PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Southampton

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 09:54 PM
:sick:

We were woeful and barely threatened their goal, but that was still an absolute freak result, aided by a pathetic referee, in a league which is senseless.

Shane Long will go into hibernation for a few months now, until he plays Arsenal, Germany or Brazil circa 1970 again.

Every team in this league is almost as inconsistent and flawed as the other. Watford for the title.

Xhaka Can’t
26-12-2015, 09:55 PM
The fource is with us.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

adzzzbatch
26-12-2015, 09:56 PM
:ilt:

McNamara That Ghost...
26-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Utter shite.

This league is full of play at 100mph sides and we're one of them (mostly).

It was a must win and we fucked it. It'd be nice to have a bench that can do something at some point though.

Marc Overmars
26-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Unbelievably poor result, particularly after the big win against City.

We have a quick opportunity to bounce back though as Leicester are playing City. If we don't beat Bournemouth then our mentality really ought to be questioned.

Come on Arsenal you fucking weirdos.

Kano
26-12-2015, 09:59 PM
I say we revert to Football Manager to generate the Prem results for the rest of the season. It's far more realistic than this nonsense.

Munchies
26-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Load of shit.

What else can we do, this will be our last and best chance at it with Wenger in charge of us.

rodders
26-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Arguably the most inept display under Wenger. No idea tactically when up against it

IBK
26-12-2015, 10:04 PM
This kind of performance in these circumstances is as typical to our team as qualifying for the CL. Which is why I am so sceptical as to whether there is has been any fundamental change in our team. Wenger was pwned tactically, and our players looked jaded, unfocussed and bereft of ideas. Very disheartening.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Shame the Barca game isn't this week.

They'd be in for a thrashing.

Power n Glory
26-12-2015, 10:08 PM
What pisses me off more so is the press run hot air from the camp about going for the title and handling pressure. Total bollocks.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Wenger was pwned tactically, and our players looked jaded, unfocussed and bereft of ideas. Very disheartening.

I don't think a hit-and-hope from a guy who hasn't played in 3 months, a clear foul in front of the referee in the lead up to the second goal and a non-corner leading to the third is a tactical problem. The lack of performance or response from any Arsenal player is certainly disheartening though.

Letters
26-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Oh Arsenal, you're such a tease.
Still think we'll probably end the year top but God alone know who is going to win the league.
Probably Leicester at this rate :shrug:

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:12 PM
What pisses me off more so is the press run hot air from the camp about going for the title and handling pressure. Total bollocks.

Why would you pay attention to that sort of thing, positive or negative?

All that matters is the 90 or so minutes on the pitch.

Chippy
26-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Arguably the most inept display under Wenger. No idea tactically when up against it
I called Wenger inept the other day and got slated. We never win the PL again with that twat.

IBK
26-12-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't think a hit-and-hope from a guy who hasn't played in 3 months, a clear foul in front of the referee in the lead up to the second goal and a non-corner leading to the third is a tactical problem. The lack of performance or response from any Arsenal player is certainly disheartening though.

Why is it that we always look to make excuses and focus on officiating injustices in these circumstances. The sad fact is that we had nothing to offer ourselves, and throughout Southampton were hungrier, more dominant and had an obvious game plan. On the run of play you cannot say they didn't deserve their 3 points, and at no point aftr any of their goals were we in, or in control of that game. It was a shambolic display.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Also, next time Koscielny wants to get involved in snidey games with a scrote, he should at least make it count because soft sissies Arsenal will never be allowed to come out on top against the honest hard men of the league who turn up for about three games a year and foul, scratch, punch, stab and cheat at will, aided and abetted by corrupt refs.

Power n Glory
26-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Why would you pay attention to that sort of thing, positive or negative?

All that matters is the 90 or so minutes on the pitch.

Why wouldn't you? Do you think it's mere lip service and the players go into a game mentally unprepared or is something psychological where they can't perform? It should be obvious the players know what's at stake. I'd like to know how we're able to get these totally contrasting performances in such a short space.

Letters
26-12-2015, 10:24 PM
I called Wenger inept the other day and got slated. We never win the PL again with that twat.

Well, obviously he's not inept, or a twat. But tonight's result was completely unacceptable.
Chances are we'll still finish the year top, but who knows will win the league. You can't write us off when all the other contenders are equally inconsistent.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Why is it that we always look to make excuses and focus on officiating injustices in these circumstances. The sad fact is that we had nothing to offer ourselves, and throughout Southampton were hungrier, more dominant and had an obvious game plan. On the run of play you cannot say they didn't deserve their 3 points, and at no point aftr any of their goals were we in, or in control of that game. It was a shambolic display.

Why is it that people cannot admit that the team was poor and at the same time point out that the officiating was dreadful? No-one is making excuses. It is possible to see things from multiple viewpoints, rather than the one which is clouded by emotion. Pointing out events which occurred on the pitch which affected the result is not making an excuse, it's pointing out events which occurred on the pitch. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Chippy
26-12-2015, 10:28 PM
The scum pissed all over them last week! We made them look good! I hear that Jose is available?

Xhaka Can’t
26-12-2015, 10:28 PM
You're a visionary and you'll never be appreciated in your time.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:33 PM

Speak for yourself.

Not sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Maestro
26-12-2015, 10:33 PM
My reaction ....thank god for a good bottle of brandy

Letters
26-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Not sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

:lol:

Power n Glory

IBK
Why is it that people cannot admit that the team was poor and at the same time point out that the officiating was dreadful? No-one is making excuses. It is possible to see things from multiple viewpoints, rather than the one which is clouded by emotion. Pointing out events which occurred on the pitch which affected the result is not making an excuse, it's pointing out events which occurred on the pitch. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Name me one match this season where there has not been some kind of officiating error. The 2 issues are not mutually exclusive of course, but in this case we did not lose because of clear cut refereeing fuck ups. I am happy to debate the marginal offside; whether or not Long's foul was deliberate and whether the linesman should have seen that the final ball did not come off Koscielny but for me this detracts from the essential issue which was that in typical Arsenal style we were not prepared for, and did not turn up for a key game that would have capitalised on the defeat of the team above us. If we had put in a match winning performance but been denied by shit officiating we could all have a good moan about the ref. But this was simply not the case.

Xhaka Can’t
26-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Name me one match this season where there has not been some kind of officiating error. The 2 issues are not mutually exclusive of course, but in this case we did not lose because of clear cut refereeing fuck ups. I am happy to debate the marginal offside; whether or not Long's foul was deliberate and whether the linesman should have seen that the final ball did not come off Koscielny but for me this detracts from the essential issue which was that in typical Arsenal style we were not prepared for, and did not turn up for a key game that would have capitalised on the defeat of the team above us. If we had put in a match winning performance but been denied by shit officiating we could all have a good moan about the ref. But this was simply not the case.
This.

There were dubious calls as there always are but this is hardly comparable to the match where our 49 game unbeaten run ended.

We were awful and Southampton were up for it.

The three points ended up in their rightful place tonight.

McNamara That Ghost...
26-12-2015, 10:41 PM
I hear that Jose is available?

Don't post that shit.

Master Splinter
26-12-2015, 10:42 PM

Me, and others on GW, regularly decry shit officiating. It has nothing to do with how it affects Arsenal or my mental state because my favourite team has lost. Referees are worse than they've ever been in this country. Once again., nothing to do with Arsenal-related disappointment. It's just observation and commentary on events that have been, just as regularly pointing Arsenal's deficiencies are. It's honestly quite simple.

hobson's choice
26-12-2015, 11:33 PM
For whatever weird reason we cant win at that stadium, didnt expect to get thumped like this. But they have a chance to sort it out on Monday.

Gubby Allen
26-12-2015, 11:37 PM
This.

There were dubious calls as there always are but this is hardly comparable to the match where our 49 game unbeaten run ended.

We were awful and Southampton were up for it.

The three points ended up in their rightful place tonight.

Indeed. The third goal looked like a corner to me, when I saw it. Van Dijks disallowed goal should've stood, he was onside. Even Longs disallowed goal was a bit of 50/50 with him and Merts, so four was about right. This was hardly the Newcastle 4-4 for bad decisions.

selassie
27-12-2015, 12:07 AM
That was a horror show tonight. I honestly have nothing to say about this team after that, really didn't see this result coming though was not massively surprised we dropped points. Defensively we were a mess tonight, honestly...i don't think I've seen Merts and Kos have such a poor game, they were both horrible, really horrible.

Midfield was bad too, both Ramsey & Flamini got bullied and badly. We also offered pretty much nothing going forward.

It was a horror show and I truly hope the team forget about it and move on to the next game.

Chippy
27-12-2015, 12:21 AM
Don't post that shit.
Why? That was tongue in cheek tbh, but we need a new Manager.

fakeyank
27-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Oh Arsenal, you're such a tease.
Still think we'll probably end the year top but God alone know who is going to win the league.
Probably Leicester at this rate :shrug:

Liverpool tbf :coffee:

Japan Shaking All Over
27-12-2015, 12:37 AM
Damm....that was not needed but not altogether a surprise......we find it difficult to get anything out of playing them there and teams always seem to find their feet again against us

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Predictable to the point of being a certainty.

Surprised at how easily the tactically inept bookkeeper has got off, plus the lumbering oaf he relies on almost as much as our opponents. From the first minute it was obvious how Southampton would play and who they would target. Obvious to all except the floundering bean counter who gets to prepare the team and send them out to play his pretty patterns. Time and again the oaf was exploited, this all sailed over the head of the bumbling fool though. Beat the gypos (despite the fool almost wrecking that effort with his crazed interventions) then watch our rivals drop points - so what's BOUND to happen next? What ALWAYS happens next? If only all of the 5 times the opponent had the ball in our net had been ruled out, then we'd have still blown it with a 0-0 draw. The joker in chief had all his excuses lined up when the rout was concluded, but he'll never answer the relevant questions. I hear he's going cheap again in the January window - "a younger version of Flamini" to plug the gap while we wait for the new signings Welbeck, Wilshere and Rosicky. This man should have been sacked years ago, but here he is, same old shit over and over and over again. Predictable to the point of being a certainty.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Based on the Arsenal twitter page from Arsenal.com, not a single Arsenal player has posted anything on Twitter.

Wenger bringing the hammer down. :bow:

Ernesto
27-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I think, all things considered, and once all excuses are made (stunning opening goal, laziness after playing as recently as Monday) it really was a shockingly unprofessional performance.

I can't remember the last time we were so soundly beaten in the league. At Everton, perhaps? A couple of years ago?

Wenger's to blame for not leading the players out correctly. You could see in the first 10 minutes that they had no real aspirations to win the game. After that it was all down to the players. Use your heads, play the game, chase the ball down. There wasn't a modicum of urgency shown. Disgusting.

Munchies
27-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Based on the Arsenal twitter page from Arsenal.com, not a single Arsenal player has posted anything on Twitter.

Wenger bringing the hammer down. :bow:

Hopefully they post on Monday

Marc Overmars
27-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I think, all things considered, and once all excuses are made (stunning opening goal, laziness after playing as recently as Monday) it really was a shockingly unprofessional performance.

I can't remember the last time we were so soundly beaten in the league. At Everton, perhaps? A couple of years ago?

Wenger's to blame for not leading the players out correctly. You could see in the first 10 minutes that they had no real aspirations to win the game. After that it was all down to the players. Use your heads, play the game, chase the ball down. There wasn't a modicum of urgency shown. Disgusting.

We did what we always do when in a position of ascendency. Got a nose bleed and fell flat on our faces.

God help this lot if they don't beat Bournemouth.

Munchies
27-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Arsenal haven't won after trailing at half-time in the Premier League since October 2011

:doh:

Marc Overmars
27-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Arsenal haven't won after trailing at half-time in the Premier League since October 2011

Not completely surprised by that stat. I mentioned last night we very rarely come from behind to win games, if we don't score first it's always a struggle.

Though I guess by the same token if we score first we seldom lose.

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 11:43 AM
We did what we always do when in a position of ascendency. Got a nose bleed and fell flat on our faces.

God help this lot if they don't beat Bournemouth.

Let's wait until May to see what the gypos do. If they can bottle it to an even greater degree than us we may find ourselves at the top of the table when the counting finishes. We'll have "won" the title and if everyone else fucks up the following season we could retain it. The start of a dynasty.

Niall_Quinn
27-12-2015, 11:44 AM

It's because Le Bumbling Idiot doesn't know how to change the play if his one trick pony isn't winning the race.

Chippy
27-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Not completely surprised by that stat. I mentioned last night we very rarely come from behind to win games, if we don't score first it's always a struggle.

Though I guess by the same token if we score first we seldom lose.
West Brom?

Chippy
27-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Name me one match this season where there has not been some kind of officiating error. The 2 issues are not mutually exclusive of course, but in this case we did not lose because of clear cut refereeing fuck ups. I am happy to debate the marginal offside; whether or not Long's foul was deliberate and whether the linesman should have seen that the final ball did not come off Koscielny but for me this detracts from the essential issue which was that in typical Arsenal style we were not prepared for, and did not turn up for a key game that would have capitalised on the defeat of the team above us. If we had put in a match winning performance but been denied by shit officiating we could all have a good moan about the ref. But this was simply not the case.This.

Letters
27-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Although...how many games is that? How often have we been trailing at half time?

fakeyank
27-12-2015, 06:39 PM
I woke up today thinking yesterday's match was just a nightmare, but unfortunately it wasnt. The more I think about it, the more I cant believe what a bunch of toothless cunts we have in the team. Frankly speaking, my signature will tell what I think of AW and his management skills but I cannot believe the footballers didnt have it in them to pull up their socks and put up a show. Sometimes the players have to overcome the handicap of the manager and play for the club. Shocking performance! The players should be docked a weeks wage for that shit.

Letters
27-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Handicap of the manager :lol:
So far he seems to have been less of a handicap than the managers of the other clubs who should be contenders.

IBK
27-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Me, and others on GW, regularly decry shit officiating. It has nothing to do with how it affects Arsenal or my mental state because my favourite team has lost. Referees are worse than they've ever been in this country. Once again., nothing to do with Arsenal-related disappointment. It's just observation and commentary on events that have been, just as regularly pointing Arsenal's deficiencies are. It's honestly quite simple.

What's simple is - don't start debating officiating when you've been humiliated 4-0. That's it, really.

Chippy
27-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Let's wait until May to see what the gypos do. If they can bottle it to an even greater degree than us we may find ourselves at the top of the table when the counting finishes. We'll have "won" the title and if everyone else fucks up the following season we could retain it. The start of a dynasty.
Who are the Gypos? Liverpool or Scum?

Özim
27-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Terrible result, another trashing to add to the long list of thrashings in the last 10 years, worse still this lot aren't even a top team.

We've seen it before though haven't we, when the pressure is on we collapse faster than a house of cards in a hurricane.

Özim
27-12-2015, 10:19 PM
What's simple is - don't start debating officiating when you've been humiliated 4-0. That's it, really.

If you mention the officiating in a 4-0 defeat you deserved then you're trying to make excuses end of, using the words, freak result is also an excuse, it wasn't a freak result it was a deserved result, there's nothng freaskish about it, it's happened many times before to Wenger teams.

Letters
27-12-2015, 10:55 PM
We've seen it before though haven't we, when the pressure is on we collapse faster than a house of cards in a hurricane.
Yep. There was no pressure on the City game.

Power n Glory
27-12-2015, 10:56 PM
If you mention the officiating in a 4-0 defeat you deserved then you're trying to make excuses end of, using the words, freak result is also an excuse, it wasn't a freak result it was a deserved result, there's nothng freaskish about it, it's happened many times before to Wenger teams.

Yeah, it sounds like a poor excuse. Definitely not a freak result either because we've seen the team play like that before. It's just the scoreline that looks different and maybe why MS says it's a freak result. But if we take into consideration his complaints about the ref and the game had ended 2-0 or 3, would it still be classed as a freak result? We lost 2-0 there last season! It's not as if this is an odd result. We've done it before against opposition we should be beating and you don't even have to look that far back. Sheffield Wednesday, Olympiakos and West Ham are a few examples this season. We had Monaco putting three past us last season along with Stoke going 3 goals up at before HT last season as well. Anderlecht in the CL? It happens too often to be a freak result. We just have games where we totally switch off.

Power n Glory
27-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Yep. There was no pressure on the City game.

We beat City last season as well. If you're thinking pressure only applies to one game when challenging for the title, you need to think again about what pressure is. It's a constant thing. Very thin margin for errors when you're chasing for the title like this. We're looking at a sustained period of pressure and we have to stay focused for the distance. It's constant pressure unless we slip out of the race or take the lead with a big enough margin for a couple of errors.

