PDA

View Full Version : Match Reaction vs Red Star Belgrade (away)

McNamara That Ghost...
19-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Great win.

Well a win anyway.

Bif's goal was fantastic, so was Wheelchair's little burst and Theo's involvement too.

The rest of the match was absolute shite.

Well done to Coquelin for cheating though, got us the win you could say.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
19-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Wilshere looked good in places, certainly far superior to any performance put in by any of our other central midfielders this season.

Walcott - looks like a spiv, plays like a mong

Giroud - completely and totally absent until his goal. How does someone who appears so gangly and uncoordinated score such goals?

Reiss Nelson looks like another promising youngster who Wenger will ruin.

The teams we put out and nine points at this stage, just shows what a load of shit this competition is

Letters
19-10-2017, 08:40 PM
Wenger :bow:

Niall_Quinn
19-10-2017, 09:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcpQdi0-y8I

Ty :haha:

Marc Overmars
19-10-2017, 09:32 PM
We’re going to win this shit.

Cripps
19-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Take 90th min winners like this any day over getting tonked 5-0 to barca.

As for the game, Walcott was useless. Nelson was crap. Still don't see what the hype is about.

Wilshere was excellent.

Girouds making a habit of scoring spectacular goals.

It's ours :bow:

Özim
20-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Remarkable spirit eh? :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41624826

There's not an ounce of spirit in this squad and a scraped win against a minnow from Eastern Europe proves little. Not being funny but for any decent side this was a gimme, yes we beat them but it was hardly anything amazing, they're not exactly Real Madrid.

Wenger should be taking this competition more seriously, we'll be nowhere in the league and this is our best chance of qualifying for the CL, although looking at some of the teams that might dropout from the CL, not sure we've got a great chance of winning this, especially given Wengers horrible record in Europe.

Letters
20-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Wenger should be taking this competition more seriously.
We've won every game :lol:
Elsewhere you've argued that Wenger disrespected the FA Cup...having won it 3 years out of the last 4 and him being the all time record winner of it.
You are silly.

We're not going to win the league but some rotation is needed if we're going to try and compete in 4 competitions. You're the one who said we have good squad depth, why not use it?
Getting back into the top 4 is important not just financially. I would like to think when we get later into the competition and face "proper" sides he will play a stronger team.
You never know with Wenger of course but I have no problem with some rotation here if we still progress in the competition which it looks like we will.

Özim
20-10-2017, 10:00 AM
We've won every game :lol:
Elsewhere you've argued that Wenger disrespected the FA Cup...having won it 3 years out of the last 4 and him being the all time record winner of it.
You are silly.

We're not going to win the league but some rotation is needed if we're going to try and compete in 4 competitions. You're the one who said we have good squad depth, why not use it?
Getting back into the top 4 is important not just financially. I would like to think when we get later into the competition and face "proper" sides he will play a stronger team.
You never know with Wenger of course but I have no problem with some rotation here if we still progress in the competition which it looks like we will.

He's not been playing a full team though, we we're far off from coming unstuck last night, more down to luck than skill really. Yes and he did, but I was saying that in the context that it's not the competition it once was because clubs devalued it by playing weakened sides (Wenger certainly played his part and it will no longer ever be what it once was), which is true, 10 years ago it meant more.

No we're not, I'd play weakened teams in the FA Cup and League (before the Europa League) over the Europa league personally, league is a waste of time and personally would rather win the Europa league and get in the CL that way than doing it the losers way and coming 4th in the league. I don't think we will win it of course, but it's our best competition this year given that we won't win the league, the league Cup and FA Cups are very nice and all that as extras but not as the main goal.

Gone are the days when you genuinely try to win everything you enter (for us anyway), so no we may as well prioritise the more important ones, which is the Europa league bearing in mind the league is out, FA Cup and League cup are nice additions but would rather win the European trophy over those any day of the week.

Penguin
20-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Wenger's comments about us responding to Deeney made me laugh. How exactly did we show character last night?

We were awful for the whole game, and could barely muster up a decent chance apart from that one that fell to Theo in the first half. If anything we buckled under the pressure AGAIN and had to rely on Cech to bail us out with a few good saves. If Belgrade scored one of those chances I don't think we would have had it in us to come back.

It was a great goal though, the only saving grace from a piss poor game.

Özim
20-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Wenger's comments about us responding to Deeney made me laugh. How exactly did we show character last night?

We were awful for the whole game, and could barely muster up a decent chance apart from that one that fell to Theo in the first half. If anything we buckled under the pressure AGAIN and had to rely on Cech to bail us out with a few good saves. If Belgrade scored one of those chances I don't think we would have had it in us to come back.

It was a great goal though, the only saving grace from a piss poor game.

Honestly the guy just does not have a clue, he's an awful manager that literally lives in a different world to everyone else, he sees everything differently, if you told him the Earth is round he'd claim that it's actually flat, he just talks utter nonsense.

Penguin
20-10-2017, 10:14 AM
He's not been playing a full team though, we we're far off from coming unstuck last night, more down to luck than skill really. Yes and he did, but I was saying that in the context that it's not the competition it once was because clubs devalued it by playing weakened sides (Wenger certainly played his part and it will no longer ever be what it once was), which is true, 10 years ago it meant more.

No we're not, I'd play weakened teams in the FA Cup and League (before the Europa League) over the Europa league personally, league is a waste of time and personally would rather win the Europa league and get in the CL that way than doing it the losers way and coming 4th in the league. I don't think we will win it of course, but it's our best competition this year given that we won't win the league, the league Cup and FA Cups are very nice and all that as extras but not as the main goal.

Gone are the days when you genuinely try to win everything you enter (for us anyway), so no we may as well prioritise the more important ones, which is the Europa league bearing in mind the league is out, FA Cup and League cup are nice additions but would rather win the European trophy over those any day of the week.

We can't afford to throw all our eggs in one basket. Mourinho could do that last season because he's a solid tactician and knew he had a great chance of winning the Europa league once they got to the quarter finals. Frankly I don't trust Wenger enough to win the Europa league. This isn't the FA cup where we can scrape past teams like Reading and Hull.

Özim
20-10-2017, 10:33 AM
We can't afford to throw all our eggs in one basket. Mourinho could do that last season because he's a solid tactician and knew he had a great chance of winning the Europa league once they got to the quarter finals. Frankly I don't trust Wenger enough to win the Europa league. This isn't the FA cup where we can scrape past teams like Reading and Hull.

True yes, but the FA Cup/League are no consolation, no place in Europe from either of them, for me that means tey are great as an additional prize to the other trophies but not great as a standalone success.

Wenger isn't a great tactician of course, in all likelyness we won't win the Europa league, once the CL teams dropout one of them will probably do away with us.

Dicks and chicks
20-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Watching Giroud is like losing my anal virginity, absolutely nothing for long period of time then it ends in a filthy moment of magic.

Marc Overmars
20-10-2017, 10:54 AM
To be honest I think we have a better chance of winning this than we do finishing 4th. I hope we use a stronger squad after Christmas when the better teams get involved.

This is our level and it sure as hell beats getting smashed every year in the CL. This experience might even help us improve our performance in the CL if/when we qualify for it again.

Letters
20-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Honestly the guy just does not have a clue, he's an awful manager that literally lives in a different world to everyone else.
Awful manager with an "average" squad and we finished 5th (his lowest ever finish) and won the FA Cup. :lol:

Must have just got very, very lucky I guess.

Özim
20-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Awful manager with an "average" squad and we finished 5th (his lowest ever finish) and won the FA Cup. :lol:

Must have just got very, very lucky I guess.

Already explained that, size of squad. 5th is rubbish though, it's not an achievement, FA Cup is 2nd tier, Portsmouth and Wigan have won it in recent times, for some reason you can't seem to grasp the concept.

McNamara That Ghost...
20-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Ground one out against former European champions if you ask me.

Letters
20-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Already explained that, size of squad.
And I've already explained that size is part of how you assess the strength of a squad

5th is rubbish though
Sounds pretty good for an "average" squad with an "awful" manager :good:

Özim
20-10-2017, 01:02 PM
And I've already explained that size is part of how you assess the strength of a squad

Sounds pretty good for an "average" squad with an "awful" manager :good:

It isn't, quality is IMO and quality backups, we have players who can do a job but who aren't really good enough for a club wanting to challenge,

It isn't.

Letters
20-10-2017, 01:05 PM
It isn't.
You expect an "average" squad with an "awful" manage to finish in the top 4?
:lol:

You are silly. :)

Özim
20-10-2017, 01:33 PM
You expect an "average" squad with an "awful" manage to finish in the top 4?
:lol:

You are silly. :)

I expect, better performances, better wins and more exciting games, not the mundane boring rubbish we spout out every week, we were rubbish last season and finish 5th which says a lot about the quality of the teams below us last season (they were rubbish as well), only difference is we had a bigger squad so could deal with tiredness better.

I also don't expect a 10-2 thrashing by Bayern Munich, that sums up the quality of the squad, how many other teams have been beaten 10-2 by them? So yeah we're rubbish.

You're the silly one :)

selassie
20-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Given that the likes of Atletico Madrid, Seville, Napoli and Borussia Dortmund all sit 3rd in their CL groups and could well be joining us in the Europa League knockout phase I don't think we stand a chance of winning it.

Letters
20-10-2017, 02:17 PM
I expect, better performances, better wins and more exciting games
Why would you expect that from an "average" squad playing under an "awful" manager? :unsure:

Özim
20-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Why would you expect that from an "average" squad playing under an "awful" manager? :unsure:

From the club, not this bunch and that clueless guy at the helm, hence the need for change.

Özim
20-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Given that the likes of Atletico Madrid, Seville, Napoli and Borussia Dortmund all sit 3rd in their CL groups and could well be joining us in the Europa League knockout phase I don't think we stand a chance of winning it.

Yeah we won't beat those sides, nowhere near good enough over two legs, we're 2nd tier now and at the level we belong, unfortunately some teams from a higher level look like they will join and end our chances.

We can give it a go at this or settle for the 2nd tier competitions like the FA Cup and League cup, not much of a choice.