PDA

View Full Version : What The Hell Is Going On?!

Letters
03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
There's a lot of nonsense on here about what is going wrong.
I thought I'd deal with some of the main theories and give my thoughts on them. Other thoughts and theories welcome.

1) Wenger doesn't care about winning.
This is obviously balls. Obviously he cares. He's won enough trophies in his time, why wouldn't he want to win more? You can see the way he acts so stroppy when things aren't going well that it hurts him. I saw an interview with Dein where he said that they still have dinner after home games unless we lose in which case they don't because Wenger is no company when we've lost. Whether he's able to do anything about it is a different matter, but it's not indifference.

2) The players don't care about winning.
Again, I'm struggling to believe this. Why wouldn't they? They must be very competitive people, they've got to the top of their profession. Just last season they won the Cup, that must feel good. Why wouldn't they want more of that? It's there for the taking this season, why stroll around cruising into 4th place when you could be champions? Yes, you don't get paid any more (well, maybe a bit more) but why wouldn't you want that?

3) The board don't care about winning.
Well, this is true but I don't see how that affects our results.

4) Wenger is a poor tactician/he doesn't prepare them for games.
There is more plausibility to this one but what special tactics and preparation do you need to beat Swansea?! And these faults - and I do agree they are faults of his - have always been there, they didn't stop us winning the Cup the last 2 years and last year we were "calendar year champions". A meaningless thing BUT it does demonstrate a long, consistent run of form which were it sustained over a season would see us be champions. It isn't "a few good games" as some have said.

5) Injuries always kill us.
Well, they do, and that is something which needs sorting out. But most of our players are back from injury now and our run of poor form continues despite that. Carzola is out but I don't buy he's our only key player, Ozil and Sanchez are world class, we are surely good enough to beat a team like Swansea without Carzola.

6) We don't have enough up front.
Well this one is clearly true but we should have plenty of goals elsewhere in this team. It's a factor but not the only one.

7) We always bottle it.
I don't really buy this. It may be a factor but it's not as big a problem, IMO, as some make out. Last year we won the Cup, winning at Old Trafford on the way - and that wasn't a fluke, we were good that night, we stood up. We were fantastic in the Cup Final, yes we should be beating Villa but it wasn't a nervous win, we hammered them from the start. This season we've beaten Utd and City at home, both good performances and wins in games where had we lost they'd have leapfrogged us. There was nothing particularly high pressure about last night that hasn't been so on other occasions this season when we have won and won well.

8) We lack a strong captain.
IMO this is possibly the biggest factor. We haven't had a strong captain since Vieira. Who is out there when things start going against us getting us going again? Adams or Vieira wouldn't have ALLOWED a performance like last night, certainly not as often as we're seeing it right now. It was a clear foul for their equalizer but these things will happen. REACT! FFS, REACT! You have 60 minutes to sort it out and instead of reacting and blowing them away in the 2nd half we just limp along, concede again and lose. Pathetic.

There just seems to be a general, collective malaise and loss of form right now. Ultimately the buck stops at Wenger (although I don't absolve the players from blame, we had enough out there to beat Swansea last night), but I don't buy that we 'bottled' it or either Wenger or the players or both aren't bothered.

The Emirates Gallactico
03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Mainly 4 and 7 but also some of 8, 5 and 6.

Ultimately it's all down to one man, Wenger. He's clearly isn't capable of winning a title anymore.

Letters
03-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Ultimately it's all down to one man, Wenger. He's clearly isn't capable of winning a title anymore.
Agree, but what is going on now which wasn't going on for most of 2015 when we were generally in form which could win us a title?
As I said I don't buy it's just 'bottling' it, we've handled plenty of high pressure games in the last couple of years.
IMO '8' is the biggest issue, or rather fixing it would provide the most benefit.

GP
03-03-2016, 11:07 AM
We're shit and it's not going to get better without a drastic change.

Letters
03-03-2016, 11:13 AM
We're shit and it's not going to get better without a drastic change.

Right now, we look that way. But this is the same side who throughout 2015 looked like a side who could win the title, and did win the FA Cup.
Why are we suddenly looking so poor? Some of the above are factors, there may be others.

Niall_Quinn
03-03-2016, 11:33 AM
You said it yourself - a team like Swansea, just Swansea, etc. The manager and the players have a massive attitude problem. They don't have enough respect to prepare and be fully engaged for what they consider inferior opposition. It's an arrogance that started with a bunch of winners but was then transferred through to a cheapskate, weakling version of the squad in Wenger's later and disastrous years.

And it really, really does matter that the owners and board don't give a fuck. That sets the tone for the whole club. It determines what sort of pressure will or won't be placed on the manager and what sort of pressure he will then exert on the team. No pressure? No problem, but no titles either. Swansea may be a smaller club but football is about narrow margins. Let your game slip by a fraction and you'll get turned over. Skimp in the key areas, the spine of the team, and you'll pay for it when those narrow margins are being called.

Arsenal, the organisation, is about bare minimum, mediocre, it'll do, why do more, that's enough, we can get by on that. Maximum profit, minimum expense wile maintaining acceptable service. A perfect model provided you have a monopoly. Which they do.

This mentality infects everything. Any team can screw up, lose a title when they should have won it, get knocked out of a cup by a minnow, have an off-day and get hammered. But the repetition over such a long period at this club shows us something else. An attitude that stinks to high heaven.

That's the problem. We aren't winners and we'll never be winners until we refocus our priorities and use every last resource we have and apply 100% effort to claim more of those narrow margins than we lose.

LDG
03-03-2016, 11:34 AM
I thought I'd deal with some of the main theories and give my thoughts on them. Other thoughts and theories welcome.

