PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Serge for 5mil

Dicks and chicks
12-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Does anyone else think this was a stupid decision to make. I mean 5mil for a 19 year old german international is a very low sum in todays market. It feels as if werder robbbed us. I hope there is a buy back clause.

Penguin
12-11-2016, 07:50 AM
It is very low but he was running into his last year on his contract so it was either £5m then and there or nothing a year later. So no, it wasn't a stupid decision (financially).

There's obviously an argument we should have done more to make him stay, namely by giving him games. Every week Ox flops it does make you wonder. If it wasn't for the homegrown rules I think we might have done more to hold on to Gnabry.

Personally I don't feel like it's much of a loss. I know a lot of people rate him here but I don't really see what's so special about him. He'll become a good player but I doubt he'll be a £40m signing for Real/Barca.

Power n Glory
12-11-2016, 08:48 AM
We'll never know what could have been. I think Wenger has lost his touch anyway. It may have been for the best for Serge to leave and develop elsewhere.

Marc Overmars
12-11-2016, 09:58 AM
I thought he could have been a useful player for us, but time will tell on whether it was the right decision to let him go.

A hatty against San Marino certainly isn't an indicator of anything.

Gooner23
12-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Wasn't he out injured for ages anyway? I'm sure he would have been given more game time if he'd been patient. Sending him to Tony Pulis on loan was a bad decison though.

GP
12-11-2016, 10:17 AM
He was out of contract and wanted to leave. What can you do?

The Emirates Gallactico
12-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Hopefully given the price we sold him for, we were sensible enough to put in a buyback clause. We put one in for Vela so I don't see us not doing it for Gnabry.

Niall_Quinn
12-11-2016, 11:55 AM
We'll never know what could have been. I think Wenger has lost his touch anyway. It may have been for the best for Serge to leave and develop elsewhere.

Agreed. Wenger mainly holds players back these days. There's nothing to say that if Gnabry had stayed here he'd be even playing, let alone banging goals in. Gnabry was a casualty of the Bif era.

Kano
12-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Of course not. We were going to give him another contract but he wanted to leave. Simple as that.

mastermind84
18-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Wasn't he out injured for ages anyway? I'm sure he would have been given more game time if he'd been patient. Sending him to Tony Pulis on loan was a bad decison though.
When fans get mad about stuff like the Gnabry situation, we tend to gloss over facts like he tore his ACL at a critical time in his development.

Still, I liked him when he debuted as I saw he had the intelligence needed to play Wengerball. Something Oxlade has never shown. He also has the technique to play it as well, which is something Theo has never shown.

I always felt the club should have kept him but it seems like he didn't want to stay.

Penguin
20-11-2016, 02:17 PM
He always did do the simple things right which players like Ox, Theo, Ramsey and Wilshere don't do. Sometimes he played it too safe though and didn't have that little bit of guile or skill to create something the way the best wingers are capable of. Neither do the four I mentioned apart from Jack (occasionally) so maybe we should have done more to keep him around.

But we should be aiming higher anyway so it's not a big loss.

Chippy
20-11-2016, 06:52 PM
He always did do the simple things right which players like Ox, Theo, Ramsey and Wilshere don't do. Sometimes he played it too safe though and didn't have that little bit of guile or skill to create something the way the best wingers are capable of. Neither do the four I mentioned apart from Jack (occasionally) so maybe we should have done more to keep him around.

But we should be aiming higher anyway so it's not a big loss.

We should have loaned Jack out for three months then got him back. Funny how he has stayed fit away from Arsenal? Unreal.

Goonermerree
20-11-2016, 07:04 PM
We should have loaned Jack out for three months then got him back. Funny how he has stayed fit away from Arsenal? Unreal.

Very annoying.

Dicks and chicks
26-11-2016, 06:35 AM

Was serge's fault for staying fit and not getting injured. He was asking to be sold tbh

Dicks and chicks
01-02-2017, 07:13 PM
7 in 15 for weder Bremen in the league this season. Looks the real deal I still think we should a sold Ramsey and kept him

fakeyank
01-02-2017, 07:22 PM
7 in 15 for weder Bremen in the league this season. Looks the real deal I still think we should a sold Ramsey and kept him

No, we should have paid 5 million to someone so that they couldve taken Ramsey. No one in their right mind will pay for that fool. Gnabry is a real miss though. :(

Dicks and chicks
01-02-2017, 07:40 PM
No, we should have paid 5 million to someone so that they couldve taken Ramsey. No one in their right mind will pay for that fool. Gnabry is a real miss though. :(

If Serge played and hit a run of form he woulda been dropped though either way he wasn't gonna make it. Selling a 20 year old German international for 5 million in an era when Patrick van anholt went for 14 mil is simply criminal in my opinion

fakeyank
01-02-2017, 07:56 PM
If Serge played and hit a run of form he woulda been dropped though either way he wasn't gonna make it. Selling a 20 year old German international for 5 million in an era when Patrick van anholt went for 14 mil is simply criminal in my opinion

He is not the only one though. Think about Campbell. He did not do much wrong to be sent back on loan.. when you compare him to the pile of poo that is Ramsey, then you understand that Wenger hasnt got a clue.

Xhaka Can’t
02-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Harsh.

On poo.

Dicks and chicks
17-02-2017, 11:48 PM
https://youtu.be/8BuloKDTDBo

GP
17-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Is he your fucking boyfriend or something?

Niall_Quinn
17-02-2017, 11:54 PM
His face didn't fit, like Campbell and now Peres.

Looks like he's turning into a great all-rounder. Shame.

Dicks and chicks
18-02-2017, 02:38 AM
His face didn't fit, like Campbell and now Peres.

Looks like he's turning into a great all-rounder. Shame.

It's sickening we kept Ramsey and sold him

Dicks and chicks
18-02-2017, 02:38 AM
Is he your fucking boyfriend or something?

Well he's clearly not yours

Dicks and chicks
11-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Scored again for weder.

GP
11-04-2017, 03:47 PM
No one gives a shit.

AFC Leveller
11-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Campbell was the one player performed well for us and worked so hard in every game but was not given a fair chance.

Gnabrys loan spell at West Bromwich was a disaster and he was sold for a lot less than he's worth. Better than Walcott.

Dicks and chicks
13-04-2017, 01:37 PM
No one gives a shit.
20 goals in 33 appearances this season

mastermind84
13-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Campbell was the one player performed well for us and worked so hard in every game but was not given a fair chance.

Gnabrys loan spell at West Bromwich was a disaster and he was sold for a lot less than he's worth. Better than Walcott.
Joel Campbell is a sometimes starter for Sporting Lisbon. He isnt that good.

GP
13-04-2017, 02:03 PM
20 goals in 33 appearances this season

No he hasn't and also no one gives a shit.

Dicks and chicks
02-10-2019, 06:15 AM
Is this thread worth a bump or no

Marc Overmars
02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
Wenger. :lol:

It was a shame he lost his touch at developing young players towards the end. That was the one thing you could always count on him to do well.

Letters
02-10-2019, 09:30 AM
20:20 hindsight :bow:

GP
02-10-2019, 10:07 AM

No.

He wanted to leave, refused a new contract.

End.

21_GOONER_SALUTE
02-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Yup, definitely worth a bump.

Evidence that blind trust in coaches never pays.