Benzema 28
Suarez 29
Vardy 29

Static
04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
About time we had a grafter upfront

Özim
04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
A one season wonder, reliant on pace he won't have in a year or two. Middle of the road signing for a middle of the road club.

Wenger will be thrilled though because he's cheap just like him.

Kano
04-06-2016, 11:38 AM
A one season wonder, reliant on pace he won't have in a year or two. Middle of the road signing for a middle of the road club.

Wenger will be thrilled though because he's cheap just like him.

Honestly you have to be impressed by how every one of your posts, every single one, manages to have a dig. That is what you call consistency. No idea how you manage it.

Özim
04-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Honestly you have to be impressed by how every one of your posts, every single one, manages to have a dig. That is what you call consistency. No idea how you manage it.

Thanks, it's easy with a manager like him, he rarely fails to disappoint.

McNamara That Ghost...
04-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Zim it really is tiresome. We get it, you'll berate Wenger at every turn - please stop this occuring in every thread.

Özim
04-06-2016, 11:51 AM
He's responsible for this signing is he not though? Who should I blame by him for a signing I don't rate? IMO he's totally the wrong signing, due to his age, the fact pace is his main asset and that at the age of 29 he has only performed in one season for Leicester, before this he could barely get a goal.

If you want the definition of someone who may be a one season wonder he's it surely? Very odd signing, the real gem at Leicester was Mahrez.

So far we've signed an unknown (though he looks like he may turn out to be good, however very expensive for an unknown player I have to say seeing as Gundogan went for 20 million) and it looks like we're signing a journeyman, whoopedeedoo.

When will transfer windows ever be exciting again?

McNamara That Ghost...
04-06-2016, 11:54 AM
You're complicit in bringing down every thread to the same discussion; just talk about the player.

Marc Overmars
04-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't have been my choice but if it happens then we've bagged ourselves one of the best PL strikers. One season wonder? Time will tell. A gamble worth taking though and I look forward to seeing him here, even if he is a huge cunt.

Özim
04-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Wouldn't have been my choice but if it happens then we've bagged ourselves one of the best PL strikers.

That's very debateable, if you look at last season then based on his goal record yes, but he's in reality totally unproven and has no record before last season and that's worrying 5 goals in his previous season and even before that in the Championship no less his record was average), as is his age, realistically he'll need replacing in a couple years.

The Emirates Gallactico
04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
If he gets us two seasons of 20+ goals it'd be worth every penny.

Reading a lot of the comments (not just on this place) there's a lot of football snobbery going on tbh. I don't care if he isn't a fancy name, just as long as he scores goals, goals and goals!

Marc Overmars
04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
That's very debateable, if you look at last season then based on his goal record yes, but he's in reality totally unproven and has no record before last season and that's worrying 5 goals in his previous season and even before that in the Championship no less his record was average), as is his age, realistically he'll need replacing in a couple years.

As I said it's a gamble for the reasons you state but I'm only interested in the here and now. We need someone to hit the ground running and he's as good a bet as any.

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:11 PM

Reading a lot of the comments (not just on this place) there's a lot of football snobbery going on tbh. I don't care if he isn't a fancy name, just as long as he scores goals, goals and goals!

It's very debateable whether he will, personally wanted a more long term option, when we got Henry he had a good few years left, Vardy doesn't so will need replacing again, which isn't great if you're building a team.

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:12 PM
As I said it's a gamble for the reasons you state but I'm only interested in the here and now. We need someone to hit the ground running and he's as good a bet as any.

These players who have one good season tend to struggle badly after that as people know all about them and mark them out of games and he really doesn't have the talent to overcome that unlike the better players.

IMO he'll get a handful of goals next season and if he doesn't score early he might really struggle, he's not really much of an upgrade on what we already have.

Letters
04-06-2016, 12:14 PM
:lol: We finished 2nd.

Letters
04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Wouldn't have been my choice but if it happens then we've bagged ourselves one of the best PL strikers. One season wonder? Time will tell. A gamble worth taking though and I look forward to seeing him here, even if he is a huge cunt.

I'm sceptical but if it is in the region of £20m then in today's market that's a steal and worth a punt.
But no, not my choice either.

Kano
04-06-2016, 12:20 PM
These players who have one good season tend to struggle badly after that as people know all about them and mark them out of games and he really doesn't have the talent to overcome that unlike the better players.

IMO he'll get a handful of goals next season and if he doesn't score early he might really struggle, he's not really much of an upgrade on what we already have.
I'm no fan of this potential signing for a few reasons but when you look at the strikers out there, any other signing would be a gamble. Janssen is young, very unproven and would have been cheap - something you are criticising the club for with Vardy. Lewandowski appears to be going to be Madrid. Aubmeyang I would be very surprised at being allowed to leave, what with 2/3 other key players on their way out the door. Higuain is a proven scorer but 29 years old, so not the longterm solution you are looking for and probably three times as much too. So anyone else is probably going to be a cheap or very expensive gamble.

Power n Glory
04-06-2016, 12:20 PM
I would have preferred Vincent Janseen. But Vardy probably edges Morata. Just. Tough call really. He's 29 years old and only has two seasons at the top level under his belt. He only managed 5 goals last year. I just think something special happened in that Leicester camp and they willed their way through to win the title.

I worry he's this year's Michu/Ba. Time will tell.

Edinburgh Gooner
04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
There was paper talk in January about the chavs taking a punt on him, so why shouldn't we do the same? We have lacked that bite up front for too long now, let's give the guy a chance.
If we don't get him now and he rips up the Euros, then moves for bigger money we'd all be sat here thinking if the what ifs.
20mil for vary, or 50mil for a Torres type flop. I know which I'd rather take a punt on.

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:24 PM
I'm no fan of this potential signing for a few reasons but when you look at the strikers out there, any other signing would be a gamble. Janssen is young, very unproven and would have been cheap - something you are criticising the club for with Vardy. Lewandowski appears to be going to be Madrid. Aubmeyang I would be very surprised at being allowed to leave, what with 2/3 other key players on their way out the door. Higuain is a proven scorer but 29 years old, so not the longterm solution you are looking for and probably three times as much too. So anyone else is probably going to be a cheap or very expensive gamble.

I prefer young and cheap than 29 and cheap because at least the former has a chance of improving, moreover because he's done it at a young age he's less likely to be a one season wonder IMO.

Yes there's a shortage of quality out there unless you want to make a megabucks bid, however a 29 year old wouldn't be my choice regardless.

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
:lol: We finished 2nd.

Like I said yesterday it was luck, weren't you paying attention?

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I would have preferred Vincent Janseen. But Vardy probably edges Morata. Just. Tough call really. He's 29 years old and only has two seasons at the top level under his belt. He only managed 5 goals last year. I just think something special happened in that Leicester camp and they willed their way through to win the title.

I worry he's this year's Michu/Ba. Time will tell.

I'm with you on this.

Özim
04-06-2016, 12:26 PM
There was paper talk in January about the chavs taking a punt on him, so why shouldn't we do the same? We have lacked that bite up front for too long now, let's give the guy a chance.
If we don't get him now and he rips up the Euros, then moves for bigger money we'd all be sat here thinking if the what ifs.
20mil for vary, or 50mil for a Torres type flop. I know which I'd rather take a punt on.

At 29 with one good season behind him he won't go for bigger money, clubs aren't mugs.

Letters
04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Like I said yesterday it was luck, weren't you paying attention?
You pretty much finish where you deserve to over 38 games.
Had we been in Spurs' place and collapsed to let them overtake us then I very much doubt you'd be saying that they were 'lucky' to finish 2nd and we were 'unlucky' to finish 3rd. The season is 38 games long, we finished 2nd.

But anyway, as Maccy said this thread is about Vardy - let's talk about him and that potential signing rather than you just using this as another platform for your ongoing whineathon.

Power n Glory
I'm with you on this.

Yeah, I remember you saying Janseen looked decent.

Letters
At 29 with one good season behind him he won't go for bigger money, clubs aren't mugs.
Really?! Some of the big money thrown around on flops over the last few years says different.

Niall_Quinn
04-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Exactly.

Now if we're smart we go and buy a young hotshot who can take his time to develop and we build ourselves that mega striker we currently can't afford or won't pay the money for. And in a way I'm with Wenger when it comes to some of the stupid figures being bandied about. Neymar, £130million? Martial currently valued at £80million. Seriously? Does any one player bring that much to a team? Well we know what we're getting with Vardy, a guy who will graft all day long and knows where the goal is. He'll also get straight into the box and dive. I'm not joking when I say that's something we have been missing. That's how it's done in this league. Rooney, Sterling, Costa, Young, Bale when he was here, Starfish, that's what we have been up against and we've come out on the losing side 9/10. Time to turn those tables.

If this happens it'll be our most effective signing in years, excluding Cech which was another much, much needed signing.

People really want to pay £60mill for Morata and then pay him another £30mill over 4 years in wages? We're worried about a striker who has just done the business and hoisted a PL title, yet we're cool with Morata coming in for the lion's share of our transfer budget? I don't get it.

Now we have the cash left over to go and get a top CB and we're ready. For once in the last decade we're ready.

Niall_Quinn
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Plus it's now possible to scrape up some sort of interest for England in the Euros. A nice Kane mega flop and Vardy to bag a few, that would be nice. Though if he joins us I guess he'll be straight out of Woy's reckoning once Martin Samuel sends word.

alexander
04-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Player > Age
Higuain 28
Cavani 29
Benzema 28
Suarez 29
Vardy 29

This. For those that bemoan his age. I read o. Here we signed Wright at a similar age, and that went well. Yes he uses his pace which will go in time, but he knows his way to goal, looks a natural tbh. Many are saying it's not their first choice, but he might just be one of two, and we get a younger player to bed in. If we get two seasons out of him and a decent tally of goals, £20mil is a bargain in today's market. So what if it's a stop gap? People are making out its easy to go get any top striker, but it isn't. There are not many around, some will want to stay with their current clubs, some clubs will ask silly money, some players will want silly money. It's not like playing championship manager, it's complex stuff.
As far as I am concerned, he will get us goals, he will take the burden off Giroud, it's another option, he is better than Theo, so for £20mil, I'm happy. He is 29, this will be his last move of note, so looking st the way he plays, he will bust a gut trying to make it work and become successful.

alexander
04-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Exactly.

Now if we're smart we go and buy a young hotshot who can take his time to develop and we build ourselves that mega striker we currently can't afford or won't pay the money for. And in a way I'm with Wenger when it comes to some of the stupid figures being bandied about. Neymar, £130million? Martial currently valued at £80million. Seriously? Does any one player bring that much to a team? Well we know what we're getting with Vardy, a guy who will graft all day long and knows where the goal is. He'll also get straight into the box and dive. I'm not joking when I say that's something we have been missing. That's how it's done in this league. Rooney, Sterling, Costa, Young, Bale when he was here, Starfish, that's what we have been up against and we've come out on the losing side 9/10. Time to turn those tables.

If this happens it'll be our most effective signing in years, excluding Cech which was another much, much needed signing.

People really want to pay £60mill for Morata and then pay him another £30mill over 4 years in wages? We're worried about a striker who has just done the business and hoisted a PL title, yet we're cool with Morata coming in for the lion's share of our transfer budget? I don't get it.

