PDA

View Full Version : Mid table mediocrity?

Dial Square Old Boy
27-08-2017, 05:16 PM
With this side, I can't see Arsenal achieving better than 8th. I've seen bad Arsenal sides before, especially in the mid Seventies (that is, before Liam Brady), but this side is leaderless.

rodders
29-08-2017, 12:19 PM
Think you are aiming too high. I can see this side being relegated under the current regime

Xhaka Can’t
29-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Closer to the drop zone in terms of points than the Top 4 is my level of expectation this season.

Somewhere in the middle of 8th and 14th.

Letters
29-08-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure. This isn't the first time we've had a bad start and we have always pulled ourselves together in the past.
It does feel a bit different this time but it is very early days. Still expect top 6 right now.

dostoy
29-08-2017, 12:57 PM
We will know a lot more on Friday.

At the moment it is bottom half for certain but on Friday it could be worse.

I expect Ox, Ozil, Sanchez, Mustafi and Perez to go and I expect no replacements for any of them.

How low would Arsenal have to finish for Wenger to leave, that is the big question.

Letters
29-08-2017, 01:02 PM
At the moment it is bottom half for certain.
No, it won't.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Impossible to confidently predict where we'll finish this year other than to say we have precisely 0 chance of finishing top. It will depend on how other teams perform and will have almost nothing to do with us because we all know what will be happening over the coming months. We'll go on some good runs against weak opponents and we'll be absolutely shit against our supposed rivals and we'll collapse at the key moment. This is already scripted.

If the manc clubs perform to at least a competent standard, if Liverpool keeps the pace, the spuds dig in, the chavs avoid implosion, if none of these clubs have nightmare seasons then we are below all of them for sure. We can't get within a mile of any of these clubs unless they allow us to. That makes 6th the highest we can realistically finish. That puts us competing with your Evertons and Stokes and Southamptons plus maybe one dark horse that over-performs. And that's clearly our level. These are our main rivals. So somewhere between 6th and 11th seems likely, I'll take the middle and say 8th, maybe 7th if the majority of our real rivals have mares. We may even go through most of the season looking like we're fighting for a top 4 spot. But we'll collapse and drop down the table at the most crucial moment.

dostoy
29-08-2017, 01:14 PM
No, it won't.

Are you Wenger or are you just sucking his cock ?

Letters
29-08-2017, 01:17 PM
:blink:

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 01:19 PM
:blink:

That expression looks like you have just taken a big juicy Wenger torpedo right up the gay hatch.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Under Kroenke's ownership we're in serious danger of becoming a Stoke or WBA level club ...... constant mid table mediocrity.

I'm not exaggerating either - just check out his American teams.

Fucking depressing.

Letters
29-08-2017, 01:22 PM
That expression looks like you have just taken a big juicy Wenger torpedo right up the gay hatch.

:lol:

And we were getting on so well today...kinda.

I think we'll finish top 6. Top 4 will be tricky but there's not much quality below the top 4.

selassie
29-08-2017, 02:33 PM
I think we'll finish 6th or possibly 7th/8th. I don't think we can finish above any of Man U, Spuds, City, Chavs or Liverpool this season. 50/50 whether we finish above Everton, I couldn't call it right now.

Leicester could finish above us too...it wouldn't be out of the question.

I think we'll definitely finish somewhere between 6th and 8th.

Letters
29-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Think I agree that those 5 will finish above us, I don't think anyone else is.
Top 6 trophy. Haven't won that one before. :bow:

dostoy
29-08-2017, 04:13 PM
I want far lower than mid-table.

I would be happy with 17th.

Letters
29-08-2017, 04:15 PM
After the infamous 8-2 at Old Trafford people were saying we'd finish mid-table or worse and that top 4 was not possible.
I said it was too early to say that for sure as it was so early in the season and got shouted down.
#LettersWozRight

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
29-08-2017, 04:25 PM
We will find out whether Wenger has it in him to fall so far and then recover to make it look like an achievement again

My guess is he can't do that shit anymore.

But maybe we expect too much it's only the 17th time in ten years we've lost by a margin of three or more goals. People need to put things in perspective

Gooner23
29-08-2017, 04:25 PM
After the infamous 8-2 at Old Trafford people were saying we'd finish mid-table or worse and that top 4 was not possible.
I said it was too early to say that for sure as it was so early in the season and got shouted down.
#LettersWozRight

I think this feels very different.

We went there with a bunch of kids that day and got the hammering we deserved. Players were brought in and the likes of Arteta and Merts stabilised us.

Now though our transfer activity (or lack of it) is just a small part of the overall picture. Wenger has lost the fan base, lost the dressing room by all accounts. His decison making has become comically bizarre. We are in a dire situation with absolutely no cause for optimism. I think we have every chance of finishing mid table and I would never have said that in previous summers.

Letters
29-08-2017, 04:27 PM
It's funny this "lost the dressing room" thing because I've thought that in other seasons but we've always rallied and got it together.
Have to agree it does feel a bit different now but...oh, let's just see where we are at Christmas. That will give us more of an idea of what this lot are going to do or not do.

hobson's choice
29-08-2017, 04:38 PM
#LettersWozRight

We didn't look that bad against United as we did against Pool.

fakeyank
29-08-2017, 04:44 PM
#LettersWozRight

You also wanted Wenger to get 'another season' for many years. #LettersWozWrong

Bumble
29-08-2017, 05:06 PM
depends what we define as mid table - I wouldn't say top 6/7 is mid table.

cricketsi
29-08-2017, 05:11 PM
We didn't look that bad against United as we did against Pool.

That's true. 8-2 did actually flatter Man U.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 05:11 PM
That's true. 8-2 did actually flatter Man U.

And the ref was pure slime.

Letters
29-08-2017, 05:12 PM
You also wanted Wenger to get 'another season' for many years. #LettersWozWrong

I've probably been a bit too patient with him although I have flirted with the Wenger Out camp for quite a while. As far back as 2010/11, the season before the Old Trafford debacle, I was of the opinion that he should have been sacked for the end of that season when we won only 2 of our last 11 league games, ruining any chance we had of the title that year. I have been a bit too quick to forgive though. What I have never done though is over-react to results. Didn't see the Liverpool game. I tell you, my new method of looking up results afterwards and tutting saves you hours, you should try it.. By all accounts we were horrible, but it's not been the first time. A few weeks ago we beat Chelsea at Wembley for the 2nd time in a few months. We aren't suddenly a bad squad. We do seem to have problems with Wenger "losing" them but it's not the first time I've thought that either before they've somehow got it together. Things aren't looking good right now but it's too early to write us off as mid-table candidates. Let's see where we are at Christmas. Predictably, you were one of the people over-reacting to the Old Trafford debacle:

Looks like DW stadium, Craven cottage and the likes will be our main rivals.

#FYWozWrongToo

:p

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 05:13 PM
depends what we define as mid table - I wouldn't say top 6/7 is mid table.

Kind of is. There's the Euro bit, the one who missed out, a narrow band of clubs that will avoid the drop and then a big relegation battle.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 05:15 PM

I've probably been a bit too patient with him although I have flirted with the Wenger Out camp for quite a while. As far back as 2010/11, the season before the Old Trafford debacle, I was of the opinion that he should have been sacked for the end of that season when we won only 2 of our last 11 league games, ruining any chance we had of the title that year. I have been a bit too quick to forgive though. What I have never done though is over-react to results. Didn't see the Liverpool game. I tell you, my new method of looking up results afterwards and tutting saves you hours, you should try it.. By all accounts we were horrible, but it's not been the first time. A few weeks ago we beat Chelsea at Wembley for the 2nd time in a few months. We aren't suddenly a bad squad. We do seem to have problems with Wenger "losing" them but it's not the first time I've thought that either before they've somehow got it together. Things aren't looking good right now but it's too early to write us off as mid-table candidates. Let's see where we are at Christmas. Predictably, you were one of the people over-reacting to the Old Trafford debacle:

#FYWozWrongToo

:p

I think a lot of our problems stem from the fact Wenger is an incompetent fucking idiot. If he could stop being that then we'd improve.

Bumble
29-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Kind of is. There's the Euro bit, the one who missed out, a narrow band of clubs that will avoid the drop and then a big relegation battle.

I would say top 6 is ok if you make Europe in the league then it isn't mid table.... mid table would be maybe 7-12 then bottom 13-20

actually think we will finish above spuds.... they wont cope with playing at Wembley.

Niall_Quinn
29-08-2017, 05:17 PM
I would say top 6 is ok if you make Europe in the league then it isn't mid table.... mid table would be maybe 7-12 then bottom 13-20

actually think we will finish above spuds.... they wont cope with playing at Wembley.

If we finish above the spuds they should shoot themselves.

The Emirates Gallactico
29-08-2017, 05:23 PM

As good as they were on Sunday I actually expect Liverpool to eventually falter as well - you can't cope with playing at that intensity all season especially with CL football and no winter break. They don't have the same depth as the others do either and their defence is almost as comically inept as ours is.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see us somehow scrape 4th ala past seasons where we've started of horrendously which will mask the usual problems at the club and cause some fans to return to the "Wenger knows" camp.

Master Splinter
29-08-2017, 05:37 PM
But maybe we expect too much it's only the 17th time in ten years we've lost by a margin of three or more goals. People need to put things in perspective

"I must say that it is not the optimal result but I believe yes, we will see many scores like this in the future. When everybody buys top players we cannot say one team is better than the other anymore. We have now many top, top teams. There are no favourites as you will see. There are now maybe fourteen favourites. Can teams like Stoke, West Brom and West Ham challenge for the title? Yes, why not? It is our job to now compete with these new teams and show we have the quality. It is not ideal to lose by three, four, five, six, seven, eight goals. But as well you see if clubs are paying exceptional money for Lukaku, Andre Gray and Chris Wood, you must accept little bit that we are not completely in technical control of the results."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/630748/Arsenal-Wenger-reaction-dnf (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/630748/Arsenal-Transfer-News-Arsene-Wenger-Alexandre-Lacazette)

Penguin
29-08-2017, 05:54 PM
We've had worse teams before and finished in the top four. Hard to say right now where we'll end up but I still expect us to be in the top 6 purely because we have a top 6 squad. We always have a spell in the season somewhere where we go on a bit of a run.