PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Arsenal Media Bias

Letters
24-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Is there any? I'm generally one to try and keep objective about this sort of thing, fans of all clubs tend to be a bit paranoid. But in the wake of the Bayern game there were no fewer than 3 articles mocking us on Newsthump

http://newsthump.com/category/sports/

Fairly amusing ones, but still. And the BBC ran a video showing various memes mocking Arsenal.

Not a sausage from either about Spurs crashing out to a side I've never heard of.

I know individuals are anti-Arsenal - yes I am looking at you, Alan Hansen - and I guess others like Wright and Henry will be partisan. But overall is there an anti-Arsenal bias? Why would there be?

Discuss. Or don't. Meh.

Marc Overmars
24-02-2017, 11:01 AM
I think it stems from the media being just as frustrated as we are with the groundhog day nature of what happens to us every season, it must be boring as hell to write and speak about the same things all the time. We're an easy target I suppose.

Letters
24-02-2017, 11:07 AM
I guess it's also affected this place. What else is there to talk about?

Marc Overmars
24-02-2017, 11:10 AM
It's right across the fanbase.

The club has become a parody of itself.

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Newsthump is a parody site. You know that, right?

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2017, 11:15 AM
It's right across the fanbase.

The club has become a parody of itself.

The football club is a joke. But the club as the owners and manager see it is the envy of the business world. They turned Arsenal into a Japanese car manufacturing style robotic factory, stamping out identical results year after year. I don't think they much care what happens once the product leaves the factory, leave it to the poor fans to break down and go bust.

Özim
24-02-2017, 11:17 AM
There's no bias, they're just seeing the same thing that's happened for the last 10+ years and they're probably wondering how this never changes, it's almost like the club never learns.

Frankly we deserve a bashing in the press, we've had too many embarassing results in the last 10 years, too many thrashings and never any lessons learnt, moreover the lack of hunger and desire on the pitch is unacceptable for players earning such huge fortunes.

Wenger has created this give them everything before they achieve anything culture at the club so it's no surprise players aren't hungry, Iwobi signed a new contract (somebody said twice) based on a handful of half decent performances this season and being pretty average for a big part of it and it's happened many, many times before.

Özim
24-02-2017, 11:18 AM
The football club is a joke. But the club as the owners and manager see it is the envy of the business world. They turned Arsenal into a Japanese car manufacturing style robotic factory, stamping out identical results year after year. I don't think they much care what happens once the product leaves the factory, leave it to the poor fans to break down and go bust.

Spot on, there's very little to admire about this club these days and the people in charge are 100% to blame for it, including Wenger who has been very much involved in shaping the club into what it is today.

Letters
24-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Newsthump is a parody site. You know that, right?

Really? :unsure:

That does explain a lot now you say it.

IBK
24-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Wow - you've managed to get me to write on here again (good topic - Letters). I stopped doing so because there are only so many ways of approaching the groundhog day that we have seen at our club for years now - and there is very little new to say these days!

Re media bias - inevitably there is a degree of subjectivity about this. Because we are more involved in AFC than any other club and therefore pay more attention to what is said and written about us (as well as feeling defensive about Arsenal to a degree) we are bound to feel that there is an anti Arsenal agenda. Look at the media frenzy surrounding LVG last season; or Maureen's last disastrous season at Chelsea - and the criticism of management and playing styles that went along with that - this provided more negative copy than our limp failure to prevent Leicester from winning the title.

But on the other hand, I think that there ARE factors that make us a convenient target for negative press. These are:

1. Many of the 'establishment' journos and commentators spent their formative years in the 1980s and 1990's - during Liverpool and Manure's heydays - and both clubs still enjoy greater national support than Arsenal. These clubs are undoubtedly 'favoured' in the press - by their supporters and even neutrals.

2. AFC is in a unique position in the UK game. Big enough to be a club that people want to talk about, but without proper success for almost a decade and a half now. It is achievements that counter negative comments - and in terms of lack of achievements for a club of the size and resources of Arsenal, we are fair game. This is a factor, I think in the lack of sympathy with the treatment that some of our players seem to receive on the pitch, because the feeling is that we are, and should be big enough to look after ourselves. Unfair, perhaps, but understandable to a degree.

3. For this reason, the likes of Citeh and the Chavs get an easier ride - people respect success, and they have earned their right to an easier ride. No-one outside Arsenal is particularly interested in how they have achieved this - and we are nowhere near deserving of the sympathy of an underdog in relation to the big money teams - we are one of them and degrees of affluence are irrelevant.

4. It is considerably easier for armchair and professional pundits alike to identify the flaws in our manager's regime, and to see that these mistakes keep coming back to bite our club season after season - than it is for the other so-called big 6 teams that people like to talk about. There is little objectively to say in defence of these flaws.

5. I think that negativity in the press reflects the negativity around our club. We have stagnated. Our style and approach to the game has stagnated and year on year there is very little for pundits and fans alike to get behind in terms of progress/hope for something different. Any 'bias' reflects this general negativity.

6. Wenger has a deserved reputation for arrogance and defensiveness. He is not unique in this approach, but again, this is something that will be glossed over where a manager is successful, and highlighted when he isn't.

7. There is and has been very little for the past decade to get really excited about. The press love a marquee signing; they love a result that defies expectations; they love something different to get behind to change the pre-existing narrative. All our main competitors have provided this in different ways. We, on the whole haven't.

Niall_Quinn
24-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Don't you think that Wenger has had a free ride from the press for a long time now? Many are still defending him and saying he's one of the greats, based not on the recent record in front of them but what he's done in the past. LVG and Maureen weren't afforded that courtesy when their time came.

Regarding the club, for me the worst bias against us is this ever enduring idea, fair or unfair, that we are soft and don't like a fight. I believe that has transferred itself onto the pitch and into the minds of referees and has actually influenced results. It's true we are all on the lookout for bias against our team, a form of bias in itself I suppose. But I'm convinced the years long, lazy media narrative about Arsenal's southern softies up against plucky old Bolton, Stoke or "dominant" Utd has cost us points and player layoffs. When we get kicked we're soft. When we kick back we have lost our discipline. And the refs play along, not with 100% consistency but with just enough bias in there to affect what is after all a game of narrow margins. How many injuries have we suffered because a ref has "encouraged the flow" of the game? How many times have we picked up the first booking of a match having been kicked from pillar to post up until the point of our first retaliation?

The campaign against Ozil has been the other, recent, notable bias. Because he hasn't performed at a world class level week-in, week-out the press has taken what have been a mix of performances ranging from excellent to average to occasionally poor and decided he's "nicking a living". The contrast with their attitude to Wayne Rooney, who has been off form for years now, is marked. Rooney can't even get a game, but this is translated as him being "too good for the bench." Their pro-Rooney bias is nothing more than irritating, but their campaign against Ozil has conceivably taken a toll on the player.

Power n Glory
24-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Fake news. Fake news. Pay it no mind.

fakeyank
24-02-2017, 04:15 PM
No media bias IMO. Frankly, I think the club and our manager do not get enough media scrutiny. If they did, we'd have at least got rid of our crooked manager, if not a significant number of morans sitting at the board. The press has usually been very kind to us (in recent years) but its time to call BS for what it is.. BS!

Letters
24-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Crooked :lol:

I'm not sure any club should have 'scrutiny'. They're not politicians, they don't have any real power over anything.

Coney
24-02-2017, 09:26 PM
Judging by the way the media talk about Wenger and the Arsenal, they must be getting their material from this place.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
24-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Alan Hansen has it in for us??

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
25-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Don't you think that Wenger has had a free ride from the press for a long time now? Many are still defending him and saying he's one of the greats, based not on the recent record in front of them but what he's done in the past. LVG and Maureen weren't afforded that courtesy when their time came.

Regarding the club, for me the worst bias against us is this ever enduring idea, fair or unfair, that we are soft and don't like a fight. I believe that has transferred itself onto the pitch and into the minds of referees and has actually influenced results. It's true we are all on the lookout for bias against our team, a form of bias in itself I suppose. But I'm convinced the years long, lazy media narrative about Arsenal's southern softies up against plucky old Bolton, Stoke or "dominant" Utd has cost us points and player layoffs. When we get kicked we're soft. When we kick back we have lost our discipline. And the refs play along, not with 100% consistency but with just enough bias in there to affect what is after all a game of narrow margins. How many injuries have we suffered because a ref has "encouraged the flow" of the game? How many times have we picked up the first booking of a match having been kicked from pillar to post up until the point of our first retaliation?

The campaign against Ozil has been the other, recent, notable bias. Because he hasn't performed at a world class level week-in, week-out the press has taken what have been a mix of performances ranging from excellent to average to occasionally poor and decided he's "nicking a living". The contrast with their attitude to Wayne Rooney, who has been off form for years now, is marked. Rooney can't even get a game, but this is translated as him being "too good for the bench." Their pro-Rooney bias is nothing more than irritating, but their campaign against Ozil has conceivably taken a toll on the player.

The soft touch Arsenal perception is one that i do very much agree with you on, and i do think that it plays into referee's minds. So if Stoke make horrific challenges on us than we are just a bunch of melts, and if we try and fight fire with fire we are acting aggressively and need to be punished.

Globalgunner
25-02-2017, 11:22 AM
When you charge the highest prices in the world for a patently inferior product. People tend to take notice. Fool some of the people.....etc.

Bumble
25-02-2017, 01:05 PM
The media love Wenger, considering the last 10 years the seasons have been ctrl+c ctrl+v and yet the media really have gone to town on this.. Pundits always talk about the great football we play.... obviously still thinking we have Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Pires etc still playing.

think the media are more anti arsenal fans than anti arsenal

Niall_Quinn
25-02-2017, 01:42 PM
The media love Wenger, considering the last 10 years the seasons have been ctrl+c ctrl+v and yet the media really have gone to town on this.. Pundits always talk about the great football we play.... obviously still thinking we have Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp, Pires etc still playing.

think the media are more anti arsenal fans than anti arsenal

Pretty much. Not only do we have no right to make demands, but we are ungrateful for not lapping up the astonishing financial achievements of the club. Can't please us. As Neville stated and stands by, we're embarrassing idiots. I wonder if he can imagine Ferguson championing the pursuit of 4th place and banging on about how rich the club was? But it ought to be good enough for the embarrassing, idiot Arsenal fans.