This is obviously balls. Obviously he cares. He's won enough trophies in his time, why wouldn't he want to win more? You can see the way he acts so stroppy when things aren't going well that it hurts him. I saw an interview with Dein where he said that they still have dinner after home games unless we lose in which case they don't because Wenger is no company when we've lost. Whether he's able to do anything about it is a different matter, but it's not indifference.

Again, I'm struggling to believe this. Why wouldn't they? They must be very competitive people, they've got to the top of their profession. Just last season they won the Cup, that must feel good. Why wouldn't they want more of that? It's there for the taking this season, why stroll around cruising into 4th place when you could be champions? Yes, you don't get paid any more (well, maybe a bit more) but why wouldn't you want that?

There is more plausibility to this one but what special tactics and preparation do you need to beat Swansea?! And these faults - and I do agree they are faults of his - have always been there, they didn't stop us winning the Cup the last 2 years and last year we were "calendar year champions". A meaningless thing BUT it does demonstrate a long, consistent run of form which were it sustained over a season would see us be champions. It isn't "a few good games" as some have said.

Well, they do, and that is something which needs sorting out. But most of our players are back from injury now and our run of poor form continues despite that. Carzola is out but I don't buy he's our only key player, Ozil and Sanchez are world class, we are surely good enough to beat a team like Swansea without Carzola.

Well this one is clearly true but we should have plenty of goals elsewhere in this team. It's a factor but not the only one.

7) We always bottle it.
I don't really buy this. It may be a factor but it's not as big a problem, IMO, as some make out. Last year we won the Cup, winning at Old Trafford on the way - and that wasn't a fluke, we were good that night, we stood up. We were fantastic in the Cup Final, yes we should be beating Villa but it wasn't a nervous win, we hammered them from the start. This season we've beaten Utd and City at home, both good performances and wins in games where had we lost they'd have leapfrogged us. There was nothing particularly high pressure about last night that hasn't been so on other occasions this season when we have won and won well.

IMO this is possibly the biggest factor. We haven't had a strong captain since Vieira. Who is out there when things start going against us getting us going again? Adams or Vieira wouldn't have ALLOWED a performance like last night, certainly not as often as we're seeing it right now. It was a clear foul for their equalizer but these things will happen. REACT! FFS, REACT! You have 60 minutes to sort it out and instead of reacting and blowing them away in the 2nd half we just limp along, concede again and lose. Pathetic.

There just seems to be a general, collective malaise and loss of form right now. Ultimately the buck stops at Wenger (although I don't absolve the players from blame, we had enough out there to beat Swansea last night), but I don't buy that we 'bottled' it or either Wenger or the players or both aren't bothered.

In response:

1) Of course he cares about winning. He's just to stubborn to accept what he's doing is wrong, to proud to listen to anybody with half a footballing brain, too willing to help the owners with their own agenda (his good intentions of doing it the "right" way fit snuggly with people who want to make money)

2) I think they care, (some of them at least). But having a cushy paycheck does soften the blow...especially when they're not all as emotionally invested in the club as us fans.

3) Stupid point. We know the score here.

4) Bang on he's a bad tactician. He always has, and always will rely on his group of players to find the solutions for him, based on a passing game, where if someone is in a better position than you, you pass to them. That's it! Wenger's philosophy....he can't change a game (unless by luck)....his substitutions are awful, his motivation is clearly lacking. Our run of form last year was based mostly on him stumbling on the Coquelin thing....this was not his idea...it was the only option left to him. Coq was about to be sold, one would assume.

5) Injuries have been our scourge for years now. We've had all kinds of medical experts in looking at it. It's not bad luck. It's the game we play, and the way we train. Absolutely certain of it.

6) We should have goals in the team....but you need balance in a team in order to create them....and we're only creating for players out of form. It's all about tactics. If we can't pass it into the net, just fucking rain shots on goal from everywhere, whenever we're in position to do so...outside the box etc. Yeah, you'll blast a load over, but fuck it, some will start going in....which is when defences start moving to block you, creating space. If you do the predictable, it's fucking easy for the other team.

How can you utilise players best abilities if you set up to play a game that doesn't suit them?? We played a slow passing game against Utd with players that are based on speed and balls over the top.

Tactics, tactics, tactics.

7) not always about bottle....it has been in the past. I think this is down to really poor preparation for games, really poor tactics. A Manager who can't change things when we need to. A manager who (judging by his passive touchline personality) doesn't demand the players up the pace etc. Just a few simple guidelines from the bench...a bit of help, would go a long way, rather than letting the players try and work it out for themselves.

8) see 7) Do any other teams have that? We've got plenty of motivators. Cech, Merts, Flamini (even if he's shite). This is all about being a team. And we're not a team at the moment, through poor management. They don't know what to do. They're looking for guidance....and it's quite clear Wenger doesn't know what to do either....this strong captain thing is bullshit. They help, but it's not a big factor.

This all started in the league cup game vs Sheff Weds. Wenger didn't know what team to pick, whether to dump it, or try and stay in the cup. Consequently, he fucked it right up, lost the team it's momentum. We got two major injuries, and got dumped out of the cup.

The football thing. All Wenger. You get bad player performances, and some are clearly not up to it.

All Wenger.

GP
03-03-2016, 11:38 AM
It is all Wenger.

I fully believe that money was witheld from him, still is to a certain extent. But that excuse doesn't fly any more. Look at the squad we have.

It's all about maximising what we have and he doesn't have a clue how to do it.

Marc Overmars
03-03-2016, 11:40 AM
No tactics and no bottle.

I don't know how Wenger has managed to coach this group of players into such a collective mess. It's scary how much imagination we lack, the players have been conditioned to always look for that final ball. As a result we have forwards who pass when presented with opportunities to shoot and midfielders (Ozil excluded) that couldn't spot a pass if it whacked them in the face. No audacity, nothing off the cuff just the same old predictable, robotic nonsense.

Our best runs of form always come when we're nowhere near the title race and our worst runs come when we're in involved in it. That's not a coincidence, it's happened far too many times now. It's all well and good winning some high pressure games throughout the season but what good does that do when you end up losing the next week anyway? Anyone can win on their day but not everyone can see it through, that's where we lack bottle. Though I should say I think poor coaching is the main reason we've cocked it up this year, rather than the lack of bottle.

Letters
03-03-2016, 12:04 PM
It is all Wenger.

I fully believe that money was witheld from him, still is to a certain extent. But that excuse doesn't fly any more. Look at the squad we have.

It's all about maximising what we have and he doesn't have a clue how to do it.

The thing is...what has suddenly changed? I had a look and in the calendar year 2015 we got 81 points over 38 games. Not good enough to win us the title in any of the last few years but probably good enough this year. Why is a squad of players who for much of last year looked like a side that could challenge suddenly looking so mid-table? Sanchez and Ozil are suddenly not firing, Giroud can't score for love nor money and no-one else is chipping in (and with the players we have, they should be).
All teams go through good and bad patches, that is the nature of football. It seems to me that when it happens to us we have no ability to claw our way out of it, or not quickly enough. Wenger can't lift us and we don't have a strong captain to either. It does all come back to Wenger but it's bloody frustrating when we have these long, good runs where we look like the real deal.

Niall_Quinn
03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
The thing is...what has suddenly changed? I had a look and in the calendar year 2015 we got 81 points over 38 games. Not good enough to win us the title in any of the last few years but probably good enough this year. Why is a squad of players who for much of last year looked like a side that could challenge suddenly looking so mid-table? Sanchez and Ozil are suddenly not firing, Giroud can't score for love nor money and no-one else is chipping in (and with the players we have, they should be).
All teams go through good and bad patches, that is the nature of football. It seems to me that when it happens to us we have no ability to claw our way out of it, or not quickly enough. Wenger can't lift us and we don't have a strong captain to either. It does all come back to Wenger but it's bloody frustrating when we have these long, good runs where we look like the real deal.

Because Leicester have nothing to lose, the spuds were never expected to be up there at this stage and the chavs, gypos and utd have flushed themselves down the bog. Which leaves...

The pressure is all on us, at the business end of the season. Nothing has changed. At the critical moment we are collapsing, it's what we do. When we can't realistically catch a bunch of chavs then there are no expectations. When we are already 2 down to a Bayern or a Barca then we grab the opportunity of another glorious failure.

And the crappy manager. He hates momentum. Even on those long winning streaks he'll take big risks, chucking a minor cup without even trying, pissing away the top spot in out CL group because we've already qualified. We don't press the advantage, we slack off as soon as we have gained it. In matches and over seasons. It's called the winner's instinct. We don't have it because it's not something that is considered important at this club.

Letters
03-03-2016, 12:26 PM
He hates momentum.
You were doing so well, then you slipped back into WUMming. Obviously he doesn't 'hate' momentum. Why would he? Stop being silly.

My point above was we have shown ourselves perfectly capable of handling pressure situations over the past couple of season. What we don't seem to be able to do, or not quickly enough, is drag ourselves out of a slump in form. Wenger can't do it and we don't have a captain who can do it either. IMO that is the biggest problem.

issing away the top spot in out CL group because we've already qualified. We don't press the advantage, we slack off as soon as we have gained it. In matches and over seasons. It's called the winner's instinct. We don't have it because it's not something that is considered important at this club.

I agree with that more, Wenger has a habit of resting on his laurels.

Bumble
03-03-2016, 12:26 PM
We don't need new players, as we have a squad that is better and a lot more expensive than either Leicester or Spurs. In terms of injuries yes we have had a lot of them but we were never throwing in 3 18yo or anything into a game and defensively we have had pretty consistent selection. We were still playing experienced squad players. and generally still had the core.

imagine how much worse it would be if we didn't have Cech in goal!!!

I think the teams lacks an affective playing style. The formation isn't working and we cant change it. As has been mentioned we lack leaders on the pitch, we lack true dynamic players. We don't have anyone who can really take the game by the scruff of the neck and drag us over the line. Sanchez has been poor but he has played so much football that is probably tired and also it probably shows a bit why Barca got rid of him as he doesn't retain the ball as much as they need. Ozil has created so many goals this season but only a few assists since the start of the year. Giroud only scores goals in batches and then its generally after he has spent a few games out of the side. Walcott is awful now.

Wenger has never directed the players. he likes to give them responsibility themselves plus in the past the successful sides have always had big game players, strong characters and guys who could do something out of the nothing. Direct, powerful and pacy. That is what we need to go back to.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Our good form from January to May 2015 well there was never a title challenge in the offing

In August 2015 we start the season with a 2-0 loss to West Ham and never actually look like a title challenging team apart from the five game winning run between September and November. And even in this period, there are shocking performances in the Champions league caused by not taking the opposistion seriously.

Since November we have not won more than three league games in a row, and repleat with opportunities where the team either doesn't turn up or becomes nervous in front of goal.

Letters mentions that he doesn't think not having bottle is a factor, I'd remind him of how fragile we were in the FA cup semi finals and final of 2014....in the final just look at Ozil warming up at Wembley he is shaking like a shitting dog. There is a clear instance of bottle and mentality, even in the game against United at Old Trafford Letters cites there is a clear nervousness factor in that we had chances to kill off the tie and snatched at the chances.

