PDA

View Full Version : Lucas Perez (official)

Marc Overmars
25-08-2016, 06:18 PM
It's on!

Goonermerree
25-08-2016, 06:28 PM
How d'ya know?

Niall_Quinn
25-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Obviously he doesn't want him here.

fakeyank
25-08-2016, 06:44 PM
World class striker coming home boys :rolleyes:

Kano
25-08-2016, 06:59 PM
He's not exactly a Zaha but I'll take him I suppose

Marc Overmars
25-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Obviously he doesn't want him here.

Does anyone?

McNamara That Ghost...
25-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Does anyone?

Good signing tbf.

(No idea).

Niall_Quinn
25-08-2016, 08:46 PM
WUMger strikes again.

MONDAY - Spend some fucking money!

THURSDAY

https://redgunners.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/arsenewengersmiling.jpg

dostoy
25-08-2016, 09:23 PM
WTF does its on mean ?

Kano
25-08-2016, 09:26 PM
It's not off

McNamara That Ghost...
25-08-2016, 11:37 PM
WTF does its on mean ?

:blink:

Penguin
26-08-2016, 04:57 AM
There's been a left-footed-lucas shaped hole since Poldi left. Let's hope he's as good at Twitter.

Kano
26-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Here's a piece written by a Deportivo fan about Lucas:

Lucas Pérez will be announced in the next 24 hours as an Arsenal player. As a Deportivo de la Coruña fan, I thought it right to scribble some musings on Lucas as a player.

You’ll read a lot in the coming days/weeks about Lucas from people who, quite frankly, watched him very little (if at all). I’m going to condense his history as a footballer into one small paragraph, since I assume most readers just want to know what kind of player he is and if he suits Arsenal.

Lucas is a Deportivo fan, born and bred. He used to sit in the stands with the Riazor Blues, now he represents the club (although not for long). He’s spent two phenomenal years at Depor, clinching goals that secured survival in back-to-back seasons. He even broke the club record of goals scored in consecutive games, toppling Brazilian legend Bebeto. Lucas performed against the biggest of clubs (as evidenced with two goals in two games at the Camp Nou), as well as the smallest of them too. To join Depor, Lucas had to travel around Europe first. When he did arrive, it included minimising his wage by triple and leaving a Champions League club (PAOK). The love and adoration he has for the club has also seen him turn down Leicester, Southampton, Napoli, Zenit & Sevilla this summer. But, when Arsenal come knocking, it’s hard to resist. Especially when you’re 27, at the peak of your game and performing at a club far smaller in current stature.

Now, about Lucas as a player. It says a lot that Arsene Wenger swooped in for the Spaniard after being turned down by Jamie Vardy. Stylistically, both are the same type of player: lean forwards with bags of speed and energy, always raring to break the defensive line and find themselves one-on-one. In fact, much like Vardy, Lucas suits the counter-attacking style of football. A style that Arsenal irregularly employ, which may be a sticking point. If Wenger does switch for this sort of style, which could be supported by the fact he’s chased down two identical strikers this summer, Arsenal may just have pulled off a bargain considering the current market. One interesting fact about Lucas is that he can speak English, having used it as a form of communication in Ukraine and Greece while plying his trade there.

“Lucas isn’t a prolific goal scorer” – that’s something you’ll be reading a lot over the coming days, supported of course by baseless statistics that don’t consider the fact that he only started playing as a striker last season. He’s often been an interior or attacking-midfielder, sticking close to the striker on his team. Arsenal have Olivier Giroud, a striker synonymous with performing at his best when he has a player that operates closely with him (Griezmann for France, occasionally Walcott for Arsenal). Lucas offers Wenger that duality in style: he can be the counter-attacking striker that punishes opposition defences or he can be a foil and creator for Giroud.

Lucas amassed eight assists and 17 goals last year. A career high. While that may seem measly in a time where footballers are filling their boots with 40+ goals per season, one has to consider the club. As a Deportivo fan, I have struggled in the last 5-6 years with strikers who end as top scorers for the club with just 7-10 goals. The issue they all have in common is a lack of creator in the side. Strikers are often forced to carve out their own chances here, so that’s a testament to Lucas’ comfortability and quality as a forward. He chases down possession, effortlessly carries the game forward and then applies a slick finishing touch. This, with no creator. Arsenal have Mesut Özil – a player crying out for more goal scorers to support – and the likes of a supporting cast of Santi Cazorla, Aaron Ramsey etc. The list goes on. Lucas had virtually nobody last season, nor the season before that. He was plucking goals out of nothing, such as the one embedded below.

Lucas has also shown that he can bring the best out of players around him. Luis Alberto, for example, had his best season knocking in goals for Sevilla’s B team. At Liverpool & Málaga, he was fairly poor. At Depor, though, we saw the best of Luis Alberto. Why? Because Lucas, when working in tandem with another forward, is a fantastic footballer. And if he strikes this partnership with, say, Alexis or Giroud, then Arsenal fans are likely to be salivating come the end of the summer.

Am I saying he’s perfect for Arsenal? Not really. There are a few caveats. Will Wenger arrange the system around him? That’s one. But the other comes as part of Lucas’ main issue: he takes a few chances before he puts one away. That may frustrate some, but it’s also worth looking at the other side of things: will he score more if he’s less inclined to snap away at the half chances he creates and simply latch onto a perfectly weighted pass instead? Lucas also requires a bit of freedom if his game is to truly prosper. It’s far from clear what his role will be, but he is an upgrade on all of Arsenal’s wingers (bar Alexis) at the very least.

And, just briefly, since I mentioned Alexis, Arsenal fans will love Lucas Pérez for the same reason they love the Chilean. He works extremely hard – and not in an English “he runs about a bit” type. Lucas will bust a lung to revive a loose ball and, once he collects it, he will carry it forward. Unlike Alexis, though, Lucas is less of a dribbler so will look to release possession to a team-mate once he wins the ball back.

Is he perfect? No. And is he the striker Arsenal 100% wanted this summer? No. But I think he could prove to be an exceptional capture if, as aforementioned, the system is arranged to suit his game. He could be the perfect partner for Giroud and Alexis. Stylistically speaking, Wenger has a very versatile player on his hands that could be the key to saving what has been a miserable summer & start to the season.

https://moarfootball.com/2016/08/25/a-deportivo-la-coruna-fan-on-lucas-perez/

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Looking forwards to seeing this guy play.

Özim
26-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Here's a piece written by a Deportivo fan about Lucas:

https://moarfootball.com/2016/08/25/a-deportivo-la-coruna-fan-on-lucas-perez/

Am I saying he’s perfect for Arsenal? Not really. There are a few caveats. Will Wenger arrange the system around him? That’s one. But the other comes as part of Lucas’ main issue: he takes a few chances before he puts one away. That may frustrate some, but it’s also worth looking at the other side of things: will he score more if he’s less inclined to snap away at the half chances he creates and simply latch onto a perfectly weighted pass instead? Lucas also requires a bit of freedom if his game is to truly prosper. It’s far from clear what his role will be, but he is an upgrade on all of Arsenal’s wingers (bar Alexis) at the very least.

That's what I didn't want to hear, I wanted a finisher not someone who is going to miss quite a few before scoring, disappointing to here this, pretty much like the lot we have right now.

This guy seems to think he's a winger, I'd like to think that means this isn't the end of our striker search, but I think I'm being optimistic.

Kano
26-08-2016, 08:52 AM
If there's a problem, you'll know how to find it :lol:

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 09:50 AM
That's what I didn't want to hear, I wanted a finisher not someone who is going to miss quite a few before scoring, disappointing to here this, pretty much like the lot we have right now.

This guy seems to think he's a winger, I'd like to think that means this isn't the end of our striker search, but I think I'm being optimistic.

He looks decent on youtube though. :lol: I know that doesn't mean a lot.

He'll be our striker. I think he'll get better in the role.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2016, 09:58 AM
Fuck it, no one is going to spin and pretend this is what we wanted. Nor are we going to suddenly think this wasn't a total bum drizzle of a summer. It has the hallmarks of another panic signing because Wenger after all this time hasn't learned not to prevaricate and agonise.

As far as I'm concerned we have dropped five points, Liverpool are an average side with a decent manager who is still developing the team to play how he wants it to, and Leicester are suffering the hangover of reality especially after losing the player who arguably was the most influential in making that title win happen for them, in reality we should have beaten both sides and comfortably.....even with a clod like Wenger that shouldn't have been a big ask.

We have done the bare minimum again, Wenger has gotten off his arse at the last minute because he would have have had an unbearable three months in the dug out had he not done so.

I can't form a judgement on either play simply because I haven't seen enough of them, Mustafi I have seen once or twice for Germany and Perez...,wasn't even aware of his existence before two days ago.

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Fuck it, no one is going to spin and pretend this is what we wanted.

Has anyone said that? He just looks like a decent alternative. Also, if this wasn’t planned, what caused the change? Did the pressure come from above? Was Wenger taken back a bit by the fans reaction at the last game?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Has anyone said that?

No that's why I said no-one is going to do it. And in the final paragraph i make it clear that i am making no judgement on Lucas Perez because i know literally nothing about him

I don't think this particular transfer was planned no, i think we looked at him but probably thought there was something out there better, but came back to it a) because we are struggling to find better b) everton were about to sign him and c) yes the fans are up would be up in arms if he did nothing and it's quite possible that there might be arm twisting from above.....if true shame it couldn't have been done earlier but i guess better late than never.

Kano
26-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I definitely don't think fan pressure has anything to do with these signings. We were after a striker, with two bids made public and the injuries to Merts and Gabriel made it obvious a new player was needed there in addition to Holding.

If Wenger is seen as someone who doesn't care about, listen to and condescends toward the fans, then a couple of matches with a small section up in arms wouldn't have made a difference to him. He's stubborn as a mule and makes these decisions on his terms only.

The problem, as always, is the timing of the signings. We should've had these guys in and ready for the start of the season. Not two (probably three) games into it. There is also an international break after this weekend, which means even less time for Mustafi to bed-in with the team, which is really needed for the defence.

If, as the fan article about Perez indicates, he is similar to Vardy then hopefully that does lean toward a change in style and feels like a more considered purchase if he is a similar style of player. All of which remains to be seen. Either way, having another striker option can only improve us, even if it is marginally at worst. That said, even a 25+ goalscorer wasn't going to be our saviour. We all know we need a new manager to make the best of any squad at the club. But, we also need more goals from midfield. It's pretty barren back there and until we get a better spread across the team, our tendency to be wasteful will be more heightened.

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 10:14 AM
No that's why I said no-one is going to do it. And in the final paragraph i make it clear that i am making no judgement on Lucas Perez because i know literally nothing about him

I don't think this particular transfer was planned no, i think we looked at him but probably thought there was something out there better, but came back to it a) because we are struggling to find better b) everton were about to sign him and c) yes the fans are up would be up in arms if he did nothing and it's quite possible that there might be arm twisting from above.....if true shame it couldn't have been done earlier but i guess better late than never.

Going back to earlier discussions about our structure, do you think Wenger had a change of heart?

Marc Overmars
26-08-2016, 10:15 AM
It's a signing that exemplifies our struggle in the transfer market for sure, but it's better than nothing and hopefully Wenger is now prepared to try something different, as by all accounts this guy is the opposite to Giroud in terms of style.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Going back to earlier discussions about our structure, do you think Wenger had a change of heart?

Change of Heart? No i think if he had no intention of signing a striker all the arm twisting in the world wouldn't have changed his mind.....I think he always intended to sign a striker but he was making a litany of excuses because he wasn't able to get deals done because he was unable to sign the players he wanted most for the value he wanted.

Is there evidence that he has been leaned on to get a move on and expedite a deal?....Perhaps, i would argue that there is more evidence of that in the Mustafi deal....in the sense that we suddenly seem prepared to meet Valencia's valuation for him after three weeks of wrangling.

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Change of Heart? No i think if he had no intention of signing a striker all the arm twisting in the world wouldn't have changed his mind.....I think he always intended to sign a striker but he was making a litany of excuses because he wasn't able to get deals done because he was unable to sign the players he wanted most for the value he wanted.

Is there evidence that he has been leaned on to get a move on and expedite a deal?....Perhaps, i would argue that there is more evidence of that in the Mustafi deal....in the sense that we suddenly seem prepared to meet Valencia's valuation for him after three weeks of wrangling.

Sounds like this was planned and not a panic buy when you put it like that.

Maestro
26-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Also, if this wasn’t planned, what caused the change? Did the pressure come from above? Was Wenger taken back a bit by the fans reaction at the last game?

Quite a few of our recent signings have been down to fear of a fan's backlash. Always similar circumstances;

1. We fail to sign the required players early enough
2. Wenger rides it out and insists we are ready for the season
3. Season starts and we tank it
4. Fan fury is at boiling point
5. Out he dashes for a last minute signing

Everything to do with restless natives IMHO

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2016, 10:34 AM
He looks decent on youtube though. :lol: I know that doesn't mean a lot.

He'll be our striker. I think he'll get better in the role.

Don't bet the house on it. Let's wait and see, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wenger starts him on the wing.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Has anyone said that? He just looks like a decent alternative. Also, if this wasn’t planned, what caused the change? Did the pressure come from above? Was Wenger taken back a bit by the fans reaction at the last game?

The pressure probably came from many places. Everyone and his horse knew we needed reinforcements, except Wenger of course. Wenger certainly won't have been swayed by the fans, who he clearly despises. But the board might have been. Image will be important to them and they won't want to be seen as a going nowhere, laughing stock of a club that presents declining incentives for sponsors. I'm not saying they will have been greatly influenced, it'd be more like, just do it, we don't need the fuss.

And I agree with the general sentiment that this has been a clusterfuck of a transfer window. The sort of mayhem that only Wenger could achieve. None of the players we bought would have been on my list. Roughly £90mill has now been spent and to be honest, we don't have a lot to show for it. Roll the clock back and stick a £70/80 mill bid in for a top striker, spend another 20 on a quality CB. That's how it should have been done. The stupid idiots have ended up spending the money anyway and there's no way I'm buying the idea Wenger set out with Mustafi and Perez on his shopping list.

All in all it's a... hurts your head thinking about the way Wenger operates.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Sounds like this was planned and not a panic buy when you put it like that.

The Mustafi deal was not a panic buy, it's been clear for the better part of a month we were after him

Lucas Perez?.....I think that it appears that we revisited a player we didn't originally appear to be interested in suggests it was something of a panic buy.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2016, 11:01 AM
What worries me is that we might ditch the Lewandowski deal now.

Goonermerree
26-08-2016, 11:06 AM
The Mustafi deal was not a panic buy, it's been clear for the better part of a month we were after him

Lucas Perez?.....I think that it appears that we revisited a player we didn't originally appear to be interested in suggests it was something of a panic buy.
That and Everton were after him. I bet they're mad.:fury:

bignev
26-08-2016, 11:17 AM
What worries me is that we might ditch the Lewandowski deal now.

Nice to see a light hearted post for once :yippee:

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Nice to see a light hearted post for once :yippee:

Mock all you want. But don't come crying when the window close and no Jonny Evans.

bignev
26-08-2016, 11:27 AM
The pressure probably came from many places. Everyone and his horse knew we needed reinforcements, except Wenger of course. Wenger certainly won't have been swayed by the fans, who he clearly despises. But the board might have been. Image will be important to them and they won't want to be seen as a going nowhere, laughing stock of a club that presents declining incentives for sponsors. I'm not saying they will have been greatly influenced, it'd be more like, just do it, we don't need the fuss.

And I agree with the general sentiment that this has been a clusterfuck of a transfer window. The sort of mayhem that only Wenger could achieve. None of the players we bought would have been on my list. Roughly £90mill has now been spent and to be honest, we don't have a lot to show for it. Roll the clock back and stick a £70/80 mill bid in for a top striker, spend another 20 on a quality CB. That's how it should have been done. The stupid idiots have ended up spending the money anyway and there's no way I'm buying the idea Wenger set out with Mustafi and Perez on his shopping list.

All in all it's a... hurts your head thinking about the way Wenger operates.

I don't think Wenger despises the fans so nothing clear about that.

Have to agreed the transfer window has been a clusterfuck though. You should probably amend your analysis to "The sort of mayhem that only Arsenal could achieve". Wenger isn't alone in this, the board is a big part of this, I think sometimes fans forget that.

It does seem crazy that we've spent 90m and not signed anyone who is really exciting :wacko: That said I am encouraged by these signings, first because we're actually doing something and secondly because I think all of our signings are solid, if unspectacular additions.

From what I've seen Perez looks very similar to Vardy and he has experience of playing as a striker and as part of a front three. If you look at it from Wenger perspective I think he see Perez as a short term addition in the striker role until we can get that top quality striker at an acceptable price. Then he'll probably take Walcott's place in the squad when we finally find a way to ship him out.

His stats don't look great at first reading. Roughly 1 goal every 3 games but as a winger for most of his career, that's actually pretty good. He has pace as well so will provide a good alternative to Big Sexy.

bignev
26-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Mock all you want. But don't come crying when the window close and no Jonny Evans.

Don't worry I wasn't taking a shot at you. I was just saying it's nice to have some light humour for a change.

Niall_Quinn
26-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Well we have something different to look forward to, and at Arsenal that's a huge novelty.

Goonermerree
26-08-2016, 11:36 AM
I don't think Wenger despises the fans so nothing clear about that.

Have to agreed the transfer window has been a clusterfuck though. You should probably amend your analysis to "The sort of mayhem that only Arsenal could achieve". Wenger isn't alone in this, the board is a big part of this, I think sometimes fans forget that.

It does seem crazy that we've spent 90m and not signed anyone who is really exciting :wacko: That said I am encouraged by these signings, first because we're actually doing something and secondly because I think all of our signings are solid, if unspectacular additions.

From what I've seen Perez looks very similar to Vardy and he has experience of playing as a striker and as part of a front three. If you look at it from Wenger perspective I think he see Perez as a short term addition in the striker role until we can get that top quality striker at an acceptable price. Then he'll probably take Walcott's place in the squad when we finally find a way to ship him out.

His stats don't look great at first reading. Roughly 1 goal every 3 games but as a winger for most of his career, that's actually pretty good. He has pace as well so will provide a good alternative to Big Sexy.

There's an oxymoron if I ever read one. Wenger is bemoaning the fact that there is one price for English clubs and another for European clubs. Well they all know that from this year, the lowest placed club will get more than the CL because of TV rights. They want a piece of it.

bignev
26-08-2016, 12:56 PM
There's an oxymoron if I ever read one. Wenger is bemoaning the fact that there is one price for English clubs and another for European clubs. Well they all know that from this year, the lowest placed club will get more than the CL because of TV rights. They want a piece of it.

Not sure you know what Oxymoron means :)

Power n Glory
26-08-2016, 03:19 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/25/arsenals-confused-approach-to-summer-transfer-window-laid-bare-b/

We could have really been waiting on Asano's work permit and once rejected we changed our minds about Perez.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
26-08-2016, 03:23 PM
if he signs, he will be probably making his debut on his 28th birthday

Marc Overmars
26-08-2016, 03:25 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/25/arsenals-confused-approach-to-summer-transfer-window-laid-bare-b/

We could have really been waiting on Asano's work permit and once rejected we changed our minds about Perez.

It really wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.

He's done crazier things in the past.

Japan Shaking All Over
26-08-2016, 05:53 PM
It really wouldn't be surprising if that was the case.

He's done crazier things in the past.

Be fair though MO......it would have ranked high up there on the list

Globalgunner
26-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Quite a few of our recent signings have been down to fear of a fan's backlash. Always similar circumstances;

1. We fail to sign the required players early enough
2. Wenger rides it out and insists we are ready for the season
3. Season starts and we tank it
4. Fan fury is at boiling point
5. Out he dashes for a last minute signing

Everything to do with restless natives IMHO

My feelings too. If we had won our 1st 2 matches. He would have bought no one. Im also thinking he doesnt want to end up 5th in a 4 horse race

Master Splinter
26-08-2016, 06:13 PM
I mentioned this yesterday, but it's probably more applicable here.

If Lucas can be competent enough to make varying runs in behind, can trap and hold the ball up to bring in others without killing the move dead, can cause some trouble with his speed of movement and can finish with composure, he'll be a really good signing.

Since RVP became RVC, we haven't had anyone up front who can be relied upon to consistently do these things on even a basic level sometimes. If he only provides these qualities for 25% of our games, it will still be a huge improvement over the unreliable and hotchpotch situation we have now.

Welcome to Asano, Lucas.

Kano
26-08-2016, 07:03 PM
I stopped reading after Asano

mastermind84
26-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Last year was his first season at CF. don't think he is a winger

2.6 shots per game is low. If he can get that over 3, then I'm good because the goals will start flowing.

He also plays on the shoulder of the last defender, which has been needed since only Theo does it in or team.

Also, he has s good first touch. None of our forwards do.

alexander
26-08-2016, 08:44 PM
Always rated him since the youtube video about 6 mins ago.

Welcome home

McNamara That Ghost...
30-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Done.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive

Marc Overmars
30-08-2016, 01:41 PM
What a man. :bow:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160828/lucas-perez-signs-for-the-club

Niall_Quinn
30-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Well, let's see what he can do. Welcome - and try to forget about the French idiot, just play your game and get us some goals.

GP
30-08-2016, 01:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrHHtUDWgAAPB9y.jpg

LDG
30-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Pires :bow:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Quite impressed by what I see on Arsenal.com he looks a cut above the foppish effeminate spics we usually sign

Looks like one of those hard nosed ignorant Catholics who thinks "Maricons" deserve to burn in hell

We need someone who is actually a genuinely horrible person on the pitch as long as they can be trusted to behave themselves in public, and refrain from spousal abuse apart from behind closed doors.

Marc Overmars
30-08-2016, 04:46 PM
It's probably good that he has played in other countries as well. Shouldn't be too much of a culture shock here hopefully.

Kano
30-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Quite impressed by what I see on Arsenal.com he looks a cut above the foppish effeminate spics we usually sign.
Maybe Wilshere and yourself have more in common than you realise.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
30-08-2016, 05:38 PM
Maybe Wilshere and yourself have more in common than you realise.

Are you accusing Wilshere of being racist?

KSE Comedy Club
30-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Apparently his dad lives and works in Camden, so he should be used to the English way of things to some extent.

Where is the Mustafi announcement then???

Shaqiri Is Boss
30-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Apparently his dad lives and works in Camden, so he should be used to the English way of things to some extent.

Where is the Mustafi announcement then???

Oh go on then.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20160830/shkodran-mustafi-signs-for-arsenal

Power n Glory
25-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Seriously, what's going on with this guy? Where is he and why isn't he getting games after scoring goals? It's the same thing we saw with Campbell and Wenger just killing momentum.

Özim
25-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Seriously, what's going on with this guy? Where is he and why isn't he getting games after scoring goals? It's the same thing we saw with Campbell and Wenger just killing momentum.

Wasted money once again, we signed him (not the ideal signing but we signed him) now he gets no games, you try work out the logic?

If it wasn't Wenger I'd be shocked.

Coca Kolo
27-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Wenger has an unfortunate habit of transitioning squad players into the 1st team when there are viable opportunities to do so. Perez is an example in a long line of players. Shame as he's looked extremely promising everytime he's played.

Dicks and chicks
28-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Very good performance can see him being dropped for the next 3 games after that

Chippy
28-01-2017, 10:38 PM
Very good performance can see him being dropped for the next 3 games after that

Superb!!! Did not stop running. Wished that he scored the chance he had at the end but never mind, the boy did well. Lucas Lucas!!!!

fakeyank
28-01-2017, 10:38 PM
I'd play him over Giroud any day..

Dicks and chicks
05-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Rightfully dropped after a performance in which he shot on goal

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Rightfully dropped after a performance in which he shot on goal

It used to be a joke to say Wenger dropped players for taking a shot or playing a forward pass. We're not laughing any more.

mastermind84
05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Wenger only signed him because of the Welbeck injury. Don't think he rates him highly.

If Wenger is around this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas ends up back in Spain.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
05-02-2017, 10:16 PM
He didn't rate Welbeck that highly either when he signed him. It seems these days he never rates the forwards he signs as the cream of the crop which is in at least, part, of the problem.

Marc Overmars
05-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Precisiely why I'm not bothered if he spends another 10m or 100m. He just can't seem to get the balance of the squad right and still remains averse to giving atypical signings a real chance in the starting 11.

Gooner23
05-02-2017, 10:48 PM
I kind of assumed he was injured as didn't even make the bench. If he was fit and simply not selected that's a really poor decison by the manager.

I honestly don't know what more he has to do to get a run in the side.

Niall_Quinn
05-02-2017, 10:50 PM
I can't of assumed he was injured as didn't even make the bench. If he was fit and simply not selected that's a really poor decison by the manager.

I honestly don't know what more he has to do to get a run in the side.

Change his name to Giroud. Do his hair up a bit. Grow a beard. Stand still instead of running around.

Xhaka Can’t
06-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Change his name to Giroud. Do his hair up a bit. Grow a beard. Stand still instead of running around.

It would help if he also missed a shitload of chances whenever he got a game.

Or even better, pass it back when clean through on goal.

selassie
06-02-2017, 09:40 AM
It's absolutely mind boggling that this guy didn't even make the bench on Saturday, in fact it's bad enough that he doesn't even get a start in PL given his performances so far, this boy creates and scores, what does he need to do to get a start? :o

redordead
07-02-2017, 05:52 AM
It's absolutely mind boggling that this guy didn't even make the bench on Saturday, in fact it's bad enough that he doesn't even get a start in PL given his performances so far, this boy creates and scores, what does he need to do to get a start? :o

mmm leave arsenal

redordead
07-02-2017, 06:10 AM
but seriously i read somewhere that wenger dosent think hes physically strong enough for the prem which i felt was amusing considering the whimps he puts out week in week out,i personally think given a run he could be one of our best players,which wouldnt be hard when you look at the shower of shite thats been on show recently.

Marc Overmars
16-02-2017, 05:01 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/16/lucas-perez-confused-by-arsene-wenger-and-ready-to-leave-arsenal-this-summer-6453151/

:rose:

Gooner23
16-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Can't blame him. He's arguably looked the most accomplished of all our summer signings, yet been given the least amount of game time.

Niall_Quinn
16-02-2017, 05:29 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/16/lucas-perez-confused-by-arsene-wenger-and-ready-to-leave-arsenal-this-summer-6453151/

:rose:

Is he questioning the Great Wenger?

McNamara That Ghost...
16-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I'd be fecking annoyed if that was the case. Chances are it it is bollocks though as it is from Goal.

Sanogo next season.

AFC Leveller
17-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Don't understand why he hasn't started for us, his numbers are good and he has made an impact whenever he has played.

How Iwobi keeps getting picked while we have two much better attacking options in Welbz and Lucas is beyond me.

Marc Overmars
17-02-2017, 08:37 AM
I can imagine he is frustrated. These are his peak years and after securing a big move you'd expect to be more involved.

We all know Wenger has his favourites.

Niall_Quinn
17-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Don't understand why he hasn't started for us, his numbers are good and he has made an impact whenever he has played.

How Iwobi keeps getting picked while we have two much better attacking options in Welbz and Lucas is beyond me.

My theory, Wenger is incompetent. Solution? Wenger out.

Marc Overmars
20-02-2017, 01:22 PM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2908787/lucas-perez-agent-confirms-he-is-leaving-arsenal/amp/

Agent confirms he wants to leave.

What a joke. Play him Wenger FFS.

Power n Glory
20-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Will be interesting to see if he plays tonight after this. Huge waste of time and money. Considering he's at the peak of his career and in his late 20s, it's the sort of move that's set him back. Lucas should move on asap.

Niall_Quinn
20-02-2017, 01:45 PM
I'm sticking with my earlier theory.

AFC Leveller
20-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Lucas Perez's agent says he hasn't spoken to CalcioMercato about his client wanting to leave Arsenal. Quotes have been picked up elsewhere, according to Arseblog.

Özim
20-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Odd signing in the 1st place, even odder than we'd sign him and not play him. Wenger has a history of signing players and not playing them though, he's an odd character like that, penny pinching and yet will happily go out and waste money on players he doesn't play.

Globalgunner
20-02-2017, 04:20 PM
I think he bought him because he was hedging his bets with Welbeck. With our history, Welbz could easily have been out for 18 months. His failure to use him given the talent he has shown is pure Wenger though. If Ramsey is on crutches he will play him. If Walcott/Giroud is missing barn doors, play him too. The ability to put the ball in the net consistently has never been a favoured trait with the Prof

Özim
21-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Deserves a run as he's scored a few goals, yesterday's though was a cross he wasn't going for goal. I don't know whether we want to see this guy because we're hoping he's the answer, might be that he plays and isn't as good as he looks playng as a sub, it's happened before.

Marc Overmars
21-02-2017, 11:36 AM
People want to see him because he can dribble, he's got that Sanchez-esque tenacity and he's actually technically decent.

Most of all though, everyone deserves a chance, especially when things have gone to pot and we persist with the same players who let us down time and time again. We spent a lot of money on him by our standards so it's bemusing why his chances have been so limited.

Dicks and chicks
11-03-2017, 05:30 PM
He's gone

GP
11-03-2017, 05:34 PM
You're gone.

Master Splinter
11-03-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm gone.

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 06:29 PM
They're all gone :(

Xhaka Can’t
11-03-2017, 06:29 PM
We're gone.

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Gone baby, gone.

GP
11-03-2017, 06:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7UrFYvl5TE

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 06:36 PM
Now you've gone and done it.

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 06:38 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b9/Shimon_Peres_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/220px-Shimon_Peres_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Gone.

GP
11-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Gone in Sixty Seconds

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Gone in Sixty Seconds

Gone fishing.

GP
11-03-2017, 06:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ5ICXMC4xY

Master Splinter
11-03-2017, 06:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRwSI8yi1o

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 07:04 PM
He's back!

GP
11-03-2017, 07:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JphDdGV2TU

Niall_Quinn
11-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Since you been gone...

Dicks and chicks
11-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Where the fuck is he. He's played better this season than welbeck , Walcott ,Ramsey and Giroud. Will someone let me know where the fuck is he????????

mastermind84
11-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Where the fuck is he. He's played better this season than welbeck , Walcott ,Ramsey and Giroud. Will someone let me know where the fuck is he????????
he was only brought in because Wenger thought Welbeck would be injured longer.

Wenger does not rate him and he will be sold off this summer.

We can do better than Lucas Perez, but we can also do better than Danny Welbeck. (only reason anyone rates him is because he is English)

Niall_Quinn
30-04-2017, 08:19 PM
WHO?

The trouble with this cunt is - he TRIED. And if you cross Wenger like that, then you pay the price.

Dicks and chicks
03-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Stats wise he's done better than most of our first team regulars I would rather him than Ramsey , Walcott or Giroud

Marc Overmars
03-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Is he still injured or has Wenger just thrown him on the scrap heap?

What a waste of money.

Gooner23
03-05-2017, 07:20 AM
The worst thing is, he's actually quite good!

Power n Glory
03-05-2017, 08:04 AM
It was kind of obvious this was going to happen. A relatively cheap striker that can also play on the wing benched for the majority of the season just so Wenger’s darling Giroud can get more games. This was always the plan otherwise he’d have gone all out to sign a better striker. Vardy probably decided to sign with Leicester because he people probably asked the right questions about playing time and playing position and didn’t like the feedback. Couple that with the small wages we probably offered, it was obvious we weren’t looking for a main striker.

Once again, Wenger has reverted back to starting Giroud despite seeing that he’s not a starting striker.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Wenger never wanted to sign Lucas in the first place, he thinks he has too many strikers and prefers Giroud and Welbeck.

Niall_Quinn
03-05-2017, 09:23 AM
It was kind of obvious this was going to happen. A relatively cheap striker that can also play on the wing benched for the majority of the season just so Wenger’s darling Giroud can get more games. This was always the plan otherwise he’d have gone all out to sign a better striker. Vardy probably decided to sign with Leicester because he people probably asked the right questions about playing time and playing position and didn’t like the feedback. Couple that with the small wages we probably offered, it was obvious we weren’t looking for a main striker.

Once again, Wenger has reverted back to starting Giroud despite seeing that he’s not a starting striker.

I think Perez is injured right now, but when he did get a few chances he looked twice the player Giroud is in terms of mobility and an eye for goal. Good work rate too and seemed to complement Alexis well. There wasn't enough playing time to form up any real conclusions but I did notice he was always eager to have a pop at goal and he seemed to have a decent degree of accuracy, which is more than can be said for most.

How Wenger couldn't pick up on this and give a bit more game time to a more mobile front line speaks volumes about what a coward he has become. He'd much rather play it safe with Lump up front and the Square Gang congesting up the midfield. That way the opponent can't hurt us - or so he imagines in his little fantasy world.

Is it unfair, or ridiculous to say the average fan would have done a better job of team selection and tactics this season? It does sound a bit ridiculous but when you think it through I'm not so sure it is.

Niall_Quinn
03-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Wenger never wanted to sign Lucas in the first place, he thinks he has too many strikers and prefers Giroud and Welbeck.

Prefers Giroud for what? Giroud is almost the perfect example of what we don't need. The Scorpion King, the one-off, top corner belter. But the other 99 times he can't make the simple header, can't get into the box to apply the finishing touch, and can't even be bothered half the time. What the hell is Wenger seeing when he watches Giroud play? There's nothing to see. What I see is a stubborn old goat who will never admit when he's wrong, even when it hurts the team, the club and his own reputation.

Don't think he really wanted Welbeck either. He bought him to calm the rising protests and because he was relatively cheap. The man who signed Thierry Henry - what an absolute joke he has become. Sanogo, Park, Welbeck, Perez, there's no strategy there at all. No rhyme or reason.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
03-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Prefers Giroud for what? Giroud is almost the perfect example of what we don't need. The Scorpion King, the one-off, top corner belter. But the other 99 times he can't make the simple header, can't get into the box to apply the finishing touch, and can't even be bothered half the time. What the hell is Wenger seeing when he watches Giroud play? There's nothing to see. What I see is a stubborn old goat who will never admit when he's wrong, even when it hurts the team, the club and his own reputation.

Don't think he really wanted Welbeck either. He bought him to calm the rising protests and because he was relatively cheap. The man who signed Thierry Henry - what an absolute joke he has become. Sanogo, Park, Welbeck, Perez, there's no strategy there at all. No rhyme or reason.

Ha i don't know why you're asking me as if i have a greater window into Wenger's mind than you do

All i'm going is from what i heard and what i heard is that Perez was a signing to mollify fans because Welbeck was out until the end of the year (his preference was to wait until he came back rather than go into the transfer market).

Niall_Quinn
03-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Ha i don't know why you're asking me as if i have a greater window into Wenger's mind than you do

All i'm going is from what i heard and what i heard is that Perez was a signing to mollify fans because Welbeck was out until the end of the year (his preference was to wait until he came back rather than go into the transfer market).

Suppose it doesn't matter now that we are signing Mbappe.

Globalgunner
03-05-2017, 11:52 AM

I think you missed out on Chamack and the guy with the balding braides that couldnt kick a ball with both eyes open. Gervinho!!!!. Yes. what a jewel he was.

Özim
03-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Bought to get the fans off his back and it worked a treat, didn't cost a big amount and the fans were then happy with the summer transfer window (even though it was let's be honest rubbish).

Another one of these players Wenger signs and almost never plays, he's got history doing this, another odd thing about him, would rather spend 10-15 million on a player people know little about and not play him than bit the bullet and sign someone proven.

As for Giroud, everyone knows he's average, the only one that doesn't seem to know is Wenger, how long has this guy been with us playing as effectively our number 1 striker now?

selassie
03-05-2017, 01:25 PM

What makes this whole saga all the more comical is that Wenger's preferred starting strikers (Giroud and Welbeck) are nowhere near the standard required for a team who have ambitions to be challenging for titles.

I've given up with Wenger when it comes to upgrading the striker position, he just isn't going to do it. We are going through the same thing in Central Midfield.

Power n Glory
04-05-2017, 09:16 AM
What makes this whole saga all the more comical is that Wenger's preferred starting strikers (Giroud and Welbeck) are nowhere near the standard required for a team who have ambitions to be challenging for titles.

I've given up with Wenger when it comes to upgrading the striker position, he just isn't going to do it. We are going through the same thing in Central Midfield.

It is the same thing with the midfield. He can stumble upon a solution but he’ll revert back to the same garbage that has us dropping points. This is why people think he’s clueless. Last season, our best performances came against Utd and Bayern with Walcott playing as striker. The season before that we saw how easily we dealt with Villa with Theo leading the line. You would have thought something would have clicked in his brain to stick with Walcott up front and have him learn the position. But he reverted back to Giroud and our season fell apart. What’s done is done but you’d at least hope that he’s learned that we need a striker with pace and mobility to stretch teams.

When he bought Perez and started playing Sanchez up front, it looked like something finally clicked. Sanchez is one of the top goal scorers in the league and he’s flying in that role. But something goes off in Wenger’s head to switch him out to the wing. :doh: What’s worse is that he’s not even trying Perez there he’s gone back to playing guys that have more than enough playing time up front and failed time and time again.

I don’t know where this idea comes from that we need a big player like Giroud to hold the ball. The commentator kept on saying it when Alexis was up front for Leicester City. We’ve all seen what happens when we have a target man as seen against Spurs.

Marc Overmars
04-05-2017, 10:49 AM
The idea of a big man up top to link play was relevant when our midfield had guile. Now though it's completely redundant.

I cannot believe Giroud has found his way back into the team.

Gooner23
04-05-2017, 11:08 AM
We were looking so much more dangerous up top.

selassie
04-05-2017, 11:33 AM
It is the same thing with the midfield. He can stumble upon a solution but he’ll revert back to the same garbage that has us dropping points. This is why people think he’s clueless. Last season, our best performances came against Utd and Bayern with Walcott playing as striker. The season before that we saw how easily we dealt with Villa with Theo leading the line. You would have thought something would have clicked in his brain to stick with Walcott up front and have him learn the position. But he reverted back to Giroud and our season fell apart. What’s done is done but you’d at least hope that he’s learned that we need a striker with pace and mobility to stretch teams.

When he bought Perez and started playing Sanchez up front, it looked like something finally clicked. Sanchez is one of the top goal scorers in the league and he’s flying in that role. But something goes off in Wenger’s head to switch him out to the wing. :doh: What’s worse is that he’s not even trying Perez there he’s gone back to playing guys that have more than enough playing time up front and failed time and time again.

I don’t know where this idea comes from that we need a big player like Giroud to hold the ball. The commentator kept on saying it when Alexis was up front for Leicester City. We’ve all seen what happens when we have a target man as seen against Spurs.

Oh I agree, only Arsene knows why he has made the changes he has made. One thing that is clear is that it's a massive mistake.

I mentioned this before but I have a feeling Wenger has removed Sanchez from the centre forward position as some kind of punishment for his apparent falling out with his team mates and bad behaviour. The whole thing is a complete mess and of Wenger's doing.

Power n Glory
04-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Oh I agree, only Arsene knows why he has made the changes he has made. One thing that is clear is that it's a massive mistake.

I mentioned this before but I have a feeling Wenger has removed Sanchez from the centre forward position as some kind of punishment for his apparent falling out with his team mates and bad behaviour. The whole thing is a complete mess and of Wenger's doing.

I agree. He seems petty enough to pull that sort of stunt. Now that he's not scoring as much since being shunted over to the wing, the smear campaign about his attitude is having more of an effect. It's now easier to justify selling him!

Clubs an absolute joke.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm not convinced by that to be honest, not because I don't think Wenger would do that. It's because Sanchez hasn't frequently been playing up front since post Xmas.

It's more to do with Wengers stubborn and idiosyncratic behaviour. Wenger as we know cares less about formation and shape than he does shoehorning his favourite players into the side.

Power n Glory
04-05-2017, 12:49 PM
I'm not convinced by that to be honest, not because I don't think Wenger would do that. It's because Sanchez hasn't frequently been playing up front since post Xmas.

It's more to do with Wengers stubborn and idiosyncratic behaviour. Wenger as we know cares less about formation and shape than he does shoehorning his favourite players into the side.

Which was when it was widely reported that contract talks had broken down.

selassie
04-05-2017, 12:53 PM

There have been games this year where Welbeck or even Walcott have been playing through the middle over Sanchez.

Wenger won't play Sanchez there anymore, it's totally crazy TBH.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
04-05-2017, 12:59 PM
Which was when it was widely reported that contract talks had broken down.

And also he was playing Giroud because he'd run into a rich vein of form and didn't feel he could drop him (stupid i know but that's Wenger for you)

Wenger never really wanted to play Sanchez up front and i think he felt the lack of options made it necessary and he stuck with it

Wenger as we know doesn't innovate he stumbles upon things by accident or circumstance.

Power n Glory
04-05-2017, 01:18 PM
There have been games this year where Welbeck or even Walcott have been playing through the middle over Sanchez.

Wenger won't play Sanchez there anymore, it's totally crazy TBH.

Yeah, it makes no sense at all. Sanchez was a goal threat and creative source and that's been blunted. Blunting his creativity by shunting him wide effects other players too. Stupid decision I can't understand.

AFC Leveller
04-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Wenger on 14/04/2017:

‘He plays with an aggressive attitude. Fortunately, he’s a player who likes to touch the ball a lot.

‘He prefers to play wide than up front. He can get more of the ball. He has to keep the balance between providing and goalscoring.’

selassie
04-05-2017, 03:16 PM
Wenger on 14/04/2017:

‘He plays with an aggressive attitude. Fortunately, he’s a player who likes to touch the ball a lot.

‘He prefers to play wide than up front. He can get more of the ball. He has to keep the balance between providing and goalscoring.’

:lol:

This is what Sanchez said about his switch upfront...

"I like it as a centre forward because I can get involved in the play more," Sanchez told Arsenal's official website
"I have the chance to drop deep a little bit more and that means I can link up with my team-mates more. .

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/alexis-sanchez-i-like-playing-as-a-centre-forward-at-arsenal-a3395726.html

Classic Arsenal, Wenger says the complete opposite to what Sanchez said!

Power n Glory
04-05-2017, 03:18 PM

This is what Sanchez said about his switch upfront...

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/alexis-sanchez-i-like-playing-as-a-centre-forward-at-arsenal-a3395726.html

Classic Arsenal, Wenger says the complete opposite to what Sanchez said!

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Wenger's not going to waste time considering what the player has to say. Wenger knows best.

AFC Leveller
04-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Wenger's not going to waste time considering what the player has to say. Wenger knows best.

He was in the red zone upfront and was playing with the handbrake on.

Niall_Quinn
04-05-2017, 05:37 PM
He was in the red zone upfront and was playing with the handbrake on.

He lacked a bit freedom to play within his own spirit and mentality.

Marc Overmars
09-05-2017, 08:49 AM
WENGER ON LUCAS PEREZ FUTURE

Lucas Perez is available for selection, but his Arsenal future is not certain...

“He is again fit. He was back in training yesterday.

“He’s a top quality striker but I couldn’t give him the games he wants and deserves, I confess that. I feel a bit sorry for him.”

Asked about a Spain return for Perez, Wenger said: “If I am the manager I would love to keep him but we have to sit down and see if he has a realistic chance to play.”

:wave:

Globalgunner
09-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Wenger really doesn't see things the way most people do. Scoring goals every time you play is not enough to convince him you're a good striker. You need to contribute in other ways like Giroud does.

Niall_Quinn
09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Wenger really doesn't see things the way most people do. Scoring goals every time you play is not enough to convince him you're a good striker. You need to contribute in other ways like Giroud does.

:unsure:

Marc Overmars
31-05-2017, 11:30 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10899964/lucas-perez-wants-to-leave-arsenal-this-summer-claims-agent

What a waste.

Penguin
01-06-2017, 10:06 AM
If he knew he was going to be treated like shit he would have never agreed to sign for us. He has mostly kept his mouth shut and tried his best whenever he's been given time on the pitch so there's no excuses for Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 10:13 AM
My impression of the guy.

Professional. Has worked as hard as Alexis on the few occasions he's been allowed on the pitch.

Always seemed to add something through his work rate, pace down the flank and directness.

Good and accurate shooting.

Excellent return for the few minutes he's spent in the team.

Another classic case of if your face doesn't fit then Wenger won't play you.

Conclusion. Wenger wasted 17 mill just to keep fans who demanded we get a striker happy.

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2016/2017/olivier_giroud/641/641/115/0/p|premier_league/2016/2017/lucas_pérez/641/641/8965/0/p#total_score/attack_score/defence_score/possession_score/pass_completion/key_passes/assists/chances_created/goals_scored/total_shots/shot_accuracy/successful_take_ons/aerial_duels_won/total_duels_%#90

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Hard to judge him as he hardly played, did Ok when he did though and got a few goals, would have been good to have seen him play a few games over the Wengers favourite Giroud.

Never got a chance, total waste of money in that respect, we'lll probably have to take a loss on him, a signing to appease the fans as mentioned earlier. The club play the fans like a fiddle.