Your favourite place ever?

GP
05-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Bognor

Bognor

Bognor

Letters
05-04-2017, 11:53 AM
I'm actually not sure where I went last. I guess the last thing which counts as a holiday was Washington DC, went for a tech conference and MrsL came out and we stayed for a few extra days to look round.

No immediate plans but eyeing up a tech conference in August which is near Seattle, only because it's in August and just before a total solar eclipse which goes across North America this year (August 21st) and which I've had my beady eye on since the one in London in '99 which wasn't total and I found rather disappointing.

I think my favourite places are New York and Paris. More of a city person and they're both excellent examples of the genre.

Marc Overmars
05-04-2017, 01:42 PM
What was DC like? For our honeymoon we're going to do a bit of a whistle stop tour of America. Apart from the obvious, I can't imagine there is much to do and see there? Couple of nights enough?

Letters
05-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Yeah, MrsL and me just have a few days and that was fine. A week would be too long. Was impressed by DC.
I've heard good things about Chicago - looks amazing on Prison Break. You'd probably get shot, mind.

GP
05-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Dayton, Ohio is where it's at.

Letters
05-04-2017, 02:05 PM
The eclipse goes through Nashville.
Heard good things about New Orleans.
San Francisco is apparently much nicer than Las Vegas

GP
05-04-2017, 02:14 PM
Vegas is just a theme park really. It's good if you like strip clubs and gambling.

Letters
05-04-2017, 02:32 PM
I wasn't impressed with Vegas. Well, I was impressed with the scale of the place but goes in the "glad I've been, wouldn't go back" category. Had a couple of days at a ranch near the Grand Canyon and that was all kinds of awesome.
God/Blind Natural Forces* :bow:

* - delete as appropriate.

GP
05-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Yeah I did a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon. Definitely glad I did that.

Marc Overmars
05-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Grand Canyon was great. We've both been to Vegas but aren't interested in going back. I did enjoy it last time I went but being young and single probably helped. :ninja:

San Francisco, Chicago and New Orleans are all on the to do list. Would like to spend some time in Texas and Florida too. It's just piecing it all together efficiently is a bit of a ball ache.

Letters
05-04-2017, 03:10 PM
I wish I'd had more time there, could have sat there staring at it for hours.
We also did a helicopter ride, bit disappointed that it just went along the top of it and didn't go down into the Canyon itself, still all very spectacular though.
Actually, just realised my video from that is on YouTube. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWCRWO_JyVA

Letters
05-04-2017, 03:12 PM
All the theme park stuff in Florida is brilliant if you like that sort of thing. Universal :bow:
And if you're either a nerd, dweeb or geek then the Kennedy Space Centre is worth a visit.

Marc Overmars
05-04-2017, 03:36 PM
We might leave Orlando out depending on money, as all those theme parks are another holiday in itself. Though I really want to see the Harry Potter stuff at Universal. :geek:

Letters
05-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Yeah, when I went there one time they were building it but it wasn't open which was frustrating.
Was there when I went back for my honeymoon though :d
The main ride in that part is brilliant, think my favourite is the Spiderman Ride, mindblowing.
That was getting on for 5 years ago now, I'm sure they've built loads more since.
But yes, it is a holiday in itself.

LDG
05-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Chicago is awesome.

I was quite young when I went, but remember it being like NYC 2.

My favourite bit of the US will always be Michigan, just because of loads of family holidays there. Hot summers, snowy winters. Ski, beach (lake)....it's an allrounder with Detroit in the middle.

IBK
06-04-2017, 08:14 AM
All the theme park stuff in Florida is brilliant if you like that sort of thing. Universal :bow:
And if you're either a nerd, dweeb or geek then the Kennedy Space Centre is worth a visit.

Kennedy Space Centre is fantastic!

Letters
06-04-2017, 08:27 AM
Innit. The Saturn V is mind blowing.
It's ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE (like your mum).
It's incredible that the thing got off the ground, let alone into space.

IBK
06-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Innit. The Saturn V is mind blowing.
It's ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE (like your mum).
It's incredible that the thing got off the ground, let alone into space.

It's amazing. Isn't it the biggest man made machine ever prior to the Large Hadrron Collider?

Niall_Quinn
06-04-2017, 12:30 PM
It's amazing. Isn't it the biggest man made machine ever prior to the Large Hadrron Collider?

Prior to the new mini, you mean?

IBK
06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Prior to the new mini, you mean?

goes without saying...

IBK
06-04-2017, 12:33 PM
goes without saying...

But its also funny how 'Large Hadron' sounds almost like large hard-on.

GP
06-04-2017, 12:56 PM
:lol:

Large Hardon Collider was my nickname in college.

wait..

Niall_Quinn
06-04-2017, 01:45 PM
:lol:

Large Hardon Collider was my nickname in college.

wait..

Very common nickname, wouldn't read too much into it.

Marc Overmars
06-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Come on, lets have some more holiday talk.

Need something to discuss with football chat being dead on here now.

Letters
06-04-2017, 03:52 PM
MrsL reminded me (honestly couldn't remember what we did, holiday-wise last year) we went to Spain with her parents - her granddad lives there but we didn't stay with him.
We stayed in Mojacar which is on the coast but not that near anywhere famous. Was #decent.

We were actually looking at a tour in Madagascar a couple of years back. Looked pretty amazing but we chickened out in the end as it seemed a bit adventurous for us :lol:

LDG
06-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Estonia was my last holiday trip.....

Next up Lanzarote in two weeks time. Grotty Lanzarote. Love it.

Letters
06-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Been to Benalmadena a couple of times, right next to Torremalenos (sp?) and it's all "Joe's Caff" and "Irish Bar". Bit crappy really.

Marc Overmars
06-04-2017, 03:59 PM
MrsL reminded me (honestly couldn't remember what we did, holiday-wise last year) we went to Spain with her parents - her granddad lives there but we didn't stay with him.
We stayed in Mojacar which is on the coast but not that near anywhere famous. Was #decent.

We were actually looking at a tour in Madagascar a couple of years back. Looked pretty amazing but we chickened out in the end as it seemed a bit adventurous for us :lol:

Would love to see Madagascar and its wildlife. It's always been one of those places I've seen on David Attenborough shows and thought, that's amazing but does anyone actually go there?

Letters
06-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Majorca was very nice. Went there as a kid, MrsL and me went there a few years back.

Letters
06-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Would love to see Madagascar and its wildlife. It's always been one of those places I've seen on David Attenborough shows and thought, that's amazing but does anyone actually go there?

...might have been Borneo we were looking at actually :unsure:
Can't remember, one of those jungley places. Looked pretty amazing but it was this small group tour and we kinda like doing our own thing so we thought it was a bit too far out of our comfort zone.

MrsL would like to go to Australia, I'd definitely like to spend some time there and New Zealand although doubt we'll get to do that any time soon.

LDG
06-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Weird. Never used to have much money, so cheap Canary Island holidays were the best I could do really.

I have a bit more to play with these days, but the kids mean I have to go all inclusive, otherwise it's hell....so, I'm still stuck with the canary islands.

Forever doomed to Irish Bars and long scotch drinks.

Ah well.