Letters
28-12-2015, 09:05 AM
There is always a certain amount of pressure on every game. It builds as you go through a season, but I dispute the assertion that when the pressure is on we collapse. There was arguably more pressure on the City game - they could have leapfrogged us and they are title rivals.

Power n Glory
28-12-2015, 10:23 AM
There is always a certain amount of pressure on every game. It builds as you go through a season, but I dispute the assertion that when the pressure is on we collapse. There was arguably more pressure on the City game - they could have leapfrogged us and they are title rivals.

Really? You look at one game. I look back at November because we had an opportunity to go top above City back then also. Let's look at it.

Nov 8th - We're level on points with City before playing Spurs. 25 points for both us and City. City draw in their early kick off with Villa. Beat Spurs at home for the later kick off and we go top. Massive opportunity but we failed to turn up. A very flat performance, similar to what we saw against Southampton, never mind going top of the table, this was a NLD and we were at home. We were lucky to get the draw and only responded to their first half goal with 13 minutes left on the clock. The draw at least kept us in 2nd and level with City who had Liverpool next so there was another opportunity the following week. We had West Brom.

21st Nov - City get smashed 4 -1 to Liverpool. But somehow we lose to West Brom 2-1. Again, this is our opportunity to go top of the table and we scored first only to end up losing. All goals came in the first half but somehow we're unable to score in the 2nd half. Awful. But at least City lost as well so we're still level but Leicester City and Utd leapfrog us and City so we're now 4th with 26 points. Leicester leading with 28. So now we're chasing 3 other teams. We get the usual spiel from the manager about a good opportunity to respond against Norwich City. Our next game.

29th Nov - :lol: We draw against Norwich City. Truly pathetic. Man Utd and Leicester City happen to draw but City won their game. So City go back on top with goal difference. We stay 4th. Typical.

And here we are in December. We beat Villa and Sunderland. Beat City to go 2nd and should have won on Boxing Day to go top of the table. But luckily, we have another opportunity today because Leicester City and Man City play each other next. Beating City may have been more of a challenge because of who they are but they've been very inconsistent as you always say, we've beaten them before and it's one of those games where the players turned up. Maybe they liked the big occasion. But to be champions we're going to have to do more. January and February aren't easy runs. We need to step it up and not have another repeat of last month.

Letters
28-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Predictable to the point of being a certainty.
Although, interestingly, you didn't say so before the game.
But fair play, 100% of the 'predictions' you've made after a game have been spot on.
If you could just get the ones you make beforehand right you'd be cleaning up at the bookies.

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Although, interestingly, you didn't say so before the game.
But fair play, 100% of the 'predictions' you've made after a game have been spot on.
If you could just get the ones you make beforehand right you'd be cleaning up at the bookies.

Eh? We had some thread about "believing" didn't we? I think 4 people voted no. I said all the old signs are still there. It's a whole lot closer to reality than your cake tomorrow and yesterday never existed rhetoric. Though I admit, not even I thought we'd blow it 4-0. I'm still trying to gauge the result against our all time lows, it's right down there with the best of them. Another ultimate and comprehensive capitulation at a key moment in a season. Same pattern repeating over and over regardless of the players sent out. What could the cause be? The ref? The pitch? So hard to imagine.

Master Splinter
28-12-2015, 01:56 PM

So, can I come back on in 4 weeks when we're on a good run and then mention the poor decisions?

Or the next time Fellaini elbows a player in front of the ref and gets away with it, I can highlight his thuggery and the ref's incompetence as long as it's not against an Arsenal team on the end of a beating?

This kind of coherent, logical thinking makes so much sense that I admit comprehensive defeat.

I will also make note that admitting the team was pitifully poor in all respects is null and void as soon as you mention any other aspect of the game because that is instantly an excuse. I will submit to this linear, yet watertight line of thought from now on.

Özim
28-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Really? You look at one game. I look back at November because we had an opportunity to go top above City back then also. Let's look at it.

Nov 8th - We're level on points with City before playing Spurs. 25 points for both us and City. City draw in their early kick off with Villa. Beat Spurs at home for the later kick off and we go top. Massive opportunity but we failed to turn up. A very flat performance, similar to what we saw against Southampton, never mind going top of the table, this was a NLD and we were at home. We were lucky to get the draw and only responded to their first half goal with 13 minutes left on the clock. The draw at least kept us in 2nd and level with City who had Liverpool next so there was another opportunity the following week. We had West Brom.

21st Nov - City get smashed 4 -1 to Liverpool. But somehow we lose to West Brom 2-1. Again, this is our opportunity to go top of the table and we scored first only to end up losing. All goals came in the first half but somehow we're unable to score in the 2nd half. Awful. But at least City lost as well so we're still level but Leicester City and Utd leapfrog us and City so we're now 4th with 26 points. Leicester leading with 28. So now we're chasing 3 other teams. We get the usual spiel from the manager about a good opportunity to respond against Norwich City. Our next game.

29th Nov - :lol: We draw against Norwich City. Truly pathetic. Man Utd and Leicester City happen to draw but City won their game. So City go back on top with goal difference. We stay 4th. Typical.

And here we are in December. We beat Villa and Sunderland. Beat City to go 2nd and should have won on Boxing Day to go top of the table. But luckily, we have another opportunity today because Leicester City and Man City play each other next. Beating City may have been more of a challenge because of who they are but they've been very inconsistent as you always say, we've beaten them before and it's one of those games where the players turned up. Maybe they liked the big occasion. But to be champions we're going to have to do more. January and February aren't easy runs. We need to step it up and not have another repeat of last month.

Great post, proof of buckling under pressure if you ever needed it.

Özim
28-12-2015, 02:35 PM
The amount of excuses that are banded about by some people round here is unreal, we get hammered by an average team and the emphasis is put on referereeing decisions and so called "freak results", it's totally irrelevant to the result in this case so don't see why it even needs mentioning for this game, start a new thread about these rather than making excuses for the team and managers failures.

How many bad decisions go our way, plenty but we never hear a mention of these, I don't think we have any less or any more bad decisions that any other team.

If saying this is a freak result isn't scratching around for excuses then I don't know what is.

Globalgunner
28-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Choking is the one exemplifying characteristic of this team. Ever since the invincibles when Wenger decided to substitute characters on the field with his own weak-kneed mentality. This is a team built in his own image, they will always choke when the going gets tough. Every team knows how to play us. Just put in a few hard tackles and the entire team goes into its shell. Chokers and bottlers the lot of them.

Letters
28-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Great post, proof of buckling under pressure if you ever needed it.

So there was no pressure against City or today?

GP
28-12-2015, 10:29 PM
So there was no pressure against City or today?

There's only pressure when we lose.

Letters
28-12-2015, 10:53 PM
That pretty much seems to be some people's definition.

selassie
29-12-2015, 12:19 PM
That pretty much seems to be some people's definition.

Being the diplomatic man I am :lol: I do see both sides to this debate, though do kind of favour the opinion that we still choke when the going gets tough.

The facts are we have on a number of occasions had the opportunity to go top and we have blown it. Of course we were under pressure yesterday, more so after the horror show at Southampton and we responded well.

I think we will really learn a lot about this team over the next few months, for me it will pretty much make or break our season given the schedule which IMO is very difficult. Going to places like Stoke & Liverpool next month is going to be really difficult, especially if Sanchez is still out which seems quite likely. Chelsea at home isn't a gimme either.

Letters
29-12-2015, 04:17 PM
If we fall short this year I don't think it will be because of 'choking'. I may be wrong but IMO the more likely cause will be burn out and/or injury problems.
Players like Ozil, Sanchez and Cech will win you the title but they can't do it on their own and a long term injury to one will see us struggling - although it was positive to see us get the City result without Sanchez.
A good signing or two in January could push us on but I'm waiting more in hope than expectation for that.

Letters
29-12-2015, 04:17 PM
If we fall short this year I don't think it will be because of 'choking'. I may be wrong but IMO the more likely cause will be burn out and/or injury problems.
Players like Ozil, Sanchez and Cech will win you the title but they can't do it on their own and a long term injury to one will see us struggling - although it was positive to see us get the City result without Sanchez.
A good signing or two in January could push us on but I'm waiting more in hope than expectation for that.