PDA

View Full Version : Are we giving the right players a chance?

Dicks and chicks
28-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Joel Campbell has played better the last 3 months and he's been dropped for Walcott,OX and Ramsey, is this really fair? Are players that are on massive contracts at the club simply being picked ahead on merrit rather than picking younger more hungrier players. I think this team has lost its soul, there are no longer players who want to fight for the shirt and when those players do come along like Campbell they are dropped for someone who is shitter and earning larger wages. We need to find players who really want to play for the club and give it there all, i don't actually think splashing the cash would necessarily solve that. I think that could create more problems.

Marc Overmars
28-02-2016, 07:19 PM
I do find a bit odd how WUMger has sent Campbell back into hibernation. Surely he should have come on today instead of Iwobi?

Niall_Quinn
28-02-2016, 07:21 PM
I do find a bit odd how WUMger has sent Campbell back into hibernation. Surely he should have come on today instead of Iwobi?

Campbell had at least 3 shots on goal, in direct contravention of the club policy. If he can't do the time then don't commit the crime.

Dicks and chicks
28-02-2016, 07:22 PM
he's done better this season that Ramsey, Walcott and the Ox combined, and thats not saying much. I actually want Iwobi to start, i want some of youngsters to be integrated in the squad more, because at least they will come and show desire . Its harsh on Campbell staying on the bench then given a chance , then playing better than the players in the starting 11 then being sent back to the bench.

Power n Glory
28-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Campbell is the best of the bunch because he can score and assist. But he's had hot and cold games. Ox had that one moment where he scored but turned shit when trusted with another start. Theo came off the bench to get the equalizer against Leicester and he's been shit since.

I don't think anyone has done enough on the wing claim the spot. It's been a piss poor season.

gunnerrrrr
28-02-2016, 08:51 PM
I literally just posted a comment on this in the match thread.

Its crazy how Campbell has suddenly been dropped, and again testament to the complete twat that Wenger has become.

Niall_Quinn
28-02-2016, 08:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqOisHgiui4

Dicks and chicks
28-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Campbell is the best of the bunch because he can score and assist. But he's had hot and cold games. Ox had that one moment where he scored but turned shit when trusted with another start. Theo came off the bench to get the equalizer against Leicester and he's been shit since.

I don't think anyone has done enough on the wing claim the spot. It's been a piss poor season.

Campbell has done more than Walcott and Ox, its just unfair on him. We treated Carlos Vela in a similar way, kept on playing Bendtner

Dicks and chicks
28-02-2016, 10:40 PM

also Ramsey , Ox and Walcott have had Cold and Cold games. yet they start

Power n Glory
28-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Campbell has done more than Walcott and Ox, its just unfair on him. We treated Carlos Vela in a similar way, kept on playing Bendtner

I agree with you. It hasn't been fair on Campbell. Was dropped too quickly. He is better than both Theo and Ox on the wing.

Niall_Quinn
28-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Wenger was on the club web site singing Campbell's praises, telling everyone how much his game has improved - as if he'd know. He does this. Bigs up a player in public and then sits him down if he's not one of the favoured few. Some players he believes should be played back into form, no matter how long they remain out of form, others he'll drop after one error. Depends if you are on his favourites list which I suspect has something to do with how much fuss he believes a player will kick up. Wenger is big into happy families and that spirit shit he keeps going on about. Maybe Campbell causes less of a stink than Theo when he's benched. Plus it must be getting a bit embarrassing now having £110k players stuck on the bench because they can't kick a ball. It would make the manager appear incompetent if the cheap kid who was loaned out everywhere ended up twice as good as one of Wenger's special projects to which he's poured all his special methods. Coquelin? It's a farce really. This season has exposed the guy like no other.

Gooner23
29-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Wenger was on the club web site singing Campbell's praises, telling everyone how much his game has improved - as if he'd know. He does this. Bigs up a player in public and then sits him down if he's not one of the favoured few. Some players he believes should be played back into form, no matter how long they remain out of form, others he'll drop after one error. Depends if you are on his favourites list which I suspect has something to do with how much fuss he believes a player will kick up. Wenger is big into happy families and that spirit shit he keeps going on about. Maybe Campbell causes less of a stink than Theo when he's benched. Plus it must be getting a bit embarrassing now having £110k players stuck on the bench because they can't kick a ball. It would make the manager appear incompetent if the cheap kid who was loaned out everywhere ended up twice as good as one of Wenger's special projects to which he's poured all his special methods. Coquelin? It's a farce really. This season has exposed the guy like no other.

He won't admit it in public but I think deep down he knows that last sentence to be the case. The excuses now are becoming more and more bizarre. He's simply run out of the best ones.

Such a shame that it looks like he'll go kicking and screaming. Not that I have any faith in the board to do the right thing this summer. They're all in it together the thieving tossers.

selassie
29-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Beginning to think we aren't but a lot of it is down to Wenger. Would we seriously be pushing for the title with a more pragmatic manager? Maybe? I don't know. One thing I will say is that Wenger seems to place player development ahead of winning trophies. Wenger attempts to play players into form and at the moment we have two players partnering each other in Midfield who don't have the required qualities that the team needs. I could go on and don't really want to turn this post into a "Wenger Out" type debate.

Wenger is "deep in it" IMO, he has a squad of players where more than half of them from Midfield through to Attack don't have defined roles in the team.

IBK
02-03-2016, 12:05 PM
I guess its an obvious question given the Manure team on the weekend. I think there's something in it, and I think that its down to a mixture of lack of pragmatism and as NQ says the manager's pride. Wenger has a habit of persisting with players who are woefully out of form. there is a balance to be had - and it can be destructive to yank a good player out after one or two duff performances - but Wenger takes it to an extreme. Walcott is the ultimate Wenger poster boy for this. 10 years and no progress at all. But generally, its seems that the manager has undroppable favourites, and that many of our lesser squad players only get their opportunity through injury - and even them are not treated in the same way, despite doing little wrong. Campbell is a prime example - but so too Elneny. From what I've seen he's certainly an upgrade on Flamini, and he was apparently bought to come into the team after the injuries to Coq/Caz - but hasn.t been played despite our CM stinking the place up. Another player who did well when playing as a DM is Chambers. Yes, he's raw - but while I would not advocate simply throwing young players in at the deep end, there has to come a time when you back your signings/development players when its obvious the alternative ain't working.

mastermind84
02-03-2016, 12:40 PM
The theory is that Alexis and Joel are similar players and thus can't be on the pitch at the same time.

I think Wenger sees it as Joel or Alexis and not Joel versus the others.

He should drop Alexis, tbh

Dicks and chicks
03-03-2016, 01:37 PM
The theory is that Alexis and Joel are similar players and thus can't be on the pitch at the same time.

I think Wenger sees it as Joel or Alexis and not Joel versus the others.

He should drop Alexis, tbh

interesting quote from the arsenal mania forum:

I honestly wonder how he would be seen if instead of being from a little country like Costa Rica he was instead Brazilian. Or even better, if he was an Englishman. Oh the hype he would get. Then, maybe in Wenger's eyes he would deserve to get the contract extension and fat pay rise the likes of Walcott and Ox always automatically get.

On one hand you have a player who always works his socks off, who despite still being in his 1st real season with the team has already shown a lot of good signs and who is probably already the best RW we have had in ages. Yet, no matter what he does it seems it is never good enough for some fans and for Wenger.

On the other hand you have players who are just here, for half the season every seasons in the infirmary. They don't work hard for the team, they make no improvements and still plays exactly the way they played when they first joined. But they are just here, taking everything for granted, like if it was immutable. Everything is given to them so why should they care ? When they are really too bad they will eventually sit on the bench for one game but will always be back in the first XI the next one.

Wenger really has his favorites, and if you are not one of them there is nothing you can do. So unfair.

if joel campbell's name was Marcus Rashford or El Campbell from Argentina or Brazil, would he still be treated this unfairly?? I think the fact that he's costa rican plays against him tbh.

GP
03-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Wenger doesn't give a shit about nationality.

Power n Glory
03-03-2016, 02:00 PM
It's how much we've invested in the player he gives a shit about. Joel was cheap so he's expendable.

Kano
03-03-2016, 02:17 PM
interesting quote from the arsenal mania forum:

if joel campbell's name was Marcus Rashford or El Campbell from Argentina or Brazil, would he still be treated this unfairly?? I think the fact that he's costa rican plays against him tbh.

innit bare racism fam

Özim
03-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Wenger has always had his favourites, right from the day he arrived, it's nothing new now, at least in the early days most of the time his favourites were also our best players, nowadays though it's different.

There's too many wasters in this squad, wasters Wenger waste too much time and money on, most other managers would have got rid years ago but he persists with them for ridiculous amounts of time, in many cases it means we're playing almost every season with a number of these out for 3/4 of it, I seriously think the many has no common sense at all.

Campbell has earnt a chance with some cracking displays and yet he's still only used occasionally whereas players who have been here years and haven't proved a thing still get chance after chance.