PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction v Man Utd (home)

McNamara That Ghost...
07-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Satan keeps giving us lifelines.

We gave Mourinho a good beating, which is nice.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Souness in ruins. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Says something when you have to rely on Redknapp for a bit of balance.

McNamara That Ghost...
07-05-2017, 05:05 PM
And Mourinho is crying. :lol:

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Maureen celebrating a great win. :wacko:

GP
07-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Mourinho :lol:

What a loser.

dostoy
07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
It means nothing unless Arsenal win every league game now.

It does not mean much anyway.

WENGER OUT PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Dicks and chicks
07-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Crap performance. Ramsey needs to go , welbeck does as well , so do does Gibbs. Sack Wenger. We were lucky to wib

Marc Overmars
07-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Haven't seen any of the game but well done to the old goat for finally taking 3 points off Mourinho.

Gooner23
07-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Utd were really poor.

Pleased we won but it wasn't a performance to get all that excited about.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-05-2017, 05:54 PM
In comparison to how we played against Spurs a vastly improved performance, no it wasn't fantastic but Ramsey, Welbeck, Xhaka and Ozil played well for once.

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2017, 06:09 PM
If we win all our remaining games, grab a 4th place trophy and win the FA Cup then, Wenger needs to go. If we don't achieve at least that much then he needs to go.

Letters
07-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Would be kinda funny if we somehow still contrive to finish 4th :lol:

I'll take whatever scraps of comfort I can get right now, and this was a pretty tasty one.

Mourinho :pal:

McNamara That Ghost...
07-05-2017, 06:21 PM
And asked by Jonathan [Pearce] whether they will be speaking to each other again next season?

"You want me to work for the BBC?"

:unsure:

GP
07-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Would be kinda funny if we somehow still contrive to finish 4th :lol:

I'll take whatever scraps of comfort I can get right now, and this was a pretty tasty one.

:gp:

Le Pen :pal:

mastermind84
07-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Ramsey's best match in a long while.

Ozil was really good as well.

Good result, not the best performance but its good to beat Mourinho.

Power n Glory
07-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Besides using a bit of his pace in the second half, that was a bog standard performance from Ozil.

Welbeck scored the header but still not convinced he's a striker. Ramsey had a better game but should have scored. Execution always lets him down.

Good first half from Sanchez. Quiet second half. I think Wenger instructed the players to stay wide to try and stretch them. Holding and Kos had good games. Kept Utd quiet.

But Utd were pretty shit. They let us have the ball and chose to sit deep instead of closing us down in the middle like Spurs did. But 3 points in the bad. Decent performance but nothing really to go crazy over.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-05-2017, 07:47 PM
United have been unbeaten a long time and the only glaring absence was Pogba (who's influence is questionable) so credit where it's due to the team. It could and should have been 3/4 nil too.

I thought, Ramsey, Ozil and Xhaka were all exceptional.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-05-2017, 07:49 PM
United have destroyed us with worse teams than the one today.

Marc Overmars
07-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Wenger in I reckon.

Power n Glory
07-05-2017, 08:09 PM
United have been unbeaten a long time and the only glaring absence was Pogba (who's influence is questionable) so credit where it's due to the team. It could and should have been 3/4 nil too.

I thought, Ramsey, Ozil and Xhaka were all exceptional.

I wouldn't say exceptional. Ramsey was one of the better performers and Xhaka got better in the 2nd half. Ozil was hardly a threat. A 6/10 performance for him.

United have destroyed us with worse teams than the one today.

We looked switched on defensively and weren't vulnerable to the counter attack. A good game from the CB's. They weren't making mistakes. Sanchez created the best chances and if Ramsey would have put them away, I wouldn't mention Ramsey's execution today.

Some of the through balls Sanchez threaded through to Ramsey in the first half is what I don't see enough from Ozil.

Xhaka Can’t
07-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Crap performance. Ramsey needs to go , welbeck does as well , so do does Gibbs. Sack Wenger. We were lucky to wib

Well tbf, it is about time we got a wib.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
07-05-2017, 09:06 PM
If we win all our remaining games, grab a 4th place trophy and win the FA Cup then, Wenger needs to go. If we don't achieve at least that much then he needs to go.

Yarp

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2017, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't say exceptional. Ramsey was one of the better performers and Xhaka got better in the 2nd half. Ozil was hardly a threat. A 6/10 performance for him.

We looked switched on defensively and weren't vulnerable to the counter attack. A good game from the CB's. They weren't making mistakes. Sanchez created the best chances and if Ramsey would have put them away, I wouldn't mention Ramsey's execution today.

Some of the through balls Sanchez threaded through to Ramsey in the first half is what I don't see enough from Ozil.

You've got to stop with the Ozil thing, it's silly. He played well today. People say he goes missing from the big games, well he was present and correct today.

Power n Glory
07-05-2017, 09:47 PM
You've got to stop with the Ozil thing, it's silly. He played well today. People say he goes missing from the big games, well he was present and correct today.

6/10 performance. Nothing special. A good team performance overall. I'll give credit to Wenger for sending the team out with the right mentality. Nobody really stood out but everyone put an effort in.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
07-05-2017, 10:10 PM

I'm sorry who are you? Are you new here....?

McNamara That Ghost...
07-05-2017, 10:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39840233

Also he embarrassed himself again on MotD2 talking about a comparison with La Liga.

Niall_Quinn
07-05-2017, 10:50 PM

Also he embarrassed himself again on MotD2 talking about a comparison with La Liga.

Yes, it was a brilliant win for Utd. First team ever to win by scoring two fewer than their opponents.

Marc Overmars
08-05-2017, 07:22 AM
It was probably the most irrelevant game between Arsenal and United in many years and it's obvious the EL is of more importance for them, however Mourinho's sarcastic reaction about making Arsenal fans happy suggests he cares a lot more than he let on. You can bet your bottom dollar he'd be lapping it up if his record over Wenger was still intact.

So fuck you Mourinho and I sincerely hope you choke in the EL. :good:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Yeah I think he was trying to spoil things for us by downplaying the result

He will hate losing to a man he sees as beneath him, as far as I'm concerned Mourinho isn't in anyway the same manager he was and is living off his reputation. But I despise the man, and would love it if they got beaten by Ajax in the EL final

Power n Glory
08-05-2017, 09:12 AM
It was probably the most irrelevant game between Arsenal and United in many years and it's obvious the EL is of more importance for them, however Mourinho's sarcastic reaction about making Arsenal fans happy suggests he cares a lot more than he let on. You can bet your bottom dollar he'd be lapping it up if his record over Wenger was still intact.

So fuck you Mourinho and I sincerely hope you choke in the EL. :good:

It's a strange one. For a Wenger vs Mourinho, Arsenal vs Man Utd tie, it was pretty irrelevant. But our players went out and did their job. More steal to our game and looked a bit more aggressive off the ball and going into challenges. Committed and not half hearted.

Still need work. Attack wise we created some good chances but still had moments where we looked blunt and out of ideas. 2nd half, Sanchez looked to be staying out wide more. That took him out of the game. Not sure why we're not playing 2 up front. I don't think Welbeck can play as a solo striker and Alexis has underrated passing skills. Think we need to go back to the days where we had a striker partnership. It’s possible since moving to 3-4-3. Why not play 3-4-1-2? Besides Alexis, we don't have a striker that can play as solo act up front.

selassie
08-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah I think he was trying to spoil things for us by downplaying the result

He will hate losing to a man he sees as beneath him, as far as I'm concerned Mourinho isn't in anyway the same manager he was and is living off his reputation. But I despise the man, and would love it if they got beaten by Ajax in the EL final

Yep I hear ya. Maureen is yesterday's man, nobody really cares about him or listens to him anymore.

He's spent 250million and they haven't really improved, if I was him I'd be really worried about that.

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2017, 10:23 AM
We don't really play any set formation. It's all very undisciplined with players abandoning their posts under the pretence of playing interchangeable roles. But they really don't, instead we see the midfielders dragged out of position, the defenders caught out when they stray or get pulled. It's a mess really. Against a negative, bus parking Utd it doesn't matter as much. Against the spuds our ramshackle bag of formations were easily exploited. Watching Juve play was a lesson in what a good coach can do in terms of enforcing a system but allowing just enough flexibility. And that was against the most potent attacking force in Europe, statistically. Such as shame Wenger didn't fuck off so we could land a decent manager like that.

Anyway, even if we switched to two up top it wouldn't really be like that. We'd see the strikers having to drop deep, we'd see them playing with their backs to goal and we'd still have that lack of presence in the box. Plus we'd end up leaving big gaps. Wenger admitted it himself, we aren't playing a 3 at the back with offence in mind, we're doing it so we can play 5 against ambitious teams. The defensive showing had reached the stage where we had to make sacrifices elsewhere to shore it all up.

The win against the gypos hinged on the easily dominant and creative Silva limping off and being replaced by that bag of shite Sterling. That gave us the crucial edge. The win against Utd was down to a silly Maureen sulk where he sabotaged the team and the tactics because he doesn't have enough faith in them to grab top 4 so he's piling all his eggs into the alternative basket.

To my mind we haven't improved one bit. All we've really seen is that starting Giroud is stupid and suicidal, that's about the only thing we have learned - though I doubt Wenger has noticed. We "played well" against Utd because they allowed us to and because we're judging against a pitifully low standard.

Letters
08-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Like a sulky child.
Don't care.
Didn't want to win anyway. :sulk:

Whatever...

Niall_Quinn
08-05-2017, 10:38 AM
The Nevilles have distinguished themselves as almighty dickheads.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2017, 11:33 AM
The Nevilles have distinguished themselves as almighty dickheads.

you say that as if it's something new

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I'll be honest football offers such few pleasures these days, one of my greatest pleasures in the game is watching a side managed by Jose Mourinho lose

It's cathartic

And even if yesterday was a nothing fixture, it's the kind of game we would have lost in that way before....a fortuitous goal. No i wasn't fist pumping or jumping up and down with joy the time for that has well and truly passed, but even in the state we are in, if we can't enjoy beating that narcissistic tosser than we might as well follow another sport.

Penguin
08-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Wenger doesn't understand the system he's using. He's got Ox at right wing back and Ozil wide right in front of him - that's side's obviously going to be targeted. Spurs ruthlessly exposed that but Wenger didn't change a thing yesterday. Ozil still didn't bother helping out in defence, and Ox, as hard as he tries, is not a good defender. Luckily United were poor but it's worrying that Wenger doesn't see these things.

We look really uncomfortable with the formation still. We should have more width with two wing backs but we don't make good use of it. Also our three forwards always seem to be isolated so they can't combine with each other. The problem isn't with the formation but how we're playing it. Wenger's idea of management is to pick the team and let them work out how to play themselves. No direction.

I wouldn't mind moving to a 3-4-1-2 like Delusion suggested so we can move Sanchez closer to the other striker. Might give us more of an edge in attack and it will also let Ozil move back to a #10 position where he'll be more effective and he won't have to worry about defence. Although we will need to rely on the wing backs even more for width, and we can't afford to let Ramsey go wandering as we'll need the extra midfield protection.

Özim
08-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Yep I hear ya. Maureen is yesterday's man, nobody really cares about him or listens to him anymore.

He's spent 250million and they haven't really improved, if I was him I'd be really worried about that.

He's only been there one season, usually takes him about a season to get it right, reckon next season Man U will be a different animal, it's what happened at Real and Chelsea, but he may end up with to cups this season in the end, the league form doesn't usually come together until the 2nd season.

The Man U teamhe took over was awful, but he's got some signings right, Ibrahimovic was pretty good till he got injured.

Özim
08-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Wenger doesn't understand the system he's using. He's got Ox at right wing back and Ozil wide right in front of him - that's side's obviously going to be targeted. Spurs ruthlessly exposed that but Wenger didn't change a thing yesterday. Ozil still didn't bother helping out in defence, and Ox, as hard as he tries, is not a good defender. Luckily United were poor but it's worrying that Wenger doesn't see these things.

We look really uncomfortable with the formation still. We should have more width with two wing backs but we don't make good use of it. Also our three forwards always seem to be isolated so they can't combine with each other. The problem isn't with the formation but how we're playing it. Wenger's idea of management is to pick the team and let them work out how to play themselves. No direction.

I wouldn't mind moving to a 3-4-1-2 like Delusion suggested so we can move Sanchez closer to the other striker. Might give us more of an edge in attack and it will also let Ozil move back to a #10 position where he'll be more effective and he won't have to worry about defence. Although we will need to rely on the wing backs even more for width, and we can't afford to let Ramsey go wandering as we'll need the extra midfield protection.

Let's be honest, we're rubbish and these half arsed results don't paper over any of the cracks, we've lost a hatful of games recently and won the odd one, maybe our best game was against Man City in the cup, but Chelsea will send us packing in the final so it will prove meaningless and unless we're very lucky and other teams do us a favour so will todays.

This fixture ten years ago was something special, but with the state of the two teams now it's meaningless and not even something to look forward to.

Power n Glory
08-05-2017, 01:27 PM

I’ve been thinking the same thing. It looks like he’s just copied Chelsea’s formation without thinking about it. We are defiantly exposed down that wing with Ox and Ozil. Ox does try to get back but our CB’s are having to cover that area as well. Also, I think it’s a waste of Ox’s talent to play that role. He should be learning how to play as a CM.

Also agree on the free up front problem. Giroud and Welbeck are too static to do the combination play which adds to the isolation problem. Walcott is quick enough to get on the end of the moves but can be easily marked out of the game when playing wide, plus he’s not trusted to play the lone striker. Perez isn’t getting games. Sanchez is the best we have for the role but isn’t getting games there either. Playing him wide makes him easier to contain but when more central, his pace, touch and passing skills can lead to more goal scoring opportunities. The passes played to Ramsey yesterday is a reminder of how good he is. Combine a player like Sanchez that’s dangerous in the final third and a handful for defenders, may just free up space for a second striker to take advantage of. We need more combination play in the final third. Add Ozil in the number 10 role and it just provides even more options and our most dangerous players combing more often.

I listened to Wenger say the 3-4-3 helps to give a player like Ramsey freedom to run forward and still have the defensive cover. Then why not play an extra striker if you’re looking for goals and runs into the attacking third? Ramsey having that freedom means we sacrifice a man in the midfield and when we face a high pressing team, it will be easy to shut our midfield down. First half, Ozil was playing a lot deeper than usual to help with distribution along with Xhaka. 2nd half Utd were pressing harder and once Xhaka went off injured for Coquelin we weren’t controlling the game as much. Also, it hasn’t helped Ramsey’s game to always be encouraged to bomb forwards. He needs to learn the simple pass and move game so he’s not so one dimensional.

AFC Leveller
08-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Rob Holding was very good yet again. Dont understand why he was dropped for the Spuds game but i hope he keeps his spot and plays in the final.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
08-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Rob Holding was very good yet again. Dont understand why he was dropped for the Spuds game but i hope he keeps his spot and plays in the final.

well if he does, let's hope he doesn't have the same brain fart he had yesterday