PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Bournemouth 0-2 Arsenal

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Wenger out while it can still be rescued.

Kano
07-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Wenger you cunt! We won :fury:

McNamara That Ghost...
07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
After a month without one, guess any win will do. Bit shit though tbf.

Özim
07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
We won an easy match as expected with a poor performance, 3rd place still behind Spurs having conceded more and scored less.

alexander
07-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Didnt see it.

We won.
We didnt concede.
We are joint second.

As a fan, and after a few poor games, i will take that. Onwards and upwards.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Wenger you cunt! We won :fury:

What's the point of winning if you have to watch that? If we all agree to fuck the football and just go for the points playing shit more boring and negative than the chavs at their worst then fine. Yay, we won.

Marc Overmars
07-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Autopilot. :sleep:

Normally happens when we score 2 in quick succession. Should have put money on us not scoring any more after the 2nd goal.

Much needed win though. Massive game next week.

Munchies
07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Enough is enough, playing Flamini/Ramsey as the CM's after how shit they've been?

Sackable offence

Niall_Quinn
Didnt see it.

Ooooh, you lucky bastard!

Munchies
Petr Cech has now kept 12 clean sheets this season; more than any other Premier League goalkeeper.

Huge signing.

Özim
What's the point of winning if you have to watch that? If we all agree to fuck the football and just go for the points playing shit more boring and negative than the chavs at their worst then fine. Yay, we won.

It's so Wenger and his supporters can give themselves a nice pat on the back and praise him for a job well done. He should get another 3 year contract based on this performance alone.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Enough is enough, playing Flamini/Ramsey as the CM's after how shit they've been?

Sackable offence

No mate, we just monstered Football Club Bournemouth. Nothing can stop us now.

Even Henry is scratching his head at what the turd has got up to in this game.

Özim
Autopilot. :sleep:

Normally happens when we score 2 in quick succession. Should have put money on us not scoring any more after the 2nd goal.

Much needed win though. Massive game next week.

Typical of Wenger teams of the last 10 years, no killer instinct, they prefer to coast along and compliment each other on how well they've done rather than perform for 90 minutes and score more goals.

Coney
Never any doubt. :whistle:

Kano
07-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Welcome to the BLiTW.

Özim
Petr Cech has now kept 12 clean sheets this season; more than any other Premier League goalkeeper.

Huge signing.

Yeah he's been great, got to give credit where it's due a very good signing. Didn't require much homework to find out he'd be better than what we had or that he was pretty decent tho.

The Emirates Gallactico
Shows you the importance in having a world class keeper. We would have fucked that up with a Almunia/Mignolet/Fabianksi in goal.

Did the business but far from convincing. I pray that Coquelin will be ready for Leciester because FLamini continues to scare me.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Sky really want to push the Flamini challenge. They go blind when shrek plays but they have eagle vision for our matches.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Yeah he's been great, got to give credit where it's due a very good signing. Didn't require much homework to find out he'd be better than what we had or that he was pretty decent tho.

In fairness, you were very sceptical of the signing.

Özim
07-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Shows you the importance in having a world class keeper. We would have fucked that up with a Almunia/Mignolet/Fabianksi in goal.

Did the business but far from convincing. I pray that Coquelin will be ready for Leciester because FLamini continues to scare me.

Only took Wenger 10 years to workout something everyone else knew from day 1. Noone can say he doesn't earn his corn.

Özim
07-02-2016, 03:38 PM
In fairness, you were very sceptical of the signing.

I said he wasn't as good as he was before his head injury which I still stand by as he was incredible, still a very good keeper though.

Master Splinter
07-02-2016, 03:39 PM
No cohesion in midfield or attack. Only injuries to Flamini and Giroud will force WUMger into fielding the most effective line-up. Nothing against Giroud, but him being the outlet plays into the hands of the opposition and gives us no consistent threat. It's going to be an even bigger slog for the rest of the season if there are no adjustments. Coin toss football really. Some matches we'll score a few and win and others will end up like Southampton because there's no plan and consistent pressure on the opposition.

Well done Cech, Monreal and Bellerin again.

RomfordPele
07-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Sky really want to push the Flamini challenge. They go blind when shrek plays but they have eagle vision for our matches.

Yep, they will be talking about it all week. It can't fail to influence the refs. Why ever would you give Arsenal a 50-50 decision when you'll just get carpeted by the media.

Coney
07-02-2016, 03:42 PM
I said he wasn't as good as he was before my head injury.

Fixed it for you.

Globalgunner
07-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Arsenal going down to 10 men (or less) never fails to warm the cockles of many a Sky heart
Flamini though is a bloody moron, no intelligence on the pitch at all.

RomfordPele
07-02-2016, 03:44 PM
No cohesion in midfield or attack. Only injuries to Flamini and Giroud will force WUMger into fielding the most effective line-up. Nothing against Giroud, but him being the outlet plays into the hands of the opposition and gives us no consistent threat. It's going to be an even bigger slog for the rest of the season if there are no adjustments. Coin toss football really. Some matches we'll score a few and win and others will end up like Southampton because there's no plan and consistent pressure on the opposition.

It says a lot that you have to rely on injuries to make wenger pick the right team.

I would like to see a bit more of iwobi. I can foresee him being another Coquelin - a gem Wenger refuses to play unless he is forced too.

GP
07-02-2016, 03:48 PM

Giroud is the best option we have by far.

Munchies
07-02-2016, 03:53 PM

Should've bought Lacazette in the Summer

Sackable offence

GP
07-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Sackable offence

He's only on 7 league goals this season in a poor French league.

Letters
07-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Take a day off :sleep:

Letters
07-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Didnt see it.

We won.
We didnt concede.
We are joint second.

As a fan, and after a few poor games, i will take that. Onwards and upwards.

Pretty much. Very important win. Massive game next week.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Take a day off :sleep:

You liked that one did you? No fee.

selassie
07-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Important 3 points. Massive game next week, another must win.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Pretty much. Very important win. Massive game next week.

And the little planet sized point you are missing is that if we play that way next week or if the moron picks the same team, then we have no chance of winning and the title is gone. See how these things are connected?

Master Splinter
07-02-2016, 04:04 PM

I love Bif, but when Walcott plays up front, Alexis, Ozil and Ramsey look like different players. We are far more dynamic, aggressive and unpredictable. All our best performances have occurred when Walcott was up front. FA Cup final, Leicester away, United at home.

Giroud is a great option against lesser teams at home and coming off the bench. But it's so easy to nullify a one-paced attack and it constantly invites pressure onto us with no outlet available. It obviously doesn't help that Coquelin and Cazorla have been out, but having a better-functioning attack could have made up for the midfield somewhat in recent games.

Letters
We won the game/ We've been on an awful run we couldn't afford to mess things up today and we didn't.
Shut up moaning :tiphat:

Kano
And the little planet sized point you are missing is that if we play that way next week or if the moron picks the same team, then we have no chance of winning and the title is gone. See how these things are connected?

You can read the match report here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/6915065/Bournemouth-0-Arsenal-2-Mesut-Ozil-and-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-at-the-double-as-Gunners-close-gap.html

Master Splinter
07-02-2016, 04:05 PM
He's only on 7 league goals this season in a poor French league.

Should have bought Remy and Benteke too.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
We won the game/ We've been on an awful run we couldn't afford to mess things up today and we didn't.
Shut up moaning :tiphat:

You settle for the absolute minimum like all AKBs.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
You can read the match report here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/6915065/Bournemouth-0-Arsenal-2-Mesut-Ozil-and-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-at-the-double-as-Gunners-close-gap.html

Don't they charge to read that shit now?

Master Splinter
07-02-2016, 04:11 PM
You settle for the absolute minimum like all AKBs.

You're actually using terms like AKB?

You really have lost it.

TBH.

GP
07-02-2016, 04:18 PM
I love Bif, but when Walcott plays up front, Alexis, Ozil and Ramsey look like different players. We are far more dynamic, aggressive and unpredictable. All our best performances have occurred when Walcott was up front. FA Cup final, Leicester away, United at home.

Giroud is a great option against lesser teams at home and coming off the bench. But it's so easy to nullify a one-paced attack and it constantly invites pressure onto us with no outlet available. It obviously doesn't help that Coquelin and Cazorla have been out, but having a better-functioning attack could have made up for the midfield somewhat in recent games.

Sure, we'd all like a better functioning attack.

But we don't have one.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 04:20 PM
You're actually using terms like AKB?

You really have lost it.

TBH.

That's what they are. Doesn't matter how low the standard slips, it's acceptable. Classic Wenger.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-02-2016, 04:57 PM
There was a fair amount of scepticism about his current level before we signed him and on the whole and in fairness it was understandable to an extent. That Wenger went for Cech at all, a player he had almost every reason to believe was an impossible signing is to his credit.

It's a pity he ignored other areas......and I think he needs reminding of the very fortuitous circumstances in which Flamini ended up back here in the first place. Training with his old club to get his fitness levels up and a couple years down the line he's the first choice in our midfield in the thick of a title challenge.

Sackable offence
He should have signed Aubemeyang but hindsight is a great thing. He should certainly sign him before Bayern eventually do.

Very much agree on that summation of Walcott.....and the part perhaps most forgotten is his seemingly catalysing influence on Sanchez.

Letters
07-02-2016, 05:03 PM

So now you're complaining about what will happen in our NEXT game if...?
Give it a rest. This thread is a match reaction thread to THIS game. We couldn't afford to drop any points today, we didn't. So my reaction to this result is "oh, good".
Whatever the performance was like, we got the result and in today's game we just had to do that.
Next week is another game, I'll react to that one accordingly depending on what happens then.

We get it. You want Wenger sacked. You are not the only one of that opinion. Do you have to mention that or allude to it and insult him in EVERY post? Really is very dull.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 05:14 PM
So now you're complaining about what will happen in our NEXT game if...?
Give it a rest. This thread is a match reaction thread to THIS game. We couldn't afford to drop any points today, we didn't. So my reaction to this result is "oh, good".
Whatever the performance was like, we got the result and in today's game we just had to do that.
Next week is another game, I'll react to that one accordingly depending on what happens then.

We get it. You want Wenger sacked. You are not the only one of that opinion. Do you have to mention that or allude to it and insult him in EVERY post? Really is very dull.

Found a 2 minute patch to hide behind and claim the high ground from - did you? A stream of shite performances and guess we mustn't talk about. Ooh look, nice weather we're having. Gobble, gobble.

Letters
07-02-2016, 05:23 PM
QED :yawn:

Chippy
07-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Agreed! That was a poor performance against a fairly poor side. We will get spit roasted at OT and Shite Fuck Lane. Why does he play Flamini?

