13-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Fucking fuck :ilt:

McNamara That Ghost...
Still top, so fuck it.

Marc Overmars
A right kick in the guts.

Only way I'm letting this go is if we beat Stoke.

Cunts.

adzzzbatch
13-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Cunts.

Oh yeah, they're next and we're away :ilt:

Munchies
13-01-2016, 10:04 PM

Cunts.

Agreed.

Probably get smashed there though.

Not confident at all there. :(

IBK
13-01-2016, 10:05 PM
With our next matches/run in, we needed clear water - but for the second or third time this season we failed to do what was needed tonight and yet again it feels like an opportunity missed.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-01-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty ok with this result to be honest, we went behind twice and didn't lose. In the end we looked tired....and with all these sodding injuries we don't have the players that can keep hold of the ball under pressure.

Always disappointing to not win when you've led but to be honest I'd have taken a point at the start of the game (I don't care about injuries and form Anfield is never an easy place to go). City couldn't beat Everton, Leicester still haven't fallen away but have taken Spurs out of the equation for us.

The next game is a big un.

Globalgunner
13-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Seen it all before. Wenger thinks hes a tactical genius, taking Ozil off means he really is blind. Without Ozil or Sanchez, we are not the same team, can keep possesion, cant hold on to a lead. What is the point of bringing Arteta on anyway. He only makes the pressure worse

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
With our next matches/run in, we needed clear water - but for the second or third time this season we failed to do what was needed tonight and yet again it feels like an opportunity missed.

Hmmm we are in reality no much worse off than we were at the start of tonight

selassie
Same thing happened up there last season, the team just buckled under pressure and ran out of steam. A point aint bad away at Liverpool, just feels like a loss due to the circumstances. We desperately need some bodies back, this team is starting to look really ragged, we were absolutely awful in Midfield tonight, I mean really really bad.

Marc Overmars
How many times have we conceded late goals at Anfield now? Must be 4 or 5 at least. Fuck sake.

Marc Overmars
13-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Agreed.

Probably get smashed there though.

Not confident at all there. :(

The seeds of the collapse are in place.

Power n Glory
13-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Cracking game. Disappointed with the result. Our defence went missing. Merts gets a lot of slack but Kos shouldn't get a free ride. Monreal was excellent though. We went too defensive at the end. Ok, Ox is shite! I can't defend him anymore.

Great games from Campbell and Giroud. On to the next.

Thierrymon
13-01-2016, 10:08 PM
We should really putting that liverpool team to the sword. They had so many injuries.

Ridiculous.

RomfordPele
13-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Yep we have learnt absolutely nothing. Came out half paced and could have been three down in the first twenty mins. Clawed our way back into the game and took the lead, then reverted to the same no pressing, low tempo style. Sat back, waited for wenger to do his usual bonkers substitutions, and duly submitted. Always the same drill at anfield.

IBK
13-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Hmmm we are in reality no much worse off than we were at the start of tonight

That assumes that we will perform the same in the second half of the season as we have done in the first - and given our run of away fixtures I'm not so sure we will. I don't think we can keep spurning opportunities and win the league.

IBK
13-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Same thing happened up there last season, the team just buckled under pressure and ran out of steam. A point aint bad away at Liverpool, just feels like a loss due to the circumstances. We desperately need some bodies back, this team is starting to look really ragged, we were absolutely awful in Midfield tonight, I mean really really bad.

Real worries for our midfield. We are riding our luck here and it will run out.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
Seen it all before. Wenger thinks hes a tactical genius, taking Ozil off means he really is blind. Without Ozil or Sanchez, we are not the same team, can keep possesion, cant hold on to a lead. What is the point of bringing Arteta on anyway. He only makes the pressure worse

Took him off with just over five minutes remaining and we were treading water (quite literally) for a long time before that. The problem was not being able to clear our lines.

Maestro
at least Giroud is disappointed with that result, and rightly so

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Result today shows why we won't win the title, leading and in control Wenger brings off Campbell and Ozil and goes negative and we draw.

A win today would have made all the difference given the other results, but we blew it, or should I say Wenger blew it. We've seen this before haven't we?

IBK
13-01-2016, 10:12 PM
Result today shows why we won't win the title, leading and in control Wenger brings off Campbell and Ozil and goes negative and we draw.

A win today would have made all the difference given the other results, but we blew it, or should I say Wenger blew it. We've seen this before haven't we?

At least twice already this season, in fact...

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:13 PM

We ride our luck a lot, fortunately Wenger is a very lucky manager, but eventually it always runs out, or he does something which helps it run out like bringing off our best players when we're well placed.

Kano
13-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Took him off with just over five minutes remaining and we were treading water (quite literally) for a long time before that. The problem was not being able to clear our lines.

Ozil and Campbell were shot by then. Walcott had done nothing for the whole game. Saw no problem with Ox coming on, he was as non-effective as Theo and Arteta was on to try and get some ball retention back in the game. But Liverpool took back control of the game way before that. Was an excellent game of football, really enjoyed it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-01-2016, 10:15 PM
That assumes that we will perform the same in the second half of the season as we have done in the first - and given our run of away fixtures I'm not so sure we will. I don't think we can keep spurning opportunities and win the league.

You could say the same for city, a win would have been excellent but I reiterate irrespective of the other games would have taken a point tonight.
I'll be happy if we get four points from our next two fixtures, the fact is we may relinquish the lead in the title race between now and May, the difference between Chelsea and city is if we were Chelsea at their best we wouldn't see them for dust.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Ozil and Campbell were shot by then. Walcott had done nothing for the whole game. Saw no problem with Ox coming on, he was as non-effective as Theo and Arteta was on to try and get some ball retention back in the game. But Liverpool took back control of the game way before that. Was an excellent game of football, really enjoyed it.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoyed it, but it was a good game and I agree with what you say.

selassie
13-01-2016, 10:16 PM

Yep, most def. Flamini's legs have gone, the game was too quick for him and largely passed him by. The same applies to Arteta, they are both no longer credible options for us in high paced PL games. Ramsey in spells was good offensively and took his goal well but didn't really offer any defensive protection. I sure hope Elneny hits the ground running because he's our only real hope at the moment.

Master Splinter
13-01-2016, 10:17 PM
These bastards always equalise against us at the death. FFS.

Should have made the most of several opportunities to kill the game off. We then invited pressure on ourselves, especially with Ox being so stupidly sloppy.

Not a terrible result as Liverpool save their best performances for the big clubs, but it could become more costly if we don't win at Stoke.

