McNamara That Ghost...
10-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Four games against them this season, all draws. :sleep:

Cripps
10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
1 loss in 7 against Chelsea :trophy:

Xhaka Can’t
10-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Lacazette started off well for us but has been well and truly Wengered.

He needs a fresh start. Hopefully with a new manager here.

Cripps
10-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Four games against them this season, all draws. :sleep:

From constantly losing against them to constantly drawing. It's an improvement I suppose.

Cripps
10-01-2018, 10:01 PM

He looks moody and fed up already:lol:

Also morata :haha:

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2018, 10:02 PM

All his close control and speed over the first few yards is gone. He looks like a completely different player to the one who joined.

Marc Overmars
10-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Result is fine but good lord that was an awful watch. We had no designs of winning it at all.

Should be a good 2nd leg though with both teams going for it.

Marc Overmars
10-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Also, I reckon Giroud would have more goals than Lacashite if he had played as many games. 8 goals is poor return.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
10-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Just glad to have stayed in the tie unlike the FA cup. Still annoyed about that.

Power n Glory
10-01-2018, 10:37 PM
The Lacazette issue....it was always a risk buying a striker that plays like a typical number 9. When linked with Lacazette a few years ago, I was hesitant because I don't know how a typical number 9 would operate in this team. Laca isn't a high touch busy player that's doing all the link up stuff. He's always on the end of moves and Wenger has always preferred these high touch players that link up play even if they can't finish (Chamakh, Welbeck, Sanogo, Giourd). Wenger has done Laca no favours with his team selection and change of formation. The constants subs must be killing his confidence too.

Also, I think most of you that have been harsh on Theo playing up front need to have a rethink.

Power n Glory
10-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Also, I reckon Giroud would have more goals than Lacashite if he had played as many games. 8 goals is poor return.

I dunno, man. Giroud scored 12 goals in Prem last season. We've seen Giroud go 10 games without a goal and when we've had better players creating chances for him.

Marc Overmars
10-01-2018, 10:55 PM
I dunno, man. Giroud scored 12 goals in Prem last season. We've seen Giroud go 10 games without a goal and when we've had better players creating chances for him.

Bif wasn’t first choice last season either. He only started 11 league games.

I’m no Giroud fan but I don’t think we’d be any worse off if he was still number 1.

Laca is obviously a good finisher but the return is poor, it can’t be ignored anymore. He needs to start scoring more.

Cripps
10-01-2018, 10:57 PM
We bought a £50m striker and aren't playing to his strengths.

It's ridiculous.

Niall_Quinn
10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
It doesn't matter who you put in there because Wenger thinks a striker is the foremost midfielder who should play with his back to goal and bring the other 9 midfielders into play. The stupid cunt has systematically destroyed Lacazette. On the one occasion when Jack (now injured) put a little ambition into the play Lacazette worked his way off the shoulder of his defender and got a shot at goal. Not a very good one, but why do we see that only once every 3 or 4 games? We have a striker with good pace, plenty of power, good technique and (when he arrived anyway) an eye for goal. Sticking him up front isolated and playing short taps into him is a massive waste and we'd be better of selling him and buying Fellani. Fellani is a big useless lump that will barge into challenges all day long, win it in the air and tap it aimlessly around the place. If that's Wenger's much admired style the journos are still going on about then put a bid in for Fellaini and let's make the transformation to pub team complete.

Nothing is worth judging or analysing in any depth while Wenger is here. He causes everything within a 100 foot radius to wither and die. Look at Kolasinac. Look at Iwobi. Look at Cech. Look at Bellerin. Look at Chambers, Holding, Mustafi, Xhaka. All better players before Wenger got his hands on them.

Power n Glory
10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Bif wasn’t first choice last season either. He only started 11 league games.

I’m no Giroud fan but I don’t think we’d be any worse off if he was still number 1.

Laca is obviously a good finisher but the return is poor, it can’t be ignored anymore. He needs to start scoring more.

Bif in a full season when playing with Sanchez, Santi and Ozil can only manage 14 -16 goals. Playing in this formation and with the amount of games Ozil and Sanchez have missed... I dunno, man.

GP
11-01-2018, 09:18 AM

100%

Lacazette absolutely has to start delivering. I like him but he's been disappointing.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Yeah I think it’s a bit much to blame poor service, that effort of his last night wasn’t exactly the first time he’s done similar stuff.

His confidence seems shot which of course you can blame Wenger for, what’s he doing to address it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 09:27 AM
36 games in, No one is in double figures. By this time last season both Giroud and Sanchez were in double figures.

Lacazette unquestionably looks a better footballer, but brass tacks he has not scored in 7 league games. The kind of form Giroud would be crucified for.

And value matters, for all the abuse we give Giroud the guy has been an absolute bargain for what we paid for him. No he clearly isn’t good enough to be the leading striker for a club at the level Arsenal claims to be, but supposedly Lacazette is and clearly isn’t delivering.

Cripps
11-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Because of Wenger.

If you swapped Lacazette with aguero I think their seasons would be reversed.

It's the system not the player. He gets about 0.5 chances a game.

selassie
11-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Jesus Christ, the state of our team. We look so weak going forward. Sure we had injuries, but only Ozil and Sanchez and maybe to a lesser degree Ramsey would have made any real difference to the offensive side of our game and 2 of those players are off.

0-0 was a decent enough result if we have a full team to choose from for the return leg but we need to up our attacking game to get past this lot in a couple of weeks time.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Because of Wenger.

Lacazette has hardly been that brilliant even when he’s got service. Would he get more gilt edged chances playing for a team which had more creativity in midfield....of course. But as much as Wengers system and the players he chooses to buy are baffling and inexplicable, there has to be a degree of individual responsibility. Should Lacazette be getting more chances of the kind like last night where Jack dinked a ball over to him, yes. But a 50million player shouldn’t be shanking such a chance so badly.

I don’t think it’s an either or thing that it’s either Wengers fault or the players fault. I think it’s both

Power n Glory
11-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Because of Wenger.

This 3-4-3 system isn't working at all. Lacazette isn't getting enough support behind him or either side of him. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 he'd at least have the number 10 to play off and thread him through. Too often in this system he looks isolated. The only play I can see working up front in this system is someone like Alexis.

Giroud scored 11 goals in total for his debut season. Even on his best days he's had seasons where he's gone 8 or more games without scoring. I wouldn't put him in this system and expect the problem to be solved.

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Maybe not last night, but against "lesser" teams why can't we play 4-4-2? I know the ultra-bore managers who lead the fashion trends in such things say 4-4-2 is dead, but if fuck all else is working and we can't get the results anyway or defend to save our lives, and considering we're always outnumbered in midfield because the fuckers are never there, why don't we officially go gung-ho and shoot it out while utilising the strengths of our best forward players? What have we got to lose that we haven't already lost? And at least we'd have something to watch besides Pepball Lite.

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Lacazette has hardly been that brilliant even when he’s got service. Would he get more gilt edged chances playing for a team which had more creativity in midfield....of course. But as much as Wengers system and the players he chooses to buy are baffling and inexplicable, there has to be a degree of individual responsibility. Should Lacazette be getting more chances of the kind like last night where Jack dinked a ball over to him, yes. But a 50million player shouldn’t be shanking such a chance so badly.

I don’t think it’s an either or thing that it’s either Wengers fault or the players fault. I think it’s both

Lacazette displayed a surprising technical level and a keen eye for goal when he first arrived. Something has happened that has detracted from his game. If I had to guess I'd say that something begins with W.

Power n Glory
11-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Maybe not last night, but against "lesser" teams why can't we play 4-4-2? I know the ultra-bore managers who lead the fashion trends in such things say 4-4-2 is dead, but if fuck all else is working and we can't get the results anyway or defend to save our lives, and considering we're always outnumbered in midfield because the fuckers are never there, why don't we officially go gung-ho and shoot it out while utilising the strengths of our best forward players? What have we got to lose that we haven't already lost? And at least we'd have something to watch besides Pepball Lite.

It’s made zero sense to me why we’ve never played a two man striker set up to help solve the problem. Especially now when Wenger has emptied the midfield for this 3-4-3 formation. Why not even try a 3-5-2? We could still play Ozil as number 10 whilst playing Lacazette and Sanchez/Giroud up front.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 10:29 AM
This 3-4-3 system isn't working at all. Lacazette isn't getting enough support behind him or either side of him. If we were playing 4-2-3-1 he'd at least have the number 10 to play off and thread him through. Too often in this system he looks isolated. The only play I can see working up front in this system is someone like Alexis.

Giroud scored 11 goals in total for his debut season. Even on his best days he's had seasons where he's gone 8 or more games without scoring. I wouldn't put him in this system and expect the problem to be solved.

If people are offering Giroud as a solution than I’d say no that’s just daft

But I think people are more comparing a player that cost 13 million and one that cost 50 million and saying that in the same amount of games Giroud could have scored as many if not more goals in the same period, to illustrate that even with the drawbacks of playing under a manager who has no clue what he’s doing...that Lacazette is underperforming.

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Daily Fail: "Arsene Wenger was a grumpy and animated character in the Chelsea press box: 'Every time Alvaro Morata goes down it's a f****** free-kick'"

Maybe so. But for once he's right. In fact Wenger is also right about the poxy refs, so he's been right twice in a week. Progress?

Absolutely true. Every time that cunt Azzaaaahhhhh, and also Morata, went down the ref went straight to the whistle. Azzzaaaahhhh is a notorious cheat. He cheated us last week and he cheated all the way through this game. Will VAR be used to identify and punish the cheats? Somehow I doubt it.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 10:32 AM
And yes I agree, there are games we’ve played where there’s absolutely no reason not to play two strikers

Well actually there is a reason, Wenger doesn’t have the ability to change a formation system on a game by game basis

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Daily Fail: "Arsene Wenger was a grumpy and animated character in the Chelsea press box: 'Every time Alvaro Morata goes down it's a f****** free-kick'"

Maybe so. But for once he's right. In fact Wenger is also right about the poxy refs, so he's been right twice in a week. Progress?

Absolutely true. Every time that cunt Azzaaaahhhhh, and also Morata, went down the ref went straight to the whistle. Azzzaaaahhhh is a notorious cheat. He cheated us last week and he cheated all the way through this game. Will VAR be used to identify and punish the cheats? Somehow I doubt it.

Have to say love it when Wenger uses expletives, makes him more human

https://youtu.be/Auet8ya4aQc

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 10:34 AM

But I think people are more comparing a player that cost 13 million and one that cost 50 million and saying that in the same amount of games Giroud could have scored as many if not more goals in the same period, to illustrate that even with the drawbacks of playing under a manager who has no clue what he’s doing...that Lacazette is underperforming.

13 million when Bif joined is the same as 50 mill today. In this market and factoring in the crazy inflation, they pretty much cost the same. Bif was never good enough to lead the line at Arsenal. He's not a bad player, he's just not the level we needed to make some sort of impact. Lacazette looked like he might be good enough but all Wenger has done is bring the guy in and then force him into a Bif role. Pointless, stupid and a waste. I reckon he'll be looking to leave next season, if Wenger is still lingering.

Power n Glory
11-01-2018, 10:49 AM

It's worth re-reading how we got on to this topic in the first place.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
It's worth re-reading how we got on to this topic in the first place.

Yes someone voiced the opinion that Giroud would have scored more goals in the same amount of games Lacazette has played for us.

Özim
11-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Lacazette is way better then Giroud, Giroud just scores very good goals.

Problem is the system and secondly his confidence is low thanks to Wenger subbing him all the time, we're not really playing to his strengths, he's basically a finisher so if he gets the service he'll score goals, playing two up top would also help but Wenger has been against that ever since the guy discovered the 5 across midfield formation which is a total nonsense IMO, never liked that formation at all.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
11-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Problem is the system and secondly his confidence is low thanks to Wenger subbing him all the time, we're not really playing to his strengths, he's basically a finisher so if he gets the service he'll score goals, playing two up top would also help but Wenger has been against that ever since the guy discovered the 5 across midfield formation which is a total nonsense IMO, never liked that formation at all.

Lacazette is better than Giroud and the system we are playing isn’t helping him, but I think he’s also underperforming. If you consider he scored 8 goals in 15 league games and then none in 7....it suggests that his problems aren’t all due to lack of system, but lack of form and confidence. Now of course Wenger should take responsibility for that, but so must the player

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
11-01-2018, 12:11 PM
36 games in, No one is in double figures. By this time last season both Giroud and Sanchez were in double figures.

Lacazette unquestionably looks a better footballer, but brass tacks he has not scored in 7 league games. The kind of form Giroud would be crucified for.

And value matters, for all the abuse we give Giroud the guy has been an absolute bargain for what we paid for him. No he clearly isn’t good enough to be the leading striker for a club at the level Arsenal claims to be, but supposedly Lacazette is and clearly isn’t delivering.

Perhaps, but he was given more leeway in his first season. Your last paragraph is correct though, the system does not suit him, the team around him is dysfunctional and in a continuous state of flux, he never plays the 90 and he is suffering a lack of form.

I hate the notion of players 'trying too hard' but his scuffed chance really screamed of that yesterday. He was trying some Henry style 'is that enough' smash into the top corner whilst trying to smash the ball into orbit at the same time because he is anxious and frustrated and wanting to prove himself. If he were more relaxed he would have definitely shaped for it better. In that sense playing football is a little like singing....when you are tense and anxious it is very hard to sing through it initially and for people not to notice it as it manifests itself physically.

I'm expecting this year to be better as Wenger is more inclined to leave him on for 90 minutes (having proven his durability to an extent) which should in turn ease a little confidence in his favour and which should in turn help him relax.

Cripps
11-01-2018, 01:29 PM

Exactly

Wenger knew exactly what type of striker he was. He should have bought him willing to change the system and accommodate him. If he wasnt going to do that why spunk £50m on him? Was there any planning to this signing? I think we all know the answer.

Power n Glory
11-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Exactly

Wenger knew exactly what type of striker he was. He should have bought him willing to change the system and accommodate him. If he wasnt going to do that why spunk £50m on him? Was there any planning to this signing? I think we all know the answer.

Of course it makes perfect sense to identify the striker we need based on the 4-2-3-1 system we've been playing for years and then change it to 3-4-3 once we've bought that striker.

The stupidity of our manager knows no bounds.

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 02:40 PM
Wenker today:

'The team selection had nothing to do with the transfer market,' Wenger said. 'Why did I start him on the bench? Why not?

'I do not have to justify every decision I make, you know. I have played over 1,000 games and over 1,000 teams.

'I want him to stay this month. I want him to stay for longer because he's a very important player for us.

'When he came on tonight, you could see that he created danger straight away. We have to accept as well when you play so many games and Sanchez plays every game that sometimes a breather in the middle of the season helps a little bit.'

So is Ozil on a winter break too? Is that why he has little bit thigh and slight knee? You lying bastard.

Özim
11-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Wenker today:

So is Ozil on a winter break too? Is that why he has little bit thigh and slight knee? You lying bastard.

1000 games, 1000 teams, 200000 susbstitutions, 2% away from domination, the guy is a walking stat! Despite so much experience maybe he should explain why he's so clueless when it comes to building a decent team, most of his career has involved being a loser, looking at his entire career only a small part involves actual success which I suspect he merely stumbled across through pot luck.

Marc Overmars
11-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Wenker today:

Lame excuses.

With a few exceptions we've been playing a different 11 in every cup game. This season is probably the fewest games our first 11 would have ever played in a season for us.

Cripps
11-01-2018, 07:22 PM
:lol: on the defensive

He loves reverting to the 'what have you achieved?' line when the heat is on.

Bet the rumours of clashes behind the scenes are 100% true. This tyrannical egomaniac will not want Sanllehi and Sven anywhere near the club.

AFC Leveller
11-01-2018, 07:38 PM
When do away goals come into effect in the league cup? Say its a score draw at 90mins, do we go out?

Niall_Quinn
11-01-2018, 07:43 PM
When do away goals come into effect in the league cup? Say its a score draw at 90mins, do we go out?

In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played.

If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice.

If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.

So extra time and then, yes, if we are level we'll be out. Unless it's still 0-0 in which case pens.