Letters
07-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Found a 2 minute patch to hide behind and claim the high ground from - did you?
I have literally no idea what that means.
As I said this is the match reaction thread. We won a game we just had to win, by all accounts it wasn't a good performance, we're a side struggling for form so any win is welcome right now.

A stream of shite performances and guess we mustn't talk about.
That isn't what you're talking about, you're not talking 'about' anything, it's just a constant stream of whining and WUMming.

Ooh look, nice weather we're having. Gobble, gobble.
Again, no idea what that is even supposed to mean.

dostoy
07-02-2016, 06:41 PM
I am glad we won but I am completely sure we will not win the league and have been since before the start of this season.

We have this tendency to buckle under pressure and only when the pressure is reduced do we start winning again.

We need a manager who can give confidence, belief and even a bit of arrogance, Wenger is not that man.

I hope we beat Leicester and those Spuds but if we are top in March we will fold tamely, we always do now every year.

Xhaka Can’t
07-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Glad we won - but it was an incredibly dull, lifeless performance.

I'm worried that the win will somehow provide validation to Wenger that he has the central MF pairing right.

He hasn't. And if he sticks with it, Leicester will stick it to us next week.

dostoy
07-02-2016, 06:59 PM
I think he is easing Coquelin back in slowly as he realises how important he is.

One thing that has now became certain is that Mertesacker has got to go in the summer and be replaced with a 25 year old 6'4 beast of a centre half.

Debuchy, Arteta, Rosicky, Ospina and Flamini all out in the summer as well.

Letters
07-02-2016, 07:33 PM
I am glad we won but I am completely sure we will not win the league and have been since before the start of this season.

We have this tendency to buckle under pressure and only when the pressure is reduced do we start winning again.

We need a manager who can give confidence, belief and even a bit of arrogance, Wenger is not that man.

I hope we beat Leicester and those Spuds but if we are top in March we will fold tamely, we always do now every year.
I don't think we'll win the league but how was today a less pressured game than the previous one?

GP
07-02-2016, 07:56 PM

I'm worried that the win will somehow provide validation to Wenger that he has the central MF pairing right.

You think he actually prefers Flamini to Coquelin?

alexander
07-02-2016, 08:23 PM
You think he actually prefers Flamini to Coquelin?

I think it was NQ in the match thread that said wenger was destroying Alexis confidence by taking him off at 70 mins. Like Coq, he has had a long injury lay-off and Wenger knows these two players are crucial to the rest of our season and title challenge. yes, we are still in with a shot, whatever NQ and others still bang on about, we are joint 2nd, and a win next week makes it wide open again.
He cannot risk these players more than he has too. I fully expect Coq to be starting next weekend. If he does them in before we play Vardy and his high flying rabble and spurs, there will be a massive uproar.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:28 PM
I think it was NQ in the match thread that said wenger was destroying Alexis confidence by taking him off at 70 mins. Like Coq, he has had a long injury lay-off and Wenger knows these two players are crucial to the rest of our season and title challenge. yes, we are still in with a shot, whatever NQ and others still bang on about, we are joint 2nd, and a win next week makes it wide open again.
He cannot risk these players more than he has too. I fully expect Coq to be starting next weekend. If he does them in before we play Vardy and his high flying rabble and spurs, there will be a massive uproar.

He can't risk Coquelin so has to play Flamini? Never a clearer indication of why he should be sacked on the spot. Imagine having to rely on a bloke that nobody else wanted and only turned up to keep fit (the irony of doing that at Arsenal probably escaped him). It all goes back to the summer transfer window, and transfer windows before it. Until this season and the chavs performance it's hard to imagine a club more poorly run in terms of what that club could achieve with a bit of competency and ambition at the helm. After 10 years of this shit what else can you do except "bang on" about it? Wouldn't surprise me if it turns into 15 years, I guess we'll all be screaming by then.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Was saying the same just before kick off. Giroud only managed one shot all game and it was a header easily saved by their keeper. For the style we're trying to play, he just doesn't suit it. The first goal we scored could have been taken out of the old Sam Allardyce playbook. Ball over the top and he nods it back to Ozil. We either have to play more to his strengths or bring in Walcott. It was a predictable performance.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Was saying the same just before kick off. Giroud only managed one shot all game and it was a header easily saved by their keeper. For the style we're trying to play, he just doesn't suit it. The first goal we scored could have been taken out of the old Sam Allardyce playbook. Ball over the top and he nods it back to Ozil. We either have to play more to his strengths or bring in Walcott. It was a predictable performance.

At least he got the header back and made Sam proud. Theo wouldn't have even been in the vicinity. However, if there was any match to give Theo another shot up top it was today, up against an opponent with literally nothing. Wenger is probably saving Walcott for a game to which he is entirely unsuited. You know Wenger by now.

alexander
07-02-2016, 08:40 PM
He can't risk Coquelin so has to play Flamini? Never a clearer indication of why he should be sacked on the spot. Imagine having to rely on a bloke that nobody else wanted and only turned up to keep fit (the irony of doing that at Arsenal probably escaped him). It all goes back to the summer transfer window, and transfer windows before it. Until this season and the chavs performance it's hard to imagine a club more poorly run in terms of what that club could achieve with a bit of competency and ambition at the helm. After 10 years of this shit what else can you do except "bang on" about it? Wouldn't surprise me if it turns into 15 years, I guess we'll all be screaming by then.

Sacked on the spot for playing one player and not another (who has come back recently from months of no football) :doh::doh: get a grip.
he didnt expect to have to rely on Flam. He had Wilshere, Arteta, that could play there, but unluckily they have both suffered injury. Nearly all teams would expect to rely on a certain 11-14 players, then backups if something goes wrong. You cant have 2 world class players in every position, one will always get pissed off.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 08:42 PM

If Coquelin isn't fit enough to start should he even be on the bench? We've seen players come off the bench and still pick up an injury. Whilst we're in the title race, we should be playing our strongest 11 every game. It's not a long stretch from here until the end of the season. Also, Sanchez had a long lay off and since making that first sub appearance against Chelsea, he's started every game now that he is fit.

alexander
07-02-2016, 08:49 PM
If Coquelin isn't fit enough to start should he even be on the bench? We've seen players come off the bench and still pick up an injury. Whilst we're in the title race, we should be playing our strongest 11 every game. It's not a long stretch from here until the end of the season. Also, Sanchez had a long lay off and since making that first sub appearance against Chelsea, he's started every game now that he is fit.

By all accounts Alexis asnt having a great game, I didnt see it, but thats what others said. He is probably lacking total match fitness, and being the type of player he is, he is the one that will give that little extra stretch to get the ball, or that extra squirt to run onto a ball. Im no expert, but this would be the time he would pull a muscle? Probably why he was taken off.
As for Coq, he is still getting back to that match sharpness, and maybe a similar thing, that they had him on the bench to give him a run out if needed.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Sacked on the spot for playing one player and not another (who has come back recently from months of no football) :doh::doh: get a grip.
he didnt expect to have to rely on Flam. He had Wilshere, Arteta, that could play there, but unluckily they have both suffered injury. Nearly all teams would expect to rely on a certain 11-14 players, then backups if something goes wrong. You cant have 2 world class players in every position, one will always get pissed off.

Not sacked for today's team selection - sacked for leaving us in a situation where Flamini is an option at all - ever. He's spent 8 mill this window and now tells us the guy he signed isn't ready to play. I mean come on, this isn't ME, it's HIM. He's fucking incompetent. What's it going to take for some people to see that? Oh and we had the eternally injury prone Wilshere and the long past it Arteta in reserve? Well these are decent enough players but we're gunning for the elite tier remember? You really think our chance find Coquelin backed up by the injury prone Wilshere and the 30 whatever year old Arteta (who I like btw, but he's past it) is a genuine effort to hit the elite level? It's the barest of bare minimums. Enough for that coveted 4th spot. Vidal was available in the summer. We didn't even twitch. Plenty of others there too, to avoid this calamitous Ramsey/ Flamini non-partnership that has destroyed our game at a crucial stage of the season. Or hold on, maybe it is just me. Maybe everything is really fine but I can't see it. Sometimes when you look at something so obvious but people around you are saying, I can't see it, you wonder. I was one of the blind Wenger crowd for a long time, I admit it.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 08:55 PM
By all accounts Alexis asnt having a great game, I didnt see it, but thats what others said. He is probably lacking total match fitness, and being the type of player he is, he is the one that will give that little extra stretch to get the ball, or that extra squirt to run onto a ball. Im no expert, but this would be the time he would pull a muscle? Probably why he was taken off.
As for Coq, he is still getting back to that match sharpness, and maybe a similar thing, that they had him on the bench to give him a run out if needed.

Giving players a 20 minute rest makes sense as well. I don't mind them getting subbed off. But we should still start with our best 11.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:57 PM
If Coquelin isn't fit enough to start should he even be on the bench?

At a normal club - no, of course not. In Wenger World - sure, it's no more crazy than any of his other shit.

Letters
Really? Every post? :yawn:

Power n Glory

We really struggle to get a flurry of passes going these days. It shouldn't take injuries for Wenger to address the problem but that's what it seems to take these days.

Kano
07-02-2016, 08:58 PM

Well there's fuck all of interest going on at Liverpool bar their usual mid-table scrap. At least this gets the blood pumping.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Giving players a 20 minute rest makes sense as well. I don't mind them getting subbed off. But we should still start with our best 11.

I would love to know how red zones or amber zones or beige with cream trim zones apply to our club anyway. Our lot get injured signing autographs so who gives a fuck about any of it? Just play the guys on form and if they get injured the get injured. Look back over every season, they're going to get injured anyway so why are we pretending we are somehow managing that? We aren't. It's bullshit.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:00 PM

Post match thread after we played like shit. We all know why we played like shit, not my fault if some want to lie to themselves.

Go on, tell us how we won the FA cup.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Well there's fuck all of interest going on at Liverpool bar their usual mid-table scrap. At least this gets the blood pumping.

If ever I get caught for being an incompetent fuck I'm going to hire you and Letters to defend me.

Kano
07-02-2016, 09:02 PM
If ever I get caught for being an incompetent fuck I'm going to hire you and Letters to defend me.

