PDA

View Full Version : Post match V Fc Kolon

Dicks and chicks
14-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Iwobi,ospina, wheelchair can fuck off really.

The Emirates Gallactico
14-09-2017, 10:16 PM
If we play without a CM midfield against Chelsea it's going to get ugly.

Clueless play from Iwobi & Elneny tonight .... gave zero options to the defence to pass the ball to and it ultimately just invited pressure. Ultimately the blame has to go to Wenger though.

Marc Overmars
14-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Wonderful

AFC Leveller
14-09-2017, 10:20 PM
They are bottom of the German league and we will have much tougher tests.

Good goals and Kolasinac is showing again what a huge player he can be for us.
Chelsea will be a different animal though and we will have to turn up and not bend over and take it up the arse like we have done recently at Stamford bridge.

Marc Overmars
14-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Just watching the highlights now. Really professional performance, always difficult to get 3 points away in Europe.

Static
15-09-2017, 12:40 AM
Just watching the highlights now. Really professional performance, always difficult to get 3 points away in Europe.

We were at home.

Static
15-09-2017, 12:41 AM
wheelchair can fuck off really.

What did he do wrong?

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 12:45 AM
We were at home.

You may be overlooking the sarcasm intended.

Static
15-09-2017, 05:39 AM
You may be overlooking the sarcasm intended.

It isn't as apparent for non regulars, I guess.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 06:01 AM
A fairly obvious joke to be made tbh. :lol:

Letters
15-09-2017, 07:50 AM
We were at home.

:gp:

MO :doh:

Ahem.

Anyway. Didn't see it although saw we were 1-0 and thought :doh:
Pleased we won. Bigger tests to come, obviously, but job done for now.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 08:03 AM
First half was terrible, the typical lack of midfield control

Our attacking play from wide areas improved in the second half

Lot of long balls I noticed. Looked a lot more cohesive when Wilshere replaced Iwobi

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Have seen people on here defend Ospina as being a decent keeper????

What will it take to convince you otherwise

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Have seen people on here defend Ospina as being a decent keeper????

What will it take to convince you otherwise

Key word being decent. Every 2nd string keeper will have that sort of error in them especially when only getting a few games here or there.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 08:48 AM
A manager that decides to play Iwobi as a CM either doesn't know his own players strengths and weaknesses or totally disregards or underestimates the discipline for that role. I'm going with the latter because the CM position has been a blind spot for Wenger for a long time now.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Key word being decent. Every 2nd string keeper will have that sort of error in them especially when only getting a few games here or there.

Have you ever watched him play for Colombia?

Maybe our definition of decent is divergent. My definition is a bit higher than that of a keeper who at least 50% of the goals they concede are either their fault or you think a better keeper would have saved.

Decision making poor, distribution suspect and too short.

Should have kept Szczesny instead and had him understudy Cech.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Ospina is an excellent shot stopper, and shit at everything else. Always been that way.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Have you ever watched him play for Colombia?

Maybe our definition of decent is divergent. My definition is a bit higher than that of a keeper who at least 50% of the goals they concede are either their fault or you think a better keeper would have saved.

Decision making poor, distribution suspect and too short.

Should have kept Szczesny instead and had him understudy Cech.

No dispute on keeping Sir Ches. Should never have sold him. I don’t watch International football unless a major tournament that. But from what I’ve seen of Ospina, I’ve seen flaws that have cost us but games where he’s saved our bacon. Our 2nd keeper ‘issue’ is a drop in the ocean compared to the other stuff going on.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 09:29 AM
No dispute on keeping Sir Ches. Should never have sold him. I don’t watch International football unless a major tournament that. But from what I’ve seen of Ospina, I’ve seen flaws that have cost us but games where he’s saved our bacon. Our 2nd keeper ‘issue’ is a drop in the ocean compared to the other stuff going on.

Well just because he's not right at the top of the hierarchy of things that are fucked up with the club. Doesn't make it any less baffling that we have kept him, rather than have a back up keeper who could potentially replace an ageing Cech.

Letters
15-09-2017, 09:37 AM
So is anything happening about the away supporters? I don't know all the details but from the bits I've heard well, I suspect if English fans had acted like that abroad they'd have thrown the book at us.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Well just because he's not right at the top of the hierarchy of things that are fucked up with the club. Doesn't make it any less baffling that we have kept him, rather than have a back up keeper who could potentially replace an ageing Cech.

Do you think Sir Ches couldn't have made a similar sort of mistake?

A handful of sporadic games can't determine whether we have a good replacement for Cech. Is this even worth debating?

Özim
15-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Didn't watch it but it's a win against what is a pretty rubbish team, so nothing to get too excited about, we'll definitely face much better sides than them.

