PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe?

Letters
22-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Well...are you starting to believe we can win the title?
I'm cautiously optimistic. I've listed endlessly the things I see which give me hope, but acknowledge we've been here before.
Results like last night are a good sign though.

GP
22-12-2015, 09:41 AM
It's coming home!

Kano
22-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Definitely. Started out the season very critical of Wenger and the squad but they've mostly proven me wrong so far.

The big change from the past couple of seasons is our record against the teams around us, and not just the top 4. One defeat against the top ten sides, six wins, shows that we're improving where it matters.

Marc Overmars
22-12-2015, 09:52 AM
I believe we have every chance. I think how we've dealt with the mass of injuries is testament to how strong our squad is this year, not that you'll hear any cunt on TV say it. Though you do fear an injury to Ozil or even Giroud in this form could be enough to cause more than just a wobble. We need these guys fit and firing every game.

I genuinely think if we overcome the hurdle of the Spring, where we've faltered in the past, we will go on to win it. We have some big and most importantly reliable players now that can pull us over the line.

GP
22-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Peter Cech, man.

What a signing.

Letters
22-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Peter Cech, man.

What a signing.

:gp:

Yeah. Loads of games where we've got a win or draw and we'd have lost last year. It's made such a difference.

Kano
22-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Too much Chelsea in him for me to take Cech to heart as an Arsenal player but completely respect his professionalism and how much he's added to our team.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I believe we can win the title

I think we SHOULD win the title

Do I think we will?. Still too early for me, we are just about the favourites I think. In January we have Stoke and Liverpool away and Chelsea at home, if we are top of the league on February 1st then I think we will be champions

Letters
22-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Why 'Should'?

GP
22-12-2015, 11:01 AM
https://streamable.com/we43

:haha:

Bumble
22-12-2015, 01:06 PM
I would actually have us as favourites now for the title. it is definitely ours to lose. we are the most settled side.
Liverpool and Chelsea new managers, United and City have managers who probably wont be there next season. Leicester will fall away at some point, they don't have the depth if Vardy/Mahrez get injured. Spurs probably have the best manager they have had in years but they are Spurs and will do Spurs things when it really matters.

I suppose the only issue could be the fact we have played United, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and City all at home and only the Chavs away.

But I do believe.

IBK
22-12-2015, 01:31 PM
I want to believe, but belief is something that has been encouraged many times over the past few seasons - only for us to have been left feeling let down when the familiar failings have crept in. This team has put in title winning half seasons a few times before, and still has to earn the benefit of the doubt. That said, I admire the way the team has responded to the loss of several key players, and we can now go into our next games with the hope, if not necessarily the belief that our form will continue - which is a good start.

Letters
22-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Doubts will remain until we actually go and do it, but results like last night encourage me. Giroud is criticised by Arsenal fans because he's not Henry and it's true he's not at the level of a striker who can almost single handedly win you a title but his record this season is good and players like Ozil and Sanchez can win you the league - we haven't had them on previous occasions.
I believe we have the squad and mental strength to win the league, it's the endless injuries that could cost us.

Letters
22-12-2015, 02:08 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35157342

:sick:

We could actually do it, you know.

Özil's Panoramic View
22-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Letters woz rite all along. :faint: Maybe not so much about Wenger, but more on those back to back FA Cup wins giving our lot the desire, drive and bit of fortitude to go for the league title this season.

I'm starting to believe again, even more than I did 2 seasons ago. Better to be on the hopeful, optimistic side than be a miserable git all the days of my life I reckon. If hope comes crashing down again, the same emotional investment will remain, meaning I'll still be supporting the club, so absolutely nothing to lose if I've been had once more.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Why 'Should'?

Because Man City are all over the shop, United are listless in attack and Chelsea are no where

We are in a season where our oponents are currently weak and if we have the balls and the attitude we can leave them for dead.

For me this is no more excuses time, the title is there for the taking if Wenger does the right things

Letters
22-12-2015, 03:08 PM
I think 'should' is pushing it but I do think we have a good chance this year.
I don't know if 'Letters woz rite', but Letters does feel a bit vindicated so far, I thought we'd be in the title mix this year and so far, we are.
Whether we stay there...well, that remains to be seen. I've endlessly listed the positive signs I've seen over the last couple of years which give me some hope but they have to go and do it and until they do doubts will remain.