Hopefully, with Rosicky returning and Elneny joining, we'll have a functioning midfield again. It's surprising how long we've held out with just two central midfielders. And one of them being Flamini.

Giroud, Campbell and Monreal were superb. Shame their good work was undone.

Firmino and Allen probably won't score all season now.

Letters
I'm pretty ok with this result to be honest, we went behind twice and didn't lose. In the end we looked tired....and with all these sodding injuries we don't have the players that can keep hold of the ball under pressure.

Always disappointing to not win when you've led but to be honest I'd have taken a point at the start of the game (I don't care about injuries and form Anfield is never an easy place to go). City couldn't beat Everton, Leicester still haven't fallen away but have taken Spurs out of the equation for us.

The next game is a big un.
:good:

Pretty much. Disappointing to drop points so late but we haven't done that much this season, it's not a terrible result there and other teams dropped points in easier games so it hasn't cost us. Stoke play a bit of football these days so should be a good game there. So long as we come through the difficult run in touch I reckon we've for a chance.

Ernesto
It's uncanny how it's always against Liverpool that we concede thèse late, heart breaking goals. Owen, Heskey, Skrtel, Mellor, Kuyt, Babel and now Joe f***in Allen.

We underestimate them too much and it's to our peril.

Given the run of fixtures we have left, I'd probably favour Man City over ourselves to win the title. Spurs, Man Utd, Stoke, Everton all left away from home? Nah, can't see it happening tbh.

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:18 PM
First signs of the cracks tonight, top and able to consolidate and we blow it, that's the soft centre and inability to deal with big pressure we've seen time and time again.

Chippy
13-01-2016, 10:19 PM
Spot on! Our midfield and defence is a fucking chairty! Wenger out.

Letters
13-01-2016, 10:20 PM

So who will win the title? Leicester? Seems unlikely. City - who couldn't even score let alone win at home against a mediocre Everton side. Spurs? :lol:. Utd - who are all over the shop.
Who knows this year but no-one is looking any better than us, tonight's result, on it's own, shows nothing.

Marc Overmars
13-01-2016, 10:21 PM
I think WUMger was right when he said 80 points might be enough for the title this year. Everyone sucks the big one.

Kano
13-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Wenger out.
wahey!

selassie
13-01-2016, 10:22 PM
It's uncanny how it's always against Liverpool that we concede thèse late, heart breaking goals. Owen, Heskey, Skrtel, Mellor, Kuyt, Babel and now Joe f***in Allen.

Given the run of fixtures we have left, I'd probably favour Man City over ourselves to win the title. Spurs, Man Utd, Stoke, Everton all left away from home? Nah, can't see it happening tbh.

Man City & West Ham too.

hobson's choice
Barring Ozil, and Coq, i cant wait for this current crop of CM"s to all fukk off. Never seen an Arsenal team in recent years thats so bad at keeping the ball

Chippy
These bastards always equalise against us at the death. FFS.

Should have made the most of several opportunities to kill the game off. We then invited pressure on ourselves, especially with Ox being so stupidly sloppy.

Not a terrible result as Liverpool save their best performances for the big clubs, but it could become more costly if we don't win at Stoke.

Hopefully, with Rosicky returning and Elneny joining, we'll have a functioning midfield again. It's surprising how long we've held out with just two central midfielders. And one of them being Flamini.

Giroud, Campbell and Monreal were superb. Shame their good work was undone.

Firmino and Allen probably won't score all season now.
The Ox needs to go out on loan to learn how to play football. If not, sell him.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 10:23 PM

Doesn't that mean we have a lot of pubbers at home though? Anyway those fixtures are quite spread out.

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:24 PM
So who will win the title? Leicester? Seems unlikely. City - who couldn't even score let alone win at home against a mediocre Everton side. Spurs? :lol:. Utd - who are all over the shop.
Who knows this year but no-one is looking any better than us, tonight's result, on it's own, shows nothing.

City, they've been there before and can only get better, we just don't have what it takes when the pressure is on. It was in our hands tonight, City had drawn we just had to hold on, but no Wenger goes negative and we drop the points, very very costly indeed and will really have an impact on belief.

Chippy
13-01-2016, 10:25 PM
��

Maestro
13-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Man City & West Ham too.

Surely the computer couldn't have come up with these fixtures ...all those teams at home in the first half of the season and then away from home in the second half of the season to

Liverpool, Stoke, Spurs, Everton, Utd, City, Utd ....lucifer is at work here. Someone hates us, anyway let's clench and hope for the best.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Man City have Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham away too. We don't have Liverpool away anymore and we got something from it.

And they played Liverpool at home but got hammered 1-4.

Kano
13-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Liverpool, Stoke, Spurs, Everton, Utd, City, Utd ....
Worst of all we have to play Utd away twice. Wankers.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 10:30 PM
City, they've been there before and can only get better, we just don't have what it takes when the pressure is on. It was in our hands tonight, City had drawn we just had to hold on, but no Wenger goes negative and we drop the points, very very costly indeed and will really have an impact on belief.

You're reaching Zim. Man City clearly are flawed too, you can't keep seeing them falter and think they are any different to us.

They've been there sure but only with the same players pulling them through that they are reliant on now.

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:32 PM
You're reaching Zim. Man City clearly are flawed too, you can't keep seeing them falter and think they are any different to us.

They've been there sure but only with the same players pulling them through that they are reliant on now.

Yes they've faltered, but they've been poor, they can only get better, the fact they've done it before will stand the in good stead, the fact we've blown it many times before and drop points like this won't.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-01-2016, 10:34 PM
And we can't get better either once the likes of Alexis comes back? :rolleyes:

Give it a rest Zim.

Obviously crushingly disappointing to drop points at the death and it heaps more pressure for us against Stoke. Got more detailed thoughts on how we played and some of our problems but can't be asked typing it all now. Maybe tommorow.

Özim
13-01-2016, 10:38 PM
And we can't get better either once the likes of Alexis comes back? :rolleyes:

Give it a rest Zim.

Obviously crushingly disappointing to drop points at the death and it heaps more pressure for us against Stoke. Got more detailed thoughts on how we played and some of our problems but can't be asked typing it all now. Maybe tommorow.

We won't get better, how many times does this have to happen until you can predict it?

Bad result today considering our position leading and mentally a big blow and will add to the doubts in the players mind, these are the chances you need to take (well we do), this kinda result is a big blow in more ways than one.

Letters
13-01-2016, 10:40 PM

The players would had no idea of the City result so that's a silly argument. And as for 'going negative' we've done that sort of thing loads of times this season and pretty much never dropped points.

There's pressure on every game. You selectively bring the pressure thing out when we drop points and ignore it or move the goalposts about what constitutes pressure when we win.

I agree City are the main rivals but drawing 0-0 vs Everton doesn't exactly show they're to be feared. You could just as easily make the argument that they had a chance to put us under pressure - they had the easier game tonight - and they blew it.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Yes they've faltered, but they've been poor, they can only get better, the fact they've done it before will stand the in good stead, the fact we've blown it many times before and drop points like this won't.

Many times? Twice perhaps but one of those was with a much different team. Granted Wenger is the one constant but the other teams are so flawed I don't think it's going to matter this time - not saying we'll win it but I don't think we'll fall away with barely a challenge.

Letters
13-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Man City have Chelsea, Liverpool and West Ham away too. We don't have Liverpool away anymore and we got something from it.

And they played Liverpool at home but got hammered 1-4.
You know that using facts is cheating :sulk:

fakeyank
13-01-2016, 10:43 PM
That goal in the end felt like a punch in the gut. I dont understand how Per starts ahead of Gabriel... he is atrocious when the ball is at his feet and I wish Wenger could see that. Walcott and Ox were absolute garbage.. Walcott has a grand total of 6 or 7 good games and then he does fuck all.

Campbell, Bellerin, Giroud and Nacho were in beast mode today. Shouldnt have taken off Campbell tbh.. rather have shifted him out to the right and had Gibbs on the left.

Oh well.. onto the next game against the cunts at Stoke.

fakeyank
13-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Arsenal fan stabbed by some cunt scouser..

https://twitter.com/Simon_Rowntree/status/687397496453201920

Kano
13-01-2016, 10:49 PM
We won't get better, how many times does this have to happen until you can predict it?

Bad result today considering our position leading and mentally a big blow and will add to the doubts in the players mind, these are the chances you need to take (well we do), this kinda result is a big blow in more ways than one.
I really do honestly believe that you would prefer us to blow it than not, just to be proven right about Wenger. Your phrasing just makes that obvious. You really have let Wenger twist you up in inside.

Letters
13-01-2016, 10:50 PM
I really do honestly believe that you would prefer us to blow it than not, just to be proven right about Wenger. Your phrasing just makes that obvious. You really have let twist you up in inside.

I always imagine Zim punching the air when we lose or concede a late equaliser :lol:

KSE Comedy Club
13-01-2016, 11:00 PM
The main point is that Liverpool are currently fucking dogshit & we made them look good.

We needed to be three points better off tonight than we were before kick off to keep that winning mentality going.

Drawing is a worry that could lead to the wrong mentality.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 11:04 PM
If you're going for the title, then that should be enough to keep the want to win going.

Winning mentality. I hate that phrase though, mainly because I think of Mourinho and he is a cunt.

Marc Overmars
13-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I think we'll see whether we've got the stones for this title on Sunday. We need to respond and come out with a point to prove.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Man City lost there, a draw will do. The time will surely come where we play well and the Britannia though - it happened at Old Trafford more often than this.

selassie
13-01-2016, 11:18 PM
I think we will challenge for the title deep into the season, especially if we get some bodies back, I think we'll drop many more points but so will all our rivals. The level in PL is pretty much at an all time low, it really is that bad and there isn't one stand out team. I geniunely think we'll be in the mix with City and Leicester, think Leicester will be up there all season....they are no flash in the pan this season, they have had too many good results for it to be.

Power n Glory
13-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I think we'll see whether we've got the stones for this title on Sunday. We need to respond and come out with a point to prove.

I doubt a win over the weekend will prove anything. How many times have we said we need to respond or such and such will show we're title contenders?

Truth is we are contenders, it's possible for us to win it, we're still top of the table but there won't be a definitive game that proves we can win it. We could thrash Stoke but then lose against Chelsea and Southampton again. The Man City victory would have been an indicator to some that we can win and given people hope but it goes right down the shitter the following week when we lose to Southampton.

The Emirates Gallactico
13-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Man City also beat West Brom away whilst we lost there Maccy - it doesn't work like that. Draw would be fine had we won tonight but as we didn't it puts more pressure on us to get 3 points on Sunday as dropping 4 points in the space of 5 days would be terrible mental blow, regardless of the games involved. I said prior to today's game that to remain competitive, ideally we need to take 7 points out of Pool away, Stoke Away and the chavs at home. Well, we've already dropped the two points so there's zero leeway any more.

Good news is that Stoke won tonight so hopefully they'll be less "pumped" up for that match as they would have been if they were desperate for points. We're due a win there and I pray to god that Alexis is back fit and raring to go for it.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Wenger has flirted with disaster all season with his numbfuckingly stupid, negative, cowardly substitutions, his lack of preparation, his piss poor almost perfectly inappropriate tactics, though thankfully not team selection because we've had too many injuries for him to fuck that up . We've escaped several games by the skin of our teeth after somebody let him out of his straitjacket and at the laptop.

We were blown away in the early part of the game - literally no midfield. Liverpool are so poor defensively we managed to get in level after a woeful first half. Then we actually stepped up, scored a goal and were in the perfect position of being able to hit them as they chased the equaliser. Stand up Theo Walcott! WHO? But for some reason we sat off, slowed down and invited heaps of pressure. Then Monsieur Fuckup struck with his can't defend for toffee Gibbs coming on (who spent the whole time in the opposition third anyway) and he yanked Ozil, our best bet for retaining some sort of toehold in the last segment of the match. It was almost like somebody dared him to pick the tactics and subs that the opposition would have prayed for in those circumstances. If we were going defensive then WHY THE FUCK BRING OX ON? The biggest defensive liability we have.

Another chance to exert some pressure and more dropped points. This will come down to who fucks up the least. That's not going to be us btw.

Some are, as usual, overlooking it all because some other team didn't play well. Well we'd better hope that keeps happening, hadn't we? Let's rely on anyone but us and if it all falls into place we might be perched precariously at the top of the pile. It won't be from climbing though, it will be because the mountain fell away beneath us. We just need a whole second half of the season to be as weird as the first and we could triumph playing some of the most disorganised and lethargic shit I have ever seen us play, sprinkled with the odd bit of exhilaration just to rub it in.

A point at Liverpool is a good point, supposedly. Well no, not at all. Not when you are in the 90th minute leading 3-2 FFS. 3-3 under those circumstances means you lost 2 points.

On a plus. Apart from the most incredible miss, Bif's goal was excellent. Campbell put in a great shift, although his play drifted between superb and average. Monreal seems to be going from strength to strength.

