PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Spurs (Home - PL 16/17)

Munchies
06-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Same as last year

Wenker out

Shit all over

Marc Overmars
06-11-2016, 02:09 PM
A fairly predictable result, both sides had their moments. They looked like the fitter team but I guess that isn't a surprise given how integral pressing is to their game.

Can't help but feel disappointed having gone 3 seasons now without beating them at home. In all fairness though there isn't a great deal to separate the teams, they're a decent side and so are we.

Horrible trip to Old Trafford next up, wonder if we'll turn up this time.

dostoy
06-11-2016, 02:10 PM
I knew we would not win, I could have guaranteed it.

We will not win the PL again under Wenger but then we all knew that anyway.

Every year its predictable.

Munchies
06-11-2016, 02:11 PM
Why we gave up Campbell and kept someone as useless as ox is f'n crazy. Iwobi was shocking too but it was bound to happen

McNamara That Ghost...
06-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Unbeaten November. :bow:

Kano
06-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Would've loved a win but a draw is acceptable.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Why we gave up Campbell and kept someone as useless as ox is f'n crazy. Iwobi was shocking too but it was bound to happen

Iwobi looks like he's been pushed into the first team too soon, and those goals he scored in March/April were false dawns

I think the Ox at his best is many times better than Campbell it's just that we are seldom seeing that best and i think his time at the club is running out.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Enough of Wenger's tired old shit and his choking, pampered teams. We needed players to get stuck in there and drag out a result but we never looked like doing it. Fortunate own goal, a stream of awful efforts on goal and then an engineered equaliser from one of the most cynical, anti-footballing teams you are likely to see all season. We've seen it before. Over and over. Enough now. Proper manager needed who can get the performances out of this team that will lead to the points that will lead to the rewards.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Iwobi looks like he's been pushed into the first team too soon, and those goals he scored in March/April were false dawns

He's a good player but as usual Wenger thinks he can approach every game in the same way and ask the same of every player regardless of the opposition or the occasion. Hardly surprising Iwobi was a bit overwhelmed today. But not nearly as overwhelmed as Xhaka and Mustafi. Those two guys will have a hard time peeling their shit stained underwear off, that's for sure. 60mill? Not today.

Marc Overmars
06-11-2016, 02:20 PM

In fairness they drew a lot of errors out of us. Everything we did felt so rushed, I guess that's why they've become a very difficult team to play against.

Mustafi was all over the place today.

topgun
06-11-2016, 02:21 PM
Tactically second best again but that's no surprise is it.As for Ox he needs to go somewhere else.

Globalgunner
06-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Nothing will change with the dinosaur in charge. He sees every team and every game the same way. players need to be taught what to watch out for. Tottenham are a cynical team, ritational fouling and cynical time wasting dives. If a player comes charging into the box from midfield, you foul him long before he gets into the box. No we just play our beautiful game that brings the best out of humankind. We may have to step up our cultivation of human values if Beelzebub takes over the world on tuesday.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:26 PM
He's a good player but as usual Wenger thinks he can approach every game in the same way and ask the same of every player regardless of the opposition or the occasion. Hardly surprising Iwobi was a bit overwhelmed today. But not nearly as overwhelmed as Xhaka and Mustafi. Those two guys will have a hard time peeling their shit stained underwear off, that's for sure. 60mill? Not today.

The short passing game is always going to play into the hands of a team like Spurs, Mustafi can be quite ponderous at times i'm still not 100% convinced by him and definitely don't think he was worth what we paid for him (but then Chelsea paid 25 million for an ex Bolton player so that's the market madness for you). Xhaka wasn't the right choice for a game like this, the hope i'm guessing was that he'd win the ball back deep and be able to play a killer ball but when you've got Dier, Wardrobe Monster and Dembele clogging up the midfield like hairs in a plughole there is just no point to it.

Gibbs should have played instead of Monreal as he links up defence and attack better, and with three in central defence allowing their full backs to roam high up the pitch could have caught them out much better on their flanks.

That plus Iwobi is young and won't cover for Monreal

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Lackluster performance. Stupid pen to give away. Kos sticking his leg out gave the spurs player the chance to fall. They wanted it more than we did. Two minutes to go and they're walking around the pitch and not getting the ball near the goal more pissy passy. A good point for them, I said I'd take a draw because I thought they were going to nick it, a draw is better than a loss, but a poor, poor performance.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:27 PM
In fairness they drew a lot of errors out of us. Everything we did felt so rushed, I guess that's why they've become a very difficult team to play against.

The thing with constant pressing no matter how fit your players are you can only keep it up so long until the batteries run down.

The Emirates Gallactico
06-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Homegrown Quota simple as.

Campbell's performances last year were better than anything Ox has served us this and last season. It was harsh for him to be the one to go on loan but that passport matters these days.

And Iwobi didn't have a good game but he's still a kid. We shouldn't expect or rely on him to deliver consistently just yet for us.

adzzzbatch
06-11-2016, 02:29 PM
2 points dropped at home, probably another 2/3 points at old Trafford, slip up against PSG and the November cycle will be complete for another year.

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:34 PM

I think the Ox at his best is many times better than Campbell it's just that we are seldom seeing that best and i think his time at the club is running out.

I used to think that about Theo, but he's still here.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Homegrown Quota simple as.

Campbell's performances last year were better than anything Ox has served us this and last season. It was harsh for him to be the one to go on loan but that passport matters these days.

And Iwobi didn't have a good game but he's still a kid. We shouldn't expect or rely on him to deliver consistently just yet for us.

Ox has been gash for a while, but Campbell for all his sleeves rolled up work just isn't anything great technically and you know how AW loves his silky boys

Ox needs to attend basic finishing 101 whether he stays with us or ends up somewhere else in the future.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:36 PM
I used to think that about Theo, but he's still here.

Ox wants to go and i don't think Walcott does,

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Ox wants to go and i don't think Walcott does,

I didn't know Ox wants to leave, why don't we let him?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:47 PM
well he said on goals on sunday recently he was willing to leave if he didn't get more game time (time that he has proved undeserving of)

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:49 PM
well he said on goals on sunday recently he was willing to leave if he didn't get more game time (time that he has proved undeserving of)

He has the potential to be a good player, he should go to improve himself. Did we ever send him out on loan?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:52 PM
He has the potential to be a good player, he should go to improve himself. Did we ever send him out on loan?

No and i think as rightly said the home grown rule aside we would have been better off sending him out on loan.

Has is Campbell getting along at Sporting Lesbian?

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:55 PM
No and i think as rightly said the home grown rule aside we would have been better off sending him out on loan.

Has is Campbell getting along at Sporting Lesbian?

He should go on loan in January.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 02:57 PM
He should go on loan in January.

:wacko:

why on earth would we do that, we have few enough players that could play wide, unless we were going to sign someone in January that would be a no go

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 02:58 PM
:wacko:

why on earth would we do that, we have few enough players that could play wide, unless we were going to sign someone in January that would be a no go

I'm thinking from his point of view really, I've always liked him and I wish he could reach his potential. Of course it wouldn't make any sense from the club's point of view

Penguin
06-11-2016, 03:04 PM
A draw against Spurs isn't a bad result these days but it sure feels like two points dropped. We played with the handbrake on, as Wenger would say. But why do we always play with it on? Maybe Wenger doesn't know how to take it off?

Mustafi hasn't really convinced me. He has some good traits like his anticipation and tenacity but something isn't clicking between him and Koscielny. It's not one sided but Kos has proved he can play well with other partners.

The three subs did nothing. We actually played worse with Giroud and Ox on the pitch. Giroud HAD to score that chance. He's not talented enough to be forgiven for missing bread and butter chances like that. Not only that but we completely lose our pressing game (what little of one we have) when he's on the pitch strolling around like a statue in the middle of the gap between their defence and midfield. If you're going to do that then at least stand next to one of the CBs to make it a little bit harder for them to play it out of the back. Ox was awful. Lost possession a few times with a bad touch, he wasted good opportunities with a bad final ball and kept giving away needless fouls to take the pressure off Spurs. For someone who was complaining about not starting enough games recently he isn't doing much to change the manager's mind.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking from his point of view really, I've always liked him and I wish he could reach his potential. Of course it wouldn't make any sense from the club's point of view

I couldn't care less what's best for him

He's an employee that's all

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
06-11-2016, 03:24 PM
You really have to work hard to be a sub and still garner the most criticism but the Ox outdone himself. Sickening showing from him. Xhaka has obviously never headed a ball in his life the way he went at that chance which leaves me wondering what on earth he's doing in Arsenal's midfield.

Clatternburg was a dipshit, missing the blatant pen from Vertonghen pulling Alexis' shirt as well as the obvious fouls on Theo. Trying to 'let the game flow'. Preening prick.

Power n Glory
06-11-2016, 04:02 PM
You really have to work hard to be a sub and still garner the most criticism but the Ox outdone himself. Sickening showing from him. Xhaka has obviously never headed a ball in his life the way he went at that chance which leaves me wondering what on earth he's doing in Arsenal's midfield.

Clatternburg was a dipshit, missing the blatant pen from Vertonghen pulling Alexis' shirt as well as the obvious fouls on Theo. Trying to 'let the game flow'. Preening prick.

It was a bad cameo appearance from Ox but he's the least of our worries. First team starters first.

Coquelin and Xhaka aren't a good a combination. We didn't get any rash challenges from either but they did a poor job when it came to marking and pressing. It's even worse when it comes to dictating the tempo and controlling the midfield. It took us a long time to mount a decent attack and we really missed the distribution of Santi or Elneny. Spurs had more possession than us and we struggled to get the ball to our most dangerous players.

Xhaka was only able to find Ozil on 4 occasions. Sanchez 3. Walcott 3. Iwobi 5. That's really not good enough and I said it in the match thread, we've paid too much for him.

Iwobi probably needs to hit the bench. He had a poor game too. There was one moment where he could have played the ball inside to Sanchez that would have put us clean through on goal but he played it outside to Walcott who put in a tame cross. A month or two ago, Iwobi would have made that pass with ease. Maybe he has the jitters. Needs a bench but it doesn't help when you see what Ox has to offer.

A drew isn't a bad result. Poor penalty to give away. Coquelin should have done better to take the foul before that ever happened and Kos should have done better with his tackle.

Ref was awful as well. A real shit performance from him too.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 04:14 PM

The ref was either incompetent or he was cheating. But the same can be said for every ref really. None of them are up to reffing a PL game, not with all the snidey cheating and diving and the rest of it. The spuds are particularly good at breaking up the play without picking up the whole heap of yellows and reds they deserve for persistent fouling. Refs just aren't smart enough or bothered enough to let it go and pundits view it all as the rough and tumble of the PL which is fine, but not when we don't get the same benefits ourselves. Players like Dier and Wanyama are virtually talentless pubbers who secure a starting spot for their ability to run for 90 mins and fould without attracting cards for 90 mins. If the spuds players had been picking up cards like Kos' then they'd have ended up with 6 or 7 sent off. This is the dirty little secret of the PL, pub teams are given a free pass to do their stuff and make the league "exciting". That Xhaka red becomes more ludicrous as the weeks roll on and the lack of any other instance occurring becomes ever more conspicuous. There's certainly one rule for Arsenal and one rule for the rest. Don't know why it's that way - maybe it goes back to a general dislike for the club stirred up by comments from Neanderthals like Fat 'Crooked' Sam and Tony Putrid. I think the common "wisdom" that [they] "don't like it up 'em" has caused many a ref to look the other way.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 04:16 PM
It was a bad cameo appearance from Ox but he's the least of our worries. First team starters first.

Coquelin and Xhaka aren't a good a combination. We didn't get any rash challenges from either but they did a poor job when it came to marking and pressing. It's even worse when it comes to dictating the tempo and controlling the midfield. It took us a long time to mount a decent attack and we really missed the distribution of Santi or Elneny. Spurs had more possession than us and we struggled to get the ball to our most dangerous players.

Xhaka was only able to find Ozil on 4 occasions. Sanchez 3. Walcott 3. Iwobi 5. That's really not good enough and I said it in the match thread, we've paid too much for him.

Iwobi probably needs to hit the bench. He had a poor game too. There was one moment where he could have played the ball inside to Sanchez that would have put us clean through on goal but he played it outside to Walcott who put in a tame cross. A month or two ago, Iwobi would have made that pass with ease. Maybe he has the jitters. Needs a bench but it doesn't help when you see what Ox has to offer.

A drew isn't a bad result. Poor penalty to give away. Coquelin should have done better to take the foul before that ever happened and Kos should have done better with his tackle.

Ref was awful as well. A real shit performance from him too.

Disagree about Clattenburg, it was a typical performance for a shit referee

I think Xhaka is a top draw player but has only shown it in spells this season, but no he and Coquelin are not a good combination. He isn't worth 34 million or whatever we played about half that as he's good but far from being world class.

That pair in front of the defence should be Cazorla and Xhaka, Elneny and Xhaka, Coquelin and Cazorla and Cazorla and Elneny....shouldn't play Elneny and Coquelin or Coquelin and Xhaka.

Not sure about Cazorla and Coquelin either, didn't work at all against high pressing PSG

Özil's Panoramic View
06-11-2016, 04:19 PM
And the purgatory continues under the old fraud, his little lovies on the pitch and his legions of window lickers who back him to the hilt.

Nothing will change as long as the clueless looney remains at the helm. An ordinary spuds team under an ordinary manager come here for the 3rd season in a row and nullify us. The clown sets up his team the same way regardless of opponent; same timed subs, compounded by zero in game management.

Just fuck off wenker, and take Ramsey along with the tourists, that cram the bowl on match days, with you.

Goonermerree
06-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Who would you get in to manage now?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 04:47 PM
And the purgatory continues under the old fraud, his little lovies on the pitch and his legions of window lickers who back him to the hilt.

Nothing will change as long as the clueless looney remains at the helm. An ordinary spuds team under an ordinary manager come here for the 3rd season in a row and nullify us. The clown sets up his team the same way regardless of opponent; same timed subs, compounded by zero in game management.

Just fuck off wenker, and take Ramsey along with the tourists, that cram the bowl on match days, with you.

We should have won but it's ridiculous to call Spurs ordinary and their manager less so

This is a team that is incredibly hard to beat, they aren't scoring many but they sure as hell aren't conceding many. The team performance wasn't great but neither was it terrible.

Chippy
06-11-2016, 05:12 PM

I said the other day that Mustafi is not much better than Merts! He was a panic buy in my opinion. Wenger cannot buy a decent defender unfortunately.

Power n Glory
06-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Mustafi had a bad game but he's not worse than Merts. His bad game didn't costs us the game.

Chippy
06-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Mustafi had a bad game but he's not worse than Merts. His bad game didn't costs us the game.

I said that "He is not much better than Merts".

The Emirates Gallactico
06-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Completely baffling team selection from Wenger.

I mean he buys Elneny last January because he most likely saw how badly we fell apart once Santi got injured and he knew he needed to bring a long term replacement and yet when the time comes to play him when Santi inevitably gets injured he keeps him on the bench and the end result is the game against Ludograts where we just managed to get over the line after an appalling start and today's lethagic performance.

There's no defending it either. I just can't get what he was thinking ...... surely he must have known that Xhaka & Coquelin would struggle together.

I said that "He is not much better than Merts".

Definitely had a shocker by his standards today but he's a lot better than Merts. We can actually play a high line know which closes the gap to the midfield and pushes them further forward into the other team's half.

Kano
06-11-2016, 05:59 PM
I've always assumed that Elneny is the stand in for Coq, rather than Santi. We didn't hand pick the perfect midfielder in January, he was pretty much a guy to fill up the squad and add numbers but has proved very useful since. After so much effort put into coming back from 2-0 down, I expected us to be a bit flat today and in years past we would've lost a game like this rather than deserve a least a draw. The other week it was Coq and Elneny shouldn't play together because they offer little going forward, post Boro I think that was reaction came about.

Özil's Panoramic View
06-11-2016, 06:54 PM
We should have won but it's ridiculous to call Spurs ordinary and their manager less so

This is a team that is incredibly hard to beat, they aren't scoring many but they sure as hell aren't conceding many. The team performance wasn't great but neither was it terrible.

They are an ordinary team. Their manager has achieved fuck all in his career. In fact, he left Espanyol firmly rooted at the bottom of LA Liga and got shown up by Koeman a season after leaving Soton. Sure, he got the spuds into the CL last season (the piss poorest season in recent history), but he oversaw another of their Houdini-like bottle jobs, coming 3rd in a 2 horse race. And, they're currently utter tripe in the CL, on the verge of being booted out at the group stage.

Everything about them is ordinary. Ordinary players in every position (not one I can point to and say I'd want here), an ordinary bench and, yes, an ordinary manager. The media love them for some inexplicable reason though, so they get waxed lyrically about and some of our fans then allow themselves to be sucked it by the shit narratives.

Özil's Panoramic View
06-11-2016, 06:56 PM
PS I can't wait for the vermin scum to taste their 1st defeat, so all this nauseating talk about 'Invincibles' can fuck off right out the window.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 07:05 PM
PS I can't wait for the vermin scum to taste their 1st defeat, so all this nauseating talk about 'Invincibles' can fuck off right out the window.

You mean the Unbookables surely?

fakeyank
06-11-2016, 07:27 PM
We are in 4th place. What more do you guys want? We have reached our aim for the season.

Özil's Panoramic View
06-11-2016, 08:18 PM
We are in 4th place. What more do you guys want? We have reached our aim for the season.

That coupled with qualification from the group stages to knockout round.

Job done.

New 2 year contract signing imminent.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
06-11-2016, 08:33 PM
watched the highlights of the game, we created enough decent chances to win the game, for all their defensive solidity we actually carved them open quite well at times but then just made the wrong decision or a shot was lacking conviction or accuracy.

Our defending was shoddy, conceded a penalty because koscielny was trying to deal with danger created for him by others...someone needed to set mustafi's alarm clock because the cunt was clearly still asleep.

They created decent chances and could have snatched an undeserved win if one of them had fallen more kindly for them.

Again hard to tell with highlights but the performance didn't seem as bad as was indicated on it, not from an attacking sense.....we created chances we were just horribly woeful in finishing them (where as many times we play tippy tappy and create fuck all)

Should have won no question.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Our defence has been shoddy all season.

Globalgunner
06-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Our defence has been shoddy all season.

Different personnel, same problem. Has been since 2006 when Wenger took over coaching the defence, before then we had players who knew when to ignore him.

Power n Glory
06-11-2016, 09:39 PM
It wasn't a great defence performance but we only conceded from a penalty. It's not as if we were lucky to come out with a draw.

Niall_Quinn
06-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Different personnel, same problem. Has been since 2006 when Wenger took over coaching the defence, before then we had players who knew when to ignore him.

Looking at it from the outside you'd swear Wenger just ignores the defence. You'd have to hope that's true for his sake because if he's actively coaching them then that's just fucking sad. His subs today showed him up for what he is. Clueless.

selassie
07-11-2016, 01:24 PM
They are an ordinary team. Their manager has achieved fuck all in his career. In fact, he left Espanyol firmly rooted at the bottom of LA Liga and got shown up by Koeman a season after leaving Soton. Sure, he got the spuds into the CL last season (the piss poorest season in recent history), but he oversaw another of their Houdini-like bottle jobs, coming 3rd in a 2 horse race. And, they're currently utter tripe in the CL, on the verge of being booted out at the group stage.

Everything about them is ordinary. Ordinary players in every position (not one I can point to and say I'd want here), an ordinary bench and, yes, an ordinary manager. The media love them for some inexplicable reason though, so they get waxed lyrically about and some of our fans then allow themselves to be sucked it by the shit narratives.

We're not any better than them, in fact we're not any better than any of the challengers (Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Spuds & Man Utd).

Kano
07-11-2016, 01:39 PM
I was kinda with you until Man U there Selass.

