PDA

View Full Version : Granit Xhaka (official)

Pages : [1] 2

Marc Overmars
20-05-2016, 10:14 AM
I think this one has moved into it's on! territory now. :bow:

Kano
20-05-2016, 10:22 AM
I'll start the scapegoat thread shortly, just so we have everything covered.

GP
20-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Wenger OUT!!

I am invisible
20-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Should have signed [insert player name] instead! Everything is shit!

Niall_Quinn
20-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Don't we usually lose the player as soon as these threads are started? Do we not want him?

AFC Leveller
20-05-2016, 10:52 AM
I will believe it when:

David Ornstein speaks
Wenger says he has never heard of him
The player gets injured

Until then..

The Emirates Gallactico
20-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Not bad and the right sort of player though his disciplinary history is concerning.

My guess for the first choice midfield:

Ozil

Santi
Xhahxa

with Ramsey, Coquelin, Elneny and Jack interchanging into it when necessary. Perhaps Toral as well if Wenger rates him.

Now go and sign a fucking striker!!

Munchies
20-05-2016, 01:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci5wvy3WgAAQnkA.jpg

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
20-05-2016, 01:40 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci5wvy3WgAAQnkA.jpg

he'd have been 10 when we won that title

Kano
20-05-2016, 02:02 PM
He looks like Ronaldo's retarted brother in the pic.

dostoy
20-05-2016, 02:06 PM
We need a striker and and defender so what does Wenger do, he signs a midfielder.

I don't understand why we need him.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-05-2016, 02:25 PM
He looks like Ronaldo's retarted brother in the pic.

Retarted? That actually works.

Kano
20-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Retarted? That actually works.

Knew what I was doing all along tbh.

Kano
20-05-2016, 02:35 PM
We need a striker and and defender so what does Wenger do, he signs a midfielder.

I don't understand why we need him.

We need both ideally, as Coq is a good squad player, filler but not a regular starter. Elmo is the same.

Gooner23
20-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Can't complain if he is an upgrade on what we already have. But we do also need a 1st choice CB to play alongside Kos, a top striker and probably an upgrade on the options we have at right wing. Plus a couple of squad fillers if we lose the likes of Gibbs, Debuchy, Ospina etc. I really can't see Wenger doing all that though. No doubt we will be left '1 or 2' short as always!

mastermind84
20-05-2016, 02:56 PM
Not bad and the right sort of player though his disciplinary history is concerning.

My guess for the first choice midfield:

Ozil

Santi
Xhahxa

with Ramsey, Coquelin, Elneny and Jack interchanging into it when necessary. Perhaps Toral as well if Wenger rates him. I think Özil should play on the right.

Now go and sign a fucking striker!!

Have Jack (Santi when Jack is injured), Ramsey, and Xhaka at the base.

Or a diamond with those 3 and Ozil up top.

3 central midfielders are needed at all times

Munchies
20-05-2016, 03:46 PM
@bbcsport_david
Arsenal close to signing Gladbach mdf Granit Xhaka. Agreement reached on £30m deal, in London to finalise terms, medical this weekend #AFC

It's done! :bow:

Niall_Quinn
20-05-2016, 04:10 PM
What time is the press conference?

fakeyank
20-05-2016, 04:13 PM
7pm bruh

Marc Overmars
20-05-2016, 04:14 PM
£30m eh. He better be the new Vieira.

fakeyank
20-05-2016, 04:16 PM
We need both ideally, as Coq is a good squad player, filler but not a regular starter. Elmo is the same.

How did Coquelin go from being one of the best defensive midfielders since last January to a squad signing? Wtf are we looking for in that position? Patrick Vieira? To me, Coquelin is as good a DM as there is in the PL. His interception, tackling and work ethic are some of the best in the PL.. how on earth did he become a squad player for an average team like us?! Top 5 players at Arsenal tbh..

LDG
20-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Sell him he's shit etc

Kano
20-05-2016, 04:31 PM
How did Coquelin go from being one of the best defensive midfielders since last January to a squad signing? Wtf are we looking for in that position? Patrick Vieira? To me, Coquelin is as good a DM as there is in the PL. His interception, tackling and work ethic are some of the best in the PL.. how on earth did he become a squad player for an average team like us?! Top 5 players at Arsenal tbh..

He never was. We simply got excited because we had a player that worked hard, didn't leave gaping holes in midfield and liked to tackle. In the modern incarnation of Wenger's team it seem revolutionary. But in reality he isn't the answer to our central midfield when it comes to starting every week. A good player, definitely want to keep him as a useful squad member but not beyond that.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2016, 04:38 PM
He never was. We simply got excited because we had a player that worked hard, didn't leave gaping holes in midfield and liked to tackle. In the modern incarnation of Wenger's team it seem revolutionary. But in reality he isn't the answer to our central midfield when it comes to starting every week. A good player, definitely want to keep him as a useful squad member but not beyond that.

I agree. He's disciplined, which at the time when he came back from loan was exactly what we needed. Now though with Elmo providing a similar service, plus some great distribution on top, I think Coq's role will be limited to that of a bit part player. Especially with Xhaka in the mix now as well.

More than happy for Coq to remain in the squad though, sometimes when things are desperate players like him will save your bacon. Always room for a water carrier tbh.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-05-2016, 05:33 PM
I'll be quite happy to see whoever does their role most consistently and with the least fuss play alongside Cazorla in midfield, be that Elneny, Xhaka, Coquelin or Ramsey (however unlikely). Do the simple things well, know your role and don't make mistakes.

I do think that with his ball retention, creativity and mobility, Santi is still a mainstay.

Though I appreciate it might be slightly erring towards the attacking side I think it would be worthwhile if our forward was lethal....

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Forgot Wilshere too!

Munchies
20-05-2016, 06:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVbsL0ZufGs

AFC Leveller
20-05-2016, 06:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVbsL0ZufGs

His range of passing looks really good, very disciplined as well. If you look closely tho, he has runners all around him and we have to make sure we do that. We can't have static players and render his qualities useless. Wenger cannot force him to pass it sideways to, let the guy do what he knows.

I have always loved a left footed DCM, they look so classy and give the midfield a nice balance.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
20-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Not being funny but he looks under virtually no pressure in most of the clips......I do find it interesting that because of the price tag, we are kind of taking it as read that he is any good and many seem to have formed a strong opinion already when he has something of a modest reputation.

Marc Overmars
20-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Not being funny but he looks under virtually no pressure in most of the clips......I do find it interesting that because of the price tag, we are kind of taking it as read that he is any good and many seem to have formed a strong opinion already when he has something of a modest reputation.

To be honest I don't know much about him (I don't think many of us do) but if Wenger of all managers is prepared to spend £30m on a player, you have to assume he's got something about him. I don't see him parting with this kind of cash on any old flavour of the month player.

I read some comparisons with Schweinsteiger and Alonso which is encouraging at least, god knows we've needed a proper CM for years.

Munchies
20-05-2016, 08:03 PM
To be honest I don't know much about him (I don't think many of us do) but if Wenger of all managers is prepared to spend £30m on a player, you have to assume he's got something about him. I don't see him parting with this kind of cash on any old flavour of the month player.

I read some comparisons with Schweinsteiger and Alonso which is encouraging at least, god knows we've needed a proper CM for years.

:gp:

I hadn't heard of him 6 months ago, so let's hope he settles well and can show us what he has in his locker.

He seems to get booked alot, but from what I've read, he is a 'natural leader' on the pitch and stands up for himself and the team.

I am invisible
20-05-2016, 08:08 PM
:good:

I think part of the problem is that Coquelin and Cazorla work best as a package, and fill in the blanks in each other's games really well - the two of them together is a beautiful thing, but lose one and you kind of lose the whole attacking or defensive side of the heart of the team. Given the frequency and severity of the injuries we pick up, that's a worry.

With players like Xhaka, Elneny, and dare I say Wilshere, if he's ever fit (and played in the right place), I think we're looking at more independent, rounded players - none of them may be quite the passer that Cazorla is, or quite as efficient a tackler and interceptor as Coq is, but they're all competent or better in both areas, and I think each of them would probably cope with the loss of any given partner a little easier?

I am invisible
20-05-2016, 08:15 PM
:gp:

I hadn't heard of him 6 months ago, so let's hope he settles well and can show us what he has in his locker.

He seems to get booked alot, but from what I've read, he is a 'natural leader' on the pitch and stands up for himself and the team.
Maybe he's just an English player (so to speak) playing in a foreign league, and the sort of things he gets booked for out there may be no big deal in the Prem?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 12:53 AM

That is a reasonable assumption yes......though haven't many lost faith in his judgement? I don't expect him to be a dud.....but I am surprised so many expect him to easily be the first name on the team sheet. Probably just relieved we are spending money.

I actually think we have a midfield good enough to win a league but not a front line....and that has been the case far too long now.

Maestro
21-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Car Jacker in London and completing personal terms and a medical this weekend

Marc Overmars
21-05-2016, 07:29 AM
That is a reasonable assumption yes......though haven't many lost faith in his judgement? I don't expect him to be a dud.....but I am surprised so many expect him to easily be the first name on the team sheet. Probably just relieved we are spending money.

I actually think we have a midfield good enough to win a league but not a front line....and that has been the case far too long now.

I think we've lacked a good all round CM for years, how many times do we just seem to empty the midfield and get overrun?

I still agree with the attack though, without an effective front line we're never going to be competitive in the league or CL.

Gooner23
21-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Add to that list a better manager as well. Regardless who we sign in the summer I have little faith in us properly challenging next season with Wenger still at the helm.

AFC Leveller
21-05-2016, 08:46 AM
In a way us signing Xhaka is like somebody having a faulty engine but instead of buying a new one, he decides to replace his rims....

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2016, 09:28 AM
I think we've lacked a good all round CM for years, how many times do we just seem to empty the midfield and get overrun?

I still agree with the attack though, without an effective front line we're never going to be competitive in the league or CL.

So many reasons why this signing won't make a blind bit of difference come next May. We all know what they are and we all know where they originate. Unless we're going to change almost everything about our game then we're going nowhere. Even the staunchest optimist must have twigged by this iteration in the loop. At least in Groundhog Day Murray learns as he goes, he doesn't just do the same thing over and over.

selassie
21-05-2016, 10:21 AM
This boy is coming with a big rep, Pep tried to sign him for Bayern last summer and Gladbach rejected the 35mill offer. From the little I've seen of him he looks a very good player, highly technical, strong in the tackle, very good passer (long & short). He has the potential to be world class if he keeps on developing. Good signing, surprised we've got him. :)

Still think we need to upgrade Centre Forward & Centre Back.

P.S I Agree with NQ, this signing will be pointless if we don't adapt our approach and implement a system that benefits the starting players.

Niall_Quinn
21-05-2016, 11:01 AM
We need one top quality striker and then we could play three strikers from Welbeck, Alexis, Walcott, ANOther. No place for Giroud, he's immobile, slow, not suited to the game we should be playing even those he's suited to the shit we play at the moment.

Any from Ozil/ Cazorla/ Ramsey in behind.

Any two from Xhaka, Wilshere, Coquelin, Elneny, Ox with the fullback making the 5 when we have the ball and the forwards making the 5 when we don't.

Ideally Kos and a WorldClassCB with Gabriel and Merts in reserve.

They'll all get plenty of game time because they'll all be injured at some point, a couple for most of the season.

The whole point of the play should be to get the ball forward. Constant pressure on the opposition for 90 minutes. If they aren't fit enough to do that now, or have become lazy, then that needs to be dealt with.

Anyone who passes sideways should be killed.

Anyone who is static should be electrocuted. Give them a bit of energy.

Shape. When we are going forward we do it as a unit. When we are defending we do it as a unit.

We have the players to give anyone a decent game.

We don't have a coach or a manager and that's a mountain of a problem. It's difficult to blame the players when they are sent out with no tactics, no shape, no plan and they are not expected to have any discipline. I can't see how this major impediment to everything else we are supposedly trying to do can be overcome. We all know this Xhaka kid will be passing sideways and backing off his man by October, that's how long it will take Wenger to fuck up all the good work done by previous coaches and managers.

We could have some hope if only Wenger would give the slightest hint he's prepared to learn from the thousand kicks to the bollocks he's received in return for his stupidity and conservative cowardice.

We should go into the next season expecting to win the title and the CL. Expecting it! If we don't do both then it's a failure for a club of this stature. 12 years of failure, not one more minute of failure is acceptable. I mean how can you even begin to approach the mindset required to win these big prizes if you already know 4th is good enough? If the so-called manager won't do the honourable thing and go then the horrible fucking mentality he's let grow in this club needs to go.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 11:29 AM

We have but I believe that is my a symptom of the coaching and system employed. We also had one season when Ramsey was the best all round midfieder in the league but he has obviously struggled for consistency since then....but I can't help but think that is down to instruction and that Ramsey simply needs a less liberal manager to guide him. I'm concerned Xhaka will simply come into a confused system and then be subjected to the same criticism as everybody else.

You might sneak a league with an average midfield (or at least not world class) but you never will with an average forward line.

As we know....the team that scores the most usually finishes Champions but this year is unusual in that the team to score the most are in 4th place.

This boy is coming with a big rep, Pep tried to sign him for Bayern last summer and Gladbach rejected the 35mill offer. From the little I've seen of him he looks a very good player, highly technical, strong in the tackle, very good passer (long & short). He has the potential to be world class if he keeps on developing. Good signing, surprised we've got him. :)

Still think we need to upgrade Centre Forward & Centre Back.

P.S I Agree with NQ, this signing will be pointless if we don't adapt our approach and implement a system that benefits the starting players.

So rather than sign for Bayern he's signing for us and rather than get 35 million for him his club will get 30? Well at least we're happy hey!

GP
21-05-2016, 11:32 AM
https://twitter.com/CheValon1/status/733978250360291329

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Well I'll be damned....back of the net, early doors!

Munchies
21-05-2016, 11:44 AM
https://twitter.com/CheValon1/status/733978250360291329

:bow:

Our new home kit :bow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci-kbgHVAAEvmE3.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci-kNXtUkAAnDpl.jpg

I am invisible
21-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Nah, I'll only believe it after he's played his 100th game for us...