The Walnut though. Fuck me, somebody start contract negotiations will you? We need at least 90 minutes out of the guy between now and May.

selassie
13-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Man City also beat West Brom away whilst we lost there Maccy - it doesn't work like that. Draw would be fine had we won tonight but as we didn't it puts more pressure on us to get 3 points on Sunday as dropping 4 points in the space of 5 days would be terrible mental blow, regardless of the games involved. I said prior to today's game that to remain competitive, ideally we need to take 7 points out of Pool away, Stoke Away and the chavs at home. Well, we've already dropped the two points so there's zero leeway any more.

Good news is that Stoke won tonight so hopefully they'll be less "pumped" up for that match as they would have been if they were desperate for points. We're due a win there and I pray to god that Alexis is back fit and raring to go for it.

Agree regarding the 7 points, going to be very very hard though, I'm hoping Alexis is back for Sunday, we really need him now, think between him and Ozil we could get a result up there, otherwise I kind of fear for us. Chelsea home i'm less worried about, Sanchez will definitely be back for that so i think we'll win that one.

McNamara That Ghost...
13-01-2016, 11:28 PM

And they drew against Villa away which is a real stinker of a result but we won. The point is, just pointing to tough games lazily as though any other team won't have them really annoys me.

It doesn't put more or less pressure on us, you're in a title race, the pressure is there every game.

Your talking about needing to take seven points from those three games presumably is predicated, for some reason on Man City winning all three of theirs, which they haven't.

Kano
13-01-2016, 11:44 PM

The truth is, how do we know what a big mental blow is? The moments of decline for any team usually happen gradually so it's hard to pinpoint where the markers really are. It is also completely different for the fans and players. Tonight could be taken as that but then again there is a lot to be said about coming back twice and then taking the lead - I'd wager we would've just folded completely a couple of years ago, as we did against Southampton a few weeks back. Then we go to Stoke. On the surface a draw might seem like a 'mental blow' but it depends how it plays out. We grab a late equaliser could put a whole different spin on things from the players point of view.

It's all guessing games from our perspective. What we can see however is that our team have the ability and more importantly the fight in them, which isnt a bad combination to keep us in this until the very end.

Power n Glory
13-01-2016, 11:49 PM
And they drew against Villa away which is a real stinker of a result but we won. The point is, just pointing to tough games lazily as though any other team won't have them really annoys me.

It doesn't put more or less pressure on us, you're in a title race, the pressure is there every game.

Your talking about needing to take seven points from those three games presumably is predicated, for some reason on Man City winning all three of theirs, which they haven't.

Yep. Every game is a pressure game when you're at the top.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Quite needlessly let 2 points slip...but at least we haven't been overhauled. Yet...

Very annoying and Wenger was suprisingly okayish...about it.

Gooner23
14-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Its frustrating that we keep referencing how poor the other teams are this season to justify when we drop points. The title is there for the taking this season, and we're blowing the chance to build up a good lead because if its neck and neck with a few games to go I don't have much faith. 3 points needed at Stoke.

Xhaka Can’t
14-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Still feels like a loss this morning.

I don't even know what we were trying to achieve with those substitutions. Were we trying to defend that lead? If so, why bring on Ox. The guy is a possession turnover machine with only one setting - the wrong one.

That loss of two points - because that is clearly what it is, could prove to be that moment where we blew it.

AFC Leveller
14-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Very disappointing to drop points right at the death, esp when you look at the chances we effed up when clean through. The title is anyone's this season and everyone keeps dropping points but i just dont think we wil win it mainly because our defending (not defenders as i think we have very good defenders) is poor. We have already conceded 21 goals this season.

Bumble
14-01-2016, 08:31 AM
Luckily for us the corrupt cheating officials ensured City couldn't gain on us last night.

Thought it was a good game and overall a draw probably fair result considering. Although when I saw the Liverpool line up how they scored 3 is remarkable.

However as each game goes by I am more convinced we will win it this season. I really don't think City have the team ethic and with a change of manager hanging over them plus a favourable draw in the CL, these things will get in the way of going on one of those 10 wins in the row runs.

Leicester is the interesting one, 20 games in and we are joint top with them. People say they will fall down at some point but they got a very good result last night and who knows. I do think the extra depth in our squad will eventually count but if they finish 2nd I wouldn't be grudge them that.

Munchies
14-01-2016, 08:33 AM

I don't even know what we were trying to achieve with those substitutions. Were we trying to defend that lead? If so, why bring on Ox. The guy is a possession turnover machine with only one setting - the wrong one.

That loss of two points - because that is clearly what it is, could prove to be that moment where we blew it.

Agreed, exact same feeling like last season when Skrtel scored.

Apparently El Neny will play against Stoke. Probably come off the bench though

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 08:43 AM

The subs were silly. No idea what Wenger is thinking. In games where it's a comfortable lead and the other team hasn't a chance he wouldn't make those subs. But in a major game where we'vs already conceded 2 he takes off our best players and shifts the momentum in their favour. It's funny because the commentator I was listening to thought Liverpool had lost their attacking threat when Benteke came on and were more predictable. He was right. But we somehow managed to make things work in their favour.

Özim
14-01-2016, 09:07 AM
I was thinking when we were leading yesterday that had we won it would have massively increased belief (I certainly would have been more convinced about our chances), we would have opened a nice gap over Man City and actually won one of those harder games that can really give a team belief (just like the vistories against Man U in the past).

As far as I'm concerned all this will do is put doubts in the players minds, just as a victory would have done the opposite, leading 3-2 until the end and dropping points will feel like a loss the substitutions during the match by Wenger were shockers, I wasn't surprised to see us concede, we've got a history of doing this and yet he brings off our best players who could help finish the match off or at least keep the pressure on Liverpool.

Big games like this at this stage of the season make all the difference in terms of belief IMO, as has been proved in the past.

Özim
14-01-2016, 09:08 AM
The subs were silly. No idea what Wenger is thinking. In games where it's a comfortable lead and the other team hasn't a chance he wouldn't make those subs. But in a major game where we'vs already conceded 2 he takes off our best players and shifts the momentum in their favour. It's funny because the commentator I was listening to thought Liverpool had lost their attacking threat when Benteke came on and were more predictable. He was right. But we somehow managed to make things work in their favour.

Yeah terrible management IMO, some of his decisions are baffling, he cost us the game IMO.

