PDA

View Full Version : Winter Transfer Window - Cold and Lonely.

McNamara That Ghost...
25-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Draxler is going to PSG for £35 million. Seems like a bit of a shit move really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38427006

Oscar is retiring and going to China.

I don't expect us to be buying anybody but this thread is tradition.

:dance:

Dicks and chicks
25-12-2016, 02:35 PM
It's crap because strength in depth wise we are there I think draxler is the only player we would have signed in January.

milla
26-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Bring back Gnabry, he is having a stellar season in Bremen. He has 7 goals in 15 games so far, would solve our left AM/WF role. :coffee:

Maestro
26-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Bring back Gnabry, he is having a stellar season in Bremen. He has 7 goals in 15 games so far, would solve our left AM/WF role. :coffee:

Never understood that one, or inability to strengthen in the wide forward role. After moving Sanchez upfront we have nothing out wide in terms of real quality.

milla
26-12-2016, 05:03 PM
Never understood that one, or inability to strengthen in the wide forward role. After moving Sanchez upfront we have nothing out wide in terms of real quality.

Cos Wumger is stupid and he loves his brits pet project. :coffee:

dostoy
26-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I think we need a left back now or in the summer as Nacho has lost a yard of pace and Gibbs is more of a left winger than a full back.

We shall have to see who is available for that or any outfield position.

Dicks and chicks
26-12-2016, 11:17 PM

The issue was we never gave him a chance when his competition wasn't even performing well. Reminds me of the Bendter Carlos Vela situation.

selassie
27-12-2016, 03:36 PM
It's crap because strength in depth wise we are there I think draxler is the only player we would have signed in January.

Depth wise we are there with a competent manager. We could have a squad full of world class players and we still wouldn't win the league with Wenger in charge, forget it...we stand no chance of winning titles until he's gone.

fakeyank
27-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Probably have the best squad in the PL. I wouldnt mind adding a pacy winger though. However, no player can help this team... we will only have a possibility to move forward if the dinosaur moves out.

Power n Glory
27-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Depth wise we are there with a competent manager. We could have a squad full of world class players and we still wouldn't win the league with Wenger in charge, forget it...we stand no chance of winning titles until he's gone.

If his solution is to revert back to a system that couldn't capitalise on the league title last year when Leicester City won, we have no chance this season. Going back to Giroud again...:doh: regardless of who we play and even now that we have Xhaka along with Ozil and Sanchez, Wenger still hasn't grasped the fact that Giroud's at his best when the getsun crossed in.

selassie
27-12-2016, 06:14 PM
If his solution is to revert back to a system that couldn't capitalise on the league title last year when Leicester City won, we have no chance this season. Going back to Giroud again...:doh: regardless of who we play and even now that we have Xhaka along with Ozil and Sanchez, Wenger still hasn't grasped the fact that Giroud's at his best when the getsun crossed in.

I know, he won't change though, it's too late for that.

I stand by what I said the other week, we're going to be in a real battle with the Spuds & Man United for a top 4 finish, it's not going to be easy.

fakeyank
27-12-2016, 07:32 PM

I stand by what I said the other week, we're going to be in a real battle with the Spuds & Man United for a top 4 finish, it's not going to be easy.

I hope we dont get 4th place. The board needs a change in the status quo for that dinosaur to get sacked. I dont want 4th place finishes and the same BS every season.

selassie
27-12-2016, 08:40 PM
I hope we dont get 4th place. The board needs a change in the status quo for that dinosaur to get sacked. I dont want 4th place finishes and the same BS every season.

Yep, I would happily take a season out of Europe if it meant Wenger was gone. I actually think we may properly challenge for the title with a new man in charge and no european football distractions.

Power n Glory
27-12-2016, 08:52 PM

I actually had hope that he was coming to his senses. But going back to Giroud but playing the same tactics...it makes no sense. Hoping it's just a one off.

milla
27-12-2016, 08:57 PM
The issue was we never gave him a chance when his competition wasn't even performing well. Reminds me of the Bendter Carlos Vela situation.

It is Wumger's fault, still he will come back if we make him the right offer.

Bundesliga has a lot of emerging young strikers, Timo Werner, Ousmane Dembele etc.. I wonder how long would it take before the PL clubs notice them. :coffee:

milla
27-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I hope we dont get 4th place. The board needs a change in the status quo for that dinosaur to get sacked. I don't want 4th place finishes and the same BS every season.

If he can't win the league with the current team, he will never win the league again IMO. We have a very strong 25 man team, but the manager is clueless and refuse to get the best out of his players. He is too stubborn with the way he wants his team to play, disregarding the talents and diversity of the players that he has within the team. :coffee:

AFC Leveller
28-12-2016, 08:55 AM
If he can't win the league with the current team, he will never win the league again IMO. We have a very strong 25 man team, but the manager is clueless and refuse to get the best out of his players. He is too stubborn with the way he wants his team to play, disregarding the talents and diversity of the players that he has within the team. :coffee:

Agree.

He can only get about 60 percent of this team where as a proper manager would get 100 percent and win the title with this lot. Our first 11 is as good as any other in the league and the back ups are more than competent.

Goonermerree
28-12-2016, 10:49 AM
I think we will need to address the LB position very soon if not now.

Munchies
28-12-2016, 08:30 PM
John Cross (I know) today said we're not going to do any business in Jan

Marc Overmars
28-12-2016, 08:36 PM
Not arsed, Wenger won't be able to galvanise the squad regardless of the money spent.

Xhaka Can’t
28-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Wenger has finally gotten what he wanted. Nobody can be bothered about him going into the market.

Niall_Quinn
28-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Pretty much.

The window will come and go without me paying much attention. Perhaps we'll sign a kid from the French lower leagues for £50K. One for the future that's on rails.

Gooner23
29-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Not arsed, Wenger won't be able to galvanise the squad regardless of the money spent.

Agreed. Couldn't give a shit anymore.

Marc Overmars
29-12-2016, 08:24 AM
Liverpool are after Oxlade.

Interesting.

Goonermerree
29-12-2016, 10:23 AM
I used to look forward to transfer windows, I don't bother now.

Goonermerree
29-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Liverpool are after Oxlade.

Interesting.

When Ox went off v City one of the commentators said that he was probably leaving in the Jan window, don't know how he knew anything, but he seemed sure of it.

selassie
29-12-2016, 11:16 AM
When Ox went off v City one of the commentators said that he was probably leaving in the Jan window, don't know how he knew anything, but he seemed sure of it.

He has 18 months left on his contract and there has been no sign of us offering him an extension so there might be a lot of truth in this. Also...I read in various places we were open to offers for him in the summer.

I dunno..it seems like there could be quite a high turnover of players this summer, Ozil and Sanchez contracts are still unresolved and the likes of Gibbs, Wilshere and OX have 18months or less on their contracts....going to be interesting to see what we do.

Power n Glory
29-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Would be interesting to see if Klopp could get anything more out of him. It should all be clicking for Ox. Has the tools to be so much more than what he currently is but he never delivers.

Goonermerree
29-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Would be interesting to see if Klopp could get anything more out of him. It should all be clicking for Ox. Has the tools to be so much more than what he currently is but he never delivers.

That seems to have happened to a lot of our players, Theo included.

Power n Glory
29-12-2016, 12:37 PM
That seems to have happened to a lot of our players, Theo included.

Theo, Jack, Ramsey, Gibbs....many others. We haven't done a good. We've dedicated over a decade to youth development and have very little show for it.

Shaqiri Is Boss
29-12-2016, 12:57 PM
I'm not quite sure why we'd want him, why he'd want to come and why you would let him leave.

Can't see it tbh.

Goonermerree
29-12-2016, 01:13 PM
I'm not quite sure why we'd want him, why he'd want to come and why you would let him leave.

Can't see it tbh.

He might want to go somewhere else to see if he can develop more. Liverpool are in good form right now, can't see why he wouldn't want to go to you. Question is, could you use a fit Ox playing to his potential?

Goonermerree
29-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Theo, Jack, Ramsey, Gibbs....many others. We haven't done a good. We've dedicated over a decade to youth development and have very little show for it.

I'd include Clichy in that, he seemed to be doing all right, then went right down and he is still playing for City under Pep.

Power n Glory
29-12-2016, 02:45 PM
I'd include Clichy in that, he seemed to be doing all right, then went right down and he is still playing for City under Pep.

Yeah, Clichy is another one. It's the same pattern, they start off bright for the first season or so and then pick up bad habits and it's downhill from there.

Even unpopular players like Denilson, Djourou and Senderos. All three looked amazing in their first seasons. Senderos filling in for an injured Sol Campbell helped us win the FA Cup and kept Sol out the 2005 final. He went downhill after that.

Denilson's debut season was totally different to the rest he played. He wasn't lazy when he first arrived and I recall him working hard and putting in strong challenges but that totally disappeared from his game. Wayne Rooney ghosting right through him as he jogs casually back to our box is something I won't forget. He was a disgrace.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Ha poor Senderos, he never got over the post traumatic stress of getting bummed by Didier Drogba in the 2005 community shield.

Some players work the opposite way, Hleb his best season was his last one with us, same with Nasri.

AFC Leveller
30-12-2016, 01:35 PM
I think young players want to impress when they first join but then they see the culture isn't as demanding as they thought and they follow the same pattern of doing just enough while getting loadsa money.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
30-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Poor little Morgan Schneiderlin ...... you lot hailed him as the second coming on here....can't get a game or a club.

Power n Glory
31-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Never thought he was a priority but we bought Xhaka.

Thierrymon
31-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Only position I can see us strengthening would be left back.

Xhaka Can’t
31-12-2016, 12:28 PM
The only position we need to strengthen is the Manager.

Dicks and chicks
31-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Arsene says no to links with Frank kessai and I'm glad to be honest 36 million for someone who's had half a good season

Gooner23
31-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Who?

Niall_Quinn
31-12-2016, 05:08 PM
We always know who we aren't going to buy.

We need 3-4 new players to compete. FB, CM, AM, ST. We'll get none.

But most desperately we need a new manager. We won't get that either. This club is a total bust. We'll never win anything until the board and the manager die of old age.

fakeyank
31-12-2016, 06:23 PM
The only position we need to strengthen is the Manager.

:gp:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 01:37 PM
We always know who we aren't going to buy.

We need 3-4 new players to compete. FB, CM, AM, ST. We'll get none.

But most desperately we need a new manager. We won't get that either. This club is a total bust. We'll never win anything until the board and the manager die of old age.

The long game huh....

Do you seriously think we need that many players?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Squad wise we don't have massive gaping holes, I do think we need a better left back than Monreal but I'd be content with seeing Gibbs get more game time provided he stays fit, I think we probably could do with decent back up for Bellerin as Jenkinson is useless and although Gabriel has done ok at right full back its not a natural position for him.

Up front yeah we still don't have the world class striker but who is avaliable, we could do with more options wide as well but again I don't think there is anything we can do in January that will overhaul the nine point deficit.

I'm just hoping that Wenger calls it quits and a new manager is the one that brings in our next lot of players.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Left back fair enough...... right back.... play Debuchy when fit, Chambers or Maitland-Niles conservative there who has really impressed me in that position.

If a serious upgrade in a wide position is attainable then do it.....otherwise we have too many wide players. Theo, Ox, Iwobi, Campbell, Lucas as it seems the manager will play him there at least half the time and occasionally Welbeck

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Left back fair enough...... right back.... play Debuchy when fit, Chambers or Maitland-Niles conservative there who has really impressed me in that position.

If a serious upgrade in a wide position is attainable then do it.....otherwise we have too many wide players. Theo, Ox, Iwobi, Campbell, Lucas as it seems the manager will play him there at least half the time and occasionally Welbeck

I don't think of any of them are good enough at RB for us.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 02:07 PM
They'd be back ups.....we have a first choice right back who plays most the games. How good are you expecting a reserve right back to be if you don't think Debuchy a French international is good enough?

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Debuchy looked good until that first injury, not the same since. Granted, he hasn't played much.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-01-2017, 02:55 PM
They'd be back ups.....we have a first choice right back who plays most the games. How good are you expecting a reserve right back to be if you don't think Debuchy a French international is good enough?

Injury prone and doesn't want to play for us anymore, I'd be happy signing a promising youngster but Bellerin has already been injured once and Jenkinson was a total disaster for us.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 06:40 PM
In any case, I think we should pick him when fit, Maitland-Niles or Chambers....in that order until such time when Debuchy has departed.

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Chambers plays for boro at the moment anyway.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 06:44 PM
OMG!!! Haha, I mean Holding :doh:

I like him so any excuse to develop him and get him in the team is good.

Marc Overmars
04-01-2017, 11:36 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10717289/arsenal-to-sign-hednesford-defender-cohen-bramall-sky-sources

The new Jenkinson :bow:

GP
04-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Cohen Bramall sounds like an old timey boxer.

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2017, 11:50 PM
The long game huh....

Do you seriously think we need that many players?

I do. I mean do we want to be challenging for the CL or not? This is a big club and we shouldn't be sitting here shitting ourselves over drawing Marketing or Bayern in the CL. We should be in with a shout of actually beating those teams and progressing to a final again. When you look at the quality we used to have and compare to the genuine world class players on the books now, I'd say we are 3-4 players short.

Soon to be 5-6 players short of the increasing rumours have any substance.

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2017, 11:52 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/10717289/arsenal-to-sign-hednesford-defender-cohen-bramall-sky-sources

The new Jenkinson :bow:

I wasn't too far off in my prediction. I said 50k for some unknown kid. But trust Wenger, he found a bargain.

That's our business done early then.

Goonermerree
05-01-2017, 06:37 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...ll-sky-sources

That's the LB position covered then.

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2017, 07:41 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...ll-sky-sources

That's the LB position covered then.

Says, Sorry we could not find the page you are looking for!

Same page we always get during the transfer window.

Goonermerree
05-01-2017, 07:47 PM
I don't know why it's doing that, try the other link that one works. The Marc Overmars one.

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2017, 07:53 PM
I don't know why it's doing that, try the other link that one works. The Marc Overmars one.

Too much effort just to find out we aren't signing anyone.

Goonermerree
05-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Well we have signed someone!!!

Niall_Quinn
05-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Well we have signed someone!!!

We've signed a nobody. That's not somebody.

Gooner23
07-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Good article on the BBC about the new lad, amazing story really. Going from non league straight to Arsenal. Good luck to him!

Goonermerree
07-01-2017, 11:34 AM
I heard his previous manager talking on the radio and he said he is a talent. He can run 100m in 10.9 and has a great left foot. We'll see, we've had a few very talented players come to the club who have not lived up to their potential for whatever reason. I think he is 20 as well, so very young but not a kid.

Niall_Quinn
07-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Good article on the BBC about the new lad, amazing story really. Going from non league straight to Arsenal. Good luck to him!

Great story for the lad concerned. A total irrelevance in all other respects. It's nice that Wenger continues to build for the future, particularly in light of how he neglects the present.

Niall_Quinn
07-01-2017, 11:40 AM
I heard his previous manager talking on the radio and he said he is a talent. He can run 100m in 10.9 and has a great left foot. We'll see, we've had a few very talented players come to the club who have not lived up to their potential for whatever reason. I think he is 20 as well, so very young but not a kid.

He'll need at least that if he ever plays in our defence.

Niall_Quinn
08-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Draxler scores on his debut for PSG. Our player, scoring for PSG. Well done Wenger.

But I suppose we have that 20 year old (not 16, not 17, not even 19 but 20 year old) non-league player now, so we don't need Draxler.

Draxler, Alexis, Ozil and a 90million bid for Lewandowski. That would have done it. We'd win a title with that.

Instead we have Alexis (gone), Ozil (gone), Giroud and Theo fucking Walcott. Nice one Wenger. Football manager is such a fun game.

Globalgunner
08-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Draxler scores on his debut for PSG. Our player, scoring for PSG. Well done Wenger.

But I suppose we have that 20 year old (not 16, not 17, not even 19 but 20 year old) non-league player now, so we don't need Draxler.

Draxler, Alexis, Ozil and a 90million bid for Lewandowski. That would have done it. We'd win a title with that.

Instead we have Alexis (gone), Ozil (gone), Giroud and Theo fucking Walcott. Nice one Wenger. Football manager is such a fun game.

Welcome back Cripps. Youve been missed. Seriously.

GP
08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
:lol:

LDG
08-01-2017, 03:49 PM
:haha:

Goonermerree
08-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Why oh why did we not put a release clause in Wilshire's contract? With injuries and players on international duty, he would have given us another option in midfield.

Dicks and chicks
08-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Why oh why did we not put a release clause in Wilshire's contract? With injuries and players on international duty, he would have given us another option in midfield.

He woulda come back here and gotten killed

Marc Overmars
12-01-2017, 12:05 PM
Bilic has said Payet doesn't want to play for the club anymore and has refused to play.

What a cunt.

selassie
12-01-2017, 01:40 PM
Welcome back Cripps. Youve been missed. Seriously.

Özim
12-01-2017, 02:04 PM
Bilic has said Payet doesn't want to play for the club anymore and has refused to play.

What a cunt.

Yeah he's too big for the club now, that's the modern day footballer though, we've seen it many times before, it's nothing new.

If not for his age (29) I'd take him, he's a quality player, but I think he'll cost too much for a player who hasn't got that many years left at the top.

At his age though he needs to go to a bigger club where he might win something.

AFC Leveller
12-01-2017, 02:12 PM
I get it that he wants a move but refusing to play is just him being a cunt. How can the club pay him 125k a week while he says he doesnt want to play? absolute cunt.

Power n Glory
12-01-2017, 02:19 PM
It's pretty cuntish. Where is the class and gratitude?

Özim
12-01-2017, 02:31 PM
It's pretty cuntish. Where is the class and gratitude?

There isn't any, that's the beauty of the market now, players can walk away when they want, contracts mean nothing. But then on the same note clubs can get rid of players when they feel like it as well.

Do think players have too much power now though.

AFC Leveller
12-01-2017, 02:41 PM
As a player though id have him over Ozil. He is one of the best number 10s in Europe and chips in with good goals as well.

GP
12-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Payet?

Over Ozil?

Mad.

AFC Leveller
12-01-2017, 02:52 PM
Payet?

Over Ozil?

Mad.

I dont know about their stats but Payet is a really good player and would be perfect for us should Ozil decide to leave. Payet's freekicks alone would bring a whole new dimension to our game and as you saw at the Euros, he can do it int he big stage as well.

GP
12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Payet is a good player.

Ozil is genuine world class, though.

AFC Leveller
12-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Payet is a good player.

Ozil is genuine world class, though.

Payet is a bit of a late developer but he is as good as any other playmaker in the league.

selassie
12-01-2017, 04:44 PM
As a player though id have him over Ozil. He is one of the best number 10s in Europe and chips in with good goals as well.

He really isn't, he's had one standout season that is it. He was hyped as a youngster but never really fulfilled his potential or at least not on a consistent basis.

I admit he was genuinely world class last season but he's been pretty shite this season and his form dipped towards the latter stages of the Euros with France.

I believe what we are seeing with him now with his inconsistent form is the real Payet, his career has been like this to date.

Goonermerree
12-01-2017, 04:47 PM
I get it that he wants a move but refusing to play is just him being a cunt. How can the club pay him 125k a week while he says he doesnt want to play? absolute cunt.

Is that not grounds for dismissal without pay? Would be anywhere else.

Marc Overmars
13-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Jenkinson likely to be off to Palace. :wave:

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 11:46 AM

Was well worth his while coming here. A great signing all around. So I suppose we need to go an find a cheap replacement and start the worthwhile process all over again.

Marc Overmars
13-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Already replaced him with that kid who was playing Sunday League. Perfect.

Özim
13-01-2017, 01:00 PM

What a success he was, really explains why more PL clubs should sign young players from lower leagues with barely a game to their name.

We've got another one now, from non league this time. I think what it is is that Wenger tried to sign a former non league player the one season wonder Vardy and failed, so now he's decided to try and find his own Vardy.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 01:21 PM
Already replaced him with that kid who was playing Sunday League. Perfect.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It's looking good guys! If the new guy doesn't cut it then expect a call from Wenger. There's nowhere else for him to go.

LDG
13-01-2017, 01:48 PM
What a success he was, really explains why more PL clubs should sign young players from lower leagues with barely a game to their name.

We've got another one now, from non league this time. I think what it is is that Wenger tried to sign a former non league player the one season wonder Vardy and failed, so now he's decided to try and find his own Vardy.

Time to trawl back through the summer transfer thread an name and shame the people calling for Vardy's signature.

Why we went after him I'll never know.

Power n Glory
13-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Time to trawl back through the summer transfer thread an name and shame the people calling for Vardy's signature.

You know why. He was cheap and could also play on the wing. Seeing how Perez is being treated in our squad under Wenger, I suppose Vardy's people asked the right questions regarding playing time and where he'd play for us. It makes sense why he didn't sign for us.

It doesn't really make much of difference on Vardy though. We ended up wasting the money on Perez.

Goonermerree
13-01-2017, 01:54 PM

We dodged a bullet. He would be regretting not coming but for the fact that Leicester are still in the CL.

Goonermerree
13-01-2017, 01:55 PM
You know why. He was cheap and could also play on the wing. Seeing how Perez is being treated in our squad under Wenger, I suppose Vardy's people asked the right questions regarding playing time and where he'd play for us. It makes sense why he didn't sign for us.

It doesn't really make much of difference on Vardy though. We ended up wasting the money on Perez.

We really need to see him play more before we an judge him in my opinion.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Me. I wanted him here. But it would have been shameful, that's true. The idea was Wenger might knock this silly plan of his on the head and start playing proper football with wingers and strikers and centre forwards and even defenders. It's true, Vardy in the current system would be laughable. That's why he didn't come. I suppose the one decent thing Wenger has done is solve the problem by moving Alexis up front.

Right up until he moved Giroud back there. :doh:

LDG
13-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Me. I wanted him here.

Power n Glory
13-01-2017, 02:11 PM
We really need to see him play more before we an judge him in my opinion.

Yeah, that's not really a judgment on his talent. I think he's a decent player but we're not using him as a striker or even a starter.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 02:12 PM

You've taken that entirely out of context.

Gooner23
13-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's not really a judgment on his talent. I think he's a decent player but we're not using him as a striker or even a starter.

I think he merits a run in the side. His numbers are pretty decent given he's hardly had a look in.

Goonermerree
13-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Me. I wanted him here. But it would have been shameful, that's true. The idea was Wenger might knock this silly plan of his on the head and start playing proper football with wingers and strikers and centre forwards and even defenders. It's true, Vardy in the current system would be laughable. That's why he didn't come. I suppose the one decent thing Wenger has done is solve the problem by moving Alexis up front.

Giroud keeps scoring though.:unsure::shrug:

Power n Glory
13-01-2017, 02:15 PM

I told you. :console:

I hold a similar view on the Xhaka signing. It made no sense to buy him for this current system. But I guess if we'd have signed Vardy he'd have tried to shoehorn him in somehow.

Power n Glory
13-01-2017, 02:23 PM
I think he merits a run in the side. His numbers are pretty decent given he's hardly had a look in.

He does but I think his position has been set as a wide forward. As a striker he won’t get ahead of Giroud or Sanchez.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 02:26 PM
I told you. :console:

I hold a similar view on the Xhaka signing. It made no sense to buy him for this current system. But I guess if we'd have signed Vardy he'd have tried to shoehorn him in somehow.

Every opinion on Arsenal is a "what if". What if we were a normal team, then wouldn't it make sense to buy this guy or that guy? But if you then have to suggest who we should buy in terms of the system Wenger favours, it's just silly. We've conceded he won't spend what's necessary to get the very best, so the players you'd really want to see are off the table. In a way we've all become subject to his bargain bucket mentality. 9 pieces of meat for only ...! Yes, that piece of chopped liver could do a job. No, that off-cut isn't good enough, even by our standards.

Goonermerree
13-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Wenger against the January transfer window, he says. No, Arsene, you are against all transfer windows!

Power n Glory
13-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Every opinion on Arsenal is a "what if". What if we were a normal team, then wouldn't it make sense to buy this guy or that guy? But if you then have to suggest who we should buy in terms of the system Wenger favours, it's just silly. We've conceded he won't spend what's necessary to get the very best, so the players you'd really want to see are off the table. In a way we've all become subject to his bargain bucket mentality. 9 pieces of meat for only ...! Yes, that piece of chopped liver could do a job. No, that off-cut isn't good enough, even by our standards.

It's not even a bargain bucket thing anymore. The guy is just mental. For what we paid for Xhaka we could have paid for Vidal a year before, Gundogan or even Kante. We had other options that would have suited us more but we went for Xhaka.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
13-01-2017, 03:07 PM
It's not even a bargain bucket thing anymore. The guy is just mental. For what we paid for Xhaka we could have paid for Vidal a year before, Gundogan or even Kante. We had other options that would have suited us more but we went for Xhaka.

hes always been the worlds biggest prevaricator, he has two types of signings one he has scoped out for a long time and panic buys.

selassie
13-01-2017, 03:36 PM
hes always been the worlds biggest prevaricator, he has two types of signings one he has scoped out for a long time and panic buys.

Yep

Globalgunner
13-01-2017, 05:12 PM
Right now Wenger is thinking about maybe making his mind up if he should consider maybe buying some players this window. Or what other options there are that could feasibly see us selling [players and therefore having a spending surplus that along with a 4th place finish should earn him a performance bonus at the end of the season.

Niall_Quinn
13-01-2017, 10:54 PM
I do sort of get Wenger's argument that the January window is a waste of time. An organised and purposeful club should have all its business queued up by May, ready to pull the trigger in the summer. Any manager who knows what he's doing should surely know well in advance what type of player they need and should be working even further in advance to get the scouts deployed properly so they have a wide range of options when the manager asks the questions.

Any manager who enters the transfer window and STARTS the process of identifying targets is surely incompetent.

Of course opportunistic targets might emerge, but on the whole this January window should be redundant. Then again, transfer windows are all about money and who gets what and at what percentage. So in that respect two windows makes perfect sense.

Dicks and chicks
14-01-2017, 01:45 AM
Diego Costa going to china massive boost to us

Goonermerree
14-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I do sort of get Wenger's argument that the January window is a waste of time. An organised and purposeful club should have all its business queued up by May, ready to pull the trigger in the summer. Any manager who knows what he's doing should surely know well in advance what type of player they need and should be working even further in advance to get the scouts deployed properly so they have a wide range of options when the manager asks the questions.

Any manager who enters the transfer window and STARTS the process of identifying targets is surely incompetent.

Of course opportunistic targets might emerge, but on the whole this January window should be redundant. Then again, transfer windows are all about money and who gets what and at what percentage. So in that respect two windows makes perfect sense.

Didn't there used to be transfers all year round? So making just two was a move forward from that. No manager can legislate for injuries, if we'd bought someone last January we would have had a better chance at winning the league. You're not going to get a world class player, but a good one will sometime suffice.

Özim
14-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Let's be honest here, Vardy has been rubbish for the very club he scored loads for last season, they play the right game for him and yet he's really not scoring any goals. Everything points to a guy who had one good season and will be remembered for that and nothing else, it was always a risk with Leicester players.

What we needed was a top player, who would guarantee goals and Vardy clearly wasn't the answer.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2017, 09:34 PM
Let's be honest here, Vardy has been rubbish for the very club he scored loads for last season, they play the right game for him and yet he's really not scoring any goals. Everything points to a guy who had one good season and will be remembered for that and nothing else, it was always a risk with Leicester players.

What we needed was a top player, who would guarantee goals and Vardy clearly wasn't the answer.

No, Ranieri has changed the system quite dramatically, probably because they lost their real star player Kante. And hoping for a top shelf striker is a waste of time, Wenger would never spend the money. He'll spend 90 mill on second and third tier players, no problem. But the thought of taking that whole 90 and splashing it for somebody like Lewandowski doesn't come into his reckoning, or if it does he manages to keep it a deep secret. We wasted that 90mill because these new players fill holes that Wenger had left in the team, but they don't move us on a level. Vardy would have been no different to a Xhaka, or a Perez and at the time we desperately needed a striker, he was available, cheap and could do a job. That was the whole criteria. No the ideal one but you have to be realistic when it comes to Wenger.

As it is, he moved Alexis up top instead. A good move which he is now undoing for some inexplicable, Wengerish reason. So it could have worked out better for us but Wenger has knocked that on the head too.

Niall_Quinn
14-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Didn't there used to be transfers all year round? So making just two was a move forward from that. No manager can legislate for injuries, if we'd bought someone last January we would have had a better chance at winning the league. You're not going to get a world class player, but a good one will sometime suffice.

Transfers all year round worked okay back then but would be a disaster now. If the gypos were locked in a title battle with us going into the last few weeks they'd just buy Ozil and Alexis. Could never work now. And players didn't have the power back then. You can imagine some of the shits requesting a transfer as soon as they got knocked out of a cup or thought they couldn't win a title.

Goonermerree
15-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Transfers all year round worked okay back then but would be a disaster now. If the gypos were locked in a title battle with us going into the last few weeks they'd just buy Ozil and Alexis. Could never work now. And players didn't have the power back then. You can imagine some of the shits requesting a transfer as soon as they got knocked out of a cup or thought they couldn't win a title.

No,that's why two set transfer windows were brought in avoid that;

Özim
19-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Atletico Madrid could be forced to sell some of the club's top players, including 25-year-old France forward Antoine Griezmann, due to the complex financing they have used to push through their controversial move to their new home for next season.

If this is true this is our chance, a top striker available.

Niall_Quinn
19-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Greaseman from Crewe Railway Worker's Union FC is available for £5k. Is that who you mean?

fakeyank
19-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Heard United is interested. Besides I am not interested in seeing him play wide on the wings.

The one person we need from Atletico is Simeone.. thats the person who can significantly change our club, not a player. We need to change our moron of a manager first and the rest will fall into place.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-01-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm really not sold on Simeone.

Don't get me wrong if I had the choice I would take him over Wenger but that doesn't mean he's the ideal solution for us

Allegri, Emery, Sampaoli, Tuchel would be my first choices over Simeone

Failing Simeone or any of them I'd even consider Gio Van Bronckhorst - five points clear with Feyenoord who haven't won the title in almost 18 years

Özim
19-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Dortmund currently 6th in the table in Germany, pretty shocking for a team with the players they have, Tuchel is not exactly delivering success, he's not done a good job at all since Klopp left.

Simeone at least is proven over several seasons.

Özim
19-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Heard United is interested. Besides I am not interested in seeing him play wide on the wings.

The one person we need from Atletico is Simeone.. thats the person who can significantly change our club, not a player. We need to change our moron of a manager first and the rest will fall into place.

I agree about Simeone, we do need a striker though and have for years and signing a player like Griezmann would fill that gap. Won't happen as one of the other big clubs will snap him up if he becomes available, when in reality we're the ones with the greatest need.

Power n Glory
19-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Dortmund currently 6th in the table in Germany, pretty shocking for a team with the players they have, Tuchel is not exactly delivering success, he's not done a good job at all since Klopp left.

I was thinking the same. Saw an article not so long ago about the trouble Dortmund have had this season. He could be one for the future but I'd at least like someone that has a stronger record. Simeone should be a no brainer if it came down to just these the two.

Marc Overmars
19-01-2017, 04:11 PM
We won't be after Griezmann. His price would be something in the region of Pogba's and we're not going to play in that ballpark.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-01-2017, 04:17 PM

Only side in Germany to push Guardiola's Bayern all the way, Bundesliga is in a bit of a state of flux at the moment and i think Dortmund will still be in the chasing pack only side to beat Bayern in the Bundesliga this season.

I do agree Simeone's consistency has been impressive and he does have Atletico challenging on all fronts, but i just don't see his style fitting ours plus when he leaves Atletico it will be the big money clubs waiting to snap him up.

Had the board any nuts we would have gone for Klopp when we had the chance, i think he's doing a great job with a very average Liverpool side.

Özim
19-01-2017, 07:32 PM
We won't be after Griezmann. His price would be something in the region of Pogba's and we're not going to play in that ballpark.

Yeah, that's why we'll never get a top striker, they come with a matching price tag. We're more interested in delving into the bargin bin for players like Giroud and Perez who will never win you anything of note, 2nd tier players for 2nd rate teams in reality.

You look at Man U and how they've become the richest club, all built on their success, they'll pay the big money, bring in the top players and not think twice about it, that's what top clubs do, I guess that's why we'll never really be a top club, our ambitions are too small.

Özim
19-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Only side in Germany to push Guardiola's Bayern all the way, Bundesliga is in a bit of a state of flux at the moment and i think Dortmund will still be in the chasing pack only side to beat Bayern in the Bundesliga this season.

I do agree Simeone's consistency has been impressive and he does have Atletico challenging on all fronts, but i just don't see his style fitting ours plus when he leaves Atletico it will be the big money clubs waiting to snap him up.

Had the board any nuts we would have gone for Klopp when we had the chance, i think he's doing a great job with a very average Liverpool side.

I've never been a big fan of Guardiola despite his record, he's only managed two of the best teams before City and I dislike his style of football, he's been rather shown up in the PL when he hasn't had the best team (although Man City have one of the best). Tuchel hasn't done that great with Dortmund in the last couple seasons, they got beaten by Liverpool in shocking after ending up in the Europa league and aren't pulling up any trees in the league either, so for me he's not a candidate at the moment.

Simeone is proven, will get the players/squad into shape and has got an eye for talent, I think style can change, I hope our style does change because as it is now it's probably as boring as it can get, I've never been so bored watching Arsenal matches, they're actually hard to watch because there's a distinct lack of excitement and the are so repetitive.

To think we use to play such amazing football and someone turned our noses up at it and decided to play the rubbish we play now, shocking really.

fakeyank
19-01-2017, 07:54 PM
I've never been a big fan of Guardiola despite his record, he's only managed two of the best teams before City and I dislike his style of football, he's been rather shown up in the PL when he hasn't had the best team (although Man City have one of the best). Tuchel hasn't done that great with Dortmund in the last couple seasons, they got beaten by Liverpool in shocking after ending up in the Europa league and aren't pulling up any trees in the league either, so for me he's not a candidate at the moment.

Simeone is proven, will get the players/squad into shape and has got an eye for talent, I think style can change, I hope our style does change because as it is now it's probably as boring as it can get, I've never been so bored watching Arsenal matches, they're actually hard to watch because there's a distinct lack of excitement and the are so repetitive.

To think we use to play such amazing football and someone turned our noses up at it and decided to play the rubbish we play now, shocking really.

:gp:

I dont understand the criticism of Simeone's playing style. Its not like we are pleasing to the eye. We play tippy tappy boring football 90% of the games. I'd rather watch boring yet effective football over boring and ineffective football.

selassie
20-01-2017, 10:24 AM

Yeah totally agree, I think Tuchel is vastly overrated TBH. They play nice football but he's not doing a great job and has spent a lot of money since he's been there.

He's underachieving.

Bumble
20-01-2017, 01:25 PM
didn't think we were going to bother with this transfer window thread this time.

Niall_Quinn
20-01-2017, 02:12 PM
didn't think we were going to bother with this transfer window thread this time.

Just keeping the tradition going. It's more ceremonial these days. Gawd bless it.

McNamara That Ghost...
21-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Anyway, West Ham signed Fonte. :blink:

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2017, 11:10 AM
From the truth teller Rob Draper.

Arsenal are expected to challenge Manchester United for the signature of Atletico Madrid star Antoine Griezmann, the north London club having failed with an initial attempt to sign him last summer.

Arsenal were rebuffed then because the Frenchman had just extended his contract with Atletico until 2021.

But it is widely expected that Europe's elite clubs will move again for him in the summer, with Griezmann having recently been voted third best player in the world behind Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Coupled with the latest rumours about Wenger, this is shaping up to be the biggest WUM yet. New manager and a 85mill bid for one of the world's premium strikers? If I hit the Arsenal to English dictionary I come up with, "Alexis leaving in the summer."

Marc Overmars
29-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Payet off back to Marseille. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
29-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Payet off back to Marseille. :lol:

All went to his head. It will be downhill all the way for him now. Still, I guess he'll pick up a ton of dosh, which is what it's all about. Horrible playa.

Marc Overmars
29-01-2017, 02:10 PM
He was given a loyalty bonus back in September as well. Snake.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-01-2017, 02:37 PM
All went to his head. It will be downhill all the way for him now.

Let's hope so, all this bollocks about not settling in London is just that. Obviously overlooking the shanty towns of Marseille is much better place to bring up your kids. Only a Tosser refuses to play.

Bumble
31-01-2017, 01:39 PM
is this the dullest transfer window on record for arsenal even by our standards. we normally used to be hopeful at the start of the window that we would sign someone... then as the window goes on..... that hope diminishes.

now we didn't even hope for any activity. it has been a long snooze fest really.

although looking at it we don't need any squad fillers so only a super super player is required. plenty of options up front, and midfield. and only real weakness is maybe a back up right back but even there there are options.

I guess that's why there are only 14 pages.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 01:53 PM
is this the dullest transfer window on record for arsenal even by our standards. we normally used to be hopeful at the start of the window that we would sign someone... then as the window goes on..... that hope diminishes.

now we didn't even hope for any activity. it has been a long snooze fest really.

although looking at it we don't need any squad fillers so only a super super player is required. plenty of options up front, and midfield. and only real weakness is maybe a back up right back but even there there are options.

It's telling. Noticed that as well. Nobody is even calling for a new signing and it's not as if we don't need anything. Just another sign that people are growing tried of the same old.

fakeyank
31-01-2017, 02:03 PM

We have a pretty good squad. I think we have the best squad in the league, but we play with a 4th rate manager.. hence the disinterest.

GP
31-01-2017, 02:05 PM

I don't think it's that no one was hoping for activity, there just aren't any glaring holes in the squad that need to be plugged. January windows are awful, should be scrapped really.

Letters
31-01-2017, 02:21 PM
We have a pretty good squad. I think we have the best squad in the league, but we play with a 4th rate manager.. hence the disinterest.

Who currently has us above other most of the other clubs whose managers cocks you've been sucking.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Who currently has us above other most of the other clubs whose managers cocks you've been sucking.

You think it will last all season?

Being above those managers I mean. What FY does in his spare time is up to him. :lol:

Letters
31-01-2017, 02:36 PM
What FY does in his spare time is up to him. :lol:

I'll judge it at the end of the season :sulk:

I do think this is the best squad we've had for a long time. The next 2 games will tell us a lot, if we win tonight and Chelsea drop points then we could go to Stamford Bridge knowing that a win would put us back in it.
We know how those games usually end of course. If we lose to Chelsea - I expect us to, honestly - then it's same old Arsenal. Hope springs eternal though.

fakeyank
31-01-2017, 02:48 PM

We have seen this before and talked about this before. I would take many of the managers below us- Pochettino, Klopp, Karanka, Koeman over who we have. At least if we are not winning, we will at least be entertained. With the moron in charge, we dont win nor do we play decent football. But let's judge him at the end of this season, and then give him till the end of next season and continue on this back and forth till we both die. :good:

Letters
31-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Wouldn't mind Koeman tbf, not so sure about Klopp.

Marc Overmars
31-01-2017, 03:50 PM
It's telling. Noticed that as well. Nobody is even calling for a new signing and it's not as if we don't need anything. Just another sign that people are growing tried of the same old.

Wasn't bothered in the slightest about this transfer window. I think our squad is good enough to win the league and isn't in need of any specific and urgent improvement.

The best signing we can make now is a new manager, players won't make a difference anymore. Most of us accept this hence the antipathy.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Wasn't bothered in the slightest about this transfer window. I think our squad is good enough to win the league and isn't in need of any specific and urgent improvement.

The best signing we can make now is a new manager, players won't make a difference anymore. Most of us accept this hence the antipathy.

I think we have enough bodies but quality wise......the central midfield needs addressing. Again. We haven't come close to replicating our best performance since Cazorla got injured.

Also, we need a winger. A proper goal scoring, playmaking winger and not a striker playing wide or a central player being asked to do a job wide.

It's not much but in terms of selection, we don't have much to work with in these areas. The quality isn't there unless we rejig the whole system and we know that won't happen under Wenger and so late on in the season.

Özim
31-01-2017, 04:58 PM

I'll judge it at the end of the season :sulk:

I do think this is the best squad we've had for a long time. The next 2 games will tell us a lot, if we win tonight and Chelsea drop points then we could go to Stamford Bridge knowing that a win would put us back in it.
We know how those games usually end of course. If we lose to Chelsea - I expect us to, honestly - then it's same old Arsenal. Hope springs eternal though.

Come on, surely by now you've realised we're not in it and never will be with the manager we have, , we don't have a hope of winning the title, we've shown this time and time and time and time again, yes we appear to be in the mix but come crunch time we'll fall away faster than a large rock dropped from space.

There is no ifs with this club, just when, as in when we'll collapse like a house of cards.

Özim
31-01-2017, 05:00 PM
I think we have enough bodies but quality wise......the central midfield needs addressing. Again. We haven't come close to replicating our best performance since Cazorla got injured.

Also, we need a winger. A proper goal scoring, playmaking winger and not a striker playing wide or a central player being asked to do a job wide.

It's not much but in terms of selection, we don't have much to work with in these areas. The quality isn't there unless we rejig the whole system and we know that won't happen under Wenger and so late on in the season.

I agree, our squad is decent but it's nowhere near complete, a top striker is a must, again agree about the winger, we're always putting player on the wing who aren't winners, but someone who can weigh in with goals as well would be handy. We also do need someone to come in for Cazorla, or some sort of leader who can dictate from there, I'd also add a left back is a must.

Letters
31-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Come on, surely by now you've realised we're not in it and never will be with the manager we have, , we don't have a hope of winning the title, we've shown this time and time and time and time again, yes we appear to be in the mix but come crunch time we'll fall away faster than a large rock dropped from space.

There is no ifs with this club, just when, as in when we'll collapse like a house of cards.

Well, I think you're probably right and if we fold against Chelsea as I suspect we will or mess things up tonight then it's same old Arsenal.
But if we knew for sure then we wouldn't follow it. What would be the point?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
31-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I don't think we are in anyway lacking goals this season, it's just character, consistency and fluidity......

a world class striker would be lovely, but Lewandowski, Aubemeyang, Griezmann.......outside of football manager how realistic do you think it would be to have signed one of these three in january?

i'd like cover at right back because jenkinson is terrible but overall i'm reasonably happy with the squad, just not the manager presiding over it.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 06:13 PM
I agree, our squad is decent but it's nowhere near complete, a top striker is a must, again agree about the winger, we're always putting player on the wing who aren't winners, but someone who can weigh in with goals as well would be handy. We also do need someone to come in for Cazorla, or some sort of leader who can dictate from there, I'd also add a left back is a must.

I think we have the fire power with Alexis up front. I can't see many top strikers out there that has his ability to score, be a playmaker and has pace along with power. His presence opens things up for our limited 'wingers' /wide strikers at least. But I still feel as though we need an elite winger to help out. Giroud up from inhibits the attack too much. His game has too much of a knock on effect for other players in a negative way.

Letters
31-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Well, I think you're probably right and if we fold against Chelsea as I suspect we will or mess things up tonight then it's same old Arsenal.
But if we knew for sure then we wouldn't follow it. What would be the point?

Letters :pal:

:ilt:

Marc Overmars
31-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Even a win at Chelsea isn't going to convince anyone now.

Careless defeat tonight, not a chance in hell we can last the distance. They're just not driven enough.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 11:05 PM

Careless defeat tonight, not a chance in hell we can last the distance. They're just not driven enough.

I was going to make that point earlier but I thought the same last season. There are no odd games that will give us any indication of how this season will end. We could have won tonight and beat Chelsea but then go on to lose at home to Hull. We're a just a disappointment.

Marc Overmars
31-01-2017, 11:16 PM
It's just the same hallmarks of failed years gone by.

You can live in hope but deep down we all know how it's going to end.

Power n Glory
31-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Same shit, different toilet.

Letters
01-02-2017, 08:14 AM

Agreed. If we'd won last night then a win at Chelsea would have put us 3 points behind, right back in it. But, as far too often, we fail to do what we need to and even a win at Chelsea would see us 6 points behind. The more likely outcome is we'll be 12 points behind and out of it, even a draw leaves us 9 points behind and we're not making that up. Twats.

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 08:54 AM
The next 2 games will tell us a lot

Considering we fell at the first hurdle, did you take anything new away from this game? Do you have a different perspective on the club, manager, players and title hopes?

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Agreed. If we'd won last night then a win at Chelsea would have put us 3 points behind, right back in it. But, as far too often, we fail to do what we need to and even a win at Chelsea would see us 6 points behind. The more likely outcome is we'll be 12 points behind and out of it, even a draw leaves us 9 points behind and we're not making that up. Twats.

A win at the chavs would have been a tease at best, but it would never be an indication we are in the title hunt. Mathematically, perhaps. But based on the evidence of soul crushing season after soul crushing season under this manager the chance of us winning a title has been 0% for quite some time now. Literally 0%

Even when all our main rivals disappear we still can't do it. Teams like Leicester City can sneak in and say, we'll have some of that. But Wenger will always find a way to lose. If there is a way to lose it is 100% certain Wenger will seize it and exploit it to the maximum. Of course he doesn't mean to lose. And because of that we can conclude, with 100% certainty, he is incompetent.

At the start of a season, what are the chances of winning a title with an incompetent manager? 0%
In the middle of a season, what are the chances of winning a title with an incompetent manager? 0%
With a win against major rivals in a crunch game near the end of the season, what are the chances of winning a title with an incompetent manager? 0%
Next season, what are the chances of winning a title with an incompetent manager? 0%
The season after...

Letters
01-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Considering we fell at the first hurdle, did you take anything new away from this game? Do you have a different perspective on the club, manager, players and title hopes?

Well, as you know I'm generally a glass half full kinda person. I saw this as a good opportunity to make up ground on Chelsea as they had the harder game and that would mean going to Stamford Bridge with a chance to put some real pressure on them.
But yes, we fell at the first hurdle, we actually lost ground on Chelsea :lol: :ilt:

So I'm done, I don't see any hope of major trophies with this manager. I still don't think he deserves quite the level of disrespect or abuse he gets on here, he's nowhere near as inept as people make out and is only failing in comparison with himself, but with our squad we should have won the league last year and we should be pushing Chelsea hard this. We didn't and we're not. #WengerOut.

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Well, as you know I'm generally a glass half full kinda person. I saw this as a good opportunity to make up ground on Chelsea as they had the harder game and that would mean going to Stamford Bridge with a chance to put some real pressure on them.
But yes, we fell at the first hurdle, we actually lost ground on Chelsea :lol: :ilt:

So I'm done, I don't see any hope of major trophies with this manager. I still don't think he deserves quite the level of disrespect or abuse he gets on here, he's nowhere near as inept as people make out and is only failing in comparison with himself, but with our squad we should have won the league last year and we should be pushing Chelsea hard this. We didn't and we're not. #WengerOut.

Agree with most of that but the part in bold doesn't make sense. How so?

Letters
01-02-2017, 09:46 AM
A win at the chavs would have been a tease at best, but it would never be an indication we are in the title hunt. Mathematically, perhaps. But based on the evidence of soul crushing season after soul crushing season under this manager the chance of us winning a title has been 0% for quite some time now. Literally 0%
I disagree. These are the sorts of games we "always" mess up. If we'd actually won them this time then it would have been a small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, things might be different.
If you don't have any hope then what's the point in following it?

But anyway, we reverted to type so fine, it's over, it's all over #Rocky

My level of involvement with Arsenal these days is tutting at results after games are over. I think for now that's probably the level which the club deserve.

Letters
01-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Agree with most of that but the part in bold doesn't make sense. How so?

We're still, on average, doing better than at most times in the club's history. It was only the first half of Wenger's time with us that we were, for a while, dominant in a way we hadn't been since the 30s.
We have no divine right to be in the top few each year and before Wenger that was the exception rather than the rule.

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I disagree. These are the sorts of games we "always" mess up. If we'd actually won them this time then it would have been a small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, things might be different.
If you don't have any hope then what's the point in following it?

But anyway, we reverted to type so fine, it's over, it's all over #Rocky

My level of involvement with Arsenal these days is tutting at results after games are over. I think for now that's probably the level which the club deserve.

Why do you keep asking disgruntled fans why they continue to follow the fortunes of the club they support? It's not that fans' fault that everything has become depressingly predictable, that's entirely down to one man. He's the guy who should be leaving, not the fans.

We've had "game changing" results before. Spanking the gypos, crushing Utd, a nice win against the chavs earlier in the season. None of it amounts to anything significant in the end though. We never build on success, either in the transfer window or in the team selections or tactics on the pitch. Wenger has a failsafe position he'll always revert to as soon as he can and that's why we can always anticipate momentum being destroyed or confidence smashed or progress derailed. It's all him.

Even our shitty owners have started to do a bit by kicking in cash. We know the players are up to the task - BECAUSE of these one-off games where suddenly they can play, suddenly they have motivation, suddenly they can pass again, suddenly they want the ball. Against Watford, look at the behaviour of the players in the first half and compare to the second half. It's almost as if a set of unenergised clones were sent out for the first 45, then the real team arrived for the second. Of course Wenger found a way to screw up the second half too - he always does. And that's why a win against the chavs won't mean a damn thing in the grand scheme. Beat the chavs and the players will get excited, the fans will get excited (or would do at any normal club), the media will get excited (or would do if they hadn't seen it all before), false dawns will break and everyone will bask for a while - then Wenger will intervene and blow the whole thing up. That's what he does. That's what he has unerringly been doing for over a decade now.

This man has to leave the club so we can get a proper manager in. There's nothing more important in terms of Arsenal progressing as a genuine title contender. We can't move forward as long as this guy is holding us back. I'm not happy we lost this game, but maybe there is a silver lining. We are out of the title race even earlier than usual. That gives time for the owners to consider their options and for the fans to remind them what the main option should be. Wenger out.

Letters
01-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Why do you keep asking disgruntled fans why they continue to follow the fortunes of the club they support?
The same reason I would ask anyone who keeps hitting themselves on the head why they keep hitting them-self on the head.
You in particular I asked because you seem to get zero pleasure out of it, win or lose. And actually the only way I see any change happening is if people en mass disengage from the club. While people keep filling the ground, buying the merchandise, subscribing to the TV packages and the money keeps rolling in then the board won't change a thing.
There is no silver lining from this result. The money keeps rolling in, we'll finish top 4, cha-ching! Round and round we go.

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 10:50 AM
We're still, on average, doing better than at most times in the club's history. It was only the first half of Wenger's time with us that we were, for a while, dominant in a way we hadn't been since the 30s.
We have no divine right to be in the top few each year and before Wenger that was the exception rather than the rule.

Would you say the same about Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea? Bayern, Madrid or Barca?

It's not about divine right. Nothing divine about it. It's about the standard we set ourselves and the amount we've invested in this club to achieve that. If any of the above clubs I mention drop fall way short of winning the title, question marks are raised about the players and manager. It's not divine right, just knowing that we're falling below the standard we've set for ourselves and Gazidis said the aim is to be able to compete with clubs like Bayern. We're far from that.

Niall_Quinn
01-02-2017, 11:00 AM
The same reason I would ask anyone who keeps hitting themselves on the head why they keep hitting them-self on the head.
You in particular I asked because you seem to get zero pleasure out of it, win or lose. And actually the only way I see any change happening is if people en mass disengage from the club. While people keep filling the ground, buying the merchandise, subscribing to the TV packages and the money keeps rolling in then the board won't change a thing.
There is no silver lining from this result. The money keeps rolling in, we'll finish top 4, cha-ching! Round and round we go.

There's a big difference between the long term fans and the tourist consumers filling an increasing number of home seats. And the odd game comes along, like on Saturday, where before you know it you are enjoying football again. Slim pickings but the tiny chance we'll see a game and the long standing and unbroken relationship with the club means I won't be going anywhere. I was here before Wenger arrived and, fate willing, I'll be here when he's gone - even though I might be 90 years old.

Letters
01-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Would you say the same about Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea? Bayern, Madrid or Barca?

It's not about divine right. Nothing divine about it. It's about the standard we set ourselves and the amount we've invested in this club to achieve that. If any of the above clubs I mention drop fall way short of winning the title, question marks are raised about the players and manager. It's not divine right, just knowing that we're falling below the standard we've set for ourselves and Gazidis said the aim is to be able to compete with clubs like Bayern. We're far from that.

Who are the "we" in that post?

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Who are the "we" in that post?

I'll get into that once you're able to answer the first question.

Bumble
01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
We are going to get to the semis of the CL this season and at least the quarters of the FA Cup.

Letters
01-02-2017, 02:02 PM

No team has a Divine right to be anywhere, some clubs have a history of being a bigger club, others have recently bought their way in to the top table (which, to be fair, is the only way of joining these days).
Arsenal have always been a big club and a fairly successful one BUT it should be noted that since the 30s we have never been a team which has been consistently successful. Read Fever Pitch.
We won The Double in 1971 and didn't win another trophy of any kind till 1979, for example. And that Double was preceded by the Fairs Cup in 1970 but that was the first trophy since 1953 when we were champions.
There have been long periods of time when we've been nowhere. English football has never had a Rangers or Celtic who are pretty much always up there, it's only the rise of TV money and in particular the Champions League which has created this little group of teams at the top of each league who tend to stay up there because the money it generates makes it self-sustaining.

This is why I asked what you meant by who "we" are. What standard do "we" set ourselves? If you mean the board then the current lot only care about the revenues, trophies are nice and keep the profile up but so long as we're up there in the top 4 and qualify for the CL the income streams are secured so that's good enough. I believe Wenger desperately wants us to win titles but I don't think he has the ability to do so any more. If you mean the fans then what is that standard based on? For younger fans it can only be what they've grown up with which is us being brilliant and winning trophies left, right and centre. This is why I say Wenger is only failing compared with himself. It's not that we never had success before Wenger, obviously. But let's not forget that it was never consistent success. Never in our history have we had so many consecutive seasons as one of the top few clubs in the country.

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 02:34 PM
No team has a Divine right to be anywhere, some clubs have a history of being a bigger club, others have recently bought their way in to the top table (which, to be fair, is the only way of joining these days).
Arsenal have always been a big club and a fairly successful one BUT it should be noted that since the 30s we have never been a team which has been consistently successful. Read Fever Pitch.
We won The Double in 1971 and didn't win another trophy of any kind till 1979, for example. And that Double was preceded by the Fairs Cup in 1970 but that was the first trophy since 1953 when we were champions.
There have been long periods of time when we've been nowhere. English football has never had a Rangers or Celtic who are pretty much always up there, it's only the rise of TV money and in particular the Champions League which has created this little group of teams at the top of each league who tend to stay up there because the money it generates makes it self-sustaining.

This is why I asked what you meant by who "we" are. What standard do "we" set ourselves? If you mean the board then the current lot only care about the revenues, trophies are nice and keep the profile up but so long as we're up there in the top 4 and qualify for the CL the income streams are secured so that's good enough. I believe Wenger desperately wants us to win titles but I don't think he has the ability to do so any more. If you mean the fans then what is that standard based on? For younger fans it can only be what they've grown up with which is us being brilliant and winning trophies left, right and centre. This is why I say Wenger is only failing compared with himself. It's not that we never had success before Wenger, obviously. But let's not forget that it was never consistent success. Never in our history have we had so many consecutive seasons as one of the top few clubs in the country.

I'm not talking about divine right? What is divine right? Football has changed since the 70s. There is no point comparing.

You still haven't answered the first part of the question. Would it this be acceptable for Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Barca or Bayern?

We're the 5th richest club in the world above City, Chelsea and Juve, just below Bayern with Utd, Barca and Madrid. But we're the club that hasn't won the league in over a decade. Well, Spurs are also in that Top 10 :lol: along with Liverpool but considering how we rip the piss out of them and how we rip the piss out of Utd, City or Chelsea when finishing lower than expected or losing, why is that Wenger is only being compared with himself? That's not how this works. I've only ever heard of that when someone is so good and far beyond the competition that they're on another planet compared to anyone else and it's only fair to compare their work with their best effort. We can agree that's not the case for Wenger.

Letters
01-02-2017, 02:57 PM
You still haven't answered the first part of the question. Would it this be acceptable for Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Barca or Bayern?
Well, this is why I wanted to know who "we" are. Good enough for who? The board? The fans?

Power n Glory
01-02-2017, 03:17 PM
Well, this is why I wanted to know who "we" are. Good enough for who? The board? The fans?

We as a club. The fans and players expect more from a club of our stature. The Board have said they're aiming to be able to compete with Bayern. Wenger himself has said he wants more and you only have to look to Theo's recent 'Any Given Sunday' story to further that. Financially we're up there as the 5th richest club in the world.

I'm not going to fall into the same debate about Board expectations and Wenger's compared to the fans. They've already said they're not happy with not winning and aim to win so we can leave it at that.

But now answer what you think when see Jose or Pep faltering with both Manchester clubs. Chelsea last season. I've even heard you say you're not sure about Klopp because of his recent run with Liverpool even though he's done more than Wenger in recent years. Why are you unsure of a manger like Klopp but then say Wenger is only competing with himself?

Letters
02-02-2017, 02:49 PM
We as a club.
The club is just an entity, it doesn't have expectations.

The board do but right now they seem to be mostly about revenue. They said they're aiming to compete with Bayern but they didn't sack a manager who failed last year to compete with Leicester. All the other big guns did and while I don't want to be on the endless manager merry-go-round there comes a time when enough is enough. IMO Wenger did well to navigate us through the stadium move and keep us up there and the FA Cups were nice but it's clear he can't push is any further so we need someone who can.

The fans have an expectation too but where does that expectation come from? Right now it comes from Wenger's time with us, before then we never expected to challenge for the title each year. I didn't say he's competing with himself, I said he's only failing in comparison with himself. 20 years ago 3 seasons where we win two FA Cups and then finish 2nd in the league wouldn't have led to howls of derision and calls to sack the manager. We as a club have moved on, we expect more now but that level of expectation comes from Wenger's initial success with us and the way the club has grown under him.

But now answer what you think when see Jose or Pep faltering with both Manchester clubs. Chelsea last season.
I think :pal:

But I also think "be careful what you wish for". I think Wenger needs to move on but I reject the notion that Wenger is such a bumbling incompetent that any idiot could come in and we'd be winning titles left, right and centre. Other feted managers have come and gone at big Premier League clubs with big resources and failed to do that.

So...Wenger Out, but let's get things out of perspective. He's kept us relatively competitive, we have a good squad, we have money in the bank. We're in pretty good shape for any manager coming in, he's hardly "done a Clough" and taken us down, he hasn't even done a Moyes.

Power n Glory
02-02-2017, 03:23 PM
The club is just an entity, it doesn't have expectations.

The board do but right now they seem to be mostly about revenue. They said they're aiming to compete with Bayern but they didn't sack a manager who failed last year to compete with Leicester. All the other big guns did and while I don't want to be on the endless manager merry-go-round there comes a time when enough is enough. IMO Wenger did well to navigate us through the stadium move and keep us up there and the FA Cups were nice but it's clear he can't push is any further so we need someone who can.

The fans have an expectation too but where does that expectation come from? Right now it comes from Wenger's time with us, before then we never expected to challenge for the title each year. I didn't say he's competing with himself, I said he's only failing in comparison with himself. 20 years ago 3 seasons where we win two FA Cups and then finish 2nd in the league wouldn't have led to howls of derision and calls to sack the manager. We as a club have moved on, we expect more now but that level of expectation comes from Wenger's initial success with us and the way the club has grown under him.

I think :pal:

But I also think "be careful what you wish for". I think Wenger needs to move on but I reject the notion that Wenger is such a bumbling incompetent that any idiot could come in and we'd be winning titles left, right and centre. Other feted managers have come and gone at big Premier League clubs with big resources and failed to do that.

So...Wenger Out, but let's get things out of perspective. He's kept us relatively competitive, we have a good squad, we have money in the bank. We're in pretty good shape for any manager coming in, he's hardly "done a Clough" and taken us down, he hasn't even done a Moyes.

His failing in comparison to to clubs of our size and stature. There is no denying Wenger got us to where we are but you're talking as if we're still playing at Highbury and not the 5th richest club in the world.

I think you've stressed caution long enough and we all understand the risk or should do by now. But say Wenger were to go and we sign a someone like Simeone or we had signed a Pep or Klopp. Someone of that sort of stature with a rep for winning....would your expectations change?

Letters
02-02-2017, 03:50 PM
His failing in comparison to to clubs of our size and stature. There is no denying Wenger got us to where we are but you're talking as if we're still playing at Highbury and not the 5th richest club in the world.
I'm talking as if Wenger deserves a bit more credit than he gets on here for getting us where we are. The level of disrespect and abuse he gets on here is unwarranted IMO although I do get the frustration at repeated mistakes and he does talk a load of balls in interviews - no more than most other managers though.

My expectations now are for us to challenge for the biggest prizes. The new stadium is now working for us rather than against and we have the resources to compete with anyone. So no, my expectations wouldn't change if we had another manager, I think we need another manager because Wenger isn't delivering my expectations and this week's game was just another example of why he isn't.

Power n Glory
02-02-2017, 04:01 PM
I'm talking as if Wenger deserves a bit more credit than he gets on here for getting us where we are. The level of disrespect and abuse he gets on here is unwarranted IMO although I do get the frustration at repeated mistakes and he does talk a load of balls in interviews - no more than most other managers though.

My expectations now are for us to challenge for the biggest prizes. The new stadium is now working for us rather than against and we have the resources to compete with anyone. So no, my expectations wouldn't change if we had another manager, I think we need another manager because Wenger isn't delivering my expectations and this week's game was just another example of why he isn't.

Wenger has been respected and once he leaves and retires things won't be so negative. You don't need to bring it up in every debate when talking about him.

Letters
02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
People don't need to go overboard and act like toddlers all the time. Every time they do I'll respond.

Power n Glory
02-02-2017, 04:35 PM
People don't need to go overboard and act like toddlers all the time. Every time they do I'll respond.

But you're talking to me about a separate issue on your expectations and perspective on things after this loss. We don't have to get into a debate about the abuse. I've said it before, it's mostly a spontaneous thing on here. Despite what we say, the losses still burn.

Niall_Quinn
14-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Representatives of Arsenal and Barcelona have met to discuss the transfer of right back Hector Bellerin, according to reports in Spain.

The 21-year-old has been heavily linked with a return to his hometown club, and the front page of Spanish paper Sport has revealed that they are in negotiations.

Bellerin was plucked from Barcelona's academy by Arsene Wenger in 2011 at the age of 16, but could be set for a sensational £35m return to the Nou Camp.

Just a rumour of course but I have been expecting this. I assume the 35 mill is a huge piss take? He's on a 5 year contract and he's considered to be one of the best prospects in Europe. Price would start at 50? More?

Özim
14-03-2017, 03:42 PM

It really isn't if you listen to him talk, never accepting any blame, never blaming his team, in fact doing the opposite and saying they were very good despite getting absolutley thrashed, on top of that he goes a step further and has the audacity to blame the paying public!

He deserves everythng he gets, if we wasn't so arrogant and accepted his mistakes, he'd get far more respect, the fact he doesn't is entirely on him.

As for not being any worse than other managers, that's rubbish sorry, what other manager points the finger at the fans all the time, what other manager never criticises his team, what other manager has the cheek to blame the current atmosphere on "top bad weeks", what other manager credits his team after getting hammered twice in a row in the CL?

Let me tell you the answer, none of them, for some reason you just refuse to see that his behaviour is absurd and is what really antagonises people.

Özim
14-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Just a rumour of course but I have been expecting this. I assume the 35 mill is a huge piss take? He's on a 5 year contract and he's considered to be one of the best prospects in Europe. Price would start at 50? More?

Yes but as we saw with Cesc if Barca (and Cole with Chelsea) want someone we'll bend over and let them have him.

Shaqiri Is Boss
14-03-2017, 07:16 PM
So Lukaku wants to leave Everton :popcorn:

Perfectly timed as well, as it came mere seconds after having a conversation with an Everton fan convinced he was staying and whose face dropped to the floor.

Anyway, you should get him.

Özim
14-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Not convinced about him, reminds me of Heskey, misses a lot, not a great first touch, very overrated IMO.

Globalgunner
14-03-2017, 07:27 PM
So Lukaku wants to leave Everton :popcorn:

Perfectly timed as well, as it came mere seconds after having a conversation with an Everton fan convinced he was staying and whose face dropped to the floor.

Anyway, you should get him.

Thanks but i think we can do better, besides nothing matters as much as getting Wenger out of here. We could pick the best 11 from Barca, Bayern and RM, we would still be 2nd rate with Wenger at the helm.

Bumble
14-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Not convinced about him, reminds me of Heskey, misses a lot, not a great first touch, very overrated IMO.

you dont need 11 world class players to win the league. not ideal signing but could help us out in the Europa league next year

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Far more talented than Heskey ever wasvand with Henry honing his skills I expect him to improve. Easy to forget how young he is too due to his size.

Özim
15-03-2017, 08:57 AM
I remember him in the Euros I think, one of the worst performances by a striker I've seen, awful movement, terrible touch, messed up all his chances, I know he's young but the way he plays doesn't bode well, he's clumsy and cumbersome and not the most intelligent football in terms of movement and runs either.

He'd cost a lot anyway, for that kind of money would rather spend a bit more and sign someone who is more naturally gifted.

Power n Glory
15-03-2017, 09:49 AM
I want to see what our club looks like without Wenger. He's unable to play a system that gets the very best out of players.

GP
15-03-2017, 10:19 AM
We all want that.

selassie
17-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Far more talented than Heskey ever wasvand with Henry honing his skills I expect him to improve. Easy to forget how young he is too due to his size.

He's in no way a direct comparison but I'd much rather we spend huge money on an elite talent like that Mbappe lad at Monaco.

He's well on the way to being the real deal, 18 years old...scores goals for fun in the French League and now CL.

He's the one that is worth breaking the bank for IMO...

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-03-2017, 12:44 PM
He's in no way a direct comparison but I'd much rather we spend huge money on an elite talent like that Mbappe lad at Monaco.

He's well on the way to being the real deal, 18 years old...scores goals for fun in the French League and now CL.

He's the one that is worth breaking the bank for IMO...

I would agree

Niall_Quinn
17-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Being effective and being talented are different things. Preferably you are both, but be effective at least. Lukaku is effective but I wouldn't call him a special talent. At least he's effective in the system he plays now and that's a big consideration. No guarantees at all that a player scoring elsewhere could come into our chaos and carry on scoring. Lukaku is a big risk at that amount of money. That kid Mbappe wants to go to Marketing and they want him so that's a done deal some time in the future.

selassie
17-03-2017, 02:41 PM
Being effective and being talented are different things. Preferably you are both, but be effective at least. Lukaku is effective but I wouldn't call him a special talent. At least he's effective in the system he plays now and that's a big consideration. No guarantees at all that a player scoring elsewhere could come into our chaos and carry on scoring. Lukaku is a big risk at that amount of money. That kid Mbappe wants to go to Marketing and they want him so that's a done deal some time in the future.

Yeah I agree. Lukaku is decent enough but not worth the risk. IMO He would just be like a more mobile version of Giroud in our system.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
17-03-2017, 08:04 PM
We've already tried to sign Mbaptista once already.....why would we try again.... particularly now he's flavour of the month and every team on the planet is now sizing him up. In fact I wish Wenger just kept the failed bid to himself FFS.

Niall_Quinn
17-03-2017, 08:53 PM
We've already tried to sign Mbaptista once already.....why would we try again.... particularly now he's flavour of the month and every team on the planet is now sizing him up. In fact I wish Wenger just kept the failed bid to himself FFS.

He wouldn't be able to drive the insult deep into all parties if he kept his derisory offers a secret,

Niall_Quinn
15-04-2017, 02:15 AM
Arsenal will sign Sead Kolasinac on a freebie as a replacement for Monreal. We've beaten Everton to his signature. Apparently he's been on Wenger's radar for some time, which is all you need to know really. Main thing is he's free. Yes, I'm sure there will be some good players going on a free this summer. But none of them will be coming here. Never heard of him, never seen him play and I'm 100% confident he's shite. Otherwise he'd be an "almost signed" player.

Globalgunner
15-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Hopefully he is a replacement for Gibbs, who is not even a footballer

AFC Leveller
15-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Hopefully he is a replacement for Gibbs, who is not even a footballer

Always has a fresh haircut though does Gibbs.