PDA

View Full Version : AC Milan match reaction

Cripps
08-03-2018, 07:53 PM
He's staying :bow:

Marc Overmars
08-03-2018, 08:01 PM
What a shock, on the brink of ruin and they do that. :rolleyes:

Cracking result, controlled it from the start to finish. Well done to everyone.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:02 PM
WENGER OUT!

McNamara That Ghost...
Can you stop posting these before the match finishes? Thanks.

Anyway, well done Arsenal. For once.

Welbeck though. :haha:

He gives a lot to the team I think but a better goal repellent you will never see.

Cripps

Why? Are you looking for an excuse to ban me again?

McNamara That Ghost...
08-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Why? Are you looking for an excuse to ban me again?

When did I ban you before? Should be obvious really, the match hasn't finished. I'd ask the same of anyone else, just nobody else bothers doing it.

Niall_Quinn

Anyway, well done Arsenal. For once.

Welbeck though. :haha:

He gives a lot to the team I think but a better goal repellent you will never see.

Leave it out mate! It's the only bit of fun available to an Arsenal fan. And Wenger doesn't know about it, so he hasn't stamped it out.

Don't do his job for him.

Actually, probably do do his job for him. When can you start?

Marc Overmars
Welbeck is the modern day Heskey.

Master Splinter
08-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Wenger :bow:.

Wenger Out Brigade :haha:.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Welbeck is the modern day Heskey.

Harsh on Heskey.

He's more like Sanogo but without the postal experience.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 08:06 PM
When did I ban you before? Should be obvious really, the match hasn't finished. I'd ask the same of anyone else, just nobody else bothers doing it.

The again was referring to looking for an excuse. And I say that because you make such a minor, pedantic point, it can only be said because you're looking for an excuse to ban me. Who cares if the match thread gets made 3 minutes before we officially won 2-0? :rolleyes:

LDG
08-03-2018, 08:07 PM
:scarf:

More importantly:

Spurz :haha:

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Marcy is untested so I would hope the contract would only be for two years at no more than £7m a year.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Marcy is untested so I would hope the contract would only be for two years at no more than £7m a year.

Whatever. It's a deal. Here's my right arm as a sweetener.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:09 PM
And I have a left nut knocking around somewhere.

Xhaka Can’t
The again was referring to looking for an excuse. And I say that because you make such a minor, pedantic point, it can only be said because you're looking for an excuse to ban me. Who cares if the match thread gets made 3 minutes before we officially won 2-0? :rolleyes:

Stop yer yapping.

Thierrymon
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/300x300/81117019/genius-at-work.jpg

McNamara That Ghost...
08-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Sounds more like you want to be a martyr really.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:10 PM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/300x300/81117019/genius-at-work.jpg

How could we ever have doubted him?

LDG
08-03-2018, 08:11 PM
How could we ever have doubted him?

Biggest smokescreen EVER!

Cripps
08-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Stop yer yapping.

If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it.

LDG
08-03-2018, 08:14 PM
N_Q can I have your opinion on Vieira?

Edit: Gary change your name back. I get so confused.

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 08:14 PM
If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask for it.

Ok.

Given that it’s International Wimmin’s Day, feel free to carry on.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Women :haha:

AC Milan :haha:

Sp*rs :haha:

LDG
08-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Women :haha:

AC Milan :haha:

Sp*rs :haha:

Best post on here

Niall_Quinn
Meeeelan were shit, but you can only beat whatever is poured out in front of you.

Easy peasy. We weren't pressed. We were given time. Gattuso can't be all that, can he? A couple of videos of our recents games and he'd have seen that's exactly what you don't do against us.

Welbz was great comedy again.

The midfield lacks a ball winner, even against an opponent not overly keen to win the ball. And we are awful in the air in the middle. We should have controlled much more of the play but it was too easy for Milan to get the ball back.

Slow and plodding again, in the main. But, as we've seen before, when we up the tempo we look a lot better and cause far more problems for the opposition.

Defence wasn't horrendous. Only sliced to ribbons on 3-4 occasions, which is pretty good. And Cech hits the bench and up pops a clean sheet.

Bit of a pub performance but good enough. Shame Wenger shut it down because we could have nicked another goal to make it safe. As it is, this tie is far from done. If Milan turn up to our place with a different gameplan we had better be up for it.

Niall_Quinn
Best post on here

Except he spelt womyn, Meeeeelan and cunts wrong :doh:

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:18 PM
N_Q can I have your opinion on Vieira?

Edit: Gary change your name back. I get so confused.

Big and black.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Biggest smokescreen EVER!

12 years in the planning. Milan never saw it coming.

GP
08-03-2018, 08:19 PM
SOMETIMES MAYBE GOOD SOMETIMES MAYBE SHIT!

rodders
08-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Just hope this does not mean another reprieve for Wenger

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Just hope this does not mean another reprieve for Wenger

Keown is already explaining how the old Wenger is back.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 08:22 PM
:lol:

dostoy
08-03-2018, 08:40 PM
If you want Wenger out, which the vast majority of us do, then this is a very bad result.

I just hope Arsenal lose next week and lose the tie overall.

If Arsenal win a few matches now, then Wenger will be here next season 100%.

Only extreme bad results and small home crowds will endanger his position this summer.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:41 PM
And we thought we'd have to win a cup for him to survive.

Nope. The actual requirement was to avoid losing.

Plus ca change.

Master Splinter
08-03-2018, 08:43 PM
On the game:
"We have shown a top, top spirit tonight. When you are questioned the best way to respond is to deliver an exceptional quality of work.

We have been questioned by many who only live by questioning. Do they have the answers? Well, no. Do I have the answers always? As well you know I have been in this environment for a long time and sometimes it is a quality to respect a stable stability.

These players have shown they can compete with the best and tonight I must say have produced an outstanding global impression.

On recent results:
Are Brighton one of the best? Well, I believe there were little bit difficult circumstances on Sunday which I cannot go into now. Will I go into them in the future? Maybe.

On the ongoing speculation about his future:
Look, I give you the same answer on my future. I have had many, many opportunities to work in other jobs. Your job I must say is very easy! But no, I honour the contract I signed and I believe we must be humble to maintain the dignity and produce more nights like these."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/43330307

He's completely deluded. :doh:

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:44 PM
If he survives this season I'm going to start backing him. I'll just work him into my life as a permanent fixture and then deal with the ensuing mental issues as they crop up. Tough as it'll be, it's better than chasing impossible and blatantly obvious and rational dreams.

selassie
08-03-2018, 08:45 PM

He’s defiant as ever.

dostoy
08-03-2018, 08:46 PM
If he survives this season I'm going to start backing him. I'll just work him into my life as a permanent fixture and then deal with the ensuing mental issues as they crop up. Tough as it'll be, it's better than chasing impossible and blatantly obvious and rational dreams.

If ?????????

When.

Next season will be EVEN worse.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 08:46 PM

You're running the risk of being prosecuted for identity theft. It's getting harder to spot the difference.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 09:05 PM
If you want Wenger out, which the vast majority of us do, then this is a very bad result.

