The Verminator
17-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Someone had to start it...:tiphat:

Letters
17-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Wenger :bow:

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2017, 09:16 PM
First time we played it since 1997, apparently.

Fine against Boro but wouldn't want to try that against a decent team.

The Verminator
17-04-2017, 09:22 PM
First time we played it since 1997, apparently.

Fine against Boro but wouldn't want to try that against a decent team.

Wenger has said he won't. Personally I'm not sure. It's been working for the 2 best teams this season as much as I dislike saying Spurs are 1 of them.

As much as I pray Wenger leaves at least finally he has made a tactical change. A massive step up from same shit every week endlessly.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
17-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Look at the amount of space Boro had on our flanks, formation change won't make us play better and it certainly won't make us defensively better.....although it won't make us defensively worse.

Showcasing a formation like that against Middlesborough proves nothing, this is from an attacking point of view the worst side in the division. We'd be pulled apart like mozzarella by a competent attacking side

Marc Overmars
17-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Not sure I noticed anything different really, probably because Boro are shit and it was difficult to gauge how effective the formation was.

As usual though with the changes we make, it's too little, too late.

Niall_Quinn
17-04-2017, 10:50 PM
In a normal world (a non-Wenger world) if the defence has been playing poorly then you react. Up against the weakest offence in the league it's not too much of a risk to try a 3, see how it goes, give the players time to acclimatise in a competitive setting. In Wenger World what difference does it make? Look at the goal. They whip down the wing with pussy challenges falling around them, get the cross in and the two centre backs, up against one striker, get routed. Different formation, same story. It's not the formation that's the problem, it's the basic fundamentals of defending that we struggle with. Kos is fast, agile and can recover very well to get a challenge in. But I think he's a bit of a wimp and gets outmuscled easily. Gabriel has a bit more about him physically but he's a bit braindead positionally. Merts is pretty much gone, but he's so ridiculously slow for this league. And Mustafi is the worst waste of money I have seen in years. They could be drilled by a competent coach, but we have Wenger. So make it whatever formation you want and it won't make any difference.

AFC Leveller
18-04-2017, 07:53 AM
In a normal world (a non-Wenger world) if the defence has been playing poorly then you react. Up against the weakest offence in the league it's not too much of a risk to try a 3, see how it goes, give the players time to acclimatise in a competitive setting. In Wenger World what difference does it make? Look at the goal. They whip down the wing with pussy challenges falling around them, get the cross in and the two centre backs, up against one striker, get routed. Different formation, same story. It's not the formation that's the problem, it's the basic fundamentals of defending that we struggle with. Kos is fast, agile and can recover very well to get a challenge in. But I think he's a bit of a wimp and gets outmuscled easily. Gabriel has a bit more about him physically but he's a bit braindead positionally. Merts is pretty much gone, but he's so ridiculously slow for this league. And Mustafi is the worst waste of money I have seen in years. They could be drilled by a competent coach, but we have Wenger. So make it whatever formation you want and it won't make any difference.

Agree, esp with the Gabriel and Koscielny comparison. Negredo was up against both of them and still managed to get a free tap in.

selassie
18-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Not sure I noticed anything different really, probably because Boro are shit and it was difficult to gauge how effective the formation was.

As usual though with the changes we make, it's too little, too late.

Aye, I got to say I thought we looked a bit more lively offensively but still looked very suspect defensively...especially in that 15 minute period in the second half when they put us under a bit of pressure after their equaliser.

Definitely difficult to gauge though.

mastermind84
18-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Formation changes are cool, but does anyone think Wenger emphasized positional play? Probably not.