This is a side that In equal measure is both complacent and highly strung, it lacks confidence because it lacks a leader on the pitch and more importantly it lacks a leader off it, someone who can shout and lead by example when the chips are down.
This has always been the case with Wengers sides to a degree being confidence sides, if you go back to 2004 look at the knock on effect that defeat at Old Trafford had, we won three out of the next nine games.
Similar after the 4-0 FA cup defeat to United in February 2008, we won two games from the next 11...which was compounded by the horror tackle on Eduardo in the Birmingham game.

The fact is when these players need confidence and leadership it is wanting, both within and without.

Kano
03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
7) We always bottle it.

As you have said yourself, there are different levels of pressure. Last night was hugely pressurised. A response was required after Sunday’s lacklustre performance. A performance was expected to take the three points to take advantage of Leicester’s draw the night before. Last night was not a normal game and certainly more pressurised than playing City or Utd early in the season when there was ample games left to make up ground. We haven’t scored more than 3 goals in a single game this season. That never happens in a Wenger team. Too many of our players are woefully off form.

It is the manager’s job to keep the group mentally focused and filter out the nerves and problems that stop a team relaxing to focus on their ability. But what happens every year in a sustained competition like the Prem is the team is unable to do it. There was a graph on Sky that illustrated the month when Arsenal typically dip away from the title race and that month is March. Talking about wins away at Old Trafford in the FA Cup or league games against rivals midway through the season are only part of the test. The real intensity arrives now. When as a big club – ironically we are now the financial giant compared to Leicester and Spurs – we do not allow the nerves to eat away at our performance levels. But the exact opposite is happening again.

He is very much a confidence led manager. When things are going well he is able to maintain the level of performance, hence why we have historically gone on these long runs of form. When shit hits the fan however, he struggles to pick up the pieces quickly enough before real damage is done.

Niall_Quinn
03-03-2016, 12:48 PM
You were doing so well, then you slipped back into WUMming. Obviously he doesn't 'hate' momentum. Why would he? Stop being silly.

My point above was we have shown ourselves perfectly capable of handling pressure situations over the past couple of season. What we don't seem to be able to do, or not quickly enough, is drag ourselves out of a slump in form. Wenger can't do it and we don't have a captain who can do it either. IMO that is the biggest problem.

I agree with that more, Wenger has a habit of resting on his laurels.

Not WUMming at all. People will know what I mean by that. When he sees momentum he wrecks it. He views it as an opportunity to coast or experiment with one of his crazy pet projects. Take Campbell. How many more times can that kid keep bouncing back after Wenger's dicking around before he's ruined too? When something starts working then stick with it, see how far it can take you. Any fool knows that, but Wenger is not your ordinary fool.

selassie
03-03-2016, 02:22 PM

7) We always bottle it.

1) Wenger only cares about winning ONE way, his way. He's so entrenched in his philosophy that he will argue till he is blew in the face that his way is the right way.

2) They do care, they lack direction, belief and crack under pressure. It's a problem, but it's also a trait of Wenger's teams.

3) Winning is a bonus for them IMO, they place financial achievements above sporting achievements, they both go hand in hand, but the financial incentives are what drives the board.

4) IMO Wenger is a poor tactician, it's either that or the players don't follow his instruction if he gives any at all. He's been found wanting tactically for years now.

5) They are a factor to why we struggle every season, it's a major issue in itself.

6) Yep

7) The mentality of "Wenger" teams isn't right when facing adversity, we have seen many "Wenger" teams literally collapse under the weight of expectation.

8) Yes

Ernesto
03-03-2016, 06:50 PM
I might be being outlandish but is there any chance of a Chelsea style player mutiny against the manager going on here?

They can't be that tired and they can't be that unprofessional. Who's putting the effort in? Who has put the effort in 5 games in a row?

I'm probably clutching at straws. I just can't put my finger on why these players are playing so badly.

Niall_Quinn
03-03-2016, 06:59 PM
I might be being outlandish but is there any chance of a Chelsea style player mutiny against the manager going on here?

They can't be that tired and they can't be that unprofessional. Who's putting the effort in? Who has put the effort in 5 games in a row?

I'm probably clutching at straws. I just can't put my finger on why these players are playing so badly.

If you place your finger in the centre of the image below - job done.

http://www.sickchirpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Arsene-Wenger-Jacket.png

Kano
03-03-2016, 07:14 PM

The effort isn't in question. If you compared their run stats against any other season they'd probably be similar. The issue is being prepared well enough to go out onto the pitch to overcome their anxiety, so they can focus on their ability to play well.

Ernesto
03-03-2016, 07:37 PM
If you place your finger in the centre of the image below - job done.

http://www.sickchirpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Arsene-Wenger-Jacket.png

I get where you're coming from Quinny but the players can't not want to play, can they? They have the intelligence to play the game, depending on the circumstances.

As someone has said, 11 against 11, player for player, our team sheet was better than those of Manchester United and Swansea yet we've picked up 0 points from these games.

I'm not absolving Wenger, not for a moment. I want to see a change because I want to see us beat Chelsea. I want to see us go far in Europe. I want us to beat a team 7-0, like I know they can, rather than sitting back (see Bournemouth, a few weeks back). None of this will happen under Wenger.

The attackers should know how to score, defenders should know how to stop goals going in. It's an inherent intelligence.

Niall_Quinn
03-03-2016, 08:23 PM
I get where you're coming from Quinny but the players can't not want to play, can they? They have the intelligence to play the game, depending on the circumstances.

As someone has said, 11 against 11, player for player, our team sheet was better than those of Manchester United and Swansea yet we've picked up 0 points from these games.

I'm not absolving Wenger, not for a moment. I want to see a change because I want to see us beat Chelsea. I want to see us go far in Europe. I want us to beat a team 7-0, like I know they can, rather than sitting back (see Bournemouth, a few weeks back). None of this will happen under Wenger.

The attackers should know how to score, defenders should know how to stop goals going in. It's an inherent intelligence.

But even taking one instance, in a catalogue of screw-ups - we say the players are nervous, feeling the pressure, all true to some degree. Let's not even consider what should have happened BEFORE the game in terms of tactical and mental preparation, and not just before that game but before every game so it becomes a habit, a philosophy. What about DURING the game? We have one player that appears not be nervous, that appears not to be cracking under the pressure. He's having a good game, making things happen, he's scored a great goal, he's a thorn in the opposition defence. What happens? The manager removes him from the final segment of the game, the crucial phase where we had to get the goals. That's just vandalism really and it shows either a deep lack of understanding about what was going on on that pitch or, which is more likely and even more damaging, desperately disordered priorities that simply don't appreciate the time, the place, the circumstances.

I know it's hard to comprehend, but the evidence is there. This manager is completely out of his depth at this level and probably has been for a long time. So this is the guy you have directing the team, getting them focused, preparing them mentally, issuing the priorities. Is it any wonder we are a total shambles on the pitch? And you can ask well why was it not like this in prior seasons or earlier is this season? Pressure. Real pressure. The pressure that comes when the opportunity to correct mistakes and make up lost ground gets smaller and smaller. This is the sort of pressure Wenger has been cracking under year after year after year. His increasingly negative, unambitious and (I have said) cowardly tendencies become heightened until they strangle the team (like the last minutes against Liverpool where Wenger virtually gifted 2 points to the opposition and started this rot). His blind faith in certain players despite their form, his obsession with football expressed as numbers rather than a passion, guts, endeavour, a sport played by real human beings.

Take that pressure away and he's at his level, he can cope. Just about, but at least it's not catastrophe. Apply that pressure and he sinks without trace, along with every team he's put out there over the past 10-12 years. He's a mid table, no pressure, no expectations manager who, because of the resources at Arsenal, has bottled his averageness, his mediocrity, his par mentality and turned it into a Top 4 Trophy, CL Last 16 paint by numbers routine. And he's terrified to modify anything at all because if he goes over the lines or uses the wrong colour he'll find himself on alien ground. That's how he can sit through a whole match as we get hammered by a bunch of chavs, 6-0 on his thousandth game, and do fuck all. 1,000 games, up against the mortal foe, everyone looking for him to win, to make a statement, to break the hoodoo. 6-0. There's that pressure again.

Ernesto
03-03-2016, 08:43 PM
But even taking one instance, in a catalogue of screw-ups - we say the players are nervous, feeling the pressure, all true to some degree. Let's not even consider what should have happened BEFORE the game in terms of tactical and mental preparation, and not just before that game but before every game so it becomes a habit, a philosophy. What about DURING the game? We have one player that appears not be nervous, that appears not to be cracking under the pressure. He's having a good game, making things happen, he's scored a great goal, he's a thorn in the opposition defence. What happens? The manager removes him from the final segment of the game, the crucial phase where we had to get the goals. That's just vandalism really and it shows either a deep lack of understanding about what was going on on that pitch or, which is more likely and even more damaging, desperately disordered priorities that simply don't appreciate the time, the place, the circumstances.

I know it's hard to comprehend, but the evidence is there. This manager is completely out of his depth at this level and probably has been for a long time. So this is the guy you have directing the team, getting them focused, preparing them mentally, issuing the priorities. Is it any wonder we are a total shambles on the pitch? And you can ask well why was it not like this in prior seasons or earlier is this season? Pressure. Real pressure. The pressure that comes when the opportunity to correct mistakes and make up lost ground gets smaller and smaller. This is the sort of pressure Wenger has been cracking under year after year after year. His increasingly negative, unambitious and (I have said) cowardly tendencies become heightened until they strangle the team (like the last minutes against Liverpool where Wenger virtually gifted 2 points to the opposition and started this rot). His blind faith in certain players despite their form, his obsession with football expressed as numbers rather than a passion, guts, endeavour, a sport played by real human beings.

Take that pressure away and he's at his level, he can cope. Just about, but at least it's not catastrophe. Apply that pressure and he sinks without trace, along with every team he's put out there over the past 10-12 years. He's a mid table, no pressure, no expectations manager who, because of the resources at Arsenal, has bottled his averageness, his mediocrity, his par mentality and turned it into a Top 4 Trophy, CL Last 16 paint by numbers routine. And he's terrified to modify anything at all because if he goes over the lines or uses the wrong colour he'll find himself on alien ground. That's how he can sit through a whole match as we get hammered by a bunch of chavs, 6-0 on his thousandth game, and do fuck all. 1,000 games, up against the mortal foe, everyone looking for him to win, to make a statement, to break the hoodoo. 6-0. There's that pressure again.

:gp:

I actually can't disagree with any of that.

Letters
04-03-2016, 07:47 AM
I do agree with a lot of that but was there not pressure in the last couple of cup runs?
Yes, we looked nervy in some of those games but we finished the job. When we were 2-0 down in the first of the Cup Finals we didn't crumble, we fought back.
At Old Trafford I thought we were outstanding and in the 2nd Cup Final we spanked them from the start.
IMO the biggest problem is the lack of a captain. Wenger has never been a great motivator, he's always relied on the players to go out and do their thing. And to an extent why shouldn't they be able to? But when things aren't going away we do lack leadership out there on the pitch, someone to pick them up.
Adams or Vieira wouldn't have LET us perform like we did against Utd or Swansea.

Kano
04-03-2016, 08:03 AM
Adams was captain for a bloody long time but he also oversaw quite a few seasons of underachievement. So one man alone isn't enough. A strong captain would be nice but look at any successful Arsenal team or sports team for that matter (even Djokovic, one of the most prepared tennis players in an individual sport hired Becker to help him for crucial mental situations in the slams) and you'll see a group of psychologically strong people. George Graham's teams had them, Wenger's early teams had them but we haven't now for a decade. Winning one off games in a cup competition is a small step toward building a three dimensionally strong psyche that can sustain a 9 month competition and not crumble when the heat is really on, as happened in the last two games.

Letters
04-03-2016, 09:40 AM
But the heat was on when we played City, they were thought by everyone to be the favourites, by beating us they could have leapfrogged us.
I agree that there is a different kind of pressure in a title race. IMO the big problem is an inability to dig themselves out of a bad run of form, we take forever to recover and by the time we do it's too late.

Kano
04-03-2016, 09:46 AM
But the heat was on when we played City, they were thought by everyone to be the favourites, by beating us they could have leapfrogged us.
I agree that there is a different kind of pressure in a title race. IMO the big problem is an inability to dig themselves out of a bad run of form, we take forever to recover and by the time we do it's too late.
Sure, the pressure was there to a degree against City but with so many games left and no expection in terms of being the outright leader because of the time left in the season, it wasn't absolutely crucial to win. There were plenty more clashes against 'rivals' to prove our mettle in that regard. It was really just another of the small steps. The last dozen games are when the pressure really cranks up and the last two games have illustrated that when the intensity increases even further, the squad isn't prepared enough to cope. It has happened too many times over the past 5/6 years for it not to be an insurmountable problem for Wenger. He is good at working with players high on confidence - hence the long stretches of form at times - but he cannot find it within himself to dig them out of a hole when shit hits the fan.

Letters
04-03-2016, 09:53 AM
but he cannot find it within himself to dig them out of a hole when shit hits the fan.
Agree, but I guess my point is...twas ever thus. Wenger has always had these flaws but when you've got players like Henry and Bergkamp and the rest and a captain like Adams and Vieira and it's not a problem.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-03-2016, 10:07 AM
The problem started with replacing more physical players who had strength, pace and technique with smaller more technically centric players, that and the you tube generation meaning that future stars that he could once pick up for 500,000 were costing ten million +.

Sanchez is arguably the only player we have of both the technical ability and physique of the invincibles players

You see any ex pro talking about them, they said they were physically intimidating (most over 6ft tall and bulky).

And even then there could be a mental frailty, like the loss to Everton in 2002 was followed by three successive defeats

The collapse from 2-0 up against Bolton and then losing 3-2 to Leeds at home

The collapse against man united and Chelsea when we were chasing the treble in the unbeaten season

The collapse in form after Game 49 ending the unbeaten run in 2004

This suggests a manager who lacks the ability to pick players up and motivate them to deal with disappointment.

mastermind84
04-03-2016, 11:33 AM
This is what is wrong. Not "Pashun" or "determination" or "leadership."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcpxAk7WIAAaQvB.jpg

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/705500553909030912

We can't finish at all.

Niall_Quinn
04-03-2016, 11:54 AM
This is what is wrong. Not "Pashun" or "determination" or "leadership."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcpxAk7WIAAaQvB.jpg

https://twitter.com/afcstuff/status/705500553909030912

We can't finish at all.

You heard Wenger - this is all down to bad luck. 10 seasons of bad luck, except for that time we had that guy who got 30 goals and could bang them in from anywhere but then we sold him to Utd so they could win the title.

Özim
04-03-2016, 02:00 PM
You heard Wenger - this is all down to bad luck. 10 seasons of bad luck, except for that time we had that guy who got 30 goals and could bang them in from anywhere but then we sold him to Utd so they could win the title.

Wenger's who ideology revolves around how lucky or unlucky we are, he doesn't try to minimise the effect luck has on a season by replacing crocks, signing proven goalscorers, bringing in leaders and cutting his losses on players who don't perform, hell even his tactics are down to luck, he has to be lucky enough to meet a side who's style is suited to the way we play.

mastermind84
04-03-2016, 02:18 PM

we finished 3rd that season tho.

We have Ozil who is playing out of his mind this season and setting up chance after chance and our wastemen are not taking them.

hobson's choice
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Wenger needed to do what Ferguson did when he bought in Queiroz.

The coaching game has changed in every sport. The head Coach/Manager has become more of an overseer.

Marc Overmars
04-03-2016, 04:22 PM
WUMger is a control freak, no chance of him delegating to the extent Fergie did.

That's why one of them retired on top of his game and the other will needed to be carted out in a straitjacket.

Gubby Allen
04-03-2016, 09:27 PM
we finished 3rd that season tho.

We have Ozil who is playing out of his mind this season and setting up chance after chance and our wastemen are not taking them.

That was still the bare minimum and last place for the Champions League that season though.

Gubby Allen
04-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Pretty obvious what is going on. We're about ten points clear of 5th place so, no need to let any unnecessary effort go to waste.

We won't be making the same monumental cock-up of misjudging coming 4th like we did last season.

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2016, 09:36 AM
It’s such a soul destroying feeling… terrible owner, impotent CEO and a manager who can’t stop because he doesn’t have a life. The groundhog feeling just goes on and on.

http://le-grove.co.uk/2016/03/07/4-major-reasons-arsenal-will-continue-to-stagnate-until-wenger-goes/

AFC Leveller
07-03-2016, 09:41 AM

He also told Fergie "He is better than you think, he will surprise you"

selassie
07-03-2016, 10:16 AM
http://le-grove.co.uk/2016/03/07/4-major-reasons-arsenal-will-continue-to-stagnate-until-wenger-goes/

Just read that, great balanced article.

