PDA

View Full Version : If Wenger leaves at the end of the season ...

Static
07-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Which manager is actually available?

It seems like all the experienced ones are taken and I'm not sure we can handle going further back with a Moyes type of situation.

Who is out there?

Özim
07-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Simeone, he would be my choice.

GP
07-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Which manager is actually available?

It seems like all the experienced ones are taken and I'm not sure we can handle going further back with a Moyes type of situation.

Who is out there?

Letters and N_Q joint managers.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-02-2016, 11:27 AM
If it was Mourinho, I am not sure how I would get over that. :sick:

dostoy
07-02-2016, 11:46 AM
I hope he does leave.

It must be Pellegrini, he would do a good job.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Wenger won't leave. The owners want him here because he's delivering exactly what they want him to deliver and he does it year after year without fail. He's the safest pair of hands in football, from a mega-millionaire scalper's point of view.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Yeah, he won't go anywhere.

alexander
07-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Letters and N_Q joint managers.

I would take that for a season. Can you imagine it! :trophy:

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 01:14 PM
I would take that for a season. Can you imagine it! :trophy:

My calmness and reasonableness to offsets Letter's constant mistakes and handbagging fits. It could work.

selassie
07-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Simeone would be a great pick, Thomas Tuchel at Dortmund or Unai Emery at Sevilla.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Someone would be a great pick

:gp:

I am invisible
07-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Wenger will never leave the club. Ever! They'll just download his consciousness into a series of holographic recordings, rename the Emirates 'The Fortress of Solitude', and force the new manager to go there every day to have his wisdom imparted upon them...

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Wenger will never leave the club. Ever! They'll just download his consciousness into a series of holographic recordings, rename the Emirates 'The Fortress of Solitude', and force the new manager to go there every day to have his wisdom imparted upon them...

At least it would be hackable. Right now, what can we do? Nothing.

The Emirates Gallactico
07-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Short of the entire stadium turning against him and bringing in Wenger Out signs to every game from here on with, he's going no where for at least a few years now. He loves the job too much and the board & Kroenke don't give a shit.

If he were to go my current preference would be Tuchel from Dortmund though.

Özim
07-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Sad state of affairs when a manager with Wenger's record has job security for life if you ask me.

dostoy
07-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Of course he won't leave.

If he does leave then I would certainly want Pellegrini, Simeone cannot speak english, also Tuchel is not setting the world alight at Dortmund either.

Pellegrini speaks english, just, and he would at the very least spend money on top players.

He would instill confidence and not insist on humility like Wenger does.

Master Splinter
07-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Les Reed.

Or TC.

Letters
07-02-2016, 07:40 PM
My calmness and reasonableness to offsets Letter's constant mistakes and handbagging fits. It could work.

We'd be like new signings.

Kano
07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
David Billy Moyes.

Or anyone that earns less than 8 million.

Letters
07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Sad state of affairs when a manager with Wenger's record has job security for life if you ask me.

I didn't ask you and he doesn't have job security for life. Had we dropped to mid-table or below he'd have been long gone.

GP
07-02-2016, 07:58 PM
I didn't ask you and he doesn't have job security for life. Had we dropped to mid-table or below he'd have been long gone.

I think exceeding your employers targets is good enough reason to keep your job.

The problem is the targets are now set too low.

Letters
07-02-2016, 08:10 PM
I agree with that but all the bull on here about how Wenger is unsackable.
He's kept his job because he's met his employer's targets.
And I agree if those targets remain "top 4 will do" then that's too low given our new financial muscle.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:23 PM
I agree with that but all the bull on here about how Wenger is unsackable.
He's kept his job because he's met his employer's targets.
And I agree if those targets remain "top 4 will do" then that's too low given our new financial muscle.

10 years of footballing underachievement when every other PL manager bar Ferguson has tumbled tells a different story. It's not just Wenger, the owners are just as guilty. all nest featherers and financial empire builders. On the football front, bare minimum to achieve those financial returns. It's a form of fraud.