Heisenberg
22-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Hard to say yes because of all the false dawns over the last few years. Hope I'm wrong though

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-12-2015, 03:38 PM
No I don't think Should is pushing it, if we fail to win the title it's because we capitulated. Man City may have the strongest squad but we were without two key players last night and we beat them....you can say they played poorly if you like but we are four points in front of them which means as they are our title rivals (unless you realistically expect Leicester not to drop off) it's incumbent on us to do the business in our fixtures.
It's very much in our own hands and because the Favourites are dead and buried and because City are erratic we are in the driving seat, we aren't minnows we have guaranteed our long term financial stability and in Sanchez and Ozil we have two players who could walk in to almost any other side in the world (we may be saying the same of Bellerin in the next year).

We Should win the title because we have put ourselves in the position, we can beat anyone in this league on our day....so that should be the expectancy.

Power n Glory
22-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Because Man City are all over the shop, United are listless in attack and Chelsea are no where

We are in a season where our oponents are currently weak and if we have the balls and the attitude we can leave them for dead.

For me this is no more excuses time, the title is there for the taking if Wenger does the right things

Not very far from the season where Fergie stepped down and Moyes was in charge. We had a real opportunity that season. We had the money, we had plenty of time, the most stable team....could have been looking at a double.

Özim
22-12-2015, 07:05 PM
I don't believe at the moment, great result yesterday however we've done it in the less important part of the season where there's still plenty of time to catchup, if we do it again in a few months when there's more pressure then I'll believe.

Japan Shaking All Over
22-12-2015, 07:07 PM
I do......the team are on a massive high.....Cech has brought stability and calm which have allowed others to do their thing i.e Ozil who has been great after being allowed to play in his natural position. We should fear no-one and kick on from here!

The Emirates Gallactico
22-12-2015, 07:10 PM
I think with everyone else struggling the only thing that can stop us is more injuries. Ozil in particular is irreplaceable and god forbid something happens to him.

Japan Shaking All Over
22-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Agreed and as long as our next game against Pulis's thugs is a while yet, he should be ok

Özim
22-12-2015, 07:12 PM
We're halfway through the season, we've been in this position before and then it went wrong from February onwards so I'm very cautious, Man City can only get better as they've been pretty average so far, there's a long way to go and historically the latter part of the season when injuries and tiredness kick in is when it's make or break.

Kano
22-12-2015, 08:17 PM
I think we have to accept that at some point Ozil's ridiculous form is going to drop off at some point, either through fatigue or a normal drop in level. Extremely rare that a player keeps it up for a full season. With Cazorla out it begs the question of who could step up to become that man. Sanchez perhaps, Ramsey maybe, as he was tried away at Newcastle early in the season. If things continue as they are then it's fair to say that section of the season where our main creative hub isn't so reliable will be extremely tight, a lot will depend on our defensive attitude and squeezing out vital one goal wins to keep us ticking over.

Power n Glory
22-12-2015, 08:46 PM
We have been hear before and for me everything hangs on what we do in the January transfer window. Besides a boost in numbers, I think I think it will give the team a psychological edge. Too many times we've seen the team look totally sapped of confidence and belief once that window closes. It shouldn't be hard to believe we can win the league when you look at what's going on around us. The question is do you believe we won't shoot ourselves in the foot like we normally do. IMO it all hangs on what we do in January.

fakeyank
22-12-2015, 08:53 PM
I wont believe till we are out of February on top or within a couple of points off the top. While I believe that our mentality has gotten better over the past few seasons, our injuries are just horrible and I am very wary how we will deal with anymore injuries to major players. Add the fact that it is 99% likely that AW will not sign anyone noteworthy in January and my belief is not there yet.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 09:20 PM
If we do what is necessary in the transfer window and if somehow we can get a handle on the ludicrous injury situation (last year it really looked like we were coming out of those woods but here we are again) and if Wenger can somehow rekindle that desire to win that he used to have then we have the players to win this title. But I always believed that anyway. Just like I have believed it in several seasons over the last 10 years. The weak point is Wenger though and we can all get swept away and sweep this away in the process but the fact remains (with nothing so far evident to dispel it) Wenger is overcautious.

Overcautious in the transfer window and overcautious on the pitch. His silly substitutions yesterday could have cost us that game. I understand what he was trying to do but that's not what we need. It's pointless for Arsenal to be trying to wrap players in wool because they end up getting injured anyway, just use who you have, find your favoured team and then rotate the squad properly when necessary. Don't disrespect opponents by changing the whole bloody team. Stop pretending we are good at closing games out because we aren't. The defence has done great so far this year, trust them for the 90 minutes rather than give them more to do by wiping out the attacking threat and the capability of the midfield to retain possession (best form of defence) with those stupid, negative, fearful substitutions.

It's not the fans or even the players who need to believe, it's Wenger. He needs to dig in his pocket come January and then play this squad to its strengths all the way to May and see how the chips fall. Time for the Wenger of old to re-emerge. Fuck the finances and GPS vests and mollycoddling the players, there's a title up for grabs here so go and get it FFS.

Great result versus the gypos but an even bigger test comes on the 26th. Win that one playing to our strengths and then blast through a series of fixtures that we really should be taking maximum points from. Keep the pressure on our rivals, control this league. It's there to be controlled and taken and while our closest rivals are down now is the time to take advantage and build the gap. And then, of course, we have to avoid the mental collapse that has plagued us in the past. Plenty still to do but it is all achievable if we have a leader that fancies it.

Letters
22-12-2015, 09:59 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jeremy-corbyn-reveals-arsene-wenger-7057960

It's on!

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Corbyn and Wenger - the good guys against a sea of shit. We really, really need to win this title at the expense of the Russian gangsters and the Arab human rights abusers. And Corbyn really, really needs to win the next election at the expense of the fascist, pig-fucking cunts.

Coney
22-12-2015, 10:11 PM
I believe we can. Lots of games to go but at the moment, no-one is playing convincingly and consistently enough to be running away from us. I don't think Leicester will win the title but they might just hold on to 4th if others do not start performing better. Atm it looks like us and Citeh to fight for it. Manu are not a likely challenge and they are only as high as they are by a number of very lucky and undeserved wins. It is for us to throw it away. I certainly think AW needs to buy another striker this winter and if he can pull off a surprise big buy, I think that will be enough to let us cruise to the title, given the opposition who all seem disorganised and/or lacking in confidence. This has to be our best chance and we have to take it because next year will likely be difficult if the likes of Pep go to Citeh with their budget.

selassie
22-12-2015, 10:16 PM
I think we are good enough to win it this season but I still remain very skeptical, we have been here before a few times in the past 5 or 6 years so our current position isn't entirely new. The difference this season is that you could argue we only have one real strong challenger in City, it's no slur on Leicester, but I honestly don't think they will keep it up, I do think they are good enough to finish top 4 though.

The other challengers such as the Spuds & United are inferior teams IMO and we should finish above them regardless, though I don't think we can discount either team yet from mounting a credible challenge.

My concerns for us this season are mainly injuries....we have coped very well without a host of players up until now but we can't expect to maintain high levels with a threadbare squad, we also can't realistically expect no more injuries or no dips in performance if we run the current XI into the ground. At the very least we need Sanchez, Wilshere, Welbeck & Arteta back right now, the first two to add real quality to the first XI and the latter two to add depth to the squad.

We also need to buy in the January window if we are serious about maintaining a credible push for the title, we need a DM and if it means we have to pay over the odds then so be it.

Finally, we have played most of our big games at home so far this season, in the 2nd half of the season we need to travel to City, United, Spurs & Liverpool. We also have tough away games at Everton & Stoke.

I think we can win the title but won't be getting excited until we are challenging deep into the season, I still don't fully trust this team.

Letters
22-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Stop pretending we are good at closing games out because we aren't.
You say that, but we haven't let a lead slip late in the game this season. A few years ago we seemed to do it regularly.
That said I don't like us going defensive, but I don't think it's true to say we're not good at it these days.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 10:40 PM
You say that, but we haven't let a lead slip late in the game this season. A few years ago we seemed to do it regularly.
That said I don't like us going defensive, but I don't think it's true to say we're not good at it these days.

We're better at it than we were because we have a much better keeper and much improved defenders. But still, why heap the extra pressure on them? No need for it.

Letters
22-12-2015, 10:47 PM
We're better at it than we were because we have a much better keeper and much improved defenders. But still, why heap the extra pressure on them? No need for it.

Isn't it a response to previous seasons when we've gone for the killer goal in tight games, got caught on the break and ended up losing points?
I don't like it, but it's something we've definitely become better at.

Niall_Quinn
22-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Isn't it a response to previous seasons when we've gone for the killer goal in tight games, got caught on the break and ended up losing points?
I don't like it, but it's something we've definitely become better at.

An over-response. When we took Ozil and Theo off yesterday we lost the counter-attacking ability to hit a team chasing two goals and not only did that pull our teeth it also gave the opponent an easier ride. I don't get that. Counter-attacking is historically what we do and what an excellent position to play that game from, two goals to the good. If you want to tighten up then get Ramsey to play with a bit more discipline.

Marc Overmars
22-12-2015, 11:06 PM
I think we've actually become quite adept at seeing games out. Last night admittedly wasn't a good example because the subs weren't needed and we ended up losing control and momentum, but think of all those narrow single goal victories we've had in the past 18 months or so. The numbers stack up as well, our defensive record has improved a lot and it's probably the biggest reason we are able to challenge. We're certainly not as careless as we used to be.