Now we have the cash left over to go and get a top CB and we're ready. For once in the last decade we're ready.

Must be worth signing just to keep NQ in a happy and positive mood :cool:

alexander
04-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Exactly.

Agree with this fully.

Alpha
04-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Vardy's age might be an handicap for some people but ,to be fair , everyone must agree the guy knows where the nets are . And that is what matters the most for an out and out striker . No one can prophesy how long is he going to play top football for . Who knew that Ibrahimovic would be playing as a top striker at the age of 34 ?

Any signing is a gamble . If you are not ready to take any risks in your life , you will go nowhere . Vardy is not the type of signing which will excite you as an Arsenal fan but he deserves a chance . You never knows what he might bring to the team . Maybe that title we are crying for . We create so many chances that go begging but we always manage the top 4 finish . If Vardy can convert a quarter of those lost chances ,who knows what would happen ? I am not happy and excited by that a signing but I can not complain either . It would be complete if a Vincent Jassen is added .

Niall_Quinn
04-06-2016, 02:01 PM
Jassen does look good. Reminds me of RvC. But this is a GW rumour isn't it? Absolutely zero traction outside GW. Vardy plus this guy makes a lot of sense. I know Wenger reads GW because he likes to keep up to date with what I'm saying, so hopefully the name drops and we do the biz.

Özim
04-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Really?! Some of the big money thrown around on flops over the last few years says different.

Not for players like Vardy with no proven track record and no exceptional talent.

alexander
I know Wenger reads GW because he likes to keep up to date with what I'm saying, so hopefully the name drops and we do the biz.

He did, but he couldnt take it after december 2015, you broke him.

Power n Glory
Jassen does look good. Reminds me of RvC. But this is a GW rumour isn't it? Absolutely zero traction outside GW. Vardy plus this guy makes a lot of sense. I know Wenger reads GW because he likes to keep up to date with what I'm saying, so hopefully the name drops and we do the biz.

He looks really good. Really intelligent finishing. Reminds me of Ruud and Persie and still very young. He has to be on someone's radar at the club? Top goal scorer in the Dutch league. We should be looking at the top 5 goal scorers across all of Europe since we need a striker.

Özim
04-06-2016, 02:32 PM

IF we signed Janssen as well I'd be happy, we won't though, Vardy will be the forward Wenger commented on when he was asked about Bambi's injury.

Toronto Gooner
04-06-2016, 02:33 PM
When I first read about this "possible" transfer, I had to check that it was not April 1st. Overall, I am still in the uncertain group. However, there are some advantages that could come from it.

(1) He does know where the goal is and has a huge amount of confidence thanks to last season.
(2) A rival is weakened
(3) Other rivals will not have him.
(4) He definitely represents a Plan B (or will he be Plan A?).
(5) £20 million is a steal, especially compared to other options.
(6) He will be competition for Giroud.

What I am hoping will happen is that Arsenal will buy a young striker with potential, who will take over in a couple of years. At 21-years-old, Janssen would fit that description.

Özim
04-06-2016, 02:34 PM
He looks really good. Really intelligent finishing. Reminds me of Ruud and Persie and still very young. He has to be on someone's radar at the club? Top goal scorer in the Dutch league. We should be looking at the top 5 goal scorers across all of Europe since we need a striker.

He's worth a punt IMO, again won't cost too much and is young a no brainer for me, Vardy's age is what concerns me, no room for improvement and no record before last season, between the two Janssen would have been a much better bet for me, scoring lots at a young age and potential to improve.

Power n Glory
04-06-2016, 02:34 PM
This. For those that bemoan his age. I read o. Here we signed Wright at a similar age, and that went well. Yes he uses his pace which will go in time, but he knows his way to goal, looks a natural tbh. Many are saying it's not their first choice, but he might just be one of two, and we get a younger player to bed in. If we get two seasons out of him and a decent tally of goals, £20mil is a bargain in today's market. So what if it's a stop gap? People are making out its easy to go get any top striker, but it isn't. There are not many around, some will want to stay with their current clubs, some clubs will ask silly money, some players will want silly money. It's not like playing championship manager, it's complex stuff.
As far as I am concerned, he will get us goals, he will take the burden off Giroud, it's another option, he is better than Theo, so for £20mil, I'm happy. He is 29, this will be his last move of note, so looking st the way he plays, he will bust a gut trying to make it work and become successful.

It's not just his age. Higuain, Cavani, Benzema, Suarez are around the same age but they have years experience playing at the top level. It's a bad comparison.

Xhaka Can’t
04-06-2016, 02:56 PM
He's shown he can do what it takes to win in the Premier League. It'd be magic if was 25. Wrighty was no spring chicken when he joined us.

It may not work out, but if you look at current form, for me he is the right guy for right now.

Master Splinter
04-06-2016, 03:48 PM
With Welbeck probably out for 90% of the season and Walcott likely moving on, you'd think two forwards would be a priority. Otherwise it's just Giroud and Vardy for the whole season and one of them is certain to pick up a six-month injury.

If a Janssen, Batshuayi or Embolo are available for £30m or less, than getting PL experience and future potential for £50m or so could be ideal. Certainly better than splashing a shitload on BIG NAME or players with flaws in their game like Lukaku.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-06-2016, 04:11 PM
It's not actually a given he would be cheap....How much did Memphis cost? Let's not get carried away, his club will hardly give him away.

Munchies
04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
It's not actually a given he would be cheap....How much did Memphis cost? Let's not get carried away, his club will hardly give him away.

For Vardy?

Release clause is apparently less than £20m

KSE Comedy Club
04-06-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm more than happy with us getting Vardy. Much better than spunky get £50-£60m on average shite like Morata.

At the end of the day we need someone who is better than Walcott and Giroud - and Vatdy was better than both last season. Fact.

Just because he isn't a big name doesn't mean he won't do the business again next season.

Hope it happens :pray:

Munchies
04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
From what I hear the €38m (£29m) fee Gazzetta cite for Vardy via Ranieri is closer to what #AFC will pay than the £20m in British press.
https://twitter.com/gunnerblog/status/739151514325901312

fakeyank
04-06-2016, 05:54 PM
We have as well Sanogo who can play there.

Özim
04-06-2016, 06:39 PM
£29 million for a 29 year old with one good season behind him and no kinda record behind it, that's rather expensive.

GP
04-06-2016, 07:03 PM
We're sitting on more money than Smaug. The price isn't really important.

Marc Overmars
04-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Given how tight fisted we've been in the past I don't really care about the cost.

If Vardy is the man Wenger wants, then pay up and get on with it. This club fleeces it's fans so at the very least I'd prefer to see that money on the pitch rather than in the bank.

Niall_Quinn
04-06-2016, 07:34 PM
WengSmaug out!

The Emirates Gallactico
04-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Seems that Giroud has read this thread. :coffee:

Kano
04-06-2016, 07:54 PM
Seems that Giroud has read this thread. :coffee:

He's scored, boo him!

Bergkampwonderland10
04-06-2016, 08:16 PM

I just keep thinking Francis Jeffers with this one...but hoping it will turn out completely differently. We have lacked someone up front with the passion to close down and run down the space and finish consistently...when Welbeck game back, we saw what we'd been missing, but obviously he is basically out for the entirety of next season. If Vardy's release clause is 20million and we get him for that, I would think it a good buy. He will teach our youngsters a thing or two about hard work as well - and that is definitely something his age counts for..plus the road he took to get to where he has.
We need 4 good strikers going into next season. Giroud, Vardy, ......, Sanchez. I would absolutely love Morata in an Arsenal shirt. Not too sure how likely that is now, but he is definitely going to be one of the top 5 strikers of his generation and we should go all out to sign him. Aubemeyang would also have been a good fit but he only wants Madrid move, would cost more and has the AcON every other year too.

Özim
04-06-2016, 08:22 PM
I just keep thinking Francis Jeffers with this one

Yeah that's precisely what I was thinking too, that was a weird signing too.

Letters
04-06-2016, 09:19 PM
We have as well Sanogo who can't play there.

Fixed your typo.

Letters
04-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Yeah that's precisely what I was thinking too, that was a weird signing too.

That was a weird signing but Vardy has just been one of the top scorers in the league for the team who won the title.
I'm not bothered about his age, for £20m it's a snip even if we only get 4 or 5 seasons out of him, the one season wonder thing bothers me more but, again, at £20m it's worth a punt.

Chippy
04-06-2016, 10:26 PM
I just keep thinking Francis Jeffers with this one...but hoping it will turn out completely differently. We have lacked someone up front with the passion to close down and run down the space and finish consistently...when Welbeck game back, we saw what we'd been missing, but obviously he is basically out for the entirety of next season. If Vardy's release clause is 20million and we get him for that, I would think it a good buy. He will teach our youngsters a thing or two about hard work as well - and that is definitely something his age counts for..plus the road he took to get to where he has.
We need 4 good strikers going into next season. Giroud, Vardy, ......, Sanchez. I would absolutely love Morata in an Arsenal shirt. Not too sure how likely that is now, but he is definitely going to be one of the top 5 strikers of his generation and we should go all out to sign him. Aubemeyang would also have been a good fit but he only wants Madrid move, would cost more and has the AcON every other year too.

You are joking ! Jeffers was fucking shite!! Vardy is miles better!

Chippy
04-06-2016, 10:30 PM
That was a weird signing but Vardy has just been one of the top scorers in the league for the team who won the title.
I'm not bothered about his age, for £20m it's a snip even if we only get 4 or 5 seasons out of him, the one season wonder thing bothers me more but, again, at £20m it's worth a punt.
Spot on Letters! Defo worth a punt.

pakgunner
05-06-2016, 01:31 AM
We need cunts in our team, the majority of our players lack that killer instinct, the fight and passion when needed. The incident involving Diego Costa and Gabriel springs to mind, what did our players do to respond to his antic? Nothing! Vardy will bring that in spades, yes he is a late bloomer but he has many football attributes that our current strikers lack. I believe he will slot in well with our team.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-06-2016, 02:30 AM
For Vardy?

Release clause is apparently less than £20m

I was talking about young Jansen. There seems to be an assumption that we will get him for peanuts but the logic is flawed......particularly if you look at Memphis.

Power n Glory
05-06-2016, 06:36 AM
I was talking about young Jansen. There seems to be an assumption that we will get him for peanuts but the logic is flawed......particularly if you look at Memphis.

Seems like £20m - £30m is the new cheap if we're looking at Vardy's fee.

I'll be ok with us paying that same amount for Janssen.

Gooner23
05-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Couldn't care less if the price is around 20-30 million. We've all moaned about the club sitting on a load of cash, so as long as we're not blowing our entire transfer budget on one player (sounds like we're not), the more important question is whether he's the right player. Have to be honest like many I'm on the fence but if it's him for 30 mil or the overrated Lukaku for 50 mil then I think it's the right call. Sure there are no guarantees he will replicate the goal scoring of this season, but there is no reason to think he can't do that. And he will guarantee us pace and hard work up front which is what we all want.

Gooner23
05-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Sounds like we're also in for the Swiss left back, a centre back and a wide forward to replace Theo. That would be a good summer. Le Grove reckons we're after Mkhitaryan, he'd be a great signing.

Gooner23
05-06-2016, 07:47 AM
34 year old Zlatan on 300k a week, now that's mental.

Kano
05-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Ranieri has apparently confirmed our interest and Giroud said he heard Vardy wants to join us so all very real.

Would be surprised if this didn't happen now.

Niall_Quinn
05-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Fleetwood get 25% of the transfer fee. Good for them. Looks like they'll be shopping this summer.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Seems like £20m - £30m is the new cheap if we're looking at Vardy's fee.

I'll be ok with us paying that same amount for Janssen.

Gamble wise they would appear to be more equal than folk appreciate! Some are ignoring the fact Janssen could easily cost more than Vardy and yet saying '20 mill for a 29 year old'. I mean I get it but seriously, we can afford them both frankly.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Surprised Vardy was so immediately keen though by the sounds of it. Sounds like we could have easily unsettled him in January!

Power n Glory
05-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Gamble wise they would appear to be more equal than folk appreciate! Some are ignoring the fact Janssen could easily cost more than Vardy and yet saying '20 mill for a 29 year old'. I mean I get it but seriously, we can afford them both frankly.

Yeah, we can afford them both but price isn't really my concern on this one.

I'm more so looking at the style of play. Vardy has plenty of space and can finish but I'm not sure how he'd work as a lone striker and having to find small pockets on space to get a goal. Most of the goals he scored were from counter attacks and where he's hanging off the shoulder of the defender with huge gaps between the goal and defensive line. I haven't really seen how he copes having to work with defenders all around, sitting deep and only small section of the goal to aim at if you do receive the ball.

It's partly why I like what I'm seeing from Janssen. Smart finishing like Rudd from tight areas but also strong enough to deal with defenders all around him. But who knows, maybe Vardy will be able to cope. He's able to shoot and will hustle for the ball. Has the pace. We'll soon find out. But he seems more of fit than Giroud up front. In a perfect world, we'd be playing Vardy and Giroud together but that won't happen.

Niall_Quinn
05-06-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm more so looking at the style of play. Vardy has plenty of space and can finish but I'm not sure how he'd work as a lone striker and having to find small pockets on space to get a goal.

He's superb at that. Always on the move, always coming for the ball in tighter games. Always injecting pace and running in behind. This idea Leicester are some sort of kick and rush team, where on earth did that come from? They played the best football in the league last year. Certainly the most entertaining football. Them and, grudgingly, those spuds. Lots and lots of sour grapes with the pundits and the media who have all jumped on the plucky Leicester miracle bandwagon (because that's where the action is) but at the same time have introduced a bunch of falsehoods related to Leicester's style.

Vardy's great because he's never static, he doesn't stand around like a lemon waiting for stuff to arrive at his feet. And he's always pulling defenders around the place. I wonder how many of Mahrez's goals came about because Vardy dragged the defence off to the four corners?

So many similarities with Wrighty. Spikey, energetic character with bags of pace and power and a finely tuned radar for the net. Late starter but has exploded once the chance came along. Coming into a team of decent players that haven't found that spark, a dull and lethargic unit, mediocre and badly underperforming. I think I know exactly what Wenger sees in this player and if that's the road he's going down then I support it. On other hand, if he's bought him to stick him on the wing or something stupid like that then I'm with you, waste of time.

We've been begging Theo Walcott for years to do what comes naturally to Vardy. Theo could have been that explosive striker but he blew the chance when it came along. I'd bet money right now that Vardy won't blow it.

That's if he's coming at all and this isn't some ploy designed to keep the fans guessing while we string out some hopeless deal for Morata. If we ended up with Morata and missed out on Vardy I'd be seriously disappointed.

Power n Glory
05-06-2016, 01:06 PM
He's superb at that. Always on the move, always coming for the ball in tighter games. Always injecting pace and running in behind. This idea Leicester are some sort of kick and rush team, where on earth did that come from? They played the best football in the league last year. Certainly the most entertaining football. Them and, grudgingly, those spuds. Lots and lots of sour grapes with the pundits and the media who have all jumped on the plucky Leicester miracle bandwagon (because that's where the action is) but at the same time have introduced a bunch of falsehoods related to Leicester's style.

Vardy's great because he's never static, he doesn't stand around like a lemon waiting for stuff to arrive at his feet. And he's always pulling defenders around the place. I wonder how many of Mahrez's goals came about because Vardy dragged the defence off to the four corners?

So many similarities with Wrighty. Spikey, energetic character with bags of pace and power and a finely tuned radar for the net. Late starter but has exploded once the chance came along. Coming into a team of decent players that haven't found that spark, a dull and lethargic unit, mediocre and badly underperforming. I think I know exactly what Wenger sees in this player and if that's the road he's going down then I support it. On other hand, if he's bought him to stick him on the wing or something stupid like that then I'm with you, waste of time.

We've been begging Theo Walcott for years to do what comes naturally to Vardy. Theo could have been that explosive striker but he blew the chance when it came along. I'd bet money right now that Vardy won't blow it.

That's if he's coming at all and this isn't some ploy designed to keep the fans guessing while we string out some hopeless deal for Morata. If we ended up with Morata and missed out on Vardy I'd be seriously disappointed.

That's not a slight on Leicester's style of play. They counter attack and if you look through each of Vardy's goals, the majority come from a counter attack with defenders running back on themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGzExJOrhfQ

With Janssen, I see more of a variety. Seems comfortable with both feet and some clever finishes. Goals he's crafted for himself or made from very little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-4h9vmIJQ

I'd always wanted Theo to play up front because of his pace but that's a call I'd make if we're looking for internal solutions. Vardy's pace and work rate will be useful and I'd take that over Giroud being static and suffocated in the box. But I guess the hesitation I have with Vardy is the lack of experience at the top level, his age and the him seeming to find his rhythm with a particular style of play. Because it's so late in his career, we really don't know how well he'll adapt to a different style or even if he has the time. It's not impossible but I guess I'd be more comfortable if he were younger or had a lot more experience.

Toronto Gooner
05-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Janssen looks useful (albeit in a Youtube video), and I think that he would be worth a punt as the main striker in a couple of years. Vardy is the striker for now, especially if his release clause figure is accurate.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-06-2016, 01:51 PM
If Giroud can create enough space to score 16 goals then surely Vardy can. But yes I really like the look of Janssen. Seems quite tough for a modest size as well as excellent balance.

The league did have quite some considerable time to realise Leicester cede possession and sit in and yet they still won the league.

Marc Overmars
05-06-2016, 05:23 PM
The Telegraph are reporting that Leicester are going to offer him a new deal, unsurprisingly.

Sounds like we won't have long to wait to see if this does happen, or not.

Japan Shaking All Over
05-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Surely Giroud having his say on the news is indication that this is a done deal? Club would have put a shut ya mouth order out if otherwise

selassie
05-06-2016, 09:27 PM
Not totally convinced we've got this one wrapped up, sounds like Leicester are going to match our wage offer for Vardy so he's got a big decision to make. If he stays fair play to him, I won't exactly lose any sleep over him not coming here, I like him as a player but but am not entirely convinced he's right for us.

Munchies
05-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Yeah

Lots of twitter talk (I know lol) that he might re-consider staying

ffs, join us Jamie!

Decision tomorrow apparently

Özim
05-06-2016, 10:13 PM
Hope he stays with Leicester, would be best for everyone IMO, they're the Champions (why would you leave the winners of the PL), he suits their play, he may well be a one season wonder and he's 29 so I wouldn't be disappointed if this didn't happen.

Hopefully we can find someone more suitable.

Marc Overmars
05-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Leicester have reportedly identified Troy Deeney as his replacement should he go.

I hope we have a contingency if he doesn't fancy the move.

Munchies
05-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Leicester have reportedly identified Troy Deeney as his replacement should he go.

I'd even take Defoe :lol:

GP
05-06-2016, 11:11 PM
No you wouldn't.

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 09:45 AM
:tumbleweed:

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 09:49 AM
England fly out at 11:30am - Vardy has to make a decision by then apparently. Not sure why. What happens if he doesn't make a decision by then? Do we automatically withdraw our offer or does Woy sit on his own middle finger and start spinning rapidly?

GP
06-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Bet he says no...

Letters
06-06-2016, 09:51 AM
I seriously doubt this will happen although I am naturally sceptical about transfer things till the ink is dry.

Letters
06-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Bet he says no...

But no really means yes, right? :unsure:

selassie
06-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Sanogo?

GP
06-06-2016, 09:56 AM
But no really means yes, right? :unsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djpMef3hdCA

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 10:51 AM
The decision has probably been made. Just a case of when the official channels put out their statements.

Özim
06-06-2016, 11:46 AM
Hard one for Vardy to be fair, he's worshipped at Leicester, will be guaranteed a 1st team spot and is at the best team in the country right now and in the CL, however it's possible Leicester may struggle next season and he may get about 3 goals all season.

The alternative is to move to a club who won't win anything but will get top 4 and thus get to play in the CL and thus getting his one move, possibly before people discover he's a one season wonder, in which case this opportunity wouldn't come up again.

If we were a winning team I think the decision would be easier.

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 11:52 AM
There isn't even the slightest chance of this guy being a one season wonder. Not if he keeps his wits about him and doesn't fall prey to the London, I think they call it lifestyle though I can't imagine why. He also has to avoid our injury curse. A player who played 36 of 38 last season and only missed 2 because of suspension. Cannon fodder for our fitness gurus. I guess he'll want to earn for all 4 years of the contract? Well he won't do that for long if he comes here and sticks his feet up. That's not the type of player he is anyway.

Özim
06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Why not he scored 5 goals in 36 games the season before and 5 goals in 29 and 16 goals in 41 games when they were playing in the Championship (a much lower level), therefore his record doesn't support the fact he couldn't be a one season wonder.

Yes we're hearing comparisons with Wright though Wrighty was a bit younger and had been scoring for Palace a good few seasons before he signed for us, in the PL (or Division 1 as it was called then).

When we signed Wright he was already an accomplished finisher for several seasons so he had a record of goals (he'd scored a lot in Division 2 and other than his 1st season in Division 1 had been scoring quite a few in a team who certainly didn't win the league or come near it), Vardy just doesn't.

I'm personally very worried Vardy has had his day, let's not forget Leicester surprised everyone last season with how well they did, I can't see that happening again either.

If he was younger then fair enough, but 29 is pretty much peak age for a footballer, especially one who relies on pace, so this is as good as it gets for him.

Letters
06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Hard one for Vardy to be fair, he's worshipped at Leicester, will be guaranteed a 1st team spot and is at the best team in the country right now and in the CL, however it's possible Leicester may struggle next season and he may get about 3 goals all season.

The alternative is to move to a club who won't win anything but will get top 4 and thus get to play in the CL and thus getting his one move, possibly before people discover he's a one season wonder, in which case this opportunity wouldn't come up again.

If we were a winning team I think the decision would be easier.

I'd be absolutely amazed if Leicester get anywhere near repeating what they did this season (that said, I'm absolutely amazed by what they did do this season).
Next season will be a real dogfight to stay in the top 4, I can't see Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and City all being as poor as they were the season just gone. Spurs and us will be in the mix again.
Leicester aren't going to repeat what they did - you say yourself you think Vardy is a one season wonder, if so then how could they possibly repeat it?
Arsenal are clearly a bigger club than Leicester, it's obviously an attractive move for a player who was playing in the non-league a couple of years ago. If we'd had a striker in the form Vardy was in we'd have won the league last season, if he believes that he can help us push on and win the title next year - which he might, and he might be right - then he might decide to move.

The only reason to stay really is to be the hero at Leicester, and that's not to be sniffed at.

Edit: IF we were a winning team? This is the first season in 3 where we've not won anything!

Özim
06-06-2016, 12:13 PM
I'd be absolutely amazed if Leicester get anywhere near repeating what they did this season (that said, I'm absolutely amazed by what they did do this season).
Next season will be a real dogfight to stay in the top 4, I can't see Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and City all being as poor as they were the season just gone. Spurs and us will be in the mix again.
Leicester aren't going to repeat what they did - you say yourself you think Vardy is a one season wonder, if so then how could they possibly repeat it?
Arsenal are clearly a bigger club than Leicester, it's obviously an attractive move for a player who was playing in the non-league a couple of years ago. If we'd had a striker in the form Vardy was in we'd have won the league last season, if he believes that he can help us push on and win the title next year - which he might, and he might be right - then he might decide to move.

The only reason to stay really is to be the hero at Leicester, and that's not to be sniffed at.

Edit: IF we were a winning team? This is the first season in 3 where we've not won anything!

Yes so would I, I'd also be amazed if he gets anywhere near as many goals next season, hence the one season wonder comment. So yes this could be the only chance he has for a move before it goes pear-shaped, but Leicester fans won't take kindly to that and to be honest we don't seem that popular with opposing teams from what I've heard so I'm not sure how big a fan he would be of our setup.

As for winning, you can sugar coat it, but we are known as a team who fail to deliver, people know us as that, if Chelsea or Man City or even Man U moved for him I'm sure it would have been an easier decision, the fact is we're not as attractive as we use to be simply because we haven't won the title in years, have totally bottled it time and time again when well placed and frankly aren't really competitive in the CL, 10 years ago this move would have been done and dusted but that's no longer the case as we're not the club we were.

I don't want him here anyway, so I hope he turns us down because I'm just worried he'll struggle for goals next season, it's not the 1st time we would have season a player with no kind of goal record who had one good season and never repeated it, we've had a few ourselves in Ramsey and Adebayor and to be fair to those two at least they were younger and could improve and dare I say it probably have more natural talent than him, even if they aren't all that either.

I think what might have happened here is Wenger has got a sniff of the clause in his contract and found the fact he won't cost too much attractive to him.

Kano
06-06-2016, 12:17 PM
I've heard a lot people make the statement that if we had someone like Vardy or a better striker we would've won the league for sure. I don't get how that would be the case given how fragile we were in defence, how poor our central midfield looked at times and how awful our play became the further the season went on. Far more than a striker was needed and still is. A new manager is still the only way we can win the league and challenge in Europe as a key starting point, no matter what players we bring in during the summer and even if we attempt to change our style.

GP
06-06-2016, 12:30 PM
I've heard a lot people make the statement that if we had someone like Vardy or a better striker we would've won the league for sure. I don't get how that would be the case given how fragile we were in defence, how poor our central midfield looked at times and how awful our play became the further the season went on. Far more than a striker was needed and still is. A new manager is still the only way we can win the league and challenge in Europe as a key starting point, no matter what players we bring in during the summer and even if we attempt to change our style.

Right, I agree.

But that's not going to happen this summer, so we can just strengthen the squad as much as possible.

Kano
06-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Right, I agree.

But that's not going to happen this summer, so we can just strengthen the squad as much as possible.

Absolutely, Wenger is here for another season at least, although it's probably his last. Happy to see improved players added to the squad wherever possible because we can't stand still. Hopefully the next manager can benefit from that - although another season without a PL could well mean a Sanchez or Ozil departing next summer.

Kano
06-06-2016, 12:35 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomough/status/739792260326395904/photo/1

:lol:

Özim
06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Absolutely, Wenger is here for another season at least, although it's probably his last.

Don't hold your breath, they've said they'll offer him a new contract and that he shows no signs of slowing down, he may well be here another 4 years at least.

Power n Glory
06-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Why not he scored 5 goals in 36 games the season before and 5 goals in 29 and 16 goals in 41 games when they were playing in the Championship (a much lower level), therefore his record doesn't support the fact he couldn't be a one season wonder.

Yes we're hearing comparisons with Wright though Wrighty was a bit younger and had been scoring for Palace a good few seasons before he signed for us, in the PL (or Division 1 as it was called then).

When we signed Wright he was already an accomplished finisher for several seasons so he had a record of goals (he'd scored a lot in Division 2 and other than his 1st season in Division 1 had been scoring quite a few in a team who certainly didn't win the league or come near it), Vardy just doesn't.

I'm personally very worried Vardy has had his day, let's not forget Leicester surprised everyone last season with how well they did, I can't see that happening again either.

If he was younger then fair enough, but 29 is pretty much peak age for a footballer, especially one who relies on pace, so this is as good as it gets for him.

He hasn't got a solid history and you make a good point about Ade and Ramsey in another post.

Time will tell if this goes through. Hopefully he turns out to be the sort of striker we need. But I worry that he'll be too dependent on service. When we're going through the motions and we come up against a solid defence, we'll need him to pull off a goal that saves our bacon.

dostoy
06-06-2016, 12:42 PM
I am surprised by all this talk of Vardy.

This is very unlike Arsenal/Arsene (same thing).

I'm not sure if I want him here or not and I cannot see a reason to leave Leicester, although in 12 months that might change.

I don't know what to think and would not be disappointed either way.

Gooner23
06-06-2016, 01:07 PM
According to Ornstein he's still weighing up the offers, has this all just been a ruse by his agent to get a bigger contract at Leicester?

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure many people actually watched Vardy play last season. If Giroud had played half as well we'd have been laughing come the end of the season. Having a pacey and energetic striker up top who can finish is hardly a problem. The real problem will be committing to something other than that tippy tappy shit we fell deeper and deeper into last season. If we're going to play that then Messi wouldn't make a difference. But assuming we want to play better football than we did last season, hopefully that's a very safe assumption, we're likely to see better individual performances all around as a result. But we need to sort out that style of play. Crucial.

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 01:12 PM
According to Ornstein he's still weighing up the offers, has this all just been a ruse by his agent to get a bigger contract at Leicester?

Doubtful because Ranieri wouldn't have helped that along by confirming our interest. I'd love him to come here but if he decides to stay at Leicester then you'd have to give him credit for that, minus the extra cash he'll be getting. Huge decision for him either way. Hopefully the chavs or mancs don't breeze in and nick him. If he goes somewhere other than us the what a cunt, basically.

Kano
06-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Don't hold your breath, they've said they'll offer him a new contract and that he shows no signs of slowing down, he may well be here another 4 years at least.

They'd probably want him to stay but if Wenger decides he's had enough, that will be that. 68 by the time the season ends, so retirement is probably on his mind. No-one knows for sure.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-06-2016, 01:24 PM
The longer it drags on the more likely it's going to be a no.

I don't think we really in the mood to fuck around this summer.

Letters
06-06-2016, 01:34 PM

There were enough games where we failed to score or a goal here and there would have made a difference to suggest that a top striker in good form would have made a difference.
As GP said, Wenger's here next year, if he's going to sign big to try and go out with a bang then great, there's no downside to that.

Özim
06-06-2016, 01:36 PM
They'd probably want him to stay but if Wenger decides he's had enough, that will be that. 68 by the time the season ends, so retirement is probably on his mind. No-one knows for sure.

I personally don't get the impression he's had enough, neither did Gazidis from his comments, so I'm expecting a few more years at least.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 01:37 PM

I doubt it, he only signed a new deal a few months ago. The clause was put in for a reason because he obviously knew there would be interest and an opportunity to further himself financially and increase his profile. Leicester probably can't/won't match our wages so it's really just down to what he fancies for himself.

Kano
06-06-2016, 01:41 PM
There were enough games where we failed to score or a goal here and there would have made a difference to suggest that a top striker in good form would have made a difference.
As GP said, Wenger's here next year, if he's going to sign big to try and go out with a bang then great, there's no downside to that.

Would've made a difference but how much we don't know and there were more than enough problems beyond that left unaddressed would have left us in the exact same boat. Given the state of our rivals last season the squad we had should've been enough to win the league but Wenger's management meant that isn't possible.

Signing players isn't what will make the difference. Ranieri showed that. He played the way the players preferred to. Management of the players and squad are the defining factors and account for the energy, focus and dealing with pressure as it increases. Wenger isn't able to do that anymore. The players coming in are purely there for the next manager to benefit from, should Wenger leave.

Letters
06-06-2016, 02:10 PM
We don't know how much difference, no. My feeling though is it would have won us the league. I may be wrong.

LDG
06-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Kano speaks the truth.

Perhaps a striker converting the chances would have made the difference. Who knows.

It was a combined clusterfuck by our manager of all kinds of things which was the problem, so even if we had found a striker to take those chances, he'd play him out of position eventually, in favour of walking the ball into the net. What would Vardy do when faced with 10 men behind the ball?? Answer, is what happened when we played Leicester. We starved him of space in behind, and he became completely obsolete....which is what will happen if he signs for us.

If we sign someone and start playing counter-attack powerball, it is absolutely nailed on we'll revert back to tippy-tappy come the end of the season. Happens every year....

Pre-season last year, we were playing fast counter-attacking football....look at the end of the season.

Letters
06-06-2016, 02:42 PM
How the hell could a striker converting the chances not have made a difference?!
Before last season we were all saying we needed a top striker, now we're saying it wouldn't have made much difference anyway?

EDIT: The poster boy for our problems was the Southampton at home, Ozil put chance after a chance on a plate, no-one was able to convert them. That's 2 points right there, if we had someone who would. There are plenty of other examples.

Kano
06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
No we're saying it still probably wouldn't have won us the league because the once it became clear the other big teams weren't involved, this squad should've had enough to win. But we didn't even last the course in terms of challenging, that's why it comes down to more than one player. Giroud has more pedigree than Vardy early last season. But it was absolutely clear that despite having the best chance to challenge properly for the title, Wenger isn't up to. Better striker or not. Too many other problems all over the squad. You don't just look back at a scenario, drop someone in and it all works out how you retrospectively imagine it to. Lack of energy in games, terrible football, sloppy passing, stupid goals, Flamini starting for weeks on end. The list goes on. That isn't going to change next season either. Hopefully he leaves gracefully at the end of next season.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
How the hell could a striker converting the chances not have made a difference?!

Yeah this. Yes there were other problems in other areas of our squad namely not having a fucking replacement for Santi but with all our traditional rivals faltering just having a top striker would have been enough to see us over the line last year.

There was a stat posted on here at the end of the season which said that had all shots which hit the woodwork counted as goals (applied throughout the league) we would have won the league. We create so many guilt edge chances every game and struggle to finish them; I'm sick and tired of it.

Kano
06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Liverpool had Suarez and Sturridge scoring for fun, over a hundred goals and still didn't win it. There's more to it than that.

And given all the frustration around the manager and his set-up, it feels like a nonsense to sweep all of that away in the name of one type of player not being in the team.

Power n Glory
06-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Yeah this. Yes there were other problems in other areas of our squad namely not having a fucking replacement for Santi but with all our traditional rivals faltering just having a top striker would have been enough to see us over the line last year.

There was a stat posted on here at the end of the season which said that had all shots which hit the woodwork counted as goals (applied throughout the league) we would have won the league. We create so many guilt edge chances every game and struggle to finish them; I'm sick and tired of it.

The stats are misleading. There are way too many games where it looks like we're struggling to just get a shot on target. We'd be waiting well into the first half or even 2nd just to test their keeper. There aren't many games where we're missing sitter after sitter.

Power n Glory
06-06-2016, 03:02 PM
No we're saying it still probably wouldn't have won us the league because the once it became clear the other big teams weren't involved, this squad should've had enough to win. But we didn't even last the course in terms of challenging, that's why it comes down to more than one player. Giroud has more pedigree than Vardy early last season. But it was absolutely clear that despite having the best chance to challenge properly for the title, Wenger isn't up to. Better striker or not. Too many other problems all over the squad. You don't just look back at a scenario, drop someone in and it all works out how you retrospectively imagine it to. Lack of energy in games, terrible football, sloppy passing, stupid goals, Flamini starting for weeks on end. The list goes on. That isn't going to change next season either. Hopefully he leaves gracefully at the end of next season.

And you didn't even mention injuries.

Letters
06-06-2016, 03:07 PM
Liverpool had Suarez and Sturridge scoring for fun, over a hundred goals and still didn't win it. There's more to it than that.
There is more to it than that but Liverpool's squad was nowhere near good enough to win the league and Suarez almost single handedly won them the title regardless.
OK, they didn't win it but he clearly made a difference to them, when he left they weren't as good. Of course a player like that makes a difference and it would have made us a difference to us last year.
Whether it would have made enough difference to win us the league is obviously something we can't know, it's almost pointless debating it further.

Letters
06-06-2016, 03:07 PM
The stats are misleading. There are way too many games where it looks like we're struggling to just get a shot on target. We'd be waiting well into the first half or even 2nd just to test their keeper. There aren't many games where we're missing sitter after sitter.

Agree, but wouldn't a top striker have made a difference in those games too?

Kano
06-06-2016, 03:13 PM
There is more to it than that but Liverpool's squad was nowhere near good enough to win the league and Suarez almost single handedly won them the title regardless.
OK, they didn't win it but he clearly made a difference to them, when he left they weren't as good. Of course a player like that makes a difference and it would have made us a difference to us last year.
Whether it would have made enough difference to win us the league is obviously something we can't know, it's almost pointless debating it further.

My point of contention is the belief that a new striker would've won us the title. I've seen that said a few times with seemingly absolute certainty and I don't buy into that same level of complete confidence. It just seems odd that this way of thinking is starting to appear, given it was only a couple of months ago that most fans were frustrated to one level or another on so many other issues.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Exactly a top striker isn't just about finishing ability it's about positioning. What makes Welbeck a better option than Giroud is the way he makes and opens up space in the way Giroud just doesn't.

That said I certainly don't disagree that we could stand to be more direct, be confident to run with the ball more and open up space that way.

Letters
06-06-2016, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't ever claim to have complete confidence, obviously I can't know what would have happened, but the number of times I saw us blundering away missing chances while Ozil facepalmed at the ineptitude of our strikers makes me think it would have been enough. Anyway, we all agree we need a top striker, surely?

LDG
06-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Spot on.

selassie

He's got a big decision to make, I'm not even sure if we have offered him first team football, well through the middle. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if Wenger stuck him on the wing assuming he does join.

The more time I have had to think about this deal the more uneasy I am with it. Yeah he's a decent enough player, yeah he scored a bucket load last season, some of them very good goals...I'm just not sure he's right for us and it doesn't address the fact we need a solid long term option up top.

I think we'll get 2 half decent seasons out of him max, it's a helluva investment for someone like that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
My point of contention is the belief that a new striker would've won us the title. I've seen that said a few times with seemingly absolute certainty and I don't buy into that same level of complete confidence.

Our goal scoring and defended stats are not especially different to that of Leicesters or Tottenhams

Man City the top scorers got five more goals than us in a season where we registered our lowest goal tally for seven years

Away from home we scored more goals than anyone else but we couldn't hold onto leads or we were having to come from behind, and at home a better striker could have got us points at home to Liverpool, Southampton, Swansea and Crystal Palace.

Could have even got us back into the game against West Ham and Chelsea

Away from home, we had two goalless draws from
Seven so the problem came with an inability to close out the game.

Power n Glory
06-06-2016, 03:24 PM
Agree, but wouldn't a top striker have made a difference in those games too?

Probably. But if we're talking about a top striker that's dependent on service, I don't really know.

Kano
06-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Our goal scoring and defended stats are not especially different to that of Leicesters or Tottenhams

Man City the top scorers got five more goals than us in a season where we registered our lowest goal tally for seven years

Away from home we scored more goals than anyone else but we couldn't hold onto leads or we were having to come from behind, and at home a better striker could have got us points at home to Liverpool, Southampton, Swansea and Crystal Palace.

Just looking at three key games last season, Southampton was just miserable and down to defence and midfield. Wenger himself said we lost because Southampton won more challenges in key areas. Walcott had more touches in our own half than theirs, despite us having 65% of possession! Man Utd away and Swansea at home we had no energy, seemingly no focus in important matches. A striker wouldn't have helped us then because the problems were everywhere else. One of those across the season was as you point out, failure to see out and control matches.

Kano
06-06-2016, 03:33 PM
He's got a big decision to make, I'm not even sure if we have offered him first team football, well through the middle. I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if Wenger stuck him on the wing assuming he does join.

The more time I have had to think about this deal the more uneasy I am with it. Yeah he's a decent enough player, yeah he scored a bucket load last season, some of them very good goals...I'm just not sure he's right for us and it doesn't address the fact we need a solid long term option up top.

I think we'll get 2 half decent seasons out of him max, it's a helluva investment for someone like that.

Not particularly a fan of this potential signing but I read something today that made sense. We took one of Leicester's analysts last season and he is surely able to provide real insight into Vardy's physical capabilities, on top of the endless amount of info the scouts at Arsenal already have. So perhaps the feeling is he may well be able to keep it up for 3/4 seasons.

fakeyank
06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Vardy is a good buy for any team (at least for the next 2 years). I just do not think he is the right buy for a team like Arsenal. Unless Wenger is changing Arsenal's style of play dramatically, I just cannot see how Vardy will more effective than Giroud.

Kano
06-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Saw this earlier in the season too (mid April)

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/forget-the-title-arsenal-s-leading-issue-leaves-them-scrapping-for-a-top-four-finish-a3227581.html

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Not particularly a fan of this potential signing but I read something today that made sense. We took one of Leicester's analysts last season and he is surely able to provide real insight into Vardy's physical capabilities, on top of the endless amount of info the scouts at Arsenal already have. So perhaps the feeling is he may well be able to keep it up for 3/4 seasons.

He doesn't have the same miles on the clock that a normal 29 year old striker would so I reckon there's plenty left in the engine. He seems like one of those wiry and naturally fit kind of people anyway...this is all until our medical team get their hands on him of course.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-06-2016, 03:54 PM

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/forget-the-title-arsenal-s-leading-issue-leaves-them-scrapping-for-a-top-four-finish-a3227581.html

I don't think we especially had to play well to get more points in the fixtures you've cited

Southampton was probably one of the most shambolic performances in recent years and does exemplify your point

But let's be fair, a decent striker we could have finished off Swansea, Palace, Southampton and probably got more against West Ham and Chelsea if we had been able to find the net, in those five fixtures you cited we scored two goals.

The performances were too often sub par, but even despite that I still think a more prolific goal scorer could have bagged us 12-15 more points.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 04:03 PM

When you're leading games by the odd goal it doesn't really matter how good or bad you are at the back, it only takes a second for a moment of genius, bad luck or error to occur and everything is undone. There were too many games last season I felt we were plodding along and not killing games off when the opportunities were there.

Goals take the game away from an opponent, that's why I think the lack of a consistent striker is the biggest issue for a team like us where attack is the best form of defence.

Kano
06-06-2016, 04:09 PM
I don't think we especially had to play well to get more points in the fixtures you've cited

Southampton was probably one of the most shambolic performances in recent years and does exemplify your point

But let's be fair, a decent striker we could have finished off Swansea, Palace, Southampton and probably got more against West Ham and Chelsea if we had been able to find the net, in those five fixtures you cited we scored two goals.

The performances were too often sub par, but even despite that I still think a more prolific goal scorer could have bagged us 12-15 more points.

The reason I picked those three out was because the most noticeable problem on the day was how lacklustre we appeared in our approach. A real lack of urgency despite what winning them would have meant at the time. A better striker would have helped but under Wenger it just wouldn't be enough. The squad we had should've been enough given the level of competition last season but we didn't even challenge in the end.

selassie
06-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Interesting, don't get me wrong I'm not against us signing him and if he provides 2, 3 or even 4 seasons for us like he has just done for Leicester then it's money very well spent.

About the potential, I meant that it would be preferable to sign someone in their early to mid 20's who could deliver straight away and for many years after that but that's kind of unrealistic because there doesn't appear to be anybody out there who is obtainable that fits the profile.

Power n Glory
06-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Funny you mention one player getting us 12-15 points. Wasn't Cech supposed toto be worth that much in points to the team? But somehow we end up with less points by the end of the season. We'll always be unlucky in some area. It's a stream of failure with Wenger. Can't be contained to one area because we take to long to build. Come next season we'll probably have to come to grips with an aging defence and maybe an uninspired Ozil.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-06-2016, 05:04 PM

And given all the frustration around the manager and his set-up, it feels like a nonsense to sweep all of that away in the name of one type of player not being in the team.

To be fair Liverpool came only one Gerrard slip away from winning that outright and were only just pipped by a team who had themselves also managed to score a shedload of goals that season (Aguero and Negredo went mental that year iirc).

Someone will lookup it up but it's no coincidence that the team that scores the most goals in a season is usually the team that wins the league. Sure it's no guarantee of success but it'll put you in pole position.

Kano
06-06-2016, 05:22 PM
To be fair Liverpool came only one Gerrard slip away from winning that outright and were only just pipped by a team who had themselves also managed to score a shedload of goals that season (Aguero and Negredo went mental that year iirc).

Someone will lookup it up but it's no coincidence that the team that scores the most goals in a season is usually the team that wins the league. Sure it's no guarantee of success but it'll put you in pole position.
I think you're probably right about top scorers winning the league on most occasions.

In addition to that the champions typically have a great midfield, organised defence, focus well on the important games, aren't decimated by injuries and get goals from midfield too. I'm just not comfortable with the revisionist idea that one player would've meant we didn't end the season utterly frustrated, with so many other departments left unresolved.

McNamara That Ghost...
06-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Make a decision FFS.