Marc Overmars
21-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Welcome. :bow:

I'm liking the new kit.

Globalgunner
21-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Welcome. :bow:

I'm liking the new kit.

I dont think her name is Kit. But I agree she is Welcome.

Thierrymon
21-05-2016, 12:11 PM
:cheer:

Power n Glory
21-05-2016, 12:15 PM
We have but I believe that is my a symptom of the coaching and system employed. We also had one season when Ramsey was the best all round midfieder in the league but he has obviously struggled for consistency since then....but I can't help but think that is down to instruction and that Ramsey simply needs a less liberal manager to guide him. I'm concerned Xhaka will simply come into a confused system and then be subjected to the same criticism as everybody else.

You might sneak a league with an average midfield (or at least not world class) but you never will with an average forward line.

As we know....the team that scores the most usually finishes Champions but this year is unusual in that the team to score the most are in 4th place.

So rather than sign for Bayern he's signing for us and rather than get 35 million for him his club will get 30? Well at least we're happy hey!

Agreed. Unless we change our forward line, this n't make a huge impact on our play. Unless we're playing Ramsey in the midfield, we don't usually have a problem with moving the ball forward and retaining possession high in our opponents half. If Wenger continues to play Giroud as a target man with our players trying to ping pong the ball off him like a brick wall, we're only going to get more of the same. The fluidity in our play is fine further back. But Giroud acts like a dam when he plays up front and it just stops the flow of our play as if we have nowhere else to go. There is hardly any space further up the pitch to exploit. Ozil makes the majority of his passes in the final third and the stats show he's creating but it's not the sort of chances that are being converted into goals. Unless we find nimble players that find the small pockets of space to score, give up our possession play or try a totally new formation, I can't see this being the game changer.

Marc Overmars
21-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I fear another Giroud kind of striker is exactly what Wenger will look for. I don't want Morata because he's similar in style, if a little more technically sound.

We need an RVC at his peak. Man that cunt was good.

Thierrymon
21-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Hopefully this signing means Ramsey is no longer first on the team sheet. He needs to improve drastically or be sold.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
21-05-2016, 12:32 PM
I don't think Giroud is by any means a terrible player, just a) clearly doesn't suit our style of play and b) isn't prolific enough to merit being played week in, week out.

Alvaro Morata who seems to be our top transfer target in terms of Strikers doesn't appear to be the solution either. If we employ pace on the wing the best attacking option will always come from playing the ball across the box in behind the defence for a quick striker to make good runs and find the net. But we also need someone who is quick enough to run off the shoulder of the last defender to make use of long passes played to him by either Ozil or someone like Xhaka.

I'm not really sure why Xhaka has been bought in first, from what I've seen he is excellent both defensively and technically but until we sort out other areas of the pitch he's a bit like buying a Rolex watch for a man with no arms.

Globalgunner
21-05-2016, 01:35 PM
We need as many WC players as we can get to make up for Wengers inherent ineptitide. 5 world class players are the minimum required just to keep us from slipping behind the other clubs. 7 or 8 to see us really challenge. I think even Wenger has realised that next year will probably the toughest since he arrived here. 5 proven young hungry outstanding managers at clubs with resources all trying to nick our 4th place trophy. Its obvious that Wenger wants to keep this job. Next season will see him literally in the Dragons Den trying to prove he knows his shit, so you can bank on a striker coming Morata or someone else, thats for sure.

Kano
21-05-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think Giroud is by any means a terrible player, just a) clearly doesn't suit our style of play and b) isn't prolific enough to merit being played week in, week out.

Alvaro Morata who seems to be our top transfer target in terms of Strikers doesn't appear to be the solution either. If we employ pace on the wing the best attacking option will always come from playing the ball across the box in behind the defence for a quick striker to make good runs and find the net. But we also need someone who is quick enough to run off the shoulder of the last defender to make use of long passes played to him by either Ozil or someone like Xhaka.

I'm not really sure why Xhaka has been bought in first, from what I've seen he is excellent both defensively and technically but until we sort out other areas of the pitch he's a bit like buying a Rolex watch for a man with no arms.

Central midfield was just as much as a priority as another good striker really. If not more so to a degree. Our middle pairing was a mess once Cazorla and Coquelin were sidelined and we can't rely on that pairing longterm - or any other from our current squad - to help us find some cohesion in our play again. That starts from the distribution of the ball from midfield, so if we have found a solution to that, it should equal meaningful control of the ball and the game and more opportunities to score. Then hopefully a more ruthless striker to take advantage of that.

Anyway, welcome Xhaka. Hope you turn out to be an absolute beast of a midfielder for us.

mastermind84
21-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Unless we're playing Ramsey in the midfield, we don't usually have a problem with moving the ball for
Just not sure how anyone can watch Arsenal play and think this is true.

The second West Ham match was the most glaring example of this not being true.

Xhaka does the job of Coquelin and Cazorla but with more passing range, and size. He also gets the ball forward quicker and can collect the ball deeper and can build in the first phase which Coquelin just can't do. Elneney does not have Xhaka's passing range nor does he spot runs as well as Xhaka.

This move will liberate Ramsey and we should see a return to the form he showed from January 2013 to May 2014. But we need a healthy Jack with those 2 for this midfield to reach its potential.

Also Özil will not have to drop as deep to collect the ball.

mastermind84
21-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Alvaro Morata who seems to be our top transfer target in terms of Strikers doesn't appear to be the solution either.
Per 90 minutes, he is a 1 goal in 2 games striker.

This guy is legit. If we can get him, we get the speed and power we been wanting in a CF since van Cunt left.

I have faith he will be a goal scorer too.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I hear Giroud has the best goals to game ratio after Aguero this season..... Is he the solution?

I am unsure of Morata being the guy to take us to the next level.

mastermind84
21-05-2016, 03:47 PM
I hear Giroud has the best goals to game ratio after Aguero this season..... Is he the solution?

Cool

But Giroud is slow, cumbersome, and no one is throwing £40-50 million bids for him. Also don't think Juventus is desperate to get him like they are with keeping Morata.

Morata is a big and pacy forward with excellent movement and technique. I'm confident he will do the business wherever he goes.

:good:

I think part of the problem is that Coquelin and Cazorla work best as a package, and fill in the blanks in each other's games really well - the two of them together is a beautiful thing, but lose one and you kind of lose the whole attacking or defensive side of the heart of the team. Given the frequency and severity of the injuries we pick up, that's a worry.
Yup

The two only played CM well together but the best midfields have one player to do both of their jobs. Now we have that one.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 03:57 PM
I should say...I cannot confirm that is true, but he was in 6th place in February. The point I'm making is a 1 in 2 goal ratio is nothing particularly special although it is obviously good. Juventus are far more concerned about Dybala as far as assets go.

Morata has good technique but I would be intrigued to see if the fan base as a whole would accept that as our main business as a forward this summer. I've just seen that he is only 23 and 6'2 so a good size but I hear that Real want him back anyway so they can make a profit on him..... and nobody has thrown out a 40/50 million bid for Morata either....

Master Splinter
21-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Anyway, welcome Xhaka. Hope you turn out to be an absolute beast of a midfielder for us.

:doh:

Master Splinter
21-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Never heard of him, Wengcunt will coach the left foot out of him, woe is me.

Wengturd out!

LDG
21-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Welcome Granit Worktop

Red card mentalist.

Power n Glory
21-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Just not sure how anyone can watch Arsenal play and think this is true.

The second West Ham match was the most glaring example of this not being true.

Xhaka does the job of Coquelin and Cazorla but with more passing range, and size. He also gets the ball forward quicker and can collect the ball deeper and can build in the first phase which Coquelin just can't do. Elneney does not have Xhaka's passing range nor does he spot runs as well as Xhaka.

This move will liberate Ramsey and we should see a return to the form he showed from January 2013 to May 2014. But we need a healthy Jack with those 2 for this midfield to reach its potential.

Also Özil will not have to drop as deep to collect the ball.

Most would agree that we look a lot better at moving the ball with Coquelin and Cazorla playing. With those two out, it looked disjointed. Elneny came into the side and we started to look more together again but still lacked the cutting edge. I think you're the only person on this board calling for Wilshere and Ramsey to be getting midfield starts in the side when it hasn't been a successful combination in the past. It's disjointed with neither taking on the role that Cazorla or Elneny take on.

If what I said was untrue, why is it Ramsey needs liberating? Why do we need a player like Xhaka to take on the responsibility he should be doing as a CM?

Nayan
21-05-2016, 05:17 PM
does this mean out midfield pivot is now gran-orla?

GP
21-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Granit is good on the counter.

Power n Glory
21-05-2016, 05:22 PM

I'm not convinced by Morata either. Read this and was also thinking about what I've seen of him. He just doesn't seem all that explosive and he only scored 11 goals last season. I'm hoping Wenger isn't looking at the 12 assists and counting them as goals.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641343-why-alvaro-morata-is-not-the-striker-arsenal-need-in-this-transfer-window

Nayan
21-05-2016, 05:25 PM
his numbers look terrible. I was talking to a bloke down the pub about him and it's even worse- most of those assists were shots off target that someone else turned goal ward or deflected into his own goal.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
21-05-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm not convinced by Morata either. Read this and was also thinking about what I've seen of him. He just doesn't seem all that explosive and he only scored 11 goals last season. I'm hoping Wenger isn't looking at the 12 assists and counting them as goals.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641343-why-alvaro-morata-is-not-the-striker-arsenal-need-in-this-transfer-window

He does look a little 'no after you sir' as a striker....

We've had enough deference and selflessness from Giroud. We need a goal demon. A player who wants to kill the CB to score himself....because he wants to do so and believes he can.

mastermind84
21-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Most would agree that we look a lot better at moving the ball with Coquelin and Cazorla playing. With those two out, it looked disjointed. Elneny came into the side and we started to look more together again but still lacked the cutting edge. I think you're the only person on this board calling for Wilshere and Ramsey to be getting midfield starts in the side when it hasn't been a successful combination in the past. It's disjointed with neither taking on the role that Cazorla or Elneny take on.

If what I said was untrue, why is it Ramsey needs liberating? Why do we need a player like Xhaka to take on the responsibility he should be doing as a CM?
I called it for Aaron and Jack to start in front of Xhaka which is much different than what your post suggests. In the past, they started as just two in the midfield. Completely different than what I have advocated.

Xhaka does the job of what Coqzorla did. Why would you want two players to perform two different roles when one guy does both and does it at an elite level? It doesn't make sense.

And Ramsey is the best athlete we have in the middle who can help when defending and attacking. The guy was a dominant midfielder for 18 months and what was common was having a guy build in the first phase like Arteta. Xhaka is that version of Arteta x2. It's no coincidence Ramsey form dipped when Arteta fell off.

And this helps Wilshere as it should allow him to get on the pitch and carry the ball like he does a great job at. Either he or Cazorla since Jack more than likely will be injured.

Xhaka and Ramsey and Wilshere are 3 different types of midfielders. Just like Scholes and Keane were different types of midfielders. I wouldn't ask Xhaka to get forward and create in the final 3rd just like Ramsey is not adept at collecting the ball from the center backs. It's not about who takes responsibility of the midfield but who does their role on the pitch.

Having actually watched Morata play, he is very explosive. He also helps the team score more goals. He was awful the beginning of the season but turned it on going forward. Per 90 minutes he is a goal every 2 games striker. In champions league, Morata is at 3.3 shots per game. For comparisons sake, Giroud is at 2.6 and Sergio Aguero is at 2.4 (4 per game in premier league).

Those numbers indicate that he isn't a "I'm not going to take this shot" player but his Serie A form did stink at 1.8 shots per game but watching him play, he is a talent that will shine when given a starting CF role, imo.

mastermind84
21-05-2016, 07:19 PM
This is Morata from last season from opta

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2ZNlvTIAAATeR0?format=png

And an article analyzing his play from The Tactics Room last season

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHUPj3oWEAAYof0?format=png

Japan Shaking All Over
21-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Its on.......lots of photos circulating

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/granit-xhaka-to-arsenal-transfer-leaked-pictures-confirmed-gunners-have-signed-midfielder-a7041116.html%3famp?client=safari#

Chippy
21-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Don't worry, Wenger will play him out of position and make him shit. Wenger out.

Munchies
21-05-2016, 08:33 PM
Its on.......lots of photos circulating

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/granit-xhaka-to-arsenal-transfer-leaked-pictures-confirmed-gunners-have-signed-midfielder-a7041116.html%3famp?client=safari#

It's on? It's done :lol:

Power n Glory
22-05-2016, 01:24 AM
I called it for Aaron and Jack to start in front of Xhaka which is much different than what your post suggests. In the past, they started as just two in the midfield. Completely different than what I have advocated.

Xhaka does the job of what Coqzorla did. Why would you want two players to perform two different roles when one guy does both and does it at an elite level? It doesn't make sense.

And Ramsey is the best athlete we have in the middle who can help when defending and attacking. The guy was a dominant midfielder for 18 months and what was common was having a guy build in the first phase like Arteta. Xhaka is that version of Arteta x2. It's no coincidence Ramsey form dipped when Arteta fell off.

And this helps Wilshere as it should allow him to get on the pitch and carry the ball like he does a great job at. Either he or Cazorla since Jack more than likely will be injured.

Xhaka and Ramsey and Wilshere are 3 different types of midfielders. Just like Scholes and Keane were different types of midfielders. I wouldn't ask Xhaka to get forward and create in the final 3rd just like Ramsey is not adept at collecting the ball from the center backs. It's not about who takes responsibility of the midfield but who does their role on the pitch.

Ramsey's form didn't dip with the decline of Arteta. They've played together plenty of times.

In the 2011/12 season, Ramsey had a whole season with Song and Arteta sitting behind him. A prime Arteta and Song in great form for us. Ramsey was playing the majority of his games in the AM role where he didn't have to worry about defending. He was 'liberated'. Total freedom in that role. He managed 3 goals and 6 assists in all comps.

2012/13 Ramsey was paired with Arteta as a CM for a good bulk of games. 2 goals and 4 assists in all comps. This is the season fans started to get on his case because he was playing poorly. He had a prime Arteta right next to him.

2013/14 is his season where he goes on a scoring streak. Half the goals he scored with Arteta beside him, the other half was without Arteta. I'd argue something just started to click for him in this particular season. Nothing to do with who he was paired with because he'd be in beast mode even when played with Flamini.

2014/15 and he's back to old tricks. We started the season with Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey playing together in a 4-3-3 in very much the same way you're saying we should play when Xhaka arrives. It was a disaster and only until each of those guys got injured and we stumbled upon Coquelin and Cazorla did we start playing well again. Arteta may have been in decline but looking on the past few seasons Ramsey had with Arteta, 2013/14 was just the odd season. A purple patch where he found his shooting boots.

I hope Xhaka helps Ramsey find his 2014/14 form but I wouldn't count on it. We don't have to accommodate him and it's up to him to fight for his place. But if Xhaka is the answer to Ramsey's game, then we should see Ramsey back scoring goals, no?

mastermind84
22-05-2016, 01:59 AM
2012/13 Ramsey was paired with Arteta as a CM for a good bulk of games. 2 goals and 4 assists in all comps. This is the season fans started to get on his case because he was playing poorly. He had a prime Arteta right next to him.

Then that spring he turned into a Titan but you weren't paying attention.

The match that sticks the most out was when our fans wanted Fellaini and we played them and Ramsey beasted on him.

Power n Glory
22-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Then that spring he turned into a Titan but you weren't paying attention.

The match that sticks the most out was when our fans wanted Fellaini and we played them and Ramsey beasted on him.

His form of picked up later in the season but was he scoring goals? 2 goals all season. He started doing the basics and that led into him having a strong start to the 2012/13 season.

Has he breasted on anyone since? Was this just a purple patch? I don't think someone doing the basics further back field will help his game. He doesn't need freedom. He needs to be pulled in and told to keep it simple and the rest will flow. It's not as if he's lethal and consistent in the box either. His touch and finishing can sometimes let him down. He used to get it badly wrong at the other end of the pitch and we've seen some of that this season. I really don't know if giving him the freedom to roam further forward is the answer.

I think he needs a coach to get in his ear so let's hope he has a good Euros. I think his run off goo form started at International level and was totally different to how he was playing at club level before his purple patch. Again, I'm just saying I think it's more down to coaching and Ramsey sorting his head out over him needing a specific player next to him. As said, I'd you were laying attention to his best season with us you'd see he was playing well with Flamini and even Wilshere in the middle with no Arteta in sight? What does that tell you?

Japan Shaking All Over
22-05-2016, 07:33 AM
It's on? It's done :lol:

You can never be too sure with us lot..,....

Maestro
22-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Has he breasted on anyone since?

I think he needs a coach to get in his ear so let's hope he has a good Euros. I think his run off goo form started ....

:haha:

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Thought he was talking about Nasri, so it made sense.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
22-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Unless we've sold him already, he's an Arsenal player.

Worst kept secret in football.....

Power n Glory
22-05-2016, 10:04 AM

:Haha: oops!

mastermind84
22-05-2016, 01:45 PM
His form of picked up later in the season but was he scoring goals? 2 goals all season. He started doing the basics and that led into him having a strong start to the 2012/13 season.
We judge how midfielders play by goals now?

He won a couple players of the month awards the end of that season. It wasn't the basics, it was his confidence returning.

Has he breasted on anyone since? Was this just a purple patch? I don't think someone doing the basics further back field will help his game. He doesn't need freedom. He needs to be pulled in and told to keep it simple and the rest will flow. It's not as if he's lethal and consistent in the box either. His touch and finishing can sometimes let him down. He used to get it badly wrong at the other end of the pitch and we've seen some of that this season. I really don't know if giving him the freedom to roam further forward is the answer.

I think he needs a coach to get in his ear so let's hope he has a good Euros. I think his run off goo form started at International level and was totally different to how he was playing at club level before his purple patch. Again, I'm just saying I think it's more down to coaching and Ramsey sorting his head out over him needing a specific player next to him. As said, I'd you were laying attention to his best season with us you'd see he was playing well with Flamini and even Wilshere in the middle with no Arteta in sight? What does that tell you?
I don't know when he has had a partner that could provide positional stability and build in the first phase. He has it now and I think a return to form will happen. 18 months is not a purple patch, especially when we saw him break into the side with Fabregas and co. He was also good on his return back to the side this year.

I think we will see a return.

Power n Glory
22-05-2016, 03:20 PM
We judge how midfielders play by goals now?

He won a couple players of the month awards the end of that season. It wasn't the basics, it was his confidence returning.

I don't know when he has had a partner that could provide positional stability and build in the first phase. He has it now and I think a return to form will happen. 18 months is not a purple patch, especially when we saw him break into the side with Fabregas and co. He was also good on his return back to the side this year.

I think we will see a return.

I thought you argument was Arteta being the man that provides stability in the first phase?

I'm not judging Ramsey on his goals, I'm just going off this premise that he needs 'liberating'. It's part of his duty to build play from the first phase as well. It just seems to me you're suggesting we need a player like Xhaka to 'liberate' him so he can play further up the pitch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But again, I say in the months where Ramsey showed his best form, he could have played with any player in the midfield. It didn't matter. Once he started helping out and making the simple passes deeper on the pitch, working the ball forward, he started to find space and the goals came. Now it seems like he's trying to bypass the first phase of play and just wants to be involved in the final third action when we're in possession. He'll rush forward after making a pass without thinking he may need to support the build up play. It's what Elneny and Cazorla do very well and what Ramsey neglects. That's my main problem with him. We'll see if Xhaka makes a difference.

GP
25-05-2016, 10:36 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160523/arsenal-agree-deal-with-granit-xhaka

Finally confirmed.

Letters
25-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Sell him, he's shit!

Munchies
25-05-2016, 10:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjS7cjTWgAAfjbN.jpg

Get in!

Hump
25-05-2016, 10:40 AM
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160523/arsenal-agree-deal-with-granit-xhaka

Finally confirmed.

We've signed Granit? Are you sure? Is it written in stone?

AFC Leveller
25-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Love left footed DCMs.

Marc Overmars
25-05-2016, 10:42 AM
What a man. :bow:

I am invisible
25-05-2016, 10:44 AM
WENGER OUT!

I am invisible
25-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Sell him, he's shit!

Real have shown us the way Morata! We can't just wait for clubs to buy our star players off us - we need to be more proactive...

Letters
25-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Nice to be doing business earlier. Now sign a striker! A proper one.

Munchies
25-05-2016, 10:52 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF09UsMPc3M/?taken-by=granitxhaka

granitxhakaNow it’s official. From next season on I will play for @Arsenal. I want to thank everyone at @borussia. Together we brought the club back to where it belongs, to the Champions League. I will always look back with pleasure to that time. But from now on I’m totally focused on playing at one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's a big honour for me to wear the Arsenal jersey, as well as it has been an honour to play for Gladbach in the last four years. I hope we see each other again in the Champions League! ✊ #Xhaka#GX34#PremierLeague#Thanks

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjS_UA9WEAABFL3.jpg:large

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-05-2016, 11:26 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BF09UsMPc3M/?taken-by=granitxhaka

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjS_UA9WEAABFL3.jpg:large

I will sit on this football until it hatches

Power n Glory
25-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Hurray! I hope that spells doom for the undisciplined, injury prone and underperfomering CM's that will remain nameless.

Niall_Quinn
25-05-2016, 11:46 AM
We've needed a rock in midfield for a long time.

Niall_Quinn
25-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Glad we spent £30mill on Granit rather than £50mill on Stones.

Penguin
25-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I've read a few articles comparing Xhaka to Alonso and Scweinsteiger. Sounds good.

It will be pointless if Arsene sits on his arse and does nothing else this summer. Honestly, if he comes out with the excuse that nobody was available he's an idiot. We need a striker at all costs.

GP
25-05-2016, 12:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjTQYTQUgAAGN8U.jpg

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Heard a comparison with Petit today, but we shall see.

AFC Leveller
25-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Glad we spent £30mill on Granit rather than £50mill on Stones.

Just hope he isnt injury prone and made of porcelain...

I am invisible
25-05-2016, 01:19 PM
His fitness record up until now counts for nothing - just wait until the Angel of Death on our medical team gets hold of him...

dostoy
25-05-2016, 01:23 PM
I am sure he will be a good signing and I'm glad he is here.

I am also sure that he will be sent off early on next season and he must learn from it.

A world class striker next please Arsene.

Niall_Quinn
25-05-2016, 01:28 PM
He's missed 15 games through injury since 2011 and only 10 games through physical injury, the rest were down to colds and flu.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/granit-xhaka/verletzungen/spieler/111455

Granit seems to be durable.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Updated the thread title. :geek:

Marc Overmars
25-05-2016, 01:32 PM
He's missed 15 games through injury since 2011 and only 10 games through physical injury, the rest were down to colds and flu.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/granit-xhaka/verletzungen/spieler/111455

Granit seems to be durable.

Expect that to double within the year.

Alpha
25-05-2016, 02:46 PM

I think our "specialists" in football always miss out on something before making a comment . A team does not sign a striker following his previous statistics only . They look at many things . Such as : his positioning , his runs , how he combines with his team mates , how quick he can spot a potential pass , how he can bring others into play , the ratio of his finishing ..etc..
Anyone can score goals if in a good position . A defender or a midfielder can both score .
Look at Diego Costa statistics before he moves to Chelsea , would you say he is not a good striker ?
2007-2008 Celta (loan) Games (30). Goals (6)
2009-2010 Valladolid. ,, (34). ,, (8)
2010-2011 Atletico Madrid. (20). ,, (3)
2012-2014. ,, (74). (40)

Based to his statistics bar Atlectico's , would you say he is not a top striker ? Any player who has potential to be a good striker can score more goals if he is having good passes from the midfield .

Power n Glory
25-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I think our "specialists" in football always miss out on something before making a comment . A team does not sign a striker following his previous statistics only . They look at many things . Such as : his positioning , his runs , how he combines with his team mates , how quick he can spot a potential pass , how he can bring others into play , the ratio of his finishing ..etc..
Anyone can score goals if in a good position . A defender or a midfielder can both score .
Look at Diego Costa statistics before he moves to Chelsea , would you say he is not a good striker ?
2007-2008 Celta (loan) Games (30). Goals (6)
2009-2010 Valladolid. ,, (34). ,, (8)
2010-2011 Atletico Madrid. (20). ,, (3)
2012-2014. ,, (74). (40)

Based to his statistics bar Atlectico's , would you say he is not a top striker ? Any player who has potential to be a good striker can score more goals if he is having good passes from the midfield .

Costa scored 36 goals in his last season before moving to Chelsea. But saying that, I wasn't convinced he'd fit into our style of play when he was on the market either. Seeing how he's struggled with Spain, I think he'd struggle with how we try to play which is similar to how Spain try to play but less efficient. I'll consider the stats but also the their style of play and if it's something we desperately need. Making good runs, bringing others into play, passing ability....all factors but we're missing a striker with that killer instinct.

Morata's numbers aren't impressive. 12 and 15 goals in his two seasons for Juve. Has never scored more than 20 in the league and it's a concern because Wenger has said we need a striker that can score 20 or more in the league. If he think he has the potential to score more...great. I can't see the potential but I'm no expert so could be wrong. But considering the climate around the club and the other players touted around the market, I don't see why have to take such a risk.

But the question for you is, going off what you've said; we've bought strikers in the past with unimpressive numbers, Chamakh, Sanogo, Giroud, Welbeck from recent history. They've been risky buys with potential. But have they gone on to become top strikers? You know the answer to that one and it's why we're having this discussion about Morata.

selassie
25-05-2016, 03:12 PM
I've read a few articles comparing Xhaka to Alonso and Scweinsteiger. Sounds good.

It will be pointless if Arsene sits on his arse and does nothing else this summer. Honestly, if he comes out with the excuse that nobody was available he's an idiot. We need a striker at all costs.

Yep, good signing. Totally agree about the striker thing too.

fakeyank
25-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Good signing.. I am sure the hierarchy at the club noticed the lack of season ticket renewals. We are getting good players.. all that remains is for the fossil to disappear!

Niall_Quinn
25-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Spine of the team is still weak. CB and striker needed.

Cech - Fine
Kos - Needs a world class partner
Xhaka - Let's hope he's decent
Ozil
Steaming turd mound - work needed here, that's for sure. We can't possibly go another window without correcting this.

If they fill in that spine this summer then Wenger and the gang will have indicated they are finally serious about football. If they don't, well they confirm again what they seem to be about. No excuses accepted, this has been long overdue.

fakeyank
25-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Spine of the team is still weak. CB and striker needed.

Cech - Fine
Kos - Needs a world class partner
Xhaka - Let's hope he's decent
Ozil
Steaming turd mound - work needed here, that's for sure. We can't possibly go another window without correcting this.

If they fill in that spine this summer then Wenger and the gang will have indicated they are finally serious about football. If they don't, well they confirm again what they seem to be about. No excuses accepted, this has been long overdue.

We have as well Theo Walcott who can play upfront.

Alpha
25-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Costa scored 36 goals in his last season before moving to Chelsea. But saying that, I wasn't convinced he'd fit into our style of play when he was on the market either. Seeing how he's struggled with Spain, I think he'd struggle with how we try to play which is similar to how Spain try to play but less efficient. I'll consider the stats but also the their style of play and if it's something we desperately need. Making good runs, bringing others into play, passing ability....all factors but we're missing a striker with that killer instinct.

Morata's numbers aren't impressive. 12 and 15 goals in his two seasons for Juve. Has never scored more than 20 in the league and it's a concern because Wenger has said we need a striker that can score 20 or more in the league. If he think he has the potential to score more...great. I can't see the potential but I'm no expert so could be wrong. But considering the climate around the club and the other players touted around the market, I don't see why have to take such a risk.

But the question for you is, going off what you've said; we've bought strikers in the past with unimpressive numbers, Chamakh, Sanogo, Giroud, Welbeck from recent history. They've been risky buys with potential. But have they gone on to become top strikers? You know the answer to that one and it's why we're having this discussion about Morata.

To be honest , none of our previous strikers had a good record before they signed for Arsenal bar Ian Wright who was quite prolific at Crystal Palace .
TH14 scored 20 goals for 105 games at Monaco and 3 goals for 16 games at Juve . He joined us and the rest is history . RVP found the net 16 times for 61 games at Feyenoord . Who wouldn't ike to see a young "RVP" at Arsenal again ? Adebayor 18 goals for 78 games at Monaco.When he came he had a decent return .
I wasn't and I am not impressed by Chamackh , Sanogo or Wellbeck .
Giroud was scoring loads of goals in France when he was played as a proper centre forward . The theam was creating chances for him to put them away . But at Arsenal he is doing 3 people's job : he is a striker . He has to track back and bring our soft midfield into play . But his statistics are not too bad but not impressive as we need a predator .

Power n Glory
25-05-2016, 06:39 PM
To be honest , none of our previous strikers had a good record before they signed for Arsenal bar Ian Wright who was quite prolific at Crystal Palace .
TH14 scored 20 goals for 105 games at Monaco and 3 goals for 16 games at Juve . He joined us and the rest is history . RVP found the net 16 times for 61 games at Feyenoord . Who wouldn't ike to see a young "RVP" at Arsenal again ? Adebayor 18 goals for 78 games at Monaco.When he came he had a decent return .
I wasn't and I am not impressed by Chamackh , Sanogo or Wellbeck .
Giroud was scoring loads of goals in France when he was played as a proper centre forward . The theam was creating chances for him to put them away . But at Arsenal he is doing 3 people's job : he is a striker . He has to track back and bring our soft midfield into play . But his statistics are not too bad but not impressive as we need a predator .

But we paid small fees for Henry, RVP and Ade. Henry and RVP weren't even strikers when they arrived. The fee they're taking about us paying for Morata is pretty hefty and we could probably buy some with a better goal records and more experience for that money. Is he that special to command such a fee?

But putting that to one side, we had a stellar record when it came to finding strikers but that isn't the case any more. It's why I mention the last round of strikers we've bought. You mention Giroud's record and role and doing three jobs but how do we know Morata isn't coming in to do the same role? He looks a similar build to Giroud and I worry he'll get bogged down in the same problems yet his goal records is worse than Giroud's.

Regardless of what happens, I welcome the change up front. But I was hoping for a different type or striker up front.

Alpha
25-05-2016, 06:52 PM
But we paid small fees for Henry, RVP and Ade. Henry and RVP weren't even strikers when they arrived. The fee they're taking about us paying for Morata is pretty hefty and we could probably buy some with a better goal records and more experience for that money. Is he that special to command such a fee?

But putting that to one side, we had a stellar record when it came to finding strikers but that isn't the case any more. It's why I mention the last round of strikers we've bought. You mention Giroud's record and role and doing three jobs but how do we know Morata isn't coming in to do the same role? He looks a similar build to Giroud and I worry he'll get bogged down in the same problems yet his goal records is worse than Giroud's.

Regardless of what happens, I welcome the change up front. But I was hoping for a different type or striker up front.

I fully understand your scepticism . I also want to see a new face upfront . I wouldn't mind Morata at all . But my personal choice would be between Mauro Icardi or Vincent Janssen even though the latter is younger and might be inexperienced But he is a very good finisher . I rate Aubameyang but sometimes he looks unconvincing in some games .

Munchies
25-05-2016, 07:18 PM
Why don't we just go for Jamie Vardy?

£20m release clause (that he wanted inserted in the most recent contract that he signed)

We can get 2-3 seasons out of him still.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-05-2016, 07:23 PM
He's a racist shit.

Can we keep the transfer speculation to the transfer speculation thread though?

Özim
25-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Xhaka sounds goods, striker is a must one, a decent one, none of the rubbish we usually sign.

No thanks to Morata, he's sh*t in front of goal, the Spanish Walcott, overhyped, overrated and overpriced, it would be a travesty if we signed this dud.

Letters
25-05-2016, 09:52 PM
the Spanish Walcott.
:lol:

Toronto Gooner
25-05-2016, 11:21 PM
I fully understand your scepticism . I also want to see a new face upfront . I wouldn't mind Morata at all . But my personal choice would be between Mauro Icardi or Vincent Janssen even though the latter is younger and might be inexperienced But he is a very good finisher . I rate Aubameyang but sometimes he looks unconvincing in some games .
I would be okay with Janssen, if we get a more experienced striker. However, a good friend is an Inter fan and he would do cartwheels if someone took Icardi.

KSE Comedy Club
26-05-2016, 07:25 AM
I'm starting to worry that Xhaka could be Ozil's replacement :unsure:

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2016, 07:48 AM

That would be classic Arsenal. But I haven't seen much about Ozil going this season, what are you seeing?

Kano
26-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Seems happy enough

Mesut Ozil has once again shown himself to be a man who doesn’t pay too much attention to criticism, at club and international level.

The German was voted Arsenal’s player of the season for 2015/16, and speaking in a lengthy interview with L’Equipe (translated by Get French Football News here) said that doubts about his ability to adjust to English football made him redouble his efforts.

“I never doubted my ability to succeed in the Premier League,” he said. “The critics and the difficult moments pushed me to work harder. I think that I have shown the world. I have learnt to accept that sometimes you have low points.

“When I play less well, I remain calm, whilst working two times harder in training. Through perseverance, I became better.”

It tallied with criticism he received during Germany’s World Cup win of 2014, again something which didn’t cause him sleepless nights.

” I have nothing to prove to anyone. At the World Cup, I put myself at the service of the team. I played in a position that was not my own. As a playmaker I am more at ease in the centre behind the attackers.”

And on being played out of position, he simply accepted his job in the team.

“It is not in my character to do that. It was the World Cup, not the Mesut Özil Cup. I accepted the decision and did not regret it for one second.”

Having previously touched on dietary adjustments, he again laud out what he’d changed.

“I changed my body language,” he said. “Before, after each missed opportunity or imprecise pass, I let my shoulders drop and I would moan.

“Now, I keep my head up and I try to make up for my error as soon as possible. After training, I go to the gym. I also go into the freezing baths in order to have a better blood circulation.

“Before I drank fizzy drinks and I was not drinking enough water. Now, I drink enormous amounts of water and green tea. In terms of nutrition, I have stopped eating bread.

“As a result, I feel much better in terms of my body and muscle injuries are much rarer. I will continue to be disciplined and rigorous. There is no secret.”

And in general, he sounds happy with his life at Arsenal and in England, despite saying the Gunners lost concentration too often last season.

“On the pitch, I am always enjoying myself,” he said. “I am lucky to play in the best league in the world and to be a certain starter at one of the best English clubs. In the Premier League, my enjoyment is very high.”

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-05-2016, 09:28 AM

I think he is Cazorla's replacement especially seeing as Cazorla when he was fit was being played in a far deeper role by Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2016, 09:41 AM
When you read that Ozil interview it's very difficult to know why some fans still aren't convinced that this guy is integral to anything we are going to achieve in the future. I hope Theo Walcott read that.

Marc Overmars
26-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Ozil still has 2 years left to run so I expect him to stay this year, however if we fail again next season he'll probably do one.

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Ozil still has 2 years left to run so I expect him to stay this year, however if we fail again next season he'll probably do one.

You could hardly blame him. He has a career to think about and plenty to offer. Like many on the team he'll be wanting to see some names come in this season, names that aren't Sanogo.

Kano
26-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Article on Xhaka. Seems to show that Wenger still does attract players by reputation - goes to show how differently players and fans view things:

Borussia Mönchengladbach’s interim manager André Schubert looked around his dressing room in search of a leader. The team had lost five consecutive games at the start of last season and the two club captains, Martin Stranzl und Tony Jantschke, were injured and unavailable.

The team were rock bottom of the Bundesliga, still reeling from the departure of the hugely popular manager Lucien Favre, who had qualified the team for the Champions League the previous season, and Schubert needed someone to invigorate his squad.

He could have opted for the Swiss international goalkeeper Yann Sommer or for Lars Stindl, who had been such an inspirational captain for Hannover before leaving in 2015. But he didn’t – instead he chose a 22-year-old with a history of unnecessary yellow and red cards, with a decent proportion of them coming for dissent.

“There were two or three others who could have replaced Jantschke,” said Schubert, “but I picked Granit Xhaka because he is an important player for us who has a lot of good qualities. But he is also someone who has to learn to take responsibility.”

It was a huge gamble – but a gamble that paid off. Xhaka could have wilted, but instead he grew with the responsibility.

Xhaka’s first outing as captain, a home game against Augsburg, serves as a microcosm of the player: an extraordinary amount of running, intense tackling, a goal, superb passing – and then substituted in the 77th minute on a yellow card, having given away a penalty, and in real danger of being sent off. An asset but also a danger to his team.

It was Xhaka’s sixth league game and his third booking. By the 17th league game of the season he had been sent off three times. He simply could not help himself.

But slowly he grew into the role as captain, maturing on the pitch, managing to “be more balanced in his game”, and becoming “cooler and calmer” according to Schubert. The manager was right. After that third red card, which came as early as 31 October, Xhaka only picked up one more yellow until the end of the season. Die Fohlen, under Xhaka’s leadership, recovered from their dreadful start and finished fourth.

This week the 23-year-old Switzerland midfielder joined Arsenal for £35m, becoming Arsenal’s third most expensive player ever, behind Mesut Özil and Alexis Sánchez. He cost almost three times as much as his international team-mate, Xherdan Shaqiri, when he moved to Stoke in January.

Arsène Wenger said Arsenal had been watching the player regularly for over a year and Xhaka admitted the Frenchman was a huge reason for joining the Gunners. “He is a legend. The first contact with him was a year ago. He phoned me. I could hardly speak,” he told Blick.

He could have joined Atlético Madrid last season but despite the fact that the Spanish club has reached two Champions League finals in three years the Swiss is adamant he made the right choice in sticking with Wenger (suggesting that, whatever the Wenger out brigade thinks, the Frenchman is perhaps not all bad).

“Arsenal were really interested in me for a long time and I think that I fit into the football Arsenal play,” he added. “I am a good footballer but I also like to get stuck in. Arsenal have, in the last few years, always played great, attractive football and this is a great step for me.”

Xhaka then added the fact that he had captained Mönchengladbach at such a young age was “not normal”. But then Xhaka is not a “normal” player. Born in Switzerland to Kosovan parents, he has had to break down barriers to get to where he is today. In recent times he has been held up as the perfect example of successful integration in the country but it has not always been that easy.

Asked in 2012 whether he had been discriminated against because of his background, he told Schweiz am Sonntag [Switzerland on Sunday]: “Yes, absolutely. I never used to be taken seriously as a Swiss person. I often heard people saying things like ‘always these shit Albanians’ but I never let it get to me because I knew it was just a cliché …

“There a lot of occasions when Albanians cause trouble but then we are also very nice people. People sometimes forget that there are good people from the Balkans as well. The biggest difference between someone like myself and an ‘Urschweizer’ [someone born in Switzerland] is the name. That’s it. If Max Müller and Flamur Berisha goes for the same apprenticeship then it is likely that the job goes to Max Müller. I find that stupid.”

Xhaka and his brother, Thaulant, who will represent Albania at Euro 2016, managed to stay out of trouble when they were younger, dedicating themselves to football. They both started out in Basel’s youth team and rose through the ranks, moving up to the first team at the start of the 2010-11 season.

In 2012 Granit joined Mönchengladbach and immediately made it clear that he did not lack in confidence. After a few months, when he was mainly on the bench, the 20-year-old told the press that he “would seek to speak to the manager” and “that he had already proved that he could play at the highest level”.

The comments did not go down too well with his team-mates or manager Favre but, despite flirting with Lazio, he stayed at Gladbach. Later, when asked what he had learned from the experience, Xhaka said: “To speak less with the press,” before expanding, “I don’t blame the journalists but I will say things differently from now on. I went in too hard straight away. I shouldn’t have said that openly what I was thinking.”

Since then Xhaka has let his football do the talking, improving in each of the four years he spent at Die Borussen. There is no doubt he will be an asset for Arsenal as Wenger has finally decided to opt for a bit of bite in midfield to go with all the skill. Not that Xhaka isn’t skilful, it is more that he combines both aspects of the game. One minute he will get stuck in to the tackle, the next he will be spraying the ball crossfield like Xabi Alonso.

If he continues to develop the way he has done over the past four years, he will be an Arsenal captain in the making. Towards the end of the 2014-15 season he played nine games with a broken rib, initially with special protection and painkillers before ditching them too and just playing through the pain. “At times, it hurt like hell,” he told Der Express , “but that was mainly when I was lying on the sofa at home. But when I was playing I was so focused I wasn’t that interested in my broken rib. And we had to qualify for the Champions League.”

It is an attitude and never-say-die will that have perhaps been missing at Arsenal for the past few years. One player will not change the whole mentality of a squad but Xhaka proved at Gladbach that he can inspire his team-mates with his enthusiasm and work rate.

Wenger has got himself a 23-year-old leader. He may need a few more to win that elusive Premier League title but at least it is a step in the right direction.

Penguin
26-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Nah he's the replacement for Rosicky, Arteta & Flamini.

Marc Overmars
26-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Article on Xhaka. Seems to show that Wenger still does attract players by reputation - goes to show how differently players and fans view things:

His reputation definitely precedes him but what good is that if he cannot elevate the team to the required level. I suppose on the flip side if he can keep attracting decent players then it gives his successor something decent to work with.

Kano
26-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Absolutely agree, I thought it was interesting to hear a player say that given how down nearly all of us are on the manager.

But if this is his last year and his name helps attract one or two other players of good standing, then as you say, it gives the next man even more to work with hopefully.

Alpha
26-05-2016, 04:53 PM
I would be okay with Janssen, if we get a more experienced striker. However, a good friend is an Inter fan and he would do cartwheels if someone took Icardi.

Si , that friend of yours doesn't rate Icardi at all ? I'm really surprised and I even doubt Inter can sell him to us unless we table a very good offer . Every time I have watched him he has always impressed me .
It is strange that some Inter fans would be happy to see his back .
I wonder what wenger is waiting for to open his cheque .

KSE Comedy Club
26-05-2016, 04:58 PM
That would be classic Arsenal. But I haven't seen much about Ozil going this season, what are you seeing?

I was just reading a headline that Ozil has stalled contract talks for a second time until after the Euro's.
How many times have we been there before something goes very wrong?!

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Si , that friend of yours doesn't rate Icardi at all ? I'm really surprised and I even doubt Inter can sell him to us unless we table a very good offer . Every time I have watched him he has always impressed me .

He's waiting for the price to drop to £1

Niall_Quinn
26-05-2016, 05:06 PM

Fans are paying the player wages, puts a slightly different perspective on things. If you know you can pitch up to London and fuck about cruising to a 4th place finish while getting paid a fortune then I guess that makes Wenger a massive draw.

Power n Glory
26-05-2016, 08:24 PM
His reputation definitely precedes him but what good is that if he cannot elevate the team to the required level. I suppose on the flip side if he can keep attracting decent players then it gives his successor something decent to work with.
Never heard of Xhaka before we were linked with him. It didn't seem like he was on high demand and it's not as if he played for a big club either. It's a good signing. An expensive onee but this isn't quite the same as signing a player like Sanchez or Ozil.

But yes, if he can't elevate the team to a higher level than it's pointless. It's important his successor has a good team but also important that he has funds to build his own team.

Toronto Gooner
27-05-2016, 02:51 AM
It may seem strange but I take him at his word regarding his views on Inter players.

Letters
27-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Fans are paying the player wages, puts a slightly different perspective on things. If you know you can pitch up to London and fuck about cruising to a 4th place finish while getting paid a fortune then I guess that makes Wenger a massive draw.
Why do you keep peddling the 4th place thing? We haven't finished 4th for 3 years.

Niall_Quinn
27-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Why do you keep peddling the 4th place thing? We haven't finished 4th for 3 years.

4th place is the target. If some teams underperform we finish higher, but not by design.

Letters
28-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Rubbish.

alexander
29-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Wont lie, had no idea about this Xhaka fella. Just watched some YouTube videos of him, and dam he can spray the passes about. Looks like a player we are really in need of. Good work Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
29-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Rubbish.

Oh right. A decade of doing the bare minimum is hardly evidence we're a club that does the bare minimum. You can just feel the winning mentality running through the club from top to bottom.

Xhaka Can’t
29-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Rubbish.

Don't know how you can say that.

There is a reason we finished 2nd this year and it isn't that we've done anything ourselves that contributed to the 'progression'.

Our only hope of going one better next time out is all our rivals contenting themselves with another shit season while Leicester regress.

And even then, I'm sure we will be closer to 4th than 1st.

Our team won the TV money table and that is all that counts with the fucking parisites sucking the life out of this Club.

Kano
29-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Good work Wenger.

Folks don't say that round these parts.

Letters
29-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Don't know how you can say that.

There is a reason we finished 2nd this year and it isn't that we've done anything ourselves that contributed to the 'progression'.

Our only hope of going one better next time out is all our rivals contenting themselves with another shit season while Leicester regress.

And even then, I'm sure we will be closer to 4th than 1st.

Our team won the TV money table and that is all that counts with the fucking parisites sucking the life out of this Club.
You don't sign players like Ozil, Sanchez and now Xhaka if your only target is 4th. It is our minimum target which is why Wenger has kept his job but players like these show an intention to push us on. It seems increasingly likely that Wenger won't win us another title again but we're starting to build a squad which could - should have last year really.
So while I agree we are too comfortable with top 4 finishes, the sort of players we've signed since the new financial deals came in do show an intent to do better.

Niall_Quinn
29-05-2016, 04:30 PM
And what intent has not signing a decent striker for years shown? Or waiting years to sign a top keeper? Or waiting this long to sign (maybe) a strong midfielder. We've needed the signings you mentioned not to push on but to stand still. Hell, we even have an owner who says trophies is not the reason he "invested". How much more obvious does it need to be before some fans twig what the real intent of this manager and these owners is? If I had to sum the manager up with one word I'd pick, negligent. If I had to sum the owners up I'd say, cunts. What are your words? Ambitious? Hungry?

Letters
29-05-2016, 04:47 PM
And what intent has not signing a decent striker for years shown?
From all the noise last summer it sounds like we were quite serious about trying to sign Benzema. You can criticise Wenger for not signing him, or an alternative, and you'd be right to, but it sounds like he tried. Wenger's had his day but obviously he wants to win titles, what possible reason would he not want to? He may not have the ability any more but of course he wants to.

Niall_Quinn
29-05-2016, 04:56 PM
From all the noise last summer it sounds like we were quite serious about trying to sign Benzema. You can criticise Wenger for not signing him, or an alternative, and you'd be right to, but it sounds like he tried. Wenger's had his day but obviously he wants to win titles, what possible reason would he not want to? He may not have the ability any more but of course he wants to.

Well he failed. So he should be sacked. Let's get somebody in who doesn't fail all the time. Why are we pussyfooting around this? A billion quid competitive sport, why are we lumbered with this dinosaur if we are seriously in this to compete? Makes no sense at all.

Özim
29-05-2016, 06:41 PM

:lol: What a joke, the guy said he wasn't leaving Madrid, so I'm not sure how serious you can be about signing someone when he's categorically said he's not leaving, that's ignoring the fact Madrid neither needed to sell or were going to sell seeing as they were short of out and out strikers.

This so called attempted signing, if it even was was a joke.

Kano
29-05-2016, 06:45 PM
He said that after the rumours had been kicking round for weeks. But how serious Wenger was about signing him? Who knows. Thankfully he didn't. Not a fan of Benzema.

Özim
29-05-2016, 06:46 PM
You don't sign players like Ozil, Sanchez and now Xhaka if your only target is 4th. It is our minimum target which is why Wenger has kept his job but players like these show an intention to push us on. It seems increasingly likely that Wenger won't win us another title again but we're starting to build a squad which could - should have last year really.
So while I agree we are too comfortable with top 4 finishes, the sort of players we've signed since the new financial deals came in do show an intent to do better.

Why not, form what I can tell Wenger just signs players he likes and occasionally gets pressured into signing someone due to the situtation he puts himself in (Ozil being one), just because he signs a couple very good players it doesn't 4th isn't his goal, other clubs after all sign that and more, unless you match them you more than likely to be behind them, especially when you're behind them in the 1st place.

As for Xhaka, let's not pretend he's a massive signing, yes he cost a lot of money but how many people know anything about him or have really heard about him and how many clubs were submitting big bids for him?

He looks like he might be very good, but he's not on the same level as someone like Ozil, far from it prestige wise.

Özim
29-05-2016, 06:47 PM
He said that after the rumours had been kicking round for weeks. But how serious Wenger was about signing him? Who knows. Thankfully he didn't. Not a fan of Benzema.

Despite that if you believe the press we were still sniffing around, Real were also short in that department so it's hard to see why they would let him go, they don't need the money and didn't have a replacement.

This signing was never going to happen, that much was clear.

Kano
29-05-2016, 07:11 PM
You seemed quite keen for us to at least try for Griezmann, no matter how unrealistic that would of been, so I think you have to apply that same ideology to this. He had said he was more than happy at Atleti too.

Whoever we sign as a striker is going to be a bit of a punt. The best of the best are already tied up elsewhere and I can't see us putting down 70/80m on a player. It would wipe out nearly everything available to spend on the rest of the team.

Marc Overmars
29-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Benzema doesn't strike me as the most driven of players, he's well in his comfort zone at Madrid having reached the pinnacle of his career. I wouldn't turn my nose up at him if he became available but he's 29 this year and I wonder how much hunger there would be for a new challenge.

Özim
29-05-2016, 08:22 PM
You seemed quite keen for us to at least try for Griezmann, no matter how unrealistic that would of been, so I think you have to apply that same ideology to this. He had said he was more than happy at Atleti too.

Whoever we sign as a striker is going to be a bit of a punt. The best of the best are already tied up elsewhere and I can't see us putting down 70/80m on a player. It would wipe out nearly everything available to spend on the rest of the team.

One plays for Real one of the richest clubs and biggest clubs in the world, a club players aspire to play for, the other plays for a much smaller clubs with limited finances, so I'd say Griezzmann is far more realistic, on top of that he hasn't said he's not leaving whereas Benzema did.

I'd rather we signed someone with a good goalscoring record, i.e who has scored a lot of goals where they are rather than someone who hasn't, at least then we'll know they do know where the net is at least.

Toronto Gooner
29-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Why not, form what I can tell Wenger just signs players he likes and occasionally gets pressured into signing someone due to the situtation he puts himself in (Ozil being one),
How many managers will sign a player that they do not like? And players should be bought because they can or will add to the team. We may not agree with the decisions made but we are not the people paid to make those decisions.

KSE Comedy Club
30-05-2016, 07:35 AM
He sure can put a pass long and deep, has good vision during the game and can shoot.

But how long will it take to be frustrated when the bellend players we have don't run down the flanks or try and get on the end of it?

Power n Glory
30-05-2016, 07:36 AM
The real problem here was betting on Giroud again. Wenger knows his shortcomings as a player, knows from previous seasons that he has never scored 20+ goals in the league, knows he can lose confidence and have a barren run but Wenger went with it anyway.

I can understand him being hesitant to spend a fortune on strikers like Benzema and Cavani. I said this last summer. I'm not totally convinced they'd be worth the money either. But he should have been totally convinced that we needed a new option up front. But the fool went ahead with it and tried to tell the world that Giroud was as good as all the other top level strikers in Europe. It's his biggest flaw. He has too much faith in certain players.

Even if he couldn't sign a new striker, I'd have rather had seen him stick to playing Theo up front and trying Sanchez up front. Or Campbell even. Just something different and not the tried and tested which we all knew would fail. Madness.

Özim
30-05-2016, 04:34 PM
How many managers will sign a player that they do not like? And players should be bought because they can or will add to the team. We may not agree with the decisions made but we are not the people paid to make those decisions.

What I meant was that he signs players he likes rather than players we need, that's why we've got loads of central midfielders, the guy has developed an unheatlhy obsession with them and thinks you can have a whole team of them playing in all positions.

Özim
30-05-2016, 04:34 PM

What I meant was that he signs players he likes rather than players we need, that's why we've got loads of central midfielders, the guy has developed an unheatlhy obsession with them and thinks you can have a whole team of them playing in all positions.

Kano
30-05-2016, 05:34 PM

2014 we finished fourth.

Letters
30-05-2016, 09:07 PM
2014 we finished fourth.

Yeah, 3 seasons ago. I meant seasons, I thought that was obvious.

Toronto Gooner
31-05-2016, 01:53 PM

I understand what you are saying. However, I am not 100% certain that the perception is reality. When you look at last season, we had two central midfielders who spent large parts of the season injured: Cazorla and Wilshere; and we had a few midfielders on the periphery, injured, or not performing to expectations: Arteta, Flamini, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Rosicky. Three of these midfielders are leaving this summer and I suspect that at least one other will leave. Taking that into account, the club is not too flush with central midfielders.

Master Splinter
31-05-2016, 03:25 PM
It's good to have the greatest ever Swiss sportsman from Basel at the club.

LDG
31-05-2016, 03:28 PM
It's good to have the greatest ever Swiss sportsman from Basel at the club.

I'm sure Maccy would agree

Özim
08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Wenger first words to Xhaka were:

'If you want to enjoy football, you have to join us. Here is the paradise.'

:lol: What a clown

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/678085/Arsenal-transfer-news-Granit-Xhaka-Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-Premier-League-gossip-rumours

Kano
08-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Let it go, honestly.

Master Splinter
08-06-2016, 05:38 PM
https://resizing.flixster.com/ekKvDFAw4M9KjqYr1V3HT-SDrbg=/413x366/v1.cDsxMDY3MTkyNztqOzE3MDg1OzIwNDg7NDEzOzM2Ng

It's not only Mourinho that has Frank Grimes syndrome regarding Wenger.

Özim
08-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Who says stuff like that?

He still believes the hype that we're entertainers and the muts nuts on the pitch, someone wake him up please.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-06-2016, 06:49 PM
In fairness, a lot still have that perception of us.

McNamara That Ghost...
08-06-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm sure Maccy would agree

Absolutely.

Fed. :lol:

alexander
08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Who says stuff like that?

He still believes the hype that we're entertainers and the muts nuts on the pitch, someone wake him up please.

Yes, what a terrible trait, to believe in his own team. string him up.
He would have been better calling the guy up and saying, "wanna join mate, we are a big pile of wank, but that dont matter does it?"

Özim
08-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Yes, what a terrible trait, to believe in his own team. string him up.
He would have been better calling the guy up and saying, "wanna join mate, we are a big pile of wank, but that dont matter does it?"

Did you read what he said or just ignore it and made some comment based on other people?

Some nonsense about paradise, hardly standard stuff people say, well unless you're a preacher I guess.

Power n Glory
08-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Did you read what he said or just ignore it and made some comment based on other people?

Some nonsense about paradise, hardly standard stuff people say, well unless you're a preacher I guess.

'The Preacher talks paradise.....I live it'

http://www.arsenation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ivan-Gazidis_355.jpg

It's probably paradise for the well paid at the Emirates. :lol: Wenger might be telling the truth.

Kano
08-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I understand what you are saying. However, I am not 100% certain that the perception is reality. When you look at last season, we had two central midfielders who spent large parts of the season injured: Cazorla and Wilshere; and we had a few midfielders on the periphery, injured, or not performing to expectations: Arteta, Flamini, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Rosicky. Three of these midfielders are leaving this summer and I suspect that at least one other will leave. Taking that into account, the club is not too flush with central midfielders.
Absolutely agree. An upgrade on our central midfield was just as important as getting in a striker.

Power n Glory
24-01-2017, 03:46 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/24/granit-xhaka-arsenal-accused-racial-abuse-interviewed-police/

:doh: Can't stay out of trouble.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-01-2017, 03:53 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/24/granit-xhaka-arsenal-accused-racial-abuse-interviewed-police/

:doh: Can't stay out of trouble.

who knew an ethnic albanian muzza could be racist

Marc Overmars
24-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Sell him, he's shit.

GP
24-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Chill out, he wasn't even arrested.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Wow, imagine being that poor precious snowflake official. I weep for him.

It's just not on to abuse one of those pompous, arrogant, smug, officious, jobsworth cunts. Abuse is just totally unacceptable.

A punch in the face is much better. Cunt. What sort of girl calls the police just because somebody called him names? Fucking girly men are taking over.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-01-2017, 04:37 PM

It's just not on to abuse one of those pompous, arrogant, smug, officious, jobsworth cunts. Abuse is just totally unacceptable.

A punch in the face is much better. Cunt. What sort of girl calls the police just because somebody called him names? Fucking girly men are taking over.

No where does it say in the article that the person who was racially abused called the police, but why should he have to put up with it. Calling the police seems a waste of time, but if you can't articulate yourself without swearing or using ethnic slurs than you lose all right to have any of your complaints addressed.

His mate arrived too late for check in, that's policy decided on by airline companies and whatever aviation authority runs the airport.....so a guy on a mid level wage should automatically seek to challenge that policy for someone he doesn't know?.

Power n Glory
24-01-2017, 04:39 PM

Yes, Xhaka should have punched the woman in the face. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Yes, Xhaka should have punched the woman in the face. :lol:

Didn't know is was a lessie. Well slapped her then.

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 04:44 PM
No where does it say in the article that the person who was racially abused called the police, but why should he have to put up with it. Calling the police seems a waste of time, but if you can't articulate yourself without swearing or using ethnic slurs than you lose all right to have any of your complaints addressed.

His mate arrived too late for check in, that's policy decided on by airline companies and whatever aviation authority runs the airport.....so a guy on a mid level wage should automatically seek to challenge that policy for someone he doesn't know?.

Who cares about the facts? It's the trigger issue that counts.

Power n Glory
24-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Didn't know is was a lessie. Well slapped her then.

Or just grab her by the pussy! ;)

Muslims causing trouble at airports again. :rolleyes:

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Or just grab her by the pussy! ;)

Muslims causing trouble at airports again. :rolleyes:

Racist.

AFC Leveller
24-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Some would say he got banned on purpose son he can go on holiday while he serves his 4 game ban.

GP
24-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Is he a muslim?

I've never seen him rape a child.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-01-2017, 04:57 PM
Is he a muslim?

I've never seen him rape a child.

which obviously raises the big concern of how many people have you seen raping children

GP
24-01-2017, 04:58 PM
None since that time I was an intern at the BBC.

Özim
24-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Yeah that's laughable, if he did do what is alleged it's unacceptable, there's rules with airlines (for good reason) and just because because you're some 2 bit superstar doesn't mean different ones apply to you and your friends

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 05:47 PM
What's laughable? Why is is unacceptable?

Guy was late. Bloke said no, you can't get on plane. Xhaka abuses him (maybe not even directly) and walks off. Airline rules upheld, nobody hurt, nothing to see here at all.

Then some nosey cunt gets involved and calls the cops. Only cunt at fault her is the nosey git who should learn to mind his/ her/ its business.

If you are going to abuse somebody then do it properly. If somebody is fat, call them a fat cunt. If somebody is ugly call them an ugly cunt. If somebody is black call them a black cunt. Say whatever is required to cause maximum offence, that's the WHOLE FUCKING POINT of abuse. And expect to get some back or a fist in the face. Big clue here - nobody gets hurt by the words, they get hurt by the fist that flies back at you and that's always the best way to curb abusiveness. Even babies know the sticks and stones rhymes.

But modern pansies have to tell if somebody offends them. Get the big nanny in to hide behind.

Want racism to go away? Then stop making such a big fucking deal about it. Vocal racism is no different than any other form of vocal abuse. Sissy, agenda driven liberals might tell you otherwise but just look how fucked up they are anyway. Whay would you believe a word those cunts say? What if I call somebody ugly? They can't help being ugly. Should that be banned? So why is singling out a skin colour different? It isn't. Same as fags. Why do they get special treatment?

This bloody silliness has to stop. There are so many real issues in the world but all people want to do is worry about who said what and how much it's going to cost to fit a new transgender bog. People are fucking crazy.

Coney
24-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Guy was late. Bloke said no, you can't get on plane. Xhaka abuses him (maybe not even directly) and walks off. Airline rules upheld, nobody hurt, nothing to see here at all.

Then some nosey cunt gets involved and calls the cops. Only cunt at fault her is the nosey git who should learn to mind his/ her/ its business.

If you are going to abuse somebody then do it properly. If somebody is fat, call them a fat cunt. If somebody is ugly call them an ugly cunt. If somebody is black call them a black cunt. Say whatever is required to cause maximum offence, that's the WHOLE FUCKING POINT of abuse. And expect to get some back or a fist in the face. Big clue here - nobody gets hurt by the words, they get hurt by the fist that flies back at you and that's always the best way to curb abusiveness. Even babies know the sticks and stones rhymes.

But modern pansies have to tell if somebody offends them. Get the big nanny in to hide behind.

Want racism to go away? Then stop making such a big fucking deal about it. Vocal racism is no different than any other form of vocal abuse. Sissy, agenda driven liberals might tell you otherwise but just look how fucked up they are anyway. Whay would you believe a word those cunts say? What if I call somebody ugly? They can't help being ugly. Should that be banned? So why is singling out a skin colour different? It isn't. Same as fags. Why do they get special treatment?

This bloody silliness has to stop. There are so many real issues in the world but all people want to do is worry about who said what and how much it's going to cost to fit a new transgender bog. People are fucking crazy.

Yeah - but when we call you a **** you get all uptight about it.

Xhaka Can’t
24-01-2017, 09:50 PM

A four star General?

Niall_Quinn
24-01-2017, 09:51 PM

Yeah, but the stupid police refused to come out.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-01-2017, 10:35 PM

Are you Fifa? You forgot the mike is still on....

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Want racism to go away? Then stop making such a big fucking deal about it. :haha: Absolute loon!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Given that this was a third party complaint, I think the only sensible thing to do is to withhold judgement until we get more information. From what i can gather the abuse was made in German so the complainant was either German or understood German.

I think it's very easy to get exasperated with people who deal with customers/the public. I can understand the frustration of people i have to deal with in my line of work, but unless you yourself are being abusive or snotty there is no reason to be abusive to those who are just doing their job. Now unless i know what Granit Xhaka specifically said or did you can't necessarily apply this to his case, but if you ever watched programs like Airline back in the day it's the desk staff who often bore the brunt of being the messenger of bad news.

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Given that this was a third party complaint, I think the only sensible thing to do is to withhold judgement until we get more information. From what i can gather the abuse was made in German so the complainant was either German or understood German.

I think it's very easy to get exasperated with people who deal with customers/the public. I can understand the frustration of people i have to deal with in my line of work, but unless you yourself are being abusive or snotty there is no reason to be abusive to those who are just doing their job. Now unless i know what Granit Xhaka specifically said or did you can't necessarily apply this to his case, but if you ever watched programs like Airline back in the day it's the desk staff who often bore the brunt of being the messenger of bad news.

It’s that ‘the customers always right’ attitude. Manners just go out the window for some people when they know someone else has to serve them.

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 11:10 AM
:haha: Absolute loon!

So you want to believe. But the fact remains, by banning people from speaking you do not also prevent them thinking or feeling. Crazed liberals seem to believe that if you can coerce people into behaving in a certain way then you will eventually mentally beat them into believing in the purpose and intent behind that behaviour. Not so, in fact you get the opposite. All bar the braindead hang on to their beliefs grimly. We have seen this time and again throughout history. I can't prove it but I'd still be prepared to guarantee that not a single racist has ever changed their views by being coerced. Education is another thing, of course, and the correct way to go about influencing and appealing to minds. But even then, the liberals swap in propaganda and call it education. They are incorrigible and corrupt to the core.

But anyway, seeing as you have been triggered, explain to me why calling people ugly should not be made a criminal offence. Or perhaps you believe it should be an offence? Let's tick off the bullshit liberal checklist.

Are ugly people born that way? - Yes
Can ugly people help the way they appear? - No
Are ugly people discriminated against? - Oh yes, at the most fundamental level and in numerous ways. Wo gets the job? The bimbo or the hound? Who's the popular girl at school? Who hooks the best marriage? Who makes it onto the TV screen? And so on. But this is all normalised. Judging people by the appearance and responding favourably or unfavourably can be quite natural in the cases we all agree on. But totally unacceptable for the case we are triggered by, of course.

So if I want to call somebody an ugly bitch, by the same bullshit standard as the racism crusade, this should be illegal, right? Because, you know, the bitch's feelings might get hurt and that might lead to discrimination and if that can be a crime in a racial context then why not make it a crime in this context?

What about people with ginger hair? Tall people? Short people?

Of course when you examine the liberal racism hysteria in detail you discover people like Tony Blair and Bill Clinton. And so many others like them. Scumbags who are always at the forefront of condemning speech and yet perversely addicted to bombing the shit out of certain racial groups. The hypocrisy is staggering but generally ignored as it certainly doesn't assist with the PR campaigns. These bastards also had the influence to modify or eradicate the stranglehold the "civilised" west has over the "third world" people of colour in terms of economic slavery. So what did they support? Structural adjustment programs of course, and why not because who among the social justice warriors who leap up and down at mere words ever has time to pay attention to the horrendous realities of slavery in the "developing" nations? It's kind of nice to enjoy a privileged standard of living while perched on the back of a billion slaves, right? No need to upset that applecart.

Yes, unfortunately it is true, liberals are the worst example of racists we can find. They make the Klan look like social workers when you go beyond the words and examine the actions. But actions don't speak louder than words in our comfortable societies. It's ALL about the words and if you make a big enough fuss then the actions just disappear, never to be spoken of.

Give me an honest man any day of the week. I might not agree with his views but I'd rather know what they are so I can understand that person in the correct context. Give me some hysterical fuck who dances like a puppet based on what words are being mentioned at any given time but remains inanimate in the face of actual harm and I'll piss on him if I can be bothered.

Letters
25-01-2017, 11:18 AM
I had a bus driver call the police on me last week :lol:
We had a bit of a dispute about whether I'd put my Oyster card on the reader (I had and thought it had beeped, apparently it hadn't).
He was being quite rude to me so in the end I got cross and said "Just drive the bus, that's your job!"
Bit rude of me but I didn't swear at him and I wasn't shouting, I was just a bit miffed by his attitude.
He ordered me off the bus! :lol: Fun that! I told him to stop being silly and others on the bus agreed. So he radioed through to get the police called :blink:
I did apologise to him as I had been a bit rude (he didn't apologise even though he had too) and he said "I don't accept your apology". Meh.
The next bus wasn't due for a while so I just stayed on the bus. Police bloke arrived and said "I've got better things to do than this". I said "I'm sure you have, I didn't call you!".
By this time the next bus was only a couple of minutes away so I got on that.

I fought the law and...well, I guess I lost :lol:
Bit surprised the police bloke sided with the driver, I guess that's their default stance to make life easy for themselves but unless someone is abusive or violent a bus driver surely can't just refuse to have someone on their bus because they're having a bad day. Meh.

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 11:27 AM
We had a bit of a dispute about whether I'd put my Oyster card on the reader (I had and thought it had beeped, apparently it hadn't).
He was being quite rude to me so in the end I got cross and said "Just drive the bus, that's your job!"
Bit rude of me but I didn't swear at him and I wasn't shouting, I was just a bit miffed by his attitude.
He ordered me off the bus! :lol: Fun that! I told him to stop being silly and others on the bus agreed. So he radioed through to get the police called :blink:
I did apologise to him as I had been a bit rude (he didn't apologise even though he had too) and he said "I don't accept your apology". Meh.
The next bus wasn't due for a while so I just stayed on the bus. Police bloke arrived and said "I've got better things to do than this". I said "I'm sure you have, I didn't call you!".

Bit surprised the police bloke sided with the driver, I guess that's their default stance to make life easy for themselves but unless someone is abusive or violent a bus driver surely can't just refuse to have someone on their bus because they're having a bad day. Meh.

It works both ways. Some drivers can be complete dicks and have zero manners or don't know how to handle a situation without causing a bigger issue.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 11:28 AM
NQ I can't help but feel your making a political issue out of something that isn't, am i broadly sympathetic with your point about free speech and what you call Liberal (i call regressive left, i consider myself liberal and i have very little in common with these people) trying to police language and ideas...yeah of course i hate people who try to shut down an argument that way....if you had a strong argument you wouldn't need to do it.

But first of all Racism is far more than just crass abusive language, if it wasn't we wouldn't have had genocides down the thousands of years of human civilisation

And whilst language in of itself can't hurt people, if you believe you can treat someone less respectfully as a result of their race and make that race the totality of who they are you are essentially dehumanising them. And whilst yes policing language I agree is counter productive, it's equally unnecessary to make such comments in the first place.

Secondly this issue is more about civility, it's about someone not getting their own way and resorting to abuse, whether that should be a crime or not is one thing whether we want to encourage people that that's an acceptable way of getting their grievances addressed is something else and that applies to anything personally stated to the individual.

"I'm sorry you are too late to check in"

"You are a stupid fat ugly whore who no man would ever touch, it makes me feel sick just to look at you"

What exactly are you hoping for?, I'm not sure the police should get involved but in the above example I have cited, the airline company would have every right to refuse to serve you and ban you from their airline in future for insulting one of their staff.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Whilst I agree with you that the driver was in the wrong, you are in a no win situation. The driver has the right to refuse passage to so-called awkward passengers and you have refused to leave the bus when he has asked you to. The police shouldn't have been called, all he needed to do was ask you politely to re-scan your Oyster and this guy sounds like a dick who was more interested in making himself seem big than doing his job.

Did you get a warning from the police?......was it in writing?

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 11:36 AM
NQ is a loony. He himself will be the first to point out that racism goes far beyond abusive words but then makes idiotic statements such as...

Want racism to go away? Then stop making such a big fucking deal about it. :rolleyes:

Just stop already.

Letters
25-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Did you get a warning from the police?......was it in writing?
No. I hadn't done anything wrong :shrug:. I think the policeman know that but for the sake of getting on with his day and on to more important matters just asked me to get off the bus which, as he had some actual authority and not pretend authority like the bus driver or like I do, I did. The driver actually related events to him fairly accurately so it was clear I hadn't done anything worthy of action. At that point the policeman should, in my view, have told the driver to stop being so precious but I guess the easier path, as I'd got off the bus by then, was to leave it. All very silly.

It was in Edmonton, obviously...

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 11:47 AM
I can't help but feel your making a political issue out of something that isn't, am i broadly sympathetic with your issue about free speech and what you call Liberal (i call regressive left, i consider myself liberal and i have very little in common with these people) trying to police language and ideas...yeah of course i hate trying to shut down an argument that way....if you had a strong argument you wouldn't need to do it.

But first of all Racism is far more than just crass abusive language, if it wasn't we wouldn't have had genocides down the thousands of years of human civilisation

And whilst language in of itself can't hurt people, if you believe you can treat someone less respectfully as a result of their race and make that race the totality of who they are you are essentially dehumanising them. And whilst yes policing language I agree is counter productive, it's equally unnecessary to make such comments in the first place.

Secondly this issue is more about civility, it's about someone not getting their own way and resorting to abuse, whether that should be a crime or not is one thing whether we want to encourage people that that's an acceptable way of getting their grievances addressed is something else and that applies to anything personally stated to the individual.

"I'm sorry you are too late to check in"

"You are a stupid fat ugly whore who no man would ever touch, it makes me feel sick just to look at you"

What exactly are you hoping for?, I'm not sure the police should get involved but in the above example I have cited, the airline company would have every right to refuse to serve you and ban you from their airline in future for insulting one of their staff.

You are correct, but you are only reinforcing my point.

The situation at the airport is a private matter. Sounds like it had been resolved before some arsehole intervened. Nobody wants to be on the end of abuse and abuse is almost always counterproductive. This is all obvious stuff that every non-liberal can understand without straining the brain cells.

But check the arsehole who intervened and the subsequent newspaper coverage. RACIAL ISSUE! ALERT! What business of it is of theirs and why do they want to blow it up into something 50 times bigger than it was? This is the social conditioning and triggering I'm talking about. These are the people I want to kick in the teeth.

"I'm telling", is one one of the most childish responses imaginable for supposed adults. Deal with your own problems, stand on your own two feet. Stop looking for a nanny state that absolutely does not have your best interests at heart to bail you out of every life situation you find uncomfortable. It's for the person behind the desk to decide what happens. Me, I'd laugh it off, obviously, maybe wave a boarding pass around and then snatch it away. Others might want a colleague to come over and help, strength in numbers and all. Others might decide they want to take things further.

But how do you possibly explain the absolute cunt who poked their nose in and called the cops? There's no excuse for cunts like that. And that's what we have today, roving gangs of highly sensitive arseholes tuned into every human interaction to determine if there's an opportunity to tell nanny. Fucking little Nazi sympathisers who'd shop their own mother for a bit of mock credit, self satisfaction and social kudos in a sick society. THEY are offended on behalf of strangers FFS! The sheer arrogance of it. Who the fuck are they and from where do they draw their authority to intervene?

Now if Xhaka leaps over the counter and starts kicking seven shades out of his victim, or if he's right in his/ her/ its face screaming abuse and frightening the shit out of her and causing him/ her/ it tangible distress, sure thing, you intervene. But something muttered under the breath overheard by a busybody cunt who then leaps in to save the world? Fuck them. And fuck the media for making this the headline in a world where FIFA literally kills poor people so it can make more money.

Yes, racism certainly is more than language. That's my point. We go all hysterical at the language and ignore every other aspect. That's what I can't stand and that's why I have nothing but the deepest, bottomless contempt for the liberal cunts who think they have a fucking clue what's going on in this world, let alone be prepared to do something about it. Damn it, I loathe the cunts.

By liberal I mean the new version, the comfortable cunts who are oh so concerned about the world that they happily take advantage of and defend to the hilt should somebody point out the puss beneath the painted scab. we are witnessing this in all its glory in the States right now. Shoot the cop in the head because love trumps hate and all that shit.

What was I hoping for? I was hoping I was there so I could put my fist through the nose of that goodfornothing busybody cunt so it couldn't be stuck into places it didn't belong in the future.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 11:48 AM
No. I hadn't done anything wrong :shrug:. I think the policeman know that but for the sake of getting on with his day and on to more important matters just asked me to get off the bus which, as he had some actual authority and not pretend authority like the bus driver or like I do, I did. The driver actually related events to him fairly accurately so it was clear I hadn't done anything worthy of action. At that point the policeman should, in my view, have told the driver to stop being so precious but I guess the easier path, as I'd got off the bus by then, was to leave it. All very silly.

Well it could have technically been an arrest to prevent breach of the peace (would have been ridiculously over the top but Police get positive citations for write ups)

The problem is they can't say anything to him, because as i've stated he has the right to eject "awkward customers". And this is one of those instances where i am more sympathetic between what NQ calls the difference between the law and the spirit of the law.

My advice to you?.....i work for the police and i know that whilst the vast majority are decent, hard working individuals there is always some complete arse hole who could have made an example of you. Breach of the peace is something that will appear on a PNC record if you are ever applying for certain jobs, and as hard as it is to swallow the law is on Adolf Hitler the bus driver's side....so i wouldn't wait until the police arrive in the unlikely event that you find yourself in such a situation next time.

Also stay away from Canadian Public Transport if their employees are going to be like that.

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 11:55 AM
NQ is a loony. He himself will be the first to point out that racism goes far beyond abusive words but then makes idiotic statements such as...

:rolleyes:

Just stop already.

OMG. Ridiculing the mentally challenged! Somebody call the cops. A crime has been committed. Feelings have been hurt. Offence has occurred, call the army, call the queen. Get nanny.

Want to live in a world where I can get you arrested for what you just typed?

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 11:59 AM

If he's ASKED you to get off the bus and made that optional then he's done his job which, whether he remembers it or not, is to protect the peace. If he ordered you off the bus then he's incompetent and a threat to society. What did the other passengers do, just sit there? They paid their money to take a bus ride. I'd be pissed if a shitty, uppity bus driver ws arguing with passengers rather than driving the damn bus to the place I paid to go. Definitely I'd have stood up and said DRIVE THE FUCKING BUS!

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 12:06 PM
OMG. Ridiculing the mentally challenged! Somebody call the cops. A crime has been committed. Feelings have been hurt. Offence has occurred, call the army, call the queen. Get nanny.

Want to live in a world where I can get you arrested for what you just typed?

Sure. Why not.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 12:10 PM
If he's ASKED you to get off the bus and made that optional then he's done his job which, whether he remembers it or not, is to protect the peace. If he ordered you off the bus then he's incompetent and a threat to society. What did the other passengers do, just sit there? They paid their money to take a bus ride. I'd be pissed if a shitty, uppity bus driver ws arguing with passengers rather than driving the damn bus to the place I paid to go. Definitely I'd have stood up and said DRIVE THE FUCKING BUS!

Yeah pretty much

I had a similar issue in which these two kids were trying to get on the bus with an expired ticket, and arguing with the bus driver to let them on

To be fair the kids were annoying rather than abusive and the bus driver said "look this bus is going nowhere with you on board and there are plenty of people who want to get to where they are going"

I told the kids to walk, saying it wouldn't kill them. They said "why don't you lend me the money for the journey" I said "because i don't want to lend you the money, i want you to get off the bus"

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Sure. Why not.

Well you're in luck then, aren't you? Enjoy.

Letters
25-01-2017, 12:32 PM

He didn't make it sound optional. When he asked me to get off I said "Can I tell you what happened first" and he told me to get off the bus first and then went to speak to the driver.
The other passengers mostly sat there and tutted, as is the way in London. A couple of the guys at the front of the bus who had seen what happened did tell the driver to get going but he was having none of it.
Interestingly none of them formed an angry mob and told me to get off the bus which makes me think I hadn't done too much wrong.
One by one the other passengers gave up and got off the bus, by the time the police arrived I was the only one on there. It was my Rosa Parks moment :lol:
I'll take on board HCZ's advice but frankly it was the principle of the thing, you can't have bus drivers refusing to drive a bus-load of people over the slightest incident. Except apparently you can. :shrug:
He claimed I'd insulted him, all I did was say he's a bus driver and should drive the bus. If he thinks that's an insult then he's doing the wrong job. Silly sod.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, to reiterate you are completley in the right and if i witnessed such a situation i would just say look he's a paying customer can't you just drive the bus.

I've been pretty short with bus drivers myself in the past, the best one was when i didn't have change and he said "well just go to the shop and get some and i'll wait" and i made the point "well how is it my problem if you don't have change, there is nothing this bus company says about carrying the correct change"

In the end he decided he'd show me up by taking my money and then getting the change from the shop himself, he thought he'd try and guilt me and make me feel silly....I didn't care, i got the change and i didn't have to do anything to get it.

Letters
25-01-2017, 12:51 PM
I think you need to have to have a certain temperament to do that job, they must get a lot of stick and while I shouldn't have been rude to him it was prompted by him being rude to me first.
I should have got his driver number and made a proper complaint really, doubt it would have got me anywhere though.

Niall_Quinn
25-01-2017, 02:24 PM
I try to stay indoors as much as possible. Saves all the trouble. When I do go out to forage I try to stay away from people as much as possible, particularly the ones with mobile phones. I find if you don't attract their attention they will shuffle on straight by you. Still haven't found a solution for post offices though. I don't think you can do much about post offices.

GP
25-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Shoulda stabbed them both.

Xhaka Can’t
25-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Well it could have technically been an arrest to prevent breach of the peace (would have been ridiculously over the top but Police get positive citations for write ups)

The problem is they can't say anything to him, because as i've stated he has the right to eject "awkward customers". And this is one of those instances where i am more sympathetic between what NQ calls the difference between the law and the spirit of the law.

My advice to you?.....i work for the police and i know that whilst the vast majority are decent, hard working individuals there is always some complete arse hole who could have made an example of you. Breach of the peace is something that will appear on a PNC record if you are ever applying for certain jobs, and as hard as it is to swallow the law is on Adolf Hitler the bus driver's side....so i wouldn't wait until the police arrive in the unlikely event that you find yourself in such a situation next time.

Also stay away from Canadian Public Transport if their employees are going to be like that.

Edmonton is a shithole no matter what country you're in.

AFC Leveller
26-01-2017, 08:17 AM

London bus drivers are stressed out and....BORED! they want entertainment in their day and you were an opportunity too good to turn down.

Niall_Quinn
26-01-2017, 08:47 AM
London bus drivers are stressed out and....BORED! they want entertainment in their day and you were an opportunity too good to turn down.

True, they quickly get bored of cutting up drivers and pulling out on them whether there's breaking distance or not. "Let the bus go first", is not a request, it's safety advice.

Letters
26-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Edmonton is a shithole no matter what country you're in.

True dat.

Niall_Quinn
26-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has warned Granit Xhaka not to tackle in games for fear of the midfielder picking up yet another red card.

'I think he's not naturally a great tackler,' said Wenger.

'In his decision making I think he is quite intelligent on the pitch. But it's more the way he tackles that is not really convincing.

'He doesn't master well the technique. I would encourage him not to tackle, to stay on his feet. Tackling is a technique that you learn at a young age.

'You can improve it but when you are face-to-face with somebody, it's better you stay up.'

Regarding the busybody cunt at the airport who called the police instead of doing the world a favour and dropping dead:

'He denies it completely,' said Wenger. 'I have talked with him about it and he completely denies what happened there.'

So our scouts and and the vast bank of statistical tools and the manager's own appraisal failed to spot this rather fundamental flaw in our £32mill central midfielder? Is that an oversight. I think it maybe is.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has warned Granit Xhaka not to tackle in games for fear of the midfielder picking up yet another red card.

Regarding the busybody cunt at the airport who called the police instead of doing the world a favour and dropping dead:

So our scouts and and the vast bank of statistical tools and the manager's own appraisal failed to spot this rather fundamental flaw in our £32mill central midfielder? Is that an oversight. I think it maybe is.

It's like buying a leaf blower to replace your broken vacuum cleaner and then deciding six months later that it probably shouldn't be used to vacuum the carpet although you will continue to use it to vacuum the carpet.

Marc Overmars
26-01-2017, 04:24 PM
He could probably get away with being a shit tackler if he had a decent temperament, but he's made a rod for his own back with his unnecessarily spikey demeanour. I remember he was fouled during the Burnley game, a nothing incident, but for some reason he decides to square up to the player afterwards. Absolutely pointless.

Nothing wrong with being aggressive, just make sure you keep your cool and don't keep drawing attention to yourself.

Özim
27-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Completely the wrong signing, had a history of being sent off I believe and now we find out that our manager doesn't want our DM to tackle because he's rubbish at it, you couldn't make it up! :lol:

Was somewhat puzzled when I saw up stump up a load of cash for someone I (and quite a few) never heard of, not too surprised to see he's not really up to the task we need him to perform.

Mind you this makes sense, Wenger likes powderpuff teams who can easily be intimidated and don't tackle, it gives him an excuse when a team roughs us up.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Your logic is exceptional, so Wenger isn't an incompetent he's actually purposely self sabotaging.

If you'd simply said Wenger had naused it up and got the wrong player for the position he wanted him to play than yeah fair enough i don't disagree with you

But no it has to be malevolence on his part.

Özim
27-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Your logic is exceptional, so Wenger isn't an incompetent he's actually purposely self sabotaging.

If you'd simply said Wenger had naused it up and got the wrong player for the position he wanted him to play than yeah fair enough i don't disagree with you

But no it has to be malevolence on his part.

Where did I say that, all I said was Wenger likes teams that aren't physical, tackling isn't overly necessary to him, the fact he's told Xhaka not to tackle reenforces that. He didn't buy Xhaka to parade around intimidating the opposition with tough tackling, he bought him for his passing, it wasn't an incompetent decision in the sense that he knew what he was getting, it was however in the grand scheme of things when we absolutely needed a tough tackling dominating DM.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2017, 11:35 AM
How much have we spent in the last 3 seasons? We could have had 2-3 real world beating additions to the team, that elusive 2% we've been chasing for how long now? By "chasing" I mean running in the opposite direction whenever a Vidal pops up. 30-40 mill on him, 90mill on a striker. I think we'd still have money left over for a world class wide man. It could have been done.

Instead we did this.

Özim
27-01-2017, 11:44 AM
How much have we spent in the last 3 seasons? We could have had 2-3 real world beating additions to the team, that elusive 2% we've been chasing for how long now? By "chasing" I mean running in the opposite direction whenever a Vidal pops up. 30-40 mill on him, 90mill on a striker. I think we'd still have money left over for a world class wide man. It could have been done.

Instead we did this.

Spot on we're constantly wasting money on nobodies not up to the task, all this because Wenger doesn't want to sign established players where possible and won't pay the going rate.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 11:52 AM
So your definition of an established player is whether you personally have heard of them or not

I'd heard of Granit Xhaka two years before we signed him, it's abundantly clear that he was looking to sign someone to replace Mikel Arteta

And he obviously believes he has Coquelin and Elneny to do the more physical work

Do i think he should have signed someone like Kante or Vidal the season before....yeah of course he should have...who knows what his criteria is for signing players, it seems clear to me it's based on too much loyalty to the players he has (didn't sign Vidal because he had coquelin and flamini)

My question to you, is if he's deliberately always trying to make his teams a soft touch why does he constantly persist with Coquelin even in games where it's patently unnecessary and stifles our creativity.

Özim
27-01-2017, 12:01 PM
So your definition of an established player is whether you personally have heard of them or not

I'd heard of Granit Xhaka two years before we signed him, it's abundantly clear that he was looking to sign someone to replace Mikel Arteta

And he obviously believes he has Coquelin and Elneny to do the more physical work

Do i think he should have signed someone like Kante or Vidal the season before....yeah of course he should have...who knows what his criteria is for signing players, it seems clear to me it's based on too much loyalty to the players he has (didn't sign Vidal because he had coquelin and flamini)

My question to you, is if he's deliberately always trying to make his teams a soft touch why does he constantly persist with Coquelin even in games where it's patently unnecessary and stifles our creativity.

An established player is someone who has been there and performed at the higest level IMO, Xhaka hadn't, he;d had a few seasons for one of the teams in the Bundesligua that make up the numbers, hardly great.

Is it deliberate, not in the sense that's he looks at his teams and wants the to be weak, but his choices of players seem to be based around passing, that's what he looks for as that's his preferred style of play, if they can pass they can fit in, other attributes like shooting, tackling, leadership etc aren't important to him.

This inevitably ends up with us signing weaker players, as generally passers are not your physical types, he's basically obsessed with this passing game because he thinks it constitutes great football, 10+ years of evidence suggest it doesn't.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 12:08 PM
An established player is someone who has been there and performed at the higest level IMO, Xhaka hadn't, he;d had a few seasons for one of the teams in the Bundesligua that make up the numbers, hardly great.

Is it deliberate, not in the sense that's he looks at his teams and wants the to be weak, but his choices of players seem to be based around passing, that's what he looks for as that's his preferred style of play, if they can pass they can fit in, other attributes like shooting, tackling, leadership etc aren't important to him.

This inevitably ends up with us signing weaker players, as generally passers are not your physical types, he's basically obsessed with this passing game because he thinks it constitutes great football, 10+ years of evidence suggest it doesn't.

How many top sides have players that are purely physical players that have no technical ability. Kante is excellent at tackling and pass interceptions but he can also distribute the ball well.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2017, 12:11 PM
He's also signed Ozil, Alexis and Cech, and spent a fair few quid on the first two (though there's still that element of circumstantial bargain attached to both). But good signings. So it's a complete mystery how he can then go out and sign some of the dross he signs. When Ozil was signed that should have been the moment when we said this is our new standard, we don't go lower than this, when we sign a player that player is world class and therefore suitable for a world class club like Arsenal. Of course that was the same window where he brought Sanogo in. How do you square away those two signings? It's bizarre stuff.

Then he splashed 100mill and brought Alexis and Cech in for 45-50 leaving potentially 50-60mill in that pot. We desperately needed a top striker and everyone knew that. He brought in: Debuchy, Opsina, Chambers, Welbeck, Bielik and Gabriel. The gulf in quality is evident again and we all remember how Welbeck was ushered in at the death to calm the fans' fears of a lack of striking options. How many of those players are regulars? Of course the two quality players start all the time - obviously. The rest of them, you could count the games between them on your fingers and toes. What might be have spent that 50-60mill on? The chavs spent 32mill on Costa. Liverpool got Firmino for 29mill.

Niall_Quinn
27-01-2017, 12:15 PM

I think that's the problem right there, he was looking to replace Arteta. It was a top tier replacement for an ageing Cazorla we really needed, and still need. The difference between the safe and reliable but unadventurous Arteta and the two footed, forward thinking, fast and technical Cazorla is marked. Xhaka, ElNeny, Coquelin, Ramsey, Wilshere, none of them can play that role. And it's costing us for a second season running.

Özim
27-01-2017, 12:23 PM
How many top sides have players that are purely physical players that have no technical ability. Kante is excellent at tackling and pass interceptions but he can also distribute the ball well.

What am saying is that most players have a particualr strength, yes there are some who are all rounders but it's they're the exception rather than the rule.

Wenger is interested in players that pass, he is happy to overlook other skills that might be beneficial to us if that player has that attribute.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 12:30 PM
I think that's the problem right there, he was looking to replace Arteta. It was a top tier replacement for an ageing Cazorla we really needed, and still need. The difference between the safe and reliable but unadventurous Arteta and the two footed, forward thinking, fast and technical Cazorla is marked. Xhaka, ElNeny, Coquelin, Ramsey, Wilshere, none of them can play that role. And it's costing us for a second season running.

Oh i don't disagree, but the reason we haven't signed a top tier replacement for Cazorla is the reason he didn't replace Arteta until he actually left the club, he's still with us.

I think Wilshere is the closest to being able to replicate what Cazorla does, which made it bizarre for me that he went out on loan.

Globalgunner
27-01-2017, 01:26 PM
First he told him not to shoot. Now not to tackle. Only at Arsenal!. Can tackling not be taught. The boys problem is mental as well as technical. Goes more to show the mindset at this club. Instead of getting someone in like Gilberto, who hardly ever got a yellow in his whole career talk less of red to teach the art of tackling. We coddle these players instead of improving them. Xhaka now knows its the whole worlds fault not his own. He will now be routinely targeted by other teams as a easy source of gaining possession. 23 years old and cant be taught how to tackle, only metronomic passing is left for him. Happy days!

Globalgunner
27-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Oh i don't disagree, but the reason we haven't signed a top tier replacement for Cazorla is the reason he didn't replace Arteta until he actually left the club, he's still with us.

I think Wilshere is the closest to being able to replicate what Cazorla does, which made it bizarre for me that he went out on loan.

Wilshere is not half the player Cazorla was. We routinely lost possession courtesy of Wilshere, and always when mounting attacks. He cost us a lot of goals as he would sit on his arse pleading with the ref, while the other team sped away to score. He can come back after being taught something about keeping possession somewhere else, otherwise another total liability.

I recall the miserable days of a jack and Aaron midfield....a terrible pairing. One thinks he is Lampard, the other thinks he is Johann Cruyff.

GP
27-01-2017, 01:44 PM
First he told him not to shoot. Now not to tackle.

No he didn't.

Globalgunner
27-01-2017, 02:02 PM
No he didn't.

Ok. If you say so.

Power n Glory
27-01-2017, 02:09 PM
What am saying is that most players have a particualr strength, yes there are some who are all rounders but it's they're the exception rather than the rule.

Wenger is interested in players that pass, he is happy to overlook other skills that might be beneficial to us if that player has that attribute.

It's the same old problem we had back in the early days where we had the same sort of player. Passers and not enough finishers. He always looks for a player that can pass. It blinds him. What attracted him to signing Chamakh is what attracted him to signing Giroud. Without a doubt, if either player were incapable of playing short link up passes and flicks around the edge of the box, he'd never have signed them.

Xhaka has been a waste of money and it's odd that he's only just know discovered that he can't tackle. What the heck were they watching when scouting him? My hunch is this purchase has been made off the back of that stat crunching machine we've invested money in. They were probably blown away by the passing percentages produced each week and snapped him up. Idiots.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 02:12 PM
The only thing i'd say if that if he wanted every player in his side to be a passer he wouldn't persist so much with Coquelin

Or Ramsey for that matter :lol:

Power n Glory
27-01-2017, 02:25 PM
The only thing i'd say if that if he wanted every player in his side to be a passer he wouldn't persist so much with Coquelin

Or Ramsey for that matter :lol:

Most players. Not all. You can add Theo to that equation. Ox also. Coquelin had to struggle to get into the first team because he wanted to play more as a CM and not DM. Wenger didn't trust him to play there and would often play him as a wingback also. His story is similar to Alex Song's. Both were being pushed to played in defence and had to force their way past less physical players to get their first team start. Coquelin's not a great playmaker but it's not as if he's reckless and gives the ball away.

Also, what Ramsey, Theo and Ox all want to play through the middle but can't pass that well. To make up for it, Wenger will often play them in a wide position.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Most players. Not all. You can add Theo to that equation. Ox also. Coquelin had to struggle to get into the first team because he wanted to play more as a CM and not DM. Wenger didn't trust him to play there and would often play him as a wingback also. His story is similar to Alex Song's. Both were being pushed to played in defence and had to force their way past less physical players to get their first team start. Coquelin's not a great playmaker but it's not as if he's reckless and gives the ball away.

Also, what Ramsey, Theo and Ox all want to play through the middle but can't pass that well. To make up for it, Wenger will often play them in a wide position.

Oh i've no doubt he has modelled Arsenal on the Barcelona model, but i think above all of that there are just players he likes to play who he won't drop unless their form is consistently bad for such a long period that it's already too late by the time he has changed things.

selassie
27-01-2017, 03:05 PM
First he told him not to shoot. Now not to tackle. Only at Arsenal!. Can tackling not be taught. The boys problem is mental as well as technical. Goes more to show the mindset at this club. Instead of getting someone in like Gilberto, who hardly ever got a yellow in his whole career talk less of red to teach the art of tackling. We coddle these players instead of improving them. Xhaka now knows its the whole worlds fault not his own. He will now be routinely targeted by other teams as a easy source of gaining possession. 23 years old and cant be taught how to tackle, only metronomic passing is left for him. Happy days!

:lol:

selassie
16-02-2017, 06:44 AM
I know we have many problems in the team and the root cause of a lot of these issues is Wenger, but why did we buy this guy?

We have spent 35million on him and he looks no better than anything we already have. To make things worse this guy is arguably our least mobile midfielder. Tactically he's all at sea too. He's a garbage signing.

The more money Wenger has spent on Central Midfield the worse it gets.

Özim
16-02-2017, 09:17 AM
I was very sceptical about this guy, really came with no pedigree and we massively overpaid, waste of money I think.

Power n Glory
16-02-2017, 10:23 AM
I know we have many problems in the team and the root cause of a lot of these issues is Wenger, but why did we buy this guy?

We have spent 35million on him and he looks no better than anything we already have. To make things worse this guy is arguably our least mobile midfielder. Tactically he's all at sea too. He's a garbage signing.

The more money Wenger has spent on Central Midfield the worse it gets.

It’s a terrible purchase, especially when you consider how much he cost and the fact he was our first signing. He doesn’t fulfil a single need in this team and I have no clue what our scouts were watching or why Wenger thought he’d be a hit. He creates a tactical problem for us. I knew Wenger would play Coquelin last night because he doesn’t trust Xhaka when it comes to defending. He’s pretty poor. He can’t press players and he’s bloody reckless so he needs a tackler next to him if we’re up against a team that can dominate us on possession.

But….he’s also very easy to mark out of the game. Get tight on him and the ball will be played backwards or sideways, he can’t beat the press and with Coquelin as a partner, it becomes way too easy to keep us pinned in our own half.

Partnering him with Ox and Elneny is risky because it leaves us light on defence, play him with Coq and we’re light on recycling the ball and that platform to build attacks. Only possible solution I see is to play a 4-3-3 with Xhaka, Coquelin and either Elneny or Ox but that means we have to abandon that number 10 role. You already know my thoughts on Ozil and after living up to his reputation again, I’m not sure what to do with him. Play him on the left like we do with Iwobi and we’ll get even less work from him on defence and the same another none aggressive winger imposter that’s just content drifting inside and playing more short passes instead of driving forward and carrying the ball.

This is why Wenger has to go. Even if he eventually stumbles upon a combination that functions, like how we stumbled upon Coq/Santi, he hasn’t got the common sense to the follow the blueprint and buy players that have the key ingredients to make it work. How the fuck do you end up buying another Arteta after you’ve seen we need mobility and aggression in the midfield and not just another precision passer? Stumbles upon Ox being the closest player solving that issue and he fucks it up again. Hard to explain it without the insults but it’s brainless. I’d have more respect for him if he’d experiment more with the selection and formation but he doesn’t. From as early as the Man City pre season game in the first half, we could see that Xhaka and Coquelin wasn’t going to work and only when Elneny was introduced did we start to bypass there pressing.