Letters
07-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Had we dropped to mid-table or below he'd have been long gone.
That.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:30 PM
That.

The bare minimal resources have been put in to ensure we always stayed in the optimum earnings position. We would have earned less had we dropped out ofthe top 4. Don't you find it just a little strange that our best form tends to materialise when revenue is at stake?

alexander
07-02-2016, 08:32 PM
10 years of footballing underachievement when every other PL manager bar Ferguson has tumbled tells a different story. It's not just Wenger, the owners are just as guilty. all nest featherers and financial empire builders. On the football front, bare minimum to achieve those financial returns. It's a form of fraud.

You really do give him a hard time. He does have his faults, I agree, but he isnt as bad as you continually go on about.
Do You think he is on some sort of mission to wind up fans, and to do the bare minimum of finishing 4th every season?

Of course he wants to win the league and CL every year. But he is stubborn yes, and wants to do it in his idea of the `right way`, keeping spending down, blooding and trusting youngsters etc, but he isnt in this just to piss us off (even if he does at times!) he does want to win.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:38 PM
You really do give him a hard time. He does have his faults, I agree, but he isnt as bad as you continually go on about.
Do You think he is on some sort of mission to wind up fans, and to do the bare minimum of finishing 4th every season?

Of course he wants to win the league and CL every year. But he is stubborn yes, and wants to do it in his idea of the `right way`, keeping spending down, blooding and trusting youngsters etc, but he isnt in this just to piss us off (even if he does at times!) he does want to win.

That's the old cover story, I think the real story is emerging now all the excuses have been stripped away. The Half Billion Club and the incoming leeches, with Wenger driving, sold the stadium move in a very particular way. Between then and now there has been a rollercoaster economy but the chief sales reps all cashed in and some cashed out nonetheless. Win win. Meanwhile the fans still sit through the summer and winter transfer windows waiting for better backup for our lucky find Coquelin while enduring Flamini. Lose while the stadium was in progress, lose now it's built. This must all be a coincidence I suppose.

But I don't think so. I now see Wenger for what he is and it's quite embarrassing really to have been taken in for so long. I don't think I'm within a mile of being hard enough on him.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:45 PM
This is a viewpoint from elsewhere worth consideration:
http://www.goonersworld.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30064#p1346449

In part:

However modern day, the stadium has largely been paid off and we are now able to compete again for household names. The question is was the 12 years of sacrifice worth it?

We were and still are charged the highest ticket prices in world football. Just let that sink in. A team who hasn't won their domestic title in 12 years. And has NEVER won the major European trophy. Charging the highest ticket prices in world football. Disgusting. We see the likes of Spurs, Lpool, Chelsea, Everton and WHam all in the advanced stages of agreeing new stadiums. The additional revenue from sponsors and TV rights, combined with the young, promising teams they have assesmbled suggests they may well be able to remain competitive. If so, what does that mean for Arsenal? Will the Emirates now just be the norm for English football Stadia?

Is the Emirates even any good? A stadium which has priced out many traditional Arsenal fans and as such has one of the worst atmospheres in the league... I honestly preferred Highbury.

Players were all taught the 'Arsenal way' which resulted in us producing clones of over-pampered, technically however tactically inept youths who never really stood a chance of becoming world class players. We had many players excel at youth level, however the over emphasis placed on the technical side of the game seemingly saw many players unable to make the grade at professional level. The failure to compete for top talent, bring in top international coaches, and develop the tactical side of the game has seen us fail to develop any real noteworthy talents in the past 12 years... Wilshere the only one who springs to mind. The loan system was/is also largely flawed. Players were often loaned to the highest bidder, and has often seen many of our players without game time.

Hope lies with the appointment of Jonker, and with him the arrival of new external coaches and analysts to turn the fortunes around.

With Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky set to leave this summer, and Cazorla either this or next we are in need of a complete overhaul in midfield. Is Elneny good enough to play for a club with ambitions to be an elite club? Can Wilshere remain fit? Is Wenger going to be the man to do this? There is a lack of a true world-class striker who can score 30 goals a season. Are players like Welbeck and Walcott good enough?

The British core - Perhaps rocked by the departures of key players during the early post-Emirates he wants to add stability and cohesion. However has Wenger bought the wrong Brits? Walcott, Ramsey, Chamberlain, Chambers, Welbeck and Jenkinson at a combined total of around £65m, in comparison to the likes off Bale, Smalling, Sterling, Butland, Stones, Gomez and Alli at a combined total of around £25m. The lack of development in the majority of our Brits suggest this is a real possibility.

Are our players over-pampered? A lack of a high-performance culture sees players rewarded with new lucrative contracts without showing any real deserving. Walcott springs to mind.

Do we even play attractive football anymore in comparison to that of old?

When you really look at the Wenger legacy what do we see? The perfect transformation of a football club into a corporate entity that serves the many at the expense of the few. Everything the club used to stand for is gone. It could be argued Wenger had no choice, that's the way the game was going. Fair enough, but let's not call him a great manager, let's call him a great marketer. He certainly sold me for long enough and he's still selling the majority today.

Kano
07-02-2016, 08:51 PM
You're posting the same stuff on Goonersworld too? I admire your commitment to our club.

alexander
07-02-2016, 08:52 PM

In part:

When you really look at the Wenger legacy what do we see? The perfect transformation of a football club into a corporate entity that serves the many at the expense of the few. Everything the club used to stand for is gone. It could be argued Wenger had no choice, that's the way the game was going. Fair enough, but let's not call him a great manager, let's call him a great marketer. He certainly sold me for long enough and he's still selling the majority today.

Football isnt about the 60k that go to the stadium anymore, that goes for any club. You only need to look at the TV deal that is coming. Gate money is small change. Im sure fans of many clubs are becoming disillusioned with football in general.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Football isnt about the 60k that go to the stadium anymore, that goes for any club. You only need to look at the TV deal that is coming. Gate money is small change. Im sure fans of many clubs are becoming disillusioned with football in general.

Of course fans are becoming disillusioned, the ones who remember something different anyway. You make a good point. Think about all that money that is about to flood into the game. Which club has set itself up to exploit that to the absolute fullest extent? Just answer that question and then see where it takes you. No fucking team on the pitch - no worries, it really doesn't matter if you look at this from a certain (minority) perspective. We get extra house points in the media for being the best run club - financially. If that's the point of this new sport, then well done us. I take back everything I have said.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:07 PM
You're posting the same stuff on Goonersworld too? I admire your commitment to our club.

"our" club? Don't flatter yourself.

Kano
07-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Ok. My club. The one I support and always have.

Not the one I have started to follow while my regular team slide down the league clinging onto distant memories.

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:10 PM
The bare minimal resources have been put in to ensure we always stayed in the optimum earnings position. We would have earned less had we dropped out ofthe top 4. Don't you find it just a little strange that our best form tends to materialise when revenue is at stake?

Even if the board only care about revenue - and even if you say that extends to the manager which I don't buy, it surely doesn't extend to the players.
If you can win the title then why would you as a group of players just not bother and think it's job done when top 4 is secure. It makes no sense at all.
And even if it is just about the revenue, you clearly get more money if you win the league not only in terms of prize money but in terms of prestige which leads to increased fanbase and more money from that source.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 09:11 PM

In part:

They've pulled a fast one for sure. I thought the ticket prices during the Highbury era were high because of the small capacity. Very naive but I thought prices would go down once we had a bigger stadium to spread the cost. It's really not looking good.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Ok. My club. The one I support and always have.

Not the one I have started to follow while my regular team slide down the league clinging onto distant memories.

