PDA

View Full Version : REALISTICALLY, what striker do you want Wenger to sign ?

dostoy
25-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I mean realistically because there are so so many that will never come here, there are too many to name and if I did try to I'm sure I would forget some.

Please don't reply with the word 'anyone' because I want to hear names.

I would like to see Mario Gomez here from Fiorentina, he has said he will not go back to Turkey where he was on loan.

Don't forget, be realistic.

Thanks

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2016, 01:22 PM
I want him to go in with a huge bid for Lewandowski. Something that cannot be refused. If not that then Mahrez and Draxler and move Alexis and Theo up top in a 4-4-2.

NONE of that will ever happen. But it is 100% realistic for the club with the most cash in world football.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2016, 01:28 PM
I haven't seen much of him but Lacazette seems to have the desirable traits we want in a striker. Quick, athletic, versatile etc. Seems to be a fairly composed finisher as well.

Kano
25-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Messi

dostoy
25-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Why would Lewandowski want to leave Bayern and come here ?

Draxler is a possibility I suppose.

It will certainly not be Mahrez AND Draxler.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Messi

There is always one.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen much of him but Lacazette seems to have the desirable traits we want in a striker. Quick, athletic, versatile etc. Seems to be a fairly composed finisher as well.

Lacazette is borderline unrealistic because of the fee.

Özim
25-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I'd take Lacazette, wouldn't mind Draxler or Mahrez here as a winger not as a striker, then get rid of Wilshere and Walcott, if need be.

Özim
25-07-2016, 01:33 PM

It's not unrealistic, it's just that we won't pay the going rate. On that basis we can basically rule almost everyone out because we don't go for players like Janssen who go for less and we won't pay big money for top players.

Asano it is I guess.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2016, 01:34 PM

For a ridiculous amount of money.

But we should have started moving for the ideal player weeks ago. I guess at this late stage it's probably less than realistic. But he's genuine quality. The other names being bandied about are a significant step down, yet still cost a fortune. Crazy market. But that's what it is and if we want to be in it then it will cost us. That's the bit Wenger can't handle.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2016, 01:38 PM

By realistic, I mean they could be got if the will and effort was there. They are not unobtainable. I'm not associating realism with Wenger. If that's the condition then I guess realistically we can't get anyone decent because Wenger won't spend the money.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2016, 01:39 PM

Then we might as well give up because any decent striker with a scoring pedigree is going to cost big bucks.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Its not just about the transfer fee its about leaving a top club and coming here where you will win nothing but you will get paid a lot of money in wages.

I think its going to have to be someone from a club not as big as Arsenal and who would not cost more than about 25/30 million as well.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 01:55 PM
I have no idea. Lacazette should be our main target right now. We should have gone for Vincent Janssen but since we're looking back, I would have taken Higuain over Ozil.

selassie
25-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Probably Lacazette but he's far from ideal IMO. Our reluctance to paying up will no doubt bring down the list of possible candidates to quite a small list.

I would be quite up for Mahrez as a Winger but again I'm not convinced we'll pay what Leicester want.

GP
25-07-2016, 02:26 PM
Mauro Icardi.

Add a winger as well and we're in business.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 02:34 PM
I can't see Wenger going above 30 million having paid out about 33 million for Xhaka and 2 other bits as well.

I agree about Janssen, we should have him here.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 02:40 PM
I can't see Wenger going above 30 million having paid out about 33 million for Xhaka and 2 other bits as well.

I agree about Janssen, we should have him here.

I can't believe he paid that much for Xhaka to be honest. I can't see what he'll bring to this team that we're desperate for. We'll soon see.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Leadership is the biggest thing that Xhaka brings.

We know Wenger went for Vardy for about 20 million, if we had done that a year ago he would be here by now, although I don't blame Wenger for that.

He was from a smaller club and about 20 million.

That is what he is still looking for.

Özim
25-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Wenger doesn't believe in leadership so I doubt it.

Özim
25-07-2016, 03:30 PM
I can't believe he paid that much for Xhaka to be honest. I can't see what he'll bring to this team that we're desperate for. We'll soon see.

I can't either to be honest, we'll take him as hopefully he's a decent DM, but in reality the we needed a striker and a centre back more, he's now signed Elneny and this guy and we also have Coquelin. No DM for years and now he signs two in 6 months, what a joker.

Niall_Quinn
25-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Wenger doesn't believe in leadership so I doubt it.

Yes he does. He believes in the Glorious Leader. Himself.

Any other leader - GTFO!

bignev
25-07-2016, 03:42 PM
Lukaku is who we should sign. It makes sense on so many levels.

He scored 18 league goals (and 26 in all comps) for Everton last year and they were terrible for 1/2 the season. He's got premier league experience, he's young and he would fit nicely into our front line with Alexis and Mahrez (haha :pray:)

I would happily talk to him and convince him to sign. It would be so easy. Just remind him that Ozil, Cazorla and Alexis will be providing him with 5 chances minimum a match, he's guaranteed to score goals. He'll score 30+ goals a season and become the world class player he wants to be. Plus here's 150k a week. and we're in the CL.

Sell Walcott to Everton for 5m as part of the deal (hell just give him away to make it happen)

Yes we would have to pay £50m for him but so what? If we keep him for 5 years that's 10m a season which is good value. We'll spend that anyway buying and selling strikers in that time trying to find someone good.

fakeyank
25-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Lukaku is who we should sign. It makes sense on so many levels.

He scored 18 league goals (and 26 in all comps) for Everton last year and they were terrible for 1/2 the season. He's got premier league experience, he's young and he would fit nicely into our front line with Alexis and Mahrez (haha :pray:)

I would happily talk to him and convince him to sign. It would be so easy. Just remind him that Ozil, Cazorla and Alexis will be providing him with 5 chances minimum a match, he's guaranteed to score goals. He'll score 30+ goals a season and become the world class player he wants to be. Plus here's 150k a week. and we're in the CL.

Sell Walcott to Everton for 5m as part of the deal (hell just give him away to make it happen)

Yes we would have to pay £50m for him but so what? If we keep him for 5 years that's 10m a season which is good value. We'll spend that anyway buying and selling strikers in that time trying to find someone good.

:gp:

dostoy
25-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Lukaku would probably be my first choice striker for the reasons you mention but 50 million or more on top of everything else.

No chance whatsoever.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 03:56 PM
I can't either to be honest, we'll take him as hopefully he's a decent DM, but in reality the we needed a striker and a centre back more, he's now signed Elneny and this guy and we also have Coquelin. No DM for years and now he signs two in 6 months, what a joker.

Yeah, I don't think we've paid for leadership when looking at Xhaka.

I like Elneny and think he's a good edition. Coquelin is a solid player as well. Ramsey and Wilshere can provide cover and competition for CM and DM. Plus we have Cazorla who should remain first choice. I can't see the need for Xhaka to be honest and there wasn't anything in his game for Switzerland that I thought we badly miss in our team. Time will tell.

For me, if we're not going to get a striker then we need a goal scoring winger or a more attack minded AM. Heck, I'm tempted to say we should play Ozil as CM or out wide if we're sticking with Giroud up front. Let him dictate play from further back and get the ball to someone more aggressive when approaching the box. Ramsey, Cazorla or Sanchez maybe. Giroud needs to be able to play off someone that is going to get into the box as we saw from the Euros. He and Ozil are like oil and water. The only way I can Ozil supplying Giroud is through crosses so maybe we swap Ozil and Sanchez around.

Whatever happens, we need to try something different and Xhaka just doesn't look like he's going to be the difference.

bignev
25-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Lukaku would probably be my first choice striker for the reasons you mention but 50 million or more on top of everything else.

No chance whatsoever.

I agree we won't spend 50m on Lukaka but realistically we could afford to and he's a striker who would definitely improve us. I fully expect us to not sign a striker which is infuriating.

Munchies
25-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Lacazette is available

We just have to pay £40m for him which we don't want to do

Maybe he's worth £25m max, who cares, just bid the money and sell a waste of space like Theo ffs

Özim
25-07-2016, 04:21 PM
Lacazette is available

We just have to pay £40m for him which we don't want to do

Maybe he's worth £25m max, who cares, just bid the money and sell a waste of space like Theo ffs

I'd take Lacazette over Lukaku, as we saw in the Euro's Lukaku is clueless up front, terrible movement, awful finishing and seems a bit lazy too, Everton can keep him.

If a striker costs 40 million, pay the 40 million it's not like we're not rolling in it.

Munchies
25-07-2016, 04:28 PM
I'd take Lacazette over Lukaku, as we saw in the Euro's Lukaku is clueless up front, terrible movement, awful finishing and seems a bit lazy too, Everton can keep him.

If a striker costs 40 million, pay the 40 million it's not like we're not rolling in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQhc8CBsjg

Seems to be good with the ball and at dribbling. Makes too much sense to not happen I guess. Realistically, he's the only striker we can get now.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Not 100% on Lacazette but Lukaku doesn't impress me at all. Too bulky and not enough movement that scares defenders.

Özim
25-07-2016, 04:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQhc8CBsjg

Seems to be good with the ball and at dribbling. Makes too much sense to not happen I guess. Realistically, he's the only striker we can get now.

Looks good to me and has a decent goal record and is at a good age.

Don't forget though that Wenger is the guy who's relied on Sanogo, Walcott and Giroud for years and then went on to sign Welbeck another guy with a poor goal record, seems to like strikers who can't score for toffee.

I've got no confidence we're going to get a striker, never mind someone decent.

Özim
25-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Not 100% on Lacazette but Lukaku doesn't impress me at all. Too bulky and not enough movement that scares defenders.

I don't rate the guy at all, he's very Heskey like and lacks the movement of a top class forward, watching him in the Euro's, some of his play was very amateurish.

The Emirates Gallactico
25-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Icardi or Lacazette.

Best two strikers currently available.

dostoy
25-07-2016, 06:09 PM
But are they available ?

I know everyone is available for far more than what their worth.

I don't think Wenger would pay the 40 million plus to get either of them.

Wenger wants 30 million maximum hence Asano and nobody else and that failed attempt for Vardy.

I still say Gomez although I fully understand he is probably not as good as others mentioned on here.

I can only think of one player, literally one, who was world class and who is still in his mid twenties and who probably could be signed for about 12 million maybe, and who is CERTAINLY on the market.

I hesitate to mention his name and I'm NOT saying we should sign him but maybe, just maybe, Wenger could get the best out of him, although it would be a BIG risk.

Can you think who ?

LDG
25-07-2016, 06:33 PM
But are they available ?

Wenger wants 30 million maximum hence Asano and nobody else and that failed attempt for Vardy.

I still say Gomez although I fully understand he is probably not as good as others mentioned on here.

I can only think of one player, literally one, who was world class and who is still in his mid twenties and who probably could be signed for about 12 million maybe, and who is CERTAINLY on the market.

I hesitate to mention his name and I'm NOT saying we should sign him but maybe, just maybe, Wenger could get the best out of him, although it would be a BIG risk.

Can you think who ?

He's a fucking nutcase.

Worth a punt though.

Gooner23
25-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Looks good to me and has a decent goal record and is at a good age.

Don't forget though that Wenger is the guy who's relied on Sanogo, Walcott and Giroud for years and then went on to sign Welbeck another guy with a poor goal record, seems to like strikers who can't score for toffee.

I've got no confidence we're going to get a striker, never mind someone decent.

Not that it's any real way to assess a player but that highlights clip doesn't impress me at all. I haven't really seen any of him but if those are the best bits I wouldn't be overly excited. Kept running into tackles, and finishing looks suspect.

Marc Overmars
25-07-2016, 07:00 PM
But are they available ?

Can you think who ?

Balotelli? He has the ability but unfortunately he will never have the mentality to become what people thought he could be. Stay well clear.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 07:19 PM
Balotelli? He has the ability but unfortunately he will never have the mentality to become what people thought he could be. Stay well clear.

Agreed. I was all for giving him a chance but Liverpool was his last chance to turn over a new leaf. He was coming off the back of a good season and scored 18 for Milan. Over the last two seasons, over 50 appearances he has only scored 7 goals. His mind isn't on football.

Power n Glory
25-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Robin Van Persie!

Marc Overmars
25-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Robin Van Persie!

Man, if only that cunt had stayed. He was in many ways the perfect striker for us.

Gooner23
25-07-2016, 07:49 PM
Ozil feeding him, he'd have been banging them in.

dostoy
26-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Yes I was thinking of Balotelli.

He is in his mid twenties, used to playing in England, would only be 12 million ish but could Wenger get the best out of him.