Kano
14-01-2016, 09:16 AM

I really don't think it was down to the subs that we lost. We had been struggling to clear the ball and keep hold of it for the previous twenty minutes and had gone the entire game without a central midfield. God knows where Flamini was for most of it. Campbell was absolutely shot and Walcott had been useless for the whole game so I get those subs. Arteta coming on for Ozil was a last roll to try and get some ball retention back. Ozil had effectively been out of the game for the previous 15. The momentum had mostly been with Liverpool throughout the game - as seen in their posseession and amount of shots on our goal and as the home side I expected them to be pushing as they did for the last quarter. If we actually had a midfield pair then I'm sure we wouldn't have been put under so much pressure last night. I don't think the subs had a things to do with that.

A Gunner
14-01-2016, 09:28 AM
I was thinking when we were leading yesterday that had we won it would have massively increased belief (I certainly would have been more convinced about our chances), we would have opened a nice gap over Man City and actually won one of those harder games that can really give a team belief (just like the vistories against Man U in the past).

As far as I'm concerned all this will do is put doubts in the players minds, just as a victory would have done the opposite, leading 3-2 until the end and dropping points will feel like a loss the substitutions during the match by Wenger were shockers, I wasn't surprised to see us concede, we've got a history of doing this and yet he brings off our best players who could help finish the match off or at least keep the pressure on Liverpool.

Big games like this at this stage of the season make all the difference in terms of belief IMO, as has been proved in the past.

Maybe not winning it will drive us on!

Letters
14-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Very disappointing to drop points right at the death, esp when you look at the chances we effed up when clean through. The title is anyone's this season and everyone keeps dropping points but i just dont think we wil win it mainly because our defending (not defenders as i think we have very good defenders) is poor. We have already conceded 21 goals this season.
As have City :shrug:
Who knows this year. It's such a strange season.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 09:43 AM
I really don't think it was down to the subs that we lost. We had been struggling to clear the ball and keep hold of it for the previous twenty minutes and had gone the entire game without a central midfield. God knows where Flamini was for most of it. Campbell was absolutely shot and Walcott had been useless for the whole game so I get those subs. Arteta coming on for Ozil was a last roll to try and get some ball retention back. Ozil had effectively been out of the game for the previous 15. The momentum had mostly been with Liverpool throughout the game - as seen in their posseession and amount of shots on our goal and as the home side I expected them to be pushing as they did for the last quarter. If we actually had a midfield pair then I'm sure we wouldn't have been put under so much pressure last night. I don't think the subs had a things to do with that.

We weren’t good in possession all game but our counter attacks kept us dangerous. Liverpool lost their way a little when Benteke came on but we played right into their hands by sitting deep and offering no attacking threat going forward. I think there was one moment where Ozil controlled the ball beautifully late in the game and whipped in a splendid cross for Ramsey which almost resulted in a goal. It looked like we still had a goal in us but he killed that threat with the subs and went defensive.

Globalgunner
14-01-2016, 09:44 AM
The subs had everything to do with it because football is as much about mentality as it is tactics and physicality. Ozil is a ball retention master, even when you think he is tired his mastery of the ball makes him the person you want in the other teams half to receive a long punt from the defence. He was not tired yesterday and the look on his face at being subbed tells everything.
If you are under pressure the last think to do is to cram into your own half and hope for the best. If you are going to defend for the last 10 mins, then you better be dammed good at it. We are patently not and our defensive performance all game had been ropey talk less of in the last 10 mins facing a barrage of attcks.
Pool were losing and the sight of our best player coming off only served to galvanise them back into action. You defend best with tactics not bodies. What did Arteta do for the 10 mins or so he was on except back us into our own box.
I have always wondered why managers order teams back into the box when they lose a player to a red card. What I would do is keep my fastest player on the half way line and tell my players to punt the ball up to him each opportunity they get. What this does is force the other team to keep at least 2 players in their own half instead of cramming the entire play into our own half. Basically this eves up the game as they need 2 players to take care of 1.
Wenger thinks he knows tactics, he patently doesn't because his 1 trick keeps getting rolled over almost every time he deploys it. He was happy at getting the point yesterday because basically he had prepared to get beat.

Özim
14-01-2016, 09:48 AM
The subs had everything to do with it because football is as much about mentality as it is tactics and physicality. Ozil is a ball retention master, even when you think he is tired his mastery of the ball makes him the person you want in the other teams half to receive a long punt from the defence. He was not tired yesterday and the look on his face at being subbed tells everything.
If you are under pressure the last think to do is to cram into your own half and hope for the best. If you are going to defend for the last 10 mins, then you better be dammed good at it. We are patently not and our defensive performance all game had been ropey talk less of in the last 10 mins facing a barrage of attcks.
Pool were losing and the sight of our best player coming off only served to galvanise them back into action. You defend best with tactics not bodies. What did Arteta do for the 10 mins or so he was on except back us into our own box.
I have always wondered why managers order teams back into the box when they lose a player to a red card. What I would do is keep my fastest player on the half way line and tell my players to punt the ball up to him each opportunity they get. What this does is force the other team to keep at least 2 players in their own half instead of cramming the entire play into our own half. Basically this eves up the game as they need 2 players to take care of 1.
Wenger thinks he knows tactics, he patently doesn't because his 1 trick keeps getting rolled over almost every time he deploys it. He was happy at getting the point yesterday because basically he had prepared to get beat.

I remember Mexico having a player sent off in the World Cup once, the manager then brought on a striker and gave the opposition all sorts of problems and the effect of the extra man was greatly reduced.

selassie
14-01-2016, 09:52 AM

Yeah winning yesterday would have been a huge statement of intent. It's typical of us to concede a last minute equaliser and I did see it coming, we were on the back foot for the last 20 minutes.

I agree regarding the substitutions, I think Wenger panicked.

We have another big one coming up on Sunday, not looking forward to that after watching us last night.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 09:53 AM
He doesn't learn. I remember how NQ was pissed about the way the City game ended because we went defensive in a similar fashion. It would be ok with shut up shop and teams know they'll have a torrid time breaking us down but that's never the case. We've had this happen to us so many times but will Wenger learn from it or put it down to bad luck?

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Yes and Ozil looked disappointed at being subbed. We should have let him play on.

Southampton, Bournemouth, Newcastle Ozil plays 90+ minutes. But he gets subbed against City and Liverpool? It really makes no sense.

Letters
14-01-2016, 09:58 AM
It's typical of us to concede a last minute equaliser.
Hasn't been this season, tbf.

Letters
14-01-2016, 10:00 AM
He doesn't learn. I remember how NQ was pissed about the way the City game ended because we went defensive in a similar fashion. It would be ok with shut up shop and teams know they'll have a torrid time breaking us down but that's never the case. We've had this happen to us so many times but will Wenger learn from it or put it down to bad luck?

How many times has it cost us this season?