Our group is pretty easy to be honest, we should stroll through it.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 10:36 AM
So is anything happening about the away supporters? I don't know all the details but from the bits I've heard well, I suspect if English fans had acted like that abroad they'd have thrown the book at us.

Media sensationalism.

Real story is somebody sold a whole bunch of home tickets to away supporters. A lot. So a ton of Germans ended up in the home sections, which is pretty lucky for the club because when you looked at the home sections in general there were many. many empty seats. Seems that Arsenal fans stayed away in droves last night.

Meanwhile, two Jerries kicked over some railings, about 4 sour Krauts hit stewards with their handbags and a few pissed in the street. Otherwise, considering there was 20 thousand of them, there was nothing much untoward beyond extremely noisy and enthusiastic support.

Daily Mail has "Anarchy at Arsenal" sprawled across the back page :haha:

No anarchy, in fact considering so many away fans got into the home sections, somebody, somewhere behind the scenes did a good job of getting the game kicked off. Must have been an older, less hysterical figure who detected the fact we were dealing with a ton of loud Germans looking to take over the place - been there, seen it, dealt with it before. The Emirates Expects!

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2017, 10:40 AM

They've thrown the book at us.

Letters
15-09-2017, 10:41 AM
:lol: That'll show us!

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Well done to the idiots who sold their tickets to the away fans.

Letters
15-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Arsenal charged with

• Stairways blocked in away supporters sector

Umm. Were they blocked with away fans?

Letters
15-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Tbf if you put something on Ticket Exchange you don't know who it goes to.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4cR1kdHrPQ

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Fuck that. They should continue to do it and not go to the game. Then Wenger can really talk about a 'hostile environment'. :lol: Let's see if they continue throw up those attendance numbers.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Tbf if you put something on Ticket Exchange you don't know who it goes to.

True but you have to be a member for that. Plus, to have been eligible to get tickets for this game you had to be a member before the group stage draw was made. So obviously Cologne fans could not have bought bogus Red memberships.

My guess is that the game was on friends and family sale which meant paper tickets that could easily have been coined in by our fans.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Media sensationalism.

Real story is somebody sold a whole bunch of home tickets to away supporters. A lot. So a ton of Germans ended up in the home sections, which is pretty lucky for the club because when you looked at the home sections in general there were many. many empty seats. Seems that Arsenal fans stayed away in droves last night.

Meanwhile, two Jerries kicked over some railings, about 4 sour Krauts hit stewards with their handbags and a few pissed in the street. Otherwise, considering there was 20 thousand of them, there was nothing much untoward beyond extremely noisy and enthusiastic support.

Daily Mail has "Anarchy at Arsenal" sprawled across the back page :haha:

No anarchy, in fact considering so many away fans got into the home sections, somebody, somewhere behind the scenes did a good job of getting the game kicked off. Must have been an older, less hysterical figure who detected the fact we were dealing with a ton of loud Germans looking to take over the place - been there, seen it, dealt with it before. The Emirates Expects!

I think a lot of the messages of panic came from people pooing themselves

Even the violent Cologne fans were only smacking each other about, and even then probably for a laugh.

I'd rather some of them had behaved a bit better. Or at least a German shepherd had sunk it's teeth into those who were a bit naughty.

But yeah I have to agree....seems like a mountain being made out of a mole hill. Five or six arrests from 20,000?. Not a lot really.

But then I suppose it's alien for us to come across supporters who are actually passionate and haven't been priced out

They love their football in Cologne, even though Helmut Kohl was chancellor last time they were in Europe.

I hope the actual dick heads got a good hiding but as for the rest.....fair play to them.

Letters
15-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Or at least a German shepherd had sunk it's teeth into those who were a bit naughty.
That would have been ironic :d

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Do you think Sir Ches couldn't have made a similar sort of mistake?

A handful of sporadic games can't determine whether we have a good replacement for Cech. Is this even worth debating?

Ospina played his 50th game for Arsenal last night. If I was so minded, I could pick out a plethora of occasions during those 50 games where he fucked up.

But the option is clear for you, if you don't think it's worth debating. Feel free not to.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I think a lot of the messages of panic came from people pooing themselves

Even the violent Cologne fans were only smacking each other about, and even then probably for a laugh.

I'd rather some of them had behaved a bit better. Or at least a German shepherd had sunk it's teeth into those who were a bit naughty.

But yeah I have to agree....seems like a mountain being made out of a mole hill. Five or six arrests from 20,000?. Not a lot really.

But then I suppose it's alien for us to come across supporters who are actually passionate and haven't been priced out

They love their football in Cologne, even though Helmut Kohl was chancellor last time they were in Europe.

I hope the actual dick heads got a good hiding but as for the rest.....fair play to them.

Far too much atmosphere for the Emirates faithful. All they wanted was to eat their caviar and browse on their iPads in peace.

Ralpheroo72
15-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Uefa charging Arsenal for blocking stairways in the away section? Wtf?

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Ospina played his 50th game for Arsenal last night. If I was so minded, I could pick out a plethora of occasions during those 50 games where he fucked up.

But the option is clear for you, if you don't think it's worth debating. Feel free not to.

Knock yourself out. Pull up the last time he's played more than handful of games and had a real run in the team? Say 10 games or so back to back and see what you find. It's hard to judge form off a handful of performances or one off cup games.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Knock yourself out. Pull up the last time he's played more than handful of games and had a real run in the team? Say 10 games or so back to back and see what you find. It's hard to judge form off a handful of performances or one off cup games.

Times like this where I think you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

From February to May 2015 he was essentially our no1 and made a multitude of fuck ups. Was responsible for both goals when Harry Kane scored twice and Spurs won 2-1. Constant terrible distribution gave Spurs posession and put us back under pressure without a respite.

Managed to get lobbed by Gareth McAuley West Broms goal in the final game of that season
Let the ball squirm in from Bafetembi Gomis when we were beaten by Swansea
Was incredibly lucky not to give away a penalty or get sent off when he cleaned out Oscar in the 0-0 draw against Chelsea

Over committed himself and was beaten too easily for Monacos third goal at the Emirates

And that's just off the top of my head.

But of course it's just lack of games that makes the guy a complete clown

I wouldn't mind if it was just the odd mishap here and there, but every game when he plays he manages to fuck up, that can't be all be put down to ring rustiness. I love how people go on about how well he played in Paris last season.

Really???

He produced a lot of saves but a great number of those goal scoring situations had been presented to PSG by him. There was one time he manages to throw the ball out directly to Cavani.

Like NQ said he's a good shot stopper (and even that is questionable some time) but is shit at everything else.

Bumble
15-09-2017, 12:33 PM
They scored a quality goal which I think was a bit of a fluke after watching the striker attempt other things like crossing etc later in the game.

We scored 2 good goals. Walcott enjoyed being offside and fumbling around but least he seemed to make effort. Anyway its our first win on the way to Europa league glory. This is our best chance of the Champions League return we all crave.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Times like this where I think you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

From February to May 2015 he was essentially our no1 and made a multitude of fuck ups. Was responsible for both goals when Harry Kane scored twice and Spurs won 2-1. Constant terrible distribution gave Spurs posession and put us back under pressure without a respite.

Managed to get lobbed by Gareth McAuley West Broms goal in the final game of that season
Let the ball squirm in from Bafetembi Gomis when we were beaten by Swansea
Was incredibly lucky not to give away a penalty or get sent off when he cleaned out Oscar in the 0-0 draw against Chelsea

Over committed himself and was beaten too easily for Monacos third goal at the Emirates

And that's just off the top of my head.

But of course it's just lack of games that makes the guy a complete clown

I wouldn't mind if it was just the odd mishap here and there, but every game when he plays he manages to fuck up, that can't be all be put down to ring rustiness. I love how people go on about how well he played in Paris last season.

Really???

He produced a lot of saves but a great number of those goal scoring situations had been presented to PSG by him. There was one time he manages to throw the ball out directly to Cavani.

Like NQ said he's a good shot stopper (and even that is questionable some time) but is shit at everything else.

Just challenging you to do some research and think about it.

From January 2015 to May 2015 Ospina had a run in the team.

He played 18 league games.
Lost 2 games (Spurs 2-1) and (Swansea 0-1),
Drew 3 games (Utd 1-1, Chelsea 0-0, Sunderland 0-0)

Won the rest and picked up 8 clean sheets in the process. Clean sheets against difficult teams like Stoke, City, Everton, West Ham and Chelsea.

With our record and the sort of horror shows we've seen, that's not bad for a 2nd string keeper. It's not as if Cech hasn't conceded a shit load of goals and been caught out on many occasions.

As said, when he was given a long run of games, he was ok for a 2nd stringer. It's rare to see a 2nd string keeper play a blinder after long periods on the bench. Unless he's playing us of course. ;)

dostoy
15-09-2017, 12:43 PM
They scored a quality goal which I think was a bit of a fluke after watching the striker attempt other things like crossing etc later in the game.

We scored 2 good goals. Walcott enjoyed being offside and fumbling around but least he seemed to make effort. Anyway its our first win on the way to Europa league glory. This is our best chance of the Champions League return we all crave.

There is one thing a lot of people crave a lot more than being back in the CL.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 12:48 PM
There is one thing a lot of people crave a lot more than being back in the CL.

I want us to win the Europa Cup and gain access to the CL. I want us to do well in the league as well but won't celebrate a Top 4 finish.

Letters
15-09-2017, 12:50 PM

Won the rest and picked up 8 clean sheets in the process. Clean sheets against difficult teams like Stoke, City, Everton, West Ham and Chelsea.

Says the man who always downplays statistics :whistle:

:run:

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Just challenging you to do some research and think about it.

With our record and the sort of horror shows we've seen, that's not bad for a 2nd string keeper. It's not as if Cech hasn't conceded a shit load of goals and been caught out on many occasions.

As said, when he was given a long run of games, he was ok for a 2nd stringer. It's rare to see a 2nd string keeper play a blinder after long periods on the bench. Unless he's playing us of course. ;)

And during that period at least two games where we dropped points can pretty much be attributed to him

Frankly we were in good form in that time, and managed to get results inspite of him

No I don't expect a second choice goalkeeper to be world class but I do expect them to be competent and not a liability

He could have cost us the FA cup if not for us going up the other end and scoring in the final.

I simply cannot think of any keeper back up or otherwise that consummately makes the kind of fuck ups he does. Not even Almunia at his worse.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I cannot think of a worse keeper that has played as many games in goal for us as Ospina.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 01:01 PM
And during that period at least two games where we dropped points can pretty much be attributed to him

Frankly we were in good form in that time, and managed to get results inspite of him

No I don't expect a second choice goalkeeper to be world class but I do expect them to be competent and not a liability

He could have cost us the FA cup if not for us going up the other end and scoring in the final.

I simply cannot think of any keeper back up or otherwise that consummately makes the kind of fuck ups he does. Not even Almunia at his worse.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I cannot think of a worse keeper that has played as many games in goal for us as Ospina.

You can't be serious. But if that's your opinion, it is what it is.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Almunia was at best an average keeper but he made far fewer overall mistakes.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Says the man who always downplays statistics :whistle:

:run:

I downplay it when people throw around statistics without context. The Ozil one with chances created is a perfect example.

Ozil has created 15 chances but can anyone say he's having a good season or playing anywhere near to his potential?

Also, if Lacazette is the ideal man that should help Ozil shine and bag more assists, how many of the chances has he created for Lacazette?

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Almunia was at best an average keeper but he made far fewer overall mistakes.

Is that a fact? Prove it.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I think Ospina shares all the strengths and weaknesses Almunia had. They're very similar keepers.

Not a fan of either though, but in Ospina's case I'm not really bothered given he won't play in the league.

Letters
15-09-2017, 01:22 PM
I downplay it when people throw around statistics without context. The Ozil one with chances created is a perfect example.

Ozil has created 15 chances but can anyone say he's having a good season or playing anywhere near to his potential?

Also, if Lacazette is the ideal man that should help Ozil shine and bag more assists, how many of the chances has he created for Lacazette?

Your stat has little context too. A 'keeper can keep a clean sheet simply because we dominated the game and they came under little pressure or because the opposition's strikers were wasteful.
Or they can have a great game but be beaten by a shot that no 'keeper could be expected to save.
Like assist stats, clean sheets stats tell you something but they don't paint the whole picture.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Nah, this is a classic case of absence making the heart grow fonder. Almunia was absoutely dog shite for most his tenure at us apart from a brief spell (when the Almunia for England noise started).

Ospina has been decent for us and saved our bacon a few times but it's been tempered by a few high profile mistakes, notably against Olympiakos.

Also the goal against Chelsea in the cup final wasn't a GK mistake per say, more that he didn't have the GK quality to save it (a taller GK with stronger wrists like a De Gea, Courtois .. could have pushed Costa's shot just wide).

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Your stat has little context too. A 'keeper can keep a clean sheet simply because we dominated the game and they came under little pressure or because the opposition's strikers were wasteful.
Or they can have a great game but be beaten by a shot that no 'keeper could be expected to save.
Like assist stats, clean sheets stats tell you something but they don't paint the whole picture.

In the context of the argument and whether or not he's a decent 2nd string keeper, the wins, loses and clean sheet stats makes sense. I'm not arguing that he doesn't make mistakes or world class.

The chances created stat is ridiculous because you'll quote it even though you'd watched the game and seen we've looked flat creatively and created next to nothing.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Nah, this is a classic case of absence making the heart grow fonder. Almunia was absoutely dog shite for most his tenure at us apart from a brief spell (when the Almunia for England noise started).

Ospina has been decent for us and saved our bacon a few times but it's been tempered by a few high profile mistakes, notably against Olympiakos.

Also the goal against Chelsea in the cup final wasn't a GK mistake per say, more that he didn't have the GK quality to save it (a taller GK with stronger wrists like a De Gea, Courtois .. could have pushed Costa's shot just wide).

:gp: Almunia was the worst.

Coney
15-09-2017, 01:44 PM
The stats for a keeper indicate more about the general defence and the keeper is only a part of that.

It can be used on an individual player if averaged over a lot of games where the team is mostly the same but the player is not in all of the games. My favourite stat on this is van Nistelroy who was thought to be the great goal scorer for Manu. A journalist analysed the number of points per game during his stay at manu, looking at the average points when he played and when he did not. It turned out that manu averaged half a point per game more when he was not playing, even though he was manu's top scorer by a mile.

I presume the reason is perhaps that when he was there, the team plan was to funnel the feed to him for his tap-ins, so the real work was done by people like Ronaldo, Giggs and Beckham feeding him pin-point crosses onto the end of his boot. When he was not there, the other players contributed to the goals that won the points. So he looks like an over-rated goal scrounger taking the credit for the real work done by the rest of the team.

The media loved him though. He went through a goal drought at one point - no goals for about 8 games, I think. But in the match were he finally got on the score sheet again, he was standing on the 6 yard box facing the goal when Forlan blasted a 25 yard shot that went over his head and hit the crossbar, bounced down and hit RvN on the leg and went in. RvN could have known nothing about it as it was so fast. You could have stood my granny there and she would have been credited with the goal - and she has been dead for 50 years. But the commentator creamed his jeans and said ' a great goal by Nistelroy to get back into his scoring ways'. Tosser.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 02:24 PM

Almunia was an average keeper. Couldn't expect much out of him and was capable of the odd howler

Ospina is definitely a better shot stopper than Almunia was. But I don't remember anywhere near the amount of glaring errors. Almunia had average distribution, his decision making was mixed and was an okish shot stopper (saved a few penalties for us).
I do remember goals we conceded that were Almunias fault, I don't remember the same volume as with Ospina

Spurs, Crystal Palace, QPR, Newcastle, Chelsea, Swansea, Man United, West Brom

Those are games in 2015 I remember him making a fluff that was either costly or could have been costly. That's far too often even for an average keeper.

And then there was the game against Olympiakos where even the stubborn Wenger had to change his mind about playing Ospina in goal for the champions league because he was so shit in that game.

Believe me when I say he's worse than Almunia it's not crying for the moon for Almunia he was terrible at times.

For me it's like comparing Fabien Barthez to Roy Carroll. Carroll was the epitome of average, but Ferguson just couldn't rely on Barthez simply because of the sheer volume of fuck ups.

GP
15-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Ospina is way better than Almunia ever was, c'mon now.

I'll never forgive Almunia for that Danny Rose goal. No idea what the fuck he was doing.

Letters
15-09-2017, 03:06 PM
In the context of the argument and whether or not he's a decent 2nd string keeper, the wins, loses and clean sheet stats makes sense. I'm not arguing that he doesn't make mistakes or world class.
I don't think the stat makes much sense for the reasons I've outlined. A clean sheet doesn't tell you much about the 'keepers performance. As Coney said, the defence play a bigger part in whether we get a clean sheet or not, by all accounts Cech was excellent when we got humped by Liverpool, but for him it would have been a much bigger embarrassment. Assist scores are a bit more meaningful IMO. I take the point about different types of assists but overall I think things like that balance out a bit.

Overall I think He IS a decent 2nd string 'keeper, I just don't think that stat illustrates that for the reasons I've outlined.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't think the stat makes much sense for the reasons I've outlined. A clean sheet doesn't tell you much about the 'keepers performance. As Coney said, the defence play a bigger part in whether we get a clean sheet or not, by all accounts Cech was excellent when we got humped by Liverpool, but for him it would have been a much bigger embarrassment. Assist scores are a bit more meaningful IMO. I take the point about different types of assists but overall I think things like that balance out a bit.

Overall I think He IS a decent 2nd string 'keeper, I just don't think that stat illustrates that for the reasons I've outlined.

The results of the the game, the clean sheets and wins indicate that he hasn't cost us as many games or points as Herb suggests. Again, key word here being decent. He's going to make mistakes but we get that in all areas of the pitch.

Also, I was pointing out that when he's had a long run in the team, we've only lost two games and drawn two. It doesn't paint the full picture but it's enough to show that he's not an absolute calamity that can't be trusted. I suspect like most players, it's hard to judge a player until he gets a full run in the team. At the time when we bought Cech, Ospina had a good run in the team and most weren't blown away by the Cech signing.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Anyway if you want to see why we're so tactically impotent check out these screen shots from Elliot:

https://twitter.com/YankeeGunner/status/908434091627888641

If Wenger really wanted to play three at back he needed to buy a CM or at least train one of Xhaka/Elneny/Ramsay to play in the role effectively. As it is, with the current setup we've pretty much got no central midfield and unless one of the CB goes on a run it's difficult for them to create openings.

Marc Overmars
15-09-2017, 03:47 PM
IMO, 3 at the back was a placebo.

We were so bad last season that Wenger could have made a number of changes and it probably would have made a positive difference. What happened was what normally happens at the tail end of the season when we're on the brink of disaster - we suddenly found our balls.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Anyway if you want to see why we're so tactically impotent check out these screen shots from Elliot:

https://twitter.com/YankeeGunner/status/908434091627888641

If Wenger really wanted to play three at back he needed to buy a CM or at least train one of Xhaka/Elneny/Ramsay to play in the role effectively. As it is, with the current setup we've pretty much got no central midfield and unless one of the CB goes on a run it's difficult for them to create openings.

Wenger has no clue. We used to see similar images when we'd have Ramsey and Wilshere in the middle with Arteta.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 03:58 PM
The results of the the game, the clean sheets and wins indicate that he hasn't cost us as many games or points as Herb suggests. Again, key word here being decent. He's going to make mistakes but we get that in all areas of the pitch.

Also, I was pointing out that when he's had a long run in the team, we've only lost two games and drawn two. It doesn't paint the full picture but it's enough to show that he's not an absolute calamity that can't be trusted. I suspect like most players, it's hard to judge a player until he gets a full run in the team. At the time when we bought Cech, Ospina had a good run in the team and most weren't blown away by the Cech signing.

That's a bit like saying the unbeaten run proves that Lehmann was world class

Now Lehmann was clearly a better keeper than Almunia or Ospina

But world class? No hed flap at corners. Be a silly bollocks and he was responsible for taking the gloss off our title win at white hart lane by being a dick and felling Robbie Keane.

We had excellent defenders in front of Lehmann that season. But I literally don't think it would have been possible to go the whole season unbeaten with Ospina in goal. He is just too much of a liability.

Is he capable of making match winning saves in the way Almunia for instance was not? Yeah for sure. But just couldn't be trusted because of his propensity for errors. Last nights goal was brilliant but it showcased the amount of times his clearances won't pass the half way line and even more so end up at the feet of the opposition.

Total inconsistency, like he made an excellent save at his near post last night but then there will be times where he's just not watching play and is too slow to react to get across his goal when someone is ghosting in.

That isn't down to ring rustiness, that's down to being inconsistent, having poor concentration and having shocking judgement and instincts.

You say it's not a big problem because he's only a back up. But I don't want to be playing any game where we know at any time the goalkeeper could potentially lose you points or cost you at the very least a clean sheet. And who is he a back up to? Petr Cech who is not getting any younger and has at times had problems with injury.

Now do I think that's as big an issue as the central midfield problem No I don't. But as I repeat I've never before watched games for us where I've had such grave misgivings about what will happen in the game simply because of who is in goal like I do with David Ospina.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 04:13 PM
That's a bit like saying the unbeaten run proves that Lehmann was world class

Now Lehmann was clearly a better keeper than Almunia or Ospina

But world class? No hed flap at corners. Be a silly bollocks and he was responsible for taking the gloss off our title win at white hart lane by being a dick and felling Robbie Keane.

We had excellent defenders in front of Lehmann that season. But I literally don't think it would have been possible to go the whole season unbeaten with Ospina in goal. He is just too much of a liability.

Is he capable of making match winning saves in the way Almunia for instance was not? Yeah for sure. But just couldn't be trusted because of his propensity for errors. Last nights goal was brilliant but it showcased the amount of times his clearances won't pass the half way line and even more so end up at the feet of the opposition.

Total inconsistency, like he made an excellent save at his near post last night but then there will be times where he's just not watching play and is too slow to react to get across his goal when someone is ghosting in.

That isn't down to ring rustiness, that's down to being inconsistent, having poor concentration and having shocking judgement and instincts.

:doh: No, it would be like arguing that Lehman was a decent enough keeper to help us go unbeaten at that time and not such a huge liability that he'd cost us the title.

Again, as I said in your original post, decent was the key word. You're arguing as if people have said Ospina is World Class. As if I said he's world class. Is he less than decent?