Only extreme bad results and small home crowds will endanger his position this summer.

NQ's 3rd account:bow:

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 09:08 PM

That’s the spirit!

The Emirates Gallactico
08-03-2018, 09:13 PM
We were lucky that AC Milan are crap these days and like Osterlaunds before them seemed to get stage fright facing a supposedly big team in us. Managed to string a few quality moves together that led to the goals but the fluidity still wasn't there, not surprising though given who was leading the line for us.

Thought defensively we were awful and Jack had a complete shocker. We desperately need some physicality in the centre of the pitch.

Chippy
08-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Best post on here

Agreed!!!:good:

Cripps
08-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Sp*rs losing to Italian opposition and us beating Italian opposition

Us :bow:

Cripps
08-03-2018, 09:49 PM
"I have been in this environment for a long time and sometimes it is a quality to respect a stable stability."

Stable stability :lol:

Nutty professor Wenger :bow:

Power n Glory
08-03-2018, 09:52 PM

Deluded and arrogant. No idea why journalists have taken it so easy on him considering the blatant insults he's dishing out.

Can't stand the guy. Hope we lose the tie so the smile can be wiped off his smug face.

Arsenal always find a way to disappoint. Lol. Can't even lose properly.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 09:57 PM
What is Danny Welbeck?

LDG
08-03-2018, 10:05 PM

“As well you know”

This was his best work

LDG
08-03-2018, 10:06 PM
That’s the spirit!

:lol:

The Emirates Gallactico
08-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Deluded and arrogant. No idea why journalists have taken it so easy on him considering the blatant insults he's dishing out.

Can't stand the guy. Hope we lose the tie so the smile can be wiped off his smug face.

Like Mourinho he gives them good quotes and after all these years he's become quite chummy with most of them .... at least the regular ones who cover post match interviews & press conferences. Notice how it's the Fleet Street journos who seem to be his main defenders instead of us the fans lol.

And don't be silly. After last year surely we all know better than the, "Let Arsenal fail so Wenger is sacked" argument.

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 10:17 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/133/822/Bad_Post.jpg.jpg

dostoy
That’s the spirit!

Another one who is not seeing the big picture.

Are Arsenal ever going to challenge for the PL title or even get back into the top 4 under Wenger ?

If not, he must go and losing badly in almost empty stadiums are the only ways to get him out, then and only then, things can begin to improve under a new manager.

Come on, its not hard.

Niall_Quinn
A real (not made up, it's genuine) quote from the BBC:

"Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck led the line superbly with his tireless running..."

It's just business as usual.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Just imagine if he was full-time.

Ozil has been directly involved in 100 goals in 189 appearances for Arsenal - 37 goals and 63 assists.

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Another one who is not seeing the big picture.

Are Arsenal ever going to challenge for the PL title or even get back into the top 4 under Wenger ?

If not, he must go and losing badly in almost empty stadiums are the only ways to get him out, then and only then, things can begin to improve under a new manager.

Come on, its not hard.

Your logic is far too complex for me.

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 10:22 PM
A real (not made up, it's genuine) quote from the BBC:

"Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck led the line superbly with his tireless running..."

It's just business as usual.

TBF it’s great if you’re competing in a marathon.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Yet again, we lose on the stats but win the match comfortably.

Lost possession, 51 to 49
Lost shots 16 to 8 (but had 4 on target to their 1, which is what really matters)
Lost corners 10 to 3
Gave up more fouls 13 to 8 (although the ref wearing a Milan scarf is a possible reason for that)

Tip tap does not work Wenger. Even your precious stats prove it.

Wake up you idiot!

He's not listening is he? I bet he can't even be bothered to read GW, the lazy cunt.

Niall_Quinn
08-03-2018, 10:25 PM
TBF it’s great if you’re competing in a marathon.

I didn't realise that's what he was doing

:getcoat:

What sort of a course was that then? And why did he keep falling over?

Power n Glory
08-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Like Mourinho he gives them good quotes and after all these years he's become quite chummy with most of them .... at least the regular ones who cover post match interviews & press conferences. Notice how it's the Fleet Street journos who seem to be his main defenders instead of us the fans lol.

And don't be silly. After last year surely we all know better than the, "Let Arsenal fail so Wenger is sacked" argument.

I think it will happen. Josh Kroenke coming over to see what's happening, the reports of players unhappy with training, the sale of Sanchez and Giroud, the poor results.... I think this cold be his last year if he can't turn it around.

Letters
08-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Come on, its not hard.
Your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/“husband” :pal:

Özim
08-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Predictable win against a mediocre team, as usual it'll be painted as some sort of miracle by the demi god that is Wenger. He'll be loving it, after losing loads of games this year it can all be erased by an away win against a team miles behind the leaders in an average league.

Letters
08-03-2018, 10:42 PM
Predictable win against a mediocre team, as usual it'll be painted as some sort of miracle by the demi god that is Wenger. He'll be loving it, after losing loads of games this year it can all be erased by an away win against a team miles behind the leaders in an average league.
:pal:

Letters
08-03-2018, 10:44 PM
I thought we were pretty good tonight.
Reminded me of one of those mid-90s European games when we were rubbish domestically and then somehow raised it for European games. It’s all we’ve got left this season so we might as well get behind them.

Wenger :bow:

Özim
08-03-2018, 10:51 PM
This nothing like the 90s, in those days we had players with passion, winners in the team that could beat the best,you genuinely knew they could lift their game and pull out a result out of nowhere

Today just played a mediocre team and won, predicted this would happen as Milan were way overhyped, look at where they lie in Serie A and how many points they are behind the leaders, they were the first team to drop points to the worst team to ever be in Serie A this season :lol:

Letters
08-03-2018, 10:58 PM
:pal:

Static
08-03-2018, 11:08 PM
Kos made some vital interceptions after being a mere shadow of himself this season. Needs to continue like he was tonight and not like he has been for the majority of this season.

We can still screw this up at the Emirates but it looks like we'll qualify.

Cripps
08-03-2018, 11:14 PM
We found our level.

European winners :bow:

Xhaka Can’t
08-03-2018, 11:18 PM
This nothing like the 90s, in those days we had players with passion, winners in the team that could beat the best,you genuinely knew they could lift their game and pull out a result out of nowhere

And then they would finish 12th.

Below Wimbledon.

Marc Overmars
08-03-2018, 11:21 PM
We found our level.

European winners :bow:

Yep. This is our level, it sucks but at least we might be able to succeed and that’s better than being completely out of our depth in the CL.

I want to win this thing even if it means another year of Wenker.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2018, 01:02 AM
We were lucky that AC Milan are crap these days and like Osterlaunds before them seemed to get stage fright facing a supposedly big team in us. Managed to string a few quality moves together that led to the goals but the fluidity still wasn't there, not surprising though given who was leading the line for us.

Thought defensively we were awful and Jack had a complete shocker. We desperately need some physicality in the centre of the pitch.

Didn't think it was anything to do with stage fright. Milan are a very limited team quality wise and have been for many years now and by Gattuso's own admission he is no genius.....just a decent honest manager who cares about what he's doing.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2018, 01:15 AM
Yep. This is our level, it sucks but at least we might be able to succeed and that’s better than being completely out of our depth in the CL.

Yup, me too. We've endured him for ages already and haven't won a European trophy in even longer. Let's just win the bleeding thing.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 02:52 AM

Disagree a Europa league trophy is not worth the damage he’d do given another season

Fortunately we are getting ahead of ourselves. AC Milan are shit. We haven’t beaten a contender for the competition

McNamara That Ghost...
09-03-2018, 03:29 AM
Disagree a Europa league trophy is not worth the damage he’d do given another season

Fortunately we are getting ahead of ourselves. AC Milan are shit. We haven’t beaten a contender for the competition

I think that's a bit unfair given Milan have come up against one of the contenders for the competition.

Globalgunner
09-03-2018, 04:30 AM
Fuck!. We won

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Yup, me too. We've endured him for ages already and haven't won a European trophy in even longer. Let's just win the bleeding thing.

If it were a choice between this trophy or Wenger staying another year and possibly getting a new contract, I'd take a loss in the Cup final just to see Wenger go. That's how bad things are. I didn't even watch the game. Nothing worse than losing that desire to watch your team play. If he can't motivate the team to play for a full season but he can get the going for cups, he should step down and take on a International management role.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 06:18 AM
I think that's a bit unfair given Milan have come up against one of the contenders for the competition.

When?

HCZ
09-03-2018, 06:20 AM
If it were a choice between this trophy or Wenger staying another year and possibly getting a new contract, I'd take a loss in the Cup final just to see Wenger go. That's how bad things are. I didn't even watch the game. Nothing worse than losing that desire to watch your team play. If he can't motivate the team to play for a full season but he can get the going for cups, he should step down and take on a International management role.

They played with a bit more zip but the truth was that it had nothing to do with desire

It was because they were not set up or weren’t able to press us on the ball

McNamara That Ghost...
09-03-2018, 06:31 AM
When?

Since the start.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 07:01 AM
They played with a bit more zip but the truth was that it had nothing to do with desire

It was because they were not set up or weren’t able to press us on the ball

It's our one game where we turn up for the season and gives fans a glimmer of hope. The Man Utd/Chelsea/City performance for 2018.

Bumble
09-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Give Wenger a contract extension.... obviously this performance shows he still has got it and can motivate the players, the previous few months have all had "reasons" where last night we had no excuses and won.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 07:35 AM

We won the FA Cup last season. Arsenal and Wenger put themselves in the record books with that one. I don't think that should have been enough to save his job but it might have been enough to convince out of touch Stan. The same might happen again if we win the Uefa Cup. I hope not. I suspect Stan has sent his son gets a sense of what's really happening at the club because he probably has no idea how bad things are.

Marc Overmars
09-03-2018, 07:35 AM

I’d probably turn my nose up at another FA Cup just to get him out but never a European trophy. Though I agree Milan are shite and there’s plenty for us to do if we have any designs of winning this.

Also I’m not sure how much more damage can really be done, I think 6th is about as bad as it’s going to get. Let’s be honest as well, as much as Wenger is finished, winning the EL is not an easy thing to do, so it would be an achievement worthy of respect.

If he were to get a new contract, which I don’t think is going to happen anyway then yes there might be some regret in wanting to win this competiton. I can take one final year of the old goat though if he won this, what’s another season when you’ve been miserable for as long as you can remember anyway?

selassie
09-03-2018, 07:56 AM

Me too. I don’t think we will win it anyway, there are some pretty decent teams still in it who are more than capable of knocking us out. TBH I think Atletico Madrid are clear favourites, I wouldn’t fancy us beating them in either a Final or 2 leg game as they are genuinely superior to us in every position and are having a very good season.

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 08:47 AM
I was actually cheering the team on and happy when we scored last night, it was a hilarious game tbh.

Meeeelan were fucking shocking in front of goal, they should have won by 5 or 6 tbf.

After half time I was pissed off though, as soon as I heard the comments of 'they have stopped the rot' then reality set in and Wenger looked good again.

Fuck off you shit old bastard :angry:

Letters
09-03-2018, 08:54 AM
We won the FA Cup last season. Arsenal and Wenger put themselves in the record books with that one. I don't think that should have been enough to save his job but it might have been enough to convince out of touch Stan. The same might happen again if we win the Uefa Cup. I hope not. I suspect Stan has sent his son gets a sense of what's really happening at the club because he probably has no idea how bad things are.

If we win the Europa League then how bad are things? That will be 4 trophies in 5 years.
I don't think we will win it, my dream scenario is we win it and Wenger then leaves, it would be his last chance to do so with a scrap of dignity.
As bad as things have been this season I honestly think a better manager would see us up there challenging, this is not a bad squad at all. Wenger is not getting the best out of them but there's makings of a team who could challenge almost anyone (well, not this year's City, but no-one is getting near them this year)

Letters
09-03-2018, 08:55 AM
I was actually cheering the team on and happy when we scored last night, it was a hilarious game tbh.

Meeeelan were fucking shocking in front of goal, they should have won by 5 or 6 tbf.

Bullshit. We could have been 3 or 4 up at half time.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 09:25 AM
If we win the Europa League then how bad are things? That will be 4 trophies in 5 years.
I don't think we will win it, my dream scenario is we win it and Wenger then leaves, it would be his last chance to do so with a scrap of dignity.
As bad as things have been this season I honestly think a better manager would see us up there challenging, this is not a bad squad at all. Wenger is not getting the best out of them but there's makings of a team who could challenge almost anyone (well, not this year's City, but no-one is getting near them this year)

Every season we are going through these ridiculous bad runs of form

Since December we have won 9 games drawn 6 and lost 9, that on its own should be enough to have him out of a job

Plus the fact is two seasons out of the champions league will start affecting our spending power significantly. It feels like this club is being intentionally run into the ground at times.

Wenger gets 10million a year to steward this nonsense because his ego demands that he gets that money

He keeps up this narrative about turning down other clubs to remain at Arsenal as if he deserves some loyalty

I’m not saying this for effect, Milan had less about them than Brighton and looked only marginally better than Ostersunds when we played them in Sweden. Despite that I’m being told that we have stopped the rot?

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 09:37 AM

If we win and Wenger leaves, great. But do you see Wenger walking away? Also, they could still offer him a new contract and not sack him if we win it. We're in bad shape if I'm hoping for a loss just to see him sacked and would even take a loss in a cup final to see that happen. That's bad. I'm not watching games like I used to. I refuse to go the Emirates for any game despite being offered tickets. If this goes on any longer it come to the point where I won't watch or follow at all.

How could I say I support Arsenal if it gets to that? I'm on the edge already and not the only one. If he gets another contract the disgust I'd have for this club would be overwhelming. It's bad enough being in a position where we're having to hound Wenger out. Arsene Wenger! I hate to see fans bad mouthing legends like Adams, Dixon, Keown, Wright, Henry....it's really bad and goes to show that it runs deeper than a lack of trophies.

Cripps
09-03-2018, 09:38 AM
There's an A.C. Milan fan at work :lol:

Hes getting rinsed :lol:

Goonermerree
09-03-2018, 09:39 AM
I'm greedy, I want to win the Ropey League and for Wenger to leave, preferably before the end of the season. If we win the Ropey League and Wenger stays we know how it turns out under him in the CL. Sadly, I don't think either will happen.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 09:44 AM
There's an A.C. Milan fan at work :lol:

Hes getting rinsed :lol:

I thought you were unemployed?

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Bullshit. We could have been 3 or 4 up at half time.

Its not bullshit, they managed quite a few breaks through our defence and if they could shoot straight, they could have been 5 or 6 up. They nearly scored twice in the first 5 mins or did you forget that?

We did defend well but we certainly were not impenetrable. Yes we could have been 3 or 4 up but we had Welbeck up front.

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Tbf, he didn't specify whose work the fan is at

Cripps
09-03-2018, 10:08 AM

No that's HCZ, well he sits and watches people poo for a living.

Letters
09-03-2018, 10:09 AM
If we win and Wenger leaves, great. But do you see Wenger walking away? Also, they could still offer him a new contract and not sack him if we win it. We're in bad shape if I'm hoping for a loss just to see him sacked and would even take a loss in a cup final to see that happen. That's bad. I'm not watching games like I used to. I refuse to go the Emirates for any game despite being offered tickets. If this goes on any longer it come to the point where I won't watch or follow at all.

How could I say I support Arsenal if it gets to that? I'm on the edge already and not the only one. If he gets another contract the disgust I'd have for this club would be overwhelming. It's bad enough being in a position where we're having to hound Wenger out. Arsene Wenger! I hate to see fans bad mouthing legends like Adams, Dixon, Keown, Wright, Henry....it's really bad and goes to show that it runs deeper than a lack of trophies.

The atmosphere amongst the fans is pretty poisonous - fans actively wanting us to lose is evidence of that and Wenger definitely needs to go.
As you know, it's rare for me to watch games now. I watched last night though because, well, it's the Europa and it's all we have left and it's a fairly big game and I had nothing better to do. Actually enjoyed it, which is rare these days.
If we do win the Europa then the last 5 years, purely in terms of trophies, will have been better than many teams. Our failure to compete for the biggest prizes is pretty damning, given our resources and squad.
I honestly think our squad is good enough to compete though, or close. I don't think a new manager who could get the most out of them would have to completely rebuild.
Some are acting like we're at the brink of relegation, claims that we will be next year if Wenger stays are ridiculous. We've been useless this season and we'll still probably finish 6th.
I really don't think it would take that much to turn things around.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Its not bullshit, they managed quite a few breaks through our defence and if they could shoot straight, they could have been 5 or 6 up. They nearly scored twice in the first 5 mins or did you forget that?

We did defend well but we certainly were not impenetrable. Yes we could have been 3 or 4 up but we had Welbeck up front.

From what I read about the game and from what HCZ said, Milan didn't press us and Xhaka had a good game because he had loads of space to pass the ball. Milan didn't do their homework.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Ahhh, good. Not the HCZ part. You still being employed. I thought redundancy had struck or something.

Letters
09-03-2018, 10:14 AM

Tbf I was struggling to find a stream so I might have missed a few bits, I saw one time they break through and Ospina could have conceded a pel although I don't think he touched him and it would have been harsh.
The BBC says they had 16 shots but only one on target which does sound like they were pretty erratic and should have scored more, from actually watching the game though it didn't feel like that.
We seemed to pretty much be controlling the game. They could have scored a couple of goals, we could have scored more too though.
Overall the assertion that they could and should have hammered is, as I may have intimated, bullshit.

Marc Overmars
09-03-2018, 10:28 AM
From what I read about the game and from what HCZ said, Milan didn't press us and Xhaka had a good game because he had loads of space to pass the ball. Milan didn't do their homework.

No they didn’t do their homework. I couldn’t believe how easy we had it. They’re a prestigious club but this is a team that have finished 6th, 7th, 10th and 8th in the past 4 seasons. They’re fairly ordinary now and that was evident last night, I’m surprised so many were pessimistic about getting a result. The English clubs in the CL would have all wiped the floor with them.

We played well for sure and did what we do best when allowed to express ourselves. Also, Wenger always manages to keep us from total oblivion so it’s typical Arsenal really.

Niall_Quinn
09-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Tbf I was struggling to find a stream so I might have missed a few bits, I saw one time they break through and Ospina could have conceded a pel although I don't think he touched him and it would have been harsh.
The BBC says they had 16 shots but only one on target which does sound like they were pretty erratic and should have scored more, from actually watching the game though it didn't feel like that.
We seemed to pretty much be controlling the game. They could have scored a couple of goals, we could have scored more too though.
Overall the assertion that they could and should have hammered us, as I may have intimated, bullshit.

We didn't control a single moment of that game. Everything that's going on this morning is pure fantasy. It's the legacy media rallying (in relief) for their long standing mate Wenger, and the poor old fans lapping it up as usual.

Our midfield was useless. Jack had a shocker. Xhaka improved, but only because he started kicking people (which I heartily approve of, btw) and Ramsey was nothing at all, apart from one moment where he mysteriously retained his composure in front of goal - that bit was excellent. Otherwise we were beaten to the ball time and time again. We can't win headers in the middle. We always seem to be marking empty space when the ball bounces. It's such an easy job for the opposition to pick the ball up. Fortunately Milan didn't know what to do with it and rapidly gave it back.

Defensively we were a little better, but only because we had so much time. Milan didn't threaten up front except on the few occasions when they casually passed through us, which any team can seemingly do at will these days. Kos and Mustafi were supposed to be back to their best, but what really happened is they ran around a lot, dashing to cover spaces they should already have been covering in the first place. Chambers is being lauded for being not as bad as people thought he was going to be. Kolasinac has lost all the fire he had when he joined and now looks like a very average player. AMN was by far the best and most composed player when he came on. That's because he hasn't had enough time in Wenger's system yet and still retains the basics of the game.

Ozil and Mikki were okay, mainly because they were under so little pressure and had so much time on the ball. Ozil's pass for the second goal was great, of course. Welbeck was the ongoing comedy sketch that we all know and would even love (if he were playing for somebody else). The pundits are genuinely trying to pretend he played well. It's hard to imagine anyone could buy into it, but it seems people are.

Anyway, that's what actually happened. For some reason Gattuso played the ideal game for us. No pressure. No pressing. No pace. We were all set up to sit back and soak it up, which we wouldn't have managed at all if Milan had anything about them. As it turned out, by accident, these were the perfect tactics because we have talented enough players to at least make a few chances and last night those players managed to take the chances rather than fluff them. So Wenger was probably the star of the night, by pure luck.

