PDA

View Full Version : Favourite final day St Totteringham's Day?

WMUG
16-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Which is yours?

To be honest, I'm having quite a hard time deciding between Lasagnagate, 1-1 at Newcastle and yesterday.

I'm gonna plump for today because they had SO many opportunities to get beyond our reach and because of how hilariously Spursy the whole thing was.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
16-05-2016, 03:58 PM
This question was asked on Arseblog

No question for me it was the 05/06 season which just made the last game at Highbury that much sweeter

Pretty terrible league season with very little of merit in truth....much like this one.

Penguin
16-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I was going to say Lasagnagate, but that wasn't all that enjoyable at the time. I was relieved at scraping fourth but I don't get any joy at relying on a dodgy chef to save the day for us. It didn't feel like a victory to Arsenal. And my spud mates didn't waste a day reminding me that summer. <_<

Yesterday's one we can point and laugh at them for bottling it with no excuses so that definitely tops it off for me. Spuds :haha: :pal:

LDG
16-05-2016, 04:28 PM
The 1-1 at Newcastle celebrations in the Spurs crowd were absolutely hilarious. That fat ugly cow jumping around, and then.....realisation. Brilliant.

Yesterday was just funny because they bottled it big time.

It's a close run between those two.

fakeyank
16-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Lasgnagate by a good mile for me. I remember being on 606 that time and the Sp*d cunts couldnt stop wetting themselves about finishing over us in our last season at Highbury. The amount of conspiracy theories that came out, and the trolling by Arsenal fans were legendary. Frankly, I wouldnt be surprised that the trolling that day and in the following weeks resulted in 606 shutting down.

606 :rose:

Niall_Quinn
16-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Getting hammered 5-1 by a relegated team that was down to 10 men. That takes some doing and will take some beating. They'd built up all the hopes and expectations, they were in the gloating phase, they were virtually over the line weeks ago with just one more effort. Finally they were going to finish ahead of the worst Arsenal team in decades. But no. Despite all the hype from the pundits, despite having announced their arrival as a new force in football, the old spuds came through in the end and smashed all those hopes to smithereens in spectacular and humiliating fashion. While we were winning 4-0. And not even winning 4-0 at a canter, we stretched it out. As the minutes passed every spud must have finally believed. And it was that belief compared to the final outcome that makes yesterday's St Totteringham's Day the best ever for me.

Nayan
21-05-2016, 05:04 PM
lasagne gare but only because I was getting married at the time.

Letters
26-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Getting hammered 5-1 by a relegated team that was down to 10 men. That takes some doing and will take some beating. They'd built up all the hopes and expectations, they were in the gloating phase, they were virtually over the line weeks ago with just one more effort. Finally they were going to finish ahead of the worst Arsenal team in decades. But no. Despite all the hype from the pundits, despite having announced their arrival as a new force in football, the old spuds came through in the end and smashed all those hopes to smithereens in spectacular and humiliating fashion. While we were winning 4-0. And not even winning 4-0 at a canter, we stretched it out. As the minutes passed every spud must have finally believed. And it was that belief compared to the final outcome that makes yesterday's St Totteringham's Day the best ever for me.

Yeah. This year was the best one, for me.
It finally happened this year, they were finally quite clearly the better side.
After 20 years the issue wasn't would they finish above us, that was surely a fait accompli, the issue was could they actually go and win the league. Only Leicester stood in their way.
They fell at the final hurdle while Leicester held their nerve. No great disgrace in that, they weren't expected to be title contenders anyway.
But they'd surely still be runners up - more than they could have expected at the start of the season - and could still claim to be the kings of London, not bad when you've got Chelsea and Arsenal to compete with.
2 games to go and despite the 2 draws they were still 3 points above us and with a vastly superior goal difference. One win would do it, realistically with Arsenal having to play City away and thus likely to drop a couple of points at least a point would probably be OK.
They lost to Southampton who are a decent side but one you'd expect them to beat but that's OK, Arsenal did drop points at City so a point on the last day and whatever Arsenal do they finish above us.
And on the last day, who are Spurs playing? Newcastle. Relegated Newcastle. Even when they were 2-0 down they were thrown a lifeline, getting back to 2-1 and then Newcastle going down to 10 men. All they had to do is get an equaliser and, as unconvincing as their end to the season was, it would still give them bragging rights over us for the first time in 21 years. Instead they collapsed to an embarrassing 5-1 hammering, they just lay down and let us overtake them AGAIN! :haha:

Definitely the best one, for me. Coming 3rd in a 2 horse race :lol: Textbook Spurs.

dostoy
26-05-2016, 06:19 PM
They have all been very sweet.

This seasons was unbelievable and no-one could have predicted exactly what happened, although we are both in the CL so second or third did not make much difference really, apart from the obvious desire from both teams to finish above the other.

The 2006 was the best because we nicked 4th place from them on the last day, it was also the last day of Highbury.

I remember on that day only I was just as big a West Ham fan as I was an Arsenal fan for obvious reasons.