04-10-2016, 09:23 PM
http://news.arseblog.com/2016/10/video-thierry-henry-interviews-arsene-wenger/

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
04-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Nice one! Loved it.

Letters
04-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Wenger :bow:

For all the frustrations of late he's by far our best manager in the modern era and I believe he's always done what he thinks is best for the future of the club.

He has only failed in the last 3 years compared with the expectation levels he has set.

Globalgunner
05-10-2016, 07:17 AM

For all the frustrations of late he's by far our best manager in the modern era and I believe he's always done what he thinks is best for the future of the club.

He has only failed in the last 3 years compared with the expectation levels he has set.

A 2nd rate manager, clueless in Europe, incapable of building on title winning sides, easily foxed by mediocre opposition sides. An ideologue trapped by his own idiosyncracies. So yeah. If he is able to set his own standards, yes he is brilliant surpassing all his own expectations. Give him another 5 years or maybe 10.

Meantime back in the real world. about as many trophies as George Graham.

Niall_Quinn
05-10-2016, 07:53 AM

A little early with the revisionism.

Letters
05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
You disagree?

Letters
05-10-2016, 12:43 PM
A 2nd rate manager.
:lol: Behave...

The Emirates Gallactico
05-10-2016, 01:05 PM
2nd rate manager? :lol:

He certainly lacks the ruthlessness and ultimately trophy success to put him alongside the likes of Ferguson but come on now. He's completely modernised the club and made us global players ...... that will be his legacy. :lol:

Anyway to the video, I love how Thierry still calls him boss (he's not the only former player as well). You can see how much respect he still has for him despite their disagreement in the summer about Henry giving up his coaching job or his Sky gig.

Kano
05-10-2016, 01:42 PM
The respect is mutual I think because a large part of their success was dependent on each other. Wenger transformed his career and allowed Henry to maximise his potential by moving him back from the wing and Le Boss had one of the best strikers in the world at his disposal for 8 seasons.

Niall_Quinn
05-10-2016, 01:56 PM
You disagree?

It's not a question of disagreeing. It's a question of reality. Pretending he's been sub-standard for only 3 years doesn't get off the ground as a theory given the facts. This isn't an invitation to regurgitate all the excuses he's made for himself. Just look at the record and you'll see he's been a mediocre football manager at best over the last decade. He may have been a great accountant, but for a club of this stature he's delivered failure heaped upon failure for far more than 3 years.

This is the danger. A few good results and an anniversary where loads of fans forget the reality so they can dwell on the past and before you know it this guy will have awarded himself another 3 years.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure that's true NQ

I think the atmosphere amongst the fans amongst the past two years has been consistent that he is only ever a run of a few bad results away from protest and calls for his head.

In the same way that a manager who hasn't been here as long wouldn't get.

I think the attitude amongst the majority of fans is quite eminently sensible, that whilst the results are positive there is little sense in negativity and protest because almost every single fan wants us to win games whether we are being managed by Wenger or not.

I don't think anyone is under any illusion that we have seen it all before and that in all likelihood it won't last, but would be churlish not to enjoy it whilst it lasts.

As for Wenger's deficiencies as a manager they are largely unchanged, tactically he's always been found wanting and although there is no doubt a correlation between money's spent and prizes won in the modern game...he has been unable to take advantage of outlier seasons where the top sides have dropped off and provided the opportunity for us to slip in.

I think he is still an incredible recogniser of talent, although in the age of you tube scouting where 17 years old do flicks and tricks to a background soundtrack it's less of a discernible skill than it was.

He has offered us the kind of consistency during a transitional phase that few managers (even the top ones) could have provided, but at the same time a better manager would have probably won more during the same period even if not keeping us in the top four every season. And since money is no longer an issue it seems obvious that he is ill-equipped to go the distance and motivate the players he has to get over the line when their own ability only takes them so far.

Now you're probably right in that in terms of this, this issue goes back further than three years....the difference is now is that he no longer has the benefit of the doubt.

Niall_Quinn
05-10-2016, 03:05 PM
That's true enough, it is only in the last couple of years that a greater number of fans have reached the "enough is enough" stage.

Globalgunner
05-10-2016, 03:41 PM
In all honesty I would rank him alongside similar achieving managers such as Howard Kendall who won stuff at Everton despite the overbearing presence of a football superpower. In terms of creating a new paradigm yes he was something new and different brought new techniques into training and analysis, but it is easy to see that his rise and fall closely followed that of French football in general. His time is gone methinks. We need to move beyond him from next season, a new contract would be poison even if he won another FA cup.

alexander
05-10-2016, 06:24 PM
In all honesty I would rank him alongside similar achieving managers such as Howard Kendall

:blah:

Xhaka Can’t
05-10-2016, 07:11 PM
He's no Owen Coyle that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Letters
05-10-2016, 10:10 PM
That's true enough, it is only in the last couple of years that a greater number of fans have reached the "enough is enough" stage.

The last couple of years the money has been there to properly compete so of course the expectations have changed.
You can keep pretending you think he's done a bad job since the Invincibles if you like but 2 years ago after the first FA Cup you were supportive of him getting a new contract.
And you accuse me of revisionism...

Xhaka Can’t
05-10-2016, 10:22 PM
How I imagine a real life conversation between NQ and Letters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRW0DXOd-pM

Niall_Quinn
05-10-2016, 11:21 PM
How I imagine a real life conversation between NQ and Letters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SRW0DXOd-pM

If he ever spoke to me like that, I'd cry.

Niall_Quinn
05-10-2016, 11:23 PM
The last couple of years the money has been there to properly compete so of course the expectations have changed.
You can keep pretending you think he's done a bad job since the Invincibles if you like but 2 years ago after the first FA Cup you were supportive of him getting a new contract.
And you accuse me of revisionism...

Shut up and sit down, you big bald fuck!

Letters
06-10-2016, 01:37 AM
How dare you! I'm not big :sulk:

Grebbo
07-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Interesting that he mentions Man U away last season as one of his biggest disappointments. We just didn't turn up at all in that game and that must be such a bitch for a manager to witness.

Grebbo
07-10-2016, 08:27 AM
I'd have liked Thierry to ask why, after lots of success, Wenger switched from having a team with several tall, strong players not scared to make a tackle e.g. Petit, Vieira etc to a team who were the exact oppoiste. Especially when Chelsea came along with Essien and Makelele and replicated it and enjoyed even more success.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Interesting that he mentions Man U away last season as one of his biggest disappointments. We just didn't turn up at all in that game and that must be such a bitch for a manager to witness.

Plenty of disappointments at United to choose from

Man United 1-0 Arsenal 96/97
Man United 6-1 Arsenal 00/01
Man United 2-0 Arsenal 02/03
Man United 2-0 Arsenal 04/05
Man United 1-0 Arsenal 04/05 LC
Man United 2-0 Arsenal 05/06
Man United 4-0 Arsenal 07/08 FAC
Man United 2-1 Arsenal 07/08
Man United 1-0 Arsenal 08/09 EC
Man United 2-1 Arsenal 09/10
Man United 1-0 Arsenal 10/11
Man United 2-0 Arsenal 10/11 FAC
Man United 8-2 Arsenal 11/12
Man United 2-1 Arsenal 12/13
Man United 1-0 Arsenal 13/14
Man United 3-2 Arsenal 15/16

Our league record at Old Trafford reads at W 3 D 5 L 12

Abysmal

GP
07-10-2016, 10:45 AM
I'd have liked Thierry to ask why, after lots of success, Wenger switched from having a team with several tall, strong players not scared to make a tackle e.g. Petit, Vieira etc to a team who were the exact oppoiste. Especially when Chelsea came along with Essien and Makelele and replicated it and enjoyed even more success.

It's because it's easy to buy massive players, and it's easy to buy technical players. It's not easy to buy massive, technical players, especially at the time and the financial restrictions we were under.

Marc Overmars
07-10-2016, 12:43 PM

I think that was the fixture for most of us that made it abundantly clear we didn't have the mentality to last the distance, consumed by fear once again as the expectation rose. He knows he probably won't get another crack at the title as straight forward as that.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Plenty of fixtures proved we didn't have the mettle

Both Chelsea fixtures, the away game at Anfield, the Southampton fixtures, the West Brom game where we missed a penalty to draw level

The West Ham fixture at upton park where we could have still applied pressure to leicester had we won

Marc Overmars
07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
True there were plenty of stinkers but I understand why Wenger has stated that United game as one of his biggest disappointments. We still had a very realistic chance at that point, especially if we had bothered to ride the wave of euphoria after the Leicester win.

The fans gave up after the United game and the players also checked out. Then that rancid end of season form ensued.