Power n Glory
07-11-2016, 01:50 PM
If we lose to Man Utd, Selassie might be right. They're not too far down the table to turn it around. 18 points to our 24 points. It's a going to be a tight race.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 02:09 PM
exactly, United have a decent squad which is not performing

And unfortunately I don't think we have the guile in our team to beat them or get a draw

mastermind84
07-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Arsene and Pochiettino have figured each other out and just battle to stalemates.

fakeyank
07-11-2016, 02:44 PM
exactly, United have a decent squad which is not performing

And unfortunately I don't think we have the guile in our team to beat them or get a draw

Wenger cannot beat Mourinho. It's going to be a long 90 minutes when we play United.

:ilt:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Wenger cannot beat Mourinho. It's going to be a long 90 minutes when we play United.

:ilt:

well he can because he has, albeit it was the community shield which is a glorified friendly

It will be different in a game that for Mourinho is a must win.

Goonermerree
07-11-2016, 03:53 PM
Wenger said we were nervous yesterday, we'll be even worse at OT. I don't quite get the 'nervous' bit though. Iwobi I can understand, but you have other players who have all played in major competitions, Ozil a WC winner and others in semis of major competitions. It's their job to beat Spuds. I can understand being nervous at the start, but once they get playing, they should just play!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 04:10 PM
confidence comes from the manager, when you see a wiry old bird in a Michelin man straitjacket sitting on the bench when you look for confidence it's not exactly going to fill you with it.

Letters
07-11-2016, 04:22 PM

We're 2 points off the top, have qualified for the last 16 of the CL with two games to spare (for what it's worth) and haven't lost since the opening day you silly sod! :lol:

Disappointing result but don't wet your pants. Sheesh. You don't win the title in November, we're in the mix and for now that's all that matters. That said, a win in this one would have been a statement of intent and we fluffed our lines. It's notable that after the last 2 CL games Arsenal, City and ManYoo have all dropped points while Chelsea and Liverpool have capitalised. Their failures last season could help them this year.

Didn't see it, heard it was a fair result. Bit disappointed but that's all. You might not like to admit it but Spurs aren't an 'ordinary' side these days, they're no Barcelona but gone are the days when it was men vs boys and we'd sweep them aside. They haven't lost a league game yet and have beaten City who some were crowning champions after 5 games.

bignev
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
We're 2 points off the top, have qualified for the last 16 of the CL with two games to spare (for what it's worth) and haven't lost since the opening day you silly sod! :lol:

Disappointing result but don't wet your pants. Sheesh. You don't win the title in November, we're in the mix and for now that's all that matters. That said, a win in this one would have been a statement of intent and we fluffed our lines. It's notable that after the last 2 CL games Arsenal, City and ManYoo have all dropped points while Chelsea and Liverpool have capitalised. Their failures last season could help them this year.

Didn't see it, heard it was a fair result. Bit disappointed but that's all. You might not like to admit it but Spurs aren't an 'ordinary' side these days, they're no Barcelona but gone are the days when it was men vs boys and we'd sweep them aside. They haven't lost a league game yet and have beaten City who some were crowning champions after 5 games.

Once again Letters is on point.

Coney
07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Spuds are always up for this game and make an extra effort, so it is not surprising we find it a more difficult match. Nice if we win but a draw is OK under the circumstances. Still in touch at the top. I liked Klopp saying “If someone thinks being one point ahead after 11 match days is a big sign for the rest of the season, I can’t help this person.” Same applies here. If someone thinks that a draw today shows we have no chance in the league, they are past help too. We are in the mix. This team is better than any we have had for many years. It is a long grind for the title but that also applies to the others. I think we need to put the spud game into perspective and not panic over it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Spuds are always up for this game and make an extra effort, so it is not surprising we find it a more difficult match. Nice if we win but a draw is OK under the circumstances. Still in touch at the top. I liked Klopp saying “If someone thinks being one point ahead after 11 match days is a big sign for the rest of the season, I can’t help this person.” Same applies here. If someone thinks that a draw today shows we have no chance in the league, they are past help too. We are in the mix. This team is better than any we have had for many years. It is a long grind for the title but that also applies to the others. I think we need to put the spud game into perspective and not panic over it.

I think the issue is the sense of frustration at having seen it all before, Man City dropped the baton and we failed to pick it up so in that context that's where the anger comes from.

That and we haven't beaten spurs in the league for a long time by our standards. Since Wenger joined the club we've had never gone so long without a win over them.

Letters
07-11-2016, 06:24 PM
Tbf since Wenger joined the club this is by a distance the best Spurs side he's faced.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Tbf since Wenger joined the club this is by a distance the best Spurs side he's faced.

Perhaps, but they are still the hated rivals and failing to beat them in the last five fixtures is going to cause irritation.

Letters
07-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Oh I understand irritation. I'm irritated and disappointed by the result.
What I don't understand is pant wetting, although I've come to expect it on here.

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2016, 06:59 PM

Good grief. How fucking retarded are you? Over and over and over and over and over again and each and every fucking time you fall for it.

Letters
07-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Oh I understand irritation. I'm irritated and disappointed by the result.
What I don't understand is pant wetting, although I've come to expect it on here.

QED :lol:

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2016, 07:06 PM
QED :lol:

You didn't even watch the game. And here you are again with your, "Don't win the title in November", bullshit. Well the fact is, you DO. You win it in November and December and January and so on. But let me translate your tired old pro-Wenger propaganda. One, two, three...

JUDGE HIM AT THE END OF THE SEASON!

And then rinse and repeat.

Letters
07-11-2016, 07:09 PM
The fact that the ideas that how a season has gone should be judged at the end and that you don't win a title in November is thought worthy of debate and needs justifying or explaining says a lot about this place :lol:

Letters
07-11-2016, 07:09 PM
I liked Klopp saying “If someone thinks being one point ahead after 11 match days is a big sign for the rest of the season, I can’t help this person.” Same applies here. If someone thinks that a draw today shows we have no chance in the league, they are past help too. We are in the mix. This team is better than any we have had for many years. It is a long grind for the title but that also applies to the others. I think we need to put the spud game into perspective and not panic over it.
:good:

Pretty much.

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2016, 07:16 PM
The fact that the ideas that how a season has gone should be judged at the end and that you don't win a title in November is thought worthy of debate and needs justifying or explaining says a lot about this place :lol:

No it doesn't. It would do at any normal club, but not this club. You continuously try to write-off a decade long shit show so you can reset the loop and get your tongue out and start licking Wenger's crack all over again. It's pretty fucking embarrassing but you aren't the only one by any stretch. In fact there are just enough of you left t keep this charlatan in a job. For some reason that nobody can explain.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 07:52 PM
No it doesn't. It would do at any normal club, but not this club. You continuously try to write-off a decade long shit show so you can reset the loop and get your tongue out and start licking Wenger's crack all over again. It's pretty fucking embarrassing but you aren't the only one by any stretch. In fact there are just enough of you left t keep this charlatan in a job. For some reason that nobody can explain.

On one hand i have not at any point had any expectation of this season being any different thus why i find the histrionics so bizarre, it seems that people seem to become so angry because they've convinced themselves that it's going to be different.

The way i look at it, I haven't seen any evidence in how we play that we can handle the pressure of expectation or that we have the guile to put teams like Spurs or Mourinho managed sides to bed.

You can take the game individually or you can take the game as an ominous portent of what's to come, if we lose to United and to PSG which I happen to suspect we will than the atmosphere becomes mutinous again, and if the familiar collapse happens again in February/March (that often coincides with the Champions League knock-out phases) than i think what we saw in March and April will happen again only i suspect more intensely.

I think whatever the club's hierarchy say, I don't think they will want this kind of situation dragging on constantly as it looks bad and I do believe that Wenger is managing for his Arsenal future - and that top 4 won't be good enough....only a sustained title challenge and improvement in the Champions League will especially as he has spent a lot in the summer.

Niall_Quinn
07-11-2016, 08:19 PM
On one hand i have not at any point had any expectation of this season being any different thus why i find the histrionics so bizarre, it seems that people seem to become so angry because they've convinced themselves that it's going to be different.

The way i look at it, I haven't seen any evidence in how we play that we can handle the pressure of expectation or that we have the guile to put teams like Spurs or Mourinho managed sides to bed.

You can take the game individually or you can take the game as an ominous portent of what's to come, if we lose to United and to PSG which I happen to suspect we will than the atmosphere becomes mutinous again, and if the familiar collapse happens again in February/March (that often coincides with the Champions League knock-out phases) than i think what we saw in March and April will happen again only i suspect more intensely.

I think whatever the club's hierarchy say, I don't think they will want this kind of situation dragging on constantly as it looks bad and I do believe that Wenger is managing for his Arsenal future - and that top 4 won't be good enough....only a sustained title challenge and improvement in the Champions League will especially as he has spent a lot in the summer.

Perhaps. Or perhaps there will still be enough acolytes that can be rallied to reset the loop. I don't think the board or the manager are the main problems now, although obviously they are highly significant problems. Their aims will be to finish in that top 4 spot again, bank as much as they can possibly bank and continue to focus on the main goal of expanding marketing opportunities across the globe. And without a doubt the board sees Wenger as the best man for that job because he has delivered season after season without fail. I can even understand their point of view. They are in it for the money, the couldn't give a fuck about the football beyond keeping the team inflated just enough to bob around that all important top 4 spot and the marketing vehicle it drives. Why would they want to introduce uncertainty into that situation? And Wenger is on the most comfortable ride in world sport. No expectations of sporting achievement whatsoever, float along on past glories, take the money and somehow still be considered a major player in the game.

I blame the decreasing but yet significant body of (I don't even know what to call them) "fans" who seem to be in this more to preserve the status quo than use their energies to drive the team to the sporting achievement that is supposedly the whole point of Arsenal Football Club. How intolerable is it that we are the only top(?) club that for a decade hasn't been able to even compete to the last day in a major competition? Even Liverpool have surpassed us in this respect. And yet this manager strolls on making his same old stupid excuses season after season. These are the same fans who assured us last season that the draw against Liverpool was a good result. Well anyone who has followed this club for any amount of time knew well that was a fucking catastrophic result and a harbinger of the same old inevitable doom. Now we have the draw against our traditional rivals on our own ground and on the back of a shit performance cast by this same lot as yet another good result. Acceptable they say. Yes, I suppose it is. Just like this tragic mediocrity has been acceptable to so many for so long. I don't know why these fans are in it any longer. If you aren't in sport to compete to the very best of your ability using everything you have at your disposal whether you come first, second or last then get the fuck out of sport. Sport is not for you. And definitely don't be causing a drag on the genuine sports fans who appreciate what the purpose of the sport is all about, don't be fucking getting in the faces of people who stand up and say, Wait a moment, this shit can't stand for one moment longer! For those weirdos who couldn't give a shit about sport and are just here seemingly to worship Arsene Wenger, then fine, take up the seat of a real fan if you must but at least shut the fuck up with your stupid arse opinions because if you don't even understand what sport is then what could you possibly have to say that would be remotely interesting to a sport's fan?

Anyway, we've seen enough now to understand how this all pans out. I guess we just sit back and wait for the run of results that will happen in the new year and hope there are a few god performances in there that can be watched with enthusiasm. Because that's the very best of offer from Wenger, he has other priorities.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-11-2016, 08:29 PM
At home games there is always going to be a sizeable number of prawn sandwich brigade fans, and are contemptuous of other fans for making their disdain known because it's disturbing them watching Grey's Anatomy on their tablet.

The away fans are a different kettle of poissons and before we spent money on Perez and Mustafi it was pretty uniformed mutinous.

I think the extent of this "Wenger Worship" you refer to is exaggerated by social media and media in general, they are in full voice at the moment because they somehow feel vindicated.

I've been to plenty of games where there has been booing because we've been suspect in possession for 10-20 minutes and there is certainly no rebuking of that.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Perhaps. Or perhaps there will still be enough acolytes that can be rallied to reset the loop. I don't think the board or the manager are the main problems now, although obviously they are highly significant problems. Their aims will be to finish in that top 4 spot again, bank as much as they can possibly bank and continue to focus on the main goal of expanding marketing opportunities across the globe. And without a doubt the board sees Wenger as the best man for that job because he has delivered season after season without fail. I can even understand their point of view. They are in it for the money, the couldn't give a fuck about the football beyond keeping the team inflated just enough to bob around that all important top 4 spot and the marketing vehicle it drives. Why would they want to introduce uncertainty into that situation? And Wenger is on the most comfortable ride in world sport. No expectations of sporting achievement whatsoever, float along on past glories, take the money and somehow still be considered a major player in the game.

I blame the decreasing but yet significant body of (I don't even know what to call them) "fans" who seem to be in this more to preserve the status quo than use their energies to drive the team to the sporting achievement that is supposedly the whole point of Arsenal Football Club. How intolerable is it that we are the only top(?) club that for a decade hasn't been able to even compete to the last day in a major competition? Even Liverpool have surpassed us in this respect. And yet this manager strolls on making his same old stupid excuses season after season. These are the same fans who assured us last season that the draw against Liverpool was a good result. Well anyone who has followed this club for any amount of time knew well that was a fucking catastrophic result and a harbinger of the same old inevitable doom. Now we have the draw against our traditional rivals on our own ground and on the back of a shit performance cast by this same lot as yet another good result. Acceptable they say. Yes, I suppose it is. Just like this tragic mediocrity has been acceptable to so many for so long. I don't know why these fans are in it any longer. If you aren't in sport to compete to the very best of your ability using everything you have at your disposal whether you come first, second or last then get the fuck out of sport. Sport is not for you. And definitely don't be causing a drag on the genuine sports fans who appreciate what the purpose of the sport is all about, don't be fucking getting in the faces of people who stand up and say, Wait a moment, this shit can't stand for one moment longer! For those weirdos who couldn't give a shit about sport and are just here seemingly to worship Arsene Wenger, then fine, take up the seat of a real fan if you must but at least shut the fuck up with your stupid arse opinions because if you don't even understand what sport is then what could you possibly have to say that would be remotely interesting to a sport's fan?

Anyway, we've seen enough now to understand how this all pans out. I guess we just sit back and wait for the run of results that will happen in the new year and hope there are a few god performances in there that can be watched with enthusiasm. Because that's the very best of offer from Wenger, he has other priorities.

Fans aren't the problem. If everyone starts thinking along that line then we are in serious trouble as a club.

I've said the exact same things to you about understanding why Board have kept Wenger on. Not wanting to introduce uncertainty at time when we've moved stadiums and negotiating new sponsorship deals. Wenger is their golden goose for sure. I said this about 4/5 years ago when you a lot less critical of Wenger and focused fully on Gazidis and Stan. I also remember saying Wenger will have to be hounded out by the fans to walk away, which is an unfortunate scenario. But you were in total disagreement with me. Why? Probably because their was still some hope that Wenger wasn't a total sell out and in cahoots with what you hate most at the club.

But you've reached your snapping point and I'm sure fans like Letters will reach that point soon enough. But we're in serious trouble if the fans keep turning on each other. I can see it happening with some of the Arsenal Fan TV people and even Rob seems to see where things are leading with the divide. We can't make the problem bigger than what it really is. Fans aren't the problem. As I said, after years of us debating, you eventually drew your own conclusions and saw Wenger as the problem. I think all fans care about winning but most of these Wenger supporters still hang on to hope believing Wenger can pull something off. That's all it is. I hope we can pull something off this season but I'm not looking too much into this results. I've stopped thinking a win against a rival or big team is some sort of indication that we're title contenders. So win, lose or draw one game, I'm trying to get out of the habit of putting so much weight on one result. So I guess i'm holding out until the end of the season. Or at least trying to.

Letters
08-11-2016, 10:25 AM

And there you go with the straw man again...
Kinda understanding why you want Trump to win now, that's his MO too.

If you think we can't win the league because of Sunday's result then you're stupid and as Coney says, I can't help you.
If you think we can't win it because, Wenger. Well OK, that's a fairly reasonable point of view but in that case why bother watching? You seem to be in the final stages of ZD (who seems to have now died from it :rose:) so why not switch off and put us out of your misery, go follow something else till Wenger leaves. Personally, I think we have a squad that can win it but I'm not sure we have the mentality. Right now though we're in the mix and at this stage of the season that's all that matters and this result, while disappointing, was not a disaster. We were playing a team who, whether we like it or not, are a good side this year. They've not lost a league game yet. If you and others want to wet your pants because we drew then fine, have fun with that. Failing to over-react isn't licking any part of Wenger.

selassie
08-11-2016, 11:42 AM

It's not so much panic but more a case of applying logic to seeing the same patterns repeated season after season. I can't claim to know for certain if we are going to win the league or not but I can base my prediction off past performances.

It is also very debateable to whether this team IS in fact any better than the team of last season or previous teams, it's different, but claiming it is better off the back of a good run albeit against teams we have been EXPECTED to beat is extremely debateable.

Sunday was typical, we had a chance to go top and we didn't, it was classic Arsenal...a little bit of pressure and out come the handbrakes! We all knew we wouldn't win on Sunday, we all know that a Mourinho lead Man United will beat us after the international break, it's all very predictable and boring.

Kano
08-11-2016, 11:49 AM
I don't know a Maureen led Utd will beat us at all. Nor did I think that before kick off Sunday. I knew it would be tough because of th type of team Spuds are now. He's past his peak and massively underperforming with that team, doing even worse than Van Fraud. The same was being said about Chelsea before we spanked them. It's very easy to look back in hindsight and say 'yes but they were rubbish or not the same team as now'. The point being, even when they were underperforming the thinking was we would struggle against them because we always do. It's the same reasoning being applied to the Utd game.

All I'm doing is taking it game by game and enjoying the good stuff. If we fail? So what. It's just football and back again we start next season. If people want to ignore patterns or hope for the best or have a different opinion, again, so what? Nothing apart from hope on a short term basis is lost. Those that go to games have a bigger decision to make because of their literal investment.

selassie
08-11-2016, 12:04 PM
I don't know a Maureen led Utd will beat us at all. Nor did I think that before kick off Sunday. I knew it would be tough because of th type of team Spuds are now. He's past his peak and massively underperforming with that team, doing even worse than Van Fraud. The same was being said about Chelsea before we spanked them. It's very easy to look back in hindsight and say 'yes but they were rubbish or not the same team as now'. The point being, even when they were underperforming the thinking was we would struggle against them because we always do. It's the same reasoning being applied to the Utd game.

All I'm doing is taking it game by game and enjoying the good stuff. If we fail? So what. It's just football and back again we start next season. If people want to ignore patterns or hope for the best or have a different opinion, again, so what? Nothing apart from hope on a short term basis is lost. Those that go to games have a bigger decision to make because of their literal investment.

Always the voice of reason Kano ;)

I hear you and I'll admit that I have enjoyed a lot of our football so far this season too, it's been positive and exciting. The performances over the past few weeks have been a cause for concern though, even the CL comeback game, we were a mess defensively.

I dunno...I just see us slipping back into bad old habits, Midfield for instance is a bit of a mess without Santi...we just look disjointed again.

I agree people are free to post whatever they want and whilst some of us will choose to bring up problems of the past, others will choose to ignore them.

Özil's Panoramic View
08-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Once again Letters is on point.

You'll be telling us the same thing again next season, like you've been for past seasons now.

Unreal that you trot out the same silly lines every season during our mini runs, and utterly ironic that you're always quick to ridicule those who can identify the indicators that nothing has changed, and won't ever, under the stewardship your Lord and Master.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
It's not so much panic but more a case of applying logic to seeing the same patterns repeated season after season. I can't claim to know for certain if we are going to win the league or not but I can base my prediction off past performances.

It is also very debateable to whether this team IS in fact any better than the team of last season or previous teams, it's different, but claiming it is better off the back of a good run albeit against teams we have been EXPECTED to beat is extremely debateable.

Sunday was typical, we had a chance to go top and we didn't, it was classic Arsenal...a little bit of pressure and out come the handbrakes! We all knew we wouldn't win on Sunday, we all know that a Mourinho lead Man United will beat us after the international break, it's all very predictable and boring.

We’ve had so many yo yo moments with our form in the past, I’m beyond trying to sense predict where we’ll end up this year. But when it comes to recognising patterns, besides looking at isolated results, I can’t say I recognise anything significant that has set the alarm bells off. I mean in terms of Wenger being Wenger. If he’d have gone into that game with Giroud and Ramsey starting, I’d worry. Results will fluctuate throughout the season and we don’t have to beat our rivals to win the league. The real shift I want to see is in Wenger’s thinking and approach.

Has he adjusted and is he trying something new? So far, he’s kept Giroud and Ramsey at bay and he has spent money in the summer, and I’d say he’s overspent on Xhaka and Mustafi and we didn’t need Perez if he had decided on Sanchez playing as striker. That’s a shift in team selection and transfer policy. That’s a good sign in my book but that doesn’t vindicate Wenger. I’m still watching closely, but so far so good. That’s all he can do at the moment. I’m not expecting a complete tactical overhaul, but I hope the players step their game up and if they can’t, Wenger reacts to it.

I really have no idea if this team is better than last year’s but it’s safe to say the competition is a lot better. Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs are showing good form and we can’t forget about Utd either. Time will tell. The draw against Spurs hasn’t really changed my view on the team overall.

selassie
08-11-2016, 01:41 PM
We’ve had so many yo yo moments with our form in the past, I’m beyond trying to sense predict where we’ll end up this year. But when it comes to recognising patterns, besides looking at isolated results, I can’t say I recognise anything significant that has set the alarm bells off. I mean in terms of Wenger being Wenger. If he’d have gone into that game with Giroud and Ramsey starting, I’d worry. Results will fluctuate throughout the season and we don’t have to beat our rivals to win the league. The real shift I want to see is in Wenger’s thinking and approach.

Has he adjusted and is he trying something new? So far, he’s kept Giroud and Ramsey at bay and he has spent money in the summer, and I’d say he’s overspent on Xhaka and Mustafi and we didn’t need Perez if he had decided on Sanchez playing as striker. That’s a shift in team selection and transfer policy. That’s a good sign in my book but that doesn’t vindicate Wenger. I’m still watching closely, but so far so good. That’s all he can do at the moment. I’m not expecting a complete tactical overhaul, but I hope the players step their game up and if they can’t, Wenger reacts to it.

I really have no idea if this team is better than last year’s but it’s safe to say the competition is a lot better. Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs are showing good form and we can’t forget about Utd either. Time will tell. The draw against Spurs hasn’t really changed my view on the team overall.

Fair play P'nG, can't argue with any of that. The Man Utd game away is a big test, if we can come out of that undefeated then it's fair to say some progress is being made. I'd actually take a point now from that game if offered it.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 01:50 PM
Fair play P'nG, can't argue with any of that. The Man Utd game away is a big test, if we can come out of that undefeated then it's fair to say some progress is being made. I'd actually take a point now from that game if offered it.

Forget the test. That game is about pride. Wenger has to finally beat Mourinho. He has to. It's been too long and would love it even more if we could really crush them.

Letters
08-11-2016, 01:58 PM
The draw against Spurs hasn’t really changed my view on the team overall.
I don't think a win would have changed anyone's either, and the usual suspects would have just waited for their next opportunity for a whine.
And maybe they're right, chances are they probably are. Personally I'd rather just enjoy how things are going which, so far, is quite well thanks.
While we're in the title mix I'm fairly content. Even if we'd won and gone top there would still be a suspicion we'll fluff our lines later.

If a new manager had come in and got the results we've got so far this season I don't believe they'd be getting stick for it.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't think a win would have changed anyone's either, and the usual suspects would have just waited for their next opportunity for a whine.
And maybe they're right, chances are they probably are. Personally I'd rather just enjoy how things are going which, so far, is quite well thanks.
While we're in the title mix I'm fairly content. Even if we'd won and gone top there would still be a suspicion we'll fluff our lines later.

If a new manager had come in and got the results we've got so far this season I don't believe they'd be getting stick for it.

Our results haven't been bad at all. The derby was disappointing but I didn't really expect a massive reaction on here. Well, there hasn't really been a massive reaction in numbers. But I do get the sense that people are waiting on the next bad result to go ape. We're going to lose and drop points this season. But as said in my previous post, I'm looking more at what Wenger does and how he reacts.

Kano
08-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Always the voice of reason Kano ;)

I hear you and I'll admit that I have enjoyed a lot of our football so far this season too, it's been positive and exciting. The performances over the past few weeks have been a cause for concern though, even the CL comeback game, we were a mess defensively.

I dunno...I just see us slipping back into bad old habits, Midfield for instance is a bit of a mess without Santi...we just look disjointed again.

I agree people are free to post whatever they want and whilst some of us will choose to bring up problems of the past, others will choose to ignore them.

Just old age mate.

I see the defensive issues, some of the performances haven't been great but I also can't be arsed to over analyse anymore. There's too much of that and now every misplaced pass, shot or bad tackle is jumped upon too quickly. If I was paying to go to games as I did for a long time at Highbury, maybe I'd see it differently, I don't know. If it goes tits up again I'll be disappointed but not overly surprised as that was the prediction at the start of the season anyway. While we have our problems, so do all the teams around us, there isn't a stand out team, no matter how the shitty pundits try to spin it. It won't be a 5 horse race to the finish line as they always sell it in the early stages of the season, one or two will drop off after Xmas and the gaps will develop. I don't think it will be us scrapping for 4/5th and we'll be in the pack above and if the team surprises me and does better than that, then I'll be a happy fella.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-11-2016, 03:32 PM
I can see it from both sides, we are in the Mix, but i also think we have had far easier fixtures than Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool who are above us.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me that we are going to challenge for the title until the end of the season.

On the other hand for anything to be basing that belief on one result does seem somewhat kneejerk, i was unconvinced before the Spurs game i am no more convinced after it but no less convinced either, and i wouldn't be much more convinced had we sneaked a win.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 03:42 PM
I can see it from both sides, we are in the Mix, but i also think we have had far easier fixtures than Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool who are above us.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me that we are going to challenge for the title until the end of the season.

On the other hand for anything to be basing that belief on one result does seem somewhat kneejerk, i was unconvinced before the Spurs game i am no more convinced after it but no less convinced either, and i wouldn't be much more convinced had we sneaked a win.

What game or what run of games would convince you?

Letters
08-11-2016, 03:54 PM

And can I add to that, HCZ, have you seen anything which makes you think we can't?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-11-2016, 03:58 PM

I would say getting something from one or both of the Manchester games (at the very least not losing both of them) and winning tougher away games like West Ham and Everton in December

Finishing top of our champions league group

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-11-2016, 04:01 PM
And can I add to that, HCZ, have you seen anything which makes you think we can't?

I think there are times where we have struggled to break teams who sit deep down - Burnley, Middlesbrough etc

Been sloppy defensively

None of this is evidence that we "can't win" but it certainly doesn't give me much belief that we can.

Letters
08-11-2016, 04:04 PM

I think that's fair enough.

For me while we're in the mix I feel we have a chance.

LDG
08-11-2016, 04:20 PM

I think that's fair enough.

For me while we're in the mix I feel we have a chance.

Ever the optimist you are.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but until we actually do it, I will assume complete meltdown at some point which see's us throw it all away.

Letters
08-11-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty worried about our run in - think it's Spurs away and City at home in our last 4 games.
That's what I think could do for us. But I do think we've got the best squad we've had for a long time this year.

Goonermerree
08-11-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty worried about our run in - think it's Spurs away and City at home in our last 4 games.
That's what I think could do for us. But I do think we've got the best squad we've had for a long time this year.

I used to have your optimism, but it's been knocked out of me.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 04:44 PM
I would say getting something from one or both of the Manchester games (at the very least not losing both of them) and winning tougher away games like West Ham and Everton in December

Finishing top of our champions league group

Last season we had a brief spell where we beat Utd and Bayern in close succession, we didn’t lose to City last season and beat them at home, we beat Everton away…..For me, there isn’t a single game or run that can convince me that we’ll win the league. That’s not saying I don’t hope we’ll win. It’s just all very slippery because we could easily look the business around Christmas, beat the big teams and fall away in January. There isn’t a bench mark game you can point to with us that indicates we’ve finally clicked. Last season should have been an eye opener. Not saying we all have to remain pessimistic until the season is over but we’ve been around the block with this team so many times you just have to wait to see what happens at the end of the season. It doesn’t matter who we beat this month, next month or whenever if we’re not at the top of the table after 38 games.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Last season we had a brief spell where we beat Utd and Bayern in close succession, we didn’t lose to City last season and beat them at home, we beat Everton away…..For me, there isn’t a single game or run that can convince me that we’ll win the league. That’s not saying I don’t hope we’ll win. It’s just all very slippery because we could easily look the business around Christmas, beat the big teams and fall away in January. There isn’t a bench mark game you can point to with us that indicates we’ve finally clicked. Last season should have been an eye opener. Not saying we all have to remain pessimistic until the season is over but we’ve been around the block with this team so many times you just have to wait to see what happens at the end of the season. It doesn’t matter who we beat this month, next month or whenever if we’re not at the top of the table after 38 games.

It's the run of games between now and the end of the year - Utd (a), Bournemouth (h), West Ham (a), Stoke (h), Everton (a), Man City (a), West Brom (h), Crystal Palace (h)

I think we need to be looking to get 19 out of 24 points from those games, so that would include for me winning at West Ham and Everton and getting something from one of the Manchester games.

It's about being able to grind out results when playing tougher opposition and still be in contention when we have played two of our more difficult fixtures.

Don't get me wrong i won't immediately think we will win the title if we do get those points, but it puts us in contention with 43 points from 19 games...considering with the exception of Leicester teams have needed 85+ points for the title the last few years it is a minimum goal.

Niall_Quinn
08-11-2016, 05:04 PM

It's not one game or a run of games. It's the manner of the performances. We've played, what, two, three decent games this season so far? The rest has been dire. Yes, we picked up points but if we expect to keep doing that on the back of the awful defending, the plodding midfield and the wastefulness in front of goal we're dreaming. The other factor is, as always, pressure. You'd back us all day long to fuck up every time we get that opportunity to bat a bit of pressure back on our opponents. When you think how many times our major rivals have had to rebuild through periods of new management and you compare it to the so-called stability we have here it's a fucking joke. Wenger is taking the piss. Again, we have Utd, the gypos and the chavs all working through a management change. We see Klopp (the manager that we should have now) starting to add a bit of consistency to what was a shower of shite. This should be another glorious chance for us but we won't take it. People might be saying, yeah let's wait and see (AGAIN!) but nobody is saying right, I feel confident, let's do this. And that's all down to one guy.

Power n Glory
08-11-2016, 05:23 PM
It's the run of games between now and the end of the year - Utd (a), Bournemouth (h), West Ham (a), Stoke (h), Everton (a), Man City (a), West Brom (h), Crystal Palace (h)

I think we need to be looking to get 19 out of 24 points from those games, so that would include for me winning at West Ham and Everton and getting something from one of the Manchester games.

It's about being able to grind out results when playing tougher opposition and still be in contention when we have played two of our more difficult fixtures.

Don't get me wrong i won't immediately think we will win the title if we do get those points, but it puts us in contention with 43 points from 19 games...considering with the exception of Leicester teams have needed 85+ points for the title the last few years it is a minimum goal.

But what's so special about December? Would you be surprised if we won those games but went on to lose it in Spring? Around March/April we have a tough run of games and it's not as if we haven't fell apart towards the end either. I mean in our last 4 games we have Spurs away, Utd home, Stoke away and Everton home. We could just as easily be on the race but fall away at the last hurdle.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-11-2016, 05:28 PM
But what's so special about December? Would you be surprised if we won those games but went on to lose it in Spring? Around March/April we have a tough run of games and it's not as if we haven't fell apart towards the end either. I mean in our last 4 games we have Spurs away, Utd home, Stoke away and Everton home. We could just as easily be on the race but fall away at the last hurdle.

Again i am not trying to claim it's definitive, what i'm saying is that i will be more convinced that we can challenge if we get the 19 points out of 24 during that november/december period.

It won't mean that we won't screw things up in february/march/april.....but as i've said those are a tough run of fixtures and our ability to make it through that potential minefield unscathed would suggest that we do have a stronger mentality.

After that, the next test would be our ability to win games and not going through the death spiral when the champions league begins again in February. But keeping ourselves in the mix during a tough run of fixtures and you'd have to say there is potential.

Chippy
09-11-2016, 09:05 PM
Same as last year

Wenker out

Shit all over
Lol. Blud! Blud! This guy is crazy :)
http://youtu.be/3ZMD8O4_3SQ

Kano
09-11-2016, 09:43 PM
https://youtu.be/cUrzUFdTh9g
Lol. Blud! Blud! This guy is crazy :)
http://youtu.be/3ZMD8O4_3SQ

Wenger :bow:

GP
09-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Troopz (??) is a fucking dickhead. I hope his family gets killed. Fucking nonce.