkah was more a free punt (freebie signing of the Ligue 1 winners at the time) and Bendtner was a talented youth player coming up through the ranks who Wenger wanted to give minutes to. I think you also forget how much of a hybrid Ade was at the time. Good hold up play but he could also run the channels and make runs in behind (when he could be bothered).

Put it this way, I think if Henry or Anelka were at their prime right now, Wenger would play them up front and not out wide.

Come of it Letters, I'm one of the more pro Wenger guys (probably isn't saying much) on here but the whole keeper debacle with Almunia and Fabianski was certainly one of his worst managerial moments. Indefensible.

A competent keeper isn't that hard to find or that expensive to acquire. No one was asking him to sign Casillias or Buffon at the time but just someone who wasn't a complete liability in goal, who at the very worst wasn't costing us goals and points. An old, stable hand like Scwarzher would have been perfect, but as was quite reflective of that horrible period, we quibbled over a million pounds and ended up losing our target. :doh:

Letters
06-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Would anyone like a lollipop?

Go on then.

Letters
06-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Come of it Letters, I'm one of the more pro Wenger guys (probably isn't saying much) on here but the whole keeper debacle with Almunia and Fabianski was certainly one of his worst managerial moments. Indefensible.

A competent keeper isn't that hard to find or that expensive to acquire. No one was asking him to sign Casillias or Buffon at the time but just someone who wasn't a complete liability in goal, who at the very worst wasn't costing us goals and points. An old, stable hand like Scwarzher would have been perfect, but as was quite reflective of that horrible period, we quibbled over a million pounds and ended up losing our target. :doh:

I kinda rated Almunia for a while but then he got rubbish. Fabianski... :lol: Yeah, not defending that.
It's the general attitude of some on here that they can see where our problems lie but Wenger can't and any idiot could sort it out which irritates.
I suspect that the complexities of sorting out a transfer are a little more complicated in real life than on Championship Manager, or whatever. But I guess that's why he gets the big bucks. And I do agree he's shown too much faith in players and persisted with some of them for too long. Overall not a bad policy and I'm sure the fact that players know he's not going to throw them under the bus a la Mourinho is helpful to squad harmony.

selassie
06-01-2016, 12:24 PM
I kinda rated Almunia for a while but then he got rubbish. Fabianski... :lol: Yeah, not defending that.
It's the general attitude of some on here that they can see where our problems lie but Wenger can't and any idiot could sort it out which irritates.
I suspect that the complexities of sorting out a transfer are a little more complicated in real life than on Championship Manager, or whatever. But I guess that's why he gets the big bucks. And I do agree he's shown too much faith in players and persisted with some of them for too long. Overall not a bad policy and I'm sure the fact that players know he's not going to throw them under the bus a la Mourinho is helpful to squad harmony.

I think Wenger can see the problems, it's just that he's hell bent on proving everybody wrong! Of course I don't think it's as black and white as that and other factors come into play like you said, I.E. Him giving too much trust to his players.

To be fair to Wenger he has become a lot more ruthless these days, especially now that the purse strings are loosened, though I'm still not comfortable with the way he manages the squad as I think he takes too many unnecessary gambles.

Özil's Panoramic View
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Such contempt for anyone who questions our dear leader.

Born a generation late and in the wrong country I reckon.

Letters
06-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Such contempt for anyone who questions our dear leader.
:yawn:

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
The idea a fan has to have a coaching badge and 20 years experience managing a top club before he can comment is like the justification used by politicians when taking the opposite position to their constituents or avoiding consultation and bypassing representation. The public is too ignorant to understand or even have an opinion. All bullshit of course. Because you can still measure a decision against the outcome, you don't need a doctorate to know when an elitist smartarse has fucked up or serviced his own agenda at the expense of everyone else. Wenger's like that. Don't question him, how many substitutions have you made, over how many years, etc, etc. To which the reply is - how many titles have you won in the last decade in return for the highest ticket prices in the world? Of course a football club is not a democracy (then again nor is our democracy), but the dimmest wit can twig Wenger has significantly under-delivered. No badge, no experience required. Then it becomes a matter of degrees, comments on substitutions, transfer policy, tactics. Even a monkey can spot a pattern. An educated fan with decades of experience watching the managers and players that have come through this club, they can tell when something is on the up and when something is fucked up.