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 10:10 AM
How many times has it cost us this season?

It doesn't matter. Past seasons should have been a lesson and it's not as if this season is over. Frequency of the mistake is one thing but it's whether or not he understands that his subs can put pressure on the team and hand the other team the initiative.

Letters
14-01-2016, 10:11 AM
:blink:

It doesn't matter?

Letters
14-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Addendum.

I don't really like us going defensive, for the record, but I'd say past seasons have been a lesson when far too often we've been too gung-ho in tight games and got caught. It seems this a reaction to that. An over-reaction, maybe, but it's very rarely cost us this season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Well no, I think it would have been ridiculous for us to do anything else other than try and hold on to what we had, our attacking players looked dead and we were finding it difficult to retain possession.

I would have been devestated if we had loads of chances to kill off the game (we didn't) and had liverpools equaliser came out of nowhere (it didn't).

I actually think considering how Liverpool went for the jugular we did well to get a draw, and it highlights that we miss players that can hold onto the ball and I'm hoping Elneny will be something of a solution to that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-01-2016, 10:23 AM
It doesn't matter. Past seasons should have been a lesson and it's not as if this season is over. Frequency of the mistake is one thing but it's whether or not he understands that his subs can put pressure on the team and hand the other team the initiative.

I don't really see what other substitutions we could have made in fairness, it's not like we had control of the game when Ozil came off...if we had than I'd think it was a terrible substitution but given the state of the game I think any manager would have decided to try and hold on to what we had.

Kano
14-01-2016, 10:28 AM

He is a master of retention but he had no support in the centre of the pitch, so he was limited with what he could do beyond that. There was a moment when we had come out from a corner and he received the ball on the touchline near the hallway line and found himself surrounded by 3/4 Liverpool players. He managed to get a throw-in from that situation but he was becoming increasingly isolated with no-one around him to receive the ball and keep it. And quite frankly he looked as tired as Campbell. With Ozil on the pitch and without, the momentum of the game didn’t change at all and that was mostly down to the fact Walcott, Flamini and Ramsey were not giving him enough support. That central pairing just does not work but it is all we have and we’ve managed to get through by the skin of our teeth up until this point. With Coquelin on the pitch I can guarantee we would’ve seen a different conclusion and none of the usual substitution/tactic stick beating.

dostoy
14-01-2016, 10:33 AM
I never watch Arsenal play even though I can get just about all their matches because I have no faith whatsoever and haven't had for years now.

I checked the score near the end when we were 3-2 up and Ozil was going off and I very much hoped we would hang on, I switched back just after the final whistle and the camera was on Firmino and then Klopp, I knew then we had not won.

I am not surprised we conceded and this is why I just cannot see us winning this league ever again, we are simply not good enough mentally and physically.

Until we get rid of Wenger with his dated ideas and locked principles, it will not change.

I would take second place now, but I am not sure we can even get that.

I apologise but its how I feel.

Munchies
14-01-2016, 10:35 AM
This vid is from last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIN4e0_2YSY

Same shit, different year :lol:

selassie
14-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Hasn't been this season, tbf.

True. We have fared quite well in the big games so far this season and have been 2 or 3 up going into the last few minutes so the pressure has been off so to speak.

Yesterday we retreated and they inevitably equalised, we were on the back foot for 20 minutes so it was no real surprise.

Time will tell but if we want to win this league we are going to need to manage our games better than we did yesterday.

Edited to add: My point is that I still remain unconvinced this team can manage games and handle pressure situations.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 10:52 AM
:blink:

It doesn't matter?

‘Has it cost us this season?’ :doh: I really don’t get the way you think sometimes. That’s like a bad driver that constantly forgets to check his blind spot trying to defend not having an accident this year despite still having that same bad habit. The season isn’t over and even if it hasn’t cost us much this year, it needs correcting. Our subs shouldn’t work in the favour of the opposition.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I don't really see what other substitutions we could have made in fairness, it's not like we had control of the game when Ozil came off...if we had than I'd think it was a terrible substitution but given the state of the game I think any manager would have decided to try and hold on to what we had.

Rambo, Bellerin and Flamini would have been my candidates to hit the bench if you’re going to go more defensive. Maybe Bellerin for Chambers and Rambo for Arteta. Fresh legs on in defensive positions rather than taking the sting out of our attack and leaving heavy legs on in defence.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 11:09 AM
He is a master of retention but he had no support in the centre of the pitch, so he was limited with what he could do beyond that. There was a moment when we had come out from a corner and he received the ball on the touchline near the hallway line and found himself surrounded by 3/4 Liverpool players. He managed to get a throw-in from that situation but he was becoming increasingly isolated with no-one around him to receive the ball and keep it. And quite frankly he looked as tired as Campbell. With Ozil on the pitch and without, the momentum of the game didn’t change at all and that was mostly down to the fact Walcott, Flamini and Ramsey were not giving him enough support. That central pairing just does not work but it is all we have and we’ve managed to get through by the skin of our teeth up until this point. With Coquelin on the pitch I can guarantee we would’ve seen a different conclusion and none of the usual substitution/tactic stick beating.

Then why not change the central pairing if that's the problem? Take Flamini or Ramsey off instead of leaving them on if that's what wasn't working?

Letters
14-01-2016, 11:21 AM
‘Has it cost us this season?’ :doh: I really don’t get the way you think sometimes. That’s like a bad driver that constantly forgets to check his blind spot trying to defend not having an accident this year despite still having that same bad habit. The season isn’t over and even if it hasn’t cost us much this year, it needs correcting. Our subs shouldn’t work in the favour of the opposition.

I don't really understand how you think either.
You're identifying something you see as a problem, how is whether that problem is costing us irrelevant?
If it's not costing us then maybe it's not really a problem?
Late goals which see a team drop points are going to happen. They happen to every team in every season. The question is how often. Is it something which is happening to us too often? If so can we correct that?

We did have a problem with conceeding late too often in games, often being too keen to go forward in tight games and getting caught. Maybe this tactic of going defensive at the end of games is a reaction to that. And actually since we started doing that we have very rarely dropped points late in games. So is it really a big problem? Wenger has been repeatedly criticised for doing it but very rarely has it seen us drop points.

GP
14-01-2016, 11:28 AM
You're identifying something you see as a problem, how is whether that problem is costing us irrelevant?
Late goals which see a team drop points are going to happen. They happen to every team in every season. The question is how often. Is it something which is happening to us too often? If so can we correct that?