It would be his last chance really but it won't happen and I'm glad that it won't.

Who else is there though from a smaller club than Arsenal and not too expensive ?

Maestro
26-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Robin Van Persie!

Technically he was the perfect and unique 21st century striker and a natural progression from Thierry. Shame about the cuntishness at the end, but I guess he read straight through Wenger's bullshit.

Power n Glory
26-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Technically he was the perfect and unique 21st century striker and a natural progression from Thierry. Shame about the cuntishness at the end, but I guess he read straight through Wenger's bullshit.

I don't like how he has acted since leaving but I can understand why he left. Always have. They tried to ruin his name early by feeding stories to the press about wage demands being too high which was utter rubbish because a year later we had just signed Ozil and we're boasting about being able to afford the sort of wages Rooney was on - which is what RVP was on a year later at Utd.

It makes no sense to sell your captain and key player knowing you have a new sponsorship deal around the corner. Same goes for Alex Song. The club were on some bullshit and always have been. We've always spent a lot less than we could have and it's lead to players leaving.

Kano
26-07-2016, 07:16 PM

Or he's just a cunt.

bignev
27-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Yes I was thinking of Balotelli.

He is in his mid twenties, used to playing in England, would only be 12 million ish but could Wenger get the best out of him.

It would be his last chance really but it won't happen and I'm glad that it won't.

Who else is there though from a smaller club than Arsenal and not too expensive ?

Not going to be a popular choice and not one that I would personally push for but Benteke?

He's got to be better (more reliable) than Balotelli right?

dostoy
27-07-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes.

I had forgotten about Benteke.

I don't know if Liverpool would sell to us and if he would suit our style of play but we could do worse.

Of course, it won't happen.

Niall_Quinn
27-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Benteke is just as good, or bad, as Lukaku. If this is the level we are at then we won't be signing a striker to make a differences to those fine margins, instead we'll be signing a body to fill a spot when another body breaks down. These sort of players give us nothing new, they make up the numbers.

Gooner23
27-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Benteke is a donkey. No thanks.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Once upon a time I'd be excited about what Wenger might be able to achieve with Benteke..... Not so much now though.

Maestro
27-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Gabriel Barbosa and Gabriel Jesus, push the boat out and get both, and slap a £200m release clause on each. Financially very viable, a bag of loot and head to Brazil now. They are two of the most skilled and talented forwards around. Rough around the edges and yes just as risky as any signing, but given the prices some bog standard donkeys are going for then it's a no brainer. You don't need to be a scout to know these two have the potential to be the very best in the world, just watch some Brazilian football. There's a whole lot more talent in South America to choose from.

...and before you mention work permits, if our Kelechi Nwakali and City's Kelechi Iheanacho can get a work permit, then these two Brazilians can certainly get a work permit.

,,,damn, then I woke up realised this is Arsenal and its cabal of Wenget, Ivan, Stan & the muppet board. We are the muppet show.

dostoy
24-08-2016, 02:05 PM
What about Javier Hernandez, the ex Man Utd player ?

He is 28 and has experience of the EPL and surely would choose Arsenal over Bayer Leverkusen.

He would not be free however.

Niall_Quinn
24-08-2016, 02:11 PM
Realistically?

Well time's up, isn't it? So nobody is realistic. Not anybody that would make much of a difference. Will we go in on the last day for Lacazette with the probable £60-70mill in our hands? Can you really see it?

dostoy
24-08-2016, 02:17 PM
No I can't.

Thats why I suggested Hernandez.

Who else is there good enough at his very late stage.

Power n Glory
24-08-2016, 02:37 PM
We're going with Sanchez. He said he could be good as Suarez and I don't see him climbing down from that statement.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-08-2016, 02:47 PM
We're going with Sanchez. He said he could be good as Suarez and I don't see him climbing down from that statement.

You don't?....he climbs down from a lot of statements.....well by climb down pretends he never said them

Gooner23
24-08-2016, 02:50 PM
He makes it up as he goes along. One minute Theo can't play wing, the next he is starting there. Now Alexis is our striker even though he hardly played there last season, despite Giroud going through his annual slump.

alexander
24-08-2016, 07:58 PM
We are not getting anyone, maybe, just a very small maybe, we might get a budget CB