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 04:41 PM
:doh: No, it would be like arguing that Lehman was a decent enough keeper to help us go unbeaten at that time and not such a huge liability that he'd cost us the title.

Again, as I said in your original post, decent was the key word. You're arguing as if people have said Ospina is World Class. As if I said he's world class. Is he less than decent?

No what I'm saying is saying that because we didn't drop as many points as we might have done during that period you have used as evidence that Ospina is decent. I think that's as spurious as saying going unbeaten in the league made Lehmann world class.

Lehmann is decent
Ospina is not

Lehmann made some ricks and his temprement was questionable

But as I say again the constant errors from Ospina whether he plays frequently, whether he plays sporadically are just far too frequent for him to be considered decent.

No you don't have to be completely error proof to be decent. You just have to be for the most part reliable. And when you have a keeper in goal when more often than not you get results in spite of him than because of him that's not reliable unless you are setting the bar incredibly low.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 04:59 PM
No what I'm saying is saying that because we didn't drop as many points as we might have done during that period you have used as evidence that Ospina is decent. I think that's as spurious as saying going unbeaten in the league made Lehmann world class.

Lehmann is decent
Ospina is not

Lehmann made some ricks and his temprement was questionable

But as I say again the constant errors from Ospina whether he plays frequently, whether he plays sporadically are just far too frequent for him to be considered decent.

No you don't have to be completely error proof to be decent. You just have to be for the most part reliable. And when you have a keeper in goal when more often than not you get results in spite of him than because of him that's not reliable unless you are setting the bar incredibly low.

The dumb thing about your whole argument is that you're saying Sir Chesney should be playing over Ospina. I love Szczesny but he could cost us points and far from reliable.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 05:14 PM
The dumb thing about your whole argument is that you're saying Sir Chesney should be playing over Ospina. I love Szczesny but he could cost us points and far from reliable.

Every keeper can cost you points or make mistakes

Szczesny was an arrogant prick.

But again to ram the point home. Ospina fucks up far more often than he doesn't......the only difference is will he have an OK game where he only has a slight fuck up, or will it be on an industrial scale like against Spurs and Olympiakos in 2015.

Szczesny even at his worst I didn't become more wary simply as a result of him being on the team sheet.

In fact it's the most trepidation I feel at seeing an Arsenal player on the team sheet since Pascal Cygan. And Cygan wasn't even that shit, he was just far too slow and immobile for the premier league would have been fantastic in Italy.

Xhaka Can’t
15-09-2017, 07:01 PM
What you two esteemed board members are arguing about is immaterial because our defence has made a world class keeper look like a chump from Day 1.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 07:09 PM
What you two esteemed board members are arguing about is immaterial because our defence has made a world class keeper look like a chump from Day 1.

And our central midfield has left our defence exposed time and time again.

The toe bone connected to the foot bone

Dem bones Dem bones Dem dry bones

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Our manager deserves all the credit.

Letters
15-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Our manager deserves all the credit.

:gp:

FINALLY! Something we can all agree on

AFC Leveller
15-09-2017, 07:39 PM
A manager that decides to play Iwobi as a CM either doesn't know his own players strengths and weaknesses or totally disregards or underestimates the discipline for that role. I'm going with the latter because the CM position has been a blind spot for Wenger for a long time now.

Agree with every word. Iwobi has stagnated after breaking into the first team at the end of the 15-16 season and hasn't actually improved any of his game. He can't even get a look in anymore and should be sent on loan.

No other manager would play him in a 2 man midfield, no way.

The Emirates Gallactico
15-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Wenger has no clue. We used to see similar images when we'd have Ramsey and Wilshere in the middle with Arteta.

Well if rumours are to be believed then Mustafi pretty much told Wenger about this gaping issue in our midfield which led to us willing to offload him to Inter in the window with Johnny Evans lined up as his replacement.

As with plenty of other things, nothing's going to change until the old fart steps down.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 08:03 PM

I agree. We're talking about a 2nd string keeper here. It's the least of our worries.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 08:09 PM
Agree with every word. Iwobi has stagnated after breaking into the first team at the end of the 15-16 season and hasn't actually improved any of his game. He can't even get a look in anymore and should be sent on loan.

It's the story of almost every young player to come break into the first team under Wenger. Just look at Holding this year. Full of so much promise and now looks a complete mess. You can go as far back as Senderos and Djourou to see the same pattern. The promise quickly fades away.

Iwobi has talent but he hasn't progressed and I doubt he will if he continues to play under Wenger.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 08:42 PM

Where did I read that Wenger is still picking his teams 2 weeks in advance based on tech estimates of fitness and fatigue? Somewhere during the transfer window, might have been Le Grove. Anyway, the bizarre nature of Wenger's team selections add weight to this theory. Though it doesn't explain him doubling down and playing replacements out of position. I don't think anyone can explain that madness.

I can see the theory behind playing an attack minded and technical player in the role, but only if that player is as least somewhat experienced and has been getting game time so he can develop an understanding with his team mates. Of course that's not even possible because Wenger recycles all the players around the victim to make it at least 10 times more difficult. Then the fans get on Iwobi's back and a young prospect who has done very well, considering this is the top level, loses confidence and starts to go backwards.

It's obscene man management. If you want to destroy a player then that's how you do it. You end up with another Theo Walcott, a player that soared into the spotlight, got signed by Wenger and, after a few decent outings that relied on muscle memory, settled into a slow an steady stagnation.

Wenger ruins careers. He used to create them. Now he destroys them. Never mind Iwobi. Can you imagine any other manager handling Walcott so badly? Or Wilshere? Or even Ramsey? He ruined Coquelin too and created the ultimate journeyman. He's tried to destroy Alexis too, but the Chilean isn't having any of it. Wenger has met his match with that guy.

We have to get this fucking cock out of our club. It's completely ridiculous this hasn't happened already. What the fuck is going on?

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Well if rumours are to be believed then Mustafi pretty much told Wenger about this gaping issue in our midfield which led to us willing to offload him to Inter in the window with Johnny Evans lined up as his replacement.

As with plenty of other things, nothing's going to change until the old fart steps down.

He spoke truth to power then? Bad idea when it comes to these tinpot dictators.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 08:49 PM
It's the story of almost every young player to come break into the first team under Wenger. Just look at Holding this year. Full of so much promise and now looks a complete mess. You can go as far back as Senderos and Djourou to see the same pattern. The promise quickly fades away.

Iwobi has talent but he hasn't progressed and I doubt he will if he continues to play under Wenger.

Exactly. He's ruining Holding too. In the first year, when he still retained his training from elsewhere, he was full of fire and confidence. Then Wenger weaves his magic and you end up with a nervous wreck. Obviously the old goat is confusing the shit out of everyone he goes near. Technical this, principled that, cultural the other, but a total refusal to drill the basics. Everything should be built on those basics and the constant practise of them so they become second nature. That's true for sport, flying a plane, playing a piano or fucking a woman. But it's all too vulgar for Le'Imbecile. Did you see him the other day. He almost shat in his hand and threw it at a journo who asked if we should focus on the basics and try to win ugly. According to Wenger, this is not what football is about. Oh no, of course not. Football is about tapping it aimlessly from side to side - every purist knows that.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 08:50 PM
I agree. We're talking about a 2nd string keeper here. It's the least of our worries.

I was going to say that about 5 pages back but I didn't want to disrupt the unexpected traffic to the site.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 09:04 PM
I was going to say that about 5 pages back but I didn't want to disrupt the unexpected traffic to the site.

Again this rather anodyne debate occured because PnG and I differ on our definition of the word decent

Mine is reasonably reliable judgement, distribution etc his is able to keep chin above water when they take a bath

In the great scheme of things no it's not the most important thing. But it's enough to keep me concerned every time Cech takes a knock (yeah we have big issues in front of the goalkeeper but why make things worse)

Secondly this is a match reaction page to last nights game. Ospina fucking up again in the context of him frequently fucking up seemed a relevant point of discussion.

The formation, the playing players out of position. The lack of a plan A let alone B or C. Well known by us all and discussed to death.

And yes we know it won't change until the old fart feels the sting of air freshener.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 09:06 PM
Again this rather anodyne debate occured because PnG and I differ on our definition of the word decent

Mine is reasonably reliable judgement, distribution etc his is able to keep chin above water when they take a bath

In the great scheme of things no it's not the most important thing. But it's enough to keep me concerned every time Cech takes a knock (yeah we have big issues in front of the goalkeeper but why make things worse)

Secondly this is a match reaction page to last nights game. Ospina fucking up again in the context of him frequently fucking up seemed a relevant point of discussion.

The formation, the playing players out of position. The lack of a plan A let alone B or C. Well known by us all and discussed to death.

And yes we know it won't change until the old fart feels the sting of air freshener.

Apology accepted.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
15-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Apology accepted.

What accepted?

I'm unfamiliar with that word.

Power n Glory
15-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Such a team player.

Niall_Quinn
15-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Such a team player.

Albeit out of position.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
15-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Alumina was terrible. Comfortably worse than Ospina.....Though I real hate the annoying thing of standing behind his line which he hasn't done for a while.

Lehmann has tended to be overrated by our fan base though because of the invincible sand the CL run.