PDA

View Full Version : Rob Holding (official).

McNamara That Ghost...
22-07-2016, 07:40 PM
My Bolton supporting mate was quite impressed with him.

Granted it is against the backdrop of the sheer dross that was there last season.

Anyway, welcome. :bow:

Kano
22-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Holding :bow:

LDG
22-07-2016, 08:04 PM
The defender's Holding, the midfielder's Coq.

Japan Shaking All Over
23-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Owen Coyle's son welcome

Letters
24-07-2016, 06:29 AM
The defender's Holding, the midfielder's Coq.

:lol:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Similar condition to when we signed Sagna from a very poor struggling Auxerre wasn't it? He got into Ligue 1 team of the season.

Good luck to the lad.

Power n Glory
24-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Similar condition to when we signed Sagna from a very poor struggling Auxerre wasn't it? He got into Ligue 1 team of the season.

Good luck to the lad.

I dunno if it's similar. He's really young and was playing in the Championship with last season being the most he's played. It's a big step up. Was voted player of the season for Bolton but I don't know how good that is considering they were just relegated.

Good luck to the lad but I can't see him starting this season.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Similar but not identical. I think if he were ready to go into the first team we might have not spent 2 months deliberating and haggling over 1 million pounds but that's not the way I'm looking at the signing.

Where ever he has come from you can find good players any where. Particularly at that age.

Power n Glory
24-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Similar but not identical. I think if he were ready to go into the first team we might have not spent 2 months deliberating and haggling over 1 million pounds but that's not the way I'm looking at the signing.

Where ever he has come from you can find good players any where. Particularly at that age.

True but it's not as if we haven't gone down this path before and come up with a dud. I'm skeptical until I see the kid get a run in the team. In fact, I'm more so skeptical of our ability to coach this kid into a solid defender.

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2016, 01:59 PM
I dunno if it's similar. He's really young and was playing in the Championship with last season being the most he's played. It's a big step up. Was voted player of the season for Bolton but I don't know how good that is considering they were just relegated.

Good luck to the lad but I can't see him starting this season.

Or ever. And if he does he'll be played out of position. Same old shit, over and over. How many fans has the club got? We have to get to a point soon where the critical mass is reached and the majority of fans start to see through all this. Then it will just be plain nasty and the only people responsible will be the crusty old farts at the top and the henchman who pretends he is a football manager.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Incidentally, the backline can of course be improved, nevertheless, I think it is good enough to win a title. It's our attack that has been far from good enough for some time now...

Chambers was unlucky not to play more as he played reasonably well when he came in. Holding may be a dud, but he isn't a critical part of the jigsaw, neither would you expect him to be under the circumstances. In the same way Asano won't be!

Niall_Quinn
24-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Incidentally, the backline can of course be improved, nevertheless, I think it is good enough to win a title. It's our attack that has been far from good enough for some time now...

Chambers was unlucky not to play more as he played reasonably well when he came in. Holding may be a dud, but he isn't a critical part of the jigsaw, neither would you expect him to be under the circumstances. In the same way Asano won't be!

At a normal club you could say with some confidence these are reserve players. But you know what our squad depth is like in certain key areas and you'll be more than aware of our appalling record on keeping the players fit and injury free, and more importantly free from recurring injuries. Who knows what sort of ramshackle teams we'll put together over the coming season. All we know for certain is we'll be thoroughly unprepared for what lies ahead.

Power n Glory
24-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I think our backline is good enough when on their A game. Holding doesn't really matter. I still wonder why he has joined is though. Is he an Arsenal fan?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-07-2016, 03:53 PM
No brainer really.....as you say his team has been relegated and Arsenal come in for him. Even if he goes straight out on loan he will get a better club than Bolton!

Power n Glory
24-07-2016, 04:14 PM
No brainer really.....as you say his team has been relegated and Arsenal come in for him. Even if he goes straight out on loan he will get a better club than Bolton!

Were we the only club looking at him?

Letters
24-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Rob Holding holding Rob Holding

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/wrdrichard/Holding_zpsocbob4cx.jpg

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
25-07-2016, 01:41 AM

I don't imagine any other big club splitting hairs over an extra million......

So I assume we were

selassie
25-07-2016, 08:07 AM

Yes, Wenger vanity project?

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 09:05 AM
I don't imagine any other big club splitting hairs over an extra million......

So I assume we were

oh

:unsure: Not sure about this one at all.

Chippy
13-08-2016, 11:19 AM
My Bolton supporting mate was quite impressed with him.

Granted it is against the backdrop of the sheer dross that was there last season.

Anyway, welcome. :bow:

Will he play tomorrow? I just hope if he does, his confidence will not be damaged if we lose heavily.

Kano
13-08-2016, 11:34 AM
We won't lose heavily and I don't think he'll play. More likely Monreal and Chambers.

Chippy
14-08-2016, 04:59 PM
We won't lose heavily and I don't think he'll play. More likely Monreal and Chambers.

I was right on both counts :fury:

Marc Overmars
14-08-2016, 05:02 PM
He did alright in fairness.

Nice way to scar another young player Arsene. :good:

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 05:03 PM
He was better than Chambers, but that wasn't difficult. We managed to find a CB for £2.5mill, that's the main thing.

McNamara That Ghost...
14-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Chucking in a 20 year old lower league player to a Prem game to start. :bow:

Marc Overmars
14-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Chucking in a 20 year old lower league player to a Prem game to start. :bow:

The lower league is where the good players are now apparently.

adzzzbatch
14-08-2016, 05:08 PM
His first main contribution was to give away a free kick (a very very soft one), which was then scored from. Good times!

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Yeah but he's a kid who has no experience at this level. All he can do is his best. The fact his best is nowhere near the level we need is not his fault. It all comes back to one stubborn, horned creature.

Penguin
14-08-2016, 05:40 PM
He did OK. Which about what you can expect from a 20 year old with less than 40 games experience in the championship to his name.

Great idea to start him against Liverpool for the opener.

alexander
14-08-2016, 05:44 PM
The lower league is where the good players are now apparently.

Oh god he is trying to recreate leicester now....after the failed Barca experiment

Power n Glory
14-08-2016, 05:54 PM
Should never have been making his debut under such conditions. Wenger mentally destroys defenders and I hope that doesn't happen with this kid. No major mistakes but far from stable.

Gooner23
14-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I thought he looked ok. Could have got tighter for their 3Rd but if we actually taught our full backs how to cut out crosses the centre backs would be less exposed.

Goonermerree
14-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Should never have been making his debut under such conditions. Wenger mentally destroys defenders and I hope that doesn't happen with this kid. No major mistakes but far from stable.

He did it with Chambers when he first came. It was one of those rare years when we had a depleted squad due to injury. His confidence was shot a few matches in.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
14-08-2016, 08:41 PM
Chambers is the one I worry about. Today, for the first time, I looked at him and thought.....you're probably never going to be a top class CB.

radford78
14-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Agree re Chambers, he makes some really basic errors. Holding, considering where he has come from did better.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 09:08 PM
tbf to Chambers, he's been training with Wenger for much longer than Holding. I have every confidence Wenger can destroy Holding's potential and maybe even more quickly than he's done with Chambers. Perhaps stick him on the wing, play him in goal. None of it could be any more crazy than Wenger's management of Chambers so far.

Özim
14-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Let's not beat around the bush, he's a CB from a lower level, never going to be good enough for the PL at the moment (much like Jenkinson wasn't), had no business in playing today and never would have at any other club, but of course this club is a joke so it's nothing unexpected.

As for Chambers, thought it was odd we signed this him out of all Southampton players, he wasn't a standout player, just a cheap alternative to their star players, you get what you pay for as they say.

Power n Glory
14-08-2016, 09:21 PM
tbf to Chambers, he's been training with Wenger for much longer than Holding. I have every confidence Wenger can destroy Holding's potential and maybe even more quickly than he's done with Chambers. Perhaps stick him on the wing, play him in goal. None of it could be any more crazy than Wenger's management of Chambers so far.

Bingo. People forget how good Senderos looked when he first had to step in for an injured Sol Campbell. FA Cup win we beat Utd on penalties and during the CL final run. It didn't take long for the Wenger effect to kick in. Killed his confidence after a promising start. Same happend to Djourou. They start well and fall to pieces after a couple of seasons. Chambers used to look decent.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Let's not beat around the bush, he's a CB from a lower level, never going to be good enough for the PL at the moment (much like Jenkinson wasn't), had no business in playing today and never would have at any other club, but of course this club is a joke so it's nothing unexpected.

As for Chambers, thought it was odd we signed this him out of all Southampton players, he wasn't a standout player, just a cheap alternative to their star players, you get what you pay for as they say.

Soton fans rated Clyne > Chambers > Shaw and were gutted when Chambers left. He already looked like a very decent prospect in his first few games if you recall. Then Wenger did what he does with all young players, chucked him under a bus in a few key games and then started fucking around with his position and talking shit about him being a DM.

Özim
14-08-2016, 09:29 PM
Soton fans rated Clyne > Chambers > Shaw and were gutted when Chambers left. He already looked like a very decent prospect in his first few games if you recall. Then Wenger did what he does with all young players, chucked him under a bus in a few key games and then started fucking around with his position and talking shit about him being a DM.

Shaw was their star, let's not pretend otherwise, hence his price compared to the cheaper Chambers. Yes Wenger doesn't help, but his sh*t cheap signings that he rates as better than what we have and super super quality are largely laughable.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Bingo. People forget how good Senderos looked when he first had to step in for an injured Sol Campbell. FA Cup win we beat Utd on penalties and during the CL final run. It didn't take long for the Wenger effect to kick in. Killed his confidence after a promising start. Same happend to Djourou. They start well and fall to pieces after a couple of seasons. Chambers used to look decent.

Coq is one of the few to bounce back after being Wengerised. He was chucked under an 18 wheeler in that farcical 8-2 hammering by Utd. Took an age for him to find his way back and only then because Wenger's policies were changed by the only thing that seems to have any influence, injury.

Niall_Quinn
14-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Shaw was their star, let's not pretend otherwise, hence his price compared to the cheaper Chambers. Yes Wenger doesn't help, but his sh*t cheap signings that he rates as better than what we have and super super quality are largely laughable.

But that's not how the fans saw it. Shaw was #3. As it stands now Shaw will have a much better career than Chambers. But if the deals went the other way, Shaw to us, Chambers to Utd, it would be Chambers emerging now. And we all know why.

Penguin
26-08-2016, 05:12 AM
I don't know why we even bother signing young centre backs. We clearly don't know how to coach them. Kos and Merts already had a fair bit of experience behind them before they joined and they're the only two who have managed to form a half decent partnership.

Just buy players who know what they're doing FFS.

Goonermerree
26-08-2016, 12:12 PM
But that's not how the fans saw it. Shaw was #3. As it stands now Shaw will have a much better career than Chambers. But if the deals went the other way, Shaw to us, Chambers to Utd, it would be Chambers emerging now. And we all know why.

That reminds me of two other players who came from Southampton.

bignev
26-08-2016, 01:00 PM

But Shaw isn't really emerging now, he's just playing again. He was injured for basically the whole of last season. Which is something you would attribute to an Arsenal player normally.

Sometime you're right about Wenger and sometimes you just have a dig at him for no reason other than you can.