PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Leicester City (home).

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2017, 08:43 PM
We won an opening game of the season again! :faint:

Also, nice easy one.

Xhaka MotM. Involved in at least four goals.

GP
11-08-2017, 08:44 PM
Xhaka has been a super signing. Great player.

Kolasinac is a beast of a man.

Giroud continues to deliver.

WENGER IN!

Globalgunner
11-08-2017, 08:45 PM
We were shit....but we won

Letters
11-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Wenger :bow:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-08-2017, 08:48 PM
We can dominate posession but not a game.

Wenger does deserve credit though he was bold with his substitutions and it paid off

As we are a confidence team this will do us good.

LDG
11-08-2017, 08:49 PM
Top of the league on points, not just starting letter :bow:

rodders
11-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Pulled it out of the fire but all the usual problems and frailty all too apparent

Master Splinter
11-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Wenger :bow:.

Gazidis :bow:.

Sir Chips :bow:.

Leicester :haha:.

Özim
11-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Enteraining game, awful in defence but some good performances going forward, Lacazette looked great! Giroud is a great sub to bring on late on, just don't start him.

Xhaka is a 35k player though, absolutely hopeless.

GP
11-08-2017, 08:51 PM
3 points clear. :bow:

Master Splinter
11-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Xhaka top of the assist charts :bow:.

LDG
3 points clear. :bow:

We'll take some catching now. 3 points clear, 37 games to go.

It's in our hands now.

Power n Glory
Xhaka is a long ball expert. But pressure on him and he'll give the ball away. Two assists but Ramsey and Giroud did well to score because those weren't on the plate chances.

Thought Ox showed some bright moments. Lacazette looks the business but needs service. Ozil needs to wake up and play some football. Welbeck is a shite. Tidy play and assist from Elneny but he'll be benched for Ramsey in the next game.

Letters
11-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Spuds :pal:

#mindthegap

Özim
11-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Xhaka is a long ball expert. But pressure on him and he'll give the ball away. Two assists but Ramsey and Giroud did well to score because those weren't on the plate chances.

Thought Ox showed some bright moments. Lacazette looks the business but needs service. Ozil needs to wake up and play some football. Welbeck is a shite. Tidy play and assist from Elneny but he'll be benched for Ramsey in the next game.

Summed up perfectly.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Wenger with Neville and Carragher!

:haha:

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2017, 09:01 PM
He still looks elegant for a mentalist.

GP
11-08-2017, 09:01 PM
https://streamable.com/bmw4u

Mahrez :lol:

Power n Glory
11-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Enteraining game, awful in defence but some good performances going forward, Lacazette looked great! Giroud is a great sub to bring on late on, just don't start him.

Xhaka is a 35k player though, absolutely hopeless.

The only way I'd start Giroud is if we were looking to pair him up with Lacazette with two strikers. There is no need to play with Welbeck and Ozil slightly behind a lead striker. It's a waste. Put Ozil as a number 10 and play two strikers up front. We have a better chance of Giroud and Laca forming and understanding and teeing each other up.

McNamara That Ghost...
11-08-2017, 09:04 PM
Wenger with Neville and Carragher!

:haha:

They go on and on about a lack of leaders; they have a chance to challenge Wenger on it and they weasel out of it completely.

GP
11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Lacazette goal
https://streamable.com/hl2dn

Welbz wonderstrike
https://streamable.com/01g5t

Rambo peach
https://streamable.com/a4poz

Sexy French bastard meaty header
https://streamable.com/3gcf5

Master Splinter
11-08-2017, 09:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmrqLKXWYAAFlr8.jpg

What a man. :bow:

GP
11-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Looks like Giroud but with AIDS.

Cripps
11-08-2017, 09:13 PM
Really excited about our attacking options :dance:

Lazacette :bow:

Giroud coming off the bench and doing exactly what he's good at doing- changing the game.

We have a group of top class attackers, adding depth and variety to our game. Exactly what you need to win the title.

Sadly the defence was shite but it was makeshift.

3 points all that matters today. Opening day curse abolished and hopefully a few more players back for the next game :dance:

Penguin
11-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Look at Maguire trying to pull down Giroud and ending up on the floor instead. :lol:

Giroud :bow:

Marc Overmars
11-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Won a bit of cash on 4-3 with Giroud to score at 2-3 down. Fuck yes.

GP
11-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Look at Maguire trying to pull down Giroud and ending up on the floor instead. :lol:

Giroud :bow:

Maguire is a mountain but Giroud just ragdolled him. Love it.

LDG
11-08-2017, 09:18 PM
https://i2.wp.com/www.mensok.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/French-cut-with-all-around-beard-in-face.jpg

GP
11-08-2017, 09:27 PM
https://i.redd.it/wyh3fkpoe6fz.jpg

Master Splinter
11-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Giroud when Lacazette starts over him next week:

https://typeset-beta.imgix.net/2017/3/13/3006154f-4442-4d5d-ba99-b2ba94ac5a67.png?w=740&h=444&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

LDG
11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
https://www.freebingo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/brian-blessed-bingo-god.jpg

GP
11-08-2017, 09:51 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/df/9e/34/df9e349f2ee0832ab8bbcab971573275.png

Letters
11-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Pretty much.
Always feel Giroud gets a lot of unfair stick from Arsenal fans.
He's no Aguerro and he won't win you the league but he's a great option to have.
Scored a lot of goals last season.

The Emirates Gallactico
11-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I hope you were just as critical of Xhaka when he lighting it up at latter part of the season last year or bossed Chelsea last Sunday, Zim. :rolleyes:

He's a quality player who plays an integral role to our current shape but he had a stinker today no doubt, but still was able to pull out two assists. Probably didn't help that his regular partner (Ramsey) was out - wasn't much of a surprise that he improved as soon as he came on.

Epic win tbh and one of those games that'll leave any Arsenal fan feeling giddy irrespective of what else is going on. We really could have had double figures in terms of goals - some silky attacking play only tempered by some bad finishes (*glares at Welbeck*) and great saves from Schemichal.

No doubt that the defence had a complete horror show but it was predicted based on shoehorning in two makeshift LB's there. I'd like to think that this was a one-off rather than a sign of things to come - generally we've been quite defensively solid ever since we went to three at the back. Personally I'd move the Bosnian beast to LWB next game and put Mustafi in the three.

Also surely for the love of god it's time to abandon the zonal marking system at corners? Completely dominated in the air by attacking players with a running start. :doh:

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Didn't see it, apart from the last few minutes when I popped in to win it for us.

Few seconds I saw from Lacazette looked very worrying. On several occasions he failed to panic when in possession and he had a tendency to turn towards the opposition goal. Early days, Wenger has plenty of time to work with him.

Niall_Quinn
11-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Pretty much.
Always feel Giroud gets a lot of unfair stick from Arsenal fans.
He's no Aguerro and he won't win you the league but he's a great option to have.
Scored a lot of goals last season.

He got a lot of stick because of Wenger. As you say, he's a squad player, but Wenger used him as the starting striker and then claimed we were challenging for titles.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-08-2017, 10:39 PM
I thought Xhaka was very good today. I thought Holding had a nightmare and Elneny just isn't progressive enough much as I like his reliability. Bellerin was poor, the back line as a unit was a complete shambles and Cech had a mixed bag.

Delighted we managed to snatch a win though and send Vardy home unhappy.

Letters
12-08-2017, 07:05 AM
He got a lot of stick because of Wenger. As you say, he's a squad player, but Wenger used him as the starting striker and then claimed we were challenging for titles.

Fine, but then your ire should be directed at Wenger, not Giroud. You direct it at both as do many, seems harsh on Giroud who actually had a very good record for us last year.

Özim
12-08-2017, 07:34 AM
I hope you were just as critical of Xhaka when he lighting it up at latter part of the season last year or bossed Chelsea last Sunday, Zim. :rolleyes:

He's a quality player who plays an integral role to our current shape but he had a stinker today no doubt, but still was able to pull out two assists. Probably didn't help that his regular partner (Ramsey) was out - wasn't much of a surprise that he improved as soon as he came on.

Epic win tbh and one of those games that'll leave any Arsenal fan feeling giddy irrespective of what else is going on. We really could have had double figures in terms of goals - some silky attacking play only tempered by some bad finishes (*glares at Welbeck*) and great saves from Schemichal.

No doubt that the defence had a complete horror show but it was predicted based on shoehorning in two makeshift LB's there. I'd like to think that this was a one-off rather than a sign of things to come - generally we've been quite defensively solid ever since we went to three at the back. Personally I'd move the Bosnian beast to LWB next game and put Mustafi in the three.

Also surely for the love of god it's time to abandon the zonal marking system at corners? Completely dominated in the air by attacking players with a running start. :doh:

Don't rate the guy sorry, every player has one match where he bosses the game, just look at Wilshere against Barca and look where he is now and Eboue when he had Real in his pocket, the argument that a player once played this amazing match once upon a time is lame and has been shown to be irrelevant over the years.

Xhaka, is a poor tackler, slow and his passing really isn't all that, today it was abysmal and definitely caused one of the goals against us. he's another one of these very very overrated Arsenal players and there have been plenty of those, who sit around doing very little but for some reason are hailed as quality, the proof is in consistent performances throughout a season not one off games every 6 months.

we could have done so much better with that 35 million, I wouldn't have waste 35 million on a DM who can't tackle (something his own manager admits), it's ridiculous.

I've always preferred players who have consistently delivered, season after season hence the reason I was pleased with Lacazette who has shown he can score goals and lots of them, trouble is Wenger rarely ever goes for players like these, instead preferring to go for relative unknowns like Xhaka, no other top club does this, maybe that's why they are much more successful though.

As for the poor defensive performance being a one one, have you not seen us play in the last 10 years, our defence is and has been awful, you can discount the run at the end of the season where there's nothing major to play for as that's when we put a meaningless mini unbeaten run together every season, this is what Wenger uses to judge a whole season but this proves nothing because the following season when the real business comes up again we don't then get the same results.

Our defence isn't good enough end off, Mertesacker is slow and too old now as well, Gabriel is average, Koscielny is decent but error and injury prone, Chambers isn't up to it and Holding whilst talented needs to be eased in gradually as he's very young.

We'll be conceding left right and center again in the near future no doubt about it as the defenders aren't good enough, the tactics are wrong and the coaching is sub standard as well, that's even before you start talking about how the midfielders like Xhaka completely fail to protect the defence behind them and if anything making it more difficult for them with shocking misplaced passes!

Özim
12-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Fine, but then your ire should be directed at Wenger, not Giroud. You direct it at both as do many, seems harsh on Giroud who actually had a very good record for us last year.

That's not how it works though, if a player isn't performing then he gets the blame, in the grand scheme of things yes the manager is to blame though, but everyone knows that Wenger i to blame for all the problems in the team and the personnel, but the player will always get some blame.

Giroud is and always has been a squad striker, what I will say is he's was looking for a move this summer as he wasn't playing enough (in the end he didn't go though), which suggests he see's himself as good enough to be a starter, if that's the case though he needs to deliver on the pitch when he does start and more often than not he doesn't.

Marc Overmars
12-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Catching up on the highlights now. Pretty decent header from Lacashite and shockingly, a decent touch and finish from Ramsey. :faint:

Classic Giroud header too, there isn't a better plan B in the business than that big oaf. Somehow Welbeck managed to make a tap-in look clumsy as fuck as well...

Unconvincing stuff as usual but at least we managed to start with 3 points this time. Wenger out saved for another day.

KSE Comedy Club
12-08-2017, 07:50 AM
I hope Sanchez feels ashamed, the team should've waved their middle fingers at him at half time :lol:

Özim
12-08-2017, 07:54 AM
I hope Sanchez feels ashamed, the team should've waved their middle fingers at him at half time :lol:

He was late returning from the Confed cup, ill and then had an abdominal strain. Next week he'll have a headache and the following week he'll be washing his hair!

Xhaka Can’t
12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Well, let's not pretend that wasn't an exciting match. I'll take those nuggets of entertainment because they are few and far between.

We aren't going to win the league but if we can be entertained like that, then this will do.

Giroud, when used as a sub is a real asset to the team. That, coupled with him being an acceptable starter when better options are unavailable, make him a very important part of the squad.

Letters
12-08-2017, 08:08 AM
That's not how it works though, if a player isn't performing then he gets the blame, in the grand scheme of things yes the manager is to blame though, but everyone knows that Wenger i to blame for all the problems in the team and the personnel, but the player will always get some blame.

Giroud is and always has been a squad striker, what I will say is he's was looking for a move this summer as he wasn't playing enough (in the end he didn't go though), which suggests he see's himself as good enough to be a starter, if that's the case though he needs to deliver on the pitch when he does start and more often than not he doesn't.

But Giroud is performing. That's my point. He is not and will never be an Henry (spoiler alert, I don't think we'll ever see a player like that at Arsenal again) but at the level he's at, he is performing. He had a great record last season, his goals/minutes ratio was better than everyone bar Kane. Yes, he is more effective when coming on as an impact sub than a starter but then it's up to the manager to make the most effective use of him. Giroud won't win you the league but he could be part of a squad which could.

GP
12-08-2017, 08:25 AM
His goal was actually really impressive. No one else in the squad was scoring that.

selassie
12-08-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm happy with the 3 points and the fact we came back from behind but we still look a real mess tactically from what I have seen of the highlights.

As others have said, we won't be winning the league this season but I'd take that entertainment we got yesterday every week!

Niall_Quinn
12-08-2017, 09:23 AM

No. Because he's a professional footballer who gets paid a fortune for the privilege. He's not good enough to be the main man, yet he has stepped on the pitch often enough in that roles. So he takes the rewards and is also entitled to the criticism when he fails.

Özim
12-08-2017, 09:45 AM
But Giroud is performing. That's my point. He is not and will never be an Henry (spoiler alert, I don't think we'll ever see a player like that at Arsenal again) but at the level he's at, he is performing. He had a great record last season, his goals/minutes ratio was better than everyone bar Kane. Yes, he is more effective when coming on as an impact sub than a starter but then it's up to the manager to make the most effective use of him. Giroud won't win you the league but he could be part of a squad which could.

Is he though, I know he scores a few goals but he also goes on long spells without goals, his goals generally come in groups of 2 rather than in an even spread over the season.

As a starter he doesn't perform well enough, as an impact sub it's more about getting the odd goal when we need him but as a regular striker it involves scoring regularly which he just doesn't do.

Penguin
12-08-2017, 09:50 AM
I know it was a makeshift defence but our defending is a worry. Monreal doesn't look comfortable as the middle CB so he should only play as the left side CB in a back three. Holding's still learning and isn't ready to be starting first team games yet.

As for our set piece defending I don't even know where to start. Everyone standing on the spot and waiting for someone else to attack the ball. We rely too much on Giroud for defending set pieces, which isn't very smart when he isn't even a guaranteed starter.

Cripps
12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
I got round to watching sky's post match analysis and had to turn it off halfway through.

They made sure not to mention the fact our defence was makeshift as much as possible, I even heard 'there were no leaders out there tonight, look at Leicesters goal'... yes our 3 first choice, commanding centre backs were out injured you muppets :doh:

But that doesn't fit in with their 'arsenal are soft defensively' narrative :rolleyes:

GP
12-08-2017, 11:43 AM
That's fine. Let them.

We'll just keep winning.

Power n Glory
15-08-2017, 02:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXM_gd4zQ7E

Good video from Henry. We need our passers to step up their game. Couple of passes Xhaka should have seen and played to Lacazette.

Özim
15-08-2017, 03:28 PM

Good video from Henry. We need our passers to step up their game. Couple of passes Xhaka should have seen and played to Lacazette.

Lacazette is exactly the type of player we should have signed years ago, intelligent on the ball, makes brilliant runs, knows where the goal is. We only got him due to pot luk of course, he was heading for Athletico (they have a good eye for a top striker) if not for the transfer ban, not a Wenger type player, probably only signed him because he ran out of options (as per Perez) oh and he's French of course with Wenger always likes.

But yeah Xhaka's lack of vision is impressive, insisting on going sideways rather than forward, he's been taught well, the only thing that can go wrong for Lacazette is if we insist on playing Wengerball and passing sidways all the time, it will obviously limit the amount of goals he can get if we do that.

Power n Glory
15-08-2017, 03:50 PM
Lacazette is exactly the type of player we should have signed years ago, intelligent on the ball, makes brilliant runs, knows where the goal is. We only got him due to pot luk of course, he was heading for Athletico (they have a good eye for a top striker) if not for the transfer ban, not a Wenger type player, probably only signed him because he ran out of options (as per Perez) oh and he's French of course with Wenger always likes.

But yeah Xhaka's lack of vision is impressive, insisting on going sideways rather than forward, he's been taught well, the only thing that can go wrong for Lacazette is if we insist on playing Wengerball and passing sidways all the time, it will obviously limit the amount of goals he can get if we do that.

I’m surprised Xhaka didn’t play him through on those. That sort of ball is what he’s supposed to be best at. Time will tell. Now that we’re playing someone that make off the shoulder runs, I’m expecting a lot more from Ozil especially. That if he stays.

You’ll disagree with this, a lot of people will, but Lacazette is the sort of striker Theo Walcott should have been. We should have developed Theo playing through the middle and not on the wing.

Özim
15-08-2017, 03:54 PM
I’m surprised Xhaka didn’t play him through on those. That sort of ball is what he’s supposed to be best at. Time will tell. Now that we’re playing someone that make off the shoulder runs, I’m expecting a lot more from Ozil especially. That if he stays.

You’ll disagree with this, a lot of people will, but Lacazette is the sort of striker Theo Walcott should have been. We should have developed Theo playing through the middle and not on the wing.

Me too but he's probably brainwashed into playing that sideways rubbish, it's deeply ingrained into the club culture in the way the counter attacking which brought so much success wasn't, very odd because that style of play has coincided with us failing consistently.

Walcott would have certainly been better served to have balls over the top due to his pace no doubt, but in terms of talent Lacazette is clearly a very good goalscorer, one that instinctively knows where to be and who makes clever runs to get away from defenders.

For me Lacazette was a logical choice, a proven goalscorer who is at a good age and has conistently scored goals, the only other player who comes close to him since 2005 was Eduardo but of course the league he came from was of a lower standard, though he seemed to have a decent finish when he arrived.

Incidentally can't believe it's now 13 years since we won a title and since our last major honour incidentally, that's a pretty long time for a club our size.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2017, 05:05 PM

Content blocked by the uber cunts at Sky.

Power n Glory
15-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Me too but he's probably brainwashed into playing that sideways rubbish, it's deeply ingrained into the club culture in the way the counter attacking which brought so much success wasn't, very odd because that style of play has coincided with us failing consistently.

Walcott would have certainly been better served to have balls over the top due to his pace no doubt, but in terms of talent Lacazette is clearly a very good goalscorer, one that instinctively knows where to be and who makes clever runs to get away from defenders.

For me Lacazette was a logical choice, a proven goalscorer who is at a good age and has conistently scored goals, the only other player who comes close to him since 2005 was Eduardo but of course the league he came from was of a lower standard, though he seemed to have a decent finish when he arrived.

Incidentally can't believe it's now 13 years since we won a title and since our last major honour incidentally, that's a pretty long time for a club our size.

With Xhaka, I'm guessing instinct instinct will takeover. Early days but when you see a player make that sort of movement he should be knocking it to him. It did for Ramsey's goal.

I agree about Lacazette being our best striker signing since Eduardo. In terms of experience and goal record for sure. But in terms of a number 9 that can play on the shoulder, I'm not convinced Wenger likes that sort of striker. Theo should have been developed for that role a lot earlier. Vela started as a striker but was also pushed wide. Same goes for Joel Campbell who started as a striker but was pushed wide. He has valued stature and strength for a long time. It's the link up play he wants. Eduardo was even pushed to play out wide once switching to a solo striker. I hope he sticks with Laca as a number 9 and not push him wide left. I don't trust Wenger to stick wity him through a rough patch. Plenty of similar number 9 style players we have had, could have bought or even developed that he has passed up on to play Chamakh, Bendy and Giroud types.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2017, 05:07 PM

Xhaka is more than capable of distributing the ball, but Wenger prefers pointless possession. It's starting to irritate even his biggest fans.

Niall_Quinn
15-08-2017, 05:10 PM
With Xhaka, I'm guessing instinct instinct will takeover. Early days but when you see a player make that sort of movement he should be knocking it to him. It did for Ramsey's goal.

I agree about Lacazette being our best striker signing since Eduardo. In terms of experience and goal record for sure. But in terms of a number 9 that can play on the shoulder, I'm not convinced Wenger likes that sort of striker. Theo should have been developed for that role a lot earlier. Vela started as a striker but was also pushed wide. Same goes for Joel Campbell who started as a striker but was pushed wide. He has valued stature and strength for a long time. It's the link up play he wants. Eduardo was even pushed to play out wide once switching to a solo striker. I hope he sticks with Laca as a number 9 and not push him wide left. I don't trust Wenger to stick wity him through a rough patch. Plenty of similar number 9 style players we have had, could have bought or even developed that he has passed up on to play Chamakh, Bendy and Giroud types.

Link up play for what? That's the bit Wenger can't explain. We link things up... so we can play it back and link things up all over again. Wenger is starting to have a very negative impact on all our players. You can see, they are becoming less and less comfortable in possession and are always looking for the easiest (safest) option. This is 100% Wenger. This is why we see games where we have 102% possession and no shots on goal.