This whole Arsenal fan charade thing would get you sent down without a trial.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Not sacked for today's team selection - sacked for leaving us in a situation where Flamini is an option at all - ever. He's spent 8 mill this window and now tells us the guy he signed isn't ready to play. I mean come on, this isn't ME, it's HIM. He's fucking incompetent. What's it going to take for some people to see that? Oh and we had the eternally injury prone Wilshere and the long past it Arteta in reserve? Well these are decent enough players but we're gunning for the elite tier remember? You really think our chance find Coquelin backed up by the injury prone Wilshere and the 30 whatever year old Arteta (who I like btw, but he's past it) is a genuine effort to hit the elite level? It's the barest of bare minimums. Enough for that coveted 4th spot. Vidal was available in the summer. We didn't even twitch. Plenty of others there too, to avoid this calamitous Ramsey/ Flamini non-partnership that has destroyed our game at a crucial stage of the season. Or hold on, maybe it is just me. Maybe everything is really fine but I can't see it. Sometimes when you look at something so obvious but people around you are saying, I can't see it, you wonder. I was one of the blind Wenger crowd for a long time, I admit it.

Dont get me wrong, he does has his faults, and he annoys me at times with odd choices, but are we always aware of the full facts, behind the scenes, injuries, mental state of players etc. From the outside its all very well to judge. maybe we have fallen into this lull of thinking 4th is fine. We have had the excuse that Chavs, ManU, and City have had more money, which is true, often we were in for players then Roman came in, flashed the cash and we lost out. This isnt quite the same now, we do have more money but still not as much as others. Maybe more pressure from above Wenger would change things, but who knows, I doubt it.
This season is different, and if we dont end the season champions, i will think we missed a big chance. But wenger still wont go, however much fans complain, as we are not important.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Just play the guys on form and if they get injured the get injured

If he done this, you would go mad, and say he was mental for keep playing them until injured.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:08 PM
This whole Arsenal fan charade thing would get you sent down without a trial.

Are you really going to press this line? Is that the best you've got?

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Post match thread after we played like shit.
And won...

Kano
07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Are you really going to press this line? Is that the best you've got?

As and when. You make it too obvious. A new style is definitely needed.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
And won...

and are joint 2nd on points.... Yep, its a dire situation we are in.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Dont get me wrong, he does has his faults, and he annoys me at times with odd choices, but are we always aware of the full facts, behind the scenes, injuries, mental state of players etc. From the outside its all very well to judge. maybe we have fallen into this lull of thinking 4th is fine. We have had the excuse that Chavs, ManU, and City have had more money, which is true, often we were in for players then Roman came in, flashed the cash and we lost out. This isnt quite the same now, we do have more money but still not as much as others. Maybe more pressure from above Wenger would change things, but who knows, I doubt it.
This season is different, and if we dont end the season champions, i will think we missed a big chance. But wenger still wont go, however much fans complain, as we are not important.

Well okay. But I say it's more than that. I say the football itself has become, if not unimportant, then of secondary importance. The fans aren't unimportant either, the leeches ultimately know where the cash comes from. Not just bums on seats but all those sponsorship deals, they only work if people are buying product and brand association is powerful. So fans are important, but not in terms of their commitment and loyalty to the club, which because of the nature of competitive sport is a lock-in. Fans are important as consumers, in a consumer industry. What we care about, the reason we support the club at all, that's not important (to the owners) any more, other than in the fact it can be exploited. There will be no pressure from above as Wenger is very, very good at what he does. They'll be hoping he stays forever.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:15 PM
As and when. You make it too obvious. A new style is definitely needed.

Are you saying it's just me? Or are all the fans who are waking up to Wenger suspect? You have to be a Wenger devotee to be a fan, is that it? Anyone who wakes up - GTFO?

Kano
07-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Are you saying it's just me? Or are all the fans who are waking up to Wenger suspect? You have to be a Wenger devotee to be a fan, is that it? Anyone who wakes up - GTFO?
:lol:

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:18 PM

Nobody said we were in a dire situation. But let me remind you - and I really don't care what the gypos or the chavs are up to, I'm talking about us - Leicester City are kicking our arses. I'm not sure from which planet the excuses to cover Wenger are coming from but it must be a strange place. It's dire in a way, just a little bit maybe.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:19 PM

What's next? A considered and meaningful blank posting?

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:19 PM

I understand - and share, actually - some of the frustration. We should be doing better, we've thrown away silly points over the last month or so and find ourselves struggling to hold on to Leicester's (Leicester! :lol:) coat-tails. But yeah, the level of whining and WUMming is out of control on here.

Chippy
07-02-2016, 09:20 PM

If we had a decent Manager, we'd be top. Just saying.

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:20 PM

Are Wenger devotee and constant WUMming and insulting Wenger in every sodding post the only two options?

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Nobody said we were in a dire situation. But let me remind you - and I really don't care what the gypos or the chavs are up to, I'm talking about us - Leicester City are kicking our arses. I'm not sure from which planet the excuses to cover Wenger are coming from but it must be a strange place. It's dire in a way, just a little bit maybe.

Talking about us? We are right in there, won today, still a long way to go. We are in the FA Cup, still in CL. Really, it could be so much worse. Its early Feb, we were never going to win the league by now anyway. Its not perfect, but who is? Nobody.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:23 PM

You cant say that! Its made up.

Niall_Quinn
I understand - and share, actually - some of the frustration. We should be doing better, we've thrown away silly points over the last month or so and find ourselves struggling to hold on to Leicester's (Leicester! :lol:) coat-tails. But yeah, the level of whining and WUMming is out of control on here.

No it isn't and the only thing standing between Wenger and an outright mutiny is the hardcore Wenger base that time and time again ignores facts in favour of maybes and next times and it was the pitch or look at that club over there but don't look at us. It's the denial that's out of control.

GP

Prove it.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:24 PM

I too can agree with some of NQs frustrations, really I do. But it could be a whole heap worse, and in many previous seasons has been.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 09:25 PM

I think it will. It's a strange one because he said something about finishing being linked to the quality of the chances created. Today, we created a lot less clear cut chances but finished them off. No idea what he'll do for the next game but today was dull.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:28 PM
I think it will. It's a strange one because he said something about finishing being linked to the quality of the chances created. Today, we created a lot less clear cut chances but finished them off. No idea what he'll do for the next game but today was dull.

Nobody wants dull, (I dont for sure, Ive been spoilt by Henry/pires/berkamp etc!!) but chelsea `dulled` it to the title from december on last season, and I would take that!

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Talking about us? We are right in there, won today, still a long way to go. We are in the FA Cup, still in CL. Really, it could be so much worse. Its early Feb, we were never going to win the league by now anyway. Its not perfect, but who is? Nobody.

But this is exactly what many are talking about. Wenger has this ability to persuade people his bog standard average bullshit is acceptable. It could be worse. It might get better, judge him at the end of the season, it's not over yet, if we can win there and there. Okay, but what about the squad and tactics and substitutions and ambition on the pitch and our general level of performance. I mean we were absolutely awful today. Was that an Arsenal team? I really fucking hope not. And that has been the level of our performance for most of this season. Yes, we are "in" the CL, technically. But you know it's only that. We have zero chance of doing anything in that competition. He couldn't even win it with Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Vieira at his disposal. Come on, snap out of it!

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:30 PM
I too can agree with some of NQs frustrations, really I do. But it could be a whole heap worse, and in many previous seasons has been.

I agree with him that Leicester shouldn't be kicking our arses but...well, they're kicking everyone's arses so that reflects badly on everyone.
I've no idea what they're playing at this season, if there do win it then it will be the best thing to happen in football for a very long time.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 09:31 PM

I think this season will go down as one of the most frustrating because we are out of excuses. We have the new TV deal money along with our new sponsorship money so can afford to spend big in the transfer window. City have practically sabotaged their own season with this Pep fiasco. Man Utd and Chelsea are nothing to worry about. But the biscuit is seeing Leicester take advantage of our rivals instability whilst we can't and we're the most stable team out of all of our rivals.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:32 PM
But this is exactly what many are talking about. Wenger has this ability to persuade people his bog standard average bullshit is acceptable. It could be worse. It might get better, judge him at the end of the season, it's not over yet, if we can win there and there. Okay, but what about the squad and tactics and substitutions and ambition on the pitch and our general level of performance. I mean we were absolutely awful today. Was that an Arsenal team? I really fucking hope not. And that has been the level of our performance for most of this season. Yes, we are "in" the CL, technically. But you know it's only that. We have zero chance of doing anything in that competition. He couldn't even win it with Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Vieira at his disposal. Come on, snap out of it!

But this `bog standard average bullshit` has us second in league, in FA Cup and CL! You quote me as "in" the CL, and we are! we might lose, but we might win, its 50/50. You cant judge on something that hasnt happened yet.

Power n Glory
07-02-2016, 09:35 PM
Nobody wants dull, (I dont for sure, Ive been spoilt by Henry/pires/berkamp etc!!) but chelsea `dulled` it to the title from december on last season, and I would take that!

I'm not saying I wouldn't either. It's just I don't get what Wenger is seeing with his team selection. If he thought we didn't create really great chances in our last game, there is no way he can say we created better quality chances in this one. So saying that, surely he makes a change to the midfield pairing or maybe the striker up top? We have some serious games coming up and I can't see him tinkering so late on but he really should. I think we're in serious trouble if we play this team again.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:35 PM

That's the fundamental difference then. I despised the chavs for what they did last season. It was the antithesis of everything I believe sporting endeavour to be about.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:38 PM
But this `bog standard average bullshit` has us second in league, in FA Cup and CL! You quote me as "in" the CL, and we are! we might lose, but we might win, its 50/50. You cant judge on something that hasnt happened yet.

We've already lost to Barca. It just hasn't happened yet, but trust me on this, And if it wasn't them it would be take your pick. We haven't been in that competition for years, not in a meaningful way. Manager has been shown up so many times now, is it really that difficult to predict what happens? JHC even Di Matteo could figure out the basics - the basics being let the players manage the team. I wish Wenger would do that.

Xhaka Can’t
07-02-2016, 09:38 PM

We are not joint 2nd. That is spin. We're third.

That midfield partnership is a prime reason why and there is no way he should be persisting with this regardless of the situation.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:39 PM

We aren't second. That goal difference actually counts. We are third to Leicester City and the spuds. All we can really take from that is we're not the only "big" club that has been humiliated.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:41 PM
That's the fundamental difference then. I despised the chavs for what they did last season. It was the antithesis of everything I believe sporting endeavour to be about.

what, winning?

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:43 PM
We aren't second. That goal difference actually counts.

splitting hairs.

Would you be annoyed if wenger wins the title this year?

Letters
07-02-2016, 09:44 PM
I think this season will go down as one of the most frustrating because we are out of excuses. We have the new TV deal money along with our new sponsorship money so can afford to spend big in the transfer window. City have practically sabotaged their own season with this Pep fiasco. Man Utd and Chelsea are nothing to worry about. But the biscuit is seeing Leicester take advantage of our rivals instability whilst we can't and we're the most stable team out of all of our rivals.