Özim
07-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Funny that fans being behind them when they were "low on confidence" didn't help either.

As for feeling sorry for yourself and responding the next game, we've had a month and half of feeling sorry for ourselves and not responding, a draw at Spurs doesn't change much.

A draw was a decent result beaing in mind the circumstances, but in the context of what's happened before it's a poor result, we needed to win and didn't and have fallen further behind.

Of course though he's proud, we'd have been more proud if we'd actually not gone down to 10 and won, what a clown.

Wenger warns Arsenal fans: Your negativity isn't helping the players!

“I prefer that the fans are happy but I’m more worried that it can get to the players’ confidence level,” he said. “I feel we have shown a great response as a team that we can deal with that.”

He added: "You can feel sorry for yourself or respond straight away next game – that’s why I think the group is healthy and there’s a good mentality.”

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2016/03/07/21067442/wenger-warns-arsenal-fans-your-negativity-isnt-helping-the?ICID=HP_HN_HP_RI_0_1

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Just read that, great balanced article.

My only issue with the article is the fawning to Alisher Usmanov

Kroenke is a greedy billionaire who cares not one jot about our club, but whatever else he is, he's not a gangster.

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Kroenke is a greedy billionaire who cares not one jot about our club, but whatever else he is, he's not a gangster.

Kroenke is a type of gangster. Like your local racketeer who runs a protection racket on your street, he attaches himself to the efforts of others in order to steal a living, rather than use his own labour to earn rewards. He doesn't use bullets against those who won't play his game, he uses cash. He's part of an exclusive gang that can muscle its way into peoples lives whether wanted or not and then leech a lavish existence. He's worse than a gangster in some way. At least with a gangster you can go to the police if you are brave enough. Kroenke and his type are rich enough to create laws that make themselves immune to justice. They are like the Untouchables in reverse.

But no reason to idolise Jabba of course. He's both. Rich and gun toting.

selassie
07-03-2016, 12:31 PM

Aye Herb i'm with you on that. I have no interest in Usmanov moving things forward. Top level management (Kroenke, Gazidis and Wenger) at the club needs to be removed, never going to happen.

Kano
07-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Neither of them care one bit about the club. Yet fans are convinced themselves that the Russian will come in and spend endless amounts of money to turn us into City/Chelsea. When in fact he is right behind Wenger (for obvious reasons) and couldn't care less about onfield success.

Özim
07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
So what we're saying is basically we're screwed, we want Wenger gone but Kroenke won't get rid and we can't get rid of Kroenke either as Usmanov is just as bad and noone else will realistically come in. Let's just accept 4th place is as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future and also accept the fact we're not a top club in the real sense on the pitch that we're just going to have to watch the other clubs fight it out for the big prizes whilst we settle for their scraps.

I'd prefer to try something new personally as the current setup sure isn't working. but hey ho clearly there's no options.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Neither of them care one bit about the club. Yet fans are convinced themselves that the Russian will come in and spend endless amounts of money to turn us into City/Chelsea. When in fact he is right behind Wenger (for obvious reasons) and couldn't care less about onfield success.

I'm not sure about that he was very scathing of Wenger a year ago and has even offered money for transfers free of obligation (of course that means nothing with a man like that).

My issue is what Usmanov represents, yes Kroenke is an accquisitive piece of shit but not responsible for violence.

Kano
07-03-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure about that he was very scathing of Wenger a year ago and has even offered money for transfers free of obligation (of course that means nothing with a man like that).

My issue is what Usmanov represents, yes Kroenke is an accquisitive piece of shit but not responsible for violence.

His opinion is obviously as fluid as his bank account

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11785590/Arsenal-news-Alisher-Usmanov-says-Arsene-Wenger-should-keep-his-job-as-long-as-he-wants.html

When the other director is so quiet, it is easy for him to speak up and fill the void with whatever nonsense he wants.

Globalgunner
07-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Great article exactly on point. many of the same things have been pointed out for years on this forum. Wenger uses Arsenal as a life support mechanism. yank it out of him and he will likely shrivel up and expire within years. No joke. The sad part is a man who should have used his comfortable position to push this club forward has instead settled for the self preservation model. Give the man on top what he wants even when it is mediocrity, just polish it up once in a while with glimpses of greatness and oh-so-close attempts at winning big things. I really dont blame him anyway. a man cannot give what he doesnt have. Wenger never had the tools to be a top top manager, he just lucked his way to a winning formula when he came here.

Will he jump or will he have to be shoved into the mud. My guess is it will need a Mutiny on the bounty scenario where the officers eventualy turn on the Captain.

I dont agree about Alisher Usmanov. He is 4 times the billionaire that Kroenke is. He wants Arsenal as a vanity project. We may not like it but isnt that essentially what we are anyway, except to a tight arse instead of a show off. Usmanov only said the nice things about Wenger not to alienate the substantial base who still believed in this con man. That audience is gradually thinning. I would bet that Wenger wouldnt last a season if Usmanov takes over.

Gooner23
07-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Wenger now saying we've beaten Leicester twice so we've done our job. What about all the other games we've thrown away you absolute loon :doh:

selassie
07-03-2016, 02:15 PM
Saw this on Arsenal Mania, thought it was quite apt.

Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this “we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”.

1. The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow. You don’t have to do anything wrong, as long as your competitors catch the wave and do it RIGHT, you can lose out and fail.

To change and improve yourself is giving yourself a second chance. To be forced by others to change, is like being discarded.
Those who refuse to learn & improve, will definitely one day become redundant & not relevant to the industry. They will learn the lesson in a hard & expensive way.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nokia-ceo-ended-his-speech-saying-we-didnt-do-anything-ziyad-jawabra

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2016, 02:22 PM
Wenger now saying we've beaten Leicester twice so we've done our job. What about all the other games we've thrown away you absolute loon :doh:

Is this a new policy of one new excuse per day? Interested to see how long they can keep it going.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Well he'd have a point if we weren't doubled by Chelsea, had beaten Southampton and Swansea at home and not had that humiliation at United

Power n Glory
07-03-2016, 02:33 PM

So it's not our fault. Someone else is to blame. ;)

Marc Overmars
07-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Well he'd have a point if we weren't doubled by Chelsea, had beaten Southampton and Swansea at home and not had that humiliation at United

Yep, the guy has lost it. We've done a job but what he fails to mention is that it's half arsed at best.

Özim
07-03-2016, 03:22 PM

We've beaten the leaders twice, so the other results don't matter, we're the REAL champions as that was the REAL championship, the rest of the games don't matter at all.

Not bad, a 4th placed major trophy and a REAL championship win, two major trophies in one season, Wenger is working wonders, we must offer him a new contract before the likes of Barca nab him off us.

GP
07-03-2016, 03:24 PM
If Arsene were a dog, he would be Old Yeller.

selassie
07-03-2016, 03:28 PM

It's cringe worthy.

Letters
07-03-2016, 03:54 PM
If Arsene were a dog, he would be Old Yeller.

If Arsene were a face, he'd be your face.

GP
07-03-2016, 04:03 PM

If Arsene were a car, he'd be a Suzuki Swift.

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Here's what he's saying, with a translation below it.

'I believe that opinions are opinions. I do my job, some day someone will replace me and someone will replace you.That's part of life.

'I always try to do my best so when I leave the club the guy coming in after me will have a good potential to work.

'I have always the same pressure, the pressure I apply to myself. There are more people talking, more opinions. The real pressure is your desire to win the next game, the only one that matters really.'

'I feel privileged to have the confidence of club for such a long time but on the other hand I work seven days a week with full commitment.

'I have showed full commitment and that's all you can do. It is a privilege to work for the club for a long time.'

'You don't think like that,' [he said when asked whether the FA Cup is now Arsenal's most realistic chance of silverware.]

'The Premier League is far from being over. Just to remind you, we have beaten Leicester twice so we have done our job against them.

'People have to look at other teams more, not just us on that front. We will not give up the Premier League, we will fight until the end.'

'Who gives a fuck what people think?

'I'll leave when I'm good and ready and not a minute before, and I'll choose who comes in after me as well. Got that?

'Nothing changes here, I decide when there's pressure and when there is none. What pressure? From where? From whom? Fuck everyone else, useless chattering cunts, all the shit they worry about doesn't bother me one bit. I'm not interested.

'I'll let the club know when I'll leave.

'We don't bother with petty football realities here. We'll lie to the mugs out there right up until the few who can count work out we've done them again. By then the cash will be banked, the job will be done.

'Focus on other teams, leave us alone to get on with what we do, here's a sound-bite, piss off!

Letters
07-03-2016, 04:12 PM
:lol:

Have to say now I'm driving I see what you mean about it.
0-60...at some point.

Niall_Quinn
07-03-2016, 04:14 PM
:lol:

Have to say now I'm driving I see what you mean about it.
0-60...at some point.

Take the handbrake off you muppet.

Letters
07-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I am driving with a little bit handbrake :(

Letters
07-03-2016, 05:16 PM
It would be kinda funny if we finish 3rd, finally ahead of the billionaire fueled clubs, and then lose the league to Leicester and Spurs :lol:

:ilt:

Globalgunner
07-03-2016, 06:04 PM
It would be kinda funny if we finish 3rd, finally ahead of the billionaire fueled clubs, and then lose the league to Leicester and Spurs :lol:

:ilt:

Blessed are the poor of income. in time they will inherit the kingdom of the EPL

Xhaka Can’t
07-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Wenger hedges his bets by competing at the bear minimum.

I won't rest until we get the bear necessities.

Xhaka Can’t
07-03-2016, 08:26 PM

:haha:

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Today's output from Camp Wenger.

‘Look I have worked here for 19, 20 years and I’m always sitting here having to justify that I’m good enough to do the job.

‘I have no problem to cope with everything but I find that a bit boring in the end.

'I always have to convince you that I am good enough. I have worked for 35 years at the top level.’

‘I cannot influence the behaviour of the fans. How can I do that? You (the media) are the guys who speak to the fans.

'It’s not me. I am not on Twitter. I don’t invite anybody to go out to dinner and be nice with them.

‘I work and work and work and work. If it’s not good enough, someone will tell me one day. That’s all I can do. I do not worry about what you say about me or what fans say about me.

‘I try to do my job in a proper way and with full commitment.

'After that everybody has the right to have an opinion.

'You do not make a decision if I continue my job or not.
‘What I find just boring is always sitting here after 19 years to face, “Do you think you are good enough?”.

'I don’t know. I am humble enough every day to question myself, to accept my mistakes, and believe me I do that.

‘If I am not (good enough) somebody will tell me. There is no coincidence that the people who own the club tell me to be here for 19 years. Do you think they are more stupid than you or me?’

I agree with him. After 20 years it's getting boring.

Özim
08-03-2016, 09:19 AM
He says he accepts his mistakes, I beg to differ whenever he makes a mistakes it's someone or something else's fault.

As for the owners telling him he's not good enough, if they cared at all about football they would, sadly the bank account is the most important to them so what happens on the pitch is kinda irrelevant.

Letters
08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Yeah! It's annoying when people never admit they're wrong and constantly shift goalposts so they can claim they were right all along :sulk:

:whistle: