PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Palace (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
01-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Well done Giroud and Iwobi.

Alexis ran around like a maniac but pubbed it up in front of goal mostly.

Bellerin and Monreal were great going forward.

Palace were absolute piss.

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Great 3 points puts us back into third and, citeh drop out of the top 4. My only gripe, we should be scoring more against struggling teams like this.

Gooner23
01-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Yeah bit of a missed opportunity to get our goal difference up as Palace are woeful. But crucial win the most important thing.

World class goal from Giroud. However I still prefer our shape with Alexis up front.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Bellerin's accent is amazing. Somehow he sounds like he is from China.

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Bellerin's accent is amazing. Somehow he sounds like he is from China.

Put a link up for it if you can, I didn't hear it.

Master Splinter
01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Should have been 8-0. But it's Palace, so we can't score more than two against them.

Fat Sam gets one over Wenger again.

Bellerin is a sensational player. Fuck off Barcelona.

Probably Koscielny and Gabriel's easiest game of the year, despite that crazy succession of corners and Cech wanting to be employed.

Marc Overmars
01-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Very comfortable as expected. Should have been more than 2.

Giroud. :bow:

On we go to Bournemouth.

GP
01-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Put a link up for it if you can, I didn't hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9zMrB89rsg&feature=youtu.be

dostoy
01-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Happy we won but it was a very lucky goal from Giroud and not world class.

Agree we should score more but its been that way for over 10 years now.

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 06:39 PM
I think it was an instinctive goal, but he also started the move with a neat flick out from defence and ran to get into position to receive the cross.

McNamara That Ghost...
01-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Happy we won but it was a very lucky goal from Giroud and not world class.

Agree we should score more but its been that way for over 10 years now.

It was a phenomenal goal, not many players will even try to attempt it.

Marc Overmars
01-01-2017, 06:50 PM
It might not always happen for Giroud, but he's always had the audacity to try something ridiculous.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 06:51 PM
One of the best goals I've ever seen in my life live or otherwise. Souness and Carragher were desperate not to explicitly praise it oddly.

Letters
01-01-2017, 07:40 PM
I remember having this argument years ago when the internet was a mere toddler over the "Nayim from the half way line" goal.
I think the conclusion was it was a mixture of luck and skill.
Giroud could do that 100 times and score one, I'd do it a million times and never score, or I wouldn't even think to try it in the first place.

Good win and important one. Were Chelsea not going mental we'd be closer to the top than we are.

Maestro
01-01-2017, 07:59 PM
How was Gabriel's performance today and was he really tested by Benteke?

Chippy
01-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I remember having this argument years ago when the internet was a mere toddler over the "Nayim from the half way line" goal.
Giroud could do that 100 times and score one, I'd do it a million times and never score, or I wouldn't even think to try it in the first place.

Good win and important one. Were Chelsea not going mental we'd be closer to the top than we are.

Chelsea are doing well but don't forget we bottled it against Everton and Man City. That is also why we are so far behind. We will fuck up in the next tricky match, nothing will change.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 08:06 PM

I'd have thought to do it as the little git Sanchez did put it behind him.....but like you I don't conceive of how it would have actually gone in in a million attempts, especially off the cross bar.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
01-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Gabs was barely noticeable in a good way and I actually think he was really good against Everton and good against City.

Letters
01-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Chelsea are doing well but don't forget we bottled it against Everton and Man City. That is also why we are so far behind. We will fuck up in the next tricky match, nothing will change.

But we didn't 'bottle it' today or Boxing Day when everyone else had won. Had we dropped points today I'm sure people would be saying we bottled it.
The Everton and City games are where we fell behind and that's not good enough but Chelsea are close to equalling our record run of 14 wins in a row and no-one is keeping up with them right now.

Ernesto
01-01-2017, 08:11 PM
I think when I try and decide whether it was luck or skill, two overwhelming factors favour skill for me.

Firstly, the sheer audacity to be able to do that on a football pitch, with the full knowledge that your team mates and the fans could be on your back if you don't pull it off (even if it is the 20th minute and you're at 0-0), shows that Giroud had the confidence to want to score from there, from that angle.

Furthermore, the slow motion camera shows Girouds eyes, Bergkamp like (against Newcastle), turn and face the goal as soon as he'd made contact. He knew what he wanted to do the second the ball left Alexis foot.

Goonermerree
01-01-2017, 08:13 PM
And the fact that his little flick pass started the run forward and then had to run himself to get into the box and be steady enough after his run to score.

Chippy
01-01-2017, 08:15 PM
But we didn't 'bottle it' today or Boxing Day when everyone else had won. Had we dropped points today I'm sure people would be saying we bottled it.
The Everton and City games are where we fell behind and that's not good enough but Chelsea are close to equalling our record run of 14 wins in a row and no-one is keeping up with them right now.
Fair comment, but victories over WBA and Palace does not give me cause to get over excited.

Letters
01-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Fat Sam gets one over Wenger again.
:lol: Yep, he sure showed us.

Letters
01-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Fair comment, but victories over WBA and Palace does not give me cause to get over excited.

Well no, nor should it. These games we should be winning but at least we did.
And it's games like Everton and City that will probably make the difference between us being champions and not, but when Chelsea go winning 13 games in a row it's hard to live with. They surely have to start dropping points soon but I'm not sure we're the most likely to benefit if so. Hard to look past them right now.

Ernesto
01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
If I'm allowed just to have a rant about this Chelsea winning run, if I may

We won 13 on the bounce on our way to actually winning the league (and 14, of course, if we include our first game of the 2002/03 season- I know we drew the 15th to West Ham in a great comeback game at their ground)

En route to winning the league, we were fighting on three fronts. During the 13 game run we were in Europe (OK, we went out in the second group stage, but we still had the wherewithal to come back from adversity in the league) and we were in the FA Cup.

This run of Chelsea's which the media seem to love is admirable but only because they've done it under the radar. For the umpteenth season in a row, they're not being televised (for the purpose of keeping the viewing population awake) and therefore aren't under the pressure of playing last in a weekend where the pressure is on because most of your competitors have won.

Probably for another thread this, but COYS on Wednesday. Well, come on the draw. Nil Nil with plenty of suspensions

The Emirates Gallactico
01-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Whilst I haven't supported the recent anti Ozil bandwagon that's occurred, our play did go up a level in terms of fluidity and speed with Iwobi as the number 10 today. And this was with Giroud up front as well.

Mind you as has been said, Palace are a pile of shite right now. Thank god we got them out of the way before Fat Sam really turns them around.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Frankly some of the other games Ozil has not featured in for us has yielded diabolical performances (yes granted we have put those on with him in the team).

I still prefer to have Ozil in the side but I think Ill or not he should have been dropped anyway.

Wenger is still struggling to find his best side so he can beast it to death.

Marc Overmars
01-01-2017, 09:31 PM
If I'm allowed just to have a rant about this Chelsea winning run, if I may

We won 13 on the bounce on our way to actually winning the league (and 14, of course, if we include our first game of the 2002/03 season- I know we drew the 15th to West Ham in a great comeback game at their ground)

En route to winning the league, we were fighting on three fronts. During the 13 game run we were in Europe (OK, we went out in the second group stage, but we still had the wherewithal to come back from adversity in the league) and we were in the FA Cup.

This run of Chelsea's which the media seem to love is admirable but only because they've done it under the radar. For the umpteenth season in a row, they're not being televised (for the purpose of keeping the viewing population awake) and therefore aren't under the pressure of playing last in a weekend where the pressure is on because most of your competitors have won.

Probably for another thread this, but COYS on Wednesday. Well, come on the draw. Nil Nil with plenty of suspensions

I don't think it really matters when you play. You either have the drive required to win the league or you don't.

Power n Glory
01-01-2017, 10:04 PM
It was a phenomenal goal, not many players will even try to attempt it.

It was instinct. The ball was played behind him and like most players would, he tried to get as much contact on the ball even though it was a bad cross. Most players would have attempted to get contact on the ball but often fail. You see it all the time when someone flicks a leg out. It was the right height and Giroud had the desire to get something on the ball. Luck, instinct, skill, desire... great goal.

Power n Glory
01-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Whilst I haven't supported the recent anti Ozil bandwagon that's occurred, our play did go up a level in terms of fluidity and speed with Iwobi as the number 10 today. And this was with Giroud up front as well.

Mind you as has been said, Palace are a pile of shite right now. Thank god we got them out of the way before Fat Sam really turns them around.

I think the Giroud and Ozil partnership doesn't work. Not a huge fan of either player and as a combo with Ozil as the 10, it has it's problems. Too easy to nullify. They work best when Ozil is wide crossing the ball in. We don't need to play Ozil as a number 10. Always thought Giroud was the main problem but seeing how things are with Sanchez up front and Ozil behind, Ozil still isn't that influential.

Iwobi can play as number 10 and I think Sanchez could play there as well. Ozil should play wide left in that support role Iwobi often plays.

Niall_Quinn
01-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Watched the second half and there was some encouraging play early on. Then we got the second and Wenker shut it down. Palace really don't have a clue. Typical flat track bully performance that we've become used to. Tells us nothing we don't already know, especially about the manager who remains clueless about the need to put opponents to the sword when the opportunity is there.

Iwobi is a very good player.

fakeyank
01-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Our unbeaten run continues and most likely will continue till the end of this month. We might even cut down the points difference with Chelsea and then balls it up against Chelsea next month. You heard it here first.

Letters
02-01-2017, 11:30 AM
He's literally the worst manager in football history :sulk:

AFC Leveller
02-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Xaka is quality.

Niall_Quinn
02-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Xaka is quality.

And he also makes stupid and dangerous mistakes. Strange player. Shows flashes of brilliance and then fucks up a 2 yard pass.

AFC Leveller
02-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Wenger trolling RVC by saying "ive had so many good goals scorers since iv been here... Wright, Henry, Begkamp, Giroud...

LOL

AFC Leveller
02-01-2017, 02:47 PM
And he also makes stupid and dangerous mistakes. Strange player. Shows flashes of brilliance and then fucks up a 2 yard pass.

He can work on that though, still looks nervous at times and i guess that will improve with time. He is a quality passer and is always well positioned to receive the ball.

fakeyank
03-01-2017, 02:05 AM
He's literally the worst manager* in football history :sulk:

* For managers considered to be top football managers in world football

Fixed it for you.

Letters
03-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Nah.

selassie
03-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Our unbeaten run continues and most likely will continue till the end of this month. We might even cut down the points difference with Chelsea and then balls it up against Chelsea next month. You heard it here first.Yep, every game is must win at the moment, it's as much must win for us staying in the top 4 than it is about any fantasy idea of us challenging for the title.We're under serious pressure from United and the Spuds now.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2017, 11:51 AM
If we have any ideas of the winning the title, winning every game is pretty much what is required now.Unrealistic obviously, but that is the position we find ourselves in.If top 4 is the goal then we're good for that. Shockingly.

Goonermerree
03-01-2017, 11:55 AM
I don't think it's going to be that easy to get top 4 this year.

GP
03-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Don't we hear that every year?

I don't think this year will be much different. We're better than Spurs, Utd, City at the very least.

Power n Glory
03-01-2017, 12:05 PM
First time we've had 5 rivals teams capable of finishing in the top 4 with the team and managers capable of finishing there. In fact, 5 teams that all should be expected to finish in the Top 4.

selassie
03-01-2017, 12:19 PM
First time we've had 5 rivals teams capable of finishing in the top 4 with the team and managers capable of finishing there. In fact, 5 teams that all should be expected to finish in the Top 4.My thinking too. I honestly don't think we're any better than any of the other top 5 sides and that includes United. It's going to be a fascinating battle this year...no idea outside of Chelsea and at a push Liverpool who will finish inside top 4.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2017, 12:35 PM
I think we'll certainly do enough to finish at least 4th, but I don't think there is a huge difference in quality between the top 6.

Xhaka Can’t
03-01-2017, 01:03 PM
We will finish in the top 4.

Power n Glory
03-01-2017, 01:06 PM
My thinking too. I honestly don't think we're any better than any of the other top 5 sides and that includes United. It's going to be a fascinating battle this year...no idea outside of Chelsea and at a push Liverpool who will finish inside top 4.

Win 70 points and that usually gets you a Top 4 finish. We average that every season but for the first time we're looking at 5 other teams hitting that mark. 19/20 games played already this season and Chelsea are on 49 points, Liverpool 44, City 42, Utd and Spurs 39.

This time last year after 20 games we were on 42 points and top of the league. Chelsea were nowhere to be found near the bottom, Utd were on 33 and City 39.

We're gonna need a serious drop off in form from one or two teams to survive the Top 4. We can't afford to bottle it like last year. Finish on 71 points again and we could be in serious trouble. We still have hopes of winning the league but we're going to need our best end score tally for this year to be sure. 80+ plus just to be sure.

fakeyank
03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
If we are not challenging for the title, I dont care if we are 2nd or 17th.

Letters
03-01-2017, 03:03 PM
If we are not challenging for the title, I dont care if we are 2nd or 17th.

I'll come back to you about that when we finish 17th one year...

Agree with PnG that it will be a scrap this year, there are a lot of good sides around. But I think we'll finish top 4, say what you like about Wenger, he knows how to do that. And those saying they don't care about that would soon be whining their tits off if we did slip into mid-table.

fakeyank
03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
I'll come back to you about that when we finish 17th one year...

Thats the only way I see the dinosaur leaving. At this point, I think I'd rather finish 17th than 2nd because I think that will likely increase the possibility that he will get the axe. Again, there is no promises on how this fossil will be forced out of the club, but anything to break the status quo and push him out of this club.

Goonermerree
03-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Thats the only way I see the dinosaur leaving. At this point, I think I'd rather finish 17th than 2nd because I think that will likely increase the possibility that he will get the axe. Again, there is no promises on how this fossil will be forced out of the club, but anything to break the status quo and push him out of this club.

I know what you mean, but I can't help but want us to do the best we can, even though some times I get apathetic about our perfomances.

Power n Glory
03-01-2017, 03:55 PM

Wenger should have been sacked last season or a decision should have been made that this season will be his last with no contract offer on the table.

Looking at the level of competition, this would be the season I'd expect us to fall out of the top 4 if just looking at our rivals. I'd need to see a complete capitulation like I've never seen before to get really angry about falling out of the top 4. Something like our lowest point tally under Wenger. In fact, that's the only way I think he'll lose his job if they haven't already decided he has to go.

GP
03-01-2017, 04:01 PM
He'll be offered a new contract, top 4 or not.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2017, 04:25 PM
That's what I think as well. I genuinely don't think our board has a succession plan, they're fucking clueless.

Letters
03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
He'll be offered a new contract, top 4 or not.

Not sure about that. I think maybe a one off season outside the top 4 then yes, if we'd slipped into mid-table as many on here predicted we would he'd have been long gone.
This is the eternal dilemma with Wenger.
He's kept us in the top 4 all this time and you have to give some credit for that, but it's increasingly clear he won't win us another title. I guess it's becoming less of a dilemma because even if under a new manager we do drop out of the top 4 then at least things would be different and there would be some hope that at some point we would seriously challenge again. Right now, as much as I want Wenger to go out on a high it seems increasingly unlikely.

Power n Glory
03-01-2017, 04:35 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10706622/arsene-wenger-adamant-contract-uncertainty-will-not-destabilise-arsenal

They've got to have something planned. Wenger has set a rule where he'll decide his future in the summer and that's a poor position for the club to be in. If things were to get so bad where he'd decided against staying, they'd have to scramble around for a replacement.

Marc Overmars
03-01-2017, 04:42 PM
When Wenger is gone, they'll actually have to do some work. Easy for them if he stays.

Power n Glory
03-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Not sure about that. I think maybe a one off season outside the top 4 then yes, if we'd slipped into mid-table as many on here predicted we would he'd have been long gone.
This is the eternal dilemma with Wenger.
He's kept us in the top 4 all this time and you have to give some credit for that, but it's increasingly clear he won't win us another title. I guess it's becoming less of a dilemma because even if under a new manager we do drop out of the top 4 then at least things would be different and there would be some hope that at some point we would seriously challenge again. Right now, as much as I want Wenger to go out on a high it seems increasingly unlikely.

If he were to win the title this year, it would go down as one of the greatest wins of his career. To come out on top in a year where Pep, Klopp, Jose and Conte are all in the league at the biggest clubs...that's a big deal. That's a Royal Rumble.

Letters
03-01-2017, 04:58 PM
If he were to win the title this year, it would go down as one of the greatest wins of his career. To come out on top in a year where Pep, Klopp, Jose and Conte are all in the league at the biggest clubs...that's a big deal. That's a Royal Rumble.

And frankly I wouldn't blame him if he failed, this year. There's a lot of good teams and a lot of good managers around, so long as we challenge I wouldn't hammer Wenger if we fall short.
It was last year the damage was done, if we were ever going to win the league under Wenger again it was surely then. Ah well...

Ernesto
03-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Wengers going to Wrestlemania!

fakeyank
03-01-2017, 06:42 PM
That's a Royal Rumble.

Bet he comes 4th in that too.

Ernesto
03-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Bet he comes 4th in that too.

4th means nothing in a Rumble....unless you're Bret then you can have a pay per view all to yourself the following month.

Goonermerree
03-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Wrong thread

Chippy
03-01-2017, 09:05 PM

Need I say anything? Shameful.

Letters
03-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Bet he comes 4th in that too.Why do you keep saying 4th? We haven't finished 4th for 3 years. :shrug:

Letters
03-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Need I say anything? Shameful.Agreed. If Chelsea go mental and win every game under the sun then fine, I accept we can't compete with that, but do what you can. Win the games you should win, put SOME pressure on. Liverpool dropped points yesterday, it was a chance to put pressure on them.Not good enough.

Niall_Quinn
04-01-2017, 12:17 AM
Why do you keep saying 4th? We haven't finished 4th for 3 years. :shrug:

4th as the finish line. Great if we finish higher, but the season's goal is 4th. Our trophy.

Letters
04-01-2017, 07:23 AM
It's the minimum goal, not what Wenger is trying to achieve.
The annoying thing about him is he's good enough to do that every year - which isn't to be sniffed at and certainly suits the board - but he's not good enough to win the title. Were he as inept as you claim we wouldn't finish top 4 every year but fat lot of good that is if that's all we do.

Power n Glory
04-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Mentality of the club from top to bottom is wrong. You only have to watch Wenger's post game comments, Ramsey's post game comments, Giroud's goal celebration and contrast that with the reaction from Alexis after the final whistle. This isn't a good result but I see losers like Welbeck praising Giroud on Twitter as if he won us the game.

Letters
05-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Giroud :bow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8w1GqUaCM