PDA

View Full Version : Summer Transfer Misery 2017/18

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 01:10 AM
So it begins...

Arsenal blow as Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette agrees to join Atletico Madrid

Should have signed him back when we had the chance then, eh? Not enough change down the back of the sofa, I suppose.

Globalgunner
22-05-2017, 06:12 AM
So it begins...

Should have signed him back when we had the chance then, eh? Not enough change down the back of the sofa, I suppose.

Not particularly taken with this guy. He would join or replace any one of our motley crue of strikers, Welbz, Iwobi, Giroud, Walcott. All are pretty dire.

We need to shoot a little higher especially with you-know-who still at the helm.

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Not particularly taken with this guy. He would join or replace any one of our motley crue of strikers, Welbz, Iwobi, Giroud, Walcott. All are pretty dire.

We need to shoot a little higher especially with you-know-who still at the helm.

I'll quote you on that at the end of the window, when we've signed nobody but there's a rumour Andy Carroll might be on his way for a medical.

Carroll :pray: He'll do. Sign da ting!

You know how it goes.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Should have signed Lacazette ages ago but instead we went for Welbeck. Had another opportunity last summer and we went for Lucas. Kill this thread. It doesn't matter who we sign. Wenger is a complete idiot. 16 goals from Giroud, 19 from Walcott and he's still playing Danny Welbeck. Even when having to scrape the quality barrel he makes the wrong decision.

Globalgunner
22-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Welbeck has not instincts needed for a striker. He stands there in the box, 1 yard out and is totally unprepared for the ball to come to him. How many outrageous swings and misses yesterday?. He is a good athlete and at least can run with the ball a bit. But hit a cross in to him from wide and 5 times out of 6 he will not get a hit on it. there are reflex trainings where people stand in front of lights and you are required to touch the light that comes on in front of you. racing drivers do this all the time. Danny should spend the next 3 months on this machine.
I really think we should go for Balotelli. There is a good striker in there, however the good striker is locked in a life or death battle with a raging psycho.

GP
22-05-2017, 09:46 AM
I was with you up until the Balotelli part, then it was just mental.

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Balotelli? There's only one conceivable reason for bringing him in. He'd drive Wenger into a mental ward.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Welbeck has not instincts needed for a striker. He stands there in the box, 1 yard out and is totally unprepared for the ball to come to him. How many outrageous swings and misses yesterday?. He is a good athlete and at least can run with the ball a bit. But hit a cross in to him from wide and 5 times out of 6 he will not get a hit on it. there are reflex trainings where people stand in front of lights and you are required to touch the light that comes on in front of you. racing drivers do this all the time. Danny should spend the next 3 months on this machine.
I really think we should go for Balotelli. There is a good striker in there, however the good striker is locked in a life or death battle with a raging psycho.

Lacks the instinct along with the technique. When in the box he reminds me of Gervinho and Sanogo. Bambi like. Very clumsy. In fact, I'd actually have more patience for Sanogo and Gervinho up front because their movement creates chances and helps link play with the other forwards and attacking midfielders. Welbeck moves more like Giroud up front. Very static and stays central but he's worse than Giroud because he'll cock up the rare opportunity he has on goal. Not only will he miss, he'll swing and miss the ball completely. Giroud isn't the most clinical but he won't screw up a simple tap in.

Balotelli is talented and seems to be dong ok in Italy but there is no way he could step into this sort of environment and have a positive impact. I once thought Arsenal had the right sort of environment for him this season has shown otherwise. It's been a car wreck. We don't have the characters or staff. But all this doesn't matter. Wenger can have the right players and stats staring him right in the face and he'll fuck it up.

Özim
22-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Why is anyone surprised about Wellbeck not being a good goalscorer, he was hopeless at Man U and yet Wenger goes out and gets him because he's relatively cheap, sick of his cheap buys like Giroud, Wellbeck etc rather than spend it on someone top notch he goes for these nobodies who clearly don't have what it takes, if you do that it eventually comes back to bit you.

Lacazette is 10 times as good as any of our strikers out then Sanchez and we should have snapped him up a long time ago instead of going for cheap nobodies, let's be honest Mbappe and co is pure fantasy, if it wasn't before it will be now, I mean why would he sign for a club on it's way down like ours when he can have his pick of the best clubs in the world?

Yeah we're well and truly screwed thanks to Mr Wenger, he doesn't know the meaning of love for the club, the way he treats the fans is a disgrace and it frankly amazes me people still stick up for this chump and say he deserves respect for what he's done. He deserves zero respect now, he had respect but flushed it down the toilet with his behaviour, if he gets hounded out of the club few will be sorry.

Özim
22-05-2017, 11:17 AM
Wenger saying we're only a couple signings away:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premier-league/2017/05/22/35733482/wenger-outlines-how-many-signings-arsenal-need-to-challenge

Does the guy do it on purpose, he knows the fans aren't happy and as if to laugh in the face hints that he's staying and that we're not going to be very active this summer. Someone please tell the guy some home truths about what's wrong with this club, noone seems to ever say what the fans are thinking!

This is Wenger all over, half a dozen wins at the end of the season and he thinks we're good enough, embarrassing.

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 11:26 AM
“But first I think we have to keep 90 per cent of these players together and find one or two more who strengthen the group but we don’t need a lot. We don’t need many. But we need maybe top quality.”

:haha:

Straight back into the routine without missing a beat :haha:

2% away :haha:

Ultimate wind up merchant. Has t be. Not even he can believe the same old shit year after year after year.

Özim
22-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Ultimate wind up merchant. Has t be. Not even he can believe the same old shit year after year after year.

He's as predictable (and boring) as there is, he can't even come up with something original to feed the fans, same old same old, he's forgotten about the disaster than took place this season already thanks for a handful of meaningful games, you have to ask what's wrong with him.

Letters
22-05-2017, 11:54 AM
We have a squad who should be challenging already so basically he's right. We're under-performing because of Wenger, not because the squad isn't good enough. It's not that far away.

Letters
22-05-2017, 11:55 AM

The bit you've quoted is more or less exactly what you said a couple of months ago...

Özim
22-05-2017, 12:03 PM
We have a squad who should be challenging already so basically he's right. We're under-performing because of Wenger, not because the squad isn't good enough. It's not that far away.

He's not right at all, we need a top striker (we can't rely on dross like Walcott, Giroud and Wellbeck and Perez wil be gone), a quality winger (we need someone who can take on and beat players at long last), a proper DM (Xhaka isn't the answer, he can't tackle), a new CB (Mertersacker is finished, Gabriel isn't up to scratch) and LB (to replace Monreal and give us some decent cover as Gibbs is dogshite) at least. We'll need another keeper as well as Ospina will be on his way.

That's more than two right there, those results at the end of the season mean little, they were results when basically the pressure to achieve anything had gone, results we seem to get every season when it no longer matters.

Within that group of new players we need some leaders with a bit of bottle who are winners and don't go missing when things go against them like the current lot. Major surgery needed right now.

and yes we need a new manager as well, which looks more and more unlikely, that's on top of making changes to our youth setup, owner, medical team and losers mentality that runs through the club.

The club is in a mess from top to bottom right now, let's not pretend otherwise.

selassie
22-05-2017, 12:04 PM

We are 100% away with Wenger in charge, 2,3,4,5 signings? None of it will make a difference irrespective of who he brings in. He's not capable of building a team to challenge for the title.

Letters
22-05-2017, 12:07 PM
We are 100% away with Wenger in charge, 2,3,4,5 signings? None of it will make a difference irrespective of who he brings in. He's not capable of building a team to challenge for the title.

Agreed, but with the right manager the squad as it is should be challenging. We only need a couple of top signings to push us on. The big issue right now is with the manager, not with the squad.

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 12:11 PM
The bit you've quoted is more or less exactly what you said a couple of months ago...

Liar, liar. Check your pants.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Exactly. How long has it taken him to switch to switch formation? But even when he does switch formation he plays the wrong combination of players or when he finally stumbled upon something that works, one injury to a key component sets us backwards. Over the past 4 or 5 seasons we've been heavily dependent on individual talent to get us over the line.

Özim
22-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Agreed, but with the right manager the squad as it is should be challenging. We only need a couple of top signings to push us on. The big issue right now is with the manager, not with the squad.

Again wrong, two signings won't be enough to challenge the big boys, we don't have enough quality, it's been demonstrated year after year. Take Sanchez out of the mix this year and we'd probably be in real trouble, we need more players who have the quality to win you matches.

Letters
22-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Again wrong, two signings won't be enough to challenge the big boys, we don't have enough quality, it's been demonstrated year after year. Take Sanchez out of the mix this year and we'd probably be in real trouble, we need more players who have the quality to win you matches.

Who are the "big boys". Leicester? Spurs? :lol:
We have plenty enough quality to be challenging them without any new signings. Bayern and Barca fine, we're nowhere near that quality, but let's address the immediate problem which is we're not competing in our own league.
We don't need more than a couple of signings, and a new manager, to put that right.

Letters
22-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Liar, liar. Check your pants.
You said we needed 2 signings. I think that was in January.
I can't be bothered trying to find that post now but I pointed it out to you not long ago when you were suddenly going on about the squad needing an overhaul, which it doesn't.

selassie
22-05-2017, 12:19 PM

You know I thought this at the start of the season but right now I find it hard to judge the performance level of a lot of our players. Not only do I question the quality, but I question the mentality of a lot of the group. It will take a real hard lined manager to implement a winning mentality into a lot of our players, we're in a big mess right now IMO.

Letters
22-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Agree about mentality but I think a change of manager can bring about a change of mentality.

selassie
22-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Exactly. How long has it taken him to switch to switch formation? But even when he does switch formation he plays the wrong combination of players or when he finally stumbled upon something that works, one injury to a key component sets us backwards. Over the past 4 or 5 seasons we've been heavily dependent on individual talent to get us over the line.

I know, too little too late and as you rightly said I'm not even fully convinced this switch is the right way to go long term. It certainly won't be if he spends this summer buying the wrong type of player like he usually does!

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Who are the "big boys". Leicester? Spurs? :lol:
We have plenty enough quality to be challenging them without any new signings. Bayern and Barca fine, we're nowhere near that quality, but let's address the immediate problem which is we're not competing in our own league.
We don't need more than a couple of signings, and a new manager, to put that right.

I agree. I look at Chelsea, Liverpool and Liverpool's squads and there aren't many players there that i feel really outclass us. It's just a case of those teams being well organised and well drilled. If Wenger had Spurs squad he wouldn't come close to 86 points.

Özim
22-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Agree about mentality but I think a change of manager can bring about a change of mentality.

Can but many of these players have been brought up with a losers mentailty, hard to change. Anyway I don't agree, this team isn't much cop for me, there's plenty that needs changing, the point is we're not just trying to win the league we're trying to build a team who can win the CL as well.

I'd personally change quite a lot, the style of play has to change to a pacier style as well.

Özim
22-05-2017, 12:44 PM
I agree. I look at Chelsea, Liverpool and Liverpool's squads and there aren't many players there that i feel really outclass us. It's just a case of those teams being well organised and well drilled. If Wenger had Spurs squad he wouldn't come close to 86 points.

Chelsea and the other big boys aren't going to stand still, they're going to go out there and sign top quality players to strengthen their position, two players definitely won't be enough, we'll get left behind like we have been in the past.

Knowing us we'll end up with dogshite 2nd rate players and watch the quality players move to other clubs, happens every season.

Xhaka Can’t
22-05-2017, 12:54 PM

Keep 90% of the team eh?

We can wave goodbye to Alexis.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Chelsea and the other big boys aren't going to stand still, they're going to go out there and sign top quality players to strengthen their position, two players definitely won't be enough, we'll get left behind like we have been in the past.

Knowing us we'll end up with dogshite 2nd rate players and watch the quality players move to other clubs, happens every season.

We'll be left behind if we keep Wenger. We stand still if we keep him and blow our resources if he's allowed to spend more money. There are plenty of managers out there that can get a lot more out of this squad.

Özim
22-05-2017, 01:02 PM
We'll be left behind if we keep Wenger. We stand still if we keep him and blow our resources if he's allowed to spend more money. There are plenty of managers out there that can get a lot more out of this squad.

I agree about Wenger but any new manager will make quite a few changes, he'll look to build his own team, hopefully with a new style of play, many of these players won't survive the cull and rightly so, they're not that good.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 01:24 PM
I agree about Wenger but any new manager will make quite a few changes, he'll look to build his own team, hopefully with a new style of play, many of these players won't survive the cull and rightly so, they're not that good.

We really don't know until that happens. Over the past couple of seasons we've seen new managers arrive and they're pretty much having to work with what it already there.

Özim
22-05-2017, 01:29 PM
We really don't know until that happens. Over the past couple of seasons we've seen new managers arrive and they're pretty much having to work with what it already there.

Most managers bring in a few players before their 1st season and don't often achieve success then, the following season they then add a few more and as the team takes the shape they want they become more successful. If we change manager I'm pretty sure changes in the team will be widespread in the next few years, no manager wants to inherit someone elses team and keep it that way.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
22-05-2017, 01:33 PM

I actually think most of the players we have, a better manager could be getting more out of them

Aside from left back which is a real weakness we have a good defence in personnel terms.

Both Ramsey and Xhaka have shown in the last few games they have more ability than they've shown most of the season. I actually think that would be a good midfield partnership (although both too slow to be used game in, game out).

I actually think the team doesn't need absolute route and branch change. Just doesn't need Wenger.

Power n Glory
22-05-2017, 01:41 PM
Most managers bring in a few players before their 1st season and don't often achieve success then, the following season they then add a few more and as the team takes the shape they want they become more successful. If we change manager I'm pretty sure changes in the team will be widespread in the next few years, no manager wants to inherit someone elses team and keep it that way.

That's just it. We're talking 2 or 3 major signings other a few summers and not a massive overhaul in one season.

Maestro
22-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Balotelli? There's only one conceivable reason for bringing him in. He'd drive Wenger into a mental ward.

that would have been fantastic to watch

selassie
22-05-2017, 09:35 PM

I agree, I don't actually think we will get back into top 4 until he is gone.

When the likes of Chelsea fell out of the top 4 they sacked their manager, they do not and will not accept failure, they are in it to win it. They put things right by strategically spending to resolve the issues in their team. When Conte was struggling at the start of the season after a couple of defeats against their rivals he changed formation and now they are champions, he wouldn't accept a sub-standard season, he made the necessary changes ASAP.

Levy at the Scum wasn't happy with his managers until they achieved regular top 4 finishes, he sacked manager after manager until he found Poch, he wasn't happy finishing outside of the Top 4.

Last season they got a taste of a title challenge and all their talk in the summer was of challenging for the title, they got laughed at but I know which team's position I'd rather be in right now. They are dissapointed they haven't won the title, let this sink in guys, the Spuds are dissappointed they didn't win the title.

Meanwhile at Arsenal we have Wenger telling everybody we had a good season because we surpassed our points tally of last season, it wasn't disastrous he said...we would have gone through against Bayern in CL he said if the 2 legs were over after 45 minutes. We only need two new players he said yesterday, the squad is fine, we have the quality. We play in difficult conditions he said, difficult conditions? You created this mess you stupid idiot...you created this hostile atmosphere by refusing to strengthen the team over various windows, by refusing to adapt, by refusing to listen to anyone and creating a culture at the club where you rule the roost and are surrounded by puppets, by people that are not allowed a voice.

Wenger makes me sick, I actually despise him.

KSE Comedy Club
22-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Let the top signings begin!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10889179/arsenal-in-talks-to-sign-henry-onyekuru-from-belgian-side-kas-eupen

:haha::haha:

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Let the top signings begin!

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10889179/arsenal-in-talks-to-sign-henry-onyekuru-from-belgian-side-kas-eupen

:haha::haha:

Mbappe's postman :doh:

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Everton, Southampton and West Bromwich Albion were keen.

We've found our level.

Niall_Quinn
22-05-2017, 10:36 PM
You can see why Wenger likes him. Another utility AM. Headless chicken. Misses a ton of chances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h7jzf9KNO0

KSE Comedy Club
23-05-2017, 07:25 AM
That's some fine scouting work there NQ, have you put your CV in at the emirates yet?
Surely, 'good use of YouTube' should fit wengers requirements. :)

Globalgunner
23-05-2017, 07:59 AM
That's some fine scouting work there NQ, have you put your CV in at the emirates yet?
Surely, 'good use of YouTube' should fit wengers requirements. :)

Yep definitely falls under the category of computer analysis, which is what Wenger trusts above all else

selassie
23-05-2017, 08:43 AM
Yep definitely falls under the category of computer analysis, which is what Wenger trusts above all else

http://adigaskell.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/computer-says-no.jpg

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 08:51 AM
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a433/qwerty12343/mycard_zpslrlxrivz.png

Özim
23-05-2017, 08:58 AM
lol Wengers' idea of top quality and our..scratch that anyone with a brains' idea are entirely different things!

LeClown preparing to strike again, just when you think he can't sink any lower he strikes again.

Özim
23-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Looks decent on youtube to be fair, so yeah in real life he probably can't even kick the ball properly.

Globalgunner
23-05-2017, 11:18 AM
TBF. Lets give the kid a chance. He will be on 5kpw or less most likely in Belgium, so just watch Wenger put him on 40kpw. rising to 60k after 1 season.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 12:03 PM
It's nothing personal against the player, it's a comment on the intolerable obstinacy and idiocy of Wenger. And his failure to appreciate or even recognise the frustration of the fans that has built over a decade. This club should have been out of the gate with a big money signing, a big name with a track record who can immediately improve the team. That might come, but a smart outfit would realise how important it is to do this quickly. There are zero smarts in the Arsenal backroom though.

What's likely to happen is the Alexis situation gets dragged out and our spending is dictated by whether he goes or stays. We'll be stuck on the last day of the window hoping to pull off another Ozil deal, miles behind our opponents in terms of action, as usual. We should be spending regardless of Alexis' decision. And if he leaves then we take that money and immediately go and get a replacement, no fucking around, no experiments, add 50mill on top if we need to.

If they fuck around during this window they will rightfully get slaughtered.

Letters
23-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I'll judge this transfer window when it's over :sulk:

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 12:17 PM
I'll judge this transfer window when it's over :sulk:

It's probably over already.

Özim
23-05-2017, 12:19 PM
If we signed this guy, we'd have signed a freebie and some kid for cheap, so much for signing top quality. This club literally doesn't get ANYTHING, fans are up in arms about the performance and yet the manager seemingly is offered a new contract, put some of the blame on them and then at a time when anyone with half a brain would think, let's try and turn this around and cheer people up with a big signing, they go and sign nobodies.

Clever.

But let's not forget a player doesn't have to cost a 100 million to be top quality, just look as Sanogo.

Not only does this club not give a damn about the fans, it goes one step further and does things to purposefully antagonise them.

Letters
23-05-2017, 12:23 PM
I don't really think that will be the end of our summer transfer dealings.
If it is then fine, moan then.
:rolleyes:

Özim
23-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Why are we even looking at these guys though, it's not the type of player we need, we need established top quality now, not pet projects. That guy looks quite good, but then he's playing in Belgium so it's hard to gauge, the issue is we do the same thing every summer pretty much.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 12:39 PM
I don't really think that will be the end of our summer transfer dealings.
If it is then fine, moan then.
:rolleyes:

This theory there's always some future date when "moaning" is legitimate, what's the story? It's 10 years on for some fans now, 5 for others 3, 2, whatever. Season's over. Isn't it fair to say just about everything this manager does is shit? Looks fair to me. He's been given a ton of cash, spent it and we've gone backwards - no matter how hard he spins with his 75 points bullshit.

Is there a date where fans can say that's it, enough! Or will that date never actually come, always pushed into the future?

He's had his chance. Everything he does deserves to be criticised now, especially as he's determined to keep on doing the same old shit.

There's only one thing he can do that should not attract criticism. Leave.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Why are we even looking at these guys though, it's not the type of player we need, we need established top quality now, not pet projects. That guy looks quite good, but then he's playing in Belgium so it's hard to gauge, the issue is we do the same thing every summer pretty much.

He doesn't look good, he looks shit. Based on a YouTube video, of course. But we've seen these players before. They'll tear past ten opponents, then fuck it right up. Almost every time. And their whole rep is built on the 1% of the time they don't fuck it up. We don't need any more of these ballerinas.

Anyway, I thought we were signing Mbappe, or is that off now?

dostoy
23-05-2017, 12:44 PM
This thread, if its about Arsenal, is completely pointless.

Wenger could sign 10 world class players and still not win the PL, he is useless and it never ceases to amaze me that the board seem to think he is fantastic and the only man in the world who can manage Arsenal.

I am so glad I do not live anywhere near London and am not a season ticket holder.

Arsenal are a complete waste of time until a new manager arrives and that could be years away, until that happens, seriously, I would not bother even thinking about them.

Do something else with your time.

selassie
23-05-2017, 01:00 PM

:gp:

Totally agree, our squad is loaded with failed Projects, all handpicked by Wenger, he's hardly developed any of them...hardly any of them have improved.

He should be looking at top quality players now that will immediately improve our first team.

Letters
23-05-2017, 02:41 PM
This theory there's always some future date when "moaning" is legitimate, what's the story?
Well, it depends what you're moaning about. If it's Wenger in general or the way the club is heading or the board's priority of finances over results then yes, there is no wrong time to do that.

But other things in football are seasonal and have defined end dates so it's not unreasonable to wait till that date to fully assess things. The league season is over but the success of ManYoo's season now largely depends on the Europa League Final, ours on the FA Cup Final. And while I think we all know how our game is likely to go, and as much as people may pretend they don't care about the FA Cup, a season which ends with a trophy is better than one that doesn't.
So while a win in the FA Cup Final wouldn't be enough for me or many fans to change back to #WengerIn, it would make the season objectively better than if we lose it.

the moan in this instance was in a thread about the transfer window which has barely begun - maybe it actually hasn't begun - let alone ended. A few years back we signed Ozil on deadline day so, again, a signing like that does change how we view the transfer window as a whole.

Isn't it fair to say just about everything this manager does is shit?
No, it's ridiculous and just yesterday you were howling in derision about something Wenger said which was very similar to something you said just a few months ago. Now Wenger says it so, of course, you have to oppose it.
You're like the guy in the Monty Python argument sketch who just defaults to the opposite of what Wenger says or does, even if you actually agree with it or if it means you have to contradict something you previously said.
Silly.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Letters, you are pinning your argument on something I never said.

I said, if Wenger FUCKS RIGHT OFF a proper manager could do something with this squad because it's decent enough. Not spectacular, but as good as the chavs, as good as the mancs. Some solid players in there.

HOWEVER...

If Wenger stays, then we need world beaters in every position and then we need to pray.

So THAT'S why I think we need 2 players but also need 9.

Letters
23-05-2017, 03:19 PM
OK, IMO we need 2 and a new manager. If we don't have a new manager then I don't think it matters who we sign (given that realistically we won't be signing several really world class players).
But the point here remains that some people's default option now is to disagree with anything that Wenger says or does, even if they agree with it, just because it was him or said or did it.
That is silly.

fakeyank
23-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Letters, you are pinning your argument on something I never said.

I said, if Wenger FUCKS RIGHT OFF a proper manager could do something with this squad because it's decent enough. Not spectacular, but as good as the chavs, as good as the mancs. Some solid players in there.

HOWEVER...

If Wenger stays, then we need world beaters in every position and then we need to pray.

So THAT'S why I think we need 2 players but also need 9.

With Wenger in charge, Real Madrid and Barcelona would be struggling to make top 4 in La Liga.

Letters
23-05-2017, 03:38 PM

With Wenger in charge, Real Madrid and Barcelona would be struggling to make top 4 in La Liga.

No, they wouldn't. This is exactly the sort of silliness I'm talking about.

Özim
23-05-2017, 03:43 PM
OK, IMO we need 2 and a new manager. If we don't have a new manager then I don't think it matters who we sign (given that realistically we won't be signing several really world class players).
But the point here remains that some people's default option now is to disagree with anything that Wenger says or does, even if they agree with it, just because it was him or said or did it.
That is silly.

I think all the indications are that Wenger is staying, the signings, the comments, not doing a lap of honour, saying no director of football would come etc etc.

This was about transfers however and once again we seem to be aiming for those cheap nobodies, that's let's face it nobody really wants here after years of underachievement, this is nothing new. With the exception of Sanchez we've signed noone top class that we planned to sign, Ozil was an opportunist panic buy at a time when the club was under pressure. Our general signings have been cheap nobodies, truth is what we need now is a few worldies, not projects, not unknowns, not kids...proven world class players.

If we're after the freebie and this guy it just shows nothing is changing really, yes you could wait till well into the season, truth is though history shows we don't go for top class, last summer is was Xhaka (unknown), Mustafi (unknown) and Perez (unknown), they didn't come cheap, because we massively overpaid due to dragging our heels and Borussia seeing us coming from a mile away, but they were not good enough to take us to the next level because none of them were world class (one barely even got a game, so that was a total waste).

As for 2 signings, we have an ageing defence, no strikeforce or wingers and a midfield who can't defend, two players won't fix all that.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 03:46 PM
That is silly.

Yes, I admit, my default position is to be against everything Wenger says or does. I think that's a healthy position, given the history.

However, if he shows any sign he's prepared to change, prepared to try something new (which I don't think his back 3 is btw, for many reasons), then I'll hold judgement and wait and see. And I'll also credit him for waking the fuck up and smelling the decaf.

Until then, I'm against him. Full stop.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 03:48 PM

WE, Arsenal FC, are struggling (actually failing) to make the top 4 in a PL brimming with shit teams that can't compete in the CL. I wouldn't be so sure Wenger doesn't have it in him to bring Madrid down a peg or two and make then profitably average. That's what he does.

Letters
23-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Zim, I don't think the transfer window has even started and in every transfer window teams sign a mix of players. Last summer Chelsea spent a fair amount but also signed Pablo Marí for £170k Aaron Mooy for free.
I seriously doubt this is our marquee signing for the summer, it doesn't show anything.

Letters
23-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Yes, I admit, my default position is to be against everything Wenger says or does. I think that's a healthy position, given the history.

However, if he shows any sign he's prepared to change, prepared to try something new (which I don't think his back 3 is btw, for many reasons), then I'll hold judgement and wait and see. And I'll also credit him for waking the fuck up and smelling the decaf.

Until then, I'm against him. Full stop.

Against him is fine - I'm against him too in the sense that I want him to leave.
But against EVERYTHING he does? Now that's just silly. And this nonsense about Real is the exact sort of thing I'm talking about, even if you think they would get worse under him - not in itself an unreasonable position - you actually think that in a league which is pretty much a duopoly they would struggle to even finish in the top 4 under him? Be serious. This is the first year we've failed to do it under Wenger and the PL is a far more competitive league than La Liga.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 03:59 PM
If we lose Alexis (pretty much guaranteed) and sign a (so-called) replacement then we've gone nowhere. So that won't be in the least bit acceptable. Let's bear that in mind. Standing still is not an option.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Against him is fine - I'm against him too in the sense that I want him to leave.
But against EVERYTHING he does? Now that's just silly. And this nonsense about Real is the exact sort of thing I'm talking about, even if you think they would get worse under him - not in itself an unreasonable position - you actually think that in a league which is pretty much a duopoly they would struggle to even finish in the top 4 under him? Be serious. This is the first year we've failed to do it under Wenger and the PL is a far more competitive league than La Liga.

I am being serious. We've already witnessed a league that Leicester City conquered. There's real evidence to play with, we don't have to rely on supposition. The only ridiculous thing to say would be Wenger couldn't compete if every other team dropped out. And even then, I think he could find a way.

He's a shit. Not as a person (at least I can't prove that conclusively) but as a manager. An absolute shit.

Letters
23-05-2017, 04:08 PM
And the evidence we have to play with is that, in a far more competitive league than La Liga, we have always finished top 4 till this season when we missed out by 1 point.
So clearly in a duopoly like La Liga it is inconceivable that he would take them over and they would fall out of the top 4.
It's more reasonable to suppose that he wouldn't win them the league, but finish top 4 - of course they would.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 04:11 PM
And the evidence we have to play with is that, in a far more competitive league than La Liga, we have always finished top 4 till this season when we missed out by 1 point.
So clearly in a duopoly like La Liga it is inconceivable that he would take them over and they would fall out of the top 4.
It's more reasonable to suppose that he wouldn't win them the league, but finish top 4 - of course they would.

What makes you conclude it's a far more competitive league? Do you mean it's a league full of shit teams? Our own included? Is that the definition of competitive?

Leicester City went furthest in the CL this year. And they were nowhere. So tell me about our competitive league. Juventus, did you watch them play? Madrid. Barca. PSG. Bayern, well we know about that one. What's your definition of competitive?

Letters
23-05-2017, 04:20 PM
It's more competitive in the sense that there aren't one or two outstanding teams who are head and shoulders above everyone else - there used to be when it was us or Utd in happier times but now there are 4 or 5 sides who could be credible Champions.
Athletico have been sniffing around but, in general, it's Barca or Real and then the rest. I think you're giving Wenger far too much "credit" if you think he could successfully take them over and guide them out of the top 4.
I'm struggling to believe you really believe that.

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 04:30 PM
It's more competitive in the sense that there aren't one or two outstanding teams who are head and shoulders above everyone else - there used to be when it was us or Utd in happier times but now there are 4 or 5 sides who could be credible Champions.
Athletico have been sniffing around but, in general, it's Barca or Real and then the rest. I think you're giving Wenger far too much "credit" if you think he could successfully take them over and guide them out of the top 4.
I'm struggling to believe you really believe that.

Yes, they're all equally shit.

Have you watched the chavs play? Champions? Bit sad really.

Penguin
23-05-2017, 04:33 PM
The premier league is more competitive but that's partly because nobody in our league is anywhere near the level of the likes of Barca, Real and Bayern. If you put one of those teams in our league they'd shit all over everyone else here.

Özim
23-05-2017, 04:45 PM
To be fair Spanish teams generally do better in Europe than their English counterparts.

The PL is pretty poor right now quality wise, the equivalent positioned Spanish team in La Liga will probably beat it's English PL counterpart over two legs.

Globalgunner
23-05-2017, 05:45 PM
To be fair Spanish teams generally do better in Europe than their English counterparts.

The PL is pretty poor right now quality wise, the equivalent positioned Spanish team in La Liga will probably beat it's English PL counterpart over two legs.

We will have an idea where we are 2mrw when the mighty Utd take on Ajax Amsterdam. A team that is about on the level of Everton, so it should be competitive

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
23-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Where the hell is the idle talk about players we won't actually sign.....?

Niall_Quinn
23-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Where the hell is the idle talk about players we won't actually sign.....?

It's an Arsenal tradition. I have been sitting here for 3 days without sleep, waiting for the announcement on Mbappe's medical. Any moment now.

fakeyank
24-05-2017, 12:36 PM

How do you know that? My reasoning is a decade full of bizzare formations, players playing out of position, horrible transfer dealings etc. Whats yours?

He'd probably sign Kallstrom and play him down the middle in place of Ronaldo :lol:

#troll

Letters
24-05-2017, 01:16 PM
How do you know that? My reasoning is a decade full of bizare formations, players playing out of position, horrible transfer dealings etc. Whats yours?
Well my reasoning is simply this: despite all those things you accuse him of, Wenger has kept us in the top 4 every year but this one in which we narrowly missed out.
IMO the PL is a more competitive league than La Liga, more teams can credibly win the league, there isn't a duopoly where it's generally Real or Barca winning the league.
And yet you seriously think Wenger could take over one of those sides and they'd struggle to finish top 4.
This is the sort of nonsense which makes it hard to take any of your opinions seriously.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-05-2017, 01:55 PM
It's not really a worthwhile comparison because Real and Barcelona don't have managers they have head coaches.

Wenger turned down the chance to take over at Madrid in 2004 because he didn't like that system

Would Wenger have acheived what Luis Garcia has with the club in his three years at Barca? Possibly, Possibly not

Would he have done any worse than Gerardo Martino? Again no probably not

Wenger is not especially a great coach, he isn't strong tactically and is possibly one of the most stubborn men in the game. But this idea that he's the worst manager in football or is at least not better than at half the managers he comes up against in the premier league is borne out of frustration nothing more.

But he isn't elite class, he's average or maybe just above.

fakeyank
24-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Well my reasoning is simply this: despite all those things you accuse him of, Wenger has kept us in the top 4 every year but this one in which we narrowly missed out.
IMO the PL is a more competitive league than La Liga, more teams can credibly win the league, there isn't a duopoly where it's generally Real or Barca winning the league.
And yet you seriously think Wenger could take over one of those sides and they'd struggle to finish top 4.
This is the sort of nonsense which makes it hard to take any of your opinions seriously.

Yes, I seriously do think he would struggle to finish in the top 4 anywhere. That was shown by how miserably he has failed this and last season with a squad (which on paper at least) is as good as any other.

Letters
24-05-2017, 02:16 PM
OK, so we've had 20 years of finishing in the top 4 every year in a relatively competitive league where no-one else has finished in the top 4 so consistently. And on only a few occasions did we struggle to.
We have now missed out for the first time, by a single point, and you now think on that basis he would struggle to finish in the top 4 at any club, even one which hasn't finished below 2nd for yonks, is always miles above the 5th placed team, has a considerably better squad than ours and better than everyone else's in the league they compete with bar one other team.

And you think he'd struggle to finish top 4 with them.
OK then.

Objectivity :rose:
Logic and reason :rose:

Niall_Quinn
24-05-2017, 02:51 PM
All I know is Atleti would be the top Madrid side now if Wenger had been 10 years in charge at Marketing. Not that Marketing would have put up with him for more than a season.

Özim
24-05-2017, 02:59 PM
The reason he never took the job at Madrid (and jobs at every club in the world as he stated lol) is because he knew there was pressure to deliver success, unlike at Arsenal (that's the norm at big club).

He knew that one season without trophies would mean he would lose his job, something that wouldn't happen at Arsenal where he had a comfortable job, controlling everything with no pressure to deliver success whilst getting paid a fortune.

That's why when he uses that a sign of love for Arsenal you can't take it seriously, he's clearly risk averse, as highlighted by his transfer dealings where he prefer cheap buys that won't be a big deal if they don't work out.

Özim
24-05-2017, 03:01 PM
All I know is Atleti would be the top Madrid side now if Wenger had been 10 years in charge at Marketing. Not that Marketing would have put up with him for more than a season.

Agreed Athletico Real because Simeone is in a different league to Wenger and few players manages themselves without some leadership and motivation from the manager.

Letters
24-05-2017, 03:33 PM
The reason he never took the job at Madrid (and jobs at every club in the world as he stated lol) is because he knew there was pressure to deliver success, unlike at Arsenal (that's the norm at big club).

He knew that one season without trophies would mean he would lose his job, something that wouldn't happen at Arsenal where he had a comfortable job, controlling everything with no pressure to deliver success whilst getting paid a fortune.

That's why when he uses that a sign of love for Arsenal you can't take it seriously, he's clearly risk averse, as highlighted by his transfer dealings where he prefer cheap buys that won't be a big deal if they don't work out.

It's nice that you know him personally. Surprising too given that you don't seem to like him much.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
24-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Yes because being under no pressure to succeed was uppermost in his mind after he'd won the title going the whole league season unbeaten.

Özim
24-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Yes because being under no pressure to succeed was uppermost in his mind after he'd won the title going the whole league season unbeaten.

By that time he was not under pressure any more, besides he was heavily linked with Madrid during his losing period as well, he never had the guts to take the job though as he knew what it meant, almost certain unemployment after a year.

Özim
24-05-2017, 04:29 PM
It's nice that you know him personally. Surprising too given that you don't seem to like him much.

Just stating the obvious, he's had it easy at Arsenal and never wanted to leave the comfort blanket of this club for a higher risk option, he's not a risk taker, was getting great money, could do as he pleased and didn't have to deliver trophies, why would he move?

He's shown that success isn't a criteria high up on his list of priorities.

Letters
24-05-2017, 04:45 PM
No, you're just making up stuff about someone you don't know based on your little vendetta. Tiresome.

AFC Leveller
24-05-2017, 05:08 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4536926/Alexis-Sanchez-quit-rumours-intensify-Chile-mistake.html

According to the Chile national team Alexis plays for Bayern lol

Özim
24-05-2017, 05:20 PM
No, you're just making up stuff about someone you don't know based on your little vendetta. Tiresome.

Seems to me I'm not otherwise he would have moved and in the last 12 years tried harder to succeed.

Cripps
24-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Spot on.

KSE Comedy Club
24-05-2017, 10:23 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4536926/Alexis-Sanchez-quit-rumours-intensify-Chile-mistake.html

According to the Chile national team Alexis plays for Bayern lol
We're only delaying the inevitable, tbh :coffee:

Dicks and chicks
26-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Anyone else noticed how fucked we are now man united have qualified for the champions league we are essentially 6th choice for any top player that wants to playin england. We are fecked.

Xhaka Can’t
26-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Our problems are more deep rooted than players or the ability to attract them.

Marc Overmars
26-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Even with CL football we rarely competed at the top table when it came to signing players. Until someone high up at the club raises the standards, we will continue to operate as we always have done.

selassie
26-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Even with CL football we rarely competed at the top table when it came to signing players. Until someone high up at the club raises the standards, we will continue to operate as we always have done.

Yep, nail on head.

Even when our profile was at it's highest post invincibles we still operated like the underdog in the market.

It will take a change of ownership and manager in addition to winning the bigger prizes for us to begin to raise our profile and attract the elite players.

I'll be honest I don't fully understand why we moved stadium to operate in the way we do....

Marc Overmars
26-05-2017, 01:41 PM
City have signed Bernardo Silva for 60m. :lol:

selassie
26-05-2017, 02:06 PM
City have signed Bernardo Silva for 60m. :lol:

Christ that's a lot of money but he does look quality from what I have seen of him in CL this season with Monaco.

He has the potential to be world class IMO.

Both Manchester clubs along with Chelsea will no doubt spend big money this summer, I think even the Spuds & Liverpool will spend a fair bit.

Edited to add: Just been reading City are in talks with Monaco to sign Mendy their left back, the one that all the big clubs want. Fee reported to be in region of 45million! Crazy money...but City are just identifying what they need and making the signings, no fucking about...and dithering.

selassie
26-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Anyone else noticed how fucked we are now man united have qualified for the champions league we are essentially 6th choice for any top player that wants to playin england. We are fecked.

We were behind United and Chelsea even last season because we won't compete with them in the market, it's as simple as that. Yeah they have deeper budgets but we could be a lot more pragmatic in the market if we wanted to be, we just choose not to. Both United and Chelsea didn't have the lure of CL last season, yet the likes of Kante still choose Chelsea over us because we refused to offer him a salary similar to Walcott's. I don't know whether a player would choose us over Spuds and Liverpool these days, I think English players would favour both of them, not sure about European players.

Now that we don't have the lure of CL we're basically operating in a completely different market to these guys...it's no coincidence that we're linked to players that the likes of Everton and West Ham are linked to.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
29-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Reus injured again...... prime for the picking now....

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2017, 12:33 AM
Reus injured again...... prime for the picking now....

The new Diaby :bow:

KSE Comedy Club
30-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Is that £100m that Citeh have spent already now? Before the end of May.

Have we signed anyone y...... oh no, we are still fucking about with the manager!

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2017, 12:01 PM
We've supposedly signed a full back to replace Monreal, who doesn't need to be replaced. But I thought that was done a couple of weeks back, now some are reporting it is almost done. Maybe we are waiting on cheap Ryanair deals to bring him over for the medical.

Özim
30-05-2017, 12:56 PM
May as well close this thread now, Wenger is still in charge expect more of the same rubbish to come in.

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2017, 01:27 PM
A Sanchez set to sign !!!!!!!!

:patrice:

Anthony Sanchez, 29 year old Pau FC left sided midfielder, is expected to join the Gunners on a 3 year deal with the transfer fee thought to be around Eu175K. Sanchez netted twice in 27 appearances for the Championnat National team that narrowly avoided relegation.

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Malaga pair Sandro Ramirez and Pablo Fornals are emerging as serious targets for Arsenal.

Never heard of them. Any good? Or just cheap?

EDIT: Fornals is an attacking midfielder, because we desperately need more of them. He's our cheap alternative to Isco, apparently. He was off to Valencia for 10 mill until we showed an interest.

Ramirez is a bargain bucket 21 year old striker, he'll cost about 5 mill and is being chased by mighty Everton.

WENGER IS BACK :bow:

Letters
30-05-2017, 01:38 PM
I'm going to judge this transfer window at the end when it SLAMS shut :sulk:

Niall_Quinn
30-05-2017, 01:41 PM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/salomon-kalou/profil/spieler/7971

Cheeky under-bid?

GP
30-05-2017, 01:59 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aebGz0xjYk9lcjxE2u1NAg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-GB/blogs/early-doors/wengerbad.jpg

Özim
31-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Being linked with Bacca, Mahrez, Lemar, underwhelming to say the least.

Bacca is rubbish, we couldn't buy Mahrez last summer but instead we're after him after a poor season when he'll probably be cut price and Lemar not area we need a player for.

Even the made up rumours are boring these days :yawn:

Letters
31-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Oh give it a rest :rolleyes:

Özim
31-05-2017, 09:20 AM
Oh give it a rest :rolleyes:

No I'm alright thanks :good:

selassie
31-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Being linked with Bacca, Mahrez, Lemar, underwhelming to say the least.

Bacca is rubbish, we couldn't buy Mahrez last summer but instead we're after him after a poor season when he'll probably be cut price and Lemar not area we need a player for.

Even the made up rumours are boring these days :yawn:

These are all possible Sanchez replacements IMO.

Özim
31-05-2017, 09:27 AM
These are all possible Sanchez replacements IMO.

Probably, with Sanchez almost certainly gone (reports saying he wants to leave) it wouldn't be a surprise that we go down the cut price route, we're so cheap it's embarrassing, an embarrassment of a football club these days in general.

Letters
31-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Have you moved on to whining about stuff that hasn't happened now?

Özim
31-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Yup :good:

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Have you moved on to whining about stuff that hasn't happened now?

Straight back into the routine. Let's wait and see if year 14 is the charm, eh?

Letters
31-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Straight back into the routine. Let's wait and see if year 14 is the charm, eh?

Well, yes :shrug:. What is the other option?
I don't think it will be "our year" next season either and I don't want Wenger to be our manager next year. But he will be. Nothing you post on here will change that.
Whining about every rumour, every signing, every transfer saga all summer. What does that add to either this place or the campaign (such as it is) to get Wenger out?
Is it not more productive to objectively look at players we're linked with, discuss how they'd fit into the team, or wouldn't, or whatever.
This place isn't loads of fun any more at the best of times. Constant whining - even when nothing has actually happened - adds nothing.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 09:56 AM
I don't think it will be "our year" next season either and I don't want Wenger to be our manager next year. But he will be. Nothing you post on here will change that.
Whining about every rumour, every signing, every transfer saga all summer. What does that add to either this place or the campaign (such as it is) to get Wenger out?
Is it not more productive to objectively look at players we're linked with, discuss how they'd fit into the team, or wouldn't, or whatever.
This place isn't loads of fun any more at the best of times. Constant whining - even when nothing has actually happened - adds nothing.

That's YOUR response to the situation. Fine.

But other people see it differently and they are equally entitled to their opinion. Opinions you can disagree with, also fine. But you don't. You post up snide comments. Why is it "whining" for any Arsenal fan to be pissed off with the situation at this club?

Letters
31-05-2017, 10:03 AM
It isn't whining for people to be pissed off with the situation at the club. But it's whining to be whining about everything that happens. Everything that doesn't happen. Every rumour about a player we're linked with.
Does it make the slightest bit of difference to whether Wenger stays or goes? What does it add either to debate on here or the place being fun?

Özim
31-05-2017, 10:19 AM
Why is it whining tobe underwhelmed by the kind of players we're being linked with and of course our supposed signings so far, a free full back (again few know anything about) and some kid from some minor league.

It's not like this is all BS either, we've seen the kind of players we sign, rarely are they proven or top class, so these players are feasible signings for us, we won't be seeing any top quality players through the door because the fact is we're cheap and Wenger loves nothing more than a pet project.

If our transfer history wasn't so obviouly skewed towards certain types of players then fine, but it is, we're always on the lookout for some project or bargains OR we leave it till the very last minute (how ridiculous is that BTW when we're already well into the new season) and then panic buy, why can't we be like a proper club and just sign the players we need at the going rate just like everyone else?

Sick of this rubbish to be honest and now we're lumbered with this for yet another two years, so yes I am going to complain when things are not to my liking and when we're linked to players I don't want to see here and who I don't feel will bring anything we need.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 10:25 AM
It isn't whining for people to be pissed off with the situation at the club. But it's whining to be whining about everything that happens. Everything that doesn't happen. Every rumour about a player we're linked with.
Does it make the slightest bit of difference to whether Wenger stays or goes? What does it add either to debate on here or the place being fun?

Why isn't political debate fun? Why isn't religious debate fun? Why isn't Apple vs Microsoft fan boy debate fun? Why isn't "my favourite pop singer" debate fun? Why isn't it all reasonable and rational and carefully crafted to avoid potential offence and distress?

Football forum. Football fans. Different people, different views, tribalism, emotion. What do you expect? Oxford debating rules? Have you seen how boring those cunts are, btw?

Letters
31-05-2017, 10:45 AM
I just find it all la bit draining. Nothing is looked at objectively. No, I don't expect this to be high quality intellectual debate but there is a bit of a middle ground. Isn't there?

Özim
31-05-2017, 10:58 AM
What's the middle ground exactly? Everything about the club is a joke at the moment, there's literally no part of it you can respect, we don't do anything the right way, which is ironic considering for years we were talking the morally superior angle, truth is we're everything that is wrong with football today and pound for pound from the fans point of view one if not the worst clubs in football today, a club where the fans put everything in and get nothing back but a kick in the teeth.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 11:00 AM
I just find it all la bit draining. Nothing is looked at objectively. No, I don't expect this to be high quality intellectual debate but there is a bit of a middle ground. Isn't there?

That's the problem. In competition there is no middle ground. There is no reasonable, no rational. There's winning and losing. Do you not see the way fans scream and lose control when their team scores a goal? Do you not see how that is intensified ten fold if the goal comes in the last minute, to win the game? Do you not see how it is one hundred times the passion and emotion if a trophy is on the line? That's what it's about.

And when some fuck comes along and says it's all about sustainability and accounting and balance sheets and profit and all of that will be promoted at the expense of the other thing, well fans get fundamentally fucked off. And all that passion and irrationality and emotion gets directed elsewhere.

This is human nature you are seeking to neutralise and organise. Like our modern politics. A politically correct wasteland. Human shells, schooled and practised in the discipline of saying nothing at all and, eventually, thinking nothing at all. Makes for a nice calm environment, like a drugged up retirement home. But it's not football.

Letters
31-05-2017, 11:12 AM
What's the middle ground exactly? Everything about the club is a joke at the moment
:blink:
We have literally just won the FA Cup, our 3rd in 4 years. So no, not really. We surely can't be doing EVERYTHING wrong. It's 3 more trophies than Spurs have won in that time.
Where we are failing is to compete in the biggest competitions which, with our resources isn't good enough.
My hope for this summer is that they surely realise that we have to sign some more proper quality and keep most of the the squad we have together. If they let Sanchez or Ozil and/or don't sign some proper quality then it will be another frustrating season next year. But the season has barely finished, even I didn't want Wenger to stay but he has and there's nothing we can do about that so let's at least see what he's going to do in the transfer window this year. All clubs sign nothing players as well as bigger ones in every transfer window, that is not something unique to Arsenal. If that's all we do then I'll be facepalming too but the transfer window has barely opened yet.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Wait and see?

Letters
31-05-2017, 11:23 AM
What else can we do? :shrug:

Power n Glory
31-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Good job all. Let it all out now because GW won’t survive another 2 years. :rose:

Özim
31-05-2017, 11:40 AM
:blink:
We have literally just won the FA Cup, our 3rd in 4 years. So no, not really. We surely can't be doing EVERYTHING wrong. It's 3 more trophies than Spurs have won in that time.
Where we are failing is to compete in the biggest competitions which, with our resources isn't good enough.
My hope for this summer is that they surely realise that we have to sign some more proper quality and keep most of the the squad we have together. If they let Sanchez or Ozil and/or don't sign some proper quality then it will be another frustrating season next year. But the season has barely finished, even I didn't want Wenger to stay but he has and there's nothing we can do about that so let's at least see what he's going to do in the transfer window this year. All clubs sign nothing players as well as bigger ones in every transfer window, that is not something unique to Arsenal. If that's all we do then I'll be facepalming too but the transfer window has barely opened yet.

Let's not forget this is the very cup Wenger devalued by fielding weakened teams, it's a nice cup to parade around but it's not what it use to be thanks in no small part to Wenger. Great game and very good performance but quite frankly it's just glossing over the cracks, we've failed this season in spectacular fashion and a 2nd tier trophy no top club is really that concerned about at the start of the season isn't going to change that.

I find it ironic that Wenger is celebrating the cup as if it's the holy grail when he placed little or no value on it a few years back, you can't have it both ways.

I don't have any hope for the summer, Wenger is in charge, he's proved he never learns, never changes and we're already seeing from that free transfer and this kid from Belgium that nothing has changed, we're still behaving the same way, fine it may be the start of the summer but the fact is we do it every summer and Wenger has at no point shown any indication he's willing to change, in fact quite the opposite, he's saying we don't need to change and that everyone else are morons who don't know anything essentially.

Don't be fooled, nothing has changed and nothing will until the day Wenger is no longer here, we'll be talking about the same thing at the end of the window, at the end of the season, the same failures and about the collapses and trashings, this is proven, if it hasn't changed in 12+ years it won't change now.

Letters
31-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Let's not forget this is the very cup Wenger devalued by fielding weakened teams.
Wait. You think Wenger has devalued it? You really do reach to find things to blame him for, you'll be blaming him for the housing crisis next.
You're giving Wenger far too much "credit" if you think he is responsible for devaluing it, even partly. Even if it was him who started to field weakened teams (was he?), that doesn't mean other teams had to follow suit.
The competition has been devalued generally because of the rise of the CL, nothing to do with Wenger.

All the bigger clubs field weakened teams now. Actually even Southampton did against us this season. These days all the PL clubs have pretty big squads and use them to prioritise accordingly. But if "no top club" is concerned about it then it's funny that top clubs keep winning it. Wigan and Portsmouth were rare exceptions, every other year going back 30 years it's a top club winning it. It's not the top priority for the biggest clubs and should not be the limit of our ambitions but it's still a pretty big deal.
How is he celebrating the Cup as if it's the Holy Grail? He was celebrating, all the players were celebrating too. Bit embarrassing if they'd been doing that for the Emirates Cup but the FA Cup is still the biggest domestic cup in football.

It doesn't paper over the cracks at all, it's nice to finish a bad season with a trophy, nice to regain the club record and I'm pleased for Wenger that he now holds the individual record. But the failure in the CL and PL is damning. It would have been a good time for him to leave and I wish he had but he didn't and there's nothing we can do about that. I don't have that much hope for the summer either but let's wait and see what happens. What else can we do? As I said in every season every club makes a mix of signings in the transfer window, some big, some not. So no, the current activity, or lack thereof, doesn't show anything.

Even if we agree that things are likely to be the same this transfer window and therefore next season, what exactly are we supposed to do about that?

Özim
31-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Wait. You think Wenger has devalued it? You really do reach to find things to blame him for, you'll be blaming him for the housing crisis next.
You're giving Wenger far too much "credit" if you think he is responsible for devaluing it, even partly. Even if it was him who started to field weakened teams (was he?), that doesn't mean other teams had to follow suit.
The competition has been devalued generally because of the rise of the CL, nothing to do with Wenger.

All the bigger clubs field weakened teams now. Actually even Southampton did against us this season. These days all the PL clubs have pretty big squads and use them to prioritise accordingly. But if "no top club" is concerned about it then it's funny that top clubs keep winning it. Wigan and Portsmouth were rare exceptions, every other year going back 30 years it's a top club winning it. It's not the top priority for the biggest clubs and should not be the limit of our ambitions but it's still a pretty big deal.
How is he celebrating the Cup as if it's the Holy Grail? He was celebrating, all the players were celebrating too. Bit embarrassing if they'd been doing that for the Emirates Cup but the FA Cup is still the biggest domestic cup in football.

It doesn't paper over the cracks at all, it's nice to finish a bad season with a trophy, nice to regain the club record and I'm pleased for Wenger that he now holds the individual record. But the failure in the CL and PL is damning. It would have been a good time for him to leave and I wish he had but he didn't and there's nothing we can do about that. I don't have that much hope for the summer either but let's wait and see what happens. What else can we do? As I said in every season every club makes a mix of signings in the transfer window, some big, some not. So no, the current activity, or lack thereof, doesn't show anything.

Even if we agree that things are likely to be the same this transfer window and therefore next season, what exactly are we supposed to do about that?

I didn't say he was the only one, but he certainly played his part, so to be hailed as a great achievement after all that is a bit rich for me, nice cup win but that's all,, certainly not enough to get him a new contract at other big clubs. I also said at the beginning of the season it isn't a priority for big clubs, they'd happily sacrifice the FA Cup if it meant they had a better chance of winning the other trophies that much is clear.

It does to some extent, had he lost he'd have been under far more scrutiny, I think the cup win made it easy to sign the new contract and some people whilst revelling in the cup win maybe didn't feel as bad about signing on after all, the fact is this season is a failure, even by Wengers own criteria because the FA cup (this conveniently seems to have changed now) it's a failure as he hasn't achieved his primary goal of qualifying for the CL.

I don't trust him, I'd go as far as saying he's incompetent in the transfer market, last summer he spent what around 100 million on a player he hardly played, a relatively low profile CB he had to overpay fordue to the fact he left his dealings so late (who hasn't been great lets be honest) and a relatively low profile midfielder who can't tackle to fill the DM role (odd choice) who again hasn't really worked out thus far.

That money could have been spent so much better, trouble is he always wants to be the person to discover the talent and that rarely happens nowadays and whats more we're paying a lot of mney for that privilege now, whilst many of his previous buys were also rubbish at leas thtey didn't cost the earth. If you're going to spend a lot of money, spend it on someone established at least.

So yeah, we know what we're going to get with him, either cheap buys or players that noone would have realistically identified as logical signings, oh and a trasnfer winddow that drags on until the final few minutes of it being open, no real excitement, no buzz, it's all dull, repetitive and predictable like the man himself.

He must be the only one who can't see how boring he's made things for the fans now, he seems to see some sort of magical football and players who are 50 times better than they appear to everyone else, he even had the audacity to cite mental strength and spirit at the tail end of the season, this despite another collapse on a monumental scale when we were still in with a chance of winning something meaningful.....when it matters the team has neither of the qualities he claims it has.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Aubameyang joining PSG for 61mill.

Serious clubs getting their business done quickly. Good news for us. The quicker they move the sooner we'll be able to see what's been left on the shelf and in the bin and take our pick.

GP
31-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Not true, we're signing the young Henry.

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Not true, we're signing the young Henry.

I forgot about that. I meant apart from signing Mbappe.

Wenger has a fresh take on this:

We will work very hard to find the additions of top, top quality. I believe that our squad is very strong and we will only look for top-class people who can strengthen our team now. The basis is there so we need the additions who will make a real difference.

I hope this isn't a massive change just for the sake of change. We need to be careful what we wish for.

Penguin
31-05-2017, 02:32 PM
He says the same thing every year. 'We are only one or two players away!'. He bought Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez for about £80 million and we were even worse than last year. We regressed after spending 80 fucking million pounds!

The players we buy are irrelevant. We won't amount to anything with this idiot in charge.

Özim
31-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Serious clubs getting their business done quickly. Good news for us. The quicker they move the sooner we'll be able to see what's been left on the shelf and in the bin and take our pick.

Yeah but they're not available honest!

We're never going to buy players like this, we don't put bids in, aren't willing to pay the price and prefer to do our business at the end of the transfer window when mostly players that nobody wants or players that we have to overpay for are available.

PSG want to be the best, we just want to be the best of the rest.

Özim
31-05-2017, 02:43 PM
He says the same thing every year. 'We are only one or two players away!'. He bought Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez for about £80 million and we were even worse than last year. We regressed after spending 80 fucking million pounds!

The players we buy are irrelevant. We won't amount to anything with this idiot in charge.

Very true but he also spends the money on sh*t players, this compounds the problem.

Penguin
31-05-2017, 02:45 PM

Get your priorities straight. Our first signing isn't supposed to be one of the best strikers in the world. Our first target is supposed to be a random Japanese/Korean/Chinese player who will only play in pre-season to maximise our revenue.

Marc Overmars
31-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Get your priorities straight. Our first signing isn't supposed to be one of the best strikers in the world. Our first target is supposed to be a random Japanese/Korean/Chinese player who will only play in pre-season to maximise our revenue.

What happened to that Japanese kid we signed last year?

Niall_Quinn
31-05-2017, 03:27 PM

He's locked in a cupboard until the next Japan tour.

LDG
31-05-2017, 03:28 PM

They locked him Inamoto home

:haha: :haha:

GP
31-05-2017, 04:24 PM

On loan in the German 2nd division. Didn't do much.

Dicks and chicks
31-05-2017, 04:38 PM

German 2 division

Dicks and chicks
31-05-2017, 04:39 PM
On loan in the German 2nd division. Didn't do much.

We should play him with sanogo in a 442

Xhaka Can’t
31-05-2017, 06:20 PM

It might help if you stop whining about whining.

Xhaka Can’t
31-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Did I just read that the guy who is the most successful FA Cup manager in its 145 year history is the guy who devalued it? :confused:

GP
31-05-2017, 06:31 PM
We should play him with sanogo in a 442

You should shut your mouth.

Özim
31-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Did I just read that the guy who is the most successful FA Cup manager in its 145 year history is the guy who devalued it? :confused:

You're confused at the fact he was one of those who devalued the competition by playing weakened teams and effectively branding it a 2nd tier competition, I don't get it.

As for being the most successful, well yes but he's been managing at one club for 20 odd years, not many other managers have done this, so it's no surprise he's the most successful tbh. Everything needs some context.

Xhaka Can’t
31-05-2017, 07:01 PM
You're confused at the fact he was one of those who devalued the competition by playing weakened teams and effectively branding it a 2nd tier competition, I don't get it.

As for being the most successful, well yes but he's been managing at one club for 20 odd years, not many other managers have done this, so it's no surprise he's the most successful tbh. Everything needs some context.

How is it no surprise he is the most successful? What does managing one club have to do with it?

The only thing confusing is your logic.

Power n Glory
31-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Wenger saying 4th place is more important than the FA Cup helped devalue the cup. There is no denying some on here agreed with him when he said that.

Özim
31-05-2017, 10:00 PM
How is it no surprise he is the most successful? What does managing one club have to do with it?

The only thing confusing is your logic.

Most other top managers have managed abroad so they've not spent 20 years in the PL, pretty simple really.

Add to that the fact this cup is no longer high priority for the big clubs.

Özim
31-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Wenger saying 4th place is more important than the FA Cup helped devalue the cup. There is no denying some on here agreed with him when he said that.

Spot on, nice to get a trophy and all that but we don't need to pretend the FA Cup is what it use to be back in the days when we won the double, 15 years ago no top club would dream of playing a weakened side in the FA Cup, now it happens all the way until the semi finals (and sometimes even then when they have a CL or big league game).

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Most other top managers have managed abroad so they've not spent 20 years in the PL, pretty simple really.

Add to that the fact this cup is no longer high priority for the big clubs.

The record of who has won it suggests otherwise. You said it is no surprise Wenger won it so often.

Given what you have said about him, it should be more surprising than when Surprisey McSurpriseface leapt out of the Surprise cake at his brother Supersurprise's surprise birthday party at number 7 Surprise Street, Surpriseville.

Letters
01-06-2017, 08:22 AM

#ZimLogic
Do not adjust your brain. Keep arms and legs inside the car.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Purely financially it is.

The cup was devalued long before Wenger made that statement though. I think Man United as holders dropping out of it to play in the intercontinental cup did that.

In the words of Brian Clough "I hope they all get bloody diarroeah"

Marc Overmars
01-06-2017, 09:47 AM
The broadcasters devalued it themselves. The financial rewards for CL qualification and for the lesser teams, avoiding relegation means it has fallen to only a rung or 2 above the League Cup.

FA Cup TV rights have been tossed around plenty of times over the last decade.

If anything we've done the competition a favour by winning it so many times and also parading it in 2014 and 2015.

Power n Glory
01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
The record of who has won it suggests otherwise. You said it is no surprise Wenger won it so often.

Given what you have said about him, it should be more surprising than when Surprisey McSurpriseface leapt out of the Surprise cake at his brother Supersurprise's surprise birthday party at number 7 Surprise Street, Surpriseville.

What Zim is saying makes sense. Look at the facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FA_Cup_winning_managers

Look at the top 5 most successful managers above. 4 out of 5 spent over 20 years with their respective clubs to rack up FA Cup trophies. George Ramsey, who Wenger just overtook, won it first with Villa in 1887 and his last win was 1920.

Wenger is the last of a dying breed. You won't see managers staying at one club or even one league for 5 years, yet alone 20.

Fergie is up there as one of the most successful but when you look at his record, you can see he racked up most of his wins in the 90s. Last time he won the cup was 2004. He retired in 2013. Around 2000 he stopped making the cup a priority and he played a major role in devaluing the cup by not taking part to defend his FA Cup title in 2000.

It makes sense. I highly doubt we'll see another manager beat Wenger's record unless they stay with a club for 8 years or more and win back to back FA Cup titles. Complete dominance. I'm not knocking Wenger though. He should be up there considering the years he's spent at Arsenal. Similar argument I've made for his CL qualification.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 10:04 AM
You can pick out the names of the perps who ruined the FA Cup (and football in general) from this surprisingly useful article from the Sun. Greg Dyke and Alan Sugar, who could have possibly guessed? And our club has been at the heart of everything bad that has happened to football in the last 25 years, something our owners seem particularly proud of.

The article doesn't mention Man Utd's and Ferguson's unique contribution to the destruction of the FA Cup, when they sniffed cash elsewhere and ditched the cup entirely.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2654374/who-runs-the-premier-league-founded-premiership/

Power n Glory
01-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Purely financially it is.

The cup was devalued long before Wenger made that statement though. I think Man United as holders dropping out of it to play in the intercontinental cup did that.

In the words of Brian Clough "I hope they all get bloody diarroeah"

Agree on Fergie. Was just looking on his record and after the 90s he stopped giving a fuck about the competition. Not taking part was the killer. But looking purely at Arsenal, there were people here defending Wenger's statement and it helped to cheapen the FA Cup.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 10:10 AM
Lots of people are responsible for devaluing the cup. The Beeb used to start its FA cup match day program about 9 in the morning, cup final day used to be a big thing even if you didn't support one of the teams that was in it.

Now I've watched every cup final since 1993, and you can tell how the lustre is gone in the way it's treated from being the centrepiece of the season up there with the league title itself, to being an after thought.

Wenger got the ball rolling by using the league cup to play reserve teams and youth players, and a lot of clubs followed suit

But it's money that essentially destroyed the cup.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Agree on Fergie. Was just looking on his record and after the 90s he stopped giving a fuck about the competition. Not taking part was the killer. But looking purely at Arsenal, there were people here defending Wenger's statement and it helped to cheapen the FA Cup.

The only thing I would say is that the cup was already cheapened and Wenger was honest enough to admit it.

What he said was stating the obvious and was a commentary on a situation that had long been assumed. That if a club like say Liverpool or Tottenham would sacrifice the cup to keep its stars fresh for a top 4 run.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Lots of people are responsible for devaluing the cup. The Beeb used to start its FA cup match day program about 9 in the morning, cup final day used to be a big thing even if you didn't support one of the teams that was in it.

Now I've watched every cup final since 1993, and you can tell how the lustre is gone in the way it's treated from being the centrepiece of the season up there with the league title itself, to being an after thought.

Wenger got the ball rolling by using the league cup to play reserve teams and youth players, and a lot of clubs followed suit

But it's money that essentially destroyed the cup.

We had a great reserve team though. It was genuinely fun to watch them. I don't criticise Wenger for playing the kids back then, they were great kids and could go toe to toe with most opponents.

Now though :doh: Don't let them anywhere near the pitch. Like the first team, all cohesion has gone and now they are just a bunch of disconnected kids with potential (provided they move elsewhere). Sad.

Power n Glory
01-06-2017, 10:28 AM
The only thing I would say is that the cup was already cheapened and Wenger was honest enough to admit it.

What he said was stating the obvious and was a commentary on a situation that had long been assumed. That if a club like say Liverpool or Tottenham would sacrifice the cup to keep its stars fresh for a top 4 run.

But we also have to honest and admit that Wenger helped devalue the cup in word and action. People shouldn't get upset when that point is being made. Some of us went along with that ride and didn't see the FA Cup as an important trophy either. We still don't if we think he doesn't deserve a new contract.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 10:37 AM
But we also have to honest and admit that Wenger helped devalue the cup in word and action. People shouldn't get upset when that point is being made. Some of us went along with that ride and didn't see the FA Cup as an important trophy either. We still don't if we think he doesn't deserve a new contract.

All true. When we had bigger fish to fry, the two domestics cups were exercises in hubris. Could our kids beat their first team? Answer was usually yes. Meanwhile, our first team got on with the real business, until the final at least.

Now that we can't compete in anything of note, yet having helped devalue the cups, there's a move to make Wenger's record significant. It's really not. That's why he said he's keeping his latest medal. Because suddenly he needs this cup to be a hundred times more important than he ever gave it credit for in the past. Cynical stuff from him, of course. We expect that. But fans need to be careful not to shop for anything less than a proper title challenge next season.

Letters
01-06-2017, 10:40 AM
What Zim is saying makes sense. Look at the facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FA_Cup_winning_managers

Look at the top 5 most successful managers above. 4 out of 5 spent over 20 years with their respective clubs to rack up FA Cup trophies. George Ramsey, who Wenger just overtook, won it first with Villa in 1887 and his last win was 1920.

Of course you have to have been at a club for a long time to set this kind of record. No-one is going to win the trophy every year. But that doesn't mean that being a long time manager guarantees you that sort of record.
George Ramsey was at Villa 42 years and won it 6 times, Wenger has beaten that in 20.
Zim is basically saying that it's not an impressive record because Wenger has been around for ages so of course he's won it a lot. Doesn't really follow.

Letters
01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
there's a move to make Wenger's record significant.
Seems to be more of a move to make Wenger's record insignificant from people who cannot bear to see him get credit for anything.

GP
01-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Seems to be more of a move to make Wenger's record insignificant from people who cannot bear to see him get credit for anything.

Of course, that's all it is.

Wenger has always valued the FA Cup. His record speaks for itself.
Compare with his record in the League Cup. Tells you all you need to know.

Power n Glory
01-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Of course you have to have been at a club for a long time to set this kind of record. No-one is going to win the trophy every year. But that doesn't mean that being a long time manager guarantees you that sort of record.
George Ramsey was at Villa 42 years and won it 6 times, Wenger has beaten that in 20.
Zim is basically saying that it's not an impressive record because Wenger has been around for ages so of course he's won it a lot. Doesn't really follow.

It follows. There is a guy on that list that won it 5 times in 8 years. That's really impressive. Wenger's record is nice for the history books but I'm not going to go overboard with the praise because the competition is not what it was.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 12:11 PM

I mean more significant than it really is in terms of his overall record. His FA Cup record is, of course, unmatched. In terms of the FA Cup alone, Wenger is at the top of the list. But in terms of his overall record as a supposedly top manager, his FA Cup record can't mask the fact he's yet to win a single European title. Can you be considered a top tier manager without winning a European trophy? I doubt it.

At the start of this season just gone, particularly following on from a failure to compete with even Leicester City, had you asked fans if an FA Cup win this season would be considered enough, even if we didn't challenge for the title, even if we didn't challenge for the CL, the answer would be no I think.

Well here we are at the end of the season. No challenge for a title, humiliation in the CL, we don't even have CL next season. But we have the FA Cup and Wenger has broken the record for number of wins - in fact even the emphasis there is all wrong. The emphasis should be on Arsenal's record 13 wins, not Wenger's 7. leaving that aside, listening to some fans now claiming we've had a successful season based on the back of this cup win, well that's a joke. Listening to them going on about FA Cup records and Wenger's personal achievements, it's a joke. Listening to them lay in to anyone who suggests this has, in fact, been a whopping failure of a season is a joke. Because it has been a failure. We didn't move to the Emirates to win FA Cups and fans shouldn't be expected to pay the highest ticket prices in the world for a day out at Wembley. Hull and Wigan fans can get that a hell of a lot cheaper.

So yes, Wenger's record in the FA Cup is the best. No arguments about that from me. But in context, trying to bloat it up to something more significant than it is is simply another way for Wengerites to cling on to some sort of justification for the devotion in the face of an obviously declining club and a manager incapable of turning that around.

Özim
01-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Yes it is no surprise, why is it so complicated to understand that he has had more opportunities than almost anyone else?

Maybe, but like I said the fact other big clubs haven't prioritised it has made it easier, we played Villa and Hull in two finals, this year we played better team but the previous two cups were fairly easy routes.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Gareth Bale?

Would he be enough to convince Alexis and Ozil to stay?

Bale, Alexis, Ozil plus a premium striker?

Plus we'd finally have a player who is good at avoiding injury in the penalty box.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Yes it is no surprise, why is it so complicated to understand that he has had more opportunities than almost anyone else?

Maybe, but like I said the fact other big clubs haven't prioritised it has made it easier, we played Villa and Hull in two finals, this year we played better team but the previous two cups were fairly easy routes.

You talk about Wenger as if he has difficulties eating with utensils so yes, it is a surprise. Many other Managers have had as many opportunities throughout the history of the competition.

There have been countless managers and still are that have had all those opportunities managing in England. They may not have been at one club as long, but they have had the chances.

You think he is shit, I think he is toast but the complete bollocks you spew makes this place look like a board of mongs.

And anyway, to move those goalposts back to where you shifted them from, I find it incredible that someone is as big of a Mong as you for suggesting that the man who stands alone as the most successful manager in the history of the 145 year competition has devalued it.

Marc Overmars
01-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Gareth Bale?

Would he be enough to convince Alexis and Ozil to stay?

Bale, Alexis, Ozil plus a premium striker?

Plus we'd finally have a player who is good at avoiding injury in the penalty box.

Bale will probably end up at United if he leaves Madrid.

We don't dine at the top table in the transfer market, never did when we had CL football and certainly won't now we're in the EL.

Forget about a marquee name this summer. The best signing we can make is Alexis.

Power n Glory
01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
I mean more significant than it really is in terms of his overall record. His FA Cup record is, of course, unmatched. In terms of the FA Cup alone, Wenger is at the top of the list. But in terms of his overall record as a supposedly top manager, his FA Cup record can't mask the fact he's yet to win a single European title. Can you be considered a top tier manager without winning a European trophy? I doubt it.

At the start of this season just gone, particularly following on from a failure to compete with even Leicester City, had you asked fans if an FA Cup win this season would be considered enough, even if we didn't challenge for the title, even if we didn't challenge for the CL, the answer would be no I think.

Well here we are at the end of the season. No challenge for a title, humiliation in the CL, we don't even have CL next season. But we have the FA Cup and Wenger has broken the record for number of wins - in fact even the emphasis there is all wrong. The emphasis should be on Arsenal's record 13 wins, not Wenger's 7. leaving that aside, listening to some fans now claiming we've had a successful season based on the back of this cup win, well that's a joke. Listening to them going on about FA Cup records and Wenger's personal achievements, it's a joke. Listening to them lay in to anyone who suggests this has, in fact, been a whopping failure of a season is a joke. Because it has been a failure. We didn't move to the Emirates to win FA Cups and fans shouldn't be expected to pay the highest ticket prices in the world for a day out at Wembley. Hull and Wigan fans can get that a hell of a lot cheaper.

So yes, Wenger's record in the FA Cup is the best. No arguments about that from me. But in context, trying to bloat it up to something more significant than it is is simply another way for Wengerites to cling on to some sort of justification for the devotion in the face of an obviously declining club and a manager incapable of turning that around.

Letters
01-06-2017, 01:41 PM
You talk about Wenger as if he has difficulties eating with utensils.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Bale will probably end up at United if he leaves Madrid.

We don't dine at the top table in the transfer market, never did when we had CL football and certainly won't now we're in the EL.

Forget about a marquee name this summer. The best signing we can make is Alexis.

Sorry, but the transfer window is the only period we have to engage in illusion and delusion, so don't spoil that for me. When the season starts the illusions will be shattered quickly enough. But for now, we're signing Bale and Mbappe. Okay?

Marc Overmars
01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Sorry, but the transfer window is the only period we have to engage in illusion and delusion, so don't spoil that for me. When the season starts the illusions will be shattered quickly enough. But for now, we're signing Bale and Mbappe. Okay?

The club is so far removed from how an ordinary top club operates, it's not even worth dreaming.

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:03 PM

I said it's not much of a surprise he's won it the most seeing as he's been at this club for 20+ years and very few managers before him have even come close, what's more the competition is no longer a top tier competition and so has become somewhat easier to win since 2005 or so.

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:05 PM
It follows. There is a guy on that list that won it 5 times in 8 years. That's really impressive. Wenger's record is nice for the history books but I'm not going to go overboard with the praise because the competition is not what it was.

Spot on, as for those saying he's always valued the competition, that's not really true, he's played weakened teams a number of times in favour of other competitions, I'm not saying he doesn't like to win it but simply that it's low priority, he would certainly pick top 4 over it which says everything.

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:09 PM
You talk about Wenger as if he has difficulties eating with utensils so yes, it is a surprise. Many other Managers have had as many opportunities throughout the history of the competition.

There have been countless managers and still are that have had all those opportunities managing in England. They may not have been at one club as long, but they have had the chances.

You think he is shit, I think he is toast but the complete bollocks you spew makes this place look like a board of mongs.

And anyway, to move those goalposts back to where you shifted them from, I find it incredible that someone is as big of a Mong as you for suggesting that the man who stands alone as the most successful manager in the history of the 145 year competition has devalued it.

Oh dear, we resort to insults again, it's ironic you call me a mong to be honest.

I've made my point but you're clearly too blinkered to take any notice due to your vendetta against me, so I'll leave it there.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Great post. nothing more to add.

Letters
01-06-2017, 02:17 PM
I said it's not much of a surprise he's won it the most seeing as he's been at this club for 20+ years and very few managers before him have even come close, what's more the competition is no longer a top tier competition and so has become somewhat easier to win since 2005 or so.

Well, he's not even in the top 30 when it comes to longevity at one club and as Gary pointed out there are a lot of managers who have been around much longer but at different clubs.
And the person whose record he beat took over 40 years to get to 6.
And given how incompetent you think him to be, I'm surprised you're not surprised at his achievement. And is it easier to win? Surely the league cup is even easier as that has a significantly lower prestige and he's never won that.
The mental contortions you go through to avoid giving Wenger credit for anything really are ridiculous Zim.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 02:19 PM
The club is so far removed from how an ordinary top club operates, it's not even worth dreaming.

Can't hear you. La, la, la, Wenger in. It's ON!

Özim
01-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Well, he's not even in the top 30 when it comes to longevity at one club and as Gary pointed out there are a lot of managers who have been around much longer but at different clubs.
And given how incompetent you think him to be, I'm surprised you're not surprised at his achievement. And is it easier to win? Surely the league cup is even easier as that has a significantly lower prestige and he's never won that.
The mental contortions you go through to avoid giving Wenger credit for anything really are ridiculous Zim.

That might be true, but in modern day football the cup isn't as prestigious and therefore big clubs no longer take it as seriously and consequently it's easier to win, 3 of his wins have come in this period incidentally and as pointed out before two were against Hull and Villa, two mid to bottom of the table sides, the one this season was a better achievement in many ways. As for being at one club, it's an advantage, when yo move clubs you have to rebuild, make your own team and in that time rarely do you win, the fact he's had 20+ years here means he's not really had to do any of that.

He's won it the most, no doubt that well done to him, I'm happy for him, but it doesn't change much for me and doesn't gloss over the failure he is.

Yes no doubt the league cup is lower prestige, again that's an even lower priority.

It's no secret I don't think he's that good a manager end of and the FA Cup doesn't really change that, how many European trophies does he have, how many league titles in the last 13 years, the FA cup isn't the marker for a good manager, Portsmouth and Wigan won it in recent times and look where they are now?

I'm not going to cream myself over a few wins in a cup that's now seen a 2nd tier in modern football like some of you, nice to win the cup and all that but would happily give that up for a competitve team in the league and CL.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Hands up ANYONE here who is not giving Wenger credit for winning 7 FA Cups? Speak out now.

This isn't the point. The point is, in context this FA Cup win means very little. Whether the trophy has been devalued or not, and I must admit it didn't feel devalued when we were banging the gaols in against the chavs, or whether Wenger is the best or the worst or somewhere in between, the attention being paid to this cup win is unwarranted. In proper context.

What's happening here is pro-Wenger voices are trying to paint the switch to a back 3 (which is really a back 5) and an FA Cup win, with a record on the back of it, as some sign of success, progress, change. Well maybe. But the evidence of a decade shouts NO. There's no evidence of anything significant. There are no grounds to suggest we've just had a successful season. There's not a single thing any fan can point to to suggest we'll be challenging for more significant honours next season. Nothing whatsoever. If I'm wrong, speak up.

So fine, we have Wenger's achievement. He's due the credit for that, but NOT in relation to the overall circumstances in which the club finds itself. Isolated, he's the record holder for managerial cup wins. But integrate that into the overall season and his track record of the past 10 years and this cup win means almost nothing. Far more important was his decision to run off to Kroenke and secure his new contract, beyond the authority of the board. Now that really tells us what we need to know about Wenger. That's something that really does have a significance on where we are heading as a club.

Wenger rightly deserves his credit for the cup win, but he also deserves to get slaughtered for his overall record. It's appalling. His decision to remain despite that record is also appalling. An astonishing act of selfishness at the expense of the club. He's done the one thing he claimed he would never do, hurt Arsenal. Balancing up, he deserves credit for his cup win and he deserves a mountain of criticism for everything else. And there's no way he should be the manager of this football club.

What the Wengerites are trying to do here is suggest otherwise. They are firing pop guns against the elephant that is Wenger's real record. The record that, sure, includes 7 cup wins but also an abysmal catalogue of failure. It beggars belief that some people are still prepared to defend this man, but there you go. Each to their own.

selassie
01-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Hands up ANYONE here who is not giving Wenger credit for winning 7 FA Cups? Speak out now.

This isn't the point. The point is, in context this FA Cup win means very little. Whether the trophy has been devalued or not, and I must admit it didn't feel devalued when we were banging the gaols in against the chavs, or whether Wenger is the best or the worst or somewhere in between, the attention being paid to this cup win is unwarranted. In proper context.

What's happening here is pro-Wenger voices are trying to paint the switch to a back 3 (which is really a back 5) and an FA Cup win, with a record on the back of it, as some sign of success, progress, change. Well maybe. But the evidence of a decade shouts NO. There's no evidence of anything significant. There are no grounds to suggest we've just had a successful season. There's not a single thing any fan can point to to suggest we'll be challenging for more significant honours next season. Nothing whatsoever. If I'm wrong, speak up.

So fine, we have Wenger's achievement. He's due the credit for that, but NOT in relation to the overall circumstances in which the club finds itself. Isolated, he's the record holder for managerial cup wins. But integrate that into the overall season and his track record of the past 10 years and this cup win means almost nothing. Far more important was his decision to run off to Kroenke and secure his new contract, beyond the authority of the board. Now that really tells us what we need to know about Wenger. That's something that really does have a significance on where we are heading as a club.

Wenger rightly deserves his credit for the cup win, but he also deserves to get slaughtered for his overall record. It's appalling. His decision to remain despite that record is also appalling. An astonishing act of selfishness at the expense of the club. He's done the one thing he claimed he would never do, hurt Arsenal. Balancing up, he deserves credit for his cup win and he deserves a mountain of criticism for everything else. And there's no way he should be the manager of this football club.

What the Wengerites are trying to do here is suggest otherwise. They are firing pop guns against the elephant that is Wenger's real record. The record that, sure, includes 7 cup wins but also an abysmal catalogue of failure. It beggars belief that some people are still prepared to defend this man, but there you go. Each to their own.

Letters
01-06-2017, 06:56 PM
What's happening here is pro-Wenger voices are trying to paint the switch to a back 3 (which is really a back 5) and an FA Cup win, with a record on the back of it, as some sign of success, progress, change.
Hands up ANYONE here who is doing that. I agree with a lot of the rest of your post but I haven't seen anyone on here doing that. I certainly haven't.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:04 PM

You're on a roll today with your posting. Very well put and totally agree

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Oh dear, we resort to insults again, it's ironic you call me a mong to be honest.

I've made my point but you're clearly too blinkered to take any notice due to your vendetta against me, so I'll leave it there.

Being called blinkered by you doesn't really have the effect you think it does.

And yeah, you're on my long list of vendettas. :evillystrokingcatfromwithinmyundervolcanolair:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Hands up ANYONE here who is doing that. I agree with a lot of the rest of your post but I haven't seen anyone on here doing that. I certainly haven't.

The totality of Arsenal fans is not represented by this board Letters

What NQ is suggesting is exactly what's happening on social media

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Great post. nothing more to add.

Well fuck off then.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Well fuck off then.

You're a bit tetchy this evening, heat stroke?

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:09 PM

The social media I read and even tonight's Evening Standard letters column indicate this is not happening on social media.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:12 PM
The social media I read and even tonight's Evening Standard letters column indicate this is not happening on social media.

Ok so you haven't seen the following on social media

Greatest FA cup manager of all time and still people want him out? #ungrateful fans

I'm not even paraphrasing

To say that it is a running narrative (which it is) does not discount the running of contrary views

Letters
01-06-2017, 07:12 PM

He said anyone here so I responded in kind.
I have seen other online forums though which have more mixed views though. To be honest it's quite refreshing. It would be nice if we had a bit more of that on here.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Greatest FA cup manager of all time and still people want him out? #ungrateful fans

To say that it is a running narrative (which it is) does not discount the running of contrary views

But there have ALWAYS been people saying that, and shite like it.

I've even been giving him credit for his Cup record, but sweet Jesus, I want him and that cancerous letch who owns this Club out to fuck.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:20 PM
You're a bit tetchy this evening, heat stroke?

No.

I'm still in my underground volcano attending to my vendettas.

You don't want to make the list. :threaten:

Maestro
01-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Get rid of:

Jenkinson £1m
Sanogo £1m
Debuchy £1m
Gibbs £1m
Wilshere £10m
Coquelin £3m
Walcott £15m
Asano 100 Wenger In t-shirts
Chambers £1m
Akpom £1m
Campbell £3m

.....with immediate effect, and then name the Secret 7 retards

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 07:29 PM
I thought you were one of them.

Maestro
01-06-2017, 07:34 PM
I thought you were one of them.

I am a retard but there is nothing secret about that

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I have seen other online forums though which have more mixed views though. To be honest it's quite refreshing. It would be nice if we had a bit more of that on here.

Sometimes there just aren't legitimately two sides to an argument

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
01-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Get rid of:

Jenkinson
Sanogo
Debuchy
Giggs
Wilshere
Coquelin
Walcott
Asano
Chambers
Akpom
Campbell

.....with immediate effect, and then name the Secret 7 retards

We signed Giggs?

That explains that open goal miss

Maestro
01-06-2017, 07:43 PM
We signed Giggs?

That explains that open goal miss

our version of Giggs, Gibbs ....I swear my keyboard is pro Wenger

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 07:47 PM

I didn't say anyone on GW has been doing that. I said the pro Wenger lot are doing it.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 07:57 PM

For heave's sake! It's a figure of speech! Take the bleeding trembler switch off your trigger.

What the Wengerites are trying to do here is suggest otherwise.

What we have here, is a failure to communicate .

See here, I won't stand for it.

Well looky here!

None of these reference GW directly.

And you'd find it refreshing to have a bunch of zombie cunts on here fawning over Wenger? Why?

Letters
01-06-2017, 08:03 PM
You need more booze.

GP
01-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Well fuck off then.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 08:05 PM

This is very much the in-theme. If you are so ungrateful to want Arsenal's most successful manager gone then you aren't a real fan, or you're the reason the team has failed, or you're "spoiled", or whatever other put-down they can add to their devoted proposition. The insult is meant to distract from the misuse of a statistical averaging out of the performance of a manger who swept all before him in the first half of his tenure but became the biggest shit in management in the second half, dragging the club to second tier status in the process. Like a trusty old horse from battles past that just detoured you into the desert and then died. Hey old horse, remember the good old days? They can't even flog their dead horse with any real conviction, instead resorting to statements such as "most successful FA cup manager ever". So what? I think he's also the most successful Top 4 Trophy winner and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they scraped that out of their barrel too.

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 08:07 PM
You need more booze.

Why do you think it would be refreshing to have a bunch of Wengerites on here? Isn't it vicious enough for you? What do you think would happen if those cunts pitched up?

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 08:08 PM
This is very much the in-theme. If you are so ungrateful to want Arsenal's most successful manager gone then you aren't a real fan, or you're the reason the team has failed, or you're "spoiled", or whatever other put-down they can add to their devoted proposition. The insult is meant to distract from the misuse of a statistical averaging out of the performance of a manger who swept all before him in the first half of his tenure but became the biggest shit in management in the second half, dragging the club to second tier status in the process. Like a trusty old horse from battles past that just detoured you into the desert and then died. Hey old horse, remember the good old days? They can't even flog their dead horse with any real conviction, instead resorting to statements such as "most successful FA cup manager ever". So what? I think he's also the most successful Top 4 Trophy winner and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they scraped that out of their barrel too.

EDIT: Btw, these are seeds all planted by Saint Wenger himself.

Letters
01-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Why do you think it would be refreshing to have a bunch of Wengerites on here? Isn't it vicious enough for you? What do you think would happen if those cunts pitched up?
I don't want Ty on here (fam) but it would be nice to have some more nuanced views on here and a bit more of a range of opinions. Isn't that good for any messageboard?

Niall_Quinn
01-06-2017, 08:31 PM
I don't want Ty on here (fam) but it would be nice to have some more nuanced views on here and a bit more of a range of opinions. Isn't that good for any messageboard?

Yes, in most cases it's good to have a range of opinions. But on Wenger? After 10 fucking years? What opinions? There's only people who are right on the one side, based on results, evidence and... reality, and then the Wengerites on the other side. Fucking loons that have left on an imaginary spaceship for planet Arsene. What's there to have an opinion on based on that bloke? We have his record to work with, no opinion required.

No, I think it would be bad news if those cunts turned up. Every day would be carnage on here. We'd make AFTV look like a gay handbag fight.

Maestro
01-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Yes, in most cases it's good to have a range of opinions. But on Wenger? After 10 fucking years? What opinions? There's only people who are right on the one side, based on results, evidence and... reality, and then the Wengerites on the other side. Fucking loons that have left on an imaginary spaceship for planet Arsene. What's there to have an opinion on based on that bloke? We have his record to work with, no opinion required.

No, I think it would be bad news if those cunts turned up. Every day would be carnage on here. We'd make AFTV look like a gay handbag fight.

Let them turn up, would love some daily carnage on here for a change

GP
01-06-2017, 08:51 PM

Ty doesn't say fam, that's Trumpz.

Özim
01-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Well fuck off then.

No I'm alright thanks :good:

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 09:20 PM
our version of Giggs, Gibbs ....I swear my keyboard is pro Wenger

I was wondering.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 09:24 PM
EDIT: Btw, these are seeds all planted by Saint Wenger himself.

Saints are known by their Christian names.

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 09:26 PM
We'd make AFTV look like a gay handbag fight.
When did it stop being that?

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Ty doesn't say fam, that's Trumpz.

Raaspec blud.

GP
01-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Raaspec blud.

Brrrrappp

GP
01-06-2017, 10:09 PM
M'Brrrapppe

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transfert-mercato-d-ete-au-tour-d-arsenal-de-convoiter-kylian-mbappe/806556

Marc Overmars
01-06-2017, 10:46 PM
It's on!

Mbappe. :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
01-06-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm so fuckin sorry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Marc Overmars
01-06-2017, 11:25 PM
I'm so fuckin sorry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE:music:

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 12:00 AM
I'm so fuckin sorry.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Transgenders :doh:

Power n Glory
02-06-2017, 04:39 AM

GW won't survive another 2 years.

Özim
02-06-2017, 08:35 AM
Is is season ticket renewal time? This Mbappe rumour seems to be coinciding with that if it is...just saying like.

selassie
02-06-2017, 08:36 AM
M'Brrrapppe

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transfert-mercato-d-ete-au-tour-d-arsenal-de-convoiter-kylian-mbappe/806556

http://media.balls.ie/uploads/2013/09/Wenger-GIF.gif

Özim
02-06-2017, 08:47 AM
http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/02/bye-bye-alexis-sanchez-arsene-wenger-plans-to-build-arsenal-team-around-kylian-mbappe-6678869/

:lol: I smell bullsh*t.

GP
02-06-2017, 09:54 AM
https://twitter.com/JamesOlley/status/870572810430803968

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Mbappe's agent has said, despite enquiries from the world's elite clubs, his client intended to stay at Monaco for another season, but now Arsenal has expressed an interest the lure of Europa League football and teaming up with Giroud is difficult to resist.

selassie
02-06-2017, 10:05 AM
The bid sounds like it is legit but he won't be coming here, why would he when he has the cream of Europe after him?

Özim
02-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Talk is this is a genuine bid, Mbappe has dreamt of being on the list of players Wenger almost signed all his life.

KSE Comedy Club
02-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Is he actually an £87m player though? more? inflated price?

Would we ever spend that much on a player without selling?

I doubt it.

Özim
02-06-2017, 11:59 AM

I doubt it.

Scored 15 goals from what I can see, seems a lot of money for a guy who's really only emerged this season, but who knows in the crazy world of football.

KSE Comedy Club
02-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Scored 15 goals from what I can see, seems a lot of money for a guy who's really only emerged this season, but who knows in the crazy world of football.

Hmm that's what I thought. I honestly don't know much about him.

Hardly record breaking stuff tbh, and in the French league. Giroud was top scorer there the season before we bought him......

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 12:24 PM

I doubt it.

Of course he's not. He's a kid that has shown potential, like many that went before him. Circumstances will dictate whether he comes good. The wrong decision now, like going to Madrid, and he's fucked. Rodriguez, the last great whizzkid wonderkid next Pele, is about to be offloaded after a modest shift at that level. They signed some other youngster too a while back, some Scandinavian kid, wasn't it, for a ridiculous amount. Can't recall hearing his name in an age.

Look at Martial, another next big thing. Exploded on the scene. Silly money and now Maureen wants to shift him on. So 87mill is a ludicrous amount, but that's what football is all about, lunacy. It has become one big factory for shifting huge amounts of money from huge amounts of people and into the pockets of mostly mediocre men who have found themselves in the right place at the right time.

If Mbappe does make it and becomes the next Henry it won't be because he's had one good season in France, it'll be because he grafts for the next 5 years under the tutelage of a manager who knows his stuff. And most importantly of all, he needs to get game time.

In gypoland he'll be up against Aguero and Jesus. In chavland he might land the starting spot if Costa fucks off. In Madrid he'd be on the bench half the time and in a poisonous ego-hell, with us he'd likely start, but I bet on the wing. I bet.

Conte, starting for the chavs, PL champs, CL footie, big wages - that would be his best option I think. It's roulette at Madrid. Depends ifthe kid is in this for football or if he has already been corrupted by his agent.

KSE Comedy Club
02-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't we be better spunking large amounts of money on experience and class though?

Oh, hang on, we've all been here before.

The Arsenal transfer carousel

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Arsene Wenger's side have long-standing interest in the France international but are now set to lose out.

Reports in France suggest the Gunners have made an £87million bid for Mbappe, but with Real Madrid circling and Arsenal unable to offer Champions League football it is unlikely they will get their man.

Translation:

Wenger dithered for years, signed Sanogo instead.

Wenger fucked it by not even managing to retain his coveted 4th place trophy so he could con serious footballers into a contract.

Wenger hurts Arsenal every morning he walks through the door.

selassie
02-06-2017, 12:45 PM

I doubt it.

He looks the real deal to me. He scored a lot of goals in CL too against decent opposition like Citeh, Dortmund & Juve. Whoever gets him will have a future worldie on their hands.

The fee is crazy I agree, but the market is nuts right now.

I reckon any bid like that from us would be riddled with clauses and structured over a long period.

He's not coming here anyway, way too much heat on him. He'll end up at Real IMO.

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't we be better spunking large amounts of money on experience and class though?

Oh, hang on, we've all been here before.

The Arsenal transfer carousel

Vidal still pisses me off because it was such an obvious signing. But we still need a player like that.

Draxler was another horrible miss.

Both players went cheap in this silly market, we didn't even compete because Wenger was there telling us the players we already had were good enough. What a fool.

It's really hard to identify a single significant target now we have started to drop down the league. Multiple opportunities stared Wenger in the face and he let them all pass.

Hard to know what we could offer to persuade a serious striker to come here. Would have to be Chinese level wages I guess. And we can't do that with Alexis and Ozil demanding huge wages too, not without selling them off. Wenger has created a right mess. He's turned us into a second tier club and we are starting to experience what it's like to be chasing that gap between the elite clubs and the rest. This could be a long period in the wilderness.

Özim
02-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Vidal still pisses me off because it was such an obvious signing. But we still need a player like that.

Draxler was another horrible miss.

It's really hard to identify a single significant target now we have started to drop down the league. Multiple opportunities stared Wenger in the face and he let them all pass.

Hard to know what we could offer to persuade a serious striker to come here. Would have to be Chinese level wages I guess. And we can't do that with Alexis and Ozil demanding huge wages too, not without selling them off. Wenger has created a right mess. He's turned us into a second tier club and we are starting to experience what it's like to be chasing that gap between the elite clubs and the rest. This could be a long period in the wilderness.

Yeah it's happened numerous times, top players reasonably priced and we've passed up the opportunity when we were crying out for players like that and let someone else get them for next to nothing.

To be honest you'd have to be a fool to come here now with the club as it is, there's no hope of picking up medals for the big prizes or even competing in them, few top class players to play alongside, tactics that are nonsense (as a striker you'll probably end up at full back) and money wise we're not going to compete with the big boys and if we did why would you choose a club on a downward spiral with a guy whose idea of successful management is a positive balance sheet, because realistically even if we were hypothetically going to offer higher wages, it would probably be £1 more.

Both players went cheap in this silly market, we didn't even compete because Wenger was there telling us the players we already had were good enough. What a fool.

A tin pot record breaking one though!:lol:

Niall_Quinn
02-06-2017, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znp018ANvQs

Oh Robbie :doh:

GP
02-06-2017, 09:04 PM
http://www.beinsports.com/en/premier-league/video/wenger-sanchez-and-ozil-arent-leaving-this-su/558696

Wenger :bow: