PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Villa (home) and St Totteringham's Day.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2016, 03:52 PM
:haha:

Amazing.

Marc Overmars
15-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Happy St Totteringham's Day guys. :haha:

Niall_Quinn
15-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Seems like it's happened again.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-05-2016, 03:57 PM
Weird isn't it, I'm getting altitude sickness

I don't think by any stretch we've been the second best team in the league but the table don't lie.

Still though....you have to laugh :lol::lol::lol:

Marc Overmars
15-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Runners up. :bow:

Progress. :bow:

Giroud proving we don't need a striker. :bow:

Wenger. :bow:

Özim
15-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Great end to the season win easily, Giroud scores a hattrick, we leapfrog Spurs.

Bes thing of all we don't need a new striker and Wenger was right all along, he's made fools of us all :good:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Golden Gloves for Cech I think (though it could end up being shared with De Gea).

Niall_Quinn
15-05-2016, 04:00 PM
In a way though, what an incredible escape for the manager and the players. Now they won't be booed off the pitch.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-05-2016, 04:00 PM
13/14 - 79 points - 4th
14/15 - 75 points - 3rd
15/16 - 71 points - 2nd

Marc Overmars
15-05-2016, 04:01 PM
In a way though, what an incredible escape for the manager and the players. Now they won't be booed off the pitch.

WUMger is such a tease.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-05-2016, 04:02 PM
In a way though, what an incredible escape for the manager and the players. Now they won't be burnt in a wicker man erected in the centre circle.

That's a shame, that would have been quite a spectacle

Kano
15-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Great end to the season win easily, Giroud scores a hattrick, we leapfrog Spurs.

Bes thing of all we don't need a new striker and Wenger was right all along, he's made fools of us all :good:

That's the spirit

I am invisible
15-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Happy St Totteringham's Day guys. :haha:

God bless us, everyone!

Gooner23
15-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Giving Arteta his swansong (although the right thing to do) also takes the pressure of them a bit as well.

As much as today has been funny, make that hilarious, it really shouldn't detract from the fact this season has been another massive failure.

I really don't know how I feel about next season. Wenger will be there still, completely untouched from the criticism he has faced, therefore we wont have bay chance of winning the league. No point in getting angry at the inevitable, so I suppose may as well just enjoy the odd good result / performance that his tactics throw up.

Xhaka Can’t
15-05-2016, 04:08 PM
13/14 - 79 points - 4th
14/15 - 75 points - 3rd
15/16 - 71 points - 2nd

16/17 - 67 points - 1st :pray:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2016, 04:08 PM
13/14 - 79 points - 4th
14/15 - 75 points - 3rd
15/16 - 71 points - 2nd

Wenger - improving by regressing. :bow:

I am invisible
15-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Giving Arteta his swansong (although the right thing to do) also takes the pressure of them a bit as well.

As much as today has been funny, make that hilarious, it really shouldn't detract from the fact this season has been another massive failure.

I really don't know how I feel about next season. Wenger will be there still, completely untouched from the criticism he has faced, therefore we wont have bay chance of winning the league. No point in getting angry at the inevitable, so I suppose may as well just enjoy the odd good result / performance that his tactics throw up.

BOOOOO!!! Wenger In forever!

fakeyank
15-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Is there a trophy for 2nd place? Or have we just lost out on the 4th place trophy?! :(

Master Splinter
15-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Arsenal :bow:.

Bif :bow:.

Arteta :bow:.

Wenger :bow:.

What a hilarious end to the season. At least WUMger's final WUM went off target and destroyed Spurs instead.

Does Cech win the Golden Glove thing too?

Our aggregate against Villa in the last five games is 18-0. Shame they and Newcastle are going down.

Kano
15-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Sign him up Kroenke!

Kano
15-05-2016, 04:16 PM
http://arsenalist.com/f/2015-16/arsenal-vs-aston-villa/arteta-in-tears.html

Take care Mikel.

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Wenger has finally broken the 3rd/4th cycle.

Spuds. :bow:

It wouldn't have happened without you.

Marc Overmars
15-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Never particularly rated Arteta during his time with us but he's a nice guy.

Good luck Mikel. :wave:

McNamara That Ghost...
15-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Yup, best of luck at the French Open.

I am invisible
15-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Wenger has finally broken the 3rd/4th cycle.

Spuds. :bow:

It wouldn't have happened without you.

I'm seeing a foolproof plan here for guaranteeing us the title - all we need is for spurs to finish 2nd...

Kano
15-05-2016, 04:22 PM
Yup, best of luck at the French Open.

:lol:

GP
15-05-2016, 04:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tYPOxXa.jpg

:lol:

Özim
16-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Venga will see this as a good season, doesn't bode well for the summer or next season.

Xhaka Can’t
16-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Our summers are always crap. I don't trust Wenger in the transfer market, but I do trust him to cast a shadow for Spurs to creep into.

AFC Leveller
16-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Venga will see this as a good season, doesn't bode well for the summer or next season.

after finishing 2nd yesterday, he said:

"It's a reward for our spirit, mentality and quality."

expect next season to be shit then.

AFC Leveller
16-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Arsene Wenger says Arsenal finishing as runners-up in the Barclays Premier League is a reward for his players' spirit and quality over the final stages of the season.
A dramatic final-day turnaround saw Arsenal finish second, their best placing since 2004/05, after Tottenham Hotspur's 5-1 defeat at relegated Newcastle United allowed them to profit with their 4-0 win over an Aston Villa side who are also dropping to the Championship.
Olivier Giroud's hat-trick and an own goal from Villa goalkeeper Mark Bunn gave Wenger's men victory and ensured Spurs did not finish above for the first time since the 1994/95 season.
"It was difficult to predict that, especially a few weeks ago, but we kept our togetherness and spirit," Wenger said.
"I think it is now nine games without losing and overall I think it is a reward for our spirit, mentality and also our quality.
"Overall we finished second in the league and we have to congratulate Leicester as well. They have done exceptionally. They have only lost three games and two of those were against us.
"Even Barcelona and Real Madrid lost more games than Leicester. It is difficult to explain that in Europe, but it is a fact."

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-05-2016, 02:41 PM
This was a league where in the end only two sides won more than half their games, that's apalling. It's a inditement of the entire league, and all we are doing is managing expectation by saying anything other than finishing ten points behind Leicester is an embarassment, as amazing as they are finished on a gettable total.

In 2007/2008 we lost the same amount of games as Leicester and got two more points and finished third

With the exception of two or three games, 2016 has been abject in terms of results and performances. This isn't a side with great quality and spirit, this is a side playing every game like it's going through the motions.....no pace, no agression.

We are the Eunuch of English football, our balls have long ago been removed

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2016, 04:25 PM
If only Wenger would seek advice. Anyone could tell him that keeping his mouth shut right now is the clever play. Don't distract from the gift the spuds have just handed him and certainly don't try to take credit for an outcome he had nothing to do with and in fact worked tirelessly to derail. Like a good sized log of shit we floated while others got flushed. That's his achievement this season. Here's the manager of the Invincibles trying to pretend a club that only loses 3 games is some sort of fluke. I know he has to say something at the end of a season but boasting about an unbeaten run following his party piece collapse really does stick in the throat. That spirit and togetherness, where was it when the really important phase of the season was unwinding? He badly needs advice, in so many areas. Every time he opens his mouth he makes a huge fool of himself and, by extension, tarnishes the reputation of the club. Nobody is fooled by his bullshit. Not any more.

Globalgunner
16-05-2016, 05:24 PM
If only Wenger would seek advice. Anyone could tell him that keeping his mouth shut right now is the clever play. Don't distract from the gift the spuds have just handed him and certainly don't try to take credit for an outcome he had nothing to do with and in fact worked tirelessly to derail. Like a good sized log of shit we floated while others got flushed. That's his achievement this season. Here's the manager of the Invincibles trying to pretend a club that only loses 3 games is some sort of fluke. I know he has to say something at the end of a season but boasting about an unbeaten run following his party piece collapse really does stick in the throat. That spirit and togetherness, where was it when the really important phase of the season was unwinding? He badly needs advice, in so many areas. Every time he opens his mouth he makes a huge fool of himself and, by extension, tarnishes the reputation of the club. Nobody is fooled by his bullshit. Not any more.

God does not take advice. Believe in our spiwit and togetherness, not to mention our determination and quality. We are now 0.5% from domination

Kano
16-05-2016, 05:29 PM
This was a league where in the end only two sides won more than half their games, that's apalling. It's a inditement of the entire league, and all we are doing is managing expectation by saying anything other than finishing ten points behind Leicester is an embarassment, as amazing as they are finished on a gettable total.

In 2007/2008 we lost the same amount of games as Leicester and got two more points and finished third

With the exception of two or three games, 2016 has been abject in terms of results and performances. This isn't a side with great quality and spirit, this is a side playing every game like it's going through the motions.....no pace, no agression.

We are the Eunuch of English football, our balls have long ago been removed
And yet we finished second. What does that say about TBLiTW? The level of play in the league sunk to an all time new low this year. Kick n Rush Sunday football served up every weekend.

fakeyank
16-05-2016, 05:29 PM

:gp:

Unfortunately the people who matter in the club will do fuck all. The next one year is going to be a drag. And if he signs a contract extension, then it'll be a drag till he dies.

Özim
16-05-2016, 07:30 PM
The guy is real bore :sleep:

"It was difficult to predict that, especially a few weeks ago, but we kept our togetherness and spirit," Wenger said.

He desperately needs to get some new material, the guy is in danger of putting everyone to sleep with his snoozefest interviews

"I think it is now nine games without losing and overall I think it is a reward for our spirit, mentality and also our quality.

Ah yes, the mini unbeaten run, the one he harps on about almost every season, he remembers stuff like this very well but always seems to conveniently forget the disastrous runs and results and of course the customary collapse.

"Overall we finished second in the league and we have to congratulate Leicester as well. They have done exceptionally. They have only lost three games and two of those were against us.

My god he sounds so smug, it's sickening.

Yeah he's not going to change much by the looks of it, Mr arrogant thinks we're the muts nuts and we're 2% away from domination again.

Giroud scoring a few goals after that ridiculous run without a goal doesn't bode well either, 2 games is enough to convince Wenger he's top class, his memory only seems to stretch back a few games most of the time.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-05-2016, 07:37 PM
And yet we finished second. What does that say about TBLiTW? The level of play in the league sunk to an all time new low this year. Kick n Rush Sunday football served up every weekend.

That was precisely my point, that we finished second doesn't exonerate us, it condemns the league as a whole

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-05-2016, 07:39 PM
The guy is real bore :sleep:

He desperately needs to get some new material, the guy is in danger of putting everyone to sleep with his snoozefest interviews

Ah yes, the mini unbeaten run, the one he harps on about almost every season, he remembers stuff like this very well but always seems to conveniently forget the disastrous runs and results and of course the customary collapse.

My god he sounds so smug, it's sickening.

Yeah he's not going to change much by the looks of it, Mr arrogant thinks we're the muts nuts and we're 2% away from domination again.

Giroud scoring a few goals after that ridiculous run without a goal doesn't bode well either, 2 games is enough to convince Wenger he's top class, his memory only seems to stretch back a few games most of the time.

In all honesty 95% of all managerial press conferences are full of prosaic and scripted crap, it's the 5% when managers say something funny or go off the reservation that are memorable.

Özim
16-05-2016, 07:44 PM
In all honesty 95% of all managerial press conferences are full of prosaic and scripted crap, it's the 5% when managers say something funny or go off the reservation that are memorable.

Maybe that's true, but he's particularly bad he's been saying the same stuff for over 10 years, if you found an interview from 2007 you'd probably be able to apply it to this season.

You can just smell the satisfaction in his interview though, in his eyes our season has been a good one, that's why things will never change he blanks out all the bad and the overemphasises the good and this means he never really feels a compulsion to make the necessary changes, if anything he signs a player because he likes him rather because he's what's needed.

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2016, 10:38 PM
Maybe that's true, but he's particularly bad he's been saying the same stuff for over 10 years, if you found an interview from 2007 you'd probably be able to apply it to this season.

You can just smell the satisfaction in his interview though, in his eyes our season has been a good one, that's why things will never change he blanks out all the bad and the overemphasises the good and this means he never really feels a compulsion to make the necessary changes, if anything he signs a player because he likes him rather because he's what's needed.

In terms of the ambition of the club it has been an excellent season. Qualification for the CL, extra prize money for a 2nd place finish, topped the league in TV revenues, no money spent in the summer, Wenger found that fiver down the back of the sofa. Superb.

AFC Leveller
17-05-2016, 07:52 AM
What is worrying though is that Wenger seems genuinely pleased and sounds like he thinks its been a successful season. I would not be surprised if we signed no strikers this summer.

AFC Leveller
17-05-2016, 10:19 AM
This is the gayest stat out there:

Arsenal would have won the Premier League this season if shots against the post or bar had gone in.

If wenger sees this, we're doomed.

The Emirates Gallactico
17-05-2016, 10:29 AM

Arsenal would have won the Premier League this season if shots against the post or bar had gone in.

Confirms what we all know tbh. If we had a top striker up front instead of that French donkey we would have won the league this season.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Totally meaningless stat, one what was our record of hitting the bar or post compared to that of other sides. And most shots that hit the bar or post do so on their way out not on their way in.

Kano
17-05-2016, 10:44 AM

I think Liverpool had a similar stat back when they finished second with Suarez and Sturridge, scored 101 goals and still finished second :lol:

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2016, 11:57 AM

It's the atmosphere caused by the fans. Makes the usually unerring shooting of Giroud and Theo drift off target.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-05-2016, 03:20 PM
It's the atmosphere caused by the fans. Makes the usually unerring shooting of Giroud and Theo drift off target.

It also makes them jump out of the way of tackles, opt not to take the responsibility to shoot and trundle back towards goal when the opposition has the ball

Toronto Gooner
17-05-2016, 05:21 PM
What is worrying though is that Wenger seems genuinely pleased and sounds like he thinks its been a successful season...

I wonder if it is more relief than pleasure. Imagine the outpouring scorn and "hate" that would have been directed towards him and the players if they had failed to come above Spurs as well not winning the title.

Niall_Quinn
17-05-2016, 05:30 PM
I wonder if it is more relief than pleasure. Imagine the outpouring scorn and "hate" that would have been directed towards him and the players if they had failed to come above Spurs as well not winning the title.

Fat Rafa hauled Wenger's arse out of the fire, that's for sure. But the relief of not being the spuds won't last for long. Soon enough everyone's attention will turn back to being Arsenal.

Toronto Gooner
17-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Fat Rafa hauled Wenger's arse out of the fire, that's for sure. But the relief of not being the spuds won't last for long. Soon enough everyone's attention will turn back to being Arsenal.

I completely agree. I suspect that the relief will last until the first defeat next season or draw against a crappy team, irrespective of who is bought (or not) over the summer.