I agree. Actually, fun it - Wenger probably should be sacked if we don't win it this year. I don't agree he should be sacked if he does but Chelsea have imploded, Utd are not up to much, City could well be destabilized by the Pep thing. We are the most stable club and we shouldn't be finishing below Spurs or Leicester.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:50 PM
splitting hairs.

Would you be annoyed if wenger wins the title this year?

Yes very. But delighted if the team can do it because it would mean our better players might stay.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider it a Wenger win, I'd consider it the players somehow dragging his arse along despite his antics.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:53 PM
what, winning?

Winning by playing the game and being the best at it, not destroying it. You can win in many ways, some ways are worth of tribute others are worthy of contempt.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Anyway, I wouldn't consider it a Wenger win, I'd consider it the players somehow dragging his arse along despite his antics.

of course :yawn::yawn:

Right Im done here. I will say its not perfect, but its not as bad as some make out.

alexander
07-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Winning by playing the game and being the best at it, not destroying it. You can win in many ways, some ways are worth of tribute others are worthy of contempt.

winning the league is being the best at it. better than all the other teams.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 09:57 PM
of course :yawn::yawn:

Right Im done here. I will say its not perfect, but its not as bad as some make out.

Good quote to end on. In the pursuit of excellence, things aren't as bad as some make out.

KSE Comedy Club
07-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Flamini should be facing a ban now. Filthy tackle and uneccessary.

Utter dickhead tbh.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Utter dickhead tbh.

Well Coq has been in training for 3 weeks now so maybe, just maybe, after another week's training Wenger might consider him fit to play in place of Flamini.

Marc Overmars
07-02-2016, 10:30 PM

There's nothing 50/50 about the Barca tie bro. We're toast.

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Utter dickhead tbh.

We can't have a go at Tiny and the victim Shawcross without keeping an eye on this Flamini bloke. That's horrible what he's doing there. And he has a history of it.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/07/13/30F7D0DA00000578-0-image-m-30_1454852839748.jpg

Niall_Quinn
07-02-2016, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFG5z0lOl4

Marc Overmars
07-02-2016, 10:53 PM
We can't have a go at Tiny and the victim Shawcross without keeping an eye on this Flamini bloke. That's horrible what he's doing there. And he has a history of it.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/07/13/30F7D0DA00000578-0-image-m-30_1454852839748.jpg

He is a muppet. Being Ozil's bestie will probably earn him a contract extension.

KSE Comedy Club
08-02-2016, 07:22 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/02/07/13/30F7D0DA00000578-0-image-m-30_1454852839748.jpgWengers answer to this: "a red would've been harsh"

"I thought it was going to be a foul for us when I saw it live"

Really?! Fucking really!!??!!

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 07:35 AM
It's not the first two footed challenge we've seen from Flamini.

Gooner23
08-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Missed the game so didn't see that. What a moron, that could of really cost us yesterday. Have to hope Coq starts against Leicester. Also need Alexis to start firing again to have any chance of reeling them in. I still remain totally unconvinced we have the manager and players to win it.

Özim
08-02-2016, 02:17 PM

50/50 really? Barca are going to tear us a new one, their forward line will destroy our back line, wouldn't be surprised to see us lose 4-5 nil in the 2nd leg, at home we may get a lucky win if they have an off night in front of goal (as they have before) but we have preciselty zero chance of beating Barca, therefore your 50/50 assessment is delusional to say the least.

Munchies
08-02-2016, 02:20 PM
50/50 really? Barca are going to tear us a new one, their forward line will destroy our back line, wouldn't be surprised to see us lose 4-5 nil in the 2nd leg, at home we may get a lucky win if they have an off night in front of goal (as they have before) but we have preciselty zero chance of beating Barca, therefore your 50/50 assessment is delusional to say the least.

:gp:

write it off and play the reserves

selassie
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM

write it off and play the reserves

Yeah the Barca games are just a distraction for me, written that one off as soon as the draw was made.

It's no shame to lose to them over 2 legs, they are the best team in Europe IMO, think it could get embarrassing over at the Nou Camp though, can see us getting a real hiding there.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-02-2016, 02:27 PM

Flamini takes pride in hurting people and whilst there is something commendable about it, he hasn't got the technique to get away with doing that and remaining on a pitch for 90 minutes.
If you go in with two feet off the ground you run the risk of doing considerable harm and if you get the ball it's more a case of good fortune, he should have been sent off

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2016, 02:31 PM
You can see Ramsey looking on as the tackle is made. I wonder if anything crossed his mind?

GP
08-02-2016, 02:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPRp5X_GSkk

IBK
08-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Flamini takes pride in hurting people and whilst there is something commendable about it, he hasn't got the technique to get away with doing that and remaining on a pitch for 90 minutes.
If you go in with two feet off the ground you run the risk of doing considerable harm and if you get the ball it's more a case of good fortune, he should have been sent off

I think that's a bit harsh. He has a tendency to the wild tackle, but I think that is because of his limitations as a player rather than a desire to cause injury.

Marc Overmars
08-02-2016, 02:41 PM
I have absolutely no idea why someone would tackle like that. A dropkick FFS.

The Emirates Gallactico
08-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Fucking mindless and could have cost us again had another ref decided to give red.

Said it earlier but for the love of god, please say Coquelin will be ready for the next game.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2016, 02:52 PM
I think that's a bit harsh. He has a tendency to the wild tackle, but I think that is because of his limitations as a player rather than a desire to cause injury.

I don't mind the fact he has a bit of bottle, when most of our lot don't. But the OTT stuff is crazy, not only because it can cause serious injury, but in this instance because if we lose a man after 7 minutes then our whole title bid, hanging by a thread anyway, can go out the window. It's like his brain shuts off. He's too big a liability for this point in the season. No idea why he was playing anyway. Idiotic.

Globalgunner
08-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah the Barca games are just a distraction for me, written that one off as soon as the draw was made.

It's no shame to lose to them over 2 legs, they are the best team in Europe IMO, think it could get embarrassing over at the Nou Camp though, can see us getting a real hiding there.

The only positive i see is that even Wenger has sussed that playing Mertesacker is suicidal in this tie. My guess is that is why gabriel has been playing since the lanky one got sent off. Gabriel has his faults, mostly due to being rusted over from sitting on the bench watching Merts sideways passes, but at least he can run and wont fall like a totem pole while trying to turn quickly as Neymar sprints around him.
We have no hope against Barca, but it shouldnt be that way. Not 10 years after we were told moving into a new stadium would put us amongst Europes elites.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 03:29 PM
The only positive i see is that even Wenger has sussed that playing Mertesacker is suicidal in this tie. My guess is that is why gabriel has been playing since the lanky one got sent off. Gabriel has his faults, mostly due to being rusted over from sitting on the bench watching Merts sideways passes, but at least he can run and wont fall like a totem pole while trying to turn quickly as Neymar sprints around him.
We have no hope against Barca, but it shouldnt be that way. Not 10 years after we were told moving into a new stadium would put us amongst Europes elites.

Gabriel hasn't be good and pretty sure you'd pounce on the sort of mistakes he's made so far if it Merts playing instead. Failed miserably to deal with a ball over the top but lucikly bailed out by Bellerin and was lucky not to give away a pen against Southampton.

I'm not convinced and so far we haven't played teams that have really put the pressure on us so he needs to sharpen up.

Globalgunner
08-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Gabriel hasn't be good and pretty sure you'd pounce on the sort of mistakes he's made so far if it Merts playing instead. Failed miserably to deal with a ball over the top but lucikly bailed out by Bellerin and was lucky not to give away a pen against Southampton.

I'm not convinced and so far we haven't played teams that have really put the pressure on us so he needs to sharpen up.

The above is not exactly praise of Gabriel if you read it closely. We have essentially 4 CBs only 2 of them are good enough to play Barca. What in your mind are Mertesackers attributes and how do they play against Barcas attack? The question yop have to ask yourself is. How do you like your spankings. Mild, Bruising or Bloody?.

Niall_Quinn
08-02-2016, 03:39 PM
What in your mind are Mertesackers attributes and how do they play against Barcas attack?

That's got to be a trick question.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 04:07 PM
The above is not exactly praise of Gabriel if you read it closely. We have essentially 4 CBs only 2 of them are good enough to play Barca. What in your mind are Mertesackers attributes and how do they play against Barcas attack? The question yop have to ask yourself is. How do you like your spankings. Mild, Bruising or Bloody?.

GW has gone gay! What is this? :lol:

No seriously, I think Merts and Kos have a good balance. Merts is more calm and composed. Reads the game well, often snuffs out danger and clears a lot of dangerous balls. When we sit deep he's fine. Him and Kos kept Bayern quiet in the first leg of the Barca game even though we had a lot of pressure. In fact, in the big games against City, Utd, CL games like our Bayern win away some seasons back or Dortmund, he's been solid along with Kos. Since he's arrived in our team, we've looked more stable on defence, Kos especially and we finally have a dependable CB partnership that. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. I remember Kos before he arrived and what we were like when it was Gallas and Toure, or when Verm was paired with Kos. Pace and over aggressive defenders are overrated because both feel they can just dive into tackles without the over one covering.

selassie
08-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Aye, Merts should be kept well away from the Barca ties, like you say Gabriel isn't perfect but he'll be able to deal with the Messi & Co. a lot better than Merts would IMO.

As P'n'G has pointed out Gabriel has been making some quite "high profile" errors since his promotion to the first team but I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as like you say he's rusty etc, I do like Gabriel, think he has a lot of potential.

I partly put us having no hope down to the way we are tactically setup or not setup, but I do think Messi, Neymar & Suarez will just be too much for us, I also think their Midfield will toy with ours, the saving grace is we have Cech, that won't be enough to get us through.

I do agree, we should be much further ahead in CL, we are quite clearly a 2nd tier CL team now and it's quite comical TBH.

Globalgunner
08-02-2016, 04:31 PM
GW has gone gay! What is this? :lol:

No seriously, I think Merts and Kos have a good balance. Merts is more calm and composed. Reads the game well, often snuffs out danger and clears a lot of dangerous balls. When we sit deep he's fine. Him and Kos kept Bayern quiet in the first leg of the Barca game even though we had a lot of pressure. In fact, in the big games against City, Utd, CL games like our Bayern win away some seasons back or Dortmund, he's been solid along with Kos. Since he's arrived in our team, we've looked more stable on defence, Kos especially and we finally have a dependable CB partnership that. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. I remember Kos before he arrived and what we were like when it was Gallas and Toure, or when Verm was paired with Kos. Pace and over aggressive defenders are overrated because both feel they can just dive into tackles without the over one covering.

Okay we differ, I have seen Merts over 5 seasons now and he is going nowhere. He is good for some types of games where the play is all in front of him and he does not face pacy attackers harrying him from the whistle. His nemesis is the ball over the top. This led to his last red card. An astute manager will not have him so high up the field, but alas we do not have an astute manager. I dont mind him coming back against other PL teams in the run in, but against Barca I would prefer Gabriel. If anything Gabriel is not aggressive enough, he needs to hold his own against the brutes in the EPL. In his favour however, he can keep pace with the best of strikers. He will need it against Barca.
(BTW: Have double checked this time. No double entendres or Homo terms included this time)

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Okay we differ, I have seen Merts over 5 seasons now and he is going nowhere. He is good for some types of games where the play is all in front of him and he does not face pacy attackers harrying him from the whistle. His nemesis is the ball over the top. This led to his last red card. An astute manager will not have him so high up the field, but alas we do not have an astute manager. I dont mind him coming back against other PL teams in the run in, but against Barca I would prefer Gabriel. If anything Gabriel is not aggressive enough, he needs to hold his own against the brutes in the EPL. In his favour however, he can keep pace with the best of strikers. He will need it against Barca.
(BTW: Have double checked this time. No double entendres or Homo terms included this time)

And against Barca, that's where the game will be. Right in front of us. We'll need to be organised for that game with plenty of communication and understanding. I'm not sure if Gabriel is the man for that just yet. He has the physical attributes but the understanding between him and Kos just isn't there yet.

As for Merts getting ripped against faster opponents...that's predicted and he's coped. Just don't play a highline.

Globalgunner
08-02-2016, 06:41 PM
And against Barca, that's where the game will be. Right in front of us. We'll need to be organised for that game with plenty of communication and understanding. I'm not sure if Gabriel is the man for that just yet. He has the physical attributes but the understanding between him and Kos just isn't there yet.

As for Merts getting ripped against faster opponents...that's predicted and he's coped. Just don't play a highline.

Youre forgetting who our manager is. Game against Chelsea was his last game. Up at the middle of his own half , ball over the top, Costa clear, Merts doing his Mr Fantastic impersonation. Leg stretch, Costa tumbles 10 yards clutching his face. If you think Barca are going to play in front of us you have not been watching them at all. Neymar will be in behind us unless Merts and Bellerin are parked on top of Cechs bib.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Youre forgetting who our manager is. Game against Chelsea was his last game. Up at the middle of his own half , ball over the top, Costa clear, Merts doing his Mr Fantastic impersonation. Leg stretch, Costa tumbles 10 yards clutching his face. If you think Barca are going to play in front of us you have not been watching them at all. Neymar will be in behind us unless Merts and Bellerin are parked on top of Cechs bib.

We won't play a highline against Barca. Chelsea are a struggling team so the circumstances were different.

Globalgunner
08-02-2016, 07:04 PM
You really think Wenger has learnt his lesson. What about the 2006 final, Ball over the top.....Brings back memories eh?

Chelsea only struggle against other teams. They wish they could play us every day.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 07:56 PM
2006? Come on you don't even have to go that far back. We've played Barca many times since and have sat deep. Against Bayern we sat deep too. Whether it will work is a different story but regardless of how we're set up play, even if Wenger is foolish enough to try and play a highline, we'll naturally get pinned back into our box.

Özim
08-02-2016, 08:22 PM
Frankly it doesn't matter who or how we play against Barca, sit deep, play a high line, pass, pass etc we'll get tonked, the attacking talent they have is frightening, we can't even deal with average teams so when we face a real quality side with so many top notch attackers we'll get a footballling lesson.

Looking forward to seeing the talents on show, expecting a tonking but no matter, worst case Wenger gets shown up for the novice he is at that level.

Yes they have Messi, but they now have a couple other players in Suarez and Neymar who have pace and make Barca a much better side to watch than they use to be, sure the Guardiola team won a lot but they were very one dimensional and boring to watch at times.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-02-2016, 08:25 PM
I think we can possibly sneak a win at the Emirates, granted we'll most likely get battered at the Camp Nou but that's just going to happen to every team in the CL.

Özim
08-02-2016, 08:27 PM
I think we can possibly sneak a win at the Emirates, granted we'll most likely get battered at the Camp Nou but that's just going to happen to every team in the CL.

If we do sneak it it will be a lucky smash and grab, every single time Barca have played at the Emirates they've played us off the park, it just so happens they've had a few off days in front of goals.

Still remember the time they came over and we didn't touch the ball for the 1st 20 minutes, can't see us winning with their forward line, they have some ruthless finishers now which they didn't really have before other than Messi and he rarely turned up when he played us.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Of course it'll be a fluke, they pretty much have a better player than us in every outfield position.

And the game you are referring to is the first one I think, 2009/10. We were battered, didn't concede. Second half starts, 0-2 down barely any time gone. :doh:

I think Messi has turned up in three of the four we played. Granted we had Silvestre against him in the return leg 2010. :haha:

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 08:35 PM
I think the team will be pumped for the game and give is another false hope like they always do. A heroic exit as usual against these sort of teams.

Marc Overmars
08-02-2016, 08:56 PM
We just have to hope Barca have an off day. Well, 2 off days.

Bit of a free hit as far as I'm concerned, I'd probably be ok with heroic failure here at least as long as we don't embarrass ourselves at some point over the 2 legs.

Power n Glory
08-02-2016, 09:06 PM
We just have to hope Barca have an off day. Well, 2 off days.

Bit of a free hit as far as I'm concerned, I'd probably be ok with heroic failure here at least as long as we don't embarrass ourselves at some point over the 2 legs.

I don't think there is anything Barca can do that will embarrass us that we haven't already seen. Bayern giving us a beating, Southampton... Leicester being top of the league....they'd have to put 9 past us in one game to out do what we haven't already seen. And even that wouldn't be that embarrassing because it's Barca.

AFC Leveller
08-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Barcelona are miles ahead of us, there is no way we will knock them out. Yes we will cause them a fee issues at home and probably get a decent result but at the Noucamp they are simply irresistible and very hard to stop.

Something along the lines of 2-2 at home and a 5-1 loss I'm the return leg.

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2016, 10:12 PM
If we do sneak it it will be a lucky smash and grab, every single time Barca have played at the Emirates they've played us off the park, it just so happens they've had a few off days in front of goals.

Still remember the time they came over and we didn't touch the ball for the 1st 20 minutes, can't see us winning with their forward line, they have some ruthless finishers now which they didn't really have before other than Messi and he rarely turned up when he played us.

That simply isn't true.

Kano
08-02-2016, 10:24 PM
The more worrying thing about a thumping away to Barca is the effect it might have on the team once again. The Bayern one threw us off for the next three matches earlier in the season. These sorts of defeats can't be isolated and thought of as having no effect on the team afterwards.

Xhaka Can’t
08-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Conversely, the avoidance of a thumping can act as a confidence builder even if we don't progress.

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 12:33 AM
No point in trying to predict how results will effect the team. After beating City we take a serve beating at Southampton the following game. After Barca we have Utd at Old Trafford. We lose I wouldn't blame it on the CL game.

mastermind84
09-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Barcelona are not as great as they used to be. Their front 3 is immense and the best in football but that defense is wobbly and their midfield is nowhere near as as strong when the GOAT Xavi was running things.

Saying that, we lose 4-1 over 2 legs.

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 09:26 AM

From Arseblog this morning. Mirrors my thoughts.

Gabriel can play with both of them pretty well, so that’s a step forward for this squad. I’m not yet 100% convinced that he and Koscielny go together as effectively as one of them + the BFG, where the contrast in styles brings out the best of both defenders. The German’s reading of the game allied with the more aggressive, high risk approach of Koscielny or Gabriel seems a better fit.

We hear all the time about how Mertesacker’s pace is an issue, but it’s more a sound-bite than reality. The red card against Chelsea had something to do with that, and a mistimed challenge, but it’s usually very rare that we see forwards streaking away from him. Indeed, we saw that it can happen to Gabriel against Bournemouth, so it’s not as if his presence prevents that kind of issue completely.

What I would say is that we’ve generally been much better as a team in preventing those kinds of opportunities for the opposition. That pass to Costa at the Emirates could have been stopped – where’s your lunatic tackle there, Flamini? – and with a more solid midfield I don’t think that passage of play would have worked out the way it did. There are teams that have won titles with defenders just as slow, so it’s not all down to how fast you can run. That’s a pretty primitive way of looking at it.

selassie
09-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Barcelona are not as great as they used to be. Their front 3 is immense and the best in football but that defense is wobbly and their midfield is nowhere near as as strong when the GOAT Xavi was running things.

I'm not sure I agree that Barca are not as great as they used to be, they are different to that great team that Pep managed and don't play pure "tiki taka" like they used to but if anything they are more versatile these days.

They have come off the back of the treble, I think last season saw their team really settle into it's style and form it's identity. I see no real reason why their current team can't dominate like the Pep team did, they have pretty much won all of their big games for a year, many of them with ease by systematically dismantling their opponents.

I do agree that their Midfield is not as strong, but they have different qualities now, the Busquets, Rakitic & Iniesta trio is as good as anything out there, they have superb depth now too with the likes of Arda Turan and Sergi Roberto filling in, even Mascherano plays their sometimes.

They have more depth in Defence too...it's their weakest area but it's still way above average.

Özim
09-02-2016, 09:54 AM
That simply isn't true.

When have they not, when they came over the 1st time they controlled them game but just missed chance after chance, even when we beat them they controlled large parts and we just caught them on the break.

Özim
09-02-2016, 09:57 AM

They're a far more versatile in their play, previous sides have been all about pass pass and if you played the right way (like Chelsea) you could more often than not stifle them and restrict their chances, now they have pace and can be more direct, they also have several genuine goal threats whereas before they relied too much on Messi.

Personally I think they're more dangerous and have more goals in them now, honestly think their forwards will have a field day against our defence and only Cech will keep the score down, Suarez, Neymar and Messi that's an unbelievable front 3, most teams would love to have just one of those three (we would) and they've managed to assemble 3.

The fact is other than our keeper none of the areas of our team are that great, up front we're not great, the midfield isn't all that and neither is the defence.

Marc Overmars
09-02-2016, 09:59 AM
You're never going to have a semblance of control against Barca. Just have to hope you can weather the storm and make the most of the limited chances that may come your way.

Özim
09-02-2016, 10:02 AM
The thing about them now whcih they didn't have in the past is that they have several players who can score a goal out of nothing and don't require passing it into the net, even if a team gets on top the likes of Suarez and Neymar can hit a 30 yarder and put them back in it, far more dangerous a team than before.

selassie
09-02-2016, 10:12 AM
They're a far more versatile in their play, previous sides have been all about pass pass and if you played the right way (like Chelsea) you could more often than not stifle them and restrict their chances, now they have pace and can be more direct, they also have several genuine goal threats whereas before they relied too much on Messi.

Personally I think they're more dangerous and have more goals in them now, honestly think their forwards will have a field day against our defence and only Cech will keep the score down, Suarez, Neymar and Messi that's an unbelievable front 3, most teams would love to have just one of those three (we would) and they've managed to assemble 3.

The fact is other than our keeper none of the areas of our team are that great, up front we're not great, the midfield isn't all that and neither is the defence.

Yeah totally agree with this, offensively no other team comes close to them in the world, it's not just Messi now, it's him, Neymar and Suarez. Even without Messi they were still blitzing teams, I watched them tear Real a new one in the El Classico without Messi.

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Yeah totally agree with this, offensively no other team comes close to them in the world, it's not just Messi now, it's him, Neymar and Suarez. Even without Messi they were still blitzing teams, I watched them tear Real a new one in the El Classico without Messi.

Mate, we've got Ozil. It will be fine. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
09-02-2016, 10:43 AM
There's one super, super slim chance to beat them over two legs and that's to hit them relentlessly with everything we have in terms of pace and basically not give a fuck if they score a few. Theo, Ox and Alexis bombing forward with Ozil supplying the ammo, basic, agricultural, relentless and see if we catch them cold and outscore them. Highly unlikely but I can't envisage any other route to coming out on top after two games. Ramsey will have to be iron willed in terms of discipline, if he has it in his locker. Obviously Flamini can't play. I mean OBVIOUSLY Flamini can't play.

If we try to play them, if we play a slow, tippy tappy (or "patient" as Wenger would call it) game then maybe, just maybe we can fluke a draw at home but we'll never fluke two in a row and we'll get annihilated in at least one of the matches. This is how we'll play, I'm betting.

We also have to try to avoid gifting them by getting a player sent off. This may be hard to do.

We mustn't play Flamini.

selassie
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Mate, we've got Ozil. It will be fine. :lol:

Özim
09-02-2016, 11:56 AM
There's one super, super slim chance to beat them over two legs and that's to hit them relentlessly with everything we have in terms of pace and basically not give a fuck if they score a few. Theo, Ox and Alexis bombing forward with Ozil supplying the ammo, basic, agricultural, relentless and see if we catch them cold and outscore them. Highly unlikely but I can't envisage any other route to coming out on top after two games. Ramsey will have to be iron willed in terms of discipline, if he has it in his locker. Obviously Flamini can't play. I mean OBVIOUSLY Flamini can't play.

If we try to play them, if we play a slow, tippy tappy (or "patient" as Wenger would call it) game then maybe, just maybe we can fluke a draw at home but we'll never fluke two in a row and we'll get annihilated in at least one of the matches. This is how we'll play, I'm betting.

We also have to try to avoid gifting them by getting a player sent off. This may be hard to do.

We mustn't play Flamini.

Unless they have a monumental off days in two legs outscoring a team with that amount of firepower is very very very unlikely, in this scenario we have to accept, they're a bigger club, with better players and a better manager and that if they show up we'll get a pasting as they're on a different planet to us as a club and team. Ironically the whole point of the stadium was supposedly to compete with these teams, we're however as far as we've ever been from them.

It must be good to be a Barcelona fan and know that your club prioritises football over anything else.

mastermind84
09-02-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure I agree that Barca are not as great as they used to be, they are different to that great team that Pep managed and don't play pure "tiki taka" like they used to but if anything they are more versatile these days.

They have come off the back of the treble, I think last season saw their team really settle into it's style and form it's identity. I see no real reason why their current team can't dominate like the Pep team did, they have pretty much won all of their big games for a year, many of them with ease by systematically dismantling their opponents.

I do agree that their Midfield is not as strong, but they have different qualities now, the Busquets, Rakitic & Iniesta trio is as good as anything out there, they have superb depth now too with the likes of Arda Turan and Sergi Roberto filling in, even Mascherano plays their sometimes.

They have more depth in Defence too...it's their weakest area but it's still way above average.

Yeah I think their attack is better (well I think the 08/09 attack was the best but I'm biased) but I don't think the rest of the team is as strong nor is their management as strong.

If we had Cazorla I would wager we could get control of the middle.

Kano
09-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Unless they have a monumental off days in two legs outscoring a team with that amount of firepower is very very very unlikely, in this scenario we have to accept, they're a bigger club, with better players and a better manager and that if they show up we'll get a pasting as they're on a different planet to us as a club and team. Ironically the whole point of the stadium was supposedly to compete with these teams, we're however as far as we've ever been from them.

It must be good to be a Barcelona fan and know that your club prioritises football over anything else.

It must feel good. Helps a lot when the club are exempt from paying tax and can spend whatever they want essentially, especially at a time of strict austerity in Spain. Barca are just as big as cunts as the Real who fall into the same bracket. Helps to keep ticket prices down at Barca but they take that back out of the fans pockets elsewhere in everyday life.

Niall_Quinn
09-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Yes, very, very and indeed very, unlikely. But far more likely than if we opt to try and outplay them. Especially as our guys seem to have forgotten how to pass.

Özim
09-02-2016, 01:05 PM
It must feel good. Helps a lot when the club are exempt from paying tax and can spend whatever they want essentially, especially at a time of strict austerity in Spain. Barca are just as big as cunts as the Real who fall into the same bracket. Helps to keep ticket prices down at Barca but they take that back out of the fans pockets elsewhere in everyday life.

Ultimately they've got the money and spend it and do make sure the football is always good and results are up to scratch, they make enough money as they're a massive club who win and thus benefit from this, I prefer the win and reap the rewards method over the don't win, don't spend but still get every penny out of the fans method personally.

We might not have all the advantages they have, but we certainly have enough money and had we prioritised success over financial success we'd probably make more money as well.

In the end though regardless about what you think of the club the fans are getting a good deal. People have a low opinion of the likes of Real and Barcelona but look at what our own club does, we're hardly in a position to take the moral high ground.

Kano
09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimately they've got the money and spend it and do make sure the football is always good and results are up to scratch, they make enough money as they're a massive club who win and thus benefit from this, I prefer the win and reap the rewards method over the don't win, don't spend but still get every penny out of the fans method personally.

We might not have all the advantages they have, but we certainly have enough money and had we prioritised success over financial success we'd probably make more money as well.

In the end though regardless about what you think of the club the fans are getting a good deal. People have a low opinion of the likes of Real and Barcelona but look at what our own club does, we're hardly in a position to take the moral high ground.

You can take the high moral ground as a decent person not happy seeing an organisation, football club or not, not paying taxes and taking the absolute piss out the economy that is helping them out enormously. What Arsenal do is fucked up but that doesn't excuse the fact Barca and Real are robbing their own fans by not paying directly back into the economy around them. Hardly my idea of a good deal. You don't have to compare one to the other to realise that both are corrupt ways of running a business.

Özim
09-02-2016, 02:10 PM
You can take the high moral ground as a decent person not happy seeing an organisation, football club or not, not paying taxes and taking the absolute piss out the economy that is helping them out enormously. What Arsenal do is fucked up but that doesn't excuse the fact Barca and Real are robbing their own fans by not paying directly back into the economy around them. Hardly my idea of a good deal. You don't have to compare one to the other to realise that both are corrupt ways of running a business.

They're not breaking any laws, that's not their problem it's down to the government of their country, they are simply doing what they are allowed to do just like any club would. Moreover you'll probably struggle to find any Barcelona fans complaining about this, their fans are happy with the way their club approaches football.

Big companies always take advantage of things like this (just look at Google etc) but the fact are they aren't doing anything they're not allowed to do, this an entirely different argument however whilst morally you can question what they do what I'm more interested is the football side which put a great emphasis on, hence the reason they are so successful.

Letters
09-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Moreover you'll probably struggle to find any Barcelona fans complaining about this, their fans are happy with the way their club approaches football.
Yeah, funny that.
The Chav and Citeh fans weren't too bothered when the billionaires started spunking money around till they won titles. Football fans are idiots, they don't care what the club does if they're successful. Doesn't make it right.

Özim
09-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Yeah, funny that.
The Chav and Citeh fans weren't too bothered when the billionaires started spunking money around till they won titles. Football fans are idiots, they don't care what the club does if they're successful. Doesn't make it right.

As long as they're getting a good deal they don't care, it's the same in most walks of life. The only people it bothers is the people on the outside envious of their success.

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Premier League clubs and players dodge taxes too and have been doing so for years. This is a ridiculous argument. No point in trying to rope in taxes and the economy to this argument because we'll be here all day. Most corporate companies avoid paying taxes. This is just a simple case of wanting the club to cut the fans that support them some slack.

Özim
09-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Premier League clubs and players dodge taxes too and have been doing so for years. This is a ridiculous argument. No point in trying to rope in taxes and the economy to this argument because we'll be here all day. Most corporate companies avoid paying taxes. This is just a simple case of wanting the club to cut the fans that support them some slack.

Spot on, we saved money on players wages through clever methods for years before those options were shutdown all clubs do it, just seems to me other fans are envious of other clubs success and try to find a reason as to why it doesn't count.

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Yeah, funny that.

No, it's 'idiotic' paying to watch this shit which is why men like Stan can take advantage and want in on the action.

Kano
09-02-2016, 02:31 PM
They're not breaking any laws, that's not their problem it's down to the government of their country, they are simply doing what they are allowed to do just like any club would. Moreover you'll probably struggle to find any Barcelona fans complaining about this, their fans are happy with the way their club approaches football.

Big companies always take advantage of things like this (just look at Google etc) but the fact are they aren't doing anything they're not allowed to do, this an entirely different argument however whilst morally you can question what they do what I'm more interested is the football side which put a great emphasis on, hence the reason they are so successful.
Of course no laws are being broken but that doesn't make them any better for that reason. I'd like to be ignorant to the practices of any large organisation but when I find that their common practices affect us all in different ways, that's hard to do. A major reason why so many large companies take advantage of the rule-bending allowed by their relationships with Governments is down to the fact so many people see it as an effort to even question them. So it just continues. And football clubs, just like Arsenal, take the piss. But you're right, this is a different conversation. Bottom line is, football first or not, Barca, Madrid, Bayern whoever you want to name are greedy cunts. Football being a priority or not. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

selassie
09-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Of course no laws are being broken but that doesn't make them any better for that reason. I'd like to be ignorant to the practices of any large organisation but when I find that their common practices affect us all in different ways, that's hard to do. A major reason why so many large companies take advantage of the rule-bending allowed by their relationships with Governments is down to the fact so many people see it as an effort to even question them. So it just continues. And football clubs, just like Arsenal, take the piss. But you're right, this is a different conversation. Bottom line is, football first or not, Barca, Madrid, Bayern whoever you want to name are greedy cunts. Football being a priority or not. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

Off topic I know but It's no different to the big investment banks in London essentially not paying corporation taxes...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/five-of-worlds-biggest-investment-banks-pay-no-uk-corporation-tax-a6783716.html

What did the government say at the time after 2007? "we will regulate the banking industry and the city", Oh how I laughed.

The thing is, if you take the moral high ground with this stance regarding these major corporations you would find yourself not supporting or buying into a lot of everyday commercial/investment products, ISA's, Shares, Google, Apple, Starbucks, PL football clubs, the list goes on & on.

Kano
09-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Off topic I know but It's no different to the big investment banks in London essentially not paying corporation taxes...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/five-of-worlds-biggest-investment-banks-pay-no-uk-corporation-tax-a6783716.html

What did the government say at the time after 2007? "we will regulate the banking industry and the city", Oh how I laughed.

The thing is, if you take the moral high ground with this stance regarding these major corporations you would find yourself not supporting or buying into a lot of everyday commercial/investment products, ISA's, Shares, Google, Apple, Starbucks, PL football clubs, the list goes on & on.
Well yes, absolutely and pretty much everything you've listed above I don't buy into. It is an neverending list, which is a sad indictment on the current economical set-up and neoliberal attitude that has infested our everyday lives and our own, which were once, simple escapes from the daily grind. That's part of the reason why I've stepped back from bashing Wenger all over the place because there is so much other bullshit that incroaches into football today that I want to try to enjoy the little 90 minutes I can get away from that crap. I think you have to take the high moral ground wherever you can, rather than just shrug and say 'that's the way it is' because that's what allowed PL clubs, for example, the opportunity to set ticket prices so high. Now the fight is on to try and get them back down but because it was ignored for so long, the struggle is twice as hard. Give these fuckers an inch and they'll brand up a mile. Of course, there are some things that are unavoidable that you have to engage with but I think if you have a brain and an ounce of intelligence (the general use of you, rather than actually meaning you Selassie) then you need to think about who and what you do allow into your life.

Niall_Quinn
09-02-2016, 07:11 PM

The news comes days after a Sunday Times investigation revealed that the video-streaming service Netflix paid no corporation tax last year despite generating an estimated £200m in revenue from its 4.5 million British subscribers. Any profits from the UK in 2014 were booked overseas. There is no suggestion Netflix broke the law.

See how it works? This is the real purpose of government and the legal system. The rest is just livestock management.

Xhaka Can’t
09-02-2016, 08:20 PM
When have they not, when they came over the 1st time they controlled them game but just missed chance after chance, even when we beat them they controlled large parts and we just caught them on the break.

At the match I was at (the one where Henry returned), Barca were praying for the final whistle.

Kano
09-02-2016, 08:21 PM

This is a well timed and fitting addendum to my reply to this post earlier too:

http://youtu.be/giWC3WtwoNE

Power n Glory
09-02-2016, 09:47 PM
That's part of the reason why I've stepped back from bashing Wenger all over the place because there is so much other bullshit that incroaches into football today that I want to try to enjoy the little 90 minutes I can get away from that crap.

Most people can't enjoy the 90 minutes, hence the complaints and 'bashing' on here. The soundbites we constantly get from Wenger fuels this type of discussion. The contradictions about needing all the revenue for players but not actually spending in key areas that need strengthening, excuses about inflated transfer fees, financial doping, China, strikers not being available....all excuses we just don't want to hear. Especially when you're paying a hefty amount for it each year and it's a luxury you really can't afford. It's much harder to enjoy the football especially when this is the sort of rhetoric churned out year on year with each underwhelming season. It would be different if fans went digging for this info but it's mostly Wenger offering up his opinion/explanation, trying to redefine success and fan expectations. Linking all this in with Barca's tax avoidance and what modern day companies do, economics...it's just missing the point.

Barca and clubs like Bayern know who their customers/fans are and try to provide a good service. Same goes for giants like Google, Netflix, Starbucks and the rest of the tax dodgers if we're linking this to the corporate world. Regardless of the ethics, motivation and greed of the people running those organisations, they know their fortune is linked to the customers/fans, hence why they try to deliver for them and not piss them off. Arsenal FC and Wenger have been sticking their fingers up at the fans/customers for a long time now and coming up with lame excuses year after year. That's what's pissing people off on here and why it's hard to enjoy the football.

I'm a Netflix customer and it's messed up that they're tax dodgers but their isn't much I can do about that. But if, for example, their standards started to slip and they weren't getting new shows, had buffering and streaming issues, service shut down for hours...etc....I'd expect an apology and improvements. I don't expect excuses as to why the service is sub par. Saying Amazon and Sky are buying up rights and inflating prices wouldn't cut it. Blaming faulty technical equipment for the poor service wouldn't cut it. It would take the biscuit even more if that was the yearly excuse but you then get a email saying they're bumping up the subscription fee but not actually improve the service. In fact, when criticised by the press and customers about the poor service, I wouldn't expect a defiant speech talking about their years in the business as if they shouldn't be questioned. That's Arsenal FC in a nutshell. It's very difficult to enjoy the football at the moment.

Maestro
10-02-2016, 06:00 AM
Most people can't enjoy the 90 minutes, hence the complaints and 'bashing' on here. The soundbites we constantly get from Wenger fuels this type of discussion. The contradictions about needing all the revenue for players but not actually spending in key areas that need strengthening, excuses about inflated transfer fees, financial doping, China, strikers not being available....all excuses we just don't want to hear. Especially when you're paying a hefty amount for it each year and it's a luxury you really can't afford. It's much harder to enjoy the football especially when this is the sort of rhetoric churned out year on year with each underwhelming season. It would be different if fans went digging for this info but it's mostly Wenger offering up his opinion/explanation, trying to redefine success and fan expectations. Linking all this in with Barca's tax avoidance and what modern day companies do, economics...it's just missing the point.

Barca and clubs like Bayern know who their customers/fans are and try to provide a good service. Same goes for giants like Google, Netflix, Starbucks and the rest of the tax dodgers if we're linking this to the corporate world. Regardless of the ethics, motivation and greed of the people running those organisations, they know their fortune is linked to the customers/fans, hence why they try to deliver for them and not piss them off. Arsenal FC and Wenger have been sticking their fingers up at the fans/customers for a long time now and coming up with lame excuses year after year. That's what's pissing people off on here and why it's hard to enjoy the football.

I'm a Netflix customer and it's messed up that they're tax dodgers but their isn't much I can do about that. But if, for example, their standards started to slip and they weren't getting new shows, had buffering and streaming issues, service shut down for hours...etc....I'd expect an apology and improvements. I don't expect excuses as to why the service is sub par. Saying Amazon and Sky are buying up rights and inflating prices wouldn't cut it. Blaming faulty technical equipment for the poor service wouldn't cut it. It would take the biscuit even more if that was the yearly excuse but you then get a email saying they're bumping up the subscription fee but not actually improve the service. In fact, when criticised by the press and customers about the poor service, I wouldn't expect a defiant speech talking about their years in the business as if they shouldn't be questioned. That's Arsenal FC in a nutshell. It's very difficult to enjoy the football at the moment.

That right there P n G

How some fans are not infuriated by the bile Wenget and board stream out, is quite baffling. Arsenal and Wenget have no respect for the fans whatsoever and constantly insult our intelligence that's why I'm quite comfortable calling them what they are ....cunts!

Win, lose, invest, don't invest, be competent or incompetent at their jobs ....heck I can forgive and live with that but don't take me for a fool or a mug. That's where I've drawn my line and they've long since and continue to blantantly cross it.

Football in England is now just like the crack cocaine business. They're the suppliers/dealers and we're the fiends, and in Wenget Arsenal have one of the best street dealers to grace this drug game. He constantly cuts and dilutes the product and tells punters "this shit right here, this shit is the highest grade ...will blow your mind" And they continue to flock, ques round the corner fiends coming back for more. Fuck that I ain't using and I ain't getting hooked on this shit. I'll grow my own weed thank you very much.

Özim
10-02-2016, 08:01 AM

Totally agree, no other club/comany does or indeed gets away with treating its fans/customers with such contempt, we're a money making machine that not only doesn't care about its customers but also makes it clear it doesn't which is something quite different to the likes of Barca.

AFC Leveller
10-02-2016, 08:15 AM
At the match I was at (the one where Henry returned), Barca were praying for the final whistle.

I remember that too. Ozim says they had chance after chance but thats to be expected as they were probably the greatest ever club side at the time and used to brush aside most teams. The fact that we are unbeaten at home against them is a good omen for us.

Özim
10-02-2016, 09:31 AM

Did they not create a whole host of chances and miss them however? Whether we finished well or not it doesn't change the fact that they playe us off the park for a large part of the match, even when we beat them.

Özim
10-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I remember that too. Ozim says they had chance after chance but thats to be expected as they were probably the greatest ever club side at the time and used to brush aside most teams. The fact that we are unbeaten at home against them is a good omen for us.

Whether we're unbeaten or not won't make a lot of difference, even if we managed a result at home we'd get well beaten away from home, it's just not a tie we can win IMO they just have too many goal threats.

Letters
10-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Did they not create a whole host of chances and miss them however?
Interesting that when we do that you hammer us for it but if a team does it to us then we're just lucky and being outplayed :blah:

Özim
10-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Interesting that when we do that you hammer us for it but if a team does it to us then we're just lucky and being outplayed :blah:

When have we not been lucky against Barca, they've always been a much better side than we are (well in the last 10 years anyway) as we've never progressed and had the players to challenge them.

I don't think we've even played that well against them because they are generally just too good, even when we beat them it needed them to have an off day in front of goal, has they not had we would have lost comfortably.

Whilst it could happent to previous teams as they relied on Messi too much, this team have more top goal threats and you just can't see it happening this time.

In the last 10 years we've neither had good enough players, good enough organisation or tactics, or a good enough team unit to play and beat a team like Barca over two legs.

I make no secret about the fact I don't rate us and haven't really over the last 10 years, we've been a very imcomplete team for far too long now.

AFC Leveller
10-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Whether we're unbeaten or not won't make a lot of difference, even if we managed a result at home we'd get well beaten away from home, it's just not a tie we can win IMO they just have too many goal threats.

I agree that getting a result at the Nou camp is very difficult, they create chance after chance and we dont have the defensive nous to stop them.

Letters
10-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I make no secret about the fact I don't rate us and haven't really over the last 10 years, we've been a very imcomplete team for far too long now.

It's more than you don't rate us, you're just so wearyingly negative about everything about Arsenal.
If we're under the cosh but the opposition don't score then it shows how good they are and we just got lucky.
If we're doing it to another team then it shows how poor we are up front.
:shrug:

You always look put a negative spin in everything with regards to Arsenal.