Japan Shaking All Over
06-06-2016, 05:42 PM
There is no way the England camp are going to want this to drag on so close to Euro kick off.......shrewd by us for once because that would have been in the back of our mind with regards to the timing of the tabling of the bid

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Encouraging words from Okazaki regarding Vardy's style of play;

‘I think he has the potential to adapt to any style of soccer. At Leicester, we just happened to play the way we did and he fit fine,’ Okazaki told the Japan Times.

‘But even in a team that plays possession soccer, he has that sudden burst of speed and there are a lot of players at Arsenal who will notice that right away and play to that strength of his, like the way they did with Danny Welbeck.

‘He’s not someone who only tries to get behind the defence, though. He picks his spots.

‘Someone like me, I have to really get set up and then go but he can quicken instantly, go from zero to full speed. He can adjust to any style.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3627794/Jamie-Vardy-success-Arsenal-adapt-style-insists-Leicester-team-mate-Shinji-Okazaki.html

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
The reason I picked those three out was because the most noticeable problem on the day was how lacklustre we appeared in our approach. A real lack of urgency despite what winning them would have meant at the time. A better striker would have helped but under Wenger it just wouldn't be enough. The squad we had should've been enough given the level of competition last season but we didn't even challenge in the end.

I don't disagree at all, what I'm saying is given the performances weren't up to scratch....we'd have benefited greatly from a better striker.

Munchies
06-06-2016, 08:12 PM
C'mon FFS

Letters
06-06-2016, 08:14 PM
He's being such a prick tease :sulk:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-06-2016, 08:50 PM
The olny reason not to have bid for him in Jan, is the fear of hamstrunging Leicester and cocking it up anyway and letting Tottenham win it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-06-2016, 09:06 PM
He's being such a prick tease :sulk:

I worry about you, first the drone and now this.

Munchies
06-06-2016, 09:54 PM
John Cross just said that Vardy is strongly considering the Leicester offer, which is also now in six figures

We got played for a better contract :doh:

McNamara That Ghost...
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Well no shit given he hasn't decided to join us yet.

Cross is an idiot.

Niall_Quinn
06-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Slightly worrying that we're having trouble attracting a player from Leicester City. We don't seem to have a Real Madrid aura about us these days. No fucking way would I turn down Arsenal if I was in his position. Especially as it's the club I support.

Marc Overmars
06-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Sign of the times I guess. We might have a lot of history but Vardy was 17 when we last won the title. We are perceived very differently now and it's just something we have to accept until we achieve something good enough to alter that perception.

I reckon he'd be long gone if it was City who made the offer but it's us, a club stuck in a perennial state of stagnation.

Kano
06-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Sign of the times I guess. We might have a lot of history but Vardy was 17 when we last won the title. We are perceived very differently now and it's just something we have to accept until we achieve something good enough to alter that perception.

I reckon he'd be long gone if it was City who made the offer but it's us, a club stuck in a perennial state of stagnation.
Thing is at Leicester it's not going to get any better than it currently is. Legends for life at the club but they aren't going to defend the title and given his limited years left, the opportunity won't be plentiful. Apparently the contract clauses at the club come with a few conditions, timing being one them, I guess to allow the club enough time to get in replacements. So if he doesn't take this chance he may well have to wait until next summer for another one. He had a lookalike in Leicester who was making a bit of money until recently but that guy has been told in no short terms by his agent not to cross the line and 'damage' Vardy's brand. So he's obviously ruthless and looking at the money he can make of his image right now, a more prestigious club can surely only enhance that worldwide. Also the rumour was that this transfer had been kicking around for a couple of weeks before it became public. For all we know the decision could already be made but maybe kept quiet so Leicester can get a replacement onboard. Who knows.

Xhaka Can’t
06-06-2016, 11:05 PM
We are not a draw and have little to offer that Leicester can't. If this does not come off, we are probably going to have to take a risk in the European market.

We desperately need to strengthen our striking capability but as has been mentioned already, it won't be enough because our biggest weakness by far isn't even on the pitch.

Munchies
06-06-2016, 11:12 PM

Holy shit, really hits home that

I am invisible
07-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Holy shit, really hits home that

Yeah man, I've finished Uni, moved to London, moved back to Southend, gone from a junior to a senior member of staff, bought and renovated a house, settled down with the missus and become a Dad since we last won the league!

Munchies
07-06-2016, 07:59 AM
Yeah man, I've finished Uni, moved to London, moved back to Southend, gone from a junior to a senior member of staff, bought and renovated a house, settled down with the missus and become a Dad since the last won the league!

Congrats mate! :gp:

We should've won it atleast 3 times in the period, but it is what it is, tactics/lack of signings let us down as per usual.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 08:57 AM
We are not a draw and have little to offer that Leicester can't. If this does not come off, we are probably going to have to take a risk in the European market.

We desperately need to strengthen our striking capability but as has been mentioned already, it won't be enough because our biggest weakness by far isn't even on the pitch.

Was about to say it may have more to with him being loyal to Leicester than being about us not being a main draw, but then I thought about our record again.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 09:12 AM
It depends what Leicester have offered him contract wise, whatever we say about chances of winning etc that's essentially what players consider above all else.

Letters
07-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Last time we won it Letters had hair.

You said has :pal:

True though.

Last time Spurs won it my dad had hair.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 09:26 AM
You said has :pal:

True though.

Last time Spurs won it my dad had hair.

Last time Spurs won it, my grandad had hair and my dad was still in primary school.

I am invisible
07-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Congrats mate! :gp:

We should've won it atleast 3 times in the period, but it is what it is, tactics/lack of signings let us down as per usual.

Cheers pal!

Could be worse - imagine being born a spud! [shudder]

Letters
07-06-2016, 09:42 AM
We wouldn't have signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech or Xhaka if we weren't a draw.
Players will go anywhere if you wave enough money and convince them you have ambition, shouldn't be hard for us to do that, we did just finish 2nd and we have the money to compete.
I do understand Vardy's dilemma though, we are obviously a bigger club than Leicester and if he believes he could help us win the league and that Leicester won't repeat their heroics, which seems unlikely, then a move to us would be attractive. On the other hand they must have a great team spirit at Leicester and he does owe them, having plucked him from obscurity. He has the chance to be a real legend at the club.

I reckon he'll stay, but not because we're not a draw. If that was the case he'd have made his decision by now.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Cheers pal!

Could be worse - imagine being born a spud! [shudder]

Was in my second year of Uni when we last won the title, was home during Easter break for the game at WHL. Watched the game in the 12 pins, earlier in the day Newcastle beat Chelsea which meant we only needed a draw for the title.

Since then graduated from Uni, moved home to Essex, string of jobs in London and now live and work in Chelmsford

Gooner23
07-06-2016, 09:45 AM
If he's digging his heels in the hope of another club coming in for him we should just move on to someone else.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 09:46 AM
We wouldn't have signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech or Xhaka if we weren't a draw.
Players will go anywhere if you wave enough money and convince them you have ambition, shouldn't be hard for us to do that, we did just finish 2nd and we have the money to compete.
I do understand Vardy's dilemma though, we are obviously a bigger club than Leicester and if he believes he could help us win the league and that Leicester won't repeat their heroics, which seems unlikely, then a move to us would be attractive. On the other hand they must have a great team spirit at Leicester and he does owe them, having plucked him from obscurity. He has the chance to be a real legend at the club.

I reckon he'll stay, but not because we're not a draw. If that was the case he'd have made his decision by now.

We're very unlikely to win the title next season so it doesn't make sense for him to tarnish his rep with Leicester for us.

Letters
07-06-2016, 09:51 AM
We're very unlikely to win the title next season so it doesn't make sense for him to tarnish his rep with Leicester for us.

That's your opinion, and I'm inclined to agree - it'll be a real dogfight for the top 4 next year, let alone the title.
But if his opinion is his goals can help us win the title next year - and IMO they would have done last year - then it will be a tempting move for him.
It doesn't matter what you or I think, just what he thinks. If Wenger convinces him he's going to finally show some ambition and push hard for the title next year then it may sway him.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 10:07 AM
According to Arseblog it's over the fact that we've offered him a three year contract and Leicester City have offered a four year one.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 10:10 AM
That's your opinion, and I'm inclined to agree - it'll be a real dogfight for the top 4 next year, let alone the title.
But if his opinion is his goals can help us win the title next year - and IMO they would have done last year - then it will be a tempting move for him.
It doesn't matter what you or I think, just what he thinks. If Wenger convinces him he's going to finally show some ambition and push hard for the title next year then it may sway him.

He's just come off a title win with Leicester City and it sounds like we need him more than he needs us. He'll have to come up with more than the promise of a title challenge.

selassie
07-06-2016, 10:16 AM

Yep, especially the part highlighted, I think if City or United were in for him he'd be long gone.

Letters
07-06-2016, 10:20 AM
They're not going to repeat it though, are they?
EDIT: That was at PnG.

selassie
07-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Sad thing is they probably have as much chance of winning it again as we do winning it.

Marc Overmars
07-06-2016, 10:28 AM
He's just come off a title win with Leicester City and it sounds like we need him more than he needs us. He'll have to come up with more than the promise of a title challenge.

Reportedly he wants assurances of being first choice. It's quite feasible that Wenger would put him on the wing and persist with Giroud in the centre.

Letters
07-06-2016, 10:33 AM
Sad thing is they probably have as much chance of winning it again as we do winning it.

Nah.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 10:35 AM
They're not going to repeat it though, are they?
EDIT: That was at PnG.

They’re not favourites but neither are we. Unless we’re offering a massive contract that Leicester can’t top, I can’t see why he’d risk the wrath of the Leicester fans just to make this move.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Reportedly he wants assurances of being first choice. It's quite feasible that Wenger would put him on the wing and persist with Giroud in the centre.

Which is something else he has to consider.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 10:39 AM
If we really want him, we'll have to offer him really good wages. Something Leicester won't match.

Özim
07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
Who would have believed 10 years ago we were finding it hard to sign someone from Leicester, I don't particularly want him here however it does how our stock has fallen due to lack of success, like someone else said it this had been Man U, Chelsea or Man City he'd be gone like a shot.

If you want evidence of how our performance in the last 10 years affects us, here it is plain as day.

Letters
07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
They’re not favourites but neither are we. Unless we’re offering a massive contract that Leicester can’t top, I can’t see why he’d risk the wrath of the Leicester fans just to make this move.

I actually agree, I don't think he'll move either but I can see why he might be tempted to.

LDG
07-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Nah.

Well, we're not gonna win it, and nor are they....so......yeah.

Letters
07-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Who would have believed 10 years ago we were finding it hard to sign someone from Leicester, I don't particularly want him here however it does how our stock has fallen due to lack of success, like someone else said it this had been Man U, Chelsea or Man City he'd be gone like a shot.

If you want evidence of how our performance in the last 10 years affects us, here it is plain as day.

Oh stop. We've signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech and Xhaka in the last few years. Ozil specifically said he came because of a call Wenger.
Our stock might have fallen somewhat, but not to the extent you suppose.

Letters
07-06-2016, 10:55 AM

They won't, we might. So nah.

Kano
07-06-2016, 11:07 AM

He may already have made his decision. This transfer started two weeks before we knew about it apparently.

Gooner23
07-06-2016, 11:07 AM
We won't win it next year, we still have Wenger at the helm.

The only hope I have is signing better calibre players now at least gives the next man something to work with in a years time (big assumption I know), and also keeps Ozil / Sanchez interested. Or at the very least gives us more enjoyable football to watch.

Kano
07-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Comes down to money because if he's smart he'll realise last year was a one off. Defending the title with any team is immensely tough. Leave as a legend. Come to Arsenal, get more exposure for his sponsorship etc, better wages and hopefully when Wenger leaves have another shot at the title. He surely can't just want Leicester as the pinnacle of his club career.

Letters
07-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Comes down to money because if he's smart he'll realise last year was a one off. Defending the title with any team is immensely tough. Leave as a legend. Come to Arsenal, get more exposure for his sponsorship etc, better wages and hopefully when Wenger leaves have another shot at the title. He surely can't just want Leicester as the pinnacle of his club career.

I was looking at his stats, in the 4 seasons came from Fleetwood he's had 2 in the Championship and 2 in the Premier League.
In each pair he's not scored many in the 1st of those two and then done quite well in the 2nd - particularly last year of course.
So there is cause to think that on both occasions he's taken a season to bed in and get used to the new level and then done better the following year.
I still think last year was probably his annus mirabilis and he's unlikely to repeat it, but I don't think he'll be a complete flop next year wherever he is.

Kano
07-06-2016, 11:36 AM
I was looking at his stats, in the 4 seasons came from Fleetwood he's had 2 in the Championship and 2 in the Premier League.
In each pair he's not scored many in the 1st of those two and then done quite well in the 2nd - particularly last year of course.
So there is cause to think that on both occasions he's taken a season to bed in and get used to the new level and then done better the following year.
I still think last year was probably his annus mirabilis and he's unlikely to repeat it, but I don't think he'll be a complete flop next year wherever he is.

I was talking more about staying with Leicester and defending the title, rather than him as a striker. I still don't see how he would fit in with what we do and I struggle to see Wenger being able to successfully dump 10 years of playing one way in one summer, made worse by the Euro's. As always I'd love to be proved wrong but I just don't see it right now. There are rumours that his clause is time sensitive, in that he can only leave in a certain small window, which may explain our unusually proactive move for him. If stays at Leicester and doesn't come close to what he's done this year, then he might not get another chance like this. And while I'm not exactly behind this signing 100% it at least feels different and adds a bit of excitement for once.

selassie
07-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Nah.

I'd be shocked if we win it again with Wenger in charge.

Letters
07-06-2016, 11:42 AM
You lot are such a load of Eeyores

:ilt:

Kano
07-06-2016, 11:44 AM
There's always next season under Wenger

:letters:

Özim
07-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Oh stop. We've signed Ozil, Sanchez, Cech and Xhaka in the last few years. Ozil specifically said he came because of a call Wenger.
Our stock might have fallen somewhat, but not to the extent you suppose.

Ozil was surplus to requirements, Real had signed a number of players and needed to sell, not sure who else was in for him either as good as he is. Xhaka, no offence he's a nobody, noone has ever heard of him.

Cech again needed a way out of Chelsea, again I'm not sure who else offered him a contract, if he didn't have any bigger clubs in for him it wasn't much of a choice.

Sanchez chose between us and Liverpool another team who's stock is nowehere near what it was.

Let's see what happens if we go head to head with successful teams, pretty sure we'd come out losers, because in the end success matters to players.

Penguin
07-06-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm starting to think that Theo wants out and Vardy is his replacement. I wouldn't put it past Wenger...

Özim
07-06-2016, 11:47 AM
I'd be shocked if we win it again with Wenger in charge.

Me too, he's proved over 10 years he just can't hack it anymore at the very top level.

Özim
07-06-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to think that Theo wants out and Vardy is his replacement. I wouldn't put it past Wenger...

Makes sense, Wenger is probably trying to break even, or go as close as he can to.

Gooner23
07-06-2016, 11:52 AM

I hope not, we should be going all out for Mkhitaryan or Mahrez to play wide.

GP
07-06-2016, 11:52 AM
This thread... honestly :rolleyes:

Gooner23
07-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Makes sense, Wenger is probably trying to break even, or go as close as he can to.

Na, I reckon the club / Wenger will spunk a load of money this summer. Whether it will improve our chances of winning anything is a different debate.

Letters
07-06-2016, 12:20 PM
This thread... honestly :rolleyes:

It's kinda why I'm getting fed up of this place. Every thread descends to the same whining and misery. No other view is allowed.

Kano
07-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Not sure I've seen anyone say opposing opinions aren't allowed. That's just your excuse.

Letters
07-06-2016, 12:39 PM
Not sure I've seen anyone say opposing opinions aren't allowed. That's just your excuse.

I've given a different view, and at the top of this page there's you WUMming about it :good:

Kano
07-06-2016, 12:41 PM
You give it, you take it. That's the way it works.

GP
07-06-2016, 12:45 PM
It's kinda why I'm getting fed up of this place. Every thread descends to the same whining and misery. No other view is allowed.

The way people act like we're some little tin-pot club, like our greatest achievement is the North Norfolk Hospital Radio Cup (shared)

Our own fans don't know how massive we are.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 12:46 PM
I've given a different view, and at the top of this page there's you WUMming about it :good:

Difference between being allowed to express a view and the right not to have that view mocked

Kano
07-06-2016, 12:47 PM
our greatest achievement is the North Norfolk Hospital Radio Cup (shared).
I really enjoyed that season.

selassie
07-06-2016, 12:49 PM
The way people act like we're some little tin-pot club, like our greatest achievement is the North Norfolk Hospital Radio Cup (shared)

Hardly, folks have just gotten use to us scraping around the barrel.

Technically we are a massive club, it's about time we started showing the ambition of one. So far this summer Wenger seems to be showing some ambition so I can't fault him on that.

LDG
07-06-2016, 12:54 PM

We're a huge club. But we're not reaching our potential, and we all know the reasons why.

The debate occurred because some don't agree that having a "Vardy" would have won us the league last term. The reasons behind that are self evident, and are backed up by the last ten years.

If you said Suarez, then maybe you're talking the difference, as he can just do it on his own. The way we play, and the way we revert to type year on year restricts the impact new recruits may have, as we have seen with Ozil and Sanchez.

If you're talking about doing the club down as some non-entity, then I agree, some people will go to any lengths to diminish the club's stature, but I must admit, the frustration of seeing the same mistakes being made, and the distancing of the club from it's fans makes it hard to back the club up!

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 01:35 PM
We're a huge club. But we're not reaching our potential, and we all know the reasons why.

The debate occurred because some don't agree that having a "Vardy" would have won us the league last term. The reasons behind that are self evident, and are backed up by the last ten years.

If you said Suarez, then maybe you're talking the difference, as he can just do it on his own. The way we play, and the way we revert to type year on year restricts the impact new recruits may have, as we have seen with Ozil and Sanchez.

If you're talking about doing the club down as some non-entity, then I agree, some people will go to any lengths to diminish the club's stature, but I must admit, the frustration of seeing the same mistakes being made, and the distancing of the club from it's fans makes it hard to back the club up!

I think Vardy’s a good player but not special. Maybe time can convince me otherwise but I can’t help but think if Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott were playing for Leicester City, they wouldn’t look half as woeful as they do for us. Giroud playing up front with Welbeck or Walcott as his partner would probably be a deadly combination, especially if playing on the counter. We don’t get the best out of our players and Leicester were able to. They function very well on a whole which is why I worry about bringing one component in and assuming it will work for us. You get a different animal when playing in the right system and brimming with confidence.

It shouldn’t be a crime to question this move.

As for the big club thing, I still think we can draw big players but it all depends on the circumstance. With Vardy, the English spotlight is on him and I guessing he wants to show some loyalty to his old club and fans. I have no idea who he grew up supporting but I doubt he was an Arsenal fan. But regardless of that I think we’d have to splash the money on his wages and do a little more than depend on our rep as an elite club to get him here.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 01:35 PM
News now saying Vardy will decide after the Euros.

Marc Overmars
07-06-2016, 01:42 PM

If that's the case we should tell him to do one and look elsewhere.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Nah, let him take his time and we'll just look elsewhere. If we've found someone else by the time he's decided that's his business.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 01:51 PM

I agree, I think we as a club have gone about things the right way but if the player can't make his mind up and leaves us tagging along just to sign up again with Leicester or holding out for a bigger move elsewhere based on his euro performances he can fuck right off.

He has said previously that he doesn't want to live in London hasn't he?

I am invisible
07-06-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't see why Vardy couldn't work well for us? Sure, there'd be some adaptation required as the player and the team work each other out, but he looks like he scores a good variety of goals to me, not just counters, and he does well enough with the national side, which is about erratic as it gets when it comes to team mates, tactics, and playing styles?

Also, consider this... next season we'll be looking at Guardiola at City, Mouron at man u, Conte at Chelsea, Klopp after his first summer window at 'Pool, can't see Poch and spufs being any weaker, Leicester could still be a solid side, West Ham look decent under Bilic, Everton look like they're going to have increased backing and a new manager... and that's before we even think about the likes of Barca, Bayern, Madrid, etc in Europe! The point is there's gonna be a lot of tough games to come next year, where we're going to get pressed hard and deep, and will get every bit as good as good as we give - even if Vardy is all about the counters, it might not be the daftest idea in the world to invest in some players who can help us build that side of out game? I can see there being a lot of opportunity to practice it next year!

I am invisible
07-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Nah, let him take his time and we'll just look elsewhere. If we've found someone else by the time he's decided that's his business.

:good:

At 29 years old, I'm not convinced he'd be our only striker signing anyway? Working on the assumption that this would pretty much spell the end of Walcott's Arsenal career, then our CF options would be...

Vardy, 29
Giroud, 30 (31 in September!)
Welbeck, 25

...to be honest, I'm not expecting to see Welbeck back until well into 2017, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we didn't see him in any meaningful way until the 2017/18 season, so I just don't see how Vardy could be the solution on his own. Feels more like a bit of opportunism after finding out about his release clause, that could end up being cost-neutral if we can shift Theo on?

Kano
07-06-2016, 02:09 PM
Messi it is then.

Letters
07-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Messi it is then.

He wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 02:23 PM
:good:

At 29 years old, I'm not convinced he'd be our only striker signing anyway? Working on the assumption that this would pretty much spell the end of Walcott's Arsenal career, then our CF options would be...

Vardy, 29
Giroud, 30 (31 in September!)
Welbeck, 25

...to be honest, I'm not expecting to see Welbeck back until well into 2017, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we didn't see him in any meaningful way until the 2017/18 season, so I just don't see how Vardy could be the solution on his own. Feels more like a bit of opportunism after finding out about his release clause, that could end up being cost-neutral if we can shift Theo on?

Giroud is 30 in september, he is currently 29

I am invisible
07-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Giroud is 30 in september, he is currently 29

Typo - meant to say 29, but might as well consider him 30.

Point is, it's hardly a long-term set of options we'd be looking at there, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were other plans afoot, irrespective of whether Vardy joins...

Kano
07-06-2016, 03:00 PM
He wouldn't make any difference anyway.

See, you can speak after all.

selassie
07-06-2016, 03:05 PM
I agree, I think we as a club have gone about things the right way but if the player can't make his mind up and leaves us tagging along just to sign up again with Leicester or holding out for a bigger move elsewhere based on his euro performances he can fuck right off.

He has said previously that he doesn't want to live in London hasn't he?

I don't want him either given the new information, if he takes him this long to decide if he wants a move here then I hope we pursue other targets.

He's stringing us along like a bitch.

Kano
07-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Which I assume will mean we'll hang on until the end of summer.

selassie
07-06-2016, 03:10 PM

:lol: He was probably our one and only target for centre forward, all the other names we've been linked to would cost a lot more and we would face heavy competition for their signature.

The Emirates Gallactico
07-06-2016, 03:22 PM
FFS, if he wants to drag this out we've got to look elsewhere.

Letters
07-06-2016, 03:23 PM
See, you can speak after all.

:lol:

Yeah, but you started it :sulk:

##

Letters
07-06-2016, 03:23 PM

I'm looking forward to deadline day, wondering if he'll sign da ting (Spoiler alert: He won't)

Özim
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Gotta laugh at the fact an average joe like Vardy has decided to keep us waiting until after the Euros, would never have happened with a player of his standard 10 years ago.

I hope we end our interest there, but I've seen comments about Wenger being confident he will sign, which can only mean we'll hang on all summer only to be rejected and the manager will be left with egg on his face, I hope we move on and find someone different (Janssen perhaps) but I suspect we won't.

Özim
07-06-2016, 03:38 PM
:lol: He was probably our one and only target for centre forward, all the other names we've been linked to would cost a lot more and we would face heavy competition for their signature.

Probably, we've got a history of only having one target and spending all summer chasing him only to miss out, at times even when the player or club has been adamant he's not leaving.

Gooner23
07-06-2016, 03:48 PM

I agree, sounds like he won't be making the decison til after the euros, by which time other clubs will probably be sniffing around. I really hope we're not putting all our eggs in one basket... again.

Özim
07-06-2016, 03:49 PM
I just don't see how Vardy could be the solution on his own. Feels more like a bit of opportunism after finding out about his release clause, that could end up being cost-neutral if we can shift Theo on?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Arsene Wenger

Re the opportunism, I agree, Wenger would have seen the price and thought that's quite cheap and so would have been enticed into making the bid.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-06-2016, 05:14 PM
I say fuck him.

It's also messing Leicester about too waiting until after the Euros should he actually decide to leave.

Also how can he focus on the Euros with his club status unresolved? Seems backwards to me.

Japan Shaking All Over
07-06-2016, 05:28 PM
I say fuck him.

It's also messing Leicester about too waiting until after the Euros should he actually decide to leave.

Also how can he focus on the Euros with his club status unresolved? Seems backwards to me.

Totally agree......would think that making a decision would have cleared his mind more......saying that he probably has already made up his mind and his mind is clear anyway but it's not like drawing it out affects any one but the two clubs, it wasn't like when LeBron was making his decision and the whole nba and some parts of world were on tender hooks

Was thinking that the timing was deliberate on our side maybe forcing a decision before Euros but as always seems to have backfired ......where is Wenger anyway, we have triggered the release clause so it's not like he can't come out and express interest or is it got something to do with euros again?

Japan Shaking All Over
07-06-2016, 05:29 PM

Reckon Vardy thinks he is the second coming of the man from Del Monte

Globalgunner
07-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Maybe his agent has told him Real Madrid are also on the lookout for a striker. A few goals in the Euros and bang! hes the new Michael Owen.
Does Owen speak Spanish by the way. Could it be possible?

Niall_Quinn
07-06-2016, 06:12 PM

Ah, I smell agent stench. Makes sense. Big offer from Leicester. Arsenal on the hook. Have a good Euro and maybe there's even more on the table. Have a poor one and the worst happens is he's twice as well off and playing for the champions. Fuck him then. You get a chance and you take it. Or don't. We can't be hanging around. Who's next?

fakeyank
07-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Just fucking get Lukaku and get this farce over with. Vardy can suck it.

Niall_Quinn
07-06-2016, 06:32 PM
£50mill for Lukaku? That would be craziest overspend in world history since anyone bought Sterling.

Power n Glory
07-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Ah, I smell agent stench. Makes sense. Big offer from Leicester. Arsenal on the hook. Have a good Euro and maybe there's even more on the table. Have a poor one and the worst happens is he's twice as well off and playing for the champions. Fuck him then. You get a chance and you take it. Or don't. We can't be hanging around. Who's next?

A ploy to drive more interest and thinks if he shines at the Euros he can demand more. He wants his moment to bask in the sun.

Would rather Janssen anyway. We should pursue him or even go for the French kid, Lacazette.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-06-2016, 07:23 PM
A ploy to drive more interest and thinks if he shines at the Euros he can demand more. He wants his moment to bask in the sun.

Would rather Janssen anyway. We should pursue him or even go for the French kid, Lacazette.

At the risk of being pedantic Lacazette is 25

Chippy
07-06-2016, 09:51 PM
At the risk of being pedantic Lacazette is 25

Don't be so fucking pedantic;)

Chippy
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Just fucking get Lukaku and get this farce over with. Vardy can suck it.

Agree. Vardy can fuck off. Cheeky cunt! We are Arsenal!

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Suddenly, Aubameyang to City is more likely than Vardy to us!

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-06-2016, 10:44 PM
And imagine after all this Jansen signs for Spurs!!

Munchies
07-06-2016, 11:06 PM

For only £12m too!

Özim
07-06-2016, 11:16 PM

At that price it's a no brainer, he may or may not come off, but if he doest he'll be worth 5 times that,we never seem to be interested in goalscorers like this, instead we go after an ageing forward with a poor goal record before last season who appears to be mugging us off, by not wanting to think about it till after the Euros.

He should do one, clearly he's not that interested in coming, so we should move on and find someone who is (and who's better).

Özim
07-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Suddenly, Aubameyang to City is more likely than Vardy to us!

We should be in for players like this, if we'd been clever we'd have gone in for him early instead of sitting on our arses, invariably we always miss out. Not saying we would get him as let's face it we not that attractive an option, but if we tried early we could have a chance of nicking players under the bigger clubs noses.

Anyway City with Aguero and this guy, we can kiss goodbye to any success with the influx of new top managers and invariably top signings, we'll get left behind and achieve nothing as usual.

Gazidis and co talk a good game but Vardy and Xhaka aren't exactly premium signings despite the price, I'd be more content if we at leat signed a forward with potential.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
08-06-2016, 06:54 AM
I don't share your views on Vardy but I do think we shouldn't be mugged off. Move the hell on and line up the next target? I assume we cannot rate young Janssen if we're just going to watch the shadow dwellers sign him.

Letters
08-06-2016, 07:04 AM
At that price it's a no brainer, he may or may not come off, but if he doest he'll be worth 5 times that,we never seem to be interested in goalscorers like this, instead we go after an ageing forward with a poor goal record before last season who appears to be mugging us off, by not wanting to think about it till after the Euros.

He should do one, clearly he's not that interested in coming, so we should move on and find someone who is (and who's better).

He hasn't got a poor record before last season. Leicester plucked him from the non-league because he had a fantastic scoring record at that level - 58 goals in 73 games.
He struggled in his first year in the Championship as he adjusted to the new level but the following season he did OK - not setting the world alight but he got 16 goals in the league.
The same pattern happened in the Premier League, struggled in his first season, did very well last year.

The fact is we don't know how he'll do in the next few years, he's not got a long history of scoring goals at the top level simply because he's not been at the top level for long enough, but he has scored a reasonable number of goals at every level he's played at.

It's rare for a player to make it so late in his career so he's a bit of an unknown quality, I doubt he'll have another season quite that good again but he is a goal scorer and we could do with one. But yes, if he's going to dick around then he can do one, there are players out there with a longer, proven track record who would probably be more expensive but are less of a gamble.

Özim
08-06-2016, 07:25 AM
He hasn't got a poor record before last season. Leicester plucked him from the non-league because he had a fantastic scoring record at that level - 58 goals in 73 games.
He struggled in his first year in the Championship as he adjusted to the new level but the following season he did OK - not setting the world alight but he got 16 goals in the league.
The same pattern happened in the Premier League, struggled in his first season, did very well last year.

The fact is we don't know how he'll do in the next few years, he's not got a long history of scoring goals at the top level simply because he's not been at the top level for long enough, but he has scored a reasonable number of goals at every level he's played at.

It's rare for a player to make it so late in his career so he's a bit of an unknown quality, I doubt he'll have another season quite that good again but he is a goal scorer and we could do with one. But yes, if he's going to dick around then he can do one, there are players out there with a longer, proven track record who would probably be more expensive but are less of a gamble.

Well yes he has, with all due respect non league is a very low level so that doesn't count for much, he's had 4 seasons with Leicester 2 in the championship (again a lower level) and his goal return has been:

Season Games Goals
2012-2013 29 5
2013-2014 41 16
2014-2015 36 5
2015-2016 38 24

That's a poor record in my book, the championship isnt that great and his best season was 16 goals in 41 games, not great. Last season was his only season of note which to me doesn't fill me with confidence.

We don't know but at 29 with his record the odds are against him IMO, based on his record at a higher level his record is average at best and even if you buy the period of adjustment comment for a new league/club you made then it suggest he'll get 5 goals for us next season or thereabouts next season, not good enough.

Players who have one good season are nothing new, it happens quite often so basing a signing on one season is very risky, especially at his age with no room to improve, I just think he's the wrong signing for all kinds of reasons and now he's stringing us along as well which is embarrassing, I can put up with that if it's a truly world class player with the world at his feet and plenty of options but not when it's a journeyman with one good season behind him.

Özim
08-06-2016, 07:31 AM
I don't share your views on Vardy but I do think we shouldn't be mugged off. Move the hell on and line up the next target? I assume we cannot rate young Janssen if we're just going to watch the shadow dwellers sign him.

You're entitled to your opinion, but we agree we should move on (I suspect we won't, we tend to let these things drag on). As for Janssen, Spurs don't even need him they already have a guy scoring a hatful up front, for 12 million though it's woth a punt, that's nothing in today's market, if he scores a hatful he'll be worth a fortune if not it's just 12 million, we'd probably get some of that back, plus at 21 he's got lots of time ahead of him.

Letters
08-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Non-league is low level but he scored enough goals to bring him to Leicester's attention and yes, his record at Leicester is as you say. He has had 2 seasons in the Championship and 2 in the Premier League.
In both pairs he struggled in his first season and did better in his second as he got used to the new level.
I do think last year was probably his best ever year, I doubt he'll top it, but over his whole career he's scored goals.
You wouldn't expect a player from the non-league to come straight into the top leagues and be scoring at the same rate but his speed of improvement gives signs for hope that he'll get a reasonable number of goals over the next few years.
His record is scoring goals at every level he's played at, including international level recently. If you look at the record of any striker playing at a new level - usually this would be at a young age - then there will generally be some poor seasons and then improvement, that's what we see with Vardy.
And the period of adjustment argument doesn't meant he'll get 5 goals for us, what kind of reasoning is that? I didn't say anything about a new club, it was a step up in level. We are in the same league as Leicester.