Letters
06-01-2016, 04:11 PM
The idea a fan has to have a coaching badge and 20 years experience managing a top club before he can comment.
Also nothing like what I said.

Addendum: We have the 4th biggest budget, we've always finished in the top 4. How has he under-delivered? When the money became available to buy a higher level of player he did so and we immediately started winning trophies again. Whether he can push on and win us the PL remains to be seen but while we're in the mix and with some of the players we've got I'll believe we have a good chance and judge him at the end of the season.

Power n Glory
06-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Addendum: We have the 4th biggest budget, we've always finished in the top 4. How has he under-delivered? When the money became available to buy a higher level of player he did so and we immediately started winning trophies again. Whether he can push on and win us the PL remains to be seen but while we're in the mix and with some of the players we've got I'll believe we have a good chance and judge him at the end of the season.

Do you copy and paste that?

Letters
06-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Do you copy and paste that?

Why are you asking me that, not NQ? :)

Niall_Quinn
06-01-2016, 04:48 PM

So what's the requirement to move on from being an Internet twat to something more worthy?

Letters
06-01-2016, 04:59 PM
So what's the requirement to move on from being an Internet twat to something more worthy?

I'm sure you're a twat in real life too :hug:

:run:

fakeyank
06-01-2016, 05:20 PM
Whats happening with Elneny? Why isnt he here yet?!

The Emirates Gallactico
06-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Whats happening with Elneny? Why isnt he here yet?!

Got locked in a pyramid apparently. :coffee:

Nah, one of his Basle teammates has all but confirmed the moved

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03542/fbpost_3542130b.jpg

Probably just waiting for paperwork from the home office before we can confirm the move. There's probably a backlog of applications since the Christmas break.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Just waiting for Federer to sign off on it.

Maestro
06-01-2016, 08:29 PM
New Home Office regs have added an extra layer of red tape for non-EU international players who;

1. Cost less than £10m
2. Whose country is outside the top 50 FIFA ranking

...and he falls into this category, so you have to appeal the automatic bar with a strong representation on a "Special Talent" basis for work permit qualification, and once issued the international clearance is granted, player registered in the league .....then you're good to go.

Should be all sorted by close of play Friday hopefully. Trust me I'm ITK and act on behalf Arsenal in these sort of transfers.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
WayneGooney. :bow:

Maestro
06-01-2016, 08:41 PM
WayneGooney. :bow:

your very own

## have to feed the masses something, all i need is my very own twitter account

Özim
06-01-2016, 09:37 PM
New Home Office regs have added an extra layer of red tape for non-EU international players who;

1. Cost less than £10m
2. Whose country is outside the top 50 FIFA ranking

...and he falls into this category, so you have to appeal the automatic bar with a strong representation on a "Special Talent" basis for work permit qualification, and once issued the international clearance is granted, player registered in the league .....then you're good to go.

Should be all sorted by close of play Friday hopefully. Trust me I'm ITK and act on behalf Arsenal in these sort of transfers.
Kinda depends if he qualifies as a "special talent" I guess.

Maestro
06-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Kinda depends if he qualifies as a "special talent" I guess.

I managed to appeal the case for Denilson and get him a work permit on that very same basis, so this is easy as piss ..especially given the amount of foreign dross in the English leagues

I'll confirm as soon as I come out from the appeal hearing, stay tuned :good:

LDG
07-01-2016, 10:40 AM
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/485892/Adrien-Rabiot-Arsenal-transfer-news

Robots :bow:

GP
07-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Just ran over a Rabiot. Devastated.

GP
07-01-2016, 10:57 AM
https://twitter.com/Kike_Marin_/status/685042766418735104

LOOOOOOOOOL

Özim
07-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I managed to appeal the case for Denilson and get him a work permit on that very same basis, so this is easy as piss ..especially given the amount of foreign dross in the English leagues

Yeah :lol: that was a shocker, basically special talent seems to involve kicking a ball, not necessarily in the direction intended.

Gooner23
07-01-2016, 11:20 AM
https://twitter.com/Kike_Marin_/status/685042766418735104

LOOOOOOOOOL

The Emirates Gallactico
07-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Were you also the one responsible for classfying Ryo as a special talent as well? :lol:

Anyway, look forward to hearing the outcome. GW's very own exclusive breaking news. :lol:

Gooner23
07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Yeah :lol: that was a shocker, basically special talent seems to involve kicking a ball, not necessarily in the direction intended.

He's in my worst 5 players from the Wenger era, alongside Silvestre, Chamackh, Squillaci and Dennis Bendtner (the Barca miss seals his place).

Kano
07-01-2016, 11:36 AM
He's in my worst 5 players from the Wenger era, alongside Silvestre, Chamackh, Squillaci and Dennis Bendtner (the Barca miss seals his place).

Stepanovs. Hands down.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Stepanovs. Hands down.

His performance in the 6-1 at Old Trafford...

Gooner23
07-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Was struggling to think of some of the earlier ones. Denilson wasn't the worst ability wise, just the gimpy smile whilst he half heartedly sauntered around the pitch did it for me.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2016, 11:53 AM
The faith shown in Denilson certainly has to rank as one of WUMger's poorest decisions. Especially during the era where quality in the squad was thin on the ground, looking back now it's pretty damn impressive that we still finished 4th with some of those guys and hardly any net spend.

I am invisible
07-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Seems to be directly related to how much they're going to pay the tax man from what I've seen...

selassie
07-01-2016, 11:59 AM
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/485892/Adrien-Rabiot-Arsenal-transfer-news

Robots :bow:

I hope this is legit, he looks a very good player from the little I've seen of him and he has a good reputation for a young player. This transfer would excite me ;)

Bumble
07-01-2016, 12:18 PM
The faith shown in Denilson certainly has to rank as one of WUMger's poorest decisions. Especially during the era where quality in the squad was thin on the ground, looking back now it's pretty damn impressive that we still finished 4th with some of those guys and hardly any net spend.
low net spend but massive wage bill.... not exactly penny pinching. and 4th place is where we should have been finishing. although you are right how we did it with eboue, denilson etc around the squad is pretty impressive.

Marc Overmars
07-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Debuchy reportedly wants to leave. Villa and Roma interested.

Power n Glory
07-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Deeney rules out January exit.

Globalgunner
07-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Deeney rules out January exit.

Aww Dammit!

I am invisible
07-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Ah nuts!

LDG
07-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Gutted

I am invisible
07-01-2016, 02:37 PM
I hope this is legit, he looks a very good player from the little I've seen of him and he has a good reputation for a young player. This transfer would excite me ;)

:good:

I'd consider the midfield rebuild complete if we got that done - Coquelin, Cazorla, Elneny and Rabiot would give us a solid group of defensive and holding midfielders to pick from, with a good mix of youth, experience and players approaching their best years. Haven't decided where Wilshere and Ramsey fit in yet, but they're a bonus that were can work out as we're going along...

The Emirates Gallactico
07-01-2016, 03:05 PM
If we do sign Rabiot in addition to Elneny, I think it's a signal that Wenger has finally given up on Jack.

Either shipped out in summer or relegated to a Diaby type status where any performance in a season from him is considered a bonus. Tbh as much I initially wanted Jack to succeed here, I'd be all for that happening right now. We can no longer afford to carry around perma-crocks if we want to challenge on multiple fronts.

LDG
07-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Gervinho anyone? OMFG, he was shite.

I am invisible
07-01-2016, 04:21 PM
If we do sign Rabiot in addition to Elneny, I think it's a signal that Wenger has finally given up on Jack.

Either shipped out in summer or relegated to a Diaby type status where any performance in a season from him is considered a bonus. Tbh as much I initially wanted Jack to succeed here, I'd be all for that happening right now. We can no longer afford to carry around perma-crocks if we want to challenge on multiple fronts.

I wouldn't say given up, but it would certainly be a sign that he's not prepared to wait around for him to get fit, and that he's not going to base any plans around him?

I still think Jack would be well worth persevering with though. As things currently stand, the lack of other options make him a big miss, but with a couple of reinforcements then it's a situation that we can easily indulge...

selassie
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM
:good:

I'd consider the midfield rebuild complete if we got that done - Coquelin, Cazorla, Elneny and Rabiot would give us a solid group of defensive and holding midfielders to pick from, with a good mix of youth, experience and players approaching their best years. Haven't decided where Wilshere and Ramsey fit in yet, but they're a bonus that were can work out as we're going along...

Yep me too, we'd have very nice options TBH. I think Ramsey & Wilshere may well be seen as versatile midfielders, I.E play on the wings, in the centre etc.

Competition for places would certainly be fierce.

Maestro
07-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Long day. Hearing at the Home Office with FA panellist complete, and now for the chasing for final decision ...approval and permit issue. You do have some mug admin bods @ that HO. Early start tomorrow and I'm still very much confident of wrapping this up by close of play tomorrow :good:

The Emirates Gallactico
07-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Long day. Hearing at the Home Office with FA panellist complete, and now for the chasing for final decision ...approval and permit issue. You do have some mug admin bods @ that HO. Early start tomorrow and I'm still very much confident of wrapping this up by close of play tomorrow :good:

Maestro :bow::bow::bow:

Maestro
07-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Were you also the one responsible for classfying Ryo as a special talent as well? :lol:

Anyway, look forward to hearing the outcome. GW's very own exclusive breaking news. :lol:

Oh don't mention Ryo, that case almost got me disbarred and crippled ...literally

Home Office flat out turned down Ryo's appeal as a "special talent", can't say I blame them but I needed the money and a highish profile case for my burgeoning career ....a step up to partnership in the firm, so I thought

After the appeal is rejected, young Ryo goes underground for a few days and I hear nothing from the client. Meanwhile I start noticing I'm being tailed all around town by a Kawasaki bike with a dodgy looking rider ...thought nothing of it then, until I realised that Ryo's agent had looked definitively Yakuza the one time I had met him. It dawns on me, he was relying on this deal going through so he could cash in on his young lamb.

Two weeks later Ryo resurfaces, clutching what he said was his grandmother's Dutch EU passport ...dodgy? ....as fuck it was. Phone rings and it's his agent, "Ryo can claim EU citizenship through ancestry via his nan, get permit done" he utters in slanted bloken Engrish. Sent through his paperwork with just the corporate signature and my name nowhere near the submission.

...resigned from the firm straight away, next weeks rags ....."Special Talent Ryo granted work permit and signs for Arsenal"

set up on my own since and business has been good, as I had managed to stay on Wenget's good books and o other clubs.

Kano
07-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Debuchy reportedly wants to leave. Villa and Roma interested.

He hasn't played for ages now and has he not been on the bench in recent weeks too? He's no spring chicken so he'll have one eye on the Euro's as it'll probably be his last one and of course it's at home.

Power n Glory
07-01-2016, 08:34 PM
He hasn't played for ages now and has he not been on the bench in recent weeks too? He's no spring chicken so he'll have one eye on the Euro's as it'll probably be his last one and of course it's at home.

We shouldn't sell him. We should put ourselves first. An injury to Bellerin leaves on Chambers for cover and he's not great at RB plus could be needed for CB.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Rabiot's mum is flying over?

Wenger has moved on quickly.

fakeyank
07-01-2016, 09:40 PM
We shouldn't sell him. We should put ourselves first. An injury to Bellerin leaves on Chambers for cover and he's not great at RB plus could be needed for CB.

Play him in the FA Cup. I wouldnt let him go with Chambers as back up! :sick:

Globalgunner
07-01-2016, 10:22 PM

Play him in the FA Cup. I wouldnt let him go with Chambers as back up! :sick:

Do not forget we have Jenkinson at West Ham who can do a job(poor one albeit) there. We can call him back if need be.

fakeyank
07-01-2016, 11:39 PM
Do we have to call him back within this month? Or can it be any time before the season ends? Besides, I think we will need both Hammers and us to cancel the loan deal. Dont think they will want to lose him in the last few months of the season.

Power n Glory
08-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Aubameyang has declared he doesn't want to join us and won't be leaving Dortmund anytime soon.

We've apparently opened contract talks with Campbell. Also, Ox had been linked with Chelsea as a replacement for Hazard. :lol:

Kano
08-01-2016, 05:22 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10122372/arsenal-target-pierre-emerick-aubameyang-staying-at-borussia-dortmund

Time to move onto the next stupid rumour.

Özim
08-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Aubameyang has declared he doesn't want to join us and won't be leaving Dortmund anytime soon.

We've apparently opened contract talks with Campbell. Also, Ox had been linked with Chelsea as a replacement for Hazard. :lol:

Wenger was ready to let Campbell leave in favour of toothless chumps like Wellbeck, lucky they got injured and Campbell got his chance to prove what he can do or Wenger would have let another potentially go, just like he nearly did with Coquelin.

Letters
09-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Wow. Now you're having a go at Wenger for stuff you think he would have done if... :lol:

Gooner23
09-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Yeah some of the criticism is ridiculous, I'm glad Campbell has taken his chance but he showed nothing until now he was really good enough. Even Coquelin had very underwhelming loan spells away. It's like criticising him for considering signing Deeney, which was definitely a bull shit tabloid rumour.

Globalgunner
09-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Yeah some of the criticism is ridiculous, I'm glad Campbell has taken his chance but he showed nothing until now he was really good enough. Even Coquelin had very underwhelming loan spells away. It's like criticising him for considering signing Deeney, which was definitely a bull shit tabloid rumour.

Nope a friend told me he defo saw Wenger at Deeneys house last week. It was the 20kpw that we offered which put Troy off.

Özim
09-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Not really Campbell was brilliant for Olympiakos, so he'd shown his quality already IMO, if the guy who manages him doesn't see it, he shouldn't be manager.

Campbell and Coquelin working out for him are due to luck more than judgment.

Thierrymon
10-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Rumours suggesting Monreal has signed a new contract until 2019. Great news if true.

AFC Leveller
10-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Not Arsenal related but Benik Afobe is on his way to Bournemouth as it looks like Wolves have accepted a bid of 10M.

Power n Glory
10-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Wenger was ready to let Campbell leave in favour of toothless chumps like Wellbeck, lucky they got injured and Campbell got his chance to prove what he can do or Wenger would have let another potentially go, just like he nearly did with Coquelin.

It was a close call for Campbell. I think if he really kicked up a fuss about wanting to leave, we'd have sold. But let's not speculate on what could have happened behind closed doors. The fact remains that Wenger preferred to play non wingers like Ramsey and Welbeck to Campbell and that's what's frustrating. Good to see he's showing what he can do but I thought he showed enough during the World Cup to be honest. Also, I don't know why people comment on a players loan spell unless they've been following said player. I had the same debate with someone when they said Coquelin wasn't good enough before seeing him play for us and we had loaned him out.

I am invisible
10-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Don't really see the problem with Canpbell's route to the first team? Couldn't get a work permit for him until the summer before the 14/15 season, so he had to go out on loan. Then he spent pre-season with us and got a couple of chances, but didn't look ready, so we sent him to Villareal. Then he came back again this summer, and now he looks ready, so he's in. Sure, he's had to wait behind other players for his chance this season, but that's not uncommon or unreasonable - can't we just leave it at saying well done to the lad for taking his chance when it came?

Power n Glory
10-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Don't really see the problem with Canpbell's route to the first team? Couldn't get a work permit for him until the summer before the 14/15 season, so he had to go out on loan. Then he spent pre-season with us and got a couple of chances, but didn't look ready, so we sent him to Villareal. Then he came back again this summer, and now he looks ready, so he's in. Sure, he's had to wait behind other players for his chance this season, but that's not uncommon or unreasonable - can't we just leave it at saying well done to the lad for taking his chance when it came?

I think that's fine if it's Ox or Walcott keeping him on the bench. But it's ridiculous to play Ramsey on the wing over him. That's something I can't understand.