We did have a problem with conceeding late too often in games, often being too keen to go forward in tight games and getting caught. Maybe this tactic of going defensive at the end of games is a reaction to that. And actually since we started doing that we have very rarely dropped points late in games. So is it really a big problem? Wenger has been repeatedly criticised for doing it but very rarely has it seen us drop points.

:goodpost:

Marc Overmars
14-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Its frustrating that we keep referencing how poor the other teams are this season to justify when we drop points. The title is there for the taking this season, and we're blowing the chance to build up a good lead because if its neck and neck with a few games to go I don't have much faith. 3 points needed at Stoke.

This is the most annoying thing but I'm sure City will also be thinking if they weren't so careless they could comfortably be top as well.

It's scant consolation, sooner or later someone will go on a run. Let's just hope it's us.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Silly logic because the season isn't over. You often mention the frailties of our rivals and how odd this season has been so far so maybe we just haven't been punished as much or found ourselves in a position where we were under pressure like that late in the game.

We may never see this sort of scenario again in the league but say we were to go far in the Champions League? Champs League final maybe (let me dream)? Same scenario occurs and we repeat the same mistake and it costs us the cup? Is it still not a problem? Also, you need to stop talking in isolation of this season. It's something we've seen in past seasons and I'd have hoped we'd have learned by now.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Exactly. I was going to use the analogy of the drunk driver who boasts about not killing anyone. Just keep doing it, see what happens. Or you could drive sober, that option is ALWAYS available. From the kick off Wenger had it all wrong, then he just kept compounding his errors. I said it before, he's lost any ounce of courage he used to have. Apparently he trusts the players, but increasingly it doesn't look like that at all. Either they opted to hand the impetus to Liverpool last night (in which case Wenger should have been doing that manager thing he is paid to do) or, far more likely, this is another wild tactical swing devoid of all subtlety and nuance - like his squad rotation (team decimation) policies. Either we're all out attack leaving ourselves desperately exposed or we're camping in our own box, there's no middle ground with this guy. Certainly no middle ground last night, Flamini and Ramsey were desperate. How Wenger could have watched that without making adjustments is a scandal. Lucky Campbell was willing to run himself into the ground to cover from box to box. Our injury crisis pays off again, twice as effective as the manager's youth policy.

Weird match. Up against a more capable opponent we'd have been annihilated playing like that. As it was, this is a leaky Liverpool who looked half decent because we rolled out the carpet for them most of the game. So negative, so lethargic, so careless. I thought we were supposed to be a passing and possession team? Not much of that in evidence over recent weeks. We have some great players and they are just about doing enough to prevent the drunk at the wheel causing a major crash.

Letters
14-01-2016, 11:58 AM
The season isn't over but there have been enough games that we're top on merit and Villa are bottom on...'merit', there have been enough games to start drawing some sesible conclusions about how things are going. If what you're saying is as big a problem as you seem to think then it would surely have cost us more than it has so far.

What is silly logic is citing something as a problem despite the fact that we've done this time after time and pretty much always hung on to the result and then the one time we do concede a late goal go "Aha! See? Told you!"
Late goals are going to happen. The issue is are they happening too often and this season I'd say no. We've got pretty good at hanging on in tight games. I don't like us going defensive but we seem to be good at it and it's better than previous seasons when we were bombing forward late in tight games and getting caught too often.

Özim
14-01-2016, 12:04 PM

Teams are regularly all over us in the last few minute of matches, we haven't conceded many times more through luck than judgment, we seem to encourage teams to come at us rather than playing for 90 minutes.

It's a weakness we have no question, the fact we get away with it doesn't change that.

Letters
14-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Teams are regularly all over us in the last few minute of matches, we haven't conceded many times more through luck than judgment, we seem to encourage teams to come at us rather than playing for 90 minutes.

After this many games maybe it isn't luck?

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2016, 12:11 PM
After this many games maybe it isn't luck?

So what you might as well be saying is Wenger isn't good enough to organise a team full of excellent players and provide them with the tactics to grab and control a match? LIKE HE USED TO BE ABLE TO DO! Instead we have this shit. Hang on and pray mid table teams don't hurt us?

Yeah, I think he's well past it too.

Power n Glory
14-01-2016, 12:21 PM
The season isn't over but there have been enough games that we're top on merit and Villa are bottom on...'merit', there have been enough games to start drawing some sesible conclusions about how things are going. If what you're saying is as big a problem as you seem to think then it would surely have cost us more than it has so far.

What is silly logic is citing something as a problem despite the fact that we've done this time after time and pretty much always hung on to the result and then the one time we do concede a late goal go "Aha! See? Told you!"
Late goals are going to happen. The issue is are they happening too often and this season I'd say no. We've got pretty good at hanging on in tight games. I don't like us going defensive but we seem to be good at it and it's better than previous seasons when we were bombing forward late in tight games and getting caught too often.

There have been enough games over the years to say Wenger can make bad tactical subs and this was one of them. Your staunch defence is ridiculous because the season isn't over. So even though it hasn't costs us that much so far, we don't know how this season will pan out and the question is will he learn from this experience? I don't know but I would have thought after the experiences we've had in the past, like that infamous Tottenham game, we'd stop taking off our attacking threats all at once. Especially when we've conceded goals in a game where our defence looks shaky and 1 goal changes the tie.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
14-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Wenger has made bad tactical substitutions but I disagree that last night was a case of this,

With Walcott he'd had a bad game and it seemed reasonable to replace him with a player who could get back and defend as well as run with the ball out of defence in Gibbs, Campbell had for me an excellent game last night but looked totally dead and it was right to replace him with the Ox.
And as for the Ozil sub, after half hour of being pinned back it's hard to change the momentum in a game and it was better to bring on a player who could sit back and help us sit on what we had (from 54 minutes to the time he came off there was nothing i would call a glaring chance to kill off the game).
We didn't win and I can accept that's disappointing, but I don't think we deserved to win the game or were ever in a position to kill it off.
Last season was different I think we had a man advantage and should have looked to assert ourselves more to see out the win or get a killer third goal, the attacking players we had were just not capable of building up the head of steam to do that last night.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-01-2016, 12:45 PM
The only sub that didn't really work was The Ox as he was poor yet again giving the ball away and fucking up a few counters that perhaps could have allowed us to go 4 - 2 up and kill the game. The last goal was one of those that just happens, kind of lucky that Joe Allen was in the right place at the right time. Twat probably won't score again all season.

