PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal's style v Chile's style

pakgunner
24-06-2016, 04:41 AM
I've been watching the Copa America to keep up with Alexis and I must say that their football has much been outstanding. It's very high paced pressing and passing that eventually breaks down opposition sin all areas of the game perhaps Arsenal should get the blue print and play similar, it is definitely pleasing Sanchez.

I am invisible
27-06-2016, 08:53 AM
I'm definitely a fan of the high-energy pressing game, but I'm not sure how well that Chilean style would translate to a club football across a whole season? Klopp and Pochettino usually adopt a similarly ferocious pressing game, and their teams tend to suffer from burnout quite badly as each season goes on - compare that to the way Pep's teams press, and it's a lot slower and more controlled, but still very effective (maybe even more effective), albeit not as much fun to watch. Something in between would probably be ideal: a team capabale of escalating the pace to uncomfrtable levels when needed, or slowing it right down and strangling the life out of the game to conserve energy. Much as I'd love to see us going at every opponent at 100mph for 90 minutes of every game, I just don't think we'd last 60+ games a season playing that way. Chile can get away with it because they're only looking at 6 games max. in the Copa, and then recovery management is somebody else's problem...

Marc Overmars
27-06-2016, 09:25 AM
It isn't something that can be turned on like a switch, you need a certain kind of player to play a pressing game and also a shift in mentality which comes from the manager. WUMger is too far gone, we just have to hope the players we do sign have these desired traits within themselves, like Alexis.

Niall_Quinn
27-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Watching Alexis play for Chilie and then watching him consigned to an Arsenal funeral procession demonstrates how we waste so much talent with our abhorrent style of play. I'm worried about how effective a passer Xhaka is. His talents will be used to make us even more docile, even more negative. Can you imagine Wenger managing Chile :lol:

I am invisible
27-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I still don't see this big problem we're meant to have with Alexis? He's banging them in at nearly a 1-in-2 ratio as we're currently using him - what's wrong with that?

Niall_Quinn
27-06-2016, 11:12 AM
I still don't see this big problem we're meant to have with Alexis? He's banging them in at nearly a 1-in-2 ratio as we're currently using him - what's wrong with that?

He's making it happen off his own back. And Wenger knows it too. Same as RvC. But that doesn't make a team in which each player is utilised to their full potential. The speed at which Chilie moved the ball around when they needed to, even in extra time when everyone was knackered, was in stark contract to the nonsense we play. They were't afraid to lose the ball either, although did you notice how technically superior they are in relation to their European counterparts? Their ambition outweighed their caution and that's the fundamental difference. Bloody joy watching that match.

selassie
27-06-2016, 02:01 PM
He's making it happen off his own back. And Wenger knows it too. Same as RvC. But that doesn't make a team in which each player is utilised to their full potential. The speed at which Chilie moved the ball around when they needed to, even in extra time when everyone was knackered, was in stark contract to the nonsense we play. They were't afraid to lose the ball either, although did you notice how technically superior they are in relation to their European counterparts? Their ambition outweighed their caution and that's the fundamental difference. Bloody joy watching that match.

:gp:

I didn't catch the game, but I saw them in the World Cup and the last Copa America and really liked their style of play. I'm with you on our style too, sad thing is we have a lot of players in our squad who could adapt quite easily to us being quicker in transition but Wenger quite clearly doesn't want us playing that way. :(