Marching off to war to defend the country because what else could war be for?

Are you saying I'm not a hero?

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:46 PM
Even if the board only care about revenue - and even if you say that extends to the manager which I don't buy, it surely doesn't extend to the players.
If you can win the title then why would you as a group of players just not bother and think it's job done when top 4 is secure. It makes no sense at all.
And even if it is just about the revenue, you clearly get more money if you win the league not only in terms of prize money but in terms of prestige which leads to increased fanbase and more money from that source.

Since when have our players had to win anything to get more money?

selassie
08-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Of course he won't leave.

If he does leave then I would certainly want Pellegrini, Simeone cannot speak english, also Tuchel is not setting the world alight at Dortmund either.

Pellegrini speaks english, just, and he would at the very least spend money on top players.

He would instill confidence and not insist on humility like Wenger does.

You want Pelligrini, but are turning your nose up at Simeone and Tuchel?

Simeone has built a great team/squad at Atletico, he's like Wenger was pre-Emirates days, the amount of young talent he's bringing through is insane and they are all special talents too, the likes of Oblak, Oliver Torres, Saul Niguez, Gimenez, Carrasco, Correa etc. Simeone's record in the market with young talents is near flawless.

Him not speaking fluent English is a negative but it's the only one IMO, he's an Elite coach.

Tuchel is doing a great job at Dortmund, they were a mess last season and he's slowly bringing them back to their former level. Bayern are in a league of their own TBH, so any team/manager that finishes above them would have done an amazing job. Tuchel is a young manager too, he did good work at Mainz considering they had pretty much no budget to spend on players.

Dortmund are still very much challenging for the Bundesliga and have looked very solid this season IMO.

Pelligrini? He's a good coach but I see too many flaws in him and I don't believe him to be an upgrade on Wenger. He's also getting on a bit, I would prefer us to hire a young manager when Wenger finally throws in the towel.

Letters
08-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Since when have our players had to win anything to get more money?
Don't they get win bonuses? They certainly don't get any less money if they win stuff. If you get to the level these guys have got to then you must be pretty competitive, why settle for 4th place when you have a shot at 1st? Witness the celebrations after the FA Cup wins, these guys enjoy winning.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Pellegrini is average manager, if you look at the squad and cash at his disposal and they got their nuts whipped with a wet towel by Leicester on Saturday and he just sits there looking like one of the things in terra hawks.

Wenger is incredibly frustrating and makes ridiculous elementary mistakes time and time again but no doubt currently better than Pellegrini or Van Gaal.

selassie
08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Pellegrini is average manager, if you look at the squad and cash at his disposal and they got their nuts whipped with a wet towel by Leicester on Saturday and he just sits there looking like one of the things in terra hawks.

Wenger is incredibly frustrating and makes ridiculous elementary mistakes time and time again but no doubt currently better than Pellegrini or Van Gaal.

Yep, totally agree.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Simeone has built a great team/squad at Atletico, he's like Wenger was pre-Emirates days, the amount of young talent he's bringing through is insane and they are all special talents too, the likes of Oblak, Oliver Torres, Saul Niguez, Gimenez, Carrasco, Correa etc. Simeone's record in the market with young talents is near flawless.

Him not speaking fluent English is a negative but it's the only one IMO, he's an Elite coach.

Tuchel is doing a great job at Dortmund, they were a mess last season and he's slowly bringing them back to their former level. Bayern are in a league of their own TBH, so any team/manager that finishes above them would have done an amazing job. Tuchel is a young manager too, he did good work at Mainz considering they had pretty much no budget to spend on players.

Dortmund are still very much challenging for the Bundesliga and have looked very solid this season IMO.

Pelligrini? He's a good coach but I see too many flaws in him and I don't believe him to be an upgrade on Wenger. He's also getting on a bit, I would prefer us to hire a young manager when Wenger finally throws in the towel.

Yeah, Pellegrini is a dinosaur. He's only ever won the title with City and has no major trophies to his name. No thanks.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Don't they get win bonuses? They certainly don't get any less money if they win stuff. If you get to the level these guys have got to then you must be pretty competitive, why settle for 4th place when you have a shot at 1st? Witness the celebrations after the FA Cup wins, these guys enjoy winning.

Of course they enjoy winning, but players don't have to win to bank a fortune these days. Not just our lot, but any of the players at the top level. Some don't even need to play. The drive to win must be diminished by the ease at which "success" can be had today in comparison to the past. Half a decent season and you're on your way to gypo land for £50mill.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Pellegrini has fucked up just as badly as Wenger this season. Worse in some respects as he has such a powerful squad at his disposal that has two internationals for every position (sometimes three) and yet we listen to excuses about Kompany being injured. So what, in a billion quid squad? Obviously he'd be better than Wenger tactically, that would be true of any manager though. But as the guy to take on Guardiola and Maureen next season he'd be out of his depth considering he can't take on Leicester or the spuds this year. He may still go on and scrape the title, but it will be a scramble and a crawl to it rather than a stride.

selassie
08-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Pellegrini has fucked up just as badly as Wenger this season. Worse in some respects as he has such a powerful squad at his disposal that has two internationals for every position (sometimes three) and yet we listen to excuses about Kompany being injured. So what, in a billion quid squad? Obviously he'd be better than Wenger tactically, that would be true of any manager though. But as the guy to take on Guardiola and Maureen next season he'd be out of his depth considering he can't take on Leicester or the spuds this year. He may still go on and scrape the title, but it will be a scramble and a crawl to it rather than a stride.

Yep, when I heard Pellegrini complaining about injuries earlier on this season I had a good old chuckle.

He's basically not really improved them, their only buy who has been a success over the past few seasons has been De Bruyne. He's wasted millions on dud CB's too.

Özim
08-02-2016, 05:36 PM

When you've got a stack load of money you've never really had to work that hard for in the 1st place, you're not too bothered about having to work to get a bit more as it's too much hassle as you're already comfortable enough as it is.

Our players have largely been handed millions without having to achieve anything, it's not really a surprise they lack hunger, the fact Wenger isn't a motivator just makes it worse.

Özim
08-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Pellegrini has done a terrible job, agreed he's better than Wenger tactically but he's a small time manager suited to managing players who don't have big egos much like Wenger to be honest, he has no place managing a top club because he just doesn't have the skills.

I'm not a fan of Guardiola but he can manage egos and will probably get the best out of the City squad and sign a few more stars to boot.

The title has literally been offered to us on a plate this season, but Wenger has turned his nose up at it and been as complacent as he has always been in the last 10 years, hard to tell whether his first few years were just down to having an advantage in the market due to his knowledge of French players or actual mangerial ability, he was clearly a good scout, he's not even that good at that anymore.

Maestro
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM

100%

Pellegrini is Wenget without the financial acumen, and political know how ...a poor man's Wenget imho

Diego Simeone on the other hand would be my preferred choice. Top calibre coach who I think is very much underestimated by a lot of people. If given the resources he can take on the big boys and beat them, heck he's done it with less resources. He is young, tactically very astute and builds his teams around a strong spine with great complimentary young talent. Most of all though he absolutely hates losing, does not suffer fools and players must toe the line and deliver, consistently giving high output ...or they simply won't stay in the team or ultimately will be moved on out of the club. I'd make every effort to get him in, I'm convinced he'd give everything he's got and will expect the same from the players and the club.

Xhaka Can’t
28-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Hey Arsene.....

http://www.english-test.net/forum/user_images/13052012085339.jpg

Master Splinter
28-02-2016, 04:27 PM
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/29/618x462/uktv-pop-idol-michelle-mcmanus.jpg

selassie
28-02-2016, 04:45 PM
:haha: