PDA

View Full Version : NLD (Sunday)

Chippy
27-04-2017, 10:27 AM
This weekend’s NLD takes on a whole new meaning in my opinion.

St Tottering’s day is no longer a calendar event, and will probably be the same for the next few years :(

The power shift is underway so we need to find a way to beat them in order to bring them down a peg or two.

Finally, they are still in with a shout to win the league. How nice would it be if we ended their winning run and ended their title dream :)

(Just heard that Kos is a big doubt, oh dear). :(

Letters
27-04-2017, 10:40 AM
I'd take a point right now.
Don't believe we have any chance of winning there.
Their record at home is P17 W15 D2 L0 F43 A8

Chippy
27-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Thanks for cheering me up Letters :crying:

Letters
27-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Sorry :hug:

It's pretty upsetting but were it not for Chelsea going mental they'd be hot favourites to be champions. I hope we can put a dent in that on Sunday though.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Interestingly, the pressure is on them for a change. They know they're expected to win but how they deal with that will be telling

Not very optimistic but we have to do everything we can to halt their title challenge. I can accept that St Totts day is cancelled this year but for the love of god them winning the league is the stuff of nightmares.

Letters
27-04-2017, 11:06 AM
The pressure was on last night and they won...ah screw it, we're going to lose aren't we?
Still think Spurs have it all to do, they have the far harder run in and are mostly away from home (where Chelsea are mostly at home) but they are the real deal right now.
Piss off, Wenger! :angry:

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Form will (or bloody should) go out the window for the NLD. 50/50 as things stand.

But it depends who's ref if those odds are not to shift 100% away from us and towards Darling Alli Hotspur and the media wank session.

And, of course, there's Wenger to overcome. Could he, for once, just do the standard football things and pick the best side available and the most suitable formation and set out some rudimentary tactics (such as, try defending the goal, shoot at their goal,..)? I doubt it but perhaps even he will realise this is probably the final aspect of this season most fans give a flying fuck about. Could he get the fuck out of the way for just one match?

If we get a fair crack then we have just as much chance of winning as losing.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: S Bennett, J Collin
Fourth official: A Marriner

I'll take that. Not happy about the assistants but the ref and 4th official should be okay.

Letters
27-04-2017, 11:40 AM
Form will (or bloody should) go out the window for the NLD. 50/50 as things stand.
They say that, don't they?
"Form goes out of the window for a derby".
It doesn't really, or ability certainly doesn't. Back in the day when we were a much better side than them we never lost a NLD because we were by far the better side.
Now, sadly, they are so we now rarely beat them. A point at best.

Marc Overmars
27-04-2017, 11:43 AM
The pressure was on last night and they won...ah screw it, we're going to lose aren't we?
Still think Spurs have it all to do, they have the far harder run in and are mostly away from home (where Chelsea are mostly at home) but they are the real deal right now.
Piss off, Wenger! :angry:

Chelsea should win it but with this wave of momentum behind them and some ridiculously in-form players, I think Spurs have the beating of everyone in this league. They are solid from back to front.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-04-2017, 12:18 PM
they weren't brilliant last night, they needed Eriken's solo effort to get past Palace....they looked a bit tired and lacking in ideas

Spurs play well as a team, they are extremely well drilled and play a good pressing game which against most sides in the league is quite effective. But Chelsea wore them down in the fa cup semi final and won comfortably in the end.

How we perform against Spurs will be determined by how we start the game, if we keep the game goalless as long as possible i would even fancy us to nick it however as we know that's a very big IF.

Letters
27-04-2017, 12:19 PM
if we keep the game goalless as long as possible.
:haha:

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2017, 12:31 PM
How we perform against Spurs will be determined by how we start the game...

Fuck, I hope not! We're doomed if that's how it plays out.

Letters
27-04-2017, 12:34 PM
The only good thing about this game is it's on a Bank Holiday Weekend so I won't have to come into the office on Monday.
Not that we have any particularly rabid Spurs fans here any more. But still... <_<

selassie
27-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Me too.

Let's face it, they trump us in every single position these days, that's the sad truth, they are better than us and by some distance IMO. They are very organised too...it's not the Spuds of old who would roll over, this Spuds team is a totally different type of challenge.

We won't be going there and picking up 3 points, I would be very happy with a point which would put a dent in their title charge.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
27-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Calm down guys, they won't win the league. The game will probably be a draw.

Chippy
27-04-2017, 01:47 PM
:haha:

Could someone please return the real Letters?:(

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Could someone please return the real Letters?:(

No. He had his chance.

Letters
27-04-2017, 02:59 PM
#LettersOut

fakeyank
27-04-2017, 03:11 PM
What will be good for Arsenal football club will be absolute spanking from the Sp*rs. A win or a draw will be hailed as some sort of achievement, which it is not.

Letters
27-04-2017, 03:13 PM
There speaks someone who doesn't live in London.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Winning at White Hart Lane is of course an achievement

Letters
27-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Certainly this season. They beat Chelsea there.
It's not a "all is forgiven, Wenger" level achievement but no-one is suggesting it is.

Özim
27-04-2017, 03:48 PM
Form and quality of the team doesn't play a big part in the NLD unless there is a chasm in class. They're clearly better than us, they look a much better team, are more balanced and have a better manager, but pressure, the fact it's a derby play a big part, they're expected to win and that weight heavily on teams.

I reckon it will probably be a draw, not because we're anywhere near as good as them but because of the nature of the game and the pressure on them and at this time of the season games tend to be tight as players tend to be a bit more tired. It's what I was referring to with the mini run, can see us scraping a few draws against the top teams despite being outperformed and then Wenger coming away from the season please with his seasons' work.

Niall_Quinn
27-04-2017, 04:40 PM
He's already pleased with himself and the great spirit we have shown during this 367th bounce back. And when it all plunges back into the pit again he'll say we need to show spirit and bounce back. And then we'll do that for a short while and he'll be chuffed again. And on it will go, bounce, plunge, bounce, plunge, the Wenger Cycle. At least 2 more years in yoyo mode, happy half the time, determined (following secret meetings) the rest of it. The 4th place trophy challenge, the spanking in the CL knockout stage, almost signing every star player, hanging on to second rate players and claiming they are world beaters. Everyone is painfully aware of the routine by now.

fakeyank
27-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Certainly this season. They beat Chelsea there.
It's not a "all is forgiven, Wenger" level achievement but no-one is suggesting it is.

Problem is.. it will be spun as "all is forgiven, Wenger" level achievement. Frankly, people who want him to stay can spin anything and everything to make it seem like he is the greatest messiah to this football club.

Xhaka Can’t
27-04-2017, 06:35 PM

https://m.imgur.com/r/whitepeoplegifs/SF8MzIP

Xhaka Can’t
27-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Problem is.. it will be spun as "all is forgiven, Wenger" level achievement. Frankly, people who want him to stay can spin anything and everything to make it seem like he is the greatest messiah to this football club.

You are seriously misjudging the mood here.

There is no way back for Wenger as far as most fans are concerned.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-04-2017, 06:43 PM

So by that logic they will spin it whatever happens

If Wenger wasn't going to be here next season we'd know by now. So this agonising over whether a result buys him credibility largely makes no sense. Wanting the team to win doesn't mean backing the manager and constantly worrying that it will strengthen his hand is just silly, that decision is well outside of our control.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
27-04-2017, 06:48 PM
You are seriously misjudging the mood here.

There is no way back for Wenger as far as most fans are concerned.

Not sure about that you know. I think this season has drawn in a larger group of people who now won't be persuaded that he can turn things around long term.
But if things start to settle in terms of results, the protestations will become less vociferous. People will be angry if he signs a new deal but they'll accept there is nothing they can do about it.

If however we lose on Sunday, lose to United, lose to stoke, lose the FA cup final.....any attempt to renew his contract and you will see absolute outrage.

He's bought himself time, but he's still on a very narrow tightrope.

Xhaka Can’t
27-04-2017, 06:54 PM
He is done. Look at that crowd last night. And by all accounts the answer to "are you not entertained" was pretty obvious.

To be honest I doubt he is even capable of getting the results to settle down.

Letters
28-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Problem is.. it will be spun as "all is forgiven, Wenger" level achievement.
By who?

Frankly, people who want him to stay can spin anything and everything to make it seem like he is the greatest messiah to this football club.
In the same way people who believe Wenger is the worst manager in world football (an equally absurd suggestion as yours, and, like yours, one not really believed by anyone) spin anything and everything to suit their agenda.
And so what? People will always spin things to suit their agenda.

Very few people want Wenger to stay now whatever happens this season and frankly we don't have any power to affect change anyway.
I'd like us to finish top 4 and win the FA Cup and Wenger to go out on a high. I don't think any of those things will happen.

Letters
28-04-2017, 08:30 AM
He is done. Look at that crowd last night. And by all accounts the answer to "are you not entertained" was pretty obvious.

To be honest I doubt he is even capable of getting the results to settle down.

Let's face it, he's going to be here next year. And unless he does the Double it's not going to change many people's minds.
And if he does than people like FY and Zim will just double down and say he got lucky anyway.
Cognitive dissonance :bow:

Özim
28-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Very few people want Wenger to stay now whatever happens this season and frankly we don't have any power to affect change anyway.
I'd like us to finish top 4 and win the FA Cup and Wenger to go out on a high. I don't think any of those things will happen.

Sadly that can't be quantified, he still seems to have his supporters, the bigger issue is that with every win he anger subsisdes people start seeing change and aren't that bothered whether he stays anymore, people are even noticing changes in tactics now as a sign of him changing.

We've seen anger before, yes maybe not on this scale but that subsided quickly enough after a few wins and it does appear to be happening again with every positive result, we're also seeing Wenger come out with some smug comments about proving people wrong, hunger and togetherness.

The way I see it in the last couple games we've won and there doesn't seem to be so many saying it's time for Wenger to go, so if anything it's becoming easier for him to stay and fan pressure is disapearing again. Nothing seems to stick to this guy.

Özim
28-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Let's face it, he's going to be here next year. And unless he does the Double it's not going to change many people's minds.
And if he does than people like FY and Zim will just double down and say he got lucky anyway.

That might be true but that doesn't mean people should just keep quiet and accept it, they can still make the same noises they were a couple weeks ago, if they appear content and don't voice their feelings about him anymore it makes his life and signing a contract much easier for him.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 08:53 AM

That's not what cognitive dissonance is.

Wenger actually is the worst manager in football and considering he's proved it beyond doubt this season I'm not sure why you find that rather obvious statement troubling. I explained elsewhere why he's the worst manager in the game. Tell me why he isn't and name a single manager who's inferior. In fairness, this isn't entirely Wenger's fault because the managerial role at Arsenal is ludicrous beyond words and the board members here deserve comprehensive condemnation for abdicating all their responsibilities (except taking the cash). It's a total shit show and there's nothing like it anywhere else in the football world, nor will their ever be anything like it in the future given this cautionary tale.

Letters
28-04-2017, 09:04 AM
The way I see it in the last couple games we've won and there doesn't seem to be so many saying it's time for Wenger to go, so if anything it's becoming easier for him to stay and fan pressure is disapearing again. Nothing seems to stick to this guy.
Who on here has said he should stay after those wins? I haven't, and you know I've been more patient than most.
Of course the anger will subside after a few wins. You always say how arrogant Wenger is, now you think a few boos or chants from fans will make him reconsider whether to sign a new contract?

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 09:06 AM
Sadly that can't be quantified, he still seems to have his supporters, the bigger issue is that with every win he anger subsisdes people start seeing change and aren't that bothered whether he stays anymore, people are even noticing changes in tactics now as a sign of him changing.

We've seen anger before, yes maybe not on this scale but that subsided quickly enough after a few wins and it does appear to be happening again with every positive result, we're also seeing Wenger come out with some smug comments about proving people wrong, hunger and togetherness.

Football fans live in hope and everything is relative. When massive investment is poured into anything, investors expect a return. The fans are the major investors at this club, something routinely overlooked. They pay the world record ticket prices, they buy the merchandise, they pay the sky high TV subscription packages, the buy goods and services from the sponsors. The official "investors", like Kroenke, shuffle money around but they actually invest nothing. He's parked his money here like it's a savings account with a 100% interest rate. Easy money and zero risk in boom (before the bust) industry. His only risk is knowing when to get in (insider information no doubt) and knowing when to get out (ditto). So the fans have a big emotional attachment as well as a big financial attachment, one way or the other. The fans are the ones who yearn to see the club do well, not for the cash return that will never come, but for intangibles, joy, bragging rights, tribal supremacy, (dare I whisper it) entertainment... On that basis fans are pretty delusional to begin with, investing their all in a sport hijacked by emotionless sharks. So the odd win here and there will fuel the delusion, even though we all know deep down that nothing can ever come from our risk averse owners or our cash obsessed manager. I think the fans who start mellowing as the results improve are not trying to pretend we are solving problems or making progress, I think they are consoling themselves with the thought that if they can't scrape a little return from a Cup and a few wins to see out a horrible season then there's probably no point being involved. Ollie Holt, Chris Wenger and Ty are probably the last people on the planet who genuinely view Wenger as credible.

Letters
28-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Wenger actually is the worst manager in football and considering he's proved it beyond doubt this season.
You think this season has proved something about which there is no objective measure?
Interesting.

PS: Reading a book about (partly) about cognitive dissonance at the moment, this place is a hotbed of it.

Özim
28-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Who on here has said he should stay after those wins? I haven't, and you know I've been more patient than most.
Of course the anger will subside after a few wins. You always say how arrogant Wenger is, now you think a few boos or chants from fans will make him reconsider whether to sign a new contract?

I wasn't necessarily referrring to people on here more the fans at the games that get interviewed really and those are the one who have the most impact. Yes I do think he's arrogant, but pressure does affect how you feel, you could see it in his interviews when we were losing, now after a win or two he's back to being the old Wenger, I know he doesn't care either way, but ultimately unhappy fans leads to poor attendances and less money and the club then become concerned which then puts pressure on the manager.

Özim
28-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Football fans live in hope and everything is relative. When massive investment is poured into anything, investors expect a return. The fans are the major investors at this club, something routinely overlooked. They pay the world record ticket prices, they buy the merchandise, they pay the sky high TV subscription packages, the buy goods and services from the sponsors. The official "investors", like Kroenke, shuffle money around but they actually invest nothing. He's parked his money here like it's a savings account with a 100% interest rate. Easy money and zero risk in boom (before the bust) industry. His only risk is knowing when to get in (insider information no doubt) and knowing when to get out (ditto). So the fans have a big emotional attachment as well as a big financial attachment, one way or the other. The fans are the ones who yearn to see the club do well, not for the cash return that will never come, but for intangibles, joy, bragging rights, tribal supremacy, (dare I whisper it) entertainment... On that basis fans are pretty delusional to begin with, investing their all in a sport hijacked by emotionless sharks. So the odd win here and there will fuel the delusion, even though we all know deep down that nothing can ever come from our risk averse owners or our cash obsessed manager. I think the fans who start mellowing as the results improve are not trying to pretend we are solving problems or making progress, I think they are consoling themselves with the thought that if they can't scrape a little return from a Cup and a few wins to see out a horrible season then there's probably no point being involved. Ollie Holt, Chris Wenger and Ty are probably the last people on the planet who genuinely view Wenger as credible.

I don't disagree with any of that, my only point really is that this makes Wengers' life easier and signing a contract easier, it shouldn't be easy he should feel reall pressure and be held responsible for the disaster that has been unfolding in front of us, what seems to be happening is that he's getting off scot-free again, seems there's nothing he can do that really results in people unwilling to accept him still being here and making his stay here untenable.

Letters
28-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Most impact in what way Zim? Most people look at Ty and think "what a dick!" not "well, he certainly makes some interesting points".
Agree that the only pressure will come when revenues fall, the board don't care about boos in the ground - if they're in the ground then people have still paid to be there. People not being there affects the balance sheet and that's when the board may sit up and take notice.

Power n Glory
28-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Can't confuse apathy with support. Can't have blood and hell fire from the fans every match.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 09:52 AM
You think this season has proved something about which there is no objective measure?
Interesting.

PS: Reading a book about (partly) about cognitive dissonance at the moment, this place is a hotbed of it.

There is no objective measure for the performance of a football manager? Are you serious? A manager has targets and a set amount of resources to work with. It is uncharacteristically simple to measure performance in sport. Wenger has failed in all respects this season, so far at least. Or am I wrong and, if so, how? And he may well fail in achieving the only target that counts at this club, the coveted Top 4 Trophy that leads to the bonus cash. And if he fails in that there will be consequences and knock-on failures. It's a scandal how poor he's been this season. Any other manager who has come close to being so poor has been given the push. Not Wenger though, for one reason and one reason alone - he's a cash cow for the non-footballing bastards upstairs. A willing cash cow, I should add. A cash cow that boasts about being a cash cow, with his prudence and sustainability bullshit as if he's some fund manager rather than the manager of a supposedly competitive sports outfit.

Wenger's target, every season, is financial. And he accepts that and thrives on it. THAT's what makes him the worst football manager in the world. He's not really a football manager at all. Do you see how by achieving his targets, season after season, he has become an anti-football man and a non-football manager? That's why he's the worst, because he's a massive fraud. We've seen how he performs when he tries to hit football oriented targets - we've all felt those humiliations as they have rolled in with alarming regularity.

He sold his soul. Look at the difference between the guy who arrived here and the guy he is now. Shame (as in, shame on him).

PS: That's irony, right?

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Maybe season tickets should be banned in football. Make the cunts earn their revenue week-in, week-out. Would certainly focus a few minds.

Letters
28-04-2017, 10:51 AM
There is no objective measure for the performance of a football manager? Are you serious? A manager has targets and a set amount of resources to work with.
Yes, and every manager has different resources to work with in different situations so it's very hard to compare one manager to another in any objective way.

A manager in a lower league may be doing wonders with the resources he has, does that mean were he to replace Wenger (or any other manager at a top club) he would be doing better? Probably not, it's not as simple as that, the competition is at a higher level so the same manager might not do as well.

Looking at Leicester's resources what they did last year was incredible. So does that make Ranieri the best manager in world football? What about this season? They were flirting with a relegation battle before he left.

It is simple to measure performance in sport - you either win or you lose - but it's not so simple to look at the reasons behind that performance and measure performance of the people involved. You were laughing at the choice of referee for the FA Cup Final. If we lose that because we play poorly and Chelsea are just better than us then it would be fair to blame Wenger. If we play well, match them toe to toe and the ref decides to give Chelsea 2 soft penalties while denying us clear ones then it's less clear cut how much blame you can lay at Wenger's door.

Wenger has failed this season, as he did last season. That much is clear.
But there is no objective measure of how "good" or "bad" a manager is, that is subjective and there are a lot of factors to consider. It's why there will always be debates about who the "best" player or manager or club are, it's rarely clear cut.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Yes, and every manager has different resources to work with in different situations so it's very hard to compare one manager to another in any objective way.

A manager in a lower league may be doing wonders with the resources he has, does that mean were he to replace Wenger (or any other manager at a top club) he would be doing better? Probably not, it's not as simple as that, the competition is at a higher level so the same manager might not do as well.

Looking at Leicester's resources what they did last year was incredible. So does that make Ranieri the best manager in world football? What about this season? They were flirting with a relegation battle before he left.

It is simple to measure performance in sport - you either win or you lose - but it's not so simple to look at the reasons behind that performance and measure performance of the people involved. You were laughing at the choice of referee for the FA Cup Final. If we lose that because we play poorly and Chelsea are just better than us then it would be fair to blame Wenger. If we play well, match them toe to toe and the ref decides to give Chelsea 2 soft penalties while denying us clear ones then it's less clear cut how much blame you can lay at Wenger's door.

Wenger has failed this season, as he did last season. That much is clear.
But there is no objective measure of how "good" or "bad" a manager is, that is subjective and there are a lot of factors to consider. It's why there will always be debates about who the "best" player or manager or club are, it's rarely clear cut.

Wenger has been failing for a decade. How long before we can say, on average, he's a total fuck-up? I didn't imply a lower division manager could come here and do a better job. I said Wenger's the worst manager in football - doing his job and hitting his targets, in relation to other managers doing their jobs and hitting their targets. We know what his job is and he's failed to do it for an incomparable length of time. I didn't say he was the least talented or least experienced, I said he was the worst and plainly he is.

But... Given his actual target is to make cash for a bunch of leeches, yes, in terms of what the leeches want he's the best in the business. Which still makes him the worst football manager in the world. And a sell out.

Letters
28-04-2017, 04:09 PM
He's been failing for a decade, yet 3 years ago you were happy when he signed a new contract.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-04-2017, 05:09 PM
But the conditions by which you claim he's the worst manager in football are totally arbitrary

He has failed to meet the expectations of fans or the rather extravagant promises made by Ivan Gazidis

He has failed to push the club further

To be the worst manager in football, he would have to have taken everything he's built and ruined it. Now objectively despite the constant frustration with the man are we really in a state of ruination?. Wenger has worn out his welcome with the fans but the question ultimately is would most top managers want to come here.

And I think the answer to that is yes. If he was the worst manager in football the club would be in a state where we would be desirable to no one.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 06:05 PM
He's been failing for a decade, yet 3 years ago you were happy when he signed a new contract.

You keep on saying that as if it has never been addressed. I was happy with the progress when we started signing some decent players and was okay with him getting the chance to show what he could do with some money. Well fuck me, now we know. He's a bigger disaster with the cash than without it. But you are right, he has been failing for longer than a decade. I lost track.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 06:08 PM
But the conditions by which you claim he's the worst manager in football are totally arbitrary

He has failed to meet the expectations of fans or the rather extravagant promises made by Ivan Gazidis

He has failed to push the club further

To be the worst manager in football, he would have to have taken everything he's built and ruined it. Now objectively despite the constant frustration with the man are we really in a state of ruination?. Wenger has worn out his welcome with the fans but the question ultimately is would most top managers want to come here.

And I think the answer to that is yes. If he was the worst manager in football the club would be in a state where we would be desirable to no one.

I didn't say we were the worst club in football either. This man hasn't got within a sniff a title challenge (let alone an actual title) in how many years? And now we're on the brink of falling behind yet another rival. He's a man with literally total control, a ton of resources and he's taking us backwards. I don't see how he can't be called the worst manager in the game. Who else has wasted what he's wasted and delivered fuck all for so long. Name somebody.

Xhaka Can’t
28-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Just about everyone still on this forum.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 06:30 PM
Just about everyone still on this forum.

Obviously I meant apart from us.

fakeyank
28-04-2017, 07:42 PM
By who?

In the same way people who believe Wenger is the worst manager in world football (an equally absurd suggestion as yours, and, like yours, one not really believed by anyone) spin anything and everything to suit their agenda.
And so what? People will always spin things to suit their agenda.

Let's take a hypothetical scenario and say we get beat 10-0 by Spurs. You think that will not bring change? Or let's take a more realistic possibility of Spurs winning the title.. you think if they win the league, Wenger will have a rock to hide behind? A narrow loss, draw or an unlikely win will only result in him staying longer. If us getting tonked by them means there is a 0.01% extra possibility of him leaving, I am all for that.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Wait what, wishing the Spuds to tonk us?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-04-2017, 08:10 PM
I didn't say we were the worst club in football either. This man hasn't got within a sniff a title challenge (let alone an actual title) in how many years? And now we're on the brink of falling behind yet another rival. He's a man with literally total control, a ton of resources and he's taking us backwards. I don't see how he can't be called the worst manager in the game. Who else has wasted what he's wasted and delivered fuck all for so long. Name somebody.

But that's totally arbitrary as well. By that measure considering city's league position is not that much better than ours and considering the money spent by Guardiola and the fact that they won't win anything this season he must be a far worse manager than Wenger.

That would make Louis Van Gaal the worst manager in football for the season or two before that considering what he spent.

Wenger is unable to take us further of that we know, but your statement is predicated on there being no manager in football who could have spent what he spent and not achieved more and that's just shite and you know it is.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 08:19 PM
But that's totally arbitrary as well. By that measure considering city's league position is not that much better than ours and considering the money spent by Guardiola and the fact that they won't win anything this season he must be a far worse manager than Wenger.

That would make Louis Van Gaal the worst manager in football for the season or two before that considering what he spent.

Wenger is unable to take us further of that we know, but your statement is predicated on there being no manager in football who could have spent what he spent and not achieved more and that's just shite and you know it is.

If Guardiola fucks up for the next 13 years then sure, he'll be on Wenger's level. And van Gaal was rightfully sacked. Thus, once again leaving Wenger as the worst manager in football. Look at his record FFS!

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
28-04-2017, 08:36 PM
If Guardiola fucks up for the next 13 years then sure, he'll be on Wenger's level. And van Gaal was rightfully sacked. Thus, once again leaving Wenger as the worst manager in football. Look at his record FFS!

But if you're looking at it from comparative spending to achievement his record between 2008 and 2014 has been consistently above average. Is there justifiable frustration that despite whether he spends loads or nothing at all he can't make the push to make us competitive yes, but again whether you're talking about a year or 13 years your contention is based upon no other manager in the game failing to do more than what Wenger has whilst being in the same position and I say again it's nonsense.

It's a fatuous remark.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 10:13 PM
But if you're looking at it from comparative spending to achievement his record between 2008 and 2014 has been consistently above average. Is there justifiable frustration that despite whether he spends loads or nothing at all he can't make the push to make us competitive yes, but again whether you're talking about a year or 13 years your contention is based upon no other manager in the game failing to do more than what Wenger has whilst being in the same position and I say again it's nonsense.

It's a fatuous remark.

His record between 2008 and 2014? No titles, no challenges, no effort of note in the CL? That's HIS record, not some other guy's who might have been in his place. Why do we have to imagine what might have happened? We can see what actually did happen. And he's had plenty of money now and incredibly made things worse. So why do we assume if he had more cash earlier on he'd have done a damn thing to make a difference? He had plenty of cash anyway. Not as much as some but plenty more than most. And he still couldn't beat Leicester City to a title. There have been some truly terrible managers in the PL but they all got the chop. Wenger remains. By a process of elimination he's the worst. And so far nobody has provided a name, other than Guardiola, in his first year in a new league, and van Gaal - sacked. Imagine if van Gaal was still there and then went on fucking up for another half decade. We'd laugh our arses off at the ridiculousness of it all, but we'd still be rubbing our hands in glee as we watched a rival get fucked up by an incompetent. Well the laugh's on us. Literally, other fans are rolling on the floor and praying Wenger stays. Hardly the sign of a good manager, is it? Or even a credible one.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 10:20 PM
My God, listen to him :doh:

Is it any wonder?

'You cannot say the weight of one year has the weight of 20,' said Wenger. 'I answered the question of shift for 18 consecutive years, nothing changes in that.

'The priority for us is to finish in the top four. After that, for pride and the continuity of our achievements.

'Yes, we want to fight to be in front of Spurs but first of all what is important is to finish in the top four.'

'If, if, if,' said Wenger. 'We live with the when. It's true that we have to respond to: "If the worst happens what do you do?" Let's make sure the best happens and give everything to make sure we finish in a strong way our season.

'It's one of the few times where Spurs in people's minds are favourites. It looks like that but it doesn't matter too much to me.

'I focus on Arsenal. What happens to Spurs is not for me to comment about. We have big Premier League games and an FA Cup final to prepare. We have to focus on us.'

'We watched him [Dele Alli] many, many times,' he said. 'He played at Milton Keynes which is just down the road.

'They've done well to buy him and give him a chance. They deserve credit for that.

'He has done extremely well and he has developed into complete player, very dangerous, scores goal, absolutely marvellous at his age.'

It will be the last derby at White Hart Lane before the old stadium is demolished to make way for a new one.

'I'm not in a position where the sentiment comes in too much,' said Wenger. 'I'm told I'm playing in 50 London derbies and there are some special ones in there.

'I'm not in a mode today to reflect. Maybe one day I will write a book just about the derbies.

'It's important we're ready for the fight. We have to prepare for a physical game. Usually they are highly committed.'

'We have shown persistence and tenacity and desire to win and keep going,' said Wenger.

'We play for our future. And to continue our run. We know what is needed. On that front it is quite simple. We will not sit back, we try to go forward and win the game.'

We will not sit back, we try to go forward and win the game.

:wacko:

At least we can add Alli to the Almost Eleven. That's the last one, I think.

Chippy
28-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Let's take a hypothetical scenario and say we get beat 10-0 by Spurs. You think that will not bring change? Or let's take a more realistic possibility of Spurs winning the title.. you think if they win the league, Wenger will have a rock to hide behind? A narrow loss, draw or an unlikely win will only result in him staying longer. If us getting tonked by them means there is a 0.01% extra possibility of him leaving, I am all for that.

Spurs winning the title ....... How fucking depressing! Anything but that, please!:pray:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
28-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Chelsea will win the league.

Niall_Quinn
28-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Chelsea will win the league.

Not if we beat them to it!

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2017, 02:13 AM
Not if we beat them to it!

We will have to be more prolific in front of goal if we're going to make up the goal difference.

Penguin
29-04-2017, 08:55 AM
I think this will be a draw. We've slowly started picking up results and everyone thinks Spurs are the favourites tomorrow - that will work in our favour. We can afford to be a bit more cautious and they will have to take the initiative to win the match.

We absolutely have to make sure they don't win. The thought of them winning the league...

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Even if they beat us....the chavs will win it.

AFC Leveller
29-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Wenher's record in the NLD is really good (lost 7 of 49) and his teams always turn up against Spurs so I expect a good performance and possible a draw.

If we concede first and early then it could be a long afternoon but we have to score first and defend properly (lol) for the entire game.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-04-2017, 09:06 AM
It is usually down to the sides simply trying to out score each other rather than scoring and holding tight. The ocassion and nerves involved means one side rarely holds tight the entire 90 defensively......though of course there is the odd 1 nil or 0-0 result.

Penguin
29-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Normally yeah, but Pochettino's spurs are a lot more structured and defensively solid than most of sides they've had over the years. They've conceded the least goals in the league this season. I can't remember any crazy 5-4 or 3-3 derbys since he took charge, they're usually tight games.

That said, both sides do need the points so if we're level in the last 15 minutes both sides might go for it. I hope Wenger doesn't do anything stupid.

Xhaka Can’t
29-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Pochettino is a game changer. His impact on Spurs in terms of mentality and performance has been the closest thing resembling the impact Wenger had when he arrived with us.

While they have not quite reached the heights that we did, they are one of the few teams I'd consider shelling out money to watch.

Letters
29-04-2017, 12:55 PM
You keep on saying that as if it has never been addressed. I was happy with the progress when we started signing some decent players and was okay with him getting the chance to show what he could do with some money. Well fuck me, now we know. He's a bigger disaster with the cash than without it. But you are right, he has been failing for longer than a decade. I lost track.

You haven't addressed it, or rather you've attempted to but it makes no sense.
So you think he's been failing for longer than a decade. So
a) You think pretty much the moment the Invincibles season finished he started failing.
b) You were happy for a manager who you thought had been failing for over 7 years to sign a new contract.
c) Your justification for that was because we won a trophy you don't care about.

:lol:

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2017, 04:49 PM
You haven't addressed it, or rather you've attempted to but it makes no sense.
So you think he's been failing for longer than a decade. So
a) You think pretty much the moment the Invincibles season finished he started failing.
b) You were happy for a manager who you thought had been failing for over 7 years to sign a new contract.
c) Your justification for that was because we won a trophy you don't care about.

:lol:

I was happy with the progress when we started signing some decent players and was okay with him getting the chance to show what he could do with some money. Well fuck me, now we know.

To which you respond:

Your justification for that was because we won a trophy you don't care about.

The way you revel in your own deceit is remarkable.

Letters
29-04-2017, 08:58 PM
You missed out quite a lot of my response. You constantly contradict yourself. "We need 2 new players", "We need a complete new team" :lol:
You're either a liar, a WUM or an idiot. Possibly a bit of all of those.
:tiphat:

Niall_Quinn
29-04-2017, 11:04 PM
You missed out quite a lot of my response. You constantly contradict yourself. "We need 2 new players", "We need a complete new team" :lol:
You're either a liar, a WUM or an idiot. Possibly a bit of all of those.
:tiphat:

Two new players also discussed and answered in prior postings, recently, as you are already aware. But your constant quest for Internet points discounts that I guess. The Tory Christian talking about contradictions. Priceless entertainment.

Edinburgh Gooner
30-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Anyone have a sky link? Can only get American coverage

GP
30-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Anyone have a sky link? Can only get American coverage

https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6295/tottenham-hotspur-46_vs_arsenal-8

Edinburgh Gooner
30-04-2017, 03:33 PM
https://soccerstreams.net/streams/6295/tottenham-hotspur-46_vs_arsenal-8

Cheers