AFC Leveller
10-02-2016, 10:27 AM
It's more than you don't rate us, you're just so wearyingly negative about everything about Arsenal.
If we're under the cosh but the opposition don't score then it shows how good they are and we just got lucky.

Have to agree. When we win playing poorly folks on here complain that we dont play good football and are boring, when we play really well but not win we don't have the cutting edge etc.

Özim
10-02-2016, 10:30 AM

There's a reason for that, year after year of the same old stuff and a manager who time after time after time after time continues to make the same errors, ignore the same issues and never learn from mistakes, honestly you couldn't make it up, what's even worse is the guy keeps his job because all this football club is interested in is money because they're a company, they couldn't give a toss about what happens on the pitch, on top of that they have the audacity to openly blame fans for all kinds of things and tell them stuff like ticket prices won't go down because we need to spend on players etc when it's well documented that over the last decade we've spent peanuts on players.

What's more we have a manager that is so confident about his job security that he thinks he can say anything he likes without any repercussions (he's kinda right though because there's still some fans who adore the guy, you have to ask why because he doesn't show much repsect for them).

I'm bored of this stuff, I've wanted a change for years and still we're in the same place with the same things going on, you probably could not find one other company in the entire planet that runs like this and is still making money/running.

This club and where is it now is not in a positive place football wise IMO, the stadium was suppose to improve on what we already had, instead we've turned into something completely different which is a shadow of what it use to be, whilst we could compete with top clubs before we moved, we now are miles behind them and never get any closer, but no that's unreasonable let's thank our lucky stars that we've qualified for the CL for the past 20 years or whatever it is coming 3rd/4th because there's not many major trophies but we get one every year.

You have to ask why this club has such limited ambition, people bash Barca and Real but in the end their ambitions is to win the big prizes, they don't limit themselves to qualifying for th CL and pat themselves on the back when that happens, you could accept that if you were a small club with limited resources, but for a club the size of ours, is that really all we are that bothered about?

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Guys! Coo-eeeee!

Here's the link: http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3512&p=498594&viewfull=1#post498594
And the following post.

Whether we played better than Barca or not years back, maybe we did maybe we didn't, who cares considering we're about to be knocked out by them again in the here and now.

Drug dealers and junkies, that's the best analogy I have seen I think. That's exactly what it's like.

Once again, debate commences here: http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3512&p=498594&viewfull=1#post498594

GP
10-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Guys! Coo-eeeee!

http://i2.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article1229738.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Julian%20Clary.jpg

That's you, that it.

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 11:22 AM
http://i2.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article1229738.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Julian%20Clary.jpg

That's you, that it.

You seriously think I'd wear that colour?

Power n Glory
10-02-2016, 11:52 AM
That right there P n G

How some fans are not infuriated by the bile Wenget and board stream out, is quite baffling. Arsenal and Wenget have no respect for the fans whatsoever and constantly insult our intelligence that's why I'm quite comfortable calling them what they are ....cunts!

Win, lose, invest, don't invest, be competent or incompetent at their jobs ....heck I can forgive and live with that but don't take me for a fool or a mug. That's where I've drawn my line and they've long since and continue to blantantly cross it.

Football in England is now just like the crack cocaine business. They're the suppliers/dealers and we're the fiends, and in Wenget Arsenal have one of the best street dealers to grace this drug game. He constantly cuts and dilutes the product and tells punters "this shit right here, this shit is the highest grade ...will blow your mind" And they continue to flock, ques round the corner fiends coming back for more. Fuck that I ain't using and I ain't getting hooked on this shit. I'll grow my own weed thank you very much.

:lol: At least drug dealers go to jail or get shot! In fact, as a user, you have that option to go to another dealer. Not really the case with football. You just have to turn it off and call it a day. Hopefully, the fans will make a statement in the same way Liverpool fans are doing.

Özim
10-02-2016, 12:11 PM
:lol: At least drug dealers go to jail or get shot! In fact, as a user, you have that option to go to another dealer. Not really the case with football. You just have to turn it off and call it a day. Hopefully, the fans will make a statement in the same way Liverpool fans are doing.

Don't hold your breath, Liverpool fans and fans from the north have a tendency to kick up a fuss, our fans just sit there and take it it generally so can't see anything happening other than the odd banner or a few boos that the club just ignores anyway.

Letters
10-02-2016, 12:28 PM
You seriously think I'd wear that colour?

:haha:

Letters
10-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Don't hold your breath, Liverpool fans and fans from the north have a tendency to kick up a fuss, our fans just sit there and take it it generally so can't see anything happening other than the odd banner or a few boos that the club just ignores anyway.

Yeah, that's why Liverpool have been so successful in the last 20 years. Now they have Klopp they're Champions Elect.

Özim
10-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Yeah, that's why Liverpool have been so successful in the last 20 years. Now they have Klopp they're Champions Elect.

They've won the CL and are trying to change things to be successful enough said really? Has Wenger managed any success in Europe?

Wenger's record in Europe is a disgrace to be honest and shows his limitations as a manager, he's had enough chances and yet all he's achieved is one solitary final in the CL and one in the UEFA cup, both that he lost.

WMUG
10-02-2016, 01:10 PM
When have we not been lucky against Barca?

:haha:

Fucking hell.

I mean Jesus Christ.

That is really unbelievable. I always knew you were biased towards the negative, but I thought it was the natural human tendency to find evidence that reinforces what we already believe and to disregard what goes against it. Everyone who's ever made an argument has been guilty of at some point or another, although admittedly, some more than others.
I never thought you were actively purging memories from your mind to fit your narrative.
I guess I was just naïve.

I mean the thinking behind that question flies so blatantly in the face of reality that I can't even bring myself to argue against it, because to do so would be giving a legitimacy it doesn't deserve. It's indicative of either a thought process so rotten and twisted by the arguments it's been making for all these years that there's no hope for it, Darth Vader style, or you're simply attempting to poison the already borderline radioactive GW well with an outright lie to manipulate the general narrative even further against Wenger and Arsenal.

I hope for your sake it's the latter.

Fuck me.

GP
10-02-2016, 01:16 PM
/thread

Letters
10-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 01:20 PM
I'd appreciate it if Mr Wenger would kindly leave.

Globalgunner
10-02-2016, 01:22 PM
I'd appreciate it if Mr Wenger would kindly leave.

Sorry NQ
The pays too good, the jobs too easy, the fans too gullible.
I think I can squeeze another 5 years at least out of this lark

Özim
10-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Sorry NQ
The pays too good, the jobs too easy, the fans too gullible.
I think I can squeeze another 5 years at least out of this lark

Why give up the easiest, most secure and one of the best paid jobs in football.

selassie
10-02-2016, 02:12 PM

Yep, great post PnG :gp:

selassie
10-02-2016, 02:17 PM
That right there P n G

This post needs framing!

Love the Analogy.

Globalgunner
10-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Guardian writers picking likely EPL winners this season. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/who-will-win-the-premier-league-title
Not 1 of them chose Arsenal.:(

Not difficult to fathom why:. When the going gets tough, the Gunners go missing.

WMUG
10-02-2016, 03:37 PM

This post needs framing!

Love the Analogy.

Apart from the bit at the end where I think he's saying he's going to start his own football club :lol:

selassie
10-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Guardian writers picking likely EPL winners this season. http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/who-will-win-the-premier-league-title

Not difficult to fathom why:. When the going gets tough, the Gunners go missing.

It's a damning indictment of how many people view Arsenal. Even when I go on rival fans forums many fans believe we are more likely to collapse than Leicester or The Spuds!

Let's just hope the boys prove us wrong.

Letters
10-02-2016, 04:00 PM

The title isn't decided by public vote :lol:

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 04:02 PM

Bookies have us favourites though, at least they did the other day after the gypos lost. Journalists tend to be almost perfectly ignorant of everything ever, but bookies have cash riding on it. I'd listen to them first and sadly, it's the most encouraging sign I have seen related to our title "charge". What do they know that is invisible?

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 04:03 PM

It's not decided by Arsenal either, tbf. We have to hope all the other collapses are worse than our own, then maybe we'll collapse to glory.

selassie
10-02-2016, 04:05 PM

Of course not, a lot of the predictions are based on current/recent form, in Arsenal's case it's a mixture of current form and recent history. To be fair to Leicester they've been turning it on all season, they are very consistent and have yet to really wobble.

If Leicester do have a wobble then I can see one of the chasing pack taking the initiative, I've watched a fair bit of Leicester this season and whilst they are consistent they are by no means unbeatable.

Niall_Quinn
10-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Good quote from that Guardian article: "Because Arsenal could win it but Arsène Wenger is a slave to philosophy who, deep down, possibly suspects it is better to travel than actually arrive."

Gravy trains are better in transit too. The fun stops if they arrive.

Kano
10-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Of course not, a lot of the predictions are based on current/recent form, in Arsenal's case it's a mixture of current form and recent history. To be fair to Leicester they've been turning it on all season, they are very consistent and have yet to really wobble.

If Leicester do have a wobble then I can see one of the chasing pack taking the initiative, I've watched a fair bit of Leicester this season and whilst they are consistent they are by no means unbeatable.

I think you're being far too generous. It seems to be that a lot of people's opinion changes every other weekend when it comes to the favourites for the title. Personally I think Leicester or Spurs are favourites. They have been the most consistent and best teams in the league this season.

selassie
10-02-2016, 04:37 PM
I think you're being far too generous. It seems to be that a lot of people's opinion changes every other weekend when it comes to the favourites for the title. Personally I think Leicester or Spurs are favourites. They have been the most consistent and best teams in the league this season.

I can't make up my mind either Kano TBH, a few weeks back I thought City, now I'm favouring Leicester or the Spuds, that could change though, I've not completely given up hope on Arsenal but we're going to need to win on Sunday to have any kind of chance IMO.

Xhaka Can’t
10-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Did they not create a whole host of chances and miss them however? Whether we finished well or not it doesn't change the fact that they playe us off the park for a large part of the match, even when we beat them.

I was behind the Barca goal in the second half. A great place to be because we were fucking battering them.

selassie
11-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Apart from the bit at the end where I think he's saying he's going to start his own football club :lol:

:lol: must be to do with the weed ;)

LDG
11-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I was behind the Barca goal in the second half. A great place to be because we were fucking battering them.

We were brilliant that game. I was there too. They were shitting it big time.

adzzzbatch
11-02-2016, 05:24 PM
We were brilliant that game. I was there too. They were shitting it big time.

:gp: We were immense that night :scarf:

Marc Overmars
11-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Cisc taking a penalty with a broken leg was great.

Shame he's lost his testicles since though.