The Emirates Gallactico
23-12-2015, 02:17 AM
With regards to taking Ozil off, whilst it did have a noticeable negative on our control of the game, it was the right decision. Not because of any injury threat, but because of fatigue.

The guy has played in nearly every game for us this season and really hasn't had any sort of extended break. The last thing we need is to push him into the redzone with the fixtures we have coming up.

Right call for sure and the team did enough to bring it home.

I wont believe till we are out of February on top or within a couple of points off the top. While I believe that our mentality has gotten better over the past few seasons, our injuries are just horrible and I am very wary how we will deal with anymore injuries to major players. Add the fact that it is 99% likely that AW will not sign anyone noteworthy in January and my belief is not there yet.

Was listening to the Arsecast Extra today and apparently Wenger did an interview with Keys & Grey on BEIN sports after the game where he all but admitted that he had transfer targets lined up to go as the physical demands of the upcoming games would take it's toll on the squad and they were streched already. Also made a joke about revealing them downstairs at the bar instead of in front of the camera as well.

I'm actually quietly confident that we'll do some business this window. Whether it'll be the right business will remain to be seen though.

Bumble
23-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Corbyn and Wenger - the good guys against a sea of shit. We really, really need to win this title at the expense of the Russian gangsters and the Arab human rights abusers. And Corbyn really, really needs to win the next election at the expense of the fascist, pig-fucking cunts.

haha corbyn... he will destroy the country.

if we don't win the league this season then we wont under Wenger. everything is working in our favour. Chelsea have imploded, Liverpool have a new manager that needs to settle in. United and City have managers that are dead men walking.

we have a settled team. we might have had a lot of injuries but so have other teams and up until the Coq and Caz injuries we were still effectively playing with 10 of our first choice 11 players. As the injuries were pretty much concentrated to right wing.

I am going to say it. We will win the league.

Letters
23-12-2015, 09:38 AM
We're halfway through the season, we've been in this position before and then it went wrong from February onwards so I'm very cautious, Man City can only get better as they've been pretty average so far, there's a long way to go and historically the latter part of the season when injuries and tiredness kick in is when it's make or break.

I actually agree with this, but given the early season wailing and gnashing of teeth I think we're sitting quite pretty right now.
The difference I see this time from previous times when we've been in similar positions is players like Ozil, Sanchez & Cech. Those are players who can win you a title. And the results against the Manchester sides is encouraging - both at home, but encouraging results in 6 pointer games we have traditionally messed up.

I don't agree with people saying we can only win the league if we sign in January but it would push us on. Even without signings I think we have a chance but we will be more at the mercy of injuries and we all know what our record is like there. A long term injury to people like Ozil or Sanchez could stuff it up for us.

Power n Glory
23-12-2015, 10:13 AM
A long term injury to people like Ozil or Sanchez could stuff it up for us.

That's a risk we shouldn't be taking. We have to watch for injuries and fatigue.

‘Yes, we are short and the number of games we have to play in January are very important,’ he told BeIN Sport.

‘God knows how we will come out of the Christmas period, with a lot of demand on the physical front so we need to do something.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/21/arsene-wenger-says-arsenal-will-make-january-transfers-and-that-he-knows-who-he-will-target-5577696/

If our season some how falls apart because of injuries and fatigue, he'd have a hard time justifying not buying after stating the above. He knows what we need to do and I just want to see him follow through.

Ollie the Optimist
23-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Its not whether we as fans believe, although at the emirates on monday there did seem to be the feeling of hope spreading around.

Its about whether the players believe and i think they do. We have serial winners in the squad who have been there and done that. Cech, Ozil, Sanchez have all won the big trophies, Mertesacker is a world cup winner too. The rest of the squad have won back to back trophies and got used to the feeling of winning. Two years ago when we were top, there was a feeling that we didnt belong there, the players looked unsure too but not now. They know they deserve to be there this time and they ahve been beating the big teams. One thing that Wenger does is unite the team together, the team spirit is incredible, they all seem to fight for each other, Giroud flying into last ditch tackles in the area, theo charging back to cover Bellerin etc. They play as a team and cover each other. Theo said after monday they were disappointed to concede as it meant they stopped Cech getting the record. They are seem to care for each other and that will help us massively. The other person they all care about is Wenger. You only have to listen to what they say about him to know that they want to win for him.

Two years ago we all never really believed, we hadnt performed in the big games so doubts were there but this year we have. In 2015 as a whole, we have lost one big game out of 8 in the league. We beat City both home and away, thrashed liverpool and united at home, drew with them as well and lost to mike dean/chelsea (although beat them in the shield. not a major game but a good statement to start on). Against chelsea, united, city, liverpool in the league in 2015 its Played 8, won 4, drawn 3 lost 1 which is much better. Two of those wins were thrashings of our rivals. It will have strengthened the teams belief massively and also in Wenger as he got his tactics spot on. These games give the players belief that we not only belong with the top teams but that we can beat them and win. Even while others are struggling against leicester, palace and watford, we beat all three away comfortably.

selassie
23-12-2015, 11:50 AM
That's a risk we shouldn't be taking. We have to watch for injuries and fatigue.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/21/arsene-wenger-says-arsenal-will-make-january-transfers-and-that-he-knows-who-he-will-target-5577696/

If our season some how falls apart because of injuries and fatigue, he'd have a hard time justifying not buying after stating the above. He knows what we need to do and I just want to see him follow through.

Yep, to be fair to Wenger sounds quite confident he's going to strengthen the squad, I wonder if he already has deals lined up?

Özim
23-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Yep, to be fair to Wenger sounds quite confident he's going to strengthen the squad, I wonder if he already has deals lined up?

I hope this is true, it would make all the difference for me if we made a couple quality additions, if we fail to (as we have so often before) I reckon it'll cost us our chance of the title.

selassie
23-12-2015, 12:48 PM
I hope this is true, it would make all the difference for me if we made a couple quality additions, if we fail to (as we have so often before) I reckon it'll cost us our chance of the title.

Yep, think if we don't strengthen then we can wave goodbye to the title. I read that Arteta, Flams & Rosicky are not getting extended so he might aswell strengthen midfield now, he's going to need to add bodies in the summer anyway.

WMUG
23-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Wasn't the reason Özil was taken off that he was ill? :unsure:

GP
23-12-2015, 12:50 PM
New signings unveiled.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CW6QW6DWQAAEnL8.jpg

Ollie the Optimist
23-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Wasn't the reason Özil was taken off that he was ill? :unsure:

apparently he had been ill all week and trained just the once.

Still MOTM.

Ozil is quite good at football really

Letters
23-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Its not whether we as fans believe, although at the emirates on monday there did seem to be the feeling of hope spreading around.
Its about whether the players believe and i think they do.
That is a good point :good:

I think so too.

A Gunner
24-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Plus Wenger not making "right" substitution is nothing new, it used to be Cygan for all seasons...

Niall_Quinn
24-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Guys please. The players are in it for the cash. Sorry, but they'll tell you the same themselves and so would their agents - provided you paid them per answer. It's up to the club to add that little bit extra beyond the money. The history, the prestige, the desire, the expectation, the ambition. And the fans. Players come and go and if they can step beyond that cash for a period and deliver everything they have, then they become legends. The club and the fans are here always. It's up to the players to perform as professionals. It's up to our manager to make the magic, the guy who used to wear the magic hat. I hope somebody gives him another one for Christmas.

Xhaka Can’t
24-12-2015, 09:45 AM
The first team to find a level of consistency in their play will likely win the title. I therefore think we do have a chance. We are ironically in a good position to do that because with the exception of Tottenham, we are the only one amongst the Clubs with big resources with a secure manager in place and consequently have more stability than most.

Where we do suffer most is when we take up poll position. We react or have reacted with incredible fragility in the past whenever we have landed ourselves in the position of pace setters when it counts. Without being too disrespectful to Leicester, it is in our interests for them to continue their run for a good while yet. They could effectively act as our pace setter in the league.

Hopefully, Leicester's run will continue this long enough for us to get an unassailable lead from the rest.

Munchies
25-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Yeah.

Our back 4 is solid and Ozil is in the form of his life.

Throw in our injured players IF they get fit too.

Let's hope nothing happens to Feo/Giroud

Chippy
26-12-2015, 09:15 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. I've listed endlessly the things I see which give me hope, but acknowledge we've been here before.
Southampton 3 Arsenal 0 so far. So no fucking chance. Wenger said he was right not buying strikers? Oh really?

Marc Overmars
26-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Long way to go, but we're going to have some lame ass champions this year, whoever wins it.

Chippy
26-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Long way to go, but we're going to have some lame ass champions this year, whoever wins it.
Agree! However, Wenger could have made it easier by buying a few decent players FFS.

selassie
26-12-2015, 09:41 PM
after watching that tonight & seeing who we have to play away in the remainder of our fixtures this season it worries me.

Letters
26-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Southampton 3 Arsenal 0 so far. So no fucking chance. Wenger said he was right not buying strikers? Oh really?

:lol: Yep. Tonight was the decider. No chance now.

Letters
26-12-2015, 09:43 PM

No-one wants to win it this year.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-12-2015, 09:45 PM
All of the top three have conceded at least four in a game this season now. :lol:

Letters
26-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Stupid thing is with the next round of games we could still be top at the turn of the year.
Weird season, this :wacko:

adzzzbatch
26-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Go us! :trophy:

Özil's Panoramic View
26-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Same old Arsenal.

Choke whenever a chance to grab the reins presents itself.

Oh well, back to being a miserable git I reckon.

Wenger Out!

Munchies
26-12-2015, 09:59 PM
can i change my vote to No now?

Chippy
27-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Letters, should we remove this post until April? People like me will only moan on this post after each defeat!

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 12:29 AM
I said no, I don't believe any of it for a second. I'd now also like to add, Wenger out. I know he won't be out due to the board. Therefore I would like to say Kroenke out.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-12-2015, 08:34 AM
If we balls it up against Bournemouth and/or Newcastle then I am more inclined to say no.

We've already put in a rancid performance on a must win game.

KSE Comedy Club
28-12-2015, 08:41 AM
I see there is still time for Wenger to fuck things up and piss on all the positive optimism.

Fucking Elneny.... :sulk:

Letters
28-12-2015, 09:03 AM
If we balls it up against Bournemouth and/or Newcastle then I am more inclined to say no.

It wasn't a must win game. No more so than the City one. In the league there are no must win games till near the end. Some games are more important than others, and we should have won and gone top but had we done so many would no doubt be just claiming we wouldn't stay there anyway. For now so long as we stay in the mix I'll believe we have a chance. We can't afford many more performances like the Southampton one but right now no-one is performing consistently, we're still above the other teams who are credible contenders.

Power n Glory
28-12-2015, 10:34 AM

It's a tough run after those two games. We need to get back to winning ways and really step it up Jan and Feb.

Liverpool - away
Stoke - away
Chelsea - home
Southampton - home
Bournemouth - away
Leicester City - home
Man Utd - away

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 10:34 AM
It wasn't a must win game. No more so than the City one.

This is why people laugh at you.

Letters
28-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Elaborate.

This is why you're little more than a WUM. No debate, no argument, no attempt to deal with what I said. Boring.

A knockout cup game is a must win. A league game towards the end to keep you in the title hunt is a must win. A league game half way through the season is not. We'd have gone top but being top half way through the season is meaningless unless we stay there.

Power n Glory
28-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Elaborate.

This is why you're little more than a WUM. No debate, no argument, no attempt to deal with what I said. Boring.

A knockout cup game is a must win. A league game towards the end to keep you in the title hunt is a must win. A league game half way through the season is not. We'd have gone top but being top half way through the season is meaningless unless we stay there.

An opportunity to go top of the table wasn't a must win game?

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 10:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=055wFyO6gag

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 10:46 AM

Wenger's (and therefore Letters') response:

'Personally at this stage of the season I don't give too much importance to going top,'

Letters
28-12-2015, 11:41 AM
It depends when in the season the game occurs.
It was an unacceptable result but losing doesn't put us out of the title race so in that sense it wasn't must win in the same way the Olympiacos one was.
If the game is in the last 5 of a league season then I'd agree it's a must win, right now not so much as there's plenty of time to put it right, starting this afternoon.
Even if we do go top today and other results go for us and we stay there, does that show anything? We still have to stay there and be there in May.

The quote NQ is mocking is exactly the same sort of thing I've seen him say previously, we should have gone top on Boxing Day but failure to do so isn't terminal to our title aspirations. A bad result today wouldn't be either but losing 2 'easy' games on the bounce would not be a very good sign.

Power n Glory
28-12-2015, 12:14 PM
It depends when in the season the game occurs.
It was an unacceptable result but losing doesn't put us out of the title race so in that sense it wasn't must win in the same way the Olympiacos one was.
If the game is in the last 5 of a league season then I'd agree it's a must win, right now not so much as there's plenty of time to put it right, starting this afternoon.
Even if we do go top today and other results go for us and we stay there, does that show anything? We still have to stay there and be there in May.

The quote NQ is mocking is exactly the same sort of thing I've seen him say previously, we should have gone top on Boxing Day but failure to do so isn't terminal to our title aspirations. A bad result today wouldn't be either but losing 2 'easy' games on the bounce would not be a very good sign.

Agreed. A bad result today doesn't end our title run but you can't be surprised by the lack of faith seen on here when we fail to seize on an opportunity. It's why people have no faith in the manager at this point. Reaccuring patterns from past seasons. You understand why I keep saying the big games like City can't be counted as a measure of progress. The odd big game isn't the measure. Consistency is the measure and constantly answering the call when questions are asked of our mentality and ability to win the league. That's the only way people will believe. Right now, it's the luck of draw that has us still in the mix. That doesn't fill me with much belief. A marginal improvement after the huge cash injection isn't good enough.

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Of course people are mocking the 10th time around on the same old excuses shovelled out by Wenger, Ty and yourself Letters. You keep trying to sell the future with a plea to ignore the past. It's handy because then you don't need consistency, momentum, progress - just a string of results assembled in any old skin of the teeth, haphazard fashion will do. Nothing to build on but enough to keep Wenger's under-performing arse in the seat.

That result yesterday wasn't unacceptable AT ALL. Wenger has dished up shit like that on so many occasions now and yet he's not sacked. So the result is indeed acceptable. It would only be unacceptable if the cash cow stopped giving milk. That's the criteria. That's why Wenger is still here and for some reason a large part of the fan base seems to believe that's great news. Beggars belief really.

selassie
28-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Of course people are mocking the 10th time around on the same old excuses shovelled out by Wenger, Ty and yourself Letters. You keep trying to sell the future with a plea to ignore the past. It's handy because then you don't need consistency, momentum, progress - just a string of results assembled in any old skin of the teeth, haphazard fashion will do. Nothing to build on but enough to keep Wenger's under-performing arse in the seat.

That result yesterday wasn't unacceptable AT ALL. Wenger has dished up shit like that on so many occasions now and yet he's not sacked. So the result is indeed acceptable. It would only be unacceptable if the cash cow stopped giving milk. That's the criteria. That's why Wenger is still here and for some reason a large part of the fan base seems to believe that's great news. Beggars belief really.

This! For every City & United result there's a Southampton lurking in the corner, we'll get tonked again this season because it's how Wenger's teams roll. Our upcoming away schedule is brutal too.

Kano
28-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Can I vote yes twice?

Özim
28-12-2015, 02:42 PM
No

Maestro
28-12-2015, 03:23 PM
My belief took little bit hit, can I vote again please?

Letters
29-12-2015, 10:57 PM
It's coming home :bow:

Marc Overmars
30-12-2015, 12:14 AM
We'll do well to remain top throughout January given our fixtures. Liverpool and Stoke away followed by Chelsea at home. Big month ahead.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Hmmm...doesn't look good.

You got me thinking so I checked and Leicester have Bournemouth(H), Spurs(A), Villa(A) and Stoke(H).

Then in Feb they have Liverpool(H), City(A) Us(A) and Norwich(H) so no easy pickings.

City have Watford(A), Everton(A), Norwich(A), Everton(H) Palace(H) and West Ham(A)......

I still think City are the main concern even with Kompany out and Aguero not scoring too many right now....

Letters
30-12-2015, 08:19 AM
We'll do well to remain top throughout January given our fixtures. Liverpool and Stoke away followed by Chelsea at home. Big month ahead.

I doubt we'll be top after all that, but the run in is #decent.
So long as we're in touch with 10 games left I reckon we've got a chance.

selassie
30-12-2015, 09:20 AM

If we got 6 out of a possible 9 from those games I'd bite your hand off. I think we'll lose one of those away games, most likely Stoke, Liverpool away is a tough one but I think we can pick up a point there, Chelsea at home is a funny one, in theory we should be winning that but I think they kind of have our number, that game could go either way.

One thing I will say is if Sanchez is back I'd be confident of picking up points in all those games.

selassie
30-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Hmmm...doesn't look good.

You got me thinking so I checked and Leicester have Bournemouth(H), Spurs(A), Villa(A) and Stoke(H).

Then in Feb they have Liverpool(H), City(A) Us(A) and Norwich(H) so no easy pickings.

City have Watford(A), Everton(A), Norwich(A), Everton(H) Palace(H) and West Ham(A)......

I still think City are the main concern even with Kompany out and Aguero not scoring too many right now....

I agree, though I think Leicester are definitely in the title race, they can't be ignored anymore, they have only lost twice and we're halfway through the season. Moreover their recent set of fixtures have been brutal and they've only lost once!

dostoy
31-12-2015, 10:48 AM
No I don't believe at all.

Wenger will find some way of cocking it up.

It was shocking to see us beaten 4 nil by Southampton the other day and we will not win the title without major investment in 'now' players in January.

We need Sanchez back and scoring as well as Giroud and Walcott and maybe even Wellbeck from March onwards to have any hope.

Letters
31-12-2015, 02:46 PM
If not us then who? City I'd say are the main contenders but they're not exactly consistent, evidenced by the fact that...well, we're ahead of them.

I'm not sure how relevant comparisons with other seasons when we've been in a similar position are - we never had players like Cech, Ozil and Sanchez before, those are players who can win you a league.

We've got a tough run coming up, if we can get through all that still in touch then I think we have a chance.

dostoy
31-12-2015, 03:41 PM
I don't believe at all.

We are not strong enough mentally to win it.

It won't happen under Wenger.

Letters
31-12-2015, 04:18 PM
We were mentally strong enough to win the FA Cup the last two years and right now we're top of the table.
If not us then who? No-one else is looking like an outstanding contender either.

dostoy
31-12-2015, 05:24 PM
The FA cup is completely different to the league, which is much much harder to win.

Man City will win it, I doubt we will even be second.

Wenger must go, but with Pep probably going to PSG and Ancelotti to Bayern, I don't know who I want to replace him.

Wenger will be here next season for sure and maybe until 2020.

There will be no PL or CL titles until after he leaves.

Globalgunner
31-12-2015, 05:31 PM
The FA cup is completely different to the league, which is much much harder to win.

Man City will win it, I doubt we will even be second.

Wenger must go, but with Pep probably going to PSG and Ancelotti to Bayern, I don't know who I want to replace him.

Wenger will be here next season for sure and maybe until 2020.

:lol:
Keep the faith man. We will all, mostly surely outlive the man. By the way did you know that 2 consecutive FA cups is equivalent to 1 PL trophy, 3 FA cups are as good as a CL.

fakeyank
31-12-2015, 05:40 PM
We were mentally strong enough to win the FA Cup the last two years and right now we're top of the table.
If not us then who? No-one else is looking like an outstanding contender either.

Liverpool :lol:

Arsenal has folded between February and March many times in the last decade... I guess it is normal to have apprehension among the fans about our title aspirations. Yes, we are first, just like how we were first for the most number of weeks 2 years back... its nothing new to us. What is different is having Sanchez, Ozil and Cech but we are one injury away from just having Cech. It is difficult to believe in this team 'right now'. Come March and we are in the same position and I'll believe.

Letters
31-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Of course it's different, but it answers questions about out mentality.
I agree City are likely champions if it's not to be us but you're too quick to write us off.

CL I agree. PL well, we'll see but he's done it before and we've got a squad good enough to challenge. We are so far so I think we have a chance. Let's see where we after after that run PnG mentioned above.

Letters
31-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Arsenal has folded between February and March many times in the last decade... I guess it is normal to have apprehension among the fans about our title aspirations. Yes, we are first, just like how we were first for the most number of weeks 2 years back... its nothing new to us. What is different is having Sanchez, Ozil and Cech but we are one injury away from just having Cech. It is difficult to believe in this team 'right now'. Come March and we are in the same position and I'll believe.
I think that's fair enough. We have been here before but we've never had 3 players like those 3 before. If we break them then we are screwed.

Bumble
04-01-2016, 01:14 PM
We will do it this year. Of all our rivals we are the most stable managerial wise and despite the injuries our back 5 has been more or less pretty consistent and think that makes a huge difference.

The Emirates Gallactico
04-01-2016, 01:28 PM
If we get through our upcoming set of horrendous fixtures in tack, I think we might just do it.

Wenger wants it, The team seem to want it, The fans really want it so it's just a question of being professional in all our games hereforthwith and doing whatever it takes to get the three points.

Marc Overmars
04-01-2016, 02:01 PM
It's there for the taking this year, if we don't win it I'm afraid it would need to be classed as a failure. We've got some top players now, the capability to beat the big teams and a couple trophies in the bag. 2 years ago we were perhaps punching above our weight but not anymore, no more excuses. We're better than or at least on par with teams around us now.

Letters
04-01-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't expect us to be top after those fixtures, we will drop points and other teams will probably take advantage of that.
So long as we're in touch though I think we've got a chance, we've got a decent run in.

selassie
04-01-2016, 03:00 PM
If we get through our upcoming set of horrendous fixtures in tack, I think we might just do it.

Wenger wants it, The team seem to want it, The fans really want it so it's just a question of being professional in all our games hereforthwith and doing whatever it takes to get the three points.

Me too, I think the key thing is keeping Cech, Ozil and Sanchez fit and also the return of Coquelin, I'm hoping it's mid next month. Keeping a relatively fit first choice 11 (don't laugh) would make me feel confident we can bring home the title.

Xhaka Can’t
04-01-2016, 08:53 PM
We are in control of our own destiny now and frankly, that worries me almost as much as fy attending the home match against Southampton.

We have however been the most consistent team over the past 12 months, so who knows?