The bigger concern for me was the first half where Liverpool were all over us and looked like they could score at any minute. It's been pointed out how porous they Flamini/Ramsey midfield is and boy was that exploited last night. They were just steamrollered right through it and Flamini especially couldn't cope with it; we would have won that game with Coquelin and Santi in the middle and it was telling how Wenger chose to mention that Elneny would be available for Stoke in the post match conference. Mind you, offensively Liverpool played out of their skins. Pressing and harrying us at every opportunity and pinning us back deep - it's exactly how they played when they thrashed City 4 - 1 and if they do that against our rivals then it won't be all bad.

The ref (Mike Jones) was terrible. He's not a blatently corrupt one like Dean or Taylor but he's one that's weak and afraid to make big decisions against a racous home crowd. There were so many times in the first half during Liverpool's aggressive pressing where they simply just bundled us over or fouled us to get the ball which weren't called, and god knows how Clyne or Can didn't get sent off.

I mean a draw away at Anfield on the face of it isn't a bad result, it's just the manner of it makes it painful and dissapointing. Oh well, I'm slightly less gutted then I was yesterday and nothing would cheer me up than a win at the Brittainia. Come on you cunts, don't throw this chance away!!

On to some positives:

- Campbell was godlike yesterday. Worked his ass off and had two assists (should have had three). MOTM. Honestly think it has to be him and Alexis to start wide once the latter returns.

- Our fullbacks were strong. Monreal especially had Ibe in his pocket for most of the game.

- We showed great resolve to get back into the game

- Mignolet :haha:

GP
14-01-2016, 12:50 PM
The ref (Mike Jones) was terrible. He's not a blatently corrupt one like Dean or Taylor but he's one that's weak and afraid to make big decisions against a racous home crowd. There were so many times in the first half during Liverpool's aggressive pressing where they simply just bundled us over or fouled us to get the ball which weren't called, and god knows how Clyne or Can didn't get sent off.

To add to this, it seemed like every time Giroud won an aerial challenge (and he dominated these) a foul was given against him.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-01-2016, 01:02 PM
To add to this, it seemed like every time Giroud won an aerial challenge (and he dominated these) a foul was given against him.

Yep. Not to mention that Giroud was getting kicked lumps out of by Sakho in the process which meant they should have been fouls for us.

Sigh, why are there so few decent PL refs?

I am invisible
14-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Ramsey has killed Alan Rickman now...

The Emirates Gallactico
14-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Ramsey has killed Alan Rickman now...

Wasn't David Bowie at the weekend enough for him? :doh:

I am invisible
14-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Wasn't David Bowie at the weekend enough for him? :doh:

What happens if he gets a hattrick? Are we talking genocide?

Globalgunner
14-01-2016, 03:02 PM
What happens if he gets a hattrick? Are we talking genocide?

Governments will fall, for sure

Penguin
14-01-2016, 05:34 PM
We always get outplayed by Klopp's teams because Wenger doesn't know how to deal with teams that are good at the high press. We're used to having a lot of space to play out of the back but when we don't get it we don't have a good route up the pitch. A couple of long balls worked mostly because Giroud was a warrior last night (why doesn't he fight like that ALL the time?) but even then we didn't create much from those.

Özim
14-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Yeah we're a team who like time on the ball, the minute teams presss us we find it hard to deal with and sometimes fall apart, would prefer us to play a higer tempo game, a bit like the old days when we had the pace to rip teams apart in the space of 20 minutes, it's better than it was a few ago right now, but we could still do better.

The slow starts we make against teams like Liverpool really cost us a few seasons ago as we received a few thrashings, Southampton was another example as well.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-01-2016, 08:09 PM
I didin't get why such a big deal was made about Rosicky in training only for him not to be in the squad. Probably because the club have declared silence on him when he was set to be back eons ago. In any case we desperately need a player who can put his foot on the ball and just control things a little and I was a little bemused by how relaxed Wenger was about a major missed opportunity. Particularly to pull away from City who to my mind are still the major threat and won't drop points every week.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-01-2016, 08:44 PM
They'll drop points every other week going from their recent results though. :ninja:

Maestro
14-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Ramsey killing spree continues unabated, Alan Rickman falls victim to last night's goal

Letters
15-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Exactly. I was going to use the analogy of the drunk driver who boasts about not killing anyone. Just keep doing it, see what happens.
Or, how about the analogy of the man who keeps on writing to the Council about how dangerous the junction outside his house is and the Council keep politely replying that they actually made changes to that junction which caused it to be much safer than it used to be and it is now statistically safer than other similar junctions.
Then, one day, there's a crash at the junction so the man writes a furious letter to the Council saying "I told you so!". Completely ignoring the fact that at any given junction there will be crashes from time to time.

Analogies :bow:

Power n Glory
15-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Took a while for you to come up with that one. :lol:

Well played.

Letters
15-01-2016, 09:49 AM
It did take me a while :lol:

Power n Glory
15-01-2016, 10:03 AM
I won’t deny changes are being made in how we approach games. We’re set up more to be able to play on the counter if we don’t have possession and we have improved our defending even though I feel like we’ve taken a slight step back this season. Monreal and Cech have been the outstanding player at the back imo. A bit hit and miss for Kos and Merts but not a complete disaster show.

But in a game where we’re struggling on possession, I think Wenger doesn’t do us any favours by taking away our counter attacking options especially when looking shaky on defence. We’ve seen out games like that before and gone defensive but it’s when we at least have a comfortable lead. Hopefully, we learn in the next game or if we ever find ourselves in that same situation.

Kano
15-01-2016, 10:19 AM
We always get outplayed by Klopp's teams because Wenger doesn't know how to deal with teams that are good at the high press. We're used to having a lot of space to play out of the back but when we don't get it we don't have a good route up the pitch. A couple of long balls worked mostly because Giroud was a warrior last night (why doesn't he fight like that ALL the time?) but even then we didn't create much from those.

I think he's won more games than he's lost against Klopp.

Özim
15-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Or, how about the analogy of the man who keeps on writing to the Council about how dangerous the junction outside his house is and the Council keep politely replying that they actually made changes to that junction which caused it to be much safer than it used to be and it is now statistically safer than other similar junctions.
Then, one day, there's a crash at the junction so the man writes a furious letter to the Council saying "I told you so!". Completely ignoring the fact that at any given junction there will be crashes from time to time.

Analogies :bow:

I'd say it sounds like the council did a poor job and the man was right all along... :run:

Letters
15-01-2016, 10:57 AM
I know you would, but that's because you're an idiot.

Özim
15-01-2016, 10:58 AM
I know you would, but that's because you're an idiot.

Coming from you it's a compliment little man.

Letters
15-01-2016, 11:00 AM
No, it isn't. :tiphat:

IBK
15-01-2016, 11:00 AM
:rolleyes: