PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction Everton 0-2 Arsenal - WUMger Out

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 02:39 PM
WUMger out. Fool of a manager. Ruined that game. We've seen the players can do the job provided the mega tool in charge keeps his negative shit to himself.

adzzzbatch
19-03-2016, 02:40 PM
When we're pretty much out of it we deliver a win. :rolleyes:

Kano
19-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Just what we needed after the past week.

Solid defensively and in midfield, Everton didn't have a sniff.

Iwobi was great, Welbz cements his striker spot. If only Alexis could start firing again.

Well done Arsenal. 4th place trophy is on.

adzzzbatch
19-03-2016, 02:41 PM
"Arsenal FC not Arsene FC"

Spot on.

RomfordPele
19-03-2016, 02:42 PM
WUMger out. Fool of a manager. Ruined that game. We've seen the players can do the job provided the mega tool in charge keeps his negative shit to himself.

Yep, great first half by the boys, which just about put the game beyond Wenger.

He will do better at fucking up the next one though.

KSE Comedy Club
19-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Glad we won, but you can't help get the feeling that they think the pressure is off again.

Same old story.

Giroud looked shit when he came on and ruined the attack.

As NQ said, this squad really isn't all that bad and someone else would bring out the best in them.

Nothing has changed, Wenger out.

KSE Comedy Club
19-03-2016, 02:44 PM
"Arsenal FC not Arsene FC"

Spot on.

Who said that?

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 02:45 PM
What is the tool saving up for? We're out of everything now so how could it hurt to kick a bit of entertainment back to the fans? Why close out the game? Who are we saving? What midweek games do we have? Is it the law to follow the tired old negative shit every time we get an advantage?

Just let the players play you tool!

Meanwhile Kos and Gabriel didn't give Lukaku a sniff.

Good stuff from Iwobi, Elneny and Welbeck.

Bellerin with a shaky start but he improved and his ball for the second goal was superb.

Ozil and Alexis busy. Hopefully Ozil just wanted the afternoon off and hasn't picked up an injury.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Yep, great first half by the boys, which just about put the game beyond Wenger.

He will do better at fucking up the next one though.

Well now he knows who to bench.

adzzzbatch
19-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Who said that?

There was another banner in the Arsenal fans at the end of the match

Power n Glory
19-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Need to find a way to Jedi mind trick the players and coach to always think a top 4 finish is in danger.

Still a chance to win the league.

The Emirates Gallactico
19-03-2016, 02:51 PM
When we're pretty much out of it we deliver a win. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. :lol:

Decent win though Everton were dogshite. Still doesn't change anything though. Wenger out.

By the way, the first goal shows you the importance of having someone who can run in behind. No way could Giroud score that.

Ernesto
19-03-2016, 02:54 PM
What is the tool saving up for? We're out of everything now so how could it hurt to kick a bit of entertainment back to the fans? Why close out the game? Who are we saving? What midweek games do we have? Is it the law to follow the tired old negative shit every time we get an advantage?

Just let the players play you tool!

Meanwhile Kos and Gabriel didn't give Lukaku a sniff.

Good stuff from Iwobi, Elneny and Welbeck.

Bellerin with a shaky start but he improved and his ball for the second goal was superb.

Ozil and Alexis busy. Hopefully Ozil just wanted the afternoon off and hasn't picked up an injury.

The very same thing happened at Bournemouth. It becomes a Chelsea like procession over 90 minutes. It's boring and I think it actually displays an underlying nervousness.

I don't think he actually realises that, if we do end up making the impossible possible, we have a ridiculous amount of goal difference to make up on Spurs and Leicester. Today was one of the days to do it.

Power n Glory
19-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Decent win though Everton were dogshite. Still doesn't change anything though. Wenger out.

By the way, the first goal shows you the importance of having someone who can run in behind. No way could Giroud score that.

Keeper would have gobbled that up.if it were Giroud. That chance Iwobi had to play Giroud through is another example of what happens when Giroud is on the pitch. Too slow to make up the ground and nobody can play him through on goal.

McNamara That Ghost...
19-03-2016, 03:01 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/2gxr1hf.png

Kano
19-03-2016, 03:03 PM

No but that isn't the reason for his drop in form recently. He's had more then enough chances but finished poorly.

Still, 20 goals from him this season so he is playing at usual level. In relation to what we need for the team it isn't enough but we should know by now the limit to his capabilities.

Kano
19-03-2016, 03:04 PM

Not sure what showing that to the players was meant to do though.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 03:05 PM

They need some advice on fonts and white space.

Gubby Allen
That questioned has been answered then.

Arsenal finish fourth by having beaten Everton rather than having drew with them or lost to them.

Marc Overmars
Auto pilot 0-2. :bow:

How we've missed those. Much needed.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Keeper would have gobbled that up.if it were Giroud. That chance Iwobi had to play Giroud through is another example of what happens when Giroud is on the pitch. Too slow to make up the ground and nobody can play him through on goal.

Yep, spotted that. It looked like Iwobi fucked up, which he did to some degree, but the kid's play is fast, almost instant and Welbeck gives him what he needs. Put Giroud there and it's soon, soon, soon, any time now, hold it, wait :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
19-03-2016, 03:08 PM

It's only going to see what they may reasonably think undermined in the media.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Everyone liked the team selection today. And yet the fans know fuck all about football. Strange, isn't it?

Everyone, or mostly everyone, says fuck that tippy-tap bullshit out of here and play proper football. So we do that and we score a couple of great goals and dominate the first half. Weird. It's almost as if after 30 years watching the club some fans have a clue what's going on.

Then people said don't slack off. Don't do that negative shit. Press on. And Wenger ignored that and did his usual negative shit (while keeping a banged up keeper on the pitch btw) and the game faded out and the buzz was lost.

Arsene knows best.

fakeyank
19-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Did you guys see how animated Wenger was today? You put the team under pressure with the 4th place trophy and this man is up in arms. Nothing will ever come in between him and the consolation trophy!

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 03:16 PM
On the upside, Elneny and Coquelin look very good in the middle and both should be starting every match for the run-in. These pair of odd bastards actually stayed in midfield and did their job - well. Bizarre but it worked.

selassie
19-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Good performance and good result. Everyone turned up today and put in a shift, we looked good all over the pitch. Shame it's come at a time when the league is gone.

Globalgunner
19-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Does that mean Arsene wont see it. Seeing as he misses the obvious everytime nowadays?

dostoy
19-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Good win considering we were playing in Spain less than 3 days ago.

Everton were total shit and you could hear a pin drop the crowd was so quiet.

I just hope we finish in the top 3, thats about it really.

Wenger has still got to go.

Letters
19-03-2016, 04:33 PM
Good performance and result. Too little, too late as always but meh, I'll take it.

Xhaka Can’t
19-03-2016, 04:39 PM
That was an excellent performance especially considering the mid week effort. I fully expected things to continue going to pot so this is a pheasant surprise.

Letters
19-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Mmm...pheasant surprise.

Kano
19-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Does that mean Arsene wont see it. Seeing as he misses the obvious everytime nowadays?

He was probably back in the dressing room.

fakeyank
19-03-2016, 04:54 PM
May be win the last 9 game trophy.

Letters
19-03-2016, 05:00 PM
Did you guys see how animated Wenger was today? You put the team under pressure with the 4th place trophy and this man is up in arms. Nothing will ever come in between him and the consolation trophy!
This is bullshit of course. There's plenty of material to hammer Wenger with, there's no need to make things up.

fakeyank
19-03-2016, 05:10 PM
This is bullshit of course. There's plenty of material to hammer Wenger with, there's no need to make things up.

Did you watch the game? I havent seen Wenger animated like today when we were dozing against Swansea, Southampton and the countless other shit performances we dished out this season. Most likely I am biased in my view, but my dislike gets the better of me. Cant stand that prick!

Letters
19-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Yes, I watched the game.
It's increasingly clear he can't push us on but it's not because he doesn't want to or doesn't care about anything other than finishing top 4. You can see how sulky he gets when things aren't going well, it clearly hurts him.

Letters
19-03-2016, 05:20 PM
And really. 'Can't stand that prick'?
Have a word with yourself.

Munchies
19-03-2016, 06:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-G1kns-mHQ

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 06:35 PM
That was an excellent performance especially considering the mid week effort. I fully expected things to continue going to pot so this is a pheasant surprise.

We plucked that one out of the air.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Get out of our club,
Get out of our club,
Fuck off Stan Kroenke,
Get out of our club!

selassie
19-03-2016, 07:04 PM
On the upside, Elneny and Coquelin look very good in the middle and both should be starting every match for the run-in. These pair of odd bastards actually stayed in midfield and did their job - well. Bizarre but it worked.

Yeah they were both very good, Coq especially looked like he was playing back at a similar level to last season, he was immense. Too little too late, it wouldn't surprise me if we go on a little run now, of course we'll most likely secure top 4 but watching Leicester win PL is starting to sink in and it really hurts TBH.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Arsenal won today. They played well. After than I went out with family and had a few drinks. Nice day. It should be like this all the time.

I even feel ambivalent towards Wenger, this is the best relationship I've had with him in months.

I would like to see us play decent football next week too. That would make me happy.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Yeah they were both very good, Coq especially looked like he was playing back at a similar level to last season, he was immense. Too little too late, it wouldn't surprise me if we go on a little run now, of course we'll most likely secure top 4 but watching Leicester win PL is starting to sink in and it really hurts TBH.

Better them than you know who. In fact if we can't win it then of all the clubs I'd prefer to see doing it, it would be LeicesterWest Ham.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Okay so I was happy and then that cunt Ty turned up on AFTV!

Not a peep from the cunt after the Watford or Barca games, then we win and out he comes with that fucking water bottle.

I think I hate him most of all, even more than scarecrow and tin man.

selassie
19-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Better them than you know who. In fact if we can't win it then of all the clubs I'd prefer to see doing it, it would be LeicesterWest Ham.

Yep.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Fan base turned heavily against Kroenke today. I'm up for that. I'd rather see Kroenke go than Wenger go - solves a bigger problem. If the fans want to keep the heat on that leech for the rest of the season then that works for me.

What I really want to see Wenger do for the next 8 games is find his balls. 90 minutes of all out attacking football, not 45. No more saving the players, no more worrying about who is fit, who is in the bullshit red zone. If these players can't do 8 more games flat out then fuck that.

8 more game, go for it, fans united (except Ty) and the primary focus on winning every game with secondary focus on Kroenke out.

Win the last 8 and it will still be an absolute shambles of a season for which Wenger has to give answers, but at least we'll have scraped up a bit of pride and put the heat on those bastard spuds.

Please don't do an Arsenal and lose the next game FFS.

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 07:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15O_b-Ijy-k

Munchies
19-03-2016, 07:29 PM

I'm so pissed off with it all man :(

Win against Swansea/United/Spurs, 3 very winnable games that we fucked up, and we'd be right near the top right now with a half decent run in.

it hurts :(

GP
19-03-2016, 07:35 PM

Win against Swansea/United/Spurs, 3 very winnable games that we fucked up, and we'd be right near the top right now with a half decent run in.

West Brom, Norwich, Southampton...

Munchies
19-03-2016, 07:40 PM
West Brom, Norwich, Southampton...

:ilt:

Munchies
19-03-2016, 07:41 PM
Manu Petit :bow:

vid : https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/711167409915301888

Niall_Quinn
19-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Manu Petit :bow:

vid : https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/711167409915301888

We all know the guy is right, but we aren't going to change our sport. In fact if the current executive remains in place we aren't going to change a damn thing.

I am invisible
19-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Didn't realise we were the early kick off today - nice surprise to check the scores, and find out that we'd already won. Actually enjoyed my Saturday.

Call it luck or judgment or whatever, but I think we've got a starting XI that works here! Campbell might have as good a shout as Iwobi, and Per and Gabriel are 50/50, but no one else that we have available should be starting right now. Even with everyone back, I'd be tempted to say that Cech and Cazorla are the only players who walk back into the side...

selassie
19-03-2016, 09:53 PM

Yep, we really blew it this season.

Marc Overmars
19-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Didn't realise we were the early kick off today - nice surprise to check the scores, and find out that we'd already won. Actually enjoyed my Saturday.

Call it luck or judgment or whatever, but I think we've got a starting XI that works here! Campbell might have as good a shout as Iwobi, and Per and Gabriel are 50/50, but no one else that we have available should be starting right now. Even with everyone back, I'd be tempted to say that Cech and Cazorla are the only players who walk back into the side...

This has happened so many times before, it takes hitting rock bottom for Wenger to make the changes needed. It's nice to have new players making an impact but it's too little, too late. The same tried and trusted players have been allowed to get away with murder all season. It's just a poor oversight and one of the main reasons he's not good enough to kick us on now, not enough pro-active coaching.

Gooner23
19-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Even in his post match interview you can tell he still doesn't agree with or understand the recent criticism.

It's ridiculous to fall upon your best team by chance once again. Happy we won and played well but a decent end of season run cannot paper over the cracks. He has to go at the end of the season.

Grebbo
20-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Giroud really annoyed me when he came on. He's lost his place to Welbz so you'd think he'd try and impress. No... he barely broke sweat and was just a complete slob when he did have the ball.

Ospina is a pussy.

Campbell needs to play more, should have come on for Iwobi instead of this Gibbs nonsense.

Everton were absolutely woeful but make no mistake we'd have crumbled if that Jagielka header had gone in.

Özim
20-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Good win but at a time when there's no pressure on us anymore, how predictable. This will probably be the start of a min unbeaten run which will further convince the guy at the helm (if he needs any more convincing) that everything is perfect and that next season we're ready to win everything.

Probably won't see much significant activity in the summer either as the has failed to learn any lessons in 10 years. Pretty sad for the fans to know that nothing is going to change at all.

Good news is we're winning the 4th place battle.

Özim
20-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Even in his post match interview you can tell he still doesn't agree with or understand the recent criticism.

It's ridiculous to fall upon your best team by chance once again. Happy we won and played well but a decent end of season run cannot paper over the cracks. He has to go at the end of the season.

He wouldn't because he's somewhat lacking intelligence in his comprehension skills.

Power n Glory
20-03-2016, 01:34 PM
We've had Elneny available since January but we've been playing Flamini and Ramsey instead. Once again, we'd still be playing Ramsey if it weren't for injury.

Credit to Wenger for finally dropping Giroud. How long did it take? 8 games without a goal?

AFC Leveller
20-03-2016, 01:56 PM
We've had Elneny available since January but we've been playing Flamini and Ramsey instead. Once again, we'd still be playing Ramsey if it weren't for injury.

Credit to Wenger for finally dropping Giroud. How long did it take? 8 games without a goal?

Ramsey and Flamini were a horible duo, i dont think we won any games with them in the middle yet Elneny, who is a proper CM, was benched and sometimes not even in the squad.

Gooner23
20-03-2016, 02:04 PM
The crazy thing with that is it was patently obvious the Flamini / Ramsey partnership does not and will not ever work. Another big mistake in a long list this season for monsieur Wenger.

AFC Leveller
20-03-2016, 02:07 PM
He says this win means his team have passed a mental test! lol what about the failures at Man utd and Swansea just a few weeks ago when the pressure was really on?

Gooner23
20-03-2016, 02:14 PM
I really don't think he feels the recent criticism was justified, proper head in the sand stuff.

Niall_Quinn
20-03-2016, 02:48 PM
He says this win means his team have passed a mental test! lol what about the failures at Man utd and Swansea just a few weeks ago when the pressure was really on?

Yes, little bit the exact opposite. If we do win a few games now and Leicester let a few points drop we'll soon see (again) how we handle the pressure.

Kano
20-03-2016, 10:59 PM
Truces are rarely as temporary. As the most comfortable of victories secured Arsenal a five-point cushion to fifth place, this seemed a restorative day but the final whistle was still a few minutes away when the club’s civil war resumed. If the first shots were the loudest, in the form of a chorus from the visiting fans, the principal Gunner returned fire with interest, pleading for peace yet risking escalating the conflict.

After supporters, with choice words, repeatedly told the absentee majority shareholder, Stan Kroenke, to “get out of our club”, Arsène Wenger defended other allies from not-so-friendly fire. The Arsenal manager’s gripe was that the pressure on his players, and the perception they were failing, is amplified by their own followers. He was particularly aggrieved that their north London derby draw, which followed three successive defeats, was not received more favourably.

“What hurts me is that at the important moment of the season we played in a sceptical environment,” he said. “I think after the Tottenham game where we played a very good game with 10 men against 11 and came back to 2-2, I couldn’t understand why – at the moment when you need everyone behind the team – we had to hit that storm. From the media, OK. From our fans? It is a bit more difficult to take.”

More placatory comments followed. “I never complain about critics, especially when they are turned against me,” Wenger added. “But we have to get the fans behind us with our attitude, and make sure that they stand behind the team until the end of the season.”

It was a call for unity, even if the rival camps’ positions seem more entrenched. Supporters are disenchanted – some used Kroenke as a proxy for Wenger and one banner proclaimed “Time for change, Arsenal FC not Arsène FC” – and the club’s establishment feel their arguments betray an ingratitude. The masses want prizes, the manager talks about pounds. “I built this club over 19 years with the quality of my work, not with resources from outside,” said Wenger. “Not with big sponsorship but by caring about every pound that I spent.”

A game notable for fiscal prudence and footballing excellence was a typically Wenger-esque occasion. He can see victories as vindication. Rather than ploughing much of Arsenal’s vast cash reserves into the January transfer market, he acquired Mohamed Elneny for £7.4m. The busy Egyptian exerted an influence. Otherwise Wenger found the answers within. He can be a master of mid-season improvisation, even if the way his initial plans unravel means he sometimes has to be, and he looks for renewal and rejuvenation from his own.

Last season Francis Coquelin was catapulted from obscurity. Now Alex Iwobi made an auspicious first league start, garnished with a goal. Wenger has long resisted entreaties to buy a world-class centre-forward and instead reiterated his faith in Danny Welbeck, the other scorer. Arsenal’s seasons invariably end with the question of what might have been if only key players had stayed fit. Welbeck’s campaign began on Valentine’s Day. “You cannot say you don’t miss a player of that stature for eight months,” Wenger said. “He can make a real difference in the final eight games.”

He has an instinctive preference for continuity, on the playing staff and in the backroom team alike. He is on course for a 20th consecutive top-four finish; the accusation is that Arsenal are in a state of stasis, the reality that Wenger is, to paraphrase José Mourinho, a specialist in averting failure. The Frenchman’s belief is that they are progressing.

“The club has moved forward a lot,” he said. “I just want to continue that.” While a growing faction urge him to leave Arsenal, he has rejected offers from many another club to stay. Would he care to put a number on it? A manager whose grounding in economics gives him a famously good grasp of the figures affected an ignorance. “No,” he said with a knowing smile.

Wenger is not going anywhere, so a decision has to be made by the fans going to the games. In reality next season could be extremely ugly if the 'Wenger Out' campaign spreads throughout the whole of 16/17. If so, then it will probably affect the team and our performances would end up being even worse. Which may be a worthwhile short term sacrifice to make if he leaves at the end of his contract. But it won't be pretty. It's easy to get behind that on the internet but another thing entirely when you've shelled out x amount of pounds to go and watch your team.

One thing is for sure, this is not all going to end well at all.

selassie
20-03-2016, 11:10 PM
The crazy thing with that is it was patently obvious the Flamini / Ramsey partnership does not and will not ever work. Another big mistake in a long list this season for monsieur Wenger.

Yep, Wenger leaves things far too late, it's just in his nature, he just gambles on players playing themselves back into form, the thing is like you said re: Flamini/Ramsey it was clear early on that the partnership was a trainwreck yet Wenger persisted with it and it cost us a lot of points, it wasn't the sole reason but a big reason. Look at the difference between their partnership and what we've seen with Coq/Elneny, they controlled Central Midfield on Saturday from the first minute and didn't even do anything flash, just standard stuff like passing and moving and holding possession.

They were decent against Barca too.

This shit happens every season with Wenger, it's the reason why he needs to go at the end of the season, it's absolutely not unacceptable how it has turned out this season, it's been a trainwreck of a season and no amount of spin will convince me that he is the man to lead us forward.

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Wenger is not going anywhere, so a decision has to be made by the fans going to the games. In reality next season could be extremely ugly if the 'Wenger Out' campaign spreads throughout the whole of 16/17. If so, then it will probably affect the team and our performances would end up being even worse. Which may be a worthwhile short term sacrifice to make if he leaves at the end of his contract. But it won't be pretty. It's easy to get behind that on the internet but another thing entirely when you've shelled out x amount of pounds to go and watch your team.

One thing is for sure, this is not all going to end well at all.

Wait a minute, our mentally strong team can't handle a few boos? What happened to having many leaders on the pitch? ;)

Instead of lecturing the fans, Wenger needs to have a word with his players. This sort of stuff doesn't help the situation. When he ignores the obvious, says nothing new, tries nothing new and we get the same results, what does he expect from the fans? So quick to lash out against supporters but not peep about some really poor performances. He seems delusional.

Marc Overmars
21-03-2016, 08:20 AM
He really has no clue why things have turned so sour does he? He just doesn't get it. Maybe he should start from last summer when he decided to sign no one and go from there. Completely deluded.

I still and always will appreciate everything he's done but this will always be the year I fell out of love with Arsene Wenger.

Gooner23
21-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Me too MO. I've wanted him to stand down for a few years now, but have maintained my respect for him and even still clung on to a faint hope that given the chance he may be able to turn it around.

This season though he has really been shown up as arrogant, deluded and disrespectful towards the fans. Seems like he really can't deal with the fact that all the convenient excuses have dried up. To blame the fans for the poor run of form is the last straw.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 09:00 AM
Wait a minute, our mentally strong team can't handle a few boos? What happened to having many leaders on the pitch? ;)

Instead of lecturing the fans, Wenger needs to have a word with his players. This sort of stuff doesn't help the situation. When he ignores the obvious, says nothing new, tries nothing new and we get the same results, what does he expect from the fans? So quick to lash out against supporters but not peep about some really poor performances. He seems delusional.

It's a form of blackmail. If the fans don't get behind the team then the team could suffer and it will be the fault of the fans. It won't be the fault of a manager who has failed to build the team that could compete with the elite of Europe, the purpose of the stadium move and the doubling of ticket prices. It won't be the fault of the players who enjoy one of the highest wage bills in world football. It won't be the fault of the board or the owners who all help themselves to lavish rewards whilst jealously guarding the club chequebook. It will be down to the fans and their failure to accept whatever is dished up with good grace and a cheer. The buck stops with the fans. Eat shit and like it. And as for the Internet warrior fans, long since priced out of their own club, well they aren't fans at all. If you don't have the cash then shut up, you don't have a say.

I have a feeling this rapidly emerging and developing excuse to replace all the other excuses that have been blown out of existence will be met with the contempt it deserves.

Özim
21-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Wenger criticising the fans, if we hadn't played so poorly for so long it might have been very different, as usual though it's never his fault:

“What hurts me is that at the important moment of the season we played in a sceptical environment,” he said. “I think after the Tottenham game where we played a very good game with 10 men against 11 and came back to 2-2, I couldn’t understand why – at the moment when you need everyone behind the team – we had to hit that storm. From the media, OK. From our fans? It is a bit more difficult to take.”

He also added

“I built this club over 19 years with the quality of my work, not with resources from outside,” said Wenger. “Not with big sponsorship but by caring about every pound that I spent.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/20/arsene-wenger-arsenal-record-fans-stan-kroenke

Özim
21-03-2016, 09:31 AM
I also found interview after the Everton match patronising as hell, he talked about our effort etc and the fact we'd passed the mental test. He also said he likes this group and their attitude and it hurts him to hear them criticised.

Is he serious? We've failed every test we've had this season, when the pressure was on we collapsed, now there's no pressure we get a win with a good performance (although Everton played poorly and Martinez said it was their worst match of the season)...he just doesn't get it. As usual though he's full of praise for the players despite a collapse on a monumental scale.

You really just cannot move forward with someone so blind to the truth and blinkered, to move forward you have to accept your mistakes/faults and then move to fix/solve them, what's clear is this season's collapse is nothing to do with him or the players in his head, it's because the fans weren't supportive enough according to him.

Letters
21-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Really? You didn't like what someone you HATE AS MUCH AS HAD HE KILLED YOUR PARENTS said in an interview?
Gosh, that is interesting. Please, tell me more.

Gooner23
21-03-2016, 09:47 AM
I agree with Zim on this one. Blaming the fans is inexcusable.

Letters
21-03-2016, 09:55 AM
He hasn't 'blamed' the fans but that doesn't mean the toxic atmosphere, while understandable, is helpful.

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 10:35 AM
It's a form of blackmail. If the fans don't get behind the team then the team could suffer and it will be the fault of the fans. It won't be the fault of a manager who has failed to build the team that could compete with the elite of Europe, the purpose of the stadium move and the doubling of ticket prices. It won't be the fault of the players who enjoy one of the highest wage bills in world football. It won't be the fault of the board or the owners who all help themselves to lavish rewards whilst jealously guarding the club chequebook. It will be down to the fans and their failure to accept whatever is dished up with good grace and a cheer. The buck stops with the fans. Eat shit and like it. And as for the Internet warrior fans, long since priced out of their own club, well they aren't fans at all. If you don't have the cash then shut up, you don't have a say.

I have a feeling this rapidly emerging and developing excuse to replace all the other excuses that have been blown out of existence will be met with the contempt it deserves.

For a guy that often takes the softly softly approach with his players, avoiding criticism of them in public, I don’t get why he’s approaching this issue so bluntly. It’s no way to get the fans on side. It comes across arrogant and it’s even more so that he chooses to address the issue after a victory rather than face up to the issue earlier. When Henry spoke in the press about the fans being upset he brushed Henry off as some sort of ‘prawn sandwich brigade’ supporter that had no idea what’s really going on around the stadium. There really isn’t a need for that. When asked about the banner he said he didn’t care and made out as if it didn’t affect him. Acting as if it’s all part of the parcel for him. Now after a victory he’s talking about being hurt by the fans and being displeased with the environment. Do me a favour!

It sounds a little like blackmail to me. Pisses me off that people buy into it as well. Highlighted point included. Fans shouldn’t have this sort of mentality either.

alexander
21-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Bit late on catching the highlights, but generally pleased with the performance. Young Alex is looking good, I just hope he dont end up like Jack, but enjoy his style of play. Alexis has looked better these last two games too.
When we signed Welbeck, I admit I was a tad uninspired, but after his performances last season I thought he impressed. Still dont think he will get 25+ goals a season, but he is fast, mobile, strong and really adds some pace and (more) skill than Theo. Good to see him back.

As we know wenger wont go this summer, what would ease the final 12 months of his contract? If he goes and buys real world class CB, CB and CF (we can dream) this summer, and lay the foundations for a new hungry manager to come in, would that be enough? or will only a Premier league win suffice?

Özim
21-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Really? You didn't like what someone you HATE AS MUCH AS HAD HE KILLED YOUR PARENTS said in an interview?
Gosh, that is interesting. Please, tell me more.

Wow, you love to find reasons to discredit someone's criticisms' of him don't you, it's almost like you worship the guy.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Bit late on catching the highlights, but generally pleased with the performance. Young Alex is looking good, I just hope he dont end up like Jack, but enjoy his style of play. Alexis has looked better these last two games too.
When we signed Welbeck, I admit I was a tad uninspired, but after his performances last season I thought he impressed. Still dont think he will get 25+ goals a season, but he is fast, mobile, strong and really adds some pace and (more) skill than Theo. Good to see him back.

As we know wenger wont go this summer, what would ease the final 12 months of his contract? If he goes and buys real world class CB, CB and CF (we can dream) this summer, and lay the foundations for a new hungry manager to come in, would that be enough? or will only a Premier league win suffice?

Even a title wouldn't suffice because the lack of trophies isn't what the fans are complaining about. It's the lack of ambition and the failure to compete for trophies. Wenger doesn't get this at all. He points at FA Cups and states everything is okay, as if the trophies explain or excuse the failure to compete at the highest level or brush away the routine collapses his teams suffer whenever pressure is applied. Everyone has a smile on their face after the first half display against Everton. That's what I, and I suspect most fans, want to see. A well thought out team with a plan, tactics to suit the opponent, ambitious play, commitment and focus from the players and, above all, entertaining football with an end product. The smile soured when Wenger went negative in the second half and we reverted to what the fans have been complaining about, ponderous, unambitious football played to the law of averages. Taking what we had when we could have pressed on and taken more. We've had to put up with that sort of football all season and the seasons before. It doesn't work, it doesn't serve us beyond securing entry into a European tournament we have zero chance of winning because the team isn't good enough and the manager isn't good enough. At a club like Arsenal we should at least have a chance in every competition we enter. We should at least be able to achieve what Leicester and the spuds are doing this season. There's no excuse for anything less. If we give it everything but don't come out with the trophy then that's understandable, there's only one trophy and sometimes you have to hold your hands up and accept another club did a little but more to win it. But of you haven't poured every effort into trying to win the trophy, that's when it becomes unacceptable. When you haven't done the maximum possible in the transfer windows, when you haven't done everything you can to prepare before the games, when you haven't given it everything on the pitch. This is the complaint and the reason Wenger has to go is because he just doesn't understand it. He thinks we should be grateful to be a mediocre Last 16 Cup ever present. He thinks that's an achievement to crow about.

Letters
21-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Wow, you love to find reasons to discredit someone's criticisms' of him don't you, it's almost like you worship the guy.

No, I just don't hate him :lol:

The Emirates Gallactico
21-03-2016, 11:04 AM
Sigh what are you doing Arsene?

Surely you realise that the toxic atmosphere was only born from the team spectacularly & comically once again blowing a chance to win the league at the critical point due to piss poor management. And probably the best chance we'll get in years at that!!

Özim
21-03-2016, 11:05 AM
No, I just don't hate him :lol:

Really? You don't say.

Tell me more...

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 11:06 AM
He hasn't 'blamed' the fans but that doesn't mean the toxic atmosphere, while understandable, is helpful.

It's helpful if it forces long overdue changes. Otherwise what's to stop this shit continuing for the next 20 years? If everyone stays silent in case they upset the 100K per week, I drive a Lamborghini, here's my latest tweet, players and nobody criticises the Top 4 Trophy manager and nobody raises complaint against the nothing in, that'll be £3million please, owner then where does the pressure come from? The owner is happy. The manager is happy. The players are happy. The fans are scalped. We can all play happy families but why must the fans be the odd one out in terms of having to grasp the shitty end of the stick and like it?

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 11:11 AM
And if the fans are suddenly so important to a club that "thanks us for our interest in their affairs", and if the manager and the players continue to fuck up and can't get the job done - then let the fans pick the team and set the tactics. That way we'll be more than spectators, we'll be responsible for what goes on on the pitch and maybe then the criticism will be warranted. Until then it should be the greedy owner and the non-performing manager and his players who carry the can when it all goes to shit.

alexander
21-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Even a title wouldn't suffice because the lack of trophies isn't what the fans are complaining about. It's the lack of ambition and the failure to compete for trophies. Wenger doesn't get this at all. He points at FA Cups and states everything is okay, as if the trophies explain or excuse the failure to compete at the highest level or brush away the routine collapses his teams suffer whenever pressure is applied. Everyone has a smile on their face after the first half display against Everton. That's what I, and I suspect most fans, want to see. A well thought out team with a plan, tactics to suit the opponent, ambitious play, commitment and focus from the players and, above all, entertaining football with an end product. The smile soured when Wenger went negative in the second half and we reverted to what the fans have been complaining about, ponderous, unambitious football played to the law of averages. Taking what we had when we could have pressed on and taken more. We've had to put up with that sort of football all season and the seasons before. It doesn't work, it doesn't serve us beyond securing entry into a European tournament we have zero chance of winning because the team isn't good enough and the manager isn't good enough. At a club like Arsenal we should at least have a chance in every competition we enter. We should at least be able to achieve what Leicester and the spuds are doing this season. There's no excuse for anything less. If we give it everything but don't come out with the trophy then that's understandable, there's only one trophy and sometimes you have to hold your hands up and accept another club did a little but more to win it. But of you haven't poured every effort into trying to win the trophy, that's when it becomes unacceptable. When you haven't done the maximum possible in the transfer windows, when you haven't done everything you can to prepare before the games, when you haven't given it everything on the pitch. This is the complaint and the reason Wenger has to go is because he just doesn't understand it. He thinks we should be grateful to be a mediocre Last 16 Cup ever present. He thinks that's an achievement to crow about.

I take your point about the second half at Everton, but under the circumstances this time I will accept that we backed off, as the results have been so very poor recently that he probably thought he couldnt be beaten again.
On a usual day i get a tad annoyed by his mannor of taking off attacking MF and forward to replace them with a defensive MF like Flam, or Gibbs in midfield. This only ever seems to draw pressure upon us. I would rather he brought on a outlet for the ball, someone like Theo, Joel etc that gives us an option. Too often it backfires on us. Maybe not the best example, but on saturday West ham, having been pegged back to 1-1 brought on attacking players and went for it and got another goal. Now they did end up 2-2, but the manager did go for it, and if we were in a similar situation Im sure wenger would have opted for the draw and gone defensive. Chelsea used to do this under Mour, but their defender and defensive midfield were much better than what we had/have on offer. For years now even at 3-0 up at 60 mins, I wouldnt be totally confident that we will close out the game. We just make it hard for ourselves at times.
I will let the everton game go, as we were too terrified to lose, but wish we would just stop going defensive later in games, we cant defend and our attack (as crap as it can be) is still better than our defense.

Gooner23
21-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Maybe not outright, but as good as much. He is certainly pointing an accusing finger. Our poor performances stretch back much further than the recent heavy criticism. And the atmosphere isn't that toxic (yet) anyway, it's going to get a lot worse your feel.

GP
21-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Maybe not outright, but as good as much. He is certainly pointing an accusing finger. Our poor performances stretch back much further than the recent heavy criticism. And the atmosphere isn't that toxic (yet) anyway, it's going to get a lot worse your feel.

I'm not sure. Winning games feels good. You pick up 3 points and most people go home happy.

There will always be a few who won't be satisfied but I feel it won't be enough to force change.

Gooner23
21-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I think this season feels different in that a lot of 'on the fencers', myself included, are now firmly in the Wenger out camp. And we haven't really seen the vocal criticism of Kroenke up until now. Winning a few games in the run in won't count for anything. This season has been a monumental fuck up, probably the biggest of Arsene's reign. Deep down he must know it, surely Gazidis is savvy enough to know it. I won't hold my breath though.

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 11:31 AM
I take your point about the second half at Everton, but under the circumstances this time I will accept that we backed off, as the results have been so very poor recently that he probably thought he couldnt be beaten again.
On a usual day i get a tad annoyed by his mannor of taking off attacking MF and forward to replace them with a defensive MF like Flam, or Gibbs in midfield. This only ever seems to draw pressure upon us. I would rather he brought on a outlet for the ball, someone like Theo, Joel etc that gives us an option. Too often it backfires on us. Maybe not the best example, but on saturday West ham, having been pegged back to 1-1 brought on attacking players and went for it and got another goal. Now they did end up 2-2, but the manager did go for it, and if we were in a similar situation Im sure wenger would have opted for the draw and gone defensive. Chelsea used to do this under Mour, but their defender and defensive midfield were much better than what we had/have on offer. For years now even at 3-0 up at 60 mins, I wouldnt be totally confident that we will close out the game. We just make it hard for ourselves at times.
I will let the everton game go, as we were too terrified to lose, but wish we would just stop going defensive later in games, we cant defend and our attack (as crap as it can be) is still better than our defense.

The subs were pointless and it’s poor man management that comes back to bite us. Besides inviting pressure on ourselves, it does nothing for players like Campbell or off form attacking players that need game time to find their momentum. I really can’t understand why Campbell’s been frozen out and not rewarded with a start considering his contribution over recent games.

Letters
21-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Really? You don't say.

Tell me more...

OK, I will. :tiphat:

I think it's time to move on from Wenger, but that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING he says or does is wrong.
It's bizarre how much some people hate him on here, like he just ran over their dog.

Letters
21-03-2016, 11:43 AM
I think this season feels different in that a lot of 'on the fencers', myself included, are now firmly in the Wenger out camp. And we haven't really seen the vocal criticism of Kroenke up until now. Winning a few games in the run in won't count for anything. This season has been a monumental fuck up, probably the biggest of Arsene's reign. Deep down he must know it, surely Gazidis is savvy enough to know it. I won't hold my breath though.

That's right, but now the people who were in the Wenger Our camp have now made a new "WENGER IS A **** AND I HOPE HE DIES IN A FIRE" camp.
Which is a silly camp, if you ask me. I'm not joining that one.

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 11:49 AM

I think it's time to move on from Wenger, but that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING he says or does is wrong.
It's bizarre how much some people hate him on here, like he just ran over their dog.

Cut the bullshit, Letters. Always find a way to go to extremes.

alexander
21-03-2016, 11:50 AM
That's right, but now the people who were in the Wenger Our camp have now made a new "WENGER IS A **** AND I HOPE HE DIES IN A FIRE" camp.

yeah there is no need for that. This season has made me finally think I want him gone, but thats all, I dont hate him, I just think its time for a change. I also dont agree with the `he wants to lose`and all that rubbish. I just think his time has passed, and sometimes he wont adapt his tactics to match the teams we face which I think any team needs to do in the current league.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Nobody has made that camp so there is nothing for you to join even if you wanted to. Almost every fan I have heard express an opinion and wants Wenger out is in line with that banner, thanks for the memories but please go now. Fans getting angry with Wenger's continued weekly fuck-ups is not the same thing. You could be Wenger in or Wenger out but just as pissed off with his stupid substitutions, for example.

Letters
21-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Always find a way to go to extremes.
:haha:

Irony :bow:

Letters
21-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Nobody has made that camp so there is nothing for you to join even if you wanted to. Almost every fan I have heard express an opinion and wants Wenger out is in line with that banner, thanks for the memories but please go now. Fans getting angry with Wenger's continued weekly fuck-ups is not the same thing. You could be Wenger in or Wenger out but just as pissed off with his stupid substitutions, for example.

On Saturday you described him as, and I quote "The biggest cock in football". While we were winning two nil.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 11:55 AM
On Saturday you described him as, and I quote "The biggest cock in football". While we were winning two nil.

That's what I think he is. I don't think there's a more stubborn or deluded manager in world football. The stuff he's come out with today just reinforces that belief. Do I want him to die in a fire? No. Did he run over my dog? No. Did he kill my parents? No.

I say what I mean. Why do you say the things you say?

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 11:56 AM
:haha:

Irony :bow:

You're really on the WUM today.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 12:00 PM
You're really on the WUM today.

He's not the WUM. Everyone else is.

Kano
21-03-2016, 12:01 PM

Wenger has made plenty of bad subs throughout the season but this weekend they made sense. Everton went to a back three with five in midfield in the second half and it showed as they had more of the ball but still next to no chances. Our defence and midfield played really well in that respect. We still hit them on the break but weren't as decisive as we were in the first half. Coleman was also having more joy down the right hand side later in the game, due to that extra man they had in midfield but once we brought on Gibbs, that outlet was shored up and we started to regain possession. As maddening as Wenger's subs can be, not every one he makes is rubbish.

Letters
21-03-2016, 12:05 PM
That's what I think he is.
Well, obviously there's no objective scale of cockness so it's a pretty silly claim but really?
Compared with, say, Mourinho?
If you say so. I'll just stick with what I said on the "angrist you've been" thread.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Well, obviously there's no objective scale of cockness so it's a pretty silly claim but really?
Compared with, say, Mourinho?
If you say so. I'll just stick with what I said on the "angrist you've been" thread.

Maureen is a horrible cunt. Totally different. A horrible, hateful person. That's why he makes his innuendos about paedophilia and why he gouges out cancer patient's eyes.

Wenger is his own worst enemy. The sort of bloke who will persist with what he knows to be wrong just so he doesn't have to admit he's wrong. A classic cock, tbf.

Gooner23
21-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Come on, that's a huge exaggeration. I am not talking about a handful of internet trolls, but the majority fan base. I have a lot of Arsenal friends of varying ages, some regular match goers, and Wenger Out seems to be quite unanimous now.

Letters
21-03-2016, 12:16 PM
It is a huge exaggeration, as are many of the posts on here.
Wenger can't do or say anything these days without howls of protest. It really is very silly.
He does need to go but he isn't the "biggest cock in football" or a "****" or many of the other insults people throw at him on here.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Wenger has made plenty of bad subs throughout the season but this weekend they made sense. Everton went to a back three with five in midfield in the second half and it showed as they had more of the ball but still next to no chances. Our defence and midfield played really well in that respect. We still hit them on the break but weren't as decisive as we were in the first half. Coleman was also having more joy down the right hand side later in the game, due to that extra man they had in midfield but once we brought on Gibbs, that outlet was shored up and we started to regain possession. As maddening as Wenger's subs can be, not every one he makes is rubbish.

And we dropped 10 yards deeper and abandoned the pressing game, contributing far more to Everton's increased possession than anything they did.

alexander
21-03-2016, 12:20 PM

yes i agree, especially saturdays. Sometimes though he doesnt help himself!

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 12:23 PM
It is a huge exaggeration, as are many of the posts on here.
Wenger can't do or say anything these days without howls of protest. It really is very silly.
He does need to go but he isn't the "biggest cock in football" or a "****" or many of the other insults people throw at him on here.

Are you his lawyer or something? What's it to you? There's a swathe of fans out there on twatter and the rest of the populated Internet that call Wenger everything under the sun, calling for his death, wishing horrendous things on him. There's nothing on this forum that comes close. But you feel the need for a respect campaign? Sign up to twatter and sort that lot out, that's where your campaign is most urgently required.

You treat Wenger as if he's some sort of deity. As if calling him a cock is a form of blasphemy. Surely it's your reaction that's the huge exaggeration?

selassie
21-03-2016, 12:34 PM

Wenger has absolved himself of all blame, he pretty much said after the game on Saturday that everyone was overreacting regarding our poor form over the past few months.

He's an Idiot TBH, this season has exposed him both as a manager and a person, he really doesn't get it.

Why he feels the need to keep mentioning the fans just sums him up as a person.

alexander
21-03-2016, 12:35 PM
And we dropped 10 yards deeper and abandoned the pressing game, contributing far more to Everton's increased possession than anything they did.

Maybe we had to adopt that approach after working hard in the first half and having only played in Spain on Wednesday night, after a sunday late afternoon game, and players were tired??

In the past when we have won big or crucial games, you have said its because the players have ignored wenger and done their own thing to win the game. Well this was one of those games, so do you give the players credit for ignoring him and winning, or slate them for backing off to win the game? In what scenario does Wenger get any praise for winning a game from you?
Dont get me wrong, I still want a new manager, but when he gets it right he deserves the praise as much as he deserves knocked when we lose or have been on a bad run.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-03-2016, 12:46 PM
I don't hate or dislike Wenger but the last thing he should be doing is creating enmity with the fans and that's exactly what he's doing, blaming us for the horrible shit smelling hole he dug himself in is a monstrous abdication of his responsibility.

Fine no one is expecting you to say "I fucked it up" in a press conference or completely lay into the players publically but why say anything at all, all that needs acknowledging is that the results have not been good and then beseech the fans to stick with the team.

It points to a man who is not under scrutiny enough by his employers and so resents it when it comes from fans and pundits, journalists etc.
We have a 1-0 lead against Spurs in a game we arguably needed to win, and yet you think it's unacceptable for fans to be sore that three days after the most anaemic Arsenal performance of the season against Swansea (and that's saying something) that Coquelins crass stupidity means we are holding on at the end for a draw??.

Niall_Quinn
21-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Maybe we had to adopt that approach after working hard in the first half and having only played in Spain on Wednesday night, after a sunday late afternoon game, and players were tired??

In the past when we have won big or crucial games, you have said its because the players have ignored wenger and done their own thing to win the game. Well this was one of those games, so do you give the players credit for ignoring him and winning, or slate them for backing off to win the game? In what scenario does Wenger get any praise for winning a game from you?
Dont get me wrong, I still want a new manager, but when he gets it right he deserves the praise as much as he deserves knocked when we lose or have been on a bad run.

Well, in the last game. I've said he picked the right team and them deployed them effectively and employed effective tactics. And the football was great to watch. Then he changed the tactics and there was nothing to see. He shut down the game as he has done many times in the past - costing us a title challenge in the process. And my argument after the game, in line with my ongoing argument, is the loss of entertaining football is the worst aspect of these last few years. If we can't realistically compete for the major prizes, if we are going to collapse even in an environment where all our major rivals have fallen away then at least let's have some decent football to watch. Wenger's negativity and his averages approach to football is depressing and frustrating.

It could be he felt the team wouldn't be able to maintain the same levels in the second half against Everton. To accept that you then have to wonder what has happened to our fitness levels over the past few years. We used to be the fittest team in the league. And that's what substitutions are for, bring them in by all means but to keep the effort going not brick up the goal. What are we saving up for? The season is done. There are no more cup games. It's a straight path to the finish now, 8 games. Are we really persisting with this energy preservation lark that absolutely hasn't served us at all to this point? Look at our injury list. Look at the levels of performance over the season. In the main we have been so sedate it's hard to imagine we ever got within a mile of a red zone.

8 games to go. Let's just go for it. Some decent football that's worth watching and as many goals as we can smash into the back of the net. Enough of Wenger's average, statistical driven bullshit that got us what? Nothing. Let's get back to old school. Time for the manager to find his balls and chuck away that laptop.

Marc Overmars
21-03-2016, 01:35 PM
I don't hate or dislike Wenger but the last thing he should be doing is creating enmity with the fans and that's exactly what he's doing, blaming us for the horrible shit smelling hole he dug himself in is a monstrous abdication of his responsibility.

Fine no one is expecting you to say "I fucked it up" in a press conference or completely lay into the players publically but why say anything at all, all that needs acknowledging is that the results have not been good and then beseech the fans to stick with the team.

It points to a man who is not under scrutiny enough by his employers and so resents it when it comes from fans and pundits, journalists etc.
We have a 1-0 lead against Spurs in a game we arguably needed to win, and yet you think it's unacceptable that three days after the most anaemic Arsenal performance of the season against Swansea (and that's saying something) that Coquelins crass stupidity means we are holding on at the end for a draw??.

I think the lack of accountability is the single biggest reason for the malaise that plagues us every season. The people who matter to Wenger don't say anything to him, so he can't possibly be doing anything wrong can he? How dare us mere mortals call him out when we've never managed a game in our lives. He's grown more and more arrogant as time has passed and now he's in uncharted waters by creating this enmity with the fans.

As I said earlier, I've wanted him gone for a while but this will always be the year I fell out of love with him. I used to think the day he left would be tinged with sadness but now I think it's just going to be relief, relief that we can finally look forward to some degree of change.

Özim
21-03-2016, 01:41 PM

He does soooo much wrong these days however, he's doing very little right and that's the problem.

Add to that his patronising holier than thou attitude and you begin to see the problem.

You paint him out to be some good guy, he really isn't, just look at the stuff he says.

Bumble
21-03-2016, 01:50 PM
the perfect answer to ensure our last 16 knock out champions status.

Dicks and chicks
21-03-2016, 01:53 PM
the thing is man united, chelsea and Man City are all in worse postions that us as far as their seasons go.... the league is just getting a lot harder as a whole, alot of the best players in the league no longer play in the big 4, the league will only continue to get tougher

Bumble
21-03-2016, 01:58 PM
the thing is man united, chelsea and Man City are all in worse postions that us as far as their seasons go.... the league is just getting a lot harder as a whole, alot of the best players in the league no longer play in the big 4, the league will only continue to get tougher
I think it will be worse next season as 2 of those clubs definitely will have new managers next season and at least 2 of those wont be playing CL football so could put more focus on the league. With the additional tv money - CL money isn't going to be such an influence as it was so the best players will still go to Chelsea or Manchester clubs as they can still pay the biggest money and still not fall foul of the FFP rules.

This was the season - cant see us getting a better chance any time soon. On the plus side if Leicester do win the league then as a competition the Premier League is the best and perhaps we will see more different teams winning the league instead of the same old ones (not sure which category we will fit in to as its been a while!!!)

the CL doesn't really bother me as most of the games are dull and it is pretty predictable at the moment and biased towards the Spanish clubs.

Power n Glory
21-03-2016, 02:07 PM
http://arseblog.com/2016/03/on-wenger-the-fans-and-the-sceptical-environment/

Morning all, welcome to a new week and welcome to an Interlull. Perhaps a timely one, as we might come back with a couple of extra players if injuries heal the way we might like, and the chance to regroup and take stock of what’s going to be a curious, if probably predictable, final couple of months of the season.

It’s as you were at the top after this weekend. Wins for Leicester and Sp*rs mean we’re 11 and and 6 points behind them respectively, although we do have a game in hand. All we can do is try and win, and hope two teams that between them have lost as many as we have this season suddenly hit a wall of some kind.

Even the most optimistic, glass half full, fan would surely struggle to make a good case for that happening. Of course you never know in football, anything can happen blah blah blah, but it would be in the realms of preposterous if it did.

Focus this morning will be on some comments from Arsene Wenger after the Everton game where he seemed to point the finger at fans for a lack of support in recent weeks. He referred specifically to the 2-2 draw with Sp*rs as a game that should have garnered more praise from fans, saying:

What hurts me is that at the important moment of the season we played in a sceptical environment. I think after the Tottenham game where we played a very good game with 10 men against 11 and came back to 2-2, I couldn’t understand why – at the moment when you need everyone behind the team – we had to hit that storm.

From the media, OK. From our fans? It is a bit more difficult to take.

Before continuing:

I never complain about critics, especially when they are turned against me. But we have to get the fans behind us with our attitude, and make sure that they stand behind the team until the end of the season.

I think there’s something interesting about the way Arsene Wenger has been talking in recent weeks. He’s a man who is long enough in the job to know what way people are going to respond to what he says. Take the quotes last week in which he said:

I built the club, and the way I did it was with hard work. I had no external resources. Compare the club when I arrived and how it is today. It is moved forward, and without any help from anybody.

They provoked some anger from people who took them to mean he was dismissing what came before, as if Arsenal only existed under Arsene Wenger. Yet we know fine well Wenger is aware of the history and traditions of the club, he’s referenced them countless times, and has always said they’re an important part of what makes Arsenal great.

So, was it just a clumsy turn of phrase to talk about his time at the club, in which he has done a lot to move Arsenal into the modern era? Or perhaps a more deliberate choice of words to stick it a little to his detractors. I think probably the former, as he’d credit people with that much nous, but he must also know in this current climate that anything that might raise the hackles is to be best avoided. And there’s no escaping the fact it was a poor choice of words.

Similarly, he must know that fans are hugely disgruntled. It’s apparent at every game, in every section of the media, in every press conference, and the reason for that is our form, and the fact we’re heading into the final stretch of the season looking for miracles to overtake Leicester and Sp*rs, for goodness sake. We’re not behind the big spenders and the established Premier League winners, but two clubs with no pedigree at this end of the table at all.

Fans feel like a massive opportunity to win the league has been wasted, and that’s why there’s so much unrest. Some of it, of course, goes too far. I regularly see comments from people who say they want us to lose. I see comments from people who say that even if we’d won the league this season they’d want Wenger to go. It shows that even a manager doing exactly what they want another manager to do isn’t enough.

There’s a poisonous undercurrent of disenchantment that even genuine success won’t wash away. We have an atmosphere that begets faux celebrities enjoying their 15 minutes of fame with banners taken out after we win games, and fans fighting each other in the stands. It’s amplified and multiplied by the 24/7 debate and analysis, but ultimately what drives it? Performances and results.

If Arsenal were sitting 6 points clear of Sp*rs and 11 clear of Leicester at this point of the season, things wouldn’t be this unpleasant. That is the reality of it. We were top of the table on January 3rd, in a good position to kick on – even after a typically disastrous November, but since then have taken just 13 points from the last 30.

It’s a collapse that has most likely cost us the title (miracle of miracles aside), and that’s what’s created the ‘sceptical environment’, that the manager mentions. Even that Sp*rs game could be looked at as a microcosm of the season. 1-0 up and doing well, we self-destruct with a needless red card and concede twice, but we’re supposed to look at the point gained as something to celebrate?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather have had the point than none, but when we needed this team to really take their chance and go and win, we folded like a house of cards. It was in our hands in January, it was out of them by the end of February, if not sooner. That, and the mind-numbing familiarity of this scenario playing out once more, is what is affecting the fans.

Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt.

Same old story.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

And Arsene Wenger, of all people, knows that. He knows we’ve seen it before, because he’s presided over it before. He also knows how important it is to have fans behind the team. In the wake of other bad results and difficult atmospheres, he’s said more than once that it’s up to the team to perform in a way that lifts the crowd.

In some ways it’s the classic chicken and egg situation. Do fans lift the team or should the team lift the fans? It’s not an easy one, but I think we saw for the Swansea game that people have basically given up on this team. If we had won that game we’d have been much more in the title race, but thousands simply didn’t show up. They reckon they know how this one ends.

But the manager must also know that even mild criticism of fans in a state of high dudgeon isn’t going to be received well. Maybe he feels personally affronted by the criticism, but wouldn’t something like this have been more beneficial?

“Yes, we know results have been poor, but there are still 8 games to go. We’ll keep fighting and doing our best. We need the fans support, and we hope they’ll be behind us for those games.”

Not the most eloquent, I know, but it’s early. When 5 of last 8 games are at home, what on earth is the thinking behind those post-Everton comments? Again, was it a clumsy choice of words, or something more pointed?

Because bar the people who think want Arsenal to lose because it might bring about ‘regime change’, fans want to be behind their team. They want them to win, to perform, and to play well. But they’re also only human and when you see them blow the best chance of winning the league most of us can remember, with the traditional big teams having dreadful campaigns, it’s bound to cause frustration.

It just strikes me that it’s at the very least counter productive to lay blame on the ‘sceptical environment’ without any genuine acknowledgement of the team’s failings – something for which Arsene Wenger is ultimately responsible.

We know he’s not a man who will lambaste his team in public, beyond the perfunctory post-match comments about lacking this or that, and even if some of them take it too far, the same should apply to the supporters.

Falling on his own sword. Not even Arseblog could defend or explain away the comments. It's only a matter of time.

Letters
21-03-2016, 02:09 PM
He does soooo much wrong these days however, he's doing very little right and that's the problem.

Add to that his patronising holier than thou attitude and you begin to see the problem.

You paint him out to be some good guy, he really isn't, just look at the stuff he says.

He does soooo much wrong and yet last year we finished 3rd and won the FA Cup and this year it looks like we'll finish in the top 3 again. I have a theory we'll go on a run now we're out of everything and finish 2nd. And yes, it's not good enough finishing below Leicester, even if that is in 2nd place, but if Wenger was as inept as some on here make out then I doubt we'd be anywhere near the top 4.

I do look at the stuff he says. Well, some of it. And as I'm not blinded by the hatred you have for him, I see that some of it is the sort of soundbite nonsense you get from a lot of managers, some of it IS outright balls but a lot of it is basically right. The way some people go on it's like EVERYTHING he says or does is wrong. That obviously isn't true.

Letters
21-03-2016, 02:11 PM

It would be kinda ironical if the one season we finally finish above all our traditional rivals and the billionaire cheats we go and lose the league to Leicester or, worse, Spurs.

:lol:

:ilt:

Munchies
21-03-2016, 02:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeE-1QBWEAAKrA3.jpg

we should sign Aguero

Kano
27-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Mesut Özil refuses to give up on Arsenal’s Premier League title bid

Mesut Özil believes Arsenal can still win thePremier League but admits they have not been fully focused at times this season.

With just eight fixtures remaining, Arsène Wenger’s side are 11 points adrift of leaders Leicester, albeit with a game in hand. It is a fall from grace for an Arsenal team who were top of the table at the turn of the year, with just one win in their last four league outings leaving them third and behind both Leicester and local rivals Tottenham.

After their elimination from both the FA Cup and Champions League, Arsenal’s season is in danger of petering out. Özil, who played in Germany’s 3-2 defeat to England on Saturday night, has laid on an impressive 19 assists so far this season. While he concedes Leicester deserve to be top of the table, he feels Arsenal can still turn it around if they can put a winning run together.

“I do not think it impossible,” he told the German newspaper Welt am Sonntag when asked about hunting down Leicester and winning the league.

“Although there are only a few games left, Leicester have a run against some of the big teams to come. We ourselves must in any case not allow any more slip-ups. The hope of the title is still there – we have the players for the title.”

A 2-0 win at Everton before the international break kept Arsenal’s slim title hopes alive as they look for their first championship in 12 years. They face Watford, the side who knocked them out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage, next weekend and Özil knows focus is key.

“They deserve to be up there – Leicester fight for every point,” he said. “We see in every game that players of Leicester want to achieve something. We ourselves have not been focused in every game, and that is not possible in the Premier League since there is no opponent you can beat easily.

“Leicester have been great, but there are still a few games. I think we still have a chance to catch up Leicester. We must, of course, hope for mistakes.”

Even if they can turn it around, Özil expects Arsenal need to bring in new players in the summer to maintain their place at the top – especially with Pep Guardiola moving from Bayern Munich to take charge at Manchester City.

“We know that it will not be easy and that we need reinforcements if we want next season to be on top here again,” he added.

“It is again interesting to see who invests in who and how much the clubs do during the summer break. In addition, great coaches are coming into the league. I am thinking primarily of Pep Guardiola. Wherever he has been, he had success. He is a coach, keen on playing and his teams are feared.

“I wonder what he will do with Man City. He will be imprinting his football in England and people will be surprised.”
Definitely losing the next game now.