He's a very luck manager. What's the one "big" game that even he can get something from these days? A victory against AC Milan in the San Siro. A deadbeat Milan, but all the wow-factor and history is still there. And that's what we're milking up today. Meanwhile, make no mistake, this tie is not over. It is easily within our grasp to fuck this up at home. So the dangerous talk of winning the tournament and being favourites is desperately premature. Let's just finish this game off first and not be the complacent, assuming team that has had its arse handed to it on too many occasions.

Do we want to win? What an indictment of the manager, that some fans would actually prefer to lose everything if it meant he goes. It's a horrible catch-22 for me. If he stays he might just ruin us for another decade, no matter who we bring in to replace him. And if he gets the slightest sniff of a reason to stay, he'll stay. And if he wins a Euro competition and gets us back in the CL you just know what the journos are going to write and what the fans are going to believe. We are in a terrible situation. We need to win, but we can't afford the catastrophic consequences of winning. How did we ever get to this?

So here we are. We've conquered European legends on their own famous patch and Wenger is back at the height of his powers. Says so in the papers so it must be true.

In reality we're still up to our necks in it. It's just we haven't drowned yet. If things go according to the boring and endless plan we go from triumph to calamity against Watford. Watford won't be sitting back and admiring us like Milan did, they'll be right in our faces. If the team stands up to that, THEN it will be signs of progress. The game last night though? It was a relief not to be humiliated. That's what most thought was going to happen going into the game. And that's what people are really talking about this morning I think. Relief.

Whew. We're still alive.

And that's what it comes to. That's what signifies success at this place. We're not dead yet.

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 10:38 AM
Overall the assertion that they could and should have hammered is, as I may have intimated, bullshit.

Yeh I was going to say that, they did have 16 shots on goal, but they were shocking misses tbh.

We did play well and I am not taking that away from us at all, but had Meeeelan performed better in front of goal, it could have been a very different outcome.

I didn't say they would have hammered us as we would have scored our fair share also, but they could have been winners if they weren't so hilariously bad.

I also don't want to get caught up in a win against an admittedly poor Meeelan side. They over ran our midfield whenever they wanted to and managed 16 shots, that doesn't reflect us 'dominating'

We upped our performance, and quite rightly, the team gave a shit about a worthwhile cup tournament. But beyond that it certainly wasn't stunning.

Özim
09-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Not being funny but Milan are rubbish, as expected though we're seeing nonsense coming out from Wenger and co about how wonderful we are, it's the usual BS we get after a mickey mouse win after an awful run, it's cringeworthy.

If anyone is feeling like this was a good achievement they need to have a word with themselves, you could predicted Milan were rubbish (I did) based on where they lie in a weak league so it's no surprise we won there.

Some people need a reality check.

Letters
09-03-2018, 10:40 AM
You're right, you're not being funny :cool:

Niall_Quinn
09-03-2018, 10:46 AM
Not being funny but Milan are rubbish, as expected though we're seeing nonsense coming out from Wenger and co about how wonderful we are, it's the usual BS we get after a mickey mouse win after an awful run, it's cringeworthy.

If anyone is feeling like this was a good achievement they need to have a word with themselves, you could predicted Milan were rubbish (I did) based on where they lie in a weak league so it's no surprise we won there.

I think it was a good achievement by the barrel scraping standards Wenger sets these days. Even against a Milan team like that, even against Gattuso's bizarre tactics, we've played badly enough this season to have lost that. So I'm afraid what happened last night does constitute achievement.

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 10:46 AM
We didn't control a single moment of that game. Everything that's going on this morning is pure fantasy. It's the legacy media rallying (in relief) for their long standing mate Wenger, and the poor old fans lapping it up as usual.

Our midfield was useless. Jack had a shocker. Xhaka improved, but only because he started kicking people (which I heartily approve of, btw) and Ramsey was nothing at all, apart from one moment where he mysteriously retained his composure in front of goal - that bit was excellent. Otherwise we were beaten to the ball time and time again. We can't win headers in the middle. We always seem to be marking empty space when the ball bounces. It's such an easy job for the opposition to pick the ball up. Fortunately Milan didn't know what to do with it and rapidly gave it back.

Defensively we were a little better, but only because we had so much time. Milan didn't threaten up front except on the few occasions when they casually passed through us, which any team can seemingly do at will these days. Kos and Mustafi were supposed to be back to their best, but what really happened is they ran around a lot, dashing to cover spaces they should already have been covering in the first place. Chambers is being lauded for being not as bad as people thought he was going to be. Kolasinac has lost all the fire he had when he joined and now looks like a very average player. AMN was by far the best and most composed player when he came on. That's because he hasn't had enough time in Wenger's system yet and still retains the basics of the game.

Ozil and Mikki were okay, mainly because they were under so little pressure and had so much time on the ball. Ozil's pass for the second goal was great, of course. Welbeck was the ongoing comedy sketch that we all know and would even love (if he were playing for somebody else). The pundits are genuinely trying to pretend he played well. It's hard to imagine anyone could buy into it, but it seems people are.

Anyway, that's what actually happened. For some reason Gattuso played the ideal game for us. No pressure. No pressing. No pace. We were all set up to sit back and soak it up, which we wouldn't have managed at all if Milan had anything about them. As it turned out, by accident, these were the perfect tactics because we have talented enough players to at least make a few chances and last night those players managed to take the chances rather than fluff them. So Wenger was probably the star of the night, by pure luck.

He's a very luck manager. What's the one "big" game that even he can get something from these days? A victory against AC Milan in the San Siro. A deadbeat Milan, but all the wow-factor and history is still there. And that's what we're milking up today. Meanwhile, make no mistake, this tie is not over. It is easily within our grasp to fuck this up at home. So the dangerous talk of winning the tournament and being favourites is desperately premature. Let's just finish this game off first and not be the complacent, assuming team that has had its arse handed to it on too many occasions.

Do we want to win? What an indictment of the manager, that some fans would actually prefer to lose everything if it meant he goes. It's a horrible catch-22 for me. If he stays he might just ruin us for another decade, no matter who we bring in to replace him. And if he gets the slightest sniff of a reason to stay, he'll stay. And if he wins a Euro competition and gets us back in the CL you just know what the journos are going to write and what the fans are going to believe. We are in a terrible situation. We need to win, but we can't afford the catastrophic consequences of winning. How did we ever get to this?

So here we are. We've conquered European legends on their own famous patch and Wenger is back at the height of his powers. Says so in the papers so it must be true.

In reality we're still up to our necks in it. It's just we haven't drowned yet. If things go according to the boring and endless plan we go from triumph to calamity against Watford. Watford won't be sitting back and admiring us like Milan did, they'll be right in our faces. If the team stands up to that, THEN it will be signs of progress. The game last night though? It was a relief not to be humiliated. That's what most thought was going to happen going into the game. And that's what people are really talking about this morning I think. Relief.

Whew. We're still alive.

And that's what it comes to. That's what signifies success at this place. We're not dead yet.
That's the game I saw too :good:

Still the same problems, just glazed over with EL honey.

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 10:48 AM

Too true, one win and suddenly we are ok again and all is well.

Watch us lose to Watford and the pitchforks will be out and the meedja will be wondering what has gone wrong again.

Cripps
09-03-2018, 10:59 AM

Whew. We're still alive.

:lol: shirking :bow:

Letters
09-03-2018, 11:00 AM

I don't know what is "going on" this morning, but I saw the game.
I felt we were pretty much controlling it. You don't, fine. Agree to disagree.

I have heard literally no-one say we are suddenly favourites for the tournament. The tie yes, it was be a colossal balls us (not beyond us) to not progress, but the tournament no, who is saying that?
And who is saying that Wenger is back to the height of his powers? Personally, I'm just pleased we won. It was a game I'd have been happy with a draw from.
AC Milan may not be the force they once were but neither are we. AC Milan hadn't lost in 13, they hadn't lost in 2018. We had lost 5 of our last 6.
I think literally no-one thinks this win means all is well. You're arguing against a position which no-one takes. OK, maybe a few morons, like Ty. But very few.

As I said, the dream scenario is for us to win the Europa League and Wenger to go out with some scrap of dignity intact. I doubt either will happen, but one can dream.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 11:01 AM

I’m not sure I’d stop supporting the club if he got a contract but it’d be a token thing. I’d probably just try and take more interest in a smaller local team.

I think I’d only actively consider myself no longer an Arsenal in the very unlikely event that we were owned by Usmanov

Letters
09-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Too true, one win and suddenly we are ok again and all is well.

Says who? Who is arguing that?
FFS, can we not just enjoy a good win now?

KSE Comedy Club
09-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Says who? Who is arguing that?
FFS, can we not just enjoy a good win now?

I'm aiming my comments at the meedja, the dumb-ass pundits and the minority of idiots like Ty - rather than anyone here particularly.

It's not all about you Letters :rolleyes:

Letters
09-03-2018, 11:21 AM
It's not all about you Letters :rolleyes:

Isn't it? :(
Meanie.

I'm not sure the media or pundits are saying that either tbh.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 12:16 PM

:haha: don’t be unkind

HCZ
09-03-2018, 12:20 PM

That’s mainly because I’ve constantly stated he was

I had absolutely no evidence to make this assertion, it just amused me

In fairness anything I know about anyone here is based on taking them at their word

Apart from vieira, letters, nq and you I don’t even remember the names of people on here

That’s more because you four tend to be the most frequent posters

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 12:30 PM

In fairness anything I know about anyone here is based on taking them at their word

Apart from vieira, letters, nq and you I don’t even remember the names of people on here

I never paid much attention to that. I only asked because a post Vieira's post this week where he seemed to be celebrating unemployment.

Letters
09-03-2018, 12:33 PM
I thought he was declaring someone else unemployed because they spend all day posting on here.

Obviously I'd never do anything like that :ninja:

Cripps
09-03-2018, 12:34 PM

I'm single handedly the reason for the rebirth of GW

Me :bow:

Letters
09-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm single handedly the reason for the rebirth of GW

Me :bow:

Quantity :bow:

Quality :pal:

Mac76
09-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Xhaka improved, but only because he started kicking people (which I heartily approve of, btw)

The physical side was the only reason his purchase made sense for me, but our refs quickly started picking on him and took that away from his game - leaving him left with the one good long-range pass per game and not much else...

If things go according to the boring and endless plan we go from triumph to calamity against Watford. Watford won't be sitting back and admiring us like Milan did, they'll be right in our faces. If the team stands up to that, THEN it will be signs of progress.

Watford will do us - Deeney will already be be looking forward to scoring a couple against our cojones-less defence

HCZ
09-03-2018, 02:02 PM
The physical side was the only reason his purchase made sense for me, but our refs quickly started picking on him and took that away from his game - leaving him left with the one good long-range pass per game we've since ever since adn not much else...

Watford will do us - Deeney will already be be looking forward to scoring a couple against our cojones-less defence

Being a dirty cunt doesn’t mean you have a physical presence

Those red cards might have been controversial but the fact is he gave the referee a decision to make because of his recklessness and clumsiness

Mac76
09-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Being a dirty cunt doesn’t mean you have a physical presence

Those red cards might have been controversial but the fact is he gave the referee a decision to make because of his recklessness and clumsiness

sure, totally agree he was clumsy but rather than have a decent coach who could sort him out he just gave up tackling - it comes back to the failings of Wenger and Bould again...

Globalgunner
09-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Gattuso committed the newbie error of believing the lexicon about us being shit and instead of studying how to beat us he decided to try to outplay us. We are not so much a shit team as an underperforming team with a shit manager. Did anyone notice that we didnt do the tip tap bullshit yesterday?. Thats because it is what we do when faced with a packed defence. Every other team in the EPL has sussed us out and know its what to do. We lose the ball in midfield, panic in defence and usually concede in the process.
Instead Milan tried to outplay us with even worse players. That Frank Kessie fella is twice as bad as Xhaka, gave the ball away probably 50 times and their strikers make Welbeck look like Bergkamp. When a team plays expansive footie with us we can usually hold our own, providing we dont concede first.

Watford will be a far sterner test.

Penguin
09-03-2018, 05:24 PM
I read a couple of articles saying we were resolute defensively. They must have been watching another game than I was. We still made the same old schoolboy mistakes but Milan were just too poor to capitalise.

Mustafi's going from bad to worse. No idea what he's thinking at times. There was that one moment in the first half when there was a striker in the box behind him and he decided to sprint forward to mark their midfielder. Seriously where do they learn this stuff?

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2018, 07:11 PM

I struggle to remember anybody as the names of posters are continually changing and we even have duplicates.......add to that the Wenger get the fuhk out on mass, it becomes difficult to tell an arse from an elbow.

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Xhaka was and still is a horrible signing and even yesterday I couldn't really appreciate what good he was doing. Seemed to just keep his head down and avoided assisting the Milan attack in signature fashion...but that's it.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 07:15 PM
I struggle to remember anybody as the names of posters are continually changing and we even have duplicates.......add to that the Wenger get the fuhk out on mass, it becomes difficult to tell an arse from an elbow.

Bizarre isn’t it that so many on here would want him gone :rolleyes:

Blink 1nce Quince 2wice
09-03-2018, 07:20 PM
The point was all y'all look alike and change your names.

Cripps
09-03-2018, 07:24 PM
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-9cfc7821cd2265e2c5497513727c1d46.webp

The Emirates Gallactico
09-03-2018, 07:38 PM

I doubt it. Wenger's position is untenable regardless of what happens from here onwards. Us just failing even more including going out of the EL and not getting CL football only serves to hurt whoever the new manager is that will come in to replace Wenger. It benefits no one and just hurts us as a club.

And I doubt that it was the FA Cup win that solely influenced Stan's decision to give Wenger a new contract - as you imply the guy has zero awareness of football. Moreover, he kept Wenger around because he admired his ability to keep Arsenal profitable as a business.

Power n Glory
09-03-2018, 08:09 PM
I doubt it. Wenger's position is untenable regardless of what happens from here onwards. Us just failing even more including going out of the EL and not getting CL football only serves to hurt whoever the new manager is that will come in to replace Wenger. It benefits no one and just hurts us as a club.

And I doubt that it was the FA Cup win that solely influenced Stan's decision to give Wenger a new contract - as you imply the guy has zero awareness of football. Moreover, he kept Wenger around because he admired his ability to keep Arsenal profitable as a business.

Going off your last paragraph, what makes Wenger's position untenable if Stan is only interested in profits and the business side?

HCZ
09-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Going off your last paragraph, what makes Wenger's position untenable if Stan is only interested in profits and the business side?

Either he’s used untenable out of context or you he’s saying that you can’t keep on a constant declining trajectory and it not affect your business model

Knowing this club and it’s predilection for inaction it’s just easier for them to lend Wenger see out his current contract

The Emirates Gallactico
09-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Mainly because I think the pressure coming from the rest of the board (by all accounts they all want him gone) and his son (who's in London on a "fact finding mission") would just be too much for him to ignore anymore. Plus at this point even the most optimistic fans have gone - I think there's barely a dozen Arsenal fans among the entire global fanbase that want him to stay.

I think it's just the respect they have for Wenger that's preventing them pulling the trigger until the summer. Arseblog was making a good point about this but it seems unlikely that Ozil would have resigned unless he was given assurances about the future direction of the club, including change in the summer.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Mainly because I think the pressure coming from the rest of the board (by all accounts they all want him gone) and his son (who's in London on a "fact finding mission") would just be too much for him to ignore anymore. Plus at this point even the most optimistic fans have gone - I think there's barely a dozen Arsenal fans among the entire global fanbase that want him to stay.

I think it's just the respect they have for Wenger that's preventing them pulling the trigger until the summer. Arseblog was making a good point about this but it seems unlikely that Ozil would have resigned unless he was given assurances about the future direction of the club, including change in the summer.

Why wouldn’t he sign....Ozil wanted more money. We got other players off the wage bill to facilitate that

I know there’s this belief that players put winning things above everything else but it tends to be an overstatement

Plus Ozil loves Wenger, doesn’t put any pressure on him to perform

The Ozil thing is speculation. The suggestion that somehow Wenger wouldn’t have been involved in the contract negotiations is absurd

The Emirates Gallactico
09-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Why wouldn’t he sign....Ozil wanted more money. We got other players off the wage bill to facilitate that

I know there’s this belief that players put winning things above everything else but it tends to be an overstatement

Plus Ozil loves Wenger, doesn’t put any pressure on him to perform

The Ozil thing is speculation. The suggestion that somehow Wenger wouldn’t have been involved in the contract negotiations is absurd

Ozil could have easily got the same wage if not much higher at other clubs considering he was available on a bosman in a few months. Plenty of top teams would have snapped him up a free and he would have had his pick of elite clubs. Given that, why would he remain at our circus unless he was was assured of some kind of change of direction soon to get us out of the current rut?

And Wenger doesn't get into the weeds of contract stuff. He lets Ivan/Dick/Huss etc know whether he wants to keep or sell a player but it's then up to the contract negotiation team to iron out the details and persuade said player to stay - remember the situation with Cashley when he nearly crashed his car when he was only offered 55k a week instead of 60k by Edelman? Given he's a star player, it's likely Ivan was heavily involved in the negotiations and he would have been in a position to make promises to him and Ozil must have believed in them.

It's no surprise that the Joachim Low rumours started roughly around the time that Ozil signed.

HCZ
09-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Ozil could have easily got the same wage if not much higher at other clubs considering he was available on a bosman in a few months. Plenty of top teams would have snapped him up a free and he would have had his pick of elite clubs. Given that, why would he remain at our circus unless he was was assured of some kind of change of direction soon to get us out of the current rut?

And Wenger doesn't get into the weeds of contract stuff. He lets Ivan/Dick/Huss etc know whether he wants to keep or sell a player but it's then up to the contract negotiation team to iron out the details and persuade said player to stay - remember the situation with Cashley when he nearly crashed his car when he was only offered 55k a week instead of 60k by Edelman? Given he's a star player, it's likely Ivan was heavily involved in the negotiations and he would have been in a position to make promises to him and Ozil must have believed in them.

It's no surprise that the Joachim Low rumours started roughly around the time that Ozil signed.

I’m sorry you are mistaken. Wenger very much gets directly involved in contract negotiations

I don’t think you seem to realise the absolute power grab Wenger made when the likes of Dein and Edelman left, what he does at the club goes far beyond any normal manager.

He was the one who implemented the socialist wage structure that had people like Bendtner on 50k a week

There was interest in Ozil but if clubs had wanted him that much, he’d be gone

And the Joachim Low rumours are just that. Totally unsubstantiated

Power n Glory
10-03-2018, 02:26 AM

How do we know Ozil could have got the same wages anywhere else? It was dead quiet for him over the summer and his agent would have been putting out the feelers to see how much he could get for a deal. Ozil has been underwhelming here at Arsenal and not many clubs are looking for a number 10 like Ozil. It's a position that's evolved in football and I doubt clubs would have been looking at his recent performances here at Arsenal and thinking he's worth £350k a week.

Wenger was the one saying Ozil was likely to stay. How comes Sanchez left? How comes other players haven't signed a deal if the word is going around about Wenger's departure?

Goonermerree
10-03-2018, 09:25 AM
I don't think Ozil justifies the wages he's been given, I'm sure we could have got somebody better in for those wages. We just didn't have to pay a huge transfer fee for him so we kept him on the 'cheap'.

Xhaka Can’t
10-03-2018, 09:30 AM
HE’S STEALING A LIVING!!!!!!!!!!!

Power n Glory
10-03-2018, 11:39 AM

I'm hoping pressure from the Board will force Wenger out and that Josh Kroenke is here to give him the boot but I don't know. I was reading this the other day and I'm not sure what to make of it.

‘I think that victory through harmony can take a lot of different meanings, but for me victory through harmony comes from communication. ‘You got to have open and honest dialogue about the reality that we are on because if we are sugar coating anything about ourselves, about our team, about our direction, we’re only kidding ourselves and we’re only going to be worse off for it in the long run.’

What if he's actually only here to learn more about the club because he intends to become a more active Board member and he's preparing to give someone at Board level the boot and not the manager?

I'd have to hear the context of the quote, but that doesn't sound great to me. I'm hoping he means 'open and honest dialogue' with the manager and letting him know the results aren't good enough but I also get the feeling he's talking about dialogue with the fans because his father has the Silent Stan nickname. He could mean the Board have been 'sugar coating' things with Wenger but I also get the feeling he's referring to fan expectation and I hope we're not gearing up for another 'we can't compete' type of speech and 'Wenger is doing a fabulous job considering the circumstances'. We've heard it all before.

I'm hoping this is his last contract but it doesn't sound like Wenger is ready to step down just yet.

Penguin
10-03-2018, 12:17 PM
I don't think Ozil justifies the wages he's been given, I'm sure we could have got somebody better in for those wages. We just didn't have to pay a huge transfer fee for him so we kept him on the 'cheap'.

We might have had trouble attracting a better player if Ozil followed Alexis out the door. No decent player would look at our average team sheet and choose to come here.

Goonermerree
10-03-2018, 12:29 PM
We might have had trouble attracting a better player if Ozil followed Alexis out the door. No decent player would look at our average team sheet and choose to come here.

I don't think Ozil leaving or staying will impact that either way.

The Emirates Gallactico
10-03-2018, 02:11 PM
I’m sorry you are mistaken. Wenger very much gets directly involved in contract negotiations

I don’t think you seem to realise the absolute power grab Wenger made when the likes of Dein and Edelman left, what he does at the club goes far beyond any normal manager.

He was the one who implemented the socialist wage structure that had people like Bendtner on 50k a week

There was interest in Ozil but if clubs had wanted him that much, he’d be gone

And the Joachim Low rumours are just that. Totally unsubstantiated

You're conflating his power/authority with him being omnipresent.

Wenger does get final say on nearly everything at the club (or certainly used to until recent changes) including how the wage system should operate, but outside of telling a player whether he has a future or not at the club & perhaps telling them directly whether he wants them to stay, he doesn't get into the technical details of contracts. He's just one man ffs who can't be everywhere doing nearly everything at the club. That's left to Dick Law, Ivan etc who meet with the player representatives and really hammer out the details to convince them to stay which is where the assurances would have been given I suspect.

And you can't be telling me that another top club wouldn't have picked up Ozil on a FREE? I mean just for marketing purposes he's valuable asset - he's got more twitter followers than the club. The likes of PSG, Man Utd, Chelsea, Juventus etc would have been all over him.

Of course. The club are hardly going to admit to them or give them any credence at this stage are they? As I said above, they've got too much respect for Wenger to dismiss him until at least the summer. But it's the timing of them that was very convenient - they came straight after Ozil resigned.

How do we know Ozil could have got the same wages anywhere else? It was dead quiet for him over the summer and his agent would have been putting out the feelers to see how much he could get for a deal. Ozil has been underwhelming here at Arsenal and not many clubs are looking for a number 10 like Ozil. It's a position that's evolved in football and I doubt clubs would have been looking at his recent performances here at Arsenal and thinking he's worth £350k a week.

Wenger was the one saying Ozil was likely to stay. How comes Sanchez left? How comes other players haven't signed a deal if the word is going around about Wenger's departure?

He'd be on a free PnG which means he would have got a lot higher wages than had he been bought with a transfer fee as that would have just either gone into a signing on bonus or higher wages. That's usually how these things work - I think Kolosanic is on ridiculously high wages here for the same reason.

And I don't disagree that he's been underwhelming which is why no one was prepared to pay a fee for him, but as I said to HCZ plenty of clubs would have taken him on a free.

There's no doubt he's a very talented player and like a lot of players at the club currently, we're not getting the best out of him due to Wenger's incompetence. A change of club could have caused him to flourish. And 10's may be falling out of favour but talented, skillful players like Ozil are always valuable - Man City have the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogen regularly featuring for them in their lineup. Ozil on his day is as good if not better than them.

I thought it was clear Sanchez went for money primarily. Only about 3 or 4 clubs in the world can offer 600k a week and we're certainly not one of them. Jack's stalling because we've offered him lower wages and Ramsey has apparently just changed agents so we have to wait around a bit to get him resigned.

HCZ
10-03-2018, 03:32 PM
You're conflating his power/authority with him being omnipresent.

Wenger does get final say on nearly everything at the club (or certainly used to until recent changes) including how the wage system should operate, but outside of telling a player whether he has a future or not at the club & perhaps telling them directly whether he wants them to stay, he doesn't get into the technical details of contracts. He's just one man ffs who can't be everywhere doing nearly everything at the club. That's left to Dick Law, Ivan etc who meet with the player representatives and really hammer out the details to convince them to stay which is where the assurances would have been given I suspect.

And you can't be telling me that another top club wouldn't have picked up Ozil on a FREE? I mean just for marketing purposes he's valuable asset - he's got more twitter followers than the club. The likes of PSG, Man Utd, Chelsea, Juventus etc would have been all over him.

Of course. The club are hardly going to admit to them or give them any credence at this stage are they? As I said above, they've got too much respect for Wenger to dismiss him until at least the summer. But it's the timing of them that was very convenient - they came straight after Ozil resigned.

He'd be on a free PnG which means he would have got a lot higher wages than had he been bought with a transfer fee as that would have just either gone into a signing on bonus or higher wages. That's usually how these things work - I think Kolosanic is on ridiculously high wages here for the same reason.

And I don't disagree that he's been underwhelming which is why no one was prepared to pay a fee for him, but as I said to HCZ plenty of clubs would have taken him on a free.

There's no doubt he's a very talented player and like a lot of players at the club currently, we're not getting the best out of him due to Wenger's incompetence. A change of club could have caused him to flourish. And 10's may be falling out of favour but talented, skillful players like Ozil are always valuable - Man City have the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogen regularly featuring for them in their lineup. Ozil on his day is as good if not better than them.

I thought it was clear Sanchez went for money primarily. Only about 3 or 4 clubs in the world can offer 600k a week and we're certainly not one of them. Jack's stalling because we've offered him lower wages and Ramsey has apparently just changed agents so we have to wait around a bit to get him resigned.

I’m sorry but again you are wrong, Wenger is a micro manager and when it comes to how much a player is going to earn it would not happen without his prior consent. On a footballing level he controls EVERYTHING, he’s the first person at London Colney and the last person there at night.

Why do you think he won’t go? This is his life there is nothing else for him.

Power n Glory
10-03-2018, 09:12 PM
@TEG it still doesn't make sense. If Ozil could earn more money elsewhere plus play for a better team and a new manager, why would he sign a new deal with Arsenal based off a flimsy promise that Wenger will go? Why take the risk? Anything could happen after signing that deal. Such as this scenario right here where he's wasted another season. I don't believe any promises were made to him about Wenger's future and I don't think there were any other clubs out there willing to pay him what we paid.

scallywag
11-03-2018, 01:28 PM
@TEG it still doesn't make sense. If Ozil could earn more money elsewhere plus play for a better team and a new manager, why would he sign a new deal with Arsenal based off a flimsy promise that Wenger will go? Why take the risk? Anything could happen after signing that deal. Such as this scenario right here where he's wasted another season. I don't believe any promises were made to him about Wenger's future and I don't think there were any other clubs out there willing to pay